Speaker 1: Hey, guys, I get it. Ads suck. I pay to get rid of ads on YouTube and some of my other favorite podcasts. My four dollars a month tier get you an AD free listening experience.
Speaker 2: Achilles is the one who was meant to be the son of Zeus. He was meant to be immortal and meant to maybe even overthrow his father and be the king of the heavens. Instead, he's imbortal and justin I think you can imagine that throughout his young life, his mother probably kept reminding him, oh, my son, you short lived of all people, And that's what she says throughout the illio and every time she sees him, in fact, every time she sees somebody else, she says, have you heard about my son Achilles? Most short lived of all portals? So you can imagine that Achilles will be obsessed with his own mortality, And to me, that's the backstory, my amiliate here is a human being wrestling with his own mortality.
Speaker 3: The disclaimer to the fair season Karen's out there, how dare You? All guests only show do not reflect the opinions of the host. The purpose of the show is to have interesting conversations, stretch our minds and.
Speaker 4: Grow not what we want.
Speaker 3: If you are looking for an echo chamber, viewers and listener discretion's abused.
Speaker 4: You talk about extreme.
Speaker 1: What is happening and what is the Hold out your glass because we're about to feel.
Speaker 5: The join us as we travel and explore the vast unknown. It's a hero's journey with dragons to slay, damsels to save, and innumerable treasures to hoard, torches high, you know, look at it from a different perspective, different perspective, differ.
Speaker 6: Okay, Hey, what is happening and what is up? Hold out your glass.
Speaker 1: Because you have chosen wisely, because we are about to feel it. Welcome to the Prometheus Lins Podcast, the place with the conversations are always in lightning. I'm your host, Justin and here we like to use the allegory of the Prometheus Lens to take a second look at everything. Hey, if you knew to the channel, welcome to the Hero's Journey. Be sure and hit that like button and hit that subscribe button down below. We'll have our socials come down check us out our various platforms, and that would be much appreciated. But today we got a returning guest. We got Lou Marcos. We had a great conversation in my very first episode on The Hero's Journey. We recently had him on with doctor Judd Burton and we talked about the Greek Dark Ages and kind of laid out a timeline. It was a real good conversation, just to be a fly on the wall and set in. So I asked Lou to come back and take a deeper dive into the Iliad. So I'd like to welcome Lou back to the show. Lou, thank you for your time.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I appree, thanks, justin good to be back on.
Speaker 1: And we extended the invite to doctor Judd. He has some engagements he has, but I did send the email. He said that he may come in if he has time, so we may get a swinging guest in the middle of this discussion.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: Well, for those that maybe miss those other episodes, Lou, just give everybody an introduction and let everybody know a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: Well. Thanks. My name is Lou Marcos and I'm a professor of English, scholar and residence at Houston Christian University. We used to be called Houston Baptist and I've been teaching that for thirty three years. I grew up in New Jersey and went to Colgate and Upset in New York, then on to the University of Michigan as an English professor. I teach the Romantic and Victorian poets, but I also do anything and everything with ancient Greece and Rome, and also at C. S. Lewis and jer R. Tolkien, and I've published lots of books, and lots of my books are about bringing Athens and Jerusalem together. That means, let's take our Greco Roman heritage and our Judeo Christian heritage and try to bring them together. So I write books with names like from Achilles to Christ, or from Plato to Christ, or next year, from Aristotle to Christ, or the myth main fact. And so I'm always interested in mythology and in archetypes, in what we can learn from myths and stories and these archetypes, these images or events or themes that keep repeating themselves across all different cultures and all different times. And what we'd like to do, like you do, justin, is to follow the argument wherever it leads. And so we want to go in a thinking holiday, if you will. And I love above all the epics, the Iliad, the Odyssey, the Eneid, Dante's Divine Comedy, Milton's Paradise Lost, all the way on up to Wordsworths Prelude, and Tennyson's in Memoriams. So I am particularly an epic fanboy.
Speaker 1: All right, me too? And the thing is is some people find it hard to separate whether these are historical accounts. Are these just you know, stories, legends, myths?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Is there a distinction in these? And what's your opinion? Only the Iliad I think.
Speaker 2: I mean normally, when we talk about a myth like Perseus cutting off the head of Medusa, we seem to be in a very mythic world, more of a fantasy world. But when we move into legend, I think we've got a core of historical stuff, but it's elaborated on. And the best example of this in the world, in the Northern European world are the stories of King Arthur. I think there probably was a King Arthur, probably sometime between the downfall of Rome and the sort of Anglo Saxons taking over. Arthur seems to have been a transitional figure. He probably didn't do all the things that he does in the legends, but I think based in a real historical event and a real historical period, we start elaborating a good thing I remember doing and report as a kid on the Three Musketeers, and it turns out that there probably was an Athos, Porthos and Aramis, and some of the things that happened in the Three Musketeers probably happened, but not at the same time and with the same people. So Duma is joining things together. Maybe there wasn't Achilles, but maybe he didn't do everything that we attribute to him. But I think when we're in the world of legend, we have a foot in history, an attempt to understand past and what we stand for. Maybe the best simple example of legend is the story of George Washington cutting down the cherry tree. I cannot tell a lie. Father. Well, apparently most historians nowadays say that never happened, But in one sense it doesn't make a difference because we hold on to that because it tells us that our first president and America values honesty. I don't know if that's true anymore justin but it was true at a certain time. So legends like that have a foot in reality and are probably capturing a real memory and we talked about this a little bit before with Judd. A lot of legends are carried down by the oral tradition, where it's passed down by a series of bars, and those things were studied a lot, and it turns out that the oral tradition is much more reliable than we often think. I'm so tied Justine of the New Atheist. When they talk about the Bible or the Gospel stories, they always say, didn't you ever play the game telephone where you whisper in somebody's ear? First of all, I played telephone as a kid, and it never was wacko. Okay, First of all, they have this idea. And second of all, the oral tradition is not a game. I mean the oral tradition, especially amongst the Jews and the scribes passing things down, there was a system and a method to it that was reliable. It wasn't just some kid's game. It was I mean, especially if the oral tradition, it's when a civilization is illiterate, how are they going to carry down their values and their beliefs and the heroic acts of their ancestors, their forefathers. Well, they carry it down in an oral tradition until it is written down. Now, a lot of people say Genesis was oral tradition, and they think that that means it's not true. Well, mean it's not true. I do believe Moses gathered together the oral tradition, but he did it under the direct inspiration of God. So just saying something is oral tradition doesn't mean it is not true. Again, people play these games. We just got this studio value and you know what I mean, justin you've heard it. That's this ridiculous notion about telephone, and that's what's going on, and it is not going on that way in any shape or form. Our ancestors are always smarter than we think they are. Let's put it that way. They're the ones that build those incredible buildings, and we still don't know how they did it. We don't know who they got those giant stones up mountains and things like that. So we have to have a little humility and avoid what C. S. Lewis called chronological snobbery, the idea that newer must be better and older must be ignorant. And if we don't believe in something anymore, it must have been disproven. But nobody ever disproved miracles. David Hume thought he did the shoddiest chapter I've ever read miracles in any shape or form. But people still think that because most people, but the literary people, don't believe it. It's been disproven, and nobody ever disproved it. They just stopped believing in it because they don't like accountability basically.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And the thing is too is you know, you look back and you talk about the Megolithic structures and the legends, and yeah, they might have you know, elaborated, you know, and stretched the truth a little bit or you know, added some things to make the story more you know, fantastical. But at the same time, it's like you look at things like the Great Pyramid, you know, Manku Pichu and all this stuff, it's like, we can't do it today. And then the stuff they did try to build later was no, it couldn't hold a candle to it. So it's like it you know, it's reverse. It's you think things you get better at building things and doing things over time, but in fact, when we look in history, it's the opposite.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're trying to recreate some of these things, and it's a really crappy job or crappy imitation. So it's like, we don't know what that world looked like back then. It might have been straight up Tolkien, you know, reducea snakehead people and stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean, and you know, so many people have done these things where they'll take a picture of you know, like like an image on a temple or something of a dragon, and then they'll put it next to a dinosaur and they often look quite alike. I mean, it's amazing. And all over the world these talks of dragons and things like that. So again, a little humility, I mean, you know, also, the ancient world was more fluid than we think, going back and forth, traveling back and forth, engaged in trade and things like that. And it's just like today where trading partners are all of a sudden enemies and they have a war, and then after the war they become trading partners again. So and you know, this idea of not ader standing the difference between the absolute fact and a legend. How many times have you seen a movie based on historical events and it is basically true, but it's been dramatized, and you know, certain characters are collapsed together. The timetable is usually collapsed, but we still recognize it as a mostly true account of something that happened in history, so we can imagine it in film. But then we see it in an ancient book and we want to just, I don't know, somehow dismiss it as all just myth.
