Speaker 1: Welcome Friends, Come podcast podcasting time.
Speaker 2: Jack Again, Bryan, they're talking.
Speaker 3: To Welcome to movie Film. It's episode three fifteen, brought to you by Mister Boy Productions and on behalf of my partner Brian Home. My name is Zachie Hassan, and I want to wish everybody a happy Superman Day to all who celebrate Brian. Yes, sir, how has Superman affected your life today today?
Speaker 2: Well, frankly, I've I've always enjoyed Superman, but I associate him honestly with you mainly most people do, Yeah, in the past several years. So it's it's something that I you know, I really enjoy the character, and I enjoy the films. I don't revisit them as much as I do, you know, like Batman and some other things. But like, i have a real fondness for Superman and I'm always rooting for Superman in his movies because I yeah, like I said, he makes me think of you and I want you to be happy.
Speaker 3: Well, well, I will see what happens in the next couple months. Yeah, I don't know how this was determined to be a Superman Day.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna ask, Yeah, this is April eighteenth.
Speaker 3: April eighteenth, in honor of Action Comics first issue on April eighteenth, nineteen thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Got It, Got It?
Speaker 3: Look at that makes sense?
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you had a chance to see this. They released a little behind the scenes featurette just about the new film where James Gunn and all the various other folks talking about, you know, why they embraced Superman as their lord and savior. I found it quite moving.
Speaker 2: And we're like and also a happy good Friday. So we're going to begin by talking about Wait, so, is there can some sort of like dessert or food or something that like Superman likes or Clark Kent likes where it's like, oh, well today, I'll go have like a brownie Sunday, Because there is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as a matter of fact, there's like a oh gosh, what is it. It's like a beef something or other strogan off beef no beef beef beef bersion has that O it's pronounced I don't know b o u r g u y g n O N beef.
Speaker 2: Version on borgaon. Okay, I'm seeing the first thing that comes up is a Julia Child recipe.
Speaker 3: That's right, So that is that is Superman's favorite dish.
Speaker 2: I can see it kind of like a stew looking Okay, it looks good.
Speaker 3: Yep, Superman went in doubt. Just kill a cow for Superman.
Speaker 2: He goes out with his laser eyes.
Speaker 3: Just just if you want to pay homage to Superman, just just murder a cow on his behalf.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's funny.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so hey, you know that movie is coming in a couple of months. I am excited because you know, now the hype train is starting to roll out. We're seeing the toys are starting to show up and the like the pre listings and stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, it's exciting. And by the way, speaking, I actually was going to bring this up because I thought this was a random fact. But speaking of murdering animals.
Speaker 3: If I had a nickel for every time Brian starts a conversation that way, well.
Speaker 2: No, I saw this thing on Reddit and I thought it was so interesting. I screen grabbed it and I was going to bring it up. But this is I'm now reading the headline and says today I learned Chilean sea bass was nearly fished into extinction after its appearance in the lunch scene in Jurassic Park. So after that movie came out, it elevated you know, the I guess Chilean sea bass, and then it was so sought after that it was nearly fished into extinction. But here's a fun fact. This is the top comment I have to give them credit. It says the Chilean sea bass is neither a bass nor Chilean. They just named it that to sound fancy because no one was buying it. It's actually called the Patagonian toot fish. It's very ugly and it's why you only ever see it. Fill aid.
Speaker 3: So all of that is true. Everything you just said is true.
Speaker 2: I googled it. I've found this from other sources as well. Yeah, this is I mean, you know you could. It's like you have to look at evidence and put it all together for the Jurassic Park timeline of it all, I'm sure, you know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it tracks.
Speaker 2: And that is kind of interesting that it's neither Chilean or a sea bass, because it does sound. I've seen it on menus since and in my mind, I'm like, ooh, Chilean sea bass. This is some fancy establishment, you know. But I just thought, you know, a little extra wrinkle for your brain.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say that we should spare no expense to use DNA technology to make sure it doesn't go extinct. But now that I find out it's been lying about its identity, it'sf that sea bass, right right? If that ugly ass.
Speaker 2: Fish, it does look tasty in that scene, I I we'll give it that.
Speaker 3: Well, they did spare no expense, that's true.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: What else? What else is going on?
Speaker 2: Well, I have to bring this up. Indiana Jones in the Great Circle. The video game just was released this week on PlayStation five.
Speaker 3: Oh it's out, Okay, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: He did. Yeah, so it's it came out I want to say in December or something on Xbox. That's right, And I know you and I have been patiently waiting for it to be on the platform that we own. And uh yeah, that's my plans this weekend, Like I have, you know, like an Easter lunch and everything, and then everything else is just plopping on the couch and diving into that game.
Speaker 3: And I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited.
Speaker 3: So I had no idea was out, but I'm ordering it as we speak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh great, yeah, I yeah, I came out yesterday. I downloaded it immediately.
Speaker 3: So when it comes to video games, would you do for PS five games, do you think it's better to have the physical media or to just get the digital download?
Speaker 2: All right, I'm laughing because my mom and I just had a conversation this week about how we take forever to make decisions, and literally yesterday I was going back and forth over and over and doing all these Google deep dives about like I don't know future proofings exactly it, but like, what's the best long term method of yeah, buying a video game? Because if you if disk drives eventually are you know, phased out in the PS six or something, Well, then I have this hard disk and I'll probably have to buy some sort of extension disk drive or something, which would be annoying.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to know.
Speaker 2: If you buy a digital copy, does that mean no matter how far you move forward, as long as you if your PlayStation account, you own it, right. But then of course if something happens with licensing, then it just disappears and you don't own it, you know. So it really is this debate online and people have different opinions. I'll tell you I chose digital and it's the first digital game I've ever bought. And the reason was I got really sidetracked with Spider Man two, and I've gotten back into it recently, and it's in the disk drive. And like I'm going to sound like a complete a hole, it just is the way it is. Yeah, it annoys me having to walk over there and put the disc in the but who cares whatever it's in there. But I thought, Okay, I don't want to take Spider Man out and then put Indiana Jones back in and take Indiana Jones out put Spider Man. So if I get the digital Indiana Jones, which you know, apparently best case scenario, I'll be able to pull down for my digital locker for years to come. I can keep Spider Man disc in the console and then I can switch over to Indiana Jones digital game, and coexists between those two games, you know, easily.
Speaker 3: And so I admire how much you've thought I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: I mean that, I hope maybe is proof that I'm not lying.
Speaker 3: I gave this a lot of thought. Do you have like drawings on a whiteboard.
Speaker 2: And like that Charlie Day always sunny. Mean, yeah, but that that's what I ultimately went with. And it was also kind of an experiment, like all right, well I haven't done this, so let's see. It's like future future proof you gotta you know, I guess, I mean, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Uh? Well, now I don't know. I was about to order the disc, but suddenly I'm I'm questioning everything. I'm wondering what happens. What if aliens invade and set off an EMP pulse, rendering all of our technology obsolete and we're in kind of a Battlefield Earth esque scenario. What if I want to play Indiana Jungle in the Great Circle. Then That's what I'm saying. How do I proof against that?
Speaker 2: All I'm saying is don't rule out that scenario. All the people out there who are like digital diehards.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, yeah I do. Hear. I hear that a lot. I serious, Like, people state this seriously. Oh I buy my stuff digitally? Oh well I by physical? Oh okay, well, what are you gonna do this? This is from the physical media people. What are you gonna do if, like, uh, the Internet goes out and and all the technology stops working, and I'm like, it is, I mean, it is still technology. They like, how do you think you're gonna play the disc?
Speaker 2: Right? Right? Right? Right?
Speaker 3: Right? Do you think you're gonna spin it on your finger? Like, like we should all plan for the potentiality of none of this working anymore at all.
Speaker 2: I think that makes complete sense. I will say for me, it was about convenience and also possible future proofing where it feels like we're on the cusp now, like the last days of hard disk drives.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's that's depressing you saying that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was very close to getting the disc because I also thought, well, you know, if I want to loan to my brother or something, you know, when I've done and you know, another case people make is for resale if you want to do that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, you can at least make some of your money back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I didn't think that all this time. I wasted internally in my brain going over these things would be content for today's episode.
Speaker 3: Who'd a thunk? Right? So sometimes we just go down these abnues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I can't wait to play. I mean it opens people who've already played already know this but it opens. You know, usually a game has to teach you the mechanics, so they'll put you through sort of a generic scenario where you get to figure out how to draw your gun or how to duck or how to whatever. And the version of that in this game is playing through the opening of Raiders of the Lost Arc. Wow, which is freaking awesome. Interesting, this is the game we've been long. It made me think of that Raiders Atari game where it's literally just five cubes, you know, going from left to right on the screen, and you're like, like, this is the game we've been waiting for, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well I was thinking about that, like, like, we're finally at a point where these licensed video games can reflect somewhat of the experience that we would have liked to have ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and also give us uh new stories and universes we love. I mean, this may be the best way to tell another Indiana Jones story at this point. Yeah, and from from what I understand from reviews, people think it does sit comfortably beside their favorite film.
Speaker 3: So andro okay, well to me, continued then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I actually I look forward to yeah, talking about it as we go through it.
Speaker 3: Well, what else you got.
Speaker 2: Saw a couple of things here. I'll just say real quick, I saw the movie Drop okay, which came out I think last week, and.
Speaker 3: It dropped at the box office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which you know, which is.
Speaker 3: Which is terrible. Obviously we don't we don't wish. No.
Speaker 2: No, it's a perfectly fine, like real time thriller. I you know. The plot for people who don't know, it's basically this, A widow goes on a first date, okay, and so she's getting back out there. She has a young son at home. You know, this is kind of a you know, a high stakes emotionally thing for her. And then in the middle of her dinner, she starts getting these air drops basically I mean this is in the trailer, but basically saying she needs to accomplish these tasks and eventually kill her date or they will hurt her son and so oh and you can't tell the guy, you know, So she's having to carry out all it's you know, it's like phone Booth or one of those movies where it takes place in one location and there's a lot of like weird things she has to do, and she has to be awkward in front of people just to get this stuff done. And it's by Christopher Landon. That was the big selling point for me because I really love the Happy Death Date.
Speaker 3: Happy Death Day, that's right.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of those. Those are really fun, inventive, original like horror comedies. And he was supposed to do the next Scream film and then that all kind of fell apart. So yeah, he was the main draw for me, honestly, And uh, you know, I would say it's it totally. It's totally fun and does the trick, but we'll probably fade from your memory the second it ends, which is not the worst thing, you know, especially for a movie like this, Like this is just a ninety minute diversion and I don't think it like raises the bar in this genre necessarily, but it is fun and uncomfortable and you're like, you know, what will she do? And who can you trust? And yeah, my friend and I watched it. We both were like, yeah, that was fun. We talked about it for about five minutes and then we moved on. I think, honestly, I think it's not even you know, a bad things, that's just what this is. This movie does the trick, so you know, and something else that was kind of interesting I wanted to bring up was this is the first movie I've seen in a really long time where the theater was full. Oh wow, okay, yeah, yeah, the box office didn't really like that, but my theater was full. Like I was right next to somebody and people were laughing and you know, together, and I was like, man, I forgot how fun this is?
Speaker 3: You know? Were they were they throwing popcorn at the screen and uh, with live chickens, you know, in their hands. No, no, no, none of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've I've a thought on that one. But now, you know, it becomes sort of this cliche talking point about trying to save the theaters. Not cliche, but it's just sort of like, there's nothing like the magic of you know, the lights dimming and being in a room full of strangers and participating in.
Speaker 3: Srea John Nicole Kidman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, there really is something to that. There's a real energy and it adds something to the experience. And it was it was kind of fun doing that.
Speaker 3: But what what theater was? It was it like a was it like a what do you call it? Almo draft house type thing?
Speaker 2: Or no, it was the Regal. I always go to the Regal.
Speaker 3: Just like a regular Okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is interesting because it kind of, you know, it's it's sort of I remember when Steven Spielberg and George Lucas predicted the fate of movie theaters about ten fifteen years ago, and they are absolutely correct where they said it's going to become less of a you know you go see everything and more of the bigger budgeted, you know, like blockbustering movies like that's gonna be it. Those are the only things that people are going to show up for, and it's going to be a tricky time. And that's kind of what I'm seeing happen. I mean, I'll go some nights to go see something and there's nobody, and then you know, I'll go another night and then it's packed and there's a huge line for the concessions and you just kind of can't predict it in a way. And I don't know. In my theater, it's the Regal and Sherman Oaks and it's remodeling, ok And I'm like, okay, cool, cool, I'm cool with that, but also like, don't overextend yourself if I don't want you to go away, you know, so whatever's the best use of your money. I'm happy, I'm stappy you're here, so we'll see. But I'm curious, actually, I mean we can just so I don't forget later. But with your screening of Sinners, was that crowded or well?
Speaker 3: I went in the afternoon, like three, so I guess for that time of day it was medium crowd. I would say, yeah, that makes sense. Yeah, yeah, you know, I'm definitely like if it's an option between a massively crowded screening and just something a little smaller. I'm reaching that point where I'm like, you know, I just don't want a bunch of people around me.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so funny. I mean I've gotten that way too, sort of. Yeah, And yesterday I was for Sinners. I was shoulder to shoulder with somebody and there was a little bit of like, this is uncomfortable, and then I thought, what are you talking about? Like it's how most movies have been your whole life, right, But it's just I don't know, maybe either getting older or the world's changed a little bit or a little bit of both probably Yeah, yeah, but two other things I want to talk about real quick. This was sort of unexpected. Our mutual friend Busha reached out to me one night and was like, Hey, I'm going to see this movie called The Ballad of Wallace Island, Like are you interested? And I knew nothing about this movie, but it was playing at Regal. I have the Regal Unlimited. You know, I've already paid for it, right, like more willing to experiment, and so I was like sure, And I really really liked this movie. Yeah. So basically I'm looking at the MDB summary, it says, an eccentric lottery winner who lives alone on a remote island tries to make his fantasies come true by getting his favorite musicians to perform at his home. So this is just a sweet, gentle little comedy. And you have this goofy guy, he's got all this money and he has there's like it reminded me a little bit of a mighty Wind, you know, with the Yushen Levy character and Catherine O'Hara, where it's like they used to be a duo, but they've had their complications and separated and this guy, it would mean a lot to him if they would reunite and play a concert for him. So the movie begins with the guy showing up first and he doesn't know what he's walking into, which is basically, this is not a concert for a thousand people. This is pretty much a concert for one, which is very uncomfortable, but he needs the money, and he also has to reunite with his musician partner played by Kerry Mulligan, who they obviously had some sort of complication in the past between one another. And this is just it's like ninety minutes. It's so charming and sweet and delightful, and I laughed a lot. I actually thought when it was over, it feels like the movie Once meets What About Bob meets Lost in Translation Wow, which is quite quite a comp but uh yeah, I just left in like the greatest mood and was I texted my parents, was like, you guys got to watch this. This is just a nice, feel good movie. I think if that sounds interesting to people, like just something like a really cozy film about you know, people and learning the value of relationships with one another, and even people you don't expect to find some sort of relationship with. It's just sweet and you know, music is at the heart of it in the power of music. And of course there's more going on than seems on the surface with all these people and just great. I mean, this is the kind of stuff you just wish. I'll get into this with Sinners, you know, like this variety at the Multiplex, you know what I mean, Like I want Captain American one thing. I want ballt of Walls Island in the other. I want Sinners in the other one. Like this kind of reminds me of that exciting time when we were growing up when you would get these sort of all these flavors, you know, And I think this sweet comedy is just a flavor I really really enjoyed right now because I haven't seen anything like it in a while.
Speaker 3: I want them all in one cinematic universe where they fight banos. That's That's what.
Speaker 2: If these were all released by like Sony or whatever Dizzy that is probably now in twenty twenty five, what would happen? You know? These these folks singers are using their guitars, you know, and like banging on them. But uh, but yeah, I'm really glad I checked this out and I definitely recommend it for people that are in the mood for something like this.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you and Amena would like it. Yeah, just a sweet, easy Friday night. Lastly, i'll just bring up I can't say much about it because it's just started, but I am back watching the Last of Us. Last of Us Season two just started again on HBO this past weekend, And uh, do you watch Last of Us? Sorry, I can't remember. I watched the first season, okay, and had not played the game, right, I have not played the game, okay. So I played the game, I mean over ten years ago and loved the game. I mean, it was a real part of the reason why I got back into video games in that moment, and just seeing how narrative driven and dramatic and emotional video games had become. I mean, I just got sucked into that world. And so I really enjoyed first season of Last of Us. But I also wondered I remembered all of it from the game, and so I was wondering how much I was just enjoying seeing the thing that I remembered, Like what, it doesn't stand up on its own as a TV series. You know, if you don't have you're not bringing that with it. And so with season two, I have not played the last of Us Part two, so I'm going into this kind of curious then if it will hold up for me strictly as a show. And so far, so good. You know, it's been interesting. I mean, I know the spoilers of Part two, and I guess I should say the reason I didn't play it after loving Part one so much is Part two, who I had heard, was very, very relentlessly dark and violent, and I just wasn't in the mood for that at the time. And people have still told me I need to get back to it, and it's really good and worth it, and I may at some point. I know this season I think is going to be not the entirety of Part two, but probably split Part two split up over maybe two or even three seasons. So maybe I'll get into this and then when it's done, I'll cue it up and be prepared for the rest of it. But yeah, I enjoyed going back. I enjoy seeing these characters. I know hard things are ahead, unfortunately, but yeah, it's very well done and I think it does a good job of just with this episode, Like I said, not having played the game narratively dramatically, I think it's really well done and resonant. But there's also moments, you know, where the character Elie like falls through a floor an abandoned grocery store that's really exciting and tension filled, but does remind me of the game, right Like, this feels like the game, wandering the aisles, something skittering over there, what is that, you know, making sure you have your weapon on hand. So it's kind of the perfect video game adaptation. Honestly, that's what.
Speaker 3: You're saying right now.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying right now. That's what I'm saying right now. Did you watch it only the first season?
Speaker 3: I haven't seen the second season, Okay, yeah, yeah, I'll probably just wait till it's done and then just do it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Not a bad not a bad idea.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, I mean I mentioned before about the pit speaking of Max series. Yes, and you know that the season is done, it has been renewed for a second season.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and and it's been it's been nice to see, you know, just a general such a generally positive response to to a relatively traditional show. And you know, the one thing that that that I you know, makes me uncomfortable a little bit. Is this the continuing sense that like the Michael Crichton estate kind of got hosed a little bit here? Mmm, insofar as this apparently began life as a as a you know, as an ER reboot, and sure it, you know, if I guess, you know, there's a lawsuit ongoing and we'll see what happens. So it's like, ugh, right, right, you know, like that that's not right. But but the show is stuff is still really good, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It feels like when shows become hits these days, everything is so fragmented. I feel like, oh, the people who enjoy this sort of thing are really liking this particular show or you know, right, And it's rare when something just broadly everybody seems to be watching and enjoying, you know, all different types people like horror, people like sci fi, people like whatever. And I feel like this is a show that I'm noticing all different types of people who like different types of things. Like you said, this feels like a throwback almost like traditional sort of show. And that makes a lot of sense in ways, because I'm noticing almost everybody I know who's kind of into TV is watching this and enjoying it. Yeah, so maybe, yeah, it's tried. True things tend to work, right hospital shows, and.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and the nice thing, you know, it is long enough to feel like a meal, not so long that you're like, oh god, do I want to commit to you know, twenty some episodes? Yeah, fifteen episodes. I think I think the show moves very at a brisk pace. And I mean, No Wiley, he's knocking it out, man, this guy, Like it's you know, he's been a great actor for decades now, you know, right, but you really you see his maturity, you know, it's it's not hard to imagine him as Carter, you know, and seeing the same level of experience, this this many decades later. You know.
