Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to Game Spawn After Dark, episode two hundred and fifty seven. I got the number right this time.
Speaker 2: Then last time I always questioned the numbers, and then this time that time the one time I was like, what is this number?
Speaker 3: And then it was it was wrong.
Speaker 1: This is a podcast where you talk about video games.
Speaker 4: Helloup Kurt.
Speaker 1: Sometimes maybe we'll see Kurt. You did you did say off the top of that. Even watching eighties Copola movies.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a what a what a what aoo? Podcast about any games? And now we're talking about Francis Ford Coppola. It's true. I think Franceford Coppola was absolutely as the kids say, cooking in the eighties. What brought this on? Be watching eighties Copla films?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Megalopolis?
Speaker 3: Well, actually, I don't know if it was entirely Megapolis. I started this. Who was it?
Speaker 4: We went to Cafe Zo trop we walked by it.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know if that was I think just Copa, eggs, COVID. Let me keep trying, let me keep you go ahead.
Speaker 5: Uh you he came to you in a dream and told you to bring an out suit into the office and dress people up in it.
Speaker 4: Yep, and then that is why you started watching.
Speaker 3: It came to me in a dream. He had an elf suit. Coppola told me to bring it in Rest in peace, Davile.
Speaker 1: Can I get a Can I get a quick It's Friday once again?
Speaker 3: Can you believe it? It is Friday once again? Hell yeah, that was great, thank you. Let's end the episode here. It's all, oh god, tragic.
Speaker 2: Anyways, So Copola, no, I think I saw.
Speaker 3: I think Rumblefish.
Speaker 2: Came up on my radar somehow, and I kind of was like surprised.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I know what it is.
Speaker 3: So I don't like I was.
Speaker 2: I've been watching Pluto TV streaming because I don't have the patience to try and find things on my own and I don't want to take.
Speaker 1: Any What do they have on Pluto TV?
Speaker 2: Everything that's usually twenty years old or forty years old? So you can watch constant reruns of Colombo?
Speaker 5: Is there a schedule for it, like you have a schedule, like, okay, this is when Columbo comes on?
Speaker 3: Well, actually Columbo just is on all day.
Speaker 1: They have a Columbo channel.
Speaker 2: Yes, it just turned into that, like multiple channels, and yes, murder she wrote, channel outer Limits, Twilight Zone and then there's you know, reruns of cops.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think my wife. I don't know if it was this or something similar, but my wife, like I call him when she got was all excited and she's like, I discovered we have a channel that just plays far Escape all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one of them. Yeah, that's I think that's mostly.
Speaker 1: What it was.
Speaker 2: She was like, We're gonna watch far Escape all day now, and I'm like, okay, okay. And since we live in an age and where like discovery is is uh two? Is it basically impossible due to the fact that there's so much like discoveries. Actually, I believe harder because they're paralyzed choices that it's it's just feels harder that I sometimes find that I'm discovering things by going to Pluto and just be like, what is on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And under one of the movie channels, Peggy.
Speaker 2: Sue Got Married was on and it was a clip of Nicholas Cage with a pompadora like performing on stage, and I was like, what the fuck is this? And then I looked it up and I was like, Copola made it. And then I realized that that would that's the connection. And then before, and then I realized.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, there's this movie called Rumblefish.
Speaker 2: I've never seen. I've always want to see it. I love the Outsiders and it's like a pseudo thing. Anyways, there's the there's the strand of how we got there. And so we watched Rumblefish. I loved it. My fiance was indifferent. We watched Peggy Sue Got Married. Absolutely loved it. I cannot believe we've gone this long and I have not seen Nicholas Cage's performance shocked you means to death because it is fucking absurd. And then because I was just like, what the hell else is there? I watched One from the Heart, which is Francis port Coppola's pseudo musical that apparently was does not sound that much different of a development hell as Megapolis, where it was ballooned into an extremely expensive film with an extreme vision and ended up being an absolute commercial and critical failure.
Speaker 3: But I actually I absolutely loved it. I just watched it last night.
Speaker 1: You get admire the guys tenacity, maybe like he doesn't.
Speaker 2: He seems to have a pattern of just not He went from making he's probably a producer's worst Nightmare.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Found George Lucas. So that's another thing that slap is risk for. I was just kidding.
Speaker 3: He uh.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things where you like, you watch The Godfather and then like even The Conversation and then Apocalypse and all these things, and then the eighties happened.
Speaker 3: He's just like wow, wow out and just did whatever he wanted.
Speaker 4: Eighties did that to a lot of people, me included.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Peggas Who Got Married was actually a success though, despite all of the other films he did being a failure. And there's one more than I want to watch called The Cotton Club, which is the nineteen twenties roaring film about a black musicians and jazz and.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting yeah cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there you go.
Speaker 5: I feel like I've only seen the big stuff, but same Coppola, like the Godfather movies.
Speaker 3: Ade a ton in the nineties, two.
Speaker 4: Eyes, White Shot.
Speaker 3: That's not him, No, that's Stanley co Yeah, that's Stanley Kubrack.
Speaker 1: I haven't I want to rewatch Dracula because Bram Stroker's Dracula. Yeah, because of a notes fraud too. I quite enjoyed it. And George has never seen Dracula. So I was like, I think we should watch that. I think you'd enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I've never seen it either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Iyes White shows fantastic. By the way, I watched that for the first time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I watched it for the first time about a year and a half ago. So yeah, amazing, Bram, Sure it was Dracula.
Speaker 2: Fun fact, so in that movie, they have those like really cool weird red armor suits that look like and that was the entire point. They were designed to look like muscles and human Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was. There was that woman who like, uh he hired like a like a Japanese woman to like design a lot of the costumes and that's why, like it has almost as like like a lot of his like weird designs and the hair and just like it has almost as like Japanese Asian influence to it.
Speaker 3: Well, and they look sick. But here's the fact. They were re used. The exact same suits were reused in the movie The Cell the exactly. I've never seen it, hate that movie, but the house pulled them out.
Speaker 2: J Loo put it on when she goes into the dream world, like that's the that's the uniform she wears because it's the exact same suit.
Speaker 5: It's kind of how you know, like if no one keeps it, they go to a prop house on the studio and then you anyone.
Speaker 2: Can of such a distinguished it's just such a distinguishable costume from a film that was very big A.
Speaker 3: Ill just put it in this.
Speaker 1: Do you think the people from the cell even knew what it was from.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to entertain it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I watched that movie also for the first time early or in October last year. I rented it. I paid money, and I couldn't make it all the way through and stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyways, there you go. It's like a new metal music video for the most for the most part, Oh okay, yeah, now you're selling me.
Speaker 3: When did it come out? New Metal time?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: Nice? I think two one something like that.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the new metal or new metal adjacent has no o Limp Biscuits back? Oh and the Devil May Cry Netflix good, Oh my god, just like one of those Like that's not what I expected to hear, but also what a pitch perfect choice.
Speaker 2: But even more bizarre that there's like no dialogue. It's just a music video. Oh for that song?
Speaker 1: I was talking to mass but about it because me and him big Devil May Cry fans, and we're like and he was like, he said, his coworker told him this, and I agree. It feels like they're trying to capture the spirit of like an early a m V video. And and in fact, we then googled a m V LM biscuit and found a music video that somebody made like years ago, specifically for Devil May Cry, specifically for Devil May Crime. Wow, So it was like, yeah, maybe they were just like, what if we just do that? What if we just embody the spirit of two thousands a mvs when they were at their peak. There is also when Devil May Cry was out of his peak, which is when it all makes sense.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Dante wasn't wearing like a fitted red cap shirt, yeah, and doing it all for the nookie.
