Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio Wive. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera, your Jenagansaus. Now we have Ray with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball, Breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eighth.
Speaker 3: Right, great Friday, Great Friday. It feels good. End of the week, does feel good?
Speaker 4: Man, starting off with some track in field news right now.
Speaker 3: This is a tough name.
Speaker 4: Jathaiah Mohammad finished second in the women's pull vault at the Under twenty Championship with a height of four zero point thirty meters.
Speaker 5: From a ran. Yes. Yeah, we had Fred Harvey on yesterday.
Speaker 2: He tweeted that I think yesterday, yeah, saying congratulations. She may be under him in terms of you know, summer programs or whatever she coming back to UA. Do we know she says softball right or what? What did you say?
Speaker 4: She's nineteen, so yeah, she's yeah, she's under twenty. It doesn't say if she's coming back, but the the social media it's got.
Speaker 5: Going into the draft, well, yeah, who knows.
Speaker 4: Anymore, right, Yeah, another kind of housekeeping stuff.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: A former Arizona outfielder Kaya Altemeyer is transferring to Texas, had a great year softball. Yes, there's a long list of them. Yeah, there's a few. There's also a few signings as well. I don't know, I don't know if you guys have talked about it before already, but Janee Barry, Serenity Trice, Addison Duke and tell Tela Jennings.
Speaker 3: The I guess we're posting on the roster this week.
Speaker 4: There was also a bunch of kind of signings from people that had already committed, but just like formerly, like to to come to a yes, to.
Speaker 5: Come to a there's a lot of comings and goings over there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's crazy, isn't I think about to hear about signings for college, college and sports?
Speaker 3: Right? No, And it was interesting too. I was watching.
Speaker 4: The Pat McFee show had the interview with Calipari yesterday and he he got asked with like what he thinks worse is n I l or or the transferportal? He says the transferportal. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel like that's true too, because it's like, I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, Jay, You've been a long time fan, and I talked to you about this long time. You go because you cheer for the school, right, not so much the player, although the players involved.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you you even though you were cheering for the school, you still wanted you cheered for the players because you got to know them well.
Speaker 3: And you don't see him long enough anymore.
Speaker 5: Right right, right back in the day, right right, you know they're.
Speaker 6: Not here long enough, you know, I mean for a long time, you know, with the with the basketball team in particular, you know all the one and Doune, you don't even feel like like, you know, DeAndre and Josh Green. You know, all those guys that came through during that period of time with Sean Miller, Who the hell are they?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you wouldn't acquish you on them, wouldn't.
Speaker 6: And there wasn't a single one of those guys that you thought was in it for Arizona, right, Yeah. They were here to get theirs and and and and you know, get themselves into the draft and get the hell out, you know, all the way back to guys like Jared Bayless and you know all those.
Speaker 3: Kinds of guys and.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, and and so that that part of it sucks, but it is what it is now, and so you have to That's why I feel like, you know, since we don't have a pro team, you know, in tisson To to cheer for, I'll just cheer for Arizona and I want Arizona to win. And whoever the guys are this particular year, then that's great. And then the guys who do stick around, you kind of get a little more of a you know, you like them more. You know, the no Fafida who was stuck around and other guys who stay you gay, Okay, now that guy got kind of a special place you know for that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you look at even with Seawn's guys. Not to hit hit on this, but how many come back? How many do we know come back?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, because you know exactly.
Speaker 2: So Ray here TJ may be the most endearing guy of all of them under Sean right, and he was here, he comes around and anybody else, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, you know, all the other guys that come back are all guys from the loot year.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, I mean, you know, we don't see Nick Johnson, we don't see DeAndre, and we don't see you know, and Josh Green's and those guys, you know, they they don't come back here.
Speaker 3: Uh you know the guy.
Speaker 6: Now understand that the guys who are coming back more often are guys who are out of basketball now. The Richard Jefferson Channing Fry, you know, those guys who they're not busy with basketball anymore.
Speaker 5: But there aren't too many and Shawn's guys that are yeah really or not.
Speaker 6: So it's you know, it's it's everybody just has to adjust how they take in their sports, right I did did did you wonder how to call me today about this? That he said that the most interesting rivalry that's going to really tell how nil and revenue sharing and all that stuff is the impacting things will be the Arizona Asu rivalry because of how they're made up. Because you need to read the story and it's hard for me to explain in a short period of time, but it's basically, how you got a su sitting in a metropolitan, big metropolitan area, got all these pro teams around it, and how things are going to go for them, Where are the money, where money is going to get spent on them? Then you got Arizona who doesn't have any of that, but yet they're not in a big giant you know, where there's a bunch of corporate headquarters and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Where is the money going to come for them?
