Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteenth fiftday powered by Nova Insurance Services ensure your most prized possess yets.
Speaker 2: Hey, good up, tonoon, everybody, welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Ribera and with me Today's Orning Monday guy Mike Quinn. But then we got Mike, Mike, we got Henry, and we got Matt in with us for a full discussion about how about them wildcats? And I mentioned that this time last week on a good note, what the hell happened?
Speaker 3: Well, we took Utah's playbooks. We did. We decided to we decided to.
Speaker 2: Drive the ball down in the field goal range and kick the Instead of kicking the field goal, we go for it on fourth down. Yeah, and then it turns around and goes the other way. We were just saying the other day, I mean that last week the same thing. That's what you was a downfall of Utah. Right, This was a downfall for us and we can't and you and you know that if you go for field goals at some point, those four points, those four points, those four points five times, right, because you're you're you're not getting seven, you're getting four three three, they're losing four every time. They're gonna bite you, and they and they definitely bit them. Yeah, I mean, well, you know, and that's the thing about it. I mean, there's no guarantee you're gonna get a touchdown anyway, right, you know. And the other thing is this, I mean, we run, we we try and run it. The first time we ran, uh, we tried to run inside the tackles. Okay, we got a we got an undersized offensive line, we've got an undersized back, and we're trying to run inside the tackle.
Speaker 3: We ran.
Speaker 2: When you run outside the tackle, we were running outside the tackles. When we're running traps and we're running sprints, then we're making some yardage, but we can't run up the middle. So so both Henry, you were there right, ye, we were coming to the car. And what did you tell me about that offense?
Speaker 4: The play calling was that was so good against Utah? Just wasn't there, so we didn't.
Speaker 2: I think he got a lot of praise for that game against Utah. Same guy. I think if we're gonna say yay for you, what the hell happened to you exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: I didn't agree with a lot of it, a lot of the calls that they were making. The we started running outside the tackles later on and we started making some yards. But every think we talked about someone called it the big discussion last week. Later in the weeks, like, oh, we need thirty rushes a game. We need to run the ball thirty times a game.
Speaker 3: That's not that.
Speaker 2: This is not that team that runs thirty times a game. Our defense is holding. Our defenses was pretty stout. They run three times, so we ran. Okay, so technically we ran thirty times, but Fafida got sick. But they looked, Yeah, so Fefida got six of those rushes. You know, that's that's the other thing, you know, Faffida we got when he gets outside the pocket and he's on the move, that's the way he plays the best. Okay, he can he can throw the ball on the move, and we got him standing in the back and he's getting balls knocked down. I mean, he's he's not the biggest quarterback in the league. Yeah, he's You got to get him moving, You got to get this offense has got to go slide to slide, side to side to both you guys, Henry and Matt, your thoughts on house Fufida has played let's let's say Saturday and then prior to Saturday.
Speaker 4: I think in the first half Saturday, he would say it himself, he did not play well. But I think the second half he played well enough to win that game. I mean the red zone offense. They need to work on the reds in offense to play call trying to attack the corners too much. They got to get over the middle of the field.
Speaker 2: And last year, that's was two years ago, that that was their number one thing, right, they get into the red zone, they couldn't score.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, and Matt, what do you think about the offensive and sign?
Speaker 5: The play call was terrible honestly in my opinion, But you know, last week against Utah, you he looked great, but this week not so much. You know, there's Yeah, there's not much to say. Honestly, I don't was it impressed. Was it impressed?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 2: The game was too late, So we'll get to that too, because go ahead, and Ry, we talked the other topic we had and you were there at Mike. Yeah, yeah, what happened to the crowd. Yeah, it just was you know, we didn't have a lot to begin with him. Boy I tell you what, later on, there wasn't a lot to end with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and people just left a half time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike, were you one of those? Uh? I might have been one of the ones that Yeah, I went. I went with my wife and boy, I tell you what, she didn't stay up much past seven thirty. The boss said this. I said, let's go, man, we were racing to the car. But yeah, I mean I watched the rest of the game. Fortunately it was on TV, which is which is nice that they've been shown on TV. So go ahead, No, okay, So Henry and the kids, well I was ready. I was trying to find somebody to come on the shell and say what a great job you're doing. I'm not I'm going to catch that car.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So what was it like? Kids? Student wise?
