Speaker 1: Let's do the Minnesota goodbye and here we go. Janita, will you kick things off for us? You will, Anita, You're delightful. Let's get started. Here's Juanita's RNT.
Speaker 2: Hey yall, Hey, So this week's rent is about school activities. So my son plays basketball for and Over High school, Go Huskies. Now, in order for him to play basketball, me and his dad had to pay four hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: For him to play. That's fine.
Speaker 2: He wanted to play hockey, but we looked into how much fucking hockey costs and I'm like shit, I just gave him an excuse that black people don't play hockey.
Speaker 1: So he's playing basketball.
Speaker 2: But here's the part that pisses me off. So whenever there's a tournament at school and me and his dad go, we have to pay as parents ten dollars to get in. It's like fuck, I just paid four hundred dollars for him to play, I gotta pay ten dollars to watch him play. Then, on top of that, they make the parents of the players volunteer their services on weekends, so I have to go and work the concession on Friday or Saturday, volunteerily. So that means that I have to give up my weekend to serve Chick fil A sandwiches and fucking sour patches and gatorade to some sweaty teenagers. It's like, come on, what. I understand that the referees got to get paid and blah blah blah, but still, god damn it shit pisses me off. Well that's my rent.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny. I've heard that we were never a sports family. Allison played volleyball and Carson was in banned, so we were not a sports family. Alison was like theater volleyball a little bit. But hockey, ef heard, is very expensive, from the uniforms of the pads of the skates, to the ice time and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Even four hundred dollars for basketball.
Speaker 4: Sorry I might have missed it. Did she say what grade he's in school?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, also I went there. I don't know.
Speaker 4: That seems like a lot. And to play to pay extra for tournaments, I don't know. When I played high school soccer, we didn't have to pay extra for anything besides the initial registration.
Speaker 5: Right, And that's what I mean. I'm not playing a sport, but for speech, it's one hundred dollars to just be registered.
Speaker 1: What does the money go to.
Speaker 5: It goes for like buses and like tournament fees, so like every time you sign up for a tournament, and I assume it's the same with like a sport, but you have to pay for like each entry into the tournament.
Speaker 1: Well, Wanita, I'm glad that, honestly, they're not sticking pat taxpayers with that, because I think that obviously there's four hundred dollars that probably does need to be spent on, you know, the coaches, the referees and equipment, but probably bus time and that type of thing. But I'm I'm really glad that it's on the parents because it's an optional thing. And I know, Janita, I get it, you're pissed. I had to work the concession stand a couple of times, I think when Carson was in band and when Allison was in volley, and I didn't mind it. You know, it's actually kind of fun. It's like a three hour job and it's kind of fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, good for you, Janita, that you even do that, because I anytime I email any of the parents for the kids on my team, I get crickets zero people respond to my emails, and I had thirty kids on my team.
Speaker 1: This is something you'll notice is you're raising kids and you have them in Girl Scouts or gymnastics or band or Boy Scouts or whatever, the same three people volunteer and run everything. The rest of the parents they don't for whatever reason. And sometimes they have a legitimate excuse, like, hey, mom is coaching softball and she's got a kid in Boy Scouts, she's probably not going to volunteer to be an assistant Scout master. But there are literally some people that just don't ever think of volunteering. Yeah, and we were in Boy Scouts. The same handful of us did everything. I'm looking at Dan and Kim and Gwynn and me and Susan. Yeah we did everything. And I'm probably forgetting some people. But that is the thing about volunteers is some people it never occurs to them. One of my favorite stories was there was this wonderful family. They're very sweet, and he was very nice, and his wife was very charming and had a very well behaved kid. But they would come to the campouts and they would watch as you cooked pancakes and you cook bacon, and then you'd be like, Okay, yeah, breakfast is ready. They'd walk up, they'd scoop up all the food, and they'd stand around while you were washing dishes. Yes, and we used to make fun of them because they were so kind, but they would sit there and talk to you. Yes, and you're working extra hard to show them, bitch, I'm working here while you're eating the fucking pancakes that I made you.
Speaker 3: I feel the.
