Speaker 1: From morecast connect in aj Benze fame. Uh, he'd liked to be walked on a leash and play really dirty, katy sex games. He's uh the guy put the cock in the peacock network. Okay, bitch, Hey, everybody aj Benzi here with fame? Is it? Bitch? This is your daily Unfiltered podcast for August sixth, twenty twenty six eight six two o two six. I like it all even numbers. That's good news because I have my dear, dear friend Alison Martino on the show today to talk to you guys and remind me about some of the crazy shit that went on for those years we made mysteries and scandals. Allison was by far my favorite producer, my favorite everything at Ase. She was just something. I just always loved Allison, and I couldn't believe I was meeting the daughter of this famous singer, al Martino who played Johnny Fontaine and the Godfather. It was just too much for me. He was systems overload. But she became a very integral part of that show's success. Her episodes were fantastic and Alison, before I looked to say Hi, tell me, did you are you going to talk to Michael Danny or supervising producer, and get all the tapes that he has so you can upload them.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, we're gonna be We're gonna have a full library. A good tip again, yes.
Speaker 1: Because well I'll get to I'll get to what you did in a minute. But to begin this show, here's what Here's how I began in Mysteries and Scandals. I was at the Daily News, obviously gossip Calumnust, nearing the end of my reign. I kind of was getting sick of it. The girl I was dating knew everybody that I was writing about. It was causing a problem. And you know me five years in amount, I was there about five six, six and a half years, and I felt dirty. And at one point one day her and I, my ex girlfriend, had a drink. She wanted to take me to Hawaii for a modeling shoot. I was in a good mood and suddenly a cab driver didn't pick us up. A fistfight ensued, where I beat the shit out of the guy and went to jail, and Michael Danny called me, my producer who had already said I'm pitching this show for you to host about dead celebrities. I said, okay, and he goes a J I just heard the news you were arrested. I said, yeah, why, I said, I beat a CABBYA. Oh this is this is not going to be good for your job. I said, Michael, it's New York. We all beat Cabby's. What are you worried about? And then sure enough they had a big meeting at E but they said let's bring him in Michael's I flew out. They didn't fly me. I flowed on my own dime to make a thirty second sizzle reel for Jane Mansfield. We me and Michael went on the boulevard. He had some dry ice put at my feet. We stood at a star and I did like maybe two minutes of a statement about Jane Mansfield and that was it. And he took it to them and he sold it to them. Initially they didn't want me to host it. Then they all said, that's not a bad idea fish out of water, Let's give me a shot. I get to LA with a thirteen week commitment on the thirteenth floor with thirteen employees. Didn't think highly of us, but yet we started to make the.
Speaker 3: Show a hit. So Allie, when did you come on exactly.
Speaker 4: I came on, okay, so you came up to the thirteenth floor.
Speaker 2: What a floor to be working.
Speaker 4: On, right, So we were like the step children of E because I didn't really have much supervision. We really didn't, but we knew like that this was a crew of really smart young people who really loved TV. This is when he was huge. You know, you were on the Gossip Show, so I knew you from there, and talk Soup was was huge.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm working.
Speaker 4: In a building where Joan Rivers is in the is in you know, the elevator with me every time.
Speaker 2: It was such a fun It was such a fun place too.
Speaker 4: I started their answering phones and I was like, you know, stamped Joan Rivers a parking ticket for her. And it's funny because like she used to open for my dad back in the day and undis in Vegas and I told her it was I just remember her saying a funny line to me. She's like, and now you're working the front desk at this place. What did what did? What kind of kid were you that you got punished like this? I mean we would have this bantern. I just remember this one guy I got to know everyone because I was working the front.
Speaker 2: Desk, right, so you was downstairs. I was downstairs in the hub.
Speaker 4: So but the tours would open, Howard Starn whoever like was in town.
Speaker 2: I would see everyone.
Speaker 4: I greet everybody. It was the best job to have. And I guess no masters and that was the president of E then the good president, the one we all loved, and but you. Someone came up to me and said that Mysteries and Scandals was going to be a show. And I was like, well, what's that? Because I wanted I was, you know, waiting to get out of the front desk. And Michael Danahy, who was the creator of the show like you just talked about, came up to me and said, this is the funniest story. He goes, I hear that you want to work on this show. What experience do you have as a producer?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: And I go, I have something that you don't have, and he goes, okay, come up and see me.
Speaker 2: I said, okay. I took my dad's phone book and I said, see this, this is every.
Speaker 4: Frickin' number you need for this show. Don't ever ever tell me that one of your bookers is going to book our show because you want Steve Allen hold on, here's.
Speaker 2: This number, you want, Johnny Tart, you want you know, I.
Speaker 1: Had had everyone and I f Bailey talking about I mean, I mean it was like we had These weren't just experts, these were the people either on the cases.
Speaker 4: I mean, hello, we interviewed the corner of Thomas Nbucci, you know, for Sharon Tate.
Speaker 2: He was the corner for Sharon Tate and Natalie.
Speaker 4: Wood and no, we we anyway.
Speaker 2: So that's how I got the job.
Speaker 4: I throw it by showing up with my dad's my dad's don't want to say NEPO baby. No, it was the phone book that did it.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: But we also worked our butts off on that show.
Speaker 4: And this is again before I knew, before I met you. You know, we had a research department that had to go to actual library to do research on all these old Hollywood show stars. They were you know a lot of these people that came on our show. We're still alive.
Speaker 2: They're not. They're pretty much all gone now, I know, I know. You know, so when you got it, what was your first show? My first show was Marilyn. What a show to start with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was probably that was like the first ten episodes.
Speaker 2: I believe at that was show six.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think like a lot of Turner was your pilot.
Speaker 3: That was first, right, right, but they shot that.
Speaker 2: Here's another thing. We shot a.
Speaker 4: Lot of the reenactments at my parents' house. Oh yeah, anytime you needed a swimming.
Speaker 2: Pool, yeah, that they would. They would come to the house, like change whale.
Speaker 3: A lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Chaine Mansfield shoot was at our house.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, we had a very short but we had a very small budget show.
Speaker 1: I know, I have what was the budget? I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Oh sixteen thousand dollars? Oh god, okay, and you think, oh no, it's nothing. There was some internal like here's the thing.
Speaker 4: Everybody who worked on that show offered something like, you need an old nineteen fifty seven car, we'll find one, one of my friends will find it.
Speaker 2: You need a swimming pool, go to Allison's house. You need an old Hollywood apartment. We would go to this guy Roy's house. Like we were.
Speaker 4: We didn't have the kind of budget to get uh you know, when we would do the mysteries and scandals, host wraps with you. Yeah, most of them were shot on Hollywood Boulevard. And as you know, we were Johnny Graham, who used to be the like the honorary mayor of Hollywood, had a lot of pool and he used to like wave our very expensive permits as he thought in the nineties.
Speaker 2: This is the nineties, guys, right, Hollywood was dead.
Speaker 3: I mean it, it was awful.
Speaker 1: There was no Jimmy Kimmel Theater, there was no Hollywood and Highlands. It was just a dark, desolate I remember that hit got murdered during one of our episodes. They found her in a in a dumpster by pet boys. Yeah are you there for Yeah? And then I heard about it. She took pictures of me on the on the on the street. They found their camera. They came and questioned us. But we never filmed the guys. We just filmed their feet and their knees. The George didn't put the camera on them or us, but I think they caught them eventually. But yeah, it was a horrible place and crackheads having sex on park benches, helicopters, ghetto birds all the time, street washing, remember remember at.
Speaker 4: All because it was it was sort of it was like, I wasn't scared. I was only you know, I was a young twenty year old. I can do anything.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'd be scared now if I was that age.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But we were like going out.
Speaker 4: We would we would wrap it sometimes four in the morning, I know, because we would start sometimes late if if the sun wasn't down until eight o'clock, we couldn't start until nine. So we would have jib cameras, smoke machines, blue lights, tracks, you know, up and down Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Boulevard and by the way, by the way, proprietors and people lived on the boulevard on the second and third floor didn't like the noise, the smoke, the cameras, and they were a couple of times they poured hot water on us.
Speaker 3: They threw pots of hotone.
Speaker 2: Someone someone camed a gun at you.
Speaker 3: If you remember, I was there for some reason.
Speaker 4: Kept he kept calling you, hey, New York. You could say, hey, New York, move you move.
Speaker 2: Your fucking tracks out of here, you know, and you're like, I'm shooting a.
Speaker 1: Show, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no.
Speaker 4: We were in front of a club once called the Sugar Shack, in front of a sugar Shock, and they were they were saying that we were blocking the doorway from people going in. But what they didn't understand is we were attracting people.
Speaker 2: To watch our show and then to go for drink.
Speaker 4: So in a way, Johnny Grant was saying to me, our show out tourism in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Sure there would be many times.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe we were on like our hundredth episode and cars now are driving by and honking, going, yeah, my stretes and scandals that I know every weekend.
Speaker 3: Girls to flash me.
Speaker 1: Girls would flash me with their tits out sometimes driving by. Remember when Titanic, when Titanic was that man's theater, we started to get a crowd. Back then, it was. It was a complete opposite of how we began. And I remember I didn't want to work at four o'clock in the morning, and I remember, I'm gonna take all the equipment down, get in the truck. We're going to a second location. I went, no, here's what you do. Turn the fucking camera to the right ten feet, there's another palm tree, another building. Why are we leaving? Just fucking shoot here? And they started to listen to me.
Speaker 2: But I remember that I.
Speaker 4: Was with you on that because they they didn't want to show the scientology buildings.
Speaker 3: Either, or yeah, those crazy just push.
Speaker 2: The camera a little bit this way. But yeah, they didn't chat.
Speaker 4: They don't like the movie titles I guess, you know, showing on our shows because of the then they would look like a rerun.
Speaker 2: At this point, who cares.
Speaker 1: Well rerun the shows then, pricks.
