Speaker 1: The prime Minister in waiting turned up at Magic. Will his reign be a success or will it be tragic? Tragic is a term that Giants could use as York destined them to once again lose. Leeds and Lee clocked up a big score, Wigan and Saints had a close one once more. Welcome to the twenty seventh episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league. My name is Lee Addison and my good friend is John Davidson. If you want to know who we are, reader description or something. Thanks to Rugby League dot Com for carrying this weekly and you can also watch it on the Rugby League Coach YouTube channel eventually. And we're still on the Ashes Rugby League podcast platform. We've kept that going, Johnny. We did it for the Ashes. I don't know whether there'll be in other Ashes after what happened last year. I'm sure. I'm sure we'll do something for the World Cup. Let's get straight into the game from last round. John York versus Huddersfield kicked things off. We'll talk about the whole fact it's magic and what not in a little while, but Huddersfield thirty four York sorry twenty four York thirty six tries for Hudersfield, Patol Old, Dunford, Russell, Flanagan and Flanagan kicked four goals. York thirty six came two from Benison, two from Hunter and not for a Luma got one, so did Williams and Bamford bam fourth and Hunter kicked a goal and Benison kicked three. I think the news here is how Huddersfield have lost to another side that they would have fanted a chance, the chances are winning it against I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was an interesting game that York started really well. I thought they were quite dominant, created a lot, but then you know, Huddersfield sort of came back into it. It was quite close and then sort of second half New York just blew Huddersfield off the park and then you Huddersfield scored. I think it was two very late tries to kind of make the score line a bit more respectable. But yeah, Huddersfield were over the eighty minutes very poor. I mean, this is this was a wooden spoon clash. The wins put York six points now above Huddersfield. Huddersfield have won two games all season, and I did have to laugh. So obviously you're in We're at Magic Weekend, We're at the Hill Dickinson Stadium, and you get those stadium announcers and people and the interview fans and all this before the first game and the announcer gets this Huddersfield fan and he says, you know, do you think this? You know, the performance today could kickstart your season? And I'm thinking it's July, the season February, like the season's long gone. But the the thing is, this is how Haddersfield's tenth loss in a row, and after last week where they were very unlucky to lose Wakefield and they showed a lot, they've definitely regressed this week and it is it's pretty worrying for hardest. I just don't just don't see where they go from here.
Speaker 1: What does this mean showed Huddersfield finished rock bottom of the ladder. What does it mean for their future?
Speaker 2: Well that's a very difficult question to answer because there's been a lot of conjection. From what we understand. I don't think there will be fifteen teams in Super League. I think there'll be fourteen and it will be iron g criteria that determines if anyone goes up or down. Now I don't know exactly how they're going to fare, but by finishing bottom at Super League and by not winning any more games, and also with their crowds getting even worse, you would think that's going to harm them. The thing for me is that Huddesfield have been in Super League for what about thirty years? Maybe long?
Speaker 1: Well, super League has all been going for thirty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, okay, so they've been in the top. Fight for it is they had that period a long, long time ago relegation when Tony Smith was there. He got them back in.
Speaker 1: I'd be tempted to say about twenty five years. Yes, yes, sorry, my brain is a bit frazzled from the weekend. But and in that period they had a good period in that sort of twenty five years.
Speaker 2: They had a good period of Nathan Brown for a few years. I think they made two Challenge Cup finals. They had a great period under Paul Anderson twenty thirteen finished top in the league and they were the top four team for several years, and then they had one season where they made a Challenge Cup Final. More recently under Watson finished third. But for the last decade, apart from that very brief period in Watson, they've been very, very average, been terrible, and no team can win every week. I understand that, like results are, it's a result business.
Speaker 1: But the thing about.
Speaker 2: Ladasfield is the fans that are going nowhere. The club really has no profile. This dadium issue isn't being sorted so in basically every pretty much area, the club's just in decline. So I think it is time to unleash them on the Championship.
Speaker 1: We do seem to talk about them every week, don't we, And there's a reason for that. It's because they so poor and so many of their metrics are so poor too. Are just for the life of me, John, and they should have learned it. Last year. They put all that money into IMG, they put all that money into the little committee that they had to decide who the other super League entrant would be, and the three teams that got up were the three that finished one, two and three in the lower tier competition. Now, I'm pretty convinced in a sporting contest, in a sporting realm, we should leave it to the sports people to sort out who goes up and who goes down.
Speaker 2: Well, there's strong there's strong speculation that harder Field are going to buy a Dewsbury Rams, not only play their games at Dewsbury, but maybe even buy the Rams as a sort of a feeder club, much like York and Newcastle. I don't see how harders Field playing the games at Dewsbury is a long term solution and how that's going to help them.
Speaker 1: What kind of state is Crown Flat in these days? The flair stadium I have is it full of flair? Is it full of flair?
Speaker 2: There wasn't a flair or actual fans that when they played to loose there a couple of weeks ago. But I just I don't see how that's going to be the solution that you helped them. I just, yeah, I think it's time to bring in London and drop Paddersfield down. I think maybe, you know, I think there's there's a big problems the leadership of that club yet and you have to look at the recruitment, you know, signing Tom Burgess on big money. I mean no offense to Tom Burgess. He's had a fantastic career, but what's he produced in the two years whatever he's been there. They get their recruitment wrong so many so often, and I think the leadership of the club is really needs to change that, you know, the people in charge, they have been doing it for decades and it's clearly not working.
Speaker 1: Again, we didn't use the word unleashed today KR twenty six Hale f C twelve in the Yorkshire RB Lewis, Martin and Whitbread scored the meat pies for whole KR. Martin kicked five goals, so good day for him. The whole FC Arthur and Briscoe scored the tries they could kick two goals. Apparently the Gi Whitbread try was quite controversial for the defending champions. Why was it controversially, I don't know. I didn't watch it.
Speaker 2: I think I think maybe the referring to the kind of contact with Martin lost the ball. But this wasn't a brilliant game, but it was. It was kind of quite tight. It was closely fought. That that that bit of play there where Martin dropped the ball on his own line and where Brad squad was kind of the turning point really. But I would refer to any last comments after the game, he came into the presser and kind of immediately was was having a go with the referees. You know. A week after he did similar after the Wigan game. And I think you know LFC or also another club for far too long. They had a decencieson last year, but for had too long in recent memory they've been poor, and they've been poor this year. You know, they've shared a bit more character in the last few weeks, but just clearly not good enough week to week. And okay, I weren't at their best, but they're a much better side than all I've saying I've been for for at least three years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you want to know why I didn't watch the whole derby, because obviously I was rushing home to watch it from my commitments in the rugby league.
