Speaker 1: All right, well, it's good drivetime Monday afternoon, fourteen minutes past the hour of two o'clock.
Speaker 2: It is cold.
Speaker 1: It is great because it's January and Utah, almost halfway through January. We're gonna get through your kids, you and me together and as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the red bench check.
Speaker 2: It's behind the mic.
Speaker 1: That young man is Porter Larsen beyond the Glass today producing this radio program to tach until six o'clock tonight in time for Monday Night Football. It should be a good one tonight, as the weekend in Pro football is behind us with some really good games and some games that were just so so, but it will culminate tonight. The Wildcard weekend will wrap up with the Vikings and the Rams from Glendale, Arizona. This game was supposed to be played at SOFI, but it was moved as a result of the fires in the greater Los Angeles area.
Speaker 2: Of course, continuing to send.
Speaker 1: Good wishes and thoughts and all the good things to the folks in LA and the greater area that have been affected by just a horrible couple of weeks, but NFL moved to Glendale tonight at State Farm Stadium, don't call it.
Speaker 2: State Farm Arena.
Speaker 1: Minnesota is a two point five point favorite that over under his forty seven point five. Local boy Pooka and Nikua will be in action tonight. A lot of local guys making players making plays over the weekend. How about Bobby Wagner, Dude does not age and a really really fun story the surfacing for the Washington Commanders as Jaden Daniels and as a rookie quarterback was able to go down to Tampa take care of Baker Mayfield and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I've ever heard a more.
Speaker 1: Negative news cycle surrounding a team that won their playoff game rather comfortably as I've heard about.
Speaker 2: The Philadelphia Eagles over the past.
Speaker 1: You know, sixteen seventeen hours or so, the Packers were without like five offensive players.
Speaker 2: Jordan Love, Utah Staate Alum was playing.
Speaker 1: Without Christian Watson, lost a couple of other receivers to offensive linemen, and I suppose if you're an Eagles fan, you want something more convincing.
Speaker 2: But they were never in danger of losing that game.
Speaker 1: After a slow start, the Bills undressed the Broncos at home. Ravens handled the Steelers on Saturday, and then.
Speaker 2: The Texans really took it to the Chargers.
Speaker 1: So we'll look back on the wild card weekend.
Speaker 2: We'll give you a bit of a divisional.
Speaker 1: Round preview ToxS of NFL football on the show Today. I want to give a big hug and congratulations to Mike McCarthy who will escape Jerry's world and will not return as the Cowboys head coach.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Since you and I last spoke, the New England Patriots have hired Mike Vrabel to try to bring them back to respectability, and we have the CFP final matchup between Ohio State and No.
Speaker 2: Tr Dame, so a lot to do on the show.
Speaker 1: The Utah Jazz continue to, at least from my standpoint, provide a little bit more excitement for the direction of the organization, and games recently have been either competitive or the Jazz have won. They sat like half their team against a bad Brooklyn Nets team. Brooklyn's kind of doing what Utah is doing, and the Jazz we're able to get that win. And Isaiah Collier, after a horrific mistake in regulation, called for an eight second violation hits the game winn and overtime, and the Jazz beat the Brooklyn Nets.
Speaker 2: And that is their third home win of the season. Am I reading that right? Oh?
Speaker 1: I know they had lost ninth straight games at home. Sorry, don't mean to be pessimistic. I'm gonna be nice about the Jazz. They got a night off tonight and tomorrow they're back in action on Wednesday against the Hornets.
Speaker 3: So we'll do some.
Speaker 1: NBA A, We'll to do some jazz on the show.
Speaker 2: Can we get I don't know.
Speaker 1: If it's a standing, oh, but can we get a little Can we clap it out for the Utah men's basketball team? Can we give the Utes a little love today on a Monday afternoon for grabbing a Big twelve win over Oklahoma State here in Salt Lake at the Huntsman.
Speaker 2: Center BYU woof.
Speaker 1: I mean we knew Utah was going to struggle BYU audacious expectations according to some, and they are just off to a bad start.
Speaker 2: Watch the game.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, they were on the road at TCU BYU one and three in Big twelve play ten and five. Overall, this conference is nuts. It's really high quality college college basketball if you're into such things, so local landscape college basketball, not a lot of local college football stuff. By you picked up a good recruit over the weekend at the Senior Bowl. I was actually watching that game live and didn't realize I was about to stumble upon a news story. We'll tell you who that is, Counto Tonavas's book to Cassel, shedding some more light on his decision to leave Utah for BYU. But I think it's probably time to let that story die. I don't know how much meat is left on that bone. But good guest list on a Monday, it did feel like there was a little bit of a running back kind of retribution story over the weekend. Saquon Barkley, Derek Henry, James Cook, and we have an NFL running back on our show today. His name is Zach Moss. He's one of the best football players to ever play in the state of Utah and one of the best youths of all times. Zac STAPs about today to talk a little NFL from college. Stevenson Sylvester continues to con station, You're gonna talk a lot.
Speaker 2: Of NFL with slat today.
Speaker 1: Get us thoughts on the Wildcard round, what's head in the division A round? Bobby Marks, espn NBA front office guy will stop by and then we're gonna chat with Brian Dunseeth. We were hoping to get an RSL front office member and we will sooner rather than later, because someone's got some explaining to do as RSL has Jettensen excuse me off. Most of it's attacking eleven and eighteen quite frankly, and a lot of holes to plug for this soccer club. So we'll see what Donny has to say as rare al saw Lake, San Chico, Rango to San Jose for really pennies on the dollar, a lot of college football, a lot of NFL football, Little NBA gonna gets you ready for a wild card give you all the up to date news with the NFL coaching carousel and good guest list with Zach Moss, Stevens and Sylvester, Bobby Marks and Brian dun Seth, Me Spence checkets, Happy Monday. I hope you had a great weekend off to a great start to that work week. And that guy Porter Larson who is a Cowboys fan and met today's news that Mike McCarthy is out.
Speaker 2: With the emotion that is blank obvious.
Speaker 3: Duh.
Speaker 2: I don't know exactly what this done emotion. I don't know, it could be I'm not judging.
Speaker 4: And I don't really know where to fall with the emotions, because this is something I've been asking for since before last off season. And if you remember last off season, oh, I don't know, there was a coaching market that involved Jim Harbaugh, Bill Belichick, Mike Rabel, blah blah blah, blah blah. You go on and on about the coaches that were available last off season, and it was obvious then as obvious as it is today that Mike McCarthy thing wasn't going to work. And so the Cowboys are now where we were when Jason Garrett got let go of Nothing about what they've done in Jerry's world in the last decade inspires any confidence in me in the next step.
Speaker 5: But I'm hopefully optimistic.
Speaker 2: I'll just say that, all right, all right, I'd love to hear it.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Resident Cowboy fan Porter Larson on the program today, Jordan loved to be the Cowboys in the playoffs last year.
Speaker 2: Could not get that done this season.
Speaker 1: We'll do some NFL and Zach Mawson is going to join us right out of.
Speaker 2: The gates today before we get to Zach.
Speaker 1: On this Monday afternoon, courtesy of our friends at Standard Restaurant Supply, it's your tailgate headquarters.
Speaker 2: Get everything you need to make your tailgate epic.
Speaker 1: Stop by their location with thirty five hundred Southwest Temple or online at Standard restaurant dot com.
Speaker 2: It's time now for the opening Tip.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check. It's on Utah's number one sports talk. Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply, thirty five hundred Southwest Temple.
Speaker 1: I'm not making this a topic for the opening tip today. I'm just kind of observing that we've all lost our minds in this society as of today. Kids, you can go lay money down on the twenty twenty six college national champion. That's right, we have odds Texas is your favorite that it's Georgia and Ohio State, both BYU and Utah right now are plus ten thousand to win the national championship next year. That puts him in the same stratosphere as North Carolina, Colorado. Let's see Illinois, Iowa State, Boise State, and that's the area that odds makers are telling you BYU and Utah exist. And it is so wild that in January of twenty four we're able to put odds down money down on the odds for the national champion twenty six. But we're not going to spend any time on that today outside of.
Speaker 2: What we already have because it's irrelevant.
Speaker 1: All right, wildcar Weekend in the NFL, We'll wrap up tonight with a Monday night football game in Glendale, Arizona. It's been moved from Los Angeles. It's Minnesota and it's the La Rams. I think this is going to be a really good game. I don't think Minnesota is the right side here, but they are a two point five point favorite and the spread is forty excuse me, the over under is forty seven point five. The line did move the way of the Vikings when it was taken away way from the Rams as a home game. Obviously, local angle Pokinakua has had an incredible sophomore season after his historic rookie year, he battled some injuries but little local flavor on the field tonight, a lot of local flavor over the weekend in pro football, and you know, I wanted to hone in a little bit on what I perceived to be a really odd reaction to the win that the Eagles had over the Packers. Now, I like Jalen, I think I like him more than most, but I understand at times you're watching an offense that has two like super elite wideouts and DeVante Smith and aj Brown and a top shelf tight end. Now that Dallas Goddard is now healthy, that touchdown catch he had was incredible. And the Packers started the game without Christian Watson, then they lost Jayden Reid, and they even lost Josh Jacobs, who had an insanely effective game, so they were down like six offensive starters, and of course I'd cheer for our local guys. Brittain Covey unfortunately is on the injured reserve as an Eagle, and Jordan Love played his college ball at Utah State, so hoping to see Jordan have a better game, and he struggled, but he didn't have time to throw it, and he didn't have three of his top five offensive weapons, maybe four of his top six. So I get why you watch the Eagles and maybe want more from Jalen, Like you win the turnover battle by four, and you're up sixteen ten in the fourth and you only throw for one hundred and thirty one yards. Saquon went for one hundred and nineteen twenty five carries one hundred nineteen yards.
Speaker 2: Could have been like one hundred.
Speaker 1: And seventy with a touchdown, but he decided to just kind of hit the turf after he broke that last run in the in the fourth quarter where pay dirt was there, but he just decided to fall down and win the game. And I get it from a team standpoint, smart thing to do. Your boy may have been playing a DraftKings lineup with Saquon as the captain, wouldn't have minded. Sequan decided to go get that six. Nonetheless, but ultimately, Philly to me, look, they're not Kansas City, and I'm starting to feel like this is Josh Allen's year.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The Bills Broncos game started out as pretty tenuous back and forth. The Broncos have a really, really good defense. Sean Payton's a really, really good coach, but like all year long, Josh Allen to me, has proven to be inevitable, and they figured it out. Dalton Kinkaid had three catches, he had that big time catch in the second half, and that game was it was not a fair fight, even though the start ultimately was back and forth, and if you're a Bills fan, you were probably a little bit nervous.
Speaker 2: But Josh Allen, it feels like, and I said this about.
Speaker 1: Aaron Rodgers for a long long time, and even though our guy is busy taking ayahuasca and talking to caterpillars as they turned into butterflies, there was a moment in time where I'm like, I've never seen anybody play the quarterback position like Aaron Rodgers plays a quarterback position, and he's too talented to not win a Super Bowl. And then he got his, and I still felt like, you know, and certainly the history of pro football. Scott Mitchell himself, who backed up Dan Marino, said Dan Marino is the best thrower of a football he's ever seen before. Dan never won one, but when you know, you see Eli Manning get a couple, you see Peyton, get a couple of Brady of course, with a grip of them with seven going to I always felt like Aaron was too talented to really only win one quite frankly, and he's not going to get another one, like obviously that ship has sailed.
Speaker 2: But that's how I feel about Josh.
Speaker 1: And just like you know the greatest teams that I cheered for in New York with the Knicks and here in Salt Lake with the Jazz, those two Jazz, you know, those two teams in the nineties, The Knicks and the Jazz had one thing in common about what stood in their way to get rings. Had nothing to do with their talent. It had nothing to do with their coaching, had nothing to do with anything that they did. They simply had the misfortune of playing their best basketball at a time where this dude happened to play in Chicago and wear twenty three on his back and just nobody could beat Mike Cup and Spring. You just couldn't do it when he was at his peak. And that's when the Knicks and the Jazz and the nineties had their best teams and ultimately Josh's krypton. I could be fifteen for Kansas City. Simply put, Kansas City, though, feels a little bit more vulnerable than they have in years past. By the way, I still think they're gonna win it. That's just the confidence I have. And Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. But Josh Allen, to me, this year feels like it might be his time. And I'm also cheering a little bit for Lamar Lamar Jackson, the Baltimore Ravens, who had a good, not dominant win over a Steelers team that I don't know, felt a little bit unserious after that great start. But I've been a little bit surprised at how many people who I respect and cover the game and know the game of football are really down on the Eagles despite a pretty.
Speaker 2: Dominant win in the Wildcard round against the Packers.
Speaker 1: Wild Card weekend in Pro football ends tonight with a Monday Night Slates in Glendale, Arizona State Farm Stadium, Vikings Rams, Minnesota two point five point favorite. Let's talks more football today right now with one of our favorites, one of the best ever. Due's at the University of Utah now with the Cincinnati Bengals. You guys know you love him. Zach Moss on a Monday afternoon. Zach, Happy Monday man. How are we doing?
Speaker 2: Happy money man, I'm going to I've been good. I appreciate the time as always.
Speaker 1: So how much how much of the playoffs did you consume this weekend? I know obviously you guys unfortunately were eliminated after a great end of the season. Is it hard to watch or you're just kind of a football guy and you want to tune in?
Speaker 7: You know, it's always hard to watch obviously, you know from a competitive standpoint. You know, I've made personally good playoffs the last three seasons, I want to say now, so you know, competitively, you always want to be in that and you know it rises your gameplay and all that type of stuff. But definitely just been you know, enjoying the time off, you know, off season, and just watching the games and watching guys that I know around the league, you know, chase after that championship, it's.
