Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, wasn't it great to hear from Lars. You can just tell he he loves what he's doing, and that really just comes through when you talk to him. Somebody else that loves what they do is our next pseudo surprise. We announced it what an hour or something ago. You might know him. He's a guy named Elon. Maybe you've heard of him. He's got a couple followers on this platform called X. I don't know, you know some new guy. No Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla, will be joining us virtually here momentarily and to chat with him for second or third year in a row, now, gosh, second year in a row. Please welcome back of course, John and Calvin from the Tesla Owners Club of Silicon Valley.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go have fun, guys.
Speaker 3: Man, the race horses out there all was causing a Ruckus family friendly event.
Speaker 4: Guys, crazy, what a day? What a day.
Speaker 3: So obviously, thank you so much to Lars and Steve for coming on here.
Speaker 4: And I believe we have Elon On.
Speaker 3: So it's just a matter of I feel like, you know, just bringing him on the screen and stuff.
Speaker 4: Wha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it actually kind of looks like Mars in some ways.
Speaker 2: Perseverance Is that a cap right there too, it's a posseverance rover on Mars.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, first off, Elon, thanks for coming to the X takeover formerly a test Let's take over for the second year in a row.
Speaker 2: Hi, welcome.
Speaker 3: Well let's let's kick things off. Let's start off, start off with you know, really your baby, the Starship. Starship is the most ambition is rocket ever built. What's been harder than expected? And what's the next milestone we should watch for?
Speaker 2: Well, I thought everything would be hard, so it's not like it was like.
Speaker 4: It would be easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, Starship is is a crazy program on so many levels. Because if you've got something with two and a half and future versions will be three times the thrust of the Saturn by Ron rocket, which was previously largest rocket and largest playing object ever made. So Starship is you know, three times thrust, roughly twice the weight of the next largest playing object haven't made, and has the goal of being fully and rapidly reusable. So this is a this is a really crazy thing too. I think it's really one of the hottest engineering challenges that exists. And you know, when we first started talking about Starship, people thought this was impossible. In fact, even within the company, we we sort of thought it was impossible, and it had a very high sort of work called gigle factor. You know, you mentioned the thing and people immediately start giggling, like at the absurdity of it all. So now, but now it's gone from uh as say we you know, I guess I specialize in the going from the impossible to the merely late. So that's my skill. It was impossible and now it's just late. So uh And I encourage anyone who's interested to go and visit star Base in South Texas. It's like a magical land with gigantic rockets. I think some of you would Yeah, it's inane, but it's very inspiring. It's like I take take breaths of family. It's on a major highway, so you can see things quite us up and really gets a sense for the scale of the of the rocket and the factory and everything. So it's it's very cool. I guess the thing that I thought would be hottest currently is the hottest, which is the creating a fully reusable obital heat shield, which has never been done before. So normally the heat shields are they're they're expendable, and even say for the Shuttle heat shield, they would lose many of the tiles on every flight and they have to refurbish the heat shield between each flight, so it's it's never no one has ever created a fully reasonable obital heat shield before, and no one, no one has created a fully reusable obital rocket before. And Falcon nine is the first rocket where there's at least the boostage is reusable on a regular basis and where it actually makes economic sense. So so so, solving the heat shield problem is i think probably the single biggest remaining challenge for Starship, and and of course getting the upper stage for the ship to land and also get caught by the giant metal chopsticks, which looks looks like a sci fi movie. That looks it looks like an improbable sci fi movie. The whole thing.
Speaker 4: Chop sticks literally catturing it, catching it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, giant metal chopsticks. That's it's pretty well to be catching the largest ling object ever made with metal chop sticks out of there. So then the but I'm hopeful that the ship will be will be recover maybe this year, but certainly let's say in the first half of next year, and then there'll be further improvements to make the ship and the boost not just reusable, but fully and rapidly reusable, which will actually drop the cost for a flight cost per ton of payload of starship below that of a Falcon one rocket of an expendable Falcon one, so that getting one hundred tons or more to orbit a useful payload will cost less than a rocket that would ordinarily deliver half a ton that was Falcon one. And it's because all you're doing is replacing the fuel and oxygen in the rocket as opposed to bullying a new rocket, and most of the propellant is actually oxygen, not fuel. It's but it's almost eighty percent oxygen twenty percent fuel. Then the next big technology challenge, after being able to achieve full use of the pull reuse of the ship, is orbital refilling, where where we actually refiel propellant from from over like like like Aerial refueling in this case is orbital refilling. I say refilling, not refueling, because most of what's transferred is actually liquid oxygen as opposed to fuel. So for orbital refilling. You you need to have two starships come together and dark and transfer propellant from one starship to another and then and then in the future to an orbit obitable propellant depot. Yeah, so that's that's the situation.
