Speaker 1: Stand Lynch in Taco. Good morning, it is time to check it out. Latest science and technology news on JRR brought you by the Orlando Science Center.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: And right after this segment, we're going to have a pair of Orlando Science Center tickets to give somebody. We'll give you the number at the end of the segment. But a great place to take the kids over the summer. Adults have a blast out there air conditioned. H yeah, exactly. Well, you get to experience all the innovative science and action.
Speaker 1: Man, they have it all out there. Speaking of innovations, there'll be a lot on display in just over an hour as the official grand opening to the public for Epic Universe. One of the good things about having all of these great parks right here in central Florida is when as they're built and maintained and operated, it brings a lot of local folks into the mix in the work process. And one of those companies that did a lot of the behind the scenes stuff with the immersive experiences you'll be experiencing at the new park based right here in central Florida in Winter Garden, Burkett Engineering, see them getting a profile a lot for the last forty years, they've been a big part of not just this latest park, but all the parks, all the parks, so you know, you got a lot of people working there and they've expanded globally with They can't really go into the specifics of what they've done there, but it's a lot of their handiwork is going to be, you know, on display today as they helped Universal bring to life the vision for their latest park. So if you're on your way out there today or you're already there, you know, standing in line, enjoy yourself.
Speaker 4: You're part of a historic day. You're in Central Florida. Yeah, I told you earlier. They threw a pre like a pre day out of the park for a bunch of people that were involved in help them build different things, contractors and our listeners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're part of it.
Speaker 1: Johnny Ivy, the former Apple executive who designed the iPhone, has started a new company, and open Ai is buying Ivy's startup and a deal that could bring artificial intelligence to a brand new range of devices, moving beyond just screens. The deal will bring he and his team of about fifty five employees, including engineers and scientists, to open Ai will. They will be taking over creative and design control. Ivy, who left Apple in twenty nineteen, co founded the io system with three others about a year ago. The deal is worth around six point five billion dollars, including a twenty three percent stake in open Ai. Just this moving it to speed to sound here. So the guy goes, you know, from doing his thing with Apple and part of the design to the iPhone to bringing this new startup of his getting scooped up immediately by open Ai. And now he gets to turn around and cash in and still run the whole deal.
Speaker 3: That is Intand what do we get in the radio for because we're too dumb to do things like this?
Speaker 2: Yes that's true.
Speaker 1: Look, this isn't This is literally not rocket science. Oh no, so we told you a while back that by now pay later service. Klarna had recently expanded to include food delivery. You can finance your food delivery.
Speaker 3: It's a turning out to be exactly what we thought the biggest nightmare for people they.
Speaker 1: Burned, debt losses swelling at Klarna especially. Is it coincidence that it lines up with the expansion to cover food delivery stuff? I don't know, but the consumer credit losses through klarna is buy now pay later service swelled by seventeen percent just in the first quarter, now hitting one hundred and thirty six million dollars. People are using these buy now later borrows on an increasingly frequent basis.
Speaker 3: Ed Oh, this is this careful, This is careful. It's already blowing up in people's faces. They can't pay off their things. And we know money's tight, but it is for us. It's for everybody except for that guy who invented the apple stuff.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, Taco, you're getting your wish. And we've talked about this plenty. It's now going to be reality. In May of next year, twenty twenty six, a food pill. The Enhanced Games will take place in Las Vegas. Oh yeah. The Olympic style sporting event hopes to infuse unprecedented levels of science, money, and performance enhancing drugs into a formal competition. Athletes will be allowed, if not outrting courage, to use peds and we're talking steroids, testosterone and growth hormones that are legal to possess but banned in sports. The hope is to remove the stigma surrounding the use of the substance and promote safer ways to push the limits of human performance. This is awesome.
Speaker 2: Get them out there and as juiced up as they can be.
Speaker 3: I'm talking, we're going back through the days of the coliseum.
Speaker 1: Pat, if you're a newer to the show, Taco for a long time has advocated over a decade, Yes, that all performance enhancing substances should be permitted in professional sports, just well to have peak performance and peak entertainment for the fans. Yeah, which I'm not quite sure I agree with him on that, but I respect your position.
Speaker 2: I understand the heart attack action.
Speaker 3: That's you know, stigma that's attached to but I do want to point out it's.
Speaker 1: Stigmatized heart attack victims.
Speaker 3: If you are I think I started talking about this almost fifteen years ago. If every one of those athletes is juicing, ah, those sports are, don't. There's gonna be tackles in football where a helmet pops off with a head in.
Speaker 1: It the centerfield fence, and baseball is now eight hundred feet back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Google is bringing its flagship language model to Chrome for Mac and Windows users. That would be Gemini, the company's AI generated browsing assistant known as Gemini will be available on Chrome so users can ask follow up questions while searching for websites, and future versions will be able to navigate the web and take other actions on behalf of the user. The announcement came during the Developer Conference where Google has rolled out updates to its artificial intelligence ambitions and Taco gets more and more scared every time I say AI or artificial intelligence.
Speaker 3: You can see my anxiety, can't you. Somebody texted in, I don't know if this is tech or they, but that the fringe festival's going on this weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's nice. This is this is flat out scary. Astronauts aboard China's space China has a space station too. Uh. They have discovered a previously unknown microbe that has also been occupying Low Earth orbit. It's also inside the Chinese space station. A group of scientists examined swabs from inside the space station and found the form of bacteria not known to inhabit Earth. No COVID. The microbe covid. The microbe is just pretty resilient, with the ability to cover itself in a biofilm that's like a protective shield. And now researchers are trying to figure out how to protect the health of the astronauts and keep the bacteria from making it to Earth. Get Get, Get those folks at wuhan on it. Yeah, it's all I'm thinking is batstew. We're all right back to it people. Oh my god. They need to just seal that thing up and blow it up. Do it? Yeah, blow it up. Done.
Speaker 3: Then if it multiplies like you know, gremlins when you put water on them, and then that's all.
Speaker 1: The United States, Surprise, Surprise, is the number one source of spam emails in the entire world. Be Proud, USA, Well done. The first mass produced flying car will go on sale early next year. The base model is eight hundred thousand dollars. It's basically just a sports car with retractable wings, so not a hover car where you could, you know, just lift off out of traffic. You're still gonna need a runway and a pilot's license. It's a company in Slovakia called Klimb Vision. They say it's new air car will be reasonably priced at eight hundred thousand dollars and up to a million if you want to add upgrades.
Speaker 3: You know, I do back steroids and sports but I do not back hovering cars or space you know, cars that drive in the air.
Speaker 1: Because you're not down with the Jetsons lifestyle man.
Speaker 2: Come on, Pat, weird the cane and handle I four all right.
Speaker 1: With the holiday weekend coming up, record travel, of course, if you're traveling, safe travels, and also beware beware the You know, when you're stopping for gas and filling up and using your cards, be looking on the lookout for those skimmers. If something looks amiss at the gas pump, go inside and pay. There actually is a device called skim scan that is available. It's an electronic reader that detects skimmers at gasp on. The state agencies use these. How much are they They're they're kind of pricey.
Speaker 3: I think every convenience store should have a skim scan or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: They're five hundred bucks on Amazon. There are some competitors that are less than that. But the skim scan technology does work. It literally that you just inserted into the card reader and it gives you a greener a red light.
Speaker 3: That should be the gas people's job, not that, not the actual workers, but the owners of convenience stores, you know, hire those armed guards with machine guns for Bob World order and good skim scanners.
Speaker 1: And also there's this Airbnb's anti party technology in effect for the Memorial Day weekend. If you're thinking of booking a last minute Airbnb for Memorial Day weekend to throw a rager, you might encounter some interference. Airbnb announced the anti party technology will be in effect for Memorial Day also the fourth of July weekend. This isn't brand new, it's the fourth year they've done it, and it doesn't mean they're listening in to see if you're too loud. It's just an algorithm that looks for red flags when you're booking a place. It looks at a range of factors, including property type, how long you're staying in, how far away you live, and whether the booking is last minute or not. Some of those spread flags that might indicate hey, rather than have a party here, let's book somebody else's joint and wreck it so you might run into that.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that they have that just for the homeowner's sake.
Speaker 1: Let's check it out. How about some Orlando Science Center tickets.
Speaker 2: They're just a phone.
Speaker 3: Call of the number to call four oh seven nine one six one oh one one.
Speaker 1: Was randomly picked one of the lines that's lightening up here. If that's you, we'll send you to the Science Center
Speaker 4: Clinchendaco on demand download the iHeartRadio app