Speaker 6: And to watch how these two teams evolve, or these two programs evolve in this era of revenue sharing, nil transfer portal and all the other you know, all the the relocate realignment and stuff. Watching how those two programs survive and come out of this and the contrast between the two, it's gonna be real agree. I totally agree, because he said, like USC and u c l A, they're kind of the same thing, right you know, uh so, just yeah, Oregon or Oregon and Oregon State aren't in the same conference anymore, neither of Washington Washington State, and and then you know they talk about a lot of these things. But Arizona and a s U they're in the same conference, kind of playing for the same things, but they have very different makeups of their program.
Speaker 2: Well, we talked about this when this first came out, Jay, if you remember, would you have rather? Would you rather be a student athlete at a college town where people love you and jury or go to a big city where probably no one even cares, but it's a bigger city with more, more.
Speaker 3: With more.
Speaker 6: So there's a you know that's that's ultimately you know things because you know he's talking about how what players are going to go play at a s U and players can go play at Arizona.
Speaker 3: You know, it's very a really interesting article. You need to go look at it. Well, that sounds like an interesting one. It is, it is, it was.
Speaker 6: It was in the Star, you know, because his Willner's columns in the Star. I think I saw yesterday. Okay, big story of last night. Obviously, the Pacers tied up the series against the Thunder three to three.
Speaker 3: Game seven on Sunday. It's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 2: I was an ass kicking last night. Yeah yeah, I don't think. Okay, she carried to be there. It's tough to win on the road. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 6: Man, you can't you can't take a chance though that. You know, you got to show up. Man, you can't take a chance that. Well, we'll get him at home.
Speaker 2: I didn't watch the game, you like, never know, you go, why so how did Halliburton play Halliburton?
Speaker 3: He did? I did pretty good. I saw pieces or he seemed like he was playing pretty well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he I think they were trying to take care of him a little bit. TJ actually played a minute more than him, So I think.
Speaker 2: Well, if there's a dude who's made a lot of he's already signed the contract, but notoriety is TJ.
Speaker 3: He said some sort of record. Did you see that?
Speaker 6: All time all time combined points, assists and off the bench. I think off the bench rebounds, off the bench in a final series.
Speaker 2: Little old TJ sean, do you think he'll play in the pros? Yeah, I think he's got to get in the world thinking, what the hell are you thinking? He's been ten years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, ye, no, And it's yeah, I mean, it was a good game.
Speaker 4: And I think one of the biggest things that go ahead, no, please, one of the biggest.
Speaker 3: Things that really just like sticks out. That stuck out to me.
Speaker 4: It was like the bench whenever whenever the Pacers win, it's usually the bench has a.
Speaker 5: Ya and he's in Mathrine and and somebody.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna ask you, I'm gonna put you on the spots and all because last year we were talking about Caleb right and and and Mathine Mathrine, and you went with Caleb and if you remember this, and I was saying, what the hell you're gonna pick Caleb Love over over Mathern better?
Speaker 5: So do you think what do you think his situation is? Now? No one has him on the list?
Speaker 2: I asked him, but Sewan and Sean got Tommy and he got on me for asking the question.
Speaker 5: Whatever, I don't see anybody. I don't see it.
Speaker 2: He'll be He'll be playing professionally somewhere. I just don't see him.
Speaker 6: Problem with with Caleb is that there's a lot of guys like him right, size wise, uh, consistent, more consistent, why you know, shooting wise, there's a lot, there's a lot of Caleb loves Ben. Ben Mathern's got something different, right, He's you know, there's something different about him, and I don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: And you know, if you ask me.
Speaker 6: Who's no doubt Ben Matherings better?
Speaker 3: Better, better? Prouh.
Speaker 6: Well, I was trying to show Caleb some love, man, but you know, I hate you said, and I hope he's not listening.
Speaker 3: Caleb loves are a diamond dozen yeah, right? And he was your domina, he wasn't.
Speaker 6: He for Caleb Love to really have appeal in the NBA. He's got to be an extraordinary shooter. And he's not an extraordinary shooter. He extraordinarily shoots a lot, but he's not a he's not an extraordinary shooter. He's not a forty five to fifty you know, long range shooter. And and uh, that's what he for, for who he is and what he the other things that he brings to the table. He needs to be an extraordinary shooter and he, unfortunately is not. He can make he can make a living at pro basketball.
Speaker 3: But it's unlikely that he'll make that living in the NBA.
Speaker 5: Unfortunate, and who knows, maybe he'll surprise.
Speaker 6: And well again you know who was thought that, TJ McConnell. But what what TJ McConnell had. And then you know, Caleb had a good work ethic, it seemed like. But but TJ. McConnell was a bulldog, all right. He wasn't going to let anybody tell him he wasn't good.
Speaker 2: He was the driving force of those tests. All those teams have got the lea he was.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 6: I still remember him wanting to beat the hell out of Stanley Johnson on the court at the Maui Classic.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it was, but his turn.
Speaker 6: Wasn't haw wife, And then he's yelling at Stanley Johnson because he's being a turn.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you saw the story that Doug Heller wrote, you know, it was a fantastic story about when when t J came into the ring of butter and he and this is the type of leader he was. Stanley was the freshman blah blah blahah and he saw him flor.
Speaker 5: You can't do this. You're not going to do this to this team.
Speaker 2: You're not going to be a jerk and become whatever we know with your future.
Speaker 5: But don't you It's not.
Speaker 3: Going to do it here. And that's what I'm talking about. The dude you need.
Speaker 6: It's an intangible that that TJ has that comes out every time he steps on the court, right right, he's out there and even though he's like he's the shortest, he's the whitest, he can't jump, he can't he is in charge. But they respect that when he's out there, and the guys respect that.
Speaker 2: And that's where they play hard for he's in charge. Steve Kerr, come on there, you go okay, yeah, keeping it moving. Uh, Diamondbacks are starting a series against the Rockies.
Speaker 3: Diamondbacks in Colorado. Yes, uh, back at five hundred. Zach Gallon's pitching the night. That's that's promising. Rocky's been looking good though.
Speaker 5: What's up mean?
Speaker 4: It means that they won the almost the twenty.
Speaker 3: Wins Man.
Speaker 2: Days when I take a shower and I look, okay, that's right, and that's just for your comparatively.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you look what you dressed up today? Shower?
Speaker 4: He well that you know, their manager said, don't let him get hot, so watch out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, keeping it going.
Speaker 4: Baseball College World Series Finals tomorrow starts tomorrow for should be four Mountain time or local time. Obviously Coastal Carolina l is here. It's gonna be Uh, it's gonna be good. And I'm excited. That's gonna be a good game or series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it should be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Suspensions also came out for the kind of scuff up between the Padres and the Dodgers. On the Padres pitcher who Drilledo Tawny, Robert Suarez received a three game suspension.
Speaker 3: He's trying to appeal.
Speaker 6: That, and I'll tell you what at least they didn't send him to the minors, so he should be happy that the three game suspension.
Speaker 4: Right, right, And then both both managers, Mike Schildt and Dave Roberts have received a one game suspension for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Speaker 6: I'd love to see him throw And that just would have been so much fun. Too old guys out there just just going at it. That would have been so much fun. We would have talked about that for Yeah. You know, my wife got home last night, so we're watching the game and she goes, what's he doing.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts. I'm like, he's he's fighting. He's too old. Come on, yeah, I said, come on, she's good. Come on, I go back here. I'm like, yeah, this is great, this is good stuff.
Speaker 4: Wrapping it up for today, Wisconsin sues a sman Miami for tampering with a football transfer.
Speaker 3: A lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they think that's going to continue to happen. I mean last week softball they were talking about just how they can deal with the money stop, but they can't deal with just don't tamper. And it's wink wink, you know, because everyone's.
Speaker 6: Everyone doesn't apparently, I mean, you're gonna tell me Wisconsin doesn't ever tamper with anybody, so it.
Speaker 2: Just affected them because they didn't. But they didn't allow him to get into the portal. They said, no, you can't. So he just quit school and decided to get transferred.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, interesting stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess if we want to talk about this San Cup final ratings drop from twenty four and they.
Speaker 5: Were no one's watching hockey.
Speaker 3: They're like me, that was good. That was a good series.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna come back and get ahold of Q Baker from the shooter Schools.
Speaker 3: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 7: It's the foundation of everything, that defines the society.
Speaker 3: Everything you see is a product.
Speaker 7: Of miners, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, rome and modernized based solely on the interals in process. That's windline name is so important.
Speaker 8: Gonibchybm dot com.
Speaker 9: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to oh twelve thirteen browd sponsor.
Speaker 8: Of I on the ball, go catch.
Speaker 10: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instack cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot Com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Are you ready ready to your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement.
Speaker 1: From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource.
Speaker 8: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 11: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise? So Fasco Yuki tries.
Speaker 8: Bring us in the air. And the school year is coming to a close.
Speaker 9: Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier.
Speaker 8: Give them an award they can be proud of.
Speaker 9: They have trophies, blacks, acrylics, art class, fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street, across the street from Pima College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 11: At Noble Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A K nine two nine to four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lyndrix, syn Credit greates and available loan programs or subject to change.
Speaker 3: Don't notice.
Speaker 12: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest.
Speaker 5: Growing hobbies around.
Speaker 12: Whether you're looking at a chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports.
Speaker 8: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 12: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on e Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents? Arizona Pest Control, We'll hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation.
Speaker 2: Today, Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato rock materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 10: Looking for quality windows without the weight, come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection millguard windows and stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom, no problem, From new construction to full home replacement. We'll help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window experts.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all they says it, ohs, this is I on the ball with Steve Rivera on Box sportsporteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Why in the Ball General Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in today Jay Gonzalez and I've got ready behind the scene here now on the phone, we have Q Baker from the Sugar Skulls. Q.
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 14: I'm good man.