Speaker 2: Actually where I wanted to go next.
Speaker 1: Is there a rooting interest do you cheer for your fellow AFC North teams? Are you looking at former teammates, former uts? Is there one team you want to see get this done?
Speaker 7: I don't have one specific team. I think just you know, I just want to, you know, see really good football. You don't want to see blowouts and you know, you know, games where it's a lot of turnovers and it favors one side or the other. I think, you know, just one of those heavyweight, you know battles. Looking forward to the Buffalo Baltimore game, I think it'll be one of those games. I'm you know, mentioning right now. So I'd just like to sit back watch them and you know, hopefully we get a good game.
Speaker 2: I probably bury the lead man, give us a health up date.
Speaker 1: How you doing, what's the rehab process like, and what are some of your next steps?
Speaker 7: Doing good man, feeling good? Uh, you know, blessed in that aspect, you know. I'm just you know, home, been home for a few months now, you know, with the family and things like that, so you know, being able to, you know, even in a in a bitter way as in not being able to go out and perform on Sundays, but not being able to be home and performing that way. So uh, you know, it's always a positive somewhere. So I'm just enjoying the positives that I do have currently. But I'm feeling good, rehabbing is going with and things like that, and you know, Brady to get back up there next season.
Speaker 2: Good to hear you play for a team, Zach.
Speaker 1: That was a topic of conversation for a lot of people that cover pro football, and of course you were a conversation for us here on the show because we track your progress and cheer for you. And you know, I'm not one that's like Joe Burrow's number one or number three or number I don't know where he is in the pantheonic quarterbacks in this league. But Zach, he's as good. He's as good sometimes I feel like he's as good as anyone, if not better. And you guys on offense are electric, dynamic, and we're among the best offenses in the entire AFC. So I feel like there is a foundation set in Cincinnati. If you just tweak a couple of things, you're going to be right there. What's kind of the mindset in that locker room?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Mom, you know, you know, obviously I can speak, you know, mainly only for offensive Why you know, we have just so many guys on off the side of the ball that can do a lot of different things, which is going to cause problems for teams just you know, at the end of the day, you know, luckily I've been able to play two really really good quarterbacks in their primes, at the top of their games and things like that in Borough now and the first few years out in the league with uh with Josh, So I've been able to see two guys, you know, and how they go about the game and just the cerebral part of it and things like that. And you know, we we got a really good team, Like you said, we got pieces just like every other team, so we got to fill in to get a little better and things of that nature. And you know, we play in a very very difficult division where it's you know, usually going to be probably three team race to get into the playoffs out of one division. So you know, we'll be back, and you know, we know what we need to do now and what it looks like and what it needs to look like. So excited for that part of things, and it'll be a new challenge.
Speaker 1: So you were the third best offense in the AFC this year, but defensively, the team that gave out the same amount of points that you did was the Raiders, who won four games all year and I don't I'm not asking you to, nor would you ever throw a team mate under the bus. But does it get challenging when you feel like you're playing on the side of the ball that's carrying their weight and you're kind of looking around going like, dude, what gives Like we're doing everything we can here?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you know, obviously it gets to some degree challenging. I mean you kind of have to look at it in the lens of you know, when you're doing a school project, right who's who's doing you know, part of the project, and then you know the ones that are in but they want to credit and things of that nature. But like I said, you know, we got a lot of guys had to step up, you know, young guys, just both sides of the ball. Honestly, at end of the day, you know, we can't go out there and win the game without defense and vice versa. And you can interject special team into that as well. It's a you know, got to have all of the guys on both sides of the balls, uh, you know, clicking at the right time and doing the right things over and over and that's how you are able to be successful in this league, and like I said, with our division being so tough, it's going to be usually a three team race out of one vision and it's only so many spots. Uh, you can't have a lot of the things that happen to us where you know, sometimes it's player things, sometimes it's you know, the ball just didn't roll all the way, we didn't get that bounce, and things of that nature. So you know, at the end of the day is you know it was last year. Now we can learn from those things and you know, move forward and hopefully we don't repeat those things.
Speaker 1: So I'm kind of gonna ask you a similar question about one of your teammates that I asked you about Burrow, but I'm going to be a little bit more demonstrative in my opinion, because I think a lot of people feel like Justin Jefferson is the best wide receiver in pro football, And for me, it's like every time I it just it feels like he is an impossible cover. He can do anything from that position. And you've played in the league and in college with a lot of really talented, skilled position players. But what makes Jamar Chase who he is? What stands out most about the way he prepares and what's it like to watch him do what he does.
Speaker 2: We can weak out. Like I said, I think he's the best in the game right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, like again, I've been lucky to, you know, like you said, play with a lot of really really good players and across this league and obviously played with Stefan Diggs and things of that nature and got to see him.
Speaker 7: You know, work and things like that. Jamar is just you know, very very different in the sense of one. You know, his athletic ability separates him from so many guys. Just buy that alone. It's really not fair on what he's able to do. He has the speed of the receiver, but he's you know, in a sense built like a running back and being able to be able to you know, be contacted and fight through contact and break tackles. He's really just a three level receiver.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: You have some guys who can't catch lens and go everywhere and go all the way, right, you have some guys that can only do so many different levels. He can impact the game as a threat from every single level, which makes it almost impossible for a defense to have to prepare and guard that when you can you can throw a guy at pass, you know, two yards behind the line of sperimen, so you can throw a guy ten yard route where you can throw them a deep ball and it can all result in six at any point in time. So you know, to me, he's definitely the best. I think he went out there and improved that this season, you know, posting the triple ground and you know that was really cool just being able to know, you playing with someone on that level and you know, people forget he missed all the training gap yah, going out there doing that at the same time. So you know, once you know contract is all situated, and you know, you get into training camp and he gets really really into shape and things of that nature. Man, I think if you haven't really seen all you can do, which is crazy to think because he's only I think one of four one or five players and so has to do a triple ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's wild and so fun to watch.
Speaker 1: I got to ask one of your former one of your former teams, looks like they've got a shot to win this thing. And obviously you spend the first part of your career with the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 2: As a results of the time you spent there.
Speaker 1: Is it more like you want to see them win it or is it more like, man, that would be tough because that's my former team.
Speaker 7: I think you definitely want to see him win it. I think, you know, that's a really good team. We have really good teams when we were there. We just fell short with suffs, but you know, over time, you know they've gotten better and things of that nature, and you know, definitely would love to see those guys win because you know, obviously I played with a lot of those guys that's still on that team and have good relationship with those guys, and you know, they work really hard to be in this position, so it's gonna be nice to see them win. I think I probably know a guy on each team that's in the playoffs certainly right now. So you know, like I said, really just looking forward to really good ball. You know, those game winning field goals and game winning drives and kind of keeps feeling the edge or your seats. Allows me to be a fan and some guys always happened to be in those moments when you go through a eighteen week season.
Speaker 1: Now for sure, all right, let's do a little utes, Zach before I say you lose today, And let me start with your reaction to coach hit coming back. You're twenty one, nobody really knew what exactly was going to happen. And then after a really rough year, one of the worst years we've had here in a long time, as you know, Kyle took some time and decided that he's back on the sideline. What's what's your reaction to your former head coach is going to give it another go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that was the you know, the really really good smart move. Really honestly feel like that was the only move that made sense with him to come back. Couldn't see him leaving out right on a year like that, being in the first year in the new division, a new conference, and things like that. So I think the best thing was for him to come back and you know, put this team in a situation where they can win. You know, one, let's you know, stay healthy. That's the biggest thing. A lot of injuries really derailed this team from being able to be competitive like many people thought they would. So just the fact that guys can stay healthy and now they kind of know the layout and what they're going up against all the way the way, they can't go out now and recruit and things of that nature to build this up. And I think mainly he really wants to leave this thing, you know, well oiled up for coach Galley when it's his turn too, you know, take over range. So looking forward to that, looking forward to the season. You know, those guys are really good and the coaches are great. They've been for years, as long as guys can stay healthy. Man, you really can't move about.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to get your take.
Speaker 1: And you know, we've got a lot of former college athletes on the show. We have a lot of former college football players, a lot of college basketball players. And always kind of feel bad asking this question because if I was you, Zach, and you know, knowing that you were a charismatic personality, you were really good with the media, and the public really loved you, and you were an awesome player, I would look at the fact that college running backs who are getting five hundred, six hundred thousand dollars a year as something that kind of stings a little bit. Now, I know that you can't live in that space because obviously you move on. You're one of the guys that was good enough to cut a paycheck and several paychecks.
Speaker 2: Playing for pro football.
Speaker 1: But now that you've been away from the college game and you've been more an observer of players being able to transfer all the time and actually get a little cash for their skill set, how do you how would you articulate your opinion on where we're at with the current state of college football?
Speaker 2: Are you concerned about its future?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 7: To some degree, I think you have to be concerned with, you know, the future of you know, how competitive this thing can be. And obviously, you know college football being what it is and what has always been, you know, the money that pours into the universities all across. I think it's going to be very challenging and it's going to rule a lot a lot of different teams and a lot of different schools on you know, who can compete and you know, who has the biggest pay you know, highest payrolls and things of that nature. And that's what guys are really kind of going to go to.
Speaker 11: And a lot of these blue blue college schools, you know, schools that you know, honestly probably put out better you know, talent in the NFL that kind of lasts longer than some of these you know, bigger name schools that kind of was going to wash them out a little bit to some degree in what they're able to and how they're able to compete.
Speaker 7: And I think that's that's that part of it. From the competitive standpoint, it's going to suck. I wish, you know, uh, that they would have had it some type of understanding of what they wanted to do in the sense of NT double and how these payrolls are going to go out and how these things are going to look. And you know, right now it's sounded like just the wild wild West. Things are just happening, and things are just doing and guys just you know, jumping from school to school left and right. And obviously as an ex college player, you know you want to see guys, you know, get what they deserve from, you know, reaping the benefits of their name and the work they do on the field weekend and week out. But then also you want to see some type of loyalty from the standpoint of you know, it being just a more so of a level play in field when you go into financials. So I think, you know, if they would have had a better understanding what they want to do with how they were going to do it, versus just kind of opening up the floodgate. We kind of wouldn't be in this realm of man. We just things just kind of happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, unfortunately, what you see more often than not, Zach, as you know is the NCAA reacting instead of getting in front of it. And now we're in the scenario where as you referenced, there's so much chaos. Now they're going to try to put some guardrails in coming up this summer is one of the twenty million.
Speaker 2: I'll just call it a salary cap.
Speaker 1: I've just Zach, I've started talking college football with the same terminology as the pros because that's kind of where we're headed. So the school's going to have a salary cap. You know, you'll be able to pay players like their employees. At some point, You'll still be able to have the name, image and likeness benefits outside of the paycheck that you actually get. But I wonder from your vantage point, how you feel like our market is set up to support the University of Utah football program. Because the fact of the matter is every college coach, when given the opportunity to address the public, there are. They are planing for donations, they're pleaning for businesses to step up and help.
Speaker 2: And you played here, you lived here.
Speaker 1: How do you feel like we're equipped here in saul A to keep up with the new normal of college football.
Speaker 7: I mean it's gonna be challenging obviously. Like I said, you know, one has to be a place where guys really want to come and they can see themselves right from any from just delving standpoint. And I think, you know, to some degree, BYU has done a really good job on how they are kind of doing it to some degree, and I think that's something that we can take a look at and you know, pull from what we like out of what they're doing and what they're not doing, and kind of go from there. And you know, you have a lot of these coaches that just aren't used to having to deal with, you know, eighteen ninety old kids making all the type of money, because that's the impact, you know, what practices look like, what you know, film study looks like, and just the amount of time and you know, trying to keep these kids out of palm's way at all times as well, you know, all that stuff that people don't really think about does impact it. And a lot of these coaches are old school and these are new times and it's gonna take a few years, right, it doesn't matter if you have a ton of be backing and all that type of stuff. It's gonna all be in home and how they are able to you know, handle that, and what type of players they recruit, because now, more so than anything, maybe you have to think about the the character of the guys you're bringing into your locker room and the people you're bringing into the community and things of that nature. And it's kind of hard to really grasp that. And you're bringing talking about eighteen ninety year old kids coming in and things of that nature. So I think it's gonna be challenging. Again, That's why I said, I think coach Wab definitely, you know, wanted to make sure he leaves this thing on a really good note for coach Scalley to where the transition right isn't super hard and they can compete for years to come. It's not like you have to start from you know, from scratch, and which really just pushed you behind eight ball. And you're talking about being in a new conference with a lot of different schools that guys do really want to go to and they have a lot of funding and things of that nature.
Speaker 1: Do you do NFL players and coaches and people on your level do they does does it feel like college football Zach is moving towards the way of pro football? Is that kind of the redeeming thought among NFL players and coaches?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean you're talking about guys in college. A lot of these guys made more than uh some some pro athletes, man, And you know that's something that also seeks into locker rooms right now. We're talking about Japanese guys, and you know how long they stay in school, and it can hurt the NFL game to some degree, just because the hunger is in there to you know, most guys when they get drafted, if you're not in the first round. Technically even if you're in the first round, but usually if you're not the first round, you have a different type of hunger to get to a second contract right to Now, that's where you're talking about, you know, the financial freedom to some degree that you're setting up for years to come. But you know, like I said, you got guys that maybe would be fifth or sixth round draft picks. That would want a chance in the NFL, would want that dream to play out. They're making five six million dollars in college football, so it's almost no point right to even go and you know, waste your time to some degree in the sport that's super super physical when you already kind of have you know what you made, you already kind of live in that dream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, well said all right, Zach.
Speaker 1: Last thing, then I'll set you loose, and I just want to continue to apologize to you because I'm also going to ask you another question about what could have been if timing was different. Because I have said before and i'll say it again, the twenty nineteen Utah you roster could potentially be the best roster pure talent wise, we've ever seen here, and I still believe that to be true. I've got the roster in front of me. I could go down, but you know the deal, you were on that team if you were able to stay healthy and the CFP was expanded to twelve in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, I don't know that I really have a question.
Speaker 1: All I'm saying is I would have liked to see you guys have that shot if that makes sense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I think, you know, out of all the things we were able to accomplish and you know, push the team for you know, that twenty sixteen class, that's pretty much the twenty nineteen team talking about the way we were able to come in and push the team for if you know, I think the biggest thing now al is suck is you know, losing that game to Orgon and then you know, thinking about maybe if we get in and you know, being in the four team race there, it would have been nice if we had a twelve team system and you kind of just see what the chief tis me falls were talking about team I think we had one maybe eight or nine games in a row at that time, and you're talking about a lot of scheme and a lot of confidence and things of that nature. But like it sucks, you know when you kind of think about it, but you know, it is what it is, and hopefully we can get one of these these newer teams now that the use are going to have and these guys can you know, go out there and you know, put their name into that into that hat and have a chance to go out there and play for a national championship.
Speaker 1: Well said man, hey, I appreciate the time. Okay, keep up that rehab, get healthy. We want to see you back on the field next year. Okay, thanks Zach, Yeah, sir, I appreciate it all right. One of the best to ever do it at the University of Utah, Zach Moss now with the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 3: Porter.
Speaker 1: We've talked about that twenty nineteen team before, like and every time, you know, we have Zach on or brit Or who whoever. I pull up that roster and it's like, stupid, how much talent was on that team, and unfortunately there were some injuries. I'll never forget that game at SC they lost, you know, twenty three thirty and then stumbled down the stretch. They played Texas in the Alamo Alamo Dome. Of course, they had the opportunity in the Packtweld Championship against Oregon. Some health issues, but simply from a talent standpoint, you can make the argument it's the best roster that Utah has ever had.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding, well, I do make that argument now.
Speaker 4: Obviously, other teams finished stronger, they had better finished this to the year. Obviously, Stevenson's twenty eighteen will have an argument as slide joins us next. But when it just comes to sheer talent number one, the game has changed, right. The pool of players is better in twenty twenty, twenty twenty nineteen, as you're talking about, than it was in two thousand and one than it was in nineteen ninety. That's just the reality of the sport. But you look at that team and yes, Tyler Huntley, Zack Moss, Jackson Barton, all these offensive players that are still playing in the NFL. But then you go to the defensive side of the football. How many of those players made it to the league at least for a cup of coffee. I'll if you guessed all of them eleven players from the two twenty nineteen Utah defense, not all of them starters, not all of them upperclassmen that year, but every single one of them at some point had a cup of coffee in the NFL a practice squad. They got paid an NFL paycheck. That's something that I don't know has really ever happened anywhere else. I can guarantee you it's never happened at a Utah or another local school. And yeah, they didn't finish the way that folks would have liked them to. But you've got a glimpse I think in October November of how good that team could have been. I think they won like five or six straight. All of them were forty plus points and holding their team to minimal Sometimes you don't, you don't fulfill exactly your entire potential.
Speaker 1: They won eight straight games and the only team to throw more than thirteen was Washington up at Husky Stadium. That was a great game. Utah won that game thirty three to twenty eight. But yeah, to Porter's point one, eight games in a row. They started eleven and one and then a couple of losses down the stretch, But that was a talented, talented group.
Speaker 2: Appreciate Zach time.
Speaker 1: That's brought to you today by Advanced Window Products New Year New Windows Special which is now twenty five hundred dollars off when you purchase ten windows or more. It's a local Utah company talking Nate Orchard, Jake Weber to really good dudes, great families, local families that are here to support you. They specialize in custom vinyl replacement windows and doors, So check them out sales and installation or all in house. There's no middleman mark up. They build it, they install it, and they guarantee it for life. The lifetime warranty is serviced by a local team transferable warranties to the next home owner. You're selling your home from the factor to your front door in eight weeks or less. You can save on your energy bill with rebates available through in Bridge. Energy financing is available so you can save now and pay later. Payments is low as one hundred and fifty dollars per month, So give them a call at eight oh one eighty five zero ninety one hundred or visit them online at Advanced Windows dot com. All right, at three o'clock hour of the program gets rolling right now, can bring in Bobby Marks in a bit to do some NBA.
Speaker 2: Little Little RSL later on with Brian Dunseeth.
Speaker 1: Special thank you to Zach Moss who rolled through to start the program today. But let's continue the football conversation with one of our favorite Stevenson Sylvester back on the driving a Monday sly, Happy money man, how are we doing?
Speaker 2: Hello Sli Oops, sorry I was a mute there.
Speaker 3: Happy Monday brother, how you doing?
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us?
Speaker 1: You know I've done that so many times, are you on zoom or Google Li?
Speaker 2: Like, how are you joining it us today?
Speaker 3: Google meet man Meat?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 10: Porter got me introduced to that man. And I much preferred doing my interviews that way. I have zero connection and issues and it just feels better.
Speaker 1: Love it and you sound great, and I've done the mute things several times, and sly, I've got to. I'm gonna apologize right out of the gates before I ask a question, because I don't mean disrespect. Porter and I were debating this last segment as our guy Zach Moss hopped on the team or e cheeuse me hopped on the show and for the team. He's part of our team, so are you. And here's what I'll say, slide. I just want your reaction. You guys will always go down the twenty eight team, the one that Sugar Bowl. I believe the Sugar Bowl win over Alabama is the best win in the history of Utah football, all due respect.
Speaker 2: To conference championships and such.
Speaker 1: And you guys will go down as one of, if not the greatest Utah football team of all time. If I said to you that twenty nineteen is the most talented team on paper that Utah football potentially has ever had.
Speaker 2: What would you say to me.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't.
Speaker 10: I mean, I can't argue that that's all subjective, right, And honestly I'm good with that. Right on paper is is not as good as results. And so we've seen that, right, Like we came into last season like this is the best.
Speaker 3: Team Utah has ever had on paper, Look what happened.
Speaker 10: Right, So, as far as a comparative, like I don't mind that, you know, twenty eighteen, you know, doing my research with you know, my Utah man brand and talking to all the old players from the past, it's about a whole bunch of undervalued guys overperforming right guys, proving people wrong, you know, day in and day out from training camp throughout the season, and even when everything is pointed to you supposed to be winning, everybody would still denounce you or or think of less of you, and you still prove them wrong. And that was the mentality of those guys. So honestly, I'm more excited and privileged and honor to be a part of that style of team because that's what sports is all about.
Speaker 3: Then somebody who's better on paper.
Speaker 1: For sure, well, said, no argument here, but I will. I'm going to follow up with a question and if you can solve it, you might get a phone call to go coach the Cowboys, because it's what everybody wants to know. Slid, because what are the elements like twenty nineteen. I'm not trying to pick on them, but any team that's great on paper and then there's a team like you, guys who want every game in front of you, which is all that matters. What are the most important dynamics to make sure that a team that on paper has every single thing that you could want. Talent, experience, offense, defense, special teams, and the road between day one of springball and the final day of the season that for you culminated in a Sugar Bowl went over Alabama.
Speaker 2: How do you turn talent into results? What are some of the key dynamics?
Speaker 3: It's leaders, end of the day. It's the type of leaders that you have.
Speaker 10: And I can humbly say that from from the different teams and the things that I've seen, it's it's the leaders on the team and how they lead.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: People can consider themselves a leader, but like, are you willing to do what you're asking somebody to do right. Like a lot of people hate their bosses, right because like they're asking me something so simple, like why don't they just do it right?
Speaker 3: And so it's it's more of like can you lead by example?
Speaker 10: Can you are would your teammate or the person next to you believe that what you're asking them, what you're asking of them, that you're willing to do right? And and it's so for me, it's the leaders on the team. When I got on the Pittsburgh my first year, we went to the Super Bowl, right, and the leaders on that.
Speaker 3: Team was just second to none.
Speaker 10: Right, Pittsburgh started going downhill when those guys left Pittsburgh, right like the hines Wards, the Ben Roethlisberger's, the Willie Colowns, the Max Starks, the Troy Polamalo's, Ryan Clark's, and I take to Brett keesl to Casey Hampton and James Fair, James Harrison, like those leaders right there.
Speaker 3: They set the stage for out everything is supposed to go.
Speaker 10: Those leaders, the coaches didn't need to talk to They knew what to get done. Whether you had the tellent or not, you still have to go out there and earn it and execute it. And there's no prime example today more than the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 3: The Detroit Lions.
Speaker 10: Looked great on paper, and they're going out there and executing every single week and earning their recognition.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 10: So I just think that it's all about the leaders on the team. It was for us in eight of going out there and putting in the work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know that's probably a tried and true principal, you know, both in sports and in life, right, great leaders who understand what to do, and then it probably takes a lot of humble followers, correct. I mean, it doesn't matter what your talent level is, like if you've never done something before, it's probably an important element of it of a team to have people that are willing to listen to the older classmen and understand what it is to be part of Utah football culture. Is that kind of in line with what you're thinking.
Speaker 10: That's one hundred percent, And that's kind of where I want to get back to. Like I always look at like what happened this past year because I'm like, we had the talent we talked about, or I came into the season talking about the depth it would benefit us for when we do have injuries, people can step in and we shouldn't miss a beat.
Speaker 3: And as soon as cam Risen got hurt, we went to straight crap. So at that.
Speaker 10: Point, what where were our leaders and what were our leaders doing, you know, to inevitably make the whole team step up and make things happen right, And so.
Speaker 3: It's leaders for me.
Speaker 10: I looked at it, you know, over and over again, and just like and how they do it right? You know, you got leaders of all kinds of different stuff. People consider themselves leaders, but I think there's a certain type of leader that it is. You know, Coach Whittingham says it all time, He's an alpha dog, alpha of alpha, right, But like, what type of leader are you? And can you do the be the right leader that will bring a locker room together? And I just don't feel like we had that last year.
Speaker 2: So this is interesting.
Speaker 1: I didn't plan on doing this today, but it's one of the things I liked about interviewing you. You know, we can go in a bunch of different directions. And now I'm thinking about what the BYU players said after the Alamo Bowl postgame press conference. Connor pay a lot of the seniors and upper classmen over there, and every single one of them talked about the leadership in the locker room from the players, and they weren't diminishing the leadership of the coaches. But what is the difference, slide, what's the difference between having great leadership and your coaching staff and then having great leadership on the team with players, Because I do think it does hit different a little bit when you hear it from your peer.
Speaker 3: It's uh for me.
Speaker 10: I interviewed Connor after the Alamo Bowl too, and these are a lot of questions that you know, I ask him because you know, I have my own opinion, but I want to see the validity of it, right. I want to make sure that my theory or whatever I thought when I was a player, or whatever I think today, you know, holds true and it's same.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but for me, with all of that, it's ownership, right.
Speaker 10: You got to you gotta be willing to own what you're a part of. So it doesn't matter how much money you make, how long you've been there, what type of ownership do you have on the product that you're a part of, Right, And so the coaches can't make you understand ownership.
Speaker 3: You have to understand it.
Speaker 10: It has to go to people that are on your level, that are putting in the work that you're into. And it's it's ownership, right, And then like do you feel uh? And if you have ownership of your product, you want the best out of your product, right. And and so for me, if I put anything out there, anything that has my name attached to it, right, everybody wants to talk about nil, right, anything that has my name attached to it, I want to make sure it represents me in the best life.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: If my name is attached to the University of Utah, that's why I'm so prideful it and why I love the university so much. If my name is attached to that, I wanted to be held in the highest standard.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: And that's what we had in two thousand and eight. That's what I had on my team in Pittsburgh. And that's what I think a lot of championship teams have, is they have ownership between each and every player, right, everybody players like talk about I have to own my twelve square feet right, the square feet around me, I have to own that, and I have to know that the person next to me believes that I'm going to do that to the best of my abilities, and not only to the best of my abilities that I can do it.
Speaker 3: He believes that I can do it.
Speaker 10: So for me and the leaders, and what I took from Connor pay was ownership, ownership of this team, ownership of the product that we're putting out there each and every week, and that people are watching and and and just loving what you do.
Speaker 2: Follow up, does a quarterback have to be a leader?
Speaker 1: I mean, you obviously play with Brian who, like you know, you had a quarterback who was a leader. And Coach Wit talked a lot about Cameron Kevin Rising how he was and I hate to say was it just doesn't sound like he's coming back. And I could keep going down the list. But you reference the Lions and look, Jared Goss a really good player. We saw him, you know, we were in the Pac twelve foot print. We saw him play Utah. I don't know if he strikes me as like one of their main leaders.
Speaker 2: Maybe he is. I'm not in the locker room.
Speaker 1: But do you have to have a quarterback who's also one of your preeminent leaders?
Speaker 3: Well, I think.
Speaker 10: It makes the most sense, but I don't think that at the end of the day that makes the team. I think it's the easier way when you have that guy who has the ball in his head. It's like the point guard, right, You want your point guard to be your leader, right, Like what were the teams of the Michael Jordan's team without like a Ron Harper or Steve Price or Steve Kerr, right, or you know Gary Payton, he was the leader of his team, right, the Chauncey Billups, right, Like they were the leaders of the team that you look up to. So you want to have that person because they have the ball in their hands most often, to be the leader that just makes everything and everybody because they want the ball, they want to be effective. They'll look at that person more often because that person's name will more often be said. Like if you listen to a play by play, guy, they're gonna say a person's name more often, right, Like if you're just listening on the radio and somebody says, Chauncey Billups has the ball, passes it to Riy Hamilton, pass it back to Chauncey Billups, passes it to Rashid Wallace, hits the couldn't Tayshawn Prince Oh, that's a goal who's name that they say more often in that than anything. It's the point guard. Same thing with the quarterback. Quarterback takes the snap from center, they're gonna see the name of this guy who's delivering the ball to handing the ball off and orchestrating the play more often than so. I think it's easier when it's the quarterback for it to be your team to like, you can't have a team without your quarterback being the leader. I don't agree with that because I've been a part of teams where quarterbacks are not the vocal leader, but you know, they go out there and execute.
Speaker 3: They lead by example, so they're a type of leader. To be the head honcho leader, that's the raw raw guy.
Speaker 10: I don't think it's completely necessary, but again, you just got to have make sure that that person is bought in and has ownership of his.
Speaker 3: Twelve square space and it makes it happen.
Speaker 10: But at the end of the day, the quarterback being the leader doesn't have to be it for you to have a team. But I do think it's the easiest to get your entire team to buy in because everybody knows football is the most people right you have to have the most people on the same page than any other sport that's out there, and if your quarterback is at the helm of it, it just makes it easier to do that.
Speaker 1: One more question about this before we get accused of ted talk.
Speaker 2: Instead of talking football.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious, because you know, college or pro, who's the who's the best leader you ever played with in your career?
Speaker 10: Oh, my gosh, the best leader as a player. There's been a few, right like, Uh, for me, I love James Ferrier. James Ferrier when I got to the NFL, he was just a guy that everybody looked up to. And as far as if we go, we go the way James Ferry goes, that's Troy Polamalud, that's Ryan Clark, that's Ike Taylor, that's Brett Keisol. They looked at James Ferry even offensively. You know, Willie Cologne, you know uh, Marquise Pouncy mind in Hall, even Roethlisberger.
Speaker 3: They looked at James Ferry.
Speaker 10: He was one of the best, uh examples of the head haunchho and it became.
Speaker 12: So natural to him because he was so cool, like you wouldn't even I don't know you know, just as a guy that you looked up to, respected, know's going to put in the work and everybody believed in.
Speaker 3: I thought James Ferrier was one of the best leaders I was ever around.
Speaker 2: Interesting stuff. Interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move off of it and actually talk some football now, and let's do a little college. We'll end with pro and I'll set you loose on a Monday. Do you like this new format now that we've seen it unfold? Because it's one thing to say, Hey, I like the idea of twelve teams or the premise is sound, but you have to see what it's like. You have to witness how it unfolds before you can actually have a fully baked opinion. So, now that we have a final, Ohio State Notre Dame, what do you make of our first experience as college football fans witnessing this twelve team c CFP man.
Speaker 10: I loved it one. It automatically got me thinking of the future. What are the next few years going to be like? Now that the players know what.
Speaker 3: It's going to be like and the possibilities of it.
Speaker 10: Right now that each team understands like, Okay, Boise State got in it and s and U got in it.
Speaker 3: We could be one of the Indiana got it.
Speaker 10: We could be one of those teams, and we have a possibility.
Speaker 3: I'm Indiana.
Speaker 10: If I beat Notre Dame, I can go play Georgia and I could beat Georgia.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: I scored more points on Notre Dame than Georgia scored on Notre Dame. Right, I can do that, and then I can beat the next team, and I like it. It's just more possible when you've seen it done and the possibilities of you making it happen. Right, Like even our twenty eighteen about us breaking into the BCS and beating teams like that, we've seen it done, right.
Speaker 3: We've seen the O four.
Speaker 10: Team, you know, break the BCS, or even before that in two thousand and three when they were just beating teams like Texas A and M in North Carolina and then then just everybody they lined up against, they just they they demolished them, right, And even the year before seven when UCLA was ranked number eleven in the country and they came in the right Eycle Stadium and we just beat the brakes off of them.
Speaker 3: So we knew it was possible. By the examples of.
Speaker 10: The years before us, right, And now that this has been done, I just think that other schools are looking at that like like we always had an epifty, Like, oh, maybe we could do it. But you see in Arizona State take Texas to the brink. Arizona State possibly should have won in many examples, right, take that field goal that bounced on the ground but bounced through the uprights technically they want, right, Imagine them playing against Ohio State, right and not losing it in the last two minutes of the game, right, and not throwing a freaking pitch on goal to go situations Oh so stupid. But I think the possibility that other schools are now looking at in this twelveteen format is just great. And I just think that the years to come are just going to be that much more interesting, that much more intriguing. I think it brings that much more fire to regular season games to get to the opportunity to be a part of the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So I asked you prior to the semi final kind of what your got told you about these games? And I remember, I know you did a good job of breaking down why ultimately every game is kind of its own thing, and it's all about matchups. And as a guy that played for Utah to beat Alabama and the Sugar Bowl in two thousand and eight when not a lot of people thought you would, you're well equipped to talk about how any team can beat any other team on any given day. But it feels like nobody believes that. Marcus Freeman, by the way, what an impressive dude, age. How about your first coaching job in life is just Notre Dame. You know, at the age of thirty five and now at the age of thirty ninety, has a chance to win a national championship.
Speaker 3: Against his team that his alma mater.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's his alma mater.
Speaker 3: That's even more.
Speaker 1: Insane awesome storylines. But Vegas isn't giving Notre Dame much of a chance. The general public, according to the money, giving them almost zero chance at all. Ohio State's an eight point favor. Do you think the Irish have a fighting chance? No pun intended.
Speaker 3: Hey, anytime you lace them up, you have a fighting chance. And so.
Speaker 10: I'm always for a game not being one before it's played right, And I think that these odds and lines from Vegas, they're just more motivation and bullet to board material than anything, and so it's all about how you line up, right. I didn't think Notre Dame would do what they did against Georgia, but let alone Georgia have as bad a receivers as they did. Like, I didn't think they could drop the ball that many times. I thought, you know, the matchup against Penn State was very equal, and as it was, it was twenty four to twenty four to the last second, right, And so you know, I think this matchup going into Ohio State, I do think Ohio State has the has the edge.
Speaker 3: But you've seen in this Texas game, it's never over.
Speaker 10: Like Ohio State started on fire and then they got one penalty and they went right back in the tank and Texas kind of came back in the game. But it was fourteen twenty one and Texas has one yard to game to make it twenty one twenty one, and they don't make it happen.
Speaker 3: Like that game was.
Speaker 10: Close until the end. You know, you can look at twenty eight to fourteen and like, oh they had it handily. No, Ohio State did not have that handily. And that's what I was talking about.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: The other week is that like Texas can make it happen, right, and so I think that's gonna be the same situation in this National Championship game.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be exciting. I think it's gonna be a great matchup.
Speaker 10: And if you can put a game plan together, anything is possible.
Speaker 3: Rights. It's not like the NBA Finals where you have to score four games. You have to win four games against a single opponent to actually win it. This is sudden death.
Speaker 10: Man, you got one opportunity to make this happen. I love this and I think it's gonna be a great matchup. I do give the edge to Ohio State when you look at the offense, the defense, I give it to them. I don't think it's gonna be an eight point game. I think it'll be a little closer. But these National Championship games are are are always interesting. And here's one thing that if if Notre Dame pulls this out is because I believe they have more heart than anybody in this bracket. The way that they play, they want it more and I and that's all about the leader, uh and Marcus Freeman to instill that in him, right, like the coach for the Lions Uh, he's he's instilling the ability to want it more in his players than the opponent. That that Vikings game at the end of the season was awesome, and I think that's exactly what Marcus Freeman is doing in his Notre Dame Fightrish Fighting Irish, and so I just think it's gonna be a great game because of that.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll do a little NFL slide on set you loose.
Speaker 1: And one of the coolest things, in my opinion about your football career is you played college football for Kyle Winningham and pro football for Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 2: Like that's a.
Speaker 1: Really really cool thing, man. That makes you That put you in a very small group. You know the deal though, I mean, it's been eight years since the Steelers playoff wins, the longest playoff droughts in seventy two. Mike's streak of eighteen consecutive non losing seasons is insane. But you know the standard in Pittsburgh, and look, I'm a fan. I don't think they should do anything. I don't think they will, but there's a lot of noise around your former head coach. I just want to get your thoughts on it.
Speaker 10: I'm just I just I don't think it's coming from Steeler fans. I think it's coming more from just you know, outside opinion is. But like, who else are you gonna get? Right, Who's gonna replace Mike Tomlin?
Speaker 3: Steelers have had three coaches in the last forty five years.
Speaker 10: Here's my thing, everybody who always has an opinion of something, is there someone else you have in mind that would do a better job, because it's not right the Steeler mentality and how they do it, from the roster that they assemble, from the ownership that they have. You have to have a certain per personality fit that and do that right. And I do think I think the Steelers have slipped up and just been able. But this is football, man, and that's why I'm saying, like, it's not like the NBA playoffs where you get four opportunities against a single opponent. It's sudden death and if you don't make it happen, it's good. But you look at the talent in the West the last fifteen twenty years. Look at the last twenty five years, right, it was the Patriots, Tom Brady, right, you got the all kinds of teams in the AFC have been making noise from Carson Palmer and in the same division we've been Ray Lewis and the Baltimore Raates have been in the same division for the last twenty five years.
Speaker 3: Like, it is not easy to win.
Speaker 10: In the AFC, right, And I want to do more research to see how many Super Bowls the AFC in the last twenty five years have won over the NFC.
Speaker 3: But like, it's not easy to win in the AFC. It's a sudden depth deal. I'm telling you, you'd be a lot more hurt if.
Speaker 10: You were a Steelers fan and having a losing record every year, then going to the playoffs and losing, Right, Like, what if you were the Browns, What if you were the Jets, what if you were you know, some of these other lowly teams that may have one good year in the last.
Speaker 3: Ten to fifteen years.
Speaker 10: There's literally a possibility every single year with the Steelers, And so you got to keep that. I think, you know, Mike Tomlin is trying to figure it out and navigate this new day and age with what type of personnel that we need to have, right, Like, you look at that game against Baltimore and you've just seen a lot of lackluster effort. How do you motivate guys that you're paying so all this money, right, like, you got to do that and out how do you motivate guys you know that they got to want it themselves, right. And then for me, I'm watching that game and I'm just like, how the hell do the Pittsburgh Steelers defense look like they've never seen or heard or played against Lamar Jackson before?
Speaker 3: That first drive was abysmal And I'm just like, where's your technique? What were you practicing all week?
Speaker 10: It was just it was terrible, And I'm just like, you know it was going to be an uphill battle because one, Baltimore's surging at the end of the season, which is what you want to do. They got a talented roster, but you know that going in, you know that you know they're beatable, that's for sure, But you.
Speaker 3: Know it's it's just I don't know. I just felt like, you know, there.
Speaker 10: Was a certain point of the game where the players felt like, oh man, we can't win this, and they just stopped fighting and so it just sucked. But I've been down twenty one points to an opponent and we've came back and won, and that's what the Steelers were, and they just they just didn't have that mentality of that we could overcome and that was just unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Well, and we could reduce it pretty simply.
Speaker 1: Where you know, Mike and the Steelers had such a great run when they had a much better option on a quarterback. And I think Russ did a pretty admirable job after he was left for dead in Denver.
Speaker 2: But did they run it back with Russell Wilson next year? What do you think?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 10: No, no, I don't think so. I think you know you you played great with Russell Wilson. Hopefully that Justin Fields was able to learn a lot of things with Russell and and then he can attack this offseason.
Speaker 3: Like that. But I was thinking about it too right after the meeting.
Speaker 10: I would have Russell Wilson and and Justin Fields sit down.
Speaker 3: If I'm Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 10: I know this office too because I've said in them multiple times, but like I sit them both in my office and being like, yo, Russ, you know, we did sign to a one year deal, but we're gonna work. But Justin is our starter. If you want to go test the market, that's great. If you don't find anything that you like because you're getting paid thirty forty million dollars a year from from Denver not to play for them. Anyway, if you want to come back, we would love to have you as a backup.
Speaker 3: But this will be Justin Field's offense going forward.
Speaker 10: And that's exactly how I would tell him. I think Russell Wilson would be professional and understand that. I think he probably understands that already, and and and that's how I would go about it. But you give the keys to Justin Fields. He's the younger guy. He's got a lot of potential. He led this team great. There were things that he can learn. He's been able to sit. And this is what a lot of these college kids don't freaking understand, is like.
Speaker 3: It's okay to sit a here. It's okay to sit down and learn. Everybody's like, oh I can play faster here. That doesn't mean.
Speaker 10: Good things for your future, right You're wasting years potential opportunity there.
Speaker 3: And so like, I think Justin Fields was able to sit.
Speaker 10: And be humble, But I think that Pittsburgh needs to vocalize that this is Justin Field's team and instill all the confidence that you can in him.
Speaker 1: All right, slide before I set you loose my two parter and it could be the same. They're not mutually exclusive. But who do you think will win the super Bowl? And who do you want to win the Super Bowl?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, it's it's gonna be crazy.
Speaker 10: You know, we haven't seen the guys that had the first round by in the playoffs yet. Houston looked absolutely amazing. So I can't wait to see that Kansas City Houston matchup.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 10: Uh, the Baltimore Buffalo matchup is gonna be an instant classic. My team's been the Commanders all year because my boy BJ's over there killing it and and watching Jayden Daniels just overcome so much. I just can't wait to see what he does against Detroit. Detroit has so many injuries on defense that they may be susceptible to getting beat by by the Commanders. You have no idea, but I just think that one. There's there's just so many teams, uh that have the opportunity to make this happen.
Speaker 3: You'd want to get.
Speaker 10: Josh Allen to to finally overcome the hump, right, Get over Baltimore, get over Kansas city, get.
Speaker 3: To that Super Bowl and show your stuff.
Speaker 10: I'm hoping I can see a Buffalo Philadelphia super Bowl.
Speaker 3: It's kind of what I think.
Speaker 10: And then I I just I think Philadelphia is too deep, and so the Eagles might win the Super Bowl this year.
Speaker 1: All right, Sly, I appreciate the time. Man, always good stuff. Happy Monday, have a great week.
Speaker 2: And we'll chat soon.
Speaker 1: All right, brother, talk to so Stevens and Sylvester one of the best to ever do it at the University of Utah with some fiery takes today twenty nineteen Utah roster Man. I think it's the most talented team the coach what's ever had solve played in two thousand and eight. They beat Bam and the Sugar Bowl. They won all of their games, So there's a bit of a mic drop there. Yeah, the Tomlin thing is interesting. I mean, you're not gonna talk to anybody that covers football that doesn't think he's a great coach.
Speaker 2: It was Alex Smith himself.
Speaker 1: I was listening to Alex talk about how archaic the offense is and it might be time to upgrade. I don't know, man, but the results just haven't been there in the playoffs. It has been eight years since the Steelers won a playoff game. It's the longest playoff drought since nineteen seventy two. They have the same amount of playoff victories as the Jets over the past eight years, which is zero. But Tomlin has eighteenth straight non losing seasons, which is wild.
Speaker 2: So we'll see. I don't think they're gonna move on from him.
Speaker 1: During their first ten seasons, the Steelers ranked tied for fifth with eight postseason victories, and they won Super Bowls under Mike and you know, his results are what they are, So we'll see if they decide to make a little bit of a change. But appreciate slaves time. We'll do a little more football later on. Don't forget you can hear Monday Night Football on our station tonight after we say go tonight, we're gonna do the Craig Smith Coaches Show first and then we'll join the Rams and the Vikings game in progress.
Speaker 2: That game is being played in Glendale.
Speaker 1: It was moved from Los Angeles as a result of the horrible fires. So appreciate slave time. We're gonna do a little basketball coming up with Bobby Marks, the ESPN front Office, NBA Insider, the latest on a bizarre kind of under the radar. We're pretty football centric right now, and obviously we'd be more basketball centric if the Jazz we're more interesting. But it's football basketball for the most part. But the last few weeks, if you have not been paying attention, and I don't blame you, but our local soccer club finds itself in a precarious spot, a lot of head scratching move without a lot of reinforcements on the way for now, and they play a game in uh, I don't know, a few weeks. It's next month, the Conky Calf Tournament. I know you guys are dialed into that. So we'll bring in Brian Dunseth coming up for the latest on RSL. Time for a chance to catch some tickets to the red hot Utah Uts men's basketball team. That's right, first, big twelve win Saturday night at Okay State on fire Text ut right now to three, three, nine, eight six to enter for Utah men's basketball tickets. Very very happy for Craig and very happy for that team. There was no way they were going to go through conference play without winning a game. But we talked to Sean Moody about this last week, and we were kind of debating and discussing when that first Big Twelve win would come Utah's way, and it came in dominant fashion, and so Okay State. On Saturday the Huntsman Center and Utah now hits the road to take on TCU, a TCU team that beat bringing me up over the weekend. You know, pretty surprised about the start of the season to BYU. And I've got to say, I know, the Yegor Deming kid is thought to be a top ten lottery prospect and he's only a freshman. I'm not trying to crack on him. But I watched more or less than the entire TCU game. I saw a lot of the Texas Tech game, the Houston game, Look Houston. Whenever I watch Kelvin Sampson's team, I'm like, those are pros. Those are like grown men playing against college kids. And the Texas Tech game for BYU was more about make or miss. But TCU was not thought to be a very good team. Like everyone else in the Big Twelve. They have a lot of talent, but the Demon kid just does not appear to have a great feel for this level of basketball.
Speaker 2: He had four turnovers and a couple of bad.
Speaker 1: Ones down the stretch and BYU was down two and Yegor took like a step back fade away three with plenty of time left and it wasn't close. So I bring it up because he's thought to be like a top ten NBA prospect, I'm just not seeing it as of now. Richie Saunders has played really well for him. Cannon Catching's is the other NBA prospect on that roster. There's some other players like down Hall really should be their primary ball handler in those situations because he has experience there. In my opinion, instead of the Diego demon kid, I think Dallen just has more of a calming presence. But for all of the talent the BYU has, you know, on that roster and Kevin has at his disposal.
Speaker 2: As I've discussed ever.
Speaker 1: Since the announcement came down that aj Debantsos headed a provo to play college basketball for five months, all these things are great, like it's awesome. BYU Athletics has momentum right now, probably in a way that UTA Athletics doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yet.
Speaker 1: These things are sick, We're cool, and they can change or the drop of a hat. But that's kind of where we're at for now. But now Kevin's got a show you can coach, man Like, the pressure really is on the head coach when the talent is clearly on the team, like Kevin's got.
Speaker 2: He's never been a head.
Speaker 1: Coach, and will excuse me, I think he was a G League head coach, but you know, of course he coached in the NBA and all of that is finding good and because of Kevin's NBA ties, he has the ability and we've already seen it to recruit players at a high level by dropping names like Kevin Durant and Devin Booker and Chris Paul. And the BYU coaching staff is littered with NBA experience G League experience, as is the entire quite frankly operation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did coach in the G League.
Speaker 1: He as the head coach Phoenix Sun's assistant, so Kevin's had head coaching experience before. But when the talent is clearly on the roster, the onus is entirely on the coaching staff. And that's just the deal with basketball on any level, Okay, Because I don't think anybody would argue that Utah's talent is superior to that of Brigham Young's and so it's finding good to be able to recruit future future pros. And it's tickets and it provides excitement, but you got to prove you can coach.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Text utes to three three, nine eighty six to enter for Utah men's basketball tickets. So it was really excited and happy for Craig and his roster to get that first Big twelve win because it has just been a bit of a slog and it's been tough, and Craig is trying with different different rotations. I think that was his sixth different starting lineup of the season. They're just trying to figure it out right now, and you know, it ultimately does come down to the conversation is what are these crowds going to look like? So BYU's coming up here in Salt Lake City on January the eighteenth, So right around the corner we're going to see BYU, you tire in Salt Lake. I do wonder what that crowd will look like and see, you know, see over the next couple of games, if the youths can pile up some wins here there, maybe folks will be a little bit more motivated to come see Utah basketball. But text in right now for your chance to win some tickets. Also text assets. We're asking you did a little texting. I would imagine message rate supply, So don't get mad if you get your cell phone bill. But text asset right now to five eight seven seven seven one thousand. That's five oh eight seven seven seven one thousand for a chance to win one thousand dollars cash in this nationwide contest. Good luck from all of us over here at ESPN Porter. I kind of feel bad. I feel like I uh, I pitted Zach Moss and Stevenson Sylvester against each other.
Speaker 2: That was not my intent.
Speaker 1: I thought Slies points were well taken now in the modern day and age of political discourse quite frankly sport discourse, where you're supposed to crack a mic and yell an opinion they don't even believe, just to be salacious and in cindiary. I know it's not popular in this line of work to acknowledge that two things could be true, But could we acknowledge that twenty nineteen had more talent on paper yet two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: That's the team that got it done.
Speaker 4: I think that's exactly where you should land because it's the truth. Yes, that twenty eight team had plenty of NFL talent, and they similarly put a bunch of guys on the defensive side of the football into the NFL. But you just look at around the league right now, Spence around the NFL today, Julian Blackman, Jalen Johnson, Devin Lloyd, Lecky, Fotwo Bradley and I Tyler Huntley, Zach Moss.
Speaker 2: Britton Covey was on that team, Cody Barton, you know else was on the team.
Speaker 4: Bran Keithy, Britton Covey, Brandon Keithy, Mikha Defua. These are all guys that have played in the NFL. So outside of Bran Keathy, so far, that is the most talented team on paper that has ever walked through the University of Utah AM not only and that's not only my take, I am confident saying it. But again, that doesn't tell the whole story because they injuries played a part, yes, but they kind of fell apart at the end. And obviously the PAC twelve championship didn't happen. The playoffs in which the four team playoff. It wasn't a twelve team playoff. The four team playoff spence that they only needed to beat the organ to get into. Let's be clear, everything else fell into place. If Utah would have won the Pac twelve Championship in twenty nineteen, they would have gone in two bowl season the number four team in the country, and they would have had a chance at a college football playoff. So I think it is worth mentioning, and I think you're exactly right. I think that's where we should land because it's just the realistic take.
Speaker 2: I liked slives fire though.
Speaker 1: When I asked him, like, what's your response if I say twenty nineteen is the most talented team we've ever had here?
Speaker 2: He went full slide yeah on that one.
Speaker 1: And if I was on two thousand and eight, I would feel the same way, because honestly speaking, I feel like most people and I'm raising my hand. Okay, ranked two thousand and four over two thousand and eight. Two thousand and four, And we could get into the weeds on this debate as well, because I think twenty nineteen is also more talented on paper than two thousand and four. The Utah Football two thousand and four is the best football team I believe we've ever had in this state with the way they just kind of kind of came together and smoked everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think three things can be true at the same time.
Speaker 2: Hey, you behave yourself. We're going to break people's minds.
Speaker 1: They people these days are not capable of holding three thoughts in their head.
Speaker 4: The two thousand and four youth team is the greatest team to go through this program. The two thousand and eight team is the best football team to go through this program. And the twenty nine team is and should have been the most talented team that has gone through that program. And I think I think we can land the plane somewhere around there.
Speaker 1: Five things can be Wait, wait, let's go. Let's move up to four things can be true? One hundred things. Calmed down, It's Monday. Okay, we've got to pace ourselves. We've got five of these this week. Sorry, what's the most? Could it be possible? The twenty twenty three slash twenty four Utah football is the most disappointing team making four things true on a Monday afternoon. I know we're getting weird. Can we say that four things are not true.
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 4: I think so, And that has more to do with the expectations than the result to me, and the expectations were warranted.
Speaker 5: Let's be clear.
Speaker 4: They should have had very high expectations. And you add in the fact that we're talking about twenty twenty five being the year the twelve team college football Playoff is debuted.
Speaker 5: You add in the fact that.
Speaker 4: They're rejoining BYU in the Big twelve, and all of the collision course that was the Pac twelve Big twelve independent drama kind of colliding in twenty twenty five and the youths laying an egg man. That's more disappointing than any season in program history. And I don't think it's really close.
Speaker 1: Five things can be true twenty twenty one Utah Football Pac twelve champ, the most surprising team, Okay, in U Tough football history.
Speaker 2: So we have the.
Speaker 1: Best, the best season, the best team, the most disappointing. Now five things can be true, the most surprising team in you tough football.
Speaker 4: I disagree, damn it, because I think that was building. I think if you watch this team in twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, you watch Zach and Tyler, that thing was turning, and it was you know, you just needed to get a quarterback. You just needed to replace Tyler Huntley and keep that thing turning. I'm gonna go back to old Scott Mitchell, old you know, middle of the McBride era, where you just start throwing I don't know, seventy passes in a game with the big lefty back there and actually winning a game or two. I'm gonna go with that, just because I actually expected that twenty twenty one team to be really good.
Speaker 1: Well, we got to four things can be true at once, and most media shows of any kind, sports politics cannot get to four things.
Speaker 2: So I feel like we've done a good job.
Speaker 5: I think we've we've accomplished.
Speaker 1: Something started a little physical therapy today once again found myself.
Speaker 5: Back there we go.
Speaker 2: No, it's not she, it's the shoulder. This time. It was the knee last.
Speaker 1: Year, it was the rib of the year before that. And it's just like I walk in now. My physical therapist is one of my best friends.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, it might just be the routine now, like you used to do a radio show and then go home and walk the dog and then work out and then.
Speaker 5: You know, cook dinner. You may just put Pete on the list.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, we're like homies.
Speaker 1: I walk in and in the reception, she's like, Spence, Hey, great to see. I'm like, I don't want to be the guy. Did every one of the physical therapy office knows. I don't want to be that guy, but I've turned into that guy.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Four weeks to get the to get the wing right. Okay, we're doing a little extracide. Was pretty encouraging, but I'm not allowed to swing a golf club and tell him good.
Speaker 5: That's probably good advice.
Speaker 4: As much yoga as you can, and you maybe maybe avoid the PT a little bit more order.
Speaker 2: I can't do yoga becau he has a chataranga. Man, get familiar with poses.
Speaker 5: I'm behind.
Speaker 1: You want me to start doing rapid chotaaranngas and down dogs when my shoulders bad?
Speaker 2: Neo fight a little better knowledge here, please of the practice the art.
Speaker 5: I just want your range of ability to do better so you don't get injured.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm glad you're being part of the solution. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, hang in there, stretch, don't get hurt, and try not dage. I don't know what the secret is, but we're doing the best we can, all right, two hours down, two hours ago. We'll get back to football in the five o'clock hour. Don't forget, we are going to say good night at six time for the Craigsmith Coaches Show at Slackwater.
Speaker 2: Craig and Rles will have that for you.
Speaker 1: Utah basketball with their first Big twelve win of the season, so congrats to them. And after the Craigsmith Coaches Show, stay tuned because you're gonna hear the conclusion and probably the majority quite frankly, of the Vikings and the Rams game. That Monday Night tilt will wrap up the wild card weekend of pro football. But coming up next, Bobby Marks, ESPN, NBA Front Office Insider, Monday Night Football on your airwaves this evening. Don't forget, where are your home of the NFL and college football in this market?
Speaker 2: We'll come your way after the Craigsmith Coaches Show you.
Speaker 1: Tom Manz Hoops gets their first Big twelve win of the year over the weekend, so stay tuned for that. But joining me now, Man, it's been a while that I always appreciated when the great Bobby Marks can make some time, and he does on a Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Bobby, Happy Monday, sir. How are you.
Speaker 13: I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm well.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the time. Of course, I will not bury the lead.
Speaker 1: Your reaction on Leangelo Ball signing a deal with Deaf JM weorth thirteen million dollars.
Speaker 13: I thought, that's what You're going to lead the show into this song. I'm probably not. You know, it's funny, my my, I have a fifteen and I'm an eighte year old. We're talking about it and I was like, yeah, let me listen. I'm want to listen to the lyrics. And I started playing in the kitchen. I was like, yeah, this is probably not the song that's going to be it's blaired in the Catholic school here down here in Naples.
Speaker 1: Oh that's probably yeah, for sure, for sure, for sure. I mean I would imagine being the only ball that's not playing pro basketball. You got to find a way to make some money. So I'm not a hater, Bobby.
Speaker 2: I'm not a hater.
Speaker 1: So good for him, not at all, all, right, Bobby, I don't know if you've noticed, Jazz aren't winning much this year. Okay, so I want to do a little jazz off the top. We won't do a ton.
Speaker 2: And I've got to say I'm more.
Speaker 1: Bullish on the potential of what they could be this year than I was either last year or the year before. Like I do think they're doing the right thing, and I actually applaud the way they're going about it. And Will's just like last night they sat half their team and Brooklyn is not a serious team, but the front office is trying to find a way to do this, and Will seems to be able to coach this team no matter who is on the roster. So while we're sitting here with a team that's ten and twenty eight in a market of basketball fans that are not accustomed to losing, I actually think there are some good signs.
Speaker 13: No, I mean, and I think you could probably say that even with you know kind of what happen what's happening with Brooklyn too, and I and I say this is that the most important thing that you can take away from this, and yes there's pain alongside. If I lived through it twelve and seventy, I lived through it. That's a that's a long year. Is to continually have your coach put a foundation in place, so when the time is right, and when when is that time, whether it be with your young players that continually play better and develop here, or if it's in a trade or if it's a free agency or when we get to the draft in June, that those guys there's a system in place with that. I think that's the most important thing. And I said this, I said, it's the Sean marks their general managers. This was before they made the Shrewd trade and during Finnish Smith and I said, listen, you have what we learned from Jordi Fernandez is that he can coaches rare endof and there's a system in place. And that's the two. I think that's the two two most important things that you can you can kind of take away from this. And Will is, yeah, listen, is this is different than you know the last two years. You get to what were they probably five hundred dish at the All Star break, and that's the hardest that's the hardest part to you. If you want to start tearing it down, then that's where it becomes very very difficult here. So I listen, they've they're open eyes as far as what the endgame here, you know, certainly with this draft coming up, but you know, you just you know, you're not you're not throwing away games, but you're you're putting your guys in a position where the developmental part is key. Listen, Isaiah last night at a you know, we don't we're not going to talk about the second violation. But you learn from those things, right, Those are like learning experiences that guys have to go through here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought, uh, I thought Colin Section was going to rip poor Isaiah's head off after the second violation. But yeah, you know, and and I'm not going to go down the list to ask it where you think about each player because that you know, ultimately time will tell. But I do want to kick the tires on a few of them because you know, whenever I I'll go on a radio show or a podcast and they want to talk about the jazz. The question they asked me consistently is who besides Lowry Marketing will be on this roster when they're good again, who's the keeper? Yeah, And honestly, prior to the start of the year, I would answer the question, I don't know, it's only Lowry at this point, and I'm kind of ready to put Walker next to market in with the way he's played this year.
Speaker 2: Give me your thoughts on year three for Walker Kessler.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I listen. I think I think there was so much of an expectation level going into last year, how he played, you know, his rookie year, you know, everything that came with it that you know. I don't I don't want to say letdown, but we were probably looking for him to maybe take another step last year, and it kind of plateaued a little bit here, I thought. I think I think this year, I think he's been extremely extremely good on the court, you know, both sides. You know, I think there's just more of a more of a comfort level. I chuckle sometimes when I hear his name mentioned in like trade talks, and I'm like, you know, the guy is really good, and he's on a rookie contract, and you know, I think he might be part of this future here. So I I like what I've seen from him. I think that's those are like those individual goals that we were kind of talking about, like what you can kind of take away from each guy, And it's it's like an open tryout this year, right, It's an open tryout for some of the I like what Bryce has done right, I thought he's played I thought he's played really well. I think Isaiah has you know, as the season grows up, you know you can you know, you feel comfortable with him, you know, running point as far as some of your younger guys. You know, Cody's going to be, you know, up and down. I think this is kind of a growing pains year. And I think whenever you're you're picked in the lottery, there is an expectation that you're going to be up there with Rookie of the Year, and that's you know, that's not always the case.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. And I do think he's really answered the bell.
Speaker 1: So I'll just expand and that question to see if And it's so hard. I mean, all of these most of these players are still babies and they've got a marathon in front of them. There have been some good Kyle Philipowski moments. I just don't I don't know what to make a Kyante you know. Sometimes I watch him, I'm like, yeah, I see it, and other times I'm like, well, he looks like Colin Sexton and Jordan Clarkson, and there's some redundancy on there. I don't know, but outside of marketing, outside of Kessler, who else you think is kind of uh in this plan for the long term.
Speaker 2: It could be around when they're good again.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean I think I think you have to As I said, I think you have to like what you show, what you've seen with with with Bryce, I think he's kind of been more you know, certainly more consistent than prior years. I agree with you regarding Kiante. I you know, I want to see more, right Like, I want to see him on the court. I want to see him healthy. I want to you know, last year was kind of a like a mixed bag of a little bit of a little bit of good and you know, a bunch of you know, a bunch of you know, whether it be turnovers or you know, carelessness. I you know, I wanted, you know, I want to see more of that. So I'm not yeah, I'm not ready to kind of annoying, you know. These are the five guys I think, as you know, I think the hardest thing with these rebuilds and is that you've got to have like a stud man, you got to have a franchise level. And what we've seen in Okay see, and certainly this year in Detroit, like you have a franchise level guard and I think that can take you a long way to told me like having you know, you draft the guy in the NFL and you get a quarterback and it's like, you know, he's are you know the kid you know, Jane mc daniels in in down in d C and everything like that. So that's where you know, I you know, if if I'm how this thing turns around in Utah, it's like you got to get one of those guys, right, you got to get one of those I don't know if it's gonna be in the draft or in a trade, and that kind of you know, that takes you long, uh, you know, a long way.
Speaker 1: So you won't be surprised to learn that Duke Basketball is receiving excellent rating in our market this year as we're all watching, I mean, he's really fun. Man Cooper flag dropped forty two over the weekend.
Speaker 2: And there are a lot of names.
Speaker 1: There's the Ace Bailey kid, There's Dylan Harper, and we could keep going. So the hope is finally Bobby Lady Luck shines on us out here in Salt Lake.
Speaker 2: Finally, we don't move down.
Speaker 1: Maybe we move up, and maybe Cooper Flag is alongside marketed in Kessler next year.
Speaker 2: That frontcour would be very popular in Utah.
Speaker 1: And I just won't elaborate on that anymore, but I'll ask you, what are you hearing about the type of pro that Cooper Flag is expected to be. If he stays healthy, puts in the work, it actually does fully develop.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 6: I saw him.
Speaker 9: I don't know if I told you this.
Speaker 13: I saw him a year ago down here at Fort Myers and the Tour, the big tournament they have every year. This is when he was sixteen and he was out Mountain Verd And I turned to a scout and I said he could play right now in the NBA. And the scout said to me, he reminded me of a younger Kevin Garnet. And it's really like, listen the forty two points he scored over the weekend against Pitt that's gonna be the you know, the running headline on ESPN dot com. I love his I love what he can do defensively. I love his length, I love his instincts, his ability to guard multiple positions here. I think that will that will get him. I mean, he'll play, but that will probably be his more of his niche than a guy that's gonna you're expecting to get, you know, thirty points from m or twenty five points. I think he's a I think he's a multipurpose you know player. He can play both ways here. That's that's kind of been you know that that was the takeaway from a year ago. That's still the takeaway now. I think, you know, we get caught up a little bit earlier in the year. There were some games, you know, certainly at the end where he turned the ball over. They're not asking him to do as much, you know, as far as put the ball in his hands like that. So listen there. You know, he'll be one of two or one of three, you know, probably top two. You know, we have a lot of people on number one. Dylan Harper certainly. You know. The to part with Rutgers is that they're not They're not gonna make a tournament, you know as where they are, so you're not gonna you're likely if you want to see him play now in the next couple months, you better do now, because the likely is you're not going to see him in March because they're really not having a really good year.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, that's true.
Speaker 1: That's true, and it's not a new thing in college basketball where transcending talent is playing for a team that can't just win. I mean, we could go over a bunch of examples Ben Simmons, LSU, but we won't do that today. So, Bobby, since you and I last spoke, a rather surprising development and Stephen A. Smith, your peer, was rather taken back when young AJ Debants had told him that he was taking his talents to Provo, Utah to play his college basketball.
Speaker 2: For Kevin Young and Brigham Young.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you the same question I asked you about Cooper, because I didn't know much about AJ prior to this storyline, and I've watched a ton of him since and he just appears to be generationally good.
Speaker 2: He and his dad said were one and done, and.
Speaker 1: So he's getting seven middle to play five months of basketball for BYU, Ryan Smith b Yu along big Time Donor. A lot of people are trying to line between like, hey, you can develop BYU players and they'll play for the Jazz. I'm like, that's not really how that works. But okay, but tell me your reaction when you heard AJ was coming out here?
Speaker 2: What kind of player?
Speaker 13: You think that he is not surprising at all? You know, I think they're you know, the Ties were kind of pointing that way. I enjoyed steven A's reaction, and I felt like saying, not everyone has to go to Duke or North Carolina or Kentucky or Kansas or some of these blue bloods. I think, what what they're building out there, I think can be really can be really good. I think when you talk to you know, certainly our own Johnathan Cavoni and our draft guys, is that, you know, as much as twenty twenty five is being built, twenty twenty six draft class is probably better as far as from a depth standpoint, And certainly AJ is sitting up there selling that the boozers or are there. I feel like this is that it's a draft class. We're going to see a lot of former NBA players with their sons in this in that class. So yeah, I think, you know, listen, if Jazz fans are like, oh my god, we have to sit through another one in these years and stuff like that, that next, you know, twenty to twenty sixth class could be, could be really really good. And I think you know certainly's versatility is length, position of need, which is always uh, which is always important.
Speaker 1: One more jazz question, and I've got to say I love having you on as a guest because I can actually get ten minutes of jazz conversation where other guys are like, hey, I'm not watching them, Like all right, I get it. But you are kind of a north star for for people when it comes to the trade deadline and we're high speed ahead to that trade deadline, and I just wonder, are you hearing anything about the jazz?
Speaker 2: Do you think they're active?
Speaker 1: And part of me, Bobby believes they're built perfectly for what they're trying to do this year because you've got to pay players.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if they can get a first for a vet.
Speaker 1: Maybe we see something, But what are you hearing about the jazz prior to that February deadline?
Speaker 13: Yeah, listen, I think when you when you look at it, it's it's will always point to the three veterans, right, whether it be Colin Jordan and John and John Collins. As far as you know, how do they fit in? You know, what's the value of it. Listen, I think out of the three colins got value right now, what's the value? Can you can you you know, get another first out of it? I don't know, based on you know, where the market is. I mean remember this year, this upcoming draft, Utah is part of a group of teams that have like fifteen out of thirty picks. Right they're with OKC in Brooklyn, San Anton I think is in there. So what's the value? What are you trying to do? Is calm more valuable to you in the locker room with your young players? You know, as I said, he still has another year. You know, Jordan's you know, certainly been dealing with that planner fasciet. John's got you know, John could be of service. But the hard part is that the rules make it extremely difficult when you're trading for a player who's earning more than you know, twenty twenty five million dollars, like we're going to see that. Like the guys in Washington, like Kusma and Brognen, I know, those guys are probably not getting traded, you know, at the deadline, as much as probably the Wizards would would like to do it and everything. So I think that's you know, that's the key leads as far as from a from a draft standpoint, I mean, from a trade standpoint, is that I don't know. I mean, I'm not expecting as much action as we've seen in the past, just based on a third of the league is in the ape, either in the apron or in a luxury tax, inability to take back more money, the inability to multiple them, to aggregate contracts. There's a lot of different variance is here with that. You know, Like last week at a team exec calm people like, Hey, I'm hearing something maybe Zach Levine in Utahn. I'm like, what are you talking about? That doesn't make sense? Right, Like, So you're you gotta flush out a lot of things as far as what's being talked about, you know, out there. But you know, we'll see, you know, you know, the Jimmy Butler situation certainly has kind of hovered over everything. It's kind of quieted down a little bit here. But for Utah, I think I think the big name would probably be because he's having a really good year. But as I said, he's done a really good contract, making eighteen nineteen million dollars and he has another year left.
Speaker 1: I like to turn flesh out, So let's flush out one more while we're in the space. And you know the deal. That's why I searched. You know, you're writing out and other people that I trust, because if you jump on social it's like hey, NBA trade deadline, primer.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 1: But there have been more than a few, and I can't give any credibility or credence to any of them. But since it's out there, I keep hearing, like, because a lot of teams need centers, and Walker's good. I'm not saying Danny and Justin wouldn't take a phone call, but I don't know that they have any interest in moving on from this kid who's really evolved.
Speaker 2: Year three, as we already talked about.
Speaker 13: Yeah, listen, I think you taught you you take a phone call and listen. Unless you have Curry or Lebron or you know somebody the Yannis and stuff, you know, some of these upper echelon guys, Shay, you take a phone call on everyone you know and you just basically hear that and you add it to your big board or your whiteboard, and you know, something makes sense. Some things, you know you circle back to when you get closer to February sixth here. But I will say this, I'm fifteen teams into my big trade guy that I put out at the end of January. This is probably the toughest year. I mean, the most difficult year as far as I'm a writing standpoint, just because there's not as much juice out there, right Like you're you know, you're trying to look at different angles and everything like that, and it's hard to complac Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, well said.
Speaker 1: Since you brought up the Jimmy Butler thing, I know nobody knows, but he is the name that everybody's talking about. And I hear a different team every week. Memphis I think was out there for a minute, Golden State, Phoenix, who needs to do something? But how does it play out? I mean, you don't mess with pat Riley, you just don't. And he tried, he got sad. So so what's the end game here? Because Bobby, as you know, there are several reasons that makes sense for Miami just to not make a move.
Speaker 2: So I'm not I'm not really sure how this plays out. What do you think?
Speaker 13: Yeah, listen, they're not going to trade, They're not going to try for Bradley Beal, like guy will go on the record and say that ain't happen. They're not taking back what is left. And Bradley Beal has done a nice job in Phoenix, but he's not a fifty three to fifty four million dollar player, so it makes no sense for Miami to go about in that direction here. I think how it works out is that Jimmy Butler returns from this suspense this and this is all to Jimmy Butler. Jimmy Butler returns in the suspension at the end of the week, he plays out the year, there's no trade at the deadline, and then he opts into his contract at the end of the year, and both sides work out of trade in the offseason because there's more flexibility as far as when you can when you can go at the rules get a little bit looser as far as because the money starts to increase the salary cap. And I think that's what happens now that that's there's a big asterisk next to that, and it's a wildcard because I don't know how Jimmy Butler reacts when he comes from back from the suspension on Friday, and if he and if he doesn't act right, the heater is just going to spend him again. I mean, that's the reality of it here, and I said it. I said it over the weekend. Miami needs Jimmy Butler, and Jimmy Butler needs Miami. If Jimmy Butler wants another contract out there, he needs them and he needs them to be he needs to be on the court playing at a high level.
Speaker 1: Well said, all right, let's move over here. A couple of minutes left that I'll set you loose. I always appreciate your time. You know, Year two, Donovan Mitchell, you know, Jazz makes some good moves. Dennis brings in Ricky Rubio, Joe Ingles becomes a player that nobody thought he could. Go Bear Pops as this defensive stopper, and the Jazz go to the playoffs and they beat Okac and Donovan is their primary offensive option. And I remember thinking insane on air, like this is such good news that a year two player now has playoff experience. This will pay off in five, six, seven years And it is.
Speaker 2: But it's in.
Speaker 1: Cleveland, right, So how real is it? Because he seems to be maturing. He did an interview a couple of weeks ago where he's like, hey, guys, I'm playing defense now, and all of us are like, thanks dude, but you got to respect what he's doing.
Speaker 2: And they're thirty three and five. Man, how much of a threat A thing? I guess I'll say to the Celtics, they're a threat now, Listen.
Speaker 13: A threat. I mean, I said on Sports Center last after that game, and I said, probably Cavalier fans I want to hear this, but listen, Boston still a favor, right, I mean, just based on what happened last year here, but you should take Cleveland much more serious than than if you did a year ago, because they have done a really good job with Donovan's minutes. You know, last year I thought he was dragging that leg, you know, that knee at the end that in the Boston series, and certainly in that in that Orlando series, he's they're managing his minutes. I mean he's right around like thirty thirty one minutes and stuff, which is huge. And then you saw and they you know, okay, see gave me scored eleven points. He doesn't have to be superman, right, They've gotten Mobley has taken a huge step in his development Garland Allen, they've got nice lifts off the bench with with Lavert h they finally got shrewsed back. Ty Dromes played really well and so it's more it's more of a balanced team than it was the Donovan Mitchell we saw trying to put up fifty because he needs, you know, he needs to win on the road at Orlando here like like we did last saw last April. So I just think it's a maturation. It's it's evolving as far as for him because he realizes that he does not have to be the guy. And I think, you know, certainly Kenny Atkinson has you know, has done a nice job there. But I could also say that jab Paper staff did a nice job because look at what Jay's doing in Detroit. I mean, that's one of the great stories of the NBA right now here. So yeah, I think I think it's just a matter of how guys mature, you know, whether it be in their eighth or ninth year.
Speaker 1: All right, Bobby, before I set you loose, I'll just we'll end with this. You know, a lot of conversation about how many good teams there are this year and how there's parody all over the place. Are we just simply going to end with Okac and Boston in the final? And if not, who gets in Okac's way out this way?
Speaker 13: Yeah, they still scare me a little bit. I mean, I really like what they've done. Uh and we haven't even seen you know, Chet's been out and Cruso has been out of a big chunk of big chunk games. It scares me a little bit. And and and a couple of the Marquee games, whether it be I guess, you know, we put the NBA Cup up there against Milwaukee and then that Cleveland game, it you know kind of you know, you know turned you know, it turned south for for both those games here, So that that scares me a keeeny bit here. But who But if you're saying it, then who is it in the West right? Like who's gonna is it? Can Can it be Denver? Is Denver gonna go? You know they've played really well of late here. Do you trust Houston? Probably not in a big setting. Memphis, if they're all healthy, what do they do at the deadline? Maybe they make a move to try to add another player here? So I think, you know, certainly, you know, I think it's it's probably more. I would say it's probably I don't want to play okay See Boston right away. I mean, I'm not. You know, what Cleveland has done is remarkable, and I think it's certainly a toss up of them getting out of the East and then certainly the you know, I think that some of it depends on what happens at the deadline, and but okay See will be the one seed here and I think will be fascinating because one of those teams that we've seen we saw last year, whether it be Golden State or Phoenix or one of those teams, maybe San and Tone will be playing them, probably in the first round.
Speaker 2: Well, Bobby, great stuff.
Speaker 1: As always, we'll see where the trade deadline brings and now it's time to lean into more pro basketball. So appreciate your time on a Monday. Have a great week.
Speaker 7: Thank you, sir, appreciate it.
Speaker 13: Thanks, Yep, you got it all right.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: Bobby Marks, ESPN front office insider spent a number of years in NBA front offices with the New Jersey Nets and in others. He writes all their trade deadline primers. He did a really good piece recently on the teams in the best spots to add add talent via draft capital over the next four or five years. The jazz I believe were fourth the first. The first team on that list is Oklahoma City.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Get him on Twitter at Bobby Marks forty two is where you find them. About ninety minutes away from the Craig Smith Coach you show you Tom N's hoops with its first Big twelve win.
Speaker 2: Of the season.
Speaker 1: On Saturday, following the conclusion of the Craigsmith Coaches Show live at Slackwater, we will bring you Monday Night football. The final game of the Wildcard weekend is the Rams and the Vikings in Glendale. That game has been moved from Los Angeles as a result of the horrific fires in the greater Los Angeles area. But we'll take a break from our football and basketball conversation to welcome in the guy that can help us understand what's up. I'm not the guy for this, but Brian Dunseth is on a Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Donty, Happy Monday, my guy. How you doing.
Speaker 9: I'm good man, I'm good. How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good?
Speaker 1: So world traveling right, You've been taking a little time off as you should during this time. I believe you've been traversing the world. How's the off season been for you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's been good, man, it's been quick. We got away. We did a couple I think we did like fifteen days down in Cabo over the holiday break, and we're home for a couple days and then we're down in Mesquite, Nevada for my son Luca, my six year old, have a tournament down there. So it was all right. Back to the mix and I'm off for the US men's national team coverage this weekend. I leave Thursday, but Saturday against Venezuela Mcanelli and Diego Luna going to be part of that, and then the following Wednesday against Costa Rica out in Orlando.
Speaker 1: Oh very nice. Good for you back at well, glad you got some time off. Shout out to Luca. All right, man, Like a lot of people, I got the alert on my phone that RSL had moved on from Chicho Orongo, saw that it was San Jose, saw the takeaway, and I just went, wait, what, like, now, there's a lot here, right, There's a lot of meat on this bone. And I'm of the opinion that last year's team, with Andris on the wing and Chicho scoring goals and a bevy of other contributors for about fifteen sixteen games, was as entertaining as any team we've had here, and Chicho was in the middle of a stretch that was as exciting as any striker we've had here. That includes Sabo, and we could go down the list. But the suspension comes down, and I can remember talking to you shortly thereafter and people over the club, and there was this feeling like, we just hope this does not derail the entire exciting stretch that we've just seen.
Speaker 2: Well, it appears, Dunny that it did exactly that.
Speaker 1: So, now that you have the ability to be a little bit retrospective and you talked to some people, why did this go down?
Speaker 2: How did this go down? And why did they take what I perceived.
Speaker 1: To be pennies on the dollar for such a talented yet mercurial player.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'll tell my best sense, because much like you caught completely off guard by the announcement that the Chico was sent out to San Jose and linking up with Bruce Arena and subsequently Joseph Martinez, the former league MVP, and goalscorer from Atlanta United. He was down at Miami and up at Montreal. He just joined up as well with Bruce and San Jose. So Bruce rina making some moves after returning to Major League Soccer after being unceremoniously pushed out of the New England Revolution.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Listen, man, if you go to the twenty twenty four stat page for Major League Soccer with regards to Real Salt Lake, it's got Chi choh Rongo on seventeen goals, twelve assists. It's got Andres Go. I was still up there with thirteen goals, nine assists. He's got Anderson Julio with nine goals, three assists, Diego Luna had eight and twelve, and then Matt Crooks three and five. I mean that my math isn't great from calac fullyds Tim Passer fail, but that's four of your top five goal scorers are no longer in the building. Down in Sandy, Utah or down in Herriman, depending on which part we're talking about. You know a lot of ways this is devastating. You go back a couple of summers ago, eighteen months and we're talking about Chi cho Rongo for six million coming from Mexico after his time at LAFC and for the first time in a long time, and you referenced Sabaio. You know, we felt like here at Real Salt Lake, you have one of the most dynamic goal scorers in Major League Soccer, a guy that was familiar with the league and the necessity of the week in, week out grind and the understanding that this is going to be one of the big focal points going forward that was supposed to put Real Seal Lake over the top. Fast forward twelve months. You got a guy who, on seventeen goals and I believe a ten or eleven assists, was an MLS All Star, was up for the MLS All Star captaincy, and out of nowhere the suspension hits. There was a lot of questions, a lot of uncertainty surrounding the exact nature of the suspension. It still hasn't been clarified by either the player of the club or even Major League Soccer. But the moment that that's been suspension came down, you were right. There was a major concern, especially with the correlation of the sale of Andres Gomez and thirteen million coming over from RN that you know where where were these thirty goals going to come from? It came from goals by committee. I mean, Real Lake has the unfortunate title of, you know, being knocked out of the playoffs without losing a game, going to penalties against Minnesota and in both games losing and just being dumped out of the playoffs and going into a question mark of the offseason with players contracts and thinking about what the future was going to look like it but against and whether this was the player's decision that he was asking for a move. There were whispers that this was something that was better for he and his family to a little longer be in Salt Lake. There was whispers potentially going back to Columbia, but for the price one and a half million and I think one point four million in general allocation money plus an international spot. To give context to this, Craig Wible, former general manager at Salt Lake currently in Seattle, sent two million dollars general allocation money, international spot and Dealeo Chu down to Dallas in return for Haeses Fedeta. I would argue that Chicho Rangos is a much in terms of finances, would be at a bare minimum the same cost for trade as what we saw Craig wible stand on Hayes's for data. So a big loss in terms of the goal scoring ability. You're talking about the club captain as well, leadership vacuum inside of that locker room, and still more questions as opposed to answers as to why exactly this was a move best for the player and his family to depart Salt Lake City.
Speaker 2: So let's stay in the space for a moment.
Speaker 1: Your point about the compensation is well taken, and Kurt Schmid is a smart soccer executive. So because of these dynamics, I have to imagine there was pressure potentially from the people that signed Kurt's checks to say, we need to get this done, and we need to get this done quickly, and we need to get it done before Conky CAF which is next month. But that is that such a horrible haul? And I know he's aging, right, I know he's a little bit older, and maybe his reputation is taken a hit because apparently he could be a little bit difficult to deal with, not just with with Salt Lake but also in Los Angeles. I can't speak to any of that, so I'm sure you've talked to some of the same people I have. Maybe there was some uncomfortable feelings from his family about staying here for certain reasons that will remain off air.
Speaker 2: But have you been able to uncover any reason.
Speaker 1: As to why they decided to take what I perceived to be a really awful deal. They must have been up against a massive deadline, and it feels like they just made a phone call was like, who wants them? Okay, you can have him, even though we're not getting what we should in return for them.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean Spence, I taught to somebody associated with San Jose as a club and I congratulated him because I thought it was it was a hell of a deal for them. I mean, one point four million in general location money in that spot in today's world is really not that much. And again I'm not a math genius, but taking a loss on four and a half million is a significant wash considering you knew exactly what you were paying for eighteen months ago. Yeah, I would assume similar that this was something that had to have been sanctioned. This wasn't going to be something that just Ker Schmidt was making the decision upon. This would have had to have been a collaborative effort and agreement that from Pablo and his coaching staff, Kurt Jason and anybody else associated before it ran up the food chain to you know, the the Blitzer hierarchy, Blitzer Smith hierarchy, and whoever ultimately is in charge of managing this club. From their perspective that you've got a lot of smart people walking away from a lot of significant money, especially in a a in a window in which you know, you go back and think about the effective seventeen to eighteen million dollars raised off sales during the summer transfer window, invested minutely with Diogo Gonsalveez coming at the end of the summer transfer window. That not really working as quickly as we thought it was going to work out. And maybe that's a byproduct of Luna's development being the MLS Young Player of the Year, and maybe Matt Crooks filling a role. But again, it's not just Chicho Rongo. It's Anderson Julio, It's Andres Gomez, Matt Crooks. Those are a lot of goals departing I mean, you're you're talking. I think roughly forty two goals in all competitions that are no longer a part of this group. That's that's a big void. So yeah, your assumption is well taken as something that I would agree upon as well, that if you're going to get this deal done for you know, roughly one point four in general allocation money at this stage of the season, that you felt like you needed to make the decision, because in my world that doesn't come close to the full valuation of what a guy like Chicho Arongo's capable of doing a major league.
Speaker 1: Soccer So I'm not sure Danille'll ever be like fully on board with we find young talents, we invest young talent, we develop young talent, and then we sell good players. But I understand it, and Andres's proof of concept. So thirteen mil potentially, I get it. I understand that. But tell me what you're hearing about Diego, who right now appears to be like such a necessity in a lynchpin with the lack of creativity in that group.
Speaker 2: Is there a chance that he's gone prior to the start of the season.
Speaker 9: No, I mean, there's nothing to suggest. And again I'm not privy to those internal conversations, you know, for fielding phone calls and interest, And again I would just I would always remind people that, you know, a conversation about a player isn't an offer for a player, So theoretically you never really truly know the intrinsic value of a player unless that you know comes over in that email that facts whatever we're talking about to justify what a real offer looks like. And it's different. Right, Fidel Braja is going for five million after costing two hundred thousand. Elston Battery is more of a bright product of a rule change down in Lega a Mechi's in Mexico where they're putting higher value on Mexican international players or those that have dual Mexican international availability, because Major League Soccer is cashed in on some players that were highly overvalued by Legua a Mechi's versus what we've seen value internally in Major League Soccer. But yeah, with Luna in particular, listen, I think this January camp, I've got him as my Tier one, number one player to keep an eye on because I think his skill set and his ability, his mentality is something special and I think after the season he just had, he could be one of the few players in this January camp that I think has a realistic opportunity to really impress Mauricio Pochettino in a manner that could see a more consistent basis of call ups, similar to what we saw with Aiden Morris and Columbus Crew a year ago, who was with Diego making his international debut down in San Diego against Slovakia, turned that into a sale to Middlesbrough in the Championship and you know, subsequently being more outside of that knee injury, having more of a role with Marito Pozattino's central midfield conversation. But as of right now, there's nothing to suggest that Diego Luna is the next one out the door. I think he's fully capable of earning himself significant interest and inevitably, you know, a couple of doors being knocked on, they're kicking the tires at least by teams over in Europe. But I could see that more in a summer transfer window interest as opposed to a January window.
Speaker 1: So there's a report the club has not announced it yet, but you know, I think it's just fair to say, and I'm not trying to be overly critical. The situation goal felt untenable last year where Zach was making some errors where you're like, dude, are there orange slices and fruit? You know, the snacks involved in like so many weird gas from Zach who's done it for a lot long time. Gavin ultimately gets the shot to win that job and he didn't. You know, he's young, He's got a lot of upside. But apparently Gavin is being moved on to a Danish club. So what is your understanding as far as what the plan is in goal for oursel this year?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so it sounds like Gavin Biever's is going to be a part of the Blitzer umbrella because the Blitzer Sports and you know, Splitzer Sports also owns Bronby over in Denmark, and that's where it sounds like that's going to be the landing spot. Tommy Boger, Tommy Snacks, as I call him, the best mustache in the game, has all the inside information from a soccer perspective, and he was the first to kind of really put this out there that Gavin was on his way. Now we don't understand the full compensation, you know, is it a couple million? Is it only a million? I know there was there was whispers about interest from Newcastle United from the Premier League over the summer, but that didn't materialize into a true offer from what I understood at the time, more about again kicking the tires and seeing what the value potentially could have been for Real as Salt Lakes desire and want. Listen, I think both he and Zach you know, we're given the opportunity to. I think and I feel like this is the biggest question coming out of League's Cup and that suspension, and coincided with the Chiecho conversation, is you've got two goalkeepers that couldn't figure out a way to consistently play at a high enough level. That didn't justify Pablo and their coaching staff to have significant questions about either goalkeeper. And Listen, you were coming out twelve months ago steps from Maxim Crepo, John McCarthy, some significant goalkeepers being available in the internal free agent market, and Real Salt Lake not interest on in making a run at either of them or competing for the signature of either of them. Zach's been a solid goalkeeper. I've always thought that in terms of competition, you could go out in the market, either internationally or intra league and find someone that could compete and make both goalkeepers better. But you know, there was a pathway for Gavin to be the number one. He couldn't hold on to it. He was given i would say, two to three legitimate opportunities to be the number one goalkeeper. And whether it was a crisis of confidence three games in seven days, or you know, just not proving that he was the under speed in number one, that didn't mean that there wasn't significant interest because of his performances at the U nineteen US Under nineteen team level. And that's what I've been told led to this Bronbee opportunity. So it does sound like there's a potential for a new goalkeeper coming through the door. I've been told that it sounds like there's a potential for that announcement coming soon. And hopefully this is this is a guy that isn't just competing for the number one spot, that potentially is for the number one spot because I feel like since the loss of Nick Romando, you know, we've had Deva Dachilla, who was a Western Conference final winning goalkeeper. For whatever reason, he's gone out the door. Now you're going to lose another young, dynamic, high potential, high threshold goalkeeper, and you've got to figure out what's happening from that position. Are you developing for you finding yourself an undisputed number one. So hopefully that that has been answered by the time, you know, I guess day one started today. By the end of the week, and you start thinking about we're right around the corner from the startup CAFT Championship, and that's kind of.
Speaker 1: One of where I want to go next, Donny, because as you reference, like, the players are gathering and I'm just you know, you have Mark Zuke, who I think, you know, as a chance to be really really good, to be honest, I mean with a full preseason, you've got uh, you know, Diogo Gonsalvez, who certainly has skill it never fully you know, came together last year.
Speaker 2: I'm just looking at the attacking group, like, what exactly are we doing here?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Of course, you know Diego's still around, so there's some bright I guess i'll say skilled midfielder midfielders, But who's who's scoring goals?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: And do you think there's some reinforcements on the way, maybe as early as the next few weeks before their first cocky Calf match.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean the well they went through the MLS Combine and through the MLS College Draft and picked up a pretty sizable amount of players. Now, the one thing we never know is are you finding he asked for Lafelson or an Amcca and Nelly in this draft we talked about Diego Luna being involved with Mauricio Pochettino side a mecha and Nelly is also down in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale right now with US team. And that's an incredible story of a young man that, you know, the pathless traveled, not picked to go pro, going through the college game and worked himself through, you know, the early part of what his future as a professional soccer player looked like, and ultimately rewarded with the starting spot and playing so well that he was in contention for a lot of these conversations, including the All Star Game, but ultimately with Diego being coinciding a call up to the US men national team. So there is still value in the college game. You hope at this stage that there's enough of a philosophical approach as well as a professional layout that the identification process through the academy system from the fifteen year olds to the nineteen year olds, that you're creating a pathway through the academy to the real Monarchs to the first team, and there's a viable option there. And we see guys like Zavi Ragozo who consistently are being called into the US under seventeens, eighteens, nineteens, and now twenties that there's hopefully a pathway if he's good enough for the US under twenty national team, that he's good enough to see some significant minutes. You know, not too long ago, we were celebrating a guy like Axel Kai, and Axle Kai hasn't come close to really breaking through at the highest level. So you know, in this offseason, you know, you trade, you know, a couple of players in particular, You're getting Sam Junka, who's a defender who's got some memost experience. You got Tyler coming over from Atlanta United. That's Josh Wilis's oldest son who's had some pretty good minutes in Major League Soccer so far. You've got Eliath Monuel who came over from the New York Red Bulls who was started on the bench in the MLS Cup Final and came in while they were chasing the game. To try to get themselves back in and then the announcement today of the loan of Kobe Henry coming in, who is a dynamic, young center back with a high threshold who started off in Orange County in the second division here in the United States and was over at Rim and so you're gonna give him a runout on a loan option. But outside of that, I think you're still waiting for these announcements and the timing and the league and making sure all the passport and the visa situations get all laid out. That takes a little bit more time than anybody's willing to really admit. But yeah, to your point, whether you're talking about Gonzalez, you're talking about mar Chuk, you're talking about any of these other players, Laughlin Brook. At the end of the day, again, there's a lot of goals that are missing and a short amount of time for Pablo and his staff. I mean, and here's the other thing, Spence, you know, to assume that they're just going to roll out the same formation or at least the tactical approach becomes up for debate because you've lost so many different players and because this system is you know, is the players fitting the system is the system fitting the players, and that's going to be the challenge for Pablo and his coaching staff, especially with kind of the leadership vacuum that I would say, in particular, you lose from Chiico and a guy like Matt Crooks walking out the door.
Speaker 1: All right, Donnie, Before I said you loose, I mean, look, they set a club record for points a year ago, they set a club record for goal scored a year ago, they were ousted in the first round of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: What gives?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: Like? Why the fire sale?
Speaker 1: And as a guy that has been in a number of locker rooms, what does that say to you about the things that behind the scenes that were potentially going on that maybe none of us really knew, like it? I don't know, Man, For a season that had so many victories, it seems odd to more or less break it down to the studs.
Speaker 2: So why do you think they're doing it?
Speaker 9: Yeah, and again I'm not privy to the financial ratifications. Obviously, I don't have the insight of exactly the breakdowns of how they're functioning. Because there's a bunch of different options in terms of designated players U twenty two initiative players target allocation money. You know, there's a bunch of expendable cash, supplemental cash that can be invested by ownership based on how you build your roster in the structure. But I'll be as honest and transparent as I possibly can as just an Apple TV analyst in this situation, I'm shocked. I got to be honest with you. I'm shocked that whatever's happened in Chicho, in his family's world, that this was a necessary move at this time of his career and at his tenure with the club, Because you don't go from being club captain in seventeen goals in a season to all of a sudden have so much havocs surrounding you that this moment is the moment that you decide, with your family's agreement that you got to get out of Salt Lake. I completely understand Andres gomaz and pulling that trigger on his move in the summer and effectively coming just over thirteen million in from Red. So those are planning purposes, and I think that was part of the deal that comes Alvez Anderson Julio. I'm not aware of exactly what his number or his cap hit was with either triggering an extension or whatever was left on his deal, because I'll gently remind everybody that usually the backside of deals are, as you know, spence in any sport, pretty heavily burdening for clubs, depending upon what the outlay of the statistics look like. And then Matt Crooks is more of a family issue for as far as I'm concerned, and from what I've been told that it was going to be difficult for him to stay here for more than one year based on what was going on with his wife and his family and the desire to stay back in England. So there's certainly circumstances again, as you know, in any walk of life, any sport, that clubs have to deal with. But I did not have this on my winter off season Bingo Pard that this club was going to be torn apart in the manner in which it was, and so significantly transitioning in a time where I thought that the potential going in the off season was making a decision on maybe one, two three players max, but certainly not losing forty plus goals in one fell swoop of one off season in Major League soccer.
Speaker 1: My goodness, my goodness. All right, buddy, next time somebody forwards me an article. When you're asked about the first broadcasting job that you've ever had, please make sure that it includes that the idiot that I heard talking they knew nothing about soccer also petition to get me on his show. I just want you to include that the next time you're asked about it. I just want you to include that piece.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I just want everyone to know. Spence and Trey were the first two people after I retired quote unquote that I looked around and I said, let me know when you guys want someone who knows what they're talking about. And that was the start of my glorious involvement in the media. What was that maybe May or June of two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Somewhere there some are right in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, we go along.
Speaker 9: We go way back, way back, Yes.
Speaker 1: Sir, all right, brother, thanks for the time. I'd be good with chat. Soom appreciation Brian done seth Apple TV. You can hear them on the call for a lot of the US men's national team matches as well.
Speaker 2: And I think Donny put it really well.
Speaker 1: If you are an RSL fan and I'm aware that a few of you are not here from you from time to time. This is a wild, wild approach for a team that it appeared to have a lot of really good things going for it. But I guess the only time we'll tell Kurts a smart guy ownership is showing the willingness and ability to write some checks, and Pablo at this point probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. Concacaf a few weeks away. The guys are the lads. Here for the lads. They're gathering right now for camp