Speaker 1: Thank you, John.
Speaker 2: It is seven oh five here Kentucky in this morning news on news Radio eight forty whas Nick coffee with you. Happy hump Day Wednesday is upon us and a busy, busy morning we have had thus far. As far as what's happening with America's involvement in the Iran Israel situation, these next twenty four to forty eight hours are believed to be critical. In fact, President Trump met with his top advisors in the White House yesterday and said that that exact thing, that the next twenty four to forty eight hours are going to be critical as far as what type of stance we see, And certainly it is it's a question many are are asking with clearly no answer just yet, but are we going to war? And again, I don't have the answer to that, but we'll talk to Rory O'Neil coming up a little bit later on within the show here. And I'm not going to put the task on Rory to tell us if in fact we are for sure going to war and really what's going to play out over these next forty eight hours, but would he's certainly somebody we can lean on when it comes to giving us the latest also a change to the change took place yesterday Friday, is whenever President Trump decided to inform ICE that when it comes to these immigration raids, to no longer pursue those that are working in certain industries and we're talking farms, hotels, restaurants. There was a pause, but it was brief because yesterday we now know that that is over and we're now back to expecting ICE to enforce the immigration plans from Trump in full force, regardless of what industry that you are working in. So again a quick turnaround here, and I mean, you've got to prioritize immigration enforcement over economic concerns, and that's a balancing act. But what really stands out from my perspective is that what, first of all, I guess we'll start at the beginning. What would make you think that we weren'tn't heavily reliant upon immigrant workers before the rates took place, right? I mean, that was a known thing that if you end up just really enforcing this the way you want, getting rid of anybody and everybody who is in fact in this country illegally, regardless of their age, regardless of what work they do, I mean, you would have to know that that would be something that is going to impact the economy. And I guess there was clear proof of that. I shouldn't say proof, maybe there wasn't proof just yet, but something led to President Trump deciding to make it to make a change. But again it was very, very brief. So it's one of the instances where you really don't know exactly are you are you full? And I'm not necessarily sharing an opinion on what should be done here as far as how you want to go about it, who you want to really target when it comes to immigrants that are here illegally, But the inconsistency, I just think it's somewhat of a poor look when it comes to the leadership. So I mean, maybe once again, if in fact there is a real maybe we do get proof. Maybe it is a real glaring issue that these ice raids that are getting rid of so many people that are here illegally but do work in industries that we rely on them because they're a big part of that workforce. If it hits the economy to such an extent, I guess now I can't say that there would be any surprise on my end if in fact they do another brief pause as far as just targeting those specific immigrants that are working in those industries. And usually when when you hear President Trump lay out what he intends to do and how eager he is to do it, I mean he seems full go more often than not. So then to see that pause and then a quick unpause, it makes me wonder, Okay, wouldn't shock me if we get another pause at really any moment now. So again, that is something that will continue to honitor not only the ice rates that are going on across the country and with industries it's impacting, but also what's going on with Iran in Israel. And again the next twenty four to forty eight hours are believed to be very critical and we'll keep you updated as best we can here on News Radio eight forty whas. A lot more to get into throughout the morning here. The Louisville Cardinals are moving on well, they survive, They're still around in the College World Series in Omaha. That is certainly exciting. Also, I have some more thoughts to share on the big news that was broke here with us on News Radio eight forty whas, and that is Tom Jurich getting honored at u of L by both not only the university but the city, and I just think it's a positive situation all the way around, and it's a good time to do it because there's really good energy seemingly right now when it comes to UL athletics.
Speaker 1: So stick with us.
