Speaker 1: This episode maintained content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Shannon. Hi I'm Tanya, and we are Crimes and Consequences, a hardcore true crime podcast. Hey Shannon, Hey Tanya, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing all right.
Speaker 2: How are you? I'm doing very very well. Thank you, considering, considering, it could be so much worse as we I mean, my goodness. You know, I remember one time, here's here's a bit of information, maybe a little two truths and a lie, you know. But I'll just tell you what the you know, what I think of what I say, stuff like, oh, could be worse. Anybody ever been in a psych ward? I have, So when I say it, I always I just think of any kind of time I was, you know, a moment when I was in there, and I'll be like.
Speaker 3: You were on the inside when I was on the looking out.
Speaker 1: I mean, it could be worse.
Speaker 2: You're right, but yeah, I cannot complain. Everybody's good here, and everybody's looking for the weekend. Brooke is so excited. She works all week and then she has her weekends off.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm when as a new mom, she's like, Oh, I am taking the biggest nap.
Speaker 3: Snaps really are the fucking best.
Speaker 2: Heyre, Now how about you, what's you up to? Well? Catch up?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Today was my almost second to last day at my job because the holiday is coming and I took time off and I just have one more work day where I have to be in the office or actually have to do anything.
Speaker 2: So it's a little bittersweet.
Speaker 3: My friends that I work with, the people that I worked with, had to say kind of goodbye to them today, even though like we've promised to make plans to, you know, get together because I don't live far away from where the workplace.
Speaker 1: Is and we'll get together, and but it was kind of sad.
Speaker 3: It was a little bittersweet because I am excited to start my new job and new adventure.
Speaker 2: But I really grew to like these women, and you know, they were just.
Speaker 3: Really funny and fun and everything, and they made the job pleasurable.
Speaker 2: So nice, what a compliment. Yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 1: To move on, I know, and I hate change.
Speaker 3: Probably why I've lived in the same house for almost thirty years. It's been married to the same man for thirty years hand jobs where I, like, you know, decades at the same job.
Speaker 1: Changes hard for me.
Speaker 2: But it's good and you're just so darn likable. I know that everybody you will be missing. Oh please, then thank you. I'll love you right back. But it's true. You are so extremely sweet and like girl, and I say that with so much love and a compliment. I love it. I love you back. But I do have a story, all right, story. I'm excited me too. This is a very very good one, and it's very recent as well. It's recent as of this year, so woo to dive in. But before I dive in, I'm going to invite everybody who's listening to go ahead and hit subscribe and follow, and you'll never miss us. So now, Tanya, there's a certain kind of horror that doesn't kick the door in. It knocks. It arrives wearing something ordinary, an invitation, a familiar driveway, a midday meal you'd never think twice about it, the kind of lunch that's supposed to mean peace, a reset, a family truce, and then days later doctors are using words like liver failure, transplant not survivable. On Saturday, July twenty ninth, twenty twenty three, in Leanngatha, Victoria, Australia, a woman named Aaron Patterson served lunch at her home individual beef Wellington's rich anxiety, very decadent and almost celebratory. This is the death cap mushroom murders story, and this is what happened inside that house in le Agatha, before the first ambulance, before the first lie, and before anyone could understand what a beef Wellington and can hide. All right, let me give you a little background. So to understand how a lunch in a small Victorian town turned into an international headline, we have to back up way before the beef Wellington, before the hospital admissions, before the word death cap became shorthand for a kind of domestic terror, Because cases like this don't usually ignite out of nowhere. They smolder. And in Leangtha, the story doesn't start with a mushroom, starts with a woman and the slow, messy physics of the family splitting in half. Aaron Patterson The normal life on paper Aaron Trudy Patterson born September thirtieth, nineteen seventy four. Ergo, nope, nope, libra libra. We got a libra on our hands. She grew up in Melbourne in southeast in glen Waverley. Her early life reads like the kind of biography that's supposed to signal stability. University career training a