Speaker 1: Well, if we go into the Aliad itself, and basically for those that are unfamiliar with it, it's a Greek epic and it's about the ten year Trojan War, and it starts off basically and you kind of get like a backstory of the one of the main characters in the story of Achilles you want to go into.
Speaker 2: So who is Achilles? Okay, well, it's a very interesting backstory that you almost have to know it before you start reading the Ilien, which is kind of what's expected. Just like anybody watches a Life of Christ, they kind of know what's going to happen, right, I think they know he's not going to be let go, all right, but we bring it into this.
Speaker 1: So the backstory is a sixth prime example.
Speaker 2: Oh true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't elaborate much because everyone knew that story and they had oral tradition and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it's almost just a little bit of a trigger to say, Okay, you know this, now, let's move on to the other details. So there was Zeus right now. First there was a guy named Aornos to heaven, and Aronos was overthrown by his son Promos, and then later on Pronos was overthrown by his son Zeus. Now Zeus, the god that we know Jupiter for the Romans, and Zeus heart a prophecy that he would have a son that would overthrow him, and he wanted to stop this from happening, and so he said, I have to identify who the goddess is who will give birth to a son that is stronger than his father. I can figure out who that goddess is, I will keep her as far away from me as possible, and so I will avoid this fate falling upon me. But he didn't know who that person was. So justin he turned to your buddy, mister Prometheus, whose name means forethought, and he said, tell me the name of the goddess. And Prometheus knew, but he wouldn't tell him because originally Prometheus had actually helped Zeus to overthrow his fellow Titans, because he believed that Zeus was more civilized, more just, But afterwards Zeus became a little more tyrannical. One of the things he did was he was cruel to the humans he created, and that's why Prometheus stole the fire to help man. And everybody knows that Prometheus was put up the rock, right, And that eagle hums every day and devours his liver, and during the night it grows back, so the next day the eagle can come and devour his liver again. And justin as I tell my students, people think that's a myth, but that eagle actually exists. It's called the irs. See, they devour money, they let it grow back, they devour it again. So there are always truth in myths. So what everybody thinks the only reason Zeus did that was because he stole the fire. But the other reason he did it in myth is that he would not divulge the name of the goddess. Well, after being punished on the rock for a thousand years, finally there was a reconciliation between the two. Hercules actually freed him and he told Zeus the name of the goddess was Thetus goddess of the sea, and so Zeus is like, that's it. I'm never going to go. But that was not enough. He said. The only way I can diffuse the danger is I'm going to force Thetis to marry a mortal name, right, and that's cruel because the mortal man will grow to die, Thetis will stay young forever. So she forces it, forces her to marry Pelias, a Greek king. But then Zeus feels bad about it, and so he decides, okay, to make up for it, I am going to give her the best wedding party that anyone has ever had. We're going to hold it up on Mount Olympus. We're going to invite everyone. It is going to be the wedding of the season. But because they wanted it to be fun, they did not invite eires eeris, which is the Greek word for discord or strife. She's the goddess of discord. Nobody wants her to come. Well, hm of course she found out and she crashed the party, very similar to Maleficen in this. In the Sleepy Beauty Stories, so Eras comes, but instead of insulting everybody, she takes a apple out of gold. She fashions a golden apple, and she writes on it to the fairest, and then she throws it into the group, and then she leaves, and immediately all the gods and goddesses claim the apple for themselves. After a long fight, after all the feathers come down and everything. There's three goddesses that refuse to relinquish the apple. One of them is here, the wife of Zeus. The other one is Athena, the goddess of wisdom and war, then also the daughter of Zeus. And the third is Aphrodite, also Zeus's daughter, the goddess of love. And all of them claim the apple, and they go to Zeus and say you choose, and Zeus says, I'm not falling into this trap. You ladies are all pretty in your own way. He's not messing around with it. None of the gods will answer, of course they're smart, but these main goddesses won't accept that, and so they go to the earth to find a stupid mortal who will judge. And they go down to what is modern day Turkey, and they find a shepherd named Paris leaning on his staff, and boom, they show up in front of three beautiful naked goddesses, and they say, you choose who the fairest is. But because they're vain, they want to hedge their bets, and so one by one they go up and whisper into Paris's ear a bribe. And so Harrah says, give me the apple, and I will make you the greatest king of all time. And then Athena whispers in his ear, give me the apple, and I will make you the greatest soldier, greatest of all warriors. And then Aphrodite Venus says, give me the apple, and I will give you the most beautiful woman in the world. And Paris, being young and stupid, chooses Aphrodite and gives her the apple, making perpetual enemies with Hera and Athena. Now he should have read the fine print, because if you find the most beautifulman in the world, she's probably already married to somebody else. She wouldn't wait around for you. Boz oh, come on. So the most beautiful in the world was named Helen, and she was married.
Speaker 1: Good for you, She's good for a few.