Speaker 4: It was first it was packed to start, but once the second half, second half, I mean compared to the previous years, there was still a lot of tea people, but they worked like one.
Speaker 3: Like the section I was near, like the whole section. People just left.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Tucson and Bill who called earlier. It's hey, I'm not speaking out of my my butt or asked whatever. This just the way this you've been here, how long you say it?
Speaker 1: Am?
Speaker 3: I am? I wrong? No?
Speaker 2: No, I mean you're not gonna You're not gonna hold this crowd that late. You know it might be an exciting game. I mean, you know, the game wasn't all that exciting. To tell you truth, we weren't playing very well. Uh in the first half. It's het me point out, but it's like, yeah, you know, I think that people came in thinking that this is going to be some a lot of offensive fireworks.
Speaker 3: And uh, what did you say to me earlier?
Speaker 2: This was the easy pick of the week, was Yeah, the easy pick of the week was the under I mean we just kind of shut down Utah pretty well. Uh defense has been playing really good. Our offense is, you know, struggling.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I guess now it's like everyone's going in the wrong direction, you know, which is another thing?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Man, you played How does this happen five weeks and then you had.
Speaker 5: A spring practice? Honest I couldn't tell you. Honestly, there's there's no excuse.
Speaker 3: I don't know. You know it, you do you don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you coaching at the end.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go there, let's go there.
Speaker 3: They do you think they're expanding the playbook?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're trying to Yeah, trying to open trying to open up the playbook, you know, maybe go deeper into the playbook.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I'm I don't know. I really don't know.
Speaker 2: So disciplined, Well, you talked about the coach and stuff that I don't want to rag it and bucked. Uh what do you think hevin been a former player, Mike a coach? I mean an observer what I played? Okay, and you played well? Okay, give me on the phone with your coach.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 2: So I feel and I don't know what it is. It's a question this team lacks something. It lacks something. What does it lack?
Speaker 5: I say, leadership. I just look at the coach and I just don't get the coach. Yeah, I just don't get the totally get it, totally get it. And that's that's one vote for that. And I don't disagree with that. Yeah, I guess I would say discipline.
Speaker 2: You know, they don't have the discipline to run the right routes, make the right decisions go to the right directions. I mean, if they're talking, like you said, we're five weeks in and we got people going the wrong directions.
Speaker 3: I just don't see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the things that I thought I was really impressed with last week was the urgency. They played hard. The week before they did not where does that come from. It's like, and Matt, you've played if you respect the coach, and not to say they don't respect him, you played your ass off for him and you I don't see that. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's what I see is missing.
Speaker 5: I think right now the players are playing for each other. They're not threat they're not being I don't want to say they're not being pushed by the coaches, but sometimes you can. You know, your coaches can like amp you up to give it your all. But right now, I think they're just doing it for each other. So when they're down, you know, it's more like the players are leading themselves to come back and fight, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, are they doing it for each other? They're doing it for themselves.
Speaker 5: Okay, well you can say for each other themselves, you know, But yeah, I don't know. I just feel like coaching wise, there is not much there to be proud of.
Speaker 3: If that makes sense. No, no, it makes total sense.
Speaker 2: They're well three and two, three and two, and okay, maybe some people they thought were going to be that be three and two going in.
Speaker 3: Not like this. Yeah, see that's thinking about it.
Speaker 2: If you sat there and and then you had these discussions with Jay before the season, if we would have been three and two right now, we probably would have been going, Okay, well there you go.
Speaker 3: We're in a good place.
