Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M.
Speaker 2: Six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: It's time for swamp watch.
Speaker 3: Swamp is horrible.
Speaker 1: The government doesn't work.
Speaker 4: Man to make it like a reality TV show was a bad noos.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, DC.
Speaker 2: Hey, Joey, A town hall too, clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 1: A batch of malwarkee, he said, drained the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so hope, keep wash.
Speaker 2: You know the thing, all right, This Jack Smith filing is massive, literally, I mean it's one hundred and sixty five pages. It is a document that Jack Smith, a special council was basically ordered to put together to try to delineate between what was a private act of former President Trump he was president at the time after the twenty twenty election, and what was an a feal act that the president was doing at the time where he was fighting back against the results of the twenty twenty election. And the difference between the two is the Supreme Court judged this summer that those official acts are immune from prosecution. But that the private acts might not be immune from prosecution. So what Jack Smith had to do was go back through his case, get rid of the things that he thought were official or that would be official, and then try to prove some of the things that he thought would be private and therefore could be criminal. As an example, he described the conversations between former President Trump and former Vice President Mike Pence as candidates talking to each other, as opposed to either one of them doing the official duties of their office. So that's why he included some of those things in this new filing one hundred and sixty five pages. A requirement of the court that he put this thing together, but it is not a requirement that the judge release it.
Speaker 1: That's an important thing. A couple takeaways.
Speaker 2: Again, not a lot of great new information or specific, you know, earth shattering new stuff that came out of it. Just kind of fleshed out some of the details that we had already known about. One of the cases. A scene from November fourth at a center in Detroit. A colleague of a Trump campaign official, not Trump, a colleague of a Trump campaign official, and an alleged co conspiracor sorry co conspirator said that a batch of votes that heavily favored Joe Biden was apparently correct, and they were discussing about whether or not they were going to go in and file court challenges to this. This colleague suggested such things could lead to a repeat of the so called Brooks Brothers riot, which was a scene down in South Florida in the two thous presidential election, which was close. Of course, the Trump campaign official and co conspiracy co conspirator It's Hard allegedly said, make them riot, do it. Another takeaway, Trump didn't seem to be concerned that Mike Pence was a potential target as people broke into the Capitol on January sixth, and when an advisor told him there's a riot, there are people going inside the Capitol buildings. Someone's gotten into the Capitol, and that Mike Pence was taken out by Secret Service. Taken away, I should say by secret service, He said.
Speaker 1: So what.
Speaker 2: Allegedly more evidence that Trump had nothing include statements from advisors, White House officials, other lawyers who had said to him, this is not going to go any war anywhere, and at that point that they had already lost tens of court cases somewhere in the nature of thirty court cases, and that he said he still had to fight. And then finally the quote that they say kind of sums it up, which is he told a family member or family members a board Marine one, it doesn't matter if you want or lost the election, you still have to fight.
Speaker 1: Like hell.
Speaker 2: The best writing that I saw on this, there are a lot of different stuff that's been written about this so far, breathlessly saying that this is new information. I didn't find anything in there that was necessarily new. The idea, though, that we the public are have a right to a speedy trial, doesn't make sense. Jack Smith actually argues that the public has a right to speedy trial because of the nature of this case. It's a former president, he's a candidate. Do we use this information to elect him or turn against him however you want to frame this. But there's no constitutional right for the people to get speedy trial. It's the defendant who has the right to a speedy trial. And again I'm not saying this is not important. I think this is very important. I have the one hundred and sixty five pages right in front of me because I want to read through this thing. Myself, But the Constitution guarantees a defendant the right to a speedy trial, not me if I'm not part of that case. As far as the importance of this case, yes, it's gravely important. I think it's gravely important. But that's not but it's for political reasons that it's gravely important. And there's no guarantee that political reasons put pressure on the judiciary to get any of this done. According to how the judge does this, no matter how she rules on this, whether to overcome the immunity claim that the former president says he has, it's going to be appealed. So again, immunity is one of those issues which federal criminal law permits pre trial appeals. You can do this before it actually goes to trial. We're years away from this thing ever seeing the inside of a courtroom. If ever, so, why was this thing released? The judge didn't have to She did not have to unseal this, especially when you consider not a lot of the stuff in there as new.
Speaker 1: She's not sick, though, is she? You can't stop love? Is it? Blossoms and blooms? Doog google?
Speaker 2: Canelia an entire folder we could put together. You don't even have to run those through AI and come up with come up with her saying full sentences.
Speaker 1: We could do do do do do do. It's a regionalist, all right.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about this big filing that came down from Jack Smith, a special counsel in the January sixth case. And it was a requirement because he had to be able to go through and parse which actions he was accusing the former president of which ones were would have fallen under our official business. Therefore he would be immune from prosecution and those things which were private acts, which could mean that he could be.
Speaker 1: Put up for prosecution.
Speaker 2: And I was mentioning this piece from Andrew McCarthy, former assistant US attorney, who has written not a Trump guy at all. In fact, in the piece that he wrote in the National Review, he said, I'm not minimizing Trump's activities. I've repeatedly said Trump was rightly impeached and should have been convicted and disqualified from future office. I've repeatedly argued that Republicans were nuts to nominate him, as opposed to a more nationally viable candidate who would be up ten points.
Speaker 1: By now against Kamala Harris, on and on and on.
Speaker 2: He said, Yeah, there are some things in this filing one hundred and sixty five pages that are bombshells.
Speaker 5: Sorry, we're hearing about there being bombshells, and this thing is absolutely true. Some of the stuff that's outlined here is appalling. But I think the thing is the country already has decided what it thinks about January sixth. That doesn't redown to Trump's benefit, But what it means is that the country has moved on for four years to other things, and the fact is that they have to weigh what they think about what January sixth says about President Trump's suitability to be in office versus all of the dysfunction that they've had to live through for the last four years, and then you have to decide and weigh all that in vogue.
Speaker 2: So he also says, and this kind of goes to what I was saying earlier, which is Jack Smith had to put this report together because the way the immunity ruling came down from the Supreme Court is they sent it back to the judge and said, Okay, you've got to have to be able. You're going to have to be able to determine which of the acts would have been considered official business therefore immune, or private acts not immune.
Speaker 5: And there was no reason to have it brought out in public now. In fact, in most cases, a judge would be concerned about, for example, poisoning or prejudicing against the defendant the jury pool. In most cases, a judge would be very concerned that evidence not be broadcast in public without the usual due process cautions that go on in a trial, about the defendant being presumed innocent, and the fact that allegations are not evidence of anything. The point of releasing this now can only be to affect the election. It doesn't have any there's no legal need for it.
Speaker 1: There is some hope.
Speaker 2: So again, that was Andrew McCarthy, former assistant US attorney and a writer for National Review, explaining what he was thinking about why this was released. Another issue that's come up is that Hurricane Helene in the aftermath could potentially play a role in the upcoming election, because there's already some bubbling resentment. It appears in places like Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina, which tend to be blue states anyway, I'm sorry, tend to be red states anyway.
Speaker 1: I've screwed that up for years.
Speaker 2: But the pushback against the way the federal government is run now. This is not necessarily that it's Democrats who are in power right now. It's FEMA in general, and FEMA that gets a lot of the blame for things that go wrong when they try to bring a giant truckload of supplies or thousands of truckloads of supplies to an area and can't get into the nooks and crannies of the areas that need the most help. We're talking about areas where the president will not go President Biden simply because there's no infrastructure to maintain a safe way for him to go in there without sucking up all the resources of local fire and first respet. He is in Florida today. He was getting a briefing just about an hour ago about what's going on in Florida as a result of Hurricane Helen. With the cleanup efforts are there, he will move on to Georgia to survey the damage. We know that Vice President Harris was also down there yesterday and was getting updates on it. But how this goes over the next week or so, and how responsive and nimble perhaps the FEMA administrators are could have an impact on what we go to the polls to decide. Coming up in just about a month. We got a couple stories here. It's time for terror and the skies like zero nier.
Speaker 6: You're glare at the day off, Roger, get off my plane, PROGERI Rodgers.
Speaker 1: What's our Victor?
Speaker 7: Victor?
Speaker 4: Enough is enough?
Speaker 7: I haven't had to put these multy pipe snakes on his money.
Speaker 1: It's Gary and Shannon's terror in the Skies.
Speaker 2: On k f I follow up from last week, they did arrest a couple of people using an airplane to smuggle drugs after their plane ran out of fuel and had to make a landing down near Oceanside on State Road seventy six, But he said the pilot used a distress call before making the emergency landing. No traffic because it was the middle of the ice two in the morning, so neither the pilot nor the passenger was hurt. But when they got there, the guy did something suspicious. He threw a backpack into the brush, in which officers said they found a kilo of cocaine street value one kilo.
Speaker 1: Just an idea, Just give me a.
Speaker 2: Quick idea, Jacob, what do you think is the street value of a kilo of cocaine?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 8: Man, uh, eight hundred dollars, eight hundred dollars, Ritchie, do you have any idea what the street value of one kilo of cocaine would be?
Speaker 1: Let me text Lindsay Lohan give you say oh no, no, no, I need it off the top of your head.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to say two hundred k two hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jacob said eight hundred dollars and you said two hundred thousand. We have no chill, Deborah, I'm going to say fifteen hundred.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: You guys are all way out of the loop when it comes to street value on drug produces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. I guess that's a that's a positive thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, seventy thousand dollars is the rough street value of one kilo of cocaine?
Speaker 1: Are you serious? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Seventy grand Wow. Police said that this guy also had a small amount of cocaine on him. The pilot, a twenty one year old, also arrested on charges of illegal transportation of narcotics.
Speaker 1: And I guess that was.
Speaker 2: The they found one kilo They're flying in one kilo of coke.
Speaker 1: Wait it's that's in one seventy grand for one kilo. Yeah, oh man, I'm in the wrong business. The same.
Speaker 7: There is.
Speaker 2: There was another story as well about why you shouldn't fall asleep on an airplane and stick your head on the window. And it's not because you're going to you know, get nerve damage or to the temperature of the window or anything like that.
Speaker 1: It's that it's full of germs.
Speaker 2: High touch surfaces like a spot that makes contact with hands, whether it's doorknobs in the or the elevator buttons or something like that. They say it's a hot spot for transmitting germs in restaurants, public bathrooms, and even those tin boxes in the sky. Said basically, you're going to find microbes on the high touch surfaces repeatedly touched by multiple individuals. Just think of a kid knuckles deep, going after a booger and wiping it on the window. Now, the chances that you get sick from it pretty slim. If you have a microbiome like I do, it's probably going to be fight fought off pretty well. But how often do you think they actually go through and do a deep clean.
Speaker 1: Not very often.
Speaker 2: I mean, unless you have a biohazardous vomit issue in one of these airplanes. They're just going to do a quick wipe down, maybe using disinfectant. Between flights. They're just going to make sure that you didn't leave your phone in that little seat pocket in front of you. The final story I wanted to bring you on Terror in the Skies is a new project to try to find MH three seventy. Remember Malaysia Airlines Flight three seventy disappeared March of twenty fourteen, somewhere in the southern Indian Ocean. They think, and the question of whether the pilot or pilots put it down, whether there was an attack on that airplane, it just stopped communicating and flew straight until it went off the radar. There's a new guy, Jeff Wise, and a pilot science journalist says he's launching a new experiment that might hold the key to where the plane may have crashed. What he's going to do is put a replica of a piece of debris in the likely crash site and then monitor marine growth on that piece.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: A lot of other plane crashes are a lot more straightforward. He said, this is similar to Air France flight four forty seven, which went down in the Atlantic and it was only recovered a couple of years later. There was a report in twenty twelve that concluded the mechanical faults the incorrect crew reaction had caused that accident of Air France. But in this case, we simply don't know, because we can't definitively prove one way or the other without that recording equipment, the cockpit voice recorder and the black box that records instrumentation, what the pilots are doing mechanically, that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: They said.
Speaker 2: The most prominent of many theories right now is that this was caused by a murder or a murder suicide, or something carried out by one or both of the plane's pilot. In that the plane's tracking devices were switched off in the cockpit, which leads a lot of authorities to believe that someone had deliberately disabled them to lead the plane off course. But if they can find the plane itself or remnants of it, chances are they'd be able to find those recording devices and that could potentially shed.
Speaker 1: Some light on exactly what happened.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: The pilot, if you remember, was a fifty three year old guy more than eighteen thousand flying hours, one of the most senior captains at Malaysia Airlines. He joined Malaysia Airlines back in nineteen eighty three. The first officer was a twenty seven year old guy who was on a training flight. This was his last training flight before he was set to go under a test and become a fully certified pilot. He had joined the airline in two thousand and seven, had a pretty good record with twenty seven hundred hours of flight experience, but at this point still.
Speaker 1: No word exactly what did it.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and twenty seven passengers twelve crew aboard presumed to have lost their lives when it encountered problems and then encountered the ocean.
Speaker 1: That's the way it happens, all right.
Speaker 2: Tracking your partner playing that reading that article The Dark Side of tracking your partner's mobile phone a couple of great backs. If you've done this and maybe found out something that you didn't want to, or you do it just because you like to know where that person is, let me know on the talkback feature on the iHeart app and we'll get into that. I was reading to you from that article about the dark side of tracking your partner's mobile phone is does loving somebody mean you need to know everything about them, specifically their geography, at all hours of the day. And the basic conclusion that this article comes to is that it depends on the health overall health of your relationship if this is good or bad. I mean, there are times when you can tell when your spouse is coming home and basically guess as to how much time you have left to I don't know, put potatoes in the I don't know what do you do with potatoes?
Speaker 1: Do you cook them?
Speaker 2: Or what time you're going to clean up, or what time you got to get your girlfriend out of the house before your wife comes home, whatever it is. There's plenty of different reasons why people track their partners, and we were asking for your information about it, whether it's worked to backfired in some cases. A lot of people do feel safe sharing their location with their partners. Others just feel like it's a little too controlling, and it really depends on the person. It really depends on the relationship probably, but sharing your location the way we do now, I mean, on find my friends on the iPhone, which is the one I have experience with, you can tell when people are driving, Like right now, I know exactly where my son is eating lunch, or I know if my daughter is in the science building or in her apartment, or if my wife has made it to her parents' house yet. I mean, I can tell you all those things. I could even tell you the road where they're driving in some cases, and that might be a little too much information, I suppose.
Speaker 4: Hey Gary, uh, think about the tracking your spouse. You know, we we all tracked each other by my my now ex spouse and our two children, and just all of a sudden, my now ex spouse at one time just started objecting to being tracked and I thought it was odd at the time, And it turns out she was cheating on me, So that pretty much explains that one. So anyways, for what it's worth. Oh, by the way, your bumper music blows?
Speaker 2: Oh no, Jacoba, do you take criticism?
Speaker 1: Well no, I could care less. Oh yeah, all right, Well then he could choose. How about this? He could choose the bumpers for one whole show. Are you inviting him to do that?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 9: Is he?
Speaker 1: What kind of crapp he sends in?
Speaker 7: Really?
Speaker 2: Because I'll get his email address for you. Shoot him an email. Oh boy, you're asking for trouble.
Speaker 10: Hey Gary, Shannon, Yeah, No, I mean I don't. I don't have a partner.
Speaker 3: I track.
Speaker 10: But you know, we all my family and I show our location and my brother in law and all that. So it's nice in the sense of knowing that where we're going to we're getting too safe because some of us travel for including me, you know, driving a company vehicle, you know, so on and so forth.
Speaker 11: So it's just nice knowing we're safe and we're good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, travel is one of those things. If you do travel a lot, it's nice to know. Nice to have an idea at least maybe what city your friend is in or you're tracking my.
Speaker 1: Wife, Yes, has saved my marriage.
Speaker 12: Good period to know what she's going to be whole, tells me how long I have to clean up before she gets home.
Speaker 1: Very strong idea.
Speaker 12: Hey Gary, hope you're not too lonely without Shannon. We all miss her? Or do we just kidding? My wife and I do share our location with each other, but it's only because of being an earthquake country. We both want to know what rubble pile that we'd have to go looking under to try to figure out where each other are. But then again, the cell network would probably go down. So what good is that? Love the show I have a good one mate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was one of the one of the I guess stories that came out of that article that I was reading was somebody called the girlfriend because it's two in the morning and his phone was dying. He couldn't describe his exact location because there were no street lights and no houses. He was in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in northern California. She was able to track his location and find him in the overturned car in the bottom of a ditch somewhere and supposedly saved his life.
Speaker 1: Yes, we share.
Speaker 3: Our locations with our iPhones, and if you drive a tesla, you can see where the person is. My husband drives a lot, so he's on the road, so I look at his app sometimes see if he's on his way home and everything's safe. And my daughter, for sure, I know exactly where she is all the time. No problem there, We just shared it. It's not a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I said, the only people that I track are my family, my wife and the two kids. And a track is different track almost the word track has a connotation to it that means that I'm keeping tabs on whereas sometimes I just need to know where they are so that if I need to contact them, I guess if they have.
Speaker 1: Their phone on them, it doesn't matter where never mind.
Speaker 11: Not necessarily track my partner. But I just discovered what three words, so you can find yourself without any numbers or addresses, So like dog hotpants, and that's your location.
Speaker 1: Dog hot Pants.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is an app called what three Words, and basically you could find any what is it three meter square? I think it is in the entire world. You find out where you are, and then you can ask what three words describe that three meter square anywhere on the globe, and then send those three words to somebody who also is using what three words, and they'll be able to come find you within that square meter, which is pretty crazy. That means there's a lot of words out there, I suppose.
Speaker 6: Okay, so my adult cousin you still live with me, and I would ask him to tell me when he was coming home, just so I didn't feel like somebody breaking in my house, and he let me track him. But then he ended up working for me and I still tracked him because he would lie about where he was at on his days off, and then he ended up moving out and not paying me the money he owed.
Speaker 7: Me, and I was still track.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a great cousin you have.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I heard this on dateline, this man who had a girlfriend and a wife. He said that was a perfect light. But he tracks them both that way. He always knows where is ladies are And thought that was kind of pathetic.
Speaker 1: Though kind of thing.
Speaker 9: Hey, Gary, is Elizabeth from Shreveport. You know what, been married twenty years and yes, we track each other. My husband loves to keep tabs on exactly where I'm at and say, if you're at the yogurt place, bring me a yogurt, and he just I think it's healthy. What's a big deal for a healthy relationship? I think all is good if you know where everybody's at.
Speaker 1: Love you, bye, no love you.
Speaker 2: Licensed clinical psychologist Yasmin Saad says that young people are especially affected in this world of increasing digital impressions. Estimating the issue of location sharing in relationships comes up for about eighty to ninety percent of people in their teens, twenties, and thirties.
Speaker 1: Jacob, you've got a ways to go.
Speaker 2: Would you ever allow your teenage kid to track their boyfriend girlfriend location or have them tracked by a boyfriend girlfriend. I think it's a little too soon. I think I would advise against that. Yeah, okay, all right, So anyway, we will continue one more hour here on The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 1: We're going to do from trending stories. We're gonna check in with Royal Oaks.
Speaker 2: ABC's legal analyst about this special Council filing from Jack Smith. The fullest picture yet in terms of the case against Donald Trump. But did we have to see it? Was it necessary? Royal will answer some questions and we come back. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.