technical job. She studied at the University of Melbourne, began in science, later shifting to accounting, and eventually trained as an air traffic controller, graduating in two thousand and one. She worked for Air Services Australia and Melbourne, but not for long. By the early two thousands, she'd moved into an animal management work connected to the RSPCA based out of the City of Manash Council Environment and it was in that orbit Manash Council work that she met Simon Patterson, the man she would marry marriage money in the shape of obligation. They married in two thousand and seven, and as the marriage took root, another factor entered the story. Money. Reporting aired during the trial described an inheritance of about two million Australian that Aaron received from her grandmother paid over time. You know, yearly? Did she get a yearly amount?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: To a family. Money can be oxygen or gasoline. It can build safety, it can create expectation, and it can turn ordinary decisions into long term grudges. Aaron and Simon's life moved around Western Australia for a time, then back to Victoria, closer to Simon's parents, Don and Gail. They had two children and they raised them in the messy reality most families recognize routines, compromises, fatigue, and the unglamorous grind of staying together. Except by multiple accounts aired in court coverage, the relationship began to strain after their first child was born, then stretched further with separations and attempts to regroup. Eventually the split became a long term reality. The in laws closeness, then distance. Now here's where the story gets deceptively human, because this wasn't a family that lived in permanent open warfare. The public records describes stretches of functional normalcy, shared custody, moments of friendliness, even the attempt to keep things civil. But over time, especially in the two years leading into July twenty twenty three, relationships fred court reporting describes growing estrangement between Aaron and Simon's family, misgatherings, shortened appearances, the kind of social distance that becomes its own language. There were also claims aired in later reporting that conflict sharpened around finances and status, particularly around government and tax settings, fueling resentment and suspicion on both sides. Apparently one year Simon had claimed himself as single, which made Aaron unable to collect benefits for the children. Oh okay, somehow tax laws in Australia. So that put quite a bit of contention, you know, as it can for sure, And in cases like this, resentment doesn't always show up as screaming matches. Sometimes it shows up as silence, as late invitations, as group chats you're not in and will sees that never become yes's. Ian and Heather Wilkinson, family and faith. Two of the people who would later sit at Aaron's table had their own deep time to community life. Ian Wilkinson, the only lunch guest to survive was a Baptist pastor and his wife, Heather was Gail Patterson's sister. So this wasn't just family. Aaron attended the church when they were together. This is family braided with church community, long acquaintance, shared circles and familiar faces, and that matters because when something horrific happens in that kind of web everyone feels it, not as an abstract tragedy, as a rupture in the town's daily life. The invitation and what it signaled. By the time Aaron Patterson extended the invitation for lunch on July twenty ninth, twenty twenty three, the family dynamic was already brittle. An invitation like that can mean a lot of things. It can be an olive branch, a reset button, a performance of goodwill, or, as prosecutors later argued, if you accept their theory, it can be the stage setting for something planned. And this is where we need to be clear. At the trial, the Crown emphasized alleged deception, claims that Aaron used false pretenses to get the guests into her home, and she concealed key details about preparation, her health, narrative, and what she did after. The defense conceded some lies, especially around a dehydrator, but framed the core event as a terrible accident followed by panic. That tug of war premeditation versus catastrophe, becomes the spine of everything that follows, because once you accept the lunch invitation, you're not just walking into a house. You're walking into the context, history, resentment, obligation, wounded pride, money, messages left on sent and a family trying to pretend the ground isn't moving under their feet. And on July twenty ninth, the ground moved. She had invited them under the pretense she had cancer and she was baking. Yes, she wanted her close loved ones to know the medal. This is diabolical, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Ugh?
