Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio apps.
Speaker 2: When it's winter and it's cold outside.
Speaker 1: Is that when the Chipotle burritos do do shrink?
Speaker 3: I'll pause for all theot hordes of laughter going on, right.
Speaker 1: And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 2: All right, Good morning everybody.
Speaker 1: It is a Monday, Yay, Monday, Monday, start of the week, August fifth, and we are I think there's a last day of our insane heat wave.
Speaker 2: You know, the weather is just griffic all over the country.
Speaker 1: Between heat and fires and flooding and the news last night, so watching.
Speaker 2: You know, the reporting on what's going in.
Speaker 1: Hurricane Debbie or a tropical storm Debut is on its way up. Thirty inches of rain in certain areas. Are they now measuring rain by the yard? I mean, it's gotten insane. Anyway, A quick hello to everybody. Neil, good morning, Gosh.
Speaker 3: One minute into the show, I'm already depressed. Good morning, Willie Wolf.
Speaker 2: And good morning Kno, good morning. Hell hell yeah, you're in a good mood.
Speaker 3: Excellent. We got you.
Speaker 2: I didn't even put you in a bad mood. You're in a bad mood.
Speaker 4: No, the board put me in a bad mood when you heard a lot of dead air because it froze.
Speaker 5: And now I'm working with technical issues.
Speaker 2: Of course you are, of course you are.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: When's the last time they replaced everything? Nineteen fifty eight, fifty nine is when we got new You.
Speaker 3: Say he's working with testicle issues.
Speaker 1: Yes he did, Yes he did, Yes he did, or boy Amy, good morning.
Speaker 4: Luckily, I will never have to do with testicle issues, well.
Speaker 1: Unless unless you know, I mean they're directly anyway, No, not directly, okay, and then unless you're going into boxing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, good night, good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: And then there's Anne, Good morning, Anne, good morning. Amy.
Speaker 1: Didn't get the weather because I'm preparing the show as I always do.
Speaker 2: Weather report, hot hot, hot, hot.
Speaker 5: Hot hot.
Speaker 4: We've got heat advisories in effect today, of course we do. Yeah, and back through tomorrow, and then we should start cooling down by midweek and be back to more normal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, in the morning hours to the show, I do, I walk an hour. I mean, can you believe that?
Speaker 1: And man, what a Schwitzerama, It is unbelievable. Come back to the house and I am dripping, not that you care, but it's I don't even know why I mentioned that. I guess just to congratulate myself. All right, let me see everybody had a decent weekend, and I hope I don't care, so.
Speaker 2: I won't even ask. And you did not work at so far this weekend?
Speaker 5: No, I did not.
Speaker 2: And then it starts going like crazy.
Speaker 5: Preseason football next weekend?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Does it all starts next weekend?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough? All right, guys, you're ready to do it?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yay, all right, let's get the excitement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you ready to do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're fine, okay, damn yeah yeah Monday, Okay, we rev up.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 1: Is it's time for handle on the news with Amy Neil and me lead story?
Speaker 3: Is that fine?
Speaker 1: Well, the search for running mate for Kamala Harris is going balls to the wall.
Speaker 2: And she's already chosen. I mean you know that at this point she has and she is going.
Speaker 1: To well today, maybe she is going to announce, certainly by tomorrow, and the three final contenders, Governor Tim Waltz of Walls of Minnesota, Governor Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania, Senator Mark Kelly of Arizona, A couple of interesting things. I find Josh Shapiro the most interesting one of all, and i'll tell you why.
Speaker 3: First of all, he's an observant.
Speaker 1: Jew okay, and being of the Hebraic persuasion myself, I tend to look at him a little closer some real issues with him.
Speaker 2: He is too pro Israeli.
Speaker 1: And you've got on Kamala Harris's side the progressives that are not particularly pro Israeli. They are saying Israel should.
Speaker 2: Not be backed up as much as it should.
Speaker 1: And so you got the one who is sort of in the middle of it, Senator Mark Kelly, little conservative, but with the progressive wants. Progressive want is left wing, left wing, left wing, and just you know, that's it. We're gonna draw the line in the sand.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: If I had to guess right now, I would guess, you know, there's three of them. And if I had to guess one of them, I would guess that it's going to be either Tim Walls, Josh Shapiro, or Mark Kelly.
Speaker 5: Ah. The insight of Bill Handle.
Speaker 3: You're analysis, I mean amazing, and I are a gate with just this is what I do.
Speaker 2: This is what I do.
Speaker 3: You put the anal in analysis, sir, so well done.
Speaker 4: Yes, hitting a boiling point. Israel is bracing for a potential attack, a big one from Iran, and it's ally Hezbola because of the assassination of two senior militant leaders last week. One happened in Beirut, Lebanon, the other one in Tehran, Iran.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 1: When we look back on this, I think the Netanyahu government is not going to be treated well in history. I mean, look at how crazy uh, the attack, especially of the Hamas leader in Tehran, right, an Israeli attack in Iran, and the guy who was considered a moderate, well relatively considered Marat, who is in the negotiations to establish the seat fire cease fire.
Speaker 2: Uh, it is. It is very tough.
Speaker 1: And the Palestinian question is going to be a big question in the election for sure. I mean and Uh, Tehran has said it will attack Israel directly, it will absolutely attack. And Israel is now bracing for a direct attack from uh, a direct talk from Iran. And the US has its fifth fleet now out in the Mediterranean.
Speaker 2: That's balls to the wall. And you may see that.
Speaker 1: Regional war explode, just explode, and I think a lot of it has to do with a super right wing Netanyahu government.
Speaker 2: Not good news.
Speaker 3: So what do you think the odds are of this becoming a regional war?
Speaker 2: I think are pretty high.
Speaker 1: Right now, that's what's happening in Hisbelah is We're the israel Is already fighting Hisbelah the northern border in between Israel and eleven nine in name only that it's not a war. I mean, it's skirmish, but it's skirmish's plus it just keeps on escalating and waiting for uh Iran to attack.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is not good news.
Speaker 1: And for some crazy reason, Netao who believes and the far right in Israel believes that Hamas will be destroyed, it will not. Hamas is going to survive. Hamas will be there. There is nothing to take its place. If Israel could theoretically take over it will I mean it could, you know, by moving all of its assets into Gaza, be occupying force.
Speaker 2: So what it is now going to be an Israeli government occupying market front?
Speaker 1: Right, Neil, you dropped out on me, bud Oh, All right, there's good news at least in the stock market.
Speaker 3: Right Oh, let me tell you there is an Olympic class diving going on in the stock market right now. You've got the US stock market. I'm going to have another rough day today. We'll find out six thirty our time. But their sense is those investors, they have a sense that it is going too sharply lower. But keep in mind, doubt futures are down eight hundred points. It's two percent futures, or the broader S and P five hundred are two point nine percent low. But when you even though that's bad, it's not a crash when you compare it to other points in history, like the pandemic. The early days of the pandemic, it fell about twelve point nine percent, and you had the broader S and P five hundred and fell twelve percent that day, second worst decline in history. So we're not even Black Monday. Back in nineteen eighty seven it fell like twenty two percent a little bit more, and SMP five hundred nos dived to twenty zero point three percent. So bad, but not historically crazy.
Speaker 2: But it'll be the third day in a row.
Speaker 1: I remember I bought my house for the Persian Palace, the place that I bought was on Black Monday, and we were actually it was on Tuesday and the stock market had collapsed, and I remember driving to the the courthouse. It was an auction of the place and.
Speaker 2: It was going to be empty. And at that point Marjorie says, Oh my god, we can't buy. The stock market is crashing. We don't have stock. Do you understand this is going to be the best thing for us.
Speaker 3: You didn't have any stock, not at that time.
Speaker 2: No, everything I had was in real estate at that time.
Speaker 3: Wait, what year did you buy the Persian Palace.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty seven? I bought it October twentieth nine. Not the Persian Palace. I built the Persian Palace. This was the place I had in Hancock Park adjacent, not.
Speaker 3: Yeah Park Palace.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man was in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was on Man's It was in Mansfield.
Speaker 3: I remember the one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 1: That was the one I bought on Black That was a duplex. It was it was a duplex.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was well.
Speaker 1: I remember the next day, man, it was everybody was wheeling wheeling. Good time to buy up past property by the way, So anyway, it was horrific and we'll see what happens today. Politically, this has some huge, huge impact because what's this going to do if the stock market, if the economy does fall. Remember the stock market is it's historic high.
Speaker 2: It can't go up consistently one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 1: This gives ammunition, plenty of it to Donald Trump because well, here it is. It's the Biden Harris. You know it's there. Go you know it happened under Biden Harris administration.
Speaker 4: Here's a shocker. The Belgium triathlon team pulled out of Monday's planned mixed relay event in the Sen River because one of its athletes got sick. That athlete participated in the initial triathlon. The Swiss team I had to switch out some teammates because one of swimmers is also sick. And then it reports surfaced in Belgian media that USA Today couldn't confirm that the swimmer who is sick is hospitalized with ecoli.
Speaker 3: Ooh, well, we knew this was going to happen.
Speaker 2: We knew, we called it, we said it.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, this is certainly good news. US Customs and Border Protection officers in Arizona said that they made the single largest bust of fetanyl in the agency's history. After seizing four million with an M pills from a twenty year old man who was driving a pickup truck. He was hauling a sport you know, vehicle in the back. He's got this utility trailer and I guess the authorities were looking at and said they found some anomalies with the trailer frame, and the K nineteen came out found two hundred and thirty four packages of drugs hidden in the frame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a question.
Speaker 1: I mean, we we all know that it just the tiniest little amount of fentanyl kills you.
Speaker 2: I mean this tiny little drop fentanyl pills.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming there is very small fentanyl in those pills.
Speaker 2: I mean, you think of it.
Speaker 1: These are pills of fentanyl, you know, the death pills that anybody would take them would die instantly. So I don't quite understand. I'm not an expert on fentanyl. I know fair amount about cocaine and pot and everything else that we all know about heroin, But fentanyl, I'm not really that. Uh don't have much expertise there. How does that work? And we should find that out. When you buy these fentanyl pills, is it just to get high on fentanyl, is it.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 3: Well, you got to imagine it's got filler like any other Yeah, yeah, I know, I know the amount of the active ingredient.
Speaker 2: Yeah course.
Speaker 1: I mean if it were if you're pure fentanyl, you'd be dead in ten seconds.
Speaker 3: But so are they cutting this or breaking it down? I don't know what these are pills.
Speaker 1: These are manufactured pills, you know, done by you know, on machinery on I assume modern pill making machinery.
Speaker 3: I wonder what the turnover is like in that factory. Yeah you didn't there's guys. Yeah, it drops. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, twenty million, that's four million pills.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of twenty year old guy.
Speaker 4: Debbie has arrived. We're talking about Hurricane Debbie who It was a tropical storm. It increased to hurricane strength in the Gulf of Mexico and then made landfall in Florida this morning with winds blowing eighty miles per hour. It's got high winds, higher gusts, and a storm surge. And then as it moves through Florida, it's expected to lose some of its gas, but still we'll pack quite the punch. Thirty inches of rain expected in some areas.
Speaker 2: Thirty inch of rain. I mean, what do you do with thirty inches of rain?
Speaker 1: And then what you're going to be, as I said when we opened the show, Amy, you are going to be reporting this morning it'll be a yard and a half of rain will be arriving.
Speaker 2: I mean it will be by wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Is that crazy?
Speaker 1: Do you remember when in southern California if there was half an inch of rain, that was big news.
Speaker 2: A half inch of rain at a time.
Speaker 3: You're measuring rain like we measure snow. Yeah, essentially at this point, all right, this is at the top of the WTF file. Robert F. Kennedy Junior, you know, the independent presidential candidate. He confessed yesterday that he left a dead bear cub in Central Park in Manton there in twenty fourteen because he thought it would be amusing, weird ass story. And he's coming out because he did an interview, I guess with the New Yorker and it's going to be coming out and he wanted to get ahead of the story. He said he was looking forward to seeing how they spin this one. But he told Roseanne Barr about the ordeal, and he explained that I guess somebody he was driving somebody hit a bear in Hudson Valley. He saw a woman in a van hit and kill the young bear. He pulled over, picked up the bear, put him in the back of his van because he says he was going to skin the bear. It was in good condition. He was going to put the meat and his refrigerator.
Speaker 1: All right, And I want to make a point here, Okay, I am sick and tired of these presidential candidates leaving dead bears in Central Park story.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: That's I'm up to hear with those.
Speaker 5: I won't add those stories anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, limit them to one a week maybe, But what.
Speaker 2: He's a fruitcake anyway. He is a complete fruitcake to begin with.
Speaker 3: Okay, you say that, But the more these stories come out, I'm like, I gotta have a drink with this guy. I like, I'm curious. I'm not gonna vote for him, but I'm curious about him because listen, is that horrible? I guess, And somebody is it funny? Yeah, he put it next to a bike to make it look like the bike. The bear where it's demented but I mean the bear was dead already. I don't know. It's just a weird ass story. And the guy and there's something dead behind his eyes when you look at him, there's something like he's not present. Whenever I see his.
Speaker 2: Dad of him, what his dad? That's a horrible all right, we're done.
Speaker 5: COVID has some staying power.
Speaker 4: California's summer COVID surge has been particularly strong and enduring. They're saying that the case numbers are about double what they were a month ago. The surge probably related to the ever more infectious sub variants. The ones going around now are the flirt variants, and Elizabeth Hudson, who's the regional chief of infectious Disease at Kaiser Permanente Southern California, says it's expected because they're getting weaker, which means they're getting more infectious, so the virus can survive.
Speaker 3: It's becoming endemic.
Speaker 2: Doctor Jim Kenney has told us about this.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be get the it's gonna be the flu, that's.
Speaker 2: What it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: And you're gonna get a flu shot every year, and it's going to be combined with the COVID shot and it's gonna be one happy inoculation every year.
Speaker 3: You've had it, right handle I had?
Speaker 1: I think, Well, I don't know, because in those days we didn't know that it was COVID. I got it in December before we knew in February that it was COVID.
Speaker 3: Before it was.
Speaker 1: We knew, we knew there was something coming out, and I got it pretty early. I was sick as a dog. Whether it was COVID or not, I don't know. Since then, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think I might have had it before my surgery. Yeah, you know, you don't know, because I had this weird thing, and that would have been in late November.
Speaker 1: Yeahcember, that's early days. That's early days have had it. March is where it really we realized it was COVID and it was differentiated and it was and people were dying at that point. I mean, I got pretty sick, but not everybody died, obviously, because a.
Speaker 3: Friend of mine has it now and she's miserable. She said it was pretty it's our third time, says, who is this a friend of mine?
Speaker 5: Oh okay, yeah, two of my best friends haven't right now.
Speaker 3: Oh man, don't go around Amy, Luckily.
Speaker 5: They don't live here anymore. They're up in passa roab lists.
Speaker 3: M hm, well you travel all right, So you heard Amy talking about this on wake up call this morning. How crazy is that? Normally you gain pounds when you go to Orange County Fair. Someone became a millionaire by gaining moolah. Lucky person purchased a one million dollar Multiplier Craze Scratcher ticket at the California Lottery Live booth, which was operated by five Star Liquor from Westminster.
Speaker 2: Is that what hear?
Speaker 3: Amy?
Speaker 1: We never hear of million dollar winters, winners with Chris scratchers.
Speaker 5: No, that's that's pretty unusual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we don't even hear a small zillion dollar winters. You know, we hear with billion and four hundred million. But when it's thirty four million dollars and it opens up at twenty six million dollars, someone's in it.
Speaker 2: Do you even do you even report that?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 4: We, but we not as much anymore because now we're getting those huge billion dollar dollars jackpots.
Speaker 5: But we do.
Speaker 3: We're getting under right, and you're not gonna go someone won five hundred thousand dollars with a scratcher.
Speaker 4: Well, we do fit's a local person and they matched like five of six, not with the scratchers, but with the lotto tickets. And then every once in a while you get a scratcher, that's a big payoff. We'll mention that like that one getting a first look at the killers. LAPD has released some security images of the people's suspected of shooting General Hospital actor Johnny Whacter. Remember it happened in downtown LA back on May twenty fifth. He had just gotten off a shift as a bartender and confronted three people who were trying to steal his catalytic converter. One of the guys pulled out a gun and shot him, killed him. The guy they're looking for has a tattoo above his left eye and on his right cheek, and police are also saying the getaway car was a stolen twenty eighteen black four door Infinity Q fifty with a tan interior, of course stolen, so chances of them still having it, who knows?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really I mean, just the horrific look.
Speaker 1: He sees things as being told and he goes over there, sees that it's they're going for his catalytic converter confronts them and they just point blank shooting. Also with this story, it just re emphasizes how fickle acting is. He's a star of General Hospital, a star twenty twenty to twenty twenty two, and he is a bartender.
Speaker 3: Yeah, isn't that interesting that it's a fickle business.
Speaker 2: It's a fickle business.
Speaker 4: My favorite story is there was a guy and I don't remember the actor's name, but you'd probably recognize him, but he's been in a couple of movies and I saw him doing the what's it called Vita mix at the costco. He's doing vitamins demonstrations and he'd been in a series of movies and I was like, oh, my goodness. Yeah, how your fortunes turn around so quickly?
Speaker 2: Or or or waiting between parts?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean you even reasonably successful actor is there's going to be a lull uh and you're going out auditions but you know, maybe you want to do something and probably not, You're probably miserable.
Speaker 3: If you do. You recognize them and say something. Because I've been served by actors, fairly well known actors, working actors. I've been served by them. Do you mention Hey, I enjoy your work, or because I don't think, Hey, work is work?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No, I've recognized you know someone now you know same thing.
Speaker 2: Service, Go hey, how's your career doing working out for you?
Speaker 5: Is that what you said?
Speaker 3: Of course people don't recognize your voice handle when you go. Do you want fries with that?
Speaker 2: Of course they hey, of course they do, all right.
Speaker 3: The Vatican has joined in on the chorus of what I'm going to call confusion. But they say that the drag queen's mocking Christianity and a parody of the Last Supper, as this is a really delayed reaction at the opening of the Paris Olympics, and so the Holy See, the governing body there, I guess the Vatican says that they were offended and that it was an attack on Christianity. Of course we know that that was not Jesus in the Last Supper, but it was a nod to Dionysus, who is an interesting cat unto himself, Olympian god of wine, vegetation, pleasure, festivity, madness and wild frenzy. And I think they nailed.
Speaker 1: It fas still and from the beginning, though I correct you a little bit. I mean it's gaining let's say it's a snowball rolling in terms of the the anger with it.
Speaker 3: And also, but it wasn't Christ.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it could easily been interpreted to Christ.
Speaker 1: And then there was the story tells us about the pre recorded depiction of and I quote Randy Young clowns roaming the streets of Iris before initiating a MENAJATOI.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that one the Vatican has a problem with.
Speaker 1: How about those priests conforting with those eight year old boys running around.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they're going to be upset with that.
Speaker 3: The reality is it is the hosting country trying to show their culture and beliefs. It's not about us. And as a Christian, you know, I pretty much know that people are going to come out and mock religion and faith of any kind except Muslims.
Speaker 2: But that's because you die if you do that.
Speaker 3: You said it, not me. I'm just saying that it's gonna happen. And if you ever saw a painting of Dionysus, you'd go, yep, that's the guy right there from the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: US F sixteen's are taken to the skies over Ukraine President Zelenski has confirmed for the first time that the the F sixteen fighter jets are in his country. He's been trying to get them since the start of the war, like two years ago. They said that we need this to defend against Russian missiles. And now the F sixteens will be able to provide air cover for troops, attack ground targets, take on enemy planes, and intercept missiles. They're not saying how many they have, but apparently their pilots have been training, and he said that they are in the skies.
Speaker 5: Oh and he said, oh, and we need more.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A couple of problems with the F sixteens is, first of all, they're obviously American made and they're American jet fighters, and Ukrainians have never had F sixteens. They've actually always had Russian planes. And these fighter pilots have been training for about six nine months.
Speaker 2: Takes three years to really know that airplane.
Speaker 1: So that is a huge disadvantage that they're going to have. And it is is it going to really tilt anything. It's not going to make that big an impact. More of a morale issue, and the Russians at this point are winning. I mean they are just grinding outland. It's just you know, by the hundreds of thousands of soldiers.
Speaker 3: It's fodder.
Speaker 2: And this is how Russia.
Speaker 1: Won World War Two, by the way, is it just eight up its fighting men, that's it by the millions. So you know, we'll see what happens on this one boy. Did Prutin guess wrong on this? And he keeps on doubling down, doubling down and doubling down. He thought he was going to take ke Evan three days.
Speaker 3: All right. Rioters are setting fire and they even broke into hotels used to shelter asylum seekers in northern England just yesterday, as the country is in this weird state of unrest. They haven't seen this kind of unrest in years. The violence was triggered by the stabbing of three young girls in Southport, Northwest England, earlier in the week. So far right, they say, are seizing on this, spreading a wave of what some called disinformation, saying false claims that the attacker was an immigrant.
Speaker 2: Who wasn't And he wasn't.
Speaker 3: No, it was born in Britain. Yeah, but anti Muslim answer.
Speaker 2: We don't even know if he was a Muslim or not. Has that information been released.
Speaker 3: No, But I think it's interesting that they say, police say the suspect was born in Britain, but they never ever refer to I mean, who cares?
Speaker 2: Well, No, it's a question of I tell you who cares.
Speaker 1: People that are looking at the right wing, whether they're just making it up, well, you know what, you're right, who cares?
Speaker 2: They're gonna do it anyway? Good peat.
Speaker 3: It's not about that. I mean, they were born, they're British. Who cares what they're faith?
Speaker 2: All right, We're done, guys.
Speaker 1: KF I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 1: Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.