Speaker 1: Imagine and time meant for family bonding, basking in the warmth of the August sun and enjoying each other's company. Well, in nineteen eighty two, a family of six was enjoying just that. But for them, what should have been a joyous occasion turned into the ultimate nightmare when a seventh shadow, uninvited and threatening, emerged from the depths of the woods during their camping vacation. This is the chilling tale of a family's disappearance amidst the wilderness of Wells Gray Provincial Park. I'm Nicole, my name's Ben, and this is Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Daring podcast listener question that cheers, cheers. We're drinking some good wine today. M h from what was it?
Speaker 1: Gray Monk? Are you going to read the label again?
Speaker 2: Sure? Will? This is not sponsored not sponsored by Gray Monk's twenty twenty Pinot Noir. It's from the BCVQ a Okanagan Valleys.
Speaker 1: Dang good, delicious and nutritious. My friends so good. Yes, I was compiling a list. I was like, what do we have to chat about?
Speaker 2: What do we have to chat It's like, did you.
Speaker 1: Put ice cream on the grocery list. Yeah, well really that is like you know right up there, Yes it is. You need some motherfucking ice cream? Now, well you actually had some and I ate it. I'm obsessed with ice cream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: Did you look for that night it was gone?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh shit, sorry, I.
Speaker 2: Was well aware you're obsessed with ice creb and you ate it all. Thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so good. Okay. So we have some patrons to think we do, and then we also have I'm doing this case yay wow, then get some breaks like I think the last one I did, dude, was like in December. Wow, that's bad. I apologize it's.
Speaker 2: Been a while. Yeah. Sorry, Yeah, singing some creed right now. But instead of singing creed, I'm going to go ahead and thank the patrons. How's that that would be wonderful? Okay. So we have two amazing people who joined us over on Patreon this week. We have Crystal Burbridge and Ashley Parks. Thank you once. We appreciate you, guys. Yeah, it means a lot for joining us over there.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: If you guys want to join Patreon links down below get behind the scenes. They just helped us name one of our chickens. They did you get exclusive content? It's fantastic. We did a pre show before this this episode, and they're getting that too. Drop some bombs in there, you know, thanks exactly dropping some good heads up information. We just dropped a couple of big ones in there.
Speaker 1: We did, we did, so, okay, so should we just dive right in. I'm like, antsie.
Speaker 2: Pantsy, Now, I guess you're running the show. You got you got the episode.
Speaker 1: I know I haven't. You know I'm going to be rusty, Like it's I'm just I might be a bit rusty, But I also know this freaking case like the back of my hand.
Speaker 2: That's good, that's good. I feel like I'm like the jury right now. I'm just watching the prosecutor taking this like taking the floor, addressing the court room, and I'm just like, okay, what's going on.
Speaker 1: I know we've switched roles. It's a bit I like it weird.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: I'll be nice. I will be nice. This is a two parter. But I'm pretty sure that I've said I said earlier in another episode that the next case I do is most likely going to be a two parter.
Speaker 2: Well, you had read in a book for this watch multiple documentaries, yes, not to mention articles in and out and through and through.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I was going to squeeze it all into one, and I was like, you know what.
Speaker 2: No, sometimes it's nice to do those deep dives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I want to spend a smidge more time on part two, so you know, it allows.
Speaker 2: For that respectable respectable.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go here, let's go. You ready for this? Yeah? You ever been asked that sort of question for a while.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't. Kind of caught me off guard if I'm honest. Oh yes, I am. Go for it, do it?
Speaker 1: Okay. It was to be a glorious two week camping vacation in Wells Gray Provincial Park. This is one of British Columbia's largest and most rugged recreational areas. It's in our province, which is very exciting. I just have to throw that out there. The park itself covers just over fifty four hundred square kilometers or one point three mile sorry, one point three million acres, and has something to offer for almost every outdoor enthusiast. It's a place we need to visit.
