Speaker 1: This is Dan Capless and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Dan Caplis Show or an hour two of the show. And if you're paying any attention, then you'll know that I am not Dan Caplis. You've got Steve Reams today, Well County Sheriff filling in and happy to do so. Dan's out fighting a good fight on someone else's behalf, I'm sure, but again, it's always a pleasure to be here and take some calls. Today we're clearing the decks on a bunch of issues when it as it pertains to Senate Bill twenty five Dash three, the terrible gun law that Governor Polis signed into into law last Thursday. And with us on the line, we have Jim from Lamar. He wants to comment about some of the gun laws that have been coming through the state of Colorado. Jim, what do you got to say?
Speaker 3: Well, as an Illinoian who became a Colorado or so, I'm very depressed I can understand that I've been fighting these things for a long time and I come here and have to fight them all over again. And now we're going to go to court. Rocky Mountain gun Owners who you just had on they need members, they need support. There's Colorado Shooting Association out here that are NRA associated. They need your support, they need members, they need money.
Speaker 4: We've got to go to court.
Speaker 3: NRA. If you're not a life member of the NRA, what the hell's wrong with you. You've got to become a member. Okay, Second Amendment Foundation, become a member. Gun Owners of America, become a member. There's the National Gun Owners Association here in Loveland. Become a member. Support these guys. They're going to get the attorneys to go to court. We're going to court. It's got to be fought in the courts. Unfortunately, this new thing isn't going to be fought until it actually passes in all six August. But we're paying an extra six percent, which is illegal. Sure, so and as Ian said, they got like ten more gun laws that they're passing or have passed that have to be fought. I can't believe I came to this state and have to put up with this. I keep being told all it's all the Californians. I'm sorry, I don't think it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know who to blame it on at this point other than laying it at the feet of the legislature and the governor who signed it, and the governor before hid that signed the same bad gun bills. I mean, this state's been been on a downward trend when it comes to gun rights for quite some time, but the last couple of years have definitely it's been like we're on steroids for bad gun legislation. Jim, I'm sorry that your experience from moving to Oregon to Colorado just like is a repeat. I'll tell you my experience is from moving from Texas to here, and you know, I oftentimes say, well, I don't know if that was the best decision in the world when it comes to my gun rights, because in Texas they still believe in the Second Amendment, unlike here in Colorado. But Jim, thanks for the phone call, and we really appreciate you calling in. I want to get to a few of the texts too. We've got a whole bunch of them coming through this one here says Sheriff Eames, what do you say to the residents that are looking to you, as an elected constitutional law man to do something against what I see as tyranny by our Democrats ruining this state. They attacked our kids, our roads, our jobs, our money, Now our gun rights. How much more are we going to lose? This isn't freedom, you know. I think that's a very poignant text. I think people in this state are getting pretty fed up. And that leads me back to one of the other questions I asked at the top of the show, who do you want to see run for governor to help try to turn this back around. I went through a list of eleven names. I'll read them off here again. We've got eleven Republican candidates in the race right now. We've got State Senator Mark Baisley, State Reps Scott Bottoms, someone named Jason Clark, I don't know who that is, Bryson Garrison again, I don't know who that is, Steven Guess, John Gray Ginsburg, Joshua Griffin, Jason mikes Ol, the sheriff down in Tayler County, Alexander Maguta, Magatta, Jim Runberg, and then today we had Greg Lopez jump into the race. So are any of those names the thing that you you want to hear so far? I mean, are those names resonating for you? Or better yet, who do you not want to see run? You know, I guess that's a that's maybe a bad question because that list might be even longer. But are there names on this list that you rather not see on there? I mean, you know some of these people that are running that just totally excite you and say that's the guy or that's the person that I want to get behind, Or is there someone out there sitting on the bench that you say, this is the person we need to we need to get into the race. And I'm taking myself out of that equation, as you know, Ryan's tried to elude several times. I think, you know, I think that it's time for the people in this state to say we've had enough. We're tired of the attacks on our kids. We're tired of the attacks on our roads and or the mismanagement of our roads, our jobs, our money, our gun rights. Who can bring it back? You know, I'd love to hear what you have to say. Everybody's texting and about Center Bill twenty five to three. Not too many people are throwing in any good positive vibes here about the governor's race, and I don't think it's a lost cause. I think with Michael Bennett, the presumptive candidate on the dim side, I mean again, that's that's boring on steroids. I mean, the guy is just like I said, every time he talks it sounds like he's talking through a yawn and he makes me tired. Going back to the text that says, dims argue voter idea as a poll tax and certain people are too dumb to get an id'. You hear that quite often, they don't say it quite that way. Should make the same argument against Senate Bill twenty five to three if you got to, you know, we're not smart enough to figure out how to go get these, so you should just repeal the law. I guess it says if you ask me, dumb voters are more dangerous than dumb gun owners. That's probably true, which explains a lot of the reasons why we're in the state that we're in here in our state of Colorado, here's a very on point question. Can you tell me what the penalties are for violating any of the provisions in Senate Bill three, most notably, if you are found to have acquired a gun without going through all these new steps and hoops. The first penalty is a Class two minut misdemeanor, but a second or subsequent offense becomes a Class six felony. So if somehow you go out and obtain a gun without going through this new process of getting a background check, going to your sheriff's office, presenting that background check to your sheriff, getting permission with a card to then go take a class, if you don't do all those steps correctly, and somehow you still obtain a gun, at that point, you could be in violation of the law as it's written, and you'd face a class two misdemeanor, or if you do it a couple of times, class six felony. So that's the best answer I can give. There's also one other provision in the bill that if you provide a false statement to the sheriff that you're going to go ask for this card from that too, could also be an issue of perjury, and I've never seen perjury used in that type of form, but regardless, that's kind of that's kind of one other penalty that could be there. I think that would be a misdemeanor crime. And one other text here says on the governor's race, anybody who has the Trump brand is going to be branded as toxic in Colorado. Any Republican running for governor will get tagged with that and get beaten badly. Colorado is just that far left. Please convince me I'm wrong, and they thank me for my service. All that being said, you know, I don't know if Trump is resonating as poorly in Colorado as he was maybe prior to his election. You know, some of the stuff that's going on right now with tariffs make things a little more questionable. I think people who are looking at their four oh one k are getting a little a little antsy. My dad's listening down in Texas. I know we've had that conversation a couple of times about you know, hey, where's my four oh one k going? And boy, I think certainty in the market is something that a lot of people look for. But you know, I don't know if Trump necessarily tears a candidate down, but he certainly probably doesn't build one up in the state of Colorado. But who knows. I give it a couple more weeks, and Trump's capable of just about anything. But I want to make sure that we have time for our next segment. We're going to have Senator Barb kirk Myron, So we're cut to a break so that she can get on with us ride at five twenty. I'm told she has a very tough timeline, but I want to get a chance to talk with her about where we're at in the state of Colorado when it comes to the Joint Budget Committee, which she is a big piece of. So we'll cut to break. You're listening to the Dan Capless Show here on six point thirty k How was Steve Raams Weld Kenny Sheriff.
Speaker 5: And now back to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Dan Capless Show. You're listening to Sheriff Steve Raams stilling end today from up down from Weld County and bringing in one of the Weld County's finest state Senator from Senate District twenty three, Barb Kirkmeyer's on the line with us. Barb, how you doing?
Speaker 6: I am doing pretty good.
Speaker 2: I think, well, that's a tough question right where you're at.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, it's just been a crazy day.
Speaker 4: But that's okay.
Speaker 2: I guess that goes with the job, right, So what's going on with the state budget? I know that you've been a fighter going back and forth and kind of trying to set the state in the right direction. Tells tell the listeners a little bit about some of the fights you've been having and kind of where we look as a state right now.
Speaker 6: Sure well, let me just start off first by saying, we started the year in the hole, the budget year in the hole, like by one point two billion at one point. We're in what's called a structural deficit. And it's not caused because of tabor. It's not caused because we're in a recession, because we're not. Our economy is pretty good right now. Quite frankly, it's been caused because the General Assembly and the Governor's administration, the executive branch have just been overspending year over year for like the last six years. And the overspending got masked by all of these federal dollars that came in, you know, from COVID. So we got in all these federal dollars and we just kept spending them. On things that were supposed to be one time and then they turned into ongoing and that caused this structural deficit that we have. So you know me as my sheriff, you know me as a county commissioner, and you know where I sit as a budget hawk kind of thing, and I'm like, oh my god, we have we have got to stop spending, and they just can't help themselves. They just cannot help themselves down here. So we have a constitutional requirement that we have to have a balanced budget, and I keep reminding them all that means for more than just one day, not just the day that the governor signs the budget. We really should have had me a balanced budget, and we need to control ourselves with spending. So it's just it's been crazy when the governor who put in his budget request, and I have to keep reminding him the executive branch does not write the budget. It's the legislative branch, and it's the six members on the Joint Budget Committee that actually write the budget, of which I'm one of those six. But when he submitted his budget request back in November, he comes in front of the Joint Budget Committee to present it, he left a half hour early because I was asking him a bunch of questions and ask him how how I could even take his budget requests.
Speaker 2: I find that hard to believe, having presented a budget in front of the Board of County Commissioners a few times. But that's great to hear. So, so what kind of stuff was he throwing in there that you're asking questions about?
Speaker 6: So get this, he had a So we have a constitutional requirement to fund education a free public school system, and then also to increase that funding year over year again in our constitution by inflation for the total program. He came in with a one hundred and fifty million dollars cut to education.
Speaker 2: Well that doesn't sound very pro education.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, and it's not. And then he also came in with cutting Medicaid, like, let's cut medicaid, and it was probably close to about one hundred to one hundred and twenty million dollars worth of cut to medicaid at least, and you know, and then in the meantime, after you know, Trump gets elected and we're in doing hearings and stuff, all I've heard is how Trump's going to cut medicaid. What are you talking about? The governor wants to cut Medicaid and I have to fight to get it act. So those are two of our most critical programs, you know, those programs that we fund, those that just you know, they can't do things for themselves. And we need to fund medicaid and we need to fund it, and we have to fund education. And in his November first budget request, he didn't want to fund education. He didn't fund medicaid fully, he didn't fund higher education fully, and he cut healthcare as well. So I'm like, seriously, why why do I take this budget request seriously? Because he also had in there that he wanted to fund a new ticket booth at the States there, that we should fund additional like landscaping around the Capitol, and that we should build a bridge from and I know that sounds funny, build a bridge from the Capital grounds across Broadway and Lincoln over to Civic Center Park.
Speaker 3: In Denver, the homeless, mental homeless.
Speaker 4: People, right.
Speaker 6: No, he wanted to put his name on it so that it would be there for you know, twenty twenty six, when we turn one hundred and fifty years old in this state. So it's stuff like that. I'm like, it's just crazy.
Speaker 2: So that with the at the end of DOGE at the at the national level and kind of all the stuff that you're hearing, you know, the terrible spending being found. It sounds like you're kind of the Doge committee in a lot of ways. For the state budget. What was the most out of line thing that you saw? The request for the bridge sounds like it might be on there, but I mean, where was the most egregious funding request that you saw in the In the governor's.
Speaker 6: Proposal, I would say, and it wasn't a filianus proposal, but it was buried in all the stuff that you know, all the things that are funded down here, all the cash funds and the general fund. It's the second salary for the lieutenant governor. Now, granted, i'm talking about when we're talking about one point two billion dollars shortfall, I'm talking about in the general fund operating budget, which is not our forty six billion dollar budget because that includes federal funds and cash funds. But our general fund operating budget is around, you know, anywhere from eighteen to twenty billion dollars depending on you look on it. But let's just say it's eighteen billion dollars and we had to cut one point two billion, and we have all of these cash funds, we have all these offices and programs that are already in place, and it's really really I have to go back and dig I mean, you remember when I was as Acount Commissioner, we would do that strategic budgeting and y'all would go through your budgets and say, hey, here's where we can cut, here's where we don't need this program. It's past as time. Men, they don't do that. I mean, I try to get the executive branch to do that, and they just like stare at me, and you know, and then I have to be more firm as you know I can be. But so so in the Governor's office is Lieutenant Governor's office, and within that we have this other office called the Office of Saving People Money, which is just a total joke.
Speaker 7: But she gets.
Speaker 6: Paid an additional seventy five thousand dollars on top of her salary that she's going down as lieutenant governor.
Speaker 2: What's the salary for the lieutenant governor's the what's the primary salary?
Speaker 6: I think it's ninety or ninety three thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That's so if you can get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so she's do what she should.
Speaker 6: Be doing as lieutenant governor in the first place. So I just think that's appalling to me. And why as a lieutenant governor, why doesn't she just give that up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No kidding first deficit?
Speaker 2: So did that get cut out or is she still taking that salary? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 6: Still she's still taking the additional salary. We tried to. I tried to get it amended out and take care of it during the budget process with a Joint Budget Committee to noevel and even during the long bill process on the Senate floor, Senator Pelton had an amendment to try and get rid of that. And the answer is no. I mean it's in law, so we have to actually repill that section of law. And we can't get them to.
Speaker 2: Repill it, of course not. Why would they do anything that makes sense and actually save the states and money. We got just a couple of minutes left, Barb. Is there anything else you want to cover that isn't budget related? I know you've got a lot of stuff going on down there. Is there something that the listeners need to really tune into it and have their radar.
Speaker 6: On for I would say, tune into and have your for its House bill. I think it's twelve thirteen thirteen twelve thirteen or thirteen twelve thirteen twelve. This is just an outrageous bill to me, it's attacking our constitutional rights. But moreover, it just feels like to me that there are certain Democrats down here across the aisle, even though I've got friends across the aisle, but there are other Democrats that really it feels like they've just declared war on parents. I mean, they're going after parents, trying to figure out how to take their children away from them and cutty cases, and it is just way out of line. And I think that would be a bill that hopefully, you know, I mean, if I haven't heard from every parents in the state by now, you know, please don't send me anymore emails. But I understand my colleagues across the aisle to let them know that, you know, parents are the ones who should be raising their children. We shouldn't be interjecting in between a parent's ability to raise their child and take care of their child in the best interest of the child versus you know, basically saying that if you call your child by their given name at birth and they don't want to be called that that you could be taken up X be cohersive, and you could lose custody of your child in a custody case.
Speaker 2: We got a heart we got a heartbreak. But thanks for being on with us, thanks for educating us about the budget, and we look forward to having you on again. If you're listening to the Dan Caplis Show on six point thirty KHW.
Speaker 5: You're listening to the Dan Kapliss Show podcast.
Speaker 2: You're back with the Dan Kaplis Show yet Steve reims Well, Kundy Sheriff setting in today and covering the show while Dan's out doing some really important stuff. But at the top of the show, the top of the hour, I ask people, who do you want to see run for governor? You know, we've got eleven candidates in the race now by my last counting. Greg Lopez made his announcement today. I think this is his third time, maybe third times a charm, But I've been asking you guys, who do you want to see ron? And then also, since I happen to be the sheriff up in Weld County, if you have any questions about Cenebill twenty five to three that maybe I can answer call in, ask your question. We'll talk about both topics. But before we get to the calls, just want to read a couple of texts here, And this one's pretty much on point, and I'm guessing our first caller is going to agree with this. It says, quit worrying about Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, enough about Trump, steer the narratives of those unpopular policies, and start talking about Colorado. Every time someone says, but Trump, there's a lot of truth there. I mean, I think Republican candidates tend to get caught in the cycle of saying yeah, you know, trying to defend Trump instead of just turn around and talking about the meat and potatoes of what's going on. A couple other texts says there's a lot of gray areas in this new gun law. That's the understatement of the day. And then Michael Bennett is entirely beatable with the right person hitting all the right notes. They believe Bennett's superpower might be putting people to sleep. And then we have one text in here, Dan for Governor, which I totally support, but I don't know that he'd USh With that being said, if this is the Joe from Marveda, I think it is. I'm guessing we're going to hear some stuff about Trump, So we'll go to that call first.
Speaker 4: Joe, you on line with absolutely, Hey, hey, absolutely, First, you know what you talk about Michael Bennett. This might be a little before your time, but did you ever see their movie Fast Time at Rich Month High?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Are we talking about speccoli Pacoli?
Speaker 4: Michael Bennett. It's Poli. He's not as fun though, well no, he's not as fun, but he sounds like him.
Speaker 2: Yeah he does, he does. Yeah, it's bad, it's bad. So what do you think about the Republicans having a chance in the state. Who's our who's our candidate going to be? And is there anybody in the race now that excite you?
Speaker 4: Well? This was this was more. This was more gun related. I mean, yeah, go ahead, yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm a veteran and I'm a like member of the n r A, and you know it is time for Republicans to point out how, pardon me, how bad Democrat policies of gun control are. Sure, because look at look look at Chicago. They had like the most restrictive gun laws there are right, And how's that? How's the crime there?
Speaker 2: Right? It's working out great? Right? I mean, if you if you.
Speaker 4: Want to look gun laws, gun laws or restrict you and I because we abide by law, do they restrict you know, criminals? It just it just blows my mind. I just oh, it makes my blood boil.
Speaker 2: Well, Joe, I understand where you're at. And I think you know you can't have one conversation without without having the other. How do we get here? How do we have all these restrictive gun laws in the states Because we keep electing and we keep allowing Democrats to get elected in this state. We don't have a united message behind a good candidate for governor. We haven't for quite some time. I don't know if one of these candidates in the race is going to do that, but uh, we got to get there. I mean, at some point, I think the people in this state that aren't died in the world Democrats are going to say, Okay, enough's enough. And just like Trump won the country back, I think someone can win this state back. And I don't know if that person's in the race yet. I don't know if that person's waiting in the wings, But Uh, you know. Uh, that's the way I see it. So Joe, thanks.
Speaker 4: Can add to that. You said we elect I didn't elect them.
Speaker 2: No, I get I say we collected it.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, I understand, I understand.
Speaker 2: I've never checked it, never checked a D on my ballot either, So U Joe, thanks again, We appreciate it. Get to a couple more texts here and then we'll uh, we'll get to our next caller. This one is a little confusing for me. It says, if you find yourself defending your your family and your own home, you're forced to shoot. I guess someone who's breaking in and the gun you grabbed in the emergency is quote unquote illegal. Well, but the shooting itself would be justified. How does that play out in the courts? And what I would say is, if you already own the gun, you've already got it in your house. You didn't acquire it illegally. This bill does nothing to the guns you already owned. So if you're using a gun to defend you and your family inside your home, you don't need to worry about Senate Bill IREI. Now, if you've gone out and acquired that gun somehow in violation of this law. You know, I'd say I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six any given days. So if it comes down to protecting your family, I think that's what you probably should do. It looks like we got Dean from Ourvada on the line. He wants to comment on gun laws. Dean, are you with us?
Speaker 8: Yes, sir, Yeah. We found out last summer. I guess it was that prosecutors can basically prosecute anybody, including Donald Trump, for pretty much anything. That is, when it comes down to these gun laws, there's so much gray area. You get the wrong crosster, he's gonna go after you, and you're just gonna ask for mercy because you know, the prosecutor's got a lot more money to go after you than you can defend yourself.
Speaker 4: Most in most places, except.
Speaker 8: For you know, like Donald Trump, he has had a pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could five back a little bit. Yeah. You know, you make a good point there, when you when you write a bill, it has so much gray area in it that leaves so much for the imagination, if you will. The devil's in the details, and when the details aren't there, someone can make them up and kind of twist the bill to their own liking. Oh, I totally see where you're coming from.
Speaker 8: Like a sheriff like you, Yeah, sheriff like you is probably gonna say, look, I'm not gonna, I'm not gonna, you know, use this against you. But you get the wrong sharef for the wrong prosecutor, and you're just playing like mercy. Now, I'm like, please please give me a misdemeanor instead of a felony. You know, it's it's it's crazy how this works. I just I think in the gun laws are going to chill the small mom and pop.
Speaker 4: Gun I mean, all this stuff.
Speaker 8: I don't know how anybody in their right mind would want to open a gun store, much less keep on open here.
Speaker 2: Well, I can tell you this. You know, we talked about this bill being an unfunded mandate on sheriffs, but truly it's an unfunded mandate on the gun shops too, because they're going to have to go through a whole bunch of steps when that person finally, when the when the customer finally jumps through all the hoops, they get their their class, they've got their gun card, and they show up at the gun store. Well, now it's on the gun store to turn around and say, okay, are you in this registry that you're supposed to be in? You know, it's that's time. That's valuable time that that gun stores is spending trying to process someone. Oh, by the way, and when they sell them again, now, they still got to sit on it for three days and go through a whole other background check. So we're just stacking layers and layers of crap on top of one another.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there is there a you said there's is there a six and a half percent AMMO tax on top of the regular sales tax?
Speaker 2: I believe that's Uh. I think that one already went into effect a few months ago. If I'm not mistaken. I don't remember the name of the bill.
Speaker 5: We voted that in the amendment.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's right, Yeah, we voted that in Yeah, the people of.
Speaker 5: Colorado amo out of state.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, right, But that's that's what a lot of people do their guns and AMMO at this point. Now, So Dean, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 8: They're killing these businesses.
Speaker 2: Have a nice day, Thank you, thanks Dean. And uh, before we run out of time here, we'll kick it over real quick to Jack and Cheyenne. Jackie, you with us, Steve.
Speaker 9: I think people need to realize that the guns don't destroy inner cities Democrats do. I mean, it's it's that simple. And if I was going to vote one gun law, that gun law would be it's illegal for a Democrat to have a gun.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just.
Speaker 9: It's just so obvious.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I don't know if I don't know if political party and gun Yeah, I don't know if political party and gun ownership are necessarily exclusive to one another. You know, we had a last time I covered the show, I had Sheriff Lucero for Pueblo County. He's a Democrat, He's got a lot of Democrats support down there, and they, the Democrats in his county were up in arms about this bill. And in fact, even with the county sheriffs of Colorado, which is probably I don't know if it's a fifty to fifty split, but it's getting pretty close to that. Of the sixty four sheriffs in the state of Colorado, there weren't any of them that were in support of this bill. So, you know, oftentimes it's it's not every Democrat, but it's the Democrats that are making the laws at the state House, that's for darn sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, they're also destroying the city, so that's what they want to focus on, not the guns.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree with you more on that aspect. The guns aren't the problem. It's the people that are using the guns and the legislators who keep on making it harder and harder for us to get them. Jack appreciate you listening from Cheyenne. Thanks for calling in. I think Jack's Jack's done all right, So well again, throw out the number here, it's three oh three seven one, three eight two five five. Call in ask your questions. We got just a little bit of time left in the show, or you can text in at five seven three nine. We'll answer all those questions as best we can and we'll go to break. Now again, you're listening to Steve Riams covering the Dan Capless Show here on six thirty KF.
Speaker 5: And now back to the Dan Taplass Show podcast.
Speaker 2: You're back in the last segment of the Dan Kaplas Show. Sheriff Steve Riams filling in for Dan today. But I want to go straight to a caller from Pueblo. We got Jake on the line. He wants to comment about some gun laws. Jake, what do you got to say?
Speaker 7: Well, the Democrats have been trying to create an in state gun registry for the longest time.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 7: They taught my track in our credit card purchases that what creates a registry, we just outsmarted it. Might just start paying cash for everything. And now this is another end around to hopefully create in state gun registries all the way.
Speaker 4: I can see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the bill specifically says that this isn't for the purposes of making a registry, and they won't know exactly what gun you buy, but they will know who's going out and buying a gun. Again, they may not know the exact model or or or item that you buy, but they're going to know if you took the class and have an intent to go buy one. So and it's all going to be housed by the by parks and wildlife. That's that's the.
Speaker 7: Other thing about the class. I read the bill a couple of times. If you take it once, they ever have If I want to go bast second, semi automatically or detestable mag no, I have to take the class a second time.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Once you take the class and you get your card, it's good for five years, so you can buy I guess theoretically as many guns as you want in that five years. But at the end of that five years, you got to go renew the card. And it's kind of silent as to whether or not you have to take the class again or just renew the card again. That's one of those gray areas in the bill. I don't think you'd have to take the class again, but you would have to keep the card renewed, is the way I see it.
Speaker 7: But what do I know, Just a form of a man registry is. But as far as I'm concerned, and I hope we can get declared conversational, I.
Speaker 2: Agree with you. Jake Hey, thanks for calling in, Thanks for listening from all the way down there in public. We appreciate it. So kind of wrapping up the show. Here a couple more texts. I have to tell you about this one specifically, it came in from my under sheriff, who I guess he thinks he's funny. You know, in the state of Colorado, most sheriff salaries are set by state statue in Weld County, we have a little different process, but my salary is set every four years, and that's always a point of contention. And my under sheriff currently makes more money than I do, so he's got the best job in the agency. But he's encouraging me to run for governor so that he can be the lieutenant governor and yet again make more money than me. I don't even know how to take that. I mean, he's been riding my coattails for nine years. Now enough's enough. And I say that in all fairness, he's a great undershriff. He does a great job for me, but I'm not giving him any more of a free ride, so he can go find his own job when my time is done. And we did get a text here in support of Jack says Jack is right, Democrats voted in the Democrats to push these laws. I can't agree more that with Jack, that gun laws should only apply to the Democrats, make guns illegal for them. And then I got a friend from up in Wild County, actually a couple of friends just saying hey, thanks for filling in for Dan today, asking me if this is going to be my next career, and I think we're We've got a long ways to go before we see that happen. And I think I think Dan is safe in this seat. I'm not. I don't think I'm gunning for his position anytime soon. But sure, do you like filling in? It's a lot of fun to get a chance to talk with folks and answer a few text messages and educate folks as to you know, what's going on out there in the public sphere, and you know, kind of do something different for the day. Excuse me, Ryan before we break for the day. You know you do you do your show every day? Do you do you get one feeling that there's a candidate out there amongst Republicans that is just waiting in the wings to jump in, because right now I'm not getting a lot of vibes for the eleven Republicans that have jumped in. Have you heard of Are you getting a feeling that that person's going to jump in there and change the tide?
Speaker 10: Well, the one and obviously it has a lot to do with our present forum. But that callers and listeners am calling for is is Dan Caplis. And you know, he makes no secret that at one time he was seriously considering run for high office, in particular the US Senate.
Speaker 5: He had gone to Washington, d C. With Amy, had.
Speaker 10: Been taken in on a tour I believes by John Cornyan and others introducing him, and I forgot what ultimately led him to the decision against him. I think it had to do with his kids, certainly his family, and it's a big decision. Well absolutely, you know, as you know, there are people myself included, that would like to see you run, whether it was governor or something else. And maybe that'll still happen. But it's not just something you declare one day you're going to throw your hat in the ring, and that's all there is to it.
Speaker 5: That's just the beginning. It's the actual race itself, and.
Speaker 10: You know it's asking a lot of a person and that person's family, and to answer your question directly, right now, I don't know that there's a candidate that really breaks through. I know Greg Lopez announced on my show today that he is going to reach across the aisle. He's going to hold town halls. He's going to go and meet the people where they are, and I think that's a good start. Any candidate on our set is going to have a chance has to break through that unaffiliated wall, which we have not been able to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and the issues that affect unaffiliated voters might be a little different than the ones Republicans are looking at. But I think there's a cross section of things that every voter in this state has a feeling about, you know, condition of our roads, fentanyl, you know, education system, making it fair and accessible to everyone. I mean, I think if you boil it down to kind of those common those common themes that affect every household, you know, a candidate may resonate a little better. And I think when you're looking at, you know, primary races, it's always the idea that the candidate on either side is going to try to appeal to those to the far right or far and left and then sometimes can't get back to the middle for the unaffiliated voter. With that, it's been a blast filling in for Dan Caples again. I look forward to every opportunity I get to do this. Ryan, thanks for taking care of me on the other side of the glass. Kelly, thanks for setting up all the phone calls, and hopefully I'll get a chance to do this again in the near future. Today we are listening to the Dan Capleas show being filled in by Steve Raims, Weld County Sheriff, and we'll see you next time.