Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're a welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy dot ie Board Gosh Energy. Know your power.
Speaker 2: Estimation Anuel Biller twenty six hundred and twenty nine. Your new customers only thirst of percentis Kentov Smart all day electricity unirates in twenty nine percent of gas. See pocosh Energy dot E for full teesncies.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, it's that thing in the backyard that you meant to do something with but now it got rained on it's ali ward. This is Ologies. This is a show that is seldom about dogs, except for now. As this is a bit of a companion episode to last week's at No Sinology episode about dogs being your companions, How Wolves Went to Dogs. So this week we are following up with a wonderful new guest on how science and conservation partners with dogs to do the work that we cannot. So yes, dogs can not only smell narcotics in a duffel bag. They can also let us know how plants and animals are faring in the wild. So this guest shot or shot by tagging me in some excellent videos about her working conservation and look where we are now we've got a whole episode. So as a second year PhD student at Oregon State University, they travel the world studying wolves on islands in Alaska, jungle cats and so much more. And as a founder of a nonprofit group called Canine Conservationists, this ologist coined the term eco odorology, which can involve dogs detecting little plants, mold invasive species. They detect bat and bird fatalities on wind farms, invasive zebra muscles, carnivore populations, cheetahs, and Kenya bobcats in the foothills, and they're trained to find so much more. So this episode is a bit of a treat because we recorded it in two parts. First, I headed to a trailhead in LA's Griffith Park on an absolute scorcher so hot, and.
Speaker 4: We're kind of moving back on down ably gonna let him just keep this ball, uh huh, and let him We call this quiet quitting where he can now go hang out in the shade, do whatever he needs to do.
Speaker 3: It was over one hundred degrees that day, and I was able to meet conservation dog Barley as we sniffed our way up dusty paths and hung out in a cedar grove looking for evidence of coyotes and bobcats. I'm also I'm panting here and there so was Barley, but Barley didn't have a mic, and I'm sweating everywhere, But we get into it. Then we followed up with a traditional studio episode where I was as composed as a person can be when they're talking about puppies. But first quick thanks to patrons who make the show possible. You can be one of them by hitting up Patreon dot com slash ologies, where you can ask the ologist questions before we record, and we chime in every week with discussion threads over there. Also thank you to everyone in ologies merch, which you can get from ologiesmarch dot com, and to everyone who, for no dollars supports us just by leaving reviews so more people can find the show. I read them all, and this week I will read you one from someone who wrote I'm a Rhiannon too, but I do not study deer. Thank you so much for making this podcast when the world really needed it. Rhiannon, What is Rihanna talking about? We're going to clear that out late in the episode if you don't know, but for now, sit and stay for an entire episode on how dogs happily do our dirty work of sniffing for a wild animal poop rescue, dogs do a dog jobs, what rewards work when training dogs on a boat, dogs in the jungle, wolves in the sea, Why noses are wet, how garbage your sense of smell is, and how you can get into this field and out into the field working with your best bud with conservation biologist dog Trader, knine advocate and eco odorologist Kayla Fratt.
Speaker 4: Farley's in this chair right here, and Niffler is probably going to settle a dog, but that's like just right on the other side of the table. Sometimes they're like under my feed. My name is Kayla Fratt. She her and I am studying the movement and diet and a bunch of other interesting questions of the Alexander Archipelago wolf using scat collection through the detection dogs and then also looking at some behavioral characteristics with the detection dogs as far as like learning and efficacy and whatnot.
Speaker 3: You're collecting data on the wolf in this series of islands, but you're also collecting data on how the domesticated wolves are learning that right, domesticated wolves being dogs. You can see last week's at No Sinology episode which is all about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So as far as the wolves go, we're basically working with poop. So the dogs will locate little piles of poop or sometimes big piles of poop. We take those home, we take them back to the lab, and then we do a process called DNA metabar coding where we pull out all of the little strands of DNA and we run those against a database and then figure out what is in that fegal sample and kind of aut what levels.
Speaker 3: On a more detailed level, though, we.
Speaker 4: Can also do a process called genotyping, which tells us who the wolf is, you know, the individual ide their sex, and over the course of years, then that can tell us maybe how old that wolf is or if that wolf is ultimately harvested, and then we can kind of match that DNA back then we can know maybe how old that wolf was at the time that it died. And then on the dog side of things, I'm keeping track of all sorts of things, as far as how far the dog is away from the scat when it first catches the odor, how the dog actually moves to the scat, and whether or not the dog reports with what we call a trained final response, which is that they're supposed to lie down with that scat, or if they kind of stand there and are a little bit wishy washy about that identification, which sometimes can be fatigue or vegetation related, like you can imagine if there's a big pointy rock or like a thorny thing there, they might choose not to lie down, But sometimes it also can indicate that they're not as certain about that id.
Speaker 3: So when a trained dog smells something that it's been told to look for, it will lie down kind of sphinx like with the specimen between his two front paws. So he just laid down.
Speaker 4: Ye I think we've got Oh are you serious not to be working yet? Good? Wow?
Speaker 3: A bobcat poop right there, just sitting on an embankment sort of, and so he just got rewarded with the ball. But in rocky terrain, of course they're gonna wing it, and Kayla is not only studying the ecology of the wild animals, but also how the canine eco odorologists are doing their jobs.
Speaker 4: And then I'm doing a lot of data collection on the training side of things, so actually getting the dogs ready and how we use them in the field and how that affects the results long term. Lots of data, lots of data.
Speaker 3: So back to the undomesticated actual wolves. When you say harvested, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean that they are cold or does that mean that they've been poached?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so these wolves are primarily in the Tongas National Forest where there is hunting and trapping allowed for these wolves. They're not in like a national park or somewhere where they're protected. So yeah, currently mostly hunting and trapping and it is legal.
Speaker 3: It is permitted when you're coming up with a training plan for the eco odorological aspects of it. Like, what are we talking in terms of old factory acumen when we're talking about dogs, what are they smelling that we aren't.
Speaker 4: So many things. We are basically noseblind as far as like mammals go. Compared to dogs. We are like you know, the salamanders that can kind of sense light and dark. I can't actually see that is like the difference in degree between our old faction and their old faction.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: So as far as then training goes, what we generally are starting with is getting a lot of samples of our target odor. And the reason we want a lot is because there can be variations in odor depending on what that animal was eating, its reproductive status, if it's particularly stressed that day, if it's on antibiotics, you know, when we're talking zoo samples, that's a big factor. So we want to make sure that we give the dogs enough samples that they know that they're not just looking for a lactating female brown bear who's eating salmon and is on antibiotics, but we're actually looking for black bears in general. Wow. And then we're doing all sorts of careful handling with those samples to make sure that we don't get those samples covered in our own sweat, the scent of plastic if they've been stored in like plastic bags. You know, if you put that scat sample down on the surface and then pick it back up, is it picking up odor from something like that? Are you storing it in your freezer next to your other biological samples within they're cross contaminating. And then then once we've got all those samples and we've kind of got them prepared appropriately, then we can start introducing the dogs to those.