Speaker 5: Same way when like parents approached me at the end of the year and they're like, oh, you have done so much for my daughter, blah blah blah, And I'm like, really, because this is the first time I've ever spoken to you in my entire life, and I've emailed you eight hundred times. So oh makes me mad wanting to Actually you made me mad, so but good for you for volunteering.
Speaker 3: Wanted to yet your on the back.
Speaker 4: We did have this discussion on the show though, one time, that some people contribute via like sending money to whatever might be going on because they don't have the time. Yeah, and so some people I forgot. It's like a specific name you give to the people who will volunteer versus the people who are just like here's money, so this can happen, and like, people were pretty split. They're like, yeah, I don't have the time, but I give you money, and the people that do at the time do go and volunteer.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's neither.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think sometimes it is neither, But yeah, I totally get that. The next one Stephanie is writing in she says, I'm watching Toy Story with my kid tonight, and I'm loving how many amazing references are made that only adults would notice. Mister potato Heads says wood he is a kiss hass by taking his mouth and then touching his butt. Oh, he takes his mouth off and then touches his butt. Sid tortures Woody and is pretending he's part of a rebellion group. Buzz is drunk due to his overwhelming emotional realization that he is only a toy anyway. Doing a deep dive into Toy Story, I learned that kid Sid is played by a teenage heart throb that anybody who saw Princess Diaries would appreciate Eric von Detton. Oh no idea. Huh Now when I listen back to it, it totally makes sense. But oh boy, that was crazy at first. Hey, random email. Love it, Thank you, Stephanie.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it is great. First CGI movie to ever be created, like a full length movie, my fact.
Speaker 1: Next one is this where I can send an idea for the Minnesota Goodbye, says Angelique. Yes, yes, I will write her back right now. Yes, yep.
Speaker 3: Maybe she'll get back to us during the Minnesota Goodbye.
Speaker 1: Be amazing. Oh. Next one, this is an interesting one. It says politics not scary. I promise please don't say my name. Hi, guys, I don't want to let the subject of the email scare you. I'm not looking to sparkle political debate. I just have some questions. I know you guys don't talk about politics on the show. I was wondering that's something you're contractually not allowed to do, or if it's something you choose to do as to not cause a divide or ruffle any feathers with your listeners. Your show is one of the few non political podcast media that I listened to on a regular basis, And while it's nice to have a reprieve from the chaos at our country that is our country, I find myself being nosy, wondering where you guys stand and getting frustrated that it's something you can't or don't talk about. Of Course, I completely respect that you don't talk about it, and I'm not asking you to divulge that information, just adding some context. I'm curious if it's ever hard for you guys to say neutral when you do talk about political news on Dave's Dirt. For example, as someone who has a very strong and very negative opinion on the current administration, I would find it really hard not to be able to talk about or address some of the things going on right now, and I'm curious if that's something any of you struggle with regarding politics in general, not just current news. I hope this email is able to be read. I know it's a really touchy subject anyway. Thanks for all you guys do. I moved out of Minnesota eight years ago and have brought you along with me on three moves and will continue to do so as long as you're on the air. Your show feels like home. This is getting too mushy, so dart Lick Dark Lick, No, we deliberately were not asked to, but it would be frowned upon if we talked more about politics because it's so polarizing when roughly half of the people listening feel this way, and roughly half of the people listening feel this way. That's why you'll never see a conservative watching the view, because it just they don't like it. But if you're a liberal, you love the view. But I think that as passionately as you hate the current administration, we have to respect the fact that there are people who just as passionately hated the last administration. So there's no way when we've got so many other things to talk about that everybody can agree on nachos nachos for example, Yeah, a good one. We can talk about nachos.
Speaker 3: For tacos or tacos.
Speaker 1: And does rice belong on a taco?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it depends.
Speaker 1: What does it depend on? What do you mean, let's say have a taco bar. Yeah, there's all kinds of topjlapannos. There's onions, there's cheese, there's lettuce, there's sour cream, there's bacon bits, and there's rice. Now you can use the rice or the beans as a side dish, or you can put the rice on the taco.
