Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Pink Shade. You guys, It's Thursday, and in this spot I like to talk about pop culture, and today I've got, in my opinion, the best host of all time, of all dating reality shows. It's my buddy Mark L. Wahlberg from Temptation Island.
Speaker 2: I see that you read major Dutch and just as I wrote it, so thank you very much. You're so sweet. It's great to see you again.
Speaker 1: You know, I love you so much, and I think you are wise beyond your years. You're not that much older than me, but.
Speaker 2: You know I'm wise. That equals my ears. I got so well.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you that I will tell you something very funny as we start. I know that this year when Love is Blind came on, which I also cover, and you know, it's a totally different show, right, and like you know, Nicko Vesa aren't like super involved or giving advice or anything like that. It's different. But the amount of people that called for you to jump in, they were like, please, can Mark ol Wahlberg jump in and help some of these some of.
Speaker 3: These Because my wife and I, Robby and I watched Love is Blind.
Speaker 2: We love it. Yeah, and we get pretty snarky on the couch or whatever like everybody.
Speaker 1: Course, of course, of course my heart.
Speaker 2: Was like I posted something jokingly saying, Netflix, any one hour with these boys at a bonfire. We need to talk, yes, yes, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah that Chris Man, I don't know. I don't know if he could take your your hard truths, your hard truth But I want to talk about this season to Temptation first and then I've got some questions for you. Okay, So all right, So this season on Temptation Iland, we covered it. We dropped all nine of our episod those at once. We'd like to do it like that, so if somebody does binge it, then they can come and listen to our recaps. I did it with Keisha. Now, Keisha is my co host for Temptation Island, and she had never watched it. I usually do it with Amy Archer, who also covers it on her show, and so Amy and I know everything. Keisha and I love covering things with somebody who's never seen it, so I can tell her this, and I can also tell her as we go, like ooh, like you don't know this is coming, you know. So we had four couples this season. We had Summitt and Kaylee. Yes, we had Colon Scarlett, Yes, Jack and Cheyenne, Mikey and Sydney. Now Some and Kaylee to me were the ones that there's always one couple that they have made a pact. We're not going to do anything to harm our relationship, but we're going to come together at the end. Okay, So they were They were that couple, which was shocking. Then we had col Scarlet. I recently found out Scarlett was on below deck.
Speaker 2: Yeah I found that out too. Yeah I did wild she was on long but she was on a little bit.
Speaker 1: So yeah, she was a deckhand or something. Now, when Jack and Cheyenne came on, did you sing Jack and Diane in your mind?
Speaker 3: Well, you can't not sing it in your head when you see them.
Speaker 1: Not one person ever mentioned it. I was like, is that because we're old?
Speaker 2: Because that's our generation that played at our prom, not theirs.
Speaker 1: Mikey and Sydney. Now, I got to say, we gave Mikey a very hard time, a very hard time, but towards the end we felt bad about giving her such a hard time.
Speaker 2: Look, we all are on a journey to learn who we are and especially when you're young, like Mikey, we may not have even begun to find out an authentic person who we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there were a lot of crocodile tears, but a lot of real emotion and whether it makes sense to the viewer watching it or not, or you get you can judge grow up man or whatever, they were real for him at whatever level, they were real. And I he's a sweet dude. Yeah, like that guy, he's you know, I don't know. Maybe I had a kind of kindred spirit that he's a he's a live event host. I kind of know that vibe. Yeah, I mean it breaks my My wife and I. We don't see the show until it drops, right, Yeah. So Robbie and I are on the couch watching it and there's this one interview with early on and Mike. He's talking, he's like good and then you just see him well up and start to cry.
Speaker 1: And every time, every time, like this guy can't do a stand up interview. He'll go like yeah something that he's like, excuse me, I don't like oh no. So we gave him a lot of shit, but then we were like at the end, We're like, I think he had a lot of growth at the end. I think I think he.
Speaker 2: I think he did everything he could to grow and he's continuing to do so. He's posted a lot about being in therapy. I talked to him briefly, you know, on DM and thinking about coming to LA. I told him he could stay in my house if he needs a place to day.
Speaker 1: Cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't ask my wife about that, but okay, yeah, I think maybe I'm blurring the lines of host and codependent and dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh my gosh. Well listen first reaction. So you see these couples, right, and you see them sitting there, they coming down the helicopters and all that stuff, which is just so cool.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. That was a crazy day.
Speaker 1: When you see Jack and Cheyenne and you see Jack's hair, I mean, mark Nasa. I have a twenty year old son, so I know that the hairstyles are fuzzy in the front like they do the thing like every generation's got there weird, that's right.
Speaker 2: All I looked at I was jealous. I'm like, that's a head of hair. That's a whole lot of hair.
Speaker 3: You could do anything you want with that for years to come.
Speaker 1: Could you get like a ruler and stick it all the way down. Like where did his head even start? I couldn't figure.
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: Believe it.
Speaker 2: But you know, again, content aside, I had an affection for Jack. He's a young guy, and there was this kind of a sweetness about him.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're all.
Speaker 2: Train wrecks in some form, you know.
Speaker 3: So there's that, But you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm I've gotten maudeling as I've gotten older on this show, but I kind of give everybody the benefit of the doubt. And every time I saw him, I was happy to see him, even with this giganticetta herapist.
Speaker 1: Day, you're like a baseball hat won't even fit on top.
Speaker 3: Of that, it's like a property you like on like a like an approach.
Speaker 2: Yes, like he's going to Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, so funny. Now, there always seems to be that one couple and I was trying to remember and you may remember it and maybe you don't, but there was this couple several seasons ago before it was on Netflix, and it was this gorgeous like former football player and then like this gorgeous model Julian and christ Okay, Julian was the guy he and then they got engaged at the end.
Speaker 3: And they're married and having a baby.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, just found out Mark. We still to this day make so much fun of it because if he was like in the pool and a girl came and sat by the pool, he would fling himself backwards onto and like beach whale himself on the other side of the pool. He was so like, not only am I not going to do anything to get me in trouble, I'm not even going to be seen with an arms distance of a woman. It was hilarious how far he would jump back from females. Yeah, and so none of these guys were really doing that, but someone in Kaylee shockingly did seem to be the ones that had sort of made that pact like no matter what, we're not gonna I think Colon Scarlett made that packed. But Scarlett got kind of woo woo with the mustache guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean, but Scarlett, she didn't do anything intimate other than conversation. This is the thing I talk about on the show at the very beginning. We always ask a question, what are your rules coming in? And then I kind of often give sort of a snide chuckle, and I'm like, you know, you all come in with this. But here's the thing about that is that it's one thing to set boundaries. I had this conversation with Cole. Some of it got cut out. I says, one thing to set boundaries, and I get that. But if if your whole purpose is to come here and show that you won't cheat, it's that's not that big of a thing to accomplish for three weeks.
Speaker 1: Right, So I mean it should it should not be a big thing to accomplish, right.
Speaker 3: It just isn't unless you want to do something.
Speaker 2: But to give an example of Julian from Seasons Past, here's a guy who wasn't going to do anything physical with anybody, but he did have intimate conversations with women trying to figure out his issues and stuff.
Speaker 1: He did end up making that friend that one girl that likes Hell I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So what I was saying to Cole at one point is that when at the final bonfire, he said everything he was supposed to say, and I was like, Cole, you've learned so much. I'm really proud of you, and and she was kind of like, I haven't you say that now? But I didn't see anything right, And I was saying to him, sometimes just respecting boundaries is limiting your experience. That maybe what she needed to see was you trying things, not physical things, but connection depth, saying about and so running the gauntlet of I'm not going to touch anybody, may not.
Speaker 3: I mean I support that.
Speaker 2: I think that's great, you know, being free here to your partner, but you also need to open up because just sitting in the corner and going I'm not playing.
Speaker 1: The game, right, that's what he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no growth out of that because it's not he's like I'm not going to talk. He really did that. I think actually he did do some work as much as he knew how to do, and he shared as much as he knew how to share.
Speaker 3: And I actually thought Cole came along way and I like that.
Speaker 1: Guy, no common old coal. So I did think. Also I liked that summit, like made friends with that girl Julianne. Now that girl Julianne, I think she's reality gold. I kept I was like wow, I kept staring at her like we were like wow, everything about her is so.
Speaker 2: Cute, so beautiful. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So hopefully and a right, really smart young woman.