Speaker 2: You know, we're in a good place right now at three and two where we thought we'd be. But the way we're three and two, it's how you gained the weight. Yeah, it's how you gained the weight. It's just really something, you know. I mean, we should have you really thought that we were going to have an uptick. Things were going in the right direction after Utah. Yeah, people are host Hey, it was all And Jake called last week at this time right to say, I want everybody to give the coaches a break here. And I don't know if Jay's listening now you can call back and see you know. But but but what it is, and I party was guilty of it too, because to me, it was a premature evaluation. Yeah, you know, and I think we suffered from that a lot. Is there appeal for that, Yeah, but because we were back on track. We're back on track. And what was the question I asked of all you guys, can you trust this team before last week? Can you trust this team? And they prove that you can't right now it's like you have no idea who's going to show up next next week? Right, well, then we get it, we get we get a team that could be b YU. Wait, wait, let's go to the to the to the guys who kind of our students then kind of know some things. What's your prediction? And it's really early.
Speaker 3: I don't know even.
Speaker 4: I think they got to work on their preparation because their best game was off the bye week. They haven't been able to prepare for They always start off slow, it feels like coming out these games and they have to adjust. And that time, I thought you were gonna tell me that they were gonna be b I think knowing how Arizona play is just the history of Arizona.
Speaker 3: They will be by you.
Speaker 4: But also b YU right now is a much better team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like we've played them in previous years, so you know we have Yeah, but again I feel like Team Mac and like if T MAXX are offense. So if they find a way to take them out the game and no other players step up, yes, aps right.
Speaker 3: And what's and that hasn't happened this whole time, Double triple team him and let everybody else beat you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess so, yeah, just double them and then put your best corner on the second receiver he was.
Speaker 2: I didn't write about the game because I didn't know what the hell the right, but I would have said, what, you can't win games when you're guarantee guys. Team Mac can't fumble, right, I mean he can't honestly that one. I'm not gonna blame him. I'm not gonna blame him that it was a good play. You know he's trying to. It's just you know you but Superman can't lose his cake. Superman can't lose his cap. But he lost his cap. The kicker Loop, who got Player of the Week here, lost his cap ball.
Speaker 3: But it's been five weeks and now the receiver stepped up. No, I and that's another issue. So that's what I'm saying. You gotta make the drives, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, so how does this conversation change if t Mac doesn't fumble that ball because we're rolling. We were, we we cruised down, we hit another, another couple of plays, we take a field goal, we win the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So now now we sit there and is the coach a genius? I mean, there's this team. Can you trust the team? And I still thinks it all based on that one play. You're still you still kind of wonder God, this struggle, God it looks bad, blah blah blah, but they want I don't know.
Speaker 3: The narrative is still do you trust this team? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I still I still think no, no, No, they won the game exactly exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have I would have been like, okay, well we got we we survived that game there, but we made like I said, we made some of you survived that Jamie, thinking we could very easily be three and two or two and three or whatever, you know.
Speaker 5: And honestly we we have we have a go runner back, but like Conley, Yeah Conley, right, but after that, that's it, you know.
Speaker 2: So, so Connley is a good running back, able to run every down. Well, he's not gonna be able to run inside the tackles. He's proven, you know you're not. I mean it's fourth, it's it's fourth and one and we're running a we're running a dive play.
Speaker 3: And he's our big site fifteen. He's not gonna knock anybody. He's a good back. Though. If I'm not, I'm not talking. You can get to the outside guy.
Speaker 2: We got a couple of minutes before we're gonna get Brian Peterson from as Deserts Form, who covers the team. God, I was just gonna think of something and I forgot about trusting the team. I've lost it. So it'll come back to me in a sense. So we have Brian Peterson and then we're gonna get to George malo Ulu, who a former u of a quarterback here many years ago. You're probably in school when he was. No, it was just he graduated right when I should. Yeah, so you know I asked him to come on, how much pressure is it to be the quarterback at you? Because he came in thirty years ago, right thirty years ago, and there was no social media, there was no Also, he also didn't get paid right, So there's this and that little if.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get paid.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna get paid, Michael Quinn, don't you think you get a little little controversy or you get a little criticism even when you didn't wide open Now that's why open. That's like this, it's ranted. Guandhi head Okahoma State. It's like going, you know, uh, don't come after my my players, you know, come after me. It's like going, Oho, your players are free game now, okay, because we're kicking in five thousand dollars a piece into this, right, you know, this fund to buy your players. And if we're buying your players, guess what open season?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: That's the market on that Because Mike Quinn, I know the people you hang out with.
