Speaker 1: One of the most beloved verses in the Bible is Romans eight twenty eight. So verse you've probably heard many, many, maybe hundreds of times. It's one of the great promises of the Bible, and it says this at the top of your outline, we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him. And usually we stop right there, we leave off the second half of the verse, and we say, what a great promise.
Speaker 2: We know that in all things.
Speaker 1: Not just the good things in life, but even in the bad things, the ugly things, the terrible, the tragic things of life. In all things, God works for the good of those who love Him. Doesn't say they're good. There's a lot of bad in life. There's a lot of bad things happening in your life, not all things that happen to your good. But God says all things, God works them together for good.
Speaker 2: He can bring good out of even bad for those who love God.
Speaker 1: And usually we stop the verse right there. But the rest of the verse says this, We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called circle the word called, who have been called according to His purpose and circle the word purpose, circle called and circle purpose, and draw a line between them because calling and purpose go together. Now, if I were to say to you, what do you think of first when I say the word call, make a call, get a call, be called, you think of a telephone and maybe they calling out for pizza, you know, something like that. When I have to be honest with you, a little true confession, as your pastor, I don't like telephones. I never have because telephones to me represent two things. Number One, they represent an interruption. And maybe they don't seem like an interruption to you, but if you were a pastor, you would be on call twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 2: Like doctors are.
Speaker 1: I get calls twenty four hours a day, often in the middle of the night, and so when the phone rings, it usually means it rings when I'm busy or I'm relaxing, or I'm studying, or I'm sleeping, or I'm talking with somebody else or whatever. But it represents the interruption. The second thing reason I don't like it is because in my case, it often.
Speaker 2: Or normally means bad news.
Speaker 1: Somebody's calling and tell me about somebody's just died, somebody's just lost a loved one, somebody's gone been rushed to the hospital, somebody's just found.
Speaker 2: Out a cancer test.
Speaker 1: And as a pastor, of course, I deal with people in pain literally every day of my life. And so when the phone rings, I'm not thinking I wonder if I just won the lottery. First place, I don't use the lottery, which you shouldn't either. By the way, if you want to do the lotter, here's what you do. Come outside and just give me the money, okay, because you're not going to get anything out of it. I might as well put it to use and use it for the peace plan. But but you know, let's say the phone rang one day and you thought this is an interruption or it's going to be bad news. But somebody who was calling to tell you you had just inherited fifty million dollars. You would not want to miss that call. What if God called you? Let me give you a little tip. When God calls, you do not use call waiting. When God calls, you do not put it on the answer voicemail. When God calls, you do not let it ring and ring and ring and ring. Pick it up on the first call. When God calls you. Now the Bible says you have already been called. You have been called according to His purpose. A couple verses down from that, Romans eight thirty, it says this, look here on the screen. Those that God predestined he also called, and those he called he also justified, and those he justified he also glorified. Now that's a lot of big theological words, and we're going to cover some of those in the weeks ahead. But the word I wants to focus on as we begin live your calling is that word called. The Bible says you have been called by God. What does that mean? The word in the Greek is the word callao k a l e o calaioh. It's almost like calleaioh call, and the word calaoh means God is calling you. And it's used about one hundred times in the New Testament, over one hundred times, and most of the time it's talking about your assignment in life, your purpose in life, your mission in life, the reason God created it is called your calling. Now in purpose driven Life forty Days of Purpose, we looked at the word purpose, but actually the word calling, which refers to the same thing, is used ten times more than the word purpose in the Bible ten times more to refer to your assignment, your purpose, the reason you exist, why God made you, What on earth am I here for? And in the next six weeks we're going to look at why am I alive? And what am I supposed to do with my life? And if forty days of purpose was kindergarten, now we're moving a step up and we're going into the advanced class on God's calling on your life. Now, the Greek word is the word caleao for calling. The Latin word is another word you've heard of for calling, and it is the word vocation.
Speaker 2: You've heard of that a vocation.
Speaker 1: Vocation comes from the Latin word vos vosera.
Speaker 2: It means to speak at me, to call.
Speaker 1: We get the word voice, we get the word vocal, vocalized comes from the word vocation. It is your calling. So your vocation and your calling are the same thing. Now, here's the problem today, the word vocation has been so reduced and so minimized to just mean my job, my career. Your calling is not your career. I'm going to explain that in detail in the weeks ahead. But your calling is not your career. Your calling is far far far far far far far more significant, far larger, far more all encompassing than your career. So your vocation is misused when you say my vocation is my job.
