Speaker 1: Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have a great show for you tonight. We have Rich Hill joining US America's pitcher, a guy that pitched four seasons with the Dodgers after being acquired from the then Oakland Athletics at the trade deadline in twenty sixteen. He was part of back to back Dodger teams that went to the World Series became up short, and he also played for Mike Sooshia at forty four years old, pitching for Mike Soshia in the Premiere sixteen for Team USA this past offseason. So we'll check in with one of the more popular Dodgers over the course of the last twelve years, in Rich Hill, and coming up at the bottom of the hour, you will hear our conversation with Andre Ethier that took place on Saturday night at the Arrogant Butcher and downtown Phoenix. But before we get to those two veterans and two guys that left it all out on the field, let's recap today's game. The Dodgers beat the Texas Texas Rangers eight to four, Dustin May pitched three scoreless innings and look the way the Dodger starting rotation is shaping up. These are my five Yamamoto, Glass, now snell Sazaki, and Tony Gonsolin. Where does that leave Dustin May Well. Dave Roberts said that if Dustin May doesn't break camp with the Dodgers, there's a chance they may want to have him go on a rehab a signment considering he is a lot dinner than what he was last spring because of the esophagus tear and the life threatening scare he had. So that's in play for him to probably start the year on the IL and go on a rehab assignment before the Dodgers consider what their options are to bring Dustin May back. Because Yeah, I know the Dodgers have talked about a six man rotation, and I have said this repeatedly that the Dodgers ever since Andrew Friedman took over, have basically been employing five days of rest for their starters and not necessarily making an announcement or sending out a press release that it's a six man rotation. The reason why they only need five starters is the first month of the year they basically have a day off every Thursday or a travel day every Thursday. So that's the reason why they don't need a six man rotation. Not to mention, Sho Hao Tani not expected to pitch until May June ish, so we'll get to that in a second. The Dodgers hit three home runs tonight or today. Will Smith went deep for the first time this spring, Tommy Edmund went deep again, and Freddie Freeman hit his third home run of the year.
Speaker 2: Freddy Freeman base is empty, two out.
Speaker 1: He swings HiT's.
Speaker 2: A high drive left field and deep going back, and Freddie Freeman has hit it out, his third spring home run, an officer field shot, nevera Dodgers leader, turn Enougher.
Speaker 1: Freddie Freeman's remarkable. He's going to the Hall of Fame. He's one of the best hitters right now in Major League Baseball, coming off thirteen weeks of right ankle surgery. It was thirteen weeks ago that he had right ankle surgery on that famous or infamous right ankle that you know, hobbled him throughout the entire October. But so far this spring, Freddy is five for fourteen. Five of his hits are home runs, excuse me. Three of his five hits are home run. So he's five for fourteen this spring with a three point fifty seven batting average, three home runs. So Freddie hasn't missed a beat. Show. Hey, O'tani was two for four today and that brings me to this buzz that is going online right now that the sky is falling. Otani's elbow has re injured just because he hasn't thrown a bullpen session in nine days. Look, Andrew Friedman laid the plan out for spring training. Otani was never going to face hitters in spring training. Here's Andrew Friedman on Dodger Talk from Dodger Fest laying that all out for everybody. What should be our expectations of what we see him do on the mound during the time at Camel Back Ranch.
Speaker 3: I don't know yet. You know, he's playing long toss and he will start progressing and advancing. I don't know yet as far as win will start facing hitters. We haven't figured that out. We want to get around him, be a part of a stowing program with our pitching guys, and you know, each and every day he's with our trainers right now, and you know he's kind of moving out of rehab phase and to go compete mode, and so exactly how that progresses we haven't figured out yet.
