Speaker 1: The right quot.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 1: Scam is back.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Sax and Kate's in the.
Speaker 4: A APPA go with proway.
Speaker 2: Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 3: Sax and Kate's in the AM on this Thursday morning. Thanks for being with us, say as you get up, get ready for work, school, take the kids to school, make that commute wherever you're aheaded on this Thursday morning, Thanks for taking us with you on A five seventy LA Sports. Thanks to Charlie Steiner. David Basse caught up with the voice of the Dodgers as he is now in remission, which is great news to hear battling melanim of blood cancer. He has been doing that all season long. That's why you haven't heard the great Charlie Steiner here on a FI seventy LAS Sports Bud fully expects to be ready to go in twenty twenty five. And pretty fitting to have Charlie talk about the Yankees and Dodgers since he called play by play for both of these franchises.
Speaker 1: Yea, he's seen a lot of it, boy, and we talk about seeing it all, you know. I wouldn't say he's seen it all for the amount of years he's been here, but he's seen a lot of it, and you know, to be with both franchises a pretty good perspective he's got on this particular world series too. But glad and so happy that Charlie's gonna beat this. He's gonna be back next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so great to hear. If you missed it, you can podcast it on the iHeart Radio app. David Vassa will join us later on in the show as well. Steve Jaeger Boomer will join us the Boomer in eight o'clock hour get his thoughts on Fernando and certainly get his thoughts on this rematch of the nineteen eighty one World Series between the Dodgers and the Yankees. Saxon case brought to you by Chef Maditos Seasoning, the seasoning partner of the Dodgers. It's World Series time. Bring out the chef in you. We got into it last hour. The Dodgers already have two statues at it the center field plaza at Dodger Stadium, Jackie Robinson the first in twenty seventeen, and in twenty twenty two the Sandy Kofex statue was put in. The Dodgers will need to put in a third. But who would be? And we brought up Fernando Valenzuela, going right to the front of the line. Certainly Vinnie will get one. Certainly Tommy Lasorda well deserved, and we'll get one in due time. But brought it up the way that Fernando passed at the young age of sixty three, the what he did to the community, what it would mean for the community to have it as a rallying point at Dodger Stadium. And I got a couple of texts about that, for Buddy saying, you don't understand what it would mean to have a statue for Fernando at center field. We can only use it as a meetium spot. We can use it as a spot to take our kids who are younger. My buddy has a young kids that will teach him about Fernando and what he meant to him growing up, and he can go out to the statue and show him. It would mean so much for so many Dodger fans. I think it just makes sense. And again not to put Vinnie or Tomulas sort it to the side because they're gonna get statues. But I just think right now, in the moment where we're at, I think Fernando would be just the perfect one.
Speaker 1: And you know, you know what the statue is going to look like, right, We already know that.
Speaker 3: It's him looking to the sky right correct, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And being his wind up looking up, and that's a such a great picture. You know. I look at Fernando real quickly, Tim because I know you want to get up. But I look at Fernando as a is almost like a connector between the past. You know what it was, you know in la before, and you know certainly what he did in the present, but now it's especially looking forward to the future and what he does and bringing people together. The absolutely brought people together from before when he was playing, it was crazy. And now he's still bringing people together even in his even in his passing, he's going to be able to bring people together. So that transcends everything. And that's why you gotta have a big statue Fernando out there too, no question.
Speaker 3: Every Jackie Robinson Day when the Dodgers are home and they've been home, because it's Jackie Robinson Day on April fifteenth, Dave Roberts takes the team out to the center field place before the statue was up in the reserve area, and the last few years the visiting teams have come out as well with their managers and they'll gather around the statue of Jackie Robinson. And it's mostly for a history lesson for the young players, maybe the international players who don't know the history of Jackie Robinson, what he meant for baseball and what he meant for the Dodgers organization. And Dave Roberts does a great job explaining talking about Jackie, the importance of Jackie, the importance of baseball, and the influence of Jackie in nineteen forty seven and what he meant and It's a history lesson for these baseball players too, so they don't forget yeah, right, who came before them. This would be right in line for Fernando to go out there and talk about what Fernando meant to this community, what he meant to baseball. But hey, you're a Dodger now, this is what it would mean and what it means to be a Dodger based on Fernando, what he meant to this community. Look around when you drive to the stadium and you come up the one on one or the two, or the five or the ten freeway, and you're going through these communities rout here, it's Fernando. They love Fernando, and this is why you need to know about them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just just thinking as we talked before about how you know, Fernando could be that connection between now and what's happened before and certainly in the future. Jackie Robinson of course, really did that and still today, look at everybody still talks about they've retired number forty two. Most organizations have, I think they all have. They wear the number forty two on Jackie Robinson Day. This thing goes way beyond just what they did when they were here, It travels and it will forever. That's what Fernando brings.
Speaker 3: Armando in Ontario, Welcome to Saxon, Kate to the am here on Amphire seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Armando, Hi, this is.
Speaker 5: Veronica, Armanda's wife. He stepped away, But I have a lot to say about Fernando, all right, and what he is to the community. You know, there's that whole history of the Dodgers displacing the Mexican community, Mexican American community. Fernando brought us back. Give you a little trivia. I was born October twenty ninth, nineteen eighty one, hours after they played and One, and I grew up thinking Fernando's La Royalty and he really is what he did for the community in his later years. I had the opportunity to spend a whole day with him last year and the Dodgers on their community tour, And just to your point what you just said, he was a walking history lesson for those new Dodgers coming in. And the Dodgers organization has taken us through all these places in San Gabrio Valley in LA and telling these new Dodgers this is Dodger Country. These are Mexican American, you know, children of immigrants that Fernando brought back to the stadium. And to see his statue up there, like you said, you see a rally point. He's up there with Kobe. For me, he's my childhood and he's just a part of LA and he'll he'll be forever. It's his LA history.
Speaker 3: Well, Veronica, no offense to Armando, but we're proud we got to talk to you for Armando.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, Veronica, thanks for chiming in this morning and bring give us your thoughts.
Speaker 1: We appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you, Take care all right, had.
Speaker 1: A nice, little pleasant surprise there. Who's Who's Armando? Yeah, exactly. Armando just came in there and nailed it.
Speaker 3: Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Again is our number, eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. The statue would be phenomenal at Dodger Stadium. And to think of it, what they're trying to build in the center field plaza and to be a spot that is not just there when you go and watch a game for ninetings, that's great. You get to see great baseball in a in an awesome setting in the most beautiful area, and now you get to go. Make it a spot where you go visit the history at Dodgers Stadium. And you can go to the top deck of the reserve area and see the Legends of Baseball plaques that are up there. You can go out to the center field area and also so the history of the Dodgers from the awards individually, rookies of the years, the MVPs of the cy Youngs, to see the retired jersey numbers up on the Ring of Honor in the left field, to see the World Championship years along the right field by the stadium club up there on the club level.
Speaker 1: It's a spot.
Speaker 3: Not to say it'd be like Yankee Stadium, because Yankee Stadium was the first to do it with the museum they have in center field and the rich history they have there. Yeah, the plaques, but it's the Dodgers Museum. It's a spot where you can go and just learn about the history of the Dodgers at a young age.
Speaker 1: Tim for our fans listening that haven't been to on a tour to Dodgers Stadium must go. You know, if you like history. I love history. I love Civil War history. I've gone to the battlefields and studied that and read as much as I can about Civil War and I still do. I love that. Well, you know what, you get a big dose of that in baseball when you go to Dodger Stadium. So when I go there, I'm I'm in. I'm underneath the underneath there near the locker rooms and looking at all this stuff. They're all the you know, the the the Hall of Famers, and you know, the most viable players and you know, the Gold Glove Award winners and all those things are in there. So Dodger Stadium is a bastion of great of great history. For people that love to see that, you gotta go and take a tour and and really check out all the things there because they have a ton of it.
Speaker 3: It's going to be on full display tomorrow night, Game one of the World Series.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 3: Today is Media Day out of Dodgers Stadium. For those who don't don't know what media day is, It's think of the Super Bowl week that Monday night in which both teams go out in the field that that whatever stadium is hosting it, and you get all the international national media, and every player is set up in a podium. It's a little smaller venue being in the center field plaza, but each player is gonna have an area where they're set up, and you can go talk to these players and they're gonna be up there for forty five minutes. The Dodgers and then the Yankees will be out there for the forty five minutes, and you can talk to all the players and you're gonna get all those ridiculous questions. And I think it's good for baseball. I'll put it this way. Steve, as a purest, I know these players don't want to do this. These players are so locked into Game one tomorrow. They want to go over tape, they want to go over scouting reports, they want to get ready and are dialed in for this game.
Speaker 1: They're tolerating it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're tolerating it. I'm sure some of them are looking at it as a great opportunity to get their brand and their name out there, certainly, but I think the superstars per se probably don't want to do it and are feel like, you know what, this isn't football, where we are a helmet and we're faceless players for the most part. And now we get to take the helmet off and here we are in full display and outside of Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelsey, you know, we get to be on full display now because we're the other guys on this roster. I mean, we know who these guys are. We understand that there's no more storylines to be told.
Speaker 1: No, I think some guys, like you said, they're going to want to improve their brand. And with this era of social media, you know, it took me a while to really understand just how impactful and how big it can be for these players. And you know, some guys are gonna really benefit from from being out there in social media and improving that brand and whatnot. But you know, for the guys that have been there and done that before, this is a tolerating part of the whole process. Right now, they just want to get through it and they're gonna smile and do the right thing, because most guys I've met in baseball are good dudes, and they're gonna do the right thing. But they want to they want to cut loose and get this thing on. They're actually gonna feel you know, what's you know, what's crazy about this is when these games start and they're often running and you're playing these games, they're gonna feel most comfortable and the most freedom that they felt in this whole scenario when they're actually playing the game. That's where they're gonna feel the most free and the and the most amount of freedom and the most natural when they're playing the game. All the other stuff is is hectic, it's tough, and they kind of tolerate through it.