Speaker 2: I was going to say it was probably about midnight or one I am your time, and.
Speaker 1: It was midnight and that and that normally isn't a bad time for me to watch something, quite frankly, particularly on a Saturday night, and particularly if I've got something dark and red in a bottle in my hand or something like that. But on my way home from Oki, which is one of the clubs that I do some work ap former former base of Alan Kilshaw, current Oldham coach. My tire blue and it blew quite significantly, so much soul that we were driving on the rim so to speak, and we were in the middle of a motorway so we were stuck. So that was a bit of an ordeal. So when I got home, the last thing I wanted to do was watch sport. I've just wanted to forget about Saturday and start Sunday as soon as I could.
Speaker 2: Well, I was. I was down to cover the first game I was in New York and the third game Lane Warranton and then obviously the kind of the thing at Megic weekend. You're dipping in and out of the press box to go down and do press conferences and then mixed so you can't really see every bit of action. It's a bit of a crazy sort of day. But yeah, I think I think the other messages that I think out of one eight derbies in a row, they haven't lost the Derby since twenty three So if you say that you know, as your big rivals, that's that's a concern. Yeah, he's got a big job on his hands. Next year. Let's let's just put it that way.
Speaker 1: Really, have they confirmed McNamara, Yes, it really is a big thing when two derby teams have such a significant record like that. I mean, you'll know, being in yourself Welshman, how tough it would have been when Queensland were winning all those still shields. Now, I guess the difference is you probably didn't have people in the same classroom if you were a kid who supported the team on the other side of the town, but it was still still felt it. I mean I always remember I was working at Saint Gregory's and some teacher just said when the year twelves were about to graduate one year, he said, you know, these kids have gone through high school and New South Wales haven't won series and and those things start to become quite quite significant. And I have sympathy with all f C fans because I was I am a Man City fan, but I've been a Man City fan since the womb And I used to say to me Dad, why did you why did you not let me support United? Dad City a ship he said on the other phone, yeah and so so and he me old man used to say the City will be the best team in the world one day, and that was before there was even a World Cup Championship, so nostra dam was there. But also he used to say, and he's right, that things go in cycles and in life and realities change all the time. I mean, there was there was a time there where nobody thought anybody would win the league apart from Wigan, and then thirty years on there's still most of the leagues, or more or less most of the leeks happened. So Lee twenty four Warrington six. That's quite a big victory in context and in score line too. New Armstrong, Pape and Hanley kicked, scored the tries and Cook cooked up four goals. Warrington six came from Sneed and Irwin. And how much does this dent Warrington's title hopes. I don't know when in the playoffs if it does, particularly Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I think the GAT now has four points of the leads to the top, so in terms of them winning the League Lady's Shield, it's definitely a blow Warrington because they lost a few players after the Canaan's game. And I'm missing, off the top of my head, Kite Ray George Williams Luke Yates simply a few others sort of died across the team, so they were down on troops. But Lee were really really good in this game. They came out and they were weren't perfect, but they went far from it and Warrington coughed up an air on their own line early on, a few more other errors and Lee just made them pay. It was. It was very impressive from from the Leopards and I think it was their fifth winner the last six, So they're really knocking on the door now of the top six. You know, it's hard to see them not not getting in there when you consider the form that they're in. And then you know they've got their players back fit now and they've got they've got some real talent there, you know with Lock and Lamb Pape. You know the pack that they've got eyes at lou Oft and go Away, it's very very strong. And then you know they've got Davy Armstrong at the back as well. So yeah, it's it was a very good even for the Leopards. This making a bee line. Well what the Leopards do They're pouncing on the six who's at risk of falling out? I mean, I'm going to look at the Ladder Ladder soon. But yeah, I don't know. I don't know exactly what the lad obviously with the last game. But for me, if you're looking on kind of recent form, I think it's Saint Helen's they're probably the most in danger because you look, Leeds are clear at the top now, Warrington are not far behind them whole k are you know, not far off that same with Wigan and Wakefield are the other team. I don't know how many they've won in a row now well, but they've They've been in great form Wakefield and obviously they were excellent today that absolutely obliterated Castleford. So I can't see, you know, anything denting Wakefield right now. So it is yeah, I think probably the most pressure is on is on and Helln's you know, we'll get to that game in a minute. But they really struggled to score points.
Speaker 1: We have to go across the Channel, which is French for the Channel, to the Journe Magique which is French for magic round. Because to lose played Catalans in the south of France to make a quid is.
Speaker 2: It cast three cast? I can spell it, don't I can say it. But in France.
Speaker 1: Catalan's eighteen d sweet to lose sixty, I've forgot how to say sixty in French. Catalans tries came from Leaming La Guare Sexton and three goals from Sexton added to their score to lose. Their sixty were from two tries from Paul Sally, two from Hands, two from just Say, one from Come, two from Ashley Bolt, one from Alburg and ten goals from Shorecks. Ten tries to lose racked up there dece tries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to admit I have seen zero of this game. I think it was on nine o'clock UK times for me, four games in the one day, obviously not at the same venue. But it wasn't the best scheduling. I mean I was sort of finishing up at the stadium and then going out for a meal, but I did and then for a beer, and then I did see the score so much and I was shocked. I mean, look to Louse have been near the bottom of the table for most of the year, but to score sixty, I mean, to concede sixty, you have to kind of wonder how bad the Dragons were. Like, I'm not I'm not accusing them of match fixing, but you would be punning Stewards. What's what's going on there? But by oh okay, I speaking to some people today who watched the game. Apparently Catlin's were leading in the first half and you know they're right, and then they just completely shut down. Whether it was you know, fatigue, the heat, whatever, but they just threw in the tower and then apparently to loose for electric. Everything they did came off all the past the start electric. Yeah, but very bizarre, bizarre scoreline. If you ask me, I'm probably not in the keeping of what we've already seen from both teams this season.
Speaker 1: To answer the question that is on everyone's mind right now, French for sixty is Swassle Wakefield forty eight, Castleford six as another big score too, tries from Scott to try from Johnston two from handling Ula warms have got one. You know you're in trouble. Oh no, is it?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Alex walms with that, No.