Speaker 2: That's that's what it's good. See A good way to put it. It's like, what wait for you, buddy? And so her name is Helen, and she's married to Middle Ages the Keeves Sparta, which is where my family is Probab by the way, Sparta. So the uh Now we need backstory to the backstory, because who's Helen. Well, one day Zeus fell in love, or we should really say he fell in lust with a mortal woman named Lyda Leda, and so he came down to seduce her, but in the form of a swan. There's a famous poem by William Butler Yates called Lyda and the Swan, and many many famous paintings of that. Event Lyda of the swanp she becomes pregnant. Nine months later, she gives birth to an egg. Out of the egg pops Helen the most beautiful woman in the world.
Speaker 7: Hi everybody, I'm Chris Vick. I'm the founder Squatch Survival Gear, and today I'm here to talk to you about some of our most popular packs. In twenty seventeen, I found in Squatched Survival Gear because I was tired of seeing low quality, mass per these packs flooding the American market. I decided I'd make a pack that was one hundred percent designed and manufactured in the United States. And today I'm here to talk to you about some of our most popular packs. This is the Knighthowler. It was designed for eboc and travelers. As you can see, it's small. It's roughly ten by twelve inches, designed for everyday carrying. The pass through pad allows you to put it on your luggage when you travel.
Speaker 4: This is the Rugaroot.
Speaker 7: It's very civilianized, lots of attachment points. This is a twenty five liter pack. We designed it for a little lighter load. If you need more than the night Howler should try this. This is the moth Man, very similar to the Rugaroo, roughly the same size, but it's designed for carrying a much heavier load. The removable waste belt will help you carry that extra load. Boss Scott your retaining strap if you're going to take that on a.
Speaker 2: On a travel trip.
Speaker 1: This is the cocka More.
Speaker 7: This would be your first seventy two hour pack. As we used to say in the Army. It comes within an internal frame, totally adjustable straps, heavily padded. You can carry heavy loads.
Speaker 4: Carry lots of gear.
Speaker 1: This is the rock Ape.
Speaker 7: It's a forty five liter pack, same internal frame, same great padded straps that you like with a few extra features. If you're wondering what's with all the crazy names, well, that's because finding one hundred percent American made is as hard as finding bigfoot in the woods. When you're ready to carry our packs, contact us at squatchoboble gear dot com or any of our social medias.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you're tuning in every single week, then that means you enjoyed the content. Well, did you know that there is an all access pass for less than one stop at McDonald's. It can get you a month's worth of members only episodes, access to a private community of like minded brothers and sisters. This also gives you a monthly Q and A with authors and speakers and guests that we've had on the show. And not only is this just all for you, you are also helping to ensure that I keep doing this show each and every single week. So if you enjoy the content, hey, help me out with a cheeseburger or a happy meal once a month and you will see everybody that get reinvested into this show and things that will just filter straight back to you the listener. So head on over to Prometheus Lynn's podcast dot com, follow the members link and I'll see you guys on the other side.
Speaker 2: Now. At this time, Greece is a bunch of separate city states with their own kings scattered across, kind of like Italy was until one hundred and fifty years ago. All separate states, and they all wanted Helen as their wife, kind of a trophy wife. So Helen's earthly father said, look, I don't want to war here, so we're going to hold an event, sort of like an Olympics. Right, We'll all compete, and whoever wins can have my daughter's hand in marriage. So they got together and they were about to compete, but then Odysseus, who smart, says, wait a minute, what if somebody wins and somebody else steals her away, We're still going to have a war. So they all put their hands together and they pledge that whoever wins the contest will be the rightful husband of Helen, and they will all defend him if Helen is stolen away. Well you can see where this is going. Paris gets on a ship and he goes to visit Medilaius. Medialaius, being a good Greek hoast, takes him in, feeds him, gives him clothes, gives him a gift, and when he leaves to thank his host, Paris steals his wife. Whether Helen went willingly, whether she was really in love with Paris, whether she was forced to do so by Aphrodite, whatever reason, Helen goes off with Paris and they leave. Now, all of this would have been okay except for the fact justin that Paris is not just a shepherd. Paris is the son of King Prian, king of Troy, which is right on the Dardanelles across from Gallipoli. And what happened was, just before he was born, there was a prophecy that this child would destroy the city, and so kind of like now the snow White legend, they had somebody take the baby to die, but instead they felt pity, and so they gave the baby what we call a foundling, to be raised by a shepherd out there. And that's probably why in the Ilien he has two different names. He's called Paris, but he's also called Alexander. And I think that Paris was probably his shepherd name, and Alexander was probably his throne name. But that's probably why he has two different names in the Ilia. In fact, Alexander has used more of than Paris. Ugly but anyway, so when he goes back, it's kind of hard to figure out who realizes what. But instead he ends up going back to Paris, and his father, foolishly or whatnot, decides to defend his son. Maybe he still feels guilty, and that's what kicks off the Trojan War. Now you would think Menelaus would lead the troops, however, because his brother Agamemnon, the king of Myceni, was the strongest, and archaeology has shown us that Myceni was the most splendid gold in Mycenius, as Homer calls it was so splendid. We now know that's true. And so he led the vast navy across the Egean from Greece over to modern day Turkey and fought a war. Now what's interesting about this is I mentioned the wedding of Thetus and Pelias. Well, they had a son and his name is Achilles. So Achilles is the mortalier because the way Greek mythology works, you only get to be a god if both your mother and father are god. If it's one in one, you end up being a mortal you might be beautiful like Helen or strong like Achilles, but you're still immortal and oh, mortal, not importal, You're not important. So Achilles is the one who had was meant to be the son of Zeus. He was meant to be immortal and meant to maybe even overthrow his father and be the king of the heavens. Instead, he's a mortal and justin I think you can imagine that throughout his young life, his mother probably kept reminding him, oh, my son, you short lived of all people. And that's what she says throughout the idiot every time she sees them. In fact, every time she sees somebody else, she says, have you heard about my son Achilles? Most short lived of all mortals. So you can imagine that Achilles will be obsessed with his own mortality. And to me, that's the backstory, my Amelia. Here is a human being wrestling with his own mortality. The first half of the book, he is enraged that. The first line of the book is the wrath or the rage of Achilles. The first word is rage, maiden range obath, and it's a word that's only usually used of Apollo or Zeus, only of Achilles, is it used of a mortal So.
Speaker 1: You're going to have that occult ritual symbolism stuff too, where she's so worried about him, she does this ritual where she dips him into the river sticks to protect him from any mortal blows from a human, only a god good.
