Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty Later with Ma kelln Oh, we here the party.
Speaker 2: Are we here to turn that mother and father out? Yes, from the windows to the wall. We're gonna do it all night long. Happy Halloween on the Lady with Mo Kelly.
Speaker 3: Aren't you glad to be in the space tonight? Yes, we have all of your favorite people associated with Lady with Mo Kelly. Let's do the introductions very quickly. Producer and co host t Walla Sharp all right, and it took me a minute to get it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: If you can see Twalla Sharp right now, he has this gold accoutrement around his neck and he has this information all around him.
Speaker 5: Can anyone guess his costume?
Speaker 6: No one that I already told though, can anyone guess it?
Speaker 3: He did it?
Speaker 5: That's not wrong, Okay, not wrong? No, run DMC.
Speaker 6: It is what you would automatically think, But you have to think what am I?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 6: Who am I? You see the news print? You see this fake jewelry there?
Speaker 3: It is all right, all right? And we had our favorite newsperson in the whole damn world, none other than the Mark Runner. We're gonna have a full cavalcade of all of our commentators and contributors here with later with Mo Kelly. Tonight, we'll be joined by Jackie Ray bed beyond the box row. With Jackie Ray, we're gonna get some of the viral low with Tiffany Hobbs. Wos to be in the house later on tonight and even that nice exercise. Lady Claudine Cooper will be in the house joining us and my from another myster you can tell by we just think the same way when it comes to technology.
Speaker 5: The Marcia call your Marsha. Let everyone see you.
Speaker 3: See how we dressed up similarly, we're both from Starfleet Academy. Let me see all my Starfleet Academy folks. Go ahead and stand up. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: We are one and the same.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you, I'm overjoyed to see each and every one of you. This is something that we've been working on, at least an idea for quite some time, and now to see it to come to fruition is something which is.
Speaker 5: No small accomplishment.
Speaker 3: This show has grown tremendously not because of what we've done, it's because of what you've done. You have emailed, you have posted on social media, you have reached out to us, you have supported the name that movie called Classic Competition. You have told a friend again and again, and because of your actions, we can do this tonight. So please give yourselves a round of applause.
Speaker 6: And MO, we cannot we cannot forget. We also have not a cade la Cruise in house. Oh Friday Nights with Knights Naica in the building.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is so.
Speaker 5: It is so overwhelming to see all of you.
Speaker 3: I've heard most of you, some of you I've even met over over the course of years. But then to see you some of your voices do not match your your look and it's okay, but it's like I'm thinking, like, oh my goodness, that's wrong. I had no idea And to see you here at iHeartMedia. Isn't this a fabulous a set out tonight on a layout. We've all got a lot of food to everyone. Get some food.
Speaker 5: I know, I did, I know.
Speaker 3: I just made sure that I ate it, you know, damn all y'all, but make sure I got some food at least. But we're gonna listen to you tonight. We're gonna hear from you. We're gonna give away some great prizes. To tell them real quickly what we're gonna be giving away till we have passes.
Speaker 6: Someone who has the best costume on here is going to get a family for a pack plus pit tickets.
Speaker 3: What to Monster Jam?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 6: We have some new later with Mo Kelly t shirts, mugs and key chains. We have tons of shirts and also the good people at Wendy's who are providing delicious foods back there. They have some SpongeBob square Pants gear for y'all. So we have lots to give away tonight. There are a bunch of winners gonna be in the house tonight. So not only did you win to get here, but you're winning.
Speaker 5: Cutz, you're here.
Speaker 3: Let's put our hats together for Ron Ross at Whitney's and also Ed Garrigos and Wendy's because without them this would not have been possible, So we want to thank them first and for most. This is gonna be a fun evening. I can't tell you what's going to happen because a lot of it is going to be dependent on you, your energy, your fun, just hanging out with us. We didn't have any type of script because we don't script this. We just come here to make sure that we entertain you. And also we let everyone know that this this is the coolest three hours at All Talk Radio. I don't care what anybody has to say. If they don't know, they're gonna know soon because y'all gonna tell somebody. And also want to thank Matt, who's on our social media tonight. Put your hands together for Matt.
Speaker 5: Matt in the building.
