Speaker 1: Hey guys, I'm Jack Murphy. This is the Team House and we're here in studio with our guest today, Kenny Robertson. He is a former Marine served in an Army one hundred and first Airborne and then had an extensive Special Forces career in fifth Group. And I mean a whole bunch of different things that you got involved in, teaching the PJ course, going over to Ukraine, doing executive protection jobs. And today you're with waypoint six. Do you want to tell people, like just off the top of the interview what way point six is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, Jack, thanks for having me. What we're going to talk about a little bit as' side of my military history, which a lot of the viewers are well aware of, but his veteran mental health, which can kind of be a boring topic for most guys, but starting to become a lot less taboo. So after my years of service and after a lot of things that I found that shaped me to be a guy that did not want to be, it took a little bit more than just a talk therapy or go into a VA so sua sponte. I end up out of the country, down in Central America and find myself in the middle of an ayahuasca ceremony and way point six was derived from that. So I founded that based off of my experience working with the plant medicine. So now we're able to take veterans down to Central America, and we even have a spot locally in Texas where we're able to operate out of and we're getting guys the mental health treatment that they need.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, and we'll get into that a little bit deeper later on in the interview. But to go more or less like in chronological order, tell us a little bit about, you know, how you grew up and how that took you towards the military.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I grew up in Virginia and outside of Richmond, not a big city kind of I was more than rural areas.
Speaker 1: And you know, my dad had land.
Speaker 2: It would take me out hunting and fishing. So I was working with guns from a small age and you know, kind of learning a little bit about the land and.
Speaker 1: I found my way into.
Speaker 2: I was trying to play pro football, but it turns out, Jack, I'm not that I'm not that big, I'm not that good. I had football, so I needed another option, and driving race cars was out of my budget. So I had to pick something, and honestly, I was like, man, the Marine Corps. That looks cool. This is in the nineties. What was cool about it was the dress blues. Let's just be honest, like they got snappy uniforms.
Speaker 1: They do look good.
Speaker 2: That pretty much is a defining factor of how good of a marine you are, how high and tight is your hair, and how much starch is on your uniform.
Speaker 1: Now not so much, But I think the only thing that matters is the guys that qualified on iron sits versus everyone.
Speaker 2: Who came ironsights. Obviously, you know in the ninety that's all we had, right, So you had to be able to run fast and have a tight haircut. So yeah, that that uniform was that drew me in. I did that, but realizing that the head didn't fit in the jar. And this was before Mars sok, this was before anything that was So what year is this that you went to boot camp ninety seven and what unit did you end up in the Marines? So I was over at Camp La June, ended up on I started out. I was with intelligence. Yeah, it turns out a loss of security clearance. I can't tell you that it happened, but it did. So I ended up with a squadrons across the road over at New River, and so.
Speaker 1: I was there.
Speaker 2: By the time he got out of all the training and stuff, almost the first year is gone. So after a few years I decided that Nope, this isn't for me. There was no war happening, so I'm done. And then I got out, and then there was a war, so I needed to make a move and I did that pretty quick.
Speaker 1: So you get out and after it's after nine to eleven that you see this opportunity. Yeah, yeah, And so what year did you reenlist in the Army and no one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, went right back in. And when that happened, I could just jump into the one hundred and first because when you were in the Army and you wanted to go be a marine, and I had this in my Marine Corps, we call it boot camp, right, Army is basic training. I've never gone to Army basic training.
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a E five sergeant in the Army in Marine Corps boot camp. I didn't have to do it. So they were just like, Nope, you can just go right into the Army and you just there. You go here and here's a costume. Go all right, and uh so I did jump went over to the hundred and first and they're like, yep, we're going, uh, we're gonna do this thing over in Iraq. And I'm like, yeah, that's why I'm here, let's go, So off we go.
Speaker 1: So now we're into like two thousand and one, two thousand and two and like the build up for a racket starting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I didn't even really get a chance to get into a build up. I just go right over like I don't know, two weeks after i'd gotten in holy shit, yeah, and I'm probably three weeks. It was a very they were just they're pumping guys out.
Speaker 1: You go through.
Speaker 2: Med pros and you go through a couple of things and they're like, here you go, man, here's your initial issue.
Speaker 1: You're green on good luck. Here's yeah.
Speaker 2: I got like three different color camos. I got, like I don't know, something in desert, I got something green. I got so it it was uh, it was definitely while we It was some weird times. Uh.
Speaker 1: And I was young.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know anything about the army, right, so I was still bringing Marine Corps, which they bring a lot of pride, morale, all kinds of stuff that in the army they don't quite have. The discipline isn't quite there.
Speaker 1: They're calling like the East seven's gunny. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, For a few times I would call it like sergeant first class and I just just say sorry. I was like, I'm down programmed to do that.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't do that. So and I'd still.
Speaker 2: Wear a high and tight like the first don't know two years, I'd be out like in I wrapped, trying to like cut my hair all looking like I'll get a horseshoe, like I'm trying to keep people at work until nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: So you went and met your unit that was already ford deployed. Yeah, what brigade did you go to?
Speaker 2: I was over with third.
Speaker 1: Okay, So tell us a little bit about what that experience was like about OIF one.
Speaker 2: So OIF one was not a lot of rules and regulations at the at that time, and we also didn't know what the hell we were doing except just go take everything, occupy land, go take take real estate. So we would we started. We pushed up to most Seoul and then we pushed out west out in the Talifar and kind of owned that whole northern area. Uh, and it was just kind of just chaos. Yeah, I mean from Kuwait to Missoul.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the fun thing about it was, you know, the former the vice President of the United States at the time, former what CEO of company that built the entire cities that we then later on lived in. Before all that could happen, Uh, we didn't have anything, just what you brought right, right, and you're stringing up without fifty cors to wash your clothes and dry them, sleeping under a truck when we still slept under trucks. But now you know the safety guy won't let you do that anymore. So uh, yeah, we just it was you ride around in your trucks, you lived in your truck, you lived with your platoon, and you would get resupply with some food and you would just be out and about. We would take over whatever it might be a palace, we might take over any type of real estate, and then that would kind of become where we lived and you might stay there for a few months and then you're just pushing out and going and finding bad guys. But of course at that point, everybody was a bad guy, we just showed up into their neighborhood.
Speaker 1: They don't like that.
Speaker 2: You come to my house at two am with big green eyes. You're going to be met, you know, with a field of fire. But I didn't expect that they felt that way, right, So I'm going to show up at their house at two o'clock in the morning and like, I just kicked down your door. Why are you shooting at me? You're a bad guy.
Speaker 1: Did you guys have some pretty big dust ups with the Iraqi Army at that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely a lot of conflict because a lot those guys didn't want us there either, at least from my perspective of it. Some of their some of their I guess like their high ranking officers, understood the political portion of that and what we brought to the table. By that, I mean our weapons and our aircraft. Like they knew that that was important, right, and that's what they were going to be able to use to take back over their country. But a lot of the other like junior guys, the enlisted guys, they didn't really want to.
Speaker 1: Work with us. They didn't want to stare at all. It's interesting. I mean, I had a lot of people tell me that at the time, maybe like eighty percent of Iraq supported disposing of Saddam Hussein. But you know, then the question becomes, well, why are you guys still here? Right?
Speaker 2: So I think the problem and it was the same in Afghanistan. It was when I say that they don't want to work with us, so they because they're going to they sit down on the objective. We can't really push them to do. But so much their work ethic is different. Yes, right, So if we're out on a hit, we're out doing a raid. If we're halfway through it, we're still in a gunfight. They're just gonna go sit down. They're just not into it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The curds up North were a lot better than some of the other cats that we had to work with. Those dudes were pretty motivated to get the job done, but a lot of these units just didn't want to.
Speaker 1: It reminds me, you know, you talk about like doing CQB and like theriorities of work in the room and all that kind of stuff. Remember, I had one of these guys walked right through the door, did not clear any corners at all, went right to the refrigerator, popped it open, shuffled around in there, shut it, sat down on the couch like we're all there like doing this, trying to clear the structure.
Speaker 2: Like, what the fuck that is a priority of work.
Speaker 1: Screaming. I was screaming at this guy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it is different, dude, they'll take smoke breaks or after it. Man, we're in a gunfight, I'm treating a patient and they just come over. They just sit down and they're just like, we're good, We're gonna take fifteen.
Speaker 1: What were some of the like memorable actions that you know you recall from the invasion.
Speaker 2: Crashing? Oh yeah, yeah, uh so, no, I don't think I can call it a crash. I think I call it a hard landing twice. So I actually, Aside was in a black Hawk for They needed some dudes to help with the air crew. So they were having guys fly the left seat behind the pilot. On the black Hawk, you got a left seat in the right seat where the crew chiefs would be. They would have one crew chief because those birds in the air like all day, all night, right, They're constantly working. So they hey, we need dudes to help augment And I was like, man, that sounds cool.
Speaker 1: I'll be a door gunner.
Speaker 2: So yeah, man, I got to hang out and we had the old m sixties at the time. We were just starting to get some two forties like in you know, four or fives when they first got fielded out there. But man, they have sixties at that time. So I got to ride a lot of left seat. I think I got close like five hundred and some hours and that thing. Yeah, it was ridiculous because you go out for twelve hours a day, they'd break. They're not supposed to break this crew rest they have to they can only out for a certain amount of time. But you know, the rules were slightly you know, they they worked with them a little different right right back then. So we had some two hard landings about six months apart, and I was on that aircraft both times, and I had the same crew chief with me. It messed him up, like uh he had I mean, his head got scrambled. So he ended up having to get out seek a lot of he had a lot of TBI stuff going on and a lot of VA appointments. I just kept driving on and then the same pilot both times, different co pilot or maybe he but it was the co pilot and it was a different pilot, but same dude. He ended up when we got back to Fort Campbell. That dude, that pilot ended up, he died in another crash that was training accident. Yeah, so those were definitely some. We actually were flying the Speaker of the House at the time, Bill Hastard, and we crashed with him. He was he was in the other aircraft like we were like the gunship that was supporting him and we crashed.
Speaker 1: So were you one of the dudes that was there when they found u DA and QSA, Because I remember one.
Speaker 2: Hundred first was first was there? I was not there, gotcha?
Speaker 1: It was in the region, but.
Speaker 2: Not unfortunately I missed out.
Speaker 1: So you were over there. Sounds like you're pretty busy. No, no shortage of jobs to do. Yeah, we have plenty of work. Yeah. How did kind of that like campaign wind down for you? Ah?
Speaker 2: That was it when we just we were done, came back home and then uh, it was just one day. We actually started building some pretty good fobs and we were hiring some local force dudes. I was paying them four dollars a day in cash and they were a lotning them up. At the end of the day. They did work for eight nine hours digging ditches, building stuff with you know wood that we were you know, a crew and to build whatever kind of structures or places for guys to live and things like that. So it was kind of a fun transition when you know, I got to see that we were doing something was happening r right.
Speaker 1: It was like we were leaving.
Speaker 2: Us some kind of infrastructure in place.
Speaker 1: So that was good.
Speaker 2: Now, we did have an interpreter that I worked with, not like I said, daily, but definitely mostiple times.
Speaker 1: A week, and.
Speaker 2: We would have to get money from accounting and then we would use that cash, you know, we'd pay out our dudes. We'd have contractors to help moving heavy equipment, moving earth whatever. So my interpreter was kind of also like the contract liaison, and a pile of money got him killed once he left outside of the fob. Yeah, so that that happened after I'd go out to the edge of the fob that we were building every day and I had this like big concertina wire fence. It was probably like I don't know, eighty feet fifty feet or something, and there'd be one hundred and fifty dudes packed into this thing trying to get them to do work force because they're getting that four dollars a day in cash, right, So they would they would be out there and me and Chris.
Speaker 1: Would go out and it was just chaos. Man.
Speaker 2: He got all these dudes trying to and most of them were good dudes, Iraqi citizens that wanted to get some work. And so they're like they're begging, you know, and they're gonna come up to you, and they're gonna be with the man. You start touching us, like at we're freaking out. We're still I mean, I don't know what the hell's going on at this point. He come up here and you start touching me. Now I feeling like you're reaching for my magazines or whatever. Now I'm screaming like a fool. Everybody get down, like I'm rambo, you know, bring a two oh three out one day just to I don't have any.
Speaker 1: No ammunition for it.
Speaker 2: But they don't know this, you know, just to make a sound like a racking a shotgun. So it was, uh, it was interesting to say the least, just trying to do like two dudes trying to do this crowd control and then you grab ten, twelve, fifteen guys and they throw them in the back. You know, I drove one truck, he drove another truck. It was just kind of all over the place. You're also a young guy.
Speaker 1: Kind of sounds like in some ways acting like the mayor of a little town.
