Speaker 1: KFI AM six. You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand on the iHeartRadio app. We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And speaking of life, we're coming to you from the Anaheim White House on the occasion Apostathon. It is the greatest day I think in the year at KFI. I am always in awe of your collective generosity. How you are able to come together each and every year and help feed children in the thousands every single week. Now, we know that Katerina's Club would have been here without us, but it would not be the same without you. So please, as we start this evening, put your hairs together for all that you've done to feed children each and every week. And I have an updated total of your collective generosity. As of seven pm, we have thirty two thousand, five hundred and forty five pounds of pasta and sauce. Yes, let's acknowledge that first. And now we have a sum total in donations of seven hundred and twenty one thousand, eight hundred and twenty dollars. Yes, sir, we are on our way, and I have to ask a very important question. Now, has everyone had a drink yet? All right, has everyone had two drinks yet? I see a couple of hands go up. Yes, it's official. The bar is now open. The bar is now open. Over the course of the evening, we're gonna be talking to a number of people from Spartan's final. We're gonna see Chef Bruno, who's gonna be joining us later on. And put your ans together for Chef Bruno. No, I don't know how he does it. I don't know how Producer Michelle, who's off to my right, does it. They've been here since maybe four thirty five in the morning, three a m. You might as well just say yesterday, because that's not today. Anytime you get somewhere at three in the morning, that's the night before, that's not the next day. And producer Michelle, she's been doing this longer than I've been here. This is kfi's fourteenth annual postathon. I think this is maybe my twelfth. I came to CAFI in twenty eleven, so I didn't have the benefit of seeing this from the very beginning, but I can say I've seen it grow tremendously over the years. And Michelle and I we'd have this conversation. It's like, Okay, I'm not gonna have any expectations. I'm not gonna put any pressure on myself. Are we gonna hit this landing? Are we gonna hit this goal? And each and every year she somehow, some way. And I say she because she's a person who is most instrumental in what you see and hear today. All of this is part of the brainchild of producer Michelle. She has been doing this since the very beginning. She is here before everyone else, and she will leave after everyone else. And there's something else. I'm always very appreciative of Michelle because people don't know this, but Michelle is part of the reason why I am at KFI. She was the one who picked my resume out of the stack and called me in and sat me down and said, what does he you want to do? I said, I want to stay in radio, and then she gave me an opportunity as a part time producer working for four dollars an hour, and you know, looks I'm living the American dream. But part of this is why I'm so compelled to be part of it, because I know what it's like from year to year, how this event changes lives, feeds people, helps houses people. And I don't know if there's another singular event which you can say has this time of impact right where you are. As I go around the city and I listen to people to say, Hey, you're a Cafi pasta. Dona's coming up. Are you gonna be there? Yeah, I can't wait. I've already made my donation. They've gone to Spartan Final, or they've gone to Wendy's and made their donation there. It has become something which is bigger than all of us individually. And if there's anything that I'm most proud of in my professional work, it's not just working with CAFI. It's knowing that Cafi has had an outsized impact and importance on helping children. And I'm real big on helping children. You can go ahead and applaud that. You definitely can go ahead and applaud that. And it's not too late if you're on your way on the freeway right now. We have seats which are available for you if you want to come in and sit in and watch later with Mo Kelly. You also can go to Wildfork Foods locations in Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa Mission, Viejo and Laguna, Miguel, do your regular shopping and say KFI Pasta Thon at checkout, and fifteen percent of your total will be donated to the KFI Pasta Thon. You can plan your holiday meal at Wildforkfoods dot com, but that's today only until nine pm. And let's say you're out doing your holiday shopping. Well, why don't you just go ahead and stop at any Smart and Final store and donate any amount. No amount is too small, donate any amount at checkout through December eighth. It doesn't even have to be today. Also, I saw my friend Ed Garrigols. I know he's walking around here somewhere. First Happy birthday to him. But you can also go to any Wendy's restaurant in southern California and donate five dollars or more and get a coupon book looks just like this. Get a coupon book for Wendy's goodies through December eighth. And here's the best part for us grown folks. One hundred percent of your donation goes to Katerina's Club. There should be any any type of embarrassment or reservation. We are help kids, and I'm amazed now each and every year, you keep showing up. I watch you, I recognize your faces. I love all of you for coming out. I thank all of you for the donations that you make, and with great humility in my heart, I am overjoyed