Speaker 5: How are you? We're doing fine. That's a cool first name. Thank you, by the way, Hey, and welcome back, welcome home kind of right. You're from Mesa? I am yeah, how's it?
Speaker 3: And Tucson.
Speaker 15: It's it's different. It's a little ways from home, but I'm glad. I'm enjoying my time out here.
Speaker 3: So cute.
Speaker 6: Tell us a little bit about what for tellus about yourself and how you how you you know, kind of your path to the Sugar Skulls, What do you know?
Speaker 3: What have you been doing?
Speaker 6: Where'd you play? All those kinds of things. Would love to hear a little bit about your background.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 14: So this is uh, this is actually my first year with the Sugar Souls.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 15: I've been actually been out of football for a little bit. I graduated almost two years ago now at this point, sitting in psychology up and an Au I was able to find uh someone to get picked up for the Rallers, and I started with the Rattlers for a bit at the beginning of the season, and I believe after like three or four games, I was sent to Tucson the week that we played.
Speaker 14: Them play out of seven and uh that was my first week, first week in Tucson.
Speaker 15: It's definitely been a little bit of a journey since then.
Speaker 2: Well, you must have been fantastically related when you guys beat them.
Speaker 5: You guys have beat them twice.
Speaker 3: Now, right, absolutely.
Speaker 15: I got some pictures from some of our great photographers and you.
Speaker 14: Could definitely see the motion of my face.
Speaker 6: Well, tell me, so, you said you want your ode of football for a while. What made you get back in.
Speaker 15: I just felt that I wasn't done with what I could do on the field. I played a Division III football for the first four years.
Speaker 3: Of my life.
Speaker 15: I transferred up to SCS my last and I personally just felt like I could have I could have did better for my time in college. But it's granted. Seeing how one of the things laid out, I just wanted to give myself the opportunity to prove that I could play at a higher level of football.
Speaker 5: Where did you go with D three?
Speaker 14: My first school at Central College and Iowa.
Speaker 2: Okay, so those four years and then and you how'd that go? Because they're kind of an up and coming program. I mean, you mentioned any you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna you're gonna say I know you're gonna say it.
Speaker 5: You're going to say it, and then you'll beat a resulta not too long ago.
Speaker 15: Absolutely, yeah, And he's definitely been a program that's been on the rise. They've had like a couple of issues in terms of like stats and some of the players recently, but in terms of like the last couple of years and even the last season, they did pretty well. So I'm glad to see and uh and and I'm hoping to see them continue to in the future.
Speaker 6: What what do you hope to find out about yourself playing for the Sugar Skulls. And I mean, I mean, obviously you'd like to have an opportunity to you know, to move up to a higher league or whatever.
Speaker 3: But what do you want to see happen here?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: What will what will make you happy that you that you came back to play?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 15: Making me happy with see this team go to the playoffs and continue with success that we've had, you know, like even kind of going from where we were at that point when we first played the Rattlers. We hadn't beat them at that time, and we had still been kind of seen as like the little brother to that team, is because we did have a lot of traded people from that team.
Speaker 14: So it's the fact that like we're starting to gain a respect and.
Speaker 15: And doing these uh, these large comebacks that a lot of people wouldn't be able to do themselves, or wouldn't even believe that believe they would do, or like see them coming. So like the fact that we're putting ourselves out there and showing that we're definitely a team that deserves.
Speaker 3: To be on the field.
Speaker 14: I'm just I definitely would like to see us go to the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no question, go ahead.
Speaker 4: So you know, just talking about the Rattlers, you guys, uh beat them on Saturday in triple ot what kind of you know, what's going through your mind? Like, you know, how much do you like rely on those like practice those like those practices before the season starts, you know, the camaraderie between your teammates to just kind of you know, band together and uh, you know, kind of will that one.
Speaker 15: Out, you know, and those moments when you're in triple overtime and the only thing you really can focus on yourself yourself at that point, and the biggest thing is like knowing that as a team we were able to collectively without really needing to say anything to each other through every overtime, like every every time we got to a different like opportunity where we needed to work together to overcome a hurdle to score. Those are those moments when you are worried that you need to say something to every single one of your teammates. But continuing like the Camarado, what we've had and just building with this team we've had the fact that we were able to continue to work without really spearing what the outcome was because we trusted in each other so much.
Speaker 2: So, just to let you know, Jay here was the former was the former president of these sugar schools a couple three years back work. Uh, let me say, if you beat Kevin one more time, they might cancel the season.
Speaker 3: Did you go to give him a big hug after you beat him again?
Speaker 15: You remember me, he had a big old grand.
Speaker 16: After I don't know that he would take the joke very well, you know, absolutely, so any surprises for you, K, You're playing your first season, you come from you your where you came from Division three and a U and then you're playing in this league.
Speaker 5: Any surprises to you, How cool it has it been, whatever.
Speaker 14: It has been.
Speaker 15: This is my first time playing center, and so I've had to transition to a new position.
Speaker 5: So just learning a.
Speaker 15: Different part of the game I didn't have before, and just my introduction to arena ball. Like I've always known about it, but I've never really paid too too much attention.
Speaker 14: The fact that, like there are so many people.
Speaker 15: That support it, like really across the country, and the fact that there are three teams in Arizona. It's like, it really is cool to see the sport thrive, and the fact that there's so many fans and people interested in the fact that there's so many communities that do get reached by it's very.
Speaker 6: Cool to be a part of How much of an adjustment was it for you, you know, from the outdoor game to the indoor game. Kind I always ask this of guys who are just you know, getting into it and trying to understand what is it really really different or is it basically the same game.
Speaker 15: It's a it's a different game, for sure. Everything is a lot quicker, I know for me, especially at center, I generally say, like with the outdoor game, you wouldn't deal with a zero tech too often unless you were dealing with like a certain kind of defense. But with the indoor game, you don't have as many landmen to rely on. Like I was a tackle while I play on the outdoor game, so I was used to being able to slow play the outside because of my space. I could run them outside or I could trust my guard if I had to go inside. But seeing that we don't have as much space, everything is a lot more quicker, and like you have to be on your game a lot more quicker.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no question, Do you like it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean do you like the differences? I guess the better question.
Speaker 14: I enjoy it?
Speaker 15: Yes, I do enjoy the differences that there that there is from outdoor football. I was kind of catching myself one time watching an Ah just of the fact that again it being so different, the fact that there are so many people that have like come together to watch a different version of the game that we all love it shows how much really everyone of the like truly does love football and supports football, especially being one of the states that doesn't have to me of the bigger or just college programs in general that we want to ways to get some football here.
Speaker 2: You must be about twenty three four if that right, yes, say twenty three twenty three. So what do you think if this is what you do, how long do you think you can do it?
Speaker 5: If you wanted to prove yourself.
Speaker 15: God given, I believe I could given my age and my status. Hopefully within these next couple of years, I can prove that I deserve to play on a bigger field, just kind of like I've had to prove myself and pilots. I didn't really start with any offers and I didn't really have too many people calling. So when I didn't have my opportunity, I just kind of put my head down and worked and showed that I deserve to play at at a higher stage. And I definitely believe I can do this if I play my cards right with this opportunity. So I believe hopefully with the next couple of years I can I can get that done. So before my body starts beating up.
Speaker 3: On me too.
Speaker 5: Bad Jane, that's yet. No, you have to think about that for sure.
Speaker 2: So what do you what do you what did you get you to in what do you hope to do beyond football?
Speaker 15: I got my degree in psychology, and before I had transferred, I had a minor and art. I definitely would like to pursue tattooing, and we're working in my hand. I'm kind of entrepreneuring my.
Speaker 14: Spare time.
Speaker 15: I have actually, funny enough, been trusted to tattoo a couple of my teammates. I've been growing my art, trying to grow myself as a person. I have an Instagram page dedicated to my tattoos if you wanted to check it out, and Q bears tattoos que Bears tattoos on Instagram and over my journey with that, I started that in college and just getting to the point where I am with that, I'm very satisfied and seeing my growth and almost in awesome times of some of the professions I've town that have been more mentally challenging and very time consuming, and just trying to do what I can. Like I said as a young twenty thre year old, to do everything I can while I'm here you know what I mean. I have a lot of passions in terms of probably coaching or teaching children, especially with kind of the disconnect we have with a lot of the older generation today.
Speaker 5: So given given.
Speaker 15: Some good opportunities, I definitely like to set myself up to either be some kind of guidance counselor a mentor and someone who could use art to help people in a therapy.
Speaker 14: Kind of way, people who can't really.
Speaker 15: Do things a certain way or the same way as everyone else can.
Speaker 4: So you know, talking about tattooing, and I'm a big I love getting tattooed, looking at like tattoo shows and stuff like that. You know, used to have a subscription to InCD. What do you what would you say like kind of spark that interest? Obviously your big art guy, but also how do you think that you know your mentor? You know, while you're trying to get into maybe a shop or something has like maybe influenced you on wanting to be a mentor too.
Speaker 3: Like you were just talking.
Speaker 15: About, I definitely pulled from a lot of the coaches and the mentoring I've had throughout my lifetime. So with the art thing I've I come from a very geez, I'm sorry. I come from a group of very talented individuals. My eldest brother was an artist like myself, and my mom was also one that didn't really shy away from expression of her house. She had tattoos and the different hair colors, and so I was able to kind of express myself a little early in terms of that. And I also saw that tattoos are expensive, so I thought I could do that myself, and just being pushed by a lot of different people. I played three sports in high school.
Speaker 14: And again went my way to college without.
Speaker 15: The without scholarships offers.
Speaker 5: So I've definitely just been pushed.
Speaker 15: By people who have seen potential, seeing the focus that I've had in different sports and kind of push uh, pushed me sometimes when I do want to push myself and just knowing how valuable and important that is, especially the the time of my life I was at. I definitely would like to be a kind of person who can be there for for people who don't always have someone to tell them what to do or a certain way to go.
Speaker 2: Very cool, very cool, congratulations, that's uh, that's uh inspiring. I think because you're twenty three years old, you don't get that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just you know, just your your ability to kind of think this stuff right right right, and and and and set you know, those kinds of goals for yourself.
Speaker 3: And you know that wasn't me.
Speaker 2: So he was picked up. What country club he was going to go play? Yeah, you know, good for you, Good for you. We'll see what happens with you the rest of the way.
Speaker 6: You guys are at home this week, right, uh Northern Arizona who you guys handled them.
Speaker 3: Earlier in the year.
Speaker 2: You're home for the next two weeks, right, Uh, yes, sir, I believe all right, yeah, okay, back to back, but.
Speaker 5: No, good to hear from you.
Speaker 2: We'll be talking to you guys more often as the summer progresses. Thanks c absolutely, thank you for having me people.
Speaker 5: That was fun. Cool.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking I'd never get a tattoo, sorry, because I'm too too much of a whim pack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't know that bad?
Speaker 2: Well that bad. You know what's starting right now? Nothing because nothing happen.
Speaker 6: Actually, I actually had this conversation with one of my daughters, like if I got a tattoo, what do you think it should be?
Speaker 3: And they had nothing.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Dodgers log.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dodgers log or you of a low.
Speaker 5: It doesn't hurt that bad right now I'm going through.
Speaker 3: It just feels like a scratch.
Speaker 4: And sometimes you know because like you know, I've had a couple of tattoos where I've had to go like like give it a couple of sessions. So you go in one week like with Saturday or something, and you give it a week. Then you come back and the thing is like your tattoo will get really itchy. And so like that second session when they're just like when like the needles on you, it feels so good.
Speaker 3: It just feels like it's scratching like an inch that you can do that.
Speaker 6: I'll take suggestions for a tattoo.
Speaker 17: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, we believe less is more. Let's piece mean more money in your pocket, Let's have sole means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence.
Speaker 18: In your financial future. Pyramids Less There's More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union where Less is More federally insured by n c U, A an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 2: If you're a neighbors on a men's basketball fan, you know what's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludolsen era In my new book, Lessons from Lout it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 13: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 19: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose.
Speaker 3: The equipment you need to reach your goals.
Speaker 19: Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement. How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial lad available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Temple or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three.
Speaker 20: Three craving Tucson's Best Burger. The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Wall on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty. Want to take part in the show?
Speaker 3: Call up?
Speaker 1: Steve now went five to two oh four one six seventy four to forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Ye on the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, You're.
Speaker 5: Jay, you got Ray.
Speaker 2: You've got about ten twelve minutes for you guys to call five two zero four one six seventy four to forty what's on your mind? Talk about whatever you want to talk about. We'll take your call. We'll put you on. Just don't cuss.
Speaker 3: I got a button. Good luck with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as long as money comes in there he starts speaking Spanish.
Speaker 3: Get Jeff HAMMERSHM on the phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been a few, Yeah, a few, Yeah, a few. I have have you hed one once? I think I did not too long to subject. I've wanted a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I wanted to today pretty much every day.
Speaker 5: What else? Is this the dog day summers?
Speaker 6: But it is, you know it is. I'm watching a lot of golf baseball every night. Scotti Scheffer. Of course, he's tied for the lead with Justin Thomas Well, Thomas conn Yeah, Thomas Connon. It's funny today. JJ Spahn, Right, guy wins the US Open last week. I don't think he made the cut. He was six over at one point today. But you know they there were a bunch of guys that went way low yesterday. I mean Scotti Scheffer looked like he was going to shoot fifty nine. Yes, he ended up shooting a sixty two eight under part right. But today the conditions completely changed. Today there was a howling win. They're in Connecticut, a howling win. So JJ Spahn US Open champ from last week puts from off the green, rolls it up by the hole. But it's like at the top of a hill. The ball stops before he can get up there to market. The wind blows it off the green. It blew it a little bit, and it hit the front, the false front, and it rolled back off the green, and like that. That's what they were dealing with it. So the scores weren't very low today. Like Scheffer, he was one of the leaders at eight under going into the day. He's now nine under, but he's still tied for the lead. Crazy stuff. So that and then baseball. I'm watching, you know, Dodgers every night. Okay, here's something I would understand. I don't know other people have experiences. We're in the Diamondbacks territory, right, Diamondbacks are up the road. We're in the Diamondbacks television territory. We're also in the Padres television territory. So when the Dodgers are playing the Padres, they're blacked out here in Tucson.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what the hell?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know how.
Speaker 6: How is Tucson, Arizona in two different television markets.
Speaker 3: Why isn't it just one? I think it's that way with the Cowboys two, right, is it? No?
Speaker 6: No, just the Cardinals. It's just the Cardinals. But it makes no sense to me. So so you know, I get them. I have the MLB TV thing helps you and I, but I can't watch No, I can't watch Dodgers Padres games because we're in we're in the black?
Speaker 3: Or did it was on the MLB channel?
Speaker 6: The last three of the three of the four of those four games were on the MLB channel.
Speaker 5: Show when was the last time you watched the Dodgers in Phoenix? Basically? What's two years ago?
Speaker 3: We didn't go last year?
Speaker 5: What's the make up? What's the Oh.
Speaker 6: You go to you go to a dot, you go to a Dodger It's it's half Dodger fans.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, there's blue all over there.
Speaker 2: I went to the Dodgers. I went to the Padres Diamondbacks for the weekend. I really couldn't tell. There was a lot of Padres, but not not that many.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, we went to uh two years ago, went to again fifty fifty and yeah, it's it's it's it's fifty to fifty.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of a lot of Dodger fans go to those games.
Speaker 5: That's kind of how phoenixes anyway.
Speaker 6: With Cardinals like Cargo, Yeah, you know, you go to a Cardinals game, and if it's if it's any of the West Coast teams, or if it's the Broncos, the Bears, the Packers, when when Peyton Manning was playing.
Speaker 3: With it was the Colts Giants, Yeah, Giants.
Speaker 6: You know it's there's a there's a over the Cowboys over fifty, forty nine ers over fifty. I went to Uh, I went to a Colts game there and it was when Peyton Manning was playing and there were just a ton of Colts fans there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, so now it's I mean, that's just where it is.
Speaker 5: You know, you've been, Yeah, I've been.
Speaker 4: I've been to a Diamondbacks game and a nine Cardinals games.
Speaker 5: Same thing.
Speaker 6: Now, we'll say we went to two years ago, went to the playoff game. Yeah, Dodgers, uh, Diamondbacks playoff game, and that was mostly Diamondbacks fans. They got the tickets, right, I mean, there were still a lot of Dodger fans, but it was more Diamondback fans than Dodger fans because they went to the game. But you know, no, you got you go to that, but you any any but any one of the Dodgers play its like that, though.
Speaker 3: You go see them, you go see them in San Diego. There's a ton of dog, a ton of dog.
Speaker 5: Hello, you're on the air nine of the ball. Who's this? Ye, Nico? What's up?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 21: Why are you trashing my Cardinals?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 6: Because they're easy to trash.
Speaker 21: Hey man? When they're playing a home game the Red.
Speaker 3: Sea, is it forty Cardinals?
Speaker 21: Nobody wants to talk about the forty nine. They're gonna be trash this year anyway, you're forty nine ers, man, Kyler Murray's winning m v P.
Speaker 3: I'm counting m v PO. Nico. You got somebody that's good stuff going, don't you?
Speaker 21: Hey man? I might be enjoying some referra you.
Speaker 6: Got you, you got a new suppliers what you got, and he's bringing bringing the good stuff he did.
Speaker 21: Though, I will agree with you, man, the Dodgers Powdres aren't a rivalry.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 21: They're not now the Diamondbacks and the Dodgers, that is a very bitter rivalry.
Speaker 6: Well, ever since the dog, ever since the Dodgers jumped in.
Speaker 21: Their pool, I know that pool hasn't been the same. I need to sue the Dodgers for like a million.
Speaker 5: Dollars, billion dollars nothing anymore.
Speaker 8: How you been, Nico, I've been all right?
Speaker 5: So tell me who I asked you?
Speaker 6: This?
Speaker 2: About the stadium experience?
Speaker 5: You and your dad? Go, what do you want?
Speaker 21: Man? I don't care. I didn't renew my season ticket.
Speaker 3: You didn't do whatever the hell they want?
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah about Nico? For what reason, I don't know.
Speaker 21: Just became too much, got tired of tail, getting got tired of just leaving at halftime after spending two hundred bucks on beer.
Speaker 3: Beer prices are hot.
Speaker 5: Well that's a part of is.
Speaker 6: You can't buy a small beer there, right, everything's a big fat tall boy?
Speaker 21: Why did just buy two of those tall boys at a time? That's the limit?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I can barely drink one of those.
Speaker 5: You're not twenty seven years.
Speaker 3: Old, and I know, I know.
Speaker 21: Hey man, you gotta get a little hair on your going at.
Speaker 5: Thank you man with that before you get fired here? Thank you, my boy? Nico?
Speaker 2: Was that your first time with Nico's called before?
Speaker 3: Always got that Joe Boy's a cool guy. He sounds like cool guys.
Speaker 16: Well four years ago, Nico, he's spent like forty days and forty nights in the desert one time.
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, getting back to that, Steve, I don't know what the answer is, which you know, for the Arizona you know, for stadium, I don't know what the answer is.
Speaker 3: It needs to be obviously, winning has to help.