Speaker 2: No, you have a job.
Speaker 1: But your vocation is your calling in life. And we are going to study that. The Bible, this book is the story of God calling people, and the whole Bible is about God calling Noah, God calling Abraham, and Abraham responding, God calling Moses for a purpose in life, and Moses responding. God calling Nehemiah, who was a builder. God calling Isaiah and Jeremiah and Ezekiel and Daniel and Hoseiah and Joel, and God calling David, and God calling Solomon. In the New Testament, God calling Peter and Paul and Mary. And if you laughed at that, you are incredibly old. Okay, some twenty something Peter, Paul, Mary.
Speaker 2: I don't get it. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Okay, God calling Paul, and God has a call on every person's life. Now, as your pastor, my prayer for you is going to be this verse there on your outline Ephesians chapter one. My prayer is that light will flood your hearts. You know when we sing that song open the eyes of my heart. Lord, you know that song that's from this verse, that's from this verse. My prayer is that light will flood your hearts and that you will understand the hope, the hope that was given to you when God called you. Now understand the calling on your life. When you understand you, when you understand your call in life, is going to give you incredible hope. And he says, I want you to understand that. He says, when you do, when you understand God's calling on your life, then you will discover the glorious blessings that will be yours together with all of God's people. He said, when you know your calling, you understand, then you discover the incredible blessings that you've been missing out on. The reason I'm so excited about the next six weeks together.
Speaker 2: To take you to a whole another level.
Speaker 1: To understand the glorious blessings that God wants to do in your life. Now, what we're going to do today is I'm just going to introduce this subject and give you an overview of eight things you need to know. I'm going to summarize one hundred different verses on calling in the Bible, and give you the eight things you need to know about your calling in life and why we're going to do this together.
Speaker 3: Do you ever wonder if your life really matters or what on earth you're here for. Pastor Rick wants to let you know that God has a good plan and purpose for your life. In his best selling book, The Purpose Driven Life, he lays out a simple, life changing roadmap to help you discover and live it. This book has transformed millions of lives and it could transform someone you love. And great news it's been updated for today's generation. This edition includes a video introduction and audio teaching from Pastor Rick for each chapter, and two powerful bonus chapters on the biggest barriers to living a purpose driven life. As you go through this book, you'll uncover that your deepest meaning and fulfillment doesn't come from success or status, but from understanding and living out the purpose that God created you for. Request your copy today. When you give a gift to help daily Hope share the Gospel around the world, it's our way of saying thanks. By the way, this month, only any gift you give will be matched up to one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: So let's look at eight things I need to know about my calling in life?
Speaker 2: Why God put me here on earth? Write these down. Number one.
Speaker 1: The first thing we learned from God's word is this, my calling is a gift from God. My calling is a gift from God. I don't earn it. I don't deserve it. I don't work for it. I don't bargain for it. I don't barter for it. It's just a flat out gift of God's grace. It is His present to me. When He created me, he called me, and it's all by grace. Galatians Chapter one says this, God, by his grace through Christ, has called you to become his people. Now circle the phrase by his grace. What is grace? Grace is undeserved kindness. Undeserved kindness. It's when God gives you what you need, now what you deserve. If we all got what we deserved, we wouldn't be here. The fact is, God says, I give you what you need, not what you deserve. Grace is the fact that God knows every dumb mistake you're going to make in life, and he still chose to create you. He knew all the times you were going to disobey him. And he still chose to create you. That is the grace of God. The fact is grace is that God knows all the things I've done. And even when I was thumbing my nose to him and rejecting him, God was saying.
Speaker 2: I love you, I love you, I love you.
Speaker 1: Now your calling is actually a part of your salvation. The calling to Christ is also the calling to your purpose. Two Timothy one nine says He has saved us and called us. Notice they go together. Saved us and called us to a holy life, not because of anything we've done, but because of his own purpose and grace, his purpose and his grace. So God gives gives me a calling in life simply because He wants to give me a calling life. I don't deserve it, He just gives it to me. Now circle the word purpose on that verse, because that leads us to the second thing we learn, and is this, I am called for God's purpose, not mine, but God's. I'm not called for God's God's I'm not called for my plan in life. I'm called for God's plan. God did not make you for you. You think God created you just to live a selfish little life of self centeredness.
Speaker 2: It's all about me, me, me, me, me. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: God didn't make you for you. You were made by God and you were made for God. And until you understand that, life's never gonna make sense, and you're gonna get bored, and you're gonna get frustrated, you're gonna have all kinds of difficulty because you don't understand you were made for God. I am called for God's purpose. God's calling is about his plan for my life, not my plan. His dream for my life, not my dream. His purpose for my life, not my purpose, or my parents' purpose, or my boyfriend's purpose, or my husband or wife's purpose, is for God's purpose for my life. Now, a good example of this is the story of Jacob and Esau. In the Bible, they were twins. There was a guy in the Bible named Abraham and he had a son named Isaac, and Isaac had two sons who were twins, Jacob and Esau. Now, in those days, the firstborn child, particularly the firstborn son, got all of the credit, got all of the glory, got all of the love. The firstborn son was the one who he would inherit the family inheritance and it's like you're special. Number one, you're great, and number two, Oh, we're glad you're here too.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like aside. And God didn't like that.
Speaker 1: And in the case of Esau and Jacob, Esau was the firstborn son, and God said, you know what, I have a calling for Esau's life and I have a calling for Jacob's life. But just because I want to do this, we're going to reverse it. And I'm choosing Jacob to get the blessing of the firstborn son, even though he was born second. And he told this to their mother, Rebecca, before she even delivered. In Romans chapter nine, it says this before the two boys were born, God told Rebecca, the older will serve the younger. Now, that's exact opposite of culture. And this was before the boys had done anything. In other words, they didn't deserve it, they hadn't merited anything good or bad. God said this so that the one chosen would be chosen because of God's own plan as his purpose. He was chosen because he was the one God wanted to call, not because of anything he did. I'm fortunate that I learned my call in life at a pretty pretty young age. I hadn't done anything, I hadn't deserved anything. I certainly wasn't worthy of any kind of call. But I learned what I'm going to be teaching you in the next six weeks. When I was sixteen years old old, I was actually working at a camp in northern California, up in the mountains and the Redwoods.
Speaker 2: And one night I went.
Speaker 1: Back to my cabin and I got down on my knees and I said, God, I don't understand it all, and if you're there, don't I just I want to trust you, and so God, I need to know what you want to do with my life. And I prayed a prayer that night and said, God, I'm signing my name on the check. I don't even know what the amount is, but I'm saying to you, I'm yours, and I'm going to serve you the rest of your life, and I'm going to fulfill the calling you have for me. And I prayed that prayer, and as soon as I finished praying that praier, do you want to know what's happened?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 1: No angels came down and flapped their wings. There's no blinding light, no thunder, no lightning. My hair didn't turn white like Charleston Heston. You know, it's like nothing happened. But that was the turning point in my life when I recognized God's write and call on my life.
Speaker 2: And from that moment on.
Speaker 1: I became by vocational, which means I would have a job in which I would put food on the table, and I would have a job in which I would pay all my bills, but I would also have a calling, and my career and my calling might match sometimes but might not match other times, because my calling was from God and the career was just how I was making a living at that point. Career makes a living, calling makes a life. And so from that point on, I was by vocational the rest of my life, and I did a number of different jobs even though I had this call on my life. At one point, I was a dishwasher. At one point, I was a cook. At one point, I was a lifeguard for three years. At one point I worked in a butcher shop that was.
Speaker 2: A whole lot of fun.
Speaker 1: At one point, I picked fruit, I picked the grapes, and I picked pairs. At one point, I was an editor of a magazine. Another point, I taught college. I actually taught college. One point, I was a youth pastor, and then for the last thirty years I've been a pastor. My job has changed many, many, many times, but my calling has never changed. Regardless of what my job was, you have a calling that is unique to your life. The Bible says in Ephesians two ten, for we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works. In other words, were made for a purpose to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do. Now, this verse is filled with some important truth, so let's look at it. Versus says, we're God's workmanship.
Speaker 2: Circle.
Speaker 1: That word, the word there in the Bible, in the Greek is the word poem. It's the word we get poem from. You are God's poem. You are God's work of art. You are God's craftsmanship, workmanship. Many translations of the Bible translate this. You are God's masterpiece. He said, well, I don't think I'm much of a masterpiece. Well, then you don't realize how much value God has put in your life. He said, well, I'm not a masterpiece. I'm pretty beat up piece of junk. You're not junk. Jesus didn't die for junk. If you look at Jesus on the cross, arms outstretched and his nail pierced hands, and he's saying, this is how valuable you are. This is how valuable I'm You're valuable enough to die for. You're not junk because God doesn't create junk. Jesus doesn't die for junk, and the Holy Spirit doesn't live in junk. You are a masterpiece. You're God's masterpiece. But it only shows when you fulfill your calling. If you try to be what somebody else wants you to be, you're going to miss it and your your true greatness won't come out. You are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works. Those good works are your contribution to the world. You were not put on this planet just to breathe and take up space and die. You weren't put here to simply be a consumer. Oh there's a new kind of makeup, I think I'll get that. Oh there's a new clothing, I'll get that. No, you were put here to be a contributor, to make a contribution with your life, and the Bible calls your life contribution, your good works. It's part of your calling. And here's the cool thing. We all have different good works. Your contribution, your good works are going to be different than my contribution. My good works and my contribution good works are going to be different than the person sitting next to you.
Speaker 2: And God makes us.
Speaker 1: All different, gives us all different callings so that everything in the world gets done.
Speaker 2: It's all a part of it.
Speaker 1: God workmanship created to make a contribution, which God prepared in advance. Circle That prepared in advance for us to do. That means a long time before you thought of it. God had thought of your calling. In fact, here's the third principle, Number three. God chose my calling before I was born. You need to know that as we get ready to go in to live your calling the next six weeks. My calling is a gift from God. I'm called for God's purpose, not mine, and my calling was before I was born. God chose it. Let me show you some verses on this. Galatians chapter one, verse fifteen. Paul says, it pleased God in his kindness to choose me and call me even before I was born. What undeserved mercy. Here's another example, Jeremiah. Jeremiah chapter one, verse five before I shaped you in the womb.
Speaker 2: I knew all.
Speaker 1: About you, before you saw the light of day. I had holy plans for you. God called you before you were even born, and the Bible says God uniquely shaped you. You are a custom made baby, Isaiah forty four, Verse two. I am your creator. You were in my care even before you were born. Now, this is going to be our memory verse this week, so I want you to look at it in detail. It says three things. First, it says I am your creator.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: It means you're not an accident. You were uniquely chosen, created and called by God. He said, why is it important for me to not think I'm an accident? Because if you think you're an accident, you're going to live like it, and you're going to accidentally just kind of go through life without any purpose, without any direction. You're not an accident. I am your creator. You're not an accident. You in my care. That means you're deeply loved. You were in God's care when you were in the womb, he says, even while you were growing inside your mother. You realize this is why abortion is wrong, because that's not a fetus in that mother. That's a baby that God has already numbered that baby's days. Chose that baby to be born. Accidental parents, yes, accidental babies. No. God chose to create and call you before you're even born. So you weren't a fetus before you were born. You were a baby already chosen, already called, and already created by God for a purpose and a calling. And then it says you were in my care before I was even born. God plans you before you're born. Now, I want you to memorize this verse because it will encourage you on days you feel discouraged, when you feel like your life's an accident. It's not when you feel nobody cares. God does when you feel like your life doesn't have a purpose. God plans you before you were born. Hi, everybody, this is pastor Rick. I would like to thank you. Thank you for being a part of our daily hope family. I don't get to say that often enough, but your generosity is helping us share the hope of Jesus with people here at home.
Speaker 2: And literally all around the world, even.
Speaker 1: In places where it's difficult and even dangerous to get the good news.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I recently heard from a woman named Eunice in Cameroon. Cameroon is a country in Central Africa, and she wrote to me. She said, Pastor Rick, I lost both my son and my daughter in the war, and now I'm raising four grandchildren on my own. I was overwhelmed with grief. But then she says, through the daily hope devotionals, I have found strength and comfort.
Speaker 2: And peace in God's word.
Speaker 1: So thank you for helping me hold on to hope.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: That's powerful.
Speaker 1: That's powerful, and that happened because your giving is helping Eunus find the strength to carry on, to raise her grandchildren and to keep trusting God even through the deep loss of her kids. Now, right now, I want to tell you about this because we have a special opportunity. There's some generous friends who have offered a matching grant that will double your gift. What that means is whatever you give will be doubled. Okay, they'll match it. That means whatever you give today will go twice as far to reach even more people with God's word. So can I ask you a favor. I want to encourage you and give your best gift you can today. But together, let's keep bringing the hope of Jesus Christ, to people like Unus, and to the billions of other people who still need to hear. There are still people who've never heard.
Speaker 2: The name of Jesus.
Speaker 1: We want to keep expanding to get the message to the whole world, and I am so grateful that we are in this mission together.
Speaker 2: God bless you.
Speaker 3: When you give a gift today, your gift will be doubled by the matching grant up to one hundred thousand dollars, and we'll send you the purpose driven Life to say thanks.