Speaker 1: Good morning, and welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program right here on K one. Hey, I'm fourteen hundred, FM ninety three point three and FMT ninety five point one.
Speaker 2: The Green Country.
Speaker 1: Gardener Program with our expert Larry Glass, is brought to you by Green Plumb Nursery and Greenhouses, United, Reynolds, Kelly Banks, Tree Service, Roman's Outdoor Power, Accent, Pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, James Phillips, and Gateway First Back. Yeah, morning, good morning, good morning, welcome, welcome, welcome time for the Green Country Gardener Program. Our total three numbers one eight hundred seven four nine five ninety three six.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom. I just had to the phone.
Speaker 1: Larry Glass is our expert, and my goodness, stakes things are getting green and things are popping up all over the.
Speaker 2: Place, the best time of the year.
Speaker 3: All of sudden, like we have a month of rain. Yeah, well it's about yeah, it was a month, tell me about it. Sitting around going and I wish we could go to work outside. Finally, Actually it's still kind of went out there. We're doing some work yesterday on the chart. It's just it's still just muddy. But we'll get going on it. We're expected to hide schedule. So what else is new?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Spring time in Oklahoma in Kansas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it rains and then now what's gonna be the middle of May? Yep, then no rain till September. Then the ground gets like rock.
Speaker 2: Then we get a couple of beauties and then it dries up again for winter.
Speaker 3: Anyway, today is a big day of the nursery. We got lots of annuals and perennials and trees and shrubs, so come on check it out. We have some hydraches red, white and blue. They need good soil.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: We have a new truckload of composts. We're so excited yesterday. And we also have bulk compost too.
Speaker 2: Oh very good.
Speaker 3: See back up your trailer, will hoist it in there with the caboda and get you some composts. Nothing like big old tomatoes that do so well in all that compost. Yeah, you plant a tomato and clay you're just gonna get.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get what you get, leaf.
Speaker 3: Spot and blossoming rods.
Speaker 2: Put it in the good stuff though, next thing you know, you got good eat.
Speaker 3: I did that for somebody a while back. But I just put a superfluous amount of composts. Wow, and man, they had tomatoes and about the size.
Speaker 2: Of pumpkins the gorge. But still they have a.
Speaker 3: Good quantity and good supply tomatoes too. It's also important to towards the planting far apart to where they don't grab each other out, you know what, don't crawl the tomatoes grow. Yeah, So anyway, so that's kind of what's going on with the nursery too. Got some malts, good looking milks too, you're into that. Yeah, hanging baskets and uh, these are big flower pots. Put a biogle ribbon on it and say.
Speaker 2: Here mon, Larry grew it for me.
Speaker 3: Yea water it once a week or twice a week. And some color pots what we call them. And there's several different species of plants depending on whether or not you have sun or shade. So we sometimes we try to ask questions about on what side of the house is this part going to be and so on, and then'll kind of steer them in the right direction as to what do Well, there you go. Because there's plants. They are a product of their environment, and so if you put them in the wrong environment, you've got the cattle skulls and dead twigs into flower pots or or real stretchy plants in the shade. So so you kind of want to know on your hanging pots, in your baskets, what what face of the house that's on. Can we guide you there too? They make a great gifts. Also, we do have some good supply drift ROAs is right now. Drift roses get about who knee high or so, and some of them I think they're self self pruning. I think I don't maybe I don't know, but anyway, and they just bloom pretty much all the time. We sold a lot on this last week too, because they are they're very easy to grow. They just need a fair amount of sunshine. It's some good drainage and some good soil. So there are three factories we don't always have, that's true, at least two of them don't have. That's what we have to mind. And somebody came in they wanted an a plant. Well, we tried it before and they died. Andy said, well, what are you doing to the soil? And nothing? Well, azalias are what we call irracacious. What does that mean? I mean they require an acid soil and are a resident soil here is a pH of as little as six point five, but up to seven, sometimes up to eight, and that's pretty much toxic for these alias. So we showed us some other options. Maybe that might worry, but really most of these plants that grow in the shade do require a somewhat lower pH because are typically under the canopy of trees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not.
Speaker 3: pH is kind of low. There are some parts in Woodland Park, for instance, the pH is like five point five. We've done some tests in the past and it's like you know, vinegar, the pH scale is exponential, so the lower yougo, the rore acid is and you know you've got hydrochl work acid.
Speaker 1: Your foul, your while you're walking across the feeder sily and the acid.