Speaker 2: The invitation was unremarkable, at least on its face. A family lunch, a Saturday afternoon, nothing ceremonial, nothing lavishly announced. Just July twenty ninth, twenty twenty three in le Agatha, a quiet town where people tend to know each other's cars, routines and business. And that's important because crimes like this don't need spectacle, they need familiarity. Who was invited and who wasn't. Aaron Patterson invited Don and Gail Patterson, her estranged husband's peers pants, her ex in laws. She also invited Heather Wilkinson, Gail's sister, and Heather's husband, Ian Wilkinson, the Baptist pastor. Her estranged husband, Simon was also invited. He didn't come. That absence would matter later because In a case where intent is everything, who eats and who doesn't becomes evidence. Aaron later said her two children were not present, having gone out to the cinema. Again ordinary on the surface, but prosecutors would later argue that this detail wasn't incidental. The meal controlled individual, deliberate. Aaron didn't serve something casual, not takeaway, not a shared pot. She prepared individual beef Wellington's, a dish that requires planning, precision, and timing. Each portion was its own unit. Beef, mushroom, duxels, pastry, assembled, wrapped, baked. It wasn't help yourself. It was plated, and that matters because individual portions mean control, control over what goes where, control over quantities, control over who gets what. At the trial, the Crown would later suggest that Aaron did not eat the same meal as her guests. Survivor Ian Wilkinson testify that Aaron used a different colored plate from the guests, a detailed the defense later dismissed as insignificant, but in poisoning cases, nothing is insignificant. Laboratory testing would later confirm the presence of Aminita filoida's death cap mushroom toxins in the beef Wellington leftovers. Death caps are not subtle. They are responsible for the majority of mushroom related deaths worldwide. They're toxins. Amatoxins attacked the liver with the delay that makes early symptoms deceptively mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, then hours later organ failure, which makes timing crucial after the meal, the delay that kills after lunch. Nothing dramatic happened immediately. No one collapsed at the table, no frantic calls, no early warning signs that screamed poison. But the next day, however, all four guests were critically ill. Doctors initially suspected gastro enteritis, a reasonable assumption given the symptoms, but as test results came in that theory collapsed. The diagnosis shifted to severe liver failure, consistent with death carep poisoning. Three of the four guests would die within six days. One Ian Wilkinson, would survive after more than seven weeks in the hospital. Wow, I mean this is this is a nasty toxin. Yeah, six days.
Speaker 3: It takes six days to die from it.
Speaker 2: Six days and you don't think that it's you know, I thinking you're experiencing acute liver failure.
Speaker 4: Right, so seven weeks to survive it. Holy shit, it's crazy Aaron Patterson's own illness or performance now. Aaron Patterson also presented Tillian gotha hospital, reporting stomach pain and diarrhea, but she refused admission multiple times. Doctors were concerned enough.
Speaker 2: That they contacted police, an unusual step unless something feels off, and when concerns were raised about the children who reportedly ate leftovers with the mushrooms removed, health staff testified that Aaron was reluctant to have them tested, and that reluctance would later be dissected in court, not as proof by itself, but as part of a pattern early red flags only visible later. At the time, none of this looked like murder. It looked like a tragic food poisoning, a horrible coincidence, a family catastrophe. But in hindsight, every poisoning case has a moment like this. The red flags rearranged themselves. Who cooked, who ate, who didn't, who got sick, how sick, who stayed in the hospital, who walked out? Who controlled the narrative? In the first forty eight hours and by August fourth and fifth, when Gail Heather and Don Patterson were Victoria police were no longer treating this as an accident the investigation. Once three people were dead and a fourth was clinging to life, this stopped being a medical mystery. It became a homicide investigation. And Victoria police weren't looking for chaos, they were looking for process because poison leaves patterns from tragic lunch to active homicide inquiry. By August fifth, twenty twenty three, with Don Patterson's death, even after a liver transplant, investigators, yes, that's how invasive and horrible. Investigators formally shifted posture. And this wasn't food poisoning anymore. It was a fatal exposure to a highly specific toxin and death cap Mushrooms don't wander into meals by accidents. They must be found and hand and prepared and critically introduced Aaron Patterson's statement to police. On August fourteenth, Aaron Patterson provided police with a detailed statement. She told investigators she had purchased dried mushrooms from an Asian grocery store in Mount Waverley, nearly one hundred and twenty kilometers from her home, several months earlier and at the time that explanation gave police something to test, and so they did, and that story didn't hold. The dehydrator a quiet pivot point. Investigators