Speaker 1: He would he would listen to olymp Biscuit. You would have that plan on his jukebox, so you.
Speaker 2: Can take that cookie and stick it in your ear. Those are things that somebody wrote on paper and said in the microphone and like became famous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good for them, Yeah, I know, I mean.
Speaker 2: It's it's just envy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just jealous. Yeah, just like fun. Why can't I be that stupid? Anyway, I'm really excited for that show. That's a double my cry fan.
Speaker 4: When's it supposed to come out April? Oh that's close ish?
Speaker 3: Yes, Netflix and their anime game anime.
Speaker 1: What's the guy's name? Audi Audi Shanker. He's like, it's like that he's he's the He's like the producer who likes got it green lay. He got the Castlevania green Light. He also did the Captain Laser Hawk. Uh uh, you'd be soft thing that was like really weird where they turn ray Man into like a he like shoots up a building or something. It's like, really weird. It's really weird that that guy seems weird.
Speaker 2: He's like the do you there's a famous Italian producer in the eighties, d Delarentus.
Speaker 3: I think that.
Speaker 2: Dude's name is on everything the moment you start paying attention to producer credits and in the eighties films, in like late seventies, that man's name is everywhere.
Speaker 3: So we just have him in the.
Speaker 2: Anime world now, yeah, video game anime world specific, Yes, yeah, I find that fascinating about cashing in I mean or like you know, you know, finding your way to like be like, wait, we have all these video game franchises.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that we can just turn to, like I can be the guy who does that. It's like there's that one early superhero guy who was like his producer, I forget his name. It this is like pre Marvel. His name was on everything. He was like, I'm the superhero guy and I forget his name. But like most of the movies he made were like pieces of ship.
Speaker 3: Most of them are.
Speaker 1: Yeah anyway, uh jack, yep, have you been watching any movies?
Speaker 3: Nope? No, great, I have not done Geese.
Speaker 4: What have I done?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: We went to Naxad, into your favorite bar, into my favorite bar. Drink some whiskey, sodas, some beer.
Speaker 4: Good time. I did play more Indiana Jones.
Speaker 5: Finally continuing that made it almost through Giza, still really enjoying it.
Speaker 3: I also like kind of I wish I was done with.
Speaker 5: Like I wish I had already played it and like experienced it, but I am. It is nice that it is like all patched up and it runs great and it's it's I'm having no issues.
Speaker 3: Looks great.
Speaker 4: I was cranking up the settings on my ultra wide monitor, and.
Speaker 2: It was just are you playing in the anamorphic Yeah, cinema moment, Yeah, doing that as well, and.
Speaker 3: It just it feels feels right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't downloaded. I haven't had a chance to, Like, like I turned it on, was like, yep, it's there. I'll play this later, and then like I haven't, but I need to get back to it because like, the game is real good.
Speaker 5: It's weird because I feel like I've already talked so much about it, but I guess a lot of that didn't actually end up anywhere. I guess on the podcast people didn't talk about it before. But my opinions haven't changed it all, Like as I'm going through, like i'd still like, I love the writing, I love the characters, I love the level design.
Speaker 4: The combat's a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: It is starting to get like once you figure out a pattern, it starts to gip easy ish. I mean, it depends on the situation. If you alert a ton of guards and then you're overwhelmed, be a little tougher, but you know, you see someone, you whip the weapon out of the hand, you grab it, you beat them over the head. And you kind of just do that a bunch, which I find very satisfying. But I can see how the simplicity of combat maybe it wouldn't be a turn off, but I could see some people get sick of it.
Speaker 3: There's at least a lot of expression. Though. That was like, like, it's it's one thing. I mean, sure, everyone.
Speaker 2: Can find their rhythm and their repetition of how they deal with the situation.
Speaker 3: But I have found that people still take on situations differently. Yea sure. Nonetheless, I still have not shot a gun.
Speaker 5: I picked up I have shot a gun, but because I picked up one of the German rifle or something and.
Speaker 1: That you can do that. I've never seen a game where it's like, oh I can flip it, yeah bam.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I still have not felt the what it's like to kill a man. I mean, to be honest, it's pretty satisfying. Oh sorry, in the game, it's uh no, I mean it it's fine. Like I know a lot of people said, ah, like, I think even your previews said, like aiming felt pretty clunky, did.
Speaker 3: You Yeah, I mean, I.
Speaker 5: Mean I'm playing on PC, so like by nature feels a little better, I think, But it doesn't feel terrible, but it's still very much like I shoot someone and I'm just like, yeah, I just think.
Speaker 2: I learned the worst lesson during my preview session where I shot the on ones and it just turned into fucking hell in a good way of just I was just it just did.
Speaker 3: Not feel like a pragmatic way to deal with the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm sure I could, Like, if I wanted to, I could uh lock and load and kill the Nazis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say.
Speaker 5: I also like like the balance between stealth and action too, because it maybe it's partly the character, maybe it's it's definitely how the game is designed, but like, I play stealth until I get caught, and I don't feel bad about like whipping weapons out of it and getting in a fistfight. Well like the Dishonored games I loved, but like, oh my god, I was so obsessed with that stealth score where I'd just be like, yep, reset, reset, reset, reset reset, I messed that up.
Speaker 3: I gotta do it again.
Speaker 4: I gotta do it again. And after you there'd be that graph.
Speaker 5: In Dishonored too, where it would like point different directions and if I was like not where I wanted to be.
Speaker 3: I would get frustrated.
Speaker 2: That's always, that's always because I adore those games, but there is a weird dishonored.
Speaker 3: I still felt bad if I wasn't playing at stealth.
Speaker 2: And in most cases I would go to the two extremes where it's like I'm either gonna like go far fucking guns blazing and chop the shit out of all these people, or I'm gonna stal my way out of it, and I think too, I was like fucking just destroying shit and it felt great, but I still felt like I wasn't sounds stupid, but it felt like the game. Even though you can play however you want, there's still like the intention of designing things in.
Speaker 3: Such a way that's like, well, I see how I could steal through this.
Speaker 5: I still want to even to an extent, like scoring your performance like kind of feeds into that where it's like, at least for me, I remember playing like Splinter Cell Chast three back in the day, and you get like a stealth rating and one hundred percent would be the best, and like you don't say you'd fire, yeah, you'd fire a gun at one point on accident or a silence gun and then your stealth score with tank and you wouldn't know until you finished it, and you're like, damn it, you have to do it again.
Speaker 4: I mean you wouldn't have to do it again, but I would do it again.
Speaker 5: So for me, like, I think that sort of stuff is cool, but I just don't want it unless I want it, you know, like maybe have a setting where it's like, like, don't show me any of that, just let me play the game how I want to play. And then if I'm replaying it and I want to be scored or I want to like really figure out like kind of how these different play styles interact and change, then I can.
Speaker 3: Turn that on. I think remember Splintering, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as in it's great. I know you'd claims they're making a new one.
Speaker 5: But uh, rest in peace. Sam Fisher, he did die, right, Michael Ionside?
Speaker 3: No, No, Michael Ionside didn't die. I know I'm talking about Sam Fisher. I forgot that. Michael Einside did the voice.
Speaker 4: Sam and then they replaced.
Speaker 1: But they did get him back for I think his last appearance was in wild Lands.
Speaker 3: No, I think it was one.
Speaker 4: I think it was a breakpoint or was it wild it was.
Speaker 2: And is that a great scene of him and burn notice where the helicopter.
Speaker 1: Will love that scene. I just remember being like, that's Michael iron sorry. And then it was just two seconds they dragged him out. They said, they said, here was a bottle of booze. Do come on set.
Speaker 5: I mean he's in uh, he's in Barry.
Speaker 1: I've never seen.
Speaker 5: Who's in nobody that like uh oh yeah, like John Wick, but not John Wick.
Speaker 1: I watched that movie, but I.
Speaker 2: For I remember, isn't it yeah yeah, hmmm, weird. Remember that he's the father in law. Oh okay.
Speaker 5: His voice is also in Late Night with the Devil at the beginning he does the setup or whatever.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I realized.
Speaker 5: I think I think it was him because I remember getting excited about something. And even when I get excited about.
Speaker 1: Something, how much could it costs for us to get Michael Ironside.
Speaker 5: A bottle of boots and five back and we can handshake Michael Lionside can do all of our intros, you could do our you could replace Ben there everyone.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm just gonna have quotes.
Speaker 1: Kurt smells his own farts.
Speaker 3: Hey, now that's not true. I don't care anyone who says that's not a thing I've done.
Speaker 4: In my life.
Speaker 5: Smell your own farts, or smell in my hand and then smell Yeah, he farts in his hands and smells them.
Speaker 3: Anyways.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Kurt, Hey enough, we're gonna I'm gonna hope a skip and jump over to Kurt. Hopa hopa skip and jump. Good for a new segment. I'm calling Kurt's Hogs.
Speaker 3: Really Kurts Hogs.
Speaker 1: I want you to read this.
Speaker 3: For those who are listening, I'm given I been given a envelope. This is a this is a lot of texts.
Speaker 1: Read it m HM.
Speaker 2: As reporter Sam Wilde, you must work quickly to unravel a bizarre series of disappearances involving young and beautiful people. Your investigations suddenly becomes this is the game that I played. Your investigation suddenly becomes personals. The next victim of this psychotic serial killer is Anna, your love. Sam's every move is being tracked, so he has to be extra careful, putting his journalistic talents to the test. Sam must find the maniac who kidnapped Anna and stop him before it's too late. Travel to gold Veil, manner, and scour every nook and cranny of the Grand Mansion for clues that might lead to her rescue. Use your instincts and intellect to solve devious puzzles, avoid traps, and defy the lunatic's treacherous scheme. Will you ever escape his clutches? Venture into the realm of a madman to free your beloved. Am I supposed to read this start thing?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, Venture into the.
Speaker 2: Realm of a mad man to free your beloved from captivity and Brink of Consciousness. During Gray Syndrome's Collector's addition, an incredible hidden object puzzle adventure game.
Speaker 1: Kurt tell me about Brink of Consciousness Dorrian Gray Syndrome.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad that I get the entire synops of that game. Dorian Uh. Brink of Consciousness Dorian.
Speaker 2: Gray Syndrome is the latest hidden object game that I've played, which is actually a decade or dogs.
Speaker 3: Okay, I get it. Sorry, a hidden object game.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry, sorry, I was like trying to figure out where hogs fits in.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, anyway, that's what they're called, either that or hopahs Hopah's.
Speaker 2: Hidden object game, hidden object puzzle adventure. I like hogs hog on over to this Hope hope hog We're hogging on over. Anyways, it's actually one of the probably better I feel like I've said that a couple of times. I keep playing ones that are good better examples than really bad examples. But I would say the brink of consciousness Dorian Gray syndrome is up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I saw it had an overwhelmingly positive on Steam.
Speaker 4: Really wow.
Speaker 1: There were only forty seven reviews though, but they were still all of them were positive. So I think within that, the the you know that audience seems pretty pretty pretty, I'm tell you.
Speaker 2: The one thing that should knock this down a peg is that usually these games have very limited voice acting. In this fucking game, every fucking time you enter a fucking room, someone talks this. The guy whoever's taking Sam Anna know you're Sam Wilde. Sam Wyle doesn't say shit, thank god. But the person who kidnapped Anna, he's.
Speaker 6: Like, eh, welcome to the room.
Speaker 3: He talks for like five minutes straight.
Speaker 1: He's like, I remember when I was a child.
Speaker 6: I used to play with wires and screws, and then I put together this thing.
Speaker 2: And he just doesn't shut the fuck up. So that's like the worst part. You enter a room, you can always guarantee this guy's.
Speaker 6: Like, oh, I once took a ship in the corner of this room and wrapped it up and gave it to my father as a present.
Speaker 2: It's just like like he actually said that it'd be like keep this going, but in this case, I was just he was just always just like, oh.
Speaker 6: I once I once put together they're a puzzle love of my mother. And then I folded it up and put it inside a bomb and I ate it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, fucking know anyways, So that's the one you have to click.
Speaker 4: On the the most.
Speaker 2: Guests like that's the I like writing obviously other stories and I like things. I fucking skip by every single time. Every single time this person fucking spoke, I was like, I don't want to hear your bullshit, and I went to the hidden object section of the game or something like that.
Speaker 3: But the puzzles are actually pretty good. Yeah, I don't know what else do you want to know? Anything important? Anything fun?
Speaker 1: I looked at images of the game and I just see like there's like a man hanging. Yeah, there's a really just like there's some weird so the whole going for a horror sterio killery VI.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the one thing that I found really weird was, and I don't know if this is intentional, and maybe this is a byproduct of my issue with games where everyone needs to.
Speaker 3: Be pretty, but there was like a real like kind of.
Speaker 2: I don't know, that's like sexually charge undertone of like very young boys men not boys. Maybe that's not right. Young men, young attractive men who were like kidnapped by this serial killer and then and putting them in green goop.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's Dorian Gray syndrome because he was trying to study these young men to reversus aging.
Speaker 2: Sure, he's wearing a mask, okay, oh okay, and then he tries to put you in green goop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any of.
Speaker 1: You, where would you rank this.
Speaker 2: In the list of Well, we're gonna have to start coming up with an actual list. Probably we can do that. Well, we'll start here. I mean you have to understand that I've played like fucking like three or forty.
Speaker 3: It's something stupid.
Speaker 1: This is a fresh list.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: I've actually been wanting to go back and replay True Fear for Sagan Souls because that was one of the first ones I played and it was really good, and I feel like the bar was way too high for those. But I would for now put true Fear for Sagan Souls, True fear and that doesn't that and I'm it's hard for me to do. I put like, there's two parts. Do I like, choose one or the other? Do you think is it? Do you feel like they're essential to each other kind of?
Speaker 3: But they're also Yeah, I would say, I would say the first one is.
Speaker 1: The True Fear duology.
Speaker 2: But I will say the first one is the most hitten I'm sorry, hidden object of them all, like you actually have hid an object screens. The second one is more adventure puzzle game.
Speaker 3: Fuck, I feel like I need to look through my list, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Hmm, but I get I guess, like a ballpark, like you don't have to give me a number, but just like if there was like a scale, there's there's a like where would it be?
Speaker 2: I would say Cadenza music, the one with a monkey. Yeah, that's a good that's up there.
Speaker 1: That's up there, that's high up in the I would.
Speaker 3: Say, let's just put that at two for now.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm writing all this down that's number two.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh Bullocks Enigmatis is good, but I don't think it's that good. I think that was like a point for the genre and the twenty tens. I'll just put down Dorian Gray's Syndrome is number three for now. I guess, like yeah, I mean, I'm gonna have to lift through my list.
Speaker 1: That's crazy because you told me you thought the other Brinker Consciousness game was better.
Speaker 2: I think it's a actually well written.
Speaker 1: Game, okay, but I don't know if I like it more.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, Like I think it's like so where the first we're I think the product it's like a good example of where you could what you could do with the genre if you actually had money and paid actors and had writing, because most of these games barely fucking have any actual dialogue in them, and in most cases it's just to push you along to the next thing. But this one actually had like the ability to click on characters multiple times, and they just had a never ending amount of shit to say.
Speaker 3: That was very impressed by it.
Speaker 2: I also haven't finished it, so I don't feel oh confident in bringing them, but I do think the first one feels like a better.
Speaker 3: Entry point for a good hidden object game.
Speaker 1: Okay, hog a hog Well, there you go. That was kurtz Hogg's.
Speaker 3: Thanks. I'll have more to talk about next week next week for no one who cares.
Speaker 1: I care, Thank you, this is my podcast.
Speaker 3: I don't I know. I keep suggesting them to you, both of you.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And even I even said, I was like, hey, Drian Gray syndrome is a dollar fifty.
Speaker 3: It was. I don't know if it still is.
Speaker 1: You know it is because again I had to go to Steam earlier.
Speaker 2: Exactly so you know, I'm I do endlessly always feel like I'm talking to myself about these things. In a way, they're my little secret I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well no, because because you know, I've talked about my love of Nancy Drew. And while they're not the same Nancy Drea games are not hidden object games people keep saying they are, they're not, but they're in that same puzzle puzzle adventure. They're in that same uh space, and the puzzles and there are crossover.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think the main thing that kind of makes a Hope a sort of nonsensical is that the puzzles really don't make a lot of contextual sense in the environment it's missed. Like, even though the puzzles are missed are absurd, they fit in the context that you're in a world that is alien and made by something else.
Speaker 3: You're trying to figure out.
Speaker 1: The word you are, yeah, interacting with this device that turns on this thing, and but.
Speaker 2: These games exist in our world and the puzzles make fucking absolutely no logical.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because it's usually like, oh, do this puzzle, and then it's like, hey, congrats, you have a comb now, and then you can use the comb over there, and that gets you like a a nut.
Speaker 4: What was the game? What was the game with the monkey and the bum That was Cadenza?
Speaker 2: Yeah, where you had to where a monkey was blocking an alleyway and a monkey wouldn't let you go through unless you play the old the classic game of guess the floor de ly under the cup game. And once you beat this monkey at his own game, that's when he shuffles on over. And then you find a homeless man that has a hangover and you got to get him drug. But in order to do that, you have to cut a bottle down from a rope that's saying put.
Speaker 5: You can't just cut it down. You need to get a pillow.
Speaker 2: Before you get the pillow, you need to stuff a pillow case with cotton that is apparently help cleaning up.
Speaker 3: The oil of a car tire change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyways, yeah, and then you get the drugs you find on the in someone's bag, and then you mix it with water and then you give to the homeless man.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, thank you, here's the key, he's to the club. Anyways, that's just a normal puzzle one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that seems very standard, amazing, so get on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, play one. I will True Fear for Saken Souls Part one.
Speaker 1: I know, because you said it's if that one's too good. I don't want to have that same.
Speaker 3: I want to play the best one and then not play anymore.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I want if I'm going to even know at this point, that's what I'm saying. I don't even know at this point of True Fear is the best one. It's just the first one I played that was good, got legitimately good.
Speaker 3: I should probably go back.
Speaker 2: And see if it holds up now that I've played a dozen and see you'll see what if my opinion has changed of it.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Then there's like, I guess stop talking about these, because I started remembering the wedding one that I played. It was a wedding one, Vegas wedding one where you got it where you go to Vegas and you helpe something plan their wedding and it's just a series.
Speaker 1: And then and then you were in the game for some reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to be in.
Speaker 5: It turned out you're like, and that's me at the and every time you cast the spell.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, fiance, fiance. You can't talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something I can talk about Eternal Strands?
Speaker 3: Is that a strand game? Good game?
Speaker 4: A game?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm no, because Norman Reeves isn't in it, so you should be though. Norman's pedis Norman's petus.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Eternal Strands is a new game by get the studio name, but they're like an up and coming studio. Mike Laylaw, who you might know as UH worked at Bywear on the Dragon Age series. UH is kind of like heading up the project. It's it's a budget game that is definitely like I would say, kind of like punching above its weight. It feels like where it's like it's a game that to me, you can like it simultaneously looks like gorgeous and beautiful, but also you can like see the limitations of it, like, oh, it's kind of like a budget game. It is a game that I guess should back up and say what kind of game it is. So it's it's basically a action adventure game where you go into these sort of little spaces that are it's not like full open world, like each each part of the world is kind of segmented. So I would say it's more like these little monster hunter style like kind of hub areas where you're finding monsters and and you do quests and then you go back to like your camp where like all your allies are and that's where you do your crafting and whatnot. But what makes the game unique is that it has all of these like powers that you could use that you can like manipulate the world in and very zelda e. I would say, so it's specifically Breath of the Wild, right, so like, oh, you like have fire and you can like like grass on fire, or you know, you have like ice powers and you can like freeze enemies in place and like do stuff like that. This is a weird one for me. I played the opening like section of the game for thirty minutes and I did not like it at all. I thought the the movement felt floating off, the combat felt really like weak, like none, like none of the hits felt good and and and the powers were like cool but kind of sloppy. And I was just like, I'm not I'm not feeling the gameplay. I whatever they're saying for like like, I'm sure sure the writing is. I think that the individual dialogue writing is good, like the characters are are are well written, but like when it comes to the exposition of the world, I was like, I do not give a shit what they are saying at all. Like I was just like, I don't really care what's happening in this universe. This is not compelling to me. And then on top of that, while it is good looking, I would say it also kind of has that sort of I don't know, like kind of a clean anime Dungeons and Dragons. The art style, I don't even know how to describe that art style, but it's like you've seen it before and you're like, oh, yeah, like.
Speaker 3: That looks like Immortals, Phoenix Rising yes, it.
Speaker 1: Kind of looks like that. It has that sort of like modern clean D and D kind of look that is like again well made, but it's just like it's not really like for me exactly, so I wasn't. I was like, man, I don't know if this game's my thing, but I kept playing it, and slowly it did start to win me over with the like mechanics as I started to kind of like see what it was trying to do, and I think like the big thing that was like, oh, okay, this is interesting is there is an early boss fight against this giant like Colossal. Uh I don't know. It's like a like mechanical like giant, and you have to like climate shadow the cost style and like wail on it. And I was like, okay, that's cool. But the part that made it really cool was realizing, oh, I can use my ice powers to freeze its legs and like lock it in place, or I can use there's this ability where you get this little like gravity well that you can like it'll like suck things in and then when you like hit the button, it'll like detonate and explode and like send everything flying out. You can jump over that and then detonate it and launch yourself and like get on to the to the beast or like I thought a dragon and I would like freeze its wings and would like cause the dragon to like fall out of the air and crash. And I was like, Okay, this is like really cool, Like I'm there are things I can do to manipulate the world that are like actually like really fun and like interesting. I still struggle with, like I still don't care about the story. It's fine. I'm pretty much skipping most of the dialogue. It's just like it's just it's just but it's just not for me. Yes, Well, and what was his role in Dragon Age? Yeah, uh, I forget what his role was on one, but I believe he was like the creative director of two. Okay, so and I'm and I'm not one hundred percent sure like what his exact role is in this game. I just like his name's kind of the big name like attached to it. I think the story is fine, It's it's very it's kind of that like like, uh, all the characters are just sort of I wouldn't say it's frictionless in terms of like, uh conflict, because there are definitely like personality conflicts where it's like, oh, you know, like I'm I'm angry at you about this, or like, you know, our personalities are clashing, but it's still kind of had. It's it's very light on that in that it's still mostly like everyone here for the most part like gets along, and it's like that kind of I don't know, more typical. You see it a lot where it's like it's a D and D game where where the party for the most part gets along with each other and they're not you know, like there's not friction with it.
Speaker 2: There is there any sort of does it fill any void for a Dragon Age like player at all?
Speaker 1: Or I would say no because it's a very different kind of game. Yeah, that's the thing. Like it's I wouldn't say if you were like, oh, Dragon Age, you should play this, because it's not the same kind of game at all. It does have like dialogue choices, for example, but the dialogue choices are just you picking kind of what you want to say response, but it doesn't actually affect anything. And the game says that upfront, like the game is not trying to like trick you, like it says like, hey, the dialogue is just for you to like, you know, have a little agency in conversations. This doesn't actually change anything. It's just for you to, you know, sure, have your own input, which is fine, Like there's nothing wrong with that, but it's it's it's not that kind of game. It is a like I'm going to run around in this space and kind of use these powers in these abilities and explore and mess with stuff. And I do find the exploration fun. However, I will say there is also a crafting gathering system for the armor. I don't mind the crafting aspect because I actually think it's like fairly intuitive, where you basically you just make like a couple sets of armor, and you can change those sets to affect the different elements. So you could be like, oh, for example, you'll find an area early on where this entire town is like frozen over an ice, and if you try and go in there, you'll like die from the cold. So you can one of the things you can do is you can increase your you can take your armor set and you can increase it so that you'll give have more like ice resistance or something. So I like that. It like isn't just like throwing like endless amounts of armor and weapons. It does feel like you pick up one thing and you kind of can like craft it and tweak it and like over time to like be what you want. What I don't like is that the amount of materials you can hold are limited, and very quickly you will fill up your inventory and then you just can't pick up anything more. And so I constantly feel like I either like have to drop something so that I can pick up new stuff, or I have to go back and too like dump it in my chest and then go back out into the world. And so for me, it really like halts the flow of the game where I'm like, I just want to keep running around and exploring, but I know I'm supposed to be picking up these crafting materials because they're going to increase my armor. But every like five minutes, my my like backpack fills up and then and then I'm like, I did, oh, I got I got a couple more slots, and even then I like immediately filled it up, and I was like, uh, like, I just like I get that they maybe if they give you like unlimited space, you would it would just like break the economy of that game where you just fill it up. But I don't like a game where it is constantly like roadblocking my ability to want to play the game. And like, I mean technically it's like, well you could just like not worry about it, where you could be like more deliberate in what you pick up. But like I don't know, the games like encourages you to pick up these crafting materials and then also says like but then you're full and you have to leave, and so like I don't like games, I do that. I find it really frustrating. And and so I mean in that way, is it just like an extraction game? I mean, well, no, I don't about games, but an extraction game, contraction.
Speaker 3: Anything, No, I mean I played well no, No.
Speaker 1: An instruction game would be like, oh, you're going into an area to get like a specific amount of loot and then leave.
Speaker 2: But this game is like asking you to go pick up stuff but then not have enough space to hold this.
Speaker 1: It's more because it's just like crafting material kind of stuff. But it's just like I wish there were just more crafting slots, got it that I could just hold What.
Speaker 3: Is the main motivation of this game anyways?
Speaker 1: Main motivation yeah, what are you doing? I mean, so you're trying to Oh god, the story I don't remember that you're you're a band of weavers who are these like magic people who are ostracized by society because something happened, and you've entered this like realm where like there's like magic around it that like no one can enter because they'll die. And you've like managed to like enter this space that's like been abandoned for like centuries or something like that, and now you can, like you're like trying to like discover the lost secrets of this like ancient civilization. So your goal is to just kind of like go through It's it. Like I said, it's fine. It's just like it's not doing much for me.
Speaker 3: And and going.
Speaker 2: From not liking it digging its systems, digging its systems and enjoying you know, like oh okay, Like once I kind of got used to the combat and and and like.
Speaker 1: Kind of like understood why it was floaty, because it's like, oh, it's floaty because the way like all these weird systems kind of interact with each other, and it can feel it still doesn't feel like perfect, but I'm like I understand why it feels this way, And now that I'm like I can, I can appreciate what it's trying to do, and I can appreciate the systems and the mechanics, and I get fun out of that. But then I still am like, well, I still don't really care about the story, and I'm hitting the roadblock with the crafting stuff. So it's a weird recommendation where I think, would you recommend it to Jake? I would not recommend it to Jake, okay, and I wouldn't recommend it to you either. I think both of you would absolutely not, But you.
Speaker 3: Recommend it to Max. Seems like it might be a Max I.
Speaker 1: Am Actually I was kind of curious if if like Max would be able to because.
Speaker 3: Do the Max shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for context, Max has like done all of our Breath of the Wild videos and twos of the Kingdom videos, and like knows how to manipulate those systems and break games, and I would like to see if Max could do anything weird with it. I get the feeling it wouldn't be as crazy as what Breath of the Wild could make you do, but you could probably still do some interesting.
Speaker 2: I see Max breaks shit, So I think that would be up from Max in the back cool.
Speaker 3: And I think if you're.
Speaker 1: Somebody who likes sort of that you know, fantasy D and D kind of like I don't know, it's just like, hey, here's magic shit, and there's like interesting characters and but you know, like it's it's there's conflict, but it's not too much conflict, Like I don't know, Like if you're into that kind of vibe, you'd probably like dig it, But for me, it's just like kids, it's okay, I don't know. But it's also like a small budget game from a new studio, and I obviously wish them the best. Like it's like I think it's like a cool it's like a cool first attempt at a game from like a new studio, but it just like has things about it that are not quite for me. So I don't think I'm gonna play much more of it. Unfortunately, I don't really feel super compelled. But I have heard other people really dig it and recommend it, So if it if that speaks to you, if the things that like I said it all sound like your jam, like you'd probably like it.
Speaker 2: If there was if there was a dead body, and if there was a mystery, you know, maybe I would be maybe i'd be inclined, Yeah, like a thing that doesn't make sense, but it sounds like it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Right if there are like some boys in some goop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if there was some young.
Speaker 2: Men in green goop and an annoying man in a mask who's always interrupting me, you'd be more into it.
Speaker 3: Then I would maybe consider it. Okay, But you can also freeze dragon wings and they I mean, that's cool, that's cool.
Speaker 2: But I want, you know, like I need that's you know, I need a mystery, not like a like literal in the literal sense. I doesn't need a question to be they won't want to explore, not just like, well, we're a bunch of magic people who exposed ourselves to the public and were being cast it out for some reason. They probably did something really fucked up, And if there was a review on the end that's like and they were cannibals or you know something, and that's why they got kicked out of town, then maybe I would actually, you know, be like.
Speaker 3: Oh wait.
Speaker 1: There anyway, Yeah, that's Arnal strands cool.
Speaker 3: Not a strand game.
Speaker 1: Not a strand game. Sorry, you'll have to. You'll have to keep looking for that. Is there any other game that does actually count as a strand game?
Speaker 5: Was it? I feel like there was a game that came out a couple of years ago that was This is the closest thing to a strand game that we've had since Death Stranding, But I don't remember what it was, so that doesn't help anyone at all.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad created a genre that only he fucking touched.
Speaker 4: I don't remember what it was.
Speaker 1: Did he even really create a genre?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: He did not.
Speaker 1: I mean I like that game, and I like that. I think it's like a cool game, like the mechanics of like it's like it is unique. I think is it a new genre?
Speaker 6: Also?
Speaker 1: Genres are kind of stupid anyway.
Speaker 5: But I think my thing is like the interactivity with other players and how it's used is cool.
Speaker 4: However, not to be that guy, but like.
Speaker 5: Art Souls and demon that way, and I know it was like much like flatter than that, where it's like here's a note, here's a summ in like asynchronous support other players or mess up other people.
Speaker 1: But also you can you can join clans and like have people summon you. So I would argue, like the Frum software games are absolutely strand games by like the definition of like you know, connecting people both through like messages and like direct input.
Speaker 5: Miyazaki did it first. Yeah, I mean that's how I feel. I'm excited for Desk Training too, though, and I like death Straining one. It took me a while to really get on board for desk.
Speaker 3: Training because it's the strand game. How do we get you did?
Speaker 5: And this is your fight nocause you're right, we can stop. I'll take it all back. Wait, did you see I think it was that story that came out that GMA was like, I don't know if I can make another game.
Speaker 4: I'm tired of crunching.
Speaker 3: Well, then don't don't crunch I mean, well, I don't make games. What do I know?
Speaker 2: It's your own studio, but stop fucking having people take pictures of you sitting with like a bucket over your head and being like Kojima.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, maybe maybe this would be the last Kajima game, but then I remembered he's already announced like four other projects, so I think there'll be similar.
Speaker 3: I think that's just.
Speaker 4: A brand.
Speaker 1: I think he'll be one of those. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I see he's going to retire in the comeback like Daniel day Lewis where he's like I'm done.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, just kidding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he can't not make stuff well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he has to tell you that he made. He's like I created life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I I think he'd be content.
Speaker 5: The stuff he makes is just photos of him with celebrities, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and him just looking at a croissant. Maybe not, Maybe I'm wrong, but yeah.
Speaker 5: You know Kojima today, did you know Meddle your solid to predicted memes.
Speaker 2: Because they used the word memes. Yeah, that was already a pre existing word.
Speaker 5: I feel like that's the thing I saw a lot. I'm just saying because he says memes in it, and you're like.
Speaker 3: You know what I gotta say about No, I'm going to move on. Uh No, I was.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: Talking about Eternal Strands and looking at that game and sort of this sort of blanket sort of identity that games have adapted over the last ten years, where it's just like the most inoffensive thing to look at, and it's kind of like an epidemic of games I just look inoffensive. And I think Dragon Age, the most recent dragon Age game, is one of those examples of just a game that's just.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, that's maybe it looks like the best possible graphics. Yeah, it's like we poured a lot of money into making sure all these characters.
Speaker 2: And not too And I had this feeling when I regretfully watched the Game Awards, the last game of Awards. I had this feeling when I was watching just a game reveal after game reveal after game reveal, and the one thing that stood out to me is there was only two settings for the fucking eight hundred games we saw. It was either science fiction or fantasy. Sure, and that was it. That was it, even split fiction, that game that does look cool literally science fiction, literally science fiction. And it was like it was like that to me was emblematic of what the issue about to talk about, which is I am so And I actually kind of learnt this last week when I was talking about like the death of the Spectacle and like with Doom, I am so. It's weird to say how fucking bored I am of looking at a fantasy fucking setting and a science fiction setting. And that's ironic because the entire point of what games are is escapism from reality. But it's been so fucking overdone to the point where like it doesn't seem remotely special to me anymore. And it bums me out because I look at a game the control strands that mechanically and systems sounds interesting, but I just see it. I'm like, I have seen this before because to the degree where I almost wish it's weird to think how hard it is to find games like good budgeted, high budget games that take place in our reality.
Speaker 3: It's fucking weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean I agree definitely, Like yeah, like we don't have games that like are modern unless they're like military games, Like that's kind of it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, that's the exception.
Speaker 1: But with the fan to see stuff, it's interesting because I also think, like it's not just it's fantasy, it's they're picking the most generic boiler plate and it's like sure, like we don't have elves, we have walrisk guy, but like it's still like at its core, you know, hold, there's there's a wall guy and.
Speaker 4: Is he cool?
Speaker 1: No, he's kind of MOPy. He's he's like a scaredy cat. He's like a big but.
Speaker 3: He's like I've never seen that archetype. He's just like I don't know about these guys.
Speaker 1: And you're like, fuck up, whatever does he have a lisp?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, well you know, because its teeth whatever, now he maybe you should okay.
Speaker 1: But but like you could, you can also have a fantasy setting that's like interesting.
Speaker 3: Announce that there aren't good ones.
Speaker 4: It's just weird.
Speaker 2: It's just weird to see just like game after game after game, and then one way or another, it just like starts to bleed in and even and I feel the same way with like, you know, soul genre too, where it's like it just all kind of works, just like fuck, you could tell where a fucking Soul's game.
Speaker 3: I mean, you look like fantasy.
Speaker 1: But it's like how many games are there with Person with Samurai Sword coming out?
Speaker 3: Too many?
Speaker 2: Like like, oh, it's Person with Sword and then we have Person with Sword and yeah, I mean we did have an era of just like you know, I mean we still have it, but like the era of just a guy with guns.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love science fiction fantasy, like I really enjoy that. But for me, it's always been like what's the take on it, though, and like if if there's not, if it doesn't do something interesting both visually and thematically and story wise or set up wise, I guess mystery, you know, like just not really that interested.
Speaker 4: I I when I same thing.
Speaker 5: I saw Internal Eternal Strands and I was like, oh, it's cool, Mike Laidlaw is doing this. But this looks like every other mobile fantasy game I've seen before, and it'd be fair.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's always been a problem, not video games, it's just in like media in general. I feel like to your point, though, it's like that is like the current like hot thing in games. So like because before it was like military shooters were hot things. Everything looked like pouring brown, you know, like we're gonna look like Gears of War, We're gonna look like Call of Duty. And now it's like everything's gonna look like a from software game. Everything is gonna look like I I will say, I think current fantasy. I prefer it looks at least nicer than the like Wow, League of Legends era. I hate that part.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 3: I liked it at the time when it existed, but that art style.
Speaker 2: But but that's the thing that's been.
Speaker 1: For me, Like all those like mobile games like that were just like everything that's the legend. Yes, the Blizzard, Yes, it was like, oh I'm so sick of the way all this ship looks.
Speaker 3: But not to bring it back.
Speaker 2: But I will actually defend that Dust Training is one of those games that like look different that had it. It's a very distinct visual idea. I agree and like, and it felt tangible and real. Yes, so dest Randing does I would. I mean, you know we've talked a lot about like Remedies games. Well that's a game that takes place in a world of reality but then also able.
Speaker 1: To I've been rely playing because I've never finished it.
Speaker 2: Disco Elysium that game that's finished that you know, I know I've never finished. I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I'm really exciting when I get there.
Speaker 1: Well we'll i'll report. But like that's the setting where they are, I mean the art, but also just the world building and just like you're living in this like place that is just like destroyed and a piece. Also like there's so much like culture and history and like I remember, I think there's there's like this old man, the two old men who are like playing game shot but did you did you do that?
Speaker 2: Yep, just throw it into the Yeah, oh my god, incredible. But then like the guy and like the the aren't he's like in the old like military you know, outfit, and he's just rambling about you know, like the war and and and it was like fascinating because they're just adding all this like context and and and world building in a way that like one doesn't feel like you're just expositioning at me necessarily because it's like I'm listening to this old man like ramble in a way that like it's like, Yep, this is absolutely what would happen if I interacted with this man in real life. But also I'm like learning all these interesting things about like the the like multiple revolutions.
Speaker 1: That this city has had, and the and it's it's contact with other nearby neighboring places and and like just and we're about one of the best. You're like so good.
Speaker 2: We're about to see like ten fucking games that look like de say Ewezium since everyone left that.
Speaker 3: Studio and is not making their own spiritual successor.
Speaker 1: Least, and I think we'll have the same issue where it's like will any of them like understand or will they just replicate it? And you're like like, eh, you're not.
Speaker 4: You got the sauce.
Speaker 2: So when those games exist, you just gotta But yeah, that's just my little rant.
Speaker 3: It's just something on it. And I realized I feel the same.
Speaker 5: I mean, like, yeah, watching the Game Awards, watching a lot of this stuff, it's like, okay, cool, Like I feel like I've seen this before. But yeah, I mean, like I said, for me, it's like like I think, like I feel like sometimes they don't even.
Speaker 4: Try that hard.
Speaker 5: Like that sounds bad, but like I think of Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven, which was very successful, and like that was like there weren't really any cyberpunk games in video games, yeah, and it was incredibly successful. It felt fresh stylistically in a way that we hadn't seen, and it was like at.
Speaker 2: Least in video games. In video I just like if you're read to William gibbson novel, you do realize.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I'm saying in video game specifically, Like that's what I'm trying to say is like sometimes you don't have to look very far to find inspiration that hasn't been done in video games that could make for an interesting setting, and a lot of times it's just like, you know, we've got the dwarves and the dragons and like formula, let's make it look.
Speaker 3: Like blizards will be very colorful and a little bit cartoony.
Speaker 2: People will confuse it on the mobile story, they'll buy the wrong game, or like, if we make.
Speaker 4: It simple, everyone will be able to play.
Speaker 1: It's like I was talking about this with Michael Hyam the other day, where Michael Hyam has been talking about he's been reading more like books and watching shows specifically because he's like, you know, so like consuming games and then realizing like I kind of want to go back to the source of like what the song games were actually inspired by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you realize how much, Yeah, so how like little actual things are right.
Speaker 3: Genuinely original coming out of games. It's kind of.
Speaker 1: Sucks, sure, but but but even yeah, And I think the part of the issue is like games copying other games as opposed to like searching for source of material elsewhere. It's like you kind of just like you look at what the other competition to do, and it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of like I think that, Yeah, I think it's also a byproduct of games not usually being a singular vision. Like I think that's when you get books and movies and scripts that come from a single mind and a single vision, and then everything supports that.
Speaker 3: Like I'm not saying that's not the case in games, it's just.
Speaker 4: Much harder to do.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't feel like that's the case, is all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean with like big studios and like it's that's you know, you have budgets and you have shareholders and.
Speaker 3: I mean douche bags, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, like I think the examples we should, right, Like Kajima, it's like stay a little but that guy, that dude is like he's going to have a vision. He's going to make that happen.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's not just him, but like he's definitely like the driving force behind it.
Speaker 3: I think Phantasmic Goria is one of the fucking dust games ever.
Speaker 1: Made, right you know, And like because say Remedy is a similar way, right you know again, like Sam Blake definitely creative director puts his stank on it. Tim Schaeffer, I think that's like that's where you find kind of the more interesting, Like I you know, I think I just I find myself gravitating more to games like that, and I'm less interested in games that are just like It's why I don't care about like Marvel Rivals, because I look at it and I go, that is a well made.
Speaker 5: That's like everyone's trying to get friends trying to play, and I'm like, nope, it's not somebody you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's a well made game. And maybe if I was just interested in playing with friends and I think a fun time, like, maybe i'd play it. And and and this is not to like poo poo. Anyone who like likes that game like it. Again, it looks like a well made game, and I get why people play it. For me, it's like, I don't know, like it's yeah, it's like a well made Overwatch clone with Marvel. It has nothing that speaks to me on like any level that I'm just interested in doing, so I don't know. It's weird. Yeah, But then I open up my phone every day and I crack open my card packs. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I keep going on a schedules.
Speaker 1: You crack card packs, cracking, cracking packs, Pokemon trading card game, O, the little you like.
Speaker 3: Do Jean Luke and I are cracks.
Speaker 1: Have you never heard that term cracking packs?
Speaker 3: I'm a no, who do you think I am?
Speaker 5: You're gonna put together a little Excel spreadsheet where you can figure out all of our trades?
Speaker 2: Is that true? We are because they opened up trading Max back there? Are you doing this good?
Speaker 5: Well, he's played thousands of hours of gensins, so you know you can't really talk.
Speaker 2: Climbing climbing, Lisa. Everyone's got their one climbing Lisa.
Speaker 3: Speaking of.
Speaker 1: I uninstalled Destiny, I think I'm like finally done. And and the day I uninstalled it was the day they did like the big new like update.
Speaker 3: Was it intentional that you did it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I mean like with the update, No, I just happen to time it with that, which is funny enough because like I forgot the update was even first second?
Speaker 3: Did you think about reinstalling it to do it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, No, So what it was is like I forgot earlier that day, I like saw the update happen, and I said, oh right, I forgot that was the thing.
Speaker 1: And I was like I was excited for that. Do I care? And I'm like, no, I don't care. I even like looked up because I was like, I didn't play the last one. Did people did people like that last update? I looked it up and everyone's like it was pretty mad. The story was bad. They seem to be kind of like on the decline. And I was like, okay, I didn't miss anything. And then and then I was like all right, whatever. And then the reason I installed is because like I went to my computer to installed a different game, and it was like, hey, you need to fill up some space, and I was like, what's taking up a bunch of space? Destiny's taken up one hundred and twenty plus gigs on my computer, and I said.
Speaker 3: So long.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm gonna turn this on anymore.
Speaker 2: So I uninstalled it. I think that is it for me. Wow, I think I'm over it. That's okay, No, it is okay. And I actually feel I fill that Pia set with me, especially because the last thing I played with it was a really good expansion that like concluded a storyline, so like to me, it's like that's it, Yes, that's where it stopped.
Speaker 1: It's fine. I don't need to play anymore. I feel good about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah you should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and It's interesting because I've had people when I say that, people have said to me like, oh, what's the next thing that's gonna like replace that.
Speaker 4: Heroin?
Speaker 1: And it was like, I don't have Like I don't, I don't know, I'm not I don't cracking packs cracking, that's what it is. But I don't need that. I don't need like a like a I'm like, well no, no, like Destiny was that game. I don't need a replacement for it. I want something different. So like that's why when everyone's like, oh, this game, it's like Destiny, if Dusty's going down, he'll play this instead, I'm like, I don't care. It's like, I don't.
Speaker 3: What are people suggesting the play instead?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Are you playing Path of Eggs?
Speaker 1: But that's like a different game.
Speaker 5: Okay, but that's that's not like I don't know, Oh it is enough about it is not like a seasonal sort of situation, not yet, or it is.
Speaker 1: And I'm I think that game will be like forever Live Service game like the first one was. But I guarantee you I'm going to play that game. I'm going to like beat the campaign and then I'm gonna put it down because that's all I care about. I will I the second it asks me like and now grind forever. I go, no, I'm done. Like I get to the story, I finish it. I say, wow, look at how cool my character is. We had a fun time done so long. So I did. With Diablo, I actually didn't even finish it. I just like played enough and was like, I'm good like that. That's okay with that fish.
Speaker 3: You got to finish it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, but as far as Diabolo or Destiny replacements, I don't know. There's that game First Descendant, people recommending and I was like, that looks like I thought it looked bad, and people it's great.
Speaker 3: Is that game still it's still kicking.
Speaker 1: I think it's still kicking, but apparently it's not very good. Like what good it was? The people who like you don't even like it's.
Speaker 3: Kind of falling off that fucking.
Speaker 1: But I I don't know. My point is, I don't even think there is anything that like would reasonably scratch a Destiny.
Speaker 3: But what was that? What was that one with the gear Gears of War controls?
Speaker 5: Oh can fly Outrider?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that game was weird because actually from when I played that game was not bad.
Speaker 1: No, I actually liked that game. I never finished it.
Speaker 3: Writing was fucking absolutely it.
Speaker 1: Was, and that's kind of why I love it.
Speaker 2: Was definitely like dude bro like, like it was so abrasively that that I was like, I'm god, like, this is stupid, but I kind of love it.
Speaker 1: But that game is also weird because it was a like build as a live service game, but for the most part it just had like a single player campaign and then beat and then it had like there are some activities, even grind forever, and it's like, no, I'm good.
Speaker 3: Fire up Division two, taking them back to New York.
Speaker 1: That's another one. Beat the campaign, and then it was like, all right, you want to go grind these things around? I said, no, like that's my thing.
Speaker 4: Most of the time.
Speaker 1: I just finished. I just finished the story mode and then and then I stop, and I feel satisfied.
Speaker 2: My favorite version of that sort of thing. Because I don't play life service games or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Are I'm going to bring up Resident Evil because I love Resident Evil, but like the mercenary modes are great, but specifically Resident Evil.
Speaker 5: Fuck you know that one like one, two, three or four, well six you you I do love six.
Speaker 1: Verse six No.
Speaker 2: No, it's like the mode, the never ending mode or feels never ending in Revelations Toss to Mercenaries.
Speaker 3: Did play some of this, and it's and I put.
Speaker 2: In a disgusting amount of time in it because it gets cartoonishly stupid where it's like it's Mercenaries mode where you just have to kills many things as possible.
Speaker 3: But the more you play it, the more.
Speaker 2: Like you get big mond, like the zombies get bigger and the monsters get bigger, and they have like weird moment, they have weird weaknesses that you then have to unlock and like you have to there's like an endless amount of guns you can get that you can spice up a certain way and level up your characters, and like it was actually really fun, like the last level you're fighting Kaiju sized zombies.
Speaker 3: I think I did play. Yeah, it's great. It's great.
Speaker 1: What I love about games like that, or like U Left for Dead, it's the same thing where it's like those to me, those games are so infinitely replayable, not because they were like constantly updating, like you know, live service updates, it's just because like it's just really fun to play it over and over, like and you just do it because you want to, not because there's like this like machine cranking a wheel that's like incentivizing you to which you know, like that stuff can be fine, but I think like too often a game will like rely on that rely on the wheel.
Speaker 3: It's destroying the medium to.
Speaker 1: To like prop up a gameplay that like if this wheel wasn't here, this gameplay would not be interesting enough to actually want to keep playing, you know. Like that was the one reason I did play Destiny was because like kept playing is because I like really like the way the guns fell and I was like, this is like just fun to shoot things, and that has that kept my attention or like other stuff like where they're like already you want to try this game, I'm like, I think this game feels fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think that's the biggest reason why Destiny stuck around as long as it did. I mean, I guess it's still going, but like I think it's just that tactile feel of it good. Like that's why I kept returning to it even though I didn't care about my story or anything. Is because it's like, at the end of the day, so many times it feels good at least, like, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I understand what's going on.
Speaker 5: I might not have the right loot, I may not have any of this, but like it's fun to shoot things. Pop your super like going to third person.
Speaker 2: I know, right, it's what you call it, pop in a super pop and a super Jesus, don't pop your superar me.
Speaker 4: Too late.
Speaker 3: I've been doing it this entire podcast. Did you in your hands sniff it?
Speaker 5: Uh no, I'm not gonna sniff it. Come on, don't don't sniff your souper. Everyone knows that, but I feel like so many developers kind of miss that and they're just like, well, you know, I mean, like the gameplay is fine, but then here's all these like things you can grind and chase, and it's like, I don't want to do that though.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that was our people over thirty ranting about video games yelling at clouds.
Speaker 2: Where somebody's gonna yell or the medium is going to disintegrate into fucking rowbox birthday parties or whatever the.
Speaker 3: Fuck it is that those kids do these days.
Speaker 1: You know, yes and no, I would agree, it's like it it will, and it's worth yelling about that stuff, but I always go to like I can just ignore that stuff.
Speaker 3: And yeah, of course I hope.
Speaker 2: I have absolute hope that I mean, like I'm not pessimistic or like the medium will survive. And I think it's just like where you and great things will happen as inevitable.
Speaker 1: It's just where you will where you find that stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just difficult when it's all funneled together. That's where it gets sure.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, it's it's yeah, it's like we don't have I think we kind of do, but what you know, it's like you can you have the blockbusters next to like the indie darlings in video games in a way that like I think, like a movies kind of separate a little bit more in this.
Speaker 3: Because the markets aren't the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the markets aren't the same, but video games kind of all shove them in one thing a lot of times.
Speaker 1: And and yeah, that's kind of where it can be weird and overwhelming, but oh it's cool. Just stay in your lane, play your player, hops.
Speaker 5: My my hogs, Hogs and hogs and dogs and hope is anyway that has been an episode of Game Spot After Dark.
Speaker 2: Hope you guys had a good time listening to us ramble about a many of things.
Speaker 1: Uh, Kurt, thank you for being here as always.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Jake, thank you as well.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, contractually obligated to be here. Yeah all right, everyone, thank you so much for listening, and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Be cool, A cool
Speaker 1: Bud, Budd,