Speaker 2: Early twenties. I did not have any business doing what I was doing, or doing what I thought that I was doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes it's better you don't. You don't know when better at the right. One thing I love about summer is how easy everything feels. The days are a little more relaxed, and I find myself reaching for the same comfortable, go anywhere pieces again and again. That's why I keep coming back to Quints. They focus on well made essentials that naturally become those everyday staples you actually live in all season long. Quinc is one hundred percent European linen pants and shirts are breathable, easy to throw on, and the summer upgrade your rotation needs. Starting at just thirty four dollars. Their teas are soft enough to live in all day, and lightweight cotton sweaters are exactly what you want when summer nights cool down. Everything at Quint's is priced fifty to eighty percent less than similar brands. They work directly with ethical factories and cut out the middlemen, so you're paying for exceptional quality, not brand mark up. And it's not just clothing. Quints has become a trusted favorite for everything from home to travel to everyday essentials. Make your summer wardrobe easier. Go to quints dot com slash house for free shipping on your order and three hundred and sixty five day returns Now available in Canada too. That's q u i ncee dot com slash house for free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns quints dot com slash house. Guys, if you're a lady, or your fella or that person that sends you an eggplant emoji at two am is ready for better sex, then you should be two That's where blue Choo comes in. They have been on a mission for years to help get you bricked up, build your confidence, and help you actually perform in the bedroom. Their new arousal boosting formula, blue Chew Gold, is helping millions of men have better sex in twenty twenty six. While most eed meds focus only on blood flow, blue Chew Gold goes further by combining two ingredients for blood flow with two ingredients for mental ear and connection, so you're not just physically ready, you're actually in the mood. This type of innovation is why Blue Choo Gold is the number one brand in a rectile function. Don't let your mind get in the way of a good time. Discover your options at blue cheo dot com. And we've got a special deal for our listeners right now. When you buy two months of blue Cheo Gold, you get a third for free with the promo code house Call. That's promo code house Call. Visit blue cheo dot com for more details and important safety information, and we thank blue Cheo for sponsoring this podcast. So when you get back to the United States, when does SF sort of come into the picture for you? How's that on your mind?
Speaker 2: So when I was deployed, I saw dudes that looked a lot cooler than me.
Speaker 1: They had pockets on their sleeves and bevelcrow.
Speaker 2: I remember I was coming from the Marine Corps. I didn't know anything about the Army. So this guy, Chris, I'm talking about who those cats?
Speaker 1: Like? There?
Speaker 2: Those are Special Forces? Man, they don't even exist. I see them right there. He's like, no man, you can't do that, okay, Like what do you gotta do? He's like, oh, he advertises Seer school because that's all he.
Speaker 1: Knew about it. He's like, oh man, you gotta like, you know, go live in the woods and survive.
Speaker 2: All right, let's try it. So uh yeah, man, you talk to a recruiter that tells you a little bit more about it, still slightly vague. I was like, yeah, let's give it a go. And uh I got in shape and I went to a selection and uh yeah that sucked.
Speaker 1: That was what year was that that you went to selection?
Speaker 2: Eight seven?
Speaker 1: Okay? And then uh yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was like, you know that you got to fill a wish list and I was like, I'm gonna speak Arabic and be an eighteen delta and they were like sold and like got it, man, Like skip selection, you just go right to the course and train this.
Speaker 1: Guy who wants that.
Speaker 2: So uh yeah, I got what I wanted and yeah that was that was super interesting And I got through the medic course. Uh it made it out to fifth group.
Speaker 1: What was kind of your impression going through the Q course at that time? Was it sort of the the experience that you were hoping for Yeah, it was professional. It was really professional because especially the eighteen Delta course.
Speaker 2: That part was definitely, uh, that was an experience that because that's long, you know, going through that. It was a year long, and it was it was run by civilians. I mean, there was definitely a lot of military cadre there, but it was a majority of it were civilians PAS, retired guys. Yeah, a lot of retired eighteen Deltas dudes that have now gone on to nursing school, dudes that have gone on to become PAS, civilian PAS, dudes that have had a lot of experience. And these guys are super smart, like ridiculously intelligent and trying to teach me how to be a doctor and a surgeon in.
Speaker 1: Less than a year.
Speaker 2: And I was like, man, I you know, I couldn't even put on a band aid, you know, before going to this course, I had no idea about trauma medicine. Guys are teaching me how to do an IV you know, back when I was in the regular Army and I didn't understand the concept of like a needle and a catheter. That's foreign to me. I have no idea how I made it through that course zero social life, three hours of studying every night, and a lot of luck. Yeah, because I ask you some really crazy questions on there on these tests and you're getting tested every every few days, right, So and then they've got so we had cadavers in this course and we had this pin test which on went as a cadre like anatomy. Yeah, as a cadre, I tried to help alleviate some of that struggle because it's it's at a doctorate level, for sure. It's asking you about You've got this cadaver that's broken down into all the nerves, vessels, veins, everything you can imagine, and it's asking you not specifically, like what muscle is this? Like okay, cool, but what happens when you flex this muscle? What does this one do? And then the nerve that attached to that and the innervation of that nerve and say what the what do I need to know this for? So yeah, and you forget it.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: That was my point when I went back to as a cadre. I was like, we don't need this, Maks, We're not going to use it.
Speaker 1: Right, So I don't know. And was there a final exercise in the course back when you went through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not it was, but it was. It was kind of watered down. Uh, it wasn't. It was very anti climactic, which is actually one of the things that I wanted to change during my tenure there. So I think we did a pretty good job of doing that. We actually brought in a whole different phase during my time because I went back as a cadre later on for that Delta course and we were able to include prolonged field care because that wasn't a.
Speaker 1: Part of the course as the Golden Hour.
Speaker 2: And then you realize is that, okay, well we're actually going to have to sit on this dude for day or days again because Africa is going on and those dudes aren't getting a quick transport out of Africa. So when that happens, we're advertising that we can sit on a patient for seventy two hours. But yet we don't push blood, we don't do a lot in ventilation, we don't do a lot of things that we're advertising. You know, we might have practiced a skill one time, you know, for like two days, and then we move past it. That's not proficiency, right, I'm not gonna honestly expect myself to be able to go and handle that two years, three years from now. So a lot of that didn't get to.
Speaker 1: Change, and we were able to bring in a really good final training here. Yeah, we'll circle back around on that for sure. But after you graduate the course, you get assigned to fifth group for Campbell, Kentucky, and your first kind of spot that you need is fourth battalion. So now, what what is this two thousand and eight maybe, yeah, so we were there at the same time, actually, yeah, yeah, So what was your experience like on three five?
Speaker 2: It was it was awesome. One of my favorite teams that I was ever on.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Actually when I got there because they weren't spending up for deployments, so at that time at least not all the teams were. I went and did a Caribbean dive requel. I didn't even go to dive school yet, and I'm in the Caribbean for a month, so that was like, oh, this is a vacation. That was kind of one of the coolest training exercises that I'd gotten to go on.
Speaker 1: As I recalled, they had some of the teams going out on j sets around that timeframe, right yes, yeah, yep, we went.
Speaker 2: We were doing dive requalls and just starting to spin up later on, and then I went over to third Battalion.
Speaker 1: But I mean they sent you to dive school while you were there.
Speaker 2: No, oh really no, nope. So there was a I guess there was a school of thought at this point where Star Major was like, look at that time, no, that was ranger school because I was trying to go to ranger school at the time. He's like, man, I'm not going to lose you for sixty three days. I'm not gonna lose a Delta for sixty three days. This is just one Star Major's mindset at the time. Maybe more feeling that way. But you know, being a Delta, we weren't a lot of us, Like, not every team had two, right, so as you know, like a lot of teams had one, some teams didn't have any, you know, for periods of time. Matter of fact, I had to jump to a couple of different teams to help make their missions, even deployed with other teams, and even while I was gone on a deployment, the team would lose a medic and I'd go over and augment over for another team for a little while, so I did not get to go to CDQC. I did not get to go to Ranger school.
Speaker 1: Well, where where did you get sent I.
Speaker 2: Went to dive teams as a as a dry medic, I went to halo teams. Never got to go to Halo school. I got sent to J sets and deployments, so I didn't get to.
Speaker 1: Go to any school. So you're like a floating medic in some ways. Where which J sets did you get sent on? At the time? I did a lot of Lebanons. Oh really, Yeah, I didn't even really realize we were shooting people over there at that time. Yeah, we did a lot of Lebanons. Well what was that one? Like?
Speaker 2: So Lebanon is actually a pretty cool country. Well it was until recently, until it's now in shambles. But uh so the in Beirut is where the embassy was, the marine and barracks were there, and that got blown up.
Speaker 1: And that was what eighty eighty three.
Speaker 2: That's still there in all of its parts and pieces. Oh no, shit, there's still a fifty cow sitting up on the top under a cover. I don't know if it's the one from eighty three, but it's been up there for a very very very long time, and the people that work at the embassy were like, yeah, men, that's that's been here forever. So Levanon is.
Speaker 1: Kind of nice.
Speaker 2: You've got mountains, you've got beaches all in the same day. They've got ski resorts there, They've got like terrific restaurants, so that's kind of fun, right, But then you know, you get a couple of days of that, but then you're for another twenty thirty days up in the mountain in the cold, training these dudes, you know, walking through the through the mountains and put a POI together for a month or two and then come back down and enjoy a couple of days. But it was overall a pretty good jay set.
Speaker 1: I mean they had night.
Speaker 2: Life, they had and we'd get escorts everywhere we go. But then later on it became a lot more free when I ended up going back in twenty eighteen and kind of just do whatever, just as long as you got.
Speaker 1: Somebody with you. You know, we take we take a truck and high lucks and you can go out to eat restaurants or whatever. What was elect training the Lebanese Partner Force. So I have to you know, a lot of guys got foreign jump wings. Do you get any foreign jump wings Chilean? I believe Weirdly enough, that's yeah, So a.
Speaker 2: Lot of guys get like Italian and all kinds of stuff, right unless somebody out there, somebody can going to search internet and prove.
Speaker 1: Me wrong or.
Speaker 2: Make a comment that they got him after we did. As far as I know, we were the first team and only team to ever get the Lebanese A Assault Wings. Interesting because we trained their air assault unit and they had this aerosault school tower. We went repelling off their tower and then we got these Lebanese Assault Wings. There was only ten of us that got awarded that because not everybody.
Speaker 1: Went down the tower. The captain was doing something or whatever that day briefing. Another officer we've had sitting in that same chair, Mike Taylor, who was a Tenth Group guy, but back in the day, tenth Group covered down on Lebanon, Okay, and he was on the first MTT to Lebanon. I believe it was eighty three, and then uh Gary Harrington he was over there too, around around that same time frame. So yeah, it's just interesting to hear these different experiences, you know, and the more things change, the more they stay the same. I guess, yeah, one of the I think I went back again in.
Speaker 2: Fifteen or fourteen, and yeah, during a rotation in fourteen, I we were working with the dive team with the Navy Seals. So I was on a dive team at the time. So we went down and we were training their Navy Seals. And the irony is like there was a lot of dudes they couldn't swim, couldn't swim. So I could say, yeah, man taught the Navy Seals.
Speaker 1: How to swim.
Speaker 2: That sounded like a total ass by saying that, let's add their elevenies.
Speaker 1: You're telling these stories. I knew a couple of National Guard guys who had a really cozy gig going where every summer they'd go down to Jamaica and work with Jamaica. They have some sort of dive team, rescue dive team. I don't know what they are. Yeah, work with them every summer for a jay set like it's pretty cush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those were Those were pretty good times because we'd do a lot of water worn operations and uh, the Mediterranean is really good swimming. That's that's a great place to go. Dive, go swim, no sharks, that's a big worry. Now we'd go down in the Caribbean to do dive requall, we would out of teams, aren't Uh That do was awesome. Uh, he's still still a good friend. But he would purposely find like these coordinates of where these bunch.
Speaker 1: Of chumb the waters before they puts you in there, So we'll get to that one. So we'd go dive down.
Speaker 2: To where there's known to be a little shark neighborhoods and so it maybe sixty sixty five foot down. So going down to the bottom. Now was a civilian diver. So when I'm going down frequently, Yeah, I hadn't gone to CDQC, but I was a civilian diver from now. He and so I dove down and yeah, we'd be somewming around with those dudes. And so I got to swim with sharks, got to dive with sharks, which was terrifying, uh for the first like five minutes. And then once you kind of break that fear of it, and I'm not gonna say you don't notice him anymore, but you you pay him a little less attention. And I need to recognize that you're in there their area and they're just seeing what's going on, and uh, you know, I I think I played. I tried to play chicken with one. It was like kind of coming towards me a little bit, so I planed out. I started swimming towards him a little bit, like I thought I was a lot tougher than what that was. He didn't stop coming, So yeah, I bailed out, and uh yeah he won.
Speaker 1: I'll give it to him.
Speaker 2: But we did chump the water. We actually went out to this place called one two Bowie, one two Booie.
Speaker 1: Take the boats out.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna free dive out here. You're gonna go spearfishing my one two booie. Mind you is six thousand feet deep.
Speaker 1: This is like a collapsed volcano or something.
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell you, and I don't know. I mean that is terrifying, just psychologically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe not for everybody.
Speaker 2: For me, it was absolutely like just knowing that it's six thousand foot deep, for whatever reason, not gonna sink to the bottom. I got fins, I got a mask, doesn't matter if it's ten feet or six thousand. But the abyss just had me right, So okay, we splash in, we're swimming around, we're spearing some amberjack, you know, big amberjack. They're probably only this big, but nonetheless, so we throw them onto we're chumming the water ultimately, because we're throw them in a net that's hanging off the side of the boat and keeping them fresh. But you know, blood in the water. Now, we got some big dudes coming along. I mean I say big. They were probably seven eight foot and that was just that was uncomfortable. The first dudes I ran into were like six foot. If you had that extra couple of feet on there, that made a huge difference. So yeah, we got chased out of the water. And but we'd go do the three kse swim. You get dropped off three kilometers, you know, and you got ninety minutes and you're in your kit and you know you're out there. I know the Navy does it out there in San Diego, but uh, you know, we're doing the Caribbean, which is a lot nicer because you could see. The visibility was a lot better. You could see pretty far away those dudes were out there.
