Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to the Team House. I'm Jack Murphy here today with our guest Dave Harris. Dave had a nice long army career here. He served in the eighty second Airborne before transitioning over to third Special Forces Group, where he spent seventeen years lots of Afghan deployments in different contexts, and then he was part of the Crisis Response Force when it kind of took over responsibility for the African continent, and then finished out his career as a sophalic instructor and today works with a training company, you know, through Vortec's Optics. So, Dave, thank you for joining us on the show today.
Speaker 2: No, thank you for having me. I'm happy to be here man.
Speaker 1: So Dave, the first question I always ask folks is if you tell us a little bit about kind of like your upbringing and sort of like how that took you towards military service, Like what was it like for you growing up?
Speaker 3: So I grew up in the Bay Area, Richmond, calif To be exact, I've always had a affiliation with guns, loved them to death my whole life, so much so that my family wouldn't let me play with them, so like I loved guns my whole life. I always wanted to be like military, I mean more like law enforcement.
Speaker 2: When I was growing up, my mom was a single mom had me when she was eighteen.
Speaker 3: I will say my dad went to prison and was away, so he was gone.
Speaker 2: I don't really know him, didn't have much contact.
Speaker 3: So when people say like a village, like my mom had me at eighteen, I was the first grand baby, so like my uncles and my aunties and my grandparents.
Speaker 2: Like, everyone raised me like I was the only one.
Speaker 3: For like seven years, so everyone chipped in and raised me so like we lived with my grandparents, so they had the most influenced by my uncle Donald, my mom from Grandpa Be. Everyone just chipped in and raised me up. And then I was in. I went to college playing basketball. Somewhere I got off the gun thing and I went to college playing basketball. And so I was playing basketball in college at Western New Mexico University, and I realized that it was levels to this basketball thing and I wasn't gonna go pro. So I was like, man, what am I gonna do? So I decided I was sitting there and I'm not gonna lie to you'all. Was sitting in my dorm room and I was watching up black Hawk Down and I'm so simple minded. I walked him black Hawk Down and I was like, I'm gonna go do that. And the next day I walked down in the recruiter and I was like, hey, man, I want to go do that and he was like, okay, you want to be infantry. And then I went to MEPs in New Mexico, got into New Mexico, went to maps, and this is what I mean by simple minded. They were like, hey, how long do you want to do and I was like, just sign me up for twenty let's go. She was like about three. I was like, all right, three it is. And so she said, oh, what do you want to do? And I told her, look, I want to put on a ruck and I want to run. She was like, you want to rock and run. I was like, yeah, job, you got this, gonna let me do those two things and she was like okay. And they didn't put me infantry. They made me a fourteen Sierra Stinger missileman. So I got to that. And then you want me to keep going about the army piece?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure, I mean I think you know it's it's yeah, definitely go ahead.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So when they put me as a fourteenth Sierra, I went to Korea for my first duty station. When you're in Korea, and I was sitting in Korea and I was like, this is nothing like black Hawk down, so.
Speaker 2: I'm getting out right. So I was like, I'm getting out. So I went.
Speaker 3: My first artan was like, hey, you're going airborne. You were high speed private. I want to put you in airborne school.
Speaker 2: Get you in.
Speaker 3: So a month in the Korea, I knew I was going to the Airborne school, going to that eighty second. My first sarten had called and that's before I knew about calling DA and talking to.
Speaker 2: Your branch manager. And I didn't know any of that. First art took care of at all, just because I sang Cadence on some runs like oh you're good. I like you.
Speaker 3: So he pulled some strings and got me there. I did a year in Korea, went to the eighties. I went to Airborne school en route, married my wife while I was a walk en route to airborne school. Hit Airborne school, and then went straight to the eighty second and I never left Fort Bragg after that.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Yeah, you were flying. I mean, you were a recruiters dream too, to like walk through the door and be like, yeah, man, I just want to carry a rucksack, Like what can we do here? They're like, yeah, I got something for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like my recruiter would leave me in the recruiting.
Speaker 3: Station by myself because he knew I was the type of kid like cause he was like, dude, I don't even have to sell you.
Speaker 2: You already a believer.
Speaker 3: I was like, look, man, I'm like, if I'm gonna do it, let's just do it.
Speaker 1: So what year did you arrive? In the eighty second?
Speaker 2: So I got to Fort Bragg in two thousand and three.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, cool. So now the war is popping off and you're going to, you know, a rapidly deploying airborne unit. What was it like, Well, where did you touch down the eighty second?
Speaker 3: So I touched down in the eighty second I got there. I uh so, I touched down right on our dens. It was I want to say, five to five eighty eight second brigade at the time before they used to break everything to those BCTs, and uh so I got there and uh my unit had just got back from Iraq literally like two months before I showed up, So they had a year train up before we were going to go to the next trip. So uh, we had a lot of combat experience uh through that. And that was during the time where people were making rank real fast. So I was in for maybe two years and I was in E five. Wow, right, So I was going to Iraq as an E five And then we took our unit to Iraq as an E five and then uh, they took half the half the guys they took and put in prison because it's no air defense mission in Iraq, So half the guys just got cut and they became prison guards. And I don't know how they determined who was going to be the PSD combook convoys and all that stuff, but I got put as convoy.
Speaker 2: Escorts and all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: So I just did that all the whole time, PSD missions and convoy escorts, and I was like and the whole time, and uh.
Speaker 2: We used to we used to. I had a SF major who used.
Speaker 3: To ride with us, and we used to bring him and he would do all these meetings and like the capitals and everywhere, and uh, we do that for a while and me and him would be because he would plug into our comms right in the car, like he would have his own Peal Tours plug in, so we couldn't talk shit about him or nothing because he was plugged into the net right he plug in, and we would be because you could talk internally, and you could talk internally, and we're talking internally, and I'm just like, look, man.
Speaker 2: Here's the deal.
Speaker 3: I don't mean to talk bad about it, but I was like, I was like, I can do more than this for my country.
Speaker 2: I was like, I get it.
Speaker 3: I don't understand because I'm a five but I've been in the army two years. I don't understand by taking him to meet to provincial governor, the implications of that meeting and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't understand that.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, I'm just a taxi driver, bro, I can do more than this. And that's so he was like, well, if you feel you could do more than this, you should go ahead and try out for SF and blah blah blah and all this stuff.
Speaker 2: So we were.
Speaker 3: Doing missions and I bump into fifth Group Crift guys in Iraq and me and him are talking and I'm like hey man, what do you do? And he's saying, I do SF and I'm like, I don't really know what that is. By this point, black Hawk Down is not even on my head no more. I'm like, dude, I'm getting out right. So I was like, I don't know what that is, blah blah blah. But by the end of IRAQ, right because the bonuses were real good, I was like, okay, I want to I want to re enlist, and I want to go cascout. But my intentions was when I get back to the States, I'm going to SF Like I already knew I was going to do this selection and if it wouldn't have worked out, they would have screwed me, right, Because he was like, well, just take the bonus because if you if you reclass, you're going to owe that new MOS sometime, right. So I was like, okay, I don't want to do that. So he was like, just stay your old MOS, get your reenlistment bonus, and go sl and I was like, you know what, that sounds like a plan.
Speaker 2: So I reenlisted and if I went and got selected, I'd have hated life as an air defense guy still.
Speaker 1: So you went to SFAs and like four five.
Speaker 3: As soon as we got back from that trip. So I got there in two niney and three six oh six.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so did it sounds like maybe you didn't have a lot of time to like prepare for SFAs before you went.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: So I we were doing missions in Iraq, but when we were like go on a convoy, we take them to like major places, like we go to the embassy or we go to a major compound so they can meet this governor. Well, they had gems and everything, so I would do I would do like work out there, lift and stuff, and then when we come back, I would just be like, okay me and I actually had a captain, well lieutenant at the time who was training up to He was like our XO and we would put on our rucksack and just walk around camp.
Speaker 2: I think it victory at the time, yep. So I was just like, all right, let's do that.
Speaker 3: And then my opportunite starting at the time was really a good guy and he could and it's eighty second, so he could run like crazy, so he would just like an eighty second that's all you do. So so I would he would make us run all the time because he didn't believe in like not doing PT test because we were deployed, so we were doing every six months we were doing a PT test or something, so like we were still working out, but I was like, I'm going to do this, so I would like get up, do our mission, go lift weights, come back from that, and then I would do my cardio at night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you kind of had to when it was like one hundred and ten degrees during the day.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh definitely.
Speaker 1: So how did how did SFA when you got there?
Speaker 2: So we got back from our deployment.
