Speaker 1: A woman that would give her shoelaces, offers shoes if she knew it would help you. Ruthie McCoy spent a lifetime struggling with mental health, but she was entering a phase of life where things appeared they may turn around. That was until the night of April ninth, nineteen eighty seven, when Ruthie would fall victim to the projects of Chicago and her apartment would be broken into in the most unfathomable of ways.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 1: The following podcast and these graphic content and materials intend for a mature audience. Listener dis question is a hey, how's it going on, Nicle?
Speaker 2: I'm bed you are listening to Wiken.
Speaker 1: And Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: We stumbled every time.
Speaker 1: I will literally fuck up the intro.
Speaker 2: Well, no, we we do fail. We usually get it good on the actual podcast, but anytime you start it, you're like, what do I do again?
Speaker 1: I know, I literally like, we're almost like approaching our one hundredth episode, and I'm like, what do I do?
Speaker 2: Which we are on? This is episode ninety eight?
Speaker 1: Okay, well just wait, let's just I might have e f this up to.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was like kind of pitiful, but.
Speaker 2: It worked you slightly like Crack the Seal a bit before you I was like, eek, yeah, so ninety eight, hey ninety eight, and which means on Halloween Week, our one hundredth episode will be aired.
Speaker 1: It's like we plan that or something.
Speaker 2: It's almost like we did.
Speaker 1: Oh we didn't.
Speaker 2: We certainly did not.
Speaker 1: That would have been amazing if we plan that, right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So Halloween weeks coming up, a whole ass week, seven days, awesome, great days of our podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we have a little schedule. We got it all laid out.
Speaker 2: We asked our patrons if they want to see the schedule. Surprisingly, they're like no.
Speaker 1: I think one person said yes, yeah, but it.
Speaker 2: Was overwhelming because I was like, I'm going to do a poll today if you guys want to know the schedule, and just everyone started commenting Nope, don't want to see it.
Speaker 1: And We're like, I was surprised because that one person that said yes, Like I would have said yes.
Speaker 2: As well, so I thought I would have too, But I guess everyone just wants to be surprised and just enjoy the Halloween week as it happens.
Speaker 1: Well, there aren't many. I just feel like I haven't said this to someone the other day. Actually, there's just not a lot of surprises in this world anymore that are like good.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Actually, so maybe people just need some of that in their life.
Speaker 2: Maybe. So while we're on the topic of patreons, we do is shout out our patrons joined us this week.
Speaker 1: Thank them. Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: So we had Jennifer Davidson, Samuel Elkins, Jacqueline Binzer, and Lexi Jordan all join us, all join us over on Patreon this week.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: So they're getting behind the scenes stuff, they're getting some extra episodes episode. Yeah, it's been a little bit quiet this past week as we work on the Halloween week, but we're making up for that during Halloween week because Patreon is getting some awesome stuff over there as well for Halloween Week two.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited. It's gonna be grand.
Speaker 2: It's going to be super grand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So what else are you going to talk about anything?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, we have a ton of photos that we have to publish too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely of our.
Speaker 1: Halloween stuff, we'd the run reel we did post was amazing. It was gosh, I watched that daily. It makes my day.
Speaker 2: Oh and I just thought of something else. I don't know if we knew this prior to last episode. If we did, we forgot to talk about it. But Kate Yup the Muckbang pod or YouTuber, posted another video.
Speaker 1: The other Yeah, you were just like shocked. I was, I should screenshot the text that you sent me.
Speaker 2: I was blown away. I was like, no fucking way. So that whole conspiracy just like blew up. There's new shit going on. I'm sure, havingt dove into it, but yeah, I know the internet's ranting and raven right now.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's a lot. I know. Even some people made comments about just like, oh she probably I wonder how she feels that she's on like true crime podcasts, and then also people not even believing that that's her, or commenting.
Speaker 2: About how how she's dressed looks.
Speaker 1: And from like what you can see of her.
Speaker 2: And yep, I did watch the video. She commented. She made some comments in captions because.
Speaker 1: She doesn't talk okay, so yeah, she doesn't talk to.
Speaker 2: About her tooth, her broken tooth. She made some little comments about that and stuff. So it's interesting. You should go check it out.
Speaker 1: I think I'm actually okay.