Speaker 1: Geez if upgrading your full sleep setup has been on the list for a while. Ghost beds. Fourth of July sale is the time to actually do it right Now. You can get two hundred and fifty dollars off mattress bundles, which means you can add cooling pillows, cooling sheets, or an adjustable base and still come out well ahead of what you'd pay anywhere else. And as a Teamhouse listener, you get an extra ten percent off on top of that using the code House. Ghostbed is a family owned company with more than twenty years of mattress making experience. Their background is in manufacturing, so every product in their lineup is built with the same focus on materials and construction rather than marketing spend in inflated markups. Every Ghostbed mattress is built with cooling from the ground up and their pro core support layer, which reinforces the center of the mattress where your body puts the most weight. Don't take it from me, They've got more than one hundred thousand positive reviews from people who made the switch and didn't look back. Mattresses are made in the USA and Canada and come with a one hundred and one night sleep trial. I asked in free shipping and a warranty up to twenty five years twice the industry standard. Not sure where to start, head to ghostbed dot com slash house and take their mattress quiz to find the right mattress. Then build from there. Go to ghostbed dot com slash house and use the promo code house at checkout. That's ghostbed dot com slash house promo code house. Some exclusions apply sea site for details. And so you spent some time. How long were you at fourth Battalion?
Speaker 2: I was just there for a year.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so they kept you busy in that year. Yeah, and then you, uh, how did you move over to third battalion? They needed some dudes over at third Battalion needed to medical they were rotating, so I ended up on h on three six.
Speaker 2: And that was good. That was uh well, best team in fifth group actually had the trophy, so uh had that for for a while.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: From three six I went to one two and did some deployments out there in the northern region. Now then one two we were attached to nine to five. Uh well, the old ODA five five. Oh yeah, so yeah, they did the initial invasion, so we went with them, and I got to work with nine to five for quite a while for that. You know a lot of that deployment and we got into some pretty good ticks. Where was that that was in outside of masarl Sharif it was in the north, so that's like, is that herat out in that area?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, it was outside of mez Okay okay.
Speaker 1: Uh. So well, first you were with three six. Did you get sent anywhere with that team? Lebanon? Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, that was your Lebanon tripp Orskotra did that Lebanon?
Speaker 1: Okay? And then one two to Afghanistan. Yeah, and you were the delta on the team, I take it. Yeah. And so what kind of stands out in your memory from that time? And what year was it that you were there?
Speaker 2: And I did that one twelve thirteen.
Speaker 1: So ben Laden has been taken out. Yeah, Like what was your conception of like what you were doing there? Why, why the team was there? You know at the time.
Speaker 2: Ever since, like the initial invasion and the reason that we went over there, in my mind, it was just full sent we have to go and do this for America. We've got to do this to protect our freedom. And it didn't matter about, you know, whether or not the leader of the largest terror of cell in the world was dead because all of them aren't dead, right, So that's still the problem. We have to finish all of it. What does finish look like?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, but then what does finish look like when no one else is standing except you know, the good guys?
Speaker 1: Which is kind of an insane objective when you think about it, right, reflect back on.
Speaker 2: That, And I'm not a lot of reflecting since then. So yeah, we'll get to that. But that was kind of the objective, is just keep going and keep trying to do well. We thought, man, this is God's work. You know, they're all bad guy and how we made him. We made a lot of those guys bad guys. Like I said, if you come to my house and you break in at you know whatever, two o'clock in the morning, I'm not going to be too happy about it.
Speaker 1: And it's like, if we weren't there, would that guy be trying to kill Americans? El Kada guy maybe, but like Taliban, dude, what the hell do they care? They know?
Speaker 2: But I'm over there and I'm in his house where his family sleeps. Yeah, it'll piss off the locals.
Speaker 1: He's got a problem with that. Yeah, And and I don't understand that at that time. At that time, Yeah, what were some of your more memorable experiences from that trip? Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's a good question, that's a very good question. I've got some maybe they're not the they're not good memories.
Speaker 1: They can be good, bad, funny or whatever you want. So we got Uh.
Speaker 2: So we were QRF one night, nine to five was on a hit, and so we're sitting by the fire aircraft is sitting there ready, and uh, we've got a package for them.
Speaker 1: We're gonna bring either AMMO.
Speaker 2: Or like some med supplies, a couple of different packages. So they're gonna go do this hit. We'll call it twenty three hundred, because I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: That was the time.
Speaker 2: The hit was about twenty three fifteen. The radio crackles, these dude's like we need some help, man, they're calling in the entire package. Okay, Like, bro, you guys us got on to the objective. Like we're en route. Everything is loaded up, we spin up and airborne we go. We're there and I don't know, thirty minutes maybe a little less, but hitting the ground. I know roughly where they are.
Speaker 1: We all do.
Speaker 2: So we've got Now we prepared with everything we packed, We packed it all. It should have been in a truck, but we don't have a truck. We've got a uh sixty and so now it's like a selection event trying to carry all of this shit because we're on a ridge line. So we've got to go down this ridge line like because aircraft won't even get us super close because it's going to drop us off, I don't know, five six hundred meters away from the objective. So now we've got to try to haul all this stuff and teams aren't like, can he go because they're they need medic support pretty bad. So me and a couple of guys we haul asked we're heading onto the X. Everybody else is like carrying equipment.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: So I get there and one of the the Bravo on the other team, he's walking up this little ridge line where we're linking up, and he's got a dude on his shoulder, and uh, I was like hey, He's like, oh, Kenny, you're here. Yeah, Bud. He's like, hey, I got somebody for you. Okay, cool, let's put put them over here on the flat ground. So he put them on the flat ground. Oh there's we're still in this like pretty good firefight going on. And so you know those three rules as f always look cool. That's rule number one, right, always look cool. So when I heard that in the selection, I was like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Marls or something, you know, watch gotta have it.
Speaker 2: And then rule number two is don't get lost, no problem. I had GPS stopping as directions. Rule number three is if you get lost, so cool doing it right. I really didn't understand that concept either.
Speaker 1: Maybe I was like the slowest guy.
Speaker 2: I slipped through somehow, but I didn't understand really what all that meant. And it might mean different different things to different guys. I'll tell you what it means for me. And it was there when he gave me this guy that's missing a big chunk of his head and he's got multiple gunshot wounds on him, and I'm like, oh, this dude is not in a good situation.
Speaker 1: He's not doing well. But you're the medics, so you got to medic.
Speaker 2: And now he brings me another guy. So I'm putting this one dude's head back together. I'm running through my algorithm. I got in the bleeding stopped and put his head back together. Dude brings me another guy. Now you know it's midnight ish. I don't think we have a full moon out, so the loom is very low and you know you can't white light anything. And just right there is the village that this gunfights still happening. I got my Bravos now showed up and he's running his gun. It's kind of loud, and I got two patients putting one's head back together, and now I'll get to the other one.
Speaker 1: I'm going through my.
Speaker 2: March algorithm massive memorage airway respiration. So I get to airway and I was like, it's not doing good. So I'm going to innovate this guy. And I've done this plenty of times in the hospital, but never during a gunfight at Ridge at midnight uns. So I start to open up his mouth and it's not really opening and I was like, you know what, I'm not even going to do this one straight because of injuries. Yeah, I was like, we went straight to the craik. I pull out my knife and then this jack. This is when it made sense because inside, I mean, I'm kind of freaking out, but you wouldn't know it, right, I've done this one hundred times a thousand times in training. So I'm like, look cool, right, just look calm and collected. And then all right, so I grabbed this dude's nick. I can't really see super good. So I've got a palpaid. I gotta feel the Adams apple. I gotta feel where that cartilage.
Speaker 1: Is going to be. And I was like, don't get lost.
Speaker 2: I start to make the cut, you know, I fuck get lost. THEOK, cool doing it, you know, success, success, drop the tube.
Speaker 1: Dam you know.
Speaker 2: Now I'm feeling like, oh man, I'm bad A big deal. I played it that way. Yeah, yeah, I definitely did not see that. Wasn't I a bingo card, you know, got up this morning?
Speaker 1: But there it is. We did it.
Speaker 2: Uh. And so that's where those three rules s F came in And that was kind of a memorable moment because then that carried with me for a lot of different things later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we ended up I had several.
Speaker 2: Patients that I had six patients medic on the on the team on nine to five ended up with shrapnel from grenade, through and through. He was meta fact first thing as we came in, so like it was me out there and I guess I got to learn a lot about a lot about me and a lot about the training. It really validated everything that that that soccam course is teaching. I mean, through those holes make the greatest medics in the world. I'm the biggest believer in that. Like, those guys are absolute studs. When you get out of that course. If you're able to make it through that course, very difficult first time go rate. But if you're able to make it through the course, you are for stellar. I would let any aging delta work on me before a lot of these, like some of these dudes out there in the civilian world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I trust ageing deltas and did that kind of like you said that kind of like stuck with you would did you find that, you know, in times of high stress you were able to remain calm.
Speaker 2: It's certainly helped out. Even working with some of the local populace. We would do these little kind of like a medcap right, so we do medical capabilities. I would show up as the you.
Speaker 1: Know, Western doctor kind of guy, you know, and I would get all kinds of folks out there. Kids.
Speaker 2: I had a kid, and I was seeing this kid every every few days. I'd have him come back, he was burned. The story that I got was they kept change, but nonetheless you take off, like from his feet to his head, just his whole body was completely different because of just the severity of the burns.
Speaker 1: Was this scarred over or is this still open?
Speaker 2: It was some still open and a lot of it was just scarred over. And he was still trying to heal from this. This is not a sterile environment that he's not at all. Yeah, So you know, I'm like, what I've got with me? Man, This guy needs a long term burn units he needs he needs surgeries, and I can't do that right. But I do have some things that I can do. I do have some pain medications to help him get through his day, and I can wrap him up and that psychologically makes him feel better. So that's a lot of curlics on this kid. But the family was very thankful and that showed gratitude enough, even though.
Speaker 1: I know that that's not what he needed. But I can't give him what he needed.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm going to do anything that I can, And I guess that made me feel that I was I was doing something good. But then who did that to this kid? Did we do that to this kid accidentally.
Speaker 1: Right in an air strike or something.
Speaker 2: Right, because we may have done that to not that kid, but somebody else. Sure when we're we were in uh, we were in a tick and we're getting after it. Everything was everything was going pretty smooth, what I thought, but he just wasn't ending. We're about nine hours into this thing. We got some support and so my Bravo is like, man, I got this three twenty, We got all these grenades, let's go, yep, let's do this. So we just we're just firing for effect because we're this one, this one group of houses. These dudes are just all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ants in the ant hill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like, you know what, cool, We're gonna do it. So we just start lobbing grenades in there, and we get a call from let's one thirty specter and it's like, hey, you guys got a dude running around on fire down there. I found this funny.
Speaker 1: At the time, like maniacally evil funny. Yeah, nine hours into the firefight, you're not thinking totally clearly.
Speaker 2: But then like fuck, man, you know I feel like I whenever I was running my gun, I felt like I wanted to I don't know, at least be decent about it, even back then, because I saw what happens with dudes that are really injured and all that pain and all that that I'm getting to witness as the medic. So I'm like, you know what, I'm I'm not gonna be that guy, right at least I'm gonna try to do my work to the fullest extent so that they don't have to because they don't have me on that other side, or a guy like me, you know, with with fentnyl lollipops and pushing ketamine and you know, this guy's gonna suck for a couple of minutes, but then I'm gonna take care of him and you know, snow him and he's gonna be okay. Pain wise. They don't have any of that.
Speaker 1: So I ought I was a.
Speaker 2: Good human, but you know, having that mindset, but then catching Scout on fire and I was like, I don't care, Like that's funny. That came back around years later.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't at the time. It felt completely normal to you.
Speaker 2: A lot of stuff that we did that looking back, it's like that was not normal, but.
Speaker 1: We normalize that, particularly, you know, when you're a special opsky like you deploying over and over and over again, having those like repeated exposures, like you can't help but feel like this is normal for you.
Speaker 2: You get numb to it. Yeah, you get numb. Like I said, I tried to add to keep the human factor involved in it, but there are definitely times where you felt it slip away.
Speaker 1: We just we're just.
Speaker 2: Doing work and it doesn't matter, and you have to just cut that off. No emotion, You can't show emotion to everything. This was all going to come and catch up to you some point, But I tell you.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna happen today.
Speaker 2: You know, during this during while we're out here on this mission, none of that's happening.
Speaker 1: I don't think. I think very few people even think that far ahead that you know, what are the long term repercussion.
Speaker 2: I wasn't thinking that at that time either. Yeah, like I don't think anybody was. Nobody really talked about that. And when you did have some kind of feelings, emotions, thoughts, mental health is what we're calling it now, right, nobody wanted to talk about that except one guy, and.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: There was probably a little bit of alcohol that might have gotten you know, moved around into the country that you know what might not have should have been there, but it was. And I think that that was a major contributing factor. But I did have a teammate. He was on the other team, but we were co located together and was going through some some struggles and I I found him with his nine millimeters in his mouth. That was a difficult encounter on deployment because oh shit, man, I gotta be super gentle with this, because.
Speaker 1: I could say the wrong.
Speaker 2: Thing or make the wrong move or whatever. And for fortunately, uh, I don't know a good two hours. You know, we talked earlier about you know, talk therapy, and you can go to a view, but if you talk to somebody that's you know, you're you're have done similar things right, you can probably get the point across a lot better and things can you know, a brotherhood type of thing that you can work out instead of talking to somebody that graduated a psychology degree and has never been in the military there might not shed the same insight. So I was able to work with him enough to get the gun out of his mouth, and two hours of talking, a lot of hugging, a lot of crying, a lot of all kinds of stuff that was very, very unusual for a situation like that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unexpected because.
Speaker 2: Guys didn't really want to talk about mental health. You just you go, you work, you you do things, and then.
Speaker 1: You keep that buried. You you keep it where you know, it doesn't doesn't need to come up.
Speaker 2: We don't talk about it.
Speaker 1: We don't. It's just I've heard stories over the years that, like, I really feel for some of these teams. In the story, it's always some variation of this. You know, my team sergeant got killed, my team leader got killed. The guys are hurting, but the mission continues. These teams are left out there on these little fobs to continue the mission, and stuff starts disappearing from the med cabinet. And that's kind of like what brings the whole the whole shit show starts rolling downhill, you know, as the guys come on glued over time and you can see how it happens.
Speaker 2: You know, that did happen, Not to me, not to my team. I was always very good on the accountability of our men's I'm still yet I've pushed a lot academy. I've never experienced kedemen a lot of other things, but ketamine. Never. Uh so maybe one day. But on another team, we're all going out on undeployment, you know, on several teams, all flying out together. This dude shows up.
Speaker 1: He's a medic, and he's just not looking good at all. And I can identify when a dude's been using. I don't know exactly what it is he's been using, but I know he's been using and he's got a problem.
Speaker 2: I didn't know the medic very well at all. You know, you guys in the down the hallway, this team's gone, this team's gone back and forth. It's like, oh man, you're the new guy here, like no, been here for three years, Like shit, I have never seen you, you know. Uh So it's kind of one of those deals. And I could tell that I was saying, you know what, this is actually good that he's going on this deployment because whatever he was doing, he needs to get away from that. Now I've got no oversight of the dude because they go on wherever the area that they're going to and.
Speaker 1: Out.
Speaker 2: He got into his medbox. So he went home, which also is not the answer, because when he got home he oded on heroin.
Speaker 1: And died. Jeez.
Speaker 2: So it's a slippery slope whether you know, I don't know the underlying circumstances, whether the guy just likes to get high, or whether it was a trauma related issue that he'd been experiencing through you know, previous deployments that he's not been able to deal with them, throw away his Special Forces career and then to start injecting heroin. Yeah, there's got to be some underlying issues. Definitely a situation going on. But he's not the only case. You know, for so many more, not just with heroin, but with one all types of drugs.
Speaker 1: Opiates, well, heroines and opiate but yeah, other opiates, yeah, and other drugs. All.
Speaker 2: I was not an exception to that rule.
Speaker 1: So, and what's that when you came back from some of these trips that you're kind of like self medicating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so during that time it was alcohol. As we talked about, alcohol is socially acceptable, especially in the army. Man, everybody's drinking in the in.
Speaker 1: The Army and.
Speaker 2: Team parties. You know, alcohol is always a staple. It's kind of the almost a focal point. So you get used to that just being the way that things are and that's just life.
Speaker 1: What we know but we don't.
Speaker 2: Really practice, is the fact that we have to understand that that is a depressant that will lower get all hippie woo woo now, but that lowers our vibration. Lowering that vibration allow some negative energy to come in. Now, when you got and you spend your life doing some negative energy filled stuff like going on raids and hits and you know, unliving people where there's being being in that environment where that's a thing like, some negative spirits are going to attach to you. Because now what's happening at home when you're out doing this. Now, for all guys, some guys have amazing you know, support systems back at home. Some guys don't. They come back the supports systems gone, right. This leads to a lot of divorce. This leads to a lot of you know problems. Now guys don't have their kids because of these divorced So now they're dealing with all this compound interest of guard bitch, right of trauma, not just from what they did in you know, pesh Merga, but what happened when they were gone and what they're dealing with now they're getting home, and so you turn alcohol. Turn alcohol, you lower your vibrations, you allow some negative energy to get into you, and then guys will black out right, they'll do stuff, say stuff. The next day they're like remember saying this, No, I don't. Yeah, some kind of dark spirit was in You take an over man and live in your body. And we do that. We do that for years, and that one thing leads to another. You start with the alcohol, you move on to something else, some other kind of drugs, whatever those may be. Prescription pills. Tramadol was a big one that guys really liked because that was an opioid and pain medication. Just pop that pills like a really good looking approx uh that takes the pain away. But then you become addicted to that, like you just need that to just keep on the function. And that's the same with most all of those types of opioids.
Speaker 1: And also the guys. You know again, I can feel like sympathetic for it. As a guy goes through their career, starts racking up injuries, like there's a toll on the body as well, not just the mind. And some of these guys start using steroids because they want to stay on their team. They want to stay on the game. They worked very hard to get to that position. They don't want to leave because their vertebrae are fucked up.
Speaker 2: Or when they got injured, so they need to get something to.
Speaker 1: Help them get right right, and things just continue to kind of spiral.
Speaker 2: It does, and then it happened to me. They go into these like subcultures, and motorcycle brought me into a whole new subculture, as it did with a lot of guys.
Speaker 1: When did that begin?
Speaker 2: And I got my first bike when I was eight. I've always been riding, and I've had Harley's for twenty years. And everybody knows about all these you know, high and one percent clubs, you know there, They got movies about them and TV shows and documentaries, Hell's Angels, Outlaws from Hagan's, and those helped kind of spawn other clubs that a lot of veterans are involved in. And you go around to these military bases, there are a few other kind of big clubs that will also feed into those big one percenter clubs. Now, a one percenter club is going to run the whole like whatever territory. So if your club is in that territory, you answer to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you want to wear the you gotta be subservient to whoever the big daddy is in that region.
Speaker 2: And there are military veterans active and retired that will prospect. They will go through six months a year, sometimes longer depending on the club, to earn that three piece patch to go ride their motorcycle along with a bunch of other dudes wearing that patch. Yeah, it's not quite Sons of Anarchy, but it sometimes it's not too far off from that. Depends on how deep some of these guys can. Military organizations are involved in some of that, which then spawns into a lot more alcohol use, drug use, which in the micro community they like speed, those dudes like methan, phatamines, cocaine. Not to saying all the veterans organizations that ride motorcycles are doing that. What I'm saying is that you get you might get some exposure, a lot more exposure when you're around that type of culture than you would just being in the military.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And a lot of guys do get get exposed to that and then end up going down some of those.
Speaker 1: Routes and the MC's I've been told, like really love these guys because you've been trained to use weapons, explosives, you have all kinds of like counter surveillance training, you know how to like spot undercover cops and that kind of stuff. So like military or do you think military guys are like specifically sought after by some of these motorcycle clubs. They're looked into.
Speaker 2: And another one of the reasons is because they're also easily or more easy to be vetted. An example is if you're in one of these one percenter clubs, you're not gonna come from a law enforcement background. That's you have to hang around these clubs just as like a random dude a friend. It starts to get to know these guys that might last for a year two years, well.
Speaker 1: They call them like hang arounds or something around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then from there they might ask you, you know, if you wanted to step up and participate more.
Speaker 1: They might allow you to then be.
Speaker 2: Become a prospect or probate, and you might do that for a year two years before you can become a full patch member. That's a whole vetting process. They're vetting you, you're vetting them.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not gonna if you're a military at least you're they know a lot more about you. You you come in qualified, you come in with not just that background knowledge, but also it's easy to know that you're not a cop.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, yeah, the police aren't going to put you in the military, so you can infiltrate a biker gang, right yeah.
Speaker 2: And there was some guys that did go towards the one percent route from the military, in the Outlaws and in that was Angels.
Speaker 1: After some of those trips with nine to five, I mean, were you still in fifth group after that or were you moving on to Swick? Then I went over to Swick, Okay, yeah, I went to the Delta committee, gotcha. So what was it like becoming an eighteen Delta instructor?
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, it's pretty cool job, I guess, because you know, the first time you go through the medic course as a student, you're just trying to survive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking through paper tube forget it.
Speaker 2: You're you were taking thirty maybe right, you learned something and you dump it because there's so.
Speaker 1: Much more You've got to learn this next week, and then it's just.
Speaker 2: Over and over and over again. I want you get out to the later phases of the course. The trauma phases, the hands on actually doing you know, life saving skills on on people, and also on we were using Cape Rine's goats. Those are the types of skills that stick with you, and you know those are That's a lot of fun to me, not working on the goats.
Speaker 1: I don't like that. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like animals, I don't like people. I didn't It wasn't my favorite part.
Speaker 1: I think every eighteen delta student hates goats by the time they get out of that course.
Speaker 2: If you try to feed it, Tommy and I'm gonna throw up.
Speaker 1: I can't stand the smell.
Speaker 2: It's just that I don't know PTSD and my old factory nerve is gonna That was awesome, But to answer your question, it actually started to get watered down during my second half of the tenure. The reason being is because there's a standard with everything across the board, whether that was Ranger School, whether and you know whatever.
Speaker 1: We can have that conversation.
Speaker 2: About what actually happened, you know, did the standards change or things just get looked at differently. We were getting looked at differently. A guy, I'll give you an example. A guy came through the course that his faith was Muslim, and he was fasting, and we had a ubr our upper body round robina, so I'm not familiar with that. You have to do like bench press, it's like your body weight or eighty percent of your body weight. How many times can you do it? You gotta do like a minimum of like four or five. It's super low stand You have to be able to do like three pull ups. You have to be able to like hang from the bar and then put your ankles up above your head and do like four of those, like to get a basic score, you know.
Speaker 1: And then of course guys are getting like twenty five.
Speaker 2: And then you go to the dip barn. You gotta get like eight dips. Dudes knock out forty or whatever. We had this guy, he was Muslim, he's fasting, and he couldn't even get the bare minimum of any of them. And then it ends with the five mall run in forty minutes. He failed every single event. Not only that, he failed the PT test that was given like two weeks after that, he failed like three written tests. He failed like two or three of the hands on versions, and it was, hey.
Speaker 1: You gotta recycle this guy. You got to give him another chance. You got to give him.
Speaker 2: Another chance, because now we started shifting over to being a little bit more I don't know if you want to use the word woke, but things were changing.
Speaker 1: I mean, this might be a little controversial, but it's been said that when there are people going through the Q course who have unique language abilities, that they get pushed through no matter how poorly they do some of the tests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you know what, maybe that was a portion of it, and I would have said, you know, I one hundred percent agree, But then it didn't stop there. That was just the catalyst to then every other dude that couldn't make it and it's dangerous was oh no, we're getting another chance, another shot, give this guy another opportunity. And that just became the norm almost to be like, you can't fail a guy. So so what did that look like when we were getting briefed by this two star that comes out and he said, look, you guys are green brace A small group of was me and maybe four or five other cadre and he had a captain audience. There we are, and he's like, you're here to train these guys because as a Green Beret you go overseas and then their target language. You're going to train them to be just like you. And you're telling me you can't do that with Americans that are motivated that want to do this so well, I mean, no, you got a point. But of course there's definitely two different standards of training. I'm not going to create an American Army green beret right with an Afghan.
Speaker 1: National Army guy.
Speaker 2: But that's you know, it's not gonna happen. But that was kind of the message that was floated to all of Swick for a period of time and the Delta course. You know, medicine it's not for everybody. Just because you are not a good medic doesn't mean you can't go be a Charlie Echo Bravo, Like, there's other opportunities for you, but maybe medicine is not going to be it. If I don't want you working on my family, you know, I like, if you come to my house like you're the guy, I'm like, fuck, I don't want that. If you're looking a little iffy on the go, then maybe yeah, then I'm like, I'm I'm not going to pass you right, Like there's a standard, you know, I could be pretty lenient.
Speaker 1: I know, we you know, we need some guys out there. We're not producing these you know, mass producing soft because we're not supposed to.
Speaker 2: But it did get a lot more lenient. And you know, I can't say that that was like the worst thing, because I feel like we learned from it. Uh, A lot of folks got slipped through the cracks, and I think now things are changing. I mean, we could see a lot of changes that are being made with this administration, specifically speaking on the ideology of military training and what our standard regulations are for the troops.
Speaker 1: I think that's gotten a lot better. What was kind of like your perception of like why this was happening. I mean, I like when that general came and told you that, like did he really have like an ideological belief or was this more like like a mandate from d OD that like you need to produce more green berets. I mean, I don't know what the what the deal was.
Speaker 2: But yeah, what's being fed at the Pentagon and what we're getting fed is probably two different messages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Most likely it is the we're going to violate the rule that says, you know, soft is not going to be mass produced. I think that one kind of they wanted to put that one out the window. And the other part of it was that I don't know who knows, maybe oere bullet that they they came with science, and I say the oe Are bullet because somebody for their oe are bullet.
Speaker 1: We should explain to people. An officer evaluation report is how military officers are evaluated.
Speaker 2: They're going to get promoted based on how well it's like their you know, their annual.
Speaker 1: Review.
Speaker 2: You know, you get your annual review, and there's this their officer evaluation is their annual review. What did you do over this last year? Did you increase safety by twenty two percent? Did you, you know, increase the readiness of this organization by thirty eight percent? And everything's got to have a quantitative value. Uh And if so, if you look better than your peers, then you're going to get that next promotion. And those promotions end up into political promotions at a point. Sure, you know after around four oh five, now it's all political. But with that, somebody fed them all this science that their so the science said that if they make it through the selection phase, then they are going to move forward. But this is the training portion of this. They've already been selected, right, this is the training portion. Now I can say that, you know what if they don't want to get rid of them, you know, out of the eighteen delta course, Like, that's a big problem because the medic piece of that is you we're training these dudes to be the amateur t move doctors and surgeons out in the field, so you really need to have your stuff squared away. But this spread to small unit tactics, It's spread into the other committees, and it's not just affecting the medics, it's affecting everything. Like, these guys get selected, they're now going to get trained. So you go from you know, selection is you throw the numbers around thirty percent, maybe pass rate. You know, let's just say thirty percent. You go to the Q course, it's like it's fifty fifty sixty percent. They want that. Like now these guys.
Speaker 1: Are like ninety ninety five percent. You're going to push these cats through. Oh we are mass produced soft. I don't know, pick your poison.
Speaker 2: But by the time I wasn't a fan of it, because you know, I made it, so I got mine. So now I need to be this tab protector.
Speaker 1: How uh yeah, I was gonna ask, you know, you became the NCOI C of the Delta Course out there, how did you kind of deal with this situation?
Speaker 2: So that place is a well, it's a museum for one. By that, I mean we got politicians, every oh fro star, everybody that's gonna have anything, congress, whatever. These folks are all gonna come to the Delta Course, right, So it's a dog and pony show. Maybe not every week, but at least.
Speaker 1: Three times a month.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have distinguished guests and visitors. So we've got TVs up there playing our our video on. We've got a band an instructor damn near that stands outside of each section of the classrooms with like a banner hanging up of his section and what he's doing to give his two minute brief as I walk them all down through each in every phase. Because the first six months five six months, you're in classrooms and you're knocking out like just physician level anatomy and physiology, just really getting into.
Speaker 1: The weeds with diseases. And it is.
Speaker 2: The second half of the course when things get what students would consider a lot more interesting. That's when you're working with you're working with moulaws, you're working with trauma, you're working with mannequins a lot of it, and then you're working with live tissue. So you're outside doing a lot of work and you know, wearing your kit and doing medicine that way, and you know, sweating and beat out there twelve hours just doing all these repetitions over and over and over again. So guys really get a lot out of that.
Speaker 1: But then the very last.
Speaker 2: Phase, the third phase of trauma three, that was that was my favorite. That was the that was my baby, if you will. Like I said, when I was a student, we really didn't have a final training exercise. It was kind of really watered down. It wasn't I didn't feel like I got anything out of it. Hell, I didn't even really wasn't even sure, like are we doing this right now? I was like, are we in the FTX? And all of a sudden it's done like ten minutes later, So like, man, this seems to change. So we built a really good FTX. Three days, seventy two hours straight, no sleep, just go. We had a day crew of night crew of cadre twelve hour shifts and just punishing these guys and still failing them. You get to the last thing, the FTX, and a guy doesn't do the job, he fails. You know, well that one didn't fly. We got away with about six months. But after a while they're like, no more failing at the FTX, all right. So we built a one hundred acre compound. Like the contract was in order as I was showing up to be a cadre out there, and so we got the contract to go build this like one hundred acre type of I could build villages, classrooms. I put Black Hall helicopter frames out there, some tank stuff, and there's a river, built little warehouses and really a great training area so that guys can do drama.
Speaker 1: Medicine.
Speaker 2: We work with paintball guns, so we did have a little bit of kind of you know, love fire stuff while you're doing medicine, and you know, we have pneumatic machine guns with a lot of smoke. Really try to generate a good type of experience where you're doing a lot of care underfire.
Speaker 1: So it was a month long program.
Speaker 2: Out there and followed by that seventy two hour FTX and it was it was great. It was super fun and and guys just they loved it because you're really out there just playing army, do the job. And we had side.
Speaker 1: By sides, and you guys are out there just screaming around on these things and and loading casualties in them and practicing in the back of humbs while we're driving around and doing medicine.
Speaker 2: So guys got so much out of this at the end. So I was like for the instructors, like, man, we need to build you guys like a logo, a team shirt. We have a team shirt for this place. It was yeah, logo, team shirt. I sit around and I'm building one. I'm not a graphic art kind of guy. I can't draw a stick figure and I think I'm using power Point is how I was assembling this thing. And I've built this logo. It was a skull, because everything's gonna have a skull.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, come on.
Speaker 2: We had a Navy, We had seals, and we had SIDC Special Operations, Independent Duty Gorman, we have boat guys, gotcha, And so the skull has got to have a paddle that runs through it, and then green bray. We gotta have cross arrows. Okay, we're gonna take one of those arrows out and put a tri dent because we got seals. Man, it's all coming together. And then we got a let's trauma three because they're the ones building this logo, so we'll put a row numeral three on the skull. And there was thirteen active duty instructors that were teaching this course, so everybody gets a star. So this thirteen stars wrapped around this row ma numeral three, which I guess mirrored some other type of logo not intended at the time.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: That became a kind of viral at the school. Shirts, hoodies, hats, water bottles, all kinds of stuff for team fund was running rampant, It was doing fantastic. There was even an online store setup for this.
Speaker 1: And then it became a little controversial.
Speaker 2: Did become a little controversial, So then we'll fast forward, I don't know seven eight years January sixth.
Speaker 1: Happened.
Speaker 2: Apparently a similar logo I don't think it was exactly this one, but I don't know was seen in that area ended up turning into a safety stand down for that schoolhouse, and it ended up on the internet and websites. Special operations school uses extremist logo and they had it so wrong, they had it incredibly wrong. But nonetheless, there we go. That logo became famous.
Speaker 1: But a swick that shut you guys down. Yeah, yeah, did it have to be redesigned or what happened with that? It just got? It got.
Speaker 2: You can't use it at all.
Speaker 1: It was. It's gone or is it? Because it's still out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they fought back, Actually, the guys at the school else fought back and they they've kind of kept it in a lot of areas off that grid, but it still thrives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're wearing it on their T shirts underneath their it is Acus or whatever the hell they have. Now.
Speaker 2: The fun thing about it is my son used to wear that. You know, as a kid growing up, he had the water bottle, you know, a hat. He didn't really know much about what it was. Uh, you know, it's like kind of the the cool logo for the Special Rations Combat Metic School. So he grows up and goes to be an Army ranger and goes to that school. And yeah, I got to show up during the FTX and run that lane. That was probably one of my more proudest moments that I had was being able to because you know, you go through something, you know, like that school anything, you have a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of home field advantage here too. Having built the course. I think a lot of people gave him shit going through that course.
Speaker 2: He passed everything on his own. I had no influence on not that I could. I mean that that's like either doing it or not. And everybody's there witnessing, so uh, you know, I couldn't persuade anybody on anything if I wanted to. But uh, you know, you go through any kind of you know, the the eighteen Delta course, going through the Q course. You know Navy seals go going through buds, whatever those things are. That's a significant time. That's a significant event to be able to have your son, you know, go through It's pretty that same thing walking down those same halls and doing everything that you got to do. You know that is that's cool.
Speaker 1: And after your swift time, you went on to be a team sergeant.
Speaker 2: So I went back to uh, I went back to group and immediately deployed again. We went back to.
Speaker 1: That time.
Speaker 2: I went to Ghost which was also in Lebanon. Oh no kidding, okay, yeah, I lived there or was a year and a half. No ship off and on, just so that your team was really going back and forth.
Speaker 1: You love that in Syria. Oh you did Syria too, What was your impression of Syria? That's a ship hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a short stint of just training some dudes that that was kind of it was anti climactic.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah, you guys weren't like on the front line.
Speaker 2: Now, we really didn't get to do anything cool. You know, what we consider cool. What we consider cool is what you know, when you're call of duty, you know, like when we're living that that's cool, right, And when you're just out there doing day to day jay sat stuff essentially, yeah, right right, that's not cool. So yeah, I went and did did some more training out there in uh in ghost stuff. And yeah, I did another five or six months out there, and and I was offered, hey, you want to be a teams aren't in Syria on another rotation. I'm at twenty two years at this point, like the war at this point is twenty nineteen. It's all done. Yeah, starting to feel it, you know. I had a couple of hard landings ate a charge had.
Speaker 1: Had some other.
Speaker 2: Underlying factors of some explosions that I won't really get into that. I got some hardware in the Leg four, but the my body was just not really cooperating, you know, because at this point I'm in my early forties and any guys on there are just still studs. Yeah, I can hold my own, but I'm like, I think it's about that time because I thought that I was mentally ready. Yeah I wasn't, and all those years like eventually just all hit me at once and during the transition that was the That was a challenging time, but it was one like, oh, I'm already committed to my XVIIL.
Speaker 1: So what was your plan when you got out? Yeah, there wasn't one. Everybody says, have a plan, and uh, you know the plan. The plan for a lot of guys that don't have a plan.
Speaker 2: Is go contract. Yeah, because well that's still there. They're still paying good money. So yeah, it turns out that that also started to dry up, and all that money started to kind of not be the big money that it was, and it became like, well, I don't think it's worth it to go over there anymore and and do this for what you guys are offering, So it's time to change that plan. Riding motorcycles a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were telling me that kind of like to keep that kind of adrenaline level. Yeah, and it's starting to get a little out of control. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was riding with one of those with a club that.
Speaker 1: The FBI would be interested in.
Speaker 2: They would be they would be Yeah in Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Uh, they all that area. And I was very tight with one of the members that.
Speaker 2: Was he was an enforcer in the region for them, And that's where I started finding some adrenaline, feeling like I.
Speaker 1: Had something to do, like I had a team again, isn't It wasn't. The Hell's Angels started by World War Two veterans mostly fun fact and interesting like connection there isn't there.
Speaker 2: So the the Hell's Angels, the Outlaws, peg As among there's a bunch of there's four or big ones, but there are one percenter club. So after World War Two, a bunch of dudes, because you know that Allies sent a lot of Harley Davidson's over and so guys were riding those and know that was something that you got around on. Well, they also got good at fixing them, right. So then when the war was over with that, there's a surplus of these motorcycles. You can get a relatively cheap everybody knows how to work on them, you know, throw a gallon of gas in there.
Speaker 1: And off you go. So a lot of guys got into that.
Speaker 2: You know, culture is just a way of riding the motorcycles around and then what you ride with your buddies. Well, a bunch of guys were doing this together, and you have in California, Hollister, California, the American Motorcycle Association would do this annual event. All these people come from all over, you know, ride their motorcycles. It was a week long deal. It might be some drag races.
Speaker 1: And stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Well, then you know, if me and you were riding together, you know whatever, we're gonna show up. We're gonna wear the same jacket, you know, same color looking, We're gonna have a uniform. We got to look the same. Everybody the same same. Well, there was a bomber squadron called Dalla's Angels, so they adopted their bomber squadron name and then used that. Now they might not have followed all the rules that the American Motorcycle Association had in the store for their week long celebration for their bike week or whatever. In Hollister, some people didn't care. They're like, yeah, fuck your rules whatever. Nine to nine percent of bikers are you know, good dudes, follow the rules whatever. There's one percent that don't care. And were that one percent so they adopted that they were that is a diamond patch on their cut and they take this very seriously. Now that you've got veterans, motorcycle clubs like motorcycle clubs that veterans belong to that when it says MC motorcycle club like, they've prospected to get that, which means that they've been doing a lot of work for it could be four or five months, could be over a year to be able to earn the privilege to war that entire three piece patch. And those clubs that they belong to say most I don't want to lump everything in and speaking in absolutes, but are going to belong to an area I gots in real estate, and that real estate isn't owned by that one percenter club, and that comes with responsibilities. Each organization has got different responsibilities to what that might be. But yeah, but it gives this, like I was saying earlier, it gives guys an opportunity to get into things that they shouldn't get into, whether that's more alcohol, drugs, or being involved in some type of you know, organized crime, whatever that might look like.
Speaker 1: And it happens. You mentioned earlier that you know, it's a subculture, and it is kind of interesting. I mean, Special Forces in of itself is sort of a subculture in the military. But then there's this parallel subculture where now that you're a different uniform and there's a different selection process and you belong to this other thing.
Speaker 2: It gets better. You got Special Forces guys, we already said that, you know, we're kind of our own brotherhood. You know SF guys, you know they they're belonging to one club and you got another SF guy belonging to this club. Oh yeah, and now there's this this rift fistfight riff even worse? Does that carry seeing SF guys whearing? Oh that's they got a different color jacket? Jump dudes, a SF dudes. Because they're wearing that color jacket. It's like, oh your third group, I'm seventh group. I'm you know, we're going to fight for what? And does they do that?
Speaker 1: Does that stuff that rift kind of carry into the workplace sometimes, Yeah, it does.
Speaker 2: Some of the committees that the qualification course has are good examples of this.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna die any of these out at all. I mean in a few cases I know exactly.
Speaker 2: But there's a couple of committees where like, yeah, we worked together, and but you're wearing that color and I'm wearing this color, and that's a problem. And it bleeds over, certainly bleeds over.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's wild, isn't it. Yeah? It sub subcultures.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's beyond me. And I was involved in it for quite a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you're willing to talk about it, I mean, how deep did you go? Uh? So?
Speaker 2: I I was in a traditional MC. By that, I mean we followed all the protocols for a motorcycle club. We held what's called church. It's meetings. It's gonna be like a skiff phones outside. We're going to talk about some some things. It's very organized, just like an e MC. There's a structure. You've got officer rankings, president, vice president type of thing. You pay dues. You have a clubhouse. In that clubhouse, is you know, going to have a bar, living room, areas for guys to sleep in.
Speaker 1: So, uh, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It's welping, welcoming, it's inviting two guys that have left the team life.
Speaker 1: And it's like, all right.
Speaker 2: Now what a new teamhouse is a whole new teamhouse. And whether that's just for our club, it's like that for all clubs. It's it's a teamhouse. Whether you're you've been a civilian or whatever, and you get involved in one of these things, that is what that that does provide that for you and guys need that. Guys like that and their motorcycle enthusiasts, so it gives them something to to go. They rob motorcycles, They plan poker runs, fundraisers, different events to keep going. And that's how it all started. And then I started getting a little bit deeper into it, and I started going, uh, because you meet with other clubs at events parlays. One club might have a hosting an event at their at their house. All the other clubs in the area will go there and support this club. Now you've got dudes, whether they're range regiments got a club. You know, SF's got a club. Just army veterans or military veterans in general have a club civilians are all mixed in to some of these civilians in general have some of their clubs and then these one percenter clubs, and you get them all in one area. Just like anything. Guys start talking. Now you have to do this sometimes weekly. So you're doing this every week on bike night or you're going to and a like a local bar. That one percenter club is going to say, Hey, this week's bike week Bike night is going to be at this specific bar, and if you fly your colors in this area, you're going to be there. Okay, So they got some other random grown man telling us where.
Speaker 1: To be and you're prospecting at this point. Oh even when you're a club at that one percenter club says hey, your club is and if they tell you to come be the dorman all night, like you have to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, they don't tell you to do it.
Speaker 1: You just do it.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of like being like the new guy on a team, like day one. It's just things that you do.
Speaker 1: So then I started with the a one.
Speaker 2: Percenter club in Tennessee, and I was I got in pretty deep with those guys. I was at the clubhouse a lot until the sun came up a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it ended up on a bike night.
Speaker 2: And so there was this one percenter club that was a different one percenter club that was moving into this area. Turf war. We can't have that. So riding motorcycles at one hundred miles an hour, because that's how you ride them when you're in this club, up and down the streets looking for these guys, going to these different bars, looking for these dudes that are encroaching on your territory. Then one specific bike night, I had to, let's just say, I had to go out of town for something else, so I wasn't I wasn't with them on bike night.
Speaker 1: I was doing something else.
Speaker 2: And the dude that I spent all that time with, I lived at that clubhouse for so many times. He's stayed in my house so many times. He gets involved in a double homicide on the rival arrival, because that's what you have to do. That's what's ingrained as you wear in that diamond like, that's.
Speaker 1: That's what you do. And now.
Speaker 2: He ends up riding off, gets picked up.
Speaker 1: And this might have happened at eight o'clock at night ish.
Speaker 2: The mayor was inside eating dinner. The mayor of Clarksville. This's happened in Clarksville, Tennessee. He was inside that restaurant that had happened at eating dinner. Not that that really made much more of a difference. It didn't help, did not help, not keeping that one quiet, not sweeping anything under that rug. I get a call at I don't know, eleven twelve o'clock.
Speaker 1: Was this the steakhouse over by the male yep? Okay, yeah, I know that one.
Speaker 2: So I get a call late at night and it was a detective the arresting team. So they didn't take this dude to the jail like the Cumberland County jail. There was some weird, unmarked warehouse style holding place that was nowhere near the jail, like the other side of town.
Speaker 1: That's weird, super weird.
Speaker 2: And I get a call and they're like, hey, man, can you come and pick pick up your boy? And I was like, I'm not a I'm not wearing that color, Like that's not so how would you guys associate me with that? So now that's not a good situation. I'm like, yeah, man, I'm gonna come down and get him. So I go down and get him. He's in a tievex suit. Somebody just get even weirder Annibal Lecter. I don't know what's happening at this point. The detectives like big air, like this is interesting. Take him to his his clubse like, hey, dude, you don't need to go get a burner phone and you know, go chill out somewhere. So dude goes and I was like, man, you need to be in and out of this house. I think I told him seven minutes.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I just picked seven minutes, like randomly. I was like, dude, you got like.
Speaker 2: Seven minutes to get your shit out of the house. Man, get out of here. And then you're gonna go to this spot, get a burner phone. You're gonna go over to this area for the safe house. And he's like, all right, cool, and then he's like and I'm gonna meet you there, take a different route. So he did that. About twenty minutes later, that house got raided and everybody that was in there was face down, got the handcuffs on. So hey, my seven minute thing actually worked.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: They'd already let him go so it didn't matter. But anyway, so off we go.
Speaker 1: He's in a he's hanging out at some chick's house. And then he calls me up a few.
Speaker 2: Days later he's like, hey, man, I think I don't know. I think I might need to go.
Speaker 1: I can tell me what you want to do, man, so't whatever if you need out.
Speaker 2: Deputy or sheriff, detective whoever. Calls me like the next day after that and was like, hey, I need you to bring your boy in.
Speaker 1: Okay? Cool. So I can't believe they just let him walk out after the double homicide.
Speaker 2: Let him walk out? Now took him back in? He just did.
Speaker 1: That's been six years. Oh he just got out.
Speaker 2: He just got out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: The dudes drew down on him first.
Speaker 1: He was So there's an argument of self defense.
Speaker 2: We had talked about how some former military guys go as far as.
Speaker 1: You know, one Percenter clubs.
Speaker 2: That was a former military guy that had gone. Matter of fact, a Seventh Group guy was. Turns out to be the president of Hell's Angels in Faybville. He died a few years ago. Turns out when that funeral happened, Oh you got to know, because it happened to Fabville. Every agency, the entire alphabet was out there. I mean the Greek alphabet was out there everybody taking pictures of every dude like a mafia funeral that showed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, yeah, that's crazy. So what happened with your motorcycle buddy after you brought him back into the sketchy warehouse? So I'm doing videos? I had asked him.
Speaker 2: I was like, hey, look, can we have no press because I'm involved in this thing now right. I was saying, I don't want any press being there. Can you guys at least try to? And they're like, yeah, no problem. We have a thirty forty minute conversation with the dude standing outside of my truck. As I'm dropping him off. He was complimenting on how good we made the double doors at the clubhouse, because I we got doors from the post office, like these giant steel doors, and had a great security system on this thing. Had cameras all over, and the bartender had all of his because bartender's gonna be a prospect, He's got all the cameras up there to look at. So you can see three sixty around the house and there'll be two or three guys just watching cameras at all times, and the whether it's the atf whatever. They were, like, dude, you guys did a really good job putting up those It was like, there's there's a bitch get in that house.
Speaker 1: Man. So I spelt I wasn't an engineer at Charlie.
Speaker 2: But it would be good. Uh so, And they were, you know, I don't want to mention some of the things that were they were involved in uh on this show, but they were involved in some things that I knew, like, all.
Speaker 1: Right, this is oll listed activities. This is not.
Speaker 2: I didn't learn, like, you know, my lesson quickly, but I eventually learned my lesson. I was like, this is not not working out. And at this time, now I had transitioned, I'm out of the military and I'm a civilian.
Speaker 1: I was like, I need I need to X Phil.
Speaker 2: So I go back to brag because at a house out there still and I'm still riding with my club out there, who lives right down street from the Hells Angels.
Speaker 1: And I just did not see.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm I'm gonna end up in the same situations. So I decided to I was gonna get out of that culture all together and move to Florida, where I actually hung up the helmet completely and got away from the motorcycles all together.
Speaker 1: I sold them all, but still kind of chasing that high right. Oh yeah, like you made the trip over to Ukraine when that popped off.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, what was I thinking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was allegedly I was telling myself, you know, it was the money, but in hindsight, it wasn't even that much money. So I was wanting to do it to feel relevant. I think that's the best way to describe.
Speaker 1: To use your skills and your training. I wanted to feel relevant, and.
Speaker 2: It was an ego thing I think also, and like I've got the opportunity to do this, and let's let's see how.
Speaker 1: Far I can push it.
Speaker 2: That's a whole different situation when nobody's coming, there's no QRF, nobody is coming. I don't speak that language. It's me and I've got a terp and I've got a high lux that I rented this right out like twenty miles across the border that's not even supposed to be that far east because I had to sneak in Robin Sage style from Poland.
Speaker 1: That was crazy. I ended up.
Speaker 2: So there's this long line about five.
Speaker 1: Miles to get into the border.
Speaker 2: So we land in Poland and then we go close to the border, like an hour outside of the border to Ukraine, and we've got this.
Speaker 1: Like we've got this like augmentee that's going to.
Speaker 2: Help us get across the border.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: We got some random dude that was a very odd situation because he was supposed to be at this link up point at let's say two pm. So we're out there at like one pm, like on Overwatch, because I want to see when this guy comes in, is he being followed, is it just him? What is the situation really like at like two thirty, nohing nothing. I was like, what three o'clock. Three thirty rolls around? Almost a couple hours it passed. Calling this guy he finally answers. He's like, oh yeah, I'll send ye the driver will be there in five minutes. There was a van. It has been sitting there since before we got there. Some dude comes over and gets in the van and I was like, all right, this is already not looking good. Well now he wants to bring this lady with her car and that we're gonna they're gonna take us to the front of the line. I was like, none of this is adding up.
Speaker 1: Man, sounds legit. This is super not sketchy. We're gonna do it right, and we do. So.
Speaker 2: The border is backed up five miles or so. It might take three days to get into there. We just going up to the front of the line. This lady had a stolen car. Now I'm going to be in like this international crime syndicate was stolen cars trying to get smuggled into Ukraine, and like nothing's coming in. I got some med stuff because like I'm coming over and I'm bringing medicine like AMA trauma gear and everything. Find a dude like ten twelve vehicles back in a sprinter van, a Mercedes Sprinter like nice and newer one. I went up to him and I was like, hey, man, I need you to get me across this border. I don't think he spoke English. I don't think he he understood what I meant. He just kind of looked around, opened up the van. No, there's another red flag right that I've created. And I was like, yep, we're going in jump in the back of some random strangers sprinter van. No, it's one of these vans that it's like it's a free candy van.
Speaker 1: There's no windows. It's a pedophile van.
Speaker 2: It's the Seer van. Yeah, and I put myself into this seer van to break across the border to go to a war, and I felt wildly un comfortable with that. I was like, man, this is actually I feel good about this.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: We get across the border.
Speaker 1: Jack, we get across the border two three miles, three miles top, this thing breaks down.
Speaker 2: Now we're riding in the back. It's me and two guys that I went with. Now because when we get to where we're going, we're gonna split up and go our subways. So it's me and two other guys from in the back of this thing. Can't see anything, have no idea, you know what's But we weren't back there along because as soon as we got across that border, a few miles into it, the the van breaks down.
Speaker 1: So here we go. We pop out, like what's the situation? Man?
Speaker 2: Another dude just comes rolling up. They strap a little toe strap on this thing, and now we're just getting towed down the road by time.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty five Nissan pickup truck that's on its last leg towing us where the dudes gotta like ride the brakes so you don't hit the towing vehicle in front of you. So we go, I don't know, eight nine, ten miles down the road, getting smuggled in this thing. Finally, like we hop out and at the because there was a rental car place spot I don't have fifteen miles or so on the other side of the border, and we go and rent three vehicles, three high luxes, and we each like high five and we go link up with an interpreter, each of us, and we go off into the wild.
Speaker 1: Now Ukraine is.
Speaker 2: It's huge, so it's not as big as the US, but it's big as of several states. So it's several hours, like a couple of days even to drive from the from the west to the east. And actually our west is like really nice. The landscaping, the greenery, rolling hills, beautiful rests, the activity was all normal. They became a phase line and when you cross that phase line, it was like it went from one to the other immediately, and it was like communist Russia looking definitely, the vehicles, the people, what they were wearing. And then it got into the most war torn looking areas and Karkiev, and so that's where we started operating out of so me and my turp we linked up with some just random indigenous force Ukrainian Army dudes, like, hey, we're here, man, you guys want some training and they're like yeah, and pretty much that's kind of how it went. Shake some hands and started teaching medicine to these dudes, and they're like, we're going out on mission, and I was like, awesome, let me hear the mission brief. I'm gonna go with you because I got this GoPro we're about to start or a new Blackwater, all right.
Speaker 1: So the mission goes like.
Speaker 2: This, it's like six dudes and then me, I'm gonna go with them, and they're gonna go take on an entire Russian infantry unit, complete with two tanks they've got I don't know all the weapons, and it's like forty dudes and there's the six of us and me I was like, no, we're not doing that. It was an issue we kind of got into like a thing, and I'm just a new guy showing up there and I wasn't doing it to be a dick. I was like, now that's suicide, right, man, Like you guys are going to die. And I was like, I'm not going to go on that one with you, and I'd strongly advise you not to go because you're not going to come back from that.
Speaker 1: I'm just being being honest with you. And so a few of the guys were like, this guy's saying that man and you know his resume, We're gonna stick with this guy.
Speaker 2: And a couple of dudes were kind of angry about it and they wanted to go talk to the colonel about it. The colonel comes down, it was like, no, we need to go, dude. You do you understand this mission planning situation? They don't. And they were also kind of in a desperate situation and which I completely appreciate, but I am not in a desperate situation. So I did my best to keep them from going, and they didn't go. Now, there were some other ones that we did go, and I sat in a ditch with tank rounds smacking, getting dirt.
Speaker 1: Blown on me.
Speaker 2: And then I remember I was going out to this one unit. It was like eight dudes on this outpost we had gotten there are like, hey man, these dudes out there like really need help, and you know, they're taking casualties.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go out there and help with these guys. So me and Minter we go out. We got like a grid cord and to drop to us, and we go out there and it's a school now in a village completely desolate. Nobody's there at all. The school has been shelled a dozen times. All the houses got some kind of watar rounds in them, and then there's this little outpost and then there's this an area kind of like a basement, you know, you could go under a bunker. And I'm like, all right, so you park. I parked under some trees next to the school because up until now, I've been fighting the Iraq Afghanistan, and we were accustomed to a certain style of fighting and that's kind of ingrained in US. Drone warfare wasn't part of that, right and it is now. So we're going to add this to the menu. And so now it's a lot more variables in a country I've got zero familiarity with, with a language that I don't know, with now new fighting techniques that I'm not accustomed to, and I don't have any team, and if anything, happens. I don't have a support I don't have a UA sixty coming in, I don't have a QRF, I don't have anything. So I'm like, Wow, this is bold and maybe not smart. We're gonna do it right. So I'm parking under trees because I'm like, man, I got to outsmart the drones because drones can't see your truck under a tree.
Speaker 1: So that i'd cover the truck up with branches.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, we were getting in it.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: I'm out there and I'm trying to set up all my stuff to make me a little clinic because we're going out on hits, So setting me up in aress, I was like, I know we're gonna take injuries, some casualties, so I want to be prepared.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: The casualty is about to be me. So I'm going out to the truck and that's when the drink the drone saw me because I'm out and it's kind of a field and to get to the truck was about fifty meters or so, and that fifty meters was enough for that drone. I couldn't hear the drone or see the drone, but it had to have been up there because I heard a tank round. Have you ever heard a tank ground?
Speaker 1: Not a close range like that?
Speaker 2: It was like a maybe a click to clicks, which is close range for a tank, right, yeah. I never I'd never heard it on the receiving side until that day. And oh, that's a very it's a that sound. You'll know it if you ever get shot by a tank, you will know what that sound is without ever having the preparatory command of that.
Speaker 1: Uh. And I was like, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: I just hit the ground and to get as flat as possible and from me to that microwave you got there about six meters away was a little little outpost that I just mentioned.
Speaker 1: It got leveled and I was like, son of them.
Speaker 2: So I get up and I sprint the you know, short ten meters or whatever to get back into the bunker.
Speaker 1: And I went down there.
Speaker 2: And they just started drilling it and I got it on go bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah that sucked, man. So this was like right on the front lines obviously. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it was right on the order.
Speaker 2: Then I got caught up by uh, Good Morning America. Oh no shit, yeah, ABC World News tonight because I said there's three of us. One dude stayed in the back and he's coordinating because well, we've got to got to get some viewership on this. But we're going to start a militia, right we're getting funded by I still couldn't tell you who exactly it was, uh, none of the three of us that were out there doing it, and I can tell you that. So they caught up with some some news organizations and some some journalists and ABC World News, ABC World, Good Morning America, ABC World News, and you know, they wanted.
Speaker 1: So I went back linked up with those guys and got to go do some footage for them. And then all of this was not blurred or anything.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if I became one of the most wanted out there. So it was just the irony is everywhere that I lived was leveled. Not while I was there. I escaped that place. I escaped death. I'd say more times in a few months that I was in Ukraine than I did in all the other deployments, almost combined. Not I mean, there was definitely situations, but this one was just just hit after hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the enemy has drones and ballistic missiles and.
Speaker 2: And I've got like no friends out there at all, but it was.
Speaker 1: What ended up making you decide to leave.
Speaker 2: When I went, so I kind of I fell back to like almost as far as I could to be in like a safe zone. The hotels were great. They were like fifteen dollars a night, so I was staying and these are like decent hotels. And then just being in there, like you almost want to feel okay, cool, I'm safe, I.
Speaker 1: Can kind of relax. Nope, nope.
Speaker 2: Rockets are coming in and they're hitting a block away and it's just like, man, I'm gonna be laying here and sleeping and I'm gonna get hit by a rocket. And I've gotten you all the footage. I sent everything that I could to you know doing this, and like, you know, unless you're gonna up the any of that funding that while while I'm here like we're done. I got you everything that you need, I think to get started. Uh So yeah, a few months and I was like I'm done, Like this team trained on Ukraine, uh sound to bounce and did, jumped on a train and went back to Poland. And then now guys are starting to show up and there's more like uh, you know, retired guys and then organizations are starting to happen, and I was like, good luck fellas, I'm going to the house and not coming back.
Speaker 1: And so when you did get back to the United States, you started doing executive protection work, you started teaching UH medic classes essentially to fire departments, and I want to get into this whole other you know, part of your story that outwardly you're doing really well at this point, right, you know, getting jobs, making money, everything's going good, but internally you're having problems still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know, we discussed being you know, you get out and want to be a contractor because there's all this money. Because we're in the military, you don't make money and everybody wants to make money, but we don't do that job for the money. So it was I was able to find very lucrative careers or training opportunities within my career field, which was teaching medicine. And you can you can certainly do very well for yourself being being you know, going out and teaching medicine on government contract levels very well.
Speaker 1: And so I was doing that because I was like, oh, I want to stay kind of involved in medicine and again just try to stay relevant and it's an opportunity to make some good coin. Uh, all that was happening, but it wasn't happening for me in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So then I was offered, hey do you do security? I was like, why not? You know, what kind of money are you talking about? Same money working down in South Florida? Is that they were going to we're paying me over in Ukraine, which like contractor money, And I was like, man, this there was some specific types of clients. So then I got to work with a lot of ultra networth clients, some famous and some infamous clients, clients that have laundered billions of dollars through countries that we are currently in conflict with. That's a whole nother situation with what that recently came out two weeks ago, the news and how that, you know, let's not get into that one. But yeah, so executive protection, I got to work with a lot of really good, a lot of fun clients, got to see some some things that I might not ordinarily get to see, and I got certainly got to see a lot of people that I would not ordinarily get to meet. But that was kind of boring. I think really the biggest thing was to avoid that I felt and it needed to be filled. I wasn't involved in any kind of motorcycle stuff, you know, no team stuff, no shootouts anymore. Ukraine was kind of a bust. So you know, there's still alcohol that's still a good one, you know, tequila that'll never let you down. Yeah, unfortunately it does every single time. It took a few thousand times of trial and error to learn that it's never gonna work out.
Speaker 1: And in the.
Speaker 2: Motorcycle world also led me to some substance abuse, and that doesn't work out. No matter how how empty your feeling, that is not going to be what fills the void. As an atheist, church was out of the question. So I, I don't know, I just needed something. I hated myself all these things that I you know, think that i'd done. You know, there was a lot that I did that I haven't mentioned that made me hate myself, But I didn't really understand that that's what it was. I was angry.
Speaker 1: At what. I don't know, anything, this.
Speaker 2: That doesn't matter, that's going to just piss me off. Anxiety kind of depressed states for what and not to sound like a complete but I will sound like a total asshole. But when I was driving a new Lamborghini and it wasn't making you happy, it wasn't making me happy, I was like, Man, I still feel dead inside. I was like, I don't even know what to do about all this, Like why am I so angry? Why am I pissed off of the world?
Speaker 1: What is wrong?
Speaker 2: Why am I drinking myself into an oblivion? Not like every day, not even every week, but hell, who knows. If I have two drinks, I'm probably gonna have twelve. And if I have twelve, who knows who you're gonna meet, Because it's not this guy right here. You're gonna meet somebody else, probably not gonna like him, And I'm damn sure not gonna like him the next day. So I need to figure out how to get over that.
Speaker 1: What was kind of the turning point.
Speaker 2: Definitely the bottom of a bottle of casamigos. It was the next day when it's one of those you wake up and you're like, where am I Okay, I'm in my house?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Holy shit? What happened? What did I do? How did I get home?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man?
Speaker 2: One of those I probably made some you know, comments and stuff the night before, but not the detrimental, and I had an uber take me home. But the point was that I'd had too many of those nights. Yeah, and every time I have one of those, I'm like, man, I'm done.
Speaker 1: I can't drink anymore.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's just I can't do this, whether it's that or going on a you know, a cocaine bender.
Speaker 1: Just I can't do that again.
Speaker 2: Until the next time. And then you're like, all right, all right, that I can't do that again. How many times does that need to happen?
Speaker 1: I mean, as we both know that kills a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, damn near killed me, you know, I say, you know, you crate Afghanistan during the during their peak times were some of the most dangerous places in the world.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: I would walked along the edge during a lot of those times. I stayed on that edge a lot longer. Just in my regular life with drugs and alcohol, I should have died more during the activities that I was doing in that state versus being at war at war, So what was it? A deciding factor? Is just one day I said I had today, it's got to be the last day. And the next part was like, okay, how do I do that and it's from podcasts. Oh really Yeah, you know, podcasts have given a platform to talk about things that you don't get to hear all the time. Right twenty years ago, you know, you know you're not hearing this conversation. Yeah, so twenty years ago, I'm not hearing Joe Rogan, Sean Ryan, a lot of these guys that have these guests on, and they get to talk about all kinds of great stuff, specifically psychedelic medicine. So I've done my share of party drugs, have had a good time psychedelics. That's not something not doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if anything, you're like kind of predisposed against it at this point, I would imagine, yeah, yeah, and I'm like I don't do that.
Speaker 2: But I've been hearing so much about it from these guys on podcasts and how it's helping veterans. I was offered it years.
Speaker 1: Ago, and I I was like, no, that's not for me. Like hippies that it's probably like worth pointing out to people, like from everything I've been told, like the plant medicine is not a drug, Like there's no situation where like you and I are going to sit here and like do Hyahuasco. Like trip balls in the in this office. That's not what it's about, and that's not how people use it.
Speaker 2: Never Yeah, but yet I kind of that was still kind of the stigma that I had even up until that point, and I was like, you know what, but I got to try something. So I'm going to do this. I don't know how, where who? So I used the Internet.
Speaker 1: This is where it begins.
Speaker 2: So like, you know, shaman near me? So I know there's no shaman down near me in South Florida until there is. Yeah, It's popping up everywhere. So I decided I'm gonna go to Mexico. And I found a guy down there on the Internet and I show up. Now, mind you, I'm already kind of sketchy about this whole situation, but as we've learned from my previous Ukraine sketchy, you know what we're gonna let's just do it. Let's sketchy. It is the more fun and better it's gonna be. And I end up down this long dirt road and it's some like house. I was like, am I at a house? I'm picturing some type of sanctuary, like a some type of rehab recovery center type of thing, and they've got this big ceremonial space and I'm in a dude's house and I was like okay, and this guy comes walking out in like jeans and a T shirt and a local guy from the area, and I was like, he's like Kenny. I was like, oh, all right, so I'm in the right spot. And I was like, but you know you things. You made me feel a little bit more less comfortable and he's like, no, man, it's okay. Everything, We're good. Like, okay, well, then I'm gonna park my car. Let's get started. Uh So, actually, your next door had this little cabana that he had me live in and I got to stay out there with him for five days and he feed me all times of all types of good food, you.
Speaker 1: Know, healthy stuff, keeping my body clean.
Speaker 2: And he said he's gonna start me out with this cleansing called combo. Okay. I didn't know anything really about combo. I researched the psychedelic treatment that I was coming down for, and I figured I knew quite a bit of enough about it to go through with it. I don't know what this combo is. So he was like, you're gonna drink a.
Speaker 1: Lot of water. It's like a gallon of water.
Speaker 2: So I drink a gallon of water. Now in mind, I got there, like we'll call it on a Tuesday, and it just kind of got settled in, and then Wednesday we started all the process. So I drank this gallon of water. Now he's gonna take this vine and burn the vine, and he's gonna get me on my shoulder and he's just making a little cigarette tight burns. So I've got small open wounds in my shoulders. And then I lift my arms up so that he can pour this powder it's frog toxin into these open wounds and spray them with water. Now this dude doesn't use this a measuring tool or anything. He's just eyeball in this, just jumping it out. And I was like, I mean, is it supposed to be that much? And it turns out, uh, I don't know. I think I got more than I needed because instantly I say anything, about two minutes into it, I can feel myself turning another shade of green, and I'm starting to just like wanting to just turn inside out. I didn't feel like I was gonna die Jack. I wanted to die because it was it was painful. The nausea was just horrible.
Speaker 1: And I'm describing this. Nobody's gonna want.
Speaker 2: To do combo after I explained it to him, So, uh, you know, your experience may vary. But I just felt deathly ill, and he kept telling me drink more water, drink more water, so trying, I physically can't drink any water. And then it finally starts to come up. Now it's about five minutes or so until it starts to get to the peak, and that peak lasts for about ten minutes or so, and then you start to come back down. Those ten minutes were an eternity, but I got up things that I was holding on to from two thousand and four. I didn't understand why.
Speaker 1: I was doing this.
Speaker 2: I do a lot better now. You've had a gut feeling before. So your gut is telling you things, whether that's because it's your second brain, whether it's just the data stored in there, memory trauma. That's how you get these feelings. It stores stuff in there that you don't want. And this purging ceremony, you have to drink all the water so you have something to purge out. But it helps the cleansing of that biome so that you can start fresh and that you can accept the medicine. So once I was done violently throwing up green orange, I don't know. It was just a kaleidoscope of of garbage in there, just of evil that I was getting up from forever. He was like, all right, you know we're gonna the next ceremony will be in about two hours. I haven't done anything psychedelic at all. I just did this and I felt like I had just been in a fight with a couple of like heavyweights and I lost badly. And I was like, man, I'm done with everything. Like I think we're good, I'm healed.
Speaker 1: I'm good. I'm not doing anything anymore.
Speaker 2: And he's like, why are you here And I was like, well, I'm here because I need to fix something in myself. He's like, then you're gonna stay and work and I was like yeah, I mean he just called me out on that, so I can't say no, all right, I'm gonna stay here and work. And I went and rested for about two hours.
Speaker 1: He called me back for my next ceremony.
Speaker 2: Which is arguably one the world's most powerful psychedelic it's called five DMT. It's the frog or the toad. It's the Sonoran desert toad, and he excreets toxin, went scraped and dried in the sun. You could smoke this. I don't know who figured this out, but it's I don't know. It definitely changes lives. So I'm sitting at the dude's house and you take three hits of this third hit is a breakthrough hit. So you take a big hit, you let it out, and immediately another big one, let it out, and hopefully you can get the third because you're already going completely incoherent. Oh, you are catapulted into the ether in milliseconds. Now what do I mean by that? So the English language is difficult to it doesn't have the words to describe what you're in there. I will first tell you that I was dead, and I knew it instantly. I was like, Ah, he didn't measure this out enough. I owe deed, I'm dead. Wow, that's a real disappointment that I went to Mexico and go deed on drugs and that this is going to be a difficult one for, you know, to explain. Now, last it about thirty seconds and then I became at peace with it, and I became at peace with it and I just let go. And when I did, it was the most profoundly beautiful experience that words can't describe that I've ever had. And I say that because it was so intense with just the overwhelming amount of love. And people say that God is love.
Speaker 1: I've been around the world and I've seen a lot of stuff evil, and I'm like, God is not love. Like I said, I was a pretty devout atheist the Bible. None of that makes sense.
Speaker 2: But when you have no body anymore because you physically you think it's gone because you can't see it. Because everything that's in your reality right now, you know where you're at on a couch, I'm in this chair. I can identify a lot of things. But when all of this is completely gone and it is something completely different, and then you have no concept of time or self, what do you have as a landmark to.
Speaker 1: Lie like a disembodied consciousness.
Speaker 2: All of those landmarks are gone. Therefore you feel like you cease to exist because you don't exist in this anymore. And because time is now gone, you don't know if you're coming back. And this is so profound. You've never experienced anything like this before that, like you're convinced that, okay, you've moved to another whatever the next thing is after death. And so once I was convinced that, Yep, there it is. I've died and I've moved on, and I felt that overwhelming love the ten minutes that I was in that roughly because it's very short, very short.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. Both of these are like ten to fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So dimethyl trip to mean is very fast acting when smoked, but very short half life. And that ten minutes when I came out of it, I just cried tears of joy, tiers of emotional.
Speaker 1: Overload.
Speaker 2: All of the things that I have, all of the things that I've built throughout my entire life, every memory that I've had, and every memory that I've forgotten. You never have forgotten it. You have just put up a block, right right, So, conversations that you've had, the way somebody has treated you, the way that you treated other people, You've built walls into your brain that have prevented you because if you hold onto that memory, that's going to affect you. So we put up that wall and we forget about that, but it's still there. That is our ego or our default mode network. And this completely eliminates the default mode network. It's called ego death. That's why you think you're died, because.
Speaker 1: You have.
Speaker 2: My heart's still beating, my lungs are still filling with air. But the Kenny that I was before I took that DMT is no longer here.
Speaker 1: He's dead.
Speaker 2: And I was able to come out the other side a completely different person. And everyone that knows me will tell you the same thing.
Speaker 1: Is that because you were able to let go of some of these past experiences or did they feel reconciled like what was sort of that process?
Speaker 2: Like forgiveness, really absolute and total forgiveness. This brought me to faith because I sat with God and I felt the love and nothing compares to it, nothing and the words can't remotely I'm using a stick figure to talk about the Sistine Chapel. You just can't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: And that feeling then opened up my consciousness and opened up it gave me a big peek behind the curtain so that I could understand what else is going on right out there and how little do I actually know? And I know nothing, but I do know now that there's so much more, and I've seen it. I can't tell you about it because I don't. It's like having a very vivid dream. As soon as you wake up, you're like something like an alligator was chased me.
Speaker 1: But then I was on the top of the building.
Speaker 2: But it was so vivid fifteen minutes ago. It's like that I knew everything, but now I don't.
Speaker 1: And there was like one more step in this journey, wasn't there that he had you do?
Speaker 2: So after that the next night was ayahuasca. So Ayahuasca, just like the five meo DMT is DMT so. Ayahuasca is an ancient brew. It's been used for over fifteen hundred years and it's a Peruvian Colombian jungle medicine. It grows in the Amazon. It's a plant that it's actually two plants, so it contains it. There's a Chakrouna leaf is primarily the leaf that's used in the making of ayahuasca. The chacrona leaf is rich with DMT dimethyl trip. To mean if you were to ingest dimethyl trip, I mean you just eat the leaf. Nothing's gonna happen because your body has got monoamine oxidase. That monoamine oxidase breaks down the DMT before it can do any psychoactive effect on it. So then you have to combine that with a vine. Now, the banisterius cappy vine is also grown locally to Peru, and you chop down a section of that and beat that into submission, and then you put apoll of leaves and some of the vine and you boil that for twelve to twenty four hours and it comes out with it as a te Now, when you ingest about a shot like the shot glass, you will start to feel some effects in about an hour the second shot glass. That's when things get interesting. That's when things get a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Ayahuasca is.
Speaker 2: Unlike iba gain, which is now what we're pushing for psychedelic research. It was just signed a few months ago into legislation to advance the research on that. That's got some cardiac difficulties. It can put a little bit of strain on your heart, and you know, you're pushing fifty guys in their early fifties.
Speaker 1: I'm uncomfortable doing that.
Speaker 2: It requires doctors, nurses, a whole staff. Ayahuasca is much safer, a lot safer. So this is done in the jungle setting. Now, when I did ayahuasca with that shaman, it wasn't Ata's house because this is not something.
Speaker 1: That you do like.
Speaker 2: You know, if I come over your house, we can smoke a little week and watch some TV. That's cool. You're not going to do that with an ayahuasca. This is not It's not a party drug at all. This is structured. People think this very seriously. Weeks ahead of time, with a proper diet and take not eating red meat, substaining from sex, no alcohol, social media, staying away from that stuff for a few days. You really put fourth all of this energy into respecting the medicine. And then when you go down to the jungle where I went, We went deep into the jungle and it's just you and the shaman and the fire and the jungle, and then this medicine will talk to you. Now, ayahuasca is gonna last for about four to six hours, so when you could buy that vine in there that's got the monominoxidase inhibitor will allow you to do that. So what I brought for you today is the ayahuasca vine.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, thank you and so what is this.
Speaker 2: So that is the vine that it's an actual vine that's lacquered. But that vine, you would take a section maybe about three feet, and you would take a wooden mallet and you will beat that, make it all nice and flat, and you will put it in a big giant tub of boiling water with a big pile of the chikuna leaf. That is what keeps the body from okay, breaking down the DMT.
Speaker 1: So that's the difference between the first time you're smoking d MT the second time you're ingesting.
Speaker 2: It correct where you're drinking it, it's different. You have to have the vine attached to it so that it can.
Speaker 1: The body breaking right. Right. Yeah, and people have a lot of similar results. Results may vary, but they're all very similar, similar experiences. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I've I've worked with over sixty veterans just this year. We've I've worked with some high ranking veterans. I've worked with veterans with severe alcohol problems. I've worked with guys that have been going to the VA and they can put on a laundry list of medications to include Zoloft two hundred milligrams. It's like the must ill prescribed daily you get on two hundred milligrams a day for a few years, that's your daily regiment. I have taken guys on a structured retreat, two nights of ayahuasca ceremony with several other things in a four day weekend, and no longer on those types of medications. They take cannabis for anxiety and sleep. They don't do that anymore. Their gummies are gone. Guys that were drinking nearly every day, no drinking. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since, not since my first ceremony.
Speaker 1: I haven't touched.
Speaker 2: And I've done I do ceremonies with I take guys down through the jungle because you know I said, I went down to Mexico. I looked up a guy on the internet. So since then, I've done a lot more research. I've gone shaman hopping, and I've found some amazing proving shamans that I've been working with repeatedly over and over. I've got a beautiful sanctuary in Guatemala, up near Antigua by Vulcan de Fuego. It's the most active volcano. Yes, active is about fifteen times a day that volcano is going to go off and we're at the base of it, out of lava reach, but that's pretty intense. So you're in the jungle at the base of active volcano. It's two am, and ayahuasca is showing you all this love and Mother Nature is showing Mother Nature's showing you all the power. It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 1: And this is way point six.
Speaker 2: Now, way point six. I decided that I wasn't the.
Speaker 1: Only one that needed some kind of help.
Speaker 2: And people aren't going to just look look up on the internet and find a random dude that's going to serve them, you know, plant medicine and feel comfortable doing that. So I thought it was a good idea for me to help guys and be the liaison for that. Right And I say, hey, Jack, you know he's struggling you. Let's talk about this. Hey man, I'm working with plant Medicine. Are you available next month? Man, I'm gonna take you down there with me, and you're gonna feel a lot more comfortable if we approach it that way, right then, you just right, So then I'll take a small group and I'm gonna take you down there. I'm gonna put you through the whole retreat I'm going to do it with you, and that's how we're going to do things. And yeah, speaking of which you want to go.
Speaker 1: I think I ought to at this point, Like I've talked to so many veterans that have been through the process and speak so highly of it, like, probably I should give it a shot myself.
Speaker 2: I don't put as much energy into the things that shouldn't bother me like I used to. I used to, and that would give me anxiety, right, and then that.
Speaker 1: Would you feel more focused? It would upset me.
Speaker 2: I would get angry, and yeah, this like those things don't matter. I've seen what matters, and you can't unsee it. Although I can't describe it to you, I can't unsee it. That's weird, I get it. But it's the most profound thing that ever happened to me. And I just want to share it.
Speaker 1: With the world. And you know, speaking of which, where people where can people go to find a Way point six?
Speaker 2: So waypoint the number six dot com?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's easy enough.
Speaker 2: Waypoints six dot com And uh yeah, they can go on there and and send out an email and usually it's gonna be me calling.
Speaker 1: And you've been doing this like once a month.
Speaker 2: You're saying, I've been going at times twice a month. Okay, but yeah, at least every month.
Speaker 1: So you're in demand.
Speaker 2: We uh, yeah, we're we're pretty booked up at least for a couple of months out, but which is sometimes like, hey, I'll run an extra one this month because.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to call.
Speaker 2: Out any other organizations on your show. I applied to an organization. This is why I went on the internet and found my own guy. Because I applied to an organization, nobody got back to me. I get it like a day or two or three or a week. So I found my own guy. I went, I handled myself.
Speaker 1: I went.
Speaker 2: I found another guy later, and I was like, oh, this shaman is the best, this sanctuary is great.
Speaker 1: Moving in, we're gonna start working, and started getting into a kind of a rhythm and already taken somebody down there.
Speaker 2: And then that organization finally messaged me like it's been a few months. Not only did I self medicate right right, but I found the beauty in it and I found how amazing it was with my results. I've been taking guys down there to get this for themselves, and they were like, oh, man, that's terrific, you know, great, But that was the old ideas, Like they didn't even contact me for such a long time, and then when they did, before I actually came out and told them it was going to be thousands of dollars and I had to do it, you know, like, hey, we can do it next month. It's gonna be thousands of dollars. But if you wait, you know, we might be able to get it sponsored. So then I've been reaching out.
Speaker 1: I understand that they're maybe busy. Right, this is the same complaint that we have had of veterans affairs, that you're on this wait list for nine months, and during that time period, the guy's self medicating and doing stuff that's gonna hurt, if not kill himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I wanted to make my effort to be I want to contact you immediately, like if you send a message, if you're on the website and you're like, hey, more information apply. I want to get back with you within like a day or two. And then I want to be able to get you somewhere. Let's do it like in a month or within the month. Here's the next available one. If I get too many people, I'm gonna run another one. I don't want guys waiting for months on end. And then another thing that I wanted to do slightly differently is that a lot of these organizations that are working with psychedelic medicine, which thank goodness, there's so many of them that are out there, and then it's becoming so much more you know, mainstream, that it gives veterans lots of opportunities to do that. There's so many of these places catering specifically to special operations, which great. You know, I did a lot of time.
Speaker 1: I was a special operations guy. All my friends were you know, soft guys.
Speaker 2: But they're not the only ones that are in the mental fight. There's a lot of guys that are, you know, Marines in Fallujah. It's not special operations. Those dudes were just out there kicking in every single door as dudes in the regular military units, whether that's tenth Mountain, one hundred and first and the eighty second whatever, and they're getting bona by IDs, they're taking RPGs, they're getting shot, they're.
Speaker 1: In there doing it.
Speaker 2: They're in the mix, but they don't get the same kind of credibility because they're not a soft unit guy. So we wanted to we wanted to get away from that and open this up to all veterans that need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not Coast Guard, all veterans.
Speaker 1: So, uh well, thank you for sharing your story, sorry with us, Kenny and setting this whole thing up boy point six and find out here to do this interview. Yeah, it's a lot to think about. Is there anything else that you want to talk about before we get going tonight? I don't know, man, I think that's it. Yeah, we talked about a lot and you got me Well, like you said, I mean, maybe you've got to go and experience it. From here you can describe it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just gotta go. You go with an open mind and an open heart, and you'll come back and you'll move differently.
Speaker 1: Everyone out there, thank you for joining us tonight and we will see all of you next week. Thank you.