Speaker 2: And you know a lot of people have heard the phrase the Achilles heel, and according to the overall legend, Achilles died when Paris took a poisoned arrow and shot it and Apollo guided it into achilles heel and killed him. But the funny thing, justin is that Homer, though he would have known the story from the oral tradition, never ever mentions the Achilles heel. And to me, it's clear he wants us to understand that Achilles is the greatest soldier whoever took to the field, not because of a trick, but because he's the greatest soldier. They actually make fun of it in the movie Troy, where Brad Pitt actually does quite a good job playing Achilles, and somebody comes up to him and says, hey, I heard you have a pervious skin, and Brad Pitt says, really, then why do I bother wearing armor. They got to make fun of it. But it's a good thing because there's a big difference between Greek mythology and the Bible. Okay, Greek mythology is filled with contradictions because every poet and playwright tells the story the way they want. Now they can't change huge differences. The movie Troy is a very good movie, except for the fact that in the movie they kill Medialaius, which is something you absolutely positively cannot do. Medilaius is one of the few people that got home and had a good homecoming, so that was wrong. But other things you're allowed to play with them, like King Arthur. It eventually, uh, Lancelot and Guenevere have to have an affair, and and and Arthur, and there's certainly it's it's a tragic story in the end, but you can change it all different ways and play with it and whatnot. So Hoper wants to give us a pure shold soldier who was wrestling with his mortality, and there's that deep level for for a Christian leader. You know, in a sense, we're all wrestling with our mortality because you know, we were supposed to be immortal in the garden, right, we weren't supposed to due uh.
Speaker 1: And I think the gig say say it again, the Gilgamesh epic. You know, a great warrior battling with his immortality.
Speaker 2: That's right, he tries to get and he loses it, right, And and the horror of that. I mean that that's deeply written into our DNA, right into into it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I love it, how you know, uh Jungi and people talking about archetypes. I always talking about all of these archetypes, all of these uh you know images come out of the collective unconscious, which is wonderful. Just because you give a name to something doesn't mean you understand it. Where did the collective unconscious come from? Right that? Yeah, yeah, we're created, you know, we have souls. Right. It's just so funny that people come up with a name for something and think they've explained a way a supernatural element. This is kind of crazy. And so yeah, I think we do have a collective unconscious. We recognize these archetypes, and that's one of the reasons Jordan Peterson is so powerful. He talks about those archetypes. He doesn't seem to be a believer yet, but he's certainly on the way. I wrote an essay recently where I started by saying, I think more people are praying for Jordan Peterson than any other celebrity in the world right now. I really think we're all like, come on, where youre going to become a Christian? His daughter is, his wife is, He's coming along and that he recognizes. That's why even though Jordan Peterson still, as far as I can tell, doesn't believe in the historical accuracy Genesis, he understands what it means, right like, he understands the deep meaning and the deep lesson. I just hope someday he can see that as C. S. Lewis, Tolkien and Chesterton would have said, it's a true myth. It's true because it actually happened. It's a myth because it speaks to our deepest needs and desires. It answers questions, who am I, Why am I here? Where am I going? What is my purpose? All of this sort of stuff, So you can have that now. Again, the Elite and the Odyssey are not historical and the way the Bible is, but it is they're very, very human. They understand. I like to say, when you read the Pagan classics. They may not have all the answers the way the Bible does, but they ask the questions in a very powerful way, and they understand what it is we need to wrestle with as mortal human beings who have an aspect to us that is immortal, our soul, our spirit. And we realize that even the secular side Tiphroms talking about how we cannot imagine our own death, it's like impossible to even imagine our own extinction. And we understand there is something within us that persists. And I think of the things that makes the Ilios so powerful is our hero wrestling. And so the first half of the book he is his rage is against Agamemnon because Academnon stole away his war prize. The second half of the book, roughly, he's wrath is against Hector because Hector killed his best friend Patroclus, not his cousin, which they ludicrously say in the movie, but he's best friend and he got But the real rage of Achilles is ultimately against his own mortality, wrestling against it, as in a sense, we all must wrestle with our mortality. It's not the way it should have been.
Speaker 1: M yeah, and that was something. You know, he is brought a up and his mother's a goddess and I'm sure he's you know, good, and God over told about how great he's going to be, and the story reads like he's a giant. He talks about, you know, he's this huge man. But not only is he just huge, he's the fastest. Said that he could outrun horses. Yeah, and just everyone feared him, and that his armor, you know, was just spectacular and it glowed, and just that he just looked like this god, you know, out in the field, and that people seen him and trembled and ran away and the only five you.
Speaker 2: Think he was.
Speaker 1: That's how he's That's how he's described.
Speaker 2: I think there's one scene when Achilles can't go back in because he needs new armor because Hector stole his armor, and he wants to help his men, so he walks up to the line of battle and he lets out a war cry, and the war cry is so terrifying that people immediately fall on their spears and are trampled and died. I mean that that's the terror. And the one scene when Achilles puts on his armor, if I can find it, it sounds exactly like Goliath. That's kind of kind of gonna be. And you know, Goliath, make me the last of the nephelment.
Speaker 1: You see if I can find And just the how that armor was described to it talked about the in thesea or what's his name, Hephaestus, that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's the one who makes the armor. That's yeah, the gods. And he was a titan, you know, yeah, that's true. He forges all the weapons for the gods. It's kind of like I thought of Mardoch in the they forge, you know, these weapons for this god to go into this epic battle. And then this shield it talks about. It's basically it's like cosmology, the constellations around it and yeah.
Speaker 2: And they believe that at the center was the Mediterranean and around it was all the land. But then around the land was ocean with a capital O that went all the way around. And in the full version of Oliver Nor Oliver Stones movie Alexandra, which is bitter than everybody said it's not worth watching, especially his director's cut, which is three and a half hours, it seemed that Alexander thought if he got down to India, he could grab a hold of ocean and go back on the ocean. And of course they didn't realize that's not exactly the way the world looks. But they're putting the whole thing. But listen when he puts it on. This is from book nineteen. First, Achilles placed along his legs the fair greaves linked with silver fastenings to hold the greaves at the ankles. Afterward, he girt on about his chest the corselet, and across his shoulders slung the sword with the nails of silver, a bronze sword, and caught up the great shield, huge and heavy. Next that sounds just like for Samuel as David. I'm sorry, as Goliath is putting on his armor with his huge right And it's interesting that you know, this is the myceny in Bronze age, and and and Achilles has a bronze ass spear that's so big only he can wield it. And when he allows his friend Patroclus to wear his armor, he does not give him the pelion ash spear of his father, because even Patroclus can't wield it. So that there is a power to that these these amazing figures of power and strength. And when he fights, you know, it's like it's like two gods fighting each other at something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was going to say, because he controlled the tampa of the war. Yeah, filed it first, and they were dominating the only thing that was keeping them safe the Trojans was their walls. And then when his war prize, which was a woman, was stolen from him, he's like, welly ain't going to fire for you no more, and he stops fighting. And then that's when the Trojans starts swinging the war and start winning again. And like you said, his friend takes his armor and goes into battle trying to rally the me in and thinking that Achilles is with them, and just him his presence them thinking that he was there, rallied them and they pushed the Trojans back to the wall. But Hector ends up killing him thinking it Tim steals his armor and then that's when it pisses him off enough that he's going to go in and fight, and his mom goes and has him some new armor forged by the gods and goes and kills Hector and drags his body across the camp for three days. And I mean, just his presence alone swung the entire war.