Speaker 3: So as we get forward, going forward, just want to make sure that you stay in a place of having a great amount of fun. We have some guests who will be in the house that will introduce you to a little bit later on tonight. So if you ever listened to Lady with Mo Kelly, you're going to be rewarded because all the voices that you've heard are now going to be the people that you get to meet, you get to see and get to interact with, take photos with. We're all families, so don't finkus on some celebrity stuff or any type of notoriety. We appreciate you and we are here only to say thank you tonight. So are we all ready to have some fun? I don't think you're ready. Are we all ready just to have a little bit of fun tonight. Yeah. And we're also live on Instagram Live I mister Kelly, m R m OK E L L Y. So if you can't listen right now, you can always see what you're missing at home. Too bad for them, they should have been here. We're gonna go to a quick break and then we're gonna get.
Speaker 5: This the party really started. It's Later with Mo Kelly.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: KIM six forty.
Speaker 5: It is Later with Mo Kelly.
Speaker 3: We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And I tell you to see all your faces. Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness. I know that you had to brave hell and high water to get here, because it took me a good two hours. For some reason, the traffic was worse than usual. It took me a long time to get here. And I'm thinking, like, is it just because of me? I mean, what is all this going on? And when I hit let me just tell you my route. I go to one ten North, you know how it is in La I go to the one ten, Then I go to the five. Then I go to the one thirty four, and for some reason, it took me two hours to go twenty two miles. Two hours, twenty two miles. And I said, I've got to get there because I have to see all of you. So I know if it was difficult for me, it had to have been difficult for you. Did anyone have to take a really circuitous route to get here? I know we have someone from Lancaster, who is from Lancaster. How long did it take you?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, wait, it took you an hour to get there? For hear from Lancaster, and it took me two hours to get here from my Englewood area. What is going on?
Speaker 5: Sandy? Where did you come from?
Speaker 3: Sandy took surface streets and you got here. Okay, I need to just get off the freeways all together. And I was on the phone with Twala, and I know Twalla was struggling.
Speaker 5: How long did it take you?
Speaker 6: It took me at least an hour to get here? But that's the one eighteen to the five.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 6: For there was this short little blockade and it just stopped me. And I said to myself, I need to get here. And I was trying to speed again there because I needed to meet you know, Ron and ed and helped get the food up and I was like, oh my god, it's gonna be late to stand outside. The food's gonna go cold. So I was really really rushing. So I'm glad I did not get pulled over. Thank you to the California Highway Patrol for ignoring the speeding Bronco going down the freeway.
Speaker 5: They didn't think. You're like, oh Jay spirit.
Speaker 3: We don't have we don't have the rim shots up here.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: It is really funny.
Speaker 3: The fun that we have on air to take you behind the scenes is the fun that we have every single night. None of it is forced, none of it is fake. And one of my brothers, and I mean this with all my heart, one of my brothers is Mark Ronner because he is someone who kind of just jumped in and I and he had the sense of humor which just meshed with ours. He saw the world as we did. Not that we agreed on everything, but we just had this cynicism and sarcasm that really worked well together. And to think to get him out is more than a small accomplishment because he goes nowhere nowhere and it's only because of you that he is here tonight.
Speaker 5: This is no joke.
Speaker 6: We were literally all week twisting his arm, going back and forth. You know, maybe I could be in the room next to you all that kind of peek my head in. He was gonna be right over there that door, just gonna open the door and just say hey everyone, and just stay out there.
Speaker 5: We said, no, Mark, you got to be in.
Speaker 6: You can come in full godsop head to toe, cover your face if you want to. It's Halloween.
Speaker 5: And so wait, what are you though? Mark? Are you golda read riding hood? Wait? What's up?
Speaker 4: Can you hear me?
Speaker 5: Okay? With the mask? Yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean yeah, yeah, it's a little weird, but it is a little.
Speaker 5: Bit weird, dude.
Speaker 4: So I thought I wanted something fun and uplifting, and it took me a while to think of this. But what the kids find more fun and uplifting than Edgar Allan Poe's Masker of the Red Death. It's a great kids story.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, that's all.
Speaker 5: We read to our children.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, all I can think of is like the Raven and nevermore.
Speaker 5: That's about it.