Speaker 2: Fair enough. You were obsessed with the case when I talked about it.
Speaker 1: Though I was a little bit, but also not with like watch the videos. Okay, understandable, but I you know, I honestly like hope that she's just good and she's fine and everything's fine, and it just.
Speaker 2: Ended up being a big conspiracy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that would be That would be what I would hope for.
Speaker 2: That's the ideal world. Yes, So should we get into it?
Speaker 1: You ready?
Speaker 2: I'm ready? What do you got for us?
Speaker 1: So today we're chatting about the sad story of Ruthie may McCoy, and so I'll probably refer to her most as ruth right as we chat here.
Speaker 2: You did post this on our socials to see if people can guess. Yeah, through some people for a loop, didn't it?
Speaker 1: I know, because I actually thought for some reason that they was like, so now I feel kind of like a jerk. It was like, someone doesn't get this in two minutes because I thought it was the easiest hint that we've almost ever put out for some reason. But I guess it wasn't because it is misleading. It's misleading because it can be other things, is the thing. So yeah, because some people guess bloody Mary and then some people guess candy man.
Speaker 2: But we've covered both those already, we.
Speaker 1: Have, and like because candy Man, like we were chatting, can be a few things.
Speaker 2: There's a few cases that kind of get.
Speaker 1: Referred to as candy Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is not that, but kind of candy man esque all at the same time.
Speaker 1: I'll touch on that on the end.
Speaker 2: I know, a little brief overview of this story, but not all the details. Some stoked here the details.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. So Ruth was born in Hughes, Arkansas, and was one of eight siblings. When she was young, her family moved to Chicago due to better work opportunities. Unfortunately, as it turned out, the opportunities did not turn out to be what they had hoped for, which is kind of like a grass ain't always greener thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Her father ended up working in coal wagons and would barely make enough to feed the family. But I mean the family, that's a fairly large family to.
Speaker 2: Feed, right, no kidding, I don't even want to like feed the dogs half the time. You eat too much food.
Speaker 1: Their doghood is expensive, like holy shit. So Ruth attended Phillips High School for a little more than a year, but she would quit school all together in the tenth grade. In her twenties, signs of mental health would begin appearing when she started the habit of talking to herself. She would also have unexpected outbursts of anger. Dang, so not great.
Speaker 2: Real quick side note, I do want to feed our dogs. You know that was just a joke.
Speaker 1: Just oh yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I know, I know. I just want to just throw that out there. I do want to feed our dogs. I don't know what to get you.
Speaker 1: Said, then I guess you said you don't even want to feed them somebody, I.
Speaker 2: Don't even want to feed them half the time, because it's oh, we.
Speaker 1: Joke about shit like that all the time. That I was just like, oh, that's just been joking.
Speaker 2: Love her dogs, want to feed them? Oh they're just expensive.
Speaker 1: People aren't aware on here that we're obsessed with our dogs. Then they haven't been listening to enough episode.
Speaker 2: True enough.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Ruth never married and she was twenty seven, but she did, however, become pregnant and was twenty seven when she gave birth to her only child, named Vernita. Unfortunately for them, though, Vernita's father did not end up sticking around, and this, rightfully so left a bitter taste or bitter like. Ruth was a bit bitter about men in general after this. Not all men are bad, but that that sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not all men are bad, that is for sure. Not everyone is like that.
Speaker 1: No, I would say most people are not like that. But still something like that happening to you, I could underderstand why you'd be like.
Speaker 2: He a dick, Yeah, definitely a dick.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so. Vernita would bounce back and forth from her relative's home and Ruth's home due to Ruth's mental illness issues and having to on occasion be institutionalized.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Her mental health issues were later diagnosed as being being a residual type of schizophrenia. Ruth worked many jobs, including as a housekeeper and law dream man attendant, but her mental health again prevented her from holding a job for any substantial amount of time, and much of her adult life was spent on financial assistance.
Speaker 2: Mental health can be such a fucking weight.
Speaker 1: Man, I know, and especially back then, like I think it every year, I feel like it gets a little bit better where people are more understanding of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're talking about it, vocalizing it.