soon zeroed in on a seemingly mundane appliance, a food dehydrator. At first, Aaron Patterson told police she didn't own one. That claim quickly unraveled. Police recovered a dehydrator from a skip bin at the Kunwara transfer station, discarded after the lunch CCTV footage shows Aaron Patterson dumping it there, and inside that dehydrator, forensic testing found Aaron Patterson's fingerprints and traces of Amanita Filloyd's toxins. The same toxins were later detected in the urine samples of the poisoned guests. At that point, investigators weren't dealing with circumstantial coincidence. They were dealing with physical linkage foraging searches and geographic overlap. Police also examined Patterson's movements in the months leading up to the launch. The Crown would later present evidence of trips to Locke and Outram, areas known to host death cat mushroom habitats. Digital forensic analysis showed online activity related to death cat mushrooms, including access to the platform I Naturalists, a site commonly used to identify fungi. Patterson denied intentional research, describing it as idle curiosity. Prosecutors weren't persuaded digital evidence in what was done after the lunch. Investigators didn't just focus on what happened before July twenty ninth. They focused on what happened after police alleged that Patterson factory reset her mobile phone multiple times in August of twenty twenty three. The Crown argued this was an attempt to conceal evidence a digital cleanup following the poisoning. The defense countered that resets were innocent or unrelated, but again, investigators weren't evaluating any one act in isolation. They were building a sequence. The children and the doctor's concern. Medical staff testified that they were alarmed by Patterson's resistance stance of having her children tested, despite concerns that they may have eaten leftovers. Doctors were so concerned about Patterson's own refusal of admission that police were contacted directly to investigators. This wasn't proof of guilt, but it was behavioral data and behavior especially under pressure can reveal intent. The story keeps changing as the investigation progressed. Patterson's explanations shifted. First, she never owned a dehydrator, Then she had, but panicked and disposed of it. First, the mushrooms weren't store bought, then foraged, but mixed up. First, her illness mirrored her guests, Then medical experts questioned whether she consumed the same food at all. Each inconsistency tightened the focus because lies don't always prove guilt, but patterns of lies can suggest knowledge. Arrest and the long road to trial. On November two, twenty twenty three, Aaron Patterson was arrested and charged with three counts of murder and five counts of attempted murder, including charges related to her estranged husband. Some charges would be later dropped, others would harden. By the time this case reached trial, police weren't asking whether death caps caused the deaths that was settled. They were asking something far more dangerous. Did Aaron Patterson knowingly prepare those mushrooms, deliberately serve them, and then try to erase the evidence when people began to die the trial. By the time Aaron Patterson's trial began. The story was already global, but inside the Supreme Court of Victoria, sitting in more Well, the task wasn't to satisfy the world's curiosity. It was narrower, colder. Did the evidence prove beyond reasonable doubt that this was murder? Setting the stage. The trial commenced on April twenty ninth, twenty twenty five, presided over by Justice Christopher Beale at Patterson's request. It was held in regional more Well, not Melbourne, an unusual but strategic choice, one that placed the proceedings closer to the community most directly affected. A jury was and pianoed reserved, jurors were sealed, and for weeks the court would sift through a case that hinged not on violence but on intention. Because no one disputed the cause of death, the fight was over why it happened. The Crown's case control preparation, deception. From the outset, the prosecution made its position clear. This was not an accident, it was not carelessness, and it was not a tragic misunderstanding. Crown Prosecutor Nanette Rogers told the jury this case was about deliberate preparation followed by a sustained cover up. The Crown focused early and often on the food dehydrator. Jurors were shown photographs, social media posts and receipts posts where Patterson appeared to proudly display dehydrated mushrooms, evidence that directly contradicted her initial claim to police that she never owned such a device. And then came the footage, the CCT footage of Patterson discarding the dehydrator at the Kunwara transfer station after lunch, after people had begun falling gravely ill. To the Crown, this wasn't panic, it was consciousness of guilt. Prosecutors also laid out a timeline of foraging trips drives to areas known for death cap mushrooms. They presented digital forensic evidence showing online activity related to mushroom identification. They argued Patterson repeatedly lied about owning the dehydrator, about foraging, about the source of the mushrooms, about her own illness, and about a cancer diagnosis she never had. The Crown suggested the cancer story wasn't just a lie, it was a pretext used to secure the lunch invitation and ensure the children weren't