Speaker 4: Kids love Poe, can't get enough Poe can't get enough pop Wait what hoo, Poe Edgar Allan Poe po Oh. So you'll be shocked to know that the Red Death didn't have to give anybody the finger on the way into work today.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, and we're off. That is racicous, I know, and that also is a true story. We try to admonish him each and every night. Please don't give anyone the bird or the double bird, because we want you to make it to the show safely. And how will we be able to do the show if you get shot somewhere on the on the way in.
Speaker 5: No one would dare.
Speaker 3: See what I have to deal with every single night, every single night. This always this pushback, there's always this resistance where he just can't get along with the rest of us. But we had to go through hell and high water to get him here tonight. Because he's not that he's anti social, it's just that he's not someone that we can really get outside all that often. So this is a very very special occasion. And you may not know that Mark is so very talented. He is an accomplished writer. He is a he is a former CIA or.
Speaker 5: Something like that. He is he is a jiu jitsu master.
Speaker 6: He can fix nuclear bomb.
Speaker 5: Weren't you studying for your doctorate?
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter, does it matter?
Speaker 3: Yes, it does. You have this great life story that you never want to tell anybody.
Speaker 4: Well, you don't want to reveal everything all at once. It's important for you to know that I wanted to be here to show my enormous personal respect to Youmo Kelly.
Speaker 5: Now we all know that that.
Speaker 6: Don't don't try to front for the audience. Okay, don't put on, you know, fronts for the audience.
Speaker 5: We know.
Speaker 4: I think my respect for you is palpable, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Let me just be serious for a moment. Mark Runner is so very talented. He is a man of many talents. He can do many things. He is very well read.
Speaker 4: He's very well educated.
Speaker 3: Now he'll never get married, but he is someone who live from Utah.
Speaker 5: Please proceed, see see what I'm dealing with. But he is someone who is so very quick.
Speaker 3: There's so many jokes that we can never tell you, and you'll be privy to all of them tonight. Because the conversations we have off air, raally can get on air because we have this thing called like the FCC and you know their laws and their limitations, and they're fines, and there's only so much profanity that we can use.
Speaker 5: But off there, Mark is a whole different guy. You think how many things that Mark is lovable? He's not.
Speaker 3: Let me disabuse you of that notion right now.
Speaker 5: No, he know. He is one of our best friends and he's someone.
Speaker 3: Honestly, this show would not be what it is, and what it is may mean different things to different people, but it would not be what it is without him. There's this sense of timing, there's this sense of brotherhood and friendship when we go back and forth trying to get the rim shot. And anyone who's listened to the show knows that we are always in competition.
Speaker 5: For the rim shot.
Speaker 3: The competition is real because we're always trying to outwit and outthink each other. And Mark damn sure makes it hard because he has all these literary references and these television references and cinematic references, and it's like, gosh, I mean, how do you keep all that stuff out up in their head and be able to and have it available on command?
Speaker 4: Well, I feel like partially I'm autistic, but also the rimshot thing is rigged. Stephan clearly is on team Mo, and I find that unacceptable.
Speaker 3: Well, it's later with Mo Kelly, it's not earlier with Mark Ryant. I mean, if the show was named after you, then you probably get a little bit more love.
Speaker 4: But it is you might as well just operate the shot thing yourself.
Speaker 5: Well, look, life is not fair. Not all things are gonna go your way in life. Clearly, Clearly, I.
Speaker 3: Was born with a little more funny than you. That's just how it turned out.
Speaker 4: Okay, and good looks what else you got.
Speaker 5: See you're being sarcastic, but I'm being serious. I am funnier than you.
Speaker 4: I would never be sarcastic with you because I respect you too much.
Speaker 5: And we all know that that is not true at all.
Speaker 3: But we're here on Halloween, and the purpose of coming here on Halloween is to talk about and remember all the things which made Halloween so special for us. I remember growing up and Halloween was the day.
Speaker 5: I was never big on candy, but.
Speaker 3: I love the process of trick or treating, which seems to be gone now. I love the process of going out with my friends to random neighborhoods and just seeing how much candy I could get. It wasn't even about eating it. It was about if I could outdo my friends and just get more candy, I can get more type of attention and favors. And I don't know if kids today have that same type of affinity. I don't know if they'll develop those same types of memories where they can say, yes, I remember going trick or treating with my friends.
Speaker 5: What is trick or treating? Now do they still do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah they do.
Speaker 6: My Look, my daughter just outgrew trick or treating at fourteen thirteen. She was all about trick or treating. That that was her thing. But now fourteen is no that. We don't tricker treat anymore. Now we go to parties. So now you know she's been fighting to go to this Halloween party.
Speaker 5: What party it's it's a costume party.
Speaker 3: I never was allowed to go to a Halloween party at night as a kid.
Speaker 6: Well this is this ain't like a rave man. You know, she's fourteen And I was like, well, you know, there's there's a bunch of kids going around hanging out being awkward on one side, of the dudes on the other side.
Speaker 5: Last I checked, kids can get into a lot of trouble with not a lot of effort.
Speaker 6: Look that, look that that is true, because when I was thirteen, Lord have mercy. But but she also knows the consequences of getting into any Shenanigans. So she we trust her because she knows who her dad is. She knows that I'm not really with the Shenanigans. So yeah, kids up to thirteen don't trick or treat. That's what they do.
Speaker 3: Do they go in the neighborhood or do they go to a trick or treat trick or treating preordained spot or there's hot spots, you know the hotspots.
Speaker 6: Places they give you the big chocolate bars, not the little here's three or four tweeks.
Speaker 5: No, the big stuff.
Speaker 6: And so like you know, we would go to the valley, way deep in the valley where they got the good stuff.
Speaker 5: You have to scope it out. Parents.
Speaker 6: We know right, we know where the good neighborhoods are. They're gonna get get filled up. And what me and my cokee Aaron do is we buy all the candy because they know way where Let the kids eat any of this stuff when they bring it home. No, I don't trust anyone they're dipping it in, you know, drugs and still putting razors and apples. I believe that right, So no, like I like, we say, hey, you got a nice giant chocolate bar, Well that's a dollar, and then it goes down from there.
Speaker 5: They walk away about.
Speaker 6: Like fifty sixty dollars after Halloween, justus buying candy back.
Speaker 3: Oh you like getting guns off the streets and everything. Yeah, a buyback we're doing. I encourage every baron to do that. The drugs are real out there on the streets.
Speaker 6: You don't want your kid getting all hoppy and tweaky out there on a chocolate bar.
Speaker 5: No, No, that took a dark turn to say.
Speaker 3: Look, when we come back, we're going to meet Ron Ross of Wendy's, who's responsible for this wonderful spread.
Speaker 5: So put your hands together. It is Later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 3: The Halloween Annual Halloween Special on camp I AM six forty. We're live everywhere the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty camf.
Speaker 3: I AM six forty.
Speaker 5: It's a Lady with moo Kelly.
Speaker 3: Halloween Halloween on CAMFI AM six forty where we're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app as we continue our Halloween swar ray. And joining me right now of Wendy's is Ron Ross, who has been so kind and so generous with this bread that you brought for us tonight. So first, let me put my hands together for you, Ron, for making this happen. You've gone over and above you. We explained what we wanted to do, what we hope to do, and you said, no, no, no, no, no, I got something better. I got this great idea.
Speaker 5: So what made you want to be a part of this event?
Speaker 8: What your guy had me? And he had my arm around my back and he kept squeezing and squeezing.
Speaker 3: All right, I give I'll do it.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 8: We enjoy our relationship with iHeartRadio. We work together on Katrina's Club and raise a decent amount of money which is a great charity. So you guys do a lot of good things and we want to be there with you.
Speaker 3: When you said okay, we got to do something special for later with Moe Kelly, did what did you end up doing for those who missed out and could not enjoy all the festivities?
Speaker 8: Well, what we wanted to do is actually bring our grills and cook here. But the building's insurance requirements were just a little steep.
Speaker 5: Weren't they so mean?
Speaker 8: I couldn't believe that, you know, I watch those guys with sharp pencils in their pocket. So anyway, we cooked at the local restaurant and we brought it over, and we brought some good frosties with us. Did some innovation for you, some different colors that Wendy's doesn't really know about. We won't tell them.
Speaker 5: We won't tell them, but no one's listening.
Speaker 3: It's just you'll be exactly what made you want to get into this business? Was it the customer service aspect? Helping people?