Speaker 3: I know you. I could get tiring.
Speaker 2: You need another five thousand, and this is what I'm getting, right, Yeah, exactly, I'm getting a broken car with no tires, right exactly? Yeah, what are you What are you gonna do with my next five thousands?
Speaker 3: Right? How are you gonna spend it? Exactly? Go ahead, Matt, what are you thinking? Oh no, this go we get take a break.
Speaker 2: Right, We're good, you know good, We're gonna have Brian Peterson get his thoughts on one of his tweets that we thought was very, very important and I've said it all along, so we'll get Brian not just important, stunning.
Speaker 3: On the other side.
Speaker 7: Thanks now your chance to win one thousand dollars you just touch her this nation wide keyword on our website. Money. That's money entering right now Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your jaw and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco.
Speaker 9: Yuki Try The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style, and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about doratle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. You found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 3: Edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds.
Speaker 11: This quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: School and the Falls four season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps. Shorts are long Sley follows and why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose froom, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership.
Speaker 3: Paul Volpi is.
Speaker 13: Ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A b K nine two nine four two equal housing Opportunity, how to commitment to lindrixon credit rates and avaiable loan programs of subjec to change the NUNT notice?
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at a chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 3: As one of the.
Speaker 12: Leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports.
Speaker 3: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 12: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere tru Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 3: Ready to save but not sure where to begin?
Speaker 14: Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and.
Speaker 3: You could win big. Watch your savings grow.
Speaker 14: To help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more. Visit pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today that really insured and CUA.
Speaker 10: Gout bugs, termites, bees or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialists US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona pestc coan We'll get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bes or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypass dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about his you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 7: Steve Rivera, He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports stationed Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in with Mike Quinn today, Henry and Matt. Now we have Brian Peterson from from Azy Desert's form.
Speaker 3: How are you doing, Brian? Good? Thanks trapping me back.
Speaker 2: Let me let me ask you because I thought the tweet of the weekend, the tweet of the game was yours, and it was the you beat a top ten team, you lay an egg the next I've seen it for thirty seven years, You've seen it for a number of years. It's probably not a shock to you, but it bears saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: This was the sixth consecutive time that Arizona football has lost the game immediately after beating a top ten team. The one previous to this was in twenty twenty two when they had that landmark win at UCLA, who was number nine, came home and looked listless in a eleven point loss to Washington State.
Speaker 3: The last time they won.
Speaker 6: The game immediately after beating a top ten team was in two thousand and eleven, twenty ten, I think when they just barely beat Cal ten to nothing and then got blown out the next game, or excuse me, ten to nine against counting blown out. I mean, these are different teams, there's different coaching staff, so it's not like there's a weird correlation causation thing, or you could just say it's just a very Arizona thing that every time something goes to for the program, it has to regress to the mean, and you know, the the the access have to tilt back the right way.
Speaker 3: Your honor. I think it's a second one where it's very Arizona.
Speaker 2: You're you've been here a long time, you're a student, You're you're you're pretty fair and balanced. You you don't you know raw raw the Arizona, which is very noble of you. And I've seen it. I've seen it in basketball too. You know, Tell them they can't against the Dukes and they win. Tell them they can against Clemsons, they can't.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 2: It's just the way it is, I mean to me, And you've seen it, Brian that sometimes or most of the times, that Arizona doesn't know how to handle prosperity.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a fair way to say it. And I mean, as much as you want the players to avoid the right quote unquote outside noise, Brent Brennan has kind of mentioned it, because you know, this stuff is on their phones all the time, and short of taking away their phones, which a former Arizona baseball coach did at LSU this year when his team was struggling, you can't keep them from seeing this stuff. You have to hope that they either don't look or they don't let it get.
Speaker 3: To them, either the good or the bad.
Speaker 6: You know, we've seen under Tommy Lloyd that every time they lose a game, they suddenly play one of their best ones. So it's almost like they're motivated by a poor performance. But here, I mean, I don't think that they didn't try or anything like that, or didn't put in good effort. It's just everything that could possibly go.