Speaker 2: Sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: So Bob Johnson, his wife Jackcki, who he'd been married to for twenty one years and their two daughters. They had a daughter named Janet who was thirteen, and a daughter named Karen, who was eleven. They left their home on August second, nineteen eighty two, with the intention of meeting up with Jackie's retired parents, George and Edith Bentley. The Bentleys, who were both in their late sixties, were avid campers and had actually recently just purchased a new truck and camper for their adventures. Okay, so you know all live in that retired life like that is? That is the dream, I think.
Speaker 2: The dream that we all dream of, you know. Yeah, just having that freedom.
Speaker 1: Getting yourself some new toys, spending time with your kids, your family, you know, getting.
Speaker 2: Drunk out in the provincial park with your new truck and camper shown by the lake and water.
Speaker 1: That's Ben's id, I guessa of retirement phenomenally. I feel like you do that now.
Speaker 2: I do that at home. If I already retired, I could do it out of the home.
Speaker 1: There you go, Yeah, and then I would do it in a home. See the progression works right, yeah? Okay, So for the trip, they had also secured a ten foot aluminum boat that they fastened on the top of the camper. It was going to be a good time. They were a close knit family, three generations of compatible, loving individuals who wanted to enjoy the outdoors and just spend time together. So two weeks came and went, with the Johnson family set to return home to West Kelowna on August sixteenth, but Bob didn't report, didn't report for work as expected, And in twenty years he had never missed a day's work.
Speaker 2: Oh dang, that's dedication.
Speaker 1: Yes, he was a very very good employee. He even had a workplace injury where he lost a finger and he returned to work the very next day.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: So to say that this you know, him missing a you know, time at work without any contact, like it was very.
Speaker 2: Much swat of character, no kidding. Their employer must have thrown him a damn good pizza party for losing a finger. You'd hope, hey, one would hope they would better be more than a pizza party. But in today's age, and yeah, it's probably just a pizza.
Speaker 1: I can't remember what the company was, but it was like he was a sar so it would have been like a mill.
Speaker 2: Sar like a saw filer.
Speaker 1: I think it's just said sorrow. Is that it? I don't know. He worked in a mill.
Speaker 2: Of sorts mill. Okay, well I can relate.
Speaker 1: You can lose fingers in that sort of environment pretty easily, can't you.
Speaker 2: I've seen many because I worked in saw mills for over fifteen years. I've seen countless people missing digits as a result of working in sawmills.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is I couldn't imagine, and I would be one of those people that'd be like, I can't go to work for a pretty long time.
Speaker 2: I remember when I secured a job at one of the sawmills. During the interview, they're asking questions and everything that I got. I got the position, they hired me on the spot there, and then I went to shake everyone's hand and one of the guys interviewing me he was missing all the fingers on his hand. Wow to his for his first knuckle.
Speaker 1: Really did that make you kind of be like, uh, oh, what did I just do?
Speaker 2: No, because I had already been in malls for like five years, right, Okay, so I was already well aware of people missing fingers stuff. It was just every finger on the same half was gone.
Speaker 1: I was like, wow, gosh, that would have been brutal. Yeah, okay, So on August twenty third, after missing work, so he missed work for an additional week, Bob's boss filed a missing person's complaint to the RCMP. You know, he was like a well liked guy. They were probably just giving him the benefit of the doubt or something, right, but eventually like enough's enough. The report was passed on to Sergeant Frank Baruda of Clearwater Detachment, who went about making several local inquiries, but unfortunately he came back empty handed. The families were then put in the system as missing persons. It was August sixth that was actually the last time anyone had been in contact with any of the family members. Edith had contacted their other daughter, Sharon from the Chamber of Commerce telephone in Clearwater, BC to check in. She let her know that they were having a great time camping and would be going to meet the Johnson's and Wells Gray Provincial Park. Little did anyone think this would be the last time they'd hear from either family. Day Brian Bentley, So that's George and Edith, Edith's other son. They had three children, in total and his wife Linda, who I imagine were worried for and sick. They circulated their family's photos in the area between Clearwater and Belmont. Among some of the first reports to come in was one from a gas station attendant east of Clearwater. We're calling seeing George and Jackie and the two children while they were filling up their car with gas. George had asked if they knew of any good areas to do berry picking in the area. It was promising lead because it showed that both families did in fact make it to the area of Wells Gray Provincial Park, and this led to a massive search of that area.