Speaker 4: Doesn't sound hard to just show.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is very feeble. There's nothing nothing is nothing impossible is being talked about here, but it is. It is very tricky to do, and and and no other organization is even trying to do this. It's like, so I'm like, well, who else is trying to do this? Will love it? You Actually, so, in fact, even after all these years, there's still a company that's reusing a booster. So uh, no one's even tried to do Balcon nine level reusability, even even though we've shown that that it clearly makes a ton of sense because you know, compare the cost of any form of transport.
Speaker 5: Where if you have to throw away the item afterwards, like if you've got if you have to if every time you drove somewhere you have to throw away the car, you'd be wow, that's a that's a that's a that's a crazy car where you have to throw away after every every.
Speaker 2: Time you drive it. But that's how it works for for rockets, So that is really yeah, I don't think I want to be driving a car if yeah, to buy a new car every time you drove somewhere and you have to tow another car behind you for the return journey.
Speaker 6: Elan, what does he? Yeah, yeah, so talk about the impossible, Elan. What does a self sustaining city on Mars actually look like? How many people, what kind of economy, what kind of governance?
Speaker 2: Well, uh, that that'll that'll governance will be up to the Martians. But you know, we we have some sort of artist impressions of what Mars said he would look like, uh, the and I don't really know to be honest, you know, except that Mars is not yet at the point where we're sort of terrified. We live outdoors, so you have to live initially in bars domes or something like that. And and then you can you can walk outside with a Mars suit, but you could you could not walk outside without a Mars suit. So yeah, it's uh. But I just also said, like, maybe explain for those who haven't heard of like like why why why is it worth doing something like this? What what's the purpose of Mars. Shouldn't we just focus on Earth? And I'm like, yeah, I think we should focus on Earth. Like ninety of what we do should we focused on Earth, but maybe one percent of what we do should be should be focused on on becoming a space for civilization in a multiplane species, because it's for there's that depends of argument where it's you know, it's it's it's if something would have happened to Earth and that destroyed civilization. This could be World War three, or it could be a meteor like one that destroyed the dinosaurs, then we want to make sure that the tiny candle of consciousness that exists with humanity does not go out. And so there's I think it's important to be a multiplant species to ensure the long term survival of consciousness and all and all the life forms that that we we have here on Earth. So and you know, the the other life forms can't extend life to another planet, but but we we can do it for them. We can we can bring there. And it's clear I'm an optimist. I mean, I think the most likely outcome is that the future will be good, but there's a small chance that the future that that's something will go wrong, and if so, we don't want to the light of consciousness to go out on that, you know, we want we want a light of conscious light of consciousness to continue. So that's kind of the defensive argument, and then the then there's also the sort of the the the sort of the the inspiration argument, which is that life can't be just about solving one sort of miserable problem. Ar you about the future that make you, that make you excited to be alive and make you, you know, you wake up in the morning, you're like, I can't wait to see what happens. They have any things like that too, and what they learn everyone on Earth, just like the Apollo program was inspiring to everyone on Earth, whether you went there. Obviously very few people went there, but but it was in a way we all vicariously went to the Moon and it was a great achievement to humanity and it was very inspiring to people all around the world. So and you're learning more about the nature of the universe and seeing what's happening out there. Even if you don't go yourself, it's still very it's very inspiring. So that, yeah, I think those were all things that matter a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's truly truly inspiring what SpaceX and even Tesla are doing.
Speaker 4: Do you ever foresee SpaceX?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Are you there? Are you there?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Guys, if you're talking to me, I cannot hear you?
Speaker 4: All right? Do you want to go check with? Can you hear me? Do you want to go check with? Noah?
Speaker 2: Real quick?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 4: Can you hear us? Elon? Should I make a joke out of this or not? Can you hear me now? Elon?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: The audio Hopefully we back in seconds, but bear with us as we navigate this. At least Elon's still there with the perseverance.
Speaker 4: Rover check, check, John check. Can you hear me? Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Are we back? Well?
Speaker 4: I don't think we can hear him.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 4: People are waving at you, Elon if you can't see them.
Speaker 3: But yeah, sorry about these audio difficulties. Hopefully we can get this up and run on you.
Speaker 4: Are you there?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, I was gonna ask you to dance while you were waiting silently, but you know, I figured we'd wait for that.
Speaker 2: I'm joking. What did you do? Did you hear what I said earlier?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did, and that I think yeah, yeah for sure. No, So we were what the what the question was is we were asking do you think that SpaceX is eventually going to go interstellar?
Speaker 4: Is there a plan?
Speaker 2: So? Uh yeah, I'm probably not in my life, but probably have time, but yes, eventually, Elon, can you hear me, I can hear yes. Okay, let's talk about Robotaxi.