Speaker 2: We've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way, an update on sports coming up in about fifteen minutes right here on news Radio eight forty WHS seven seventeen here at Kentucky. In this morning news with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty WHAS, take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at WHAS dot com. We've got an update of sports coming your way in about eight minutes. Also an update of traffic and weather coming up in just a few minutes. When it comes to the news here locally, our partners over WKY a couple of stories that they're tracking and I'm sure you'll hear about throughout the day here at NewsRadio eight forty WHS. Involves crimes that involve juveniles. We had a story yesterday where a second arrest was made in a situation that took place earlier this month, on June sixth, and you've got now, I believe, two juveniles that have been arrested and charged with complicity to first degree assault possession of a handgun by a minor. And then, of course another story that we've already heard a little bit about this morning. I know John Shannon and his news update did touch on this, but headline community pleading for justice after boy dies in Algonquin neighborhood. And this is obviously tragic in any way, but certainly when you think about children being involved, whether it be the victim or the perpetrator. And I think when you become a parent, you really see things differently. And I know everybody's different, so I can only speak for myself, but I know I'm not alone that when you become a parent, life just a little bit different. And the thought of juveniles children being either again involved in any way is a scary, scary thing. But just the fact that seemingly so many in the community are exposed to it without any intent to be involved in any way. I mean, it's just it's I wish it wasn't I'll put it this way. I wish it was way more surprising when you see headlines of violent crime that involved juveniles, and it's been a growing concern. And when you look at the data, again, it's not just those that are victims, it's also those that are that are criminals themselves, particularly in homicides. So in twenty twenty four, Louisville recorded over one hundred and forty homicides, which was which was down from one point fifty. Yeah, it decreased from one fifty and twenty twenty three and one fifty seven in twenty twenty two. However, the proportion of juveniles involved in these types of crimes has risen and it is it's been described as a as as an epidemic by those in our community that are leaders, and it's but I don't know. I mean, if there was an easy fix, I think would we would have it in place?
Speaker 1: I think it it I think it starts at home with parents.
Speaker 2: But again, I mean that's not to say that you can do everything you can as far as being involved in your kid's life and trying to keep them away from an environment that may lead to them becoming a victim or falling into a criminal lifestyle at a young age.
Speaker 1: It's just scary, scary stuff.
Speaker 2: And what really stood out to me this morning is that those those type of headlines, although they don't happen maybe every day, they're no longer in any way a surprise, and that that's that's awful. I don't have the fix. If I did, I probably wouldn't be a loud mouth on the radio with you guys this morning. I'd probably be in a different position. But scary scary stuff, no doubt. Again, it's these are these are children, and it's it's it seems to be only getting worse as far as just these types of crimes that involved again kids, children. All Right, it is seven twenty. We've got an update of sports coming your way in about five minutes. We'll get an update on traffic and weather first right here on news radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: Thank you, John. It is seven thirty five here because I get his morning.
Speaker 2: News with Nick Coffee on News radio eight forty whas. So I've got a survey I want to want to take a look at here. So this is a recent survey that reveals small yet every day moments that stress Americans out, Little things that others do that really irritate and I can I can I guess the best way to as far as what I gather here in regards to like the best example, it's something that you know is not a huge deal. It's not it's not like is if somebody has offended you, insulted you. They didn't you know, they didn't hit you. But it's something little that they probably don't even realize they're doing potentially, or maybe they realize they're doing it, but they have no clue, no awareness that it can be really really annoying to some I'm gonna list off what these top answers are as far as the survey here, and we'll see if these things are annoying to you guys, and then we'll also maybe throw in our own because I've got some that aren't listed here, and they're also little things that may annoy you, but nobody else would ever find it annoying. Everybody's different. But the number one stressor for every day, everyday life is seeing somebody that you don't want to talk to. Forty six percent say, uh, this spikes their stress when they see someone that they don't want to talk to, But the other person meeting the person they saw, they're either unaware that that person doesn't want to talk to them or they just don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been there. I mean you see it in cube farms all the time that people are going to work today. Let's be honest, there's that person who wanders around sure, yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Office and just roaming my pet looking for looking for somebody to just talk their face off.
Speaker 3: My pet beab is when I sit down for lunch. Yeah, and because that's my personal time, I'm with you three yeah, and then they show and they think you're just eating lunch so they can just sit there and the appway then and like no, Or I have a chair in my office, and what I do is I put my bag in there because if I don't, people will just casually walk by.
Speaker 1: And I actually have.