Speaker 1: This was like, you know, seventies eighties kind of thing, and like so probably it was even harder for her to succeed in life having that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we just watched the Candy Man movie. Yeah's kind of loosely based on this. I'm sure you'll touch on that, but there was that one scene where the woman is like being strapped down in like a padded one. Oh yeah, because they said, like she's going.
Speaker 1: Crazy, i know, like literally her arms and legs strapped down, which like they just wouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, and then like injecting her with whatever. And it's like, probably it's dealt with a lot different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not having permission for doing any of that.
Speaker 2: Ugh.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in nineteen eighty three, Ruth's basement apartment in Humboldt Park flooded and she went about applying to the Chicago Housing Authority for emergency housing. She specifically asked not to be placed in a high rise project, as those places due to the violence they faced they terrified her. But due to a long waitlist for the row houses and walk ups. Unfortunately, this was the only option with an immediate opening.
Speaker 2: Huh no, I know.
Speaker 1: So in May of nineteen eighty three, ruth moved into a high rise building.
Speaker 2: I mean, at least she has a place that's definitely good there.
Speaker 1: It is, it is. It just would be really nice if it was a better place, because you'll kind of hear a bit more here. So it was a high rise building near Southside Chicago Housing Authority project known as ABLA. I think that's how you go about pronouncing that. It's an acronym. So it's a BLA for the names of the four different housing developments that together form one large site. So it's Adams, Brooks, Loomis, and Abbot and they total about four thousand units.
Speaker 2: Just shy of Wow, four thousands, that's sick a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, But I mean Chicago is a pretty big city, right, true. So Ruthie was in the Grace, the Grace Abbot development, and sorry, sometimes I referred to as ruth and sometimes I referred is Ruthie. For some reason, I went back and forth as I was doing this, but you get the gist. So she was in the Abbot development, which was a fifteen story brown y shaped tower rise and allegedly one of the most dangerous buildings in the a ABB but projects.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's where she got put.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, and so I'm probably gonna be referring to the more so as just the projects going forward. So the building so at described as dark with pitch black stairwells, and I'll just I don't have this written here, but this black stairwells is pretty much because they would replace the light bulbs often, maybe not often, but they get stolen. So like, the stairwells were literally always pitch black, which is terrifying.
Speaker 2: That's terrifying the issue whatsoever.
Speaker 1: And the elevators most of the time weren't working, so like shit, I mean, I guess you could just start carrying a flashlight.
Speaker 2: I yeah, but even still, I'm sure people are worried about their possessions getting stolen or maybe. I mean, in a development like that, I'm sure a lot of people may not have had the financial situation to even.
Speaker 1: Have a fast right, Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: And let alone if you have a flashlight, maintaining batteries.
Speaker 1: For it, because the next line here unpleasant people who do not have your best interest at heart, were like always lurking around the corner like you, Yeah, you had to watch your back. One article I read said you're crazy if you're not always looking over your shoulder. So just a really unfortunate place for Roo, and I can imagine many others. And they had no choice but to live there, right, And Ruth lived at the end of a corridor on the eleventh floor and her apartment was eleven or nine. So yeah, huh, I mean there's more I could describe about the places, but yeah, get the gist.
Speaker 2: Places like that they break my fucking heart. Man, Like people need housing, they really do, so they're forced into the situation, just like Ruth is yeap oh man. Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So being that Ruth was fifty three year old year old year old, oh god, oh my gosh. Okay, so she was like fifty three, Like so we've kind of progressed here in her life.
Speaker 2: Three years old.
Speaker 1: Fifty three years old.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: It's because I typed it fifty three years old, That's why I stumbled. But yeah, so, like, I mean, that's not old, but it's not like young either, to be living in a situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that's not young and spry. That's that's definitely old enough that whether you're in a good apartment building or a terrible one eleventh floor is not easy access exactly.
Speaker 1: So then she was also suffering from a mental illness where she was known to look disordered and would often curse at strangers. The project was not an ideal location for her to live. What she, however, did have on her side, though, was her size. She was not a small woman at the time of her death. She was five feet eleven and two hundred and fifty one pounds and knew how to fight, so you could say she could hold her own.
Speaker 2: Ruth is going to kick your ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you're saying, yeah, which is good. That's good, right because I think it was an article where her brother had commented that she knew how to fight or whatever.
Speaker 2: So fucking go, Ruth. I like this woman.