Speaker 3: I put in my packet the like during leave and I literally we came off of leave and I already had my selection date and my opportunity s are And I remember him being like, when you were going to tell me that you were going to selection next week? And I was like, I'm telling you now, I'm leaving next week right for selection. So I went to selection and uh, I always tell people it was it was doable. I'm not something special, Like I don't believe like I'm super special. I believe like God just gave me one thing is like I'm going to work hard, right, I just want to keep going. So it's just like, yo, dude, as long as you don't quit, you may not make the times, but don't quit. You don't know who times are, so just keep going. So that was my mentality, just like don't quit, don't quit. So I just was like, all right, here we go, and I was like, I just don't want to be I don't want to be last. I don't know what is good. And then I had this thing, I don't know fear because you know, in selection, you know what everyone you They don't let you know what everyone units are, but you find out, yeah, they're from Ranger bat and they're from this and they're from that, right, So on all the rucks, all I would do is like run and I look at a guy, I be like, okay, I'm gonna catch him, and then I'd run and catch him. And I remember to this day, anytime someone caught me, I would look and I'd be like, oh shit, he's a Ranger back guy.
Speaker 2: I must mean, like all of them are right behind me.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna run like whatever I'm doing, just stay running.
Speaker 1: I mean I went to selection from Ranger Battalion and like even I remember thinking, you know they have you fill out that form, like, you know, asking you what do you bring to Special Forces? What skills do you have? Blah blah blah. There were guys there who grew up speaking Russian in the house, had all these like advanced skills in language and cultural know how, And I'm like, uh, I was a ranger. I know how to shoot guns, and as I felt like an adequate you know, I'm like, I don't know if I really stack up. But then when I went back to the barracks and listen to the guy's talk and some of them wrote like I can carry heavy things. I was like, well maybe I'll be okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they make you do those questionnaires and stuff. You just like, I don't even know what you want me, Like, what do you want from me? Bro yep.
Speaker 1: Well, my my favorite was an old school SF guy told me the story on the psych exam. One of the questions was do you prefer it when people speak frankly? And the guy went up to the proctor of the exam and said, who's.
Speaker 2: Frank that's a good one.
Speaker 1: You may have failed the exam at that point. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well that so the only thing that happened to me at selection that was iffy at all was a my psychic vow. They pulled me aside because on my psychic vow I said, I get angry with my wife and they said, well, do you ever hit her? And I said no, and she was like, They were like, well, what do you mean you get so angry cause she's the only person that I have to actually listen to it, Like, I can't get away, he's.
Speaker 2: Yelling at me. I can't be like this conversation's over or walk off or it could just be done.
Speaker 3: Jesus gonna follow me from room to the room and keep this conversation going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. The psychological exam was kind of messed up in the sense that there were questions on there like it's written for civilians, but now you have all these combat veterans coming through taking the test, and there are questions on there like I know who is trying to kill me? Now, as a civilian, if you answer yes, you sound like a lunatic, and maybe you are. But if you're a veteran and you just came out of a war zone, yeah, I know who's trying to kill me. It's al Qaeda, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, I agree. I agree the guy with the gun.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, probably, yeah, it's not it's not a hypothetical. You know, you're not schizophrenic, like people really are out to get you.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you get through SFAs and what mos do you get in line? Which do you got?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So I get through UH, I get through uh SFAs and I'm sitting there and there asking me about all these different moss and he's like starting to talk to me and he gets to like Delta, and I've never confused, like, I'm not that dude. I was like, look, man, stop, how about you just put Bravo on that paper in Spanish. We'll call it good on all the stuff you're talking. Just put Bravo in Spanish.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Afterwards, in the medical book, I probably couldn't read stop right, So he puts uh. He's like, okay, Bravo Spanish. So I get eighteen Bravo. But I get Indonesian. Okay, So I get eighteen Bravo on Indonesian and then UH.
Speaker 2: So I knew I didn't want to go to UH.
Speaker 3: I'm not nothing against first group, but I had been at BRAGG my whole time, and my daughter was born with sebral pozli.
Speaker 2: So she had already had all the medical attention.
Speaker 3: We had already been to doctors at Duke and she's seeing physical therapists and all this stuff. So I was like, I'm not going to open. I can't do that, right, So I wasn't gonna do that. So I'm going through the Q course and I'm talking to my cadre every and I passed. I didn't fell any phases. I go through everything. Only issue I had was swimming. Hah, that's true. It's a stereotype because it might be true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you guys, you have barbecues instead of pool parties. Start it starts young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that was my only issue I had.
Speaker 3: But of course I passed all the phases and uh, every phase, I would come back to Cadre like I can't like go to first group. I just can't go to Okinawa. My daughter has this, and he was like, not a problem. So I was the I got done with. I passed it all and then they put me if only Indonesia and.
Speaker 1: Speaker in third group, that's hilarious.
Speaker 3: And then they switched me over to Darry and respect the language to learn that.
Speaker 1: So you are a Indo speaking eighteen Bravo in third group. Yea, and what what team? What was your first team? And uh, I mean you told me earlier you went out the first trip was a J set.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I went to three two three one, a mobility team, Charlie Company's second battalion.
Speaker 2: I went to three two three one. I got on that team.
Speaker 3: They were a mobility team at the time, and we were they were half the half of the teams were in Afghanistan and this team was back. So I went to that team that was back, and then instead of going to join the rest of the battalion in Afghanistan, they had J sets and we got hit with Pakistan.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we went to Pakistan.
Speaker 1: Uh, what was the mission in Pakistan? Were you guys training? I think it's the SSG. Is there SF guys, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's their Tier one element yeah or Tier whatever, Yes, their special operations. We were training them and they had It was weird because we didn't even get interpreters, so we were using their like basically their intel dudes were saying their intel dudes that were there taking the class, they were our interpreters to like get everything to go through.
Speaker 2: So that was it was. It was very interesting.
Speaker 3: Uh. Sign note on that is you know, you make your E and E plan if you need to get away, right. So we're sitting there and we make our plan, and the plan for our E and E is like, if something goes wrong, we're gonna E and E to Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: And our medic says, so we're gonna E and E to the war. We were like, yeah, we're running to nothing else.
Speaker 1: But I mean that's a technique. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we did our jaset to Pakistan. Uh. We were there for almost five months and uh, then we came back.
Speaker 1: How do you think the training program went? Do you think like we've seen some good positive results with the guys by the end of five months.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they were doing ops as well while we were training. They would go do ops so and then they would come back. So it was going well. I think it went real well. I'll be honest with you, I would say that that was the first time that I understood, like, you know.
Speaker 2: How everything's always being assessed.
Speaker 3: So I remember giving a class on small unit tactics and like everyone.
Speaker 2: On the team just standing there watching me.
Speaker 3: But there and I'm going through all the tactics and then and I finally look up at them and I'm like, hey, is something wrong, And they're like, no, keep going, And I'm like, oh, they're they're watching to see what I'm putting out.
Speaker 2: They're like assessing my performance now because you're the new.
Speaker 1: Guy on the team. Yeah, any other interesting stories about Pakistan? I mean, do you get to go like some of the guys talking about patrolling around up in the mountains and stuff with those dudes.
Speaker 2: We didn't do.
Speaker 3: We didn't get to do any ops with them at all. Actually, when I was there, we didn't do anything other than train them and let them go and would come back and then we would debrief and then set up the next days like a week of training.
Speaker 2: Then they would go on to ops.
Speaker 3: Cool cool Other than the only cool, nothing really cool happened other than going through a checkpoint and getting getting hit in the paper because they caught us with a gun in our vehicles and they hit us in the paper. Apparently we were there to assassinate the president. That was the only thing we were happening to us. I remember looking at Bobby looking getting out the car, and he just.
Speaker 2: Looks back at my vehicle on his face. I was like, what happened? I have my pistol on my lap and I grab it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, are we about to get in a shootout at like in the in Islamabad, like in the capitol with the patrol because I'm like, what's going on here? And then finally the guys that you call at the embassy, that's the l and O's, they came out and got everything settled. And then the next morning we saw that we were trying to sneak sneak Oozzi's in the assassin the president.
Speaker 1: Guys, if you're a lady, or you're fella or that person that sends you an eggplant emoji at two am is ready for better sex, then you should be two That's where blue Choo comes in. They have been on a mission for years to help get you bricked up, build your confidence, and help you actually perform in the bedroom. Their new arousal boosting formula, blue Chew Gold, is helping millions of men have better sex in twenty twenty six. While most eed meds focus only on blood flow, blue Cheo Gold goes further by combining two ingredients for blood flow. With two ingredients for mental arousal and connection, so you're not just physically ready, you're actually in the mood. This type of innovation is why Blue Cheo Gold is the number one brand in a rectile function. Don't let your mind get in the way of a good time. Discover your options at blue cheo dot com, and we've got a special deal for our listeners right now. When you buy two months of Blue Cheo Gold, you get a third for free with the promo code house Call. That's promo Code house Call. Visit blue cheo dot com for more details and important safety information, and we thank Blue Cheo for sponsoring this podcast. If upgrading your full sleep setup has been on the list for a while, ghost Bed's fourth of July sale is the time to actually do it. Right now, you can get two hundred and fifty dollars off mattress bundles, which means you can add cooling pillows, cooling sheets, or an adjustable base and still come out well ahead of what you'd pay anywhere else. And as a Team House listener, you get an extra ten percent off on top of that using the code House Ghostbed is a family owned company with more than twenty years of mattress making experience. Their background is in manufacturing, so every product in their lineup is built with the same focus on materials and construction rather than marketing spend in inflated markups. Every Ghostbed mattress is built with cooling from the ground up and their pro core support layer, which reinforces the center of the mattress where your body puts the most weight. Don't take it from me, They've got more than one hundred thousand positive reviews from people who made the switch and didn't look back. Mattresses are made in the USA and Canada and come with a one hundred and one night sleep trial, fast and free shipping and a warranty up to twenty five years, twice the industry standard. Not sure where to start, head to ghostbed dot com slash house and take their mattress quiz to find the right mattress. Then build from there. Go to ghostbed dot com slash house and use the promo code house at checkout. That's ghostbed dot com slash house Promo code House. Some exclusions apply.
Speaker 2: Sea site for details.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, today I want to tell you about Van Mann's tallow and honeybalm. I think doctor squatch is some small wholesome company berts Bees Native Think again. They've all been bought out by mega corporations and private equity firms who hijack these beloved brands and fill them with the same corporate slop as everyone else. But one company is doing things differently, The Vanman Company. They started the tallow trend a few years back with their grass fed tallow moisturizers, and they've been crushing it ever since, with hit after hit of clean, nearly edible solutions to your everyday products. Here's the thing about tallow. It's the best moisturizer on earth because the fatty acids and tallow are nearly identical to the oils in your own skin. Your body actually recognizes it. One use and you'll feel the difference. Your skin will be softer and smoother than anything you've gotten from a bottle full of chemicals and fillers. And because there's no filler garbage, a little bit goes a long way. This stuff will actually last. Tallobomb isn't just some moisturizer, though it can replace your lotion, night clean, wrinkle cream, even neosporin and diaper balm, powerful enough to heal the skin yet safe enough to spread on your toast. That's Real Ingredients. Ready to ditch the corporate chemicals. Go to Vanman Dot Shop slash Teamhouse and use the Code Teamhouse for fifteen percent off your first order. That's van Man Dot Shop slash Teamhouse and use the Code Teamhouse for fifteen percent off your first order van Man Real Ingredients, no exceptions. So you guys made the papers. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, diplomatic relations. I mean it's it's probably you know, probably maybe it's just salacious press, but it could also be the bad guys trying to you know, yeah, make the team look bad, make the Americans look bad. Yeah, I and this team. I mean, it's interesting that from what you were telling me, it went through some transitions numerous times while you were there. What was sort of like the next thing that came for you and your ODA.
Speaker 3: So we got back from Pakistan, we were there for about six months and then uh we got tagged or we got a new team startant and he was huge in the ASO game, like the ASO thing, and somehow I don't know why, but our team got picked and we became that we were to go and become the ASO team. So so we became the ASO team, which meant everyone had to go to level two and level three and do all these different schools and.
Speaker 2: That was cool.
Speaker 3: I tried to quit because I knew I didn't want to do that, so I tried to do it the right way, which backfired. I went to my team start and his name was Chuck, and I was like, hey, Chuck, we're about to beat this ASO team, and I don't want to do it, so I would like to leave the team. And Chuck looked at me and he was like, no, I stayed on the team for two more years.
Speaker 1: Do you want to explain to folks what like ASO is? Some non SF dudes probably won't won't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just basically, uh, for the simplest way to put it is, you're writing reports and you're talking to people. You're basically working sources and dealing with like you're you're doing CIA stuff, but you're not CIA, and it's nowhere new as its high speed of CIA. Don't like, I'm not getting into that. You're just talking to people and writing.
Speaker 1: Reports and sending them up right, right, So that's all the like human intelligence side of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all those human intelligence. So we were gathering.
Speaker 1: And so you guys transition to the ASO team and you reluctantly go through the training that's required, yeah, to get qualified, and then they send you guys to Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: Yes, we go to Afghanistan as an ASO team, but we are Our story is we're just a regular ODA.
Speaker 2: So all we did was regular ODIA stuff. And then we had.
Speaker 3: Because some of us really didn't like doing the ASO mission obviously, right, so.
Speaker 2: They gave guys like, hey, Dave, you like to talk. He likes to talk. Nothing should come to this. You talk to him.
Speaker 3: So I just was like, all right, man, you're gonna come around here. Hey, every two weeks, we'll meet and you can tell me stuff. So that was mine and then we just did regular ODA missions for the whole time, and it was just going on patrols, three day patrols out come back, and then people would be writing reports and I'd be because we built the camp in gurr Gurry, Afghanistan, so I'll be basically I was base security doing all that stuff. So it really wasn't a lot of as SO I could do because I was doing.
Speaker 1: That this is during that time where they were putting smaller sfobs out there in the hinter lands of Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: Yes, so they were putting us out there. So with the Golden Hour, if everything went perfect, we were.
Speaker 2: At fifty nine minutes.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, Like so we were like, if everything goes perfect to get a guy out, we were at fifty nine minutes from the closest base you get, you to get medical aids?
Speaker 1: And what was that like? Kind of like standing up a camp from scratch.
Speaker 3: So I've done that twice. So from it's it's it's strange.
Speaker 2: Because when you get there, nothing's there.
Speaker 3: So everything is like old school, like just infantry tactics, like, hey, you build your perimeter, everyone's on security. Hey, you guys can sleep, you guys can stay awake. Hey when are these palettes coming? You gotta And I'll be honest, it teaches you a lot of the interkeys intricacies of sf as in how do you get funding, how do who needs to do paperwork?
Speaker 2: Contracting agents?
Speaker 3: What classes are needed for the contracting agents, and all those ins and outs that like a lot of guys don't never have to deal with. I had to learn all that kind of stuff on the fly as a SF dude with a year in.
Speaker 1: The group and also in combat we should mention.
Speaker 3: So you're figuring out how to because most of that stuff they making you do all these classes and it's not it's power point online classes. So now you figure it like the echoes, makeshift and some internet because we don't have a camp, so sitting there trying to get this done because you need the money so we could get a building built so you can do this. So you're learning all that stuff.
Speaker 1: By the time you left, what did that camp look like?
Speaker 3: Uh? So when we started we uh so we did ten on and the first ten was uh, it was just we had. It was just the desert. So by the time we left, we had probably a two k for base, and to the north we had uh it was to the north of us we had like the junkyard and then if you went more east you had the village that was tow ourd the village, and then to the back we had the road, and then out to the other side it was just more desert. So it was just more desert and then we were and the camp was pretty big. We cut the camp in half so it was a two K base with about one k splinning in half.
Speaker 2: And that was the Afghan.
Speaker 3: Side, and then we had the American side and CEBs come out, the Seabs came out and they built us our makeshift huts so we could live in those, and we had those going around the perimeter of the American side, and then on the Afghan side we had a foreman and they built their own buildings with the concrete.
Speaker 1: If lots of filling sandbags, I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and hes yeah, yeah, a lot of hescoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean some of those bases really looked like Vietnam aero fire bases.
Speaker 3: Oh it was, it was. And then we used to get it was this one day. I was impressed. Actually, I'm not even gonna lie I was impressed. We used to get attacked once a month by this dude shooting one o five rockets and he was shoot one oh five. He was shooting three. I don't know if he only could save money to buy three at a time. I don't know why it was always three, but.
Speaker 2: He only shot three rockets well, and he was shooting them off. He was using a car.
Speaker 3: Battery and rocks, but he was super accurate, so that was impressed me was I was like, Okay, he missed, but he stacked three rockets right here right, and he was bracking at us. So one month it hit off to the right, next mind it would hit off to the left right.
Speaker 2: Then the next month it just.
Speaker 3: Go right over the base, and I'm like, man, this dude, I'm impressed, Like this is he doing this with like rock just that and then we we answer with mortars eventually.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so that took care of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And and in the meantime, you said you were going out and doing these patrols. What was it like sort of trying to balance the special forces, you know, by with and through working with the Endage, but also this sort of ASO mission that you guys have as well.
Speaker 3: It was I'll be honest, it was a I'm not gonna for me. It was not hard. And the reason why is because I didn't know nothing else. So you could say like, oh man, it was all this stuff, but I was like, that's what I walked into. It was like this was my first trip and we were doing this, so I don't know anything else. So it was like, hey, three days a week, we're going on patrols. You need to make your meetings happen on these days. Your meeting can happen on these days. A day after you meet this guy, you need to have your report written up. Go into the skiff, have your report written up, and then level three I'll look it over. So that was just normal life for me. I didn't know anything different. So like we would do our conops. We do our conops a week prior to get sent up, and our team start was actually like mentoring us.
Speaker 2: So each guy if he gave you, like, hey, this is where.
Speaker 3: We're going right to Conda, gotcha, yeah, yeah, and then he would look it over and send it up. So he was making us learn how to do all that stuff right, right, Like we learned how to do our own conops.
Speaker 2: We learned how to do all that stuff.
Speaker 3: And then I'll be honest, at first it would take like reports, everything took. If anybody's like any new job, you take six hours to get something done that might have should have took twenty minutes when you started, because you don't know what you don't know, and so yeah, it takes me almost a half a day to write one condop, right, and then by the time we were leaving, I could get a conop done in thirty minutes, but even I could have a report done in two hours.
Speaker 2: At first, it was like, Okay, this report's gonna.
Speaker 3: Take me all day to write because I don't know what you want to see. So at first it was hectic just because it took so much time to know what you're like trying to get out.
Speaker 2: But by the time you get done, it was it was easy.
Speaker 3: And then by the time we left and came back the second time, because we came back to the same base as an ASO team, the camp was really built up by the end because by that point you got so many millions of dollars and put into.
Speaker 2: That camp, and then we left and we decided to tear it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on was that on the third trip that you tore it down.
Speaker 3: So when I left the last time, we ripped out with a team from fifth group and they ripped down the base.
Speaker 2: Part.
Speaker 1: Do you think that you know, was the team able to like kind of provide some situational awareness for the si Josoda for whoever you were reporting to about what was going on in that AO.
Speaker 3: Yes, so from the age So okay, so funny story on that.
Speaker 2: Did you remember I told you they gave me the guy that.
Speaker 3: Wasn't supposed to nothing was supposed to come of it. I said, they gave me the guy because.
Speaker 1: They knew I didn't like, Oh right, right, right, he's.
Speaker 2: Gonna come with this.
Speaker 3: Well, fast forward eight months and guess who was the only guy still having meetings eight months later, I'm still the only guy having meetings with my dude. And we actually were able to accomplish what they put us there to accomplish.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was like, okay, but it was cool.
Speaker 3: But then once we accomplished it and we were like, hey, we got this guy, that's when colonels and people with bags of money flew in and I was like, I don't, Dave, You're not needed at this meeting.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, I mean that's that's always the complaint about, you know, the complaint within SF. I think, like you said, CIA is doing this like strategic level stuff, and you're doing like tactical level stuff. And if you get to a point where you're building a strategic source, the eye in the sky comes in and takes it away from you.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know exactly what I'm saying like it was like, hey, can you do this? I'm like, and they gave me us a mission.
Speaker 3: They probably they were like, you're not gonna be able to get it done. And then when we were like, oh ship someone someone can do it, it was like, oh, you don't need to be doing.
Speaker 2: That no more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you for your service.
Speaker 2: Yep. That was the end of that.
Speaker 1: Uh and then what was the third trip to Afghanistan with that team.
Speaker 3: So we switched back to being a mobility team. So when we got back, we did ten on ten off. Ten on came and we got back. They were like our colonel, which he was. It sucked, but he was the like I respected him more than any any like any commander I had. And the reason why is because we only got five months home right on this one.
Speaker 2: But he came in our team room, he took the time.
Speaker 3: Him and the start major walked in and was like, hey, do y'all feel I'm fucking you got.
Speaker 2: Excuse my language, Do.
Speaker 3: Y'all feel I'm fucking y'all over? And you know, I'm like, yeah, I feel that.
Speaker 1: Way, so go honest feedback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but guess what, he took the time out of his day to come in and just be like and he said straight out of his mouth, I'm taking every team in Afghanistan. I didn't like it, but I respected it as a leader, like you came down here and told me like a man to my face.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I respect that. I can get down with that. I don't like it, but I'll execute. So after he did that, we went and I remember going in and they were giving us our papers to sign that you don't care about your dwell time, like I'll sign off my glove time. So I'm there and I'm like, so if I don't sign this, I don't have to go.
Speaker 2: And everyone starts laughing. It's like David, you're going.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I know, So, I just don't know why they even bringing this paper up.
Speaker 1: It's h mandatory, mandatory but not Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you signed his paper so that way, if something happens, he didn't want.
Speaker 2: His dwell time anyway, that's all that is. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I signed the paper and then we go back to Afghanistan, and this time we went to uh Man. We went to a police base, but we had to build another camp. We went to a police academy, but we went to the top of the mountain and it was maybe an hour away from Bath and everything where we had to drive. So we were about a how we're there. We built the academy there, and then uh we built that academy up and we were just doing ops NonStop.
Speaker 1: Any particular like operations that kind of stand out in your mind where a little uh sketchy.
Speaker 3: Uh So, yeah, we had some. I'll be honest for the I will be honest with you. I hate it being in the vehicle. Yeah, some people liked being in the vehicles, I guess, and like, like looking, I just felt like every time we got a contacting a vehicle, I couldn't see anything through.
Speaker 2: The crow system right right.
Speaker 3: So so I would do my best to be like, hey, dude, I want to be out and like put me out. And I was a sniper qualified, I'd be like, I don't care, I'll go do Overwatch. Just give me another guy, We'll go do that. Give me the side by side, I'll ride that. The only op I will tell you that I ever got nervous about. Uh, it was it was before this trip. It was another trip where it was a time where the year that the highest green on blue was happening that year.
Speaker 1: So uh.
Speaker 3: I remember we were waiting on an air drop and I was on the side by side and it was Afghans were coming down the road on their trucks and I was on the.
Speaker 1: Side by side, side by side. It is like a it's like a gator.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's no, it's just the four wheeler.
Speaker 1: Oh gotcha, yeah quatch I'm sorry, not on.
Speaker 2: Side by side. I was on the four wheeler.
Speaker 3: I'm on the wheeler and I'm going and I'm driving, and uh, as I'm driving the four wheeler, I stopped the vehicle. I don't make I don't know what makes me think. Because I'm an American, I guess I got power to make them stop in a in a truck, right, So I stop them.
Speaker 2: They want to drive past. I'm like no. And then as I pull up on them, they had.
Speaker 3: Their dish on top and everything, and in my head I was like, oh shit, this could go real bad. I'm on a four wheeler with a rifle slung on my back.
Speaker 2: This could go bad. So and then other than that, I mean I've had uh.
Speaker 3: The only time I ever would say it was a real bad mission was up I was involved in one where uh where, I was not even there at the exact moment it happened. We were all all of us were in one location and a great on blue incident happened.
Speaker 1: Oh man, are you okay like talking about it?
Speaker 3: I wasn't so when we had like all of us were on one location, and I can't really speak on what exactly.
Speaker 2: Happened because as soon as they got in, we left the camp and that's when everything broke out.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So did you have to go back and like respond to all that.
Speaker 3: No, we were out doing our thing fighting outside at that point.
Speaker 1: W Yeah, Jesus, it's crazy that it's just one more hazard that you got to worry about.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and that was the only time I ever was like, oh man, that's everything else that has happened. They tell me I don't have any issues because I cope with it well, and I was like, ah, I just understood.
Speaker 2: It was war and that's that. It just is what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think that's pretty common. Like, you know, at least soldiers understand that you show up on a battlefield and some soldiers are going to die, Like everyone kind of knows that. It's sort of the other things I think that you know, like when you see the collateral damage that really bothers people.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I would say that's the only thing I've ever been messed up with is like seeing kids. Yeah, kids got injured. I'd be like, damn, that's younger than my daughter. Are they the same age as my son?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And the abject poverty that they're living in is just yeah, it's it's pretty rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh So you come back from that, I mean you've definitely gotten your feet wet at this point as a as an eighteen Bravo on an A team, you come back home from that and what is sort of like, you know this thing the crisis response for us, Like how did that kind of come into your life? Where did you first hear about it?
Speaker 3: So when I was coming to SF, I like, remember I have the Fifth Group guy I met in Iraq was a Crift guy. Yeah, yeah, and he said go to fifth group, tip with the spear and go to the crypt.
Speaker 2: Don't don't know if it was true. Never been in fifth group.
Speaker 3: I'm an eighty second four five at the time, I'm like, okay, go to the fifth group, Criff.
Speaker 2: That's all I know.
Speaker 3: So as I'm going through the Bravo course, one of the cadre was like, is there anything I ever could do for you?
Speaker 2: Let me know?
Speaker 3: So I said, yeah, there's something you can do for me. I want to go to the cryp. He responded with that was not a good idea. You should go to group, learn your job, and then you then that. So he talked to Sar Major Peters at the time, which I had never even met Sara Major Peters. He talked to Sar Major Peters, made a call, and when we showed up, everyone I was with because Fourth Battalion was trying to get manned, everyone that showed up with me went to Fourth Battalion and.
Speaker 2: I went to Second because that's where the criff was.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, so they're putting close to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I went to Second and I went to Charlie Company.