Speaker 6: How do you see the Robotaxi platform coexisting with the rest of Tesla's lineup? Will replace the Model three?
Speaker 2: And why? Well, this cyber cap which is a two seater and that would they would not replace the tree and why? Because and why? I have four seater and six se cabildy, So I think you'd find that the cyber cab would be for one or two passengers and then dynamically it would call the Model three Model three or why four passengers or why for six packages? And you know, and they will the large vehicles. I mean this this is not the forum for making make product announcements. Uh. Uh, to be totally honest, so I gotta be you know, a little careful here about what I say.
Speaker 4: We got you?
Speaker 3: Uh, does Tesla plan on owning a large fleet of robotaxis and then when will private citizens be able to go on the Tesla network?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yes, will own some of the Uh the fleet will be Tesla owned and some of the fleet will be customer owned. So you could think of it as a model kind of like maybe some combination that we were in AIRBND, where you know, some people own the cars and then add the sort of track them to the fleet, and and some cars are owned by Tesla uh directly.
Speaker 6: So if Robotaxi succeeds elon, how how does Tesla navigate the paradox of making the best cars in the world but also possibly needing fewer of them.
Speaker 2: Well, you, guys, I think it's something me to answer questions because this is a publicly traded company and so you know, this is the most interesting questions you'd want to ask me all the questions I can really answered.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, of course, no, we definitely don't want to put you on the spot there. So I think you posted a week or two ago about and even Lars mentioned it about just the roadster program and how it's still active. What can you tell us about its current development status?
Speaker 2: Well, we're aiming for a demonstration at the end of the year. I mean, the roadster is not something that spoke to meaningfully effect to the financials of the company. There's two small relatives to other programs, so it is very cool. Hopefully we're able to do your demore. But early next lays.
Speaker 3: You said that Optimists could be more valuable than Tesla's entire automotive business. What's what's the roadmap from where we are today to widespread deployment?
Speaker 2: You know, again, you're really asking me for questions that are highly sensitive to the value of the company, and so, uh, that's not really something I can answer. The current version three of options, I think it's right design to go to volume production, but it is a significant redesign from version two, so in fact, almost nothing stays the same. So I really faced the choice of should we make several thousand versions two optus robots when we know the design can be much better, or should we pose to verse three, which is much better? And you know, and we're maybe have I don't know, a few hundred robots instead of a few thousand robots by the end of the year. And I think the right decision was to go with version three and then scale production significantly next year. Now it turns up the value of optimists. You really need to think of the basic question of who who wouldn't want their own possible C three po R two D two. I think I think we're dealing with that. I mean, let's ask the crowd. Would you guys like you guys wanted optimistic? Yeah, yeah, exactly, very would be very cool. And it would actually be, by the way, much better than in functionality than three pot two, so it would be super useful. So I think basically everyone on Earth is gonna want one, and and then you're gonna have a bunch of industry. So that's why I think it's probably it's probably product because there's at least a market for probably twenty billion these made based it could be fifty billion. I don't know a line. So you know, hypothetically, if Test was making a billion of these here at scale, and at scale of the cost gets lower and lower, So maybe like on the order two thousand dollars I'm just guessing. And you know that's that's thirty trillion in revenue.
Speaker 4: Insane.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, that's a long long way to go between here and making a billion provots here. Yeah, but I do think something like that may happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what would you say is Optimist is going to have the biggest impact on Do you think it's going to start obviously in manufacturing like or what not? Not necessarily timeline, but like where do you see optimists having the biggest impact?
Speaker 2: Well, initially it would go to very high value your things. So say somebody needs a lot of medical care some some thing, so like if you know, I'll be like a twenty four hour a day nurse or helper to someone that is quarter politic or something like that, you know, or something it just really it needs physical help. So that's the kind of thing which would be life changing for a lot of people. Those would be the highest value initial use cases. There will also be use in situations where it's, uh, the work is very dangerous so or where there's a lot of repetitive tasks, But like any any work that's that's that's risk spline or some kind of injury would be a good initial use case for Optimist.
Speaker 6: When you look ahead in ten years, what's more transformative full self driving or optimist.
Speaker 2: Optimist?
Speaker 4: It seems like that was an easy one.
Speaker 2: You've well, and I do. It sounds like it's very hard to do. So it's not like it just it's so I think, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see you're drinking some good old diet coke. By the way, shout out to those.
Speaker 3: You've hinted that we may reach digital super intelligence this year or next. How will we know that we've crossed that line? And what does one of a G What does day one of a G I really look like?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not sure it's like a a massive. It may be less profound then I'd be some fun will be less profound. They were like, hey, I have not done yet is new technologies that are useful? So uh, it hasn't hasn't discovered new business and it has not invented technologies that are useful. But I think that is something that that that that that will happen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, m If Grock becomes smarter than any human, what role do we play? Are we co pilots, overseers or just legacy code?