Speaker 3: Okay, but how long does that take? Like years? Or are dogs sense of smell so good that they just learn in an instant.
Speaker 4: With the more experienced dogs that we have at this point, that process often goes pretty quickly. For like just a scat sample of a given species, that might just take a couple weeks of training. But then when you're looking at some ecoodology dogs, we'll work with things like pathogens or fung gui or identifying specific insects nests. Once you get into kind of those areas, then that training can take quite a bit longer because it's what we would call like a lower odor profile, so it's just less stinky, or it's really really specific. If you're thinking about the difference, you know, if I want a dog to find elk poop, that's pretty straightforward. But if I want the dog to tell me the difference between an elk with chronic wasting disease and an elk without chronic wasting disease. Now we're starting to get to the point where the dog is trying to identify a really really small, small signal among like the entire odor profile of an elk scat. There's just a little bit in there that tells us whether or not it's chronic wasting disease. And that's there's a project out of the pen VAT working dogs that are working on that. It's extremely challenging but very very cool work.
Speaker 3: On our website, we're going to link more research on that from Penn University's Vet department on chronic wasting disease having been detected in the Hog Heaven Reserve in Montana as well as in Michigan. A not at all alarming headline read researchers worn zombie deer disease could spread to humans. And if you're like, what is a preon? Why does it sound like a computer part, Well, it's a misfolded protein. And we talk more about proteins and how they fold with doctor Raven Baxter aka Raven the Science Maven in her episode on Molecular Biology, and we also address it in the two part Servitology episode All about Deer with not one but two Rhannon's who Study Deer. Speaking of other episodes, last week's Ethnosynology episode with David E and How discussed how dogs are a biotechnology which not only could outsmell a machine, but could also probably chew it up and leave it for dead. Are dogs better at that than machines? Or are they quicker or are they more portable? What's the benefit to using a little cutie babies that love working as opposed to a sample a machine in the field.
Speaker 4: So one of my mentors, Simon goad Bois, who's out of dal Housie University, he thinks that in all likelihood, in our lifetimes we're going to see machines taking over things like medical detection. So you know, you hear sometimes about the cancer sniffing dogs or dogs that are able to sniff PTSD those sorts of things. There's a pretty good chance that we're going to see devices that can do that in our lifetimes. But that's partially because you're taking a sample. Maybe you've got like a you can imagine a device that you breathe into, like a breathalyzer. Basically that would be pretty easy to actually create the device that can do the old faction and everything else. But when we're talking like our work in Alaska, you know, Barley was covering sixteen eighteen kilometers, which I don't know what that is in miles, like ten or twelve miles maybe in a day. If we had a device that was going to do that, one of us would probably have to be carrying it. I know they've piloted some that are like wheeled, but we're not working on terrain that you could wheel something around. There also was a really interesting study done by the Department of Defense a while ago where they had one of these like old factometers on wheels and they compared it to a dog, and it was just a lot slower because basically dogs are a lot more efficient at searching an area, and maybe with appropriate training, the human who was manning that machine could have gotten better at it. But it's just not likely to be something we see in our lifetimes. And also, you know, so I don't want to carry something like that.
Speaker 3: So heavy, expensive, not delicate enough in their abilities, and also they don't exist now eco odorology dogs, they're not going to be phased out anytime soon. Also, machines can't hang in the field like Barley or Niffler or Ellie Suki Scottie or Alie.
Speaker 4: A lot of those those instruments are not going to be waterproof. They're not going to be mudproof. You know, They're not gonna be something that you can like drop and pick up in the mud and like keep going. Versus the dogs, like, there are problems, you know. They the dogs get ticks, the dogs can get sick, the dogs can get injured, But a machine could also get injured, I suppose, oh, if you think about it that way. But they're overall just a little bit heartier than like most machines are.
Speaker 3: If there's ever a Boston Dynamics dog that has an eco odorological device, again, that's not going to be our lifetime. It's also going to be much creepier and expensive, I imagine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly. I mean I can imagine a couple upsides. Like the biggest thing I complain about now that I'm a PhD student is trying to manage the energy level and the ongoing training of the dogs when I'm not in the field and kind of constantly needing to Like, you know, I was up at six point thirty this morning and took the dogs for a run in the rain in Oregon, and like that was kind of miserable, and it would be nice to have something that I could just take the batteries out of and then take out again before the field sees it. But also then I wouldn't get to live with my dogs, so I wouldn't actually trade them for something like that. But occasionally, you know, the dogs do require a lot of year round maintenance.
Speaker 3: Do they tend to be rescues or do you need a specific breed?
Speaker 4: It varies a little bit depending on which organization you're talking to. So like within Canine Conservationists, four of our five dogs are rescues, and.
Speaker 3: Kayla says that's within their core group, but when they hire contractors, about ninety percent of those working dogs are rescues as well. Some groups prefer to have the family line medical history of a breeder dog, but Kayla says Canine Conservationists actually prefer rescues because they're older and they're ready to train, as opposed to what she calls the floppy sloppy puppy. Years now, most military and government worker dogs, however, are from breeders, and part of that it's just because they have the budget. I looked up what that budget is and found that around LA, the current price for a police dog is approximately twelve thousand dollars just to get the dog, not including the training, which runs about thirteen thousand dollars, but then maintenance, training, equipment, supplies, and vet care. That's the guacamole of the dog budget that's going to run you extra. How much harder is it to sniff out chronic wasting disease and elk or a wolf that has the flu than finding cocaine in luggage?
Speaker 4: Ooh, my gut. Reaction is finding cocaine and luggage is hard because people are actively trying to conceal it from the dogs. And some people are smart about that, a lot of them do, I understanding it or not. But that is something that we don't have to deal with in the conservation dog world. We don't have to deal with, you know, samples generally that have been like wrapped in a bunch of plastic and then dipped in gasoline and then buried in coffee grounds or something thing like that, you know, which is what sometimes is done with trafficking, Uh wow, to fool the dogs. I think you know, if you had just plain samples out. The chronic wasting disease is probably harder. But the problem with cocaine is that it's concealed.
Speaker 3: Whenever there's like a dog at the airport, I'm always afraid, like, what if someone brushed up against me with drugs or something. Yeah, everyone's like, oh, this is so cute, that's so weird. But what other industries use ecoorderology other than conservation and trafficking and law enforcement? What other applications are there for dogs who are really really good at their noses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, if we're talking ecotology, that probably is primarily the conservation ecology those sorts of things because it is ego. But then we also can get into a lot of it then goes into law enforcement. So yeah, we've got the drug dogs. A lot of us know about those. There also are quite a few firearms detection dogs. Primarily this is a little bleak in US schools. There's kind of an increasing push for dogs that can find firearms in schools. I don't love that that is a place that we're at, but it is an industry that exists. And then explosives detection dogs. I have a couple acquaintances who trained dogs to do, like they check stadiums before like the Super Bowl, those sorts of things, and then a lot of you know, missing persons dogs, dogs that maybe trail suspects, human remains detection dogs will also look for again missing people. And then there's live Find disaster search and rescue dogs. So we're recording. I guess it's been a while since Helene at this point.
Speaker 3: And Helene was a category for hurricane that hit the southeast United States in September twenty twenty four with two hundred and nineteen people killed and nearly thirty missing.
Speaker 4: Still, you know, if we think of Helene, I know that it was a huge mobilization of live find disaster search and rescue dogs that were getting sent out to then try to find people who were in the floodwaters. And we're still alive and needing to be prioritized for rescue.
Speaker 3: Why is it important for you to get the word out? Why are you so passionate about this?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's such a good question. I mean because I love it, Like I just love getting to talk about it. I think I have the coolest job in the world, and I like to get to tell other people about it, and I like how happy it makes people. It's nice to have something to do with conservation and the environment that makes people feel good. I also think that there's a lot of applications for conservation detection dogs that haven't been explored fully yet. The more people who are aware of it and are getting involved, the more likely we are to connect be able to continue moving this industry forward in a really responsible and thoughtful and evidence based way.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting. I've interviewed to a lot of people who are wildlife collegists and they say that they wanted to start in veterinary medicine because they love dogs. But then veterinary medicine is a really difficult field emotionally as well. It's really hard to get into vet school. And it's interesting that you work in conservation but you also get to work with dogs as you're in the film field.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean that is one of the other things that I always really have loved about this field is that, you know, when I was a little girl, I was obsessed with Jane Goodall, and I you know, I'd watch all these documentaries of her interacting with the primates, and you know, her like handing that banana to David Graybeard.
Speaker 2: It was the first time that a chimpanzee reached out to make contact with me, and I.
Speaker 4: Was just like, oh my god, this is what biology is, this is what I want to do. And I was watching Steve Irwin and you know, like that's what I wanted to do. And then the further I got into my career and realized, like a lot of times we're not actually interacting with these animals at all. We're not touching them, we're not playing with them. And to some of that, I think there's a huge ethical benefit to that. I think that is a good thing, but emotionally it was disappointing. So having this domestic animal that I do get to sleep in my bed and I get to you know, feed the little chicken nuggets and told how cute he is, you know, and even just like checking them for ticks at the end of a field day, and like having time to like groom them and hang out together and just have that emotional bond. It genuinely is so nice and it's so meaningful, and I don't think it should be trivialized as just a silly emotional thing that we want, Like I think loving animals is such an important driver for so many of us, and it's it's not something that I think we should just dismiss because it is an emotion, but it's nice to have a way to express it that isn't harassing wildlife. Right.
Speaker 3: It also seems like other people have expressed concerns about field work. Sometimes you're in remote places, sometimes you're in places you're not familiar with. Sometimes women people of color have more issues with harassment, and it seems like having a field companion by your side is also maybe strategically kind of comforting.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I could definitely see that.
Speaker 3: We talk about this in a few episodes, like in the wonderful Karina Newsom's Wildlife Ecology episode, which is all about field work.
Speaker 4: It's so funny because it's been so long since I was in the field without a dog. But I'm sure that's something that I would I would notice the absence, and yeah, would feel lonely, less safe. Yeah. Sometimes we're staying in like sketchy roadside motels, halfway between Place A and Place B, you know, on the side of a highway somewhere, and it's nice to have the dogs with you, for sure.
Speaker 3: And you were talking about your PhD work. What are you looking for with the wolves? What kind of data are you collecting?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the nice thing is as far as like the harvest side of things with the wolves, they actually when they're harvested, there's a sample taken from those wolves, and it's all reported with Alaska Department of Fishing Game. So I just get to use those samples later on. So what we're actually looking at with these Scott samples is the Alexander Archipelago in southeast Alaska.
Speaker 3: And Kayla says, if you make an L with your right hand, like you were going to put like a shape of an L on your forehead, if you will, and then you turn it counterclockwise about a quarter of a turn, you got Alaska.
Speaker 4: And then you've got your thumb pointing down that is roughly Alaska without the bit that goes out into the Baring Sea. Right, I'm Wisconsin. Sorry, like every state. It has to become a hand to me. Yeah, the Alexander Archipelago is like way down at the tip of your thumbnail.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 4: Anyway, so we've got like a thousand islands in this Alexander Archipelago and Prince of Wales Island is kind of in the center of that, and the vast majority of wolf research in this area has centered on Prince of Wales because it's really accessible. You can get a direct flight from juneo.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: But there's a thousand islands in this archipelago and these wolves are spread out across all of these, well maybe not all of them. That's kind of the question. We don't know what other islands these wolves are using, and we don't know like how big does an island have to be for a wolfpack to make it their whole territory or you know, once it's this size. Are they kind of using multiple islands? How do they choose to move between different islands, How do different islands affect what they're eating. We don't really know much about that when we're kind of getting out into these smaller islands. So my research is it's super cool. We're out on a boat all the time, and we're taking this little tough boat from like islands to island and doing searches across all of these different islands. I think I counted it up, and we're somewhere between twenty five and thirty islands last year, which you know, in the grand scheme of a thousand, not that many. But also a lot of these islands are like a couple acres, They're like rocks in the ocean, you know. And some of them you actually can't get the boat onto because of the way the cliffs are or you know, the beaches and whatnot. It's just actually not safe to land a boat. So that's part of it sometimes as well. But yeah, so it's a lot of really interesting questions about like island biogeography and landscape ecology and wolf movement. And these wolves eat sea otters, and we don't necessarily know why a wolf would choose to eat a sea otter instead of a deer. Is it just seatta abundance? Is it something about what makes them vulnerable to wolves? And so with a lot of fancy maps and a lot of fancy pipe heating and a lot of poop samples, we can get to those answers. And that's kind of why I'm in the PhD at this point, because I at this point feel relatively confident in training the dogs to find the poop. But then all of the questions that come after that, there is so so so much more that happens once you've got that scout sample.
Speaker 3: How are these wolves making it from island to island?
Speaker 4: They swim?
Speaker 3: How far can they go?
Speaker 4: Like a couple of kilometers?
Speaker 3: Like what they can wolfy paddle?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they just wolf be paddle their way through. We actually saw a deer swimming between islands once. The deer actually will swim even more than the wolves. Or maybe it's just that there's a lot more deer than there are wolves, so you're more likely to to kind of catch them going between. But no, we've we've seen wolves on our camera traps, or we've seen evidence of wolves on really really tiny islands that like we know for a fact, there's no way they were hanging out there for long like they were coming through. Maybe there was a deer on the island that they're just gonna you know, corner really easily, because it's really easy to catch one deer on one tiny island, Oh wow. Yeah, Or maybe they were using it as a stopover between two islands. Who knows.
Speaker 3: Do you think orcas ever take any out while they're wolf paddling?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I've been wondering this. Probably like occasionally you'd have to be super unlucky as a wolf, because again, there's so few of them and they don't do it all that often. But I think we've all kind of seen that, Maybe not all of us, but I know I've seen this, like meme or whatever of like just a reminder that orcas are the number one marine predators of moose. I wolf found a lot of food, so like, orcas do get moose when moose are swimming, so I don't see why they wouldn't. But I've never heard of it. I don't know if anyone's actually looked or exactly how you would figure that out. I'm sure it's happened once.
Speaker 3: Yeah, isn't it weird how marine mammals whales orcas are descended from like a servidological type of animal and then they became marine mammals.
Speaker 4: Evolution is so wild.
Speaker 3: It's so weird that it's like a former ungulate eating an ungulate. It's nuts. But what is it like to do this field work where you're in the middle of absolutely nowhere on tiny islands like on boats. Do you get seasick? How cold is it? What is it look like?
Speaker 4: It's very rainy and wet. A lot of the time. We had a very very wet summer and this so this part of southeast Alaska gets twice as much annual rainfall as Seattle. So if you think Seattle is rainy, double it. And a lot of that happens in the winter when we're not there. But still it's very wet a lot of days. You know, I'm going to have to work in fahrenheit here, so sorry, I know everyone who works in celsius, but like you know, it's like a highest sixty and rainy, and then you know overnight lows in the forties and thirties.
Speaker 3: So that's like sixteen degrees to negative one degree celsius. I'm sorry, We're American. We have a lot of problems here.
Speaker 4: I luckily don't get seasick when I'm hiring texts. That's something we talk to people about and something we put in our job posting of like, hey, we are spending like two to four hours a day on a tiny boat in choppy waters. Like if seasickness is a thing for you, this probably isn't a job. And if you're not sure but you think it might be a problem, probably not the job for you.
Speaker 3: What kind of how big. Are the boats? Are they zodiacs?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, no, luckily not. It's it's a thirty five foot tough boat. So it's kind of got an enclosed hull in the front that actually is heated, it's got seats, it's very cozy, and then it's got an open back where we can throw all of our gear. So it's not too bad. It is just choppy occasionally, especially when we're going out to some of the outer islands, and sometimes you are kind of getting exposed to like the full on Pacific swell of you know, open oceano and then a lot of times we try to stick to the inside as much as we can to mitigate that. We get see whales most of the time, though, like we see humpbacks all the time. We see seaatters all the time. The beach combing is incredible. I've found so many like cool new to breaks and sea slugs and like, oh my god, I found a seaatter skull this summer. That was a big highlight for me. You know, it's just it's so cool. It's just amazing.
Speaker 3: I don't know, well, I had to interview the dogs before you adopt them. How do you know if a dog is going to up chuck kibble. The cat has something to say about it. Kayla says that her cat is fine on boats too, which is not something that most people ever have the opportunity to find out and maybe should only be explored with an open mind and some heavy leather gloves. But yeah, how does she know if the dogs are going to barf or not?
Speaker 4: Good question? I think at this point both of my dogs have been in cars and trains and buses enough that I feel relatively confident that they're okay on most forms of transportation. We do have within Cannon conservationists, we have a dog who's going to have his first boat experience this coming summer, So what we might try to do is get him used to like an ATV or something else that's a little open, a little bit choppier. But generally our dogs just have such a close relationship with their handlers, and we look for dogs that are resilient and trust people and are willing to kind of try new things with us, because that's so important in so many different ways that so far hasn't been a huge issue. I know other people who have flowed and helicopters with their conservation dogs, without necessarily doing a ton of prior training. And again because of that kind of like working dog bond, it often works out.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh, can I ask you questions from listeners?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, yes, ah, they.
Speaker 3: Have great ones. But before we get there, let's dip into our pockets and pull out a treat of cash for a cause. This one is easy. It's in Kayla's name and we're donating to her and her wonderful colleagues work at Canine Conservationists dot org, and Kayla's mission, alongside colleagues Rachel Heather, Jenna, Vanessa, and Bernice, is to unite highly trained conservation detective dog teams with researchers to collect scientific data. And they provide mentorship, education, and foster collaboration among scientists and novice handlers and local communities. And you can donate or learn more at Canine Conservationists dot org kan a nine Conservationist dot org and that donation was made possible by sponsors of the show.
Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day. With a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get A two hundred and thirty five. You're a welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy dot ie Board Gosh Energy, Know your Power.
Speaker 2: Estimating annual ability twenty six hundred and twenty nine Your new customers only thirst of percentis kent off smart all day electricity unitrates in twenty nine percent of gass sporcash Energy dot E for FULLTIESNCS.
Speaker 3: All right, let's root through your questions. Patrons. You two con shibit them before we record by joining at patreon dot com slash ologies. It costs one big dollar a month to join, So let us now ask a smart question, ask a smart person all kinds of stuff that was accidental, which is sad. Space boys wants to know. Hello. I was wondering how hard it is to train the dogs.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, the first time was so hard. I cried all the time. I was sure that Barley and I couldn't do this. I was sure that he wasn't cut out for it. I was sure I was not a good enough trainer. It has gotten easier in general every time, and the dogs get better at it too. So first time dog, first time trainer, really really tough situation. I wish that there was a better way to like it. Like with horseback riding, generally you don't put a green rider on a green horse. That's something that we tried to do as well in the working dog world when we can.
Speaker 3: Lauren Read from Chattanooga, Tennessee, wants to know, Hi, I guess I'm wondering. How do you know if the dog is going to be good at the job.
Speaker 4: The quickest little test that we do is we take their toy. So we look for a dog who's like bonkers for the toy, and we'll hold their collar back. Sometimes we'll even cover their eyes and we throw that toy into really really tall grass or somewhere else where it's impossible for the dog to see. We release the dog, and what we're looking for there is that the dog is focused and keeps looking. We don't actually necessarily like it if in that test the dog finds the toy right away, because that just tells us they found the toy quickly. What we want to see is that tenacity that when they can't find it, they keep looking and they keep trying. Oh So that's like the number one test that if if I got to ask someone one thing about a dog before I had to say yes or no to it. That's what I would ask for.
Speaker 3: Oh, Grammy would be so bad at that, absolutely just the worst. She's like, don't look at me. But actually speaking of certain certain animals being good or bad, mac Nut Cookie, Earl and grammle Can, Hunter, Roberts, Tiger, Udy, Anna Dylan, Migan, Walker, and Cleocatra all wants to know. In Cleocatra's words, do detection cats exist? Anna Dylan wants to know any other animals to do this? Conservation cats are people, and there's like, obviously some cat people. Tiger Unity says cat's noses are supposed to be even better than dogs. Are there any efforts to train cats? Also, there are rats that sniff out land mines, which we've covered in our Mammalogy episode. Could rats be used for this kind of work too? So? Yeah, are dogs the only ones?