Speaker 3: So it so it's kind of a narrow range really about five and a half to seven and a half or so. When plants will will grow after that is either you know, a dead cell. So if your plants aren't doing well and all the other factors are in place as far as shady requirements and drainage and water, it could be just a soil chemistry is not quite right, just getting easily remitted by a by a test. Then they then you can make lime or iron sulfate or sulfur to alter the PhD the soil those particular plants. Another thing you can tell if your pH is too high in your zeal is diminished leaf size. This also happens on holly plants too, and all the plants such as the Burford holly or the American holly, we'll have black spots on them. A lower pH or iron deficiency creates a susceptibility to leaf spot. So if you do have yellow spotty leaves on your hollies and the leaves a little smaller than they were when when you first got the plant, your pH is more likely too high. So iron self eate. I use iron on my iron on my boxwoods and hollis at my house. They do just fine. Gives them nice because I live on the surface of Mars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: They finally got down with the fiber lines of the second go round.
Speaker 1: How many times did they break their drills and digging equipment.
Speaker 3: I don't know. They took away big old pile of rocks this idea. It was four weeks this time, so have had two months. Either these artistic sculptures in the front yard or just big old pile of rocks and all this equipment sitting out there, had a bunch of people scratching their heads.
Speaker 2: Goodness.
Speaker 3: So anyway, they got it done and they got to they gotta cleaned up. They did a pretty good job cleaning up, put some grass on it. So so anyway, that's that's a testament to our solar quality. And that's probably why I have weeds in my heart.
Speaker 2: Too busy take care of everybody exactly.
Speaker 3: So anyway, you might come out check out hanging baskets for Mother's Day. They make really great gifts, or color pots quite well, and maybe some roses for some good reliable color. But if things aren't doing very well, if you're want to plant some roses and just plants just really you're just not thriving u the rose will probably follow the same suit. So you might want to consider getting a backup compost while you're out too. And don't a little bit but a big preparation had to teach my guys how to plant plants. It said, no, you're you're not putting your cork in the ground. You need to dig a large hole and add this compost because you look what the trees are planted in from the grower. It's a very loose mixture and you put it in the clay, that's quite a bit of culture shock. And also the clay doesn't transmit water as fast as as the lootor soil does, and the pot will will tend to dry out quicker than the other plants. And even though we've had some rain in the ground as moist, if you put something in the ground and don't have a way for the water to get into the plant, then it's going to dry out, which seems kind of weird, but it does. It happens because all the water is used up in that one little pot, and if the soil around it is heavy, the water doesn't transmit very fast into if at all. So that's kind of why we say, do a hole twice as big as the plant, or three times or whatever. Yeah, and then and then mix in some stuff. So the plant is planted in a barkie kind of mixture and the soil is kind of heavy around here, something to transition it to that you'll be much better off. That's why we do a lot of ground prep when we do landscaping. I bet you do un there with a tiller and the shovels and it's one project. We put a whole palette of compost in and so, yeah.
Speaker 1: Jay, what We're gonna take a quick break. We'll be right back after this two minute timeout.
Speaker 4: This Mother's Day. Say it with flowers from Green Thumb Nursery. Brighton Mom's Day, with vibrant hanging baskets, blooming African violets and fresh annuals and perennials. Not sure what to choose, A Green Thumb gift certificate is always the perfect fit for the gardener in your life. Green Thumb is open Monday through Saturday nine to five and special Mother's Day hours eleven to four. Celebrate Mom with something that grows only at Green Thumb Nursery.
Speaker 5: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 6: Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 5: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 6: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 7: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 6: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 5: What's that number?
Speaker 8: It's nine one eight day three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 7: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding, and tree removal needs.
Speaker 8: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 9: The employees at United Rentals our local folk who works, go to church and send their kids to school in Bartlesville and the surrounding area. But United Rentals also has corporate buying power, which gives them power and leverage to get you the best.
Speaker 2: Deal on a quick may.
Speaker 5: You need to get your job done right, and with twenty.
Speaker 9: Four hour servants, there's always someone from United Rentels to help you. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five United Rentals.
Speaker 10: Melissa Wandle was nine months pregnant with her first child when her husband Mark was killed in a car accident.
Speaker 4: His life insurance made a huge difference for Melissa and her daughter Madison.
Speaker 10: I wasn't going to have to worry about going to work every day, leaving her in the hands of somebody else struggling day by day to get by.
Speaker 3: A message from the nonprofit Life Foundation.
Speaker 1: Welcome up, Welcome back. It's the Greek Country Gardener program and you can be a part of it. With your questions about your lawy, your garden. Virtually anything that grows one eight hundred three six, I should say out of the ground, because you know, if we start getting things about kids. It's been a while since we've restars. But anyway, things that grow, things that grow. Right now, it looks like the client list is growing here.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that's that's uh, that's one of those calls.
Speaker 2: Oh I got you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh. Every now and then we get we get granddaughter alerts.
Speaker 3: I wasn't granddaughter. That was telling somebody from the foreign country. One telemarketer wanted to sell me something like medicare.
Speaker 2: But uncle, uncle spam, uncle spam.
Speaker 3: Fruit trees right now. The fruit is in production right now. The pollen enation should be over with by then. So I like to use Spinner's adic uses on my plum trees. Last year I used it. I'm gonna use it again. This year.
Speaker 2: We had perfect.
Speaker 3: Plums, perfect pun about the big bottle, and I used it about once every week or so. Spinnish add is a it's a natural, organic kind of thing, and that's actually very effective. Okay, because my plumbs for flawless no worms. Wow, so nice. So you might consider it starting a program of that. I use a hose in spray or one of those proportional sprayers put on your hoss, just spray it like that, and it did a good job of keeping the bugs under control of my fruit trees. Now that they're getting a little old though. The plum tree to the west, yes, it's turned and dying off a little bit. It doesn't look that.
Speaker 2: Help starting to get plum.
Speaker 3: It was probably the last year for it. Or pick all the food off it. You know, there was a big firewood action and thing. Make cut it out, get a new it next fall. They're twenty years in the ground. Twenty years, I mean, yes, yeah. So anyways, the spinish add is a very good topical application. You want to avoid systemics at this time too. Knee oil is another good one for insects and for fungus. However, you want to make sure that you don't do it in the heat of the day because it will cause some leaf damage.
Speaker 2: So don't want those leaves to cook.
Speaker 3: Well, it seals them up, the oil does, and they can't breathe. They can't breathe, and they and they dry up kind of slowed away. So anyway, leaves, you know, you don't how a leaf works. Sure takes water up and they have a stomata on the bottom of the leaves and they open up. The hotter it gets, they open up and it draws more water up in the written and it evaporates and keeps it cool. So the leaves are big radiators too. They keep the plant cool, and they also take the sunshine and convert water and carbon dioxide and carbohydrates, which makes really delicious plums and cherries and peaches and so on.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: So at these little sugar factories all over your yard.
Speaker 2: They bubble up and next thing you know, you gotta fruit exactly.
Speaker 3: So anyway, it's also timed in the basier garden warm seas and seeds, beans and stuff like that. Uh, not quite time yet for okrah. That comes a little bit later. But maybe a little magnesium sulfate on your tomatoes. They like a slightly low pH and they respond very well to epsom salt, not too much. It is a trace element. So we got colored. We do put them on.
Speaker 1: Good Morning, Welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program. Your question or comment for Larry Glass.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I've got zucchini and yellow squash, and last year I got a worm and the stem that just devastated everything. So what's a good spray for that?
Speaker 3: Well, I'd like to use the spinners add on that too, and you had to eat on the on the sprays. You have to be consistent with it. Once one shot will not do you. Remember that one shot you're good for the whole day. Well, that doesn't work. You have to have to go on a regular basis to do that. And that's one reason why I like the organics is, Uh, they're harmless to to humans, but it messes up the insect pretty much. So you have to be consistent with it. And those those worms typically enter at the at the main stem at some point.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so.
Speaker 3: You could, yeah, just make even the cedar malts might keep them away a little bit too. Just the smell of the ceedar might repel them too, But anyway, keep an eye on them. And uh, there's another one that BT basiloster genesis works very well on those creepy crawlers too, and it has some good residual activity because it is a basically a disease that the worms get.
Speaker 11: Okay, and you have that stuff out your place, you bet all right? I know, the like you rightly been having if you know it is a resistant rain or every time it raine, but you need to reapply.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, that'd be a good idea. Yeah, of course, now it's not going to rain to logust so September. Oh yeah, no, that's usually what happens. So I had.
Speaker 11: Some beautiful plants and all of a sudden they were laying on straight.
Speaker 3: So anyway you need to and the uh, I would go with the thirst side. Really if you have a if if it's a caterpillar problem, uh, and you can concentrate it on the on the report of entry, which is typically kind of close to the stem. Okay, at the root, and you might go along the just the trunk. If you get it on the leaves, well it'll it'll stop the the caterpillars that'll live, these tiny little green worms that might be on the leaves.
Speaker 11: But if you get it at the base, do it at.
Speaker 3: The base and pretty much up the stem too, if possible.
Speaker 11: All right, and well they are they already askeeper what I need to I've got a day or two they'd be able to get it straight or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i'd be all right, Yeah I should should be now once they get in once they get inside the plant, it's very difficult to control them. So you want to be kind of proactive and start a programming. It'll just take a bottle of a thoricide and that shouldn't do you for the summer.
Speaker 1: Really, thank you for recall. Appreciated as always. Eight twenty seven is our time. You can be a part of the program too at one eight hundred seven six.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're talking about vashtable gardens a little bit too. Yeah, and keep in mind how how well your your plants did last last summer. Tomatoes respond very well with these salts, and so you just do a little bit better. Now, don't overdo it because it is a trace element, so just just kind of sprinkles it goes the wrong way, don't take the whole bottle and go prove you know that won't work. More is not better. Actually, the center one of the elements of chlorophyll is a magnesium, so that's what makes it green, I guess, but there you go. So, so some of that would help a little bit too.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: And uh benefits uh uh hello, potatoes a little benefit from that too.
Speaker 2: We went from to tater taters, Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that they can benefit a little bit from that also, And what that does is I helped the plant to manufacture chlorophyll. So if it's a trade settlement, so it doesn't it doesn't take the lost you know. Yeah, just just shrinkle a little bit on the ground too, fine, uh gras on your lawns. This week, the Bermuda grass and zoystereo grass are really starting to grow real good. Right now it's taken off and what little bermuda grass I have left. I did spray some crab grass and it stopped and it didn't seem to control it, so we'll see. I'm just never home. My neighbor across the street, he does nothing about a horticle to do beautiful one in town. I'm just never home. So kind of so the permitter of soyster grass are going real well. My crab grass is coming up to you. And notice that Queen Florac is a good, good du solution for crabgrass. It's a good post emergent over side for that. Now crabgrass, you need to apply a pre emergent in February March that to really work, but maybe April depending on the weather. But anyway, Q or Queen Quinn chlorac is a good post emergent control for crabgrass. You want to get it while it's young, too, because it is tough to control. Once it goes to save you almost had to forget it. You just have to get on your hands and knees and pull it up. Use a claw hammer works real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say to weep.
Speaker 3: It out, yeah, or I have my boots on when I'm moan in the grass, I just kick them out anyway. So that's kind of it with grass now. Fesci Grass says, right now you need to start raising them over a little bit on that because it's gonna be hot pretty soon, so it maybe won't happen this year. You know, in the past, we've had summers where not never hit one hundred.
Speaker 2: Find that hard to believe.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've lived here for six years and I can't I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I think it was the early nineties when that happened. Oh okay, so that's a great summer. You can work all day outside and at ninety eight point seven degree weather.
Speaker 1: You know, the first first times I ever came to Oklahoma, I was living in Illinois at the time. Yeah, and my daughter was going to You'm because every time August came and we're getting things ready for moving and all that, Oh, it'd be a little cooler today, It'd only be one hundred and two.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, my.
Speaker 3: Gosh, yeah cool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know, September August around here just got to be murder. Well then I moved here, and uh, you know, may's not too bad. June, July, August, September kind of forget about it. It's going to be hot.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just such a bicul weather pattern we have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's usually right there between ninety seven and one oh two.
Speaker 3: I went to a convention one year in the past, just thirty years ago, and in July, and it was like four thousand degrees over here. It was fifty five degrees that day we were there. We were frazy. We weren't prepared for that. So cold, and you know the way the wind howls up there between those buildings.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The most fun on that was it was the cab ride come from the Air Force. Yeah, Totado is with us. He wanted to impress. We were going down the dan Ryde Expressway. Yea, yeah, at about ninety miles an hour, in a construction zone.
Speaker 2: Well you can do that in a cap They know where, they know what they get.
Speaker 12: Know.
Speaker 3: He ran, he ran red lights and everything else. We got down to the downtown, sheared, and I still remember that. My daughter and her friend were just laughing in the back to you. But you're having a ball and the guy he was, he was laughing to it. Is just so much.
Speaker 1: Fun, like joy writing, especially when you go past the cops.
Speaker 2: Good thing you guys. We're not on Lake Shore Drive. We're doing the LSD.
Speaker 3: So anyway, it's going to get hot, and uh, you want to get that crab grass under control right now, getting back to normal. Yeah, you want to get the crab grass under control. So Q is a good thing for that. Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 1: We've gotta have to take a little break here, and we'll come back and we will have more of the Green Country Gardener program for you in just two minutes.
Speaker 13: Radiology exams often cause many people fear and anxiety. Trusted, easy to understand information about ct MRI and X ray exams can help ease that anxiety. Visit radiologyinfo dot org. You'll find reliable, up to date information on more than two hundred and thirty five radiology procedure exam and disease descriptions. Radiologyinfo dot org offers patient safety information, medical images and screening and wellness information. You'll also find videos featuring radiologists describing what to expect and how to prepare. The site is totally free, doesn't require registration, and is available in English and Spanish. Best of all, radiologyinfo dot org is continually reviewed by medical experts to ensure that it is accurate, end up to date. Get the information you need by visiting radiologyinfo dot org. Produced by the Radiological Society of North America and the American College of Radiology.
Speaker 14: The strength of America, our values, our way of life hasn't just been one on the battlefield. It's one every day in our communities when we come together extending hands of compassion, service, and hope to those who needed most.
Speaker 6: For over one.
Speaker 14: Hundred years, the American Legion has been strengthening communities across our nation by providing life saving help and support to our veterans and neighbors during times like we're facing today. It's what the Legion's all about. From blood drives to distributing food, from responding to emergencies and protecting the most vulnerable among us. Our mission is making America's communities stronger.
Speaker 3: We are one family and therefore we care.
Speaker 14: We are the American Legion Veterans Strengthening America. To learn how you can help, visit Legion dot org.
Speaker 1: Oh, welcome back to the Greek Country Gardner program. It is eight thirty five and you can be a part of our program too.
Speaker 2: It's very easy.
Speaker 1: Pick up the telephone now, whether it's a wireless or got a wire on it hanging off the wall, we don't care what eight hundred and seventy four three sixth arry which.
Speaker 3: Creat myrtles, And I've observed on a lot of creat myrtles. The scale scale it's a little insect. It's kind of hard to see. They are attacks. They're attacking uanimous as well. There's the auanomous scale going around to and it's an insect that crawls up the tree and then it plants itself on the stem and just draws the juices out of the plant, sucks a living life out, and then then it kicks out a sugary substance that the ants like, and they spread the word. They carry the eggs all over the place too. That's what we call a symbiosis. So anyway, so look very closely at your crpe mertle, and the scales are not that hard to see. Look at the stem, it should be smooth. They have a very smooth bark on them, except for the new the new barkt it tends to be a somewhat vertically extriated. But anyway, it does have a relatively smooth bark. And if there's these tiny little protrusions all over the place, so that's scale, and it can actually kill your create myrtle over time. So you can put down some a medical oporate on it, or you can use the on the on the ground as a as a systemic. It's rather effective on that too, or a topical application of a spind as ad or three months ago. It's in Dorman oil. But anyway, so crate myrtle's crate myrtle. Scale is getting really bad and the aantumus scale is starting to spread pretty bad too. Right now, and I can't remember what the plant was, but I saw some scale in it. It will probably come to me, but I thought that rather unusual that this particular plant. I just can't remember the name of it right now. You see thousands from every week at somebody's house and anyway, you're just swimming with it. Yeah, yeah, just covered it. And it's it's something that typically doesn't get it and oak tree, oakley or oak stem scale. It's really bad.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Also, Wow, like I think I'm mentioned a pandemic. I think I mentioned this last last week that the stems were covered absolutely covered with scale insects.
Speaker 1: Didn't know, we didn't do that last week, but wow, had something.
Speaker 3: To see and it's uh, it can cause some serious damage to your to your plant. Imagine because the plants that typically they make, you know, a superfluous amount of sugar in their in their in their photosynthesis. Well this robs that tree that sugar's going down to the roots for storage and all that, and uh, it makes them kind of sick and then you have a susceptibility to diseases and whatnot. So keep an eye on it. Look onto your oak trees, the branches that are hanging down to see if you see these little tiny little round things that look like almost like tiny little fried eggs, but they're brown, and you can pop them off and you squeeze them, you know, so yeah, like Jenny, Yeah, well they're like their insects and that, and it's on your It will be on your crate myrtles right now, which is is almost an epidemic level at this point. It is an epidemic level at this point on your crate myrtles, craate myrtle scale, So look at it real closely, and there there's some cures. Come by the nursery. You might bring a clip off or branch and bring it out. If you question it, then we can do it. That's a scale al right, you got it out back for you. Yeah, so uh.
Speaker 2: Where did you put that?
Speaker 3: These little insects and measure the weight of the scales. So anyway, crate martles. We should see a significant amount of activity on crate myrtles at this point in time. Scratch the mark if for green, if if there's the leaves aren't coming out, just scratch it with your thumbnail. If there's green underneath it. It's maybe in a cool spart of the yard spot of the yard perhaps and it doesn't get as much heat as it would in the open, and it's just a matter of time before it for it leaves out or for the most part, they're really out by now. So if they're not out, you got to you might have some troubles with them. And it's probably scale related. A byproduct for the scale insect is a blackening of the stems. That's a mold created by the sugars they exude, and it's a black stem giveaway. Go to people's house and say you've got scaled in the same I beg your pardon, Oh your crape myrtle has a scale, so watch out for that too. Roses right now, golly, I have some knockouts on the north side of my house and they're they're doing very well. They're away from the hot sun, so they're kind of they're about ten feet away or so from the house, and they're on the north side, so that doesn't really get very you know, relatively it's hot over there as it does otherwise. And they're doing fine, and they're blooming right now. I see a lot of roses at people's houses. So maybe this rosette disease will run its course, hopefully, and perhaps we can have some roses. We do have, like I mentioned earlier, some drift roads. At this point, they seem to be more resistant than the knock out another roses too, So you might if you want some roses, you might consider getting some of those.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: And as this pandemic of rosette disease, you know they always run their course, yeah, seem to. Then we can get back to growing some nice roses. Okay.
Speaker 1: All right, so we got taken under break. Believe it or not. Boy, we've got things up popping today. It is eight forty two. We'll be back after this two minute timeout.
Speaker 4: This Mother's Day. Say it with flowers from Green Thumb Nursery. Brighton Mom's Day with vibrant hanging baskets, blooming African violets and fresh annuals and perennials. Not sure what to choose, A Green Thumb gift certificate is always the perfect fit the gardener in your life. Green Thumb is open Monday through Saturday nine to five and special Mother's Day hours eleven to four. Celebrate Mom with something that grows only at Green Thumb Nursery.
Speaker 5: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 6: Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 5: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 6: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 7: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 6: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 5: What's that number.
Speaker 8: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 7: Call it today for your tree trimming, stop grinding and trade removal needs.
Speaker 8: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 12: Paralyzed Veterans of America National Service Officers.
Speaker 8: We've got an entire generation of men and women who have seen war.
Speaker 2: They're gonna need voices.
Speaker 3: Spertilized Veterans of America represents them changing lives, building futures. That's Paralyzed Veterans of America. To learn more, visit PVA dot org.
Speaker 12: A public service message from Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Jimmy Smith.
Speaker 15: Colorectal cancer is highly preventable, yet it is the second leading cancer killer of men.
Speaker 6: And women in the US.
Speaker 13: But it doesn't have to be so please get screened for colorectal cancer.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 10: If you're fifty year older, get screened for colorectal cancer. A message from the US Department of Health and Human Services.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Green Country Gardener Program. It is eight forty four and total pre number one.
Speaker 2: Three six thirty class.
Speaker 3: Where are we here right now? Dogwoods? Right now, dogwoods are pretty much done blooming unless you have calcul dog with Korean dogwood blom a little bit later. So if you want more extended color, you might consider mixing the species in the yard perhaps to get some extended color. But anyway, it'd be time to turn them back pretty soon. If you need to turn them back, I don't mind. I haven't trimmed it back. It's gross, kind of wild his way over on top of the pergola and between the house and the shed, and I can't see it when But anyway, yes, so they need it's time to do some trimming if you need to on the dogwoods. Watch her bores on your dogwoods too. They're susceptible to them. Also. That's the number one killer of dog woods, or the bores. What you look for is peeling bark, and bark that is peeled off and in the wood down down belowed is exposed. Look for little tiny holes in the cm too. The bores like it being in an area that's exposed to sunshine. So if you have a dog with this's outside, chances are the boors are oriented on the southwest side of the tree. We've mentioned this before, that is the southwest tree disease, and it's caused by bores and the maples and things like that are you know, attracted, and it's a it's an interesting strategy on their part because it's incrementally warmer on the southwest side of time, so they kind of take advantage.
Speaker 2: Of that.
Speaker 3: Going to people's houses. A whole roll of maple trees, every single one in the southwest side had bored on them, and I've told them what to do about them. You get some systemic on it. Used to used to be able to use lending, and I think that's limited Tibetan areage anymore now, but you can't get it over counter anymore, so we use the aminoiclobrid does a pretty good job keep them under control. So it's kind of the same thing with the fruit trees, et cetera. They didn't get borers too. So look for at this point on your fruit tree some SAPs seeping out just spontaneously on the trunk, and then look underneath it and look at the hole and see if it's circular in nature, and that's an entry point and it could be a problem too. So typically they go after old, weak things. So one of my fruit trees are live one or I'm still alive. But anyway, so the fruit trees are oh they have a lifespan, so they do so, but the bores can get to be a problem. Another thing right now that people are interested in is a landscape plan. And from a little chip here, I got lots of them. Oh yeah, and I can email them or text them. I've done that a lot of texting to people.
Speaker 1: You know, there are people who've been thinking about this for a long time, sometimes years. Yeah, and they don't know what this is all about. They've heard about it and they're like, I don't now, Well, you know what Larry showed me here right here in the studio on his phone. What some of these things look like, these plants that he puts out for people, and they are just awesome. And you know what, you even have the price points on the plants that you.
Speaker 2: Have in every part of the yard.
Speaker 1: So this is not one of these things where you know, Larry's just doing a little sketcher does his homework and he really puts out a neat little plan for Oh my gosh, where is that?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, cool, i'd say, so.
Speaker 3: There's a oh yeah, so you can see what it looks like in real life.
Speaker 1: So that's that's you've got proportion, you got you know, everything going on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and really a lastscape plan should be tailored to the architecture of the house, the ins and outs, the windows, and they.
Speaker 2: Got to work with each other. Baby. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It has a compliments, so many of them that they got these big old bushes hiding the house, hide in the windows. You can't see out the windows for the back end of these big old hollis they put in there, or oversize box foot or something. So yeah, anyway, so you kind of play up a little bit, and it's supposed to compliment their house, to compete with it. It's a bit of an art to that. Even even the layout of the bed right there, it emphasizes the front door and there's one down there in the corner, and the way the windows are ranged too. You use little things in between the windows and so on. Sure, so it uh it. And on the entryway you put these big vertical things. This is the entrance you know, you gotta.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like a wafering.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, identity thing. Yeah, this is This is exactly where you come in the house. And it can make an old house look new again.
Speaker 1: It sure can, just a little bit of work. Let's go to the phone, Shair real quick. Hi, you're on with the Green Country Gardener. Your question or comment for Larry, Yes.
Speaker 16: Thank you. You're talking about a meticlop word, which made me think of a question I've been meaning to try to find the answer to. And what I'm targeting is bores. Trying to keep bores out of well almost everything around here, since I have a little bit of a bore problem. Yeah yeah, it gets frustrating, it's not boring, and so timing it each year. I also have bees, so timing it each year for after bloom stage and all of that so we don't don't affect the bees as it takes it up. But it has brought up the question of if plants taking up the medicloprid and it's going around my peaches and pairs and the cons does that get secreted in to the fruit and the nuts. Also, is that a problem.
Speaker 3: I've read some research on that, and actually between the flower and the tree there's what's called abscission layer, and it's on the leaves as well, Okay, and there's research being done. Some people deny it, and some people say it's true that it doesn't make it past that that point the abscission layer, Okay. In other words, when in the fall the leave falls off and the abscess and this is a almost a little quirky layer that apparently it doesn't go through. So the molecule molecule is probably a bit big for that. Maybe I don't know, but I hear pros and cons on that that.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: What the the the aminocloprid works on the on the nervous system of the insect, a factor that's unique to insects, not really mammals.
Speaker 16: So okay, so it wouldn't it wouldn't be working on my nervous system. Also, then I don't suppose no.
Speaker 3: Okay, what what little mike get past the position layer? It will hurt you, I read it out it will, but I haven't. I haven't heard anything any negative aspect of using it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 16: I'll probably still try to be as careful as possible with the bees. I mean putting it on after bloom stage on everything.
Speaker 3: I've also read things about the not about it not affecting the bees too, because that doesn't get past that layer.
Speaker 16: Yeah right, yeah, so it wasn't getting past it wasn't getting past this layer that it wouldn't affect the bees. But I don't think I'll take that chance.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely, there's something I don't do that on my fruit trees as they were from. If you will, but but I don't. I don't apply that until after the bosses are gone.
Speaker 16: Yeah, okay, all right, very good.
Speaker 6: That's what I was.
Speaker 16: That's what I was wondering, and you'd suddenly reminded me I needed to know. So thank you very much.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks for that's what we're here for.
Speaker 1: Way you try to get out all the valuable information you can ever want. Tell you what, Larry, we've got a big old time out coming our way, So we're going to come back with a little bit more of the Green Country Gardener program in a moment, and it will be after this four minute time out.
Speaker 17: Ascension Saint John Cardiology is a leader in hardcare, from complex procedures to routine screenings Our cardiologists care for hearts all over the region using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Our care teams listen to you and deliver the heartcare that's right for you closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at Ascension dot org, slash St John Hart.
Speaker 6: Jane Phillips and Bartlesville.
Speaker 18: Frank Phillips, the old man with barred wire nerves and the courage of a wolf, didn't realize his own capacity to love until after the death of his dear wife Jane in nineteen forty eight. He no longer heard her laughter in the mansion in town, nor enjoyed the long drives out to his beloved Woolarock where they would often go to share an evening dinner. After her death, he found himself waking to the cold reality of her absence and confided to others that his soul ached. More and more of Frank's time was being spent at the ranch, sitting on the front porch of the lodge and enjoying the magnificent view and likely reflecting back on an incredible life of personal and professional accomplishments. However, without his wife in the chair next to him, these simple joys became shallow to Uncle Frank. After her death, those around Frank soon discovered that he had one desire, and that was to build a mausolem at Woolarock to serve as a final resting place for Jane and himself. He had picked out the spot years before, a favorite spot that overlooked one of the beautiful lakes that dotted the grounds of the ranch, inspired by the memorial built for his good friend Will Rogers and Claremore, the mausolem soon became the primary focus of Frank's life. Once construction started on the masolem in nineteen forty nine, he personally came out every day to see how work was progressing. Frank wanted it within walking distance of the lodge, yet not directly in the public eye, which is why he chose the site above Elk Lake, one of his favorite fishing holes at Woollock. Built of native stone with no cut edges, the tomb appeared to spring from the side of the hill as if it was part of the terrain. Workmen blasted through eighteen feet of solid rock to form the burial chamber, and the twenty four square foot room was lined with a twelve inch steel reinforced concrete wall. The chamber was air conditioned and a telephone was installed inside. The mausolem is a circular rotunda outlined by eight columns of Saint Cecilia marble imported from Italy, which rises ten feet to a dome. The walls are covered with thousands of mosaic tiles, and in the center of the room is an eight pointed star formed by the different shades of marble. Construction took about a year, and as soon as it was completed, Frank had Jane's casket brought from White Rose Cemetery and a memorial service was held at the new mausolem. To his friends and staff, mister Phillips seemed happier than at any time in recent years. His final work was completed and he could return to the porch of the lodge, which he did until his death on August twenty third, nineteen fifty. The magic of Woollarock is a story worth sharing, and it can be found everywhere at this National treasure. Come see it for yourself and welcome home to Wollarock.
Speaker 12: It's Cabota Orange Days from America's number one selling compact tractor to zero turn mowers in the versatile rtvs. Get your perfect match delivered to your door, like the L thirty three to oh two tractor that will make your property dreams a reality. Hi Mike Maddox from Roman's Outdoor Power Now through June thirtieth, twenty twenty five, gets zero down zero percent APR for eighty four minths or up to three thousand dollars off select compact track. See the details at Camotaporrange days dot com see US or go to Cabota USA dot com for full disclaimer Roman's Outdoor Power. You're commoted Deal Highway seventy five, Bartlesville Independent's a wrong line and o'kikbota dot.
Speaker 15: Com your tune to the Voice of Bartlesville K one AM fourteen hundred and nighttime coverage at ninety three point three and ninety five point ONEFM.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Green Country Gardener program. Meeting is at eight fifty seven and our phone line open at one eight hundred seven four nine five ninety three six. We've had very good questions for from our audience today.
Speaker 3: What the one thing people are a little concerned about. We've had all this rain and everything's really nice. Well it's going to quit it is, and appeal what can I do to help save water in my landscape?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very deep soil preparation. Take that shovel and jump on it up and down. Should be that hard, right now? What you like it is? And try to get it turned over real good and put some peat, moss or compost or something like that. What that does is actually the battery to help hold water. In other words, it'll get really dry or get really wet. Well, this kind of if you look at it, if you if you do a graph line graph showing wet, dry, wet like that, that's the way it is. If you if there's anything you can do to flattnet that curve more of a smooth wave like that. Yeah, and then in your plants that will prosper and do a lot better because they're not under stress. Now people wonder why we go through so much trouble to do a ground prip moving during landscapes. Well that's one reason why. Is because because you need to put a little flywheel effect on the on the plus is a minus of available water on the plants. Once you get established in the galley, they're almost bulletproof because their roots are grown out in it. They're down deep in the soil too, and they can take good advantage of this.
Speaker 2: And you just got to give them a fighting chance, right, and add some mulch.
Speaker 3: On the surface too that that helped prevent evaporative loss. And don't skimp on it. You need two inches of moches. So I've had to have my crew go back and remote because they didn't put down enough on a project.
Speaker 2: Now then, oh you're a task list.
Speaker 3: I know they don't. They don't get anything past the old man. Let me tell you. Anyway you've got you've got to follow those practices and you'll have good success. And it's a lot of work. It's a lot of backwork. Like I said, I've been doing it for forty fifty years something like that. Hadn't hurt hadn't hurt my health any I mean no.
Speaker 2: In fact, it's kind of been hands dr.
Speaker 3: Out, not a bit really, so all that all that workout and exercise helps out a whole lot too. So anyway, so get to get that ground ready, to get it prepared. Anyway, come by the nursery and check us out. We've got all kinds of stuff over there the nursery right now. Flower we got flower big old flower pots and hanging baskets everywhere, and all kinds of annuals put in the yard and make it look pretty. And while you're there, get a bag of a bag of composts rather to help the plant out. And you got to really mix that into the soil pretty thoroughly to get it to work. That compost and the plants will love you for it, because when we do flower plants all that, we always add that to it. They seem to do real well with it too. It helps the water get down in there too. Anyway, Come by the nursery, check us out on the south side of the road, smacked between Madison Boulevard and Washington on the south side of the road. Talk at you, letter Tom, keep that shovel sharp.
Speaker 5: Better.
Speaker 18: Hearing starts at Advanced Hearing Care providing clearer sounds.
Speaker 13: Since two thousand and six, Google Advanced Hearing Care. To learn more.
Speaker 6: K W partles will