Speaker 4: It depends. I think I would say Spanish rice. I might be dabbling it onto my tacos, depending on what the other options are. And I need a little bit more flavor because sometimes, like especially if you're like a taco bar, the lettuce looks like it's been sitting there for five days and the tomatoes are in a soup. It's like a white, you know, taco bar. So like it doesn't really depend.
Speaker 3: Tago Street taco.
Speaker 1: We we do a taco bar at our house, like not as often when as a matter of fact, never when Carson's not home, because you know, we just don't. But fresh your own fresh taco bombs. Yeah, with tomatoes that are still solid tomatoes.
Speaker 3: Some sliced like onions. That sounds so good.
Speaker 1: I do. I do do sliced onion. I do chopped onions.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: But then do you ever on Taco Tuesday instead of just the shells, do you ever put out little tortillas and then like Merca, make yourself a little burrito?
Speaker 3: Ooh?
Speaker 5: I mean I just eat them as tacos in general, and I just hope that the meat is like soupy enough so it's like super like moist.
Speaker 1: I gotcha so bad. Jenny and I had a taco eating contest one time and I think I ate seven.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds great.
Speaker 4: I don't even remember. All I know is you were at least like two ahead of me, and you kind of stopped like at one point because you knew that you were going to beat me. Like you could have kept going and you could have gotten even more, but you knew that, like there was no chance I was catching up, and I felt like garbage. And he and you texted me that night and You're like, how are you feeling?
Speaker 1: I was like, awful. I remember that, Yeah, absolutely awful.
Speaker 4: And I'll never forget. It was the second week of me training with my new trainer, and I canceled on her because I was a train with her that day and I was like, I swear, this is not how it's going to be. Like we just randomly had a tacowating contest today, Like I cannot be there today.
Speaker 3: I could beat you in a tako eating contesting.
Speaker 1: I would do it, but I'm really sticking to my New Year's to like just go as long you're doing dry January and I'm doing a semi dry January, but I'm definitely not doing Culver's taco bell, pizza anything like that this month. Okay, my system just needs a purge. Oh that's a chicken, broccoli, lot, lot of salads.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should eat fish, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of fish too. Yeah, fish is really good for you. So anyway, do you see how that discussion And I won't say your name, but I do find it interesting that you don't want your name on the radio as representing somebody who doesn't like the current administration. You don't want to be attacked. We wouldn't want to be attacked. So in other words, and I'll say it again, just for every person that feels as passionately as you do about in your opinion, I promise you there's going to be just as many people that feel passionate about the other side. So if we ever get like if I ever make a Joe Biden joke, for example, people will be like, yeah, well there you go, you maga Trumpster. And I'm like, all I did was say that Joe Biden wandered off into the jungle, you know what I mean? Yeah? Or if I say something about Trump and whatever he wants to turn the Golf of Mexico into the Golf of America, and I talk about how stupid that is people will like, there you go, you snowflake liberal. Yeah, so we just don't we just stay away from it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We get a lot of hate for anything you say that leans either way.
Speaker 1: So and I'm glad that we are a respite for you from that. And it is very deliberate, but it's also polite, you know what I mean. Yeah, you wouldn't walk into your boyfriend's parents' house and they got it like the dad's wearing a Donald Trump hat and you go, oh Jesus Christ, do not see who this guy in? Right? Exactly?
Speaker 3: So Hey, email us back though your favorite kind of talk, because that's important.
Speaker 1: More importantly, Does Rice go on a taco?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, you, Bailey, Bailey, you know.
Speaker 3: It sounds good. I'll past store tacos right now.
Speaker 1: Say that again.
Speaker 3: Pastore tacos al pastor.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is, but.
Speaker 5: It's like a street taco. It's so oh you guys, I'm hungry. Why do we always talk about food all the time? Uh? Because we are the hungriest morning show in town from Hungry Hungry Hippos years.
Speaker 1: Ago when Nabisco worked on the show. You know, I love chicken McNuggets. There are God's gift to food and the food world. Chrisco and I challenged each other in a McNugget eating contest and Chris go's a big boy and he ate, I don't know, fifty or seventy or whatever. And I said, how many are you gonna eat? He's like, all I got to dool to winters. He one more than you. And that's what that motherfucker did. He matched me chicken nugget for chicken nugget, and when I could not take any more, he had one more anyone.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that was back in our really healthy days. If you could eat as much of anything as you want right now, what would it be? French French fries.
Speaker 3: French price.
Speaker 5: I love French fries, and then maybe give me some like malt vinegar to go with them and salt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jenny's a great question. Am I thinking sweeter? Am I thinking savory? If I'm thinking sweet, I'm going puppy.
Speaker 3: Chow, puppy chow? Jenny, Okay, can I do both?
Speaker 1: You do whatever you want? What about you pizza for sure? Yeah? I had pizza. Miss I missed pizza.
Speaker 4: What I said. That's a really good choice.
Speaker 1: By the way, I random thought I gotta give a shout out to Anita once again, because she mailed Vaunt a shirt that she had homemade, and I got to give her a shout out. It says justice for Vaunt and it's got a gavel on it.
Speaker 4: We did talk about it last week on the Minnesota Go was on with us, So yeah, we we gave wanted to a shout out. And then of course Bailey and I made Wanita feel bad because we felt like we were Choppoliver. So Janita said she hasn't forgotten about us either, She's just trying to figure out what to do for us.
Speaker 1: Well, she got me a shirt that's so like a gun company shirt because Janita and I both I think we have the concealed or the carry permit. Yeah, and so wann and I joke that if anybody ever tries to break into our house, they're going to get an extra hole blown in their ass. And so Wanita, I'm not a gun nut by any means. I just happened to be proficient with firearms and have an arsenal awaiting uninvited guests at my house, an arsenal at.
Speaker 4: A shooting range. Do you really think that everyone around would be like, he's very proficient. Do you think you're that good?
Speaker 1: No, because most people that go to a shooting range are at least as proficient as I am. But I'm a really good shot. If you don't believe me, then that's tough. But I am a really good shot. I got the sharp shooter badge when I was a boy scout.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, what were you shooting as a boy scout targets?
Speaker 1: Bitch? What do you think I'm shooting with a gun with a twenty two? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they do that in boy scouts.
Speaker 1: They probably do it in scouts too. Yeah. No, there's a rifle and shotgun shooting merit badge. Yeah.
Speaker 3: My grandpa said I was a good shot.
Speaker 5: He was like a not a famous trap shooter, but he got like awards awarded trap shooter my grandpa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a big thing. A lot of Carson's friends were into trap or skeet shooting. I did it once, and I was terrible at it because you got to lead the target a little bit and you go pull and the other person pulls the thing and it goes shooting like a clay frisbee. You got to lead the shot and a shotgun is like not one bullet, it's a spread of tiny pellets, so they have a better chance. I sucked at it. I could not could not get it.
Speaker 4: Andrew's really good at skeet shooting into my eye?
Speaker 3: Are you proud?
Speaker 4: I am proud of that one. I said, Andrew's really good at skeet shooting into my eye.
Speaker 3: You got pink eye?
Speaker 1: Yeah, burns.
Speaker 4: Don't advise to ever do that.
Speaker 1: No, you wouldn't think that seamen would burn when you get it in your eye.
Speaker 3: Do you know it burns?
Speaker 1: Well, I've been on the giving end. Yeah, yeah, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: It doesn't discriminate.
Speaker 5: Okay, oh, I'm thinking it burns in your own eye. That's what I thought you were talking about.
Speaker 1: No, of course no, but I've a I've been on the giving end and it was like oh waight, oh out and then her eyes burning like you put like alcohol in there and is like red for the rest of the afternoon. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's not fun anyway.
Speaker 1: Jennifer writes in Oh, she says, don't say my name, but I didn't say your last name, so that that's the way it is. I'm looking for an alternative to drinking alcohol every night because I'm gaining too much weight from these calories. I like the feeling of a few drinks every night, and it also helps me fall right to sleep. Do you have any recommended gummies like THC or CBD versus Delta eight. I've never been into a weed store, and I have no idea what to even ask for, and I feel so dumb. Lol, Thanks Jenny. Any advice.
Speaker 4: So gummy is so she wants edibles or she wants something that maybe has TC or just CBD. I'm a little confused by this.
Speaker 1: Sounds like she wants a gummy, she just wants a recommendation.
Speaker 4: I think CBD gummies might be helpful. I used to take the ones that put you to sleep. I'll be honest. I would not fuck with Delta eight. I think some people like it. It's like an edible. It has strains of THHC in it. I took one accidentally once and it was an awful experience for me. I don't know what's legal in Minnesotia if edibles are being sold, or if they're only being sold at like very low percentages of THHC, so I can't really give you a recommendation. But really, like Dave, you used to work with a CBD company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing but HEMP.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you could get some like kind of CBD gummies from.
Speaker 1: There, you totally can. My advice is, just like Genny, everybody's gonna be a little bit different. I don't react well to anything. I don't. I don't do like you know, like the hard Delta eight whatever, That's not my thing. But if you go into anything but HEMP or your local nothing, nothing but Him, but I say anything but him, nothing but right, nothing but Him. If you go in, they'll have some recommendations for you, everything from beverages to edible to gummies. I would vape pens all of that.
Speaker 5: I would recommend if you get THHC and CBD like mixed together, a gummy that has both, or a drink that has both, do five milligrams of THC and ten milligrams of CBD. Because I've done just the regular THC and I'm always like, what is time?
Speaker 3: I don't know what time is? And I feel weird.
Speaker 5: But when it's combined with CBD, it's like less because it kind of like chills you out. So the weird like high feeling isn't as prominent.
Speaker 3: That's my wreck.
Speaker 4: Would like to say that, like there are probably other options out there besides alcohol and CBD slash THHD, because like, I'm sure there's other things you could do to try to get your mind off of stuff. But I understand you're trying to get away from alcohol, so you're trying to like maybe not go full sober from anything out there. But I'm like, you know, maybe maybe read a book, you know, like I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to say imagine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, if you don't want to do alcohol, do this instead, Like there are other options, so.
Speaker 5: With at least with like the TC like drinks, at least you can have one and feel something versus needing to like have like three beers or four beers to feel something, right, So I totally get like where you're coming from.
Speaker 1: All right, last email, don't use my name. Thanks for putting that up front, because I really try to make sure we do that. Love your show and I am so happy to contribute if you choose to read this. On the Minnesota Goodbye today, On the show Jenny on one two, which was yesterday Wednesday, made a comment about people saying racist things. You were saying something like I don't care what generation you're from. Yes, you need to mature and not still say racist things.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't remember the topic of the time, but when Jenny made the comment, I was like, yep, I hear that. Here's my input. I'm on a condo board and a board member from a neighboring community texted me about the process of management companies at condos and townhomes providing governing documents to owners and potential buyers. Below is what she said. That homeowner keeps asking for documents. I don't trust his purpose. We are about to finalize new documents limiting the number of rentals, and that homeowner says he owns two. Now, if true, he has access to our managing company and website where he can read them himself. That homeowner owns an inner city organization for minority kids and families. I don't want any more of either. Here. Am I the only white person on the board?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Wow? Kind of shocking?
Speaker 4: Wow? Yeah jeez.
Speaker 1: When she sent me this text, I was so shocked. She barely knows me, and clearly she has no idea my kids are black. The fact that she actually put it in writing smacking my head. I guess it's better to know that she has views like this, but how sad. At the same time, I am often in settings where people say racism no longer exists. Well, here's a little reminder that it does in my own backyard. Thanks in advance. If you read this anonymous, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Gosh, I'm sorry, then you have someone that you have to deal with.
Speaker 3: It's like that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna guess that it's probably like an older Karen. That's kind of what I'm picturing. But thanks for sending that in. And then the same person wrote as this where I can send an idea for the Minnesota Goodbybe, but she must have figured it out because she did, and I think that is it that is going to do it. We get some other longer ones that we will try to do tomorrow on the Minnesota Goodbbe. We'd love to hear about you and whether Rice belongs in a Taco or not. Please send that in or out of the thoughts on whatever you want to talk about Ryan's show at kadiwb dot com.