Speaker 3: And then I was like, okay, I'm doing my team time and I'm like, hey, I know I want to go to the criff. I really don't know what they're doing. I really don't know anything about it. I just want to go do that. That's what that guy told me. That's what I want to do. And as I'm there more and more and more. I'm like, oh they do cq b oh they do this. And I always could always say the problem that I found when what I was on my team was you wanted me to be good at so much crap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's a lot.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, I was like, man, just give me four tasks.
Speaker 3: I can master four things really good, right, But you can be good at so much crap and I it's like I can't. I'm maybe a B plus in all of it, like and some things I'm an F Like some things I'm an A.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: People don't understand like how much responsibility each guy on an ODA has. And you think if you're an eighteen Bravo, you just like clean the guns and make sure the guns are operational. No, there's so much more to it. You're training. The Afghans are in charge of based security. The Charlie's have their job. They're yeah, they do demolitions, but they're also having to build the camp and get the construction materials. The the the como guys, I mean, yeah, they're in charge of the como you know, our radios, but they're also in charge of the networking within the camp. So like everyone has tons of different lanes that they have to be in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and no one's telling you about those.
Speaker 3: The actual Uh, no one's ever hitting you with the actual the little.
Speaker 2: S shop duties. No one's telling you those.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: No one's ever given you all that.
Speaker 1: The the medics are often there, aren't They lost that already got a phone call?
Speaker 2: Yeah, your book.
Speaker 1: Right now? All right, guys. Uh so, I want to tell you about my novel, The Most Dangerous Man, came out in June. It is up on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for one ninety nine. You can go find it right now.
Speaker 2: I apologize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no worries, dude, you just got to plug in your phone.
Speaker 2: No, something just happened. I don't know when.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so talking about that eighteen delta's they have the admin duties and yeah, and.
Speaker 3: No one tells you about like that in itself is another job.
Speaker 1: And then the ASO stuff is stumped on too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like no one tells you about like, oh, don't forget you need to learn how to do risk assessments.
Speaker 2: What right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, this guy needs to learn how to do all this other crap. Oh yeah, he needs to learn how to do purchase requests, and he's.
Speaker 1: Got you need to go down down down the road and get the hazmat class and learn how to take this huge book and look through it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like no one tells you all those extra duties.
Speaker 3: And then it's like, well, there's no way I can do all that crap. Yeah I can't be So I was like, Okay, the.
Speaker 2: Criff is all that is.
Speaker 3: Is like like, yes, the Criff has all those other duties at least, and I'm just gonna be blunting my opinion. They just blow off all the other say at least when I was there, it was like, yeah, we're supposed to do ASO.
Speaker 2: Do we ever train ASO?
Speaker 3: No cek be it this so you get really good at ccbing shooting, right. So that's why I was like, hey, I just want to go and let me just hone. Let me just work on one skill. Let me work on one or two skills. I could be really good at those. So I really after about I was selling my company for six years and then I was sniper qualified already. So I was like, hey, I remember I went to Group Battalion Start Major, and I was like, hey, I want to re enlist and he was like, okay, what.
Speaker 2: Do you want And I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you know, thor Or three is like a workout program, So I happened to THOR at the time needed help with trainers. They didn't have enough trainers, so I was my Sartain Major's trainer because I had been using thor for like four years program.
Speaker 2: It was I went there every day for four years.
Speaker 3: So I started working with my startint major because he would come in and I would be the guy that worked them, so I knew him pretty good. So I was like, hey, sar Major came into the office. I was like, hey, I want to re enlist. He was like okay, what do you want? And I was like, move me to the crist and he was like that's it and I was like yeah, and he was like, so when will you re enlist? And I was like when you move me? I played this game before.
Speaker 1: I like your bargaining techniques, you know, yeah, the star Major being like a used car salesman.
Speaker 3: But here's my question. And I told someone in the crypt desk. I was like, if he would have said no, I would screwed my tap. He knew I wanted to stay in. I already put my cards on the table.
Speaker 2: I'm staying in. This is what I want to stay in. But he was cool.
Speaker 3: He told me, Okay, you'll be moving in February. I stayed there for the rest of that year. February I moved over to the Criff, re enlisted, and that was that.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. So what was your first position when you got to the Criff.
Speaker 3: So they put me in the arms room until I could get saphardic qualified. Gotcha, because I'm sniper qualified, but I'm not sephardic, so I guess by doctor and I wasn't able to go on operations like going do CQB. So they put me in an arms room for six months while I trained with the guys getting better at pistol shooting, and because my pistol shooting was bad, so they had to really work with me a lot.
Speaker 2: So they worked with me a lot.
Speaker 3: Actually, one guy and the mel took me under his wing and like trained me up for it to the point when I got to Sapharta, the shooting wasn't the problem. I wasn't worried about that, and they kind of trained me to the point where They were like, we want you to only care about CQB. We don't even want shooting to be something you're thinking about. So that way you can just learn the CQB.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So I went to I trained for six months with them there, and I was like shooting. I was with the teams every time they went to do anything. And after that, after that, I went from there to CQB. I went to Sefhartick and I went and after I got out there. After that, I got out there. I graduated from Safardik in two thousand. Let me think here. In twenty fourteen, fifteen, I graduated from Seafartick. And then after I graduated from Safartick, I went straight to three two to two. Okay, I went straight to three two two two uh, and I was on the sault side.
Speaker 1: Awesome. So what did you think of Saphartik, I.
Speaker 2: Will be honest.
Speaker 3: So comparing sniper school to Safartick, Safardik was a way funner school, but it's super subjective. Sniper school is way it was fun too, but but it's not subjective.
Speaker 2: Sniping school was like you take the shot. You either here or you missed right right.
Speaker 3: The partic is like you go in a room, you dig a corner, cat like, you didn't dig your corner. You're like, I did, I didn't see you dig your corner dig you. So it's way more like okay, you're kind of like, okay, I have to actually do this and collapse the.
Speaker 2: Sector and do all this stuff.
Speaker 3: But to me, the school was way more fun blowing up doors or going in building shooting.
Speaker 2: It's just way more interactive, right.
Speaker 1: Right, right. We should take a second here just to tell people, explain to people who are not military sephardic, I'm gonna try to get the acronym right. Special Forces Advanced for Connaissance and.
Speaker 2: Course is that it course and technical next league yep.
Speaker 1: Uh, And and that is the Special Forces course for it really is specifically for the CRIFF to get them qualify FIED to do a hostage rescue missions really and to support JSK and help them out as necessary. And then sniper the SODIC course which is now the Special Forces Sniper Course and same thing but on the sniper side. And then the CRIFF itself. The Crisis Response Force used to be called the Commander's in Extremist Force, and they are the Special Forces sort of rapid response element is that all?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Right? Did I get anything wrong?
Speaker 2: No? You're good?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you had a good time at Sephardic and then you get back and they put you on one of the assault I think they call them assault cells.
Speaker 2: Right, assault teams, and you have sales in the team?
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Okay? And were you I mean when you got there, what was like your conception of like what the unit's mission.
Speaker 3: Was h So to me, I was like, Okay, I got there and it was the tail end of Iraq, so the mission was changing, so it was the tail in Iraq. So those guys, a lot of those guys had been doing Iraq. They were just hitting buildings. Yeah, And I mean, guys probably gonna get some hate for this. I'm just gonna be honest though, Like guys say like, oh, we were doing this and doing that. They were doing real stuff. But you're doing what the big boys don't want to do. Like let's be real, Like if they really thought it was that important, Tag would have hit the building. Yeah, Delta would be there, Like you're doing the ones that they're not really interested in doing.
Speaker 2: So you're doing a lot of ops.
Speaker 3: But they also were doing ops with them too, so I wasn't a part of any of that. They were getting it on and doing a lot, and then they were helping out and doing a lot, so they had a lot of that. And then when I got there, that was dying m h. So that was when I got there, was more you're the QRF for the big boys when they go do stuff right right, you were, you were on you were on standby waiting. And then I wasn't a part of that deployment. I was the next deployment up. So I went on that My team had just got by from Iraq and that's why I joined them when I graduated Safardik and then the other team pushed out the door that had trained me.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, and so what was your first deployment with them?
Speaker 3: So my first deployment when I got to when I got to my team, we were going straight to Germany to rip out tenth Group and take over.
Speaker 1: The continent, take over the African continent. Yes, and this is all I'd like to have you actually tell the a little bit of the background in the history. But that happened A lot of it happened because of Benghazi, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, so, uh so when I showed up the Third Group. I don't know what happened because Africa was part of Third Groups AO. When I showed up and we were doing Afghanistan and we were doing other things, and then one day we had a group formation and they told us we were af Pack, which basically meant we were we were were we af Stan or something weird, right, But all it really meant was we had Afghanistan and everything that ended with a Stan, so Chajikastan, Pakistan, all those.
Speaker 2: We did all those now. So that's how I got the JA set the Pakistan because Tiff Group took over.