present, and critically, Prosecutors argued that Patterson did not eat the same meal as her guests. If she had, they asked, where was the liver failure? Witnesses for the prosecution. The Crown called a long list of witnesses, among them Simon Patterson, the estranged husband, Ian Wilkinson, the sole survivor, Medical professionals who treated the victims, child protection and welfare workers, digital forensic experts, mycologists, and toxicologists. Experts testified about how Amanita Filoda's works, how its toxins survive cooking, how dehydration concentrates lethality, how symptoms can be delayed just long enough to mask the danger. Jurors heard that the victims' illnesses were described by doctors as quote unquote, not survivable once the damage progressed. Ian Wilkinson testified about the lunch itself, the plates, the serving order, the aftermath. He spoke quietly, deliberately, a man who lived but lost his wife. The defense accident, shame, panic. The defense did not dispute the science. They did not dispute that death cat mushrooms caused the deaths. Instead, Colin Mandy, counsel for Patterson, asked the jury to consider something else, entirely human error. He acknowledged patterson life to police, to doctors, to family, but he argued people lie for reasons that have nothing to do with murder. They lie for shame, for fear or panic. Mandy conceded that Patterson fabricated the cancer diagnosis, but framed it as embarrassment over a planned gastric bypass surgery, not a murderous ruse. I'm gonna tell you I cancer, but I'm guarding the secret of my gastric bypass surgery. Come on, are you hearing your words? He told the jury. Aaron Patterson loved her children, loved her in laws, and had no reason to kill them. The defense position was simple, if devastating. This was a terrible accident, a labeling mistake involving forged mushrooms, and everything that follows was a frightened woman trying to outrun blame. The defense called one witness, Aaron Patterson. She testified for days. She admitted foraging for mushrooms, admitted lying about the dehydrator, admitted lying about the medical appointments and diagnoses, but she denied intent. She denied cultivating death caps, denied measuring doses, denied deliberately serving poison She said she vomited after lunch, that she suffered diarrhea, that she panicked when people became ill, and lied because she was afraid. Under cross examination, the Crown pressed hard about searches, about deleted data, about inconsistencies that piled up like sediment, and when asked why her story kept changing, there was no clean answer what the jury was left with. By the time closing arguments approached, the jury wasn't deciding whether mushrooms killed three people. They were deciding whether Aaron Patterson knew exactly what she was doing. The Crown told them this was a methodical poisoning, planned, executed concealed. The defense told them this was tragedy layered with fear, and that suspicion was not proof. And between those two narratives sat twelve jurors tasked with deciding which version fit the evidence, in which required too many coincidences to believe the verdict. By the time the jury was sent out, there was nothing left to say. No more witnesses, no more theories, no more carefully chosen words, only evidence, and twelve people tasked with deciding what it meant. Deliberation, The long quiet after the noise After reserve jurors were excused, the remaining twelve were sequestered for deliberations. They had heard weeks of testimony from doctors who described irreversible liver failure, from scientists who explained how death capped toxins work, from police who traced movements and devices and disposal, from a survivor who lived and lost his wife, and from Aaron Patterson herself. They were instructed again and again to separate suspicion from proof, and emotion from intent. This was not about whether the deaths were tragic. That was undeniable. This was about whether the Crown had proven beyond reasonable doubt that Aaron Patterson knowingly poisoned her guests. July seventh, twenty twenty five. On July seventh, twenty twenty five, the jury returned to the courtroom. No gasps, no dramatics, just the reading of verdicts that would permanently reshape several families in one small town. Aaron Patterson was found guilty of three counts of murder, one count of attempted murder relating to survivor Ian Wilkinson. The verdict rejected the defense's central claim that this was a tragic accident. It accepted the prosecution's argument that this was deliberate. After the verdict control consequences containment. The decision didn't close the case. It triggered the next phase. On July thirtieth, twenty twenty five, the Supreme Court of Victoria bard Patterson from selling her Leanngatha home, preserving assets for potential compensation or restitution claims. Behind the scenes, legal teams regrouped, families prepared victim impact statements. Media attention surged again. But inside the system, the question shifted not did she do it? But how should she pay for it? A verdict that doesn't a verdict that didn't bring peace. Verdicts are supposed to end things, but in cases like this, where the crime was intimate, slow, and lethal by design, they rarely do. Because the jury didn't just say Aaron Patterson was guilty. They said the deaths of Don Patterson, Gail Patterson, and Heather Wilkinson were not the result of chance, carelessness, or confusion. They were the result of choice, and the weight of that conclusion would echo loudest of all at sentencing, sentencing and impact. A verdict tells you what the jury believed sentencing tells you what it costs. On August twenty fifth, twenty twenty five, the courtroom reconvened, not for argument and not for evidence, but for the people left behind to speak. This was no longer about Aaron Patterson's intent. This was about the impact of what the jury said she did. Victim impact statements, the damage that doesn't heal. Family members of Don Patterson gave l Patterson and Heather Wilkinson stood before the court and described what life looked like now. They spoke about ordinary absences, empty cheers at family tables, grandchildren growing up without grandparents, holidays that had become reminders instead of celebrations. One statement described the deaths not as a moment, but as a slow erasure, relationships undone day by day as griefs settled into routine. Another described the horror of realizing that trust itself, family trust, had been weaponized. The most devastating testimony came from the only survivor, Ian Wilkinson, who lived but lost his wife. He told the court that survival had not felt like victory, that he felt, in his words, half alive without Heather. His was the voice of someone forced to keep going while carrying the knowledge that the meal he ate killed the person beside him. The prosecution's position at sentencing. Prosecutors asked the court to impose the harshest possible penalty. They described the crimes as calculated, deceptive, and uniquely destructive because of their setting inside a home among family under the guise of reconciliation. They emphasized the planning involved, the sustained deception afterward and this absence of remorse acknowledged by the jury's verdict. This, they argued, was not a momentary lapse, it was a murder committed slowly and then hidden. The defense mitigation without denial. The defense did not re argue innocence that door had closed. Instead, they asked the court to consider Patterson's lack of prior violent offending, her role as a mother, and the argument still maintained that she did not wake up intending to destroy her family. But sentencing is not about alternative realities. It is about accountability. Justice Christopher Beale speaks. On September eighth, twenty twenty five, Justice Christopher Beale delivered his sentence. His remarks were measured and unsparing. He described the crimes as a gross breach of trust, emphasizing that the victims had no reason to suspect danger inside Aaron Patterson's home. He noted the deliberate nature of the acts, the careful preparation, and the lies that followed. He spoke directly to the reality that poisoning is not quick, and that the victims endured days of suffering fear and medical trauma before dying. Justice Beale rejes the notion that this was impulsive or accidental. He said in substance that the court could not overlook the calculated steps required to source, prepare, and deliver a lethal toxin, nor the efforts made to distance herself from its effects. The sentence, Aaron Patterson was sentenced to life imprisonment on each of the three murder counts, plus twenty five years for the attempted murder of Ian Wilkinson to be served. Concurrently, she was given a non parole period of thirty three years. She will not be eligible for parole until twenty fifty six. It was the first sentencing hearing in Victoria to be broadcast live, a reflection of the case's gravity and its grip on public attention. After the gavel after sentencing Aaron Patterson and was returned to custody at Dame Phillis Frost's Center. Outside the courtroom, families face to reality no sentence can undo. Inside the justice system, the case moved almost immediately into its next phase. Because even life sentences don't always end a story. The impact beyond the courtroom. This case didn't just devastate one family. It unsettled something broader. It forced the public to confront how violence can exist without raised voices, without visible rage, how it can arrive disguised as hospitality. And it left behind a question that lingers far beyond Leangatha. What does justice look like when the crime was dinner and the weapon was trust? The aftermath and broader implications. For most criminal cases, sentence is the end of the road. For this one, it's only a bend because the moment the gavel fell, the story widened out of the courtroom into appeals, courts, newsrooms, living rooms, and a global true crime ecosystem that couldn't look away the appeals when final isn't final. Within weeks of sentencing, Aaron Patterson's legal teams signaled their next move. A notice of appeal was announced, challenging the guilty verdicts. Grounds were not immediately detailed, but the implication was clear. The defense intended to relitigate questions of intent, evidence handling, and jury interpretation. At the same time, the Victorian Director of Public Prosecutions took the rare step of announcing an appeal of the sentence itself, calling it manifestly inadequate. So, in an unusual twist, both sides appealed, one arguing the punishment was too harsh, the other that it wasn't harsh enough.