Speaker 3: Wrong to not be able to win that game. Did right? No?
Speaker 2: No, No, I go with how would you evaluate Noah to this point? Maybe maybe in Saturday's game and then the rest of the season.
Speaker 6: I mean, I do think he is at sometimes overthinking things and other times not thinking enough. Like I mean, there's been times where it's clear he's trying to get the ball to Temac no matter what and doesn't see other people that are open. But then maybe there's other times where because he's not you know, t Mac is not open and he doesn't go there there's no one else, and then it becomes this indecisiveness, and I mean it just comes down to just not being a reliant on that one thing. And I don't think he doesn't want to throw the ball to other people's He's just assuming that he can get it to that playmaker. I thought that he had turned a corner when he was finding he and Burnett at Utah in some of those big plays, especially the one that the last touchdown, because Burnett broke off his route and he they connected and had that great connection. But you didn't see that in this last game. I mean there were times where he was back there for five or six seconds and no one was open, and he just like didn't know what to do in that kind of situation. Some of that's also because of the fact that, I mean, Brennan said it again today that like people were going in the wrong direction, which is just such a strange thing to think considering that they they practiced these plays over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the uh so are they asking uh Noah to do things that he maybe is not It's not his primary skill set. And what I'm really getting at here is he seems to be h this year, setting in the pocket a long time, uh and not you know, not looking to run.
Speaker 3: We're not rolling them out, We're not uh you know, getting him.
Speaker 2: Outside the pocket, uh to create plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't really.
Speaker 6: I don't think they want him to scramble a lot just because you know, he there. There's a considerable drop off to the backup quarterback, whereas last year you have Delora still if something were to happen, just like they were okay with Delora scrambling because they knew, they felt that that Tafida would be able to do it. So I don't think they want to put himself at harmstress. But yes, I am surprised that they aren't doing more plays where they're they're moving him out of the pocket by design.
Speaker 3: I mean, the.
Speaker 6: The the cover ex excuse me, the pathwocking has been great, Like he's had a lot of time, but you know, that's just you shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Need that much time.
Speaker 6: And if there's times where he is rolling, then you are going to see, especially if they're in any sort of a zone, you're going to see some people that are going to react to that, and that can lead to some players opening up. So maybe, particularly after this game, considering how much he was sitting there, that this is something that they would go to. But it's surprising that they haven't really gone to that.
Speaker 2: So so did Brendan. He talked about the guy's not knowing where they're going. Do you understand you say why that was happening.
Speaker 6: He said it was just kind of well he was saying it was a mix of personnel and coaching and that they're not making sure. You know, he's always going to take that responsibility that him and his coaches are not making sure people know where they're.
Speaker 3: Supposed to go.
Speaker 6: But I think there is a certain level to it at some point, like in baseball, you tell someone don't swing at a bad pitch, but you can't keep them from swinging a bad pitch. They're going to swing at a bad pitch.
Speaker 3: That's on the player.
Speaker 6: And so I do think that this is a lot on the players themselves, but also the coaches are they need to recognize where there are limitations. And he's made mentioned both Saturday and today about are they running too much scheme? Are they asking people to do things they can't do? And I think one place where that may be is they do a lot of pulling on run plays, which leads to these plays going very slow.
Speaker 3: But that's an area where.
Speaker 6: If someone is going in the wrong directions to a huge issue. If you are going much more of the just straightforward run blocking, that would have less of an issue because you're not having somebody just come completely unblocked because someone ran the wrong way.
Speaker 3: Yeah but no, okay, so that would be good.
Speaker 2: And you're absolutely right that you you you minimize the the movement if you will, and the decision making, uh, you know, eliminate from that that from the formula. But we don't have the offensive line that's going to blow people straight off the ball. We saw that on the fourth down place where we're trying to run the ball straight at the middle. The pulling is what opens up what's opened up and running. So how do they fix that.
Speaker 6: Well, the pulling open up the running.
Speaker 3: If the people pull the right direction.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, right, So it is a little bit of mix. But I mean, if you're if you're going with six offensive linemen plus a fullback and all that, that should be enough even without having to move someone in an abs direction because they're just they're yes, as you said, they're not good enough to have these complicated kind of run blocking schemes.
