Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: I'm joining right now by one of my favorite Dodgers. He was drafted and developed by the Dodgers. He was part of the Dodgers twenty twenty World Series team. The ferg Train now resides in Pittsburgh, and that is the one and only Caleb Ferguson. You're all grown up now, Ferguson, thanks a lot for taking the time out for the little people.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely great to be back in California.
Speaker 1: I dugged the cold weather with me from Pittsburgh, but it's always going to be back at other stadium.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've seen you grow from just a kid that came out of high school to where you're at now, a world champion, a veteran.
Speaker 3: Of this bullpen.
Speaker 2: How does your outlook on your career look now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm very, very very blessed to be able to play five seasons in the spot that I got to play five seasons at in LA And you know, I think I think kind of when you're in the moment, you can take it for a little bit and not really realize how lucky you are, and then when you get out and see the outside part of all of it. You know, you're you're blessed to play on team like that and get a chance like that, and you know, it's it's definitely a place where you can kind of learn a lot about yourself as a player, and you know, they give you the chance to kind of grow and develop, and you know, I'm pretty blessed to have been able to do it here.
Speaker 2: From being a guy that was learning how to be a professional to a guy now with the Pirates that's a leader in that bullpen who helped you take that big step when you're with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Daniel Hudson was kind of my guy that I leaned on a lot in twenty eighteen when I first got up here, especially because I went from starting to relieving in the big leagues and I had never pitched out of the pin, so I didn't really have anybody or anything to go off of, and Huddy was kind of the guy that similar stories and you know, so I just kind of leaned on Hoddy with everything, and you know, asked him, you know what I've felt like I needed to ask, and kind of everything else was just kind of trying to just figure it out as I went.
Speaker 2: Why is it so important for Daniel Hudson to have that type of effect on you, not to show you a pitch grip, but just to get your head where it needs to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because, I mean, you know, you're the saying all the time of how mental this game is. So when you have a guy that can kind of help you get out of your own way just by talking, you know, is extremely beneficial in this game, especially when you play every single day and it's very easy to let your mind consume, you know, everything.
Speaker 2: When you came up with the Dodgers, Walker Bueller was coming up as well. So I'm curious when you were watching the World Series last year and you see Walker Buehler have that moment, where were you and what were your feelings watching two teams that you played for go at it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I never I would never want to give Walker too much credit, but no, I mean definitely a lot of respect. You know, that's starting games like that and coming out of the pen getting the three hardest outs of the game, and you know, it's very impressive, and you know, it's definitely a weird I would say.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of emotions involved.
Speaker 1: You know, I was happy for both both teams in New York, LA whatever all my you know, my boys or whatever.
Speaker 3: Happy for all those guys.
Speaker 1: But definitely kind of a crazy thing to see, you know, those two teams going at it and then just like knowing a lot of the guys that were on the field and that kind of stuff. But yeah, a lot of credit to Walker for taking the ball there. I know it's you know, it's not easy to do on short rest, so you know, the ones that are in it every day they know how hard that is to do.
Speaker 3: So a lot of credit there.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you weren't surprised by his pose after he struck out Alex Verdugo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you know, Bueller, I mean, that's you know, I can't really say here what he probably would have said to it to everybody, but I think people probably know what would have came out of his mouth that there would have been a mic. So not surprised at all by that reaction.
Speaker 2: Caleb Ferguson is our guest. Sorry, Caleb, So, first time on this side of the Dodgers dugout, Dodgers Stadium dugout. How would you rate the Dodgers visiting clubhouse staff compared to the great Alex.
Speaker 1: Taurus amenities are great. Staff not not as great.
Speaker 2: There's a kid by the name of Joseph. We all call him Wheezy. So he's been your guy since what minor league camp?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've known.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I've known the head guy over here and Wheezy for I don't know too long now, probably ten plus years, so it's kind of unfortunate.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: Hey, when I'm even in that new renovated Dodger Clubhouse, I still look at that same corner where you and Kenley Jansen used to be locker mate. So I just want you to know that I still have no matter who's sitting there. That's Kenley's spot, that's Caleb Ferguson's spot.
Speaker 1: Not many guys left on the ferg train, but I guess one of them.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 2: And I got Brad Paisley on it too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go. That's right. That's right. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Always great to catch up with you and really proud of where your career has gone.
Speaker 3: Now yep, thanks for having me