Speaker 2: And but that's perfect example that Summit, you know, took a little bit of a chance to make a friendship, a deep friendship. It never really got to the place where he had to really be concerned. But I think that she served his purpose. Isn't learning more about himself?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: He also was really game, you know when we would talk.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I pointed out on several podcasts and I keep saying it and not to you know, fangirl all over Summit. But men usually defend their position. I do it all the time, So when called out, the natural tendency often is to defend their position, not own the responsibility of their part in it. Yeah, And at every turn when I would push on push back on Summit, he would go, god, I never looked at it that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I am highly intelligent.
Speaker 1: So I agree you're so right and that men will sort of like defend their position. But on this show, I think, especially see when you get to like the second bonfire, the first one, usually they kind of are puffing their chest up still, but on the second one, I think they've let their guards down, and it just seems like It always happens that the women get stronger and stronger and get these friendships with the men, and the men just seem to slowly crumble and are like, wait a minute. You know, they all just seem to be like, yes, the partying at night is super fun, let's have a phone party, let's let's get crazy and drunk. But in the daytime, when they sort of have to sit with it, they're like, that wasn't that great? I wish my girlfriend was here, You know it is. It is always interesting to see the women. I can sort of like expect their trajectory, but with the men, it is always shocking to see how they actually grow. And I think having somebody like you to talk to and you're so non judgmental and so nice, or somebody else like me might be like, man, get it together.
Speaker 3: Well, you know there are ways to say get it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, I have said often and will continue to say that I just don't know that judgment in any form, in any part of our lives serves anything other than making the judge er feel bigger and the judge feel less. Yes, doesn't really do anything right, and so it's a constans choice I make that I'm going to meet them where they are. I'm going to realize that there are decades between my age and experience in their agent ex experience, and rather than judge the choices they make, I ask questions. And so what happens often is that then they answer those questions. And when they hear themselves say stuff and I say it back to them, that's when I mean, that's how I learned stuff. When I did different workshops and seminars, they had you stand up and they make you say stuff, and you say stuff and they go you just said and then breaking on what you said, and You're like, I didn't even realize because what comes out of our mouth is not what's in our heart. That's that's the mask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: So I'm constantly telling people I don't listen to what you're saying. I listened to why you chose those words to say what you couldn't say.
Speaker 1: Oh, Mark, I wonder if you and I ever went out and had like drinks and dinner. By the end of it, would I come out just like feeling like a new person.
Speaker 2: No, you probably come out going That guy is just as messed up as every guy I've ever met. A good time and I'm open to that, by the way, if you ever want to do that. I know.
Speaker 1: I was talking to Patrick Hickey this week and he's like, what are you going out to La We gotta get together and we'll get Mark and we'll hang out in the backyard and all the things. I was like, okay, great. So every season they do something a little bit different on Temptation Island, like they brought in that like the Temptation Tent be Haven, okay, which I was like, these are these people so drunk that they didn't realize their microphones are on? But you know whatever. But this year they had the couples got to go to the other place and Spy.
Speaker 3: Didn't like it.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it either.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 1: I thought it was such an invasion of privacy.
Speaker 3: I didn't like it, Okay, I was that.
Speaker 1: My thought was, what were your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: I haven't really talked about this and I probably shouldn't say too much, but look, here's the thing that I think people don't realize. I think what happens is people project.
Speaker 3: On me that I'm running the show right right right.
Speaker 2: I picked the clips, I have ranged the dates. Yeah, all this stuff and just so that you guys are all aware, I've said it before. You know this, I'm the host. As a matter of fact, you would be shocked to learn how little involvement I have.
Speaker 1: When you show up in the Bonfire, you're seeing those clips for the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean sometimes I have an idea what's in them. Yeah, I'm not going to front and.
Speaker 2: Tell you I'm completely clueless, but I don't watch them on purpose so that I can say, let's watch it together.
Speaker 3: But when that idea came down, there were several different forms of that idea. One was the guys are going to go in and into the girls villa. The girls would be gone, but the guys would be there.
Speaker 2: Ugh, okay, And I looked at them and said, well, that's fraught with danger.
Speaker 1: But yes, I could kind of get behind.
Speaker 2: There's something to be learned by that. So in other words, if they if I could moderate it, yes, then one might say you get insight about who you're being by men who've had experience with your girls, friendship, sharing what you know, that kind of conversation. There could be growth out of that. I mean, that's a stres.
Speaker 1: Citty and talking city and talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you keep them from beating the shit out of each other, which yeah, by the way, I don't think ever would have happened.
Speaker 3: That said, the point is the whole show's extreme.
Speaker 2: If we're gonna sit here and go through the filter of is it true growth and things like that, I think true growth actually happens. But this is not the place, you know. I mean, it is designed to be a TV show, But I have to go through the filter of it is everything I'm doing? Can I literally stand ten toes in? There's something to be learned from this. So that concept of going and meeting the single man I wasn't so down with because I didn't think it was so necessary.
Speaker 3: But I could find a way to sell it, right, Okay, them going.
Speaker 2: And rummaging through each other's rooms, I got that that might be good TV. I couldn't figure out what the lesson might be from that.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it at all.
Speaker 2: And watching it, I maybe I was wrong, you know, maybe i'd take it too seriously. And look, I think my executive producers and the producers do a great job on our show. I think people would be surprised to see how little contriving goes on compared to what you think. And I think it's really difficult to make these things fresh every season. So I applaud my producers for making the show great. Yeah, and I get to say out loud how I feel about certain things and be honest about it. And the fact is I didn't particularly love that. I don't think it was as detrimental as I had feared it would be, but I didn't particularly think it was something I was down for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't like it. I mean, the only thing that was like cute about it I thought was like Someon and Kayley, who I really never thought were gonna make it at all. I thought it was sort of telling. And the fact that she went in his room and was like, Okay, well this looks like all his stuff is lined up, and then she was just like I love you, you know, into the ether, and he went into her room and kind of snuggled with her, you know thing under bed, and so that was that was cute. But the coal digging through but he had to dig through a suitcase under some clothes to find it. If it's just out, that's one thing, and he shouldn't have read it even if it was out. But for him to like unzip a suitcase and go through clothes to find something. I was like, eh, And then he read that journal and yeah, if I was her, i'd be like, well, I'm never at her point was so valid of if you will do this with a camera watching you, what would you do when we're at home.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, was a point made to me at one point when I was saying, hey, guys, this is feels, and they were like, you know they lived if they lived together, the journals out he could do the same thing at home, So I said, I kind of get that point. What I found interesting about that beat is that and it really kind of sucks for coal, but he was actually trying to show what he'd learned by being fully transparent at the final bonfire.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: The lesson I didn't get to impart on that is when we're fully transparent with things we have done seen, we also don't have an In other words, when you apologize for something you don't always get I forgive you. So we don't apologize for them, we apologize for us. We're not transparent for them, we're transparent for us. And we can't really control what the response would be unfortunately. The response was how could you possibly have done that, which most adults know. There are things you do and things you don't do. Diaries and journals are never a thing for two reasons. One, it's invasion of privacy too.
Speaker 1: You don't want to hear it right, yeahs written.
Speaker 2: In a journal is true to your soul, but it's not actually the truth. It's an emotional truth.
Speaker 1: So he felt at that moment when you're writing it down right.
Speaker 2: And that's the point of a journal is to get it out of your brain and on a paper where you can read it and go, okay, settle down.
Speaker 3: Sometimes no truth, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's what journals are for and to invade that privacy. And I don't really want to go into this more. Look, he learned his lesson. I think everybody watching it one of the lessons from a show standpoint. I feel like, yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Love it im to that end.
Speaker 2: If I were the producer of the show, you wouldn't want to watch it because I would pull all the punches. All the confrontation makes me uncomfortable. I just love one another to be happy, So you wouldn't want to watch the show. I produced. That's what.
Speaker 1: I've asked you this before and I can't remember the answer, so I was going to ask you again, do they have counselors or like mental health advisors on set if somebody really is having a moment and they need to Oh.
Speaker 2: Not, only do we have one. She was fantastic and I talked to her a lot to make sure we're cool. I'd like to have that conversation, and they they used her a lot. You don't see this, but the guys when they were grappling with stuff, especially after a bonfire, several times would there was like a rock they would go to to talk, and they would go out to the rock and kind of sit and work things out and get get what they needed.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think I think this goes.
Speaker 2: Way back in reality TV in general. I maybe speaking out of school, but I really think that most reality TV shows either legally must or have chosen to have sure onsite counseling, and quite honestly, everybody needs it, including those of us who work on the show, because it's highly dialed up and very emotional for even but not as much for me. I get to detach. It's deep for me, but I'm not in it Sleep Deprived twenty four to seven, and those producers are putting their souls into this thing, and so you know, yeah, they're there, and we got really lucky. We have a new person this year and she was amazing, amazing, So okay, yeah, there's a respon.
Speaker 1: That's good to know because you know, you see a bonfire. And there were several instances where Mikey got very upset, like we said, but there was one or two where Cheyenne just like lost her mind as anybody would, having to see what she was seeing, and she does the like walk off, and Sydney had also done like a walk off. And every so often you'll see you you'll get up and like you went to Cheyenne like it's okay, Like do you want to sit back down? And I'm wondering, you know, because obviously it's edited together. I'm wondering like this this situation was Chyanne getting up and saying, I want to leave if that lasts like fifteen minutes, and you got you know what I mean, or she was a.
Speaker 2: Pretty organic thing. I assume she got up. Is this real life? I can't I don't want to do this anymore. And I'm leaving. I let her walk for a minute. I didn't chase after her. Yeah, I didn't feel as right. But then she kind of stopped halfway up the walk and I went over and she says, I don't want to do this. I want to go home. I don't know. I can't remember what radon, what didn't. But my stance on this is always the same. And I said to her, you don't have to stay. My actual words that I say usually is I will help you pack. Let's go right down. This is not what this is about. Your mental health is more important than this silly TV show. But then I'll say, but the story is going to continue. You want to have a voice, and so if that matters to you, you know, I'd love to hear your side of it. Plus I try to remind especially the women, that whatever they're grappling with, whatever they're dealing with on the show, which is extreme, there are millions of women who are relating to them. Yeah, true, Often whatever growth they have, I get comments from women saying I learned so much from Cheyenne, I learned so much from Sydney, you know. And that's I'm not going to sit here and pretend that you know, we're doing God's work on the show.
Speaker 3: It's a crazy reality show, you.
Speaker 2: Know how I feel about that. But the truth is authenticity is authenticity and raw emotions, raw emotion, and those things happen even in a crazy professional wrestling kind of vibe of a TV show.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm the one saying this looks like a crazy show. It is a crazy show all of those things, but it gets real.
Speaker 2: I don't know why or how, but it does. So just be prepared. And so with Sydney and with Cheyenne, when they walked off, I went over and I said, look, you know, how can I support you? You know you want to go, We'll go. I will have somebody drive you back to the villain pack right now. But if you want to talk about it, if you feel comfortable talking about it, how do you want to talk about it? Can I? I say it kind of to Sydney, I'm like, how can I support you?
Speaker 1: Just?
Speaker 2: Can you hold my hand? I'm like, you know, so sweet. The only thing I wish I had done is when Mikey was breaking down, I should have not been so gender. I should have gone over and given him a hug, you know, and sat with him like a woman. You know, I'm a I'm a girl dad and that I get accused of this all the time, and they're not wrong. I am a little bit partial to the women's journey, a little bit rougher on the men, and I got to look at that next season because.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're I don't think you're rough enough on them. Well, you're a woman, and.
Speaker 2: Generationally have been pretty fucking toxic. So you know, I get it, and that's my stance. But in cases like when Mikey's really going through a hard time, whether we want him to man up or not, yeah, I think it would have. I could have been a little bit more gentle. I could have been a little bit more supportive to him, as I would have and did with the women. That's all I'm saying is, look, I'm constantly watching this stuff and seeing how I can do it better as well. And one of the things I said on Nick Bio's podcast, and I'll repeat it, is that I get a lot of people saying, you know, you give this great advice and you know so much blah blah blah, and I'm like, thank you. But what I try to tell people is these are things I know, these are things I'm grappling with. M So whatever I'm talking about is the advice I need to take as well. It's not that I haven't figured out, It's that i know how difficult it is, and I'm constantly trying to figure it out and be a better dude. Yeah, and so that comes from It's not from I've got this figured out. I'm the greatest husband that ever lived.
Speaker 1: Ha.
Speaker 2: I'm a train wreck often Robbie with a test to but I'm willing to take my responsibility and figure it out, you know. That's what That's the process for me, is like I'm seeing myself in all of these situations at different periods of my life and either sharing what I learned in those periods or what I'm grappling with today.
Speaker 1: It's just so it's so great. And so now I there is a reunion that I'm probably not going to watch. I want to watch a reunion hosted by you, and you don't have to comment on that, but do you know if Sydney and Xavier are still together?
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna watch the reunion because I don't know anything.
Speaker 2: Okay, Seriously, I keep in touch through DM a little bit, but it's mostly friendly hahas.
Speaker 3: And yeah, right for the.
Speaker 2: Show dropped, I hit everybody with are you ready? Are you good? You know it's gonna be a lot, and I just kind of like to say, hey, just remember it's a TV show. This ye heat and everybody's opinion is gonna last for a few weeks and then it's going to fade a little bit, so just yeah, keep your feet. But yeah, I don't really know. I could tell you what I'm not gonna tell you, but I have my assumptions, but you no, I'm gonna have to watch it and find out. Oh yeah, And I would love to host to the reunion, if I'm gonna be honest with you. Yeah, I wasn't asked to do it, and it's a double edge. I would have loved to host the reunion, but I don't like hosting reunions.
Speaker 1: But you're very good at it because you know the people, because you've gotten to know them and you know their stories, and so you would know, hey, six months later, one year later, let me see how this person has grown from the person I faced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean maybe.
Speaker 2: But really what it is is I'm just listening without judgment again, and when they tell me where they're at, I get to ask questions like, but how does that work with what you said? You know, things like that. So yeah, I like the way I do reunions, but the twenty people in a room is overwhelming for someone who suffers from codependent EmPATH you know. And so it's a lot. And whenever it starts blowing up, you know, I have an earpiece, I'm the one going everybody calm down, and they're staying in my ear neural let.
Speaker 1: Them go, let them go, Yeah, let them go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my general way of being. So it's one of those things where I don't love doing reunions, but I want to do my reunion, of course. And as a fan, I'm looking forward to seeing Nick because I want to hear how it worked out. I think I will be surprised.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well we'll go off of that topic because I have thoughts. But okay, now, how would how would you advise someone who says to you, hey, a temptation island just opened up their you know, applications. And my boyfriend and I have been together for a year, we're twenty four years old. What do you think do you think we should go on? Because one time he shouted on me when we were eighteen, and I'm still really hanging on to that. Do you think we should go on the show? What would you have?
Speaker 2: Anybody who mentions this to me because people constantly say, oh, well, I'm gonna bring my girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, here's my suggestion.
Speaker 2: Talk to each other around your kitchen table, uh huh, hire a licensed therapist, uh huh. Or talk to your clergy. All right, that's real life stuff. If you want to go on DV you know, let me just tell you that. If you think you're gonna come on and just kind of manage the situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some have.
Speaker 2: Tried, some have been relatively successful. That may have happened this season, But it gets real. It's gonna get real, and I don't know if you're ready for that smoke. So you know, it's one of these things where to if we're up to me to get on the island, you'd have to beg me to go, you know, not me. But if I were picking it, you have to beg me. I'd be the one saying, yeah, maybe this isn't the greatest idea for anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that said.
Speaker 2: Not to be a hypocrite, but you know, I've been known to be, you know, a little. On the other hand, on the other hand, the show's messy and crazy. I am always dumbfounded by both the couples and singles that after the show's over, in the year that follows for two years, the number of these people who then enter into another relationship that ends up being there forever relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, Yeah, that does happen.
Speaker 2: It does happen a lot.
Speaker 1: It does happen a lot.
Speaker 2: I think we are a part of that, but not the reason for that. I think what happens is what I've said all along, is that we think we know what it is to be in love every time we're in love, and every time that love breaks up or changes, we fall in love again and go, oh, that wasn't love. I now know that it's this, and it keeps elevating until we get to the one that lasts forever. Yeah, And I think I think that's everybody's process coming to the island, right, is this sort of less than full description of what a love healthy relationship is, and then after the island that gets dialed up even bigger like that. Some filters come off your eyes and you see things a little clearer. And then the next time in you're also a little older. You've had this experience under your belt. You are not, as you know, superficial about relationship. And maybe the show has been part of that conversation, and maybe life has been part of that conversation. But I'm always amazed that you know Hall and Hall, and I was.
Speaker 1: Just thinking of Hall and what's your name? The beautiful redheaded girl, so George.
Speaker 3: I can't believe I can't remember her name right now.
Speaker 1: I'm so embarrassed because no, they're still together.
Speaker 2: Engaged, getting married and.
Speaker 1: Christener, Caitlin or whatever the girl's name was.
Speaker 2: That was this girl that I was about the wedding, asked to officiated, couldn't go. They just got married. I had them both on my podcasts.
Speaker 1: She's married, happy, so amazing.