Speaker 2: Well, we weren't just wrong. Uh, there will be many that there will be at least I think for major y guys, maybe five just in the United States. And so even if was not developed there would still be digital superintelligence. And I've been fighting the yeah, putting quersonally start driving hard on digital super intelligence for a long time because I would if this is a double edged order signal disord or what. But it became very obvious after a while that this was going to happen, whether I anticipated or not, so they fall I had a choice of either be a spectator or a participant, but that it was going to happen with or without me. So then I think we'll rather be a participant than a spectator, and I can focus on a I safety which in my view, and I've thought about this a long time, is that the most important thing for AI sayet is to be maximally truth seeking, which means often like saying things that are maybe politically incorrect but actually actually correct, and also maybe there will be mistakes that are made, then admitting the mistakes and taking correct taking corrective action. And Croxel has a long way to go to a true seeking But I think this is also consistent with UH inventing new technologies, UH, you know, solving medical problems. You know, you know, if you want to if you want to cure cancer, you have to be actually too CP to understand what the brickpos is for example. So that's so I think that's actually very fundamental both for safety and for useful notes. And yeah, so another the economy of the future, I think it's going to look uh, sort of quite different from where it is today. And I am robotics in the good scenario, which we're working towards here trying to ensure makes that we do have the good scenario, there will be no shortage products and services or anyone like basically anyone will be able to have any product systems they want. That's the product that he gains from a Robotics are just astounding to think about it, Like I think, I think it could increase decides the economy by a factor of ten or more like, it will eliminate poverty, and it really will be any situation where anyone can have anything they want. The bigger challenge may be finding meaning in life. So ifone can do anything that you can do, but maybe better, how do you find meaning in life? That's that maybe the biggest job.
Speaker 3: When you think of the fact, you know, you mentioned that you know you've been holding off on, you know, really getting involved, whether it's you know, participating versus being a spectator. And when you're thinking of the next couple of years of like let's say, not necessarily catching up, but just doubling down and really focusing on it, what are going to be your biggest focus points?
Speaker 2: Really, it's making it useful and making it safe for humanity, and making love humanity especially I behave you know, you want to to be useful friendly, So the most important things. I've never seen any technology advanced as fast as AI. So, and I've seen a lot of technologies advanced. Yeah, the rate of I well, and maybe this is a discomforting metaphor, but AI is a a supersonic tsunami.
Speaker 4: Does not sound fun, But yeah, it sounds it.
Speaker 2: Sounds a little scary in that way, but it's in terms of maybe in terms of exceeding prior technologies, it's like supersonic me. And you really do need to compare AI with robotics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's it's crazy just how much it's advanced in just the past year two years, and and seeing how kids are using it, looking at using Grock four Grock voice the companions. Now, mhm, I think you've answered this before, But what would what keeps you up at night when you think of the future of AI and now that you're doubling down and really just going wartime mode right now on just tackling this these issues.
Speaker 4: What is uh, what is something that keeps you up at night?
Speaker 2: Well? AI safety and making sure the AI is aligned with humidity and ones too, fuster grow and better humanity and yeah, basically we want to be like if you could, if you look into a crystal ball now and see the future, it used to be the future one and so uh, I mean I have this kind of like new term or the goal of test because the goal TEST previously was accelerating the advancement of sustainable energy, just like a very good goal. And then the reason I pursued that rather than AI, because I could have pursued from the beginning, was because I was confident that that sustainable energy was a single edge store only like it was only a good edge, you know, so we shure that, Okay, we succeed in that, Like, okay, that's that's definitely good stainable energy. My definition is great if you're a cleaner air and you know, and I can run out of whatever this closet fuel is, uh, with with combinations solar batteries and electric cars, then that's like that's an equipment good yah. Yeah for AI. Like I said this, it is more of a double ed sword risk, but I think it most likely will be good and most likely will bring immense prosperity, and you know, it's gonna figure out how to cure every disease and uh it's it's probably gonna be awesome. But I think we need to be careful and not complacent and and we've actually be somewhat paranoid to make sure that we have the good AI future not the bad AI future. So I mean from front from a Tesla's box standpoint, I just start with autonomous autonomous cars and especially with with optimises go TWI to sort of crazy levels. I'd always recommend, like looking at Kathy Would and Argus a balnsis there, they've been right in the past, and I think they're right this time and again with a lot of difficult execution. I think there are people out there said, well, Tessa's evaluation could be twenty five trillion, and I think that that's probably correct. If we execute well on autonomous transport and Optimus, it actually does get to a twenty to thirty killion dollar evaluation. That's twenty to thirty times what it is saying.
Speaker 4: Everyone's cheering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the math is math is here. So it's just it's just a massive amount of work. And but but I but like, I think you can do that massive amount of work. That's what happened, Kaylon.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about neuralink. You've described neuralink in the past as a way to solve the input output bottleneck between humans and machines, right, h what's the long term vision? Is neuralink a medical company or is it the first step towards symbiosis with aika.
Speaker 2: It's it's also as a medical technology, So neural links initial goals are really true help people, uh who have say quarter plea caetriplegic situation, they've lost the use of their body, and to be able to enable them to control their boner computer just by thinking. And I think we make eight patients so far, and all eight love the advice and are using it every day. So it's it's helped a lot of people. And I think we're test a team. The newerally team is aiming to do about twenty patients by the end of the year, so it's tolerating, and then next year we'll be doing the blind site implement which will enable people who are completely blind, like if they've lost both eyes and optic gove and still be able to see they're facing directly with one fourteen. So there's a lot of cool things like that. So the folks essentially is fixing serious medical issues and prove out the safety and efficacy, and then eventually at some point you could get cybernetic announcements, so it could could be something that massively augments intelligence and allows you to communicate at ultra high speeds. So it it's very sci fi, and you can get to the point where you could upload your memories uh and and essentially have a staved version of yourself. And then I'm speculating here, but but but then maybe download that into uh a new on a clothe body, either robot I'm really getting into sci fi here, but but like I'll load that into a robot body if you want, or a cloned version of your original cell. You know that they certainly made sci fi movies written books about this, so these are not new ideas, but I do think stuff like that will be possible, which would give you, I guess, a form of or anybody wants it, a form of immortality. And to be clear, I do think these things will be available to anyone who wants to do it, So it's not going to be sort of limited to a few sort of you know, uh, elite out of a society, and I think it will be available to anyone who wants to.
Speaker 3: It's crazy just to think, you know, with neuralink, Grock, the Grock Opinion, and even the humanoid robot.
Speaker 4: How do you do you see?
Speaker 3: I mean, it just feels like more and more, whether it's Grock, the Grow companion, and then neuralink. I know, we did an interview with Brad, who is the third patient who has als and he was also utilizing GROC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you what do you see?
Speaker 3: Continuing to see that integration between let's say near Link and even even Grock as things continue to grow, Yeah, Grow.
Speaker 2: Will actually be able to understand those signals from you. So the neural links take me to your brain and then sending the signals to Grog and then actually understand those signals at kind of like a binary level as opposed to having to translate it. In words and so greatly improve the efficiency with which you can use your neural link device. Like it's so that, I mean, we're really getting into some interesting philosophical questions or interesting questions, like if you think about how much your mental see your mind is used to take a complex thought or image in your mind and translate that into words, and it's and it's very lasting, because how can you really pusworth words convey say the image that you have in your mind. It's very difficult to do so. And and if you're not, like if you're an artist, it's actually very difficult to actually get the image from your mind onto computer or paper. But the computer could do that. You could say, okay, this is the image that you want to produce, and we'll listen. Like there's a complex series of concept that you want to convey to someone else, and if both people have a new link, you'll be able to convey a complex series of ideas, uncompressed in their full form to someone else's mind, as opposed to reducing complex concepts down to a few sentences and trying to get someone else to hear what those sentences are, decompress those sentences in their mind and try and try to understand the concepts that are in your mind. So this is why I call it conceptual telepathy. So this would greatly improve communication and understanding between humans.
Speaker 3: You've mentioned restoring vision and mobility, but the idea of writing to the brain too.
Speaker 2: Sorry. So it's like, basically, if there's if there's any sense or brain injury, and principle that sensory function or that brain injury can be sold with a neural link. So that includes uh, carring side smell o people, but not people lost their sense of smell, but feeling. It could be like if somebody hasn't stroke and they've lost the ability to move that arm, a neural link could restore that ability. It's it's really a very powerful general purpose input output device that can address, you know, over time, any brain or a logo issue. So having seizures, it could actually stop the seizures. It could I think probably fixed schizoprenia. Like it's like a lot of there's a lot of things that could like in principle, can fix basically anything that's to do with the brain or neurons or your senses.
Speaker 3: Is there anything that would be like, is there a most difficult problem to solve in that space then, because technically a lot of it could be solved. Is there something that would maybe you would see bigger blockers on trying to solve As far as fixing those problems.
Speaker 2: I'm not aware blockers right now. It's just that when you're putting devices and humans, yeah, very capital and to make sure that uh, no damage is done and is the implant works and without any negative side effects and so far uh you know, knock on wood, we're betting the house here and and and yeah, well patients of the devices of work and there no meaningful side effect. So that's it's it's really just yeah, it's pretty cool, but it's just in order to be saved that does low us down. And of course we we interact c culosely with the with the d A and for for approvals and stuff. So it's it's not just uh yeah we were like vacuum here, it's it's with regula from the f t A so uh. And and then you do need different fairvariance of neural link device for solving different things. So for example, for uh for the lethopy product, just what we have in the eight patients so far that interfaces with the motor cortex in the brain. So it's like like literally it's someone will think about gibbing their hand, neural link device will read that signal in the motor cortex and then move the mouse on you on their computer. And then for site it's a different thing because you've got to stimulate the visual cortex, and the visual cortex is in a different location and it's it's a little deeper, so you've got so you've got to put the electrodes a little bit deep, deeper to reach the visual cortex. And in this case, it's it's a it's not reading, it's writing. It's it's effectively writing pixel to the visual cortex. This is something we've had working in monkeys for about three years now. In fact, one of our monkeys has both a telepathy implant and a blind side implant and he's a very happy monkey. I do want to emphasize we take uh great care of our animals. This is a really big deal because I've always said, like, imagine if we were in that position, well, let's just do all the things that if that if we're in that position, we do. And the USA inspector that came by to check out opportunities. She said, in her entire career career, she's never seen a nicer monkey enclosure ever. And let me tell you, monkeys love for the lefty implant. Monkeys are just like us. They love playing video games and eating snacks. So if if you look, if you look at that video of Pageer, I g. It's like four years old. Now you see, he's just he's just sitting on a branch, uh, sipping a banana smoothie which he gets every time he spoils. He gets a snip of a smoothie, and he's not being held down like he likes playing the game. So just really just like humans, like Mike, snacks and video games. Yes, the same thing.
Speaker 3: One question I have, how does like building a humanoid robot and neuralink intersect if at all?
Speaker 4: I mean, what are the learnings from that? Is there any overlap?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, I've just building a human robot has really made me think a lot about how the human body works. You gain your appreciation for actually just how awesome that design the human body is. Now literally you know, I think some parts of the human body could be better, like the spine, Like why do we have storage back pain, it's very annoying.
Speaker 4: Maybe don't fight sumo wrestlers, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seriously, Doug going great, but you know, yeah, typically you know, everyone has back pain at some point in their life, which is also the thing your link consult, so that'd be cool too. But no, your optimists really made me think a lot about how our hands work, how we balance, how we do different things. But maybe more than anything, just how incredible our hands are. There. It's like, wow, things that our hands do, like the hands postumus are half or more than half of the electro mechanical problem, and the entire rest of the bodies is a half. Wow.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And and it's like, honestly, you look at your hands, you're like any movement and if you can, if you feel your forearm, like the almost all the muscles that control your hand are actually in your forearm and and and and they're pulling your fingers like like puppets. So yeah, there's only a small number of muscles that are in that in your hand itself. Your hand is a controlled through tendant that go either or among your pupple tunnel, and Johanna is being operated like marrying it from the Foreman. Yeah.
Speaker 4: One thing that's crazy.
Speaker 2: I just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's crazy how much the human body, whether it's like you know, Tesla vision going you know, just trying to see what kind of like similar to how humans view the world, right and getting rid of the radar, and then same thing with the humanoid robot and just you know, thinking and seeing how the human body works. Is there anything more specifically even within the human body that will continue to infer whether it's the humanoid robot And it sounds like obviously the hand is the big one of the biggest problems.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but are there other parts of the body too that that would.
Speaker 3: Continue to help infer other parts the humanoid robot or again it's just yeah, with Tesla vision and eyesight.
Speaker 2: Well, with Optimists, we're able to re use the autopilot commuter. So Optimists is uh intelligence power by the apho h same computer that controls the car and you know, a small battery back that's unlikes the car battery back, So there's a lot of carris with the car okay uh. And then the AI that's in the car is as similar to the AI that will be an Optimist running into the a I fo hardware and then a have hardware when that's ready.
Speaker 8: So there's a lot of pels, but the limiting factor is the hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm against that. Optimism will be the biggest product ever. Yeah, and then of course Autonomy is starting to roll out Karlin, but will be in many cities and throughout the United States later this year and hopefully many countriesanks year. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Here in the Bay Area, we have a bunch of fomo. Everyone's looking at Austin right now. I can tell you I always whenever I opened that ROBOTAXI app. Man, it just the geo fence, just the figurine is insane.
Speaker 2: That's funny. I mean, you're gonna have some fun. Yeah, don't take yourself too seriously type of thing.
Speaker 6: Let's switch and talk about X. You've called X and here we are at X Takeover. You've called everything app. But it's still in a transitional phase. What exactly do you want to be in five years?
