Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's that incense that reminds you of freshman year so much that you can only smell it sometimes because you don't want the nostalgia to fade. Ali Ward back with a follow up as promised episode of Ologies that serves as a companion piece to last week's fire Ecology episode. So perhaps listen to that one first, come here from more context, or don't. Ultimately, none of my beeswax. Okay, so just a little behind the scenes on this one's format. Format is a little different than what you're used to. I spoke with this ologist while she was up in the wilderness of Canada on vacation, and the internet was spotty, So the first ten minutes or so, it's not the finest quality audio we've ever had on Ologies, but we did our best, and then she sent some standalone recordings answering more questions, and then after the break, we're featuring excerpts from her own indigenous fire ecology podcast, Good Fire with Matt Christoph, making this a real community effort and a fire mosaic episode. Indeed, so this ologist got her master's and PhD and hazard management and fire science and works as a fire social scientist for the Canadian Forest Service. She is a Metea woman from Treaty six territory on land now known as Canada, and has authored papers such as social science Research on Indigenous wildfire management in the twenty first century and future research needs, so she is well schooled on this. And then I saw she has a podcast called good Fire recorded with Matt Christoff, who also hosts the Your Forest podcast. So this ologist was on vacation. I desperately wanted to chat with her the one week she was trying to relax, but she luckily was very up to take a little break and chat amid spotty internet and some techtifs. Huge thanks to Matt for getting us in touch and for lending us excerpts from Your Forest and good Fire at the Future. Also thank you to everyone at patreon dot com slash ologies for making the show possible. This episode was informed by the questions you left about indigenous fire stewardship, and thanks to everyone who rates and reviews podcasts. It matters more than you will ever know, and I read them all so I can prove it with a fresh shadow out for one left this week, such as Sarah ib who wrote I started listening to this podcast and got to the gynecological episode and decided to make my first Obgian appointment after turns out I have endometrial cancer. I had a hysterectomy and I'm currently doing radiation therapy. Thank you, Dad Ford for this informative podcast. Sarah, what what sending you? The biggest, biggest hugs and the best vibes for a speedy defeat of that, and thank you for getting checked out. Okay, onward to the episode. Etymology is Simple Indigenous means native fire has a root meaning fire and ecology the study of where we live. So we'll be covering cultural burns, dripped torches, forest debris, healthy trees, the legality of indigenous fire stewardship, fighting fires with strategy, napping on the fire line, evacuations and more with Fire Scientist Advocate podcast host Canadian Forest Service employee, scholar and Indigenous fire ecologist doctor Amy Christiansen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no problem at all. It's great too to have so much like attention on this topic as well.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's wonderful, wonderful to have you. So now, are you at the top of a mountain right now trying to get cell service?
Speaker 2: No, I'm actually at my parents' cabin, but they do not have great internet. But does it sound okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds great so far.
Speaker 2: Literally they're at like the very north end of a lake called Shoeshwap Lake and currently we're actually surrounded by three fires as well.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. And is that an area that you're pretty familiar with? Has your family been there for a long time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my parents have this cabin that we've had in our family, I think for about thirty years now.
Speaker 1: Have you seen a change at all in how the summers go in terms of say, being surrounded by fire.
Speaker 2: So the area that we're in is actually kind of a rainforest area. We always kind of jokingly refer to it as that, and we used to get so much rain out here in the summer. In probably the last ten years, we've noticed it's been getting warmer in this area and we've been getting less rain and even the cedars are really starting to not look as healthy. And then the last probably five years, we've had more summers of smoke. So it's really been Yeah, I've really noticed a change just even in my lifetime.
Speaker 1: And how long have you been studying fire? How long had you been a fire scientist?
Speaker 2: I grew up in northern Alberta. There's always kind of fires around my family, although we didn't kind of have the connection. We were disconnected from cultural burning practices, but my family was kind of always you know, I've been involved in fire and my husband's a wildland firefighter, and yeah, just growing up it seemed like kind of a normal thing in the north. And when I moved down south to an urban center, that was when I really realized, you know, that other people didn't have that, or you know, we're weren't so used to that. I guess I started actually as a geologist, but I always loved hazards, but more volcanic hazards and things that I was interested in. So I did two years actually in New Zealand, where I did my masters on volcanic hazard management. But you know, I always kind of feel like bound to the forest in Alberta. So I ended up kind of coming back. And I even said to my PhD supervisor, like, you know, I'll study anything but fire. You know, I don't want to have fire in my life because I just, you know, it was around it all the time, and wanted something different. But yeah, kind of slowly got pulled back into the field and yeah, I've been at the Canadian Forest Service now for about ten years.
Speaker 3: Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what is your what is your work like? And have you grown to appreciate it all? Are you still like fire? Here we are again, you and me fire?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think yeah, it's kind of one of those things you have to realize that maybe you're just like I don't know, No, I don't want to say destined to be, but you know, I think that living in the North, it's just you know, I think that you have that experience with fire and seeing it around you. And that's one thing I always find interesting is when I meet, you know, other fire scientists who aren't, you know, from areas that experience fire, and I think sometimes it's maybe hard for them to relate, especially when we're talking about fire risk and kind of how people act during a fire event.
Speaker 1: So one of doctor Christensen's areas of research and work is studying evacuations, so when to leave your home with just a few possessions and your life for what might be the last time. And it's something that she says fire scientists who haven't grown up around fire and had to themselves evacuate. Might not understand, and if you listened to last week's episode, I mentioned that my parents lived in the remote Sierra Nevadas for years and coercing them to evacuate during the King Fire was not easy, even with the promise of a night or two at the fantasy end with a mirrored ceiling.