Speaker 2: It is terrifying. And you know, if the book ended there in book twenty two with him defiling the body, it would would be living in a world. But what happens in book twenty four is that Priam the Father sneaks into the Greek camp, helped by Hermes Mercury, and there's a reconciliation between Achilles and Priam. And in this amazing, amazing moment from the Mason and Bronze age, we have thousion powerful enemies. That's it.
Speaker 1: That was powerful.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, the two enemies. And I watched an interview with Peter O'Toole, the great actor Peter O'Toole who in the movie Troy plays Prime, and he said, the reason I wanted to do the movie, he said, agree to it is to be able to say the lines where Priam says, have pity on me, I kiss the hands of the man who killed my son and all my sons. Actually he killed almost all the Priam's sons. And that moment in which that human movement where they grieve together and actually Achilles is grieving in Patroclus and Priam is prief for pactoring that I've been grieving for the same person, but together they grieve and acknowledge their shared humanity. Because, as I teach my student, what it means to be mortal is not just that you will die. It means that, if you live long enough, you will have to grieve the loss of people you love. And sometimes that's the hardest part of being mortal. Even if you're a Christian you have full faith that you will be with the Lord, you're still gonna lose people. Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus. So it's not the way. I don't want to scare the Calvinist, but we're living in plan B. Okay, we're supposed to be in the garden. If we're living in Plan B, it's not the way it's supposed to be. And I believe that, just as you've heard the little poem in Adam's Fall, we sinned all we do participate in the sin of Adam, original sin, total privaty, what we're gonna call it. We participate in the sin of Adam. But I would argue, if we participate in the sin of Adam, then we must also participate in those few days that he was in the garden. I think we have an anti natal or pre native memory of Eden. That's why I think every one of us says the world should be better than it is. Well, the world's never been better than it is, but we we have. And you know, the Greeks and Romans they had a memory. They called it the Golden Age. They didn't call it the Garden of Eden, but it was the Golden Age when when when man and nature everybody was together, and even with the gods, and there was there was a time of peace. Men did not build ships and go to war. They did not dig into the earth to rape in of its jewels. They lived simple lives h and and I hate to say it, but sometimes they said they lived they lived vegetarian lives. You know, we from Texas, No, no, no, I mean we know that in the Garden of Eden that the fruit actually tasted like filet mignon right justin and we were sure that's right. Yeah, But there is that the memory of that memory of Eden, and I think is there and and of you know what what Milton calls paradise lost. We have a memory that we have lost paradise and the world should not be the way it is that's what we always want to say, maybe fifty years ago things were better. Well, no, we've never lived in a perfect world unless, in fact the guard to be as true as I believe it is. And we have that memory in us, and we struggle with that. Uh. And and you know again, they had celebrations looking back to that time of innocence that's been lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and being reminded of his humanity and his mortality is kind of the trigger for Achilles because of course he's upset at the loss of his friend. But his mother appears to him and tells him, you know, if you go into battle, there will be a great victory. You will slay Hector, and men will sing your praises for centuries. But you will go you will not see home. And he willingly chooses it. And then when he starts, you know, filing Hector's body and everything else, Zeus tells his mother go down and tell him to give the body up and show some decency and respect because his days are numbered also. So then he's like, okay, I agree. So then that's when Hermes goes to prim and tells him in a dream, you know, go to Achilles. He's going to give up the body. So he needed a little bit of a reminder, like, hey, you know, you're going to be in the land of she Old pretty soon, and if you don't want me to shove and pineapples up your butt in the afterlife, you better be nice here.
Speaker 2: It is like like I said, it's it's amazing that you know, when Achilles pulls out of the war, he's trying to come up with a different way to run society, one that doesn't take war, one that allows for peace. And but it doesn't work there in the Vegetable War, it doesn't work, and his attempt to pull out, to not go back in, I should say, leads to the death of the Trophicles. I compare it to One of the greatest tragedies of the twentieth century is that World War One is a war. I believe that could have been avoided with better diplomacy. It didn't have to happen. I mean, it just fell apart. It's crazy. It was not necessary war. And after World War One there was a serious peace movement in Europe. I mean it's not you know, people that don't want to get drafted and go to war. I mean, I'm talking about serious people that are older anyway, they wouldn't even be drafted right, so they're more objective, if you will. And there was an attempt to bring peace, but the trouble was that they had exactly the right idea at exactly the wrong time.
Speaker 1: Wrong time.
Speaker 2: Becau Zila was somebody that they had to fight. If we didn't fight, they were going to just keep taking over and over. That people don't realize that what was called the First Gulf War. That's even before you probably, but I remember it. The First Gulf War would was when Iraq was trying to take Kuwait and everybody's well, no, Iraq had like the third strongest army in the world at the time, and if we did nothing, it might have been a Hitler kind of thing where you can't stop them as they go again and again and again and again. But the trouble was because of this very good peace movement, good ideas, they delayed fighting Hitler and by the time they realized it, Hitler's army was so epense he was unstoppable. If they had stopped Hitler way back in the beginning when he went into what's it called the Sudatan Lank, they could have stopped him right, there'd be no problem, but they waited to. And so the tragedy the tragedy of the right idea at the wrong time, and that's kind of what happens with Achilles. But you know, he gives us this idea. He even suggests that. In book nine, Agamemnon realizes he was stupid, and so he sends Ajax and Odysseus and Phoenix, who was achilles tutor as a boy, sends them in a deputation an embassy to beg Achilles to come back, and offers him this incredible amount of war prizes, including yeah, one of his own daughters. I mean, it's unbelievably generous, and there's no reason why Achilles shouldn't come back in. Everything in the society tells them accept this and come back in, but he doesn't. And part of it is he's angry and resentful, but it's more than that, because he says that not worth the value of my life are all the prizes that were won at Troy. Then he says, amazingly, he says, they're trying to like, take these gifts, you'll have so much honor, which it's an honor based society. And he says, such honor is a thing I need not. That's like I don't know, elon musk or something, saying another million dollars, another billion dollars is something I don't need. I mean, no, it doesn't make any it makes sense right that this is this is the Paster Boy for the honor based warrior society where you get they call it the means of honors who are gathering needs that he.
Speaker 1: Really was struggling with the thought of death. That's the thanks. I don't have the extensive works. I just have, you know, smaller books that are summarizations, and they don't they don't portray that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's a little more subtle when you read. But he actually says, not worth the value of my many says I. He goes, Okay, such honor is a thing I need not. I believe I'm already honored under the aegis of Zeus because I have breath in my lungs and spring in my knees. What he's saying is I have value simply because I'm alive. Now. I hope we believe that today in our Christian world, or at least Christian influence world, that every human being has intrinsic value and worth simply because they're alive. But that's not really what Achilles police. You have to read very carefully in book nine to see these incredible, shocking things that Achilles are saying, things that are inconceivable, to borrow from the princess bride inconceivable. And when he says it, everybody's like, oh, we're talking about this is not the way we think. Nobody understands that. Of course, Achilles can't do anything with it because nobody knows what he's talking about, and we're gonna have to wait. Well, ultimately we have to wait to Jesus, but first we have to wait to Socrates and Plato, where we see a little bit of that truth coming in. But ultimately it's going to be Jesus. And so again, all of these things are happening. It's that tragedy. And because he won't go in, he allows a kid. And you know, the Iliad is very civilized because you have to take good advice, Achilles tells Patroclus. Once you know, rout the enemy and send them away. Do not go after Hector or he will kill you.
Speaker 9: What a really unique book, and I love that your first book is something that is unique, and it's not something that's been written for you know, when I first started, my very very first book was a self published book that looking back, I don't think it's really all that great now, And I think you got a topic here that I haven't seen anybody write a book on. I mean, im not anything that I'm aware of, And it's really interesting, it's unique, there's a lot to learn, and I think they can actually provide a lot of context for people. So congratulations on your first book, and thank you so much for coming on the show and sharing it with us.
Speaker 2: And he goes after Activity is killed. Then Hector is warned, don't kill Patroclus or your death will follow, and he doesn't listen. And then Achilles is warned, don't kill Hector, or your death and he doesn't listen. Now his death happens outside the Idiot, but we know it's going to happen very soon, and ultimately that the downfall. But the so the Iliot is a world where it values honor and strength and prowess on the battlefield, but it also honors the wisdom of experience. We don't have a legal justice system back then to my students to say the closest is if you watch Pocahontas and see the old men sitting in a circle and making decisions. That's what you have. When things work well, you have the wise counselors who have the wisdom of experience that will speak together people like Nestor or Prying who have this experience. And when they listen to those people, things go well. But when they throw off good advice and are reckless, at least to their.
Speaker 1: Doubtfall that's a biblical thing too. I mean it talks about the elders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and listen, And I mean, as I like to tell to my students, Solomon is the wisest man who ever lived. That doesn't mean Solomon was a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist. The wisdom of Solomon was not the specialized wisdom that we overprize today. It was the wisdom of experience, is what the Bible calls. Discern it and disturbment comes with age and experience. And remember, do you remember why Solomon asks God for wisdom? Remember why you first better rule his people? Yeah, because I'm a young man, I'm twenty whatever, he's a young man. I'm a young man and exactly how to rule these people. So I'm looking for the wisdom that I might get when I'm sixty five. I don't have it when I'm twenty. And God gives him that wisdom and the proverbs. What we call proverbial wisdom is wisdom of experience. Yep.
Speaker 1: Now uh, Now with the Iliad focusing more like on uh like Paris, what do you think like his overall arching theme or archetype or morality? Uh, teaching lesson he is because like with me when I when I've seen that, I just got mad reading it, honestly, because when I was reading it, he comes out and he's like, I'll you know, he acts like he's all brave. He's like, I'll eat this war. Not another man will die. I will challenge somebody one on one and I'll defeat them and they'll go home. He gets his butt whooped, and then instead of dying honorably, he runs away and hides. And then they're in the war. They can't find him. He's up in the bed chambers of the women hiding. Hector calls him a girl and has to drag him back out on the battlefield. And then here's Achilles just defeated Hector, and he's out there and fighting valiantly, just defeating all these people. And then here's Paris, you know, hiding way back away, you know, away from danger and the safety of the wall, and shoots an arrow guided by Apollo and kills the great warrior Achilles. I'm like, what a freaking coward.
Speaker 2: He's kind of a pretty boy. There's one point I point out to my students where it says he dressed up and he slung a leopard hide over himself. And that's what I taught my students. You didn't know that Paris was the first cheetah girl, But yeah, he is. He's not very bad, and you can tell Helen's getting tired of this good for nothing boy. She wishes she'd run off with Hector's but he worthwhile, so Paris. It's not exactly that Paris is evil, but he's more cowardly and and he in one sense he lacks the will, but sometimes he's also very impulsive. It does silly things like stealing away Helen, so he can beat a child like a child. He doesn't really have a heart. He vacillates back and forth. He's nothing like his brother Hector. I mean, most people read the Iliot like Hector more than Achilles, because he's a very noble He's in a sense he's the first Night. And when you read medieval stuff, they treat Hector as the first Night. In fact, if you read Sart gambling in the Green Knight, they trace everything back to Troy and they talk about Hector and you know, the idea of the night. He was one of the nine Worthies of the ancient world, as they talked about in their Shakespeare minchs in one of his play I think it's Love's Labor's lost, but yeah, it was. It was Hector that becomes the the one that is like a knight, who is brave but also you know, pure and good. And of course Hector has his impulsive moments and it leads to his downfall as well. But the scene in book six when Hector says farewell to his wife androp making and his little boy is dieanexes one of the most human moments in the ancient world are all of literature, and these are really see justin I get so mad and they've been doing this evil when I was a kid, where they try to make you believe that before the modern world, before feminism, that all men looked upon their wives. God, I said, this is absolutely ridiculous. First of all, I try to tell the kids, they're talking about your grandmother and your great grandmother. Okay, was she cattle? Okay? There were good men and there were bad men back That's just like there are today. But all you have to do is read the farewell in book six of the Iliad between a kid and you understand the incredible love and intimacy. Or read about Odysseus and Pelopy in the Odyssey. Again, this is just ridiculous, but it's been We've been made to believe that. Look, Ben, you know, at my school is very, very diverse, and you know, I'm friends with lots of folks that are Muslim and from the Middle East. And I said, most Muslims treat their wives with more respect than Americans do. And now they treat them as women, they don't treat them as men with breasts. Okay. But a lot of things now, yeah, I mean there's lots of things in Islam in general that are very bad. But you meet the typical Middle Eastern person and you will see respect for their mother and the women and their that exceeds us who we think that being a good person is treating men and women exactly the same. That would have been called a sexist when I was a kid. Now you're called the sexist if you don't treat men and women similar ridiculous. We've lost any sense of, you know, the value of womanhood or manhood for that part, and so we've got to get away from this idea. There were bad people back then, just like they're bad people now. But again, you know, women have more political rights nowadays, But to say they're better off, they're more anxious, they're more modeally, they're more cut off, they're more disappointed. I mean, it's again, it's just that chronological snobbery again that makes us think we're better than all the past eras you know, crazing.
Speaker 1: And one thing that we kind of touched down with jud in our last discussion, but I'd like to just maybe go a little deeper and kind of gets your thoughts on it was this was not only a battle of humanity, but this was a battle of the gods. You get a lot of interplay back and forth of kind of like how the Bible talks about the Divine Council, right, you know, God sets on his throne amongst his holy ones and cast judgment. So it kind of goes back and forth, and you see that there's lines drone in the heavenly realm. The different gods kind of choose their sides, and throughout this war they actually take physical form and go down and they fight, and they encourage and they divise schemes and do all these things, and there's so much division even on Mount Olympus. At one point, Zeus has to play the good father and scream at everybody and tell them to stop fighting. And if anybody else interferes, I want to hit you with a thunderbolt. You know, I'm tighten you up like Southern man. He shows the bail. You know.
Speaker 2: The thing is is that you read it and you recognize something like the Divine Council in the Bible. The difference is there's no God, right, Zeus has elements of Yahweh, but he's still a created being himself and is anywhere nowhere is near perfect in any way. But it's almost like the Pagan writers have an idea that there must be going because there are parts of Greek pathology where it says Zeus is stronger than all the other gods put together, and he really is raised up, but he's still a creative being. I mean, Poseidon and Hades are his brothers. They're brothers of the same father and mother, so they're not And if they say, if they want to read the Annuba Ilishu and the gods still come out of the chaos, right, there is no god that predates it, right, And what the gods try to do is make order out of chaos. You know. One of the reasons Jordan Peterson talks about order is masculine and chaos is feminine. He knows is a numa Eligi and Tiamot who is chaos, who is the dragon, is also feminine, and Marduke is the masculine principle that tries to bring order out of chaos. Now we all know that one time, oftentimes the flaw and a man is when we, as a father or whatever, become too orderly and crush everybody. Right, but still the order is needed to hold back the chaos, and we can see that played out. But again, whether in the Babylonia or the Greek or the Roman and the Norse, there is no God, who is I am that I am right? The gods in other words, only Yahweh does not have an origin story. Okay, every god has an origin story in all the mythology of the world. But God is right. He is the one who is and he creates everything. Right. You could even say that he creates the chaos that he then orders whatever, but you do I mean, for instance, people point to Daniel. Daniel is praying and after a long time, the ain is Michael. The angel comes to him and says, I am the answer to your prayer, and he's like, well, you took a long time, buddy. He said, well, I'm sorry. I was delayed because I was fighting against the Prince of Persia. And it seems pretty clear that what we're talking about is spiritual forces behind these earthly kings, because it makes no sense that this angelic being is fighting a human king of Persia. It is the is it the eloheme or the spiritual being that is behind the Prince of Persia. And so there is a war. Just like again that epics always take place on two levels, the earthly mortal level and the immortal level, and they're always rubbing against each other, right, and they're always influencing each other. Uh, something is going on in the earthly realms and something else is going on up in the heavenlys, and they influence each other. But once again, only in the Bible do you have God? Okay, you only there do you have a God? Who is I am? That I am? But yeah, we see it, You're right, you see it in the indead as well. But in a sense it's more powerful in the alien the Odyssey because the Eneid is a more self conscious work where Virgil is imitating Homer and doing other things. But when you get Homer, you're getting the raw, the raw oral tradition. Uh, you know, like coming out of bail Wolf or something like that, and you're you're catching a glimpse of how all these ancient people understand that there are two levels of action and not just what you know. What's his name Charles Taylor, right, the famous guy who wrote Secular Age. He said that before the modern period, before the Enlightenment, we lived in a porous universe, like water going back and forth, porous, So the supernatural realm is affecting the natural back and forth. It's porous. But since the Enlightenment we live in what he calls a buffered world. We are buffered and we don't feel any fear of that. And I can't remember who said this, but it was so brilliant that in the old porous world, when there was an understanding of spiritual forces and the ancestors and all that sort of stuff, you have all sorts of rituals to protect yourself from that unseen realm. And I love what this guy said. The kimberber was But in some ways, in the modern world, the way we treat hygiene as a religion. I'm not talking about just you know, bathe now and then and be careful. I'm talking about hygiene taught as a religion in our public schools.
Speaker 1: And it's nineteen was that two thousand nine?
Speaker 2: Thank you? That's right, that's right with the with covid Brook, where the ritual and regime of this is going to protect us from the invisible right now. I'm not saying that germs are not real. Germs are very real, and we do have to be careful and take care of ourselves. But we've turned it into a sort of religion. And by the way, CSMs makes fun of that in the very beginning of Voiage of the Dawn Treader, where Eustas Clarence scrub always got the highest marks in hygiene in school. So Lewis is making fun of that. If you read that first chapter, that's kind of funny. But but again it's we think we're safe, but we have a I think we have an in built understanding of an invisible realm that needs to be reckoned with. And like I said, we've just turned it into germs at all. Like that, there's no supernatural anymore. It's just jumps.
Speaker 1: It's kind And one thing that I seen, and I might have been looking too deep into it, and I'm guilty of that, was one of the interferences of the gods. Sorry.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: One of the interferences of the gods was a swing point in the war was the Trojans had them backed up to the ships, and this was during the time when Zeus told him no more interfering, and Harah tried to seduce Zeus and like you know, and so she ends up going to Afrodite and gets this girdle of desire and then gets a sleeping potion from the god of Sleep. So she's like, well, I want to go seduce him. Have sex with him, give him this potion. He's going to go to sleep. Then we can go down help the our opposing sides and do what we want. So it's like it took. Those were the two that honestly got kind of this thing started because those two gods were fighting over who was the fairest involved in Paris and caused this whole conflict. So by those two working together in the heavenles puting Zeus to sleep, restored balance back on the battlefield and ultimately wound up with Troy falling, which was sad for Troy, but ended up restoring everything back to the way it was.
Speaker 2: And see the ironny of all of this justice, This is why Zeus does have an element of God even though he's still a created big and Okay, all of this starts because Achilles makes a prayer to Zeus through his mother Fetus, and the reason Zeus has to accept Thetus is because he owes her one big time, right, I mean that's the backstory, And all the terrible prayer of Achilles is, oh, Zeus, let the Greeks start losing so that they'll realize how important I am, and then they'll beg me to come back right now, here's the thing. The reason that the reason that Hera does this to Zeus is because she believes that Zeus is helping Hector and the Trojans, and she hates the Trojans because Paris didn't give her the apple. But the irony is that overall he's only raising up Hector so that Achilles can defeat him. In other words, all along Zeus is actually on the side of the Greeks, and the Greeks are going to win, but hero doesn't know that because she's just looking at what's happening and jumpy to conclusions. So and of course, but then the other way Zeus is not like God is that when Hector is about to die, Zeus wants to save him. He forgets this was all his plot in the beginning. Earlier on, when Petroclis is going on a role, Zeus says as the king of the gods, he says, okay, Petroclus is going to be riled up, and he's going to go and fight, and he is going to gain glory, even killing my son Sarpedin. But then Hector will kill him, and then Achilles will kill Hector. So he has actually prophesied both the death of his son Sarpedin and the death of Hector, and both cases, when it's about to happen, he tries to stop it and is unable to. And when his son Sarpedin dies one of the most amazing moments in the whole Iliad, it says, and Zeus wept tears of blood. Wow, suddenly this incredible scene. And hera in that scene, it's Hara. In book twenty two, it's Athena. They both tell him, hey, can't save your beloved because it's going to be a real bad precedent. And then all the gods want to save their sons and their favorites. And there, you know, because a lot of the gods are almost patrons. Like la Athena loves Odysseus and always helps him, even though it's not her son. She's a virgin goddess first of all. But again, Zeus has a vision that surpasses the other gods, so that makes them like, yeahweh But ultimately he gets caught in his own traps like everybody else does, so he's not the ultimate god. He is also a created being. He's just stronger, so all you know, again, it's very, very complex. I mean, who When you read the Ilien and it's got all the repetition because it's based on an oral tradition, sometimes you think, God, this is just all plot. But the more you read it, the more incredible levels of complexity there are. Even sometimes Homer will use the repetition in a more thematic way, more powerful way to make connections between characters and themes and whatnot. So Homer did not write the stories. He got them from the oral tradition, but he perfected them. And a lot of people know that that, with maybe one or two exceptions, none of Shakespeare's plots are original. He borrowed his plots from all over the place. Sometimes they were like, well, we would call a soap opera plot, but then he took it and made it into something beautiful. As they said, Shakespeare could take a sal's ear, the pig of an ear, and turn it into a silk purse. And that's what Homer does as well. Because the past was not all based on originality, we think the only important thing is originality. That's not what anybody thought before the Romantic age. You'd take what was done before and you perfect it. You add your own genius to it. You're given a new shape in a new form, like they're doing with the Chosen. Right. We all know the Bible stories, but along comes Dallas Jenkins and says, let's take a new perspective basically perspective from the the the Disciples and see what's going on. And so we know the story, but the new perspective opens up levels of meeting we probably missed in the beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what's all about. That's one thing I always say in the show. You know, it's it's all about perspective, and sometimes we have to just take a second look at all these things from a different perspective.