Speaker 8: What about it? It's funny. Forty forty five, forty eight years ago, I started with my brother in the pizza business, and I just got hooked on. At that time, it was serving pizzas as fast as you could. We had sandwiches, and I just fell in love with it. And then it never worked for your brother, by the way, he ended up firing me. So I needed a job. So I went to work for Wendy's because at the time that we went there on Fridays, because it's the only time we could afford it, and that was special for us. So I knew it was something I could stand behind the counter and be proud to serve because the food's that good.
Speaker 3: How has the industry changed in the intervening forty or so years when you started, I'm quite sure it's nothing like what you may look at and see today.
Speaker 8: You know, we have money coming in from so many different places. I mean, it's door Dash, it's grub Hub, it's uber eats, the kiosks now in the dining room. I mean, it's it's changed dramatically some ways, it's still the same. It's still fresh beef, never frozen, served square hamburgers because we don't cut corners, and that part's changed.
Speaker 5: You can't see what he did there.
Speaker 8: But you know we sell salads now, which we didn't used to do when I started. We didn't have potatoes. We have potatoes now. So uh. But it's really, uh, it's a people business. Really what you're into too. You know, you're you're into a people business. That's the same way with us. If we treat them right and we serve them the food we're capable of, they'll come back.
Speaker 3: What is it now, that's maybe different working inside of a fast food establishment. It seems like I've never worked fast food, and I know that it can be one of the most difficult jobs for anyone to do.
Speaker 5: Is that still the case?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 8: You know, I think it's a training ground, honestly. I mean there's we we have a lot of young people come in. They learn how to tell us what they're going to work, to be on time, leave on time, follow certain rules. I mean, yeah, it's work. I mean, you know, I don't I don't know that anybody it's got in the head that hasn't worked reasonably hard in their life, you know. I mean most people don't, you know, get to the top without any good reason. So I think it's a good training ground. It gets a lot. I mean it was. It's kind of funny because I used to have a license plate that said Burger Flipper, and normally, you know, the people that have no idea, you know, they say, well you flip burgers. You know, Well that's kind of a joke, you know. I mean, it's it's a it's a knucklehead job, you know. But I love it. I mean I really like it. And if you anybody that gets into it and finds out how you know. Dave Thomas used to say, it's a very easy business. It's spread to mannaate, spread to pickles, you know, put the right amount of onions on it, got a great hamburger. So it's it's very The rules are there, you follow them. You can do very well. But it's it's a great place. And now I mean with California. You know minimum wage that's forty thousand dollars a year. You know for somebody that has no skills and comes in off the street. You know, if they stay with us, they make more money. So it's you know, I get offended. And when COVID came, I don't really like to talk about COVID because it irritates me so much. All of a sudden, I became essential. So I heard it on the radio. I'm driving home. I told my wife said.
Speaker 3: Guess what.
Speaker 8: Guess what. I'm essential. I'm a burger flipper and I'm essential, you know, ocause we were allowed to stay open and we did very well.
Speaker 3: Speaking of staying open and doing very well, how many restaurants locations are under your responsibility or ownership?
Speaker 8: I owned four in La County?
Speaker 5: Where are they? So we can make sure that people can support you.
Speaker 8: Well support any of them. But if you want to go to South Kate, uh, Pig Rivera, Woodland Hills or Monrovia, that that allow that.
Speaker 5: Works too, all right?
Speaker 8: You know because there's two other franchises in the back and they have another forty five forty five restaurants around the city.
Speaker 5: So what is Ed Garrigos like?
Speaker 8: Uh, he's a knucklehead. I say that because he's not in a room, right, but he might hear this. He's a great guy. We talked quite a bit on the phone. Well we'll run ideas by each other. I mean we were. He called me today and he said, Ron, why didn't we do Dodger Blue Frosty's for the World Series? And I'm thinking, man, why don't we think of that stuff? But you know, some we get busy and the marketing people at Wendy's don't think about it because they're in Columbus, Ohio. But uh, that would have been awesome, you know, to serve Dodger Blue Frosty's for a week or so.
Speaker 3: Well, along those lines, what are you featuring right now at your restaurant and others? What is it that when I go to Wendy's next. Did I just need to try or sample.
Speaker 8: Uh breakfast? Try our breakfast burrito right, it is really good and filling. We're about to come out with a bacon mushroom burger that we we trained on today and it is really good. I'm not a big mushroom fan, but on that hamburger, it really comes out nice. With three strips of apple wood smoke bacon. Oh yummy. We're gonna do a caramel salted Frosty coming in so my special guest.
Speaker 5: Frosty.
Speaker 8: I've I've had it and it's I mean, we come up with some pretty good flavors, but this one's really good. It's yummy. So we're you know, we're coming out with some different stuff. We'll do some our spicy chickens coming out. We've had it for quite a while, but we're finally going to put it back on TV and see if we can sell a.
Speaker 5: Few more people at home.
Speaker 3: Can't see this, but you also came bearing some gifts that we're going to give.
Speaker 5: Away to our in studio audience. Can you help us out with that?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 3: Put your hands together for Ron Ross and all the great things he's doing at Wendy's there.
Speaker 1: And also here you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty I.
Speaker 3: AM six forties Later with bo Kelly the Halloween Special. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And it's my pleasure to not even introduce, just say hello again to a friend, a colleague, I would say, a confidant, a radio professional who's done far more for far longer in this business than I have.
Speaker 5: The Nautica Dela Cruise. Put your hands.
Speaker 3: Together for Daybickure.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much. It is so wonderful to see so many beautiful faces here, and thank you to some of you who They were talking about my head and gems and discover so cal And someone said, you know, I want to be a little bit more like you, to discover a little bit more of you know, southern California. And I was like, well, you know that's what divorce does. It makes you go out and explore.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: Wow, that took a different turn. I wasn't expecting that answer.
Speaker 7: Hey, you know what, it's Tony twenty four. We got to keep it real.
Speaker 3: Nowadays, I am encouraged and inspired by you because I before I even got into radio. I had been listening to you. Just tell people the different radio stations that you've been on, just in LA.
Speaker 7: In Los Angeles. I started off very very young. I always say I started at Powa one o six when I was twelve, Wink wink. So I worked at Power one oh six for about three years, and then I went to one hundred point three The Beat, but it was ninety two point three The Beat, and then about nine months later it became one hundred point three the Beat. It was sold. I was there for about seven years.
Speaker 5: You were part of Harvey's Angels working with him.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, I was one of Steve Harvey's angels. It was Steve Harvey and the Angels. I was Shirley's Strawberry, Dominique Suprima and myself.
Speaker 3: So you were at the very beginning of Steve Harvey before he became the Steve Harvey that we all see and know now that he was on Family Feud and everything. Before all of that, he had started in LA with just a local radio show that eventually became syndicated.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'll actually tell you a little secret of a story. So when when when I was there at the Beat, I used to work with Ed Lover and Doctor dre If anybody remembers go MTV raps, you know.
Speaker 3: The funny thing.
Speaker 7: Was I I used to watch them when I would come home from school, and I'd be like, oh, that's my show. I lived in New York at that time, and then it was one of my dreams I got to work with them. So they were uh, you know, they were given their exit papers. And then Radio one, Miss MS Hughes, was interested in Steve Harvey, and so I became his co host for maybe about less than a year. But it wasn't that he didn't like me. It was it was I was more, I was young, so he wanted someone that was more more not season but more adult that kind of understood his, you know, his demeanor in a way. So we brought Shirley Strawberry back and then he got We got Dominiqueaprima to do the news Who's Wonderful, And then about a year later I became his producer. So I put on the producer hat for Steve Harvey and that was a struggle, but let me tell you, my paycheck was nice at the end, because I love Steve Harvey. We've been friends for twenty plus years, but it's you know, when he's on, he's on, and when he's off, he's off.
Speaker 1: But I wanted to experience.
Speaker 3: I want you to tell that story because one, you never know where life in this business will will take us.
Speaker 5: Individually and collectively. And also, you never know who's listening.
Speaker 3: And when I have you on on Friday nights and you talk about where you're venturing around SoCal or the hidden Gems, I hear from people, You hear from people, and it's always a positive and constant reminder. You never know who is listening. You never know who you might be touching, who you might be reachy. How has your been experience been. Has it been similar to that?
Speaker 7: It's been wonderful. You know, I get messages, whether it's on Instagram or LinkedIn, and it's nice to say, hey, I want to I donate it to this organization that you mentioned last.
Speaker 8: Week or prior.
Speaker 7: And then you know, you always put the show on the podcast too, so it's it's nice to get that feedback from people to go, hey, I donated to this organization or I went to where you said, you know, the Japanese Garden or somewhere in Santa Barbara. Had never been to the Santa Barbara Zoo. Some people don't even know there was a zoo in Santa Barbara, So you don't know, you know, and you too, even when I've been with you, you're like, I didn't even know I was there, So you know, that's that's the best thing about having a little bit of freedom, wink wink, is that you get to just get up and explore the world. And that's what we're here for, is to explore. I know, I understand that we need to work and make a living, but there's so much more to life.
Speaker 3: When all of a sudden that you've been in this business far longer than I have. I started, like you said, when you were twelve. What do you want them to say about your time in this business?
Speaker 7: You know, I just want them to say that Nautica always did her job diligently, with a smile, with passion, and that's kind of you know. I didn't get into radio because I didn't I never thought I had a good voice. But I will tell you this, television was my first love. And so when I did an internship at kron in San Francisco, you know I was the coffee girl, and I was like, oh, hell's no, I.
Speaker 3: Am way more than a coffee girl.
Speaker 7: And then I thought, well, wait a minute. If I can't do television, I could do radio. It's just a difference. I speak into a microphone regardless, I just don't have a tube in front of me. So I just want them to remember me as you know what. She was, the funny girl who was also like you, born with some humor and some sas.
Speaker 3: I don't have some sas, but you.
Speaker 7: Know, just I made I made them just feel loved every single day when they heard me on the radio.
Speaker 5: What's next for you?
Speaker 7: Well, cross my fingers. Maybe something more permanent at iHeartRadio and then some more television.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, thank you, Yes, thank you.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you're ready for my sass, you know, but if Moe could take it, you could take it to right.
Speaker 3: Now. Are you at the point where you consider yourself an actual Angelino?
Speaker 5: How long have you been out here in Los Angeles altogether?
Speaker 3: You just like to test sure too?
Speaker 7: Yes, I was just talking a homeboy over there with the La Dodger hat Ooh you like to test me? Okay, I'm gonna say this. I'm gonna put this on the table for everybody who's here. I'm a girl from Brooklyn, New York. My heart, my heart is in New York, but my home is Los Angeles, and it's been my home for almost thirty years. So I love La.
Speaker 3: La has been good to me. West Coast is the best coast.
Speaker 7: All right, high five on you, my brother.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 7: I do love Los Angeles and it's it's it's really beautiful. I you know, sometimes people go, would you go back? Oh, hex no, you would have to pay me, you know, six digits, high six digits in order to you know, be their winter. Winter is too long. And and summer is you know, ten seconds. Spring is six seconds, and summer is two seconds. So I love the weather and and I love the people in Los Angeles and and everybody here is is not as you know, running in fast paced as New.
Speaker 5: York is very quickly.
Speaker 3: Whenever I have you come on, I think it's important that people can find you beyond here and they can listen to you on frequent she tell us real quick.
Speaker 7: Oh yes, so I have a podcast. I'm in my third year with my co host Amy Lopez and she's a baseball mom and the podcast is only twenty minutes. It's called the Frequent She Podcast fr e qu e n s h E because radio is in frequency. But there's two girls, so we're frequent cheese.
Speaker 3: I'll say two women, but you know two women.
Speaker 7: Yes, So you can catch us on iHeart No, I'm sorry. You could catch us on Spotify. We're trying to get on iHeart, and you could also catch us on iTunes, and we talk a little bit about everything, relationships, being a mom, you know, current news. It's really funny. You know, you'll see a different side of me and I may you know, drop a you know, an F bomb here and there.
Speaker 5: Oh, you can cuss with the best of them. Let's be clear.
Speaker 3: Yes, I care.
Speaker 5: You are a talented cussing well.
Speaker 7: You know that's why I do love Terrestrial Radio two because it keeps me grounded and focused.
Speaker 5: Put your hands together for Nautica Da La Cruz. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 3: We got one hour down of the Halloween Soiree. More when we come back. It's later with Mo Kelly caf I Am six forty. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty