Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsor as simply Save Home Security. We all promise to digital detox on August vacation, but you can't actually unplug if you're anxiously checking your security camera feeds on your pool side. Simply Safe let's you put the phone down because you know live agents are helping to watch the perimeter. Unlike traditional security systems that only alert you after a break in is already underway, simply Safe is designed to help stop intruders before they get inside. Smart aipower at outdoor cameras to text suspicious activity at the perimeter and alert live US based agents to step in. Simply safes agents assess the threat, intervene through the outdoor camera to scare off trespassers, and call for nine to one to one dispatch. Our CEO recently had a simply Safe system installed in her home. The installation was quick and easy, and the system was up and running in no time. All of the components have worked smoothly. The app is easy to use. It gives the family total peace of mind to see who's dropping by, or you can easily chat with visitors through the camera even when you're away. Simply Safe has been protecting the world for twenty years. Simply Safe has been protecting your world for twenty years. Celebrate their anniversary with us and save sixty percent on your new simply Safe system at simplysafe dot com. Slash crook it at sixty percent off at simplysafe dot com slash crooked plus when you order right in our show name in the how did you hear about a survey to let them know we sent you.
Speaker 2: Don't forget there's no safe bike.
Speaker 3: Simply Safe. Welcome to Plot Save America. I'm Jon Favreau, I'm Dan Pfeiffer. On today's show, Donald Trump catches a ride on a catering truck to escape the Iranians who are trying to kill him and or cause him to lose the midterms, which ever comes first. We'll also talk about how your tax dollars are being used to buy brand new gloves for ice agents that can deliver an electric shock to anyone they touch. That is true. Also a wild story about DHS spying on everyone from labor union and climate groups to random citizens just because they can. Then, with the last of the major contested primaries behind us in Wisconsin and Minnesota, we'll talk about why the polling was so far off and why that won't stop us from speculating about November. Finally, we'll bid a fond farewell to White House pre Secretary Caroline Levitt and compare our rankings of who we think is most likely to get the job next. Can't wait to hear your.
Speaker 2: List, Dan, it's really outside the box.
Speaker 3: I like that. I like that. One quick note before we start, Friends of the Pod Tickets for this year's Crookeet Con are going fast. They're going even faster than last time I said they were going fast.
Speaker 2: Just by the time you hear this, they could be gone.
Speaker 3: You're going to want to go to cricketcon dot com to grab yours if you haven't already, and of course, if you're not yet a subscriber discounted Cricket Con tickets. That's just one of many reasons to become a subscriber. You'll also get ad free episodes of all your favorite Crooked shows, plus subscriber only shows like Coaster with Dan Pfeiffer.
Speaker 2: That's the main reason to do it, That is the main for many people.
Speaker 3: We also have a secret episode of Podsave America, an extra episode that we do behind the paywall, so you can you can check that out as well terminally online. Very funny and UH and all of our great substack newsletters. And you get to be supporting UH proudly pro democracy independent media. So what are you waiting for? Head to Crooked dot com slash friends to join today? All right, they're starting to use the Q word to describe Trump's disastrous war in Iran. You know what the Q word is, Dan.
Speaker 2: There are all kinds of jokes I was going to make, but none of them seem to work. So I'm just going to go with the right answer. Is it quagmire?
Speaker 3: It is. That's the headline and one of the most read Politico stories of the week. The Iran war is a whole new level of quagmire for the US. Both Trump and the Iranians are claiming that they're in control of the Strait of Horror moves, which can't be true, and the strait remains functionally closed. I think only fourteen vessels went through yesterday. Gas prices are higher than they have ever been at this time of year in the United States ever in history. The war also continues to deplete our military. The Washington Post reports that we've lost about a quarter of our supply of Reaper drones, we're using up our limited supplies of both Patriot and Tomahawk missiles, and some of our service members have been deployed so long that on the USS Abraham Lincoln, which is an aircraft carrier that's been in the Middle East since November, several of the five thousand sailors and marines on board have tried to jump overboard due to the stress and horrible conditions. That's according to both the Military Times and Stars and Stripes. But nothing better illustrates just how badly Trump is getting his ass kicked by the Iranians than the story of how our president was forced to hide in a catering truck and board a secret plane to escape at tent assassination threat involving Iranian proxies in Turkey launching surface to air missiles at Air Force One. When Trump was asked why it was too dangerous for him to fly on Air Force One but not any of the reporters and White House officials who weren't told they were flying home on a potential target, the President said, the dumbest thing possible, I.
Speaker 2: Think actually the plane that I flew on was at greater risk.
Speaker 3: I think it was because that would be the plane. I think that way that they would be more likely to go for it. Fucking idiot. Yeah yeah, yeah, they'd be more likely to go for the plane you were on, of course, which is why they tried to put you on another plane that they didn't know about. You, fucking moron. Yes, I don't know why I say that in such a shocked way, but like that is it's just like new levels of Trump being a dipshit. Yeah, what did you make of the whole the catering KRT caper? Uh?
Speaker 2: On one hand, it is very very funny that he hid in a cavering cart, that he flew home on a secret plane, that he hand picked the people who would survive with him, like Pete Haigseth and the woman who prints all of his documents.
Speaker 3: But he sent Dance Marbino is former caddy.
Speaker 2: And Daniz Scavito. But he's then he sent Marco Rubio to die with the press.
Speaker 3: And Marco Rubio was the only one on that other plane who knew what was happening. Scott Bessett was with Marco Rubio, none the wiser.
Speaker 2: And it's there's no protocol here for the reasons like maybe hag Seth, you could possibly fabricate some reason. But the fact that he picked Dan Scavino and Natalie Harp the once again the woman who follows him around and prints his documents for him, were the ones who got seats in the life raft and Marco Rubio didn't. It should be a real tell to Marco Rubio. Also, how do you eve impress this information? You get luked in and you're like, which way to Trump's plane? They're like, you didn't make the cut?
Speaker 3: I mean, well, or what were they? What did they Where did they think Trump was?
Speaker 2: I mean they just assumed he was in his cabin I assume.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean I know that's what the reporters thought. But I was wondering about the like Scott Bison just sitting there, has no idea with his buddy, Mark Rubio has no idea. He's just a sitting duck for me.
Speaker 2: Normally you would see the president walk up well, I guess they saw him walk up the steps. And there are plenty of times we've been on the plane when we used to fly on it where the president would just be in their cabin and we would be seated where we would sit, which is not in his cabin. You would have no idea until the plane landed and he did not walk down the front steps.
Speaker 3: Who do you think was making it in the secret plane with Barack Obama? Definitely wasn't me.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It might have been you quick, I need a speech.
Speaker 2: Well, how's that? We would have done it by actual protocol and not by who he likes most. There is like a more serious thing to this, which is.
Speaker 3: That the Iranian proxies in Turkey were potentially going to take down Air Force One. Yeah, that's a well I mean.
Speaker 2: That, yes, that that, But there's something like this probably sounds really quaint in like the dystopian, fucked up world we live in, But there is just something terrible about the fact that the president lied to the press, lied to the country to hide a threat to himself. No one knew where he was. He could have that plane could have landed anywhere in the world and no one would have ever known. And the only reason we know about this now is because the Washington Post did some really great reporting, Like, there is a world where obviously his security, the president security, whether trumpettying else comes first, so you could I understand the ruse. I don't really understand why you would take Air Force one off, you would just fly the other plane that they don't think he's.
Speaker 3: On, right, It definitely seemed like there was a need to protect Trump, even if it was now we should say too. Since this story was first reported, there's been more reporting that suggests that this intel about a potential assassination plot came from Israel, from the Israeli government, and then the CIA. Our CIA judged it as low confidence, meaning they didn't think it was They didn't think it was like a serious, serious threat, but clearly they thought it was serious enough to put the president in a catering cart and send him on a separate plane.
Speaker 2: It's not probably not surprising that Israel's one who told this to Trump, because if you read Regime Change, the Maggie Haram of Jonathan Swan book, like one of the themes in there, and Maggie talks about this interview with Ezra Klein a few weeks ago, is that Trump is securely obsessed with the idea that Ron wants to kill him, and so you tell Trump Aron wants to kill you at the same time, you're trying to keep Trump fully focused on the war in Iran.
Speaker 3: It's not a bad idea, right because that, Yeah, Bibi did not want him to reach any kind of peace agreement, clearly, So yeah, I thought it was. I thought it was. So it's wild to me that, like it's one thing to protect the president, it's another thing to unnecessarily put the rest of the people on Air Force one in danger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just hold there for us one on the ground. You take the president, let him fly on this other plane. No one knows what is right, and then after he lands, you say Trump has landed, the Iranians know he's on the plane. Then you fly the other plane.
Speaker 3: Home, right, and we're not in the CIA. We're not in secret service to the CIA. You know, we could figure that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean, it's it's crazy. It's also crazy they didn'tell anyone afterwards. Like that's also no, that's the well, yes, thank you. That is the biggest problem. Like you could do this whole thing and then once everyone lands be like, oh, by the way, this happened and we couldn't tell you at the time or whatever whatever, But like that is it's wild that it had to be broken by the Washington Post and that the administration subpoened New York Times reporters for the leak about them not taking the new Katari Force one home because it didn't have like the right defensive maneuver capabilities that they might need if if proxi's on the ground were eating surfaced air missiles at Air Force one Like this is entirely a hypothetical. You just want to point this out there. But in a world in which oh is right, In a world in which the president can get on a secret plane without the press and have no one know where he is, that plane can land anywhere. It could land on Epstein Island theoretically, Oh.
Speaker 3: My god, you're really looking for a viral clip, aren't you.
Speaker 2: I did not want a viral clip. I did not want this posted. I did not tell the social body I want this posted. I'm making a point just to our listeners, the people who tune into this podcast, that I'm just using the extreme example to make a point that if when the press is not with the president, the president can do lots of things we don't know what are. He could have stopped in the UAE and cut a crypto deal.
Speaker 3: He could have He could have stopped in Moscow to hang out with his friend Vladimir.
Speaker 2: Pele could he could have picked up the P tape.
Speaker 3: He could have picked up the P tape.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, all these things were possible protocol.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, bigger picture, there's new reporting this week that around is tracking Trump's political problems very closely. I guess they're just they're looking at the looking at the RCP average to the silver bullets and Trump apprual rating, and they're looking to continue pushing negotiations far off past November so that the so that Trump pays a maximum price in the midterms seems like a if we're just going by political strategy, it does seem like a smart strategy on Iran's behalf.
Speaker 2: Now, on Ourn's part, Yeah, I mean, there's no question that they are correct to understand that Trump has very very little leverage during election season because the things that would allow the sort of military maneuvers that would allow him to gain an upper hand over the straight over Iran would raise gas prices in a way which would hurt his party in the midterms. So that they figured that out. Now, I think the question for Iran is what happens when Trump does and know what Trump cares about has to face the voters for two years. Like, if you're counting on Democrats to pass a War Powers resolution to stop the war, I don't think they're getting to a vet a proof majority of that.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Could a democratic Congress make it harder to fund the war? Possibly, but this idea. But Trump may feel this is bad. I'm honistic believe this is bad.
Speaker 3: But it's not.
Speaker 2: Clear to me that Trump. Well it's not clear to me, and maybe it probably shouldn't be clear the Rdians what Trump does after the midterms.
Speaker 3: Well after let's talk about what's after the midterms. It is the beginning of the twenty twenty eight presidential race, and you've got presumably jd. Vance who wants to be president, maybe Mark or Rubio, maybe both of them together. And so there is an incentive at that point for the administration to finally give Iranians what they want, to get this off the table so that they don't win the war or win Well, how are they going to do that? I mean, that's ultimately what Iran is trying to forestall right now is more true? Like not that I think any of these things are going to happen per se. But like Trump taking carg Island, for instance, one of the things that was on the table earlier doesn't happen the midterms. Could that happen in twenty twenty seven? Maybe Trump launching all the other bombing. Yeah, like those sorts of things like the right now, Trump won't use the military stick against Iran to the extent he has the capacity to do so. Because of gas Price's election in the calendar year of twenty twenty seven, he is relieved of that political the restraining nature of politics potentially. So I don't The thing is, I don't know when Iran doesn't know either, said like this works in the short term, what happens in the medium and long term, who the hell knows. Yeah, horrible story though about the Jesus Christ to USS Lincoln and all those soldiers, and you know, the families have been described being like moldy showers and broken toilets and shortages of hot water and food. They've been trying to like figure this out. These the sailors and marines have been sending messages like just to and then of course someone asked Phigxeth today about it, and he's like, Oh, it's all overblown, overblown. I respect all these guys. They're great, they're doing a great job. It always always makes me feel bad that we talk about the war purely in terms of gas prices and oil prices because of the effect that it's having on politics here. But it's also like there's a lot of fucking US forces deployed in the Middle East who are in harm's way and who are also just have been away from their families forever and for what, for what?
Speaker 2: And the military did not prepare for this. Hence the conditions on the ships. Yeah, because they know they'd never believe, because they gave this zero thought that many many months later, they'd still be in a conflict with Iran.
Speaker 3: Missile stockpile estimates are that it won't recover until twenty thirty. That's a whole other thing, Like God forbid someone else at taxes. There's another war, Like we're not going to be ready at all because we have now depleted all of our military. We've sent soldiers for long, long deploy deployments. We don't have missiles and drones and all that kind of all those capabilities because of this stupid fucking war. It is it Like I kind of think that this is what do you think about like Democrats, like how they handle this over the next couple of months between now and the midterms, because to me, it seems like it is the main issue and it's not your use. It's like it combines both forever wars, which people hate, and it's causing high prices, which people hate. So it's like I feel like the whole you could run the whole campaign about Trump's disastrous war and what it's doing to prices and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it should be the centerpiece of the campaign. It's obviously it's best when tied to affordability, right, gas prices and that. You know, like one of the messages tested is the you know, they told us there wasn't enough money for health care and food assistants, but now we have money. We have billions of dollars for bombs in the Middle East and for wars abilities like that tests very well, it is, you know, so I think absolutely hammer Democrats should have no fear. There's a lot of sort of anxiety at the outset of this that what if we get on the wrong side of the conflict. And you know, we and we must begin every statement with a long throat clearing about how bad the Mullas and around are like. We don't like we were past that this is an incredibly unpopular war. It goes at affordability, It goes at Trump's incompetence, it goes at Trump's weakness, it goes to the chaos of his leadership style, and I think, really importantly, it goes to the broken promises. And when you see this in both focus groups and then in polling of people who regret who voted for Trump who were now disapprove of him, one of the top things that comes up is that he broke his promises. And one of those big promises is the war, which is tied to the other big promise, which is lowering prices.
Speaker 3: Right. Today's show is sponsored by Strawberry dot me. Have you ever written a review about a product or service you've used? It takes an extraordinary experience, either overwhelmingly positive or deeply disappointing, for someone to take the time to write a review. Strawberry dot Me's positive reviews speak for themselves, proving why professionals rely on the platform for certified career coaching. Not just a few reviews, there are literally hundreds of them at Strawberry dot me slash Reviews, all unfiltered and glowing. Here's a sample review from a Strawberry dot Me client. Christa is an incredible, thoughtful, positive coach. She helped me build my confidence and voice, back up, revise my resume, navigate an industry change, and become more intentional in my job search. Highly recommend. Review after review tells the same story. My coach was amazing, the experience was transformative, and I landed a new job within weeks. When so many people take the time to leave positive reviews, it is clear the product is something special. So if you're feelings stuck at work, do what tens of thousands of people have already done. Go to strut me slash crooked and claim fifty percent off your first coaching session. That's Strawberry dot Me slash Crooked pod Save America is brought to you by Sundays. Is your dog a picky eater? It's surprisingly stressful. You wish they could tell you the problem.
Speaker 1: Maybe if they could, your dog would say they know the difference between processed brown pellets and real food. Sunday starts with eighty percent plus all natural meats and then add superfoods like kale, ginger and blueberries. No filler, no nutritional blends, no chemicals, just simple, complete nutrition. And even if your dog doesn't know why they don't like their food because they're a dog that would eat cheese out of a diaper, you still want them to have good quality food as well. And Sunday's just launched a brand new fish recipe. It's made with eighty percent whole in mint fish, including eco friendly invasive carp source from America's rivers for a naturally rich flavor. In fact, do you know that many dogs naturally prefer fish flavors, especially carp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they love that.
Speaker 3: They love that carb food? Is that car?
Speaker 2: Is that invasive carp? Is this carp that was jumping into people's boats in Michigan? I love it.
Speaker 1: Plus, it's packed with Omega three, fatty acids help support healthy skins, shiny coats, joints, and brain function. It's complete and bowels nutrition for all life stages. I sprinkle it on my own dinner. Share your dog's experience with the food.
Speaker 3: They loved it.
Speaker 2: I think it's hard to tell.
Speaker 3: But she ate it. She's a dog. Leo loves it.
Speaker 1: Leo loves Sundays for Dogs, beats.
Speaker 3: It right down. Wait, boy, does his coat look shinier.
Speaker 1: Shiny as hell? Sort of reflected the light you like to block your eyes? Make the switch to Sundays. Go right now to Sundays Fordogs dot com slash crooked to get fifty percent of your first order. Or you can use the code crooked at checkout. That's hutwy percent of your first order at Sundays for Dogs dot com slash crooked. Sundays for Dogs dot com slash crooked, or use code crooked at checkout.
Speaker 3: Speaking of unpopular, we haven't checked in on ICE in a while, and it won't shock you to hear that the news is really bad. Here's what will shock you. Apologize for that.
Speaker 2: That's just the well, do the joke and then apologize.
Speaker 3: The new electric gloves ICE plans to spend twenty million dollars on so that agents and deliver a painful jolt to whoever they touch, rendering the person powerless to move or even stand. Uh. And now Tom Homan, you know he was on Fox talking about this is uh, this is uh, this is you know, we don't want to shoot everyone now, so we're trying this is supposed to be de escalation. This is a de escalation, right. Here's a compilation of the gloves being put to use from some of the videos that were circulating on Twittered, like a little girl and pee myself, go back with your glove, hid your hand, your hands, we're trying to get his hands out. Fucking insane.
Speaker 2: A bunch of a bunch of men to shocking each other for.
Speaker 3: Fun, I know, yeah that right, Yeah, there's a whole separate conversation. The manual this this that this company that makes the product that they put out. The manual says no more than two gloves on one person, generally, no more than fifteen seconds, never against verbal defiance, never as punishment, and not on the elderly, children, pregnant women, or people with serious disabilities. Guess what Ice has done already, like violated all of those things with how it has handled people before the gloves and the people that it has assaulted, injured, detained, and so I don't know, I think this is fucking awful.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's just so ridiculous that Tom Homan's he like, it's a binary choice. Well, look, we have only two options. We can kill them in the street with our guns, or we can electrocute them. Those only two things, guys, you pick, you choose electrocution or bullets.
Speaker 3: Also, this is one that leaves not a lot of evidence. And so the idea that ICE is just going to be roaming the streets and if they see someone who they don't like what they said, they you know, sort of made fun of Ice or criticize them whatever, they can just walk over and just put hands on them and shot them and then like, no one's gonna know, I mean, like whose word against who's. It's just it's the potential for abuse on this one is vast.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is very, very true. And as Elijah pointed out a production meeting today, it's only a matter of time till one of these ICE guys goes pee with the gloves on.
Speaker 3: In this administration, that will almost certainly happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's wearing.
Speaker 3: And also with the kind of people they're recruiting now with ICE, yes, is people who meet no standards whatsoever. Meanwhile, there's been a new uptick in terrifying videos of people being confronted by ICE agents. On Monday, a massed agent pointed a gun at a US citizen named Carolina Molina at a shopping center in Virginia. ICE in DHS accused her of trying to run them over with her car, an assertion that's not all backed up by the video evidence. Afterwards, Molina told The Washington Is that it felt like a renee good situation. Here's some of that scene, as well as other recent ICE confrontations that are making the rounds almost over. Stop, full of stop, you are full of ship. You're not funny. You're not funny.
Speaker 2: I will arrest you.
Speaker 3: Keep it up.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: The Domingo family self recording the tense moments when border patrol pulled them over Sunday afternoons, the couple complying with the officers orders, then hugging during this emotional goodbye when separated from their five children and detained.
Speaker 3: I know, there's like not a lot of new things to say about this because it's just horrific, But I think it is worth noting that it is still happening. It is happening all over the place. ICE has not de escalated at all. They are still trying to uh meet Steven Miller's dumb fucking quotas. Mark Waynemullen, the new DHS secretary, is already in trouble with like MAGA activists and the bass. You know, Laura Lumer and Steve Bannon already have said he should be fired because you know, he's not detaining and arresting and deporting enough people. So he's already feeling pressure to be even more aggressive in order to keep his job. So this is all happening still, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's just the only thing that has changed is they're not sitting out a press release before they do it, right. They're not inviting this, They're not inviting the MAGA influencers along for it. They're not inviting the Fox News crews. They're just doing it and hoping no one videotapes some when it happens.
Speaker 3: Did you see I heard I heard Tim Miller talk about this in the Bulwark pod, the letter in the Nation that this woman wrote. She is so this Iranian family there have green cards, legal residents, a couple of professors. Yeah, they're the husband and wife for professors, and uh and then they have a child as well. And because the husband is the son of a woman who was an Iranian official during the hostage crisis. I believe she was the spokesperson during the hostage crisis in nineteen seventy nine, and her son and his family moved to the United States, became college professors, had a kid, our permanent legal residents, and because like people online decided to make an issue of their association with Iran, then the state department just decided to on their own revoke their visas. They picked up the husband. They also picked up the wife and the child, and they separated them and they have shipped them to Texas where they've been in detention facilities for the last four months, four months with like just just holding them, holding the hostage for no reason, no due process, not even deporting them, not doing anything, just jailing them just because of an association of family member because some fucking idiot online decided to call them out.
Speaker 2: So it's just the whole thing is so just gross and morally bankrupt.
Speaker 3: I don't like I get that this won't be you know, I think when Minnesota is happening, we probably thought maybe this would be a big issue in the midterms. I'm guessing it will not be as big of an issue in the midterms, but is the best play here. The Democrats have to just hope we get Congress back, be able to conduct some kind of oversight over ice hold hearings, subpoena officials and documents, and then just change everything if a Democratic president wins, like it doesn't what else can people do at this point?
Speaker 2: So you're right that this is not going to be the biggest issue in the midterms, and it probably shouldn't be. The voters we need care about immigration. They absolutely do, but it's not their top issue, but it's not as complicated as I think a lot of people make it. Trump is eleven points underwater on immigration right now. This is it's not an issue of strength for him. He doesn't win by shifting the issue terrain to immigration. It doesn't help him. The videos like this hurt him when you track his approval rating drops since twenty twenty five. Some of the biggest ones happened during first the Kilmar Abrigo Garcia Seacott stuff in the Springs twenty twenty five, and then after the killings of Alex Preddi and Renee Good in January of twenty twenty six. So it matters when these things come up, So no one should shy away from talking about it. Absolutely not. It's also worth pointing out to voters that once again, not only as ice bad, but we gave ice seven hundred billion dollars and we paid for it by cutting health care and food assistants. Like that's what the priority is. People don't like that, but when we so let's say we get to we get a majority, right, and we'll talk about the prospects for that later in the show. People should be realistic. We cannot we cannot realistically abolish ice, but we can hold hearings. We can, you know, shine a light on this. There can be accountability. We also have if we have the House and the Senate. But even if we have just the House, we have real leverage and budget negotiations if Democrats are willing to use it.
Speaker 3: So the one challenge on that one is because they passed so much ICE funding through reconciliation, like they could shut down the government. I mean we went through this right, Like, yeah, the Democrats could theoretically like shut down the government if we control Congress again, or hold up the whole budget over ICE funding. But because they have so much funding left over from reconciliation, like they can still do everything they want to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, we're right back in the same spot. But you can you could. You have a couple options here. One is you can take I hate to use this terminology, but you can take a different hostage and the ransom is changes in Ice. Other things Trumps want, right, you cannot give them. You can shut down the whole government of you can put real pressure on them once again, Ice has money, Like, there is a limit to what you can do here up until the moment you have a trifecta where well you you if we have a trifecta, you can do the following things. One, you can take that money and redirected elsewhere. You could with a trifecta abolish Ice in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, if we have a democratic president, then you do all those things. But yes, but for the next it'll be even winning back Congress, it'll be hard for the next two years to do anything outside of threatening to shut down the government over over Ice. But you know, like you said, take a different hostage, or probably the most likely path is to hold all kinds of hearings and oversight.
Speaker 2: And you can get I mean, which will hopefully sort of till the ground for the battles to come when you have the trifecta, but you can't like some of the policy changes we did not get in this time, you can make another run at in eight.
Speaker 3: I also think it's worth saying that just from a and we talk about about politics and campaigns and what's most likely to help win an election. But when these stories are in the news, and when public officials, whether their local, state or national talk about them and lift up the stories, like the politics are bad for the Trump administration. Usually when they are, when Donald Trump's approval ratings in the shitter, he turns to immigration to try to get his mojo back. And it is telling that they have chosen, you know, the democratic socialist communist threat over immigration this time around, because they just went through a cycle back. I don't know when it was earlier this year, last year, when their immigration agenda was underwater and became pretty unpopular. Not as unpopular as how he handles cost of living or jobs or any or through around war, but still unpopular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not an advantage for him anymore, which is a huge change in the huge firmament.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right. This week's Democratic primaries were one of the last contests before the midterms. A week after Abdul Elsaiya defeated the establishment back to Hailey Stevens by just under a point in the Michigan Senate primary, the more moderate David Crowley eked out an upset over Democratic socialist Francesca hang in the Wisconsin gubernatorial primary. In Minnesota, the more progressive Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan beat Congresswoman Angie Craig by twenty points. In Connecticut, the center left mayor of Hartford, Luke Bronan, knocked off seventy eight year old Congressman John Larson, making him making Larson the seventh House Democrat to lose a primary this year and the fifth past his retirement age. Twenty twenty six is now tied with twenty twelve. Is the worst year for Democratic incumbents in primaries this century. When you step back and squint at all the primary results this year, do they tell to you any kind of cohesive story about Democratic voters and the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: It's complicated, but yes, if you look at all the results, all the ones we've had all of the DSA wins, the incumbents who got elected, the combants who got defeated. I think you can take a couple of things from this. One Democrats are furious that Donald Trump's president. Two Democrats are incredibly skeptical and distrustful of their own leaders, their own institutions, and the way the party has done politics in the past. Democrats are incredibly fired up about voting. They are turning out in huge numbers, Like in Wisconsin. This is a statistic blew me away. Nearly two hund and fifty thousand more people voted in this Wisconsin primary than in twenty eighteen, the year of the big Blue Wave.
Speaker 3: I know that's wild.
Speaker 2: Now, what I think is, when you look at all of this, it sort of belies the overly simplistic narratives that people who talk about politics wiliving and tries to gm this through DSA vers centrists, left first, right institution versus anti institution, even generational like. It's a lot of these races. And the thing is, the Wisconsin and Michigan races come by. If eighteen thousand votes between the two of them had gone a different way, we would have been like DSA is dead. Long live the moderates or or like go comrade socialists have one and it's all more complicated, and voters looked at it and made decisions, and there was some local factors in all of them. I think the one thing that is true is that voters are looking for fresh faces, and those fresh faces are often younger. And we saw that and all the incumbents you mentioned, it is a fresh face who has come in and beating them in almost always a younger one. And you know, and I think that that, like the Democratic voters are done with the gerontocracy.
Speaker 3: To your point about how many more voters are participating in this year's primaries versus twenty eighteen, or at least in Wisconsin, is part of that that people who usually just vote in a gener roal election but not a primary are now voting in a primary. I thought I saw somewhere that like just the interest is so high that even a lot of normy Democrats quote unquote who usually just turn out in a general but not a primary, are now like interested enough and engage enough that they want to participate in the primary.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's definitely happening. Wisconsin is particularly impressive. You have to run out because Wisconsin's one of the highest turnout states in the country. But yeah, I think the stakes of these primaries feel very high to people because I think there is a real question about where our party is going, and people want to have a say in that. So they are turning out and it like it does. It felt that way, Wisconsin felt that way, in Michigan in these races. It's certainly I think that to the people in New York City in those races, or in the Colorado one, it felt that way where it's like, our party is going to go one of two ways, and I want to have a say in which way it goes, because the direction we choose is going to matter, not just in the twenty twenty six but in twenty twenty eight and beyond.
Speaker 3: Podzave America is brought to you by ZipRecruiter. With everyday interactions becoming increasingly impersonal, someone going just one extra step can be huge, Like when my doctor takes the time to call me with test results instead of sending them electronically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gay, came in, John, You're gay.
Speaker 3: Then he hangs up, He hangs up. Uh makes me feel like a human being again. If you're hiring great candidates can also go the extra step and tell you why they're interested in your job on ziprecruiters a way to stand out from the others in the pool, and right now you can try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked. Ziprecruiter's new feature shows you the most interested qualified candidates first, so you meet the right people faster. They're powerful matching technology finds qualified candidates quickly. Candidates tell you in their own words why they're interested in your job. We've used ZipRecruiter here at crooked You bet we have. Boy, do those interested qualified candidates jump to the front of the line?
Speaker 1: You bet they do. It really helps.
Speaker 3: Try ZipRecruiter and meet great candidates will go the extra step for your job. Four out of five players who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate within the first day. Try it for free today at ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked. That's ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked. ZipRecruiter Meet your match on ZipRecruiter.
Speaker 1: Hod Save America is brought to you by Bombas. Summer's coming to an end, so we're soaking up every outdoor moment we can. You gotta go to the beach, get a backyard, barbecues, you're going on runs, You're just being outside in the nice weather. Bambas makes your comfiest footwear staples so you can enjoy the end of summer and the transition to fall. You might be thinking, what's a comfy footwear staple. Socks? They've got a whole The answer is socks. They've got a whole line of pro level sports specific socke. You gotta have the socks of a pro. You don't want to be wearing these amateur socks out there for golf, for yoga, the gym. I wear Bombas every day. I wear them whenever I go to the gym. I always wear their athletic socks. They are the absolute best. I love them becoming great vintage patterns that I'm a huge fan of. Plus their area and sweat weeeking so your feet will feel as good at the end of the day as they did at the start. Also, bomb I make sandals and slides from the super lightweight, cushy, waterproof Eva foam. It's like walking on marshmallows or clouds. If you're into that sort of thing I have the EVA Friday slides.
Speaker 3: I genuinely love them.
Speaker 1: I wear them basically every day. I wear them when I take punted out for a quick walk at the end of the day. I wear them when I go to pilates. I'm a huge fan and I wear on vacation. If for every item you purchase an a Central clothing item is donated to someone facing housing insecurity, one purchase equals one donated with over two hundred million donations accounting, I've already told you why I love Bombas. Just go buy some bombas dot com slash crooked, use code crooked for twenty percent off your first purchase. That's Bombas dot com slash crooked code crooked at checkout.
Speaker 3: So on that note, the primary results have inevitably led to another round of electability discourse, easily one of the top five discourses in the Democratic Party. What are you? What else is on the list? Let's see motivation versus persuasion, motivation, persuasion left versus center left? Yeah, let's see, uh, orange man bad is the best as the as the best political strategy?
Speaker 2: Yes for us? Yeah? Okay, how M should we focus on Trump?
Speaker 3: Right? Right? Wokeness? It's kind of a relatively new one. I don't know. I'm just kind of shooting from the hip here. How are Democratic voters judging which candidate is more electable here in twenty twenty six based on everything that you have seen thus far this year?
Speaker 2: I think, like the pundits, the voters don't know who's more electable, and that is showing up at these races as people are making different choices. What I think is interesting is electability. There's been this big discussion, like voter in the Trump era, of Democratic voters care a lot about electability, and that is true. But it's also always been true, and it is also an axiomatic thing, which is you want do you want? Do you want someone who can win or do you want someone who is less likely to win but agrees with you. People always pick the one who's going to win. You even look at the even before Trump in two thousand and four, when the Democratic primary that you were working on was going forward, people all of a sudden were like, wait a minute, we're going to run the anti war governor of Vermont against George W. Bush. That's not a good idea. And then they immediately shifted to John Kerry the war hero didn't work out great, but you understand the thinking that got them there. In twenty twenty, electability drove Biden's nomination. Six in ten voters in a Gallup poll at that time said they'd rather have someone who is more likely to beat Trump than someone who they agreed with on policy issues. In the exit polls of the primary states, six in ten voters in most cases said electability was their top issue. People care about it. What is different now, and I believe you see this in both Wisconsin and Michigan, is that the voters no longer trust the Democratic Party establishment and the experts to tell them who is most selectable, and they have to see it with their own eyes and make their own judgment, because you haven't.
Speaker 3: Michigan unless it's Tony Evers.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think we can debate Tony. Tony Evers obviously play a huge role on this. But this is the reustweet Michigan Wisconsin is all of the voices were saying Abdul is less selectable. Voters looked at that race, They looked at him. It was not patently obvious to him, meant to enough of them that he was less electable than Hilly Stevens Wisconsin. Evers made elect to build a number one issue down the stretch by announcing that he thought Hong could not win or was unlikely to win if she was the nominee. But then Hong went on a media tour where she did not acquit herself great and raise and sort of amplified the questions that Evers had raised and votes, so voters looked at that. I think if Evers had said she can't win and then she had done fine, they probably would have still picked Hong. But because of that, enough of people changed their mind in the final days to do it. And then in Minnesota, where Angie Craig made electability of the centerpiece of issue, no one thought we would lose that seat, so they didn't care.
Speaker 3: I think that's a really important point that's getting lost in the Minnesota example, because I think it sort of like I think a lot of voters, especially like highly engaged voters who pay attention to this, who are the voters that vote in primaries, They try to make rational decisions about who is going to who they think is going to win the race, right, And if you're in a state like Minnesota, where it just seems like the Democrat is going to win. And now Minnesota is not like a deep blue state, but you could make a good argument that Angie Craig or Peggy Flanagan, whoever won that nomination was going to Yes, it was going to be a heavy favorite. It yes, right, like a likely DC. And so in that scenario, as a voter, you look at the choices and you're like, well, now I am free to just support whoever I want to support that I leave in the most and you know, Peggy Flana again wins by twenty points in Wisconsin. You have to imagine there were a bunch of Francesca Hall people who really liked Francesca Hang and probably agreed with her more on the issues, or found her campaign more inspiring or whatever it may be than David Crowley, but looked around, looked at polls, looked at her performances, maybe looked at their governor that they like very much, even though he's older in establishment, and said, you know what, can't do it, can't do it. It's too important to win this day. And like that seems to me like a entire like I know everyone always says, like, well, electability is all subjective and it doesn't matter. But like I do, think there have to be some sort of objective standards by which to judge electability that I think voters are trying to sort of figure out on their own.
Speaker 2: There are I think the way I like to think about it is no one knows for sure who is lexible and who isn't, and the political environment is much more important than the quality of any individual candidate. But there are things we can look at. They give us an idea on people selectability, one of which is how they hit. What is their history of winning tough races? Do they have? It is their actual evidence of them winning every swing voters. This is quantified by split ticket and their wins over replacement model. But you can just like we know that Andy Basheer and Josh Shapiro can win over Republican voters. They have proven that in multiplications. Do we know they Gavin Newsome or aoc canto it? We do not know that. Can they maybe? But they've never proven to be for so that's an untested proposition.
Speaker 3: We should say back because it's actually very useful for people. I think is the wins above replacement sort of calculation Basically, what split Ticket has done is and other people have done think similar, But what they've done is they come up with like a baseline right, so off like the base line generic democrat do, right, how would a generic Democrat do? So what was like the national sort of was the national House vote or and they put a whole bunch of factors into it. And so if a if a regular Democrat, if a generic Democrat would win this race by two points, and ex candidate wins it by four points, then their plus two win above replacement. If the other Democrat still wins the race but only wins it by one point, then they're minus one wins above replacement. And you can do this with all the different House candidates and all the different Now, what was interesting in the case of Michigan is, first of all, a duel had run once for governor and lost so in a primary, so he didn't have a long record there. Haley Stevens was sort of the lowest wins above average of any of the Democrats in the House in Michigan, which I hadn't realized. So in that scenario you actually didn't like it. Seemed like Hailey Stevens was like because she was more moderate and backed by the establishment. Like maybe it's thinks she is more electable, but in terms of the the objective measures you had, that wasn't necessarily the case. Sure enough the argument which is, you know, lecture Jane, who's the polster for the argument and does the and also is split ticket does the wins above replacement? He said that they had in their model, if they have abdul is a seventy percent chance of winning the general and Hailey Stevens would have been eighty percent chance. So it's like ten percent difference. Is it's something, but it's not.
Speaker 2: It's big. It's actually we could different between seventy and eighty doesn't feel huge. Difference between fifty and forty feels quite big when you get there. Well, but that I think that's the other that gets you to the other measures, which not then you get past data, right, Yeah, And so then there is the question of extremism, and it is a there is. It's not always true, but it is mostly true that the candidate who is seen as more extreme loses. This is the thing that makes people want to throw their phone in the ocean. But Donald Trump was seen is more moderate than Kamala Harris in twenty twenty four and Joe Biden was seen is more moderate than Donald Trump in twenty twenty And so you look at that and you say, does ab do Like if you take Michigan for instance, you would say, does Abdull have positions and statements that could be used to make him see more extreme than Hailey Stevens. Possibly. I think that's probably where you get to this, that that net difference for them. Then the third thing is candidate quality. And this is all subjective where you're like, does this person seem like they can stand in This is gonna particularly true in a presdential debate. Can the presidential election? Can they stand on the stage with jd Vance or Marco Rubio or Tucker Carls somewhere else and like hold their own do they can they go on podcasts? Can they give a good speech? Can they do those things? And that I think is where Abdul seemed like he could, Like he really showed a lot of candidate skill, and Haley just ran a campaign in the end that where she was just not very present in the media, so people didn't see her, although I would say she here her post election media tour, she has crushed. Yeah, and then Hong went on this huge media tour, did every interview seemed ill prepared for a lot of them, and that people saw that with the Rownai so it's like, yes, ever said that, but then everyone actually saw clips that made them say maybe this person cannot win or is less likely to win.
Speaker 3: Well that's why Too was like, yeah, it is objective, and no one really knows who's electable or not. Is technically true, but all of this exists on a spectrum, and there are some people where you're like, who's the more electable candidate? Well, they're both kind of good on TV and sometimes they make mistakes, but one's inspiring for this reason and they're like, that's a close call with like when Francesca hang goes on TV and is like, uh, well, let's it have it has to talk about canceling Thanksgiving and and why you know police exists to uphold white supremacy. Most people, most people who don't pay attention to politics, if you if you showed them that clip, they'd be like, yeah, that's weird, No thank you, that's that's an easier or or let's take another example, the Biden Trump debate, right, like, and Biden does perform so perform so horribly that afterwards it's like, okay, yeah, there's there's like nitpicky debate, you know, figure skating judge quality to analyzing debates. But that's an easy call. Most most people be like that's awful.
Speaker 2: Right, See, these are extreme examples. But the problem it gets harder, like as we get to the presidential election, right, and so imagine you're down to at the end, I'm just picking these sort of randomly, Gavin Newsom, Pete Buddhage Edge, Kamala Harris, aoc Ooh, like yeah, say they're all like you can make a case for all of them. And then it becomes more subjected. And then the thing that I think is important to note, and this is like a huge problem in twenty twenty is the electability discourse is very racially engender coded, and there's just like there is This is particularly true in twenty twenty, where it's just we alter the election through the mind of a white dude in Wisconsin, and like who do they want? And people you hear this in focus groups all the time. People project onto voters they do not know biases. It's like Kama Harris did with pe Pootage is the VP where you say, well, he's a gay man, that's too much for America, and that's like that very and that and if you take that, but if you take that, you never like you would have said, you also would have said Broacu state Obama too much for America. There are times like it's just it is, It's just I think the discourse is. There are some things you can look at it for a real there are some things that makes it very quite complicated, and and certain can narrow the aperture of what you're looking for. You're not even doing it based on data. You're doing it as of perceived biases of the electorate or small sample sizes of women losing presidential elections.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think we confuse in the electability discourse the very real proceed biases in the election in the electorate, right, and the fact that a lot of this electability discourse is absolutely gender and racially coded with Okay, but that's that is true. That is how people think, and what does a candidate in the campaign do to overcome that. So, yes, people thought that Barack Obama was couldn't be president because how are we going to elect a black guy named Barack Hussein Obama from Chicago as president the United States? When we just lost with the War Hero against George W. Bush and and even black voters in South Carolina at the beginning of the campaign did not think that Barack Obama was ready to become president. So what did Barack Obama do? He won over a bunch of white voters in Iowa and proved that maybe it's not so crazy to think that a black man named Obama could become president. So part of this is realizing the biases that exist in the electorate and then and then putting together a strategy to overcome those biases and prove yourself. Unfair as it may be, it is the world that we live, yeah, And.
Speaker 2: What makes it more unfair, And this is where it played in twenty twenty is there's a lot of the campaign that ever happens before you get to actual voters. Yeah, And so it's like, you need money, you need attention, and when people like there was a Elizabeth Warren was at the top of the polls, and so there was a Nearer Time story about how Elizabeth Warren probably couldn't beat Trump and she really tanked after that because the hyper engaged Democrats, particularly once at Iowa New Hampshire, We're like, oh wait, we love Elizabeth Warren, we like her policies, but she probably can't beat Trump. Well, then we six and ten of us would prefer to have somebody who could be Trump.
Speaker 3: And this is going this is going to absolutely shade a lot of the discourse going into twenty twenty eight. Yeah, particularly because we have lost to Donald Trump two times now, yep, you know, and so like, you know, unfairly or not, it's going to be a huge part of it's going to be it's going to be I think hard for a lot of these candidates to overcome it. But you know, stranger things have happened. Barack Obama became president had Dave America is brought to you by ag one. This summer winds down, routines start taking over again before the daily chaos creeps back in. Set the foundation with AG one. One scoop eight ounces of cold water every morning, the easiest non negotiable to put back on your calendar. AG one is a daily health drink with a multivitamin, pre and probiotics, superfoods, and antioxidants. Just one scoop daily means you'll get high quality nutritional support every single day, no matter when or where you start your morning. AG one helps to maintain energy, support gut health, and support immune health. The next gen formula delivers seventy five plus ingredients clinically shown to support and gut health, fil common nutrient gaps, and improve key nutrient levels within three months. AG one is great. You just dump a little of that green powder into into some water in the morning or whatever your favorite morning drink is, and then boom, you're drinking it. You got all your your vitamins and minerals and it tastes good.
Speaker 1: You got to get those vitamins and those minerals. What's I don't Then you have to exactly Then you have to think about your get g one in that system.
Speaker 3: Visit drink ag one dot com slash croocket and get a free AG one flavor sampler and a free bottle of Vitamin D three plus K two in your welcome kit with your first a G one subscription order. That's drink ag one dot com slash crooked. The poles were off by a decent amount in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota for different reasons. As the host of Polar Coaster, you are therefore required to defend the switchcraft that you keep telling us will predict the future with near certainty.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is that is what we say. The polls are not a snapshot in time. They're not at in precise measure. They are perfect too, saying yeah, look, I think if we look at these, the polls were very wrong. But let's talk about what that means in this case. One, it's worth noting that primary polls are often quite wrong. Yeah, Like they have a long history of being wrong. That has become more true in this era where it becomes almost impossible to get anyone to take a poll, because polling is now looks much more like election modeling, where you're guessing what the electorate looks like in advance and then waiting your very random sample to match that. And so if you guess the if you model the electorate wrong, you were going to miss everything. And that it's easier to model in a general election, particularly now we've had a bunch of them in the Trump era, which is why the poles were more accurate at twenty twenty four. But that's even harder in a primary. It's particularly hard in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota because those are open primary states where independence and Republicans can vote. It's one of the reasons that even it appear here is that the internal campaign polls were all wrong, because in those states, you can't even go off the voter file. It's a poll you are basically doing. You either these media polsters are relying on self reported party ID and the campaigns are using modeled support where they sort of guess whether someone's Republican or Democrat. But you go into it, you have no idea how many independents are going to Like they walk in to the to the voting booth and they pick a ballot, they get to choose right there, and so it's very hard to know. It also seems very clear that in these states the polsters over sampled young voters, and these young voters tend to be more progressive. They they're the ones supporting a duel and Flannagan and Hong, and that's a that's a misjudgment of how many people vote. And they are undersampling working class voters in particularly in Wisconsin and Michigan, black voters, and then The other thing I'd say is most of the polls that we saw were not high quality polls. We don't have New York Times Siena polls of these races. Marquette did poll. Marquette as a highly re polster. They did poll in Wisconsin and were wrong. But their polls actually more than a week old by the time the election happened. And one things that we you know, you'd get a poll a week out and it says the race is tied, and then one candid wins by three. Everyone says the poll is wrong. It's like, well, it's also possible addition to that, just being the Martian eferror, people changed their mind. Undecideds move and in Wisconsin in particular, it seems very clear that there was real movement at the end. You had like in that the state Navigate did a poll that was like five days out that ended up being quite wrong. But in that poll, so you had nine percent of undecided voters. All those voters seemed to have gone to Crowley. You had a bunch of other candidates in the field, who's including two in Mandela Bars and Sara Driguez, who had dropped out of the race, and they had supporters, and some of those supporters went to David Crowley. And so what poll like we.
Speaker 3: Had set polls, she hit her. Francesco Hung was basically pulling around forty percent, which is what she got.
Speaker 2: Like in some of these polls she was over she was four or five points over forty. But yes, it basically got her within a reasonable polling error. Right, they got her number. And what happened is everything else moved towards Crowley and and he like he had momentum, she was struggling down the stretch. He spent four million dollars like in the last week, couple week, ten days or so on broadcast in linear television, which I think made a huge difference. And so we have to remember that people changed their minds, vote undecided voters to side, and that is what affects the final margin, and that it's a certainly a huge factor in what happened, at least in Wisconsin, probably to some extent in Michigan as well.
Speaker 3: Minnesota's a little more confusing to me because in that one, the polls towards the end showed it kind of close, and then instead Penny Flap Peggy Flann again. The more progressive candidate won by twenty points, So they underestimated the more progressive candidate in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those poles might just been wrong.
Speaker 3: It just goes to show you I think that, like it's a number of different factors, and it's like I wouldn't think to ourselves as we go into the midterms, and you tell me if I'm wrong that, like, oh no, they're always gonna over sample younger voters and the polls are all going to be off. Because that didn't happen in Minnesota, it hasn't happened in other places.
Speaker 2: It's possible. It's also worth remembering that in twenty twenty five they polls in New Jersey and Virginia were off. They were very far off in New Jersey, and they undersampled Democrats in that case or over simple Republicans. And it's going to be interesting. This is the I mean, we're getting super nerdy here, but they're in. They were wrong in sixteen, the polls were right in twenty eighteen. Twenty eighteen perhaved like a normal midterm because all these low engaged Trump voters did not turn out in that one. Twenty twenty, they were incredibly wrong twenty twenty two, they were actually quite right. Every No one believes that because everyone thought the red wave was coming, but the poles were historically accurate in that race. And then in twenty twenty four the polls were right again. But the pollsters for the most part. There are some exceptions, and Nate Cone of The Times included, but they took us basically like a statistical sledgehammer to jam more Trump voters into the polls, which worked. How they're going to factor in and model Republican turnout in this election, and how they're going to try to accommodate, like what the what is the baseline? Are you? If you do it? What are you waiting? They waited basically in twenty twenty four, they waited the poll to the twenty twenty vote share. I don't know how they're going to do this here. It's going to be very interesting to say.
Speaker 3: I should probably bring this up since it's sort of breaking here as we're talking. But Fox News at least two Senate polls Michigan Mike Rogers fifty one, Abdul forty seven and then shared in Ohio is up by the same as he was last time, which is fifty three forty five. I don't know if I buy either of those.
Speaker 5: Truth.
Speaker 2: I mean, shared Brown is not winning Ohio by eight, that be that that'd be a nineteen point over performance twenty four.
Speaker 3: That to me seems further off than.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, I would say that both of those races end up being closer, closer, and like two point races. I think there's a world where Abduel could win by four or five. I find it highly unlikely that Mike Rodgers could win by that much. Yeah, but I think there's work for Abduel to do. I think he has real work to do. And it's like he in all of the polling, even the once it showed him doing the same as Haley Stevens against Mike Rodgers, he was dramatically underperforming. The political environment, it should be this is Michigan, it's fifty to fifty state. It should be he should be starting with six points in his pocket.
Speaker 3: Right, because yeah, because so everyone knows, even though Michigan's close, if the national environment is six points more favorable to Democrats than it was in twenty twenty four, then yeah, that's how you get that. Speaking of election forecasts, that promise one hundred percent accurate. Nate Silver dropped his midterm model this week, called Forecast with Leading Indicators, Polls and expert ratings or Flipper for sure, you want to call it flipper. So Nate's forecasts have historically been closer to the mark than I think most other models. He's not known as someone who's who's biased towards Democrats or Republicans in his modeling, but it is notable that he gives Democrats as of this recording, an eighty six point one percent chance of winning the House, and I said, as of this recording, fifty six percent chance of winning the Senate. But I bet once he throws in that Michigan poll that might go down a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Fox is an a rated poll, and so that will that will bring that down.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And since it just came out, I'm sure he hasn't updated it yet, but by the time you listen to this, it will be updated. What do you think of Nate's forecast and what should people know about what goes into that besides just polling, because I think some people probably just assume that it's a polling aggregator where you're just throwing a bunch of polls together and averaging them out, which it's not.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: For a long time, the real clear politics pulling average was what everyone followed, and that really was just math where they added all the polls together and then divided by the number of polls at the average as if they were in fifth grade math. What Nate does in others like Laksha Jane do that's much more complicated, is they build a statistical model that takes in pulling. They then Nate at least waits the polsters based on quality of the poll he actually has in the past. I don't know if he's doing this in the case is established what it calls a house bias that some polsters over time are tend to be more democratic or more Republican, and then he will factor in that house bias into it. He will also includes fundamentals like how much money the campaigns of the campaigns have raised, the larger political environment, there is a benefit to incumbency in these races, and fits that in. And then this time, actually he has three versions of his model. The deluxe model if you will actually factors in the expert ratings from like Political Report and others. It's you know, it's you know, it's interesting too if you read his methodology page, because the poles have been so wrong. He's overweighting towards fundamentals this time, or he's been putting that overight, he's putting more weight on fundamentals than he has in the past. Interesting, which is which is interesting, And I'm gonna be very, very interested to see what the Michigan pole, which by the time you guys are listening to this, you may be able to go to his site and check it out. But how that changes it? Because if I recall correctly, I think maybe this was lectual Jane, but I don't want to I don't want to smear him with in cases it was an incorrect take. But basically some in some people's model that if Democrat Democrats chances of winning the how the Senate are, you know, let's say they're fifty seven or whatever it is, If they lose Michigan, that number drops into the like the thirties. Yeah, So that if Michigan, Michigan is a you really need Michigan to take the Senate and if and if we are a poll that shows us losing Michigan badly will probably move move the Senate forecasts a little.
Speaker 3: Bit at least, So think the Senate forecast started even higher than fifty six percent and it went down to fifty six today because Yeah, there was an Emerson poll that showed tell Errico down one in Texas.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, though, that poll shows Tillerco is seventy percent of the black vote. And if he is down one with seventy percent of the black vote in Texas, then he is going to be He's going to win by fairmount, which I think that I think that is a that they probably not enough voter staff shuld have it, but he's that he's going to get a lot more than seventy percent of black voote.
Speaker 3: Now, we're not in the prediction business, and you know we always warn you about these things, So what good is an election forecast for all of you? I do think that one of the more interesting parts of Nate's forecast Nates model is in for the house races, they show you, like what are the closest house races in the country, and that can like that list can update. And I think if you're you know, if you want to volunteer, if you want to donate money. It is kind of helpful to look and see the closest house races, the closest Senate races, and then you know, you go to Voteviamerica and we can make sure you're connected with the right people so you can have something to do in someplace to donate. So I do think, I do think that is very helpful to have, like what races are the closest to kind of see it updating over time.
Speaker 2: It is emotional management for most people. They're going to live and die with several point drops in the forecast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, don't do that because it's it's gonna be quite a polar coaster if you will. Yeah, Now until November, all right, last thing before we go. White House Press Secretary Caroline love It announced on Wednesday that she's leaving her post at the end of the month to quote embark on a new chapter and spend more time with her kids. She will of course be missed, and his former White House comm staffers. We thought it only fitting to say farewell with a tribute to some of her finest moments.
Speaker 2: He's become a star.
Speaker 3: It's that face, it's that brain, it's those lips, the whey they move, they move like she's a machine gun.
Speaker 4: Hatred has no place in the United States of America under President Donald Trump. The President's face wanted to add about a number of times with bandages on his hands, do thus explain.
Speaker 3: What that is about?
Speaker 4: The President is literally.
Speaker 5: Constantly shaking hands.
Speaker 4: Why was Renee Good unfortunately and tragically killed?
Speaker 2: Are you're asking me because a night shaped and doctor recously and kills its fire.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so you're a biased reporter with a left wing opinion.
Speaker 2: What are you wanting to do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you're a left wing hacked The President have a feeling again based on fact that Iran was going to strike the United States, was going to strike our assets in the region. At this moment in time, of course, the ballroom is really the president's main priority. He believes that Canadians would benefit greatly from becoming the fifty first state of the United States of America. It's well past time that President Trump was awarded the Noble Peace Prize, because it.
Speaker 2: Was twenty eleven when Barack Obama and Seth Meyer said you'll never be president Bay Bob. Here we are with presidents from going on stage as a two term president for the first time.
Speaker 5: This piece tonight will be classic Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump. It'll be funny, it'll be entertaining.
Speaker 4: There will be some shots fired tonight.
Speaker 3: Very you know, just North Korean propaganda through and through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's dead, Bob, you will.
Speaker 3: I love the He does believe that Canadians will benefit from being the first fifty first state, said with the straight.
Speaker 2: Face, which was a thing that actually happened in the yak in politics.
Speaker 3: Well, kudos to her for saying that all with the straight face. As for who might replace Levitt at the podium, names are already being floated all across the Magamedia ecosystem. Lots of exciting possibilities and it's a wide open field. So each of us, without sharing with each other yet, has ranked our top five most likely picks. So why don't we we I think we should each go five five four four three three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's what I was hoping for. Okay, they really kind of missed up the punch line of mine, But we'll do it this way.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fine. You want to go for who's you? Who's your number five? Who's your number number five?
Speaker 2: Is Marco Rubi out? Yeah?
Speaker 3: That's funny. That's funny. I already saw some of the Rubio on the couch memes where he's got a blonde way gone. So yeah, yeah, interesting.
Speaker 2: I use this my number five.
Speaker 3: Erica Kirk.
Speaker 2: Now that is an interesting suggestion.
Speaker 3: You think it's crazy, but you're like, wait a minute, she's you know, she she does a lot of public speaking. Big f you know, big favorite of the maga world. Who knows number number four?
Speaker 2: So before I gave number four, I would like to just point out my thinking here, which is Donald Trump has had five pres secretaries. Can you name all five?
Speaker 3: Wow? Oh, because we have to go back to the first term. Huh yeah, Sean Spicer, Katie mcahoney yep. Oh uh, what's his name? Scaramuci number press secretary? He wasn't for fourteen days communication structure. Oh he didn't step in for the Oh yeah, some Brie, Sarah Hockey Sanders yep, Caroline. And so now I'm just one. I have one right that I'm missing.
Speaker 2: Stephanie Grisham.
Speaker 3: Oh, Stephanie Grisham, Yes, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So five press secretaries, the last four have been women.
Speaker 1: M hmm.
Speaker 2: I don't think Doan Trump's gonna pick a man.
Speaker 3: I don't either, So my number four is although I have one, I have one man on my list.
Speaker 2: But I did too, obviously, But my number four is Anna Kelly, who's currently the Deputy Press Secretary.
Speaker 3: You know, I keep seeing that around, but it's like, I feel like he always wants to go for someone who has been on TV a bunch.
Speaker 2: He's also lazy, so yeah, that's true. Is a man so lazy wouldn't even pick a new national security advisor?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: That would be the that's the lazy rot. I don't think it's obviously what I'm not what I think is most likely, but I think it's on the table.
Speaker 3: My number four is my favorite in yours Trisha McLoughlin.
Speaker 2: Oh god, that's that's definitely not happening. But that is a good suggestion for content purposes.
Speaker 3: You don't think it's I think, well, I did read somewhere that she might be pregnant, so that would be tricky at least if it's happening soon. I don't know how pregnant she is or what, but like, but I could see, I mean, she was clearly auditioning for White House Press Secretary her entire time at DHS and she has not taken a new job yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, look at it is on the table, all right, what's my number number three? Carry Lake?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Carrie Lake is it's a possibility.
Speaker 2: Trump loves her.
Speaker 3: Trump loves She's a loyalist, she is.
Speaker 2: She's crazy, she'll fight with the press, which is what he cares about most. She's very she's a former reporter. She's good on TV in a Trumpian way. She's good on.
Speaker 3: TV, right right, Yeah, I thought about her and I was like, she you know, Trump likes his spokespeople like young, like Fox News anchors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's this would be the thing that yeah.
Speaker 3: Well then my number three, same thing that is a departure from this, which is Scott Jennings.
Speaker 2: Interesting. See I was thought about scot Chennkings, and then I went with my whole man thing, and then I had to do a very cheesy and funny rubeo joke.
Speaker 3: I would not put the money on Scott Jennings, but I put them on my list because.
Speaker 2: Because we are emitting all of these on Calshi right, yes, of.
Speaker 3: Course, yes, obviously, as we do with everything.
Speaker 2: Okay, my number two, Katie Miller.
Speaker 3: So I was going to have Katie Miller on there. And then I of course did some research for this segment, and in one of the Politico stories about the search, a source close to Miller said, not happening, Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: It's exactly that's Miller's word.
Speaker 3: Yes, maybe what was she She has a wildly successful podcast. What was she going to be?
Speaker 2: Just do the podcast in the briefing room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's probably probably good.
Speaker 2: She likes attention. She's very combative.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Shewett, Yeah, I could see it. Yeah, I have isn't my number two? No? One just doesn't fill the role, continues to have a bunch of dipshits jump into the briefing room once in a while and says, fuck it, I don't even want the press. I don't I want to deal with that. I'm he's the press secretary. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought about putting that on my list too, and then I thought that was maybe like a little a little too trying too hard for a viral cliff.
Speaker 3: If you will what that that?
Speaker 2: No wonder if I said Trump, if I I number one choices Donald Trump, that seems like a bit much. Yeah, I know that is I think he really cares about the briefing.
Speaker 3: M I to watch something.
Speaker 2: Watch what there? It is a lull in the Fox schedule during the day. I think I think he does not watch Will Kine. So usually he the briefing is during Willcane and so that solves that problem for him.
Speaker 3: Will Caine too dumb. Yeah, all right, number one, number one.
Speaker 2: This is a totally out of left field. It's a crazy choice. Rachel Campos Duffy.
Speaker 3: She's on Calshi. But she she she started it like forty Like I don't know how they've got there. It was I think it's like forty percent or something, and then she's like fallen down to less than one percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm not sure the people who are betting cash what we have to watch for us if all of a sudden there is a surge behind one person. Yeah, but that's what I think you could trust. Couty. She's a Fox News anchor. She is very she's a reality TV star. She's in the family. Yeah loyal. Trumpet likes her a lot. He talks about her a lot. Back when before Seohn Duffy was in the cabin that he used to tweet in truth about her all the time.
Speaker 3: Oh, I could see what she was on a splash. Yeah, I should have had I should have kept her on my list. I have Alena Habba, that's yeah. And I knew that she is the favorite right now.
Speaker 2: I knew in my soul you're gonna pick Alena Habber first, and so for content purposes, I took Alena Habba off my list.
Speaker 3: I know, I almost didn't want her first because I was like, I think it's it's it's more it's boring as the selection. But I actually think if we're just doing most likely I would put money on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you were trying you were taking this as a serious game.
Speaker 3: Yeah of course, yeah, okay, just like I did. I was termally online, you know.
Speaker 2: I was doing this for totally content purposes, of course.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course. Well good luck to everyone on our lists, and hopefully it was good to do some outside the box ones that are not on CALSHI, like Eric Kirk and Trisha mcglofflin, because maybe if we say them, you know, the maga the maga verse listens to us, so we just if we put it out there, maybe we can build some buzz behind these.
Speaker 2: If you are listening to Potaninmarica, and then you think that we said something about who Trump might hire us his press secretary, and then you went and put money on that get help.
Speaker 3: Well, that might describe Elijah.
Speaker 2: Bobby, he's so far behind help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can hear us still laughing. All right, Dan, Well, that's our show for today. Tommy will be back on the feet on Sunday with a conversation with tech journalist Casey Newton about the terrifying AI moment we're in exciting and what we can do about it. Casey's awesome, That's gonna be a great conversation. And then and then John and Tommy and I will be back with a new episode on Tuesday. Have a good weekend, everyone, By everyone. Pozive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari, with Ree Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groat, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlotte Landiskrol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the writers Guild of America East