Speaker 1: Slaughter's my name. Luke Slaughter. Cattle's my business. It's a tough business, it's big business. I've got a big steak in it. There's no man west of the Rio Grande big enough to take it from me.
Speaker 2: Luke Slaughter of Tombstone. Luke Slaughter of Tombstone. Civil War cavalryman turned Arizona cattleman. Across the territory, from Yuma to Fort Defiance, from Flagstaff to the Watchukas, and below the border through Chihuahua and Sonora. His name was respected or feared, depending on which side of the law you were on. Man of vision, man of legend. Luke Slaughter of Tombstone.
Speaker 1: Carl Justice was dead, bushwhacked in the Chiruchaos for the ten thousand dollars he was carrying. But Justice wasn't dead. The posse from the Cattleman's Association at Ceda bet If we had to cover every half section between the petrified Forest and the Mexican border, and it looked like we might. At least the first day in the saddle. We didn't find a trace of Justice's killer or the gold. We were a tired bunch of Ranahans and we came back to town that afternoon. All right, boys, it yourselves a good night's rest, be ready to ride again as sun up?
Speaker 3: Come on where hardy loop?
Speaker 1: Hellow at your town?
Speaker 3: You look like you've been eating a lot of dust. I have you turn up anything?
Speaker 1: Nothing? Not a single sign.
Speaker 3: Killer's got to leave a shine.
Speaker 1: This one didn't.
Speaker 3: Sure is a shame. Carl order no better than to try carrying all that money over to Bisbee by itself.
Speaker 1: But he didn't. Oh man, I'm tired.
Speaker 3: You're going to go out to the ranch tonight.
Speaker 1: No, I'll grab some shut eye over at the office. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Hold up a minute. You can't get by these outfits well wagons.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty small train to be traveling alone. Keep it moving.
Speaker 3: Were you driving boars? Ain't he that he wasn't raised on prunes and proverbs?
Speaker 1: You know that's a funny thing about that outfitting. No kids, not a single one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any peculiar. Usually they got young's fish tuned all over from the driver's box to the tailgate.
Speaker 1: Well I'm gonna spread out on the cot back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you do that, Luke, And you better under unlimber your guns. You ain't had them off since you rode out of here before dawn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll drop him here on the desk.
Speaker 3: And pull your hat down over your eyes. Luke, anybody come around asking fool questions.
Speaker 4: I'll take care of him.
Speaker 1: Thanks with your ton I sure wish I could find some traces.
Speaker 3: Oh forget it now, Luke. I want to hear you snoring inside of two minutes. Carl Justice can't get no dinner in ears right now, evening, Stranger, what can I do for you? You can reach mister. This is the office of the Cattleman's Association. Stranger, why the six gun?
Speaker 4: I'm asking the questions.
Speaker 1: Who's the right on the bed?
Speaker 3: Answer me? Ooh him drunk or sleeping? It off?
Speaker 4: So you're all the famous Luke Slaughter tombstone.
Speaker 3: What do you want? Stranger?
Speaker 1: That's what I wanted. Slaughter puts you to sleep for a while. What's your time? What's your time? I shouldn't have taken my guns off. You get your witch back. I'll take over now. Hey, hey, Slaughter, Slaughter.
Speaker 3: That they broke in and I was fixing the robber bank.
Speaker 4: There was two of them, and now they're riding east out of town.
Speaker 1: Oh, why ain't you gonna follow him? Why should I?
Speaker 4: Well, well, you're a head of the posse for the cabman.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to. What about that other rider headed west?
Speaker 4: So you weren't nowhere near the bank he come out of your office.
Speaker 1: That's right, slaughter, Now.
Speaker 4: Look was tying to here, yammering them?
Speaker 1: Thieves? Is getting that much for you? Did they get anything?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: But I told you it broke the window. I've got bigger problems in a broken window. Go chase him yourself.
Speaker 4: You hold a high handed, clouding the trail away to wink in a plane?
Speaker 3: Chase what's going on anyway?
Speaker 1: Luke? I don't know what your to I wish I did he.
Speaker 2: Umbra had no call.
Speaker 3: The pistol whipped me.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't have gotten away with it if I'd had my guns. But remember he thought he was pistol whipping me with your town Gee.
Speaker 3: That's right. Well, ain't you gonna try to chase him down?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: It's almost dark. Besides, who would you chase to riding east? Who broke the window on the bank? O the one riding west? Or that at your skull?
Speaker 3: Well? Clean get away on all count huh?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: What your tie I don't think so. I've got an idea. Right now, let's get over to the old Ducks and get a plaster for your scalp. You might need your head before the night's out.
Speaker 3: Look, you ain't told me one blame thing about where we're going or what you're up to.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure myself.
Speaker 3: We'll just riding in the moonlight won't get us nowhere. Besides, I think you you'd head yourself enough riding for one day I have.
Speaker 1: I don't got into a stranger cracking you over the side of the head with a pistol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate that, Loupe, But.
Speaker 1: There's some other things that just don't fit search airs.
Speaker 3: Why did those.
Speaker 1: Bank robbers break a window? That's noise? Last thing a thief once?
Speaker 3: A right dogies that's right, But that still don't explain why we're night riding out here a mile west of town heading for California.
Speaker 1: When i'd go on that fire with the town rain up ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, what.
Speaker 1: I figured the wagon train that came through town just before sundown could have gotten any further than mule crossing before it better down or I'm gonna pay him a visit.
Speaker 3: Luke This ain't no time for being social.
Speaker 1: This isn't social Wich, this is business.
Speaker 3: You think that wagon train had something to do with all these things been going on?
Speaker 1: Maybe you wait here behind these rocks and don't move out for anybody. I'll whistle when I come back. Well you want me to stay here because I think I'm gonna need you later.
Speaker 3: Hope you know what you're doing.
Speaker 1: I'll know better than a half hour.
Speaker 3: So long, so long, dead blamed tight ball?
Speaker 1: Hold up, and don't you turn around evening?
Speaker 4: What's your business?
Speaker 2: Stranger?
Speaker 1: I want to talk to the bus of this wagon train. Why are you the bus? No, but I'm talking to the wrong man. Where's your bus?
Speaker 3: Put off your hands and move on?
Speaker 2: Sloop?
Speaker 4: Hey Burwell, Yeah, this is Landigan.
Speaker 1: I'm coming in.
Speaker 3: Gom gonna set off here here about it? Got me a snooper?
Speaker 1: Well that's.
Speaker 4: Here he is, Burwell, riding in like he You own the camp. Eah, we ain't much for visiting, and they come at us in the dark.
Speaker 1: Master, What you want some information? What kind? How many people in your train? Where you're headed, where you camped last night, and where you were on the trail the day before that? Nosy ain'ty maybe you gents, ou don't know my name? I want to slaughter Luke slutter.
Speaker 3: He ain't Luke slaughter.
Speaker 1: I'll handle this. Just who did you think I was? Lannigan?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 4: I well pleased to make your acquaintance laughter. My name is Burwell. Wann't you light and draw the fire?
Speaker 1: Thanks? Burwell?
Speaker 4: About those questions are yours? Why do you want to know about us?
Speaker 1: For your own protection? It was a murder ten miles easter Tombstone early last night. I haven't found the killer yet. A bushwhack, you know. Yeah, and whoever did it got away with several thousand dollars in goal. Say that's too bad. It's a couple of other things too. Just after you passed through town before sunset, there was an attempt to rob the bank, you don't say. A good friend of mine named Wichita got pistol whipped while that was happening. What the hell?
Speaker 4: Things are kind of active in Tombstone, ain't they?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Now you don't think that my little outfit.
Speaker 1: I think that your outfit might be in for trouble if it met up with any of these lawbreakers. I see those questions, Burwell?
Speaker 4: Oh sure sure, slaughter Well there's eleven of us.
Speaker 1: There's eight men, three women.
Speaker 4: We left ourt city several weeks ago, aheaded for the ocean, camped on the trail last night.
Speaker 1: No special. Please, have you seen anything or anybody unusual? No, no, can't say I have keep your eyes up, and Burwell, I wouldn't want to see an innocent wagon train get drag outs.
Speaker 4: So we'll do that, Slaughter, might and I see you to ride out.
Speaker 1: To tell us for anything to do?
Speaker 4: I figure, Oh, we ain't got much by way of hospitality, but I could lay the dust.
Speaker 1: A little for you. And now that'd get down real good on a night like this.
Speaker 4: Molly, Yeah, brain the whiskey. A man's gonna have to forget his manners out on the trail.
Speaker 1: Slaughter.
Speaker 5: Here's a jug hank.
Speaker 4: Well, this here is Luke Slaughter, Molly, here's my wife, honey man.
Speaker 5: Pleasure to meet you, mister Slaughter.
Speaker 4: Don't you try this for size?
Speaker 1: Thanks? Just right?
Speaker 4: Well, it's turning into a cold night.
Speaker 1: Have another now, thanks, that doesn't It's time I got back to town. Oh, by the way, missus Burwell, one thing has me curious.
Speaker 5: What's that, mister Slaughter.
Speaker 1: Every wagon train I've ever seen carried at least half a dozen kids. You don't seem to have any.
Speaker 5: Some people don't have chilled.
Speaker 1: I guess that's right. It was just a thought. Are you being pretty personal, ain't you? Slaughter? I didn't mean to be so long, Lanagan. Maybe we'll meet up again sometime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: Like I said, Burwell, be careful AliOS. In a moment, Luke Slaughter of Tombstone returns on CBS Radio's gun Smoke Today. A colorful character named Livy learns that arson is a crime, no matter what the motive. Livy doesn't want her.
Speaker 6: Son to grow up like his alcoholic father. Her notion of how to keep the boy from drinking is set afire every saloon in Dodge City. When she threatens to act on her idea. However, she lights the fuse on an explosive situation for Marshall Matt Dillon as well as for herself. For adventure in the West as our Pioneers knew it Here this thrilling episode of gun Smoke later today on CBS Radio, and now Act two of William and Robson's production of Luke Slutter of Tombstone.
Speaker 3: Who about the time you was getting back, Luke, I was beginning to know all the coyotes by name.
Speaker 1: It was worth that which you're done. I've been talking to the man that pistol whipped you a few hours ago. He was, and after that, bunches had a chance to think it over, and I think we'll both be talking to him.
Speaker 3: Makes sense.
Speaker 1: Will you look that wagon train in Wichita. It's the headquarters for everything that's been happening around here lately.
Speaker 3: He is, Well, you just ain't gonna leave him out there and then let him go on.
Speaker 1: Unless I'm dead wrong, they're gonna send a man gunning for me, and I think I know who it'll be, that pistol whipper.
Speaker 3: Listen, that's one horse, Luke.
Speaker 1: And one riding. He's got to slow down to get through these rocks. When he does jump.
Speaker 3: Him yet, will be a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Hey, don't right drop you? What is this? Get his guns? Wichita already got him, Luke Slaughter Yeah, Lenigan slaughter.
Speaker 4: Cat a man ride to town for peaceful drink without being ambooshed.
Speaker 3: Light.
Speaker 1: But I don't see what out that horse? Oh sure, sure, Linigan. I want you to meet a friend of mine. This is the man who laid that gun barrel alongside your ear this evening.
Speaker 3: I want to kill you shame as I would have sunk.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, boys, Art, it's against my nature to fight an unarmed man, Lanigan, any one of his guns barrel first, I'll put it in your holster, Lanigan, and you're welcome to use it anytime you want to slaughter. I tell me the real story about that wagon, tray Lanagan.
Speaker 3: Why I don't what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been pistol whipped? No? No, you're about to learn what it feels like, unless you care to draw a slaughter for the love Hend killed Carl Justice, But I never heard of no car Justice. He had ten thousand dollars in gold. Yesterday's dead. Who killed him? You tell me? I'm going to rake a gun side through your left ear, talk or draw Lnagan? Who killed him? You want another one?
Speaker 3: No? No, it was Burwell. He told me not to, but he put up a fight and and and Burwill.
Speaker 1: A man doesn't fight with his back. Where did you pistol whip? Wichitel?
Speaker 3: It was Burwell's idea. He heard about you, and he thought that if you was laid low for a while, people.
Speaker 1: Did want to go after whoever got that figured?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then a couple of the boys broke that wind in the bank to make it look like.
Speaker 1: Burwell's a pretty smart man, isn't he. Yeah, he's sure, but he made the mistake of getting featherheaded yellow gun slingers like you to work for him.
Speaker 3: Look, you can't call me.
Speaker 1: I am calling you. If it isn't true. Draw take his gun, which your tile, he won't use it?
Speaker 3: Or slaughter.
Speaker 1: Please give me a chance.
Speaker 3: Just let me go and I'll go back to Dodge, and I'll never come out this way.
Speaker 1: Which a tome head his horse back toward camp and give it a slap.
Speaker 3: Sure, luke, what you're gonna do?
Speaker 1: Slaughter, I'm gonna use you for bait. Which a time you walk him back into town.
Speaker 3: Where are you going?
Speaker 1: I'm not through here yet. Oh, and get a message to Sutton, tell him to wake up the posse and spread him around the cattleman's office ready to shoot.
Speaker 3: Well, you can't face that whole wagon train by yourself.
Speaker 1: I won't have to witch a ton. When Lanagan's horse gets back to camp, they'll know something went wrong, and most of them will go to town looking for me. That's why I want that posse standing by him.
Speaker 3: Well, what do you want me to do with this year tail dragon specimen? When I get him back to town.
Speaker 1: Tie hi up in the back room of the Cattleman's office and wait for me. Oh, and don't light any lanterns.
Speaker 3: You don't have no objections if I have to ruffle this wady up shu.
Speaker 5: Do you.
Speaker 1: None at all?
Speaker 3: They come on you walk.
Speaker 7: Yes, meeting men alive, gone into the ball. Wouldn't be surprised if.
Speaker 1: You get your hands up, all of you. Who's out there, Luke Slaughter, ma'n? I do as I tell you.
Speaker 7: What's your holding?
Speaker 3: A gun?
Speaker 5: Fall?
Speaker 3: Slaughter?
Speaker 1: Are there any guards up?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: All the men folk rode into town a while back.
Speaker 1: I liked your hospitality so well, missus Burwell. I came back for some more of it.
Speaker 5: Didn't put that gun away?
Speaker 1: You don't need that, I think I might. You see, Missus Burwell, I know the whole story. And what do you mean, Lanagan talked? That's what I mean.
Speaker 8: Well, now that puts a different light on things. So Billwell lied to you about me.
Speaker 1: He lied about everything, But.
Speaker 5: This is important. I'm not his wife.
Speaker 1: What of it.
Speaker 8: You're a good looking man, mister Slaughter. Make some woman a fine husband, a rich woman, Luke, meaning, I know where there's a sack of gold big enough to last a man and a woman like you and me for the rest.
Speaker 5: Of our lives.
Speaker 1: I'll bet you do.
Speaker 5: Why don't you call me Molly?
Speaker 1: All right? Molly?
Speaker 8: Have you ever kissed a high spirited woman?
Speaker 1: Luke? Why don't we get rid of the company first?
Speaker 5: What do you want to do with them?
Speaker 1: Tie him up, spread eagled in a wagon wheel?
Speaker 8: Hi, you sure are smart. We're gonna get along fine.
Speaker 1: Now about that gold, Molly.
Speaker 5: Ah, I know Harry is there?
Speaker 1: You might as well tell me No, I don't.
Speaker 5: Know as I can trust you yet.
Speaker 1: No, No, you don't.
Speaker 8: But I want to. It's in a chest in the lead wagon.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Let's stand over there with the rest of them. What I'm gonna tie you up to, Molly Slaughter?
Speaker 9: If I had a gun, I know i'd be dead, just like Carl Justice, did you, Luke?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, we'll just shack you're carrying.
Speaker 1: The gold that belonged to Carl Justice verywell show up.
Speaker 3: Here with sect of his partners. Come up on the boardwalk, out front. Thought they was going to break in for a minute, but they decided against it. Heard one of them say.
Speaker 4: To make too much commotion where they go.
Speaker 3: Right across the street there to the Oriental.
Speaker 1: That means when we fire up some lanterns, we'll have visitors. It's the puzzy spread out just like you said on.
Speaker 3: The roof of the Oriental on top of the bank to dry good Store and Express Company.
Speaker 1: Good. How's lanigan Where he's going.
Speaker 3: To have a sore head before he hangs? I had to persuade him, guessed a leader before he goes to sleep too bad.
Speaker 1: Let's get this over with. I'm going out the front door. You light the lamps in the office.
Speaker 3: By joy, this's my old heartboard.
Speaker 1: Now, boy, come on, stay way up ro well now, slaughter boys and me.
Speaker 2: You want to talk to you?
Speaker 1: Do you talking from right there?
Speaker 2: I don't like to shout up and down the street.
Speaker 1: I do. Before you say anything else, I think you ought to know that you're covered by eighteen guns twenty including mine. And in case you think I'm not telling the truth, I ask the men on the top of the bank to speak up. Now, Just what did you want to talk about? Burwell, let's forget it, Sota, Me and the boys.
Speaker 3: Will be moulding along.
Speaker 1: No you won't. I've got some talking to do. Your women folk are tied up to the wagons out of your camp. One of your gunslingers is tied up in the office behind me, and he talked. And this, Burwell, this is ten thousand dollars in gold that I got out of your lead wagon. It belonged to Carl Justice before you killed him. You got anything to say now, Burwell, I reckon you said it all. Drop your guns and step forward, all of you, alright, man, close in and take him.
Speaker 3: Luke Nancisy King, this thing I've ever seen, got every single one of them and didn't smoke up the town a bit.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you're lucky with it down. Don't fool around with a red hot branding iron till you're ready for the roundup, Luke.
Speaker 2: Slutter of Tombstone, starring Sam Buffington, was written by Alan Buttzer and directed by William N. Robeson editorial supervision by Tom Henley. Supporting mister Buffington were Gene Carson, Junius Matthews, Lawrence Dobkin, and Chet Stratton, with music composed and conducted by Amerigo Marino.
Speaker 1: Next week. At this time we returned with slaughters the name Luke Slaughter. When we meet up again, you can call me that Luke Slaughter.
Speaker 2: This is the CBS Radio Network.