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, Ruth. So not long before Ruth's final days, she was in the process of trying to create a better life for herself. She started dressing better, and she tried to be kind to everyone around her. Neighbors had even seen her leave early in the mornings to go to school to retrieve her ged.
Speaker 2: Fucking everyone needs to be more like truth, just fucking kind.
Speaker 1: As shit, And she had even mentioned wanting to become a nurse, which I'm like at fifty three years old and you're thinking.
Speaker 2: That, like, yes, no kidding, that just bettering yourself and bettering your environment and bettering the world around you, honestly.
Speaker 1: She also became somewhat of a motherly figure for her neighbors at the projects.
Speaker 2: For fuck's sakes, I know, you're literally like breaking my heart right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really am.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: As an example, because you're in a lovery more, she would go about opening apartment doors and if they are unlocked, she would then like lecture caution her neighbors that they needed to lock their doors. I'm like, our kind woman, Like, oh my god, that's the best.
Speaker 2: Wow. She can teach a Canadian how to be polite. That's that's how good Ruth is. Let's say that so now.
Speaker 1: A reason that Ruth was starting to dress better was because in February of nineteen eighty seven, she went to seek psychiatric help and was approved to receive Social Security income as well as federal aid for the disabled. This help increased her monthly income from one hundred and fifty four to three hundred and forty so like doubled it really right. She also received a check for just shy of two thousand dollars, which was retroactive to when she applied. Of course, this excited her and it gave her hope this money would give her a chance to be able to move out of the projects. Yeah, and it may have. It just may have. But but first it put a target on her back, and this target led to her murder on April nine, nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 2: How did he put her target on her back?
Speaker 1: Well, the people were noticing, so, like she had some new clothes. Oh and like so I don't know if rumors went around or whatever, but people notice that she had some sort of money.
Speaker 2: It could even be like, oh, she's purchasing some nicer groceries this week. Yeahh wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, like it literally Okay, that's just enough to just make you want to saw BROLLI oh man, like if you think, if you think about it too hard, holy shit, my heart. Okay. So on April ninth, oh, this this gets worse, and I'm like, I don't even want to do this. Okay, it's on April ninth, at around aprilty five pm, Ruth herself made a call to nine oh one in a panic, stating, I'm a resident at one four four zero West thirteenth Street and some people next door are totally tearing this down, you know. The frantic woman being Ruth said, what are they doing? Ma'am? Asked the dispatcher. Ruth's response is basically incoherent on tape, but apparently the dispatcher caught her. Gist they want to break in. They yeah, they throwed the cabinet down. Dispatcher says from where Ruth says, I'm in the projects, I'm on the other side. You can reach can reach my bathroom. They want to come through the bathroom. The dispatcher, all right, ma'am, at what address Ruth? One four to four zero West thirteenth Street, Apartment eleven o nine. The elevators working And a little side note comment regarding the elephant elevators working is apparently authorities would come to the projects and if they found out the elevators were not working, instead of climbing the flights of stairs, say it went up to fifteen floors, they would often just leave. Really, yeah, so she's stating, like, help me, the elevators are working. WHOA yeah, I was like pissed when I read that.
Speaker 2: WHOA, Holy that.
Speaker 1: Is another heartbreaking thing. So dispatcher confirmed eleven o nine. All right, what's your name, ma'am? Ruth said Ruth McCoy. Dispatcher, all right, I'll send you the police. The dispatcher was not entirely certain what Ruth had been trying to say. They were unsure what she could have meant by they throwed the cabinet down and they want to come through the bathroom. But even so, the dispatcher assigned a twelve district car to answer a disturbance with a neighbor complaint at Ruth's address. However, not choosing to report the call as a break in attempt explains why the police had not arrived before another nine to one one call was actually made concerning apartment eleven o nine. The call came from a woman who said she had been walking through the hallway and her gunshots come from the apartment. Again, at around nine oh four, another neighbor called and had reported gunshot and yelling coming from apartment eleven o nine. Two more police cars headed to to the scene. You're good.
Speaker 2: No, fuck, I know, And I mean I'm I'm not faulting anyone in this situation because the choice to go disturbance or break an enter, it could that might be a fine line. I mean, of course you should have reported as breaking enter. But it's just.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, they get a lot of calls for these areas, and a lot of them apparently like aren't even legit exactly.
Speaker 2: So that's where my mind was going. So I'm not faulting the dispatcher whatsoever. No, and I'm not faulting the police whatsoever.
Speaker 1: You may at some point here though as.
Speaker 2: Of right now, I'm not. But the whole situation on being in that position where, for example, those false claims for example people the project situation as an entirety, paints this whole picture of poverty in people being subject to, for lack of better terms, the system, and it's just this domino effect that's breaking my fucking heart. Basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just like, it's just like a whole pile of shit, really, Like there's just no good here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So four police officers were said to have arrived at Rufe's door around ten minutes after nine, so they proceeded to pound on the door, announce their presence, and called out for Ruth. When they received no answer, they asked a dispatcher to attempt to call Ruth on her phone. We think somebody may be in there holding somebody, an officer informed the dispatcher over the radio. The officers listened to the phone ring and ring and ring. The two officers who were downstairs decided to drive over to the project office, which was only a block or so away, to retrieve a key to Ruth's apartment, but when they returned with the key, the key they received didn't fit Ruth's lock. This left the officers puzzled and wondering what to do. They were not sure if they should break into the apartment. Talking with neighbors did not help them much. No one across the hall seemed to answer. The apartment next door was vacant, and the neighbors in the apartment down the hall said they hadn't heard or seen anything.
Speaker 2: Snitches get stitches. It's probably the.
Speaker 1: Act exactly exactly. Other neighbors on the floor said. An elderly woman lived in eleven o nine. They say that she always answers her door. One of the officers told the dispatcher in a hesitant voice, and there's no answer, So I don't know if maybe she answered to the wrong person or what. The officers then contacted the project office again, but the janitor said she had no other or he or she said they had no other key for eleven o nine. So then at nine point forty eight pm the police left left.
Speaker 2: Fuck yeah.
Speaker 1: So the next evening, police received a call from Deborah lace Lacey, an eleventh floor neighbor of Ruth's. Deborah explained that Ruth had always stopped by her apartment on her way out of the building every morning and when she would return in the afternoon, but today she did not stop by at all. Deborah had seen police at Ruth's door the night before, and she grew worried. Later, nearly half a dozen police officers and four to five cha security so like the security of the housing, I'm pretty sure guards arrived at the apartment. Their knocks and calls for Ruth again went unanswered. A majority of the police officers thought they should break down the door to check on her, like duh right. The security guards discouraged them from breaking down the door, though, to check on Ruth. One of them mentioned the possibility of the tenant suing them if the police were to break in. Also, if you break down the door, the security guards told the police officers, you have to get someone here to like secure it. You can't leave this. This door just broken. So the police again shrugged and left. Okay, the amount of like candy and crackers and shit that are just shrubbing in my mouth as I was typing this up because this was stressing me out, like that is brutal. It is like brutal. Wow, it's hard to even know what to say there.
Speaker 2: You tell me the police don't have resources to get a door fixed.
Speaker 1: I know after breaking well, and there was so there was like half a dozen of them and four to five security people. So like one of them can stay, you'd think so the next day and this is day three at this point, good old Deborah, thank you. Deborah again notified the project office of her concerns. At about one pm, a project official arrived at Roofs Store with a carpenter who then drilled through the lock and lo and behold. Lying there, they found Ruth in the bedroom on her side in a pool of blood, with her hand over her chest. Thrown around on her floor were papers, magazines, and coins, and the police were notified. And when they arrived later and turned Ruth over slightly, a faint aroma of rotting flesh rose through the apartment. The smell gave the police reason to believe she had been dead since the first day they came to check on her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't fucking say, bra.
Speaker 1: Like, did the freak wow reports of the gunshots in the freaking goddamn apartment not give that away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would think so. Yeah, one of the officers in charge must have been named Carl, because not cool.
Speaker 1: Carl suit not cool. I just feel like more like, I mean, it almost seemed obvious that something was wrong in there.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely so.
Speaker 1: The medical examiner who performed the autopsy on Rufe's body stated that she had been shot four times, most likely with a gun of medium caliber. One bullet passed through her left shoulder, another passed through her left thigh, A third entered the right side of her abdomen, piercing her lever, and exited the left side of her abdomen. The fourth and fatal bullet passed through her upper right arm, then entered her chest and severed her pulmonary vein. The official cause of death was reported as internal bleeding.
Speaker 2: Geez. They weren't able to retrieve any bullets, by the sound of it, which could have been helpful as evidence.
Speaker 1: I don't know, yeah, nothing ever said anything about bullets actually, So Ruth was said to not have died immediately according to the examiner, but because of the injury to the pulmonary vein, which is like a main vessel in the lung, he doubts she did last long. So, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: She probably wouldn't have been saved regardless what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: Yes, so even if the police probably got to her and like rushed through the hospital, she probably would have died anyway, right. So she was later pronounced dead at Cook County Hospital at four thirty five pm on or Friday, April twenty fourth. So two men were arrested for Ruth's murder. They were both also residents of the projects, Edward Turner, who was nineteen, and John Honderas, who was twenty five, and it was theorized that the men were aware Ruth's knew monthly income and thought she had stashed it away in her apartment somewhere.
Speaker 2: Wow, like brutal eh, no kidding.
Speaker 1: So here's another kicker though, but how did these two men get into Ruth's apartment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this part I know.
Speaker 1: Did she just answer the door, as it was mentioned earlier to the wrong people. Well, the answer is no. These two individuals broke into Roof's apartment via the bathroom mirror.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Like horror movie material right there, one hundred percent literally, Yeah, and we'll talk about that shortly here. It was in nineteen eighty six, so a year prior to Rufe's deaths that the medicine cabinet break ins began, which is something I just never even.
Speaker 2: Knew existed until research.
Speaker 1: I feel like sad that someone has to be fearful of that. So apparently the pair of apartments at the end of each floor in the high rises have adjacent bathrooms. In between their medicine cabinets is a pipe chase of about two and a half feet. If you remove six screws from one mass medicine cabinet, pull the cabinet out of the wall, crawl through the pipe chase, and kick in the other cabinet, you're in the next apartment.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Like fucked.
Speaker 2: It's basically a window facing a window. You kick one in and kick the other out. You're in another apartment.
Speaker 1: Like that's insane to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in some areas of the building you can even climb vertically in the pipe chase to an apartment above or below the one you start in.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, that I didn't know.
Speaker 1: And people who live at the end of the corridor with a vacant apartment adjacent are particularly susceptible to this. Rus's building at the time of her murder was nearly thirty percent vacant, so there was a lot of like empty space, and I'm pretty sure the ones at the end were only the ones that had these adjacent mirrors. It wasn't like everybody in there. So often gangs would take over multiple apartments that connected, while keeping the bathroom cabinet open so they could move or like make fast getaways if police or security were to come after them.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: When the breaking started, some residents would pull their coaches in front of their bathroom door or secure their bathroom door knob with rope before turning in for the night. Oh the buildings were designed this way, with the pipe chases behind the medicine cabinets to provide the janitors with easy access to the plumbing. You know, no one in their right mind would have ever thought something like this would be happening, and not to.
Speaker 2: Uh, to give anyone credit for you know, breaking and entering into homes. But I mean, that's some clever shit to find that out and figure out how to use it for getaways and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But I feel like it has it would probably, I bet you anything, it was not smart or almost completely random someone doing some stupid.
Speaker 2: Oh, probably, but then like to take advantage of it for getaway purposes and stuff and like maze out through the apartment building and stuff like that. It's relatively clever. Let's say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, okay, okay, the last episode I said that someone was clever.
Speaker 2: And you're like, now, okay, how's this. I'm impressed with the engine, Not even the engine. I'm just impressed with the situation.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll take it. I'll take it.
Speaker 2: It's some like fucking mcguy ver shit. Give him a paper clip and a rubber band and see what he does. So.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, Ruth's murder did not receive a lot of media coverage. Many the theorized it was likely due to the fact that this happened to a black woman who had been living in the projects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most likely, who also.
Speaker 1: Was not one hundred percent mentally stable. So like, that's really unfortunate. Residents are blown away, knifed, kicked to death almost every week, and that number apparently increases in warmer weather. Two days after Rufe's body was found, unknown assailants used a stick and their hands and feet to beat to death a forty year old man who lived in an Abla row house. And three days after that, another murder took place outside of Rus's building, where a twenty five year old female was stabbed in the chest. Wow, so things like this were a weekly occurrence.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The story did gain some attraction when word got out that Roof's killers entered through a medicine cabinet, but this didn't shock many who lived in the high rises. The janitor said, you get desensitized by what goes on here every day. It's animalism over here. That's the prevailing life condition of the people. Animalism where you worry about those who are stronger and you care nothing about those who are weaker.
Speaker 2: Wow, those are some seriously heavy words.
Speaker 1: I know, so sad like and imagine his job is probably just terrifying, no kidding, being like having to work in that, I mean live and.
Speaker 2: Work in it.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's all this bad here. So to conclude, Ruth has spent a majority of her life living afraid and filled with paranoia. She had her locks changed a few times, hosing records show, and I think one of the time she did have them changed, she never gave them the key, which is why that key didn't work. She tried her best to fight her internal battles along with protecting herself from the exterior battles she was facing with her living situation. And when her life was taken off, taking off in a direction she had always hoped, her worst fears became a reality and she didn't deserve any of this.
Speaker 2: Fuck poor Ruth.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, which brings us to two other things that I wanted to mention and talk about. First, Candy Man. So I've probably going to get some slack for this, but I literally just watched this movie like right before we recorded for the first time. Yep, yeah, I don't know why. So it's a nineteen ninety two film that was actually redone last year in twenty twenty one, So now I want to watch that because we were actually original. So and remember when I said this was horror movie material, right, yep. Well, there are several parallels between Russ Murder and the movie, and I, yeah, I'll just go through these and then we'll chat about them after. So one being the fact that the film also takes place in Chicago in public hosting complex, and they did actually mention projects, they said the projects in the movie. And so while the horror flick references the Notaorus, I think they called it the Cambrina Green Complex in Chai toown, the real life murder took place at the Grace Abbot Home, which is not far from that. And the candy Man protagonist who investigates the site of the bathroom based killings in the movie, but friends a woman with a similar name to Ruth, and her name was Anne Marie McCoy, with Ruth's name May being Ruth May McCoy. So those are kind of the similars because that movie is like, when you look it up, it says it's based on something else, right, Yeah, but there there's a few things that you have to think that they took some reference from this case.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent did. And there's actually something you said earlier a couple of minutes ago reminded me because you said that Rufe's case didn't get much media coverage, most likely because she was a black woman and living in the projects. Right. In the Candy Man movie, Helen, the protagonist gets attacked while kind of investigating the area searching for the candy Man, and she says that she's getting coverage, but like, probably because she's a white woman. All these black people prior to her haven't been getting any coverage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because she pretty much like got instant and they caught.
Speaker 2: The people the perpetrator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did this to her instantly.
Speaker 2: Because she's white.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, so just just wrong, Like, and I do think that the they had to uptaken something from this. They had to. There's just too many little similarities that definitely it's not that's not a coincidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole Candy Man definitely not taken from. But the bathroom window actually the bathroom mirror, and like the project's settings and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent they definitely took at least like what would be the word influenced.
Speaker 2: I guess influenced or inspired by yeah so.
Speaker 1: And then the second is a TikTok video that went viral and parched twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: I heard about this, but I have no very little details, so I'm excited for this.
Speaker 1: It was interesting, so I did go about finding it. So I think, how did I think? I just went to TikTok and typed in Samantha heart shoe, So Samantha and then the last name is h A r T s o E. And so she went viral on TikTok when she posted a four part series where she discovered a hidden apartment behind her bathroom mirror, a whole ass apartment.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: She noticed a cool breeze blowing in her bathroom and like she shows in one of her videos, and just there was no window or working air vent, but and she had covered the like the the hole that the door knob, I don't even know what you call that would go in, like she thought it was coming through like the door frame of sorts, I guess. But then she was like, I can still feel it. And she showed her hairs like her hair was moving like there was a breeze, right, And so as she went about investigating, she removed the mirror from the wall and discovered a large hole, and like most people I think at that point would just like call the landlord and be like what the shit, but.
Speaker 2: Like fuck this shit out sort.
Speaker 1: Of thing, like suit it up and went in there.
Speaker 2: Matt the balls. She must have like that.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know if I would be even to do that, Like that's a little terrifying. But she did have a friend over when she did this, which is a good thing I think.
Speaker 2: And then my first word would be getting spiders in my beard.
Speaker 1: She like she wore a mask and then she had like some sort of makeshift like headlamp thing. So yeah, she'm where am I here? I'm like all over the place because I'm kind of just like reliving those videos in my head. So then she goes through the space and then literally like it was running through this whole abandoned apartment. Wow, that's like no one's living in there, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just like is it furnished or empty?
Speaker 1: Empty? Pretty much like it's it's literally the most bizarre thing in the whole world. But then one of the lock, like the lock it was unlocked, So then you see in the video like she locks it. I'm just like at that point, i'd be like, I'm just so done here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So her video obviously is being compared to Candy Man and Rufe's murder, right, So, like I said, she's seen locking this abandoned apartment behind that's behind her mirror, and then she obviously goes back into her own apartment and then says she's like I'm gonna be calling my landlord kind of thing. But I think like the moral of the story here is along with locking your doors and windows, you now have to be concerned about what maybe lurking behind your motherfucking bathroom mirror. Like I'm just like I can I'm done. I'm like tapping out at this point here. We're just not safe. We're not safe.
Speaker 2: It's like the hide your kids, hide your wife thing, but it's like lock your door, lock your window, lock your mirror.
Speaker 1: Like Okay, I'm I know I'm safe in my tiny home because like our mere medicine cabinet thing is on the exterior wall. But like every hotel I go into now, dude, like I'm fucking checking, like I'm gonna have to check, like this is fucked just gonna.
Speaker 2: Be going around looking for a breeze or what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and seeing if I can pull off the medicine cabinet. Just I'll probably end up like damaging something, no kidding.
Speaker 2: But just don't say candy man and all times when you do.
Speaker 1: It, yeah candy Man or Helen Candyman? Am I allowed to say that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So yeah, there you go. That's this case. This case is is sad. It's it's very interesting and like the things the show and now this viral TikTok thing, because you're kind of like, oh that, like does that actually exist? But it's like still exists.
Speaker 2: Can we put it in the show notes, like a link to the TikTok videos? Do you have a link or can we link it? I don't know. If we can link it, we'll put it down below, I think so.
Speaker 1: But she does like you just have to search. I'm pretty sure I'll you just search her name and then like she has them pinned, so she has the three first ones pinned and then you don't have to scroll very far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if if we can find it like a YouTube video.
Speaker 1: Or something, yeah, actually, yeah, there's because she was on Ellen. She went on Ellen, Oh yeah, you mentioned that so maybe we can find a link of that. So yeah, like, honestly, I guess check your bathroom mirrors and I'll leave you with that.
Speaker 2: I have another request, Yeah, can we make Ruth the badass of the day for how kind she was trying to be and how positive she was trying to make the world around her?
Speaker 1: I know, like she wasn't. I don't believe she was really always that way, but she really had at one point, I think, decided to change her life and she was going about doing that.
Speaker 2: She was trying. She was in a desperate situation and she was trying, and that takes a lot of strength to even just try.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Yeah, she needs to be because this is so sad.
Speaker 2: So official, I'll let you name it.
Speaker 1: Yep, Ruth is the badass of the day.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Yeah, well well done in that episode? Could that My fucking heart broke for Ruth that whole time? It was like slowly just falling to pieces. So thank you for that. Yeah, much appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, gosh, what you do to me? So sleep with that? That's always your response, Sleep.
Speaker 2: With the Yeah, we got a lot more coming up next week for Halloween week, like I said, seven whole days in a row, epic stuff coming down the pipe. And even if you want to check out the more extra content that'll be over on Patreon, you can check it out there. We also have other social media like Facebook, Instagram. We have a website, you name it, so go check it out all links down below. Yeah, even if not, you appreciate you still, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And get excited because next week, like Tuesday to Monday, right, Tuesday to Monday.
Speaker 2: Tuesday Monday, yeah, so that our normal Tuesday. Yeah, on the which is November one, we won't be posting that day because the whole.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're gonna be able to get caught up on the seven days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we need to catch up on sleep on that November first day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But honestly, until then, stay wicked