Speaker 2: Well that's a massive provincial park though, that's going to be a major key factor here in this park in this case.
Speaker 1: But at least if they knew that they arrived to the destination.
Speaker 2: Which that's it's definitely a good thing. Yeah, I don't know if you're if you know, but you know, where in the park they were supposed to have been, Like, were they supposed to be at a specific lake or campsite?
Speaker 1: No, I don't even think that was they something I had read they kind of liked to camp in, like more rugged kind of off the beaten path place, gotcha, So that for this investigation is not helpful whatsoever.
Speaker 2: And this is in the early eighties. Yeah, so there's not a whole lot of provincial campsites that are can be like paved roads well maintained a lot of traffic. Yeah, so wow.
Speaker 1: The search was jointly led by Burruda, who I mentioned early earlier, and a staff sergeant, Norm Schaeffer, who was from Kamloops. The focus was on the park and involved police, parks personnel, private citizens clubs, and local pilots. The park was searched hirestly for any sign of the missing families, but they had no such luck and no clues were found. At this point, both Janet and Karen had missed the start of the school year and all the excitement that goes along with that. It wasn't until September thirteenth that an individual who was out picking mushrooms during the last week of August contacted the police, believing that he had seen the Johnson's vehicle. He reported that he'd been in the Battle Mountain Road area, which is within the Wells Green Provincial Park, where he came across a burnt out Chrysler similar to the one belonging to the Johnson family. So once Burruda got word of this, he and Constable Mike Glass drove to the area to investigate. At the location that was described, they noticed what appeared to be tire tracks angling off into the bush, and barely visible from the road, lay the wreckage of a car, its outlying cast in a dull orange hue. Despite the difficulty in spotting it, they pressed on, drawing nearer to the wreck, which was about one hundred and fifty feet from the road. It's worth noting that this road was typically traveled only by horseback or like four by four vehicles, Oka, confirming that they were far from the usual paths within the park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're definitely going off the beaten path, if I mean, assuming they are driving their own vehicle in this area, differently, going down places people don't generally go, exactly trying to find that spot, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, upon closer inspection, they confirmed that the license plate was in fact a match. Surrounding the vehicle was scorched earth. Nothing remained untouched by the flames. Everything had been melted or warped beyond recognition. So they approached cautiously to take a peek inside the car, and when they did, the two froze in their tracks.
Speaker 2: Bodies.
Speaker 1: It was at this moment that the nature of the investigation shifted dramatically. What it initially seemed like, you know, could have been possibly an accident now demanded a thorough homicide investigation, and the area needed to be secured immediately.
Speaker 2: So bodies, well, Jesus just say it. I'm just like, come on, come on, what is it?
Speaker 1: What is it? So this is when Sergeant Michael Eastham got called who would lead the investigating RCMP officers, And he only gets called when there's bodies.
Speaker 2: Yes, there we go, Thank you bodies.
Speaker 1: He also wrote the book I Read on this case along with Ian McLeod, and it's titled The Seventh Shadow. So upon his arrival, east Ham went straight to work examining the burned out vehicle, and inside among the melted glass and metal was a horrible mess. The back seat of the car was filled with burned skeletal remains. The bodies had been literally cremated.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yes, it initially appeared to be two bodies, but a coroner on site was later able to determine he believed there was actually four bodies. It was absolutely shocking that what remained in the car's back seat amounted to four human adult bodies with one of the skulls appearing to have a bullet hole.
Speaker 2: Oh shit. Yeah, So there was how many individuals in this family? The two grandparents, parents, and two kids? So we have four adults, four adults?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and I am going to because you you kind of mentioned earlier, this is not like, this is not where they were camping. Okay, this vehicle is not found where they're camping. So when approaching the car, it's interesting because the investigator east Ham, he noticed that there was five keys dangling from the lock of the trunk of the car, and he like wondered, you know, what the fuck is in there, and realized, like, you know, I'm the one that's going to have to look in this in this trunk.
Speaker 2: I had a feeling when we were when I realized that two kids were missing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was now time to investigate why keys were dangling from the trunk of the car and they couldn't just open the trunk. I mean, this this vehicle was just like not in a good state seized up. Yeah, so they had to use a prim war to open it, and they got a shock of their life. They had hoped the trunk was, you know, maybe used to store the fuel and some sort of accelerant to make the fire burn so intensely, but instead, staring up at them were two little skulls, one of them looking straight at them. Damn, yeah, damn. Two vibrant young girls that were about Eastam's daughter's age, too, which would make it just that much worse.
Speaker 2: That would have hit him right in the gut.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just oh man, it almost like I know so much about the case, but even just reading it it makes me feel just so sad, like so sad.
Speaker 2: So well, I can't blame you. It's not like that's an easy piece of information to really digest for anyone, Yeah, let alone east Ham staring the skull down.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the whole atmosphere obviously changed once the trunk was open and the reality of the situation hit. One of the little skulls had a prominent hole over the left eye, looking like she had been shot in the back of the head, and this was the exit wound. They could only think, what kind of sick diluted coward would take a child's life, no shit, you know, two children's life, and then four adults too. Yeah, the whole family, three generations.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: Tracking dogs, helicopters, and all the manpower that RCMP could muster were employed in search for more evidence, including the Bentley's truck and camper, which were not at this site. What was discovered next was what the investigators felt was the murder site. A report from a park employee had come in who recalled seeing a truck and camper unit parked at the old Bear Creek prison site, which was still within the park. This was approximately twenty kilometers from where the burned out Johnson car was found. Here they located six twenty two caliber shell casings and some beer caps of the brand known to be enjoyed by Bob Johnson. Full bottles of the same beer were also discovered cooling in the nearby creek, which I just kind of love that he was using the creek to cool his beer. But it's also like, oh, man, you know, it seemed just so innocent, Like it's so innocent that they were just there chilling with family and on vacation. And yeah, also found were two sticks with sharp edges, thought to be used by Janet and Cairn for roast marshmallows.
Speaker 2: Oh fuck me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, they had the Johnson's vehicle and now the murder site, but they still needed to find more information. Yet to be found was the Bentley's truck and camper and a suspect. Over the next year, investigators pulled out all the stops to continue the search of what happened to these families. Researching this case, I honestly felt like the investigators team they actually did a like not all cases it seems like, you know, shit goes astray or whatever, but they did a really good job of investigating this.
Speaker 2: I feel like we've covered a few cases recently where they've pulled out all the stops. They didn't let go, didn't give up, and they pushed through and eventually they had results because of it. And so shout out to any authority figures, investigators, RCMP, police, who ever, shadow to you guys out there, who are the ones who are doing that, because that's what these victims need is someone like you to to find who the fuck did this and give them a voice totally.
Speaker 1: Well, because I imagine, like I just said, this has been going on for a whole year, and you would kind of lose hope and at some point, right, but it's like it's almost like they don't and they just keep powering through, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: So a massive aerial and ground search of the park was done.
Speaker 2: Sorry it was a joke, but it was water and land, not Aaron bad. Sorry, it was a terrible, terrible joke that honestly didn't even really line up. But I just still said it anyway.
Speaker 1: I was even like, how do I even swand this doesn't make no sense.
Speaker 2: The thought process was there? Give me that it was there. It was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're rusty at just you know, sitting back and I am sorry, truck bar, I don't know. They even went about constructing a nearly exact duplicate of the Bentley's truck and camper unit. Okay, no detail was spared, like they they found pretty well the exact truck, the exact camper. Even an aluminum boat was placed on top of the camper. I think they had motor at the back too of the camper, like a boat motor. So that was placed and they had it driven across the country and hopes that somebody would remember a similar vehicle and call in with a tit dang wow. Yes, there were a couple little easter eggs though, because they were getting a bunch, like they were getting so many calls. That was one thing that Eastman said that he really likes being able to use, you know, people to help with these sort of cases. And so there was two things in there that they altered just to see if witnesses you know, pointed those out or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so there's specifically changing things to see if people know it, yeah, which would point to if they're being falsified information or whatever. Totally love that idea, Like that's just smart. Take it's really smart thinking outside the box. It is.
Speaker 1: So there was more behind the reasoning to this. The police had received numerous sightings of a camper fitting the description of the Bentley's, driven by two French speaking males. The sightings indicated that the unit was heading east, and because the occupants spoke French, it was assumed the men were making their way to go back. They even got a call from an autobody mechanic in Windsor, Ontario, who saw the bulletins and contacted the police stating that a few months earlier, two French speaking males operating a vehicle identical to the missing Bentley truck approached him asking for a midnight paint job.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, Okay, that's suss as fuck. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we just, you know, can you just in the middle of the night just paint this truck? Do you know if they were if he approached the guy at the middle in the middle of the night, or were they like, hey, at midnight tonight, can you paint the truck?
Speaker 1: I'm not certain, but I know he didn't do it. He sent them somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Either way, that's suspect as fuck for sure.
Speaker 1: Because they were also asking how to dispose of a weapon, like a gun that's a twenty two caliber.
Speaker 2: Oh just so happens to be the same caliber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I mean that is common one, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Twenty two is very common, especially in any area where you're hunting twenty two caliber rifles or used for small game rabbit, grouse, etc. Yeah, so yeah, they're they're common. Any hunter growing up used the twenty two caliber. They probably have one laying around. But why are you going to just approach some auto body shop and be like, hey, can you paint my truck at midnight? Also, do you know how to get rid of a gun?
Speaker 1: Well? I think so. He was a little bit on the sketchy side himself as far as it seemed.
Speaker 2: Uh was he though, because he turned these guys away and reported them to the police he did. Maybe he was just rough around the edges.
Speaker 1: I don't know. So the witness was able to describe details too about the truck and camper that had never even been relieved really, which is so bizarre because unfortunately in the end this proved to be false. Really, and the investigators they heard some backlash from this endeavor of them, you know, like going across the Korean stuff. But they were just following leads and they had tons of leads that had spotted this. So I guess it was just like two French speaking, also sketchy people that had a very similar.
Speaker 2: Wow unit, I don't know, suspiciously wanted to dispose of a twenty two gun and get it painted at midnight.
Speaker 1: What did these two people do? You know?
Speaker 2: No kidding? Or or here here's a theory. What if these guys are driving the same looking vehicle happened to have a twenty two caliber rifle that you know they were hunting with earlier in the season or something like that or whatever, and they are now seeing these news bulletins and stuff, and it's like searching for these guys who stole this truck, Like, shit, did we do something? Like we didn't do anything, man, we got to get rid of this gun and change our truck. Is we didn't do shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like what if they just they're panicking?
Speaker 1: I know, because I mean people are going to have similar trucks and similar campers in like a country, right, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean even me, like I have a very distinctive looking truck. It is bright fucking orange. Yeah, but there's like three other trucks that are damn near identical.
Speaker 1: To mine in town. Yeah, I know, and like I'll pass them. I have to do a double takes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I get told that a lot from friends. They're like, oh, you know, I waved at you driving by this area.
Speaker 1: You're an asshole and you didn't wave bath.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I was at home all day yesterday. What are you talking about? That wasn't me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean there you go.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Sorry, I digress.
Speaker 1: That's okay. So Like I said, they were getting some backlash from this endeavor, but they were just following the leads, and they themselves said, can you really put a price a price day on the lives of six individuals? They were going to solve this case no matter what it took.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no props to them. I'm fully supporting them in their decision to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it wasn't just a few reports. It was many. So I mean like maybe if it was just one or two, they might not have but it was.
Speaker 2: Like a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean it did keep the mass murder in the public eye, which was a good thing. In total, the police received thirteen thousand tips regarding this case. What like it was? I mean the manpower that they would also have for that have to deal with that kind of amount of tick.
Speaker 2: How do you soar through thirteen thousand? How do you categorize and process that?
Speaker 1: I don't even early Wow. So, but I mean, like he never made it seem like that was bad or anything like he if that's what he wanted he wanted of course, you know, the help of the public and stuff. That's how he usually went about kind of solving his cases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I assumed he was. He was happy to have it issuit. That's a lot to do, that's a lot of work.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and it's people just genuinely wanting to help. I mean, there's probably the odd one that isn't, but yeah, that I just is overwhelming. It's overwhelming.
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: So Now, on October eighteenth, nineteen eighty three, this is about fourteen months after the Johnson's and Bentley's disappeared, east Em got a call from Sergeant Frank Beruda in Clearwater stating that he had two forestry workers with him, saying they found the burned remains of the Bentley truck and camper on Trophy Mountain.
Speaker 2: Okay, this was.
Speaker 1: Only twenty kilometers from the murder site and about thirty kilometers from where the Johnson's car was located. East Ham he couldn't believe it. They had spent so much time searching the area, like so much they had, you know, aerial searches like ground searches. They spent a lot of time searching this spot.
Speaker 2: Well. To play Devil's advocate in British Columbia, when you're looking at the boreal forest, if you're in the air, you can't see the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so dense.
Speaker 2: It's so dense, and when you're on the ground you can barely see twenty yards in front of you if you're lucky. It's again so dense, not only dense, the topographical the up, the down, the left, the right, it's inset. You can't imagine unless you've experienced it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. It is next level. But there was also another reason. So upon his arrival back to Wells grape Vinchal Park, it did make sense because the truck, like I said, it was also burned. It was the exact same color of the earth that it was surrounding it. It looked like it had been there for fifty years resting away.
Speaker 2: I also like how you just let me go off in that rant about like the boreal forest is so thick, and you're like, yep, yep. Also there's another reason, thanks that is.
Speaker 1: I think that's so a reason. Oh yeah, because it being like in our forest if you're up in you know, a plane, like you can't really see through the trees.
Speaker 2: That well, no, you can't now like to have something that's going to look like it's been there for fifty years at first glance, it's probably just gonna look like an upturned stump for pile of dirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and something too that just came back to me. There had been a forest fire or something in that area not long ago, so like that would just blend rate in as well.
Speaker 2: No kidding, it's going to be a bunch of scorched stumps and trees and stuff like that lasts a long time, that leaves mark for.
Speaker 1: So this was also very high up the mountain. Eastam thought that he was going. In his book, he mentioned like he's going to get a fucking nosebleed from being so high this mountain from the altitude, but like it was, Yeah, I mean, it makes sense that it wasn't found When you think about it, it was pretty obvious that whoever drove the truck all the way up to the spot had been a local with knowledge of the area. Though definitely had the truck not high centered on a log, it would have been driven off a huge cannon at the end of the trail. And when cannon, sorry, canyon, canyon, canyon, what did I say? Cannon cannon, like a huge cannon, canyon canyon. Sorry. I was getting real into it and getting tongue tied. Sorry, so it would have been driven off of there, and if it did, it would never ever have been found again. Yeah, so he knew what he was doing.
Speaker 2: Neither would have the person driving it. They would never would have been found unless.
Speaker 1: They could have just like put something on the gat on the gas pedal and let it go off the cliff.
Speaker 2: Which probably would have been a better idea than what he did, clearly because it would have never have been found and that probably would have played to his benefit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he got stuck.
Speaker 2: Oh, he got stuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was high centered on a long Oh.
Speaker 2: I thought you said had he not been highed, had he not? It's okay, sorry, I see what you said now, But I thought you were saying because he had knowledge, he did not get high centered, and he logs and made his way up this trail where he didn't even fall off into a cannon.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, he did get high centered, and for that, I mean they were able to find this.
Speaker 2: I see. Okay, that makes that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, No, that could be in mine bad to. I was like getting too excited here.
Speaker 2: I got threw off with the cannon. I'm like, where's the cannon.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Okay, so their focus was once again brought back to the clear Water area and with in weeks, investigators had several leads that pointed to a local man and his name was David Shearing. One informant called in after hearing a rumor that Shearing had run over a person out on the Wills Gray Park Highway a couple years back and he actually got away with it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Oddly enough, the same day that call came in, Yeah, one of the investigators was having lunch downtown when a waitress slid him a piece of paper with Shearing's name written on it. You know, I was like, this is a sketchy guy like me looking to him.
Speaker 2: Nudge nudge, wink wink.
Speaker 1: And then the next day during a door to door that was another thing they did. They went door to door like they had tons of people going and visiting everyone like girl scouts pretty well selling cookie situation, but it wasn't selling cookie. Yes, So Shearing's name came up once again when a woman said to her husband, aren't you going to tell them about what Dave's sheer said about reregistering that truck with the bullet hole in the door just like yells this to her husband who's at the at the door with like a police officer, and then he just like sideizes her, and it's like the fuck.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, because clearly he was gonna keep it hush hush.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But thankfully I could just picture it.
Speaker 2: A wow, ain't you gonna tell him about that bullet hole truck? He was gonna reregister.
Speaker 1: Shut up, Debby, you know like it is. You can literally picture it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I picture it.
Speaker 1: But thankfully that officer just like kept cool like he didn't hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he pretended like he didn't hear it, right, Like it.
Speaker 1: Was just like not gonna register with him, so that, you know, this guy wouldn't like alert Dave sharing or whatever. So David Shearing, who lived a couple miles from the alleged murder scene at the time of the murders, was twenty three years old.
Speaker 2: Dang, he's young.
Speaker 1: Yes. Despite his unpleasant reputation and criminal record, David came from a respectable family. Unlike many of the backgrounds of individuals we often cover. His father, who passed away only about four months before the murders, had once been a prison guard, and his brother a sheriff. He had previously been arrested for assault, drinking and driving, and drug possession. Up until his recent move to Tumblr Ridge from work for work, David had lived in the area all of his life and would have been very familiar with the park and roads, back roads or whatever and something. I did have this in here, but it's not anymore. He had actually graduated from high school and everything, and even had like a little bit of post secondary education I believe in like mechanics or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, which honestly at that time is like it's.
Speaker 1: Pretty u so, like, I mean, his background was no, nothing to like really be alarmed about or like, oh you know, that kind of makes sense, I guess.
Speaker 2: So whatever, he's not out torturing animals or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this was now November sixteenth, and Eastham got on the phone with Constable Ron Jerman, who had he had previously worked with and who he knew was currently in like working in tumblr Ridge as an officer. And just for reference, Tumblr Ridge is about ten hours or so drive from Clearwater, so it wasn't like they could just hastily drive them there themselves, right.
Speaker 2: They also have dinosaur footprints and tumblet Ridge.
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've been there. I've seen them. You can go there and they ask you not to touch them because I mean it could have road and damage over time.
Speaker 1: Right, totally.
Speaker 2: You can like literally like have your hand like in a dinosaur footprint in the ground just off the side of the road.
Speaker 1: I know I haven't been. I would really like to one day.
Speaker 2: Well you should, I should.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is how their conversation went.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that was just an interesting It was very We just go ahead, though.
Speaker 1: So he goes, Ron, it's Mike Eastam here, Mike, Ron beamed. I guess you're pretty busy with that family murder case. Look, I've got a bit of a weird duck up here. He said. He used to live in Clearwater, and I figured I could ask him some questions if he wanted me to. His name's David William Shearing. Eastam's heart skipped a beat because he hadn't even fucking said the name of the guy yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, Ron, we're looking at him right now as a possible suspect. Cheering was continuing to get in trouble in tumblr Ridge and actually had an upcoming court date on the Monday for possession of stolen stolen property or something. German said he'd continue to keep an eye on Cheering until they arrived to conduct an interview. And that's where we're stalking part one. Of course, I know it is such a dick spot to stop, so I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: I honestly almost forgot that it was gonna be a two part thing. I was just like, we're getting through.
Speaker 1: This, and yeah, there is a lot more to this story. Okay, okay, so that's part one.
Speaker 2: You've done it. Just do that to us, didn't you?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: Wow? Yeah, thanks, you're welcome. Now we have to wait a whole week for part two. Thanks appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I know. I know I was there. I was like, okay, I'm gonna stop it there. But I'm going to get in some shit for stopping it there. But that is just that is just the natural spot to stop. So I do apologize, but I don't apologize. Sorry.
Speaker 2: Not Sorrysha Sory, not sorry. Wow, Okay, David sounds like a douchebag though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys are definitely going to want to turn tune into part two because it is a fucking roller coaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, up and down, left and right and twisting around and upside down, all down to be honest, just all down. Okay, okay, all right, ye what you're doing here? Yeah, I'm in for it. I'm in for it.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that's that's you caught my attention.
Speaker 1: You're going to be able to to wait a week.
Speaker 2: I might have to read this book and in the meantime just catch up in the middle. What was the book called? Again?
Speaker 1: One day, I'm just gonna like be trying to find my book and you'll have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be curled up in the couch.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I had it. Seventh something, seventh shadow, seventh shadow. Okay, yeah, the seventh Shadow.
Speaker 2: Okay. I might want to read that after this case or before part two. I don't know. We'll find out.
Speaker 1: It is very good there, Like there is a lot in and about, you know, him just being an investigator and you know, like referencing other little cases or his life or whatever.
Speaker 2: His experience and point of view.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's been an investigator for a long time. He's now tired, but which I think is why he can write this book, because he's not like an act of Yeah. Still in the force. But yeah, it is the first half it was harder to get through. But then the but I always find books sometimes are hard to get you know, get started in, but then you know, halfway through whatever, I was like, okay, I think that's when I read the half in one day or one evening or whatever, because I was like, okay, yeah, like I'm at the point I can put this down.
Speaker 2: So I understand what you say though, with the book like being hard to start, it's the same with with books, with TV shows, with movies, you name it because you're not invested in the story or the characters or whoever yet. Yeah, and once you get past that point of investment in it, in the story of what's being told or what's happening, then it's okay, you know, I want to see how this person reacts or how this develops, and oh my god, like David actually was also on this other guy's list, like if if howered to start a conversation, youah, this guy who potentially murdered people, because I don't know if he actually did or not. He was found in tumblr Ridge by some other cops for theft of property. Cool, no one's gonna care. But if we tell them all the stuff you just told us. Then you stop for fucking part two. They're gonna be pissed because they're invested. Yeah, and they're gonna want to hear it now. Can't they have to wait till next time?
Speaker 1: They're going to be pissed because they're invested. Wow, just throw me under the bus a little more, Why don't you? Oh?
Speaker 2: I can, I can keep going, trust me.
Speaker 1: Anyway. I've said this numerous times. There is not many things in life where we have to wait anymore, where you're like binge watchers whatever, right, And it's like that's good. It's good sometimes to have to go a week and anticipate something exciting in your life, to you know, come back next week and be like, oh man, yeah it's part two when I get to know what happened.
Speaker 2: You know, there's some people out there, and I'm not throwing them under the bus. You do you I do not judge it whatsoever. I'm just giving you another perspective here. There are some people out there who when they see that we are putting out a part one, they wait until part two is out to listen to them both back to back. Yeah, I can totally relate to that though, because they don't have like the will to, like, oh I gotta wait a whole week now. I'm sure they could if they wanted to, but like, who wants to?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it is hard, it's hard. And this story, the story sucks like it's super sad, it's super shitty. It just sucks. And yeah, it doesn't get any better, I guess, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Well, like you said, it's just downhill, yeah, roller coaster that just goes down. So yeah, thanks, good job so far though, thank you. Yeah, good job, good job. I'm liking it. I'm loving it. I can't wait for part two. Yeah, and until then, if you guys want to check out more of our social links like Patreon or Instagram or Facebook or YouTube. We have two YouTube channels when where we've logged and do some lifestyle tiny home stuff, and another one where you can actually watch the recordings of the podcast in visual form on camera. You can go do that too. Yeah, I've been doing his hand gesture every time I talk about the camera rolling and us like you can watch it. I always do the hand gesture because it just feels right, It feels right, natural.
Speaker 1: Natural, okay until next week.
Speaker 2: I wasn't even done. You could check all those things in the description of this podcast down below. Go ahead click on things. Thanks for listening, now go ahead.
Speaker 1: Are you done? Tatty Kathy?
Speaker 2: Sorry, I had a glass of wine and I want another, and I want to listen to part.
Speaker 1: Two, well until part two.
Speaker 2: Until part two, stay wicked.