Speaker 4: Dogs are not the only ones? Yeah? The rats are probably the next biggest example. There are these Gambian pouch strats. They're super cool. They're used primarily for tuberculosis and land mines. I probably wouldn't use one for my work in Alaska because again, of the amount of distance we're covering. Okay, it just wouldn't necessarily be fair to ask like a three pound animal to do that.
Speaker 3: Just a heads up. We have a whole mammalogy episode with doctor Danielle and Lee who studies pouched rats used in land mine detection. They wear backpacks. We also have an episode with Bobby Corrigan, whose entire career revolves around sewer rats, and he made me cry about sweet sweet rats. So we're gonna link those episodes in the show notes.
Speaker 4: But I can see other situations in which, like on a if you're searching a boat for zebra muscles, a rat would actually potentially be a better choice than a dog in something like that. I don't know if anyone doing anything with cats. With cats, what we struggle with is the motivation and the focus. So and that's kind of where we come back to, Like detection wolverine would be awesome, but like, can I convince a wolverine to look for what I want? And can I get that wolverine to like stick with me and work with me in the woods? Not so much. Kind of the same problem generally speaking with cats.
Speaker 3: That tracks macnet cookie and I know the answer to this, which I know it's a yes or no question, so it's exciting. Can a shelter dog be trained to be a detection dog like the Rogue Detection Team does for Sierra Nevada Red Fox. Yes, absolutely, yeah, of course. And you know some people this is an interesting question. Melissa deboscin, first time question asker wanted to second the inquiries about whether most of the dogs are purpose bread Katie B already said are certain breeds better? Like? How are police dogs usually German shepherds?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well so partially the German shepherd thing is like it's just historic. There are just these big breeding programs that breed dogs and sell them to police departments, and they work with German shepherds for the most part. That is changing now there's kind of this push towards what we call the floppies. So you know, like if you go to an airport now you're more likely to see a pointer than a German shepherd, and there's this belief that they're less scary, and I think that is fair. I think most people are less scared of a pointer than a German shepherd. The other thing that you have to think about with police dogs, so The reason you see German shepherds in Belgian malinwa is more in police dogs than you do in like conservation. A lot of those dogs are dual trained, so they're not just sniffing out drugs. They're also trained to bite the person that the cop sends them after. So that's where you kind of want a dog who is interested in bite things and bitey sports and biting activities. We're not looking for that in conservation, so we don't get quite as many shepherds, although they often I have worked with shepherds in this line of work.
Speaker 3: Speaking of biting, Katie Bardy, Kyle Cunningham Roads, Heather Crane, Andy Pepper, interesting stuff. Kyle Cunningham Rhodes asked how do you deal with crittering and other high prey drive behaviors? And Katie asks, how do you train them not to go after the animal? Thinking of my dog who will go nuts when he sees a rabbit.
Speaker 4: That is the number two thing that I would like to ask someone when deciding whether or not to hire a dog for me personally and within canon conservationists. If we've got a dog who has everything going for it but is nuts about trying to go after squirrels, it's still a no for us. You know, my dogs have come into contact with jaguars in national parks in Guatemala.
Speaker 3: So when I was on the trail with her, Kayla told me more about critter sightings in the wild.
Speaker 4: We saw bears in Alaska, but they as soon as they hear you come in thet they're out of there. They don't want anything to do with you. The wolves more or less the same. They're a little more curious, but most animals they don't want anything to do with us. We've seen jaguar. One jaguar when we were out that was in Guatemala, and I actually so Nifflair, my younger dogs were and he had just found a scat and I picked up the ball and yeah, goodbye, throw the ball and we all look up to watching it flirt chase the ball and then someone goes jaguar and I had thrown the ball at the jaguar. It was fine. It was quite a ways down the trail, but yeah, I was like, okay, and if I come on dog with that ball right now, thank you, goodbye, and only going up like octave by octa. Yeah, again, not a big deal, just really cool to get to see a jaguara.
Speaker 3: Do you just go on and have a normal Wednesday in the jungle After that.
Speaker 4: Then as we all kind of like, okay, we're gonna put the dog on leash and like we're done searching for a couple of minutes, we got to go see if we can see more of this jaguar. We couldn't get another glimpse of it, but yeah, that's totally work. Yeah, like that's that's It's such a cool big cat sighting, not one that we were ever expecting to get in that part of the world. Like you can go to some places in Brazil where you're pretty likely to get to see jaguars den squadmal and rainforest, we were not expecting to get seat one. So it was so freaking cool.
Speaker 3: Did the hair stand up on the back your neck?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well, And the funny because my first response was disbelief because it was actually a lot smaller than I expected. So I was like, are we sure that it's not an osal lot And then I was like, no, it's joe big for an acelin. I was like, we're sure it's not a puma, And then you know, we got the binos on it and it's like, no, it's got spots. It was probably just a young guy, but yeah, totally like oh shivers, Like we were all high for the rest of the day. Just really cool.
Speaker 3: What were you guys looking for in Guatemala with jaguars?
Speaker 4: So that is actually now my lab mate at Oregon State and roommate Ellen Dimmitt, is doing research on jaguars, puma's asalts markets, all of those carnivores on basically creating like a food web and figuring out what they're all eating and how they're all moving and how they're using. This is the Guatemala Maya biosphere reserve. So cool.
Speaker 3: So yeah, dogs got to keep their cool. Don't freak out, man, you're at work.
Speaker 4: Like, most dogs do have some sort of interest in like fast retreating prey animals. Most dogs are going to be interested in bunnies or squirrels to some degree. I'm not saying my dogs are robots and that they're perfect. They obviously, you know, a squirrel runs across their line of sight, they notice it.
Speaker 3: In the dog's defense. This happened to me immediately on the trail. It's funny that I just saw a squirrel and I was distracted by it. Yeah, Varley was not, yes, which says a lot about us as different animals.
Speaker 4: So we teach the dogs that disengaging from interesting things in the environment on their own pays. We reward them for that, and then we work on safety skills as well. So like in the case of seeing a jaguar in Guatemala, I recalled nifflair back to me. I just put my hand on a schollar. I told him how perfect he was. He got a huge reward. In the case of a rattlesnakes we come into contact with that's where we might use like an emergency down where I'm going to tell the dog to lie down. They lie down, no matter where they are, no matter what's happening, they stay there. I move around the snake and come and collect them, and then we move on.
Speaker 3: You're mentioned following jaguars and I know you're looking for scatt and Aaron White said, my dog loved eating catpoop and other stomach turning delights. How do you keep the thing you're looking for from being snacked upon? And Ruben also said, how do you train the dogs to not eat the special poop? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, good question. Both of my dogs are like irredeemable litter box raiders. So the funny thing is both of my dogs do this recreationally, and like it's I've got like a Tom and Jerry set up in my house going right now, between me and the dogs and the litter box. It's like, it's crazy because they're so smart and I've trained them to problem solve and use their noses to get what they want, so it makes it really hard to outsmart them, and I'm very tired. But generally what we look for, you know, when we've got a dog who is like as over the top nuts for their ball as our dogs are, and they know that finding the scat without touching it gets them their ball, that generally makes it pretty easy for them to learn not to eat it. So my dogs will eat poop recreationally but won't do it in work. Yeah, they know that finding it gets their ball, and they want the ball more than they want the poop.
Speaker 3: It's like a doctor who's like, I don't drink on the job, but I do like a whiskey at home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So well, you know, some people were curious about your own experiences. Z Shiragane wanted to know what's your wildest moment while you're out training with this. Dogs can be both an animal or human interaction, just something that had you reeling afterwards. Can and Cody wanted to know what's your funniest dog related story or mishap, anything happened to you that just you could not shake.
Speaker 4: Okay, so funniest stories. This summer in Alaska, we just had so many like hilarious mishaps of trying to get the dog off the boat. So, as I said, we're on this like thirty five foot boat and we're going to these really remote islands, so there aren't dogs. Generally, if we can in deep enough water where we can kind of push the boat up against a cliff that then we can step out onto. But sometimes we're having to kind of go up into the beach and then you're stepping down and hoping that your boots are tall enough. But then you're in this situation where now you're standing in like mid calf deep water and now the boat is at your shoulder head height. I'm pretty short, so if you were taller than me, it wouldn't be quite as much of a problem. And now the dog is at head height, and you need to get the dog down and you don't want to sprain the dog's shoulder or anything at this point. So what we've trained Barley to do, and Barley is fifty pounds, so he is, you know, like somewhere between a third and a half of my weight to put his front paws on my shoulder and then he kind of like hops and I like catch his ass and then like do this like weird kettlebell move to get him onto the ground. And there were so many times this summer that I was either very close to or actually did like kind of each shit doing this. And then like everybody's wet, and like we're covered in kelp and you know it's raining anyway, so like whatever, we're just wet all the time.
Speaker 3: But there it's work. It's a job. They're like, it's a living. That's how I make my chicken. Do what you gotta do. You mentioned something about not maybe seeing the jaguar but smelling it, and Andy Pepper wanted to know, is it all old faction or does hearing come in to play too. Perry c said I had heard that dogs can read out and smell in the side of the nose at the same time. Is that true? Rachel gotthree wants to know if there's been any research on how their brains work, So the physiology of it. Are they using other senses?
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh my god it yeah. I'm like, I'm so excited. I'm like currently a little obsessed with the physiology of old faction. This summer, I was reading like a veterinary textbook on like the noses and old faction and just having the best time. So hearing no because we're working with Scott. Scott doesn't make a noise generally once it's on the ground.
Speaker 3: Well, that's good sight.
Speaker 4: Yes, Barley or the other dogs will occasionally like target rocks that look like Scott and like get close enough, take away with and then be like, oh no, definitely not scou And then as far as yeah, so yes, dogs can smell through their nose and exhale. I don't know if they excel at the same time. But so, if you look at your dog's snoop, right, there's like a hole in the center and then there's a slit to the side. The odor goes in the hole and then it actually has like a differential speed as it goes through so it slows down as it goes past all these scent receptors, so there's more time for it to be bound to these scent receptors. It does a hairpin turn, so it goes past them twice. It's also separated, so they can tell the difference between whether something is stronger on their right versus left side of their nose, which is crazy like cuckoo bananas to us, because again we are nose blind, like we just cannot fathom what they can smell, because they can smell through time, they can smell through space like they can smell it like fifth dimensions if you think about it too much. This is what I think about as a PhD student if I've taken an edible when I'm trying to unwind from research. But yes, and then as they exhale, it excels out through those slits on the side of their noses, which then keeps them from recycling that air, so they're not resampling the same air. But also as it exhales, that creates a little vortex that volatilizes the air on the ground, and kind of that in increased humidity can also aid in old faction. At least this is what it's thought, it's what's hypothesized and helps then bring more air back into that nostril, so they're like exhaling it and creating like this whole vortex around their face that again they can tell the difference between right and left. It's just, oh, it's so cool, it's so cool.
Speaker 3: Ali. They are also in possession of a Vomaron nasal organ or a Jacobsen organ that's at the top at the roof of their mouth, and the nerves of that go directly into the brain. Now, in the Gustatology episode, we discussed why my daughter Grammy opens and closes her mouth kind of like a puppet in fast motion when she tastes something new, and learned that she's using that Vomeron nasal organ in addition to her olfactory system. Also, your dog, should you have one, has a wet nose because particles in moisture heavy air are captured more easily by wet mucous membranes. So you, with your dry nose and your extensive smell, you can only dream of what they have.
Speaker 4: If you think of, like, our visual section of our brain is really huge. Their old faction section is really really large.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, given that they're so sensitive, Rich Tomos Simpson first question asker, and Kareem the climate communicator Wildminster wanted to know, in Rich's words, how often do they have to be reminded what they're smelling for? Do they have a cheese course to cleanse the palette before a different smell? And Korean says like the tiny jars of coffee beans at perfumeeries.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I think if you're working with dogs in like a laboratory setting where you want them to do these like really fine level discrimination works. So that's like the sort of stuff that doctor Nathan Hall does at Texas Tech University.
Speaker 3: And doctor Hall is an associate professor of Companion Animal Science who has authored papers such as the influence of scented toy enrichment on owned dog activity levels in a household setting.
Speaker 4: I do think they have actually talked about needing to give the dogs like a break and letting memory calibrate because they're in this really like fine scale program versus yeah, what we do out in the woods. The dogs are basically always looking for everything we've trained them on. So, for example, both of my dogs are already trained to find osolot scat. Starting in January of this year, Barley is going to go work on an osalot project for his first time in like two years. So we're getting a fresh box of oslot poop in a couple of days here, because he hasn't actually trained with oslot for a couple of years. So I suspect if I just dropped him off on this project he would find some. But we're actually going to help him kind of refresh on it by practicing a bunch with that scent to kind of bring it back up to the top of mind. It's not like every day I have to put a wolf Scot sample out and be like, all right, buddy, you remember it's this like they've got.
Speaker 3: That, especially given that these deployments aren't necessarily about osalot ecology to them, they probably don't care at all. It's about smelling something cool, laying down with it between their paws, and getting to play with a toy like someone who is addicted to Dave Brewer, Lisa Gorman, Molly shot Well, Kyle Cunningham, Roads, and Metsicato want to know, in Dave Brewer's words, how long does it take to train a dog. Also, Molly shot Well wants you to know Scotty is so cute.
Speaker 4: Scotty is our rising star. He is so handsome. He's a little bloommeerl border Collie with like a split face, so half of it is dark and half of it is white. He's just adorable. He's perfect in every way. Scotty is like our He's our little prodigy. Scotty had a ton of previous training on him because he'd actually been through so he had failed out of a couple different jobs by the time we got him, so we already had a lot of transferable skills.
Speaker 3: Kayla told me a little bit more about Scotty while we were on the trail.
Speaker 4: One of our dogs, Scotty actually has been through three homes before us. And the crazy thing with him is he was actually he was in a sheep hurting home. He was in a competitive agility home mm hmm, and he just didn't like either of those sports. Oh, he just wasn't interested. He wasn't interested in the sheep And when they did agility, all he wanted to do was sniff and he just wanted to play ball. And we're like a dog that only wants to sniff and play ball. Sign him up.
Speaker 3: Was he in a shelter just with that kind of wrap sheet or did someone say, hey, I understand me.
Speaker 4: We posted a very cute hiring post on social media, and the person who had him at the time, who I believe was the agility a lady, reached out and said, you know, I think that this dog is going to be a lot happier with you guys than with me. So he actually skipped the shelter entirely, but probably would have ended up there eventually had he not gotten to just have a soft landing with us. And he's our little superstar. We loved him so much. Compare that to Niffler, who is my younger, younger dog. I got him when he was nine weeks old, and really even at nine months, like he wouldn't have been able to do anything that was any harder than a wind farm. So yeah, anywhere from a couple months to like maybe a couple of years. But part of that is also physiological, Like you're it doesn't matter how good your training is, You're not going to get a five month old dog to go to work because they're babies and they're right, they get tired easily, and they're distractable, and yeah they still are like barely potty trained at that age.
Speaker 3: You know. Well, in terms of other people's dogs, Doug Pace, Melissa Hart, Faith Novella, and Alicia Stelsel wanted to know can we train our own dogs to do this? Melissa Hert says can we train our own sweet doggies using the same technique? And faith Novella says, can there be a dog trained to sniff out turtles trying to save box turtles from lawnmowers over here? And would love to put my doggles to work?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes, yes, yes. So there's a really cool paper from doctor Nicholas Rutter out of Australia. He did a ton of his PhD work about training volunteer conservation detection dog teams to do actual impactful conservation work. So yes you can. He did a great job creating a program and it worked quite well.
Speaker 3: Doctor Rutter has published recent papers such as can volunteers train their pet dogs to detect a novel odor in a controlled environment in under twelve weeks? And diving in knows First The influence of unfamiliar search scale and environmental context on the search performance of volunteer conservation to active dog handler teams.
Speaker 4: I will say it is a crap ton of work. So, like, this is not something where you're gonna go to a training class once a week for six months and then you're gonna like go do it necessarily maybe three times a week for six months and then yes, if this is something you're interested in, what you could start out with is like K nine nosework classes. Those are in most medium to large sized cities, Like I had an option for K nine nosework classes in Missoula, Montana, So it's not like you have to live in La to have an opportunity to do something like this that'll give you the basics of like teaching your dog how to read odor and working with your dog through olfactory stimuli potentially teaching your dog on alert behavior. It is pretty different from what we do though. It is kind of like, you know the difference between like gym class pickleball, and like Olympic tennis. You know, it's not you know, it like gets just started, but it's not really it. So if you're really really interested in, like you know, I forget who it was, but they wanted to do help with box turtles. There are people box tilder research already with conservation dogs quite effectively, but maybe not in your area. They probably do need more volunteers, They do need more help. Shameless plug. We have an online Conservation Dog handler course that teaches you about dog training, dog selection, wildlife interactions, oder dynamics, all of that sort of stuff. That would be a really good supplement to getting some hands on practice with something like a search and rescue group or that Canine knows work that I mentioned, so that you get kind of both sides of it. You get the hands on practice and the theory.
Speaker 3: So if you go to Canine Conservationists dot org you will find a whole ass tab for learn how to be a canine conservationist. They have online classes, they got virtual coaching, they have private coaching and training, they have seminars, they got a book club. So boom, there you go. Now this question is one of the most asked here we go. We had a lot of questions kind of from concerned listeners, Christian Nina Giocave, Ray sugar Puff, Daddy Kins, Jacob Shepherd, Share a Man's David Phillifranco and Hayley and I don't want this to be controversial, but they all kind of wanted to know. Do they know they're a good boy? Are they all good boys and girls? Who's a very good doggo? Are they all good dogs? Who are the goodest? Are they the goodest of good boys? Would it be possible to tell the dogs that we love them they're doing a good job? And also just one request, please just tell those doggos that they're good boys and girls and that we love them. Know for their questions, so, oh my god, is that a question? They get a lot.
Speaker 4: Well, first off, y'all are going to make me cry? Yeah, yes, no, they all know they're such good dogs. I tell them they're good ten thousand times a day. Occasionally I tell them they're bad, but like in a loving way, like you're such a bad dog.
Speaker 3: Why, oh you little bad dog?
Speaker 4: I love you so much, you're so bad. Niffler gets called stinky a lot, which is just like a progression of you know, Niffler to Sniffler to sniffs to sniffy to stinky. But yes, thank you, No, they are all very good dogs. Barley is probably both the best and the worst dog. He and I again are in this war of attrition of the litter box that I am losing for their records, so both very good and very bad.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot of people who would just request you kiss them on the head. Actually someone did ask are they petible well working?
Speaker 4: Or how much is it? Like?
Speaker 3: No, do not, it's working right now? I know police dogs do not pet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, generally no, because you can't catch them. They're all fleesh and they are like out there. You know you're not gonna able to catch them all they're working. But no, like when we do demos, and like we do meet and greets afterwards, not all of our dogs, Not all of our dogs are like interested in meeting a bunch of strangers, but most of them are. Barley when we do demos, is pretty famous for like bringing his toy to a bunch of different members of the audience.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 4: And yeah, Niffler will try to call inside your skin and we'll clean your ears for you. So yes, they are pattible as long as like you ask the handler permission first, because not all of them are interested in that.
Speaker 3: A few people wanted to know about career arcs macsernikra Young Cooper, Michael Emma, Henson, Ammani Politano, j Romspel, Christian love man alask Lauri Pemberton wanted to know, in Amani's words, where do they go when they retire, Like what's the career length for them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so as far as when they retire, it depends kind of on their their bodies. I know conservation dogs who have worked up until about fourteen, and then some that retire younger if they've got some sort of catastrophic injury or a degenerative disease, so that can cause a career to be shortened. Generally they stay with their handlers. With police dogs, they are owned by the department in most cases, so they will kind of move them out so that there is space for that handler to then take on a new working dog. And kind of similarly with service dogs, sometimes it's helpful or kind of even necessary to move that other dog into a retirement home so that, you know, you can imagine someone who needs a service animal not have the time and the space and the capacity to care for an animal that is not helping with their life anymore, or sometimes it can be really hard for those dogs to continue watching the other dog get to work, so it can actually be really challenging for those dogs as well. It can be helpful for them to move on into a softer lending retirement home. My dogs aren't going anywhere.
Speaker 3: And Kayla notes that if say a dog works with them for six months and it's just not a good fit, it's not looking good, they might try to give that dog a career change and place it with another handler in a totally different job so that the dog is happier doing its own thing. Maybe the dog wants to go into graphic design or real estate. That's fine, speaking of job swapping. Last question from listeners Melissa Duoscin. First, some question asker, we kind of talked about this earlier. Since I'm a veterinarian with a strong interest in behavior and training, could I get into this line of work even if I am sadly not a scientist. Kili Shavs wants to know any job openings. Kate for some question asker says what jobs like this exist? Ourculent Church says, anyone else thinking why is this not my life? Payton Nell says this is a dream job I didn't know existed. How can people get into this kind of work?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we will be hiring in twenty twenty five, mostly seasonal, So if you're available for a summer and want to come hang out with us on either a wind farm or potentially doing some other projects. I'm going to be needing a tech in Alaska. I'll actually be needing three techs in Alaska. We'll have an opportunities tab up on our website when those positions are kind of ready and we know how much we're paying and what we're offering and all that sort of stuff. Otherwise, keep an eye on the Texas and m University Jobs Board. Sometimes there are Conservation Dog gigs posted there. They are few and far between and they are very competitive, but they are there. Then also you could consider joining the Conservation Dog Alliance. That's a really good place for peer to peer networking and mentoring, and we have skill shares every month and we all post jobs there all the time. So, especially if you're in other parts of the country or the world, you're not necessarily in the Pacific northwester or the Inner Mountain West, that would be a really good place to go and look because I've seen job postings shared in that group from the UK and India and all over the place. So that would be a good starting spot.
Speaker 3: Nice, Uh, worst thing about your job, something's got to suck other than the cat snickies, but anything to suck about it. I mean, I know there's also probably sad things that suck about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, yeah, we could go really sappy, which is just that the dogs don't live long enough. Barley is turning eleven soon and I am not okay with that. So that's really tough. And then you know, I've already hinted at this, but it is hard to maintain these dogs, and like we're not paid very much. The job is very like go go, go, go, go go go, and then like nothing but grant writing for a really long time, and you have to kind of be constantly on top of the dog's training and maintenance and physical therapy and fitness, and you know, sometimes I just wish I could catch a break as far as like the dog care. Like I'm constantly leaving happy hours and parties and whatnot early. You're turning down social events because I've got to go take care of the dogs. And that is dog ownership and I love it, but it, you know, sometimes it kind of sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a part of it. It's you know what though, if you have friends that are like I got to piece out the dogs, your good friends are like, of course, you know your good ones are like it's part of you. Can you imagine if you're like, I'm gonna go check on my baby and people are like whatever, bitch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, nobody's mean about it. I'm just buckling. I left a party last night at eleven PM, and everyone else study out till two, and like, it would have been fun to stay out till too, drinking tequila and singing karaoke, but you know, I had to do physical therapy for my dog, which like, you know, not complaining too much, but a little bit.
Speaker 3: Once you get to be my she'll be like, ugh, how can I leave this party at ten thirty and go to bed? Yeah, I'm like, you left a party at eleven that's so late. So if you've been listening to Ologies for a long time, you might recall the twenty eighteen two part Somnology episode about how I went well over a decade so sleep deprived that I would sometimes sit down next to a pile of laundry and fall asleep in it. A more recent episode on burnout goes into way more detail on why that happened. So yeah, sleep is the best for me at least. What about for Kayla? What about the best thing?
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean obviously just the dogs, like the whole the whole thing, like getting to be out in the woods and seeing your dog making an amazing find and seeing that training build off, and especially honestly for me, it's the times where I see the dogs making a logical leap or like asking me a question through their behavior and then getting to be like, yes, yes, that's awesome, of course, let's go for it, you know, and just like that relationship is so cool, and actually getting to have a conservation impact and like working in these on these amazingly import imant and cool projects through the help of my dogs is just it's the best.
Speaker 3: Like really, you're really getting to work with your best friend, your best monds all the.
Speaker 4: Time, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not to mention, I hear, camping with a dog is nice because they are protective and also they're warm snuggles.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, although they are also sometimes wet. My whole life is just wet right now because of Fielder in Alaska and then now it's winter and Oregon.
Speaker 3: Well, it's so great to be able to see you out in the field and follow along, and I just think I'm so glad that this is an ology that is now fully coined and official, and that there'll be more of you in the future. What you're doing is so so cool and also so cute.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: So ask smart people, not smart questions, and hit the trail with a science dog, make sure you have water, or hit the trail with any dog and let them huff stuff in five mentions. They're having a blast. Thank you so much to Kayla the future doctor Frat and Barley, who she says she will thank in her dissertation acknowledgments and is pushing for him to be honored with a dog diurate. And you can find out more about her work and all of her colleagues and dogs via the website Canine Conservationist dot org and through their social handles at Canine Conservationists, which we're going to link the show notes. They also have their own Canine Conservationist podcast. We're going to link all that we are at ologies on Blue Sky and I'm still apparently on TikTok TikTok survives, I'm at Ali underscore Ologies, Instagram's are ologies and Ali Ward linked in the show notes. We do have shorter, kid friendly versions of ologies in their own podcast feed. They're called Smologies, available for free wherever you get podcasts. They have a new green logo s M O L O G I E. S. Thank you patrons at patroon dot com Sashologies for making the show possible. Aaron Talbert Adminciologies podcast Facebook group. Aveline Malick makes professional transcripts. Kelly R. Dwyer does the website. Susan Hale is our phenom of a managing director. Jake Chafey is a lovely editor and leading the post production wolf Pack is editor. Mercedes Maitland of Maitland Audio. Nick Thorburn wrote the Few music and if you stick around to the end, I tell you a secret. And this week it's that I have a new job. It's full time. It's in the tech industry, and my position involves increasing revenue through engagement. And the only downside is that there's no pay. It's just me all day refreshing apps in terror and I'm just driving revenue for other companies. I think a lot of you are my co workers refreshing apps, seeing what's going on while I'm still doing this job full time. So I'll see you guys in the breakdown room. Another news, if you are feeling bad at all, one thing that has earnestly helped me through some periods of darkness is finding a place to volunteer anywhere, maybe something you're into like a community garden program or reading to seniors, or mutual aid or organizing closed donations, or judging a local pie contest, or wearing a name tag at a museum, And just mostly most of your job there is just pointing people toward the restrooms when they ask I did that last one? It changed my life, definitely made me happier. And here we are. I made an episode about that and we'll link in the show notes. So heads up, you keep going. Life is a marathon. The course is determined mile by mile as you go. All right, bye, bye, pacadermatologyology, do zoology, lithology, technology, meteorology, metatology, tethnology, zeriology, elinology.
Speaker 4: I will smell it, thank you later.
Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy. Save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel, plus get a two hundred and thirty five euro welcome bonus switch today at boardgosh Energy dot Ie Board Gosh Energy, Know your Power.
Speaker 2: Estimated annuability twenty six hundred and twenty nine your own new customers only thirty percent is kind of smart. All day electricity unitrates in twenty nine percent of gas unitates sporcash Energy dot E for full seesncies