Speaker 2: When I first started at the Canadian for Service, there was like no interest really in indigenous fire management or cultural burning practices or indigenous firefighters. So I would say it was like a very lonely kind of first five or six years. And so most of my colleagues are actually international folks, so mainly folks from actually California and Australia who are in this field as well. But I think like pretty much since we've started having the big fire events in Canada, that's really what's forced people to kind of look at maybe a different way of looking at fire off the landscape. My interest in fire is also tied to like my own family's history. So my family's Mayti, so we're from northern Alberta, the Cardinal and labcan families, and we kind of had like a weird kind of disconnection from culture, which most Mayti families in Canada actually experience during colonization, and so it's basically we weren't allowed to practice any of our traditions and other things. It's interesting to be because it almost parallels fire in a way. So when settlers, you know, first came to Canada, one of the first things that they brought with them was actually fire suppression. And as they moved kind of west across Canada, they basically just put into place fire suppression policies wherever they went. And the big reason for that was, you know that they saw the forest of this wilderness is this kind of natural place. But really now we know, like and lots of scientific studies now are pointing out the that wasn't natural, Like many of those areas were actually stewarded by indigenous people to look that way. Actually, the first fire suppression campaign was in sixteen ten in Newfoundland in Canada, where that was like kind of the first you know, enactment of you know, thou shelt not light fires on the landscape.
Speaker 1: Amy says that she's from northern Alberta and there were only two fire rangers for the entire province.
Speaker 2: So even though they had like a fire suppression policy. You know, those guys couldn't be everywhere obviously, so there was still a lot of cultural burning that went on. So I would say that in where I'm from, it really only kind of stopped or halted around the sixties or the seventies where fire really stopped being allowed on the landscape in the north. And what we've seen with that, you know, is just a massive increase in fuel loading and also kind of these like monoculture forests where there are the stands are you know, all one speci these like all similar age, and they're really vulnerable to pests. There's other disturbances like fire, and so we're getting these massive, big fire events that have come through. And so for indigenous people, you know, like my family and others, they my family were actually buffalo hunters, and they used fire in the buffalo hunt, but also afterwards to improve the habitat for buffalo and other things that to help them in their hunting. When the settlers started coming across and saying like no, you can't do this, like you don't know as much as us, like, you know, it really devalued indigenous people and their knowledge and then when you add into that, you know, we had residential schools in Canada where indigenous people you know, were sent there and basically told you know that, you know, it said they were savages, that their way of knowing their family, of knowing the earth wasn't proper, and you know that they had to learn this new way that was much better. So we, like my colleagues fives a mula. He was telling me that they called that like a cultural severance activity, where basically you're just told that, you know, suddenly you know, you cannot practice your culture anymore. And so the impacts of that are just massive on people, not only on like, you know, their ability to use fire, but also just on who they are as a person, their pride and their family and other things. And so I too, like even now I still have a lot of anger about that, and you know how I wasn't able to learn from my elders about landscape, stewardship and other things because of that, you know, like kind of dominant Western worldview.
Speaker 1: Do you know or has there been research into how much of that knowledge is lost?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So actually Henry and Lewis, who is a researcher, he actually started in California, but then was at the University of Alberta.
Speaker 1: Doctor Henry T. Lewis aka Hank was an anthropology professor at the University of Alberta and was one of the first researchers to really document indigenous fire stewardship and its role in shaping the landscape. And he wrote the paper A Time for Burning. It was published in nineteen eighty two and a PDF to it is linked on my site. It's typewritten on a typewriter, it's wild and it details all of the different biomes and how indigenous cultures shaped them with fire and if you're like no reading, need visuals. He also made a sixteen millimeters documentary titled The Fire's Spring.
Speaker 4: All of this was managed by people who had developed a complex technology of fire to assure a continued successful adjustment to the northern ural forest.
Speaker 1: Somehow this ended up on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hank god he went up and worked with the woodland kreen Denny people in northern Alberta, so actually kind of where my family's from as well. And what he was saying within the nineteen seventies when he did his work that he thought that between ninety and ninety five percent of that knowledge had been lost, So I mean that was now like as hard to believe it almost fifty years ago, right when that was happening. So for me, like I often hear people say in meetings like you know, oh well, indigenous knowledge is inapplicable to today and cultural burning practices because you know, now we have climate change, like now there's more values on the landscape in terms of thinking about structures and other things. But I always argue against that because for me, like, it's not about like indigenous people, like we're alive today, we're part of society, like we see all these things, like indigenous people are on the front lines of climate change, like of course we don't if that's occurring. And you know, indigenous knowledge, the most beautiful thing about it is how adaptable it is to the local environment. So like for like, because you know you're living in that environment, you're dependent on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Amy's internet cut out again, so we tried a new way of recording just via the phone and her laptop, and it sounds much better, which is great. So clear in fact, you may even be able to discern the pitter pattern of children's footsteps on the cabin stairs as her family vacationed around her.
Speaker 3: Hi, maybe this will work. I can hear you great at home. It's funny because I have a pretty good setup with a podcasting microphone, headphones, and of course I'm like, oh, it's this week when I'm gone, But no worries.
Speaker 1: But where were we? Yes that indigenous fire knowledge is starting to get more attention as climate change worsens and larger fires erupt. And as a fire scientist, what is her workday?
Speaker 3: Like? Sure, yeah, So with my job with the CFS, I most fire research scientists, I say, kind of do the same thing. So we have our research projects that we run or that we're a part of. So a lot of my day is actually kind of meeting about research and other things that are going on. So really similar to like you know, an academic researcher for me university. But then as well, we also kind of have the policy or the government side, So I said, on a lot of like national or international committees or working groups, you know, looking at fire and trying to direct policy. We just recently in Canada finished the blueprint for Wildland Fire Science for twenty nineteen to twenty twenty nine. So looking at you know, topics that we should really be spending money basically in time doing research on. And one of those the themes from that was actually on indigenous fires. So we also have an evacuation database actually with the Canadian Forces, where we've tracked wildfire evacuations in Canada since nineteen eighty. So during this summer, like that's one thing is that we have like lots of our staff working on that doing data entry into it. Yeah, it's a big job this summer. Like in twenty twenty, I think we only had twenty different evacuations in Canada, but this year I think we're already at one hundred and twenty five different evacuation events. So it's a huge job.
Speaker 1: So this Blueprint for a Wildland Fire Science in Canada twenty nineteen to twenty twenty nine outlines, in its own words, a business case to increase investment in wildland fire science. And it is fifty seven pages of really great strategies covering themes like understanding fire in a changing world, recognizing Indigenous knowledge, and enhancing knowledge exchange mechanisms to improve the ways in which wildland fire science and technology are shared, understood, and implemented. So Amy's team had been working on that, and for the curious, I will link to the full pdf on my website. Now, as far as the increasing evacuations, that issue gets more personal as this episode unfolds, even more personal than my parents in an hourly motel in RightNow. And this is something I think a lot of people have trouble wrapping their brain around, and maybe they're there is no good answer. But is it climate change? Is it human ignition and carelessness? Is it not letting the forest burn? Is it naturally would how do you scientists come up with plans to tackle this issue if it's kind of like a trifle problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you. It's just such a complex issue. I mean, there's also the fact that people are just building more in you know, areas that are of higher risk to fire. You know, as communities get larger and kind of expand out into what you know, some people call the wildline urban interface, it's really increasing fire risks. I think that that's the hard thing too, is that there's no magic bullet solution, right like even with cultural burning, Like you know, I'm such a strong proponent of getting that back on the ground, but that doesn't at all tackle you know, how vulnerable some homes and other things are to fire at the moment.
Speaker 1: Climate change, she said, is also a pretty big frickin deal.
Speaker 3: But the one thing you know that I think locally, like you know, in our towns and stuff, that we can control is the fuels that are available to burn. And so that's why, you know, I think that cultural burning or landscape level fuel management as well as the community wildfare mitigation is so important to do in combination. And lately too, I've been seeing I don't know if you are seeing it in the States as much, but in Canada there's a bit of a movement to just kind of you know, fireproof communities or you know, keep homes or you know, structures safe from fire. But to me, that's really missing the point of like the landscape around your home. Like for me, I don't want to be living, you know, if my home is standing in like the middle of you know, a black and landscaping. In Canada, it can take a long time for the force to regenerate, sometimes you know, twenty thirty forty years, and even then they're finding up north in the Boyal forests, the burns are just so hot that they're basically kind of killing the soil and any vegetation around. So, yeah, it's quite a complex issue. But I think when I think as an indigenous person, I look at the forest, I don't just see it as trees or timber values or other things. You see it as like part of who you are, right like your relations So you want to be able to you know, steward and protect that area as much as you do you know, your own home or structure.
Speaker 1: And can you describe a little bit about prescribed fires and indigenous fire stewardship versus cultural burns. I think a lot of people maybe want to lump them in together, but can you describe a little bit about how they work or what they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's a bit of a danger of that this whole thing now where we're seeing prescribed fire and just kind of throwing cultural burning into that. So prescribe fire is you know, you know generally what agencies do, so where they're setting fire on the landscape, but in many cases they're setting you know, high severity fires. It's burning really fast and they want to burn a lot of land in a little bit of time. So we see like lots of aerial ignition of fires we see them using, you know, basically like helicopter ignition, and in Canada, like lots of times, people put that together as you know, being a crown fire being these big, bad, kind of out of control fires that are burning up you know, mountain sides. That's generally the media that we see in Canada about prescribed fire, But it really differs from cultural burning because cultural burning is more about achieving a cultural objective around the forest around where you live, So you don't really want to have these big, large, stand replacing fires that go through and and can kill everything in a prescribed fire event. That sometimes is what happens in Ca. Yeah, So for cultural fire too, the thing is that most fires are actually pretty low intensity. In Australia they call them like slow burns or cool burns, and they generally move through the understory and they're done it certain times of year where the potential fire behavior is very low risks, so you know where you're not getting, you know, potential of crown fire. There's lots of natural fuel breaks around the fire. In Canada that's usually snow still on the ground. For indigenous people, cultural burning too is like a family a community activity, so like when I'm doing burns and things like I take my daughters. My mom was on the last one that we did.
Speaker 1: There's a great photo that's run in a few news articles about Amy's work, and she's standing in a golden grassy field. It's hazy with smoke as a cultural burn grass fire she's overseeing lurches behind her, and there's a husky wolfy dog sitting to her right staring off. And Amy's wearing black leggings and a red flannel shirt and is pregnant with what would be her second daughter. So the mood is very calm, unlike what most people's experience of land on fire might be.
Speaker 3: Lots of times, you know, we don't wear personal protective equipment, you know, like the kind of gnomes that you usually see firefighters wearing, because usually the fires are honestly just so slow and most people find them I think a bit boring too, because it can take a really long time to burn a really small piece of land, and so for agencies it doesn't really work well, right because that for them means more staffing, dollars and other things to achieve, like you know, a smaller area burned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it comes to how much fuel is in some of the forests. Now that would be too much for say a prescribed burn maybe to tackle. I'm reading like there's so much you know, dead timber and fallen timber because we've suppressed fire for so long. Like, where does fire management even begin to kind of tackle that issue?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it is a big issue, and I think people often get overwhelmed, Like I just hear you know all the time. Oh, it's so complex, there's so many things and so many people's competing values. But I think that we often lose the focus on like local communities. So in Canada, our first nations have reserves, and so if you go on to a reserve, many times, like when you speak to the elders and other people, like they know what needs to be done in their area, Like they know if certain areas are too fuel loaded, and you know, they want to go in there and kind of mechanically treat the forests, so you know, by using machines and labor to go in and do thinning and other things before they can burn to kind of keep the fuel load low in those areas. So I think for me, that's the biggest thing is that we really need to go back to kind of these local solutions to fire. And that's really kind of what our research is showing that, you know, local people want to be involved. So you know, I talk mostly about indigenous peoples, but you know, ranchers, farmers, other people who you know use the landscape for their livelihood, they also you know, really want to have a healthy forest and environment around them and they know the areas too, and even forestry companies like the one nice thing about cultural burning is that because we're doing kind of these low understory burns, like we don't want to burn the nice, big, healthy trees, right because those are so important for cultural activities and for other other like our relations other animals. It's actually really nicely works together because you kind of can get cultural burns going through and really removing some of that deadfall and promoting those healthy big tree growth that like the timber companies love.
Speaker 1: And obviously this is something that is a family issue for you two, having you know, being married someone who is a firefighter. At what point did you decide to spread the word about good fire? And the term good fire too is something that I'm I kind of just learned too. Can you talk a little bit about what good fire is?
Speaker 3: Sure, So if good fire I think comes just from the idea that you know, it's very obvious that we can have good fires on the landscape. You know that fire is something that is helpful to the environment and to people. And so I think Indigenous people lots of times see fire almost in a dichotomy, so kind of, you know, these bad fires and then the good fire that we can use as a tools. But before colonization, indigenous people would use fire on the landscape in good ways. But then also we did have lightning fires obviously back then, right, but they would come across the landscape and kind of enter into this mosaic landscape that these indigenous ferns and other lightning cause fires like, and so as they enter them, then the fire behavior would change. So as you know, it entered a meadow, the fire intensity might decrease, and then it would go back into the forest and maybe increase, and then it would hit like a deciduous stand of trees and go down again. And so this mosaic or patchwork on the landscape was actually really helpful for fire to kind of decrease the intensity of these fire events. But what we're seeing right now is because we've been suppressing those fire events, there's just so much fuel in the forest that we're seeing these bad fires. So even like I'm thinking like the Dixie Fire in California right now, or we have like multiple fires in Canada at the moment too that are bad fires. Like lots of times, you know, we look at and say, oh, fire's natural, there's good ecologic benefits. But for me, there's nothing good about these current fires happening right now.
Speaker 1: So at this point, our FaceTime call cut out because of spotty internet, so Amy recorded a clip answering a few more questions because she is the best and knew that we only had a few days until this went up, and she's once again the best.
Speaker 3: I also just wanted to mention the importance of Indigenous people in fire in Canada but also in other countries. You know, we often think about indigenous people in fire management as something that happened in the past, but we have a lot of amazing indigenous firefighters in Canada, Indigenous fire managers and other people who are really you know, on the front lines trying to bring back good fire and indigenous fire stewardship and really out there every summer kind of protecting our communities from these bad fires. And especially in Canada, lots of times there we don't give enough attention, I think to those indigenous firefighters. Lots of times they're kept kind of from progressing in their careers because they might not have the appropriate Western education levels, you know, a degree or a diploma or something, but they have you know, might have twenty three forty years experience of being on the fire and so knowledgeable and incredible, and I think, you know, a lots of times we need to look at where Western science as well got some of its ideas. Like I've spoken to many elders who've told me about drip torches and how they would use tree limbs and sap to create their own drip torches. That's what their ancestors did and how they would spread fire across the landscape was in doing that. So now you know, it's a metal canister with fuel in it, but it's kind of the same idea that indigenous people's had about how to use fire properly on the land, and just this incredible knowledge base and people in the communities, you know, had roles in Canada, sum nations actually had families that were fire keepers. There were many people who knew about fire and had knowledge about fire activity.
Speaker 1: After the break, you'll hear a clip from Good Fire podcast hosts Amy Christensen and Matt Christoff talking about Indigenous firefighters experience on the fire line, and I admit I found this discussion hilarious. But before that, remember Henry T. Lewis Hank the anthropologist who wrote A Time for Burning and made that Fires of Spring film, So the retro sixteen millimeter film aesthetics are far from the coolest thing about his fireworks.
Speaker 3: One of the coolest things I think from Henry Lewis's work was when he was speaking to woodland Crean Dana elders about how they would use fire to melt the frost in the ground. And I've seen actually a few kind of Western science studies lately on that, but that's actually an older technique that the communities would use. So you get kind of all the dry grass on top of a meadow or something, and they would go and burn that in the really early spring. Because that's the most important thing about indigenous burning is the time to burn, when it's safe to do a good fire and they would that would then turn that level that grass into you know, black, and so the black would absorb the heat of the sun and then start to melt the frost out of the ground in the early spring, and that would give you much like earlier green shoots and green grass coming up that then moves deer other things could come in and eat in that area, so it would make your hunting or other things a lot easier to do. So yeah, I think that that's those are things you know that and there's probably so much more out there that we don't even know that communities use and how they would use fire in a good way. And I mean if people are interested as well. You know, Frank Lake, I think is probably one of the first kind of fire ecologists who also is an Indigenous man who you know, saw very early the importance of indigenous fire knowledge and bringing it. And he's written some really great publications that I think for people who are eye opening, you know, about how we can use fire in a good way on the landscape and.
Speaker 1: To hear an earload of other incredible Indigenous voices in fire ecology, you want to subscribe to Goodfire. It's a podcast series by Amy and Matt, and we are featuring audio from a discussion as they launched Goodfire in twenty nineteen. They were gracious enough to let us steal some clips to round out the conversation amid our tech issues this week, and as it turned out, Amy and I had further trouble connecting because those three fires that she mentioned around her family cabin got bigger and they were forced to evacuate from their vacation. So yes, her work is timely and personal, and she literally wrote the book on this, a volume titled First Nations Wildfire Evacuations, A Guide for Communities and External Agencies, alongside Tara McGee and First Nations Wildfire Evacuation Partnership. So I'm going to link to that in the show notes as well. Now in her name, we're donating this week to a cause of her choosing, and she asked her to go to Indigenous Residential School Survivors that's IRSSS dot CA. For over twenty years, they've assisted First Nation people in British Columbia to recognize and be holistically empowered from the primary and generational effect of the residential schools by supporting research, education, awareness, establishing partnerships and advocating for justice and healing. And the society assists survivors with counseling, court support, information, referrals, workshops and more. And you can find out more at IRSSS dot Ca. There's a link in the show notes. And in Canada, consider participating in Orange Shirt Day on September thirtieth. It's also known as National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Okay, so that donation was made possible by some sponsors of the show, and so many of you patrons asked about indigenous fire management, namely, and I'll list you all off at once, very quickly, Cameron Brown, Doug potential future fire ourcologist, Ronan Jackie, Crisperhoer, Kimberly Hoffman, Ellen Skelton, Thomas n Wyndham, Breonna Freeman, Justin Roberts, Anthony Willis, Donnell O'Neil, and Alexandra Quetul. And because our time chatting was cut short again, we're so on and lucky to feature relevant clips from a conversation with The Good Fire podcast host Amy Christensen and her co host Matt Christoph. Okay, here Amy is talking to Matt about fears of.
Speaker 3: Fire even in our indigenous communities, like lots of people are now worried about fire and scared of fire, and I think so for me, when I come across people like you know that kind of have that tendency to think of fire as bad, I always say, you know, well there's good fire, and that's kind of you know the name from the podcast, So you know, when we're doing these kind of good fires, it's basically it's not a wildfire. It's totally different. Most Indigenous people want to bring back burning right and bring back that cultural practice to their landscape because most elders, when they look at the forest, the first thing that they say is that it's unhealthy and that it needs cleaning up. When I first started working a bunch of elders, I'd always hear this cleaning up phrase, cleaning up. And you know, it took a while till I realized that you know, that meant fire, that they want it, because you know, you know, don't normally think of that. You think like I'll go out with a rake or something like Donald Trump thinks that we're doing. But you know, it was actually, you know, that they wanted to use fire to kind of clean up all that dead litter on the forest for so they just want to do that again in their territory. But I think they also realized that because of the fire suppression that we've had over the last you know, fifty to three hundred years, depending where you are in Canada, Yeah, that it's not that easy just to bring back our burning practices, right because we burned on intervals, So depending on where you were. You know, if you were burning a meadow, you might burn the meadow every three years. If you're burning like, you know, an old growth forest, and you might burn every twenty years. Like you know, it just depended on what you were burning or what objective you are trying to achieve. So you know, and now we've excluded fire, so I mean the litter and the build up of fuel is crazy. So I think like now most of the elders I talked to, if they say, like if we went and tried to do this now, like we would basically burn down the forest because we'd be trying kin to start a low intensity burned, but there's just too much fuel on the on the floor, so it would immediately like escalate.
Speaker 1: So how do indigenous fire scientists and wildlands firefighters approach these really different schools of thought. Any explains to me.
Speaker 3: We call it like two eyed seeing. So that's kind of the new concept that's come up. So that's like, you know, where as indigenous people or even as non indigenous, like you know, you're looking at the world through one eye, through your Western perspective, right, because we're all trained in that. You know, like there's not there's very few people that you know are born and raised in the bush and have that kind of only subsistence lifestyle. But then out of the other eye, you know, you can see with your indigenous eye, right, so you can see, you know, how you know where things could be better. And I think for me that's where fire management comes in because you know, I'm trained from the Western perspective, but I think you know, from like culture then like you know, there's things that indigenous people do or know better. And you know, for me, part of my job is you know, advocating for that trying so you know, it's not saying like drop all Western science around fire, right, we need that, we need that too, But then indigenous people and our cultures also no ways you know for making the forest healthy, so to me. If you bring those two together, it makes like, you know what I mean, it's then you have like an incredible knowledge base that you're coming from.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Ah, the firefighter stories I promised you.
Speaker 3: One example is like talking to firefighters. So there's this one guy who is a non like a non indigenous firefighter. So it's kind of funny up on the you know, the fire crews, there lots of that. There's like thirty or forty year indigenous firefighters that have been on the fire line a long time and they say, you know, these new kids, like university grads come up and start telling them what to do. So this one guy was actually telling me that he, you know, he started out of university as kind of a fireboss and went up on the one line and he had these native crews, and he said he was that he thought they were the laziest people in the world because he's like, they would get up in the morning and work a little bit, but then he's like, then they nap all day and then like in the in the bush, you know, and then he's like, but then you know, they would get up and kind of work all night, and then he's like and then I started like really looking and watching what they were doing. And he said that. Then one of the guys came up and told him, like, we fight the fire when it's the weakest, because we see fire as a living being. And why would you fight something at the height of its day, you know, like at two pm on a really sunny, hot day with high winds, right, Like, why would you do anything? Right, Like the fire can just jump or yeah, you know, but if you, you know, fight it in the morning when it's the weakest, or in the evening or overnight.
Speaker 4: High and the temperature is low, and so the activities, yeah, decrease.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and everyone, well I should say generally now with climate change, who knows, but generally fire activity decreases at night, right, So Sony's but these guys have got that not from textbooks but from years of being out and watching fires, so I think. And so he was saying, like to me, like this non indigenous kid that that it was just amazing to see that because he didn't learn any of that in school. And so for him, he said, he'd learned more that summer working with the native crews about fire than going to school. Basically not to say, you know, don't stay in school kids, but like because that's important too, but you know, there's other ways and other things to learn as well about about fire. Lots of the indigenous fire guys they'd always tell me. One of the funniest things is like the when the fire season first starts in like in Cree, the word for white boy or whatever is moonew. So they say, like, oh, it's so funny. One like the mooneal come on the fire because he's like, they're all just doing selfies with the fire in the background, and he's like and we're all like, you know, actually working, and he's like and you look and all the moonya are just lined up way away from the fire take itself. And then it was funny because then I started seeing on Facebook, like.
Speaker 2: Lots of people on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think that that's like just maybe a bit of and it's kind of more of like because for Indigenous people it's more of a lifestyle, right, so they're they've been doing that that so it's it's a great career for Indigenous people because they can go out in the summer, make money, be on the land, and then in the winter they can go and like run their chaplines or hunt, be with their families and like kind of participate in their their culture.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think that that's why it's become like kind of a nice lifestyle for certain people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: So how do agencies and nations work together. How can ecologists and fire keepers spark those collaborations?
Speaker 3: People always say, oh, you need to engage with the indigenous communities and and well, like to me, that's a nice concept. I know that lots of non indigenous people or companies get frustrated because you know, they go to these communities and try to engage and nobody turns up or you know, they can't get a hold of anybody, nobody returns their calls. And so I think for me, like the thing to remember with that is, you know, for people to remember that like first, nations are under the Indian Act, right, so basically all their resource and and you know how their capital for how they're run all basically is decided in Ottawa almost you know, and how much money comes down to them. So most of the times, you know, even though the communities have high capacity, you know, for forestry, your other things, it's often very underfunded because of what comes down the stream from Ottawa.
Speaker 1: Ottawa is an eastern Canada in Ontario, and did you know that Ottawa is the capital of Canada. I didn't until right now. So if you feel the same, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Basically there's not enough money, right so they you know, might not have a forestry coordinator, they might not have a lands person or you know, or the chief might be like that. You know, the chief has to manage housing, healthcare like you know, everything like you get so, I know people get frustrated. But at the same time, I think, you know, there's it needs to be a bit of patience and understanding there that lots of the nations are trying as much as they can, and some are great. Like there's some nations you know that have really gone into forestry there, you know, the community forests in BC. I think that those are a really great example of things that are working well. Or I know there's been partnerships like between different like forest industries and indigenous nations too. Most forestry people don't go into forestry because they want to you know, kill all the trees and everything, right. They go into because they love being in the forest, right, so they want to sustain that most indigenous people love being in the forest, right, so right there you have a match of you know, so then it almost goes to, well, then, you know, if these are our shared values, how then can we you know, move forward together. But I think one of the problems is that there's a real lack of trust because there's been a lot of people that have taken advantage of indigenous communities. So you know, come in and said good things, said all the right things, and then you know, ended up taking money and you know, not involving the nation, and so it take it can take a while. I think like a helpful thing too is employing indigenous people. So you know, when you make or want to work in a certain nation or with them, you know, to employ people from that band and give them, you know, a sustainable you know career. And there's lots of indigenous people that actually have forest tech diplomas and other things yep, that that can do that. So I think, you know, and I know it's not easy either. I don't want people to think like, oh, yeah, you just sit at a table and decide your values and then everything goes away.
Speaker 1: Amy explains that over the many years, promises have been made and broken, and outside collaboration has seemed to come with a price tag.
Speaker 3: You know, I think you need to recognize, you know, if you want to do this kind of work, that there has to be some kind of benefit for the community as a whole as well, whether that's you know, monetarily or you know, supporting like a recreational forest or you know something. Yeah, to kind of come to that, I don't like, there's not I think an easy answer for you know, like just do this one step and you know Indigenous people will love to work with you. But for me, I think that forestry really has an advantage over say like the oil and gas industry because I think that there's many more share values or like I think the worldview of an Indigenous person in a forester is much more similar. So yeah, I think that that's kind of exciting almost, and you know, something kind of a future And I've seen like a bunch of nations now you know, are opening their own little sawmills and other things, and to me, that's like exciting. So because it has to do with the housing crises we have, right so they want to be able to you know, harvest their own wood to build their own homes, which I mean, why we aren't doing that. I have no idea, you know, instead of shipping in the wood and timber and stuff. So I think, yeah, there's unfortunately there's not like a really easy answer, but I would say, like the biggest thing is, you know, to be genuine and patient and then understand that history. You know, that the situation that you're coming into, because lots of people get like a I don't want to say white savior because that sounds really bad, but you know it's kind of like, oh, I'm going to go to the community and help them or you know, like yeah, and I think the problem is that there's a revolving door of these you know, white saviors or people that you know are coming to save them. And like even like if you go to a First nation conference, like there's just kind of business people all over the place trying to sell the chiefs on different ideas and different different things. So yeah, it's almost kind of being becoming trusted in the community and then also working long term. And that's something that you know, are especially in government, like we don't really support because you know, everyone kind of wants to climb the ladder in government whereas you know, the most trusted people are generally the ones from the community who've been in the community the longest, and that's generally who like an Indigenous person would trust. Yeah, so yeah, it's almost like doing these relationships long term too, And I think there's some great examples out there of things that are going really well.
Speaker 1: So, yes, trust and incentives really matter, as does plain old money.
Speaker 3: And I would say lots of that does come from like that funding issue. You know that sometimes they just don't have enough money. And then also other times, you know, we're dealing with lots of issues that have been brought on by colonization, right, So like if you're dealing with a suicide crisis in your community, you're not really going to care about forestry, right, And so I hear people say that too, like to me sometimes about you know, when I talk about how we're stewards of the environment, they'll say to me, like, have you ever been on a reserve and looked at like you know, there's garbage everywhere and you know, and people don't care about their houses, and like that's hardly an environmental steward And to me, that's colonization, right, Like that's where where we've gone and where we've been pushed.
Speaker 1: So reminder that cultural burning practices were criminalized, but now they're becoming of interest to Western scientists, and Amy says that we're turning to that fired stewardship could be really healing for forests, for people who love the forest, and for the people who have been kept from doing it for so long.
Speaker 3: Moving forward, it's kind of like re like regaining our culture back. And so that's like where to relate it to burning. That's we're burning in those things. It's burning for us is a cultural practice, right, And so I think by getting fire back on the landscape by kind of making our forest healthier, you know, than that promotes a healthier community. So you know, instead of kids sitting inside, you know, they're out on the land and like what kid doesn't like fire, right, So they're out with their elder like burning. And then it's those neat things like even just showing kids like how smart their ancestors were. Like the one elder that I was talking to was telling me about how drip torches actually came from First Nations people, which I didn't know, but I think, like that, to me, that's neat because you take kids out there and you show them like, well, you know, drip torches came from you, you know, and and and even like kids had jobs on fires, right, So oh man, I actually heard this fantastic Well that also made me cry the other day from this guy in Australia and he was saying for them, burning is such a family affair. And actually that's what I hear too from all of our that people I've talked to here, is that you know, it wouldn't just be the men that would go out and burn, it's the entire family and the kids. Like one thing they would do is pick up like pine cones and you know, light them on fire and then from the fire and then throw them.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's so like awesome for kids. And I know, like there's fire managers probably listening to this saying, oh my goodness, they're going to burn down.
Speaker 4: The Please do not do this. If you are just a kid listening, I don't want to start throwing flaming balls of fire, don't do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this was obviously under the direction of elders and you know also burning at like very low risk times, right, Like this was not in the yes, but so you know, it was to give the kids a job on the fire, and the one guy from Australia was saying that for his mob that for them, it was bringing children's laughter back to the forest because the trees hadn't heard the children laugh in a long time and they felt that that was needed for the trees to be healthy too. And I mean that kind of relates like obviously children's laughter does not you know, directly affect the tree, but it's more that like if people are out on the land stewarding it, right, then that promotes health for the health of the trees. So anyways, to me, that was such a beautiful like quote because I think too often, you know, we kind of remove that or remove kind of the community.
Speaker 1: Patroon Nitnikki DeMarco asked, is there any way we could go back to indigenous stewardship to help with this problem or does the red tape make it not feasible? So moving forward, what are the legalities of it?
Speaker 3: So on our like the reserves, we're technically allowed to burn, right because that's the you know the band, well it's federal jurisdiction, but you know, the band kind of has a bit of control over it, so you know that you don't need provincial permission to do that. So, you know, lots of agents fire management agencies say, you know, oh, we're so supportive of indigenous people and we want to help that you know, you know, support their practices, you know, until we say, you know, we want to burn something. And so you know what I've seen, even you know, in BC is where I'm doing a lot of work right now, because the nations there are so passionate burning. But you know, they they're going into these meetings and it's you know, like a really complicated process to get prescribed burning on the ground, and it's very Western base. You know, you have to know like fuel types that are out there. Yeah, it's like a crazy twelve step process. And most of the communities look at that and just say, you know, we'll screw this. We're burning ourselves.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: And then even when they want to burn, like I've heard of lots, you know where somebody sees smoke and then you know, calls the you know, calls the emergency number and then you know, a helicopter will just come and put out their their little fire that they're burning right without you know, coming and dropping down and maybe talking to the people or are seeing what's going on. So there's a bit of a disconnect, and I can see it from both sides, right because especially in BC, like the fires has been so crazy that I think, you know, the BC fire manager or wildfire service there, you know, obviously doesn't want out of control fires, yes, but the nations there want to burn. And so what I'm seeing right now is because they they're just us like smashing heads basically, like they're supportive until we want to burn. And because of that smashing of heads, is that now the nations are saying like, well, screw you, this is our territory. We're doing what we want, you know. And then like it becomes like this real conflict situation, and we're trying to work with like the agency and you know, maybe even introduce some sort of like cultural burn protocol or procedure you know that's more indigenous based, that same thing, like you're kind of getting permission, you know, you're notifying the correct authorities, but it's not as crazy as this like existing process.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's and we've just again it's not a thing We've discussed a bit on the on the other episodes we did that, yeah, the Good Fire podcast. But talking about that, that's another big barrier to indigenous burning or cultural burning however you want to call it. Is the like the Western barriers on that because like, you're right, we don't want out of control of fires.
Speaker 3: Yes, so yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Western like the Western government, like we want to make sure that like any fire that is started is going to become a problem for anything outside of the reserve or whatever. Right, But also at the same time recognizing that, like you think you were saying, Indigenous people have been working with fire for thousands of years and understand the relationship, So how do you make sure that government feels comfortable with this going on? But also ensuring that because it's entirely possible. Also, like this is something that somebody who's playing Devil's Advocate would say, right, is just saying that, like, well, how do we ensure that they know what they're doing, because it could be somebody who just because they're Indigenous doesn't mean they know what's going on, right, they have to have that knowledge pass down and collected somehow.
Speaker 3: And you know, I've heard that all the time, like, oh, if we allow this, the Indians are going to be lighting fires.
Speaker 5: Everywhere, like yeah, exactly right, and then that kind of fear yeah, right, So there's that fear of will they take advantage of this and just do it for fun or whatever, and that exists, So we have to address that fear.
Speaker 4: So how do we There's going to have to be a collaboration somehow to be like, Okay, we acknowledge that like these four people somehow. Unfortunately, that's the way it's going to happen. I think it's probably gonna have to go that these four people in this band have the knowledge, yeah, and they have to be like, I don't know, and this is super westernized for me to think, right, like, these people have the knowledge and understanding of how to do this, so if they're in charge, we're not going to worry about it. But I also feel like indigenous communities having to talk to the overlord, the government of all what they're doing on their own land is counter is exactly the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so that's like, so you know, like there's fireboss training, right or no burn boss training, So there's like different levels of that you can go through the same thing. It's very Western, like I know that now, Like there's Bob Gray and other guys who train on that who are starting to incorporate a bit of Indigenous knowledge or you know the importance of Indigenous knowledge and burning. But same, it's very like kind of Western. You know, this is how we light a prescribe fire, and that's all we know.
Speaker 4: That's the only culture I know, right, so it's where my perspective is going to come from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're doing brain the FireKeepers and we're like, you know, well they do a certification course to get that, So maybe what we need to do then is have a cultural burning certification course, right, so that you know, people would go through and then once they get that, then you know they can go and and light fires or whatever. But then then we had a lot of fire keepers that were saying like, no, that is basically just us trying to fit into a Western system, right, And they were saying, like the one guy actually at the fire keeper's conference, I just went to the government people were talking and he stood up and he just said, you know, I find this really difficult because they were talking about, you know, like all the procedures you need to go through to get approven. He stood up and he just said, you know, for me, this is my families and like my nation's inherent right to steward the land, this is my responsibility. This is why I was put on this earth, you know. So for me then to have to go and ask you for permission to do what is my responsibility and my right, that doesn't make any sense. And then he was saying, like, you know, one hundred years ago, you guys were telling us we couldn't burn because we were destroying the forest, and now you're saying, test oh, only we can burn because you know you because now the forest is destroyed. And he's like, you're the ones, you know who's practices because you wouldn't listen to us, you know, have led to this. If you would have listened to my ancestors, you know, then we wouldn't be in this predicament we're in now, So like, let us kind of take it over. So I think it's one of those like I don't I hate I don't really like that term like wicked issue, you know, where it's like super complex, But it is kind of like that in a way, right, because you like you're worried the forest isn't healthy right now. I don't personally want to say to somebody like, yeah, go out and burn and then have you know, a massive crownd fire start. But I think the thing is with indigenous fire practice is that it's you know, you're burning at very specific times. So you know, it's like early spring before the snow is left in Canada, it's late fall, just like the day or two before the first snow fall. Right, You're not burning lif like obviously in the summer. So like I would think that that, you know, obviously still should be criminalized to some extent. You know that you need to find people or whatever that are just going because that is very high risk. And so like what our like elders and ancestors say from like the different nations that I've talked to is that you know, our burning that we do is so low risk. That's why we don't need protective equipment. That's why we don't need a burn plan, because if we're doing it right, you know, there's there's literally very lower zero risk. Why I think they would say zero risk to what they're doing, you know, to starting an out of control fire or somebody getting hurt.
Speaker 4: It's amazing how complicated the situation is to try and navigate this, but I think, yeah, the only way forward is to.
Speaker 3: Come together and discussions.
Speaker 4: It seems like a cop out to say that, because it's just like like we need to discuss it, but unfortunately that's the truth.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and on the Good Fire podcast, I think like that's what's interesting is because with the range of people that we talked to on there, Like, you know, you go from somebody who thinks, you know, like it's their right to burn and they're not working with any agency, and then to like other people who you know, are employed like me kind of buy an agency, like Frank Lake, you know, he works for US Forest Service and he's used his you know, work within this kind of western government structure to bring more fire back to his territory. So yeah, it's just it's really interesting to see kind of all the different perspectives.
Speaker 1: So that conversation was from the Your Forest podcast, which is hosted by Matt Christoff, who also co hosts Good Fire with Amy, And of course there's a whole Good Fire episode with Frank Lake, and there's so many other great voices in indigenous fire ecology. So I'm going to link that episode in the podcast in general on my website, and I will also put up a link to the wonderful forty seven page book called Blazing the Trail, celebrating Indigenous fire stewardship. So many resources, so much learning. Now to wrap up, though, let's talk about some pains in some assets. So the most vexing thing about Amy's job.
Speaker 3: I'd have to say my least favorite thing about my job is the bureaucracy, which I think that most people who work in a government agency can relate to. It's sometimes really frustrating when you know, you know something needs to be done or what a solution could be, but then you kind of get held up in all sorts of bureaucratic processes. So I mean, that's my least favorite. Unfortunately, it takes up a lot of time that we could be, you know, devoting to other things. So that's frustrating for sure.
Speaker 1: In the standout best aspect, the most brightly glowing coal.
Speaker 3: But I think my most favorite thing about my job is that I'm able to work with communities and knowledge keepers from across Canada and then internationally sometimes as well, And I really realize that that's you know, a position of privilege that I have and that I'm in to be able to do that, and it comes like with a lot of responsibility that often you know, keeps me awake at night, but for me when I'm able to bring fire keepers or other people to events or other things and just see their pride and finally being recognized in their knowledge being known, and sometimes like I've been referring to that as kind of like, you know, we have this big severance event with fire, but now what we're almost seeing is this reunion with fire where Indigenous people are coming back to it. And so, you know, we have the land back movement for Indigenous people, and often I think, you know, we need a fireback movement as well, where Indigenous people you know, empowered again to make those decisions on the land. And what I'm seeing right now in Canada especially, is that there is a movement where people want to be involved in fire management decisions that are happening in their territories. And so I think that's really exciting.
Speaker 1: So ask smart people exciting questions because sometimes the situation is impossibly complex and they can help break it down for you, like a focus on a fallen lock and so for more on this topic, you can get yourself some good Fire podcast into your ears. It's hosted by Amy and by Matt Christoff, and it's linked in the show notes. Matth's podcast Again is Your Forest Podcast. Thank you so much to him for letting us use so much of his interview with Amy. You can follow Amy at Christensen Amy on Twitter. There are more links in the show notes and up at my website aliwar dot com slash Ologies slash good Fire. You can follow us at ologies on Twitter and Instagram. I'm at ali Ward with one l New full length adult friendly episodes continue to come out on Tuesday, and we're moving smologies releases to the weekend I think Sundays or Mondays, so look for a new kid friendly episode next week. Also, I'm sorry that my neighbor's dog's barking. I can't really do anything about it. We gotta get this episode up. I'm So Sweaty. Merch is available at ologiesmerch dot com. Thank you to sisters Shannon fellas Us and Body Dutch for managing merch. They host a podcast called You Are That, a comedy podcast. Thank you to longtime friend Aaron Talbert we met when we were four, for admitting the Ologies podcast Facebook group. Thank you to Emily White of the Wordery Professional Transcription Company for making transcripts for Ologies. They're available for free on my website. Thank you Caleb Patten for Bleeping episodes. Thank you Noel Dilworth for all the scheduling, and Susan Hale, both of you for helping with social media quizes and such as always giant thank you to Resident editor by resident, I mean we live in the same bed, shared sleeper who helped me stitch all these audio clips together. And also of course to Steph Maray Morris for all the editing help and for working on Somologies now too. Nick Thorburn wrote and performed the theme music. And if you listen to the end, you know I tell you the secret. This week's secret. It's pretty juicy. It's actually not. It's that I prefer dry, pulpy oranges. I don't want a juicy orange. I want the pulp to hold all the juice. I don't want to need juice on my hands. I want to dry, pulpy orange. I don't know if it's a certain kind of orange or if I have to just let them stand on the counterlonger. But if you are a pulpologist and you know this, holler let me know, because every time I open an orange, I'm rolling the dice. I'm like, come on, give me a dry one. Is it gross? I don't know, I don't care anyway, berbye. Pacodermatology, homiology or doo zoology, lithology, technology, meteorology, paratology, anthology, ceiology, slidology.
Speaker 3: Have you ever thought about fighting fire with fire?