Speaker 3: One person in the office that used to move my bag and sit down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's somebody who just clearly doesn't can't read the room. Right.
Speaker 2: So I don't really deal with any of that because my day to day is not like most as far as just being in a workplace throughout it a full work day. But one of the benefits I think of, and if there was, there weren't many. But during the pandemic. When you wore masks, you felt less likely to run into somebody, you know. And it's not that I avoid people that might want to have a conversation. But maybe this is me just admitting that I'm that I'm not the most social. But there are certain people that I genuinely like. But if I do see them, I'm not going to be bothered if they don't see me, And I'm not going to go out of my way and say, hey, how you doing, just because you know, like it would just be the casual. There's nothing wrong with a little small talk, Hey, how you doing, how you've been right? But then like there's that awkwardness of all right, we don't really have anything else to say. We probably could have just waived, but now we're standing here not really knowing what to ask because we're friendly, we're acquaintances, but like, you know, how's your family? You know, not to say you don't care about their family, but I don't know, Like I did like that aspect of the masks on at stores to where I didn't have to worry about I mean, I'm an introvert, which again is a weird thing to do. Yeah, it's just unlikely. It's not common in what we do to be introverted.
Speaker 3: Actually, you probably be surprised because if you I've heard from so many people in this business when you talk for a living, like the last thing they want to do is go talk and to your point, then you get.
Speaker 1: Does that makes sense? You go to that? Relate to that, you go.
Speaker 3: To that awkward point in the conversation where the conversation's over one of you has to do Guys like when you shake hands, who pulls their hand away first when you shake hands?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody, without even knowing it, probably has a an exit strategy for conversation. And the most common one is all right right, the all right That is a way to just kind of, you know, say that you're done with the conversation. And but yet some people don't pick up on that, and that's where you end up in those awkward situations.
Speaker 1: John, What annoys you and what annoys me?
Speaker 2: Like little things like talking about people that chew loud, people who are just always loud. You got anything, I'll give you one way you think about it, go ahead. People who talk on speakerphone in public.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god, I noticed that the other day. I know it stores.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, it's it's just not necessary, and it's I think it's rude. And another this is actually we were at dinner over the weekend and it wasn't It wasn't somebody talking on speakerphone. I thought they were, and then I realized, oh no, they're doing talk to text aloud to where not only are people some people out here having phone calls where you can hear everything, but now they're they're they're basically letting you know what they want to send to somebody to text message because they can hit.
Speaker 1: The talk to text. So I've got one. But you got people who are too lazy to put their shopping cart back in the car corral. That's pretty common. But that's something that comes to mind.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, and that's something that like that doesn't typically I guess it can, but that's an annoyance to you, even when it doesn't impact you right like it didn't hit your car, it didn't get in your way.
Speaker 1: But when you just see somebody was so lazy do they especially could walk were fighting next to the to the car, cryer like I'm just gonna leave it right here inside the parking spot instead.
Speaker 2: And this one's going to make me sound like I've got a road rage. And I promise you I'm not coming from that place. But maybe I'm in denial. But slow turners, you don't need to come to a complete stop to make to make your turn. I mean, you know, you don't need to be going fifty over the speed limit when you hit the when you hit a right. But when some people take so long to turn, then you end up catching a light. And had they you know, have they gone a little faster. And I'm not talking about speeding. I'm talking about just, you know, not coming to nearly a complete stop.
Speaker 3: To your point, I saw a TikTok video yesterday along those lines when you're driving down in like say seventy one, and a truck goes to get around to another truck but doesn't go quite fast enough and you're kind of pinned behind them, and you got to wait, oh like three or four miles before they finally get around the other truck man.
Speaker 1: You are so right about that.
Speaker 3: That using that speakerphone on their phones when they're walking. Oh my god, I see that so much.
Speaker 2: I mean, we were we were in the waiting, We were in the waiting room, or I was in the waiting room at an appointment last week, and I mean, this woman just having a full I mean, I feel like that's part of the family, right, an open personal conversation. I can hear hurry app and I can hear the other person, and you know, yeah, it just to me, it seems kind of rude, but I'm glad you miss that may not even be something people notice.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: We think we all have little things that bother us, and we probably wish that they didn't bother us.