Speaker 6: But there's gout, you know, there's I'll admit, there's not a there's not an atmosphere that gets you. It gets you going right now, and I don't know how you create that. But there are little things that you can do to kind of that you hope lead to other things, right And one of them, as we said, is if the band could you know, get the crowd fired up at the start of the game with a great band entrance. And then if this I mean like the video comes on, you know, there's the band video, then there's a team video. The team video comes on and there's somebody narrating. You can't tell what they're saying, so it doesn't mean anything. You see that, you see the images and you assume somebody is saying something about those images.
Speaker 3: Really you can't, but I can't hear what they're saying. Oh yeah, that's not right, it's not again, my my hearing is bad. You know, I I blew up a firework in my right ear and I got bees buzzing in there all the time.
Speaker 6: But you know, the sound, admittedly, everybody knows, and you talk to people at the UF, they know that it's a horrible sound.
Speaker 2: It's got to be better. Well if we have her on anytime. So I'll see what's going on. But they gotta do some fan engagement stuff.
Speaker 6: I know they're going to do a meet the Team thing coming up and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But you know, the fans got to get more excited too.
Speaker 2: Did you hear our interview with Brennan a lot of months I did. He came off fantastic. Yeah, I mean, and that's who he is. It was kind of like everything has just kind of been let go.
Speaker 6: And yeah, well remember not too long ago that I think the big twelve coaches came out and they put him at the bottom of, you know, among the listed coach. I'm like, we don't know how good a coach he is yet because of how bad things were last year. I think, you know, a lot of those things were bad because of you know, his the hires he made. They didn't have a good offensive coordinator, they didn't have a good defensive cordarator, they had a terrible offense, they weren't competitive in a lot of their games, and there were a lot of circumstances, injuries and stuff like that. I just don't think, you know, I this year will tell us a whole lot more with a with an innovative offensive coordinator, a new defensive coordinator who's maybe gonna do some different things as well, you know, a third a third year starter at quarterback. Let's see what happens this year. Clearly he's not the mild mannered guy that everybody thinks he is, right you know, on the sideline and stuff like that, because one he's lighting his coach's coach. He's not like he's not like Jed Fish was in the middle of the you know, calling plays and all that kind of shu. So it's gonna I'm waiting to see what it looks like.
Speaker 5: Are you gonna give.
Speaker 3: Him more than one more than one one year?
Speaker 5: Because yeah, okay, so no more than this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't think he's a terrible coach.
Speaker 6: I think I truly believe they'll have some improvement just because they're going to be doing different things. You know when when you sat there and thought about it at the end of the year, why were they so bad? And one probably the seventy five percent reason why they were so bad was because of that offense they were running. It wasn't built for the guys they had. You know, everything was built around dropping back and throwing the ball to t Mac and nothing else.
Speaker 3: There was nothing else going on.
Speaker 6: They you know, they had hint injuries at running back, but they couldn't run the ball anyways.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know how much of the if you how much of.
Speaker 6: The uh that spring thing that they had, you know, watching the plays, but it looked a lot to me like what you used to see in the Riche Rotis where he had just like five receivers that would all go out and somebody was always open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see, And that's what I'm hoping to see.
Speaker 5: I we'll see, uh.
Speaker 6: I mean, no superstars, right, but just a bunch of guys. You send enough guys out there in some sort of a scheme and it's up to know where to find somebody open.
Speaker 3: And I think he's that kind of a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Well, this will be the year that they have you know, the whole drop back pro type of offense that they ran last year just didn't.
Speaker 5: Work, No, didn't. And people wanted him.
Speaker 6: To know that, right, and you know what and he heard, yeah, right heard, and so let's see what happens.
Speaker 2: Well. I enjoyed the conversation. I'll be talking to him again later for you just about who he is and would make some ticks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think people still don't know enough about it.
Speaker 5: No, they don't.
Speaker 3: They just don't.
Speaker 6: They think he's this guy who you know, he wears the the leys and and they don't see him jumping up and down and Mike stoops on the sidelines and you don't want that, and you don't want that, but you know, but he looks he looks semi uninvolved, right, But it's because he's letting coach his coach and he's that kind of a coach.
Speaker 3: They've told me had the same issue, right.
Speaker 6: You know, there were a lot of times people say, what does he do on the sidelines, where does the cat backwards and walks around?
Speaker 3: Well, because he was letting he believed in his coaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll see what happens here in a few months. Yeah, Okay, I'm excited.
Speaker 5: I just like, yeah, it's a good Saturday, it's a good time, good Friday night.
Speaker 3: I want to see what happens.
Speaker 5: Okay, we've got to get some band and they uh.
Speaker 3: Speakers, the speakers, and I got speakers in my car that are better than that. Maybe some shape, yeah, and a mister. It's just it's the weather man for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you don't even you're not even involved with that. You're out in the cozy booth. Yeah, but I mean, yeah, sure you're thinking about your brothers, people, my peers, people go oh my god.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's go. We gotta go. Thanks everybody. Talk to you guys next week.