to see all of you and all that you've done. And we have some wonderful gifts that we're gonna be raffling off tonight. We have later with mo Kelly t shirts been given out later with mo Kelly key chains, also coffee mugs. We have this big ass basket that we're going to be raffling off. And also where are my country music fans? Do have any country music fans in the house? Well, I got something for you. We have an exclusive family four pack that we're given away to see. Well, I shouldn't tell you now I should just I should hold it back. Now I hold it back. Well, have you heard of Pam Tillis by chance? Have you heard of Lori Moore? By chance? Well, I'm talking about the Grits and Glamour Tour. We have a family four pack to give to you for a performance in two days at Lamarada Theater. So for my country music fans only if you're not a country music fan, I'm not talking to you, but for everyone else, we have a family four pack that we're gonna be giving away later on tonight. This is Later with Mo Kelly. Thank you for coming out to the Anaheim White House. It's postathon. We're gonna go up to a quick break and we're gonna set this thought. Put your hands together for Chef Bruno at Katarina's Club.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app coming to you live specifically from the Anaheim White House on the occasion of the fourteenth annual Pastathon. Gotta say hello and also thank you to some folks. We gotta say thank you to the Anaheim Hilton, but thank you to the beautiful Hilton Anaheim for our CAFI Pastathon crew accommodations. Hilton and Him is an ideal staycation destination located steps away from the Anaheim Convention Center and Disneyland Resort and undergoing a complete renovation to introduce a brand new restaurant, new bar and lounge, lux renovated guest rooms, a new pool, pool bar, and more. In twenty twenty five. Bookings can be made at Hilton Anaheimhotel dot com and it's not too late. Up until nine forty five tonight. You can go to KFIAM six forty dot com forward slash Pastathon for these exclusive auction items and experiences, including our experience where you can co host this show on a Friday evening, including name that movie called classic, and you will co host and co produce the whole show. Yes, you can give it up for that all three hours of the show. You can be a featured co host, participate in the show meeting, pick the topics that we talk about, have some fun on the air, and be on the number one news talk station in America, the number one streamed station on iHeartRadio app. You'll be heard the world over. All you need to do is go to KFI AM six forty dot com forward slash pasta than and I have to thank some other people. He couldn't be here tonight, and I often tease him, but back in the newsroom is an integral portion of our staff. He's doing the news from Burbank Mark Ronner. We all love Mark, but he couldn't be here tonight, so we wouldn't put your hands together. For Mark Ronner. You will be hearing him do the news. He just could not be here in person. And on the ones and twos our technical director Stefan Cabeza Stepan, we appreciate you even though you could not be here as well. And to my left is the producer of just about everything that I have done. The Tuala Sharp Twala was hustling in all these great prizes and gifts that we're going to be giving away in name of Pastathon. We have the big ass basket, the Holiday basket. That's what I'm calling it, the big Ass Holiday basket. Well it it's shape, never mind, it's We have later with Mo Kelly t shirts, we have key chains and also we have coffee mugs will be giving away during the break. But we're gonna make you work for that. We're gonna make you work for these other prices that we're raffling away, including tickets to Glamour and Grits. We're talking about Pam Tillists and Laurie Morgan who'll be appearing at Lamarada Theater in just two days on Thursday, December fifth. So much going on, and I know Tawalla's just getting in here, so I gonna give him a chance to set up. But how did just a show of hands? Did you hear of Katerina's Club first through KFI? So that okay, So just about every hand in the room went up. That speaks to the power in reach of KFI. Now, we all would like to be able to help you, but sometimes we don't know where to help children. We don't necessarily know where to go. But because of KFI, because of an event like this, And people may be listening right now in their car. They may be I don't know, at the gym or maybe at home, and they're listening to this broadcast. They may be hearing about Katerina's Club for the very first time, even though you might have heard it for the past thirteen years, fourteen years, I see some familiar faces. You may come every single year, but it grows because you told somebody, You let someone else know. Either let someone else know about KFI or you let someone know about Hey, there's this great event called Pastathon that CAFI does a live broadcast every single year. You can donate at smartan Final, you can donate at Wendy's. You can donate any number of places you can go to kfiam six forty dot com, Forward slash postathon. But it's because of not only KFI but your word of mouth. We don't do this without you. Now we enjoy doing it, and Michelle works very hard in putting the event on, but I'm quite sure she would agree we can't do this without you. Every single year you show up and it is all inspiring and it is amazing because you don't have to. I don't think that you're here from me. I'm glad that you are here, but you're not here for me. You're here for the kids. You're here for Chef Brudo. You are here for Katerina's Club, and that says far more about you. Because we live in a world today where it's a whole lot easier to do nothing. It is easier not to care. It is easier to just go about our way and buy our packages for our friends, our family, and not think about someone who has less than or could use just a little bit more. When I came here, I can't remember the exact number, but it was only a few thousand that Chef Bruno was feeding each week, just a few thousand. The broadcast was smaller too, and it's grown now to twenty five thousand children every single week. And also people are being rehoused as well, families together. That growth is something that I couldn't have seen. And I don't know how Chef Bruno does it. I honestly don't know. Now he's gonna tell the story before the night is through, and he's been telling the story all day long. But I don't know how he does it. I don't know why he does it. In other words, where does that fire come from? We all care, but how many are putting in that type of work, how many are rolling up their sleeves and making sure that people have a place to stay, people have food to eat, and people have hope for tomorrow to walla sharp thank you for joining me. I know you were fighting traffic, and you seem like you were losing the traffic I was. It was horrific.
Speaker 3: And not listen to ways when Waves tells you take this shortcut. I did that, and I Waves has no idea what the streets actually looks like. It was god awful the entire way in. And when I got on the road, I said to myself, good, I'm making great time, and then I heard on KFI something or another there's a shutdown on the fire. I was like, oh my god, all my life, what is happening right now? But I am thankful to make it here. I love seeing you all here, especially knowing that this broadcast has been going all day long and to still have this crowd here at this night. Give it up for yourselves because this is a testament to what we are doing here tonight.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you being here with us. A part of accomplishing that goal is supporting the auction items. I told you about the auction item for a Lady with Mo Kelly, but there are other opportunities which are available for you. And I always say, if it's not me, let it be someone else. If it's not gonna be our experience, you choose someone else's experience, because it's all going to the same place. We're all here for the same goal. My ego is not in this. If we raise one hundred thousand dollars right here tonight during these three hours, but we do it earlier today when we get over the two million dollar mark. I'm just putting that out there. If we get over there, the two million dollar Mark. We all get there together. It doesn't matter how we get there. You can Also there's an experience where you can co host an hour of the John Coblt Show. John hates the idea, I promise you he hates the idea, but we at CAF we love it. You can co host an hour with John Cobalt. You'll pick the topics and you'll get to rent with John about issues of the day. Just make sure you drink enough caffee to keep up with him. Also, you can go to a Dodger game with Gary and Shannon. You can join Gary and Shannon for a Dodger game. I don't know if Gary will enjoy that as a Giants fan, but he'll be there. You and a guest will meet Gary and Shannon at Dodger Stadium to take in a game in a luxury suite. Unlimited Dodger dogs and other snacks and drinks. Beer included if you like to drink, and preferred parking is included. Game to be determined once they coordinated day yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah blah. You also go to a Kings game with Tim Conway Junior. You might have heard he was talking about it. Earlier this evening, Ding Dong. With this auction item, the winner will win two tickets to the LA Kings game against the Boston Bruins on March twenty third at six pm with Tim Conway Junior and some guy named Keith. Well that's what it says. It says some extraly says some dude named Keith. I just call him a guy. You and a friend will join Conway and Keith and seats in the lower bowl right next to where the zamboni comes out. I don't know if you can beat that. You know, Tim Conway Junior, he knows hockey like I love hockey. That's probably a great experience. We're going to tell you about more of these exclusive experiences and attractions and gifts. Thinks that you can win. If you should be the highest bidder, you can go right now to KFIM six forty dot com forward slash pastathon and make your bid. You have until nine to forty five tonight. So I understand some of you might have a strategy. Some of you want to lay out in the weeds and you want to push up the costs of the auction item, so you wait to the end. But the problem is you might get forced out if you wait too long. So I know you have to There's a delicate dance, but don't wait too long. It's available for you right now. This is Later with Mo Kelly and this is Postathon.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: This Letter with Mo Kelly, come at you live from Pastathon at the Anaheim White House. It's not too late for you to come down and see us. We got some seats that are open, and we have a bar that's open cash bar. You got to pay your own tab. But we're here for a great cause. And along those lines. Joining me right now on the show is Tammy McClary, who is Smart and Final district manager. Kevin, It's good to see you this evening. How are you.
Speaker 4: Great to see you, Mo and really happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Is it true that your district managed for like all two hundred and fifty five stores? No, how many, how many.
Speaker 4: I'm in Orange County twenty two stores.
Speaker 1: Twenty two is enough is enough? And for the past nine years. Obviously you know a little something about Postathon and this growing relationship with Smart and Final. What was the first time or do you remember the first time you heard about Postathon and thought, might this might be a good relationship.
Speaker 5: It was about seven years ago and it's just gotten better each year, and we're really really proud to be part of it.
Speaker 1: When you first saw let's say Postathon and it's i'll say it's signage in stores, I'm quite sure you receive some feedback from people who might have come up and said something or asked something. What were you hearing from people about Postathon?
Speaker 5: Well, customers wanted to know what it was all about out and what we explain is we're helping feed hungry children, and each year we feed more and more kids within our community.
Speaker 1: Have you had a chance to meet with Chef Bruno and talk with him and see not only is he a larger than life individual, he actually cares about everyone individually. How he remembers everyone's name, I have no idea, but he's a special individual. Have you had any time to like sit down with him.
Speaker 5: I've met him at each pastathon, and he's so humble about what he does and it's just a genuine gift that he gives the community and we're so proud to be part of it.
Speaker 1: Inside a Smart and Final. We obviously are working with Smart and Finals not just in Southern California, but in different states. What is the conversation like just within the corporate structure of Smart and Final do they know are they getting an idea of how this is making a real impact in Southern California?
Speaker 5: All our stores are cashiers share with each customer what the postathon's about and how we're helping children in need.
Speaker 1: When you are just going about your workday, I know you probably listen. Do you hear anything in the aisles as you're going from store to store? You see the signage, you know that pastathon is going on. You know this Spartan Final, it's playing its role. But what do you hear just just as you listen to people in the store. Obviously they're asking about Pastathon? But where does it go from there?
Speaker 5: Customers ask about it and they're just really thrilled that they can come to the store make a donation, no matter how small we can round up. It can be a dollar donation, five dollars, one hundred dollars, And I invite any customer into Smart and Final, particularly in our Orange County stores, where we look to break our record.
Speaker 4: Currently we're at three.
Speaker 5: Hundred and eighty one thousand, two hundred and eighty one dollars and.
Speaker 1: That's just the for Smart and Final.
Speaker 5: Donations Smart and Final, and we're really trying to break five hundred thousand. So we need as many customers in our stores as possible making donations.
Speaker 1: And I do have this correct that you can donate any amount at checkout through December eighth. It's not something which is going to end just tonight. They will have a few more days, not that we want them to wait, but they will have the option, if need be, to continue to donate throughout the end of the week through Sunday. Yep, do you have any inside information about how close going to get to that five hundred thousand? You have to look about you like to do something.
Speaker 4: I think we can do it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think she knows something I don't know about you, And people can't necessarily see your face, but there is a smile about you. There is a knowing smile that you know that this is going to change the direction and trajectory of children's lives. How does obviously it makes you feel good, but I want to hear it in your own words.
Speaker 5: Well, we've seen it grow firsthand year over year, and the first year I participated, cars were driving through and donating bags of pasta. And it's gotten so big. I think you mentioned earlier it was what a million dollars.
Speaker 1: So far we've we are at over seven hundred and twenty thousand dollars and that's just the donations, not the pasta. But in previous years we've gone even higher, and we hope to tonight is well.
Speaker 5: It's incredible, incredible and helping so many children in the community.
Speaker 1: Well, McClary, I know that you have been with Smart and Final for nine years. You have been instrumental in Cafi's and Pastathon's presence within these stores, especially in Orange County. We are right in your backyard. So if you could just put your hands together for Tamy McClary for all the work that she has done, because we could not do it without her, and also the contributions of Smart and Final, and thank you for all that you have done. I know that you've been doing a lot of work behind the scenes that people may not see, but we thank you for coming out tonight. I know it's been a long day for you, long day for everyone, but it's the kids who will benefit the most. Thank you for coming out tonight.
Speaker 4: Thanks mom.
Speaker 1: It's Later with Mo Kelly. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. We'll probably give away some T shirts during the break, so you might as well drive on down here. You should be here right now at the Anaheim White House. We'll have more in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: It's pasithon twenty twenty four, the fourteenth annual. We're at the Anaheim White House. And as we move along, joining me right now our Genie and her daughter Jordan, who are with the NCL, the National Charity League of Orange Villa Park. They're helping to unload donations as people drive through and drop off and they've been both volunteering their time with Katarina's Club for many years. And let me just be clear, there's Genie and the daughter Jordan. Thank you both for coming on this evening. And Genie, let me start with you. How did you get involved first with the National Charity League.
Speaker 6: I started about when my oldest daughter was a senior in high school and she had a friend who was a junior and she was in the National Charity League and we were invited to their huge fashion show, which is a big fundraiser for NCL, and then from there we just learned about it. And the only time that we had was with my youngest daughter, Jordan, who we signed up to join NCL about three years ago, so we've been with NCL for three years.
Speaker 1: Jordan, I always wonder about a young person and how old are you? First? I'm fifteen, okay, fifteen, and you've been involved in charitable work for the better part of your life. Why what inspired you? What encouraged you to do it?
Speaker 7: I think it's mostly because of mom and I look up to her and she loves to get back to the community and I want to do that too, and I want to help people out and I think it's a really good thing too.
Speaker 1: Okay, then, Genie, how did you come across Katerina's Club and also pastathon which brings you here this evening?
Speaker 6: Wow, Katerina's Club and even the Anaheim White House. We've dined her way way long long time ago, and it was even before kids. Love the food, love Bruno, and love the mission that he's doing. In terms of what he's done for the area at Katerina's Club. So it wasn't until after I had kids that we decided to want to give back to the community by helping. And it was something that I've always learned in my life, was you know, giving people, helping people out, helping those in need of a helping hand. And when I saw the opportunity of all the wonderful things that Sir bruno Is has done, it was a no brainer. It was just an easy choice of we need to help out, you know, we need to do things. And I love teaching my kids. You know, we are so thankful with everything that we have, but there are a lot of people out there who doesn't have a lot. So it's important for me to teach my children to give back to others.
Speaker 1: I would say Jordan that what I've learned is working with charitable organizations or doing things wherever you are, that when you do with what you when you do what you can with what you have right where you are, it positively changes you. When you first were introduced to the National Charity League of Orange Villa Park, you are probably one person, but you're probably a very different person.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: How would you describe a change in who you are.
Speaker 7: I think I've definitely matured and learned, like better morals and like my views are really different than when I was a little younger, and now I feel like I am more respectful and oh, just a more well rounded person.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the person you are. How do you think that you will apply it to what you may want to do in life. Is this something that you would possibly consider doing professionally or beyond just your time right now? Even any thought to maybe like working for a charitable organization well into your adulthood.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: Oh it's okay, Well you are. You are obviously a very old soul. As we said, you've thought about these things in ways that most fifteen year olds. Now, I was a knucklehead, Okay, I hadn't thought about any of these things. You are far ahead of your peers, and so I know you can you can handle this, But most people don't think beyond the moment, and you've clearly thought about how this is has positively impacted you. Did you get a chance to speak to any of the people today that you were assisting today, What did you talk about? What did you hear?
Speaker 7: I will we talked about how like Bruno's mission and how it helps the people and helps all the kids and makes them smile a lot and it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when are you gonna get your first job? What do you think that'll be?
Speaker 7: Probably just like simple job, maybe at like a restaurant or a cafe, uh huh, and then from there I'll move on to bigger things.
Speaker 1: Because to accomplish marketing is college in your future? Yes, of course, excuse me, of course, Glad at KC of course.
Speaker 6: Okay, she's a freshman in high school right now, so we haven't only talked about what she really wants to do in college, but she's thinking about it. She is thinking, and I'm hoping that she would continue the you know, Bruno's mission and helping not only Katarina's Club, but any other organizations out there are that you know, that's something that I want to do instill in my kids, to make sure that they're out there helping other people throughout their lives.
Speaker 1: Well, I wouldn't say it's mutually exclusive. There's I would say, what your vocation is your job, and there's invocation is what you're meant to do. What you're put to do. And I get a sense that this might be Jordan You're invocation. But have you given any thought to possibly what you want to do is your vocation, as your job is your profession.
Speaker 7: I'm still trying to think of something and trying to find that passion for what I want to do when I'm older, and I think that, yeah, still, there's so much out there that I really want to try and see if I like that and as a career, and I think that.
Speaker 4: This it will.
Speaker 1: You know, it's okay, you don't need to have all the answers. Yeah, I just like that you're actually even thinking about it, that you're considering it, that you're processing it. Remember, I was the knucklehead, Okay, you got time. I was the one who was playing video games and spartan off in class. And you're way beyond most people your age, and I am amazed and humbled at my word, your brilliance. I would say, Genie, you've done a wonderful job instilling some I would say, just some needed values in our younger folks today. What would you want for Jordan big picture? Because she may not be able to see beyond this moment, but I know you can't.
Speaker 6: Well, I've always told them, you know, I didn't have parents growing up. My lost my parents when I was seven. My mother I last when I was seven, and I lost my dad when I was twelve, So I didn't have parents helping me grow up. I did have my brothers and sisters. So right now, for my three daughters, Jordan being the youngest, I just want them to know that I'm always here for them, and I always want them to, you know, reach for the stars, you know, look, you know, make their dreams come true. And that's part of me as a mom is that I want to help make their dreams come true too, and part of that is teaching them to be a well rounded person, you know, being being humbled and at the same time being being very ambitious. I want them to be ambitious too. So a lot of that will bring us back to volunteering and helping, helping those in need of a helping hand. That has always been my big big I think one of my mottos is, you know, helping those in need of a helping hand because I've been given so much and you know, wanting to make sure that we give back to the community. And that's why I love Runo so much is because that's what he's doing, you know, in this community.
Speaker 1: Gee and Jordan, thank you for not only talking to talk, but walking the walk. Put your haird together for Genia and Jordan. They're with the NCL, the National Charity League of Orange Villa Park and they've been helping all night long unload donations as part of Katerina's Club and also Pastathon. Tonight, it's later with Mo Kelly. We have more. There's time for you to still come down. There's still time for you to bid on our auction items at CAFI AM six forty dot com, Forward Slash Pastathon and if you get down here now to walla Sharp will give you a chance to win some T shirts, some cool swag and also we're gonna give away this big ass basket. K if I am since forty we're live everywhere the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening so Later with Moe Kelly. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty seven pm to ten pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app