Speaker 1: But there is a possibility a fan might be there on a Tuesday afternoon and see him maybe just pitch to somebody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe left handed or underhanded or something.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know when he's gonna face hitters yet, but I do know he is gonna pitch for us this year and be a big part of what we do on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: There you go, Andrew Friedman, even before the Dodgers got to spring training, laying and out there that you shouldn't expect to see Otani face hitters. And I am very confident in saying this. There is no new injury or irritation to his right pitching elbow. Look, Dave Roberts may have gotten a little bit too loose with it when he tried to, you know, just throw a piece of meat to the media at Dodger Fest and say, yeah, Otani's gonna pitch in May. Andrew Friedman never put a timetable on when Otani was gonna come back and pitch. You just heard him, and Dave is a lot more in the micro, and Friedman's job is to be not only in the micro, but in the macro. So I'm going with Andrew Friedman. He never put may as a timetable for Otani to come back and pitch. And that's why it's hilarious to me that everybody's trying to make a story that isn't a story that Otani has not thrown a bullpen session in nine days, which, oh, by the way, has coincided with him starting to dh for the Dodgers in spring training games. Remember he had left shoulder surgery. Remember he's got to be ready to lead off for the Dodgers next week in Tokyo, Japan. If this was a regular pitcher and all he did was pitch and he hadn't thrown a bullpen session in nine days, the alarm bells would be going off for me. But this guy, as you know, is super unique. There's a lot going on here. He not only is coming off a second Tommy John surgery, but it wasn't convenient for him to dislocate his left shoulder. He has to be ready to hit to start the year. He doesn't need to be ready to start a game on March whatever. So take it from me, it's not a big deal that he hasn't thrown a bullpen session in nine days. He's balancing a lot, and the Dodgers never had a plan for Otani to face hitters a during spring training or B that he has to be ready at some point in time in May, even if he didn't have the left shoulder surgery. Even if he wasn't show Heyotani, the Dodgers were more than likely going to slow play Otani like they have slow played every other pitcher coming off an elbow injury. So they had those innings for the second half of the year and have it for the month of October. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Another big story emerging, and this one is a real one. The Dodgers and Dave Roberts are closing in on an extension for their manager, who has won two World Series Championships, who has taken the Dodgers to four World Series and has won two of them. Dave Roberts only has one year left on his contract, which is this year. You don't want to have a lame duck manager. With this roster, with these expectations going into the season, and Joel Sherman from The New York Post is reporting that the Dodgers and Dave Roberts will finalize a record setting contract by the time the plane takes off for Tokyo, Japan next Wednesday. So Dave Roberts, who is likely to get more annual salary than Craig Counsel got from the Cubs, which was eight million for five years, Dave probably wants to beat that, just like any athlete would want to beat whoever he believes he deserves more than or he's better than. So whether it's nine million or ten million, Dave Roberts is going to exceed the annual average salary that Craig Counsel and Alex Cora got from their team. So that's on the verge of happening. And look, I don't believe you fully appreciate what it takes to manage the Dodgers in twenty twenty four and twenty twenty five. It's not just managing those twenty six guys. It's not just filtering the information. It's not just having a relationship with his coaching staff. It's not just about managing up with Andrew Freeman and working with him. He does a lot of different things that other managers don't have to deal with because of the enormity and national international brand, I should say of the Dodgers. Meeting with sponsors, meeting with fans, meeting with season ticket holders, meeting with premium sponsors. He does all of that and then has to manage a game at seven to ten. So you know, he does a lot more than just nine of managing, and he deserves to be rewarded for that. He deserves to be rewarded for winning two World Series championships and sustaining a great relationship with his players, with Andrew Friedman first and foremost, and with the people that pay the bills. There's a lot that goes into it. So happy to hear that Dave Roberts and the Dodgers are going to work this out before they even play a game in Tokyo, and we'll find out what it is. Dave's fifty two years old. He loves being the Dodgers manager, and he does a great job of understanding what it is and what it means to be a Dodger. He has a connection to the old Dodgers, and I think there's a value to that as well. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, Rich Hill will join us America's pitcher who still wants to pitch. You'll hear from him next right here on a five to seventy LA Sport, your home for the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers is a friend of assay type of show because Andre Ethier, you're going to hear from him coming up in the next segment. And right now we are joined by a man that Dodger fans loved when he was on the mound for them. Four great years, the four best years of his life were spent in southern California from twenty seventeen, you know, twenty sixteen to twenty nineteen. And he's a guy that is America's pitcher. And it was evident, and it came to fruition pitching for Mike Sooshia and Team USA this past offseason. And it is the one and only Rich Hill joining us from Massachusetts. Even though he won't disclose the exact location, he is in Beantown calling into Dodger Talk. Rich, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it, David, thank you for having me on.
Speaker 1: It's great to hear your voice, Rich, and I know everybody loves hearing your voice.
Speaker 4: It's great, great to hear your voice and great to get back in touch with the Dodger fans. Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with some of the some of the best years in baseball that I've been able to experience was in a Dodger uniform and pitching. Uh, you know obviously at that that great ballpark in LA. That's that's uh, you know, Dodger stadiums. Everybody always asked me, what's your favorite park to pitch in? And and uh, Dodger Stadium is right up there as number one.
Speaker 1: You played for eleven different teams and still counting.
Speaker 4: Thirteen thirteen thirteen, David thirteen.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, the list is very long and distinguished. I apologize long.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like a receipt from CVS.
Speaker 1: Yes, no doubt, no doubt it is. But when you look back at your time with the Dodgers, Rich, uh, what are the fondest memories? I mean, you came close to two no hitters. You had such great chemistry with so many guys on this team that lasts to this day. What stands out to you the most of those years?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the friendships that were built over the years. Uh, you know, when we were in La just the camaraderie with those teams, the fans, you know, that was that was we had such good teams obviously, and we won and that brought you know, the fans out to come and watch us play. But just the intensity that the fans brought and the love that they have for the Dodgers, and you know that emanated over into the clubhouse. And then obviously, you know, for me on an own, my own you know, personal performance wise, I you know, wanted to leave everything out there on the field every time I got the opportunity to pitch, you know, for them and also for the you know guys in the clubhouse because they were doing the same thing on a nightly basis. And that's what made it so much fun is just seeing the effort that the guys were putting forth night in and night out, and you know, to do it in that stadium with those fans, it really is special and you know to everybody now with the success that is going on, really enjoy it because you know it's something that Again being from this area where I'm at right now in Boston, there was a tremendous amount of success for a long time with a lot of Boston franchises here. But you know, it comes and goes, so you really have to appreciate it while it's going on, and I know that the Dodger fans certainly do do that.
Speaker 1: Hey, Rich, you're one hundred percent right. Nothing stays the same, it's always changing. I was thinking about this the other day. That's how sick I am. I wasn't thinking about my kids, I wasn't thinking about my wife. I was thinking about the two biggest sports disappointments in my life in Los Angeles sports and the nineteen eighty four Lakers losing giving that series of way to the Celtics is at the top, and a close second is twenty seventeen for a number of different reasons. Obviously we know the Astros were cheating, but for you, you were so close to winning the World Series. How much do you think about twenty seventeen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, you know, I think a lot of it will be thought about post career, post playing and when everything's all said and done, and looking back on certain moments and you know, talking about how my career has kind of ebbed and flowed and had a lot of milestones of perseverance through it and understanding how to continue to keep moving forward when you get knocked down. But yeah, I definitely think about twenty seventeen because that's a culmination of many careers to be able to win a World Series. And I think all the personal accolades that come along with playing fall in the face of winning a World Series, you know, and really throughout that whole twenty seventeen and into twenty eighteen, those two seasons, you know, again, even though we didn't get a chance to raise the trophy, and you know, see the top of the mountain, you know, at the at the end of those seasons, it's who we became throughout the process. So I think that's that's something when we look back on it, and I look back on twenty seventeen, it's it's really the perspective that has gained of understanding, you know, the hard work, the perseverance, what it takes to you know, the the ingredients into a championship season. So really understanding it from that perspective puts everything kind of in a better light for me.
Speaker 1: What do you remember the most after being in that clubhouse with your teammates after Game seven of the seventeen World Series. I heard a few of you hung around and just kind of chopped it up. What do you remember about that experience?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was very emotional. I think you know, you put in one hundred and sixty two games plus you know, forty five days in spring training, an entire offseason.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know that the team has been built to win. Uh, you know, we want to. I think we won what one hundred and seven games that year or something, and you know, at the time, one of the best teams of all time in Major League history. Uh, and and to fall short, you know, it was it was a very emotional experience. And uh that's why you play the game though, and and to have that kind of uh peel back to curtain or or understand why we are doing this or you know, it's not for it's not for financial gain, it's not for you know, playing at the highest level. It's to win. Yes, those things are great, but it is to win a World Series and to be able to get in that position and and put yourself in that position is is so it's so fleeting, uh. And then to have it come and go, it's almost like a wedding night. You know, it's just like wow that that happens so fast.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then you know, regrouping again for the off season, getting ready to do it, uh for the next year. It seems like, you know, it's like, okay, we have we know we're going to do really well during the season. We just got to stay healthy, get through the season, and then once we get to the playoffs, we're gonna make a push to win a World Series again. But it's really it's funny because you think about it as uh, you know, this this this uh marathon that you just ran, and then and then you know again you have to you have to start again and and and uh. That's that's part of the the joy of the journey though too. You know, going through it, there's not a lot of uh glamour or or anything like that that goes along with playing at the highest level because it's it's really the grind and learning how to get through uh difficult moments and and continue to persevere and battle through UH soreness or injury or or you know, just terrible outcomes or poor performances mentally physically, UH, you continue to just gain uh, you know, reference points from the season before. So that's that's really for me, you know, moving forward as as a player and hopefully as a uh you know, somebody who could help other players in the future. UH, you know, see that ten thousand foot view and and understand the perspective that they'll have for for an entire career instead of just being you know, caught up in uh an outcome. And and that's something that you know, those years certainly gave me a different perspective than UH and fortunate to have it because there's a there's a number of players that get to play this game and they never get an opportunity to play in a World series, let alone the playoffs. So you know, that's something you know, that that I'm definitely grateful for.
Speaker 1: And rich Hill wants to start the journey again even after twenty seasons. Rich Hill, who was fantastic for Mike Sosia's Team USA team this past offseason in Tokyo, Japan, is not ready to call it a career. There's a lot left in that Boston gas tank of his. So you are not retired, You're just winning for that opportunity, right Rich.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it was great experience. We went to Mexico with Team USA, we qualified to go to Japan and we ended up winning the bronze medal in Japan in the Premiere twelve tournament this past offseason. And you know, with Dino Ebol, Mike Soshia, you know, we had a great coaching staff there with with with all the players, you know, a lot younger than I am, obviously, David. I think that the on average, I think everybody was twenty two on that team. But I enjoyed it so much and I threw the ball great came out of my hand the way that I wanted to. You know, season, I get to do what I wanted to do as far as you know, kind of planning out the entire summer, having an opportunity to come back and pitch out of the bullpen with the Red Sox, which was something that I hadn't done in I don't know, ten or twelve years. So that was certainly an interesting challenge, but gratifying in the fact that I was able to you know, see it through and to get the opportunity to start again. Really it was just something that reignited the love for going out there and competing and knowing that I can contribute to a team and not just contribute, you know, in a small way, but I think it could be a major contribution, you know, for this twenty twenty five season. So with that, we'll we'll wait to see where kind of all the chips fall after spring training. And as we know, an unfortunate part of the game is injuries, and we're already seeing some of those, you know, happening throughout baseball. And I know that there will be needs for teams to uh, you know, looking for starting pitching. So you know, I'm on my end. I'm just staying ready and throwing and working out and and you know, seeing where that that fit might be.
Speaker 1: And somebody definitely could use and certainly gain some traction by signing rich Hill, who is still has a lot left in the tank, far from over, as the great Frank Stallone would say, Richie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I you know, I'll be forty five here in a couple of days, and I think that's kind of you know, one of the things for teams. They I totally get it. It's, you know, a risk management type of probably outlook for them. How many forty five year old pitchers are still looking to play? I don't think there are any, so.
Speaker 1: No, you know, by the way, did you just did you just promote your birthday which is on March eleventh? Were you promoting in Los Angeles that the fact your birthday is coming up? Was that? Was that a humble brag?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I guess so. I you know, I'm I hate the prize parties. I'm not a birthday party guy. For grudgingly, I don't you know, I'm like, I don't know. Whenever it's my birthday, leave me alone.
Speaker 1: I heard you're waiting to sign with the team until after your wife and kids and family throw you your birthday party on March eleventh. After that, if you're willing to sign with the.
Speaker 4: Team, well, I felt I felt so good in in in Japan, pitched really well, pitch well in Mexico, you know, And had I not, you know, I think that realistically, seeing obviously the writing on the wall, I would have made a sound decision to to move on. But you know that wasn't necessarily the fact. So uh, that's That's where I'm at right now, and I feel great and again, uh you know I I I think that experience, uh, coupled with you know, the understanding of how to pitch in that realm of pitching, not just throwing, there will be a need out there for clubs.
Speaker 1: Heck, yeah, there will be. Rich Hill is our guest America's pitcher and basically the anchor, right next to Glarry Bird and Robert Parrish and Kevin McHale, Rich Hill, Bobby the King of Boston and your little brother, Walker Bueller has signed with the Red Sox. If you're still not signed with the team and you're still living in Boston and celebrating your birthday which is coming up, as you promoted on March eleventh, how much of a connection do you still have with Walker? How much do you believe that he'll tap into you? Are you trying to gouch him on rent in Boston somewhere? What is the dynamics between you and Bueller now that he's in Boston.
Speaker 4: Now, I've talked with Walker and you know, congratulated him obviously on signing with Boston, and I love the uh the number choice of zero. I think that's uh, that's that's really uh, you know, perfect for Boston. And uh, he's going to do great here. People are gonna love him, I mean, just as they did in La because of his just the way he goes out there and you know, does his thing and and leaves it all out on the field, and everybody appreciates that. That's what they appreciate anywhere when you're buying the ticket to go watch the show, right, Yeah, and uh, he certainly brings that emotion that's tied with the ticket. That's the reason why we go to live events. We want to see a performance that you know, you go see a live theater and and and and it's it's very visceral. It's right there in your face. So he's going to bring it here in Boston, and Boston's fortunate enough to to have him. So I think it's going to be a great fit.
Speaker 1: I haven't asked you this before. What he did in Game five of the World Series is legendary, as legendary as Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slam in Game one. What did you think about the young kid that was lockered next to you in twenty seventeen, growing into that picture that could do something that he was never comfortable with and do it on the biggest stage.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's you know, the experience that has led right to that moment. So when you get the experience and the seasoning coupled with the moment and the opportunity when you're ready to seize that moment, that is exactly what everybody got to see. And that was you know, that was just the timing and again the struggles, the you know, ups and downs that he's gone through with you know, being injured, coming back, but again all the time and the effort, like I've said before, the days, the weeks, the months, the years that he's put in all showed in that one moment because it all came together, you know, with the experience, the ability to be able to control the situation at the highest level in the biggest moment, all came together for Walker and it was it was beautiful to see.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, Rich And like I said, a team certainly could use your experience and what you showed for Team USA this past offseason. But if it's a little delayed, I would love to see you at Fenway Park when Walker Bueller makes his first start with the Red Sox. That would be special.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be really cool. Yeah. I got to find out when that's gonna be. And uh, it'll be the first time I think I've sat in the stands to watch a watch a game. Maybe maybe I can get up in the booth and do an inning fall an inning?
Speaker 1: I mean you did that in spring training last year? Are you doing it again this year?
Speaker 4: We'll see, I uh not one hundred percent sure. I know whether it's uh with with radio or TV. We'll we'll figure it out. I you know, I haven't put the glove down obviously, place so that's that's kind of the big big.
Speaker 1: I guess all right, we've made that I have not. Richill is not retired, but you may see him at Fenway Park when Number zero makes his Boston debut. Rich we could have you on the whole hour and one night we will do that where fans can call in and talk to you and just show you how much you mean to them to this day. But you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here anymore.
Speaker 4: Well, I love La Dave, which obviously that was you know, great years. Great memory and and uh great memories throughout those those years there in l A and and certainly we do miss it. We we we love we loved you know, like I said, the time there and and and just the support that everybody gave us so is uh it's it's uh you know, special place.
Speaker 1: Well, you're always welcome back, Rich and uh we'll see what happens and what transpires uh in Major League Baseball and where the long journey leads you this year. Thank you for the time, and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 4: All right, Dave, thank you for having me on.
Speaker 1: Hey. There he goes Rich Hill. One of the best guys you'll ever meet in your life and one of the truest competitors you'll ever meet. There he goes Rich Hill, America's pitcher, one of the greatest guys you'll ever meet, one of the greatest competitors you will ever see. Take the mound in a major league stadium or even a park in reck somewhere in Boston, Milton, Massachusetts, anywhere he will pitch until his arm falls off. It feels like he's about to turn forty five, as he announced to us, and he is not retired. He wants to sign with the team, so we'll see where that leads. Coming up next on Dodger Talk, we will hear from Andre Ethier, another fierce competitor. He joined us live in downtown Phoenix. Don't go anywhere, David vasse with you until eight o'clock right here on a five seventy LA Sports, your home for the world champion Los Angeles Stocks. Last Saturday in Phoenix, Arizona, we had a chance to be joined by two number sixteens that Warren for the Dodgers, Rick Monday, a nineteen eighty one World Series hero, and Andre Ethier, who played all twelve of his Major league seasons with the Dodgers wearing number sixteen. We appreciated them coming by our Dodger Talk broadcast last Saturday. Andre Ethier, who played all twelve Major league seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers and as a great ambassador man, two lefties, two Arizona State Sun Devils, and two number sixteens right here sitting at the same table. There's a lot in common here. Thank you for joining us. Ehier, Please sit down. I'm sorry the valet wasn't ready for you when you showed up.
Speaker 5: Oh that's all right, but I'm glad one of us dressed up at least today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, what do you mean? This is your type of shirt right here?
Speaker 5: The wolf? What do you think you put some wolfs and snakes on it?
Speaker 1: And you're an Arizona A lot of edge, yeah, a lot of edge right Hey, Rick, Monday.
Speaker 5: Monday, guys, what an honor. A quick story to share with you, real quick. Vasse kind of mentioned it. But a little full circle for me and Rick Arizona State, Arizona State. I got my number sixteen given to me by the clubhouse staff my first game in Dodger Stadium, not by my choice. I didn't choose sixteen. It was given to me because Rick war sixteen and played at Arizona State. Paul Laduca played at Arizona State in war number sixteen, and I was the third Sun Devil to come along and from Arizona State. So a little full circle there that Arizona State and Dodgers wearing sixteen is is a pretty cool thing.
Speaker 1: And maybe you guys could chip in some nil money since you're all mister Arizona State.
Speaker 5: Wow, I mean, I know we're to talk about money now like this, Come on, guy too.
Speaker 1: Proud Arizona State guys.
Speaker 5: Spend some money on your outfit.
Speaker 1: Wh what's it like for you? Andre Ethier actually was a coach. Coach Ethier in camp this spring. He put on the uniform and he had the edge out there. What was it like being around the team as a as a guest instructor.
Speaker 5: It's fun? Uh, getting getting to come back and not have the pressure of making the team and getting to put on the uniform. Is there any is there anything better than that? But Uh, I mean I'm in awe, I'm in off seen. Uh. You know those guys out there and the quality of players this team has, and the way this organization just keeps figuring out a way to get better. You think it isn't possible, but they keep figuring out a way to make this team better. With everything out there and you know that new uh batting cage facility. Uh did you.
Speaker 1: Get to go and this very secretive batting lab.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the batting lab. I don't know if anyone's seen this batting lab, but it's.
Speaker 1: A big structure now where just outdoor cages used to be. When andre Ethier showed up a camel back ranch.
Speaker 5: Yes, and now it's fully endorsed, so no one knows what's going on in there. But yeah, it's a pretty impressive, you know, facility with all the bells and whistles that you can want from the pitching hitting side, tons of cameras and analytics type information going on in there. Guys can get in there really dial in their swing and pictures the same way. That's where all the catchers are doing a lot of their work early on or after workout. They go in there and they have some camera motion stuff so the catchers can analyze, you know, they're framing some of their footwork stuff they're doing. So, yeah, there's a lot of high level and then I guess the brains of the organization from the analytics movement side. Everything is has offices in that in that building also, so they're in their dissecting coming up with a game plan and figure out to make this team better.
Speaker 1: Everybody wants to know what's it like to be up close and personal with show hey Otani. I mean we get close to him on the backfields there as close as fans can ever get to Otani to see just how big and how much of our presence physically he is. For a guy like you that played the game. What's it like to see a specimen like him?
Speaker 5: I think that was the most surprising thing when I first met him was how big he is. You know, he's a he's a he's a very big guy and uh, you know, and thick, thicker than you think too, and uh it makes sense why the ball goes so far when he hits it. Yeah, yeah, he's a big guy. And I think that the thing that first impressed me, not only about that, was just also how humble he is. You know, a guy who's achieved so much in his breaking records NonStop in this game, and you see the historic season he had last year, and he is still just like a little kid out there running around and enjoying the game, having fun. And I think he loves being a Dodger, you can tell it. And I think that's that's the best thing for me, is to see someone who has now found his hopefully forever baseball home, which is the good side of LA. Uh, which that isn't even Lad's Anaheim. Yeah we don't talk about that, but what are the real la.
Speaker 1: Yeah we are.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm glad he's a part of our team and organization, and he's gonna be a Dodger forever.
Speaker 1: Andre Ethier, the Mexican Prince of the Desert, is joining us here at the Arrogant Butcher.
Speaker 5: What do you get that, nicolottle bout.
Speaker 1: Nicol little ultra? Is that what you're drinking?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: You're looking for your figure?
Speaker 5: You should? Wow?
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm like Shack, I get into shape when the season starts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sometimes you don't ever get in shape.
Speaker 1: I guess man, look at this. Wow, well, wow, this is a big wig at iHeartRadio. And she just got you a beer from behind the bar. That's Julie Martski and that's Miranda. Please tip the bartender, Ethier, you know what that's all about, doing a great job. Yeah that like wow, Wow, I got that shade right there. Hey, I'm gonna ask a lot of fans during the season. Hey, salute to Andre Ethier. Huh, salute to Andre.
Speaker 5: Everyone enjoy. Everyone's been out to spring training before, right mostly everyone here.
Speaker 1: Has some some are repeat visitors, some are first timers. How did you treat spring training? Did you love mingling with the fans when spring training started? Because I knew how locked in and serious and focused you were when the season started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think this is the funnest time of the year, not only for the fan, but also for the player, especially this team, you know, Dodgers team. The last fifteen years, there's not been a lot of spots being earned or yeah right, yeah, you coming to camp. Everyone knows their spot. Everyone knows their their place. You kind of see it. I know it's not always the fans favorite thing, but you know, you get two or three at bats, you're done for the day. Your kids, family're waiting for you in the backfields. You're at home by four four point thirty, having dinner with the family, talking to fans, fans you've gotten to know over the years. You know new ones you're meeting. You know, it's fun, it's it's it's relaxed. The seriousness of the game hasn't started yet. You're not out there, you know, really competing. You're just trying to get yourself ready for the season. And you know, it's fun.
Speaker 1: It's uh being in the role that you're in as an ambassador and being a guy that puts on the coaches uniform, the hoodie and the hat and all that you were so locked in as a player and that's part of the reason why you were as successful as you were. But at this stage of your life and career, when you're open to fans coming up to you, are you show how much you meant to a lot of fans into LA and Dodger fans? Did you? Were you aware of that?
Speaker 5: You hear cherffe you in the stadium, and you know they're they're pretty loud, but yes, you don't realize. Uh. And someone said it great. I think Dave said this great in a meeting one of the days I was in camp. Was you know, we're all out here trying to be successful baseball players, and you don't realize that this name across your jersey, you know this Dodgers, this is Los Angeles, which we used to wear on the road. The Los Angeles name on the road means more than any individual gets to put on this uniform every day, right, And so, uh, this team represents the city, represents community, represents generations of uh, you know, Dodger fans and LA people. And when you realize that, you know you're playing for something bigger than just yourself.
Speaker 1: Andre Ethier is in downtown Phoenix. When was the last time you were in downtown on Phoenix. Andre Ethier, I know you were, you were a Sun season ticket holder, but being here for two weeks, it feels like the sky is falling. The Sun has been eclipsed by the great Lakers Lebron and Luca and Austin Reeves. Have you given up your season seats in Phoenix? I still have season tickets only for Laker games, Lakers Suns.
Speaker 5: Yes, I will go to the Lakersun's game. I know you got a lot of brag about with Oh Luca Luca Dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, I'm just saying. Andre is a big Laker fan, but obviously born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona. He has a lot of local pride. His favorite player was Tom Chambers and Dan Marley. But I mean, what's it like now that's my dinner for tonight? Meet loaf?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you look like a meatloafs guy. He looks like a meat loaf right.
Speaker 1: Like they didn't have nachoss?
Speaker 5: Was everyone disappointed when they got to see you for the first I'm.
Speaker 1: A little bit all right, A little bit, a little bit. I saw too much a key k today, I'll tell you that. Anyway. Andre Ethier is our guest here at Dodger Talk Live at the Eric and Butcher in downtown Phoenix. I'm going to ask fans all season long because I'll never get tired of hearing first hand experiences of where you were when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off grand slamming Game one of the World Series. I have not asked Andre Ethier this, Where were you when Freddie ended Game one?
Speaker 5: I was. I I'm trying to think I wasn't in LA yet because I came from Game two.
Speaker 1: Were you at one of your kids games?
Speaker 5: Probably I was coaching a flag football game like four hours ago.
Speaker 1: Were you really?
Speaker 5: Yes? I had a seven year old playoff flag football game that I was out there at. So yeah, so I was doing that. Actually, I believe I was at home and we were all watching it because I knew I was coming out the next day to come throw the first pitch with our guy Matt Kemp for the second World Series game. So I was just sitting at home here in Phoenix, uh, watching the game. And I can tell you I still I was. We were going to get that job done in that game. Like I didn't have any feeling of like, oh, shoot, this isn't gonna work. Out. I was like, this is we got this, We got this started that inning and yeah, as soon as Freddie connected, it was yeah, yeah, you know it was over. And I think our whole house was screaming, jumping up and down. Yeah. I was just excited as ever to see.
Speaker 1: That Rick beat the Yankees in nineteen eighty one, he talked about just how much pride he had as a Dodger that the Dodgers were able to not only win the World Series but to beat the Yankees. How much pride did you have because you showed up in the bubble in twenty twenty to Texas. I saw ETHERI we went to a driving rane. He said, Hey, what do you want to do? I was like, oh, you want to call me to the driving range. So he was in the bubble in Texas. He saw the Dodgers win the World Series in twenty and he gets to see the Dodgers win again in twenty four. So how much pride do you have playing your entire major league career with the Dodgers, even though you weren't on the field that they wanted.
Speaker 5: I was super excited. I think I had a little more. I guess like angst in me and like wanting to beat the Yankees. I was in all the games in New York for the Mets series, and I think the Mets fans and or the Yankees fans were wanting the Dodgers in that and they were already talking smack everywhere. You know, you walk in with my la stuff and all the Yankees fans would yell at me, We're gonna get you guys next series. You know, all that stuff right everywhere you went. And I remember showing back up to the same hotel, you know, a week later, and all the bellman, all the everyone was talking smack to me, and uh yeah, it was exciting to be a part of it, and I guess reminded me of all those highlights I saw ricking that team in eighty one playing the the Yankees and you know Dodgers back in the day, and it was nice just to have that matchup and of course, uh you know, take it to them the way we did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you gonna come to the home opener, the ring ceremony? Where are you gonna be? I I know you still, you have such a connection to this organization.
Speaker 5: Still, I don't know if I'm going to open to yet. I'm I'm hopefully my bag will be unpacked by then, but I am making a trip to Tokyo, So I'm that's right. I'm heading out to Tokyo on the fourteenth for that trip out there, and we have a few things going out on out there.
Speaker 1: For Are you making appearances on the streets of Tokyo, Japan? I am.
Speaker 5: I was just getting recommendations of the best ramen spot. You know, oudon spot. Is there any secret yakatori I have to visit in the middle of night, you know, stuff like that, So yes, one, I'm just one. I don't want to tell you where I'm going because I know you follow me.
Speaker 1: Jeez. He showed me the good life the last couple of years. If him playing, he found all the good foodie spots, so I'll be trailing you. Actually started to google Eaters top thirty eight restaurants in Japan. I found one that Obama visited. I tapped into the Japanese media and they have led me down the right path.
Speaker 5: So I'm gonna make sure to look up that same Eaters and I will avoid all thirty fronts.
Speaker 1: Wow, thanks a lot. I can't wait to see you in a Japanese garden somewhere. I'll be in the middle of meditating and I'll just wait.
Speaker 5: And we'll have a macha tea ceremony.
Speaker 1: Yeah sounds good. Sounds good. Me and you back together, Oh man, what a team. Don't worry, snail Zilla won't be part of the equation. That's all I hear about you follow him around, don't worry. It's you and me home team right here. Everybody was anticipating you. Two great sun devils have joined us here on Dodger Talk. Drey, thanks a lot for the time, and I'll see you in Tokyo.
Speaker 5: Ya see in Tokyo.
Speaker 1: That was Andre Ethier joining us at the Arrogant Butcher last Saturday in downtown Phoenix. And he certainly knows his way around downtown Phoenix and all over the desert out there in Arizona, and he will be out there supporting the Dodgers in Tokyo, Japan. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thank you to Colin Yee early in the day running the Dodger game, and also thank you to Ronnie Fossio for his help tonight, and thank you for listening. Our next Dodgers radio broadcast will be this Sunday, when the Dodgers take on the Sacramento Slash Las Vegas slash Oakland Athletics. We will have that game for you on Sunday. We don't forget about the time change, so the game will be at one oh five here in Los Angeles. And in case you missed any of our conversations with Rick Monday, Andre Ethier, or Rich Hill, you can find it all on the iHeartRadio app. And we also had a discussion with Taeoscar Hernandez on the pregame show earlier today. A one stop shop for Dodger talk on the iHeartRadio app. Coming up next, Jason Smith on Fox Sports Radio. We'll talk to you Sunday. Sea