Speaker 2: I mean, is definitely improving. It's it's evolved a lot from Twitter. You only have like, you know, short text tweets and like two minute videos to the point where now you can have like more hour videos and you can write a novel if you want on a system. So it's it's gone through a fully multimodal from long videos to long text anything in between. And we're currently really improving the DM system. So the new system called x chat, which audio video calling. It's all fully encrypted period peer style like bitpoint. And that's the test is that even if somebody uh puts the gun to my head, I still can't read your messages. That's the test. So it's like very secure and and and also like you calling and and and video with it. And then there's the kind of X money or expance release, which is hope hopefully only a few months away we actually have it operating, invade it within the company, and that that will be a major factor. So been excess as much as possible, ensuring freedom, like freedom of speech within the as much as we can within the bounced flow. And you know, also like aspiration trying to reach for the truth of things, like you see that in community notes, where community notes will correct someone, even if they're very powerful. Community community notes will correct me. It will correct president CEOs, even major advertisers, and even if that costs money. So I think it's generally there's a lot of good things that have happened. We're trying to the algorithm, which we know it kind of sucks right now, Sorry about that. I actually enjoy it, but okay, okay, good.
Speaker 3: Well, some days are crazier than others, like when the geofens expanded and some of these other things.
Speaker 4: But yeah, no, I don't know. If you have any opinions, tell them.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry your voice was a bit lower. I couldn't be a question.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was saying.
Speaker 3: The algorithm can be crazy some days, especially like when the robo taxi geofens expanded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they have anther watching. Goal of the algorithm is trying to show people information they would find most interesting. But right now it'll show you too much of one thing. Yes, if the sort of interesting thing of the day is right now, the ext algorithm will show you too much of that, and it's like, okay, I don't need to see it twenty times, you know, Yeah, I think I think I've seen, like the studies we need jeans thing about four hundred times this long, and it's like, okay, the first few times was good, but we shouldn't show things like one hundred times because because you want to hear paims so exs making study progress being offering. Yeah, pretty much checking you'd want to do. And yeah, I feel good about where it's head.
Speaker 3: Payments were we've all I know, we're waiting on that and just you know, thinking about even PayPal too. It's crazy just what Fate loves Irony doing x dot com back in what the late nineties and then full force buying it, you know, years back, and now now you're doing payments again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a sort of poetic and or or returning to something that we're sort of unfinished with PayPal and completing the product. One.
Speaker 6: What role do you think rock and x AI play in the future of x Is it just a feature, a core intelligence layer or does that change how people experience the platform?
Speaker 2: Yeah, grow I think it's pretty helpful because that that grock button. But you can press about any given posts on the system, and it's analysis of the post. It's usually quite accurate. It isn't bad a thousand, but it's really gives you keep your insight into any given piece of information that somebody posts on the system. You can figure out what context U helps you figure out if it's true or not. And we actually just added Crock role advertising on the system, so you can you can press the Crock button and see this ad. Does this product can work? Or is it? Uh? Is this productal legit or not? Which I kind of always wanted to hap on ads. You know, it's like, this thing really work? That's what I want to ask a lot of ads, And now on the X system you can ask this thing really works? I guess advertisings were Grock says it doesn't really work. I'm probably not going to advertise very long. Maybe it'll encourage better honesty and advertising, which I think is a good thing. But we're just generally trying to make excess system that you can trust more than any othersism and I think I think it is there already. It's just not say that X is perfect. It's definitely mistakes. But is there any social media company you trust more than X? No? Nope. So it's like I'm not trusting Page Book, you know. So I'm not to pick on Facebook, but you know, I think it's actually probably fair to to day that X is the most trustworthy or least untrustworthy of social networks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that became very apparent just when you saw, like when you just compare of like the news during COVID and things being censored. Yeah, and you know, just you come to X and you can find out what's really happening. Yeah, and it's real time. It's really like the I would say, the you know, the world's discourse in town Square, Right. It can sometimes be a fistfight, if like, but at the same time, it's just you know, where you can find out what's really going.
Speaker 2: On, right, And that's the goal, and I do want size. Obviously there's a long way to go. It's far from perfect, but I do think it's getting better over time. And yeah, sometimes two steps toward, one step back. But the trend of a time I think is very good for X being the place where you can figure out what's really going on in the world, to get to the truth, and you can ask Rock more. You go to learn a lot of things, so you can ask if there's a new thing that's invented or announced, you can ask Rock on the system more about it and instantly educate yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think I've been.
Speaker 2: And then we monitor when GROC gets things wrong, and then we feed that, we feed that back into the system to make it aspirational less wrong over time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really just crazy to think. You know, when you talk to GROC and you can ask it for just things that in your timeline, Hey make a post sound like me on this topic or you want it's pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we already actually aiming for GROCK to be the actually interesting. Two gold are for GROCK to be the most true seeking AI, but also the funniest AI, because you've gotta have some fun in life, and you know, uh, laughter is the best medicine you gotta you gotta have some fun.