Speaker 3: Do you think Aaron Boone and Dave Roberts have to gather his teams in the clubhouse before they walk out to the center Field Plaza today for media day for their respective teams and say, guys, just a reminder all of you, look at all you in the eyes right now. Don't say anything stupid. Don't put any bullets on board material out there. Yeah, don't say something that you think's gonna be funny and taken sarcastically and it's gonna be written and look differently in print, and all of a sudden they're using.
Speaker 1: It against us. I would think, So, I know that's Tommy said that to you guys. Yeah, Hey, guys, shut up, don't say anything. Yeah, there's been times when they say things like, remember that you're gonna always have to pay for what you say, and you're gonna be the you know you're doing to be the slave of that. You know, you're gonna have to be answered all that stuff, but you're gonna be able to always be on top of things that you don't say. And so you know there's a there's a message in there is don't say something stupid. You're gonna have to own it and don't go there. Why take that luggage on? And yeah, they they've said that to us before. Usually it's sometime in spring training when you have all those meetings with the Players Association and whatnot. They cover all that ground. They like to do it one day, but very very poignant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be an interesting day at a Dodgers stadium to see the masses of media, to see all the questions that are asked, to see show Altani on the biggest stage along with all these superstars that are playing in this World Series Game one tomorrow night right here on five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doesn't show Hey, really have it made in this whole thing? Seriously talk to the interpreter. Yeah, he doesn't have to talk much. Just talk to him. I can't speak Cling, I can't speak English.
Speaker 3: I wonder what else you could ask show Hey Altani that hasn't been asked already.
Speaker 1: Who knows what he's telling the interpreter. He probably hasn't mean with the interpreter, it says, say all the right stuff. If they ask me some I'll give you like a two word answer in Japanese and japan Japanese, and then you can tell them what you already think.
Speaker 3: It is interesting easy to see him give these long answers than Will Ireton give us a smaller answer.
Speaker 1: But I guess now where's Will from? Is he from here? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But he's a Japanese descent obviously, and has worked for the organization for a long time. Was an interpreter for the Dodgers about a decade ago, and then got into a role working in baseball ops with the team in athletic training as well. Uh And when the whole issue with show Hey before the season started with his previous interpreter, the Dodgers were scrambling and needed to get a new interpreter there, and Will Ireton, already working for the team, did a great job before was inserting it to that place, and uh, yeah, it has been has been a great uh guy to have stand next to show Ayotani because he's been a Dodger employee and on top of that, it's somebody that show Hey can trust and there's a there's a communication already there between the two of them, and again the organization trusts him. So it was a perfect person to have slide into that responsibility. And he's a great guy.
Speaker 1: Too, Tim, do you have more of a family background you can give me on on will? I mean, I'll just asked you a simple question and you gave me like the ten minute rendition of a very very well thought out into find answer. And I appreciate that. Well, I that is amazing. You ask you what time it is, nil, tell you how to make a watch? Amazing.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. Yeah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: It's a compliment.
Speaker 3: He actually began back in nineteen eighty eight, when he was the son of a Japanese American father Spanish mother. His family moved to Hawaii when he was fifteen. He was born in Japan in nineteen eighty eight. He spent his teenage years in Honolulu, where he played for the High school baseball team. Oh yeah, and his worked in baseball for a long time after graduating from Menlo College.
Speaker 1: Wow yeah, okay, geez.
Speaker 6: You go.
Speaker 3: There's that full background. They got to start working as a translator in the World Baseball Classic and from there got into baseball.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: There's your will Ireton Info.
Speaker 1: Only get it from Tim Kate. That's right. I'm here for it if you need me.
Speaker 3: Eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy He is Steve Saxon, Tim Kate, Sax and Kate's and Am your phone calls coming up next hour. Steve Yeager will join us also next hour, be by your phones. If you're one of the hundreds that signed up at a Hollywood park, you know yesterday with Rogan and Rodney, you have a chance to win Game one World Series tickets. They're gonna pull a winner at eight o'clock and we'll announce the winner and call them on the air right after. It's Sax and Kates in the Am on n FI seventy LA Sports. Sax and Kates in the Am here on A five seventy LA Sports. You can listen to the Dan Patrick Show on the iHeartRadio app live and local during the Dodgers playoff run. Game one of the World Series is tomorrow night, first pitch at five to eight. Hey Dodger fans, MLB Tonight on MLB Network as you're home this World Series with live coverage before and after every game with highlights, interviews, expert analysis, and more from each Dodgers Yankees World Series game. Visit mlbnetwork dot com for more information. As Game one tomorrow, we'll have Garrett Cole on the mound from Orange Lutheran, UCLA. He'll be on the mound for the Yankees against the Pride the eight one eight Jack Flaherty who will go for the Dodgers, and again both teams will meet the media later on today for their respective media days in the center field plaza. A little bit more on Will Ireton, the translator for Shoheo Tani. Yeah, for those who don't know, we came to the Dodgers in twenty sixteen when Kenta Maida was signed by the Dodgers and had previous experiences we mentioned before in the World Baseball Classic. He was born in Japan, grew up in Honolulu, went to college here in the United States, and a great guy and been with the organization since twenty sixteen. When kent I left and went to the Minnesota Twins, he did not follow.
Speaker 1: He stayed.
Speaker 3: In fact, he went to go work in Tripa, A, Oklahoma city and player development and analytics and has worked for the organization since then in different levels. And in this past spring when the Dodgers were over in Seul, Korea and the incident with the previous translator was Shoheyo Tani, Will Ireton was moved back into that position, and that's where he came from this season. So cool, nice rundown because people wonder about him too.
Speaker 1: You know what's really we we kind of knew the sad thing about the former transfer, but this but Will seems to be you know, he's off to a great start. People seem to really like him. He resonates good with the press, and so yeah, I think it's a great choice. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, and you see him all the time because wherever sho hey Otani goes, Will Ironton is right there on and off the field. So yeah, he is in tandem with show Hey, So you see him all the time, and now you know a little bit more about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. Tim. You know it's gonna be another big question though, what's that is when they're going to deploy the bullpen game? Lots of questions about I hear that all the time. It's like the biggest question out there.
Speaker 3: Well, I would do a little bit more digging into why Dave Roberts went with Jack Flaherty, And the more and more I looked into it, the more and more it does make sense for this reason, which got you got Jack Flery can go in game one, You've got Yoshi Yomamoto in game two, right, and then both those guys can come back potentially for a game five and six, correct, And then if you go with Walker Bueller in the first game in the Bronx next Monday Game three, Game three, he can then can potentially go in game seven. So you set yourself up so one, two, three, five, six seven with your three quote unquote starters, leaving game four as the only bullpen game that you need that middle game in New York.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's here's the kind of like a little I agree with most of it, but you know, uh going if you have a bullpen game in three, that's going to guarantee that you're gonna have all those high leverage arms are gonna be available out of the bullpen after the off day, right right, And that would line up Walker Buller for Game four along with other you know, So I don't know, I mean that, what does that do for Game seven?
Speaker 3: So that would make Okay seven a bullpen game.
Speaker 1: Right, it would be a bull coming game. So I don't know, I mean or Walker Bueler on really just short rest short rest? Would Walk or benefit from going into game four? Do you think? You know?
Speaker 3: The way you spend it makes sense. You go with the bullpen game after the travel day because games one to Friday Saturday, travel day Sunday, you have a fresh bullpen ready to go for Game three Monday, and then a starter boom game four on Tuesday, and then you hopefully get something out a Walker where you don't have to go back to your high leverage relievers and they'll be ready again for Game five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but him and every other starter on that roster is going to be available for the potential Game seven. So remember game seven is not only a bullpen game. Game seven is all the starters are available too, So that's kind of a difference, you.
Speaker 3: Know, who else could be available in game seven?
Speaker 1: Pitch, don't say it? You know who else could be available? Saxy. Let's ask Will what he thinks about that.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 3: Tony available to pitch game seven of the World Serio.
Speaker 1: Now you said all hands on deck, Well that's that's not a I don't know if that one counts. Really No, there's too many risks. I mean, god, but you got a weigh it. Just think it's game seven. If you're in the ninth inning, you're thinking about bringing in one of the other starter, thinking about bringing a Yo, sure, one of those guys. And then you got show hey o Tani for three outs? How hard do you think he'll be throwing one hundred miles an hour? And it's and it's like nine to eight, so game you know, bullpens have already been taxed about this game. Oh what do you think?
Speaker 3: Don't wake me up. I'm dreaming right now, Saxy. I'm loving this. Imagine the camera in the dugout in like the seventh and eighth and he's like, where where's where?
Speaker 1: Show is? Singers like nine to eight and you're facing one, two, three and the Yankees. Oh, come on, you know what Hollywood wouldn't buy the script two phony.
Speaker 3: No know's no o Tani in the dugout. Next thing you know, the lights go out, the gate opens from the bullpen, and here comes show Hey, O Tani, holy man in a nine eight game in the night.
Speaker 1: And what do you think would be bigger when when show Hay come through the gates after not seeing him in And how much Dodger staying would he erupt? Or it's when Gibson limped out of the dugout to crash the home run? Which one would be bigger?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm gonna defer to you you were the guy on deck behind Gibby. I mean, what was the crowd like as he got up to the plane and then certainly afterwards that place was rocking.
Speaker 1: When when they introduced him. That's the loudest I've ever heard Dodger Stadium. Really, the loudest I've ever heard it, no question, kind of dwarfed everything else. It was so loud when when they announced him. But man, I tell you what, Otani comes walking out out of the bullpen. Nobody's seen him comes out in the ninth facing one, two three with the Yankees nine to eight lead.
Speaker 3: Bullpen's taxed. Come on, I'm gonna be epic. I don't think he'd be walking out. I think the gate would open, it'd be dark, and it'd just be Otani sprinting, just a full on sprint from the bullpen, the warning track to the pictures Man with his music going. People at Dodger Stadium would.
Speaker 1: Froll come on to freak out. People in the country would freak out at home watching it. But could you see him. We were sprinting out of that bullpen with about five strides and he's at the He's at the mountain right.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, it is setting up for this to happen. Somebody should ask that question on media day. Is it possible in any scenario that we're gonna see show? Hey Otani, somebody's got to ask him. I'm hoping somebody's listening right now, and does in fact ask that somebody?
Speaker 1: David Vass say, if you're listening, you have to ask Dave Roberts that question. I mean, you know somebody's gonna ask it, Well, they have to. Roberts is gonna give you the old Well, you never know. It's uh, we'll see how things play out, but it's probably.
Speaker 3: Not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: My my guess is it probably won't happen, but you know you never say no, maybe should ask show hey? One hundred percent they have to ask. Somebody has got to ask, and then they got to follow up. If he doesn't give you the right answer, well, like, well, is there a scenario? Is there any scenario at all where you could come in to throw one pitch get one out?
Speaker 1: Or it's just oh my god, imagine that because.
Speaker 3: If he well, here's the thing. If they ask him today and he he he leaves the door open, I mean think about I mean, that's all people are gonna be talk about. I'm thinking about what the World Series is win win, win win. When are we gonna see showing Otani on the mountain?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What if he puts out a blurb on like his social media that's like he shows like his hand his fingers like on the on the seams of the ball, and he's just nodding it up and down like uh oh, you know he's like he might pitch. Wouldn't that be great?
Speaker 3: What's crazy is he's pitched for six years in Anaheim and I'm acting like he's never pitched in the big leagues before getting ready for a World Series outing possibly. I mean again, this is just pure speculation. Those you're driving around right now wondering what is Otani gonna pitch? Purely speculation and hope scam thoughts, scam thoughts.
Speaker 1: Exactly, that's all. They are.
Speaker 3: Little st there, little scam thoughts.
Speaker 1: But you never know. I mean it is it is like gonna grow. This question is going to grow as the series goes along, and depending how the Dodgers are doing, of course it'll become more curious.
Speaker 3: So I mean, he's they've got us either squash it. The opportunity impossible an issue, right, They have to, They have to, you know what.
Speaker 1: They don't They want to kind of screw with the minds of the Yankees too, of course, because you know, if you squash it, then the Yankees are gonna think, Okay, we don't have to worry about that anymore.
Speaker 3: Mind games are the best kind of games. Yes, they are messing with people's minds, messing with the Yankees, messing with the New York media.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: I mean, this would be fantastic. And you know, in these these pregame meetings they do with Fox and all the announcers, you know, or you know, they ask the managers, you know, what, what do you what's you're playing here on the seventh Where do you think you're gonna lean in this situation, They're all going to be asking.
Speaker 1: Somebody's gonna raise it, there's no questions about it.
Speaker 3: But if you're the Dodgers, you got to keep it close to your vest. And I I now you mentioned mind games. I think it's even better if they leave that door open. Even if there's no shot of Otawni pitching we find out later down the road. Maybe just keep that door open. Maybe use this as a mind game like you did with the whole throwing the ball from Manny Machado towards Dave Roberts in the NLDS. Yeah, make it something.
Speaker 1: The thing is you have to get show Hey on board because if somebody asks him, you know, he's gonna tell the truth. He's he's he's that's what kind of guy is. He's not gonna he's not gonna, you know, try to be deceiving or anything, because he's such a straight up dude. Yeah me, I try to. I try to tell him, well, you know, we'll find out, won't we oh much show. He might just say no, of course I'm not available.
Speaker 3: That would be so great. Let's go out to the phones. A lot of Dodger fans want a weigh in. Also, the statue next up Fernando Valezuela center Field Plaza. It makes sense, Hector in La you are next up on Saxon Kates and am how you doing?
Speaker 1: Hector?
Speaker 6: Good morning?
Speaker 1: How you guys doing doing great things? Hector?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I have a Fernando story man uh me growing up as a kid. Uh you know, my dad wasn't the father that took us to amusement POGs, to the beach, none of that. But I remember at the age of four he always took us to Dodger Stadium to watch Fernando Venezuela. And I remember my father, you know, putting on a Dodger hat and he has to hear it is like Fernando. So I became a Fernando fanatic from the age of four and made some diary. Very unfortunate that he left us too soon. And it's very ironic that the day before he passed away, I was watching highlight videos where my younger son which says ten now and you know he started watching the video, but you know I had talked to him about Fernando when he was growing up, and we were watching the highlight video, especially when Vin Scullia called out the no hitter about throwing those some rato up in the air, and very very unfortunate. Man, My father's heart broken, my mother's heart broken up because we came from Mexico in nineteen seventy seven, so we got here in the naked time when everything was kind of rough, and Fernando was that light of inspiration for that. You know, no matter where you come from Mexico, whatever part of the country, we had that vision of hope in Fernando, and he kept it on for many years until the last day. Man, and Uh, I have an altar Fernando body swell in my office right now. I took his babbo in, I took his jersey.
Speaker 3: Hector, what would what would it mean to you and your family to have Fernando having a statue in Centerfield Plaza.
Speaker 6: Oh, that's gonna be like the icing on the keg. You know, that's our Kobe Bryant, you know, for the Mexican community, the Hispanic community. Uh, that's our Kobe Bryant, you know, and then uh looking forward to Game one and uh, you guys gave me a point of reference right now when you guys were tired about that show. Hell, tiny thing, that's gonna be the conversation I worked this morning. You know, Oh my god, that's gonna be the talk.
Speaker 7: Of the day.
Speaker 3: Hector, make sure you tell him when you heard it. You're listening to Scam on AM five seven, right.
Speaker 6: Right, I sure will. You guys are doing great, man, I love you guys, and you guys.
Speaker 1: All right, yeah, man, great to hear from you. Yeah. I know his dad didn't take him to the beach, but he took him to Dodgers. He took him to Dodger Stadium. And that's pretty darn good.
Speaker 3: Even better, even better. Yeah, of course both places you get a sunburn, but you at least you have fun doing it, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, But isn't that a great story that Hector just told us about about how you know, moving it was to Fernando. He gave him hope he's coming here in nineteen seventy seven from Mexico, and now you know, uh, just all the all the movement that Fernando gave them in Hope. And that's just what it's all about, man, right there. That's what that's why you need a statue of Fernando. That's what what the difference is.
Speaker 3: Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy again coming up at the top of the hour, be by your phone. If you were one of the hundreds that registered out at Hollywood Park Casino yesterday with the Rogan and Rodney show here on five seventy you have a chance to win Game one tickets to the World Series. A winner will be picked during the break at eight o'clock and then we will call the winner on the air. So be by your phone. If you're one of the hundreds that signed up. If you weren't well are you doing yesterday between new and three, well today you have the opportunity to make up for it between noon and three today out at the BJ's Restaurant in brew House in Rancho Cuckamonga. Rogan and Rodney will be out there from noon to three. You can register on site and then have an opportunity to win tickets to Game two and we'll announce the winner tomorrow right here on am FI seventy LA Sports with sax and Kates at the AM. So if you missed out yesterday's, shame on you. You got a chance to win Game two tickets by going and hanging out with Rogan and Rodney today and signing up on site at BJ's Restaurant in brew House in Rancho kuk Kamonga. So be listening if you were out there yesterday, we got the winner coming up at eight o'clock. Steve Jaeger joins us at eight thirty. Fernando Valenzuela statue. Is he next in line at Dodger Stadium?
Speaker 1: Believe so?
Speaker 3: Eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy and show hey Otani? Will the door stay open or they shut it closed? On the opportunity of pitching in the World Series. Mine games, Mine games with the Yankees. Nothing better than that. He is Steve Saxon, Tim Kates, Thanks for being with us, say if I seventy LA Sports Saxon Kates in the AM on a five to seventy LA Sports Live and local on your home of the Dodgers, leading you up to Game one of this World Series tomorrow night. Added Dodgers Stadium, Saxy. I know you're gonna find this hard to believe, but tomorrow, at first pitch, you know what the weather's supposed to be a Dodger stadium for Game one of the World Series.
Speaker 1: First pitch is five oh eight. I would say it's probably going to be uh.
Speaker 3: Seventy eight, seventy two degrees and beautiful.
Speaker 1: Well would you expect?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they're saying by the time the game ends a couple hours later, it'll be down to sixty three degrees and Dodger fans will be celebrating a Dodger Game one win hopefully.
Speaker 1: You know, there's it's so beautiful down there. You never get tired of those beautiful sunset in southern California. But I must say I got to stick up for the nine to one six up here in the mother Load Country. We have some beautiful historic sunrises and sunsets here up in No Cow. I mean it's it's beautiful up here too, but nothing more beautiful than so Caw, that's for sure. That is for sure.
Speaker 3: Game one at five oh eight tomorrow, Saxon Kates in the Morning, brought to you by Chef mud Eat those seasoning the official seasoning partner of the Dodgers. It's a world series. Time bring out the chef in you eight six, sixth ninety seven, two five seventy coming up in just a couple of minutes, you're gonna hear from Dave Roberts him and Aaron Boone the two managers in this world series have a rivalry going back all the way to college. What yeah, Not only do they have a rivalry now is the managers in this world series, but they're playing days for the Red Sox and Yankees squaring off in the ALCS back in the day, but it goes all the way back to UCLSC yes, thirty years ago. Well, here from Dave Roberts on that. In just a couple of minutes, let's go out to Joe and Sam Piedro. Joe, thanks for being with us here on an FHI seventy.
Speaker 7: How you doing, Hey guys, good morning, good morning. You know there's so many ties to San Pedro and the La Dodgers. Of course with Tim Lasord of the Italian community, and there was a moment in recognizing and paying tribute to Fernando these last few days that as a kid, I remember her first son. There was a rumor he was the first one was born in San Pedro in nineteen eighty two, but there was a rumor in town. There was a buzz at Fernando's first child gonna be born in Pedro. He lived in TV at the time, and everyone converged to San Pedro Hospital and when he came out with the child, with this Fernando Junior, everyone went wild. And this moment where we all recognized how important he was to the city, in this town in Saxony. I know you dated a girl in sam Pedro, if you recall.
Speaker 4: That was a big buzz too.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, I'm glad of it's been a long time, Joe, it's been a long time. It's been a quiet wow.
Speaker 4: A while back.
Speaker 7: But listen, as you know, what Fernando did to this city really brought people together. And how truly he's going to be missed in what he did for l A and the game of baseball. So yeah, I appreciate you guys recognizing them and paying tribute. And uh, clearly we're h time of mourning for this, for this town, for the city. It gave so much too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt, Joe, great to hear your voice. Appreciate you checking in this morning.
Speaker 1: Thanks Joe.
Speaker 3: Thanks all right, Joe and Sam Pedro appreciate that. Eight sixty six nine, eight seven seventy. Ken and Tarzana next up here on sax of Icates in the AMS.
Speaker 1: Ken, How you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm doing really well. How are you guys today?
Speaker 1: So good? Ken?
Speaker 4: Well, First of all, Steven, I've never heard that until a couple of days ago. Actually, and Timmy were you were a little bit surprised you heard from Steven that Fernando was called Freddie. Yeah, and I remember that all the time. And Fernando was just he hit everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: And he also, uh, you know, I had I was in college at the time, and uh, there's a fraternity brother of mine and he loved to vertake Fernando at our parties pitching. That was great stuff. But I also wanted to talk about a couple of instances where Fernando was in the field but he wasn't pitching. Uh, Steve, you might remember a game that went the extra innings against the Cubs. I think it was twenty one innings. You went three for nine and had a walk, and uh, Freddie went out there and played left field in right field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and we weren't worried about his defense either, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think the year after you you left the Dodgers and joined the dreaded Yankees, he went and played first base in the game that lasted over seven hours, twenty two innings. I also wanted to talk to you about the eighty six All Star Game where he signed the record for five k's in a row. And you actually you got to knock in that game, remember.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, knuckleball for Charlie Charlie Huff, I remember it, yep. And Fernando was stellar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know that he was in five All Star Games. He didn't give up any run, seven to two thirds innings. It was nails.
Speaker 1: He was ken.
Speaker 3: Great to hear from you, as always, Thanks for checking in on this Thursday morning. Zaxtually, the rival reatweing the Dodgers and Yankees goes back so long, and this is the twelve time these two franchises are going to square off. The Yankees own an eight three advantage. The Dodgers, most recently nineteen eighty one, won that World Series matchup. As we have been talking about all week, we'll hear from Steve Yeager coming up next hour. The two managers in this world series Dave Roberts Aaron Boone, two Southern California guys managing in this world series. Aaron Boone went to USC Dave Roberts went to UCLA. Their one year part in age. Dave Roberts is fifty two, Aaron Boone is fifty one. They got the rivalry between the two when Aaron was playing for the Yankees and Dave Roberts was playing outfield for the Red Sox. In those matchups a couple of years ago, well almost twenty years ago, when they squared off, and then the great home run from Aaron Boone, he had the stolen base from Dave Roberts against the Yankees and the Alcs. And now here they are squaring off his managers. And yesterday Dave Roberts was talking to the media and was asked about his relationship with Aaron Boone, the Yankee manager.
Speaker 1: And here's the what do you have to say?
Speaker 8: So Aaron and I have a good history. We played against each other at college. He went to s COLGCLA. We've got a lot of mutual friends, so we we sort of have similar circles. I know that we talked before he got the Yankees job, and so we have a very good relationship. During the season, we talked a little bit. I think we talked. We talked a little bit when we played him this summer. Haven't reached down in the postseason either way. So we'll catch up on Friday, though. It's gonna be exciting.
Speaker 9: And you guys ever talked about, you know, your big stolen base for the Red Sox and his big home run for the Yankees.
Speaker 8: You know what we don't because yeah, so I would probably give him a lot of grief if he brought up that homer to beat the Socks, and he would return the favor to me if I brought up the stolen base. So we don't talk about that very often, but I do think it's it's very cool that, you know, we played against each other in college and now you know college rights and then now you know, you could just see that this rivalry with you know, the Dodgers and the Yankees, it's pretty specially goes way back, and so now we're doing it again, you know, opposing one another. So it's a pretty good story.
Speaker 9: That was thirty plus years ago that you and Aaron competed against each other in college. You were both I think nineteen years old when with the first time you got UCLA and USC played. What do you remember about those games? And were you friends off the field or didn't Bruins and Trojans mingle back then?
Speaker 8: Now, we weren't friends. I think at that point in time, I didn't care too much for him. I don't think he cared too much for me, and I do recall they probably got the best of us back in the day, so I probably enhanced my distaste for him and the Trojans. But he was always the heck of a ballplayer. You knew, I mean we played against each other and in the big leagues, and so he was always a smart baseball player, obviously a great pedigree, so you knew he was going to be in the game for a long time and just could be more excited for him.
Speaker 3: If we didn't need any more storylines for this World Series Dodgers Yankees, yet another one Aaron Boone Dave Roberts, going back to nineteen ninety two when they played against each other UCLA and USC and now both managers for the Dodgers and Yankees. This is unreal how these things lining up.
Speaker 1: Kind of a neat too, is you can kind of see these things way back and they fester into both being managers. You could see that with Mike Soosha, you could see that with a bunch of different guys. Corey Lavallo, you know, he's another guy that you could tell that just had that aptitude to become something bigger once the game was over and become something like a manager. And that's what happened with these two guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is unbelievable to see the two of them at the stage that they're at now. And not only are they talking about the history between the two and now the bigger conversation is which one of these managers needs to win this World Series more to save their job?
Speaker 1: I mean, do you really think their jobs on the line if they don't win it.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the narrative is I mean, one of these is going to lose their job if they don't win, because this means so much.
Speaker 1: I just don't think that's fair. I gotta tell you, I know it's, you know, win the World Series or go home gets bust. I get it. I understand the mentality but to fire somebody to lose their job with all the great things. Dave Roberts with ninety eight wins, the best team in baseball. Now he gets past the Padres, probably the best team in postseason besides the Dodgers. I think now he's in the World Series. If they don't win, his job's gone. I don't think that's right at all.
Speaker 3: No, I saw a whole question.
Speaker 1: I know you don't, Tim, I can't believe that from.
Speaker 3: Some riders saying which manager needs to win this World Series more to keep their job? And they were debating whether it was Aaron Boone or Dave Roberts. And in New York, certainly they think Aaron Boone needs to do something because he hasn't won a World Series and hasn't gotten to a World Series since taking over as manager in twenty eighteen. So I would say he needs this more than anybody Dave Roberts for what he's done. I mean, they shouldn't even be a question in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Well, look, yeah, when they say you know who needs to win this more and who's gonna lose your job? Well I guarantee one thing. Dave Roberts and Aaron Boone. They're not gonna be swinging the bat, pitching, running, fielding, doing anything. So this this whole thing, you're gonna can the guy. If they don't win, they're not they're not playing. All they can do is manage a team. All the officionados in baseball knows that anything can happen. You could have the Pittsburgh Pirates, put them supplant the Pittsburgh Pirates now for for the Los Angeles Dodgers, and you know what, they probably wouldn't, but it wouldn't be unheard of for the Pittsburgh Pirates to beat the Yankees in seven games could very well happen. So baseball is so unpredictable to can a guy and lose the job over everything that Aaron Boone and Dave Roberts have done great to manage these two teams, which is not easy. I just think that would be crazy wrong to do.
Speaker 3: If either one of these managers was managing the Pittsburgh Pirates and got them to a World they would.
Speaker 1: Be in last place.
Speaker 3: They'd have a statue built right off the clementing Hey in Pittsburgh David World Series.
Speaker 1: They would both finish. No, the Pirates would finish right where they finished this year. If both of those, either of those guys manage his team, Yeah, the Pirates would finish right where they did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt about it. They're not going anywhere if not the seller. Eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number we'll get to your phone calls coming up. We'll also hear from Steve Jaeger. But on the other side of the break, have your phone on you. If you were one of the hundreds that were out at Hollywood Park Casino yesterday that signed up, have your phone ready because we're gonna draw a winner during the break and they're gonna give you that winner's name and phone number, and then I'm gonna call you on the air. Oh, so have your phone on be ready to get a call. If you were out there and one of the hundreds that signed up up yesterday for a chance to win tickets to Game one in the World Series. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number. But be listening. Next we come back. One lucky winners going to Game one in the World Series here on Anfi seventy Ela Sports