Speaker 3: Africa, they were gonna watch the kind of Africa just because we didn't have the manpower to do all the JA sets they wanted and and covered down in Afghanistan. So the Colonels, I guess, met and they decided to split everything up.
Speaker 2: Well, then when I got when we were.
Speaker 3: Going back toward the end of my career, about toward the end when we were taking over Africa again, it was like switching everyone back to French from Africa, from Dari and all that stuff, and we took back afghan on Africa as the continent and gave Timproup with Tim Group actually sent teams to Afghanistan because we flip flopped, so we I guess that that would got argued was they took they started sending teams Afghanistan, and we took back the continent of Africa and kept some of the stands.
Speaker 1: So what was that experience, like kind of standing up that element and and you know you're having to do it in Germany but be postured to respond into Africa.
Speaker 3: So uh, the Tenth Group team we ripped out with was awesome. So like they had it dowed in. They they were like they had their stuff dialed in and they were put together. So like when we got there, what they handed us was a great product. It was a great product. Everything was legit. If they were if we were have probably had to stand it up from scratch. I don't know what would have happened, honestley, because they gave us a good product. But they had been doing it for so long. I have no idea what they're were.
Speaker 1: Like, Tenth Group had the first SIFT team if I recall correctly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they had two so they had one in Colorado and one I think forward in Germany. So they had two so we got put into so when we ripped out with them, we had a barracks and then Ramstein that had the airfield and one bird stayed at Ramstein ready to go all times, ready waiting for Africa. And then in there we had a hangar. And in the hangar was all the humvees already with the guns on them. Ammo's already ready to go. Everything like stayed in the hangar loaded, prepped. Everything was on standby, ready to go. You had a bag packed and everything. And underneath in our barracks you had a third floor to the bottom floor.
Speaker 2: That's where we kept all our go bags. Everything's prepped, ready to go.
Speaker 3: It actually was more actually like a that's what the christ was supposed to actually be like, where you're on call, ready to go, and you couldn't go further Yep, you couldn't go further than an hour away from base because we could be recalled at any moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's like real life g I Joe mission.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, And I'll be honest, you said, what was life like there in Germany?
Speaker 2: Extremely boring?
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, because you're just waiting to see if you're gonna get the call.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So for me, I'll be honest, it would be like we lived like right down the road from the gym, so I would wake up. If we were doing training, I would go do the training. If we weren't doing training, like it got to the point sometimes it'd be like a Saturday, I'd be like, all right, today, I'm gonna go to the gym. I'm gonna do an hour on elliptical, an hour on the bike, and then I'm gonna do an hour on the treadmill. I would just do three hours of cardial one day. It's because I'm like, I got nothing else to.
Speaker 1: Do, because yeah, I mean, now that you say it, because you can't travel more than an hour away. It's not like you really go sight seeing in Europe.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, so you're just like, okay, So I just like, I'm just gonna stay on the base and I'm just going to just be here and workout and train, and then we do our we do our training training trainings, and then that was it.
Speaker 2: I got lucky, so I got to blow out.
Speaker 3: To a couple of deployments with them, I got to do the I got to go to Nigeria by myself to do embassy the embassy whole security plan thing, because that's part of the mission. So I got to do that, and then we got to blow out for South Sudan, and then I got to do two weeks in Berlin waiting for my passport for Nigeria.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's start with the first one. Was it the Nigeria or South Sudan.
Speaker 3: South Sudan was the first thing I got. Well, Ghana was the first thing we did. Ghana was the first.
Speaker 2: Thing we did.
Speaker 3: So when we landed in UH in Germany, we ripped out with them, and then we went to Ghana to do a joint training with the Ghanaian Special Forces.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, because yeah, that's another another like mission that the CRIFF had over the years. Correct me if I'm wrong, was to train the like Tier one elements of are in countries. They're they're units, yep.
Speaker 3: So that's what we did. We trained with them and then we did uh.
Speaker 2: We did uh. I wouldn't say operations.
Speaker 3: I would say we did training events and everything with them and U six and still Team six.
Speaker 1: And how did that go? What was your question? Ghana?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: It was great. They put us in a called it Resort. It wasn't a resort.
Speaker 3: Okay, it wasn't a resort at all, but they put us up.
Speaker 2: In a resort.
Speaker 3: Uh, it was baw boons just walking around everywhere.
Speaker 2: That was different. The baw boons would attack you. Uh you wake up.
Speaker 3: They had these three ladies that would make food, like you ordered food in the morning, Like they make pancakes and fish and whatever you like. Whatever was on the menu you could order that was there and then we would literally just train non like with them for that was two weeks every month. I got to kind of go somewhere. So that was my first month there. We did in four months there before coming back, so that was my first month and then we did that for two weeks with them training and doing missions.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool training missions.
Speaker 1: Well, what was like the security threat in Ghana that you were kind of training these guys for. Was it terrorism?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they were looking the operation we were actually training them for. Was they were more about terrorism and CQB and hostage rescue situations. That was like we were hitting a lot of I guess you would call them hotels and uh and apartment complexes.
Speaker 2: M like that seemed like that every time we did a training. That's what we were hitting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe maybe there were some fears after like Nairobi and things like that that this is the threat profile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the hit that happened at the Hilton when they had that accident.
Speaker 2: Yeah so, and that was what Molly.
Speaker 1: It was a hotel I think, and then it was a shopping mall in uh and Kenya if I recall correctly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we did a lot of training with them doing uh like every hit seemed like we were hitting either apartment complex or some kind of a hotel complex.
Speaker 1: And then you went back to Germany.
Speaker 2: Yep for two more weeks, and then I got to be in it. And then South Sudan happened.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well yeah so I mean, yeah, your feet are barely touching the ground here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and then South Sudan happened. So South Sudan happened. They were having a civil war. Because how they do their politics is Trump won the election, so Harris would be his vice president.
Speaker 2: So that's how they do their politics.
Speaker 1: It's like it's a parliamentary kind of system.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but what happened was what happened was, yeah, everything starts good like that.
Speaker 2: So what happened was.
Speaker 3: The guy who won the election won, but the guy who was getting put as the vice president.
Speaker 2: Was the military general general who decided. He was like, he was basically dumped that it's a coup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I should be in charge.
Speaker 3: Actually, so that happened, and then uh so we we actually had to We got blown out for that. And the only reason, honestly we got blown out is because the general that was posted that was because we are because when you're in Germany, you are the commander's crisis response for us, for the whole continent of Africa. So he doesn't want to send you out because guess what if he sends you out, he doesn't have someone that responds in Africa. So he wasn't he wasn't there that day, and the general in uh Jabad, the general there, said send them, and he was like, and I'll just talk to and I'll deal with him on the on the flip side, because we slept in the hanger for a day and a half. We just sat in a hanger for a day and a half waiting to be like, okay, are we going?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 1: What was the feeling? What was the feeling when you guys got the call and they were like, yeah, you got the green light. Go.
Speaker 2: Well, at that.
Speaker 3: Point we were sitting there, everything was on the and everything. We were just sitting in the hangars. I had my hammock up attached to two things laying in a hammock, just like I don't know what we're doing right, So we were just sitting there and then they were like going. I was like, oh shit, for real, like we're really going to do this, and so it was it was weird to go there. And then it was strange like when you when we got off the bird and drove all when we landed, all the Americans because so much stuff had happened the Americans that they actually had a civilian plane for the Americans.
Speaker 2: To get on like that. We escorted it in with us.
Speaker 3: But the Americans as we got off our plane to see one thirties, they got on and one lady and one lady no one lady had got it real bad and she was like she was like I'm not getting off this plane.
Speaker 2: No wow. So she wouldn't get off the plane.
Speaker 3: So that civilian plane no one even took because she just was like, I will not get off this plane like this happened to me, and it was a lot like as you can know, which I'm probably talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so she was like no, I'm not getting off the plane.
Speaker 1: Wow. And you guys deep plane obviously hit the airfield and this kind of like really is sort of the quintessential like criff mission, right that they were designed to, if need be, fight their way to the embassy, complete the mission, and fight back off the target.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Oh so yeah, we came off the As we exit the trucks, I'm on top of a gun truck loaded with a fifty cow like ready to go like whatever we're going to get into we're here. As the trucks come off, we all pull a security right off the airfield.
Speaker 2: The Americans come in. The ambassador didn't want.
Speaker 3: To leave, so then we had to convoy to the to where the American compound was. And then we sat there for two weeks doing ops with the ambassador.
Speaker 1: Wow, like you were like escorting him the meetings and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Gordon NonStop.
Speaker 1: Was that kind of dicey, I mean in the midst of a civil war?
Speaker 3: Yes, because before we even took off, the general that is a jag come out to talk to us, which is never a good sign. And basically his I remember this quote verbatim, they are at war, you are.