Speaker 1: But they do so good stuff. All right, We've got.
Speaker 2: Another update of trafficking weather coming your way right here on news radio eight forty WHS.
Speaker 1: Seven forty seven. Here Konsecuy had it's morning News with.
Speaker 2: Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas just a few minutes away from another update on traffick and weather. We've got sports coming your way in about eight minutes time. So hang out with us again right here on news radio eight forty whas it was I guess roughly twenty three hours ago where the mayor Mayor Greenberg joined me here to break the news that the city, as well as the University of Louisville are coming together to honor Tom Jeurge, former UFL athletic director. And I think the timing of this couldn't be better. And this was, by the way in place before the momentum continued to rise as far as just good vibes, good energy with U OFL Athletics. But I feel like when you are reminded that this, you know, this fan base does have a really good presence within college baseball where when you've got a regional or a super regional like they had here at Jim Patterson Stadium last week, and you see it sold out, you see the fan base well represented, looking like a great atmosphere.
Speaker 1: And then of course in Omaha, A.
Speaker 2: Scott's mentioned throughout the morning and at Sports Updates the cardination that showed up there in Omaha. Man, they look good. And I don't mean they look like beautiful people. They are beautiful people. I'm just saying like, there's a lot of them. They're into it, and it's just awesome to see. It's a great look for the program, this fan base, and there's a lot of value in that. And what that does is it reminds me of oh, yeah, it's been a while since Louisville baseball made this kind of a run in the postseason, but it was all started with Dan McDonnell. And not to say that there wasn't some success with baseball to an extent, but here's the facts.
Speaker 1: Louisville had never.
Speaker 2: Won a postseason game before Dan McDonald got hired, and his first year he takes them to the College World Series. They've now been there six times. This is their third finish in the top four, and they're not finished yet. I just say that if they if it ends today, which it may, I mean, this is the third time they've been a final four team essentially in college baseball. And I bring all this up to say that Tom Jurich won made the phenomenal hire of Dan McDonald, But the foundation was established to where this thing was so good for a good stretch, and it's always been relatively good. They just had some down years kind of navigating the new world with Nil and the portal, and they had a really really good team that got to play a few games before college baseball and got canceled back in twenty twenty. So I just think when you look at the coaches that are in place right now, because Josh Hurd has done a phenomenal job at making hires.
Speaker 1: There's really good energy.
Speaker 2: Not only with just the athletic department, but you can just tell that when you see when you see coaches interacting with one another. You see Jeff Brahms showing up at these games, and you see Pat Kelsey supporting all the sports here. I mean he was a die hard fan of Danny Busboom Kelly when that volleyball team was on their run last year. That's infectious. Fans eat that stuff up, seeing the coaches working together and supporting one another. And I think these coaches are all really good coaches, those that are having success. So I don't want to I want to act like I don't want to act as if you know, Tom Jurich is responsible for all of their success. But the athletic department at U of L and the foundation that he set makes it to where if you can coach, which I think clearly there's some good coaches over there on Floyd Street, it's it's established, meaning the foundation, the resources are there.
Speaker 1: You can win here.
Speaker 2: It's been proven, and that really got rolling with U of L Athletics. Outside of basketball, basketball is a different world because of just what Denny Crumb built it to be, but everything else Tom laid the foundation for that. So I don't think it's an exaggeration. This is not hyperbole to say that the success that's currently going on and the success in the future, it's not possible without the run that Tom Juridge had here. And that's why, regardless of the messy exit that certainly did happen, he needs to have this type of honor because without him, I don't know what Louisville Athletics looks like, and I like how it looks right now. And again it's not just Tom, but certainly he had a huge factor. So very happy that that's going to happen later this month, June twenty eighth at ten am, So get out there and you can support Tom, support you of AL athletics and certainly going to be a big day. All Right, We've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way, and then an update on sports. So stick around here on News Radio eight forty whas