Speaker 3: But they are holding up. They're not getting like.
Speaker 6: It's not a case where these guys are getting into the backfield because the defense is just blowing them over. They're getting in the backfield because there's no one there where that person is supposed.
Speaker 3: To be blocking somewhere. So I think it comes down to just simplifying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me, let me let me ask another question, because right on that, you're you're absolutely right. I think the past block and has been has been really really good. If if he has had a lot of time in the pocket, but he's taking a lot of sacks. Is he he's getting hit last He's got hit pretty hard a couple of times he did. But I'm saying he's still has he has time in the pocket, Okay, I mean the pocket at some point is going to collapse. Is he not finding anyone open or is he just not doesn't have good decision making?
Speaker 6: I'm I think a lot of it is just that, like no one is getting open, and if you look, if you focus on the routes themselves, these guys aren't getting any sort of separation. They're not doing anything to kind of break free from anybody. And I think he's waiting for Teamac to be able to get away, and if that doesn't happen, no one else is doing it like it's They're usually trying to have multiple guys either directly on or near Team AC and what there's usually someone on defense. I noticed it a lot with Texas Tech and even with UTAH that is essentially watching what Fafita is doing a safety and as the more he looks towards Teamac, they start moving that way. They don't have to do that with anybody else because none of these guys are finding themselves getting open too much. But then there when they do start to move away from their guys to focus on Teamac, someone is open. And that it almost like if there's a way to do like a playfake or an eye fake where you're really drawing all the defense by looking at Temac and that leaves someone else open. But I think once he looks at team Ac, he stays on Temac.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I asked the guys in the room here, maybe fifty even if go do, what's this team lacking? And I don't know what it is, but it's lacking something. Do you see them lacking anything, whether it be hard, playing hard for the coach, playing hard from is there something that you see that maybe they're missing.
Speaker 6: No, I mean, I don't think this team lacked in any sort of effort or any sort of desire. It's it's so much about execution, but I think there is also just there aren't enough plays that you are guaranteed to get positive yardage. We've discussed this with myself and other writers, both in the press box and beyond that. There's not a lot of stuff over the middle, and there's not a lot of stuff that is just like make sure you're getting five yards on first down or quick stuff. It's it's all deep shots or just like very short games to the sideline, and there's not enough where you're putting yourself in second and six, second and five, third and three, third and two. They're trying to get twenty yards on every play or they're only getting two yards.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Henry talked about this and you know this, that Noah's going after big yardge.
Speaker 3: Last year he never really did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he was zero for nine on passes.
Speaker 3: That were twenty air yards or more.
Speaker 6: In this past game, he made some of those big throws against Utah, but those were also I mean one of those involved him rolling out and the other was a great blitz pick up where he was able to find on the first third and eleven on that last scoring drive. So it's there. It's just that those were on third down. I'm talking about like on first and second down. It's not like they're throwing it fifty yards down the field, but they're trying to get like a twenty five yard game where they can get like an eight yard game.
Speaker 2: Right right, So according to well, not according to your tweet, which I thought was fantastic because I've a thousand times even Oscar, you can do it in any sport here. But maybe this gives Arizona hope for this week because they're going to be underdogs against BYU, which wouldn't be a shock, right if they did win, oh, not at all.
Speaker 6: And that is also a very Arizona thing to suddenly to look I mean, considering how bad they looked against Kansas State and then to be able to go and win at Utah. Yes, they had an extra week, but this time BYU is the one with extra time. But you know, there's so many weird things that happen in college football. Apparently BYU at night compared to BYU during the day is such a different thing. That they are not a good team when they played during the day, and they're almost unbeatable at night. And this goes back several years. So there are those kind.
Speaker 3: Of weird things.
Speaker 6: But yes, it would be very typical for as bad as they looked last game to then just go up to BYU and win. There are concerns that BYU isn't nearly as good as It's five to oh record indicates that they've had a lot of good fortune that Kansas State game.
Speaker 3: They had I think.
Speaker 6: Two or three defensive or special teