Speaker 1: Welcome Friends podcast podcast is do show JACKI again Ryan. They're talking about Booby mom.
Speaker 2: Ma in the race for the world's most advanced communications technologies. Together they will search and the more they discover, the greater the danger.
Speaker 3: An animal move like that.
Speaker 2: We're getting out of here.
Speaker 3: Put them on the indangered species left from the best selling novel by the author of Jurassic Party.
Speaker 2: Congo, where you are the endangered species.
Speaker 3: Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zachi As. I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 1: Brian to be here.
Speaker 3: And without you even having had your your your customary martini.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're here to watch Congo.
Speaker 1: Yes, and for me, this will be my second time watching Congo, because I watched it for the first time to prepare for this commentary.
Speaker 3: Well, this will be my third time because that's I've only seen it once more than you.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: So this is a movie that celebrated its thirtieth anniversary just a few weeks ago as we were recording this, and it is a movie we have gotten a ton of requests for and so you know, as tends to be the case, I pitched it to Brian. I was like, hey, it's under two hours.
Speaker 1: He knows my love language.
Speaker 3: That's all it took. He's like, go on, Yeah, so this is this is based on the novel by Michael Crichton, although I think that's the extent of the involvement that Michael Crichton had in this film, right, and it is certainly a time capsule. I will say that.
Speaker 1: I love your tone. I'll certainly say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think this is gonna be a fun one because I, as I often say, I love revisiting these nineties movies that I missed because I just by virtue of my age, I'm just very endeared to the filmmaking style of the nineties and so seeing new artifacts from it is always delightful, especially ones as wacky as this one.
Speaker 3: Indeed, Yeah, and that is I think that is the right word for it. So with that in mind, I figured like, hey, let's just let's just dive right in. What do you think I'm ready? So we will do the usual thing. We will play on three. So one, two three play and are we gonna do that right now? One? Two three play?
Speaker 1: So this is two years after Jurassic Park, right, two years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so by way of context, the genesis of this pro project began many years before, but in the heat of Jurassic Park Afterglow, Hollywood was just ready to jump on anything that had the Crichton name attached, and this one had been working its way through the collective GI tract of the industry before it was finally expelled in nineteen ninety five. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Michael Crichton's interesting because I was introduced to him. I mean, I think as most people around our age were through Jurassic Park, and later I learned well, so then it was interesting to me to watch that Simpsons episode where they go to Itchy and Scratchy Land, and I think that that's based on Jurassic Park, and it partially is, but it's mostly based on Westworld West World, Yeah, right, and so.
Speaker 3: I would say more so West World than Jurassic Park.
Speaker 1: Definitely, definitely. And so later in life I realized that, oh, Michael Crichton didn't sort of begin in the early nineties. Yeah, you know, he was a successful author, director, screenwriter in the seventies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a computer programmer. I mean, he's a true jack of all trades.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this book came out in nineteen eighty Congo. Yeah, and from everything I've heard through the research I've done, it's different, a little different than this movie. But and you know, any of the things that you nitpick in this movie, it sounds like the book is actually pretty good. Like people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's more of a straight ahead adventure. And I mean the genesis of the story began with Crichton having directed a movie called The Great Train Robbery, which I think outside of the US was called the first Great Train Robbery, but it starred Sean Connery, and so he was so enamored of his time with Sean Connery that he wrote Congo with Sean Connery in mind to play the adventurer who would lead the movie, you know, a great white hunter Charles Monroe and kind of a character in the vein of Alan Quartermain of King Solomon's minds. And obviously that movie version of the movie didn't get made, although ironically, you know, Sean Connery did play Alan Quartermain. It was his last movie, you know, The League of Extordinary Gentlemen.
Speaker 1: That's pretty wild, the movie that pretty much made him.
Speaker 3: Retire exactly, so you know, but yeah, this had been Crichton had planned to direct this okay. And what it came down to this was when it was at twentyeth century Fox, and he said he would not do it unless he could have a real gorilla play the character of Amy Amy being a gorilla, just to clarify, and and Fox was like, are you insane?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the early eighties attempt at making this movie. And you know what, though, I can appreciate his thinking because I'm sure at that time, you know, I mean, you think of this, was it seventy seven King Kong, Yes, seventy six, seventy six. I enjoyed its great, but it's a very much like a monkey suit guy in a suit, guy in a suit. And we still have guy in suit in this one. But the you know, you have servos in the head and great care being taken with their eyeballs and irises and the like, you know what I mean, Like they've come a long way in terms of suits with I mean San Winston, for goodness sake, he's the other guy who made the suit.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I can see his apprehension in the early eighties wanting to do that. Yeah, I'm stiking to screaming Bruce Campbell. I was surprised to see this.
Speaker 3: Bruce Campbell was always a bridesmaid, never a bride when it comes to these movies because because he he auditioned for the role of doctor Peter Elliott and that went to Dylan Waalsh, so they let him be you know, guy guy the Hey, that guy who gets killed off early.
Speaker 1: See. Now, I didn't know that, and I thought, oh, I had no idea this was a Bruce Campbell movie.
Speaker 3: And uh oh when you were watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I knew nothing about this except that the gorilla could talk, you know, through technology. I gotta say, I mean, just right off the bat, this movie, I almost felt like I was watching an inside joke I didn't get as I was watching it. I think it helps if you're gonna watch this for the first time in twenty twenty five, to either have a fond nostalgia for it or to know what you're getting into. And I think I'm gonna have a lot more fun watching it this time with you knowing what it is. But all have to say, like, I just didn't find the leads very dynamic, no, which I think is a big problem.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's it's puzzling because they're all decent actors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but they just don't pop. And it kind of makes me wish Bruce Campbell had been one of the leads in this thing. I think he would have brought an energy that would have really helped propel it a lot.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. You could have put him in as Doctor Ellie. You could have made him Monroe Kelly.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, yeah, yeah, either way, you could.
Speaker 3: Have bought him. Although I like Ernie Hudson, but I.
Speaker 1: Gotta say me too, I really love what he's doing in this.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you know, it's just like in Dark Man five years earlier. You know, he had auditioned to play the main character. They gave him a little cameo at the end, and then ly Bruce Campbell in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he's in the Doctor Strange multiverse of Madness and basically just gets to punch himself in the face for two minutes. You know, like that's right, you just can't get a break.
Speaker 3: And in all three Sam Raimi Spider Man movies also right.
Speaker 1: Right, But it's interesting because and when I say with dynamic leads, it's not star power, because I mean, you look at Jurassic Park two years earlier. Those people weren't stars. Really. I mean, it wasn't Harrison Ford or whoever, like, but they're perfectly cast there. Whatever it is that they possess as people they make those character is interesting, and unfortunately I'm not getting that shining off of this cast.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, what it is really is that everybody is kind of in their own They're they're on each on a different highway. They're not even in a different lane.
Speaker 1: Please expand on that, because I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, like Joe Don Baker over here, who is energetic to maybe a maximal degree, I'm like, bro, like, just tone it down a little man.
Speaker 1: Like yeah yeah, yeah, well well and Tim Curry, like it feels like Tim Curry understood the assignment he did. He's playing this really fun, colorful side character. Well that's the thing too. I was reading people's takes on this, and it was saying some people realize they were in a comedy and others didn't realize they were in a comedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, so rewatching this. Yeah, generally you don't want to find an eyeball in your hand, you know, it.
Speaker 1: Makes you think of Minority Report. I just eyeball stuff is just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not a fan, No, I'm not a fan, and I should say Jodn Baker rip because he just like within the last two months he passed away. Oh, a very unique presence. I put him in the same bucket as like mm At Walsh, you know, totally just a type all by himself, you know, totally Yes, But no, as I said, I had watched this. I rented this on VHS from from Hollywood Video shortly after it came out, and then you know, I haven't watched it since. And rewatching it now for this commentary track, I was like, man, this is I'm getting WPWR syndicated right, like Saturday afternoon syndicated show Energy Zachy.
Speaker 1: This is literally what I wrote word for word in my notes. It feels like a cross between a WGN Saturday Afternoon syndicated television series with a Disney Sunday night movie. Unbelievable. Yes, that's exactly what this is. And so but here's the thing. As I'm watching the screen now and we're talking about it, I am feeling more charitable toward it, sure, and like, oh, this thing right right, And then I know that this guy is very funny and doesn't care about his son. He cares more about diamonds and like I'm I kind of a chuckle already at the ready as I'm watching this, and the first time I thought I was watching I certainly not Jurassic Park, but like, oh, a pretty good blockbuster from the nineties, that's what I thought I was getting.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, I would assume that's what audiences thought they were getting, which would which would explain why it did very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it opened really well. It was a fifty million dollar budget ultimately in the US and Canada made eighty one million worldwide, one hundred and fifty million, undred.
Speaker 3: And fifty ninety five. Yeah, so I mean it ended up doing okay. I will say I remember very distinctly my interest in this film was twofold number one. You know, the criton of it all got me, got me intrigued, and you know, they had the whole marketing campaign. They had a whole bunch of toys and things, which, dude, the notion of a toy line for this movie is like comical, right it It might as well be like the Philadelphia Action figure line on SNL, you know, because this is not a particularly toy atic movie, right. However, so it was like, oh, kids, go see this, but also in the mid nineties. I remember this was in the lead up to potentially a New Planet of the Apes movie. Oh interesting, And at the time there was like, oh, stan Winston's going to do the effects, and I was like, well, stan Winston's doing the apes in this. Let's see, let's see like how that might look, you know. And then he had Jerry Goldsmith doing the score and I'm like, hey, Jerry Goldsmith doing the score, but adjacent movie, you know very much, not that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm just to place it in the timeline of you know, the era. This beat Casper, which is kind of interesting, and then the next week it was overtaken by Batman Forever. So that's kind of what was going on when this came out. But interesting, you know what's funny though, I mean, well, I guess we're getting to it right now. Well we should talk about what happened a little bit. So we open where this like telecom company. I guess they're mining for diamonds in this remote area that will I don't know, make their the stuff that they produced function better, right, And so they have this team over there on an expedition and it looks like they're getting attacked you know, we see like a blurry gorilla type figure in front of the camera. They don't know exactly what's going on. And in the head of the company that's his son who's over there right, who looks like he's being attacked by a guerrilla. So his Bruce Campbell, the guy over in the encampment, his ex fiance ex fiance, ex fiance, is like, we have to go over there and and help him, and the dad's like, yeah, absolutely, and then he's.
Speaker 3: Like, diamond diamond, uga booga, diamond diamond.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and she's like, no, no, I need you to tell me. We're doing this because you love your son.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love my diamond, I mean son exactly.
Speaker 1: That's basically what the first like ten minutes of this movie are. Yes, so we know that this guy is capital e evil, willing to let his son die so he can get diamonds that will help his business. And we have the you know, ex fiance who's willing to travel.
Speaker 3: They should have had him absent mindedly polishing a diamond and then he looks up and says, huh, yes, I mean my son, and then he goes back to polishing.
Speaker 1: Yes. It's sort of like mister Blackheart from the Citizens with the ivory, the ivory boots, the iphy. Yes, exactly exactly. I will admit it took me a minute. No, no, not a minute. When the movie was over, I was like, how did all these people come together on this same expedition? I didn't understand.
Speaker 3: You have to connect the dots a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two thirds of it makes sense to me. I'm not sure how Laura Lenny was aware that this plane was leaving, but she's the one who's willing to fund it, so they need That's how they all need one another basically.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think it's happenstance.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: I think, right, maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, I don't know, but it seemed like it was a little different in the book, a little streamlined. But anyway, No, that's Mary Ellen Trainer.
Speaker 3: Look at that. We got a little mini Goonies reunit in here, because we got Joey Pants in just a little bit too.
Speaker 1: I was surprised and delighted to see him. Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's weird. It's it's it's episodic, where you just have people kind of wander in and out, people who are just familiar enough wander in where you're like, hey, where are you going?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, you expect them to be bigger characters.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. And by the way, the grantaslov as a likable, doomed partner. Yeah, I wonder you couldn't see the bull's eye. And that guy's had a.
Speaker 1: Say I know, I know, And I was actually thinking, like he had to go out there. I don't know where they are, like Costa Rica or something, And there's entire scenes where he like doesn't say anything, He's just standing there. Yeah, and then he gets like one line like I don't like the looks of this, you know kind of stuff, And I was like, man, what a sort of thinkless role. Although I every time it focuses on him, I'm happy. If I was in a test screening on the card, I would put please a little bit more of his flavor.
Speaker 3: A little more Faisal or whatever his name is in this movie. Yeah, Richard, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: So speaking of this suit, I don't know Tim Curry is up to no good there, Brian, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I almost wish he had something the showed a little bit more adventure her like in his costuming, Like why he stands out like, why is this guy in this meeting? You know what I mean, like a Indiana Jones hat and a scarf, a handkerchief or something. I'm turning it into a full cartoon. But the Amy speaking of, like the gorilla costumes, look, do they entirely hold up to a twenty twenty five? I? I don't know. That's kind of up to you. Amy completely worked for me.
Speaker 3: I think Amy and the Silverbacks worked. I think like the normal gorillas, not the mutant gorillas.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Yeah, no, yeah, the silver Back that looks incredible. Amy looks a little slightly more humanoid, I think because they needed her to have an expressiveness. Yeah, which I really loved. I loved Amy. I thought she was sweet and I was like.
Speaker 3: No, take care of her.
Speaker 1: She needs to be protected. So I in terms of that, all that completely worked for me and this movie.
Speaker 3: So there's James Karen, another character actor who's long list of credits. He's in the original Return of the Living Dead, and he is in Superman Returns Wow, and actually, well we're talking about Superman. Dylan Walsh he was recently a regular on Superman and Lewis. He played General Sam Lay and Lois's father.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: And he was, of course, about ten years after this movie. He came to the renewed fame because he was the co lead of Nip Tuck alongside Julian McMahon.
Speaker 1: I swear I didn't even put it together. I didn't really watch Niptuk, so he's not at the forefront of my mind. But I was like, man, that guy's face looks so familiar, but he's got this really shaggy, curly hair here, very different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's weird because I'm sort of used to seeing him with the old guy face.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, maybe that's it too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, oh, yeah, I guess I guess he was young at one time.
Speaker 1: Right, right. So this well, so, I mean the plot again here is Amy is making all these drawings of the jungle, and so her trainer or whatever you would call him, is like, I think it's time for her to go back home, right see.
Speaker 3: And and the thing what I bump up against is I believe that these primates have a certain level of innate intelligence. I think ascribing language to them is maybe a bridge too far, right, Like even even these apes that that are taught sign language. I mean, I think that it's you know, I mean, they're not they're not experiencing cognition the way we do.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought that up, Zachy. So Amy obviously reminded me of Coco of Coco, right, who was a very famous gorilla geez whin like that when we were growing up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, And I actually just wait, hold on this, this is the thing. See, I wasn't quite tracking. So obviously he's going and he just did a seminar doctor Peter Yes talking about how Amy can communicate, and it sounds like she wants to go home, so we're gonna take her home. And she's been making these drawings and in her drawings of the jungle, she included a picture of an eye, right right. So Tim Curry, who's attending this.
Speaker 3: He is her kermer Homolka.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna call him Tim Curry. Just I'm just making a note at the beginning of this so people understand.
Speaker 3: But you put some respect on mister Homolka's name.
Speaker 1: It's like Bob blah blah. So anyway, uh, Tim Curry again, I don't know why he's attending the seminar, but he sees this eye that looks just like an eye. And it's like that is that looks like that very specific guy that I have on this ring that comes from this lost city, and.
Speaker 3: And this sinister music on the soundtrack accuse us in that that something, something is afoot with this fella.
Speaker 1: He has motives. Yeah, so so he wants to get in on this journey because he thinks wherever he maybe this ape or a gorilla has seen the very place that he's looking for where he can find all these diamonds. Right, so that makes sense why he's like, okay, buddy, let me join you. Right. Yeah, I just didn't understand how Laura Lenny's character because she needs to go over and save her coworkers. Yes, I didn't understand how she ended up at the airport on this flight. Now obviously they need her because they're out of funds. They can't pay for the fuel and she has unlimited funds. Yes, I just didn't understand how she knew, like you said, happenstance.
Speaker 3: She shows a piece she had said to the at the company, find an expedition that's going, Ah, we'll be on the next one, I see, And it just so happens to be the Expedition with with with Peter Elliott and Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay see and mister Homolka. This rewards a multiple view. Here you go, make sure you catch every detail.
Speaker 3: Now, tell me if you didn't think that at some point in the movie it would be revealed that Tim Curry's accent was just a put on.
Speaker 1: Like I wish I had, but I would have loved that.
Speaker 3: It's so over the top. You know, we're going, I'm happy, will fund your trip, you know, and then at some point he's like, right, don't I don't really talk like that, you know, and.
Speaker 1: If that yes at gunpoint or something, yeah, you know, I'm just like, no, please, please, you know, kind of kind of like Alan Rickman does in a diarhogy exactly flip into that kind of a thing. Oh no, you know, like that would be amazing missed opportunity.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, you know this, this movie is full of actors who are putting on these accents where you have to imagine at least somebody was like, are you.
Speaker 1: Sure right right?
Speaker 3: Because because we got all kinds of fun We got accent, music, chairs, he got Delroy Lindo doing one thing. We got Ernie Hudson doing another.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, okay, well we're gonna get the martini. You know, Amy needs her martini while she's on the plane. I like this actually by the way, where she's like what is happening? Yeah, the Amy looking out the window and like where's the ground? Where's the ground? I don't know. I was very endeared too. I gotta give it to Stan Winston because I really cared about this character.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But but what we were talking about earlier, if if you, if you uh look at like how apes communicate. Uh, they never ask questions.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't know that. That's is interesting. Well okay, so I did wanna I did. This is from Wikipedia, straight from Wikipedia, because I thought all of it was interesting and I didn't want to.
Speaker 3: Pair so consider the source.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well true, But this is this is about Coco, who, when you're growing up, was a famous gorilla that could sign, and I think people got really endeared to the idea of like, wow, isn't it amazing, Like maybe we could talk to one another. So Coco, which was a nickname was I'm reading now, was a female Western Lowland gorilla born in the San Francisco Zoo and cross fostered by Francine Patterson, who used conducted ape language experiments. Coco gained public attention as the subject of two national geographic cover stories and in nineteen eighty five, the best selling children's book, Coco's Kitten.
Speaker 3: I Remember that book.
Speaker 1: So Coco's communication skills were hotly debated. Coco used many signs adapted from American sign language, but the scientific consensus to date remains that she did not demonstrate the syntax or grammar required of true language. Patterson has been widely criticized for misrepresenting Coco's skills, providing insufficient care for Coco and her companion gorillas, and inappropriate treatment of Gorilla Foundation's staff members. Despite such controversies, Cocos story changed the public image of gorillas, previously assumed to be brainless and violent. Science I Think is a magazine, noted in its obituary that Coco helped transform how human the human world viewed animal emotion and intelligence. So, yeah, in my memory, I was like, oh, yeah, yeah, it was a gorilla, it understood sign language and if I met it, it could talk to me. Yeah, And that's just I mean, of course, in nineteen eighty five, I was a kid, So of course I believe that reading is getting but apparently that's not exactly the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well this is that's that's exactly it, right, Like I think the fact that that these amazing, beautiful creatures are are vaguely human ish, you know, we ascribe a human level intellect onto them, and I think I think that's what gets people into a lot of trouble, you know, Yeah, and I think, you know, the animals exactly.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say the same goes for even house pets, dogs, sure of court, Like dogs can understand, generally speaking, a certain amount of words. You know, when you say walk or you know, dinner or something, they know at least what that sound means for them, right. But it's like we want them to think, oh, he's hugging me right now, and it's like kind of you.
Speaker 3: Know, right exactly, that's exactly it. I remember uh reading about in a similar vein to Coco, you know, the Travis the Chimp. I don't remember driving, and I guarantee you know the story. It's about a woman who raised this chimpanzee and she raised him like a son, and then at one point he attacked her neighbor. You remember this vaguely, he he, I mean he did such damage to her face that she needed a full face transplant.
Speaker 1: See, I think I remember that part of it. A woman, the transplant and dealing with yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, and the end the ape was eventually the ape was put down, and I mean it was It was a horrible story, right. And my point is that they look, I mean, they're still animals, you know, yes, so they should be treated with kindness and compassion, and they should be left alone because they're not people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the understanding that they're not going to ever fully behave or have the like moral sense of humans, right, Like they're gonna have these instincts that could come out at any moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, so so any the point I'm making is this movie presents Amy as if Amy is a fully uh you know, interactive, a cognizant creature, and and there's never any sci fi gobbledygook explanation for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she hasn't been altered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm like, I would have almost preferred that because that would make it easier to swallow, you know, sure, yeah, yeah right, because because there there is like a fantasy element to this movie. And it's weird how the the movie doesn't really prepare you for that. No, yeah, right, it's about an hour and a half of just you know, trapes through the jungle and then twenty minutes of you know what feels like a universal stunt show.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, it really does, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean it's the way that the sets look and yeah, yeah, very static. Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 3: Ernie. So, Ernie Hudson, the man, the myth, the legend. I think I speak for you when I say that here at movie film we celebrate Ernie Hudson and all his configurations.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I even had the pleasure of meeting him. He voiced a dog that I wrote for Puppy Dog Pals and I got to go to the record shake his hand. That was really special.
Speaker 3: Now he has said that Monroe Kelly is the favorite character he has played.
Speaker 1: I completely understand why. Right, He's gonna have some fun with this.
Speaker 3: He is the de facto, you know, adventure lead of this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's got this sort of debonair you know, affect and like O course, you know, because the Jungle is a house of many mysteries, you know, kind of a speaking kind of thing which is really fun.
Speaker 3: So that all being said, as much as I do enjoy Ernie Hudson in this movie, I would say maybe the accent wasn't wasn't the best choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know it's funny. Yes, the objective answer is yes. However, if I'm just going to lean into what's going on here and everything is as wacky as it is, if he's having fun, it can pretty much sense it. I can sense it coming off of him, how much funny's having and I'm in And frankly, if they had done more stories with him, sure, you know, like more movies or a series with him as the lead, leading different sorts of interesting people through the jungles or whatever that would be. I think he's an interesting enough character.
Speaker 3: It's out on that opportunity. Yeah, and he does get one of the best lines, I'm the great white Hunter except on black right.
Speaker 1: That's right, written by a Pulitzer Prize winner by the way, this movie, I don't know if we brought that up yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So so Michael Crichton had nothing to do with with this once it landed at Paramount and and I think, yeah, I'm your great right Hunter. Though I happened to be black.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you've basically like karaoke det right. For me, that's perfect. It was fun with looking at him and hearing your voice come.
Speaker 3: My less impressive voice. I'm telling you, give me more, Ernie Hudson, give me. You know, if they do another Ghostbusters and and the the the other ogs decided not to come back, and we just get four clones of winston' z ed Moore, I would still be down with them.
Speaker 1: Same same.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Michael Crichton had had no involvement in this, and so you had you had the amblin uh connection because of Frank Marshall. Is I don't think the movie is amblin.
Speaker 1: Wow, great point. I don't think it is either. And does that have to do with it being released through Paramount?
Speaker 3: That would be my guess. But nonetheless, Frank Marshall and Kathy Kennedy did produce it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Frank Marshall directed.
Speaker 3: And Frank Marshall directed. Frank Marshall is an interesting director, right, It's like because I think there's like I think he's a competent director, but I don't know that he ever really elevates the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I mean he did a lot of second unit for Spielberg. So's he's got chops, He's got a.
Speaker 3: Knock on raiders, right, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that's where he met Kathleen Kennedy and they got married. And then yeah, he did like a rack Noophobia, which I think is an ambulin movie. Yes, those are live? Oh did he do?
Speaker 3: I've never seen a live Actually live is good. I think I was a little.
Speaker 1: Afraid of it, honestly. Sure, but I'm a little old, like being a little older, I think I might be able to handle it now. But now he does like music documentaries, you know, like Beach Boys and just interesting, a very interesting career.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I the movie was offered to Steven Spielberg at one point, which you can completely imagine. Yeah, absolutely, And this is pre Jurassic This is like in the eighties, and he passed. John Carpenter had been offered it. So I mean it was it was working its way. And again the hook really came once Jurassic Park just started minting money. And and so you can understand the calculus a paramount being like, hey that they made all that Michael Crichton money, we want we want some of that Michael Crichton money.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 3: However, I think the miscalculation is this idea that people will treat mutant apes the same way they did you know, living cgi dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I agreed. But well when I alluded earlier about the Puelitzer Prize. So John Patrick Shanley wrote the screenplay. I mean he wrote Moonstruck Doubt.
Speaker 3: Yeah. What an Academy work for Moonstruck. If I'm not mistaken, I believe so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the peelds are for doubt and and Congo, so very funny thing is.
Speaker 3: And he directed Joe Versus the Volcano.
Speaker 1: I love Joe Versus the Volcano.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: I mean, what an interesting that's a I'd call that an aspirational writer's career. I mean, you got your goofy blockbuster, say what you will about it. You've got your like prestige piece, You've got your weird Joe Versus Volcano, kind of like your weird indie film. That's very quirky and fun. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's being of quirky and fun Delroy Lindo again, he just wanders in for a scene and leaves a kind.
Speaker 1: Of amongous impression.
Speaker 3: He really doesn't. There's another one like same with Joey Pantsy just leaves the movie and Delroy Lindo. You're like, hey, where are you going?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, he's great in this. It needs to be bribed.
Speaker 3: I saw this one time thirty years ago, and yet to this day, just randomly, I'd be like, stop eating my sesami cake. See.
Speaker 1: That was fun for me because I remembered that. I was like, what is happening? And then when I started reading up on this movie afterward, I just kept seeing that quote everywhere. I was like, Oh, that that's what lived on from this. I love this too. The bribing giving him the money, he's like more just smiling. That's sucker.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: I love to this little detail he puts the money in a in a like a brown grocery sack and then he just starts stapling it. What a great detail. Here we go. If we want to call out possibly the moment of the movie.
Speaker 3: You don't need a man sesame cake, Brian. That's what this movie taught me. So there's some things you just do not do right.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of you know Spielberg and all those connections, this was shot by the DP of ET Alan Davia, so he was the DP on ET color purple. He also did Bugsy Albert Brooks movie Defending Your Life. Yeah, you know, actually I got to see him speak once. He spoke before screening of ET at the New Beverly.
Speaker 3: That was really special and he just he could not stop talking about Congo. Right, but I know you guys are here about ET, but let me tell you about Congo.
Speaker 1: Well, it's fascinating because you look at this scene and it's lit great, and there was a scene on the airplane earlier where Laura Lenny was lit really beautifully and dramatically and stuff. But then to your point, we can dig into it more when it happens. But in the third act it doesn't look very good at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's there is like a sudden and pronounced tonal and visual shift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'll save it so make sure we still have something to talk about at the end. But there was stan Winston digs into that a little bit in a way that I just hadn't crossed my mind that I've kind of fascinating and instructive for anybody looking to shoot a movie.
Speaker 3: So, oh, that's interesting. Yeah, I my understanding, I have not read the novel, but my understanding is that in the book you have multiple expeditions that are sort of competing with each other to get to it's a race study of Zinge, right, yes, And my thought watching the film is, well, why would you not keep that element of drama in the movie, because there is something weirdly languid about the entire front front two thirds?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's I like Lord of the Rings, but I think some people the criticism is like, so they just walk for like two and a half hours and that's that's But you know, I would argue that it's very interesting, and the characters are very interesting, and they encounter a lot of interesting things along the way. And this one, Yeah, the first two thirds is literally just them trapsing through the joke.
Speaker 3: It's it's literally here to hear something happened, something happens, something else here to hear something happens, something happens, something happens. To here, to hear something happens, something happens, something happens.
Speaker 1: And it's not all really related either, Like there's no I'll call it out early, but there's a really random moment where a snake shows up, yes, and then the guy just goes oh then like cuts his head off with the sword, and it's like then cross fades and they continued to walk, you know, like it's just like such a non event.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the pacing is off for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I don't I don't know why they didn't keep that extra tension element from the book.
Speaker 3: Well, And I think the problem is that if you say, oh, we're we're going to rescue Bruce Campbell m h even that it it feels so out of sight, out of mind mm hmm. Right, So maybe increase that element. Maybe maybe he's you know, he's not dead yet and he's getting these messages out and and you know, Laura Linnie's character is receiving them, and so there's a sense of like we got to get to him before it's too late kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I totally completely agree. So Amy there just kind of with her hand on her the doctor's leg and just the way that they're close. And then the people who are loading the plane are like husband and wife. But you know what's so funny. I was like, hey, shut up, like because I was like, it's so sweet. I was listening to the how did this get made? About this episode?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Interesting, okay, And they were joking about how like kind of gross and semi erotic it seems between huh, and I was like, you know, I get it for like comedy sake and whatever, and maybe if.
Speaker 3: I was I don't really get that sense.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, if I was in the right mood, like oh yeah, yeah, okay, But no I didn't either. I actually found it very sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I thought they calibrated that pretty well. Their connection and and and how much Amy you know, loves her, I don't know what you call him, trainer the husband apparently husband he exactly. So this is kind of a crazy moment.
Speaker 3: I know, Hecker, it's her murker homolka, thank you very much, you know what.
Speaker 1: I yeah, okay or her.
Speaker 3: Kermer whatever the hell.
Speaker 1: I'll keep it open on my laptop so I have it in front of me. But yeah, we see some racist undertones here.
Speaker 3: He goes from zero to N word pretty.
Speaker 1: Fast, yeah, which feels like, why are we doing that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's weird. Well, I think I think a couple of reasons. I think number one, they want to situate Homolka as not a good guy. Sure, and that's a if you didn't get that sense already, you know, that'll take you the rest of the way. And then they want to situate uh Monroe as the the alpha if you will, mm sure, Like he ain't standing for that ship.
Speaker 1: Sure yep ye. And he's not rattled by it, like he doesn't even not rattle's not even the like he's not like sent into like an angry mode, like he's still confident in like a few you know.
Speaker 3: See, I would have liked, and I'm not even saying this as a joke. I would have liked if he just like popped him in the face, like it doesn't doesn't get angry.
Speaker 1: But just like a pop right with a smile. Yeah exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: I think I like that too, Like what was that, you know kind of thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not a smile, that's the wrong, but yeah exactly, Like it's still like a confidence like I'm yeah, yeah, yeah exactly, I'm the alpha here. Yeah you know, so I uh, this this is leading to something very fun. They have to sedate Amy, so they put a little pill in her banana because there's no way you're gonna get Amy to jump out of an airplane makes sense, totally makes sense. This is what I was gonna say, something with this kind of interesting like them almost being shot out of the sky here these rocket launchers. Yeah, dude, I even watching Amy now freaking out. This is a complete success.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 1: I felt everything they wanted me to feel for her.
Speaker 3: I think I think that the I mean, considering that we're talking about a thirty year old effect, I think it's it's it does the trick, you know. I I think obviously technology has improved to the point where where now you could do something much more compelling via motion capture, but given what was available at the time, I think I think it does the job, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think, yeah, they're getting better and better at that, these fully CG characters. I think sometimes the mistake is they make them behave like animated characters in a live action setting, and that always throws me off. They move in this very Disneyesque, overly gestured manner. Yeah, and it's just not how people move in the real that's right. So maybe that's why I'm responding a little bit better to this because it feels a bit more tangible. But yeah, like you're saying, I mean, they've gotten much much better at it and the planet, like when.
Speaker 3: You look at the recent Apes film, certainly the and Andy Cirkis ones. I mean, I think I think on the whole they've done a good job, you know. Yeah, and this is how we know Karen is a badass exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We get to see her fire a weapon, and it is funny. I mean they mentioned that their heat seeking, but it still feels like their aim is pretty impeccable, you know, shooting like flares. I don't know that those are the most accurate, and they're well maybe they are, what do I know.
Speaker 3: And we know she's a former CIA agent, which really means that she is a current CIA agent, because anybody's a former CIA agent, you know.
Speaker 1: So we get this kind of funny moment here where it's like, well, someone's got to get Amy out of here. So basically Captain Monroe wears her like a backpack yep as he jumps out of the plane. It's kind of funny.
Speaker 3: Now now we were talking about the Tim Cray character. I think I think what's interesting also is that he's he's like a bad guy, but he's also kind of not really you know what I mean, Oh totally yeah, right, which which was also kind of weird to me, like you're sort of expecting a much more drastic heel turn from him, Yeah, where he's like willing to sacrifice everybody or something. He's yeah, he's interesting. I'm not quite sure he's he's I wouldn't call it. He ends up he ends up being kind of like Kevin J. O'Connor and the Mummy.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Whereas like the way, the way that you know, the first time we see him and we had the dramatic music, you expect a kind of a thing where he points his gun at the other people in the expedition and he's got his little satchel full of diamonds. That's what he's like, smellulator suckers.
Speaker 1: Exactly Like I'm taking the plane, yeah you know, what about us? Like what about you? And then like shuts the door or something. Yeah yeah, And then he.
Speaker 3: Turns around and there's all the gorillas and they bash his head in or something like that's a true spot. That's great.
Speaker 1: And then the plane starts rocking because he's being killed inside, and we're like, oh, I love it. I love it, but nope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something substantially lesser than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot.
Speaker 3: To mention, by the way, mister Echo, Oh yeah yeah, and I will not even attempt to pronounce his name.
Speaker 1: I know, I feel bad out of respect and also possibly disrespect nuts. Yeah, what was I gonna say?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Oh, somewhere I kind of missed it, but I guess Jimmy Buffett plays a pilot in here.
Speaker 3: That's kind of his thing, right, he just plays pilots. Yeah, yeah, because he was in something else as a pilot. And now I'm trying to remember pilot.
Speaker 1: I don't remember. I remember Jurassic World. He's the guy grabbing his margarita or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at the Jimmy Buffett restaurant yep, yep, as the dinosaurs are attacking.
Speaker 1: No. I thought this was kind of interesting. So speaking of Ernie Hudson's character, and well, I'll get to that, but basically, as I do now with these older movies, I go straight to ciskel Nieberd afterward.
Speaker 3: On YouTube they had some disagreements about this one.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Well it was hilarious because, yeah, they had their back and forth. Honestly, felt like the war inside of me after my first viewing, so Ebert kind of enjoyed it as like a silly like kind of throwback jungle adventure, probably like movies he watched when he was a kid. Then Ciskel is just like, what are you talking about? And he's like, I wasn't laughing with it. I was laughing at it, and I was like, yeah, that's funny. I kind of feel both inside of me and Ebert was like, oh, come on, you know, like Ernie Hudson's playing this kind of carry Grant style figure and Ciscl's like, what are you talking about? Yeah, it was really funny. But anyway, eber then went.
Speaker 3: On to he called Ernie Hudson a lightweight, and I said, how effing dare?
Speaker 1: But Ebertt wrote later he does say Congo is a comedy that was mislabeled as an action drama and has suffered as a result. And I was like, that's interesting. I mean, I'm sure I don't know how the filmmakers would take that. I don't think I would call it an out and out comedy, no, but it I think it could have leaned into a little bit of.
Speaker 3: A Teeters on the edge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it could have leaned into its camp possibly a little bit.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, well, look, I mean listen, it's very simple. Paramount wanted a Jurassic Park, Yes, And that's essentially what it comes down to is that I think, as written, when you say it's kind of a kind of an Allan Quartermaan King Solomon's minds type thing, that was the angle it should have taken tonally totally, yes, right, and that means it should have been a little more heightened from the jump. And I think that's the big problem is that is, you know, and you tell me if you disagree, but by the time we end up in the Lost City, I'm like, what what in the what? Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Because it's it's it's such a left turn from everything that we're led up to at this point, you know. And and I think what what they really needed to do was seed that storyline more methodically throughout, so you know, and I don't know, I you know, it's not like you can have them encounter the mutant gorillas much earlier.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. You seed sort of a heightened the Yeah.
Speaker 3: So let me put it this way, when when when they opened the arc at the end of Raiders, you are mentally prepared for that because the movie has has done the job of walking you there.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've starten with odd things along the way.
Speaker 3: That's right, right, So so yeah, you know, like when we see the arc on the boat and it burns us and not see symbol, or even at the very beginning when Indy cracks the book and he's like here you going, there's a power of God whatever, right, and.
Speaker 1: So when they're so when he's in that household and they're talking about going to the ark and then all this huge wind comes through, like basically God being like stop, yeah.
Speaker 3: You know very well. So the movie is saying it's letting you know, okay, this is the kind of movie. This is right, And I think like, like, you know, what what Jurassic Park does, when you think about it, is the very first scene. It helps you. It helps establish the exact tone of what you're going to get for the rest of the movie. You know that with the with the Raptor and Muldoon and all that, you know, shoot, exactly right it it it sets your compass for the whole movie. However, what Ascid Park also does is we see the dinosaurs within you know whatever. It is like twenty minutes, right, So it's not like suddenly we see a brachiosaur at at you know, in our forty right, right, right right, whereas this movie is. Oh and by the way, here's some mutant apes.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, like I think that's the problem is it's playing kind of weirdly comically earnest right again. You know, Jodn Bakers as evil makeevilman, Yeah, Johnny mustache twirler in your parlance. And and I think it needed more of a heightened adventure tone so that when we get to the Lost City, it feels of a piece with everything we've seen up to that point.
Speaker 1: I totally agree.
Speaker 3: Yep. Now, does it feel like the movie couldn't decide whether they were going to have a romantic relationship between Karen and Peter.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll be honest with you, I don't remember enough because I but yeah, they probably had some moments where they Yeah, they could have had a moment like Sharon tenttent. We have our own tents, Okay, Yeah, Like maybe you could have had like some playful things like that. But then she thinks she's going to rescue someone who's very close to her. So maybe that's the.
Speaker 3: Right, but I mean, you know, you can he is her ex fiance after all, so that's true, it'd be that close. Come on.
Speaker 1: But you know what, frankly, to your point, it would have been nice if Campbell was still alive. Yeah, and this is like rekindling something for her in a way, or at the very well, it doesn't even have to be rekindled, but there's like something powerful there between them that's compelling her to go through hippo infested waters. Yeah, you know, hell or high water or whatever, hell or hippo invested waters, Yeah, to go get them. You know, I would have enjoyed seeing that energy from that character. Think might have heightened things a bit.
Speaker 3: I think the problem is that Peter is kind of just a void, Like he's just not a particularly compelling character beyond his affinity for Amy.
Speaker 1: I agree, yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, And and I generally like Dylan Walsh as an actor, so I know he's capable of more. But it's really like it's just the character is a whole lot of nothing, and he's ostensibly the lead of this movie. Yeah right, and and he he gets brushed aside almost you know.
Speaker 1: No, I completely agree. Yeah, he's too he's too realistic. He's probably so many would encounter like this in real life. And it's like, you know, in the movie you want someone I don't know, Well, you.
Speaker 3: Can see the energy that Bruce Campbell would have brought to this role. Mm hmm. So it does feel like a shame that that they didn't go like maybe you swap it.
Speaker 1: I yeah, well, and then him going toe to toe with Humbuck Homlocker, you know what I mean, like you know, like slow your role there, Homlocker. You know, like that kind of energy from Campbell would be kind of fun seeing them go toe to toe. But they're both in pursuit of the same destination, but for different reasons, different energies. This is that snake thing I was talking about that felt yeah, yeah, and it just ends like it's not a set piece, you know. It's like almost feels like they actually killed a snake and they're like, well, out of respect, we should at least include it.
Speaker 3: We should leave it in for some of the family. His family knows what happened to him.
Speaker 1: That's poor snake. His family's in the movie theater, Like, wait, isn't that Jeff, He's been missing for nine months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mom when his dad coming home? Oh yeah, lie down, kids, or just stay where you stay where you are exactly.
Speaker 1: I feel bad for this poor frog. Frog doesn't know it's in a movie.
Speaker 3: Was that a real frog? I mean it could have been like a little dudadder, you know what.
Speaker 1: That's probably true. Where was I reading? There was something about they thought about Oh yeah, I have it here, So I guess Frank Marshall thought about using computers for the apes. Yes, that's because of you know, obviously Jurassic Park, but it was the hair. Yeah, computer is just more capable of it yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's it's extraordinary because you had, you know, by the way he generally the prospect of leech on penis is probably reason number one. You're not gonna see me go into the into the deep dark woods.
Speaker 1: But it's it's funny and it's like an interesting, like moment you remember, But like, doesn't it just feel so random? Like you can just imagine they're like, all right, well, what's some stuff that can happen in the jungle, like a bullet point leech on penis?
Speaker 3: You know, Well, the fact that he's like I got everybody's like, I know, I'm like, I helped the guy out. I mean, it's not it's not nothing. I know.
Speaker 1: Well, I love then Monroe gives him his cigar to burn it off, which yikes. And then and then I love that gives them the garback. I even I would have enough sense to be like, all right, I think this cigar is through.
Speaker 3: Oh shoot, I was saying something I can't remember that. Shoot.
Speaker 1: Sorry, well we were talking about fur and.
Speaker 3: Computer Yeah okay, so you had Jumanji right around those time, was ninety five, right, yeah yeah yeah, and and they had some chimpanzees and that, and yeah, I would imagine that that was the thinking like, oh we could do something, you know like that. You know.
Speaker 1: It's funny though when you watch Jumanji now it they look basically like what animatics look like.
Speaker 3: Yeahhh it doesn't hold up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so I can understand why they did.
Speaker 3: I mean, going back to what I was saying, I mean that's what made the recent apes movies such a quantum ly forward as they really licked that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean it's incredible. I highly recommend those ILM documentaries on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I started watching.
Speaker 1: I mean they're just fascinating to begin with, because you're hearing people who are their first hand working on these films. So just hearing stories about movies you love is interesting right off the bat, but they actually get into Okay, look, we need to create a water simulation. Like it sounds cool when you see it finished, but like this is math, Like we have to figure out how mathematically like these things would bounce off one another and write some sort of program and then we can turn these little triangles that somehow now understand how they would react to one another, can actually act like droplets and blah blah blah blah and fur and what. It's it's fascinating stuff.
Speaker 3: That's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you think ninety five is when Toy Story one came out also, and it's I mean that movie completely holds up, but you do see the animation and go, oh, it's interesting, like how the humans, you know, their hair looks kind of it was easier for them. You can imagine they did Toy Story with toys because it's like, well, they're made a plastic in their shiny and we don't have to deal with too many textures, right, you know that's right, So definitely early early phase of things. You know, jar Jar is like four years away.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, well and this year you had you know, you mentioned that Casper. M hm. That was the first time you had a fully cg character who was the lead of a movie essentially right right, right right, And you know, because Casper is in that movie for like forty minutes or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's kind of perfect for that because Casper is a really simple shape, yeah right, mostly just eyeballs and acute smile. So it's kind of a good place to start.
Speaker 3: Isn't it, isn't it. Devin Sawa is like the yeah, right, the I don't know if he is he the voice and he's the human.
Speaker 1: I definitely know he's the human at the end. I don't know if he does the voice. I've only seen it once. But this is John Hawk, dude, I didn't even put that together. Yeah, that's amazing. It's weird seeing him young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's also in Everest if you remember, yep, yep. He's My point is John Hawk should not go on expeditions, right, you know.
Speaker 1: I gotta admit I'm not sure I'm buying him being scared to death, dying of fear. Yeah, like it was a little silly.
Speaker 3: I don't know, right, isn't that a thing? Doesn't that happen? Due? Do people die of fright? That feels like a.
Speaker 1: Thing, right, I'm sure it's possible. But and I know he's been through a lot.
Speaker 3: He saw he saw gorillas tear his friends to pieces. Yeah, and then this other and then upsidles, this gorilla. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just feels like a lot for his heart to burst. I don't know.
Speaker 3: But then again, you know, well, let's put you in the exact same situation and let me know how it goes.
Speaker 1: I then I want you to lie at my funeral and say something else. And then this adorable gorilla came up and said, HI want breakf in sign language, and.
Speaker 3: I and Brian sh his pants, kissed himself and his head exploded. Rest in peace, brother exploded.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that can go on the death certificate.
Speaker 1: But at my funeral, please say I died defending a woman's honor or something. Okay, what do you think about everybody in the congo knowing California dreaming?
Speaker 3: It seems reasonable. I suppose, right, it's a it's a it's a catchy song. Yeah, cool.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding. I mean I kind of liked that. I was actually thinking, could I do all the lyrics to this song?
Speaker 3: I definitely could not. I could I could do the chorus.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'd be like, no, Winter Thursday, I'd be doing that to church to pray.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would basically be me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, well, you know, I think this is just a testament to how there was a time when you know, these cultural artifacts brought people together because because they transcended the globe. You know.
Speaker 1: No, in all seriousness, I think it is kind of a sweet moment, but it feels a little awkwardly executed or something to me, Like it felt like it would have been nice if there had been a lot of misunderstandings between this crew or something. Yeah, and in this one, I think that.
Speaker 3: Things they go through that bind them together.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And this is like something where that for the first time they can speak the same language and it brings them together. I think you could have wrung it a little bit more.
Speaker 3: You know. Well, I think that's the problem is is that this entire you know, this whole portion of the movie is very it's very rote. Yeah, because like we said, they're just sort of they have their you know, a little episode, something happens, and they move on to this next thing, you know, and and I think all of like this here, this is kind of an exposition scene. We're finding out about you know, the Lost City and whatever, but it should be in the context of them being on the run or on the go.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, it's very uh like limp or something like. There's no urgency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because because think about it, You've got You've got Tim Curry is trying to get to the Lost City to get his diamonds. Karen is trying to find out if if Charles is still alive. Peter is trying to get Amy to her her fellow apes. But they should have done something to kind of tie those three goals together in a way where all three are press completely agree.
Speaker 1: There's there's just no urgency here. I'm not sensing it. I'm not feeling it, you know. And yeah, I mean even if there was a little bit of you know, difficulty with the communication with this crew here and maybe snapping at them and them being like hey, like kind of snapping back in their language, and it's just like we're helping you and not connecting, and then to have them connect with that song and then get onto a new page. I think that could have been a really powerful thing.
Speaker 3: I think even even Monroe, right, like, what what has him other than being paid? Why is he invested in this expedition? Right? Yeah? You know?
Speaker 1: I yeah, I agree, And.
Speaker 3: Because he has that history with Tim Curry m hm, so maybe tie tie that in, right, like they got unfinished business from before m hm. You know, like I'm I'm, I'm, I'm gonna take you there and I'm going to prove what a piece of shit you are something like that.
Speaker 1: Something some business. Yeah, right, this is kind of interesting. So this is where the hippo thing happens, right, Yeah, yeah, it's pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hippos the most lethal land animal. Did you know that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Because those killed more people than lions. Really, yeah, I didn't know that. You do not want to get on any side of a hippo.
Speaker 1: Hungry because hungry hippo.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. That's the ironic thing is you got this childhood game that I think lulls people into thinking they're adorable, and they will chew you up and shit you out before you even realize you're dead.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, I mean I'm certainly afraid of its chomp. Yeah right, I mean it does. I mean you see those videos right where they stick these crazy things in there, like watermelons and all sorts of stuff, and they just always bananas.
Speaker 3: This is another you know, there's a story recently, maybe in the last ten years or so, of a guy who raised a hippo from infancy. Okay, and it was his pet and and let me cut to the end, the hippo ate him. Really yeah. Wow, because they're not pets, yo, they're wild animals. Leave them alone, a way to go.
Speaker 1: I gotta see this hippo. I mean, see this. This is executed really well because the only light we have is moonlight, so there's basically you know light silhouettes on everybody, and we can still tell what's going on. But it also obscures this you know, animatronic puppet in the best way possible because I think it I think it plays really well, yes, this hippo puppet, but but it is still just a hippo, meaning what like it's it's it feels like they're straining for business. Oh ablute? Well because it yeah, because then they just fire a couple of shots and then goes away. It's like the hippo comes, it chomps, they shoot at it, it goes away. That right, Like, it doesn't lead them anywhere, It doesn't accomplish anything.
Speaker 3: This is my point, right, Like, like it's not you know, a mosa sore or something, you know, like where where it's an otherworldly or or an unnatural creature based on what we're familiar with. And sure there's an added level of tension, you know. I think what should have been happening is we should have been should have been uh you know, laying laying the track for the ending.
Speaker 1: M Yes, yes, like like was that like I know they're on water, but like was that a gorilla?
Speaker 3: That was no gorilla? Yeah, you know something like that, you know. I mean it's it's it's kind of a metaphorical descent into hell, you know, so like you're going from the natural world that we know into something unnatural, you know, so that it's not like you go into the the caves and oh it's so crazy, like kind of get us there slowly.
Speaker 1: Totally agree. I have to point out I read that most of the volcano shots in this film are of ur and Allay, an active volcano in Costa Rica that I have hiked, no kidding, Yeah, I didn't recognize it, but with our friend Sean Seawan and I hiked it together. We took a trip many many years ago, a guy's trip to Costa Rica, and we actually while we were on the volcano, it's an active volcano. We saw it erupt We were on it as it was erupting. We saw rocks shooting out of it.
Speaker 3: Get out of here.
Speaker 1: We weren't near it, but it was pretty wild, pretty wild, So that was pretty that's scary. Yeah, And then we are the night before we were in a hotel and we heard like boom. We looked out and we could see the top was red and little rocks flying out of it.
Speaker 3: It kind of kind of puts in perspective how how inconsequential we are, you know, the oh.
Speaker 1: If that thing wants to take us out, it'll take us out.
Speaker 3: Right, like yep, you know, big picture, mother nature is doing our own thing, and and we're more an annoyance than anything else, you.
Speaker 1: Know, exactly, be grateful that it's mostly leaving us alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, exactly.
Speaker 1: Man, that is so funny. I mean, just watching you've really got it in my head now, like watching and just looking at a map standing on the ground, like there's just really no urgency happening here.
Speaker 3: It's it's weird, it's it's very languid, you know.
Speaker 1: Now you mentioned it earlier, but this does, by the way, I will say though, this does look really great in that I mean, these are real locations.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We have so many movies now that just simulate locations, and you really, I think our eyes are kind of adjusting to it. We're just getting you to it. But you do get the sense of disconnect between the characters and where they are. And this is pretty cool watching them go through real fog trapsing around real volcanoes, through real jungles. There's just a real palpability, you know, to their sweatiness and just the leaves slapping their faces. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: So, by the way, I wanted to comment on this so earlier. They jump out of a plane and they land like few and then the plane blows up, it gets hit by a rocket, and those poor freaking pilots are dead right, and they're basically like, wow, that was close. I'm like, not for the pilots, like they have this real lack of like, I don't know, respect for the loss of life that just happened. And so in this moment, another plane that's been sent by Laura, Lenny's employer, like a second expedition to go look for her, has been taken out of the sky and they come across the crash crest remains of it and they're like, whoa damn, and then they just keep hiking. I'm like, Oz, people are dying and they just don't seem to care.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would say even even later in the film when when Grant heslov gets gets acted right, Yeah, we barely let that register, you know. So this right here, this gorilla, I mean I was looking at it like is that is that a real gorilla?
Speaker 1: It's pretty tough to tell, right, Yeah, And I like this. I think this is filmed well. I think this has acted really well by Dylan Walsh. I can understand that feeling of fear but having to do the thing they tell you, like, yeah, don't look in the eye, but don't run and just I don't know this this scene worked for me.
Speaker 3: The the myth of the killer gorilla, right, which they allude to earlier in the movie, You know that that is something that when you think about it, has been so pronounced and you realize that, in fact, out of all the great apes, gorillas are the most gentle hmm.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Chimpanzees are the one who who they're gonna lose their shit at the drop of the hat.
Speaker 1: Really. Yeah, See, this is the fun stuff you can do in a story like this, right where you have now Amy who's very much domesticated and can even speak through this robotic right gloves. Yeah, like trying to communicate with gorillas in the wild, and I just love that her mode is Hi, hi'm Amy, how are you?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And they're like what the hell?
Speaker 3: She turns to Dylan Wallher'd be like, kill me.
Speaker 1: Why did you do this to me?
Speaker 3: Father? Kill me? You are the enemy?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's it is kind of weird seeing Laura Lenny in this movie, right, because like this is not her usual jam. She's she created such a distinguished career as like this really well respected actor and you know, dramatic actress. And to see her her in kind of just a pulpy summer blockbuster feels in congress to me.
Speaker 1: With like saying with pointing laser weapons and monkeys and being like, let's put these suckers on the endangered species exactly right.
Speaker 3: That's like something you'd see in like a Simpsons parody or something.
Speaker 1: It is, yeah, yeah, you know, yeah, I mean what was Primal Fear, Because Primal Fear was kind of after this, after this, okay, because because I know that for sure, because this is the first time I ever saw Laura Lennie. Oh okay, okay, you know, yeah, she well, and then you know, she's in Truman Show a couple of years later. Speaking of Truman I can't remember if that's part of the commentary or a bonus thing, but.
Speaker 3: That that was the bonus thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyway, but she's great in Truman Show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, she did, like you said, she doesn't tend to be in these sort of blockbustery sorts of things.
Speaker 3: Well, and and I mean she had some competition for this role. I mean they were, you know, they were looking at like Nane Lane and Susan Sarandon a couple other people, and I think, you know, I mean, she was virtually unknown at the time of this movie. So I think that ended up being kind of a good choice. Yeah. I think all of these actors. The fact that the movie turned out a hit and did okay, it benefited everybody, you know, m hm, because because pretty much all went on to have a decent career. You know, everyone in this nobody nobody, nobody got left behind, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you know, speaking of it being a hit, I mean that shows that not only did people show up because they were expecting another Jurassic Park esque kind of adventure, but they came back you know. Yeah, some people repeat viewed this thing, so it did connect with you know, enough people.
Speaker 3: Well, so that's the thing, right, because you and at least me, I'm like, you know, look, it's not I'm not gonna say it's it's good, you know, but it it fills a specific niche and it's nice when movies are able to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree, I agree. I mean this is we talk about this often. I mean, we want the multiplexus populated with historical dramas, horror films, comedies, romantic comedies, pulp you know, pulp adventures like when I give it to all of us. But this seems like a moment where maybe people were more willing to give all of those things a shot, whereas now it seems like those things are a little more fragmented, like, oh, well, the rom coms we watch on streaming and the two hundred million dollar plus epic things, you know, superhero movies whatever we go to the theater for. But it was it was nice when all of this stuff not only could be in theaters, but everyone was showing up for all of it all stuff. That's you know, when I play Cinematrix, one of the categories is one hundred million dollars plus, right, and you have to guess which movies potentially made a hundred million dollars plus. And I told some people that I play with and you and I share sometimes our answers too. But if it's a movie in the nineties, I almost always assume it made a hundred million dollar plus because it was just a heyday, yeah, for movies and theater going. Like, if if it's a movie I remember from the nineties, it probably made a hundred million plus at least worldwide. Yeah, that's just the way it was.
Speaker 3: That's a great point this summer. I mean, in addition to Congo, you had Pocahontas, you had Brave Heart, You had a water World paullout thirteen, right, like, like you know, Judge Draid was this summer, you know, Johnny Monik, right, like it was. Not all of them were hits, right, but most of the movies I said were some degree of successful. And that shows Oh and you know, I think I said Casper, etcetera. You know, like there was there was a real diversity of content and that's always good good, I think, you know. And I would also imagine that if you were ten or eleven when you watch this, and if you saw it in the theater, I mean, it would be a real nostalgic experience.
Speaker 1: I completely get that I just missed it, but I can totally imagine twelve year old Brian watching this, loving it, and then watching it again as an adult, like I know, I know, I know, but I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you know, yeah, because I know there's plenty of folks who have a lot of nostalgia for this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, speaking of when you're talking about like twelve year old and stuff, and then makes me think of this and then Jurassic Park or whatever. Michael Crane's kind of interesting to me, Like I was thinking about this earlier who was Jurassic Park written for? So it became because Michael Crichton's earlier stuff is pretty adult, you know, Westbrood, and so is Jurassic Park the book. That's what I'm saying. Like, so like West World's pretty you know, are rated in a lot of his earlier stuff, and even like Disclosure and things like those very adult stories, and then Jurassic Park just happened to be this thing. Then that got you know, Steven Spielberg, who everybody enjoys his movies, and then you know, makes a movie about dinosaurs, and of course kids are going to want to see that. So I was just thinking about when Crichton sat down and wrote Jurassic Park, it just feels like a family franchise, now, that's right, right, But when he made it, was he just thinking he was making another like adult thriller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it really when when you look at it, it's it's a reskin of Westworld.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, totally right.
Speaker 3: And and the book is I mean I haven't read it since the early nineties, but it's it's much more violent, it's much darker, yeah, and gory, yeah, you know, and and you know this is something, you know, as James Cameron and Steven Spielberg were, you know, sort of they were in pole position trying to get the rights. And Cameron has said he would have made allans yeah, and and tonally that's more in line with the book, right right, and and so yeah, I mean Crichton, Crichton had had his he he had all to himself. This air like grounded science fiction. Mm hmm, right, the same way Tom Clancy had all to himself, you know, espionage techno thrillers, and Grisham had adult legal thrillers, you know, like those are that was like the the mount Rushmore of adult fiction in the nineties. He had Clancy, Grisham and and Crichton, you know, yep, yep. And I don't know who's the for Danielle Steele. I don't know, yeah, you know, probably yeah, right and and and I think that's that's really interesting because because what oh, by the way, this the this the guy who plays Claude. I was like, God, this guy looks familiar and he's in Jordan of the Jungle. Oh interesting, I've rend and Fraser playing basically the same character. Really sound like, well, he's he's found, he's found the character to play you know. Yeah, but but Crichton, when you look at the the the books that he wrote, not all of which became successful movies, but many of them did. I mean that they they're kind of that. They're adult sci fi thrillers. Andromeda Strain and uh, you know what are Sphere Sphere which is not a good movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I've never seen either.
Speaker 3: There's a whole run of not good Christen adaptations.
Speaker 1: Disclosure.
Speaker 3: Disclosure was okay from what I remember, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's so funny. The only thing I remember about that is Michael Douglass. They tried, but they were so convinced that like VR with dazzle audiences and be like the next you know, future sick looking sort of thing. I mean, he got a lot more man and everything, and then.
Speaker 3: Basically there he goes Grant Hasla. Never a good sign when you have to slowly turn and face the camera.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and then the poor guy just had this really awkward social interaction and that's his last moment on Earth.
Speaker 3: I know, he's like, oh man, do I have to apologize? Should I get him a card? I know?
Speaker 1: Anyway, sorry you were by a killer eight. No, but disclosure. I remember, basically Michael Douglas has to get like a word file off of a computer. But they're like, but what if he did it through VR? So he's like, you see this like digital version of him walking through you know, like tense music playing walking through like an office building, digital office building, just to like recover literally like a word file off of a computer. It was so ridiculous. But no, I just the whole thing is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean when you really look at Crichton's work, not the film adaptations, but he seems like a very adult, skewing like author. And it's just funny then to think that, you know, Jurassic Park even before the film came out. I was introduced to him by buying that book at a middle school book flamm You know, it's just kind of funny that it's like, well, Spielberg's making it, so now this is for everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know what I mean, I think the fact that the Jurassic franchise is still going many years after his passing means that ultimately that's probably what he'll be most remembered for, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh easily yeah, right.
Speaker 3: He also you know, worth mentioning when it comes to Congo. He programmed or helped program a video game adaptation because he came up with the idea for the movie and then he wrote the book. He sold the screen rights to twentyth Century Fox, and at the same time he was coming up with a game like this is like early eighties, and then I guess what they realized later that all the rights were sold.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well so he basically knew how to code. He yeah, like yeah, and what you said, like, he literally made the game himself crazy right, Yeah, based on Congo. But then the contract that he had signed with Fox, they owned any sort of ancillary things dealing with Congo, so including video games. So then he was like, oh shoot, so he had to tweak it a little bit, but it still came out in nineteen eighty four. Is a game called Amazon.
Speaker 3: Amazon Yeah, and instead of Amy the Ape, it was a parrot.
Speaker 1: Ah how funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that that kind of works.
Speaker 1: That'd be funny if it was still just like Amy Gorilla. He's like whatever, but whatever. The company that produced it and put it out it was their most successful title.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: It was a successful game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it predated the movie by about ten years at least, you know, I think you know, you had Congo, which did well, So you had Jurassic and Disclosure around the same time, and then this, Oh that wasn't.
Speaker 1: Ninety five also, wasn't it Disclosure?
Speaker 3: Pretty sure?
Speaker 1: Pretty sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was either ninety four ninety five. Yeah, And then you had this run of movies that that weren't so good so and they didn't do that well. So he had Spear and what's the am I oh, of course Thirteenth Warrior.
Speaker 1: Oh, I say, I even forgot about them.
Speaker 3: See Thirteenth Warrior. The book is called Eaters of the Dead, I see, right. And and you know that movie famously ended up with a unlike this where Crichton had no involvement that one. He was like he was an ep on it, I think, and he basically recut John mctiernan's.
Speaker 1: Edit hm hm.
Speaker 3: And so the version that was released was chopped down and it's the Michael Crichton version cut. Yeah, yeah, and the McTiernan cut like does not exist. Yeah, and that one tanked yeah. And then you had was it Timeline?
Speaker 1: I think, oh, Timeline, that's right right, that was early early aughts. I think I've never seen that either. That's Richard Donner, right.
Speaker 3: Richard Donner one of his last movies that he.
Speaker 1: Did now, which people don't really tend to like.
Speaker 3: Right, Uh yeah, I can't say anything about it. Yeah, I know Paul Walker is in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, that's right, Paul Walker, Gerard Butler. So now this is very speaking of aliens. You know, we have these uh I don't want you to come like century machine gun sort of things.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, see, okay. So I think what needed to happen is the movie needed to introduce the idea of these apes way earlier in the movie.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I mean we get like the little the little snippets of them on the thing, you know, but we needed the equivalent of some of Indie cracking the book and being like these things here, you know.
Speaker 1: Maybe Tim Curry like it's it's guarded by these mythical creatures. Yeah, you know, and they're like, oh, you're crazy, you and you're made up city and you're made up.
Speaker 3: Monsters, right something like that, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they see weird like well the dressing part you see like a giant footprint and go who.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah that yeah, or even you have the Ernie Hudson character like he knows about him, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, maybe Tim Curry says that sort of thing and everyone's like, oh, come on, and then yeah he legitimizes it and goes, oh, no, I've heard that legend too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this does look kind of cool, these lasers.
Speaker 3: It is definitely very very aliens.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is a great idea too, like having then the automatic machine guns fall over and then like could possibly shoot at them. I think you could have made more of a meal out of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. See, I think the movie just takes too long to get here because essentially, now it's like twenty minutes of you know, high adventure or whatever we want to say, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, agree, And then do you kind of feel bad when these white gorillas are getting killed?
Speaker 3: Okay? Yes, So this is the problem, right, because the movie is essentially saying that these gorillas were bred so that their most violent, you know, the most violent ones were the ones that propagated, and so they killed their their you know, creators or whatever. And so I think the movie assumes that by telling us that we'll be like, so kill them all right, and and yeah, I'm with you where it's like, I don't know, maybe they don't need to laser them in half. Maybe you just maybe just leave, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, you're kind of on their turf and they're just doing what they do.
Speaker 3: So this is the thing, right, But what you needed to do was have an in story you should You needed to show that these gorillas are expanding out and killing people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Right, So in other words, they are they are a harm that needs to be dealt with, like these these are these are vicious predators in a in a way that's that's that's unnatural.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't even know if this makes sense, because then you could argue, well, people made them, so maybe this is like fitting that they hurt people. But like you could even I don't know how this works in the jungle especially, but like some sort of innocent animal mutilated somewhere and you're like, what would do that? You know, something that doesn't even know what it's doing anymore. It's you know something, you know. Yeah, they're a little they're beyond some sort of to use the wrong word humanity, you know what I mean, Like they they don't even know what they're doing anymore. They're just killing machines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because because what we have right now is is it's it's the they are in they are in the city, and they are protecting the diamonds as they were bred to do, and obviously that's bad and weird and whatever. But it's like, okay, we'll just leave then.
Speaker 1: Right, right, or at least I mean I get it, I get it, But yeah, they're doing what they were bred to do, and I just kind of feel bad as they're getting lasered in half.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Really, Yeah, I think that that's a tough one, right, because the movies view towards the gorillas in general is an empathetic one. M you know, the silver backs and Amy and whatever, and so it feels very bipolar.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, but maybe even of its time in a weird sort of way, like that joke of Lenny says later about like trying to put these things on the endangered species list. Yeah, I feel like we as a society now have a little more empathy for that sort of thing. Like where I could see that being kind of a joke maybe in the nineties, you know, where we didn't think about those things is sensitively.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think, I'm trying to remember what the general societal view was back then. I mean, I feel like people were generally empathetic towards animals back then.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, I don't know, I just I know there was a little bit more of a reverence or like a like it's so funny because like woke and all that stuff is the words we hear now, But like I remember when, like political correctness was a big thing in the nineties and it was kind of a funny thing to buy.
Speaker 3: That's what used to be called woke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but it was it didn't feel as like nasty and pointed and calculated as it is now. H yeah.
Speaker 3: But just using Jurassic as a point of comparison, right, Like you watch the movie and you're not like, oh, kill the dinosaurs exactly, yes, right, yeah, So you're in awe of them, you're scared of them, we're trying to get away from them, but you're not like laser them in half.
Speaker 1: You know that's true. I mean, well, and it just kind of shows what an amazing filmmaker, the understanding that Spielberg has for his audience. Yeah, he knows how to handle these killing Some of them are just killing machines velociraptors, but like he knows that, like we wouldn't enjoy seeing one completely destroyed human. Yeah, he finds that balance perfectly. Okay, so something I thought, but I just didn't let my brain go down that path. But then when I listened to I have to credit that how did this get made? Podcast? They were like, it's so funny when they go in the Diamond mind and the diamonds are just randomly like laying on top of the surface. It's so like, like, what that's so true? Is that funny? I remember kind of thinking it, but not again, I just wasn't as plugged in enough to really let it sink in. But like it is very silly.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so maybe because we see bones of other well I guess those are bones of other gorillas, right, but maybe there have been people who made it this far and and those are the diamonds that they tried to escape with, and so they've just liked that there you go.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it would have been kind of cool then to play off of that where maybe it's in a satchel yeah or something. It's like, wow, someone was here, But what do you think happened to them? Why did they why did they drop this and leave it behind? And then you go in a room and find all these bones and go, oh, I think that that would have worked better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see, I think nowadays you would have much bigger CGI hordes. Oh right, yeah, I think that's kind of the thing, Like maybe maybe that's part of the problem. Is it feels a little like there's probably like a dozen of these guys here, you know, and we're just lasering them, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So so according to the book, there's an autopsy scene at some point in the book and they see that these these gorillas are the product of a gorilla DNA and chimpanzee DNA and even human DNA, which let's wonder how that happened. Moving on, Yeah, and that's why they're they're freaking horrific looking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe if you made him look more even more mutant, like.
Speaker 3: Let's let's pour one out for mister Homolka. Yeah see, okay, so so and I'll let you get back to your point, but that right there, when Tim Curry dies, I don't think like I feel kind of bad for him, right, And I don't think the movie knows what it wants us to feel about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or even spends time to care.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry you were saying, no, no, I don't remember, but I alluded to this earlier. But speaking of the very similitude of the jungle and everything that I was saying earlier, now you walk into what you said earlier feels like a Universal Studio stunt show spectacular, which is basically just like a box.
Speaker 3: Of a room.
Speaker 1: It has red. Yeah, you know, it's just I don't know. You just don't buy it as this cool, dusty, dark, dank hidden mine, like legendary mythic hidden mind, you know. And so what I had read that I thought was kind of interesting. Stan Winston he was never fully satisfied with the gray gorillas and the way that they looked. But he pointed out, you know, in something like that, you would try to it's not just about what the suit looks like. It's also how do you light it? Does it? How do you capture it on camera? And he was saying he hated this set because it's just this big, cavernous set and for that reason, you couldn't put foliage or anything in there that could be lit in a certain way that would dapple all the characters in there and obscure the more mysterious, weird jnky looking characters.
Speaker 3: Interesting, isn't it interesting?
Speaker 1: I was like, Oh, that's a really great point. I mean, when you have these things that are not going to ever look quite realistic to the human eye, well then you have to like creatively to obscure them a little bit and make them mysterious and make it work. But he's saying, in this big cavernous room, nothing for the light to go through and create interesting shadows. You just get these brightly lit, weird looking monkey suits, and it looks a little odd, It looks a little We both clocked it earlier, just saying this is kind of a flat looking scene, unfortunately interesting and it's interesting. Hearing Sam Winston comment on his satisfaction with it and saying that his work doesn't come across the best.
Speaker 3: That it could for that reason, I think he's probably on point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, we see earlier with the Campbell character's corpse there, I'm like, why wouldn't you give us the close up, like give us his face?
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally right.
Speaker 3: It's weird that they didn't. The other the other thought. I had this random but like when when Karen she comes into says, she's like, she calls out Charles and then she's like Charlie. And I was like, I feel like, if you're a Charles, you're not a Charlie, but you've locked in. But then I was like, it'd be funny if she's like Charlie, Chuck, Chazz, You're right, Chucky, you know, sea dog. But yeah, that's weird. It's clearly like a dummy that looks like Bruce Campbell. But I'm like, why don't you just like just get get a b roll shot of him, like his face, we should get that. Yeah, you know, you know he the frozen look of horror on his face or something. But I feel like we should have got that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, no, I don't disagree. It's kind of funny, this toss off exposition mother's instinct. What do you know about that?
Speaker 3: Let's go anyway, put them on the endangered species.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's looking. I mean that's another thing too, like you could sort of obscure the violence a little bit, but they're like, look at this. Poor things like arm get chopped off.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I'm saying, like, now, like what we know of Laura Lenny, it just feels very incongruous, you know, yeah, yeah, it's like Helen Mirren in a Fast and Furious movie. Now you're like, what something's off about that? You know? Yeah? Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And by the way, like I you know, yeah, I mean, these things are attacking. This is a bit of a defense, yes, for the humans, But I just feel like you could make the execution a little more nuanced and it might not have those thoughts even enter our minds.
Speaker 3: Now, is there is there some in story explanation for why the volcano starts erupting?
Speaker 1: Well, you know that, not that I'm aware of, but it would be interesting if it'd be like they took too much.
Speaker 3: These gorillas are jumping right into the lava, so you.
Speaker 1: Know there is the there do there there? You know, they weren't meant to survive.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a Darwinian effect exactly exactly, but yeah.
Speaker 1: It should it should have been a result of something they're doing, because.
Speaker 3: There's invaders here, yes exactly.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, kind of like Indiana Jones right when he messes with something in a temple.
Speaker 3: It's you know what they should have been. I'll tell you you have Tim Curry. He goes he gets a whole bunch of bunch of diamonds, okay, and then he's walking away, his pockets are loaded up, and then he kind of sees like a glint out of the corner of his end, and he goes over and this is big honkin diamond and he's like, he rubs his hands together and he yanks it out. And that was the cork that was holding in all the lava.
Speaker 1: That was a cork diamond, you fool.
Speaker 3: He pulls it out and he's all happy, and then bra it starts coming out.
Speaker 1: I mean something like that, actually in that arena feels possible, you know what I mean, Like, maybe not like that on the nose, but yeah, you know, like that's what I'm saying, like the result of greed or hubrist or something. Yeah, I mean, this stuff could be like a set or something, but I still think it looks kind of impressive and cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this stuff, I don't mind. It's the inside the cave stuff just looks a little too a little to channel fifty syndication, you know.
Speaker 1: Agreed.
Speaker 3: See, once she got a taste of that laser.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she do we ever introduce this weapon because they want the.
Speaker 3: No, that's the funny thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, because the diamond is supposed to be for like a telecom that's satellite.
Speaker 3: It's like her pulling out a lightsaber in the third act.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, what, Well, because it would make sense if the dad, who's clearly evil, yeah, knew this and maybe even one of the diamonds, like yeah, telecom whatever, like, actually, we have a contract with the military these weapons you don't know about. Laura Lenny would be opposed to it. Yes, So why does she have this weapon? Why does she even know that?
Speaker 3: This is? No she like jury rigged, like she like mcguibird a laser?
Speaker 1: Oh did she?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, now this is this is.
Speaker 3: A thing that bugs me in movies in general, where we see characters outrun lava. Sure, I'm like, you're not outrunning lava.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I'm not an expert, but I know enough to know that if if there's a lava flow within you know your eye line, you're you're you're about to be cooked.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. Well, I hope I never find out.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, don't go hiking on that mountain again.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, this is probably a part. Yeah, that's right, this is probably a you know, part of the Congo book. But that is interesting this writer Joe versus the volcano, and then you have a whole volcano set piece at the end of this too.
Speaker 3: There you go. Maybe that's why he signed on. He just like this is his particular passion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know we mentioned Jerry Goldsmith, but I don't know if you looked in the credits, did you see that James Newton Howard was also credited.
Speaker 3: I didn't that.
Speaker 1: Actually, I thought that was interesting, so I looked into it. Goldsmith was brought on when this was being talked about in the early eighties, okay, and when it was going into production in the nineties, James Newton Howard was hired. Okay, So he wrote I guess a tribal chant that was earlier in the movie, but at some point he had to back out of it, out of the movie, and Goldsmith was brought back, so he ultimately did the majority of the score. But James Newton Howard has some work in the movie.
Speaker 3: Oh that's okay. Goldsmith would always come through in a clutch man. They'd be like you got, you got, you got six days, and he'd be like, step aside, let the maestro work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a great score.
Speaker 3: I think it is.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. I was flipping channels the other night and I saw this movie. I wonder if other people have nostalgia for this, but it was very terrible. It was called Mom and Dad Saved the World. I think, okay, my Mom and Dad said the Galaxy or something. It was Terry Garr Jeffrey Jones. Famously, John Lovettz was fired from SNL for being in that movie, and so I just kind of knew what it was, and so I stopped on it and I was like, this movie looks bad, Like the production value is very bad. I was like, what is this score? The score is like not terrible and so curiosity IMDb. Harry Goldsmith Jerry Goldsmith, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, my man was cranking stuff out in the nineties. Yeah, like if it was an action movie, easily, you know, better than than than the forty chance that it was Jerry Goldsmith.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, he's solid.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love Horner. You know, they were doing a lot in the nineties, you know, Oh, Man Horner RP.
Speaker 1: He's a rip legend. I love her, like shooting a satellite from space just with this like thing like take this, you know they like like.
Speaker 3: Well, and I love that. Jodn Baker Man, he's just he's in. He's in that one one tier. What about the diamond, my diamond diamond?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she even has to like spelled out this was never about your son, screwmas On. Where's the diamond?
Speaker 3: My diamond's my real son. I never loved him anyway.
Speaker 1: I just love the idea of like being able to like a lock onto a satellite from like the ground, and just.
Speaker 3: I feel like people knew enough in the nineties to know that was probably not realistic and they're like we don't.
Speaker 1: Care, or like I wouldn't want to stand next to her. That feels like there'd be a lot of firepower.
Speaker 3: Possibly.
Speaker 1: Well, now we get the sad goodbye. Amy wants a boyfriend.
Speaker 3: And yet it's it's it's a better life for her.
Speaker 1: I hope, I gotta be honest. I mean, these silver Backs seem kind of welcoming, but she is not conditioned for the wilds. That's a good point, right, She's been fed food out of coolers and sedated when anything scary happened.
Speaker 3: And bananas with pills in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, wearing three D glasses with her buds drinking.
Speaker 3: She asks for martini. They had the downhill pretty fast, and.
Speaker 1: That would actually be funny, and you know, asking for martini and the other ones like what's a martini and she's like no, And then we just cut back to the humans in their hot air balloon. Like that's the end of that chapter.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean I can understand people being like, oh, it's weird. They love each other. Nah, this is very sweet to me.
Speaker 3: The Peter Amy stuff, I totally track with me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The the you know, it's convenient that the volcano erupted just in time to wipe out any evidence of the lost city of Zinge. You know it was it laid dormant for god knows how long. But again, we just we just needed that pulling the cork scene with Tim Curry. That would have.
Speaker 1: Pulling the cork that should be added, like jump the shark, you know, like cork Like that means like, oh, they had an opportunity to do something they didn't capitalize on the should.
Speaker 3: Have pulled the cork. Now this Now, the thought I had with this is why would they assume that they won't get shot down?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Here right back in the air, yes, right. Well.
Speaker 1: I was also thinking it's funny because they're like, let's see where the wind takes us. And then my brain was like, hilarious if the wind was blowing them toward the volcano and they're.
Speaker 3: Like, ah, okay, now explain to me why she throws why she has the diamond thrown away?
Speaker 1: There's no point, man, They went through so much, right, I would benefit from it down there.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about that. I was like, that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: No, they're not stealing from culture, they're not stealing from like a museum. You may as well keep that as some sort of like I don't know, benefit out of this entire thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I. He was so baffling to me because I'm like, a better button would have been, yes, one of the characters finding it and like oh look here you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and like maybe the you know, the gorilla program you know that doctor Peter had was like losing its funding, you know, something like yeah, it benefits them in some way. That's noble right something.
Speaker 3: You know, you have them to look at the volcano and be like, you know, it's like like it never existed, and then you know it holds up a diamond. Monroe maybe he's like, are you sure about that? You know, kind of totally, and maybe he Monroe finds it and he just tosses it to Peter something like that, like he doesn't need it.
Speaker 1: You're making me. You give me that feel where I'm getting like giddy and I'm like, zactly, I want to write a movie with you. This would be so much fun, just spitball in a room.
Speaker 3: I'd love it. Well, I love I love workshopping when we watch this stuff, you know, mm hmmmm hmm.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so now we're watching the credits. I really wasn't exactly sure how I felt after first viewing this was a blast. I could see now I have like sort of a familiarity with it and I know what it is, and I can kind of laugh at parts and also be like, oh, that part's not so bad, and I can see it being one of those movies where if I was flipping channels like oh, this part's like kind of fun and stopping on it where I had no relationship with this before.
Speaker 3: So I'm yeah, I'm very curious about that. So so when you first watched it like two days ago, you're just like, what what did I just watch?
Speaker 1: Kind of I mean, it just felt like.
Speaker 3: Real quick under featuring we have ad Wale, right, and that's that's mister Echo. Oh and he's got a very elaborate last name. You know.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, they don't even give you.
Speaker 3: He's like share and I'm like, yeah, I was like, hey, I guess I guess that's all you need is just the one name. Yeah, is Jimmy Buffett as the seventy seven pilot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, you were saying, oh, no, no, no, no, I just yeah, I just I was like, oh, Frank Welker of course naturally making the gorilla noises.
Speaker 3: Of course Amy's voice. By the way, they they initially were were thinking of Kim Basinger, what which like that would sound kind of horny probably right, See.
Speaker 1: That's yes, that's where it would have gone wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they did the right, the right approach to that.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh, Peter, yeah, Peter, it makes me a martini like that'd be I don't know, I don't know about that one.
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry you were saying no, no, no, I just yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I was confused, like I said, with the ciskel Kniebert inside of me, kind of arguing over is this CAMPI in fun? Or is this just a bad movie?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Is this like I just didn't know because I was quite prepared. Yeah, but now I kind of see it for it's kind of all the above, and it does make it charming in its own way. Yeah, as an artifact, I would say, I don't know that I would recommend, like I'm going to leave this room and then go tell my brother, like, you know, you should watch the Night.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, Hey, I would agree with that. I I I definitely I look at this and and just as our conversation you know, alludes to, you know, I see the ways it could have potentially been a more engrossing adaptation. Again, not having read the book, I should say, but but yeah, it was. It was of its time, and you know, I always say, like, you know, there there there was room in the marketplace for something that was a little off kilter like this totally and and even in its imperfections, I mean it's it's you know, it allows us to have a conversation like this where you know, we laugh and I think that's that's a good thing, you know.
Speaker 1: I agree, And and to your point earlier, if I was ten or something and saw this for the first time, I could totally imagine it, yeah, imprinting on me in a certain sort of way, and then years later watching it for fun to be nostalgic.
Speaker 3: Yep. By the way, we should say orchestrations by Alexander Courage. Alexander Courage, of course, wrote the Star Trek original television series theme Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He used to work with Goldsmith a lot. He would he would, you know, take take the music that Goldsmith wrote and tweak it or whatever. And sometimes he would conduct his orchestras too.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: That's cool. But hey, that's our thoughts on Congo. And let us know what you think about not only the film but what we have to say. You know, Like I said, We've gotten many requests for this one over the years, so I'd love to hear the thoughts from from our listeners. You can you can emails those thoughts at Movie Film Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook paid Facebook dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast and message us there as always. If you like what we're doing, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps and oh, we also have a Patreon page.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right. If you head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done in every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show, So no awkward ad breaks and interruptions. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 3: There we go, and with that on behalf of my partner Brian Home. My name is Zachison. This has been our commentary track for Congo. Thank you all for listening. We'll catch you next time.