Speaker 4: Well's another problem we have is we need those shows back on the internet.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: Fortunately a few years ago, whenever they decide, when the Oxygen Channel decided to rebrand Mysteries and Scandals sold Little Brian, which was ridiculous show, not the right host.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, and.
Speaker 4: You can't redo that show, not without aj not without this team.
Speaker 2: They pulled down the original shows.
Speaker 4: I had uploaded every single Mysteries and Scandals took me a year to.
Speaker 2: Do uploaded it.
Speaker 4: I don't monetize it. I'm not making money on it. It was just a way for people to watch them. They're educational and NBC got a hold of it. My channel because of Betsy Rott and she they sabotaged my channel and took everything down.
Speaker 1: But you're Alison listen, Alice has got one of the greatest pages on Facebook called Vintage Los Angeles, which she's basically the curator of Old LA, Old Beverly Hills, old Everything, buildings, architecture, roads, people, restaurants. Her page is fantastic. Get on on Facebook Vintage Los Angeles. But you know you, I mean that alone, that that show had to make you begin I know. I remember you would have pictures and all these headshots of old stars, and I'd see them up in your cubicle. And then when I went to your place when you live with Mom and Dad of the guest that beautiful guest house by the pool had so many old Hollywood things on it.
Speaker 3: I couldn't I was in my glory, but I remember you would.
Speaker 1: You were like taking stuff from me, like because you loved old movie stars, and so do I.
Speaker 4: I was kind of perfect for that show because the other show that was on at the time was True Hollywood Stories h and we were like the sister of that show. But I preferred our show because I loved old Hollywood. And we started with you know, the greatest names in the old old Hollywood, and then we kind of went into the seventies when we got to do sal MINEO and Paul Lynne, and you know, I never thought the show should end. I think it could have gone another four years.
Speaker 2: It ended.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you. I'll tell you why it ended ended because when they gave me my talk show, which we'd worked on for three years. I was in New York when I did the first pilot and I went to La john Riber was good to me. He worked with me for three years. I said, I want to do a talk show and I got one. Mindy Herman, the fucking who came in to be the boss, hated talk show. She worked on Magic Johnson's show, so she didn't like talk shows. She came in like, oh, I love the idea, and she cut the budget in half. And I had people telling me, your budgets in half, but show it are at one o'clock in the morning, twelve thirty in the morning.
Speaker 3: It was like you couldn't find it anyhow.
Speaker 1: Once they canceled my show, I had a meeting with all my people at Mysteries and Scandals, and I told all of you, you're all going to take the bullet because they canceled my talk show and next they're going to cancel you were like, no, not, I go you're I said, only Bessie's gonna stay because she's the girl dating. All of you are going to get fired because they rattled the tiger cage. And I'm fucking pissed off. And sure enough, tell what happened, a fake fire drill, let them know what.
Speaker 2: First of all, I was with you in New York when you got the call that the talk show got canceled.
Speaker 1: Right, we were together at the hotel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ribby of hearing every conversation you had with John and everyone else.
Speaker 2: So that was a low blow because we were shoot. We were supposed to shoot that night. I know, wet your whole family in town.
Speaker 1: We were headed there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at this point, the shows were already paid for, the catering was done.
Speaker 4: You know, just go ahead and let us film the shows at least here the last two.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So that was very dirty, and you handled it really well, I thought, But you know.
Speaker 1: You know, you tell you know you're telling me, which is true. I didn't realize this when I made those phone calls. It was you and I together in the hotel, and I said, get your camera, get your film, get your video camera. I want you to record all this ship And I went off on everybody. I called my family, and you recorded all of it. We don't know who's got the tape now. We both watched it together, but either I have it and I can't, and I know.
Speaker 2: You'll find it. That's why I don't like never letting people.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you.
Speaker 3: All Right, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: You were doing reality We were doing reality TV before reality TV. I think we were replaced with the Naicole Smith Show. I think that's what replaced. But I'll tell you two things.
Speaker 2: It was. Remember the show Cribs on TV.
Speaker 4: Where was a guy who was working on Cribs and he went to go do a segment on the Osports And he came back to the h one and said, I just didn't just film the Greatest Family for reality TV.
Speaker 2: They need their own show. Okay, So this poor guy talked.
Speaker 4: About getting burned. They didn't even hire him to produce it. He just gave them the They hired a new team. That show was the biggest show for you know, VH one. Now every reality every TV station wants their own reality show. I had a feeling that when we got let go, it wasn't just about letting you go.
Speaker 2: I think that they wanted to change into go into reality TV.
Speaker 4: Interesting, so like some of those like you know, MSNBC had like headliners and legends, v Chworm had the one with the music stars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, behind the music. They all got scrapped were reality TV.
Speaker 1: You're right, because they ran from Anama Cole Smith to the Kardashians and that was their big big we were.
Speaker 2: When we were on, we were more about like biography television, you know that that kind of thing changed. So but here's the thing.
Speaker 4: When MTV had their shake up back from two that when when did this happened? Two thousand and one before.
Speaker 2: Nine to eleven, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 4: They had they had a shake up at MTV. They were a bunch of people were let go, like six hundred people. They were given a party, they were given beautiful way to say goodbye to everybody. They had two weeks to get terminated and they knew it.
Speaker 2: Well, this is.
Speaker 4: What happened to So I'm driving to on a Thursday morning at eight am, and I'm coming through the doors and you know, you have to have a key card to get through the door going to my office and had the office at the time, and about one o'clock.
Speaker 2: In the afternoon. Somebody came up to my office and said, did you hear Howard's Stern? Sorry, my cat just right right, I really need We're gonna repeat this. Okay.
Speaker 4: Someone comes into my office and says, were you listening to Howard Stern this morning? A lot of us did because he was on our channel, so we just used to listen to them.
Speaker 2: In the morning and get our news. Okay, what no, what did he say?
Speaker 4: He said, Wow, So apparently there's gonna be a big shake up at E tomorrow.
Speaker 2: This he knew ahead of time. Oh wow, he let the cat out of the back.
Speaker 4: He told you know on his show that there was going to be a shake up at E and then a lot of people were gonna get fired, and a lot of shows were going to come off the air.
Speaker 2: Now I'm sitting here with Michael Danahy, the creator of The Pews and Scandals, and we're like, well, it won't be us. It won't be yeah.
Speaker 4: Of course, we're in the middle of doing a five episodes, right, We're like the one of the highest rated shows on the network. It won't be us. Well, about two o'clock, the fire drill starts. Going off very rarely that happens. Every single person went down to the courtyard and we waited.
Speaker 2: I didn't see.
Speaker 4: Any fire trucks come or anything like that, but we were down there a long time, and then we were able to go back up. Okay, Danny Schwartz, myself, Michael Danahey, those are producers of the show. Our key cards are not working now to go back up.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: What happened was Mindy Herman and her people. You know, this is kind of a known fact. You know, somebody staged a fake fire drill to go around our desks and take whatever we were working on, shut our computers down, and shut our phones down, and kicked us out of the building.
Speaker 2: And that's how we found out.
Speaker 4: Well, it was traumatizing because now not only are we being fired like this without even being able to say goodbye, we're being forced out by security.
Speaker 2: We can't even take our belongings with us.
Speaker 4: So if I had those celebrity pictures you say on my on my wall.
Speaker 2: I couldn't take them. I couldn't take them because I were saying they were property.
Speaker 4: Of the I couldn't take my lamp that I had a really cool little vintage lamp. Whatever story being is, what about all the contacts that we had built over the years that.
Speaker 2: Are in our computers. Find another job.
Speaker 4: I have that email address for what seven years at ET like that, So that was a that was not a way to that was that was punishment for a job that we gave a beautiful show for five years.
Speaker 2: And I just always resented that.
Speaker 4: And you know, the word got around from all the different like CBS. I remember they got an email from someone saying, wow, did you do what happened? In the employees of EA?
Speaker 2: Like? It got around and then.
Speaker 4: There was a story that came out in the La Times about it. So I'm not saying anything that nobody knows, right, Okay, Well, there wasn't ex about Mindy her men at the time because she had taken I think some money from some.
Speaker 2: Of the budgets, oh wow, or to bait to to pay for her her house.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she got a twenty million dollar parachute when she left, by the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and she got twenty million dollars when she left. Let's just say she was the absolute wrong person.
Speaker 1: You know, real quick, what's that thing called at the hotel in Pasadena?
Speaker 3: Like the upfront was it upfronts or something?
Speaker 1: But I was there with Mindy to do to announce the no season of the show or maybe my talk show. I forget, but she comes in. You know, she's typical with the fucking suit with sneakers, and she smelling a cigarette and a.
Speaker 3: Beautiful hotel and then she's dumble a cigarette.
Speaker 1: She throws it in the floyer of this beautiful marble floor hallways on it and he was talking like she's in the street. That's what I said, this is this is a fucking pig.
Speaker 4: It was really hard because we had Lee Masters was such a great president and he I think he even help the MTV.
Speaker 2: That's when our channel was in really great shape, by the way.
Speaker 3: And Frana was great.
Speaker 2: I like France, Yeah, fran Shay, Marta, Tracy. They really loved our show. They nurtured, loved you.
Speaker 4: Our show was such a like this sort of I guess unexpected hit because when we got spoofed on Saturday Night Live, I think that's when we knew we had something big.
Speaker 1: They had me on with the.
Speaker 2: Machine. I mean, that's like that's what I like. We hit pop culture status, like right.
Speaker 1: Like they hits the thing. They put me on Sopranos, they put me on Family Guy, they put me on SNL. That's the pinnacle, Like, that's the zepegeist of American television culture. If you if you make it on that even for a minute or two, they're acknowledging you're part of the whole system of TV that people watch and we like. Matter of fact, when I used to go to Igo and my listeners know what I go is They've heard a million times. Milton Burrow was there one night, and I've heard from movie stars. And Sharon Stone watched the show. She loved the show on a treadmill. But Milton Burrell grabbed me one night and he said, your show is my favorite show on television. And when mister television tells you that, you go wow. He goes, you know, I like it. I see all my best friends again. That's fucking hotbreak And and Elizabeth Taylor told somebody whom Michael Danny he was close to the same sort of thing. It's my favorite show because I see all my old friends and lovers and it brings me back. And I'm very much the sentimental guy obviously, so I that means the world to me. That people the big I mean, how about how about how about Jack Lemon pitching a show for us?