Speaker 2: It's a lot on was Warmsley from.
Speaker 1: Alex Wallams who play is Smoothie scored rock scored and six goals from Castleford from Simperfield. You're you're knackered because late at night I'm knackered because it's early in the morning. Castleford six came from Gary Gary and a goal from Weaver. Nine tries Wakefield have scored there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, were electric. They bullied Cass. I mean casts were very very average. I mean Ryan Carr and the post Crest conference said some of his players gave up, which I think is a pretty damning indictment of how his team played. But Wakefield we were electric. The way they went, particularly left the right edges and you know they're finishing out, scored some really really good tries. Yeah. The Cass he just you know, they only lost. There was a hard fought loss against you at last week, you know, but you know the didn't play badly, but they were just never in it today at all. So you just really want it. You know, one week they're beating Wigan, they're burnings and Helens, and then you know, the next week they're copying forty six points. It's yeah, it's really hard to have, you know what.
Speaker 1: You know, the big difference in my experience from coaching of players that go on to the highest highest levels versus those that go on to high levels but don't necessarily really play origin or tests or whatever. It may be the big difference is the ability two be to do what you have to do week in week out, and and not only that, get better at it. So I mean there'll be a thousand examples in the UK. I mean Jack Wellsby is one that sticks out some. But using Reese Walsh as an example in the NRL, I think it's very hard for me, as somebody who's been involved in so much performance coaching, to say about Reese Walsh that he's a top, top top class player. He's a top class talent, but he seems to have difficulty and people keep saying, oh, he's young and he's been a first grader now for about five six years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not that young.
Speaker 1: He his rocks or diamonds. And if you look at that team, the Broncos, I mean, I don't want to talk about the NRL necessarily yet in simple three six team we do that a bit later, but they are they've gone from Grand Final winners to second from bottom in the ladder at the moment, and this isn't their first time doing this. Twenty twenty three they got within cooie of winning the Grand Final and then the year after did enough to get the coach punted. So the whole culture of that club and a lot of the people around Reese Walsh are also dictating their standards a little bit too. Now, what's clear is that they're not meeting those marks all the time, and there's a minimum and your maximum is up to you as a player or up to you as a professional. So I would imagine that's just what a team like Castleford are are battling with at the moment. I mean, Huddersfield haven't got the ability to get the minimums in at the moment. But when Castleford are getting those wins and doing the good things or put it in the good performances that we've noted so much on this podcast, I think that's because they've got a coach that's they're trying to drive standards. Yes, definitely, but sometimes players will not quite understand what those standards are even though they're doing their best to achieve them, and it just it just happens to be the problem for many teams at the bottom end of ladders in so many divisions in the game, quite frankly, and there'll be no doubt paying overs for some players too, you know, just because why would you go to Castleford when they're down the bottom end of the ladder kind of thing, so they have to pay overs to get players. So but I think overall Car's doing a good job and he'll be getting used to this bipolear nature of his team.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, I think, I think a lot of the squad was already assembled before he took over at Cass And obviously they've brought Sam players in mid season, signed Diaman Cook and it looks like they're going to sign Torre Sloan both from the Dragons, players that Car coached at the Dragons last year.
Speaker 1: Tyre Slold's Rocks Diamonds.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you were thinking super perhaps where the intensity week in week out is not as high he could excel. But I think they're at least players that can't knows and trust so had more of his Yeah, you know, he's kind of squad I think next year, But I think I think you're right. I think they've got to stick with him and see what you can do. But yeah, I think if you're you're a Cast fan, you were pre dejected today watching your team.
Speaker 1: B I think I think as well aside, like Castleford and Huddersfield. You get you get out of that malaise by signing some players who you know what you're going to get out of them week in week out, and they add some staunch into your midfield. You have maybe one of your centers, particularly your right center as strong defensively, because quite often teams put their best strike center on the left and most of the world right handed as well, so things happen a bit more emphatically on that side of the field. And so yeah, it'd be interesting to see how that project unfolds. But I think they're going in the right direction overall. Talking of a team that's going in the right direction. Leeds clocked up the half century fifty. Yeah, and Bradford only scored sixteen tries from Croft, Hankinson, O'Connor. I can't believe Terry O'Connor scored a try McDonald, Handley got three and Connor scored a try in sivol. He's dropping off, he's dropping off. He only got one and Connor kicked seven goals Bradford. Sixteen came from Akins, two from Ryan and two from Hooley. Nine tries for Leeds eleven wins from twelve they're at the top of Super League again. From a coaching point of view, they will be concerned though about conceding that sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think when its match that was made, coming into it, I think personally I was thinking, you know, they're going to beat Breadford by at least twenty. You know, when you look at the prospective forms, the way leads are playing at the moment, they just seemed they're really expensive with the ball and they seem a very tight group, like you know, they seem there's a lot of trust. You know, they'll they'll throw left the right, they'll make runs, they'll up on the inside, but everyone's willing to work for each other and a lot of stuff is kind of coming off and they're just you know, they've got a huge amount of momentum and confidence because they're winning every week. I think, you know, the big test obviously they lost to Wigan a little while ago, and I think that's the big test for them. But everyone else pretty much, they've you know, they've they've punted and yeah, they took care of Bradford pretty easily today. Bradford, you know, first year in Super League, they've got quite a few injuries, but just you know, on paper they don't really have the troops to match leads and they did. You know, the second half they they shared a bit of fight, scored a few tries, but it was always going to be a Leeds victory. But I think apart from the endgame, the worrying thing is how lopsided virtually every game at well bar two, every game at Magic.
Speaker 1: Was don't worry, I've got that in the agenda. Wigan sixteen Saint Helen's fourteen. Before you start getting grumpy Davidson, that was a great game and it's been described as a chaotic, stormy and thrilling derby.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. It was very brutal, it was very physical. It was like it was like the song out there. There was bodies dropping and both teams really really gave it everything in terms of physicality, in terms of putting their bodies on the line. Wigging with the St Alan's with quite a few injuries, but Wiggan with some big misses through the week in Thompson and French and Farrell well. But for me, I think Saint Ellens just wells We've got two yellow cards. They just seem to be their own worst enemy at times, like they did a lot of good things and you know, they showed a lot of group, but just with the ball, they just they don't offer enough. I know we've said this earlier in the in the season, and I think that is their real problem. You know, I don't think they ask enough questions in.
Speaker 1: Attack fantastically defensively either.
Speaker 2: No, but I think you can't fold their effort. And I think you know, they were in this game up until you know, full time and it was a very full blooded affair. But yeah, the identity derby, as as I coined, it goes to Wigan again and you know they obviously avenge they're good Friday loss and you know they dominated Saint Ellen's in the Cup and it's finals, so yeah, big big win for a big results for for the Warriors.
Speaker 1: But also Saint Helens can get plenty from that too. I mean they did get dominated in the cup game, but they've gone toe to toe with their nearest rivals while they struggle to find their identity the ladder. I'm going to go from bottom to top this week. Everybody's played seventeen apart from Hull, k R and Warrington and will play their game their extra game sometime in twenty twenty nine issue Huddersfield rock bottom on four points, and then there's four teams on ten in thirteenth at Bradford York Knights are in twelfth to lose her in eleventh on Hull left c are on ten in tenth, Castle that are in ninth on twelve, Catalans are in eighth on sixteen and then the race for the six gets interesting. Lee Leopards are pouncing on the six. As we said, they're in seventh on tw twenty. There they are two behind Saint Helens who were in sixth. They are two behind Hulkingston Rovers who were in fifth but have a game in hand. Wakefield of fourth with twenty four points, Warrington our third with twenty four points, Wigan our second with twenty four points, but Leeds Rhinolds are at the top clear by four points. Jeez, I made that sound exciting and.
Speaker 2: It's quite tight though in that top six and obviously Wiging going second on points difference and at the bottom, I mean you're not had us filled out and that sort of fight not to be second last between what Bradford Y're to loose and Hull I mean, it really just shows how bad hollis being. You know that that they're down there with the three promoted teams and with the hardest field. That's that's pretty shocking, to be fair. But yeah, it's it's tired in certain areas in both the table. But I can't see Catalans. They're in night, aren't they the dragons. I think they've got leads this weekend in perfume and I can't see I mean I said this a few weeks. I can't see Catalans making a run for the eight. I think they're the toasts.
Speaker 1: Personally. I've got about three tweets of the week this week you Rugby League tweets.
Speaker 2: Of a week.
Speaker 1: Cherry and White Pins and we've already spoken about this topic, so we don't need to if you don't want to go into any more depth unless you've got anything else to say. But Cherry and White Pins said, Cuddersfield are better absolutely nothing compared to any other team, absolutely nothing, exclamation mark, stadium fans, squad, commercial value, fan experience, and they soon won't even be in Huddersfield. They don't deserve to be in the league. And then somebody else who you said, I'm a Huddersfield fan, and I completely agree I tweet of the week.
Speaker 2: I will say this, you can get parking at Haddersfield and you usually get a meat pie, which you can't always get a sign. And I'm talking about for the media, so they're doing all right on that. In that recard.
Speaker 1: I'm going to save my other tweet of the week right to the end because it's about the Prime Minister, so well sorry, the Prime Minister in waiting, So I'm going to save that for the end of the news items. But I do have I do have another tweet of the week. You never send me a job these days, so I've decided what your job is. It's your tweet of the week and stroke Johnny's job. Well, Johnny's winge so long, it's over, so long, over, it's not funny because you we tweeted the League Scene who said the NRL has reportedly set down set to clamp down on conflicts of interest for those who hold roles in the game and evolved in the media. It will have impacts on both Nine and Fox, with a stable of hon Air talent possessing other roles as guidelines are set to become even tighter as part of the new broadcast deal. Discourse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think everyone knows, not only the NRL, but Super League. Rugby league is a small sport in the sense that there's often people with multiple jobs and multiple roles and if you're working, you know, I've seen it in Super League. You know, I've seen agents working for broadcasters have interviewed their own players. You see it on Fox Through the Break, and that's there is an agent with several players in the n RL, coaches like Willie Peers or his client, and then he's interviewing those people giving commentary on other clubs. Like it's just huge conflicts of interesting at Gas School, Like I think Gas Gold is a very good media pundit because he's a very smart man when it comes to rugby league, and I think he's quite good at building rosters and pathways. But he shouldn't be you know, getting millions to work for nine but then also rolling bulldogs at the same time. And we saw that with the Lachlan Galvin thing when he was at the Tigers. You know, it's just it's just a bit laughable. I think, you know, it's one or the other.
Speaker 1: You can't think it came in and needed to so in fairness and to sort of explain this phenomenon, Gus was a media person for a long time before he went to the Panthers all the Bulldogs this time around the first time he was already at the rooster he was, but he was long before that. He was a player and a coach, wasn't he. Yeah, I just said to be along at the start of his media journey. He was at the Roosters, but he did did get away from cub Land for a long time. So you know, some of the decision makers at Penris wouldn't have even been conscious by the first incarnation. And when Gus was running around and playing and coaching rugby league, so there's a there's a bit of Devil's Advocate there, and then all of a sudden the game was going, Oh, hang on a minute, Gus has just said something about Lucky Galvin, and Lucky Galvin's ended up there. I mean, how many times it happened over the years, right. But the other reason this happens, particularly in England, is people have to make a living and and unfortunately in England, a lot of the jobs that look like they might pay a lot of money on TV, don't feed your family. They might be good, they might be good, they might be decent for what you're doing in that time, i e. Three hours work might be worth more than your average Joe or Joe Anguetz, but it's not enough to feed your family. So people end up doing multiple things. I don't know what that excuse is in the NRL in many cases. I mean, the NRL certainly is a little bit smoke and mirrors. The game is not as big as it parades itself as. No, but there are some people making an absolute motster out of rugby league too, and it's because they have two or three roles and got fair play to them. There's no rules in place right now, but it stinks. I mean, there are shows that I've stopped consuming on mainstream media because I've said agendas and I am more likely to get my news now from a podcast. I won't name any names. I won't say who or whatever, because I don't want to sort of individually accuse anybody or what not. But one I'm watching some of these shows and I'm thinking, mm hmm. I know for a fact he's got a long standing relationship with that culture. I know for a fact that he used to play for that club, or I know for a fact that he's on the board at that club, and it's just yeah, it's it's rampantly absolutely.
Speaker 2: I think. I think in particularly in the programs or the shows or whatever which have a journalistic lean or people are there for you know, their opinions, you have to be very careful, you know, if you're an owner of a club, or you you know, you're a coach at at a other club, but then you're criticizing someone else, you have to be very careful about what you say, and you know the biases that you have. And I think you know, some of the more obvious ones that we've already mentioned are easy to to just sort of say no, you know, you can't do, you can't do, excell I said, because often they may you know, may be any perceived conflict of interest, but it just opens up the question does that to to biases or.
Speaker 1: And it's harmless ones. There is harmless ones too. I mean, I think you know, you've got a contact book right as a journalist, and sometimes you will speak highly of a coach sometimes I suppose just because you know them better. And you don't even realize you're doing it sometimes, you know, I don't know, I don't know who they are, but it just happens. I'm the same, your mind leans towards certain things. So we've got to be got to be really careful. One that always that I think is really innocent and I'm not accusing them a minute of any wrongdoing whatsoever. But I know Paul Crawley here in Australia always sticks up for Wayne Bennett, and I think it's because his dad had a great relationship with him and his dad was heavily involved when Wayne Bennett first coach at Canberra back in the eighties. So that's that's fine, But can you imagine how many of these there are out there when we're when we're consuming what we're consuming. So it really is a big issue. I mean, I don't know what we can do about it. It seems like the MRL are trying to do something about it with the TV deal. I think what it will be is they've got to say to the TV companies they must tell your employees to make a decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think I think with you know, we talked we mentioned in Lockey Gallantine but the more probably recent one has been breath and asked when he was talking about machelin Ilius's treatment his client at Sydney. He's very critical of Sydney and Blake Solid. You know, he's the manager. So yeah, he's got a foot in both. It came so it's not a good lot. I think in that sort of situation as the host of that program, he should be recruiting it. Sorry, excusing himself from that and saying, you know, ideally yeah, and you let other members on the panel have they say, but that's not what's happened.
Speaker 1: Let's dissect Magic Weekend, John, So all the vibes coming out of it are good, but we don't live off vibes. I've got the sense that you were genuinely excited this weekend, particularly on the first day. You were excited today. I don't know how excited you are, but yeah, so was it a success or not?
Speaker 2: John? Look, I'll say out Frank, I'm a big fan of Magic Weekend. I've always liked it. I think it's a great concept, a great idea. I've been I think I've been to maybe ten or eleven magics now I'm not sure exactly but I went to the Eddie Head, I've been to Newcastle. The lot went to Anfield which was pretty average. Leeds was very average. But I think this year was great. Record breaking attendance of eighty two, nine hundred and twenty five. Now, I think you can look at that a few different ways, like that's for all seven games, so you know, we're not really comparing apples for apples. They've thrown in.
Speaker 1: Six games, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: No, No, no, So they're thrown in. There's the six games in Hill Dickinson SATA. But they've also added in the attendance from Catalans v. Toulouse in France. So I think it's about I think it was about seventy eight thousand. That's Hill Dickinson, which is still you know, up from I think the record of sixty eight thousand. It's James, but you also have to look that there's there's two new teams in there. Obviously Bradford. You know they bring usually a fair few fans. But I think they've got the fixtures right. You know, you got you've got a loop fixture, you've got whole Derby, you've got Wigans Saints, you've got Leeds Bradford Derby, you got Wakefield cast Derby. Like I think, I think the fixtures are really good. I think hill Dickinson Stadium obviously went there for the ashes is a fantastic stadium. Something that I really noticed how friendly all the staff were, Like not that the staff that James's part went from me, but they were just all the people went out of their way to be really nice. I think it's a great experience for fans, the fans. I went and had to look as a DJ out. There was heaps of food options, lots of people out there and joying that obviously warm weather. It was only about twenty one twenty two, but and I think URL commercial investors and more money in promoting magic, you know, pushing it. There was more media events and I think that paid off. I think the concern, or I guess one point is it's the new venue, so that's people are excited by that. But will that be the same next year or the year after. Like, I don't think we can say, okay, we have it at Hildikinson Stadium for the next five years and more because people people like a change, don't they You know, you can you know, you look at Wembley in the Challenge Cup final. People like a change, so I think that's something to be aware of. The Other thing is also Liverpool is close to what wigans and how yeah, so it's closer to the heartlands the Newcastle was, so that's a factor.
Speaker 1: Closer than Newcastle still is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, moved.
Speaker 1: Castle hasn't moved, no, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think Magic is a great event, you know, That's why the NRLs copied it and done their own and I think it makes Super League feel like it's on a bigger, grounder stage and I think it's really good. Sky love it, you know, from broadcasting point of view, it's it's great content for them. So I think it's good that it's staying in Hilton Dickinson Stadium next year. I'm not sure what we do for twenty twenty eight, but yeah, I'm a big fan of Magic and yeah, a long way continue.
Speaker 1: And let's add it to the record once again and credit where it is due. The UK Rugby League were the first to do Magic. Yes, it was copied by the NRL and then copied by the AFL, so yeah, yeah, I forget what they call it. Does they gather around something like that? They tried to reach around or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I got some scintillating pros sent to me, and to be fair, this wasn't meant for public consumption, but I've referred to the committee and decided it's going in because it came from my dad, Chris. The sensational proses as follows Magic Weekend was ship up to Wigan Saints. It had a bit of everything, first, second to last. I assuming means the Wig and Saints game had a bit of everything. And then he added cast gave up after ten Bradford bullshit Catalan made, which is French for shit. Huddersfield beyond description lea good whole team's very average leg Oh there's a podcast. I don't know why. I don't know why you bothered with our assessment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think. Look, it would have been nice if we had more competitive games, less lop sided contests, but you can't as an organizer. You can't. Really, That's that's up to the teams themselves and the players. Isn't it like you can't bank on that. I think in an ideal world we would have had more games going right down to the wild being closely fort and we did have a lot of one sided contests. That's just an unfortunate reality. You know. Wakefield smash cast lead smash, Bradford York were fairly dominant over Huddersfield and Lee pretty much smashed Warrington.
Speaker 1: It's because they had a shorter preseason for a competition that got changed within a matter of weeks in terms of its rules before the competition, and I think some of these teams are genuinely struggling, struggling to keep up with the pace of it. Our mate, our long term mate, James Varley also messaged some of his feedback from Magic Weekend. Warrington was atrocious with their air account. Umulla Hanley, how'd you say it? Umler Mala Lamarla Hanley Mala Mala showed he was a bit of a chip off the old block with his trifle, Lee with his footwork. Despite it being in Liverpool, I've seen more Whole Kr Leeds and Bradford Shurchs in Liverpool City Center than for any of the Lancashire clubs. The whole clubs both had a big support there yesterday, more than the Warrington Jay Lee fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah. On my way over on Saturday I saw a lot of FC and KR fans think obviously it's probably the furthest distance, isn't it, so they're more likely to stay over on the on the Saturdays. A lot of Cash shirts this morning and a lot of Leeds shirts.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe maybe there's a lesson in there for where we have Magic because it's seen as more of a trip away for the Orchard crowd, whereas it be a day trip for the Yes, but it can be a day trip if you're from Yorkshire.
Speaker 2: But there's much I think the idea, the idea, the original idea of Magic Weekend was to kind of take the game to new market. So I went to Cardiff, I went to Scotland. It's being in Newcastle Liverpool, but the probably reality is it's more of a just a day out for for fearing somewhere new and exciting and different. It's not really growing rugby league in Wales, for Scotland or in Merseyside. But it makes money for the clubs and that's the key. That's the key thing. I understand that the clubs this year got more money because of the ticket sales been increased than they did last year. So you know, we need more profitable events, don't we.
Speaker 1: A couple of players are being offered to super League Junior to Power and tom it tallowe Yes.
Speaker 2: My understanding a bit of an exclusive there that the two wingers, they could be one of them at least could be super Leg bound in twenty twenty seven. I think it Allows only made three or so appearances for the Roosters this year.
Speaker 1: While he's only young.
Speaker 2: He's only young, yes, or Junior has been in the New South Last Cup and hasn't got to start. So I don't think either will be at the Chucks next year. I know. Yeah, they're looking for deals and super leiks, So I want to want to watch the week's ahead.
Speaker 1: Tom it Allows twenty six years of age, but he is dating Jessica Surgis, world w player apart three guys to according to the Tintinet, And therefore let's start speculating that jess Surgis could play in the women's Super League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that won't happen. But also Tommy the son of Willie Teller, who was a pretty handy player for the Dogs and Saint Helens and New Zealand. I believe back in the day.
Speaker 1: The second or the fifteenth tweet of the week was from the MP for Makeerfield Ashtonham Makerfield, Andy Burnham, who said rugby league deserves more. As a former president of the RFL, I'll be a staunch advocate of the game in whatever office I hold. Now, let me go tiny bit political for a little bit. I was a bit upset that the Labor Party have started to do what the Tour did for fourteen years. When the Tories did it for fourteen years, he sort of thought, well, that's what the tour is do. And then when Labor turf out their Prime minister, you know, I thought we were over all this. So I've been it's a bit like what can I compare it to, A bit like a family of kids when the dad brings home the fifteenth girlfriend of the year, you don't necessarily think that the next one is the one. Yeah, But so I've been a bit like that with the old Andy Burnham thing. Bob, I've got to be honest. This made my heart glow a little bit, this whole the fact he was at Magic Round and whatnot. Because we all back politicians for what we can get out of it, basically, don't we? And yes, and you know, I know it's words and he's pretty good at them. Yeah, but this has to be a good thing. It has to be a good thing that the Prime Minister that we're likely to get in the UK and the Speaker of the House are both staunch rugby league people and that can't be any harm And it can't be It can't also be a coincidence that a Labor government has seen two knights of the realm in their time in government. And there's other advocates, isn't they for rugby league, including the Wigan MP, the the Lee and Averton MP who's my cousin. You know, they're all advocates for rugby league. So this can't be a This can't be a bad thing.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure if you're going to mention your family Labor Party connections, but you just have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, she gets hate I think anyway on so I'll think a few more or no, Look, I think we can we can park the because this is a rugby league podcast.
Speaker 2: We can partner whether you where you like Andy Burnham, agree with his policies what the Labor Party has done to get him into number ten, but what exactly what you said having a UK Prime Minister who you know, he was the honorary president of Leaf Centurions. I think he's played a bit of rugby league when he's you know, he's got a connection to the sport. Having someone in the highest office with the connection of the sport or an interest in it can only be a good thing. It can't be a bad thing. It doesn't mean he's going to do alban easy and give three hundred million to set up a new team in Edinburgh, but which would be great. But look, he at least knows the sport exists, you know, and he knows you know, he knows what he's like. There's not enough people, powerful people in the UK in positions of power and influence who either love rugby league or you know, can can allocate a funding now people, some people forgotten, I certainly haven't. The Tory government under Boris Johnson gave rugby League twenty five million pounds to do the laste, which lost money. But you know why they did that is because of the whole Workington Man thing. And they won votes and won seats that were traditionally labor rugby league strongholds like Workington lightly etc. So yeah, I think it was great that he was at the game. I think it was great that he spoke so positively about the sport. I can't remember another time where you had well, I'd say at least three prime ministers in the world Alban Easy, Burnham soon and the guy in Papua New Guinea who are actually rugby league people. So that's got to be a good thing that you know in Australia. I mean, John Howard wasn't really Wagons fan, Bob Hawk wasn't Allegee, Paul Keating wasn't a Lligie, you know, Tony Abbott was not really a Manly fan. That was just a taken bit of bullshit. He was a rugby union guy. I can go on. So yeah, I think it's I think it's positive. There's a lot of you know what was interesting at that magic weekend. So he was there, Tessie News scored and as we've talked about testing you before, everyone booed, which still seems to people get sad about or upset about. And then they soon panned to Andy Burnham, who was clapping to try because he's a Lee fan. But then there was people accusing him of supporting a wife beater, which I'm I'm fairly sure he probably doesn't know the history of testing you. But when they showed Andy Burnham in the stadium there was a fairly large amount of booze, but there was also some applause as well.
Speaker 1: So what politicians get all the time exactly exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean in Australia, as you know, any partition of any political party is that sporting event. They all get booed. It's like a national passed on. But there is and I can judge this by my socials, there is a large amount of reform voters who are rugby league fans in the UK, so it will be interesting, yeah, whether there is a bit more of a acknowledgment for rugby league, you know, under Burnham's tenure, or there's certainly as you know Lee, there's certainly MPs in rugby league areas now in power in labor and I think that's a positive for the sport.
Speaker 1: Mate. The FIFA World Cup is on making squillions and it's huge around the world. It's in America and their president, Donald Trump was on st and greevesy in the eighties doing the Milk Cup draw. So who knows what could happen with Burnham being in the hot seat. John, You'll have some questions on your social duels, I think from I do.
Speaker 2: I do have some questions. I think the first one it was a bit more of a statement from his name escapes me. I think it was Jay. There we go. It was from James Harvey. Are you a coy Hunter fan boy? John? Which I did at Probably no, mate, I just appreciate talent. But he was talking about the York halfback who scored two tries was made in the match for York, who actually signed from the Sunshine Coast Falcons to Newcastle Thunder. But it's really, you know, looks a really good talent, a young obviously half back and doing really well. Paul Kilbride had a question the lack of quality on the pitch. Five blow up matches here in a state ridden but exciting last few minutes of the last game, throw on a blow at in France? How many good games? Really? I think we've kind of talked about that, haven't we. I mean, I think if we want better games, then we reduce the amount of teams of the competition to ten, because we've talked maybe not hate but we've talked about about the playpool and statement from punting number one, Zach Eckersley should be the first one I picked for England comfortably the best winger. It can also cover fullback and center something on the others offer. I agree pretty much one hundred percent with this. I mean, I think Dom Young would be the first wing I pick, but I think Zach Exerssly should definitely be in the squad. He's a big body, he's fast, he's tough, and he can cover a fullback, center wing, good and hot in the in the air. And I think probably Maddie Ashton is the other wing I picked. I think Johnston he's in good form. Maybe he's slightly below his peat years. Joe Burger should not be in the team. I'm trying to think of the contenders that that's probably about it. Unless there's an English winger you want to throw in the mix for the World Cup there Lee dom Young? Yeah, yeah, know, I already said him.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sorry, Martin.
Speaker 2: I think he's about fifty five of these days. I though he's still looking.
Speaker 1: Jason Robinson probably look about twenty. Still doesn't get him, Yeah, has been two better wingers Mommy in an England Jersey. I mean Billy Boston was Welsh, so yes, then it was.
Speaker 2: A great Britain jersey. It's a good, good difference. Question from Ricky Sageant. When will the Championship grandfaon will be? I don't actually know that's I'm sorry, Ricky, there's been no information about that. Lee's looking for a new prop. Xaviervar surely fits that bill, with his age two being a plus. I think Xavi Var has done well for your but he did have some concussion into issues, which is why Wakefield didn't sign him. So I don't know if if lets would would be interested, but he's done well at York. Question from Mark Williams. In the past ten years of RFL central funding York have received is more or less equivalent to one year of Super League that Hattsfield has received. Where has that gone? What have they spent it on? Partly obviously to most people, what needs to happen now? Hashtag Olympic Nights unleashed. I should have put that as tweet of the week. Yeah, I mean, I think it would have been spent on salary cap, but it's the playing budget. Yeah, but but Hottlesfield have spent a lot of money on sacking and hiring new coaches and as we know, that hasn't worked partly. Number one question another one Paul Rowley and the St Helen's coaching staff. You're resident Saint Helen's analysts.
Speaker 1: That you throw that to you, Well, who else is on the coaching staff at Saints? So Paul Rowley's head coach, who was Brees is.
Speaker 2: The assistant coach aiming O'Carroll. I think as was the other assistant has left to go to rugby union.
Speaker 1: I don't know what his point is it there a part I assume he means that they're not very good. I do think there are deeper issues at Saints. I think, you know, at the start of this season of podcasts, might Rush ended up leaving his role. I think the club's going through a bit of a transformation. And yep, I've long said that. I think Paul Rowley has some improvement to do as a coach in the defensive side of the football in particular, But now you're talking about the offensive side as well being a concern. And yeah, you're not saying anything pun to number one that I've not been well, I've not mentioned the assistance and then Lee Briers. I think we've never really scrutinized his role in the English side. Was he the attacking coach of the England team?
Speaker 2: He was, Yes, he was.
Speaker 1: They were terrible, They were terrible in attack. Lee Briers was assistant at Brisbane for a while and I think that helped him. And before that, so yeah, I mean Anthony Sebold on a podcast referred to a head coach being the father and an assistant coach being the big brother, and I think sometimes people forget how different those roles are and so therefore maybe we're putting too much emphasis on the role of an assistant coach. But yeah, I think Saints have every Saints fans have every right to worry about what's going on with their club. But I would also say that the fact that Matty Pete came out and talked about their identity means there's obviously subplot there and people are talking about Saints in a certain way. Maybe maybe Pete was onto something that they are genuinely now trying to find a new identity to carry them through the next couple of decades. Because a lot of Saint Helen's success didn't happen overnight. I mean when I left England, Saint were really upping things in terms of the way they recruited and coached juniors, for example, and then a lot of those juniors ended up in Super League and carrying them to a lot of success. So I mean it's hardly the end of the world for Saint Helen's fans. It's not like the bottom of the ladder. And even over the hill when Wigan in the mid two thousands lost their way a little bit, they ended up in threat of relegation. So there are worse ways of going through transition. Brisbane Broncos have won a premiership and now they're second bottom, so there's there's more reasons to worry there. So but Saint Helen's fans demand success, don't they. And and that's because there's been many of them, have a certain vintage. You've known nothing different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's what I said, as you said earlier, there's a there's a period of transition there, you know. I think what happened with Paul Willans, I think that left his departure left at a club legend, left probably a bit of taste in some people's mouth. Obviously Mike rush going. There's been other staff, long standing staff leave, a new coach coming in with new ideas. Yes, it's an interesting period I think for the club and I think the expectations are they're very high. But I don't think you know, it's going to be a case of signing one or two players and then we're top of the league again. I think it may take a while for that to happen.
Speaker 1: Now, John, you won't want to talk about the n r L this week because New South Wales got battered in the last Origin, but also Manly have lost two of the last three. So would you like to talk about most Eagles this week? And well, get the game was at seven am, so I was not up to watch it. But for the piss then you wrap back.
Speaker 2: I do wonder how they lost to Pause are pretty shyall frostball doomed. It's not been a good weekend for the teams that John Davidson supports, and in.
Speaker 1: Soccer Rouge as well, Waller Bees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we can keep going and then we've got we've got Origin game three.
Speaker 1: Didn't even know the Wallabies were playing, that's how well things are going in Australia.
Speaker 2: And I was chatting Agent Lamb on Saturday about Origin three and the treatment of laurened Early which was which was an interesting chat. But yeah, I've got a bit of worries for the Blues on and saying I can smell at Queensland a big CoInc victory.
Speaker 1: Put New South Wales is going to aim up makes I think what Lorie Daly has done is realized this caper isn't for him in between game two and Game three, and I think he might have been quite smart and deferred a lot more to his players. That doesn't mean in the next few days he's going to try and pretend he's doing a bit more. But I think he's gone back to his players a little bit to say what do we need to get right? I think there's enough football IQ Rugby League IQ in that team to direct that conversation somewhere. Differently, that doesn't mean, though, that the interchange is going to be fixed. That doesn't mean the selections have been fixed. I mean why Aulaquart was taken out the side to be brought back in again. Why Corrasaw was brought in to sit on the bench and then not be used when they were in dire need of something in and around the play the ball area. You know, there's so many things, and yes, the treatment of Lorry Daily. Nobody's criticizing Lorrie Daily as a human. They're just critiquing his role as a coach. He should never have been given the job. They should never have been given the job. It's Origin and they can maybe win. You know, it's Origin. It's Origin, mate, You should know that. And I think.
Speaker 2: Watching I love watching Lourie as a player. When you said, well, I was in the late eighties and early nineties, he was an absolute freak. But he's got the record for the most losses as a coach in Origin and that's really all you need to know. So this is going to be regardless of the result on Wednesday, it's going to be his last game as a as a stet of Origin.
Speaker 1: Cash and the Brisbane Broncos have lost eight on the bounce. Yeah, I mean current premiers John That is.
Speaker 2: Quite remarkable when you consider obviously, you know they went through quite a bit last year to kind of somehow win the Corn. But you know what Madge did with the Blues and what he did with the kiwis before that, but it's just all it's all gone wrong. And then you look at the broncos I'm not followed it closely, but there's players we'd like, alcohol problems, isn't there And there's you know, apparently Jesse Arthurs that they wanted to re sign him and he said no thanks, I'll go to France and play for Catalans. And obviously the pain and hears thing. So there's something not right there in terms of the culture at the club or the happy.
Speaker 1: But I coached a player who is now a doormen in Brisbane and he's a really good human. He knows right from wrong and whatnot, and.
Speaker 2: Which is unlike a lot of dormant and Australian pubs.
Speaker 1: And yeah, is a dormant who's in it for the right reasons to keep people safe. And he's not a thug. And he told me that the word on the street in Brisbane at the time Brisbane's really a big village. After twenty twenty four, so twenty was it twenty twenty three they went to the Grand Final and lost. It was yeah, So apparently the behavior of the Brisbane fan players was off the charts, like they were the term used was they had a disgrace to the club and I think Madge was brought in to try and change that, and I think there's been some pushback because every time he trained a little bit hard, it gets leaked to the media and the media turn on him. So they either need to back their coach or let the players rule. And I think I know what I'd do. Let's go to the excitement of this week's fixtures, and I bet you can't wait for this one. John on Thursday York Nights host Hull lef C. Who You're back in there?
Speaker 2: Well on this weekend's fair I'm definitely back in the nights.
Speaker 1: On Saturday, Huddersfield Giant versus Bradford Bulls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean two teams that were very poor this weekend, but I think I think the Bulls in that one.
Speaker 1: Wigan and Warrington.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's quite a tasty one. And even though both teams are missing a lot of talent, I think I think Wigan maybe just in a in a tight one, but yeah, I think Warranton if they if they're still hoping or dreaming of grabbing first, then they need to they need to really turn up in that game.
Speaker 1: On Saturday, Lee played Castle Food at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean on current form and in the way Lee are looking, he can't say anything, but the Leopards.
Speaker 1: Win that five thirty hill KR play Wakefield all the good game.
Speaker 2: That's a really yeah, that's a that's a really good game. Wakefield obviously beat whole KR a few weeks ago on in great, great form. Whole K are not, you know, hitting the straps, but they're still they're still a team to be respected. So I think that one's too close to cool.
Speaker 1: And Catalans at Lee and Leeds at eight o'clock British time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Leeds probably probably about forty.
Speaker 1: And as is the way, now only one game on Sunday, Saint Helen's hopes to lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even even with probably a few more injuries and all suspensions from today's game, I think, and considering to lose a big win, I think St Helens we'll get the points in that one.
Speaker 1: And let's see how quickly this podcast ages. Because Berlin Harland of Manchester City fame was just headed norway ahead with ten minutes to go against Brazil. Wow, well that would be uh, that would be a hell of a result. You tip for Wednesday's origin, I thought you were the same.
Speaker 2: My tip for tonight is is s Burrito's, tacos and enchiladas.
Speaker 1: All the way. Football is coming home without the h.
Speaker 2: My prediction is the Queensland win. My hope. My heart is dreaming of a Blues victory. But I think I think you were talking before about football IQ, and I think Queensland just seem to understand the Origin arena. And when you've got players like Monster and Grant and you know Sam Walker's kind of ability to play off the cuff footy, He's really impressed me in this Origin Arena. So yeah, I think I think sadly it will be a cane toad victory.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking Queensland might win because at the start of the process I said on zero tackles loose carry that it will either be Queensland three nil or Queensland two. I should climb one, so I should. I's got his one, Queensland have got one, So I'm going to go with Queensland. But I don't think it will be an emphatic win. In New South I think New South Wales is going to have a red hot crack it.
Speaker 2: Is Sandcorp as well, like, how many deciders have you so well as well at Suncorp about two three.
Speaker 1: Well, you've also got to remember it's happened a bit more recently in the last few years, and you've got to remember a lot of these NRL players spent a full year playing at Suncrp under the COVID times, so it's not it's not the daunting place that it used to be. So for many of these players, they know it very well and they play magic round there every year, so so put it this way, they've had a lot more practice of playing at that place full of Queenslanders. So yeah, just not you know, it's not the lang Park of the eighties.
Speaker 2: Is it. So they're not going to get pelted by Cairnes no like to. But I still think it's an intimidating place to play when it's a stet of our and decider And there's how many how many million Queenslands are there? Four million, five million? You know that will be all.
Speaker 1: There might have been a few more moved in during the course of this podcast.
Speaker 2: I wasn't counting the ones with the two heads, so there's probably eight million, so all of them will be we'll be fired up.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to say after that.
Speaker 2: I thought I was throwing a bit of Paul Gallon in spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, see you next week for three sixty. Thanks John, thank you.