Speaker 2: Now you're willing to say that under oath, I am not.
Speaker 3: I mean, the whole the whole discovery process is ongoing, and it definitely feels sketchy, Like I feel like we're we're one discovery request away from emails between John Wells and No Wiley being like, so this is our er reboot, right, not anymore t he you know, right?
Speaker 2: I mean it feels pretty obvious. So I guess the real question is did they differentiate it enough.
Speaker 3: Just well, that's what it's going to come down to, right, is the christen a state had some set of frozen rights about about er. So then you say, okay, here is another show set in an emergency room. Does that, you know, violate their frozen rights?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So obviously not right, But it's going to come down to, well, what was the the sequence of events that to this? You know? So don't I don't know. That's that's it's sketch, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think this is going to be my next show though. I And it's funny, like you said with Last of Us, now that it's all finished, I kind of like that I can do it at my pace if I were. Yeah, back to if I want to watch.
Speaker 3: One exactly fifteen all at once. Yeah, it's fifteen, they's fifteen episodes.
Speaker 2: It feels good. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm trying to think because a lot of my shows are ending, like Severn's nineteen twenty three whatever, so like I'm ready for I'm watching the studio. Yeah, join that Last of Us? But yeah's treaty.
Speaker 3: Did you watch the last episode of nineteen twenty three?
Speaker 2: I did? Did we talk about this or no?
Speaker 3: I we we talked about.
Speaker 2: We didn't talk about the ending, maybe just generally, Yeah, yeah, what did you think?
Speaker 3: I thought it ended well? I thought I liked it.
Speaker 2: I think so too. Yeah. I feel like season two, like I think I said, like, it felt like it was spinning its wheels a little bit because it was like, we need characters to get from A to B, and it felt like every episode was like what are they gonna do to make sure they don't get to be today?
Speaker 3: You know, and it was starting. The thought I had is that Timothy Dalton's character has some very specific peccadillos. Yeah, yeah, right, And and I'm kind of it felt to me like maybe Taylor Sheridan was telling on himself a little bit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about that. I mean, like, sexual assault isn't just like a feature of this character, like it's his plot. Like literally the entire season, it just keeps going back to him, and it's always about how he's like torturing these like prostitutes. Yeah, and I'm like, this is not a plot, this is just yeah right.
Speaker 3: It feels like one of those things where somebody is like, what isn't everybody into this kind of thing? They're like no, oh my god, no, you know, like yeah, yeah, on the creative end, you know that all being said, I don't know if you talk about this, but but I mean, by the time the show ends, I'm like the Brandon Sklenar.
Speaker 2: Yes, this guy is a star man dude. Yes, well yeah that so just real quick to agree with you. I really like the finale, Like it almost feels like, yeah, it'd been nice if this had either been four episodes or maybe one of those you know, you end the series with a movie kind of thing, because I really liked the last episode a lot. I think it built to a head in a great way. I thought all the characters and their decision making made sense and was interesting. But yes, Sclenar, he is in Drop, he's the male lead in that, and he's that right. Yeah, I brought how funny my you know, liking him from nineteen twenty three to this, and I thought he did a really good job in that. Okay, so I'd be happy to see more of him for sure.
Speaker 3: And he's in that Blake Lively movie right, oh, you know, the one with all the with all the kerfuffle.
Speaker 2: It ends with us or that's it. It ends oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah you have have you seen that movie?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, yeah you no. At this point, it's like a point of pride now that I haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: Well, I did see something where some tweet or whatever posts said that Sclenar was Baran Walmart Glenn Powell, Glenn Powell and did you see his response?
Speaker 3: I didn't even see that. I'm just before you even got to the thing, I figured that's probably who was in reference.
Speaker 2: To Well and s Glenar was like, well, everybody loves a bargain. I mean, I can I like him anymore?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Right, a perfect response. Yeah, that was genuinely like the totality of nineteen twenty three. It's like, no, this guy, he's got presence, you know, yeah, totally god places, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I've seen him floated for like Batman. I can't say I quite see that.
Speaker 3: Dude who doesn't get floated for Batman.
Speaker 2: I know he feels a little I mean, you know, i've mostly seen him in nineteen twenty three. He feels a little too folksy for me for Batman. But I you know, who knows. But yeah, I like him good presence.
Speaker 3: He held his own opposite Harrison Ford.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, right, someone who's like showing like real like badass presence opposite Harrison Ford. That's like a good test right at any past?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. So, uh, hey, we got some listener letters, Brian, Oh great, let's do it. I agree. You have been after for me eighteen thousands all addressed.
Speaker 2: That you've got mailup.
Speaker 3: Hey that that that was pretty nice?
Speaker 2: What was that? That was fun?
Speaker 3: Did you do that?
Speaker 2: You know what I did?
Speaker 3: I'm impressed.
Speaker 2: We've been talking off air about having bumpers for our segments for a very long time and you've been very patient and checking in. Like so, Brian was bumpers and I've been over months looking over music and clips and things, and finally I was so overjoyed to to send you these this week and they passed the Zachi test. So hopefully people enjoy.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're selling. You should have been like, oh, that's just something I threw together.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm gonna credit all the sweat that went into it.
Speaker 3: Well, well, thank you for doing that, and thank you everybody for writing in. We always appreciate hearing what you have to say and you know I mentioned this before. You know, we've got many of our commentary tracks are up on YouTube, and so we have new audiences discovering those, which is always it's a treat for me. I love that. And here is a comment we got from Luke's mail twenty four on our commentary track for Jaws two. Brian, Oh, okay, well this is this is what you said. He says, great insights into Jaws too. I've actually read the novelization and I actually think the movie we got was a bit more stronger. There's a boat race which comes late in the book where the shark action finally takes hold and then Brody goes to work. I think the Shyer performance in the movie is actually quite underrated and a great paranoid performance. What could have been an utter disaster of movie is better than its reputation suggests. I definitely agree with that. But Jaws three and Jaws the Revenge are awful. Although the roar the shark makes is actually the sound effect battle Cat makes in He Man, which is really funny. I think that's true. I think wow, Like in Jaws the Revenge, Yeah, there's actually a moment where Michael Caine jokes about the cholesterol levels of the shark in Revenge again just gold Jaws. The Revenge is I mean it is a biblical disaster.
Speaker 2: I've not seen past two.
Speaker 3: Well I think that's that's good, that's smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean at some point, you know, we guessed every so often on the Is It Jaws podcast? That's Paul Spataro, and like I sometimes he has this really ingenious sort of method where we'll talk about a film and then we rate it is it Jaws? Like is it excellent? Is it Jaws two? Is it Jaws three? Or is it Jaws four? And sometimes I have to like make my best guess of what a Jaw three would be because I've not seen Jows three. So yeah, yeah, at some point, I mean I have you know, you just got.
Speaker 3: To do it, I think, right, I think just to have it as part of your like information rolodex, you know, in your in your brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I I I think I said this in our commentary track. I was like, if they would have stopped at Jaws two, we would we would talk today, you know, uh, sixty years later, fifty years later, whatever the fifty years later sorry about the excellent Jaws and it's and it's pretty good sequel.
Speaker 2: Like French Connection, French Connection two or something exactly.
Speaker 3: That's exactly. It would be like Jaws one is great, Jaws two ain't bad either, that's it. But because you got some two shit ass sequels that are freaking awful. Yeah, yeah, Jaws two, Jaws two, which asked nothing of us expect all it offered was entertainment and escapism. It got lumped in, It got shuffled off to the kids table. Yeah, with three and four.
Speaker 2: That's true, isn't it. Yeah, if there's a I want to say, there's these DVD or what DVD, Blu Ray four K like sets that come out and Jaws is always on its own and then and two, three, four come out in their own little sets. So yeah, you're right, You're right, it got shuffled off and it.
Speaker 3: Is orders of magnitude better than the third on the fourth one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that comes up a lot in conversation about the matrix right where people wonder is Matrix one diminished in some ways in memory because of sequels that people didn't like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say so probably, yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe to some degree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that's a tough one though, right, Like, like some movies are like that. Other like I think RoboCop, for example, is still very highly regarded and people just ignore the sequels, right, it's not dragged down by the sequels. Yeah, yeah, you know maybe because with the matrix, the fact that it's the watchousekis, it's all the watchousekis so right, you can't make that mental separation of like, well those other ones they weren't involved with or something like that.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Anyway, thank you for that. And then here's a comment we got from Matt ev with regards to our last episode. This was episode three fourteen. He says, another fab listened Zakie and Brian thought you might enjoy this review of Minecraft from my daughter's friend. She said, quote, while I was watching it, I was thinking, I don't even hate this, I just hate that it exists. I hate the world that birth did. All right, Okay, bear in mind we say that as I read that. You know, Minecraft movie has surpassed three hundred million at the domestic box office. It's well on its way to a billion at the global box office, and we are likely in store for several more Minecraft adjacent movies, you know, in the next days and months.
Speaker 2: Well, first things first, I adore that review, so thank you for sending that in. That was Chef's Kiss and pretty much all I need to know. So you have not seen it, No, it's so funny because I I mean, the thing that I know most about it right now is the unruly audiences, yeah, right, which I don't love. I mean, it's such a I was listening to another podcast and they were debating this, is it not the worst thing having popcorn on the floor because people are showing up and excited about movies, especially a younger generation, which we're seeing less and less, And I mean, no, I'm never gonna be okay with the popcorn on the floor thing.
Speaker 3: That's just like a decent right, This is exactly I was having this discussion with somebody. It's like, oh, people are going and it's people's job to clean up. I'm like, why don't you just shit on your seat while you're there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, well, what if you were throwing a party. You invited people to your house and they had a great time, but they were taking like soda cans and beer bottles and just spraying it everywhere. But it's like, well, at least they had a good time, you know, and like, oh yeah, well as I like have to, you know, clean my couch.
Speaker 3: You know. Seriously, I'm like, we have lost several threads here clearly as a civilization.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By the way, I do want to say, in this particular movie, if people want to get up and cheer and scream and whatever lines, go for it. That's I'm all for that.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely absolutely when you're when you're making a big mess that you are not going to clean up. Yes, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree. So it's it's sort of a double edged sword. But I I do love that there's a movie that a younger generation is excited to go out and see. I don't know if it's any good or not, you know, I I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, look, I mean bottom line, you make five Nights at Freddy's, people showed up. You make Minecraft movie, people showed up. It's like, hey, so here's here, you know, Holly, stop regurgitating ship from the eighties and nineties. Yeah, yeah, because because some of them windows is closed now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or going back to what I was saying earlier, like yeah, do that, and do this, and do the other thing and make Ballot of Alls island and make drop and make sinners like like.
Speaker 3: And have them team up and fight. Then Oh yeah exactly. But I'm just.
Speaker 2: Saying like, we don't need everything to fit into like three categories. Yeah, you know, so, I.
Speaker 3: You're screaming into the wind, Brian, I.
Speaker 2: Am literally it's hitting me back in the face and then blowing away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like the ashes.
Speaker 2: In The Big Lebowski, you know. But yeah, I don't know. Have your kids seen it?
Speaker 3: Uh? Yes, they did, Yeah, they were. They were, Oh you saw it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry I forgot Yeah you your your soul left your body.
Speaker 3: I did. Yeah, I watched. I had an existential crisis while watching this movie, as I was like, is this it is this? Where is this where we're at? Is this what we're doing? And it's a shame because I and I think I said in my review, I liked Jack Black in it. I like Jason Momoa in it. I just like I'm I I'm like, we've seen Barbie movie, We've seen Lego movie. It is possible to take these brands and do something special and unique with them, so like why not strive for that that is that is upsetting to me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean I I would be okay with this just being like a meme movie if there were other options that weren't right, like, if there were things aimed at this aged audience that were like solid story, character, etcetera things, And this just happens to be the goofy, let's just make memes out of it thing. Yeah, but you just hope that this isn't the lesson. So it's like, well, we do have this interesting idea for you know, targeted at this audience, but let's you know, this is too much, We're taking too long to get to this thing, or this character is talking too much here, Like we've got to follow the mind cre model and just me me memes. Like I wouldn't want that to be the lesson people take from this.
Speaker 3: Right right? You know? Here, here's what I'm gonna say. I I I question my own reaction, where like how pissed off can I be about this movie that's clearly not aimed at me? Right?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: So I try to contextualize that as best I can, you know, like, Okay, well, this is I'm you know, I'm forty five. I'm not the target aut into Minecraft. So here's if I don't like it. If people and then I'm hearing like, oh, it's a great theater experience, but you just leave it in the theater, and I say, well, what's wrong with that? Also? Yeah? Right, so you know it's like we've talked before about Avatar, where that's the big you know critique. Oh but you don't remember the names of you know, the main characters or whatever, and and you know the response I have now is well, so, but yeah, like you know, the first one came out, it made a bajillion dollars. Maybe you didn't think about it in the fifteen years between. But then the second one came out and it made a bajillion dollars too, and others people went, they had a good time, and so what if they're not you know, wearing you know, Jake Sully T shirts or whatever. I kind of agree with that.
Speaker 2: I mean, the second movie made me realize, yes, that that's what these movies are. These are theater experiences.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I haven't seen two since.
Speaker 3: Since the theater You and I both liked it.
Speaker 2: In the theater yep, and you can bet I'm going to be there for three right. So, and it almost harkens back to an older age, right where movies just existed in theaters and everybody you know, gone with the wind making a bajillion dollars and then it wasn't like it was going to be on TV or whatever then in a year and people could rent it or whatever. It's like you just went to the theater for this experience, and so that's what this is. It almost feels old school in a way. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, I'm not saying Minecraft is Avatar Steekler, but but if it's giving people a fun theatrical experience and they leave that experience in the theater, who gives a ship? Fine?
Speaker 2: And by the way, it's hugely profitable, so it's not even like it's some sort of you know, artistic experiment that's not paying off.
Speaker 3: That's right, It is paying off. Yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah, moving on, Hey, we got some headlines extra.
Speaker 2: Scoop, what another one?
Speaker 3: Hey, look at this? Look at this guy? You've been busy?
Speaker 2: What is that in a phantom menace? Or this is getting out of hand now there are two of them?
Speaker 3: Now do the voice Brian?
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm just shaking my head quiet now.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you Brian for creating that bumper as well. No problem. So hey for first up, we had new trailer drop for Fantastic four First Steps. Yeah, do you want to play some of the audio from that? Sure?
Speaker 4: Wow, folks, we all know the story. Four brave astronauts head off into space and come back forever changed our city, our planet.
Speaker 3: Owe a debt to these intrepid souls.
Speaker 4: Well we can never repay them, we can certainly celebrate them.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Fantastic More.
Speaker 2: Hey you b you Fantastic More.
Speaker 4: Are you the protectors of this world?
Speaker 3: Yes? We are. Your planet is now marked for death. That's my fault. I stretch the bounce of space and they are hurt. We will face this together. We will fight it together as a family. Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm dying to know what you think of this Marvel's first family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, well I'm I'm very excited to see. First of all, we got our first look at mister Fantastic stretching m and it looks like about what you'd expect, which is why they just kept it like far away from the screen, Like, I don't think there's any good way to depict mister Fantastic's powers on screen in like, like unless you know, you do Elasta Girl or something on Sure Incredibles, that's one thing, But I just I just don't think there's a good way to make him look cool.
Speaker 2: Well, and in the movie, when you see it over and over and you're living in that reality, it probably plays just fine. But I can see in the trailers you're only getting one thing to scrutinize for the next couple of months. Maybe you'll hold back a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I like the dynamic. I do find it interesting that it feels being a mister fan, it feels like they have kept mister Fantastic the most under wraps, you know, in terms of dialogue and personality. What do you mean, It's just like it seems like the focus is more on the other three. And I'm that's just my sense. I could be wrong just from the trailer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's you know, I hadn't clocked that, but yeah, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Like it's a big focus on Vanessa Kirby, which is fine by me, totally fine, absolutely, one hundred percent Joseph Quinn seems like a great Johnny Storm and I already like what we saw of the thing, but I want to see more of mister Fantastic. I like mister Fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. He seems kind of like the observer everything in this, you know, yea, the people around him, the action around him. That's a good point. I didn't think of it, think of it, but.
Speaker 3: Ultimately it's you know, this is setting up some kind of multiversal shenanigans. We know that this is an alternate Earth, so it's kind of like watching this, I'm sort of going in with the presumption that their world will end.
Speaker 2: Yes, because how would they not have been referenced right in previous Marvel movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they have to somehow end up on og MCU Earth through the course of you know, the whatever the Avengers movies have planned. And so that for me, I think, I think it's sort of an elegant way of incorporating the Fantastic Four into the MCU because it's like this preserves their status as they were the pioneers, right as opposed to if you if you do their origin now you know, when we're like, you know, almost twenty years into this, then it's like what makes them special? Sure? Yeah, but it's like, you know, I love the little montage they've seeing the trailer that thank you Fantastic for thing like they changed the world.
Speaker 2: I like that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's something different, you know. Yeah, I love the esthetic, the whole, the whole future retrofuturistic aesthetic that they've created. I think that's really cool.
Speaker 2: I think that's I don't know a ton about fantas. I've never read the comics. I've seen the one Fox movie, not the second one. Well, actually I forgot. I did see the twenty fifteen. Yeah, but I I just don't know a lot about these guys. But what makes me excited about it is, yeah, the different time period, Like you said, the aesthetic of it. It just looks different. And I'm still enjoying superhero movies. But at this point, you know, I was thinking about the Thor sequel that had Natalie Portman in it, which wasn't very well received, and I was remembering that I wasn't as hard on it, and I was trying to remember why, and I think, frankly, just because it felt different. Yeah, And I think anything that's different is going to get my attention and make me just inherently kind of enjoy it a little bit more. And this feels very different in a way that I'm excited about. So yeah, I'm looking forward to this.
Speaker 3: I mean, hey, look, I'm sure the Marvel folks are hoping that there's more of you, you know, people who are willing to give it a shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you know.
Speaker 3: Oh, we actually talked about this.
Speaker 2: Whether or not Captain America Brave New World reformed or performed.
Speaker 3: It's still undecided. I don't think we have I don't think we have clarity yet on that right, I would.
Speaker 2: Say that I doubt it performed the way that they saw it on their vision board. Yes, I agree with that, and so I think.
Speaker 3: But it's not an outright embarrassment.
Speaker 2: Not an outright embarrassment. No, And I yeah, this will be an interesting test. You know, they're trying something that is a little different, feels fresh in an interesting way, and it features characters that people have been long awaiting. So how does this do? I'm very curious.
Speaker 3: See one thing, I'll say I've been saying this for a while and I'm probably on an island, but every New trailer we see if thunderbolts gets me more like, yeah, you know what, I'm ready for this.
Speaker 2: I think me too. I think me too. I was a little cynical about it, like I think the sort of snark was putting me off a little bit where I was like, I've seen this, like cynical over it, rag tag people who didn't want to be there, but then they show up and save the day, Like you know what.
Speaker 3: Are we some kind of thunderbolt that's risk? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, I mean I was like, I know this, and I gotta be honest the uh I'll just say it because either I'll be proven right or wrong. But uh, what's the guy from Harbor? Yeah, Harbor, I knew you were not feeling it like it's you know, it's a very like it's just not my my flavor. Though I think.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think it's gonna be one of those things where a little goes a long way. So it's like if they modulate the supply of David Harbor, like you know, boris bad novving it up, Yes, it could be amusing, then it could work totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I like Florence p a lot, and you know the thing that always gets me in the trailer. Two that I really like is the I don't know his name, but the Captain America.
Speaker 3: Yes John Walker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, him looking at the article being like, not Captain America, you suck. You know. I'm like, oh, okay, well this looks fun, Like I want to see these people feeling down and out and then showing up and getting people wrong like that. I think I could enjoy.
Speaker 3: Well, And I feel like this movie may end up doing that. Yeah, you know, because I don't think people are expecting a ton from it, and you know, it would be nice to have something a little more organic where potentially, if it's a decent flick, this is all contingent on that where people watching it like no, it's hey, it's pretty good, and then just kind of a bottom up word of mouth hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and they're going to feature in the Avengers movies.
Speaker 3: Right so they yeah, at least in Doomsday.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so a better work.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll be talking about it in our next regular show, Wow count It Fast. Yeah, so that's exciting. But hey, you know, this week is Star Wars celebration Brian Yes in Japan in Japan, So why don't we pipe in some of that music. Oh yes, So talk to me. What are some of the big Star Wars announcements we got this week?
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like the biggest one that I'm seeing everywhere is we have a title for the upcoming Sean Levy movie starring Ryan Gosling, which.
Speaker 3: Is Star Wars Starfighter.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, and that's going to be coming May twenty eighth, twenty twenty seven. Yes, And I mean you just say Starfight, Star Wars Starfighter, the movie.
Speaker 3: From the director of Night at the Museum.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People are kind of all over the place with him.
Speaker 3: Maybe I like Sean Levy, I should say. I think he's very good at the types of movies he makes.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm gonna say. He kind of reminds me of Chris Columbus in that way. Yes, absolutely, you know what I mean, And like, maybe not all of it I connect with, but I think he's a very director. And if he's with a thing that I'm inclined to enjoy, it's probably going to be a good version of that. I mean, that's I don't know if it's like a weird hot take.
Speaker 3: But like he did a real steal, which is as far as I'm concerned is a damn fun movie.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, Yeah, So I mean I get it. Not everything he does is going to be for everybody, but Deadpool versus Wolverine was a good version of that, right, yep, Yeah, anyway, but yes, a starfighter movie I think is interesting for a lot of reasons. One, I kind of want to see top gun in space. Well, you know, I don't know what it is, but I'm assuming it's going to be about pilots. And I want to see dog fights with X wings and tie fighters and things like that. And also we know for sure it is not connected to the Ray movie. This is not the Ray movie they were talking about, that's right, So I'm curious. Oh, and it's going to happen post the.
Speaker 3: Rise of Skywalker.
Speaker 2: It's gonna like in the timeline, in the timeline, So I what does the universe look at that point? Who are they fighting? You know? Kind of curious about that. Do Jedi factor in the forest? Does any of that factor in? This is just a pilot's movie in space, don't know, but all the ingredients sound enticing to me.
Speaker 3: What about you? Well, a couple things that we talked about this before, right, Ryan Gosling is a big enough star that he does not have to do a movie like this.
Speaker 2: That's a yes totally.
Speaker 3: He does not generally do franchise movies, with the exception of like Blade Runner and I guess The fall Guy. We could think of that as one. So that has me interested. What's the Star Wars premise that got him involved? And I think a lot of people would turn up just because of that. The other thought I have is is you know this is what is its? Two years from now? Just about right a Memorial Day of twenty twenty seven. Yeah, so how far along are they in prep? Because that means they need to start right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, you assume they have a script? Well you assume you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, Bryan, I like, I had to stop myself.
Speaker 2: But a concept that enough people agree on, you know that even Ryan Reynolds or Ryan Reynolds Ran Gosling will step on the stage at celebration and be like, yeah, we're doing this. This will be two years. There's something happening.
Speaker 3: So my question is this thematically or narratively similar to that Patty Jenkins movie that they were developed.
Speaker 2: I thought about that and I was wondering if it's well, if we have an er the pit situation here where you know, there was a colonel and they're like, well what if this instead? I don't know, yeah, curious.
Speaker 3: So that's twenty twenty seven, and then twenty twenty six Memorial the weekend is going to be Mandalorian Grogu movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, which I don't think they released anything officially, but I did see some like bootleg pictures. You know, It's funny. I kind of fell off from that show.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, I cannot muster a ton of enthusiasm for this movie.
Speaker 2: I agree, although I will say seeing the images made me be like, well, I do want to see ad at Lockers, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like I mean, I want to see the movie. I'm just like I was, literally I was thinking about this earlier this morning, where I'm like, am I am I like chomping at the bit to see ding Jarn on screen on the big screen.
Speaker 2: That particularly No, you know what I mean that I think I agree with you. I, like I said, I fell off from that show. It had its moments. I really did enjoy a bunch of it from the first two seasons, but then I just I don't know, didn't feel the need to keep going. But and maybe most of my enthusiasm is just going back to the Star Wars universe in a movie theater versus I need to see what the Mandalorian or din Jarren is up to.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, seeing those images, I was like, oh, neat. And I've said before that I'm not excited about this movie. So, like I said, I think, yeah, I think the Star Wars of it is certainly enough to make me at least have a little bit on my enthusiasm bar have it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wiggle a bit. I mean, look, at the end of the day, I'm just happy to get sort of the Star Wars movie pipeline churn in again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as long as there's a thoughtfulness behind it. I mean I think that should go without saying probably, but you know what I mean, Like I don't want just like, okay, we need a slate the board. The board members are demanding three.
Speaker 3: I mean that clearly has not been the case because it's been six years already since the last one, so they're clearly taking time to grow.
Speaker 2: Some roses in, probably because they learned lessons the hard way. Unfortunately, you know, so hopefully, Yes, lessons learned, Let's move forward with some thoughtfulness.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, and it's like this Ray move we've been talking about. I mean, there is no no new news about that as far as I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder. I mean, it's still going on, it's.
Speaker 3: Still happening, And that's my point. I'm like, just I mean, just do it when it's time, right, Like, yeah, you know, I'd rather I mean, look, here's the reality. The sequel trilogy is a wounded beast. Yeah, forever, like you did that forever. You had one shot and you squandered that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For as much as I do not mind the sequels, I want to be very clear about that, but in terms of the perception and in terms of what those movies could have been, you know, it's a lot of missed opportunities.
Speaker 2: Missed opportunities, and I mean I think it's undeniable. It did a lot of harm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know so well. Actually, speaking of Star Wars, I should say, you know, the new season of and Or is about to drop. Yeah, as we record this and and when we talk about to me, I'm not going to get into it too much, but all I will say is having seen all the second season. I think if you put and Or the totality of and Or plus Rogue one, you have the best thing Disney has done with the franchise in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Really in my okay, you know, okay, I well, I really enjoyed and Or season one. Yeah, and I just I hate it. I hate that I've become this way. But it's just it used to be anything Star Wars. I was there with my shirt on, you know, my Star Wars shirt, first in line, my foam finger.
Speaker 3: I was there with my pants off. That's how excited I was.
Speaker 2: But now I'm a little like, all right, all right, I need tell tell me more, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And that's that's a big shift for me.
Speaker 2: So but I liked and Or season one a lot, and with season two, I was like, of course I'm gonna watch it, but what do people think I'm gonna you know, tell me more? And hearing that makes me very excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the thought that occurred to me having just watched it yesterday, and I'd be curious to hear your take. I was like, I finally cracked what and Or is why it works for me? I'm like, it's it's Star Wars by way of Christopher Nolan, not only in terms of the narrative approach, but also the stylistic approach. Interesting, you know, And what I like about it is that it's it's clearly it is of Star Wars. It exists within the universe that we know, but but it keeps the fantastical elements really at arm's length. So you know, it's not about the syth and and the Jedi and people you know, floating and whatnot. Not, not that we don't love all of that, but there's nearly a lightsaber to be seen, right, And instead, what we really get, what I find so fascinating is it's it's a depiction of the the mondanity of fascism, m like how the ordinariness of it and how that gets just absorbed into the bloodstream of society, Like how does how does somebody like like Palpatine take over? Because the bureaucracy exists to allow it, right, And and you know that that's the genius of this this show, in my opinion, and and you know, it's it's why Rogue One works so well. But the the inner workings of how a rebellion begins to grow and all of that stuff, you know, right right, I think I think it's it's a terrific Let me put this away there. There's uh, there's this great supporting cast of various you know people. There's one episode of and Or and Or is not in it at all, zero, But it's fascinating, okay because the other characters and plotlines are so interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. I was talking to my kid this morning. You know, I'm sure you're you're somewhat aware of what's going on right now with this this prison and El Salvador and you know, this poor guy who apparently is not part of a gang, but he's been shipped there. And I was reading about this prison and how like these people are putting these these Each room has like one hundred people in it that they have cots with no mattresses. It's just just you know, hard and the lights are on twenty four to seven, and I'm like, this is I was like, that sounds horrific. And literally I was talking to my son this morning. I was like, remember the prison in the first season of and Or. M that's less bad than this real prison, right right, because they get to sleep yep yep. I was like, so that's where we're at right now on the spectrum. We're worse than the Empire. But it is it is fantastic. I truly think that in the years and and you know, however long ahead, like people look at and Or is a very special and or plus Rogue one is this very special slice of Star Wars that's just unique all to itself.
Speaker 2: Like the promise of what we could do with someone owning Star Wars and being able to make television shows. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: You know, one thing I will say, you know, my man Jimmy Smith's I guess was unavailable to reprise his role as Bill or Ghana hm, and so they replaced him with a very very good casting. I would consider this a lateral move with Benjamin Bratt. Hmmm, who is He's Benjamin Bratt. He's great, great actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, of course, my man Jimmy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder why, you know, probably unavailable. It's weird because he was in he was in Rogue one, and he was in Obil and Kenobi, so he's not averse to coming back. So I don't know what happened. Kind of a bummer I don't like seeing the legacy characters, you know, shifted around like that. And it's especially weird because this leads right into Rogue one.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And I mean this is like so pivotal, Like this is a story that focuses on, you know, his business or like the arena of his business. So it's nice to see him.
Speaker 3: That's the thing, Brian. That's what's so frustrating is like Bail Organa has never gotten more to do than in this, right, And I'm like, this is like all the other stuff was like paving the way for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And again I want to emphasize Benjamin Bratt is great. I love Benjamin Bratt, but it's Jimmy Smith's man.
Speaker 2: Come on, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Other announcements that I'm seeing so far at this point, we're recording Friday Morning, April eighteenth, two animated series I'm not going to bury the lead Star Wars Young Jedi Adventures Season three announced, Wow, and that's coming to Disney Plus this fall. So and then also all as in Darth Maul Shadow Lord, an animated series focusing on Darth Maul.
Speaker 3: Curious about that's all we know? We don't know when it's set or like that's it.
Speaker 2: I'm not pretty.
Speaker 3: Phantom menace or you know, like what's the is his origin? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Not sure? Sorry. The thing I have in front of me just has the announcement of it. Okay, but yeah, yeah, I mean that's like I said. There could be other things, and if there's big announcements, we'll talk about them. But that's what we got so far. I think you know what I want.
Speaker 3: And I've said this before. We're doing more of these animated things. Do an animated series set between the original and the sequel trilogy that gives us new canonical adventures of Han, Luke and Lea.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, if, of course, goes without saying, if it's good, If that's they can come up with the best version of that, sign me up right.
Speaker 3: Yes, it feels like a no brainer. You know, I don't know why they're sitting on that. Get it. Troy Baker to do Han's voice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who he did the voice of Indiana Jones in a Great Circle and he sounds incredible.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. Yeah. There's also the James Mangold movie that's in development.
Speaker 2: Right, is that that was something? I don't have it in front of me, but I did read and I don't know who said it, if it was Lucasfilm officially, but basically, yeah, a lot of those past projects that have been announced that sort of feel like they're like in a limbo or something, those are still on the table apparently.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that was like The Dawn of the Jedi or some such thing. Very curious, very curious that that could be interesting, could be Yeah, well, hey, we've got a brand new release in theaters right now, so hey, why don't we talk about that on the other side of this, And now we're pleased to bring our feature presentation and we are back and you know who else is back? Brian?
Speaker 2: Who's that? Why?
Speaker 3: It's why? It's that that Titanic team of Ryan Cougler, Michael B. Jordan, and Michael B. Jordan. Uh Yes, Sinners is in theaters right now. He seems to have opened pretty strong, just based on based on the Thursday night screening. Seems to be, you know, a good start. I'm curious what word of mouth is going to look like. For for a while it was at one hundred percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
Speaker 2: I saw that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't I don't know where it's at now.
Speaker 2: But yeah, thoughts are like who's first, you go first, I go first. Uh, well I'll start with this.
Speaker 3: I went into this one so I knew I knew nothing about the movie going in, not one thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you hadn't even seen a trailer.
Speaker 3: Didn't want to single trailer. I literally I was like Ryan Coogler, Michael B. Jordan, Ryan Cougler is first of all, He's like instant sale for me, no matter what. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We've been watching his stuff since Fruitvale Station.
Speaker 3: For since fruit Fail. Yeah, so I'm like, well I'm already watching it anyway. So it wasn't even like a conscious choice. I just missed the first trailer and then I was like, well, whatever, I'm just not gonna watch anything. And so I had no idea going into this anything about not setting not one thing wow, one thing wow? Okay yeah uh. And by the time it ended, I was like, well, I think that's probably one of my favorite movies this year. Like by the time the year is up, I mean it is like it's a B movie, but it's like A It's like an A it's an A approach to a B movie. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Okay? Not to interrupt, but because I have something so similar to say, I'll just add Yeah. I went into this not I'd seen the trailer, but I wasn't sure what to expect. I was like, is this a horror movie? Is like a prestigee movie? Like I don't, I don't even know what I'm getting into, And even watching the movie, like the first hour of the movie, I still wasn't quite sure.
Speaker 3: Yet because it takes its time, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty narratively unconventional. Yeah, but I by the end of this I was so on board and I was trying to think of how to explain it, and I said to my friend, I was like, imagine someone handing over a Lost Tales from the Crypt screenplay to a remarkable filmmaker who has loads of vision and ideas.
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, that's what this feels.
Speaker 2: And then they're like, let him cook. Yeah right, right, that's what this movie is, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, like, is it a splattery horror movie or is it like sort of like a thoughtful prestigie thing. The answer is.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, exactly? Why not both?
Speaker 2: Why not both? Why not both? Okay, so we both loved it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I should say I didn't even know that Michael B. Jordan plays a dual role, right, right, right, So so the movie, you know, when we first see the twins smoke and stack. Yes, again, I don't know that Michael Jordan me Jordan is playing pencil. I'm I see the one and I'm like, oh, that's Michael B. Jordan. And then I look over I'm like, oh, wait, maybe that's Michael B. Jordan. And then I was like, wait, am I racist? Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I was thinking this is getting out of my hand. Now there are two of them.
Speaker 3: No, there are two of them. That was the effects were seamless as far as when they would interact with each other. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, they show it off immediately right where the guys like wants a cigarette, So the one one Michael B. Jordan has a cigarette to the other one who lights it, and who hands a cigarette back and smokes it, and you know it is I was like, all right, all right, this is okay. I'm impressed.
Speaker 3: I'm impressed. So I did not realize until again, like a good hour in that oh this is like a it's like a horror flick.
Speaker 2: It's it's and I'm not saying this in a negative way, but it's kind of from dust till Dawn. Yes, yeah, you have like one hour of story. Yeah, and then the middle they go Surprise Vampire. You know, I can't even imagine going into this not knowing what it is.
Speaker 3: That was honestly the best way to experience it. I'm so glad I did that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well, because the first half of this movie is very like it reminded me kind of like a once upon a time in Hollywood hangout vibe. It's like a lot of really patient character introductions, right, like we're learning about these people as they interact with one another and go on errands with one another and stop by and visit people from their past. And you know, it's very very patient, right, but it's all very captivating, very much so.
Speaker 3: And what you realize is it's all place setting.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because by the by the time the movie ends, I was like, oh Sinners or as I as I'm gonna call it, don't trust the Whites. Nothing good comes because big. I mean, it really methodically lays out the the time period. Yes, Michael B. Jordan, I mean this this guy was nothing new here. I mean this guy is just magnetic. Yeah, yeah, you know, And and what's remarkable to me is how he manages to make both of these brothers feel very distinct from each other. But the other interesting thing I was thinking about this, I was like, it's also kind of genius that you have Michael B. Jordan playing both of them, because you don't know who's gonna die or if like you know what I mean, like if it's Michael B. Jordan and other guy as brother.
Speaker 2: Raw oh good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, You're like, well, probably Michael B. Jordan makes it to the end, you know, but he's like, well, we don't know, you know.
Speaker 2: And they're really interesting. I mean, it's like, these guys, a lot of it is reputation that we're hearing from other people about who they are and how dangerous they are, and they have a really sort of interesting story with their dad. I mean, we can get in a lot more in spoilers, but it's just I guess I brought all that up earlier talking about how it's almost like two halves and very patient because I was watching it thinking about its pace a little bit, and I was never bored. But it is unconventional and I only bring this stuff up because I want people to understand its wavelength when they show up, so they can like know what they're getting into. But I just dug it so much for all of those choices, yeah, you know, and all the I mean, we were talking about that with the Minecraft movie, which again I haven't seen, but maybe a movie that doesn't exercise a ton of patients, I'm imagining, you know, just wants to get to the funny thing, to the funny thing, to the funny thing to make sure it doesn't lose anybody. But we bring up a lot a movie like Diehard, which takes at least thirty minutes to get to any sort of action. It's all setting up character dynamics so we know who we're dealing with before everything unfolds. And this movie absolutely does that thing. You know.
Speaker 3: I think that's absolutely true. Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And another thing I sort of thought about as I was watching it. You know, it kind of reminded me of sort of what we talk about like our personal heyday of movies, like the nineties or a little earlier, where it's like, at the end of the year, the top ten movies of the year would all be these new original things right right. Yeah, no sequels, no cinematic universes, no remakes, just new stuff that everybody saw and liked and it made a lot of money. Yeah, Like this reminded me of one of those movies that could have come out in the nineties where it's like it didn't need to be based on anything, it didn't need to be a sequel to anything. It was just, Oh, this filmmaker that we know is really good, has this original idea and it's coming out and this is the kind of thing we used to get every Friday, you know, and it it just I don't know why, but it made me think of that while I was watching it, Like I was just getting excited by the newness of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something new. I mean I think that I think Coogler has built up a rep for making thoughtful blockbusters, you know, franchise films, and I think this is a classic one for them, one for me play Yeah, sure, because I feel like people are gonna turn up because of him, and and it makes me excited whenever a filmmaker can become a brand unto themselves. Yes, And that's the general sense I get just from talking to my kids, like my students. I mean, they're excited to see this. Oh it's Ryan Coogler.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, and I'm like, good man, like that's that's what we want, you know. Ah like yeah, more more of this, Like like, I don't know how much this cost. I don't think it's that expensive, you know. I would guess around one hundred maybe maybe less.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and curious.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, well, that's that's what you should spend on something like this, because people are going to turn up, you know, people are looking for something. Like I think word of mouth on this is going to be very good. That's my point.
Speaker 2: I think so too. Excuse me. Budget it was ninety million, now there you go.
Speaker 3: See, I mean it looks it looks like they got a bang for their buck. They didn't, you know, spend exorbitantly on it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's gorgeously shot on seventy millimeter and using Imax cameras, and I think that that decision completely pays off. I mean, it's it's beautiful to look at, but it also just adds to the vibe, yeah, you know, the filmic look to it. Yeah. So I mean I do want to throw out there because I know we're sort of gushing over it, but I don't know that it's gonna necessarily be for everyone, because this is a really gory horror movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, which I was thinking about that actually, because about it about maybe maybe you know, two thirds of the way through I was going to I was thinking like, oh, I should tell I'm gonna to go see this, and then by the end I was like, nope, never mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and it's funny because it's typically not our genre, but I think it's just so well made, and it's so fun and it's so compelling to watch, and the craft and the skill and the execution is so good. I just couldn't help but just love it and be entertained.
Speaker 3: It's it's look in terms of story structure, you said, you said from Dustal Non, that's appropriate, you know, I would say also, and I did a Living Dead and that You've got the people in this confined space and they there's a mob of monsters outside, and you're you're in this place where you're like, you know, you sort of like who am I you know in this situation? Right, it's a great what would you do? Movie? Like there's the the the one lady. Who's who's basically the monsters. We want to get into spoilers, let's get in spoiled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, i'll say real quick, I think this is very very important. Uh there's a mid credits sequence.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and like it's huge, you must stay.
Speaker 2: I saw people, Well, I knew there was a mid credits and I did not post credits. Oh really okay, So and there's also one after the credits.
Speaker 3: See that. I did not know there's a post credit.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so I was watching people walk out okay, And I didn't know what the middle was, and but I was like, oh, it's too bad, they're going to miss it. The middle all right. I already liked the movie a lot. Yeah, the middle I think made me love it.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, we know you didn't see the middle. I saw the middle. I didn't know the middle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the very end, I thought, well, I mean it's not like it changes the film, but it's just a perfect like epilogue. I really loved that middle moment, credits moment.
Speaker 3: So now you got to tell me about the post because I didn't I didn't see.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll spoil it here. Just I won't spoil the middle one, because that's part of the story. The post credits is seeing the boy in the church with a guitar playing this little light of mine. Oh okay, it's just like a nice moment, and it's funny because it was literally me, my friend Busha, and this woman by yourself next to us, and we were the only ones left for that.
Speaker 3: Oh funny.
Speaker 2: And then the lights came up and the woman turned to us and she's like, well, I'm glad at least we stayed for that.
Speaker 3: I was like, we do.
Speaker 2: So I think it's worth it because it's it's fun. But yeah, I feel bad for the people that missed the middle credits moment because I thought it was really sort of essential. Yeah, I think so too. So yeah, all right, let's let's get into spoilers.
Speaker 3: Spoiler So you know the bit here is we got all these vampires and we'll circle back to the plot, but they got the vampire. Basically, they can't come into this place unless they're invited in.
Speaker 2: Yes, which I mean that's like vampire lore, right, but it was vampire one watching.
Speaker 3: It yet that I didn't know. I didn't know anything about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing. And so you see this person like hey, can we come inside?
Speaker 3: Exactly yes, I mean I was connecting the dots because the first time we see the bad guy is his skin is burning, because that's true, right, But it wasn't. I'm not like, oh, okay, it's vampires. It took me once you know, the the the no shoot, what's her name was? What was her name? Annie? She says that they're vampires, right, And then at that point, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, but regardless, no, you have you have the the Asian woman who's pissed off because her husband has has become a vampire and she's like come and get us or something like that. Everybody's like, shut the hell up. I was like, I was like, it would just be my luck to be stuck in a place, in some big mouth like that.
Speaker 2: Right before we've reached a consensus about this.
Speaker 3: He's trying to you know, he's trying to cover her mouth, and she like bites his hand and stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, that's right, that's right. I loved all that playing with the vampire conventions.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was great, it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. And then oh, by the way, so when you're talking about the moment where he's burning and he runs up to that house and he's being chased by like commanche police or whoever, and that that moment's in the trailer, and it's kind of an interesting shot because you see him seemingly land into frame and then the camera follows him as he stumbles towards the house. I was just like, oh, that's a cool looking shot. I don't get it. And then when you watch the movie and you think about it later, you're like, oh, he was flying, like he was flying away from the house. Funny, and he just but they tease it where it's weird enough that you're like, huh, but then you just ignore it. But then when you know what's happening later and you see him flying, you're like.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, yeah, yeah, wow, okay, yeah see. I didn't even think about that. Yeah. No. The thought I had was like, the movie ends, or rather, the vampire story comes to something of a resolution, right, and Smoke Smoke tells Sammy like go home or whatever. Right, And we said, oh, okay, this is going to cycle back to the beginning of the movie when we see it, which I love the beginning where we it sets up how it's gonna end. But it's left vague enough where you have no idea what's actually gonna happen. Yeah. Uh, but then we get righteous vengeance.
Speaker 2: Yes, totally, we get almost like the end of Inglorious Bastards. Oh man, talk about a theater full of murderous monsters just taken out.
Speaker 3: You talk about like, I just love how they just added that on, Like it's it's it was a big picture. You know, you don't need that for the movie to be satisfying. It's like, no, no, we want to see some clansmen just just shot to pieces.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And and man, I was like that that that right there, that that made the whole the whole experience worth it, you know, yeah, yeah, I mean this this movie has everything like it's it just it really does.
Speaker 2: You know, you get sort of like cool you know, rural gangster period, you know, first hour, you know, like I've was just even that moment where ah, shoot, I don't remember which one is which Michael B. Jordan it's basically you know, his his truck. You know, he's talking with that young girl and saying, you know, if there's any trouble, honked this horn, you know, and he's like, I'll pay you ten cents, but then when she accepts, she's like, no, we don't settle for ten cents.
Speaker 3: So that was smoke smoke love.
Speaker 2: That moment just hurt him, teaching her like know your value. Yeah yeah right, And then it's like these guys are like trying to steal stuff out of the back, and when they realize who it is, they apologize, but then he shoots the guy in the leg anyway, like, well, I look, I need to keep up my rep. You gotta walk away with a limp at least, you know. I just it's just like cool, weird, you know, gangster film stuff right before you switch into like a vampire genre thing. And it's funny because then you have like a good horror film, like a good Tales from the Crypt episode, But on top of that, you also have this interesting layer where you can think about things like cultural assimilation, you know, like the way the vamp hires become a hive mind is really interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 2: Once once you're bitten, all the vampires share everything that they know with one another, and at one point, the head vampire says to the people inside the juke joint, I want your songs, I want your stories. You know, it's just like, you know, it's just like so it's it's just so there's so much. There's so much going on. Then, like you said, then there's the righteous vengeance ending, you know, and then you get like this incredible epilogue with what happens with the Blues Kid, which maybe we can get to it a little bit.
Speaker 3: But like, dude, the the bit where I was like, I was like, when when when Smoke gets shot at the end, right and they're like, oh man, you know, like you're like, uh shoot, like I thought he was gonna get out of this, you know. Yeah, and then he sits down and you know, and you're like, oh man, and then he looks over, he sees Annie, he sees his baby. Yes, and you're like, oh, okay, no, then it's okay, you know, yes, and it's like, well, this is just it's the movie manipulating us, but in like the best way. You know.
Speaker 2: It was so well. I loved how it had its cake and ate it too. Because he's about to shoot the KKK like Grand Wizard or whatever. Yeah, but then he looks but he's himself is wounded, but he looks over Yah, sees his his lady and their baby that had passed away, and there was a little part of me was like I wanted to take that guy out, but like, okay, this is nice. He's crossing over. But then literally he like goes back to reality, wastes the guy and then throws his gun down and then looks back like, okay, back back to this, back to heaven. I saw this funny thing on read it by the way where it said says I'm sorry, I don't have the person's name, but it says Smoke got shd end of the deal between the twins, his kid died, had to kill the love of his life. Meanwhile Stack gets to spend eternity with Ailey Stanfield as a Bonnie and Clyde vampire couple. I was like, yeah, that does good. Well, hopefully he's in heaven right now with his woman and kid. Well, so.
Speaker 3: You said that the mid credits scene which reveals that Stack survived along with Mary, that made you love it.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing that I really loved about it was seeing so you know, there's this dilemma with the shoot. I'm sorry, what's his name? The kid? The musician kid Sammy Sammy. Yes. Excellent by the way, he's excellent actor, excellent performer, singer, incredible. So anyway, he has this preacher father who thinks that like music is evil, right, and he chooses music and then he gets put through this harrowing adventure and at the end of the movie, the main vampire you know, claws his face and he gets these scars, really prominent cuts on his face. Right, And at the end he kind of has to choose, like, well, do I stick with my creativity or do I follow sort of the strictures that my dad are setting up for me. And we see him, you know, drive away in the car, still clinging to this busted guitar, which is a good enough ending, right, that's right. But then we get this mid credit sequence where we see a blues man played by Buddy Guy which is really playing in modern day or no it's the nineties. Sorry, it's like nineteen ninety two playing at a club and he kind of turns his face and we see four huge scars, you know, claw mark scars on his face. I was like, ah, love this, love this like he's stuck with it. He did his thing, his passion. That was enough for me. I was like, oh, that's a fun that's a fun bag. Then, yes, Then when you see Smoke and Mary come in stacked Sam Rent, I'm so sorry, Red, you know what I need to do. It's like red hat, blue hat. It's kind of either differentiated. When he comes in with Mary and they're still alive, there's still vampire. They're wearing these nineties clothes. Yeah, you know, because it's nineteen ninety two, nineteen ninety two and just going in there and there's this like incredible moment where Stack like sniffs him and he's like, oh, you don't have a lot of time left, you know. I was like, this is I don't know what sci fi is the right word, but it just like all the things I love, you know, just sort of like heightened reality kind of storytelling. But it's sweet in a weird dark way, right, you know what I mean? And it just put it over the top. I'm like, you didn't even have to have that, but I just absolutely loved seeing that moment all these years later.