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: In November twenty twenty five, a couple weeks back, the Court of Appeal granted Patterson leave to appeal her convictions. The legal machinery once again began to turn a town under a microscope. Back in more Well and Leanngatha, the trial left scars that don't make headlines. Hotels were packed for months with reporters, producers, and camera crews. Locals described the sensation of living inside a news cycle, recognizing faces not from the grocery store but from cable television. Victoria's Supreme Court imposed strict media protocols to protect fairness, but the pressure never fully lifted. Because this this wasn't just a crime story. It was a spectacle of proximity, a reminder that extreme violence doesn't require anonymity, poverty, or chaos. It can happen in a house that looks exactly like yours. Media obsession, from coverage to consumption. International outlets descended almost immediately. BBC News, The New York Times, CNN, The Guardian, Al Jazeera and others ran extensive coverage, often framing the cases both baffling and uniquely modern. Commentators likened it to an Agatha Christie plot, domestic, methodical, deceptively polite, while critics questioned what it meant that real people's deaths were being processed as narrative entertainment. True crime podcasts dissected trial transcripts, YouTube channels analyze body language, TikTok creators summarized weeks of testimony in ninety seconds. The case became content, and not quietly the industrialization of the story. Within months, production announcements followed. Australian streaming platform stand aired a multi part documentary series examining the murders and trial. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation confirmed development of a scripted true crime drama toxic with high profile creative talent attached. Major publishers announced forthcoming books, including one by Helen Garner, signaling the case's transition from news to literature. The message was unmistakable. This story wasn't fading. It was being archived, adapted, and monetized. Why this case won't let go. Some crimes linger because of their brutality, others because of their mystery. This one lingers because of its normalcy. No forced entry, no visible rage, no chaotic crime scene, just a lunch invitation and a meal prepared by someone the victims trusted. The weapon wasn't exotic, it was botanical. The delivery system wasn't violent, it was hospitality. And the aftermath forced courts, doctors, journalists, and audiences to confront an uncomfortable truth. The most devastating crimes don't always announce themselves as crimes. Sometimes they arrive plated the legacy, as appeals whine through the courts and adaptations reach new audiences. The victims' names risk becoming footnotes to a larger narrative, but strip away the headlines and what remains is simple and brutal. Three people died after accepting an invitation. From family. One survived forever altered, and a small town learned how quickly trust can become evidence. This wasn't just a murder case. It was a lesson about proximity control and how violence can hide inside the most ordinary gestures. And long after the appeals are decided, that lesson will still be sitting at the table. Wow, it is some cray. How absolutely betrayal Judas Kiss, Why is it? I know I'm absorbing all of the I mean, food is such a wonderful gesture of it, like an olive branch. Let's keep going, you.
Speaker 3: Know, right, Like I just think this is insane, Like what a crazy way to kill people, even like injecting them or slipping it in their drink or something like that. Like she was fucking elaborate beef Wellington's and shit.
Speaker 2: Oh, dehydrating it. It makes it even more concentrate. That amatoxin becomes more concentrated, more lethal, as if it needs any help. Right. Also, they didn't have to prove why she did it, motive? What was her motive? It wasn't like, oh there was you know how it is with the life insurance policies and whatnot, they didn't have to prove motive. They just had to prove if she knew what she was doing and absolutely come out with some bullshit cancer story. I didn't want to tell you about my my bariatric surgery.
Speaker 3: I know it's ridiculous, Come on now, embarrassing. If she thought it out this meticulously, you think she would, she would have thought out like afterward, like one, am I going to tell the police? Like?
Speaker 2: What am I going to tell people? Well?
Speaker 3: How am I going to do this? Right?
Speaker 2: That is the story of the Mushroom, the death, Muthshroom cap murders.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you Shannon so much.
Speaker 2: Pure story.
Speaker 3: If you have not done so already, please sit, subscribe, or follow. You can find us on the Internet Crimes Andconsequences dot com, and you can also find us on Patreon if you enjoy our episodes there. We publish another one every week, well most every week, I should say, whenever we publish a regular one, we publish Patreon.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, we have two episodes per week, and you have the best here, which is the first here.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, you'll get everything.
Speaker 3: And it's early release if you If you get it early release, it's no commercials. So to be nice to me, that's worth it too, So anyway, well, thanks you again and until our next episode, my friend, until next time, I love see you bye, see you bye.