Speaker 1: Not, so you're you can only shoot if you're shot at, basically exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So like seeing seeing like I saw them shooting at each other, but I'm just sitting there like this is weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and also also weird in the sense that like they probably don't care so much about you because you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're like, look, dude, you have nothing to do with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're not part of this quarrel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but here's the problem you have is now the ambassador want to meet with one of the sides, right, so you're putting me involved. Where Now I got to make sure that hey, you're not really trying to shoot at me, but we just happen to be in this building.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it looks like you're taking sides even if you aren't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so it took We were there for two.
Speaker 3: Weeks and then finally Obama I don't know the commander and then would talk go the teams are in the commander would have meetings and stuff, and finally I guess they got Obama to get on the phone with the ambassador and tell that person.
Speaker 2: They needed to leave plug. Yeah, and then we all got the leaf.
Speaker 1: I heard a story about you guys and UH and Seal Team six actually working over there at the same time. Were those guys there at all?
Speaker 2: I wasn't say. And when in South Sudan?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I could.
Speaker 3: Say if they were there. Uh, I don't know anything about it. But when I went. But when I went to meet with the guys to talk about when I was going to Nigeria, we were talking a lot and and from everything the guys were telling me, was the only people because you know, fine fixed finish right, So the only people that were really action in a lot of stuff was the French.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: So that's what I was.
Speaker 3: Told when I was doing that, because I was trying to figure out the evacuum wish and plan for the embassy in Nigeria.
Speaker 1: Tell us about first, you know, blowing out of South Sudan. What the the extraction was sort of like if you can call or X film maybe is a better.
Speaker 2: Term, Okay, So for us or for when the.
Speaker 1: Americans, Uh, for you guys, when you when you left with the ambassador, Okay, So.
Speaker 3: For us when we left with the ambassador, at this point, everything is already gone. All the people are gone, but their all their belongings are still there. Everything is still there, like their rooms still full, close, everything's there. We didn't take any of that. So for us it was like we had to wait for our bird. So we were in the Americans living quarters, give or take, and it's basically a big compound which we couldn't secure because we don't have a platoon of marines. So we have twelve dudes, so we basically have guys on every corner of the of the compound that we that's all we really can do. And then uh so we were just sitting there. We have our gun truck station. We have one in the center and the rest are in the corner, so we could actually do overlapping fire and we just had rotations going on that for the two weeks. And then when it was time to blow out, we waited for the aircraft to land, and then our CCT had overhead just circling and doing show of forces to make sure like.
Speaker 2: Hey, nothing bothers us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he was doing a lot of show of force and then he did a show of force like when we all prepped and got in all the vehicles, all the up armors and up arbor hum v's and up arbor SUVs to leave, Like we had up armored SUVs as well. So when we got that and all the planes had landed because they were escorted in, he did a show of force. And after the show of force, we immediately took off and just started going down the road and it was like a straight shot, go out, make one left, and you were straight shot to.
Speaker 1: The airport and the bird was there waiting for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bird was there waiting for us. Everything was there, and we just drove straight on.
Speaker 1: Wow, and flew back to Germany. Yep, No, that's awesome. Well you got to do the job. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. You didn't get to shoot no rounds, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. I mean, who knows what would have happened to that ambassador though if you weren't.
Speaker 3: There, that's true, that's true. Hope, maybe they would have left. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you get back to the mothership and the next thing that happens is Nigeria.
Speaker 2: Yes, so Nigeria.
Speaker 3: So I get tagged to go be the guy to go do the Nigerian mission, which you just basically go to the embassy and every year guys go to embassies and we do security protocols and making sure the security is up today, making sure or everything is still where everyone's saying, everything is right, so if we ever have to go in there, we know where the doors are, what doors or what, who's going where.
Speaker 2: How many rooms are in there, everything. So I get hit with that.
Speaker 3: I fly to Nigeria by myself, which I was like, oh that's different. So I have to go to Berlin for two weeks. So I go to Berlin and I only got I was there. I was supposed to be there for two days. And I get there and the embassy there in Berlin is closed, so I can't get my passport stamp.
Speaker 2: To go to Nigeria.
Speaker 3: So I got to hang out in Berlin for two weeks, which was awesome, right right, because I don't get to see nothing, but we only can go an hour away. So this got me out of the base, right, So I got to see Berlin for two weeks, just wander around Berlin. Finally get my passport stamp, get back. The next week, I get on a plane to.
Speaker 2: Go to Nigeria.
Speaker 3: I land and when I land in Nigeria, there's a white guy there with my with the things that Sartinford class Harris, He's got a piece of paper, right. But it was a guy from Third Group that was in my company and Charlie Company that knew me and now worked down at Tampa.
Speaker 2: So when I got there, he was like, hey, are you super Dave?
Speaker 3: And I was like, yeah, I'm super Dave because that's what the team start and called me on that other team right, because we did a lot.
Speaker 2: Of trips and a lot of deployments together.
Speaker 3: So he I won't say I did nothing crazy, but he knew about he knew me, so he was like, hey you super Dave.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm super Dave. Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 3: And they was like hey, so and so said what's up. Gray says what's up? And I was like, oh, Gray said what's up? Oh yeah, he does work in Tampa. So we get in the vehicle and we drive to the hotel, the Hilton, which the Hilton was baller, but it was totally different than what you see here.
Speaker 2: It's like you're walking through it's like going in the airport. Oh, go to the Hilton. Yeah, like when you're going into the Hilton, it's like going through.
Speaker 1: The airport, all the metal detectors and TSA kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything is just like that.
Speaker 3: So you go in there, you get to the Hilton, they're like, hey, we'll be here tomorrow to pick you up.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: So what I didn't know was how it actually worked was so they have a team from Tampa there right.
Speaker 2: Then they had a guy from the Navy, like a Navy guy.
Speaker 3: Then they had a CCT there, and then they have a and then they have a Marsac guy there and all of us working together on this packet. Yeah, and then they had four civilians who are actually the guys. Like you come in and you'd be like, hey, man here because they know like we're just I'm like, yeah, here's the paper, this is the way the camera looks.
Speaker 2: And then he gets on the computer and.
Speaker 3: Does his whiz bang stuff and so that way it's all the diagrams in there. And then they'd be like, so I got put in charge of routes, cameras and cameras at the embassy and uh door breaching, like how to get through each door, And that's what I did for almost a week and a half, just going around being like okay, going to different embassies, meeting with the ambassadors and all that stuff, and just going in and going to every door. And then spun around and was like all right. And then I don't know, one day that the Marine.
Speaker 2: Guys there heard about.
Speaker 3: What I did and they were like, hey, can you teach a CQB. So we stayed and I started teaching CQB to the Marines all site.
Speaker 1: And so it's interesting because you're a criff guy, so it makes a lot of sense they sent you sort of as a recon dude to do in case they ever had to go in and evacuate that embassy. You know, your team knows where everything is and exactly how that building is constructed.
Speaker 3: And that's why you have the computer imagery and so that way, all that stuff gets put into computer database and if anyone else has to do it, guess what they can pull up.
Speaker 1: Oh you mean like three D imagery and stuff. Yeah, Oh that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So and then I take it the CCT guy had the airpiece, and the Marsaka guy had like the ports and the Amphibian.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, yep.
Speaker 3: Everyone had all their own pieces, and we're just like, okay, hey, we're going to do routes today. And me and the Marcide guy would get in the vehicle and I'd be like all right, and I sit in the passenger seat and I'd be like, all right, turk over right here, and I'd be like telling them and I'd be like, all right, here's this. This is the quickest way to the airport that goes into the computer. You know.
Speaker 1: We we have been doing some operations in Nigeria over the last year or so, I mean, well a few years now. What was sort of like your impression of Nigeria and what it would be like trying to work there.
Speaker 2: It was where we were by the embassies and all that stuff. It was urban.
Speaker 3: It was an urban environment. It was like it was like any built up major city. I would tell you that it was closer to uh I was.
Speaker 2: In New York. It was closer to New York Ish than it is to like Charlotte.
Speaker 3: And what I mean is the buildings are really close, like it's not really like distance.
Speaker 2: I didn't really go into neighborhoods.
Speaker 3: I only was really down in the downtown's areas like where the Hilton was, where the Embassy was, where the American.
Speaker 2: Stayed those areas, So it was really more like that.
Speaker 3: And then the highway wise, unless you know the route you want to go or have maps and GPS's and stuff, everything was written. I mean, you ain't reading signs, so you better know where you want to go.
Speaker 1: And then after you after that, you headed back to Germany again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then I went back to Germany and then we did our last week and a half and then I came.
Speaker 2: Back to Bragg.
Speaker 1: And was that kind of like winding down your time at the criff?
Speaker 2: That was probably I was at that point.
Speaker 3: I was at three in my cell and I was there and then I had I did about I think I did two and a half more years there. I made it to UH. I was a one in my sales. I was a cell leader. Cool for about two and a half years. I was a cell leader, and then I volunteered to go to Southawic.
