Speaker 1: We got the Bending skin Wayback Machine coming up, and a review of the new Mission Impossible movie by yours truly who got to see a sneak preview of it. That's all coming up, But before we move to anything else, I just want to say, I'm so increppy. I feel like a weight has been lifted on the entire Metroplex, especially when it comes to sports, especially when it comes to the Dallas Mavericks. Just the full three, the full one to eighty of having your franchise player, your twenty five year old global icon, your five time All NBA player traded and never really given a good reason as to why, and traded for not a fair return is judged by most of humanity. I feel like the whole Metroplex was gutted and to defy the odds and come back and get the number one pick. MAV's had a one point eight chance of getting the number one pick in the lottery and they got it. And it's just truly remarkable, and I've found myself just feeling so happy. Like for a while there, for about a half a day, I was filled with dread thinking that Nico was going to trade him. Then news comes out that Patrick Dumont is shutting that down, saying no, no, no, he will not be traded. Tim McMahon has that, Mark Stein had that. That's that's great. I'm those were Patrick Dumont quotes, right, that was him.
Speaker 2: Well, they weren't exact quotes. But but also let me say, matt Riccardi was walking around the room saying, we're drafting Cooper Flag like there was I mean, I think there are checks and balances like you're talking about, but that that front office was going to draft the generational player. It wasn't. Patrick Dumont's got to stop anybody from doing it. They were in the room, but we just got Cooper Flag.
Speaker 1: You can understand why people would wonder, of course, I mean, it's fair to wonder about those things. The damn near most unlikely thing is always likely these days. But uh, yeah, that was That was so regardless, Like you went from being in the NBA Finals losing and then being in the lottery and and trading this global icon and it's just like such a high to being the finals and make it there and then the extreme low of having it all fall apart and just get the rug ripped out from under you. But then suddenly to be given this incredible gift of this generational talent that is like you're now set for even longer than you were with Luca Dude. The number one pick went to the Atlanta Hawks. Last year.
Speaker 2: The Hawks were about in the same position the Mavericks were, but it wasn't a year where a player like this comes out. It's not only the first time they've ever moved up. It's not only the second time in is that fifty years that they've had the number one pick. Yeah, they last had the number of pick in nineteen eighty one, right or forty five years or whatever. It's not even just that it's getting it the year that this player is available. And to Ben's point, like I don't know if people think I'm joking or not. I cried and it was not like it just it was such I guess the thing I would equate it to I've never done this. I have gone to the top of a mountain in Switzerland, but it wasn't like it was Everest, but like when there is something that seemed so daunting and so impossible and then you break through, that is an emotional release. And they got gifted the most incredible thing ever, and you know, we were talking about this last night on our little pop up YouTube thing that me and Ben did with Jake, our buddy from the Dumb Zone, is that you can feel however you want to feel about Nico and do that and hate him and do whatever you want. But and don't give him credit, don't whatever, tell him you hate him, you know whatever. By the way, I watched during at the end of the year, I watched Nico stand there in the hallway talk to fans. Fans wanted to talk to him.
Speaker 1: He said, there and talk to him.
Speaker 2: So feel however you want to feel about that person. But I think if you just took everything away and you sat there and go, hey, man, I'll give you Cooper Flag, Anthony Davis, Max Christie and an unprotected twenty twenty nine first round pick for Luca Man. If you weren't, if you took your emotion out of it, you would do that deal all.
Speaker 1: Day after day. You would take it. I'm not giving Nico credit for it the number one pick at all, don't. I Mean, it's like, That's what I'm saying. Feel it's very lucky, falling down, throwing up the basketball behind his back and hitting a hundred foot shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't get credit for it. I'm just saying, like, you know, if you just took those two things and compared them and you're just being a basketball person, go, oh my god, you I'd rather have that.
Speaker 1: And and to your point, if you were to just take stock of where you are in your basketball life as a fan, this is a better situation than that was.
Speaker 2: It's not I'll tell you what, that's not fair. It is close, but take again, take emotion out of it. You are taking the current option over what you had all day after action.
Speaker 3: My problem is like that right now, if you just do nothing that right now, you're probably on a title run. Yes, And there's just no way of knowing. Like I think that's why some people are gonna it's gonna take them a little bit longer to come to grips with all this is because they can't let go of the fact that this shouldn't have happened. Not the trade with Luca right, getting Cooper flag also should not have happened.
Speaker 2: No, right, but I don't even know.
Speaker 3: It's more shocking. I would both two things that you would never imagine what happened.
Speaker 1: Right, and I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how to feel, but I just know for me personally, I'm hitting the reset button. Yeah, as long as I know they're not gonna trade him and there's somebody that could stop that trade from happening, Uh, then I feel pretty good. I feel like it's safe footing, like they're not gonna trade this guy. And so he's eighteen, he's seven years six, you know, eight years younger than Luca.
Speaker 2: If you, as a boy, I'll put it to you like this, if you really love watching basketball, which is probably why you liked Luca, you're gonna really love watching the Mavericks with Cooper Flag.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: If you are dead set on not experiencing that joy, that is absolutely your choice. And I know people that at least tell me that they don't watch the Cowboys anymore because of the way the Jones family runs it, And that's their prerogative.
Speaker 1: And I've seen that. I've seen that happen. I saw it with my dad. My dad quit on all the local teams, especially he put his money or his mouth was. He quit watching.
Speaker 2: And that's a choice that you, as a person that has time to spend in this world, can make. I will watch a Cowboy game, and during a Cowboy game, if things are going well, I rarely sit there and think about what Jerry Jones is or isn't doing. Last night, I made the comparison. So I want to get this right. All these people that are watching Jalen Bruntson be the MVP of the league right now, are their knicks fans that can enjoy it because of how they feel about James Dolan. I mean like, ultimately, when the game happens, whatever the sport is, you're caught up in the game and the guys that are out there doing it and laying it all out. And the reason you love sports in the first place is that experience. And so you can make the conscious choice I refuse to experience this particular set of joy. But if you loved basketball in the first place, I'm here to personally guarantee you you're gonna love watching Cooper Flag play with maps written across his chest.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, life is good, all right. Coming up next in the weekly weekday Update, a weatherman got banned from work. Why did that happen? We'll tell you in just over three minutes.