Speaker 2: Leno and Alexa about to get married.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're doing their thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, maybe you have a better track record than maybe we should do a comparison. Do you have a better track record than love is Blind?
Speaker 2: I don't know about that because I was just on AD's podcast and she's married with a kid now, so I think that's although we've got our first temptation Island Baby on the way.
Speaker 1: So, but Ad didn't marry somebody from her show, Well, she married another Love is Blind? From Love is Blind?
Speaker 3: Do you even meet on perfect match or something?
Speaker 1: I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: I don't know how that went down. I have to look at this.
Speaker 1: She did marry. I love his blind person, but.
Speaker 2: Ollie, I love him.
Speaker 3: I have a picture with him, and I look like a turnyear old gnome next to this.
Speaker 1: Listen, you gotta love a breakage accent. Okay, Now, what do you do for fun that is not involving woodworking and some pipes?
Speaker 2: Basketball and golf are my sport hobbies. Okay, I haven't done it in a couple of years, but I have been a gigantic vegetable garden.
Speaker 1: Dude, I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I made moonshine one year. I like that kind of stuff. Beach, I like that. Yeah, I don't know. I'm kind of game to play. Recently, my my best friend Mark de Carlo, who's the host of Studs and he's been the voice of Jimmy Neutron's father on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, Anyway.
Speaker 2: He's way into ping punks. So we've been having these like really heat a pink pong tournament.
Speaker 3: So wow, that a little bit.
Speaker 2: And I played my guitar a lot. My son bought me have beautiful guitar as a gift. It was a guitar that I've always kind of wanted, and he said, you're never gonna buy it for yourself, so he bought it, which was really beautiful. And then you know, my kids, My daughter is crushing it and she's in Boston, but we are very very close. So we've been, you know, game planning together. And I don't know, I'm a little impulsive. So I get on kicks and I'm into it for a while and then I drop in midstream and yeah, yeah, building stuff is fun. Golf is a regular. Basketball is something I love. Yeah, that's kind of hobby stuff.
Speaker 1: What TV are you watching right now? You're watching anything great, like a Netlix or a binge.
Speaker 2: And we've been watching We watched the whole Crazy Cult one on Netflix.
Speaker 1: The trust Me wasn't that great?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, can.
Speaker 1: You believe that guy in his leather jacket? Like, look at me running around?
Speaker 2: Why not a loser? Well? I want to govern North and South South America.
Speaker 1: And get a gold mine, and I want the.
Speaker 2: Queen of England to come to my house.
Speaker 1: He was so focused on getting the Queen of England to be one of his wives. I was like, bruh, A'm lower.
Speaker 2: I say, you know, shoot your shot, Mikey. When I say.
Speaker 1: Shoot your shot, that's a great That was a great documentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I watched that documentary. We watched you know, I like Shrinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, obviously I love it.
Speaker 2: Of course, we're way into We watched all of the Handmaid's Tail and really loved it as it's serving as so now the Testaments is out watching that. But I watched to be honest with him, and this is not me being company man. I go to Netflix first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start watching Running Point because I love that with gold Goldie on with Kate Hudson. It's a basketball thing. It's great. I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So and Full Swing, I'll watch that's a golf documentary.
Speaker 2: I love that one. So. Yeah. Netflix usually keeps me full with everything I need, and occasionally I hop over to some other places.
Speaker 1: Other places. What's your favorite?
Speaker 2: Fine?
Speaker 3: I like Love is Blind. I'm gonna watch Perfect Match.
Speaker 2: I like those. I don't watch all the reality, but I like those.
Speaker 1: So what's your favorite book?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: You know, I gotta complaint. Robbie is the book girl.
Speaker 2: She's got them all and I read like the first chapter in the blurb and then I my head's exploded.
Speaker 1: And you can't take it. Yeah, some people are with books and some people aren't.
Speaker 2: There are books I love. There are some old basic primers that I tell when I'm talking my stuff, I say, these are the great ones, ones that I point to a lot of. There's a book Way of the Way of the Peaceful Warrior, uh, which you think is Dan Millman. I love that book. There's there's another book that really kind of changed my life with this big I this is gross, but I call it a two bowel movement book. You can read it on the toilet. It takes two time.
Speaker 1: Mark that's gross.
Speaker 3: Well, everybody poops, Mary Payne.
