Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and welcome to life as a gamble. My guest today is a self described podcast slut. He is a lawyer and comedian and welcome to life as a gamble.
Speaker 2: Charles Starr, thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 1: So first of all, I didn't know of you at all until I heard you on David Hill's podcast American Gambler book Club, which I highly recommend to people who still read books. I know there are some of us out there that still do that, sure, But the thing that caught my attention was you are trying to do as a guest. You are trying to do fifty three podcasts in fifty two weeks, and that doesn't count podcast that you produce yourself. So is this on a bet or how did this happen? What is it? What happened there?
Speaker 2: It is on a bet, but a bet on the level of trading places you know like there, And it's not a bet, it is more it is more me being kind of a jerk for laughs. What happened was and I'm not going to shy away from promoting my colleague, but Josh Berman, who has two of his own podcasts, decided around December of last year, Christmasy said, I want to promote my own stuff and to promote my own stuff and to you know, kind of put my marker down on forcing me to do that. I want to get on fifty two podcasts. I want to average a podcast a week in twenty twenty six. And I saw that and I just as a joke, but it's only sort of joking on the square because I also very much meant it, said I all I want is to be on one more podcast than Josh and so and so that established the challenge is now he wants to do fifty two, and so I said, okay, I want to do fifty and if he beats it, I still have to beat him by one. So you know, we are just we are now in an arms race.
Speaker 1: And did to start it as of January first.
Speaker 2: As of January first, Yeah, calendar calendar year twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: And we are now nearing the end of July. And where do you guys stand.
Speaker 2: At the end of July? In released podcasts, he is winning thirty four to thirty three. But including this recording, I have an undisclosed number in the can awaiting release from people who who have the podcasts and have to edit them. I am comfortable with my position. I also have a very busy week because I have no self control and oh, the next few days are going to be a combination thrill ride nightmare as everything revolves around me being back in front of my computer. Another podcast.
Speaker 1: So in addition to all of that, you have two of your own podcasts that you do so and what are those two?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I do have two, though only one of them is currently running. The one that's currently running is called No Homework, which I do with two of my friends who I have met in real life but I know through social media and shared interest in sports and left wing politics basically. And that one is called No Homework, and we don't really have We say it's about hardly bad jobs and hardly working, but we don't really stick to that theme at all. It's like in any other podcast about three white guys and then and then we have and then we have guests on from time to time, and it's a lot of fun. I think it's a lot of fun. The second one we only do during football season, and that is City Sat Country Saint, which I do with one of my colleagues from no homework because he is also, like me, a New Orleans Saints fan, and so that's a football season, so that one's coming up, but we don't do it for the preseason games. Like we'll do one pre season preview episode. We did a draft episode if you know are if you know a ref Hassan who you know has a great football newsletter called Wide Left and a vikings podcast and another like goofy football podcast is his vikings podcast is I'm promoting everyone else's stuff. It's no Norse something but now I'm forgetting. And he's got one called sixty Minute Drill, which he doesn't. So he's like a great football writer and think talker and stuff. So we had him do a draft analysis of the Saints drass and so that's our only off season. And then in the past I've had three other like podcast experience, like things that you know I did for a while that were kind of.
Speaker 1: Law comedy thing law comedy, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're all like those podcasts were all lawyers. Yeah, those podcasts were I'm also a lawyer. We you know, we would take the law seriously, uh society and ourselves a lot less. So it was a very kind of jaded that the way the world is failing us.
Speaker 1: All right, So your background is you went to law school, you were a lawyer with a big firm, and you gave that all up to do stand up comedy.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I mean I really I graduated in ninety eight from law school, and I just went path of least resistance. You know. I went to a good law school, which makes it really easy, and I went to a good law school in New York City, which makes it really easy to get a pretty good job in New York without necessarily blowing the doors off your law school grades. And so I, you know, I fell into it. I didn't really want to do it, but I had a lot of loans, and I stuck it out for six years. You know. I had one firm that I didn't like working for, one firm that I didn't really like being a lawyer, but I like the people for four years and then that firm kind of collapsed when you know, the gods on Olympus couldn't get along anymore, and it fractured into a bunch of different pieces, and the you know, the peons below just followed one of the partners and then the guy who I stuck with went to another really really big firm, and so after a year of that, I was like, I would rather do anything of them. And you know, I had always wanted to be a comic, so I just quit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to work in the film business, and it seemed like every time I turned around, the guy running to get coffee was a lawyer who who had given up law. And you know, those people very quickly rose through the ranks and became producers and things. But you know, one friend said to me, I really loved law school, and then once I got out, I realized I hated practicing law.
Speaker 2: That's very much me. Ye, that's very much me. And I will say the film industry, I think, is a lot of people who are either on their way too or on their way from law school. Because the other thing that law schools are full of is people whose creative dreams didn't quite work out. Like it is in like a lot of people who have a way with words really see like the law as a kind of different application of that skill. You know, they think about brief writing, they think about persuasive argument, and so you see a lot of people in law school who are going who start in their you know, mid to late twenties instead of just out of college, who want it to be writers and hope to be one day again, but also kind of want a larger apartment, and so the law school is their path to comfort.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They have really valuable skills in the film industry too, and any of them become agents and were uh yeah, or producers as I said, Yeah, some of them have aspirations to be writers. But you know that writers don't make any money unless you know, it's kind of like uh, as I said on my last episode, it's kind of a lottery job.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You either make a lot of money or you starve.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's right. I think I think that's right. And I and I decided that after six years of being an attorney, when I was miserable, gaining weight, just in really bad mood, I thought that I had fuck you money and could just walk away. And I had a very bad idea of us because I I was just I burned through cash so fair. I had just bought an apartment, you know, like I just didn't know like how quick it goes through your fingers when you have any kind of expenses and so I went back to the law very quickly, really, but in a temp like I basically worked as a temp for the next ten years. But you know, it's better than it's not like you know, the typing pool kind of temp. You know, you're getting paid, You're getting paid better than that, you know. So like by American standards, I'm not going to complain about what I was making, but by lawyer standards, I was a peasant.
Speaker 1: Right And New York City is a very expensive place to live too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I had, like I felt like I was sharing my brother and I bought an apartment together. That was the apartment I owned, And so I had, like with any kind of job, I had, like an affordable enough lifestyle. Really I couldn't not work. But you know, I mean back then as a temp, you know, working the kind of overtime that they make you work, I was still you know, making somewhere between sixty which is not you know, living high on the hog. But I could afford my apartment, and so it's like nothing to complain about. And so I don't, you know, it was it was just less than I could have made if I wanted to be miserable. My ah life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what happened? What was the comedy plan? Was it the late nights open mics?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was very much just doing it without a net, like feeling like I was funny. I was thirty three at that point, and I was like, I feel like I have enough of a voice that I can find my way through. And you know, it worked a little. I never made any money at it, but I know, like I said, I had a job, Like there was a It was just a weird confluence of things because I started doing comedy literally, like I quit my job and in that week I met the woman who would become my wife and remain so somehow and uh and also did my first open mic, right and so you know, so now I've like I have a job, and I have this uh passion project, and I have a girlfriend for the first time really and forever, if you know, you want to get technical, maybe even ever. And so it was like I had a lot going on at that point, and so I I feel like I made it to the second step really quickly, but the third step is the one. And so I never I had like enough highs in my comedy life to like like it. You know, look back, I still do it every once in a while. But it was a blast. It was like a real blast to have a second thing to do, you know when I was, uh, because I really hated that job. I really hated that job, which which being a temp, being a temp attorney. You know, you're just you know, like your job is doing like reviewing documents for discovery and litigation. So you're just like a drone checking boxes on a computer. Relevant, not relevant, privileged not privileged. It meets one of the you know, thirty k specific criteria that the attorneys care about. It's really mindless stuff, you know, at and they want you to do it at volume, and so it's I it's really really rough going and so that you know, being able to go out and open mics, it's like the only thing that comes.
Speaker 1: And what happened, I mean, eventually after ten years you quit that.
Speaker 2: Well, what happened? What happened really is I mean I did it pretty you know, pretty hard, but not as hard maybe as I could have when you look back at it. But I was doing a bunch of shows a week, and I got a couple of festivals, and I you know, performed around the city and made a couple of bucks here and there, but very little. And you know, I had a kid, you know, I had a kid, you know, a few like four years in and so I took a break and then I went back to it. But once you're married with a kid and you have a day job, how much can you really do? Right, Like, if you are if you have like this day job and you're really, really really trying to do like you know, ten eleven mics week where you're getting up constantly, constantly, constantly meeting people, going to shows that you're not even on, Like your whole life just is soundtracked by cats in the cradle, right, Like when am I ever going to see that kid? When is my wife ever going to get a break from, you know, the less desirable aspect of motherhood, right, So, like that just sort of slows it down naturally if you're not close enough to lift off. And I wasn't remotely close to, you know, achieving any kind of career liftoff which would make it worth the sacrifice of my entire family life, and so it just kind of fizzled out and led to I think prolonged depression because of it, and then you know, Twitter as a place to tell jokes at the time time, and then podcasts became the kind of lifeline where you sort of re establish your creative self because I was back telling jokes again, like all the time.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, actually that's kind of exactly. What happened to me with podcasting was, you know, I had stopped working in the film industry and I had written a book that was a collection of interviews, and you make no money, you know about it's about like being a comedian, they pay about equally. And I realized, well, podcasting is just interviewing people without all the work, without all the editing of the manuscript for you know, hundreds of hours and all of that kind of stuff. So yeah, it became a creative outlet.
Speaker 3: And and I know it's point though, I gotta say, I envy making a career out of gaming, like I'm making a career out.
Speaker 2: Of you know, the green felt. I mean that's pretty nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, but but it is work, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, of course, yeah. Yeah. I guess at a certain point it stops being fun and then it's like, yes.
Speaker 1: No, still fun. Really, I mean the part that's fun is is you know, I've always said if I had to play alone, I wouldn't play right. I've always had teammates, partners, and and that's where the fun comes in, you know stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I definitely prefer live poker to to online. I couldn't. It was like real, that was that really an't go.
Speaker 1: For Yeah, And you know, I had a foray into sports betting for a couple of years, and that's that felt like an accounting job. Really. It was just hours of time, had spreadsheets keeping track of all the bets and you know, yeah, you have all these different people you're working with and they all have a different deal, and yeah, it was a nice Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I was. I was corrected onto the straight and narrow on sports betting very young because I was a sophomore in high school and one of my one of the kids in my homeroom from the Bronx definitely had either a bookie in the family or whatever. But he brought betting slips to school. And it wasn't the slips that got me. It was the You'll remember the year because for some reason, I'm drawing a blank on it, but I think it was the eighty five playoffs I gave him three to one on the Cardinals coming back from three to one down against the Astros and lost, and then and double or nothing on the Cardinals coming back from three to one down against the Blue Jays and then lost again.
Speaker 1: And now, how are you giving him three to one when.
Speaker 2: You're there because I was taking the winning team. I was taking the team that was up three to one.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm not dumb, but I was like, honestly, three to one are pretty good odds for like winning one of the next three games, in my opinion, But I by busted both times. And it's not like I grew up poor, but all that money wasn't mine. So all of a sudden, I owe this kid in my homeroom sixty bucks and I'm like, what the fuck did that happen? And so I was out of the sports betting game real quick. I'm like, I am not built for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it sounds like you had way the best of it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, I think, as they say, the Sklansky dollars were in my favor, but I became I think more converse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's yeah. Get to get into the gambling business. You have to get over that. Yeah, you need to learn to deal with with risk and with fluctuations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've made it back, and like, I like, that's the thing. I play poker now, but I would like sports betting. I'm like, I know, I know nothing. I know, I know nothing compared to the people make a living at this. I'm just someone who wants to watch the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so at some point you got rid of the temp job, and what happened then?
Speaker 2: Uh? Well what happened? Well, first of all, the temp job became a permanent job. Like one of those firms that I worked as temp for a while hired me. And I kept trying to I didn't really keep trying to do stand up. I did try to get a few writing jobs, and I came very close to like political comedy shows like Late Night Political many shows. I was submitting writing packets, like. I never wrote anything sitcom structured, like I think Elizabeth like writes for that kind of show, right, Am I wrong about that?
Speaker 1: She's writing for a drama we're talking about, okay, Michael, Yeah, yeah, Who's last my last episode?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I never wrote anything like that because I've never written anything script structured. But I could write monologue jokes, I could write sketches, you know, in this in the vein of John Stewart and John Oliver, you know. And so I would submit packets to those shows, and I made it past the first round a bunch of times, and I made it past the second round, and so it it was like very, uh, very rough to keep getting to keep getting close without actually closing the deal. And uh and then I kind of just gave up for a while and just did my job. And you know, Twitter was really at that point, literally the only kind of lifeline was telling Joe, building a small following and that sort of thing, until I started doing podcast stuff. And I was like ten years ago when I started guesting on a friends podcast as his like courts guy. You know, it was like a comedy news podcast. And then he would have me on every few episodes to talk about what was going on in the courts. And it's like also left wing politics, and so he was like well versed in the politics of it, but not necessarily the nuance of court opinions. He's not keeping up with like appellate decisions. So we would have stuff to talk about in that regard, and that was my friend Jeb Lund who's podcast This Week in Atrocity, and that became my first legal podcast because my appearances on that inspired some of me and some of my friends to start our own thing, which at the time was called Mike Dicta, which is a meaningless football pun and a really stupid lead, and so we did that. We did like twenty episodes of that, and it was like, really for a podcast that came out of nowhere, you know, by a bunch of nobodies, pretty popular for a little while, but then, you know, personality clash is largely my fault, but it fell apart.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: So then there were just a few more years in the woods until I started doing a lab series which was again but that was more legal culture than you know, case by case analysis, and that just stood for all lawyers or best there. It's in the acab sense, uh, And so that was really fun and I joined those guys, which were some of the same people Dick. I rejoined them for a while. I had my own thing for a little bit called Hostile Witness, and you know, some of that, I like, some of that is the best work I've ever done. Those podcasts because they were very They were very funny while being thoughtful and serious and you know, serious about the law, serious about the social impact of the law, but a bunch of funny people telling funny jokes throughout it. And you know, and then when I on Hostile Witness, I did you know, after the first trans rights case, when Gorsa shocked the world by coming down on the side of transgenderism being covered by title set Wait, I always title nine being covered by title Well, now I'm forgetting whichever it is it's the gender, because now I'm forgetting if it's just one is employment and one is school, I think that's what it is, that nine is education and seven is employed, but gender discrimination in employment was covered transgenderism. And uh. And so I did an interview with two legal scholars where we just spent an hour talking about that case and its impact and really how I thought Gorsuch was leaving himself a back door to eventually change his mind and screw all the trans people all over again, which he then did this past year. So, you know, so some real good I thought, some real good, thoughtful work in addition to the you know, hours an hour of jokes field.
Speaker 1: Did you ever you know, a popular topic for us in the gambling world is civil asset forfeiture. Did you ever cover that?
Speaker 2: We talked about it. We talked about it a little. I had. I wrote about it for my friend. My friend Luke O'Neill has a newsletter, and I wrote about a pretty horrible civil asset forfeiture case out of the Ninth Circuit. Oh wait, no, that was a qualified immunity kit because it was the cop I mean, it failed. It feels like civil forfeiture because it was literally cop stealing evidence from the result of a raid, Like they just stole the guy's coin collection. And the Ninth Circuit found that that was covered by qualified immunity because apparently, uh that they couldn't do that was not already established in the law. But I've I mean, I've read and talked about civil civil asset forfiture. I don't know that I've ever actually done a podcast on it. But yeah, you're people who drive around with a lot of cash, I guarantee. Yeah, that seems like something that would come up a lot.
Speaker 1: The police in many places have just literally become highway robbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, what is the place that I think of the most is there's a place in Texas that has become famous for that in a real like real Rosco peak coal Traine shit where they just sort of pull you over and pretext to search your car and if you've got too much cash on hand, they just sees it and make you prove that it's not drug money exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And we literally had a guy on our show who was pulled over and the reason was because he was driving the speed limit. Yeah, and that was suspicious to nobody drives exactly the speed limit, right exactly. That was their Uh.
Speaker 2: That's you know, you read enough cases and you see that probable cause is itself a dog's breakfast of cop nons. You know, like if you read cases about like profiling drug couriers, like the excuses that law enforcement agencies give. It's like, well, they're walking too fast, or they're walking too slow, or they're walking too normal, or they look too nervous, or they look too calm, like everything that you could do. And you what you eventually figure out is either they know you are doing it through whatever means, but they have to figure out a pretext to stop you as an individual, or you are just the guy whose number came up that day, and then they retcon of reason to have stopped you in the first place if they hit the jackpot and you have something incriminating or a plausibly incriminating on you. So if you're wondering why all of my podcasts or left, that feeds into it a lot.
Speaker 1: Have you Have you ever listened to The Moth?
Speaker 2: Sure? Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, because you know what this reminds me of. I'm a big fan of The Moth, and I have participated in many, many story slams. But I remember a particular story about a lawyer in Michigan who had a case that went all the way to the Supreme Court, basically defending a guy who, uh, he was somewhere in public I forget where, at a picnic or something where there were a lot of people around, families with children, and something happened and the guy just lost his ship and started yelling fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck, and the police arrested him for some weird, some weird archaic law about you know, using foul language. Yeah, the ladies or something like them. Anyway, it was it was a great story. What was the weirdest case you ever came across.
Speaker 2: Well along these lines. The one that I'm thinking of was, I believe there are two I'm going to give you. One is like this and one is a very bad maraice. Because I'm talking to a non legal audience, so you may not have heard the second one. The first one was in North Carolina case where a guy is driving down the road and he sees a cop giving someone a ticket, and he and I'm not going to remember this perfectly, but this is roughly what it was. He gives from the passenger seat. He gives the cop the fingers. He drives, as you know, his wife drives by, and the cop, all pissed off, gets in his car and chases him down. And first and like, the reason they were kept arresting it arrested him kept changing because at a certain point he's now suing to he's like either trying to exclude certain evidence, or he's trying to get the case dismissed, or he's bringing a civil suit. Like it's all very fuzzy now. But the cop first like tries to pull them over for some kind of endangerment, and then he try pulls him over for some kind of public you know, obscenity and like it's all nonsense, And it took multiple rounds of appellate litigation before the North Carolina Court finally, like Supreme Court through it, but the lower courts had let it stand on the complete pretext of what the police had. The second one is infamous in cop circle, I'm sorry. In law circle, guy in Louisiana gets arrested. And you know the basics of Miranda, right, if you ask for a lawyer, they have to stop questioning you. Their exceptions in the Supreme Court keeps creating more exceptions, but the basics are, if you ask for a lawyer, they have to stop questioning you until you have been provided count. And this guy is being questioned and he goes, I need a lawyer dog and the cops say, well, you know maybe, and then they go back to questioning it. And in writing the opinion, and this was like a secondary opinion, It wasn't the main opinion, but it was important enough that this one judge put it in writing, is that he said it was ambiguous as to whether he was asking for a lawyer Comma dog referring to the officer or a canine attorney. And if you are going that far. Judge actually put that in writing. This is an appellate judge in Louisiana put it in writing to defend the post the actions of the police by saying it wasn't a sufficiently clear statement of interest in it in an attorney because it had a linguistic ambiguity, And it's a linguistic ambiguity that only exists if you are trying to excuse police misconda. Wow, yeah, yeah, I mean that's literally I shot the clerk from my cousin Vinnie, where I swhear a statement phrased as a question. If you just change the punctuation because the question mark comes in tone, not in grammar, then it becomes a confession. Right, I shot the clerk. I shot the clerk right now, it's now it's a quo. Now you change a question mark to a period in the transcript and it's a confession.
Speaker 1: Right Yeah.
Speaker 2: But nonsense. And that's what lawyer dog is. So that one is pretty infant.
Speaker 1: So what about what is the most realistic lawyer show in television? And what is the most ridiculous lawyer show? I mean, willing to go back, however far back you want.
Speaker 2: To go, I watched twenty minutes of suits and was like, I can ever watch this? Yeah, and so I don't know anything ridiculous. I don't know if that gets less ridiculous, but I just know that the first thing that I learned was that one guy was faking his law degree, and then there was some interaction that I thought was ridiculous, and then there was that one actor who had like the something about Mary Choppers, and I'm like, I'm out, and I'm thinking, I'm trying to think of they don't really have realistic law shows because any kind of realistic law show is too boring to put on television. You know, it's all backroom stuff and there's nothing that approaches the complete, you know, urge in miasma of what actual courtroom testimony looks like. You know, you're going through paper documents. There's no dramatic confrontations, none of it's real. I guess Absence of Malice as a movie was an interesting It hasn't been a long time since I've seen it. But that's like Paul Newman and Sally Field. I thinkspoon very young and then no, no, no, no, no. Reese Witherspoon's parents probably hadn't met yet. This is absence of malice is like a prime Paul Newman and prime Sally Field. This is like a movie from like seventies where where Paul Newman is some kind of uh It's like a combination courtroom drama and newspaper like journalism criticism, where he is this guy who I guess is being falsely charged in the press, but he's also being like all of this reporting is being done, but because he's a public figure, you know, under the New York Times, he Sullivan standard. An absence of malice means that a falsehood printed about a person doesn't give grounds for a libel suit, you know, And I remember that. It's been a while, but I remember that being a little closer, you know, like Law and Order is. You know, I do believe that the DA commits constitutional violations every week. But the ones you know that go on in that show sometimes they you know, they make the judges bend to the will of the plot, you know, like they don't really they don't really craft the arguments in applausible way in either direction both times. And so even though I'm addicted to it, yeah, I have a real love hate relationship with Law and Order, it's like one of those shows where it's like the it's like the Sopranos, where I don't really like the District Attorney's office and I don't you shouldn't like Tony Soprano. But the way they make Tony Soprano likable is his agonists are always worse people than he is, right, Like, it's a lot easier to root for Tony Soprano when the alternative is Ralph sifarero right, so they kind of like they you end up being taken down this garden path of rooting for this obvious monster because of the structure of the show in the career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you ever watch Boston Legal?
Speaker 2: A little bit but a long time ago? Like I feel like I saw no, you know what, I never saw Boston Legal. I was confusing it mad with Alan McBeal. I never I know, No, I didn't watch Boston Legal because there's any one of those totally ridiculous.
Speaker 1: But but it was a very funny show.
Speaker 2: And yeah, sure, I think there's a lot of that. But in the same it's like my brother in law is funeral director and he couldn't watch Six Feet Under, and I bet It's very hard for doctors to watch hospital shows, you know, because all you do.
Speaker 1: Is any movie that has gambling in it, you know, right, Yeah, they just never get it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean like I supposed to be a news show like sixty minutes. They just never get it.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right, I mean think about the end of the Cincinnati Kid, right, oh yeah, going to an inside straight flush, Like literally the logic of his gambling was I have enough money to just keep doubling down for infinity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know.
Speaker 2: Them, Yeah, it's anything like It's like it's called Gellman amnesia, which is a kind of a it works mostly as conservative media criticism, but I give them credit for it because I've seen it enough. But Gellman amnesia is if you see the news media writing about anything that you know about, you know that they have screwed it up, right, you know it in nuance and you're like, I can't believe that they paid someone to write this. And then you turn the page and you read the news and you go, oh my god, that's horrible, right, because you've already forgotten how they're not experts in that either, and so you've they're probably somewhat at least a little world about that too, you know, And so that's usually used to bash the liberal media, but I also think it's generally of anyone kind of getting over their skis about topics.
Speaker 1: Enough about Well, this has been great. I have really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, I wanted.
Speaker 1: To ask you. You said you had some travel stories.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess, as life is a gamble. There were two things that I did when I was a kid, which I think is the kind of thing you can only do when you're in your twenties. The first was I was like right out of college, and I was, you know, I was. I wasn't smart enough to really know how to backpack around Europe, but I could take luggage to London. And so I was staying in a hostel in London, and I decided I wanted to get out of the city, but I wanted to travel light. When I got out of the city, and I was staying in a hostel that had like a three day limit, but I was like, okay, I'm going to be here for three days. I'm going to like go, you know somewhere else in England. I don't even remember where I went. I think maybe I went to Cambridge. I don't know I was I'm too old to remember exactly what a trip when I was nineteen was. But so I decided, against every posted thing, to just take my luggage and stick it in the back of their storage room which had like everything I was traveling with, and just roll the dice on being able to get as and it's always full, Like the time of the year that I was there, it's like always full. And I was like, I am going to try I'm going to just leave it there and hope that when I come back to London in four days that I can stay here for two days with my bags. And it was there, and so I went and I just went to the airport after those last two days, after just letting them watch my bags, you know, for for a few days. And the second one was after law school. I really wanted to take a trip and I had one thing which was kind of planned, and then the person I was doing it with couldn't do it, and so it fell through. And now I'm like a month from starting my job out of law school and I haven't traveled anywhere, and I'm like, well, and so I decided to fly jump seat on whatever was available, and so this, you know, this is where you are like the meat sack accompanying some like thing that has to be shipped internationally. But they need someone to a courier. They need someone to act as Yeah, jump seat is when you're like an extra staff person, like just hopping on your own airline. Yeah, so courier flight. And so they're like, well, we have a trip to Hong Kong for two weeks. And I was like, okay, I'll do that, I guess, And I flew to Hong Kong for two weeks. And I thought that because it was only recently an English colony that everyone would speak and most of non financial center Hong Kong was so happy to be rid of the English that it was like a real drag of two weeks, because two weeks is a long time to be in Hong Kong unless you're really wealthy and don't speak any Chinese. So that was like, that was real mixed. The only thing I really remember enjoying in Hong Kong, other than the food, which you know, really cheap food, very good. Wherever I went, it was like very cool unless they just gave you the white person's menu. Then it was just like ordering kind of place on flat bushet Avenue. But but going to the racetrack was always was like that's the universal language. It's just going and betting small amounts of money, you know, off of a half assed review of a racing form. And so wherever you are in the world, that was always a blast.
Speaker 1: Well. And also the race tracks in Hong Kong there were only two, and racing is really really popular there and it's exciting at the racetrack there as opposed to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, and Chatin was really cool, Like Chatin is the one that's like outside of the city, like in the a little north in the suburbs or something, and like it's beautiful and you know the gallery is, you know, the place to go and watch for free, was packed like a subway platform, but you could get like a seat with an like elevated and looking at it was like three dollars. Yeah, you know, like it was really like not you know, you're not sitting in like the polo club or anything, but you are sitting in like a really comfortable seat, you know, with your own like you know, nice bedding window. Back then, it costs like nothing to be like a little comfortable, and so it was really I love that play. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hong Kong I really like if I was going to live in Asia, I think Hong Kong would be it. And as far as the food, I've had better Thai food in Hong Kong than I have in Thailand. So yeah, the food there is is just tremendous.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I developed a minor kanji addiction.
Speaker 1: Uh my uh. I always ask my guests their favorite restaurant Las Vegas that is not in a casino.
Speaker 2: I can't say that I have a ton of experience, but the time I've only been to I've only been to Las Vegas once, and when I was there, I went with a friend who took me to a Tokyo style Italian place called Nakamura Yah, which was interesting and fun, and so that would that that is the only actual recommendation I could give.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have been combination of Japanese and Italian food.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, my my friend, I my friend Aaron Kessler, who some of your listeners may know because he's gaming industry guy. He said, I asked him to remind me the name of the Italian Japanese fusion play, and he chided me in response that it is not fusion, but rather Tokyo style Italian, So I don't want to get on his bad side or theirs or theirs right or there.
Speaker 1: Well, Charles, this is this has been great. I've enjoyed it immensely and I just want to thank you for coming on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, and to everyone. If you want to check out the podcast, it's at No homework Dot website. And if you want to help me defeat my horrible foe, Josh, just reach out to me. Just google my n It's super great.
Speaker 1: You know, I have to say googling your name, it's it's not as easy to find you as you would think. First of all, I expected, you know, every comedian has like YouTube videos and Instagram reels, and I don't know either of those. For you.
Speaker 2: I think I hit all of my stand up because the only stuff that I had was over twenty years old. And I don't need to answer for anything that I said as a child. The Statute of Limitations has expired on my opinions from the early two thousands and and I get, but you know you spell it with one R and it directs youat of my social media.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, you're you're no longer on Twitter, right.
Speaker 2: No, but I am a Blue Sky I am that is my new uh that is my new retirement home.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, okay, well thanks again and just want to say the listeners you can, I welcome your feedback. You can always reach me at Life is a Game, humblepodat gmail dot com, or you can still find me on Twitter at our WM twenty one. Have a good one, everybody good.
Speaker 2: A free audio post production biophonic dot com