Speaker 1: What was like kind of the last the subsequent like two and a half years, like.
Speaker 2: A lot of training getting ready to go back to Germany.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, oh to rotate back over.
Speaker 3: I got you yeah, because there was three troops because they broke us down into two O das making a troop. So it was like you do four, you do four, you do four, you do four, you do four, you do four.
Speaker 1: So that they also have you training for the counter WMD mission.
Speaker 2: Yes, we did that as well. Yeah, that we did that.
Speaker 3: We went up to Virginia Beach and used six's compounds up there to do a lot of that training.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's cool, man. And so you've reached the kind of end of your time at the and uh and then you go to Cephallic. So again we should tell the tell the listeners who don't know the Special Forces Advanced Urban Combat Course, Yes, sir so, and Cephalic is different than Sephardic, and that Cephaic is training the odas, not the CRIFF, but the odas on urban warfare CQB stuff. And that's an important course too because the odas go through intact as a twelve man team, not like onesies and twosies. But I mean, let's hear, you're the expert, Dave. If you tell.
Speaker 3: Us, well, you exactly, you're one hundred percent right. The difference between Cephatic Sephalic and Sephardic is Cephalic teaches.
Speaker 2: Basic po D CQB.
Speaker 3: At least when I was there was basic PODCQB. Safardic teach free flow CQB with an emphasis on hostage rescue. Sefaic does not. We do not get into the hostage rescue portion. Does that mean they won't never do it? No, that doesn't mean that it's we don't get into teaching it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's the odas don't have that mission. I mean things would have gone really wrong if they're doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I'm not saying it can never happen. I'm just saying that wasn't our mission to like prep them for. So I got there as a Faulic and you do it's really hammering CQB and basics like basic pod, point of domination CQB. How do you do that and the safest way to do it? And I did that for I got to teach there for three and a half years.
Speaker 1: That's cool. So it's just like company after company coming through your course.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so it would be a company.
Speaker 3: It was like I saw probably every company, like because it's mandated that every team goes once a year. Well at least when I was there was once a year, so they had to go every I think it was once every two years because we couldn't see everyone, so it's once every two years. So literally it's like we did a six week course, take two two weeks off, another six week course, take a week, take two weeks off another six week course two and.
Speaker 2: That's just the rotation.
Speaker 1: Six weeks is a lot too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it was when I was there, we were teaching six week course.
Speaker 3: It was two weeks for CMM MESS combat combat Marksmanship, two weeks of CMO MESS.
Speaker 2: Then we followed that with four weeks of.
Speaker 1: CQ BIG and then there's like a some kind of collex at the end, right.
Speaker 2: Yep, So it was a collex.
Speaker 3: So we would do uh so you do two weeks a CMO MESS and we at the end of those two weeks it was vote. In that same two weeks, you would do a it's called a stress shoot, and if you didn't pass the stress shoot, some guys wanted to kick dudes out, some guys we disagreed.
Speaker 2: It basically got voted.
Speaker 3: If you don't pass the stress shoot, you get have to shoot sims and you couldn't shoot live bullets in the house. Yeah, because you're still with your team. You're not getting fired from your team, so we can't not do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we said, hey, you're not shooting live bullets in the house, you'll shoot sims.
Speaker 2: So we made them shoot sims and that was it. We just let them and that with.
Speaker 3: The training continued and then after the week one, we did a uh it was called an eval on CQB, but make sure you understood basic CQB with a three room set before we started moving into breaching and shooting shotguns and explosive breaching and things.
Speaker 2: Of that such.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. So you it sounds like you like doing that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I loved it. I still love it. Uh.
Speaker 3: I was the primary instructor for the CQB for two years, and then I became the primary instructor for Combat Markesmanship for a year, and then after that I did my last six months and then I got out.
Speaker 1: You want to tell us about that like last six months, what it was like, you know, leading up to your retirement and kind of how that felt after a pretty long army career.
Speaker 2: So for me, it was strange, as in I.
Speaker 3: Knew what I wanted to do the whole time I was as a PHAWIC, I knew I wanted to get out and train people.
Speaker 2: I knew I wanted to continue that, so I.
Speaker 3: Was like, okay, So I kind of started prepping it while I was in Like I would teach on a Friday and drive and do a class some other state on a Saturday and drive through the night on Sunday night to get back for SEFAWIC Monday morning.
Speaker 2: And I was doing that on my own and.
Speaker 3: My last six months, I'll be honest, when I signed out on terminal leave, and I've already been working with Vortex Optics.
Speaker 2: So the day I signed out on terminal leave, Vortex called me and was like, are you ready to go?
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And lets get let's do it.
Speaker 1: And what is I mean obviously they make optics, but can you talk a little bit about like the products that Vortex makes, they.
Speaker 2: Make up they are I call them the Walmart of optics.
Speaker 3: And I mean by that is, if you have a budget, like hey, I have a two hundred dollars budget, it's an optic we have for that. If you are like, hey, I want to buy three thousand dollars, like top of the line.
Speaker 2: We have optics for that.
Speaker 3: So they are the number one optic company, the biggest opting company in.
Speaker 2: The world right now.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: And they sell a lot of optics and they also have a golf line. I don't know where that came.
Speaker 1: And so does that that's I mean, first off, that's great that you had a post retirement job lined up right away. And what has that been like you were saying that they have you traveling all over the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, Mike, Mike, I'm a contractor for Vourtex. But how it's played from them to me is my company runs their training. So I had to make my own LLC and started my own company and I run their training through them. So cops hit me up. I handle all scheduling, all the planning, everything, and we go around this country teaching cops free of charge.
Speaker 1: And is it teaching them how to use those vour Tech products? No, Oh, it's anything really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we go to any agency and teach them. Hey, you got red dots and you need a ripe pistol Red Dot Transition Corps. We don't care what dot you have. We want you to get training Okay, that's pretty cool. Yeah, Vortex wants you to go home at the end of the shift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well that's super cool. And you're still doing that today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I started when I got out, and we've been going and we are now booking in the February of twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Eight yep.
Speaker 1: What else do you got going on over there? And you're still in the Fort Bragg area?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir?
Speaker 1: What else is keeping Dave Harris busy nowadays?
Speaker 2: So when I'm not doing that, I am.
Speaker 3: When I'm not training cops, I go to shoot competitions on my own free time, or I train like dry fire and stuff. And then in the meantime, I've been married for twenty one years. My daughter's twenty. I've been married going on twenty two years December third. My daughter's twenty one, my son is seventeen. So every once in a while I have to act like I love them and do stuff with them. For the most part, if I'm not doing something with my family, I'm training.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I got you.
Speaker 1: So you're shooting IPsec or long ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, USPSA ipsick three two gun.
Speaker 3: I left to stop shooting three gun just because I was like, I don't see the purpose of the shotgun for what I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Anything else that you want to talk about that I didn't ask?
Speaker 2: No, I I mean, I hope is there anything you that I didn't talk about?
Speaker 1: No, No, I think we covered a lot of grounds, man, And I really appreciate you sharing your story with us.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you having me man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And shout out to Jay for putting us in touch.
Speaker 2: Yes, Jay, Yeah, he's a great guy, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, Jay's awesome. So yeah, Dave, Where can people find you if they want to, you know, inquire about training. Are you on like LinkedIn? Is there a website or anything that we should check out?
Speaker 2: Yes, you can go to harrw Strategicsolutions dot com. You can go there.
Speaker 3: You can hit me up on Harry Strategic Solutions on Instagram, right, you can hit me there directly.
Speaker 2: Both of those go directly to my email.
Speaker 3: You also can go to IWI dot us and they have a tab on their IWIS Vortex Optics Collab and you can go there and it tells you a breakdown of every class we teach, everything we do, and at the bottom it's a request form and the request form goes directly to my phone.
Speaker 2: As soon as I get the email, I'll hit you back.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, man. Well, we'll have some links down the description for people that are watching this or listening. But Dave, I really appreciate your time spending some you know, some of your Wednesday night with us.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you having me man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for doing it and everyone else out there. We'll see you guys next time. Thanks for joining us. Hey, guys, I want to take a moment to tell you about the Teamhouse Podcast Newsletter. If you go and subscribe, it's totally free, and what it will do is aggregate all of our data, all of our content that we put out, the things that are on the Teamhouse on our Geopolitics podcast, Eyes On, things that I write journalistically with Sean Naylor on the high Side, anything else that we have going on books, we recommend upcoming guests that we have coming on the show, and also you know, filtering in some fun stuff in there as well. If you'll go and check it out, we send it out just once a week. We don't want to spam you guys. It's just a kind of roll up of all of our content on a weekly basis. You can find our newsletter at teamhouse podcast dot kit dot com slash join again. The website for that is teamhouse podcast, dot kit dot com slash join So we hope to see you there. The link will be down the description