Speaker 1: I know, I don't like to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Well, I like to only talk about it. There's a book called Mutant Message down under. Okay, this, but it's it's a terrible book. It's about somebody who goes on a walk about with an Aboriginal tribe, but it's all life lesson stuff.
Speaker 3: I kind of I like those kind of books.
Speaker 2: My wife loves self help, spirituality, Anita more Johnny, uh you know, yeah, round us all those people. And because of her is how I know what I know, because if we're up to me, I wouldn't do any of that.
Speaker 3: But I don't do a.
Speaker 2: Lot of pleasure reading. I don't really read like, you know, spy novels and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is your favorite movie?
Speaker 2: Well, Godfather I always have to say, because it's the Godfather, but Godfather two is better than Godfather one.
Speaker 3: He you know, we've been watching a lot lately.
Speaker 2: My wife likes to turn on a movie to fall asleep and then I have to wake up and turn it off. But there's an old movie that is worth watching again because it makes me laugh every time that we watch it, Defending Your Life with Albert Brooks.
Speaker 1: Okay, I saw that, like Back to the Day.
Speaker 2: Meryl Streep and Albert Brooks. It's funny.
Speaker 3: And then i'm you know, this is where my wife and I divide.
Speaker 2: She likes drama deep and we've watched all those kind of like and I don't know the names of any of them right now, but all those you know, thriller, you can't figure out who did it kind of Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love those and I watch them, but it's frustrating for me because they're a puzzle and I'm trying to figure them out. But I'm like my world Will Ferrell, Yeah you know that kind of I like silly you know, yes, crazy stuff, So I like that. So that's I like to check out when I'm watching the movie sometimes and not thinking.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what my husband says too. Like I was trying to get into what we were watching Succession. He was like, here's the I love Succession. He's like it's so heavy. He's like, I think that that's why I like to relax with like everybody loves Raymond or Friends, because it's just like it's not life is so heavy that this is like fun, you know again, last question.
Speaker 2: I ave to wrap this up. Last question because I.
Speaker 1: Go, what's the most amazing place you've ever visited?
Speaker 2: M wow. So there are a lot of places I could try to impress you that I've been to, like Lake Como and stuff like that. Although you'd be surprised I have not done Europe, I really do. I've been to Germany on some work things, been to Italy. We had a little vacation. I've been to London. There is a place is near and dear to my soul.
Speaker 4: That I I hesitate mentioning because I don't want everybody going, okay, But one of my favorite places in the country is northern.
Speaker 3: Michigan in the summer.
Speaker 2: Uh. I've heard the springs and Pataski Traverse Bay that area. I spent summers there when I was eighteen nineteen doing summerstock and performing. I learned how to do what I do there. But it is one of.
Speaker 3: The most beautiful places and I love it. And so that's kind of probably one of.
Speaker 2: My favorite places, Okay.
Speaker 3: And then there's another place that's near and dear to me that.
Speaker 2: For many years since my son's now thirty four, but when he was like seven, me and the guys that I was friends with since I was eighteen nineteen years old, four or five of us would take our sons and go camping every year up in near Mammoth, but not up in Mammoth but on the way to Mammoth, California. And so that little trout stream camping area We've gone back to year after year after year. For all these years, I ended up bringing Robbie and Goldie and a bunch of people there to do some camping. So camping there or camping anywhere would be my happiest thing in the world. It's also very much a mixture of the spiritual part of me and they liking to use my tools part of me because all the camping gear, Like I love all the gadgets and toys. I like cooking outside and touch of it and making fires and carving stuff and you know, tents and all that. So that's my happiest place is camping with my son is my favorite thing in the world.
Speaker 1: Ah, I love that. I can't even imagine. I'm a very indoor person, but that's people that love camping. I'm fascinated.
Speaker 2: I can tell so many indoor people camping so that they know that there's a way to do it and you can have a good time.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, I think this dog can't change your tricks. Mark, tell everybody where they can find you and find your podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you know on Instagram, I'm at Mark Wahlberg on TikTok I'm at Mark L. Wahlberg and my podcast, which I have put on hiatus for a minute, but I think I'm going to be relaunching in a way I can't talk about yet, but we're working on that. But that's there, and there are plenty of episodes to watch at Bonfire Talks podcast where you get okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Thank you mom.
Speaker 3: I'm me Mary Payne. Sorry to Rush, I gotta run.
Speaker 1: I understand you're busy.
Speaker 2: Yeah,