Speaker 2: From a different lens, maybe a prometheus lens. That's the title for a show. Oh that's what it is. There we go. That's right. See was Zodi in here? Yeah, if you don't see a lot less hair than when you saw me last time, I just shaved it off for the new year. So we're too shiny here. You have to watch outline some of the people watching it. So we'll see if we can get a cloth there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, for those that don't know spoiler alert, you know, the Trojans lose and it's all by trickery. They end up building this grand horse, and they put like twenty six guys or something like that in there, don't they. And then they pushed the horse out onto the battlefield and they act like they leave, and they leaving this gift to them in submission. And then they roll the big statue into the inside the walls, and while they're asleep, those men escape and let down the walls, and that is the fall of Troy.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. I sometimes I prefer the Trojan rabbit from money types into the Holy Grail, remember the Trojan rap They we got to put people in there, and then it comes kind of over anyway. But people don't understand that that's not where the alien ends. The Alien ends with the reconciliation of It ends with the reconciliation of Achilles and Prime, and then they agree to take a high in the war of two weeks so everybody can bury their dead, and the last line of the Trojan, the last line of the Ilia is and thus they buried Hector, Tamer of horses. So it ends in a lull. Now everybody knows that two weeks later it's going to start. All this terrible stuff's going to happen all to death and burning down to the city. But Homer Holker doesn't begin at the beginning, and he doesn't end at the end. It's a beautifully shaped esthetic thing. You might have learned this in high school, justin that epics don't begin at the beginning. They begin in medias rests, which is Latin for in the middle of things. We like dive in and then we find out. And old Hollywood movies were so good at that you just dive right in and then we get a flashback to find out what happened before. But for some reason, modern Hollywood thinks flashbacks are old fashioned, old fashion. If they work, they work. A lot of the old films were really tightly written, most of them because they were reading Aristotle poetics. Who teaches you how to write a tight play or a tight script? And I miss those kind of things. And for those people that like old Hollywood. This past summer I published a book called My Life in Film, How the Movie Shape My Soul? When I look at twenty movies from the Golden Age of Hollywood, that's the nineteen thirties and forties, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Wuthering Heights, mister Smith goes to Washington. It's a wonderful life. All these wonderful films, and I talk about them and the message and how they shape me in things. So I'm always trying to do something different. C. S. Lewis is my role model. And C. S. Lewis wrote every kind of genre imaginable. So it's like, let's press ourselves and do things and fine goodness, truth and beauty in all different places, which is kind of what I try to do in my speaking and in my writing. And again look at it through the new lends and scene through.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, comes out, man, Definitely have to bring you back on and we'll talk about the power of film and everybody that's already out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The one that's coming out in the spring is passing the torch Uh an apology for classical Christian education, for an education that brings together Judeo Christian and Greco rum.
Speaker 8: And that's okay, okay, gotcha a lot of stuff to talk about.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man, I love these conversations. Anytime we can get together and you're willing, I love sitting and just conversating with you. You're a deep well of knowledge. Lou and I like to get in and get me a swig whenever I can.
Speaker 2: We go, but make sure you choose rightly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, chose wisely.
Speaker 2: Wisely.
Speaker 1: Hey, before we go, lou let everybody know where they can find you. Man, thank you.
Speaker 2: The easiest thing is just go to Amazon comp dot com and type in Lewis Marcos m A R. KOs. It's a Greek name, and you'll see all my books are there. If you go to YouTube and type in Lewis Marcos, I got a YouTube channel with lots of free videos and stuff like that. But that's the best way to go to Amazon. I've got all my stuff on there and it's real easy.
Speaker 1: Nice. I will thank you so much, man, and I hope you have a very merry Christmas as the time of this recording, and you have a good, safe trip and a good time with your family.
Speaker 2: Brother. I should say before I get off, I forgot to say this that a new movie just came out called The Return with Ralph Fines and Juliette Binoche, and it's basically the last half of the Odyssey where Odysseus comes home and defeats the suitors. Now I have heard some good things. I was listening to Andrew Clavin, you know, that's the dude on the Daily Wire, and he was saying that even though it was well made, he did not like the way they modernized it and made it into an anti war book and all this sort of stuff that would have meant nothing to the audience. So I still need to see it. But most people are saying it is at least very well acted and very well shot, so I will see. But again, I've heard a few people say that, you know, it's trying to push a modern ethos on something would not But again, I'm sure it's really good. I'm rea need to see it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, when that trailer come out, Actually, jud had sent me that on Facebook. It was like, justin, you need to go check this out, and I forgotten about it until you mentioned it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then see what it's like. I'm kind of excited. And you know, Ralph Fines and Julian Pinosch were in the movie The English Patient together, but that was like, I don't twenty five years ago or something. It went Best Picture, so it's kind of neat to have a reunion the first time they've worked together since then, and they're both really great actor and actress.
Speaker 1: All right, well we'll sign up, all right? Man, Well, thank you Lee, I appreciate it. Guys, be sure to check out loo stuff. Man, he's gotten so many great books. And honestly, next year, actually probably this year, by the time you watch this, this probably come out first a year. But I want to do a study with you guys for for my All Access Past members, and we're going to dive through the Myth Made Fact because I think that'd be a great study for us. We go through that he write that book is very well written, and it's made for study groups. It's got good questions on.
Speaker 2: That book by Michael Heiser before he died. Yes, all those connections and things like that, because I'm a Michael Heiser fan too.
Speaker 1: Well, guys, hope you enjoyed that. Be sure to check out his stuff. And hey, just remember the difference between the known and the unknown is the journey. Good journey.
Speaker 4: Guys, stand stand stand and Si