Speaker 3: I don't know that Hollywood.
Speaker 2: The Hollywood Ten, I believe was the.
Speaker 4: You know with the oh, the yeah, the ten that was kind of an off beat show we did.
Speaker 2: I believe. He called Michael Banahey and said, I have a great show idea for you.
Speaker 3: You should that's the communism show the House on.
Speaker 4: And Jack is in that show. I mean, Jesus, we interviewed Jack Lemon.
Speaker 2: Oscar.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Michael was like, I think that's his favorite actor of all time.
Speaker 3: Michael was, you know, Michael would do to me though.
Speaker 1: You know, Michael would do to me every because we shared an office and I'd come in every couple of days, you know, and ship open mail and do ship like that. Get my paycheck. Michael would always open my paycheck monu and I saw that there my salary was ship. It was not even a third of what I was getting at the news. But I said, new life, new start. And I lived in a little you know, Malon Moro's old apartment on Hampton full of Hampton Street in Hollywood. I think, uh no, it's not even It was seventh Hampton. It's off. It's not right by Jones, it's down the street from Jones.
Speaker 2: We were there, okay, yeah, that was.
Speaker 1: My first place, Malon Moro's compartment number nine, Charlie Chaplin, the whole building. So Michael would open my paycheck and look what I was making toward the end of the show was considerably more. He would go, I can't believe you're making this money. I go, well, I'd do a good fucking job the show. We just got the biggest ratings of any show on ey Al Falfel was over a million. No one else did that, I know, but ah, hope he's saving it, said, I ain't saving shit.
Speaker 3: I'm having a ball Michael. He couldn't take it.
Speaker 1: And then he goes to me, you know, he pulls out this headshot from his shrawer, this good looking guy, remember I think his name was Nick Denton or something like that, and he goes, you know, if you fuck up, because I was getting rowdy on the set and breaking phones, you can tell him those stories. He would show me the headshot this guy that almost got the job. I'm like, fuck, this guy's not getting my job. Michael.
Speaker 3: He just was busting my bulls. But tell him I love look continue.
Speaker 1: You were saying, but I love the fact that when you saw me on set some of the crazy things that happened that I forget and thankfully you remember.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, so like, okay, one more thing. I also want to tell you.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you know this, but when we were doing Mysteries and Scandals, there was a series on ABC. I think it was the Life of the Cassidy Brothers. So it was a movie of the Week, remember.
Speaker 2: Those, So they were making a movie of the Week.
Speaker 4: And we had just done the Jack Cassidy Mysteries and Scandals, which was one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I got all.
Speaker 4: I like, pick up the phone at my desk and it's Malcolm mcdell. Oh, he says, hello, it's Mike, It's Salas and Martinez, the producer of the Jack Cassidy Show, said yes.
Speaker 2: Wait, welcome it down. I'm like, oh, hi, he does.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be I'm going to be playing Jack Cassidy in the new He couldn't find anything about Jack Cassidy to do his research except our show. Nothing written about Jack. There was no biography about Jack, so he says, may I come by and pick up a copy of that show. So I'm by running down the art making a copy, and you know, hoping that.
Speaker 2: She would talk to the lobby, but of course he sent in the system.
Speaker 4: But then I'm watching the show and there were actual direct lines because we used to One of the things about Mysteries and Scandals is if somebody said something I guess now they call it a meme, but if.
Speaker 2: Someone had said, you know, he died in his own blood or something, you know, we would have like reenactment and then.
Speaker 4: You would have the corner saying he died in his own blood and were.
Speaker 2: Out the pie.
Speaker 5: Right, So there were those moments in the in the series that that that you know that Malcolm must have told the director, let's take some direct lines from this Mysteries and Scandal shop.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I know that if there was like a.
Speaker 4: Moment in the Mysteries and where we talked about how Jack passid he thought he was Jesus and would back himself into a corner and pretend.
Speaker 2: He was God, and then they put that scene in the mood in the show.
Speaker 3: Oh he's the one of the one naked.
Speaker 2: Yes, we had like.
Speaker 4: And I love what you've been doing lately by showing all the shows we did as like the little because anyway, we did so many shows, and the more I talk to you about it, you know, memories come back. But the one thing I'll say, we were a good team because first of all, I'm Italian like you, and we don't like we don't like rats, right, we don't like we don't.
Speaker 2: Like tattle tales.
Speaker 4: Like if you and I went out and shot our show, we never had a problem.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was going to rest. I don't know. Maybe you punched a wall too many times. I did because.
Speaker 4: You were you always funny when you when you would memorize most of the time, you memorized your host raps.
Speaker 2: And we did have a monitor, right, I had a.
Speaker 1: I paid for the prompt of the first five episode myself because every time I would get like four sentences into a monologue and the car would honk do it over, and I'm like, I can't fucking keep what is a teleprompter costs?
Speaker 3: Come on?
Speaker 1: After twenty shows, I think we got tony now.
Speaker 4: I'm you know, I'm a host on my own show too now and I don't have a teleprompter.
Speaker 3: So it's not it's not easy without a prom No.
Speaker 2: It's not easy.
Speaker 4: And you know what, you're going to get a better take if you have, of course, then you can back up and do the last three lines rather than the last ten lines, and you're you know. So anyway, one time before Kate So, Danny Schwartz was my producer.
Speaker 2: People, the most talented producer, and I learned very creative.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was created.
Speaker 4: He took our show to another level and I was his a p associate producer. But then I did become producer, thank god. And Michael because he kept the shows I wanted. I wanted Mario Lanza, and I wanted to I wanted to do the Beverly Hill's Babylon. He kept some shows for me because by the time I got to be a producer, we were like a show one hundred, right, But I had been on since show four or eight or something like that.
Speaker 3: So I'd already found you paid your dues.
Speaker 4: I'm a surprised he didn't promote me earlier anyway, probably because he wanted to keep me with Danny, because a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people couldn't work with Danny. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you got into it with Danny, because, oh my god, when you slapped the headset right off of his.
Speaker 1: You know I did that because the night because we we we went late at uh A Jrudy Golland shoot on the boulevard. He must have taken eight k from my feet on her fucking name. And it's four o'clock. I'm like, Danny, we got the shot, and he was rubbing his temple like he always does when he doesn't take his medicine.
Speaker 3: I'm like, Danny, you need your fucking pill.
Speaker 1: We're done.
Speaker 3: So I gave him some ship. I said, I'm done.
Speaker 1: I walked off. The next day he told Michael A J left his set and Michael, what happened last time? I said, well, who the fuck? Who wild open them up? Well, Danny said, Danny said that then I went down the hall and smacked the head set off.
Speaker 4: Yes, I saw you coming down the hallway, and I knew exactly what we knew.
Speaker 2: I couldn't. I couldn't give him a warning. You were you were walking.
Speaker 4: But you know what, in a way, you know that doesn't help a production, you know when you tell it just doesn't. So I think that actually when you did that, Michael promoted me. I think two weeks later, so and then and then I remember you said, uh, because when I did the host traps with.
Speaker 2: You, I used to get us out early. I would get us out one, you know, and sometimes we go have less calls. We don't.
Speaker 1: We can go drink and have a good time.
Speaker 2: No, that's the fun too, right. Of course, we enjoyed what we did.
Speaker 4: We worked hard, and so you know, at the end of the night, we're like, okay, we'll goring into this place for quick drink whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then there was.
Speaker 4: Some squares on the set sign that wouldn't do that, that were you're gonna go drink at two in the morning that we were Listen, we were producing mysteries and scandals we're having because remember when you would bring the big Lebowski, you guys would have the white Russian.
Speaker 3: We bought right Russians. We drank white Russians on the set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, believable fun, you know.
Speaker 4: But our shows were flawless and you were remolished. Sorry, nobody delivered the host traps like you.
Speaker 3: Nobody Because I'm love you for saying that, but you know it's I had the easiest job. I have to sell the show.
Speaker 1: You guys have to put it together, and you know some of the things I did, But you're not hard. But if you're not, if if you're scared of the camera, then you can't do it. But I'm not scared of the camera. So I would memorize the first ten or twelve words of a read, and when and I heard action, I would just look at the floor, look at the building, but I would say the words because they're in my head. Then I'd look at the prompter to finish up, and Tony knew how to turn it just right.
Speaker 3: So I'd be there so it looked like is he memorizing? He's's talking.
Speaker 1: And then Tony, after a while, when we started to get really good at it, and George and Harold and the camera guys, I used to bring Scotch to them Crown Royal and I'd be like, yeah, it's in my connerback seat and George was like, oh shit, you in the back of the bus now, my nigga. I said, yeah, get you, get you get some drinks. Day was so cool and loosened up. But Tony would start to write. He would start to at the end of the prompt and one of my reads, he'd write instead of on aj Benzy, he'd write, I'm daffy duck drum me the next time. And I would just say it because I'm so tuned into.
Speaker 3: I'm like, fuck, what happened?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Nothing to do it again? And Tony be laughing.
Speaker 1: We had a great time and cemeteries at night all the all the black guys could not take cemeteries. When the lights went out, the generator fell out, and you turn around, every black guys run out of the cemetery.
Speaker 3: Just white guys are left going, what's up?
Speaker 1: Were are they?
Speaker 3: They were petrified? You know, it was such a great time.
Speaker 4: That's another thing too, like you're just hit on so many faces. But no, I mean, no, no, no, Now I'm going to go back to the cemeteries because that was another thing. You can't get a permit today and shooting a cemetery with a smoke machine.
Speaker 2: And talking about the dead like this. Right, So we're gone, I know because.
Speaker 4: Now, I mean I even think Westwood Memorial you have to have somebody bury there to go visit.
Speaker 2: I mean, they have strict rules now the cemeteries.
Speaker 4: You know, people are influencers today, are bringing in their cell phone cameras and trying to do what we did. And you know, you know why it can't be redone. I mean, so many people want to redo mysteries and scandals. Okay, fine, you can do scandals from the last fifteen years, but you can't do them the way we did them because we were hearing the stories from the horses mouth. Those people have passed away. So you're not going to get a Dennis Hopper today. You're not going to get a Jack Lennon, and you're not going to get the you know, it's amazing that the corner is still alive. That you know, we knew like Thomas Nogucci like seven times, he loved scandal.
Speaker 2: He loved talking about scandals. But we were the first of our kind.
Speaker 4: I think before us was a show called Hollywood Babylon with Tony Curtis, and.
Speaker 3: He was one forgot that I forgot that.
Speaker 2: Was a great show and we were kind of similar to that show.
Speaker 1: Wait, maybe that's why Tony Curtis, you know, because I meet him at the Mansion and one of my greatest nights at the Mansion was not what a pretty girl. It was hearing I'm talking to some girls and all of a sudden, they hit behind me, Hello ladies, and I'm like, I saw, I got chills just now. I'm like, that's fucking Tony Curtis. And I turned around. There he is with the two page the robe.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he watched your show because he was, you know, as ours. It was like a Channel nine or something, and I remember that five maybe three years.
Speaker 1: But he was a he was a fan, I guess of the show.
Speaker 4: But many fans, like you know, it came to a point where if I called someone and asked him to do the show, they'd say, it's.
Speaker 2: My favorite show.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean it was part of a book because our title was Mysteries and Scandals. So that's like very TMZ. I guess in today's world, like, oh, you're gonna you want me to be on a show that's all scandalous. I'm like, we're telling the story that has been published one hundred times about Marilyn Monroe, but we're gonna spin it a little bit, so duty would be like.
Speaker 2: I think the housekeeper did it right. So how do we.
Speaker 4: Make our ours? How do we make our Marilyn and Roe show different? And the other story you've heard before gets so involved with these people you're interviewing.
Speaker 2: You know, that wasn't so like I remember I interviewed. Got it from one of my dad's books.
Speaker 4: Okay, was the wife of Maryland's doctor, and she what a great interview she was, Narene Siegel was her name.
Speaker 2: I even remember their her name. She had me come to the house and she says, well, I'm going to tell you something.
Speaker 4: I will tell you right now that my my my husband prescribed Marylyn her pills that night. And why were the bottle caps still on the pills, which I never thought that before.
Speaker 2: And so when you see the photos of the pills, what did they put the bottle but the caps back on? Put them like that, you know?
Speaker 4: You know. Anyway, she said something about the housekeeper knew what was going on.
Speaker 2: She was doing laundry at three in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's off, that's right, that's a off. That's very off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and named her daughter Marylyn and moved to like Europe, to be never heard from again. These are the things we learned as we were interviewing, Like today, where are people going to get these stories?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Do you? You can't just call Marilyn Rose doctors, you know, So these are the people that died with the stories. And I feel like that's why our show needs to be back on the air for educational reasons, because we weren't gossiped. We were getting the stories directly from the people we were interviewing.
Speaker 2: It just happens scandals.
Speaker 1: And the thing about the thing about scandals is, you know, like I do this thing like you mentioned on Instagra, why I put up some old movie stars or even new movie stars who were dead or killed, murdered, eyed, odes and I mentioned really quickly and in the paragraph what happened to them? And a lot of times we had episodes where it could like George Reeves did he do did he shoot himself? Did Leonora Lemon shoot him?
Speaker 3: Was he shot?
Speaker 1: Because she and there's so many different angles you have to well pick one, not.
Speaker 4: This is this is one that needs to come. We need to discuss this one. Okay, Salon Salmonia.
Speaker 2: Oh that's this is major.
Speaker 4: Okay, So this is like the one I really would People asked me, what was your show like, Well, give you an example. Our boss, Michael Danahy still call him boss man him. He was obsessed with Salomoni, obsessed withal and he said, I'm going to produce that one. Even though there were teams of four eight of us. Michael wanted to keep Salmonio and he let me produce.
Speaker 2: It with him, which was so nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's been writing The Alleged Killer in Prison. Oh really, this was around nineteen ninety seven. He ate, and he tells Michael that he's getting out of prison soon. He served thirty twenty and seventies eighties thirty years right, okay, wow.
Speaker 2: So Michael says, what's the date that you're getting out jail?
Speaker 4: I think this is right, and if I'm wrong, you can have Michael on next But this is what I remember.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: He says, I get out on this date. And Michael says, you want to clear your name? Comes straight to our office.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: So he came to our office and we interviewed him.
Speaker 2: Now we're interviewing.
Speaker 4: Now, we're interviewing people who did time for killing someone.
Speaker 2: Or maybe they didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't he didn't do it.
Speaker 4: No, he didn't do it, but we know that. But the thing is, when he comes to your office and he tells you he didn't do it, you better do him right, don't do him dirty. Right, So don't say at the end of the show, well we think he still did it.
Speaker 2: You know, we're like no. So we're watching this pallbear footage I know, you know, of sal going in to the wherever he's going into. Yeah, so he's going in there holding him.
Speaker 4: Now, we had a copy of the illustration that you know bystanders had seen a guy leave the scene after he was Salmonio was stabbed right across the street from Wrenliffe.
Speaker 2: And like you said, a crime of passion white.
Speaker 1: The sketch was a white guy.
Speaker 2: The sketch was a white guy, looked like all his blonder, reddish hair. Yes, a sketch. Now the rest a black guy. Yeah, we're across town. I sixteen minutes after the murder. He couldn't even have gotten there in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Now, he had told people in prison he had did it, because when you're in prison, I guess you'd tell tales, right, you got to win the guys over at breakfast.
Speaker 2: I don't know exactly.
Speaker 4: So he said he had done it, but he didn't. He didn't do it, And he wrote a book which we should read. I just found out he wrote a book and it's tod I didn't do it or something like this. But we are now interviewing people like this, and that's what that's that's date line.
Speaker 2: That's like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Beyond just a little show about Hollywood. You know, Susan Cabot when Susan remember Susan Cabot, the b actress. Yes, son murdered her and we interviewed him.
Speaker 2: Wow like that. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I would go into the vo booth to do uh like maybe like fifteen or twenty uh you know, uh whatever, like John Waymon he was a dashing cowboy, and I would do like twenty of these in a row, three or four takes, and I got to a point where I'm like, who the fuck is this? I did a show on this person. Who's Susan Cabot, who's all on the go A J I go. I don't evenmer whose bit. I forgot so many names because there was so many, and some of them were not like the stars you hear about in your life. They're not to carry grants and eerro Flynn's they're like B level. But there's stories like Albert Decker story in the shower with the ballgag and the needles in I mean a suicide.
Speaker 3: His hands are tied behind his back.
Speaker 1: It's so many, so much bullshit went on, and back then people have to understand. When there was a crime, the cops weren't called. The studios were called. Studio systems came. The head of the studio, got their people there, their lawyer, Jerry. What's that guy's name. Jerry was a Geisler. We used him a lot. He was always Jerry.
Speaker 2: It was also remember James Bacon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, James Bacon wanted my job, so.
Speaker 2: J okay, that's right, So James Bacon.
Speaker 4: This I mean again, this is why this show cannot be redone with subjects to get the real story, because, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Imagine this.
Speaker 4: On the night that Lana Turner had her daughter take the fall for killing Johnny Staponado R.
Speaker 2: What did she call first? She called James Bacon. What do I do?
Speaker 1: Oh? Wow?
Speaker 3: James was a big journalist back in the day.
Speaker 4: Journalist also very very much, very much loved Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, he was huge, but.
Speaker 4: He could help you because if you wanted to plan a story in the paper. She called James Bacon says, I don't know what to do, but Johnny Stambanano is dead in my house. He's got a butcher knife in his chest. What do I do? And he's like, don't call anybody yet, I'll be right over, okay, And he's telling her maybe that's where they came up with, maybe the daughter needs to take the fall exactly.
Speaker 2: This was today. You couldn't do this today. There's cameras.
Speaker 4: With cameras, you know, you can't do anything with even life cell phones. You could never redo Easy Rider today. You can't get lost in America. You know everyone's going to find you. Everyone's got a trace on your phone. They know where you were. So I think you could get away with more, Like let's spin.
Speaker 2: This murder a little more.
Speaker 4: They'll never find out, they'll never know what happened inside, you know.
Speaker 1: But then there's how Minyo thing real quick to get back to that. I remember we saw the footage of the poll bears taking out Minio's body, and we had the sketch and one of the Paul Barros was how Minyo's ex lover, and he looked just like the sketch, and we're all going, that's the killer, that's him. The guy got a knife in the heart that's a passion, a crime and passion.
Speaker 3: It's just a lover. But no, he got away with it.
Speaker 4: Poor guy, the poor guy that took the fall fort and was arrested. Didn't They didn't even take any money from him. No, it wasn't even like they said it was a robbery.
Speaker 2: It wasn't. No, it didn't take anything.
Speaker 1: That's a passion.
Speaker 2: That's the guy's garage behind his.
Speaker 3: House haven Hurst.
Speaker 2: The woman Hellway looking out at the at the area where he was murdered.
Speaker 1: Okay, my uncle, uncle Vinnie's apartment. Uncle Vinnie lived two places down from Drothy Dandridge place. He died though, Uncle Vinnie about a year ago or so.
Speaker 3: But no, I'm sorry. What a great apartment, great apartment that I was.
Speaker 2: At that apartment.
Speaker 4: I know we watched the when Mysteries and Scandals was on the Sopratosy.
Speaker 1: That episode, Yeah, I know. I still see it and people still send it to me. It just you know, I wanted to be on that show. I had meetings, but I always have a mental block with the guy's name.
Speaker 3: Who ran HBO, A real short guy.
Speaker 1: I can't think of his fucking He was the boss, Harvey Weinstein said meet so and so you know, I'll put a good word, And I said, I want to be on Sopranos. And he's like, I know you could do this in your sleep. You could fall out of bed and play one of these guys. But you're too recognizable as Mysteries and Scandal's guy, and they're gonna see you and think of your show instead of our show. So James Gandlofini heard that. I told him the story and he didn't tell me nothing. But suddenly there was a phone call from the producers to Danny. He's saying, they want to put me on Sopranos. Do we have permission? It was five grand for just I'm like, yeah, they have permission. Mike's like, are you sure? I go what's to be short? But of course, and it was. It was just fantastic.
Speaker 4: I cherish that, and that's was still on the air when we were when you.
Speaker 1: Did that, right, Yeah, that's the way Jimmy was. He was very you know how he was with his friend. Yeah, he was a really sweet, sweet guy and a crazy motherfucker as well. Like me, we both have two sides of geminis. But so I know, also you.
Speaker 4: Have on your talk show from the Sopranos, didn't we have someone from.
Speaker 1: No, you know, we had Mike Michael wanted the kid Michael. He was the Metal's boyfriend for a minute, Jason something good looking kid Michael had a crush on him. But the big Oh Finny Pastor did an interstitial sketch with me before the show that I don't have that tape.
Speaker 3: I have it something I love it.
Speaker 2: We've got to go through those boxes of tapes.
Speaker 1: I know Chris Maloney did one for us on one of the shows. He threw him against the fence and arrested me for being a bad talk show host.
Speaker 3: We did funny ship like that on Saturday.
Speaker 4: If you if your talk shows had not been canceled and nine to eleven happens, you would have been so close to where what happened. We would have been the only show im down there.
Speaker 1: No that I often say that we've we've We were in May and in September up and I said, you know, we we would have had to get a new place because no one could go down that area anymore. It was all closed off, and it was yeah, I mean, maybe there's a reason. I don't know, but that place was perfect for a show. No One had a show in a loft in Tribeca with a Chinese guy and a wooden elevator they had to pull up with his arms. And George Hamilton shows up just because he's with Christine Peters. He sits down on the couch. It was just it was the idea of the show was, let's have a great time before we all go out to the nightclubs and get some food and ship like that. And you know, Steven Seagal showed up one night to hang out. It was just a crazy time.
Speaker 2: You had that great interview with Mario, Mario Canton.
Speaker 4: And Canton, Jeffrey Ross or anyone knew who he was and jeff Ross and they were hulinarious and.
Speaker 2: Dan rather this great, great interview.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one time the cast of Rent came on to watch the show, and I love I saw Rent six times and I had I had a well when I was younger, I saw Rent and Daphne ruben Vega. I just had a crush on her character. And I also loved jon Jet. I saw Jone Jett as a nineteen twenty year old kid when she was in the Runaways.
Speaker 3: I love Jone Jet and I.
Speaker 1: Go backstay in my green room and there's Jon Jet with Daphne Rubin Vega, both lesbians. I had no idea. Jone Jett had a bold. He's cut all her hair off and they're all over each other in the green room. People could smoke weed in the green room, they could drink, and we were the first talk show to have alcohol with these tall Brazilian models.
Speaker 4: It was just we were interviewing people on this wildscape.
Speaker 1: The roof very different.
Speaker 2: It was the wrong network.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I give them credit for they okayed everything rock My buddy Roca was in charge of the food and beverage. I was gonna have my Mary review movies because she doesn't know shit about Hollywood. Vinnie was gonna cook meat balls. It was everything that Jimmy Kimmel kind of does. He got his family involved, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I was. I was ahead of that family. It felt like a family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: And then like I just.
Speaker 4: Even like just the seating when people would come and watch was very loose. Yeah, I no tales and appetizers and you know that the New York Skyline and beautiful time of night with you know, that was a whole like that was a whole other.
Speaker 2: What I want.
Speaker 3: But I wanted you. I asked for you to be my producer.
Speaker 1: I wanted to do the talk show with you and Michael because I figured I felt I owed Michael for bringing me on Misteries and Scandal. So it was you and Michael. And then they introduced another producer who's going to work with us, who was nothing like you or I, but you were and me and we're going all around the city at night. I got my own camera. I'm filming shit just for chicks and giggles, and we're going to go to Score. It's a topless club and you and I are ready to go, and he's like, oh, I just framed my ankle walking off the curb. What do you mean I can't go? I can hardly walk. Let me find out. He's like a bonnygain Christian. Can't go their strip clubs. His wife would kill him. This is the guy you give us for the show that's gonna This is like.
Speaker 2: A big red flag.
Speaker 4: Is when the opening graphics were watching a beautiful stiletto heel walk over and he changed it to a sandal.
Speaker 3: Oh don't even tell me that. I had no idea that.
Speaker 4: You didn't know that we thought we fought it. He wanted to change it to a sandal.
Speaker 1: Because heels are not in gone.
Speaker 2: I guess it was for him.
Speaker 4: Now this was the truth, and Michael and I are like, no, no, no, it stays as the stiletto.
Speaker 2: It's called a j after hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the morning at the beach, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Well, things like that were not right.
Speaker 4: But you know that was a that was out of our that was you know, he had very strange rules at times where we.
Speaker 2: Could do this and we couldn't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're like, you were like my Coppo, you were like my you know, you were like, before it.
Speaker 3: Gets to me, Alice has put the fire out.
Speaker 1: I'm very confident this is.
Speaker 4: I remember, Okay, when we did the Judy Garland episode, this was like a thing that happened. We would do reenactments and one of the reenactments was that Judy was going to slice her wrist. This was a potential suicide. This was a very scary thing to put in our segment because are we going too far? So we had an actor with a razor blade pretend in fake blood, okay, and we had like that, you know.
Speaker 2: So we did this reenactment. We threw it in.
Speaker 4: Michael goes, oh god, I don't know, like, how is this? Okay, we'll see what happens. So he approves it and they're like, well, okay, who got mad?
Speaker 2: Guess who got mad? Warner Brothers. Warner Brothers really.
Speaker 4: So we get a call from Warner Brothers and they say, see, we could use trailers for films, Like if we needed the Wizard of Oz, we couldn't show her scenes in there.
Speaker 2: We'd have to pay for them. We had no money, but trailers we could use.
Speaker 4: Trailers were like in the public domain, but Brothers would have to sign off on it. So we had rights and Clarence person that would go, yes, you can use all the trailers.
Speaker 2: Well, once they saw the.
Speaker 4: Judy Garland reenactment of a her slicinger wrist, they called and said, no more Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: You can't have anything from Warner Brothers.
Speaker 4: Ever again, Michael, does are you kidding?
Speaker 2: That's going to be half our shows?
Speaker 4: Most of our Golden age of Hollywood people have We're affiliated.
Speaker 2: With Warner Brothers at one point of course.
Speaker 4: So anyway, that lasted three weeks when they needed to promote a movie, but they needed the news department to promote.
Speaker 2: We were pushing. We pushed it a little bit, like how far can we go with you do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How far you can't say the word suicide?
Speaker 4: One can't say on a lot.
Speaker 2: We can say on alive.
Speaker 4: Right, So we were saying things that we had no problem with. I mean, if the guy was trying to commit suicide, that's what he was trying to do.
Speaker 2: But now we have to say, you'd have to say the un alive.
Speaker 1: I would I would like that.
Speaker 2: There wasn't sound. I would never do that. I could never imagine.
Speaker 4: You're talking about James Whale threw himself into the into the into the end of the pool. You're like the shallow end, you know, and you're like, the way you said that, I'll never forget, like shallow And I'm like, I'm at my house. It's three o'clock in the morning, and we're filming this in my parents' house, and my dad's sleeping upstairs, and he goes, was I dreaming or was a ju the shallow end of our pool?
Speaker 2: Last night at three o'clock?
Speaker 1: I forgot? Well, you know, he had dinner with you guys, and he made a nice post of for us and Gal with some great stories.
Speaker 2: You know, I'll tell you what I want to take one little personal story. It's kind of beautiful.
Speaker 4: So when we were doing the Mario Lanza Show, which is Mario basically kind of gave my dad a start because it was a song that my dad was going to record and Mario was going to record it, but he gave it to dads and that became a number one single.
Speaker 3: For him and the you know.
Speaker 2: Here in my heart?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, right, So my dad is alive and well at the time, we were doing mysteries and scandals, and every now and then I would ask him about the future of where he'd like to be buried.
Speaker 2: I asked my mom that too, you know, where do you want to go? And he said, I don't care. You can dump my body out in the higo. I don't care. You know, he can pare so all right.
Speaker 4: Well, the night that we did their host raps at Holy Cross Cemetery where Bing Crosby is, Rita Hayworth, Sharon Tate, Mario Alanza is there. So Dad has you over and I think the Mario Alanza kids, the kids came and we made a prospussal and then it was around ten thirty at night.
Speaker 2: Our host Rerat started at midnight in the cemetery, right, and my dad says, well, you know what can I come?
Speaker 4: And I said, yeah, so my mom my dad's like driving his black Lincoln town car like mid and middle of the middle of the night at the cemetery with the smoke machine.
Speaker 2: And he says to me that.
Speaker 4: At the end of that at the end of that shoot, I can be I'd like to be buried here.
Speaker 1: Oh great, oh wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: And it's because of mister.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable, I know.
Speaker 4: And we bought three plots me, my mom, and my dad, so I'll be there too. I would scandal sticker on.
Speaker 2: My on my yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I think about the people that used to come and watch our show. What's your name of your friend? The actress Martha, she came to see the show a few times. She was really sweet.
Speaker 2: It is great.
Speaker 1: But tell me about the David, because I forgot David came and watched.
Speaker 4: Well, this is when we're starting to realize our show has caught on and people recognize us on the street, which was kind of a fun treat for us and I think our camera crew as well, because we got a little validation on the street.
Speaker 2: It's like seeing Angeline or something.
Speaker 1: Driving.
Speaker 2: We were being part of the fabric of the city and we were people loved our show and they would always like honk and go, which what are you doing tonight? Which show? You know?
Speaker 4: And so I don't remember what show it was, but David, so you know, there were clubs in Hollywood at that point, come out of a club, uh, I think it was gaslight maybe, and he came out and he was standing watching you do your you know, first post wraps with the smoke machine and listen.
Speaker 2: We had great writers, so listen listening to you give these host wraps. They were very, very entertaining.
Speaker 1: Michael and Laura, Michael Michael.
Speaker 2: They were great. Michael Michael Burne then.
Speaker 1: My first Michael Michael Burne was the.
Speaker 4: Michael selling Mike Byrne wrote he was sort of the because you know, there was it was a little campy, you know, they got a little more serious as we got on, but we were having fun with these shows.
Speaker 1: And because I sat down with them and said, because I liked the script, but I'm like sometimes I'd say things a little different. I talked more and like, yeah, I'm like, you know, I'm a tabloid guy, so I say things tabloidy, like start the show with you know, Blood in the Street nineteen forty, just give me it, like just start stronger. And then they caught on and they were the scripture. I could never complain about the script once.
Speaker 2: No, the scripts were great.
Speaker 4: They were camp be but there they were also respectful, and I was not. We never ever made any of these actors who deceased and maybe died a terrible way, that.
Speaker 2: We ever made fun of them. We did.
Speaker 4: We told their stories with a lot of class, and a lot of the people who gave the interviews were great because they were friends and they weren't going to throw their friends under the bus, right, So we didn't have a lot.
Speaker 2: Of tabloid people.
Speaker 4: We had biographers once in a while, but we had mostly actors. If someone was going to talk about James Dean, we're going to get Dennis Hopper and he's going to tell you about method acting. Okay, so that's the route that we went. We were like, tell us what James Dean was, Like, what kind of an actor was he we don't want a biographer telling us when someone studied. You know, if Martin landad we did a show on ed Wood, Martin Landa had just won an oscar for playing Bella Lagosi.
Speaker 2: He's he's giving us an interview to tell us about Bella.
Speaker 4: I mean about you know, these were really amazing times.
Speaker 1: You know what we did. Montgomery Cliff and I studied with his Russian coach, Mira Rostova and all Russian actress from the stage Checkov and all that shit. And she loved me. I did two years with three years in New York City with her, and she was monte Cliff's confidant. She was on the set Alfred. When monte Cliff was done with a scene, he would look at her, not Alfred Ditchcock and Hitchcock got so many threw her off the set. But we, I said, Michael, reach out to Mira. I'll get a number. She'd be great.
Speaker 3: She was his coach.
Speaker 1: You know, she wouldn't do it. She didn't want to be on TV. She's going like a private person. But that would have been awesome because she knew him when he first started and when he was beautiful before the car accident. And you know, phenomenal. He was phenomenal.
Speaker 4: We had a Michael Gana has a list somewhere and I got to get it.
Speaker 2: Every actor we interviewed. It's over one hundred, yeah and there, and they're all gone. I know, it's pretty much.
Speaker 1: We could do it, look at it. We couldn't show They didn't want us to show sliced wrists. If we did a show tomorrow on Perez Hilton, which by the way, is a big scandal, that's a mystery.
Speaker 3: It's horrifying. But I mean, he'd be he'd be part of the Well he didn't die, thank god, but if they had, you have to wait.
Speaker 4: But but but I know where you're going with this, Like there seems to be like we never ran out of stories. It ran about us, right So we were I was doing Edith, I think a show and Edith's Head when we were.
Speaker 1: The costumes on its business right now, and I had.
Speaker 4: Done a show called Hollywood Babylon, which was about obviously Beverly Hill's scandals. The Menendez Brothers sort of made it into the show. And then uh, we did The Knickerbocker. So I thought we were going to do cities. We could have done hotels. You know, what's that hotel that everyone's there's a show about it right downtown.
Speaker 2: I'm blanking out.
Speaker 1: Well, No, the one that the girl was found the built more than yeah, the shell, Yeah, the one she was found dead in the Watertowner, that one that haunted Yeah, yes, Cecilia, Cecilia, something like that, something like that.
Speaker 4: So what he's saying is like Hollywood Knickerbocker show alone could have been a TV series.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that hotel, you know.
Speaker 4: And what I'm and what I'm mad about, and I'm still mad about it, is that our shows are not available. When I see these people trying to do mysteries and scandals and the grave line tours, and you know, when they're instagram and are talking about Rudy Valentino and I getting that because I go, what.
Speaker 2: Do you did that? First?
Speaker 1: What do you do that?
Speaker 2: You know? You know, now they're doing it.
Speaker 4: I'm not, you know, I'm upset that they can't view our programmer, end.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean they might they might see you. How many did you put up around fifteen game?
Speaker 2: I had over one hundred up?
Speaker 1: No, what now there's over one hundred.
Speaker 2: I put over one hundred episodes on YouTube.
Speaker 1: I thought there was much less than that. Oh my god, I know that.
Speaker 2: I was over one hundred. It took me a year to do.
Speaker 1: They're gone, remember because you took the Oh, well they're gone, That's what I'm saying. How many left?
Speaker 2: They're all gone?
Speaker 1: Now. I thought there's still some available.
Speaker 2: There's only like Peter Lawford's the only way they didn't go.
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: Okay, these were getting two hundred and eight hundred thousand views a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I had them up for five years.
Speaker 1: That's enough for a network or all them network to go, We're gonna do it over here. We're gonna do it over here. It's like, that's the built in viewership. It isn't Intagram followers or Facebook. It's fucking people watching the whole up.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, we don't own the show.
Speaker 4: I know it's owned by NBC or whoever owns E now, but see, the copyright has ran out of that show, so that at this point, if no one's monetizing it making money off of it, it should be able to be viewed. I'm not selling them, No, I'm not monetized. I'm not claiming I own them.
Speaker 1: They're just The thing about you is, and I know you you're too proud for this. I don't get it. You have such a mass following on Vintage Los Angeles. You're an news You're a news person now journalists, so to speak. You've got this great background in television with a great show and other shows. You did Intervention, you did Celebrity Rehab, you did a bunch of other shows.
Speaker 3: You never put a subscription button on your page.
Speaker 1: People would pay a dollar a month, five bucks a month just to see and listen to you or read your page. Everybody does it and you're not doing it. Why don't you do it?
Speaker 2: Well, you just motivated me, so maybe I will. You gotta do that.
Speaker 4: I can include you and my subscriptions. Well, we'll have chats.
Speaker 2: Of course, whatever whatever you need me.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm I'm counting on all your people on Vintage to see this and fucking realize because you don't tell them everything. Your page is great. You post all wonderful things about the city and the state, but they don't really know.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe some of them do.
Speaker 1: But your whole history of what you did at E and your background and what you did after E and now it's no you don't on the part of loudmouth. I talk about me all the every fucking day. I'm good at talking about myself, but you need to do that more often because you have so much to offer. But anyhow, it got me. I was stupid because when the show got canceled and the second show got canceled, I just I guess. I was like, I'm not immature, but I wasn't wise to the ways of Hollywood. I took it so personal that I went into this fucking I mean, I just hit bottom. That's when I started doing a lot of drugs and drinking every fucking day. I just because I was still getting paid a handsome amount of money to keep my mouth shut about the show's getting canceled. That's why I smack started being John because I couldn't tell the truth about what happened, and all suddenly my life's falling apart. And I realized, like later on you go, so many people go through cancelations in horrible ways too, Like just the other day, someone got a movie or a show got canceled while the actor was on the way. Oh no, he was on this set. Oh. ESPN fired a guy during the show. He found that he's getting fired. He walked off the set. It happens in TV. TV is run by Root. Was fucking people, some wonderful people, but the people above them are ruthless. Like Allison, I had money coming in from mystery. The scales became international. I got spotted in Paris, spotted in Italy. I'm like, holy shit, this is pretty cool Mexico. And I'm like, I called it an This girl up up in accounting and I'm like, can you find a check for me. There's got to be a check for me. I'm looking at these magazines from Portugal. I'm on the cover. She goes, let me look. She found an eighteen thousand dollars check. That eighteen grand. He never told me it was sitting there. I'm like, I said, I'll give you twenty percent. Find me a check. So I gave you twenty percent and eighteen hundred eighteen thousand. Because it wasn't for I wouldn't have got the money there was right, you.
Speaker 2: Would have known it and I'll go in a week.
Speaker 1: So I blew it in three weeks. But I was gone gone. I mean, dinner for ten.
Speaker 4: You were very generous, by the way, Well, I've worked. I've worked with a lot of hosts, okay, and I've never met had a host like you, who first of all was my friend, but also you were generous with all of us because we producers weren't making any money.
Speaker 2: We were making They said, you.
Speaker 4: Couldn't spell, you know, cheap without e right, you're making a dollar a day on the show. Greatest show I ever worked on, though, And we were broke, and you would take it.
Speaker 2: We were young, we were in our twenties.
Speaker 4: You take us to all Go, you feed us fabulous food, and there was always so.
Speaker 2: Much food on the table.
Speaker 4: I can pick up thet and I love that, you know, I love eating, drinking with my friends.
Speaker 2: I was what I like to do. It's my past.
Speaker 1: That's what we did because that's how we grew up, family friends, my dad.
Speaker 4: Wes had lots of food on the table and you know, and I'd be like, that's how we all go.
Speaker 2: Was an incredible time with you there to go to that place. And that's gone too.
Speaker 4: Fee like a lot of things are gone. But we also like we were like a pretty tight group. Like today, I don't even think people really bond like they used to because we didn't have social media to go home to and talk about.
Speaker 2: We talked to.
Speaker 4: Each other about our lives, right, so yeah, I have a plant. I mean, if our show was around during Mystery, if our show was around when the internet was around.
Speaker 3: Oh forget, No, we have no Google.
Speaker 1: No no, it was just.
Speaker 4: Like Google Marilyn Monroe and everything comes up for me.
Speaker 2: No, no, yeah, you don't write script. They're gonna write your whole script on Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I never were actually.
Speaker 4: Learning and reading and watching the films of every everybody we did. I remember when we did Ava Gardner, I must have watched sixteen of her movies in two days.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wanted to know who she was. I didn't want to just get the cliff notes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, we did. You did it right. I mean some people cut corners here and there, and I would call them out on it like there was something. I mean, there's there's are little things, but like I think Danny did Marilyn Roe, I think I'm pretty sure. Okay, Yes, and we're at the We're at the we're at the cemetery. Was it Westwood, Maryland?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, And he wants me to put a rose in her mausoleum thing and I'm like, I'm not doing it. I can't it just it just doesn't look right. It's just I wouldn't do that. I don't think I did it. Maybe I acquiesced because it was early in my career. Maybe I said, Okay, I'll do it, but I didn't like doing it. One time, Karen Langren wanted to put a she wanted this bar of fire behind me because somebody died in a fire. Maybe it was Jack Hasseley, I forget, but it was a fire situation. I'm like, this looks fucking janky. They're not gonna see it. You just gonna see the flames. I go, I know, but do they really think I'm in front of a flaming building?
Speaker 3: Come on, these people aren't stupid.
Speaker 1: But I let her do it.
Speaker 3: And then it got to the point where I'm like, I'm not doing Like we're doing new picture.
Speaker 4: You had a wire I think you had a wire hanger in your in your hand once for the John Crawford.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they yeah, they gave me a wire hanger. Yeah. And then they were like, we're gonna do new pictures, promote promotional pictures, and we want you to wear a top hat. I go now I'm not putting the fuck like a nineteen forties I love the catch, but that's not me. I'm not crime Dog McGruff. I'm not wearing it. Then they go, we're doing new commercials. You, Steve Kimento, Jules Asder, You're gonna walk through this door and we're gonna say, you're showing going to sit there and cross your arms.
Speaker 3: I go, I'm not going to open the door.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I go, it's just not what I do.
Speaker 1: What would you do?
Speaker 2: Okay? Remember remember not interrupt you.
Speaker 4: But remember when we had that guy Richard Berenson and he was in a set designer and he designed the What's My Line?
Speaker 2: Set?
Speaker 3: You remember doctor Killallall?
Speaker 4: We started doing like whoa, maybe we can make life sets.
Speaker 3: You see.
Speaker 2: That's when the boulevard was starting.
Speaker 4: To get a little bit busy and we were.
Speaker 2: Getting more popular.
Speaker 4: So we were starting to think that we should do more of the host reps in the studio. And that's why Richford come in and he built sets and we had like for the Bing Crosbie one.
Speaker 2: I remember, we we because he's.
Speaker 4: So associated with like Christmas and Christmas we had we had.
Speaker 2: We had this was so fun.
Speaker 4: We brought in all these old TV sets from like the fifties and we decorated them with Christmas.
Speaker 2: Ornaments and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like we had you walking by and for the ed Wood one, we had you walking by like a store where they sold like like and gorsweaters and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because you want go swat is right.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, just such a good and we had a good, a.
Speaker 1: Nice old call for Bobby Fuller. We had the nice old blue I forget what Megan model was.
Speaker 2: It was supposed to be an oldsmobile, but they gave us something else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 4: Fun because we were able to do that in a just a junkie old parking lot right right, the cheap parking lot. And we had the smoke machine in the car and you kind of did a cool thing where you're like he died in the car and you kind of like did that to the window, you know, car seat.
Speaker 2: So you had like some cool improvisational things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember for me everything turned because people don't understand when you get a TV job, whether you're a producer or the talent or the whole it's not the talent. I hate that way. You're talented or all talented, but you know, you get thirteen weeks, you go, all right, well, let's see if we can make this go just thirteen weeks it's nothing, and if it goes okay, then you get another thirteen she was out feeling better about yourself.
Speaker 3: Then the third three up was fifty two weeks.
Speaker 1: And then you go, okay, we fucking made it. We got a whole year, like we can let our nuts hang and really explore what we want to do. Then you get re upped again, so it makes you feel like we're doing something right, which which is really good. But otherwise television is just, you know, it's just it's so daunting and you just never know where you stand. People lie to you, they tell it's just I.
Speaker 4: Think we had a very good I think if you tell anyone we had a good five year run as kind of a miracle, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like one point, at one point, you were you were everywhere. I mean, you had your posters in the lobby, Oh you hoards, you want Howardster.
Speaker 4: You were on the commercials, the mysteries and scandals and the faming and the bitch was running.
Speaker 2: That commercial was running every eight minutes. And then you were like sick of myself.
Speaker 3: I know you told me that I forgot I was sick of myself.
Speaker 2: I know I get that way.
Speaker 1: I get sick of my voice too, But I mean, that's all what can we do?
Speaker 2: That's that's what you mean now that I'm on camera too.
Speaker 4: But the thing is, like, you know, you get to know yourself so well that you you were so the fa you were a face of you know.
Speaker 2: There were faces right them you Steve comet Go.
Speaker 4: I mean that that you know, I knew would go on and do things after, Like you're not going to just be the person you were associated with so many other things. But I want people to know that are listening to this to please go to YouTube's on my channel. I thenkored and and please type in a J. Bens a blooper reel from Field.
Speaker 1: That's a funny one.
Speaker 4: This doesn't show the fun that we had Bottle the Field making these shows. There were so many funny bloopers. You made me laugh when you said, Tony said, you know, kind of giving.
Speaker 1: You a line you talk about I remember that. I remember one show it was more Yeah, I punched that planter and broke my fingers.
Speaker 2: You thought it was.
Speaker 1: I know, I hit so hard.
Speaker 2: It was a cement wall.
Speaker 3: It was like a thousand pounds in men planter huge.
Speaker 2: We hear it.
Speaker 3: You could hear it. I know, we hear it.
Speaker 2: I can't believe your whole entire army. I know it was I broke.
Speaker 1: They actually said the knuckles on my right hand were broken in twenty places. I can't believe knuckles can break in twenty places. But I got a splint and I finished the episode. I don't know how many days later, but I wore a splint. Yeah, yeah, that was about you know what this is? This We were right by my house for some reason, by my apartment. It wasn't too far from where I lived, and I told somebody. I gave them my key and I said, you gotta go to my apartment. Here's the key. I have Perkoset in my medicine cabinet. Bring me back to and somebody on the staff went, maybe one of the I was one of these production assistants, like are you sure.
Speaker 2: I go I have?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm dying in fucking pain. I need it, And they went and brought it to me. That's how crazy that show. And then one night, she calls me. Chico calls me, I love me a message. I checked my messages and he's in the hotel, drinking the whole mini bar and committing suicide. He said he can't call him, he's in the bathtub. I'm like, cheek, I'm in la you. I can't cut I know. I'm just letting you know I love you. So I called him back from the company phone, and they would giving me shit, you can't use the phone. Go for a bit, it might cost five bucks. I fucking threw it against the brick walls, smashing the pieces.
Speaker 3: Allison. It was not Alison, it was Alicia Good was there. I think was one of her.
Speaker 1: Shows, and she was like, oh my god, I'm gonna get fired, know you not. They'll take it out of me. Nothing happened to me, but I mean I got close like Betsy Rot. One night I met an ext girlfriend for dinner at Misseli's and we had a few wines before my shoot, and I guess I was slurring words a little bit. I'm sure I was, And Betsy made me sign this morals clause again because you know we could follow.
Speaker 2: You for this.
Speaker 1: I'm like, all right, Okay, you know, I'm sorry. But then the last show, I said this on yesterday's show, and I did Darthy Kilgallen the last show I forget to produce his name. Wasn't a big fan of his, but he was like a little bit of a pain in the ass, but a smart alex young guy. It was Gary DeVore, which is a great story about this writer who was talking about Patamar and Noriega and the connection to Ronald Reagan and all this money being transferred. And they found him. He disappeared in the desert years past, and some guy locally puts on a wet suit and then snarkle of a mask, goes in an aqueduct and finds his truck. But there's only two skeletal hands in the backseat, no laptop, what he was working on, that's all been taken. So obviously they got rid of him, like they got rid of d'artie Killgown, like that got rid of Malon Monroe. But I couldn't do the show. Sorry. I was so fucked up that me and Tony drove there in his airstream behind us, and he had a bar in his airstream and I went too far and I mean the camera the jib was coming toward me, and it was petrifying me. We were in the dead like some not that someplace was all sand. There was fucking tarantula's by my product. Yeah, there was not no scorpion, a scorpion scorpion on my little on my black product show.
Speaker 3: I kicked it off. Then I saw a bad flying off a tumble weed. I thought it was a ghost.
Speaker 1: I was insane. They have to They never added the show, and that was the last one. Remember, I forget the guy's name. I was so I think it was Mike Done, Mike Done, Mike Done. I was sad for him because he really wanted that show, and I fucked it up. And that was the last show we did. Was Clark Gable, uh right outside of Daddy's on on whatever kawang, I think it's on. And there was no party for us, no cake, no nothing. We went into We went into Daddies. I paid for all of us to have drinks and a bunch of you have some fun and throwing napkins in the air like Greeks do, and we were all just being crazy. But he didn't even care. They taped overroller episodes they didn't give us, not even a fucking cake for Hey, thanks for the one hundred and sixty episodes. Whatever the fuck?
Speaker 4: Just shitty people, all the employees being kicked out, uh fake fire drill. No, that's horrible, man, and then never getting to say goodbye to anybody.
Speaker 2: I did say about Harold my favorite came people, you know, but everybody came. I think we all went to the Formosa. Do you remember on the day of the firing, when they fired all of us the way they did with this. We called you from the car and you're like, oh my god, I can't believe this happened. You guys, you knew it though, but you did know what was coming, but you didn't know it would be.
Speaker 1: That d that horrible meta Formosa. Formosa is great. Well that's that's where I lived across the street down.
Speaker 2: Right, But I know I didn't realize that Clark Gable was the last show. I don't remember what. I was in the middle of a show. They canceled the show I was on because I was doing the Edith Head episode.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we didn't get to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they canceled. Good.
Speaker 4: But it was very strange because the nine to eleven. It happened, so so soon after this, right, yeah, und right around that time, because Mysteries and Scandals was about three weeks after your show.
Speaker 2: The talk show got canceled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was real close after very close, you know, we came back and then that happened because I remember that we had there were two camera men from E on the first plane that went into the first time. Oh my god, well I okay, so email went out. See we were we were there during nine to eleven. Okay, so we were there. We were at the because we were fired after that. Okay, So I'm getting it all kind of mixed up. But when Mysteries and Scandals was like that's it, it's over. You guys are done, they put me on another show. They put me on that revealed show.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: I was never more miserable in my life, so miserable to a show so vanilla like that, because I was really wanted to dig into real story and so I was kind of just making the paychecks for figuring out what to do. And that's and I knew that Anna Nicole Smith show was going to be coming our way soon. And I did work on that for about a minute. But we got an email from Mindy Herman came from the President that two cameramen were in the first plane that were Cara looked at E.
Speaker 2: That was not the way to tell employees. That you go to their offices and you tell them personally.
Speaker 4: If it takes you all day, you go to each office each show sit the people down. Because if we knew those cameramen, that's not the way that you almost bring in a therapist because we went to their funerals and you know, there's no body so and of course both of the cameramen that died wives were pregnant.
Speaker 3: It's oh god, I know hard.
Speaker 4: And I remember Richard Berenson was like, I think he was back east at the time, and you know, the planes were grounded so you couldn't fly for a little while, and he asked Mindy if he could just please rent a car to bring it back because he wanted to come back.
Speaker 2: To eat right. And then she wouldn't even let.
Speaker 4: Him be there.
Speaker 1: No fucking Mindy Herman, you know I can't tell you, you know we we I know that you feel the same at least you made me did, or you still do. But Betsy Rot, you guys had to work with Betsy, who was the executive producer, and she would look over every script and it'd always come back with her famous red ink markers to edit this, get rid of this. And I remember seeing those scripts, and I know that she was tough to deal with. Her face always turned red when you had to any kind of confrontation.
Speaker 3: On my talk show.
Speaker 1: She'd meet me at the hotel before the show and go, let me know what you're gonna ask so and so, like this is my friends. I know Dan rather, I know the model Frederic. I could say anything to that. No, I need to know what you'd ask her. She was ridiculous. So I got her off that and I thought she hated me. And years go by and John Robert said, I promise you Betsy loves you. I said, she has a weird way of showing it. I went back to see you one day, walked up to the there were two big blown up pictures of me from Mysteries and scandals on a wall. So I guess you just didn't know how to deal with people or or hosts whatever. But she did like she did love the show and liked me, but she didn't know how to show it. She was so cold.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, recreate the show years later and not have the original crew come back.
Speaker 2: That's that's what she lost me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't And I remember I called her.
Speaker 4: I actually called her and said, so I hear you're doing a new Mystery and Scandals.
Speaker 2: You're not going to use any of the original crew. That's kind of odd. And I said, uh, and you're why are you.
Speaker 4: Calling it Mysteries and Scandals? Why don't you just tell it something else? Because you're not doing re enactments. You have no age day, there's no smoke machine.
Speaker 1: They changed the fun they changed the font of the words. That's all they did.
Speaker 2: That's all they did.
Speaker 4: But there they sabotaged my YouTube channel so that so that they so when people would google Mysteries and Scandals, they only wanted So that's one comes up.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I know. I can't stand her. I never liked her, and that it.
Speaker 2: Was even her fold It's like no, but it's not. It's always hard when they redo a show.
Speaker 3: That you.
Speaker 1: I would I would take someone's show if someone hired me right now for someone's old show. That I mean, I understand why she took the gig, but I u understand why he did what they did.
Speaker 3: I called him and I.
Speaker 1: Called Betsy that day when I heard, and I ripped her a new one and I said, I'm you know, I said, I can't bellyeve we you know, we'd have if we all came back and redid it, all of us.
Speaker 3: Again, even even a few of us, but me as the host and a you know.
Speaker 1: And then I said, you know what, that's I'm Sicilian, I'm putting the fucking hex on this show, the hex on the fucking network. Now the network. Hexs didn't work because she made the millions. But that show ended and they take like six episodes. Maybe they did nothing. They did Michael Jackson and a few people, but it didn't hit. It didn't hold.
Speaker 2: No, it didn't hit. No. I know people want the original.
Speaker 4: And you know, when you ask me to tell people, oh, what shows did you produce tonight, say mysteries and Scar I loved that. Every time, you know, I can yeah, I can mount it when they say, I'm like, I know, loved the show.
Speaker 1: We loved it was a It was a very heavy time because I walked. I was flying a latter New York and back like every two weeks I was flying and I remember one time Joe Pesty was on a flight.
Speaker 3: He yelled out faming the bitch and I got that a lot for people.
Speaker 1: It was really cool, you.
Speaker 2: Know, did you know how? Sorry interrupt you, but you have do you have fame? And the bitch happened?
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 3: I remember they had a big meeting and no one's taking credit for it.
Speaker 1: So I did.
Speaker 3: But tell me what you heard, tell me what you are.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is a fact I was. I was working at the front desk, right and this is like ninety six ninety six ish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the TVs are always on in my down there because we were always running e shows.
Speaker 1: Everybody watched. You kept eat on your householl day.
Speaker 2: I would just leave it on. Yeah it was Channel twenty six. I left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I've got a boyfriend at the time that says, why don't you just send a resume to that place?
Speaker 2: You love this channel? If he had that, I never would be there right now.
Speaker 3: Oh, game made me do it, see wow, And.
Speaker 4: I wrote like a fake resume with jobs I really never had, and whatever I got, I got the D Gaming.
Speaker 2: Traders want that hired me. We hit it off. Right away. Yeah, okay, so they were this isn't the infancy with E.
Speaker 4: So there wasn't twenty four hour original programming, right, So they had Melrose Place on E for a while Melrose and the commercial for Melrose Place was showing heather Locklayer and it was.
Speaker 2: The same ain't it Ain't she a bitch?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Really? Yeah? Saming she a bitch? Or ain't she a bitch? Yeah? Ain't she bitch?
Speaker 3: Ain't she imitch?
Speaker 4: That was the commercial that E ran. And then I think Michael said that would be perfect for to do.
Speaker 3: Like a spin on that.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, that came up with faming of the Bitch.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't know that. I just I never knew the answer. So I'm like, yeah, I I came up with it because I know one time they wanted to change it to Hollywood my kind of town. I'm like, no, that was it my kind of town. People.
Speaker 2: They were all in a meeting and they were throwing what.
Speaker 1: That man, the bitch is perfect? Why are we Why are we changing it?
Speaker 2: It was at commercial with the light when you can do.
Speaker 4: You have that?
Speaker 2: I had it one time.
Speaker 1: Somebody found it. I can't find it on the internet. Anywhere, but somebody found it and sent it to me. I can't That was a few phones ago. I don't have it anymore, but I wish I could. I miss it now.
Speaker 3: I used to get sick of it then, but now I miss it.
Speaker 4: If anyone who's listening, if anyone's listening to this there works this week, will you please go in the vaults and try to get some stuff for us, because I have a full interview with my father that i'd love to have.
Speaker 3: That's really special, that's really have that I'd like to have.
Speaker 2: Some of the some of the some of the ship we did. He was the talk show.
Speaker 4: I turned all the tapes in well, but but we didn't own the show, so we would, you.
Speaker 3: Know, retorted if you took the beta versions right.
Speaker 4: Of Mysteries and Scandals, Yeah, yeah, no, I don't have any beta versions.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you took that initially, and I took VHS copies.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, they're better than nothing, I know, you know, but today with AI and the way that they record, you know, you can you can upgrade a bad VHS tape and run it through and have it a lot. I don't write word, you know, but Michael Dana Hey, God bless him, has every show on DVD, so I need to go get that from him.
Speaker 2: He moved.
Speaker 1: He's up up in northern California with his boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Yes, he said, come.
Speaker 4: Get them, and I'm going to hold them all over again. And I'm not going to put title at his Mysteries and Scandals. People are gonna have to find the show because last time I did that, they took him down.
Speaker 1: So call it like you know, don't call it this. But so many people that I've run into over in the last twenty five thirty years, mostly guys, will go, he did that show Murders and Mysteries. They always say murders and and my nephew makes fun of me because even my real I love murders and mission. It's not me.
Speaker 3: I love Sorry, that's not me.
Speaker 2: We'll call it murder.
Speaker 1: That's that's that'd be too funny because everybody thinks that's the name of it. Anyhow, all these all the time, got Murders and Mysteries.
Speaker 2: I love that show. Yeah, that is hysterical.
Speaker 1: Well listen, I mean, uh, I could talk to you all day and I know when I come I'm coming home Saturday. And then next week, Let's have dinner because it's been a long time to Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 3: I'm ready. I love I've been in a long time. I love you too.
Speaker 1: Thank you Alison for reviving all these memories. It was a great time. You were by far my favorite and uh, you know, you a big hand and making the show a hit. I just read the words that people wrote. But you put the ship together with Without you ain't no show.
Speaker 2: It was a team.
Speaker 1: But you know, yeah, yeah, the a team. All right, I love you, don't Okay? All right, guys, that was it a j Benza. I almost said mysteries and scandalss oh my god. Uh Dailian I felt the podcast famous a bitch. August sixth, Teles six will talk tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Take care,