Speaker 3: It's funny because we don't see Smoke kill him, and I had that initial thought. I was like, we didn't see it, yeah, And I was kind of expecting him to come back during like the body of the story. So I just forgot about it. And then it's like, oh, duh, right, So that's why I was like, really glad I did hang out through the credit scene, you know, and I love that that He's like, uh, smoke made me promise to leave you alone. Yes, yes, that's right, that's right he kept and he kept his word, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes. Ah, the brothers and then the whole thing too, with the ending where he couldn't roll the cigarette and his brother he always is asking his brother for the cigarette.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling like a little choked up thinking about it right now, Like this that's the thing, man, Like it's there was it's it is this splattery horror movie. But the characters are so rich. It's a good story period period, you know. And then you also get all this fun playing with the like I was saying with the vampire. Sorry, I'm jumping all over the place now, but it's a good when when the kid takes out Sammy takes out the lead vampire with the guitar made of metal and it's like burning through his head. I was like, brilliant, brilliant. I mean it was just set up from the beginning that guitar. I loved all that stuff and then all that yeah again with the vampire conventions, the whole all right, well one of us might be a vampire, so we all have to eat this garlic in a circle and you know, the girl refusing it and they're like just pointing a gun another do it.
Speaker 3: And using thee. Yeah. Yeah, it was great in this.
Speaker 2: I always love seeing del Roylando.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anytime he gets to he gets to really rip, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, and that gets into the patients of the I don't even know. I haven't thought about it in terms of acts, but it almost feels like two acts in a way. Yeah, and uh, the introduction of him, you know, being sort of this alcoholic musician just playing as harmonica, but the way that they bring him in and there's clearly a history there and an understanding and they know how to lure him in. And you know, first he doesn't want to hear the kid play the guitar, but then we see them playing together happily, and I don't know, you know what I mean, Like that stuff was I'm glad the movie allowed for all of those moments in their entirety, you know what I mean. Yeah, Yeah, anyway. Sorry, I'm kind of just going and going. I don't want to talk about Well.
Speaker 3: During that mid credits scene when when old Sammy talks about how like before everything went to shit, like do you think about that day? Yes? And how and how Stack is like, yes, last time I saw my brother, the last time I saw.
Speaker 2: Daylight Sun Yes, you know, yeah, yeah, it's like his last great day or whatever.
Speaker 3: He says it.
Speaker 2: Oh so poignant and beautiful. Yeah, I can't believe it's tucked into the credits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's well, I mean it's sort of it's almost like at this point we have been conditioned to stick around through the credits, and so Ryan Coogler is sort of relying on people's muscle memory to take over. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, and and and I think I think it's it's worth it in this regard, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and he also does that he guides you there a little bit because he's showing clips of Buddy Guy as the first credits start. And also, I mean, I've brought it up a lot, but I highly recommend this app called after Credits. I mean, every movie, when the credits begin, I open up that app and it tells you if there is something during the middle or the very end.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, that's what I should have I should have checked that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, hey, big fans of Sinners again, or as I call it, don't trust the Whites. Yeah, that is my firm takeaway from this movie.
Speaker 2: Well that reminds me, by the way, like I really did enjoy the I don't know a ton about vampire you know stories, but like there was something kind of I don't know, like an easy but interesting and captivating about once they did turn into vampires and they're all out there singing together, kind of coexisting. They're this hive mind. They now know what everyone else among them knows. And you know, was that that's when that Irish song happens, right they do the jig?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my gosh. We haven't talked about the best part of the entire movie, the when Sammy starts playing and they're saying, some musicians are so powerful that when they play, like the ghosts of musicians past and the people of musicians' future all exist on the same plane. And so Sammy starts playing this song and everyone in the juke joint just is like so into it, and then the camera kind of you know, moves over and you see this like funkadelic looking guy, you know, with a guitar who looks completely out of place in the nineteen thirties. And then you like move over again and you see like you know, tribesmen playing on like percussion instruments. And then you see like you know, these Asian dancers, you know, and it just all of music existing it once in this barn. And then the you know literally, you know, the roof is on five like literally that happens. The roof is on fire, the building burns down. Yet these people like they don't even see it. The music's too powerful. They're just existing together in this incredible moment. I was like, this is the scene of the year. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was well.
Speaker 3: And it's just it the the coogler expects you to understand what's happening. Yes, yes, it's you know, it's not commented on. It's just part of the craft, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you you know, in a lesser capable filmmaker's hands, that could be kind of goofy, right, but like instead, like the combination of the music that's being played the way that it is revealed, it feels very powerful and poignant, and it's just like, yeah, I don't know. It's just if you need any sort of calling card of the display of power that Coogler, you know, possesses, film like go no further, yeah scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I should mention Jack O'Connell as as the lead vampire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's great.
Speaker 3: That's creepy as hell. And and I was actually surprised that Hayley Steinfeld sort of exits the the group relatively quickly.
Speaker 2: You know, mmmm, wait, wait, because you mean when before she's turned or exactly yeah, yeah, before she's turned.
Speaker 3: You know that because she's she's like second build after after Michael B. Jordan, you know, right right, because it feels like she doesn't get as much to do once she becomes part of the Horde.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, that's that's true. That's true.
Speaker 3: That all being said, you know, when she goes out there, they're singing the song Wild Mountain Time, which I love. I love that song, and I'm like, well, god damn it. Now it's like, yeah, I'm gonna have that association now.
Speaker 2: You know, that's really funny. But I did like the you know, it's kind of interesting. And then you see the poor guy, you know, the bouncer, and he becomes like a part of them. And that was the other thing too, like, well he he's just out trying to take a piss, right, and then he gets yeah, and then that whole prolonged scene of him trying to get inside. Yeah, you know, and then you know they're not some of them aren't.
Speaker 3: No, No, that was it. It was that was a different guy.
Speaker 2: Well no, no, no, he well he was turned. I mean he was a vampire and he's trying.
Speaker 3: When he's trying to get ice, is it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like a fun because there's.
Speaker 3: The one guy who they accidentally took out.
Speaker 2: Yees, So then I was gonna yeah yeah, yeah, I mean I just I really enjoyed that prolonged knowing he's a vampire. They're not certain, but just the way, yeah, he's come on, yeah.
Speaker 3: Come on, let me come on, can I come in?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well let's least uh, let's you got to pay me, right, so it's once you hand me over the money, you know. But then so after we've had that moment, yes, then we have the guy who is not a vampire, who just wants to be.
Speaker 3: Let the hell in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can't. He's like, let me in, let me in. Then it's like, well, I mean, are we gonna let anybody into this?
Speaker 3: I'm not. Yeah, good stuff, I mean it is. It's one of those things where I'm I kind of I want to watch it again now knowing what I know, so that I can sort of track a little all the little tells and whatever. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so hey, it's not funny, dude. I mean, we are like not horror guys.
Speaker 3: Not at all. I was thinking about I was actually thinking about that yesterday. I was like, by the time of the climax, I was like, this is probably about the limit for both of us in terms of what like what we're okay with horror.
Speaker 2: Wise, you know, wise, I would say that, And I think for me, it also has a lot to do with the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it's a it's a worthy story, and there's characters that I can really give, Like, I just don't like the whole thing where people are just picked off and the quote unquote fun is watching people begging for their lives before it's killed spectacularly.
Speaker 3: I don't that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just makes me feel bad, and like this though, was a really interesting story and there's a lot of like tragedy that happens, but I mean, yeah, there's a lot of emotion and payoff and pathos at the end. Like we were saying, you know, my brother said to let you live and you know, talking about their their last best days and just it's that's just a good story regardless of genre.
Speaker 3: I agree. Yeah, so two big thumbs up for Sinners. Yeah yeah, but hey, let us know, let us know your thoughts. What did you What did you think of of the movie? What did you think of what we have to say? You can email us at moviefilmpodcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. We also have a Patreon page brink.
Speaker 2: Yes we do. If you hit a.
Speaker 3: I always do that.
Speaker 2: If you head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done in every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free. So it's a way that helps make producing the show sustainable. It helps support us and we hope it offers the most pleasant way to listen to the show without any ads or interruptions. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and hit subscribe.
Speaker 3: There you go, And as always, if you like what we're doing, please go to Apple Podcast, leave you review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps and we do appreciate that very very much. If you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zaki's Corner. That'sz Akis Corner. I'm also at the San Franciolo Chronicle and at IG and The Rap Brian, you got anything you want to promote?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we talked earlier about Young Jedi Adventures and I've written for seasons one and two, and season two just had new episodes drop about a month ago on Disney Plus. So if you've seen it and enjoyed it, or hopefully if your kids have seen the show and enjoyed it, there are more adventures for them to watch now, So head over and watch Young Jedi Adventures on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: There you go, And with that on behalf of my partner Brian Home. My name is Zachie Us. On this has been movie filmed three fifteen. We'll catch you next time when we talk about Thunderbolts.
Speaker 1: Thanks everybody, Welcome friends, It's the Movie Podcasts Podcasts enjoying the show Jacky again Ryan. They're talking about the movie's mommy Now Barkas on the bo