Speaker 1: What's good. It's a lot of what's good. Dis Ben Stipend, what ups Muscle. You're checking out the Cruise Show podcast. Make sure to subscribe right and ship.
Speaker 2: You see girls trying to be going to shake this time because the girls trying to.
Speaker 3: Be going.
Speaker 1: Like like.
Speaker 3: It's take.
Speaker 2: Miss from in the Morning and the d J play that song.
Speaker 1: You go right up, looking up.
Speaker 3: You want to have me dream. It's like.
Speaker 1: I got a lot of comfortable dog so many that was job for the intro man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was all cut.
Speaker 1: That's crazy right, you did.
Speaker 3: The dying have to do the bay cut?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see that.
Speaker 3: I see that, Like you like those songs when you can touch people with with joints that maybe didn't go mainstream and stuff like that and real people.
Speaker 1: Get don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: We heard it that way.
Speaker 1: This is summer. Sure put that one on the list, Like that's just earned himself another week.
Speaker 3: Man, they got big influence on us and big fan base in Saint Louis definitely like forty all that Too Short is my my father got a chance to meet Too Short this year at my birthday. That was that's my father's favorite rapper man listen, my father hip hop. He you know, in the beginning, obviously he didn't get it. My father's loved. He was like, and then came out too short. He said, now see I can understand that, brother right there. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And U freaky tales of all songs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to tell you something about my pop too, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, definitely he was off the chick.
Speaker 3: He was like, now, bitch, definitely, yeah, I can't understand that.
Speaker 1: And then he got a chance.
Speaker 3: To meet him. Man, he was he was dope. Wow, he was dope. Man. I love Short for that too, because he every time I used to see Short, I said, yo, you know you my fire. He's like, I know, I know, I know. And then Short came to my birthday, my fiftieth in Vegas, and my dad was there, and he went to my dad. He found out. He said, yo, man, Nelly, and my dad was like.
Speaker 1: No, ship God damn.
Speaker 3: Yo fu. Yeah yeah yeah man, So I love Short for that. Yeah he found out healthy Yeah my dad. Yeah, well as much as he do. You know, he cool as ship man. Too Short man, let's get this pitching man. You know, it was like what.
Speaker 1: A bitch is that?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 1: No, my pops got married again.
Speaker 3: Here my pop's closing in on eighty he yeah, he ain't doing too much.
Speaker 1: He probably got about six good hauls left. He can't be west.
Speaker 3: It's been crazy up and your dad is also growing up too, right, Like that's crazy. Like I see my dad and he's growing up too. Man, finally take us a while. Yeah, man, my dad being who he is is like, you know, this's just and we just kind of found out that he was my dad, so oh man. Yeah, so like we're just kind of re discovery each other. I mean, well he's he's extremely famous and really yeah so and I didn't find out till recently. So now it's like whoa, Like we have a lot of catching up to do. Damn right, definitely before the will.
Speaker 1: And it's hill working.
Speaker 3: He's got a hit TV show out, so he's still working, you know what I mean. So I'm like, yo, Pop's like, I know you didn't know of me, but like I'm here now, like y'all am I in the family and he welcomed me. Dope, man, you know serious, man, I think you know my dad. My dad is George Lopez really no man, y'all, I'll stop it.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 3: They think it's funny because it's like it just happened. It's so fresh on my heart. Listen, man, I don't know if y'all playing ll y'all got a lot of no serious pez.
Speaker 1: Take a look. I'm looking, brother, but I didn't want you.
Speaker 3: Know you said it, but listen, I don't say nothing.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I was like, I don't know what borderline this year?
Speaker 3: That might be right now, I guess to Nelly yea man, no wow, man, fan man like your dad is a motherfucker man that beast.
Speaker 1: He's a man great like one of my favorite shows, like Bro.
Speaker 3: You fell asleep watching the show right, No, I watched it, like damn right man. So happy to hear that. You know he's culture has forgot about him. I'm like dad, no man, man. I think, if anything, it's just a whole generation of honesty that's getting pushed back, like and comedy is one of the ones that's being shut out because they're not allowed to make light of certain things anymore. And that's what we used to use comedy for was to break ice, like to get in and and and take hard things that was tensifying the country or the world. And you got comedians come in. They take a little chisel when they say, yo, yo, yo, whatever you're thinking, think about the worst day of your life and just know that you made it through. You know what I'm saying, because we all think like, yo, this is the worst day of my life, but yet we're here, so it can never be that bad until you're gone. That's right now, Nellie, we're going on tour. We're at stagecoach Man, Apple Bottoms.
Speaker 1: Are you coming? Come on, come on with it? They're right, yeah, man.
Speaker 3: Listen, you end up.
Speaker 1: God damn right.
Speaker 3: I'm like, do use some of y'all the tickets. Your dad is a goat around this motherfucker like where he ain't walking into it.
Speaker 1: I don't know where.
Speaker 3: She me too.
Speaker 1: If I ain't had my wife, I wasn't getting it. I had to see Jackie and it was yeah, man, yo, Did you know that Ashanti was bringing hell on stage?
Speaker 3: Hell no, Hell no, man. I thought they was going to the seats. She because we had left from backstage, and she was like, yo, we're going to the seats, her and the mom and and I had my ear my ear piece and I'm like, yo, I know that fucking voice.
Speaker 1: What the hell is going on?
Speaker 3: And then I found a screen I said, Then I said.
Speaker 1: What is she doing up there?
Speaker 3: And it was yeah, man, it was to you and you were like you were looking on stage like what's going on? Yeah, like because we didn't go through that, like obviously we didn't do that in rehearsal, you know. And then she knew there she knows. She knows what she always know before me. Everything that you know that means something she knows before me. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, you proposed to her at home. She's in a pair of your boxers and a T shirt. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was right after man, I felt I had to. It was right after good man, So what were you wearing?
Speaker 3: She was in boxing what you were wearing? Yeah, yeah, something like that. That's a man You gotta put that up at the top right right, man. No, man, it was it was It was really dope, man. It was. You know, we had not too long found out that she was pregnant, and it was one of those situations where you're like, yo, you know you didn't I didn't need another baby, mama, you know what I mean. It's just like yo, right, and you know it was it was time, man, and you know.
Speaker 1: That's my baby.
Speaker 3: Man. There's what nothing else to do.
Speaker 4: You hear her refer to you, you know, as as her soulmate.
Speaker 3: My husband does feel like that's the best because you know, you life is all your relationships in life? Does the good outweigh to bad? It don't matter what relationship it is. It could be with your parents, it could be with your kids. Do they bring more good to your life than they bring bad? Period?
Speaker 1: And you don't learn.
Speaker 3: Those type of those type of lessons until you don't have that person, or until you think that this person may be bringing something that they Yeah, they may be bringing something that they don't, but you don't realize it doesn't compare because this person is bringing way more good than bad. And that's what I judge any relationship off of, no matter who it is. It could be my own kids, Like you know, it's this person and your family bringing more good to your life than bad. And if it's not, then you know you need to remove yourself from the situations. Protect your peace. Yeah, well yeah, because you're not going to give anybody else peace. You know what I'm saying, and your your energy is their energy. You know, how you be in a room, we can all be having a great fucking time. Somebody come in here and just fuck up the whole vib We all like damn a lot around you know what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, you'd be saying you'd be surprised.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know, but I don't know about around here, you know.
Speaker 3: But I'm I'm just like yo, man, Like in the studio, you could be anywhere. Man, if somebody come in and they just want your energy, you know, and it's you just want to stay positive.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Man, I think that's the only reason we still here twenty five, twenty six years later is because I'm a half fool guy.
Speaker 1: I'm not a half empty Yeah, that's right, you know what I mean? What what's her nickname? What do you call her? Something cute? You call hers? Depends depends, bro, It depends on when it where my ma.
Speaker 3: That's it my especially now because it's like I got a call her before the baby caller. She used the petition used to she used to come see what I wanted to lie faster. Now now it's like yeah, no, totally not, but yeah, basically like mom, babe Sean mm hmmm, like, and I get called everything under the sun depends, big head.
Speaker 1: Hey you know what I'm saying. I get it. Hey, Hey that's me.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, at least you don't hit you with the government.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, no, I don't know. No, she's man. No, I'm trying to figure out. I don't think she's ever called me Cornell like wow, I probably once or twice. Really, yeah, man, I know I'm in trouble when she calls me my my phone name the whole Oh congratulations, Yeah, yeah, liked on you. I'm thirty two.
Speaker 1: Damn what happened?
Speaker 3: I'm just like, bro, No, no, both you congratulations?
Speaker 5: Yeah I thought you was twenty three and twenty one or some ship. Okay, Dan nice cray like sugar Daddy?
Speaker 3: Is he dying the beer?
Speaker 1: I think he is because is he one?
Speaker 4: White hair popping out?
Speaker 1: Like I mean the salt Pepper's coming in? Yeah? Man, there you go.
Speaker 3: Maturity, you know, Maurity, that's what it's about. Man, Listen, that is brave. We'll see how long this goes.
Speaker 1: How long that last? You got songs together? Yeah, but we also have deciparation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You see he's not here today. Yeah, true, Yeah, man needs his time. Well, I mean I think that's important too, you know what I mean. It's like because you know, you learn about what you miss and then when you do get a chance to see each other. But I mean, you know, I don't want to throw that in here now, manna say good luck.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 3: Definitely like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like opinion. Yo, nearly was your MTV cribs real? Hell? Yeah, that one was real because yeah, I sold it. Your name was on on cars and no, I sold it. I sold it. I had to get rid of it.
Speaker 3: It was worst thing I did being on MTV crips because uh people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and at that time, show your address.
Speaker 3: Well first I thought, well, they showed a plate because I had my name engraved on it. Because the place where the house was in Saint Louis, it was historic.
Speaker 1: It was the first house in that lake area.
Speaker 3: It was actually the guy who bought the property around the thing right, so he had the prime spot on that lake.
Speaker 1: It was surrounded by water. But when we.
Speaker 3: Did it, I'm thinking, this is my end all be all. Now I'm not knowing that we're just getting started as a group and we were going to keep having success and things like that. So when I did it, there's there was no gate. There was no gate on the house, and people were pulling their boats up to the dock. My mom is out by the pool. Motherfucker pull a boat up on the dock, walk up the dock and y'all don't know my mom, but my mom is off the chain and.
Speaker 1: She start, yo, what up, get your hat? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I had the we moved. We got gates and ship after that, so you got a family to protect. Yeah, people stopping buy un announcement. I was like in oh what was that old one O two some ship like that, and people were just yeah, man, they were coming by.
Speaker 1: But I thought I was gonna be there forever. Yeah, like you're forever home. You bought it, you've always wanted.
Speaker 3: I never knew. I was like, this is it, this is fly forever. No, I won't be here another year after did you say?
Speaker 1: Probably about a year?
Speaker 3: But I had it for a minute because I was using the studio. I had a studio built it and I was using it at that time for a lot of our artists and personal and things like that.
Speaker 1: But the house is on TikTok right now. It's abandoned.
Speaker 3: No, not, that's not the house, a different house. That's a different house. I had that house after that. And what happened with that house was my sister had decorated that house. That house had my sister all over it. And then when my sister passed, I got out of it. I couldn't bear it. It was it was a dobie. It was No. I don't deal with those situations. Yea, very well, you know what I'm saying. And I'm like, yo, I'm out of this joint. Man. But yeah, man, And now you know, we got a whole nother crib obviously because I got the wife and things like that, and we're looking to probably moved down to Tennessee or some shit, no states acts.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: I love an old Dashville right about now, right somewhere quiet Acridge. You know you go, yeah, I like l a, but piss off your balcony without hitting the neighbor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we're on top of each other. Million dollars. Somebody hate million dollars. I can see the neighbor he right there. Yeah, ves living in Vegas. Is I dambled too much.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lit to you, trying to get you one day at a time, step for you, trying to put Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Jesus Christ, I don't know how to you know. I think I'm a winner. I'm a fight that's right to the end, to the very end. Yes, sir, Yo, it was good to see the takes on stage. Yeah, man, my cats man, my cats man, my energy. I looked to the left, didn't see t Tho for a minute, didn't see Randy for a minute. Now we're back out here. I was like, yo, in my guys, I guess, but long time man, been knowing well, you know Keiwana Murphy Lee brothers City Cities like my little brother. And we've been since grade school. Murph was like eight years old and met Keewan racing competitive in the park, playing soccer together and shit like that. And man, we've been a team where if one of us makes it, we all make it.
Speaker 1: Everybody.
Speaker 3: Well that's the that's the that's the the gist of it. That's the only way it could have been, you know what I mean. We had to do what we had to do. You know what I'm saying, And this was the path that was gonna lead not just us, but our whole city into a different situation.
Speaker 1: So you got to make light of whatever chances you get.
Speaker 3: You know, we didn't grow up with the best situations, you know what I mean. And again, I'm a glass half full, so I'm not gonna complain about it. I'm gonna try to make the best out of it and just understand that it's a lot of motherfuckers that are trade with me any day, every day. So you know, Wow, you know, LA Radio has been with you radio in general, Clear Channel. iHeart Now Radio has had your back, I believe since day one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for a long time.
Speaker 3: Definitely, LA played a lot of our records first, definitely before Garcia. You were there for that different, different genre in different cities. But one of our biggest moments I know for myself was Tower Records, like and we came out here for like the in store yeah and yeah it's a supreme store now, and we saw, yeah, that's crazy, and we saw this big ass line that was down and it wasn't in Saint Louis like we was used to lines. You know, Saint Louis's cool, but when we came to do an autograph signing out here and it was just line all the way down Sunset's.
Speaker 1: Like, damn, these people are here for us, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like la though, like not like like for us, like we from Saint you know, we're from like damn, And that's that's kind of like when you know, yeah, land from fucking culture, like just culture because again Saint Louis, there's a big West Coast love in Saint Louis all the way Boom and the Bay Area. Actually it is similar to Saint Louis in some of the ways, some of your neighborhoods and some of the things, some of the similarities. We drive old schools, Yeah, we drive the same old schools. We were just putting the big rims on them first forty towards forty was like, yeah, you know, we did the right but we weren't putting the big rims on that like that. And yeah, yeah, man h Town is huge too, so but we just got love for the West Coast, and the West Coast reciprocated that when we were getting on even with Murph record when his record dropped, when the album. When Free City, the Lunatics album dropped, West Coast jumped on it first. Man, I mean, well outside of Saint Louis, but definitely yeah, Man, y'all showed us a lot of loose still do radio, man, And you walk in it's your first time you greet everybody. Hey, man, you're thankful. You don't get that shit. Everybody ain't still out here walking around working on twenty six years later, and I tell anybody I'm booked for life, thankfully, you know what I'm saying, for life, man, And you don't get that, you know, So yeah, yeah, you still are man when you can get them numbers. Yeah, And like the numbers right to come up was so much tougher than what it is today, right, And that's not taking away from what's happening today, but like you had to sell physicals, yes, it's just streaming hard tickets. You had to go up against some of the greats that we know today, right, and not only in hip hop but the pop accent alternative.
Speaker 1: But that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: I said that somewhere and I didn't want people to take it out of content era because of the era, But what I was saying was like when we was coming out, hip hop just wasn't about hip hop. Like we were competing on being number one against everybody. But at that time, hip hop was at a pinnacle where we were the mainstream music, you know what I'm saying. And when you're looking at fifty cents and you're looking at job Rules, and you're looking at Eminem's and Doctor Dre is still putting out records, and Snoop is still putting out records, and for Rell it's still wasn't out records, and you know, and you're competing with these people, and then you turn around and then.
Speaker 1: You got Tis, you got Looters.
Speaker 3: And then it's NonStop and you fighting for that for that one spot. It's truly but you love that competitiveness and you love that nature of it. But it was tough, man, It was. It was tough because people had to buy into you, you know, not like you get a moment on TikTok or something like that and your shit blows up.
Speaker 1: But well, we did a lot of different things back then.
Speaker 3: At the same time, though everybody's getting chained, Nellie's not getting chained up, like you had to like kick that door.
Speaker 1: Down, you and your team. Everybody was cracking.
Speaker 3: Up, I guess, but then spread it around like I never wanted to be put in just a box.
Speaker 1: I was always a yo. I'm gonna try to keep a door open.
Speaker 3: So even if it was hip hop, if it didn't take off over there, you got a pop land. If the pop lane then kick off, you got a country land. If the country lane wasn't kicking off, you could try this little R and B lane. But you keep options. Life is about options. And never wanted to be put into a box because I felt like we made great music. Period, we made great music. Hip Hop is our foundation, so I love is what raised us. But I was raised in music by my uncle rest in Peace, who is actually the first one in my family to put out a record. In eighty eight, he recorded Rudy Haynes. He recorded a record. That's the one who taught me about music. That's who taught me how to count bars. You know what I'm saying. That's the one who taught me because I've been in band since I was in seventh grade. You can't you can't pass band and you don't know how to count bars. You know, it's a requirement, like you know how to count boom and you know, how to put songs together. And he taught me song structure. He taught me how to do different things. So you apply that to what I was doing, man, And I was able to you know what I'm saying, like touch a lot of people with various versions of Nelly. Ah, Yeah, you did. It's crazy. What Jack? How does it feel like?
Speaker 4: Last night at Diheart Awards, we were celebrating twenty five years in country grammar? Right, does it actually make you feel.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't seem like it goes that fast.
Speaker 3: It don't. It don't. It don't seem like that at all, Man.
Speaker 1: It did, But yeah, in reality, it is how much does the United States of America pay you to perform?
Speaker 3: Ah? It depends, bro, It depends. You know what I'm saying. You know, I'm a military baby. I grew up on a military base. My father served, my uncle served, my grandfather serve, my aunt serf, my retired.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was always I respect chain of command. You know what I'm saying. I respect the office. I respect it's it's it's it's it's nothing about anything else other than respect. And I think that's what's being lost in certain situations. It's not about who you boom boom boom boom boom. It's just about respect, man, And I give respect. I say, yes, sir, no, ma'am and anybody that knows me, it's just about that, you know what I'm saying. But I do, man. We perform for the troops. We've done that. You know, ain't no money in that, but you know we did it in Asia and things like that. We've been to South Korea and seeing the North Korea, you know, the what they call that the I forgot. Yeah, yeah, right there on. We did all that, man, and you know we give, We give back tremendously. You know, our work in the community is it speaks for itself, you know, and regardless of you know, how people feel, you know politically, that's that, that's your right. But for what we do, it'll never take away from what we do in the community. I'm gonna show me what you're doing. Don't show me that you're loud. Show me what you're doing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Don't tell me what you're doing. Yeah, show me what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Don't, don't. Don't.
Speaker 1: You can have your opinion, you don't have.
Speaker 3: To agree but show me what you're doing, show me the receipts.
Speaker 1: It's easy to say, oh, why do that.
Speaker 3: Okay, you don't agree with that, fine, But now what are you doing? Because you know, we send kids to school every year, we give back to our community every year. We're very very big in the community in Saint Louis, just like Snoop is very very big out here in his community. And I can't even imagine how many kids lives he's saved with his football league. You know things out here. You know, I don't know how many kids Rick Ross has given back to in the neighborhoods.
Speaker 1: It's about what you're doing.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. And it kills me that sometimes a decision can offset what they do.
Speaker 1: What they do.
Speaker 3: It should be it's your work. You don't agree with that, that's fine, but you can't take away the work that these people are putting in because the hard is pure and we're honestly affecting our communities more so than the people who are yapping. You know what I'm saying, Like you gotta y'all yappers. You know what I'm saying a lot of yappers like it's like, show me what you're doing. Man, it's easy. It's easy to talk that part. Of course, He's father served our country.
Speaker 1: Y oh man, yoh man, Pops grateful for the service.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, so, I mean we even talked about putting together something again to go around and doing something for the troops again. Man, I mean, you know, I I'm grateful. I'm grateful people putting their lives on the line for us. Man.
Speaker 1: That's that's huge.
Speaker 3: I don't know if.
Speaker 1: If any of us is just going to just take a gun then just go ah. You know what I'm saying is that's all right? Yeah, no, Nell, appreciate the time, and then thank you for having us.
Speaker 3: Man, Thank you for having us, man, Yeah, thank you for having us. Man. We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man, be on the lookout.
Speaker 3: What a part of your tour that's coming up? Man. You know what I'm saying, shout out to my brother's Keewan Murphy Lee City spud in the building in here, and yeah, so we've become a real sooner.
Speaker 1: Yeah man, I'm gonna tell my dad that you believe the joke.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, no, no, it's real, yeah yo, man, as real as you. But what I'm saying is you just found out. Yeah no ship, Yeah did he No, he'd been there. It's not true.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding. Listen, man, I'm tired. I can't even messing with you.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: Really he did.
Speaker 3: What the fuck one in on it?
Speaker 1: I mean it could have been, man, everybody tells him that.
Speaker 3: It's still it still could have been though we were more in the same hospital.
Speaker 1: So that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Really, that's on God, that's all my kids. That's all my kids. I got two kids. Yeah, man, I'm.
Speaker 1: Out here on the limb now. No, No, Bro, I love you, Bro, I love you. I love you too, man, But you motherfucker.
Speaker 3: I'm like, Nah, this guy's expression hasn't changed.
Speaker 1: He got the stoic white guy. He's rushing, he hasn't moved. I respect you too much. Yes, No, like I love you too much, respect you too much. I gotta tell you the same. Here you can put this motherfucker on the stand.
Speaker 4: Hey Jack get Rich from The Cruise Show. Thanks for listening to The Crui Show podcast. Make sure to subscribe and here auto download so you don't miss an episode. So