Speaker 3: Y elon, you've predicted a world of abundant energy, robotic labor and a g I uh with AI and optimists doing you know, potentially a lot of things and reducing the amount of things that we're doing today. What do you think is left for humans? And really what does that mean for in the world of artificial superintelligence?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's inesting I struggle with. Actually, this is part of the reasons for your line, which is two improve the band communication with AI so to help achieve a better human AI smiosis so that you know, AI knows what we want and it can respond to collective human will and I think things like you really can actually effectively dramatically increased our intelligence. But I think the cuture is very much one where human intelligence, machine intelligence, and robots are interwoven. I think said, I think it's eighty maybe ninety percent likely to be awesome, but we've got to be quocious about that, you know, ten percent maybe not asome situation like Terminator. Yeah, I mean seriously, that's you know, stuff like that would be that.
Speaker 6: What's your vision for a society where human effort is no longer required for survival or productivity? How do we avoid irrelevance?
Speaker 2: Right? I think the central question, well, if you are symbiotic with AI, where we there's this essentially a human machine intelligence, then we may be able to address the relevance question. You know, like, let's say you uh ride a bicycle or a motorcycle or a car. You're you're a super human and what you're able to do. You can now travel faster than any human with legs. I mean, if you're a car, you can go faster faster than the fastest human.
Speaker 3: Ever.
Speaker 2: Does that make funning irrelevant? I mean you'll still run and race against each other. So but but you've got to humans working with machines. I mean they actually had these kind of debates when the Zeam engine came along, and then the trouble It's like, well, because people drive a lot of their value from saying that they can do manual cast the machine, and then the machine got.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: But this is a philosophical question that I struggle with, and the best thing I came up with is that you have inter open human machine intelligence and UH got something like your link to open in human intelligence and improve the symbiosis with AI that that we effectively become maybe one with the ail.
Speaker 3: You are sorry, the audience was about to clap and I start talking, but elon you. You know you're you're solving uh. I guess in a lot of ways is sometimes you say you know a lot of problems, and in a lot of ways you're creating a very exciting future with reusable rockets, the mission to Mars with Starship, with the humanoid robots, and how it's gonna just the impact that.
Speaker 4: It'll have and near Link and seeing the impact on Nolan and Brad.
Speaker 3: What what gives you hope for today, not just for humanity and civilization but personally.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the future is going to be very interesting and exciting, and and I guess I think what I want to be at any other point in human history? Is there some other point in human history that that is more interesting than where we are today? And I think that's there's no at least for me. I think we're the most interesting part of human ditty, and it's getting more interesting with each passing mode. And so that's okay. Well, if I'm in, if I'm in the auto history, that that is the most interesting, then I think, you know, anyone feels that way, and I think a lot of people feel that way. That we should feel very lucky to be alive at this time to see these amazing things happen.
Speaker 4: Well, Elon, we wanted to do a time check.
Speaker 2: But also I better get back to my eight jobs.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly, you're not a busy man at all.
Speaker 3: But we just Kelvin and I we just want to on behalf of test owners of Silicon Valley, test Owners Austria sand Looking Valley and really just all the fifteen hundred people that traveled.
Speaker 4: From all over the world.
Speaker 3: We just want to personally just say thank you for all you're doing and thank you for continuing to push humanity forward.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have a whole bunch of people here just cheering. So thank you for all you're doing.
Speaker 2: Thank you well, and and thank you for your support over the years. I super appreciate it. And I would say my heart goes out to you, but I have to watch my.
Speaker 4: We know what you mean.
Speaker 2: I can only point straight ahead or straight up. Hey, so we want but anyway, and thank you all for your sport over the years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we just had one thing that we wanted to present to you.
Speaker 7: Okay, how's it going, Elon so On behalf of ts T O SV and uh the presenting sponsors Haha. Yes, we we wanted to present something to you that was symbolic, meaningful and really, you know, these last few months have obviously been quite tumultuous for you, and so we really got creative and really, uh yeah, we wanted to create you something special, and so I'm going to read you something basically. You know, Elon, you brought electric cars back from the dead, you made clean energy cool, you made rockets reusable, You're going to take us to Mars. You spent billions to buy Twitter and save free speech. You stopped running your empire to work for the US government for free, to reduce wasteful spending, to save the country from bankruptcy.
Speaker 2: Right, and I took a few rs for that one.
Speaker 4: Clear, and and and and how and how were you thinked?
Speaker 7: It's like you were betrayed. You were you were mocked, attacked by the very people who once cheered you on your name, dragged through the mud, your cars vandalized, your motives questioned. But that's not the full story, as I imagine many here what a test. So there are millions of people who see you for who you are, people whose lives you've touched and changed, people who believe in what you're building, people who love you and have your back.
Speaker 2: Thank you, so yeah, thank you,