Speaker 1: Here we go, Here we go. First eleven episode, the first of the season. That's right, coming off Saturday, the two two Drawl with Toronto ABC Dave Johnson.
Speaker 2: Along with Brucemurry. Welcoming you the first eleven.
Speaker 1: Yes, we'll take you through DC and noted in eleven minutes or less. And when you start now, Bruce Murray, the two to result not what d c U I had wanted. And make no mistake, this team doesn't want to just get results meaning ties, they want wins. Having said that, it's the first game of the season, So first of all, just your overall assessment of this team with new faces, players making their debuts, your thoughts on how they perform.
Speaker 3: You can definitely tell that there is a change in philosophy and how they want to play the game. You know, Christian Bentechie, you know, said in the press conference, you know, you know we're not going to just you know, throw it up to me and you know we're going to play our way through through the midfield. And you could see that. And you know, again going all the way you know back, you know, trying to diagnose all this stuff, you just see that our fullbacks really changed the whole way that the game is being played. And we have two of the best.
Speaker 2: And that's David sneg and Erin Herrera.
Speaker 1: Look, David Sneg even made a run and got his shot off at the top of the box. So unpredictable very much is a theme right down to the fact that Boris he now scored the first goal.
Speaker 2: He was not afraid to get it in goal.
Speaker 4: Now a turnover, I'm getting four e Now Eat gets a shot off. It's Endnat, It's end that these it is christ in the twenty twenty five season at Boris now with the goal and these hed on it with the lead.
Speaker 5: What nothing and what a great goal by Boris e.
Speaker 6: Now all he had to do was pass it to Parti, but that was the obvious choice and so he held it and he held it and the defender went to Parti and he had an open shot on goal. Fantastic, brilliant play by Boris Now, so great.
Speaker 4: To say, it's Ende and Boris he now, Hey, welcome to the DC and Ied Goal Scorers Club.
Speaker 2: His first goal in a black and red.
Speaker 7: Uniform and the chance of DC and Ied coming from the Chico stand seven fifty two o o'clock. We're watching and we talked about DC and iited wanting to be unpredictable. I think that qualifies as unpredictable.
Speaker 3: Brilliant goal because if you watch it very carefully, those of had apple was Enow looked off the defender twice and all he had to do was give it to Pirani on the left or Bentechi on the right. But what he did was forced the defender to actually go and take Pirani and right away it just opened everything up and Enow just slotted it home. It really shows intelligence in the soccer IQ of E. Now we didn't see enough of him last year, but man, I'll tell you what that goal just jumped out.
Speaker 2: At me again.
Speaker 1: D C and I'm dealing with some injury show Peglo. George Stroud did not play on Saturday against Toronto. It's hopeful see them soon on the field. Having said that, Jacob Murle, this is what you want to see from a second year player. I know Ben Techy scored the goal, but do you really believe Merle made that goal?
Speaker 3: Also, the versatility, obviously Stroud being injured, Merle just slotted right into that and it tells you a lot. You know that the staff and the front office and the way they look at Jacob Murle and they can trust him now in that position. The goal itself was absolute brilliance.
Speaker 5: I mean Toronto winning possession back.
Speaker 7: They're having the better spell right now that they're taking carbono and they're throwing them over to the right side, so you've got two wingers on the other side of the field right now, and then they're allowing their fullbacks to come up as well, so they're very unpredictable.
Speaker 5: If United can win the ball in possession, they'd be off on a break barley just outside his box. Daggle the ball up to the right flak Merle.
Speaker 2: Can he get to it?
Speaker 4: He kend Merle right of the box now near the end line. Merle gets a cross up at Tucky the Hanery, sending that a centing.
Speaker 2: That golden winter. We'll coup to twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: When your goal to head Christian Benteka has made it two to one these Dave.
Speaker 6: There has to be a ton of credit to Jacob Murle to get to that ball and then to just lay it up there where Christian Beneke can attack it.
Speaker 5: So many times players try and pick things out. He didn't do that. He put it up there and said, Christian, go get it.
Speaker 3: Merle made the run, the ball found him, he kept it in. But what he did that was really kind of brilliant was he got his head down, ran at the defender, but then stopped and kind of faked that he was making a move, looked up, put his head back down, and then chipped it to the back post. And I think, uh, you know, without having talked to Christian about this, uh, he just is telling these guys, go ahead and put it up there, man, and I'm gonna go get it. Because way too many times you find wingers are fullbacks trying to pick out a specific target in the box. You don't have to do that with ben Tekey. He's he's so good in the air, you just have to put it somewhere near him.
Speaker 1: Now, you think about debuts on Saturday, and we'll start from back to front.
Speaker 2: Kim Jun Hang in goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit shaky at the start, but when we think about it, some of his saves, certainly in that second half, allowed DC United to get out of there with a point Dave.
Speaker 3: There was four or five saves where you know, point blank header's diving header that he just smothered the Chicos stand is in love with Kim. He is an absolute you know, going all the way to the bowing of respect when he comes out, you know, to warm up. He is a class act. You can tell that this is a real big deal for him coming over here to America. It's just so good to see it.
Speaker 1: Really is Ky Roles again. You were so excited to see him. You got to see him Saturday.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts, Yeah, I mean he's everything I thought he was. In fact, he's better on the ball than I thought he was. He's really good at diagnosing plays and putting himself in the right position. But on the ball, he has the kind of skill set of a center midfielder where you know he's willing to break lines with the dribble, take a little bit of risk, and you know, the combination the two center backs and of course the fullbacks.
Speaker 5: You know, the goals were the problem last year.
Speaker 3: I just don't see that that's going to be a problem going forward. We gave up two goals the other day, but to be fair, I feel that the penalty was a was a poor call.
Speaker 2: So and again the first goal.
Speaker 1: Not to take anything away, but again an unsettled situation and certainly correctable and also making his debut.
Speaker 3: Jose Kajima very very tough to get off the ball. He's incredibly quick. He reminds me of a teammate of mine, I know, going way back here, but tab Ramos, you know, us soccer legend, was one of these guys that had the speed over two to three meters and that's what Kajima is. He absolutely so quick. Lateral quickness is amazing, but also he's really strong on the ball.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, we appreciate you connecting with us for First eleven. We'll update you later in the week on First eleven from training for DC and ho do they get set to take.
Speaker 2: On the Chicago Fire.
Speaker 1: Of course, we'll have that for you on iHeartRadio Iheartsports DC.
Speaker 2: The irt app.
Speaker 1: It's free, so easy to download. Maybe you're listening to this on your phone, download it on your phone for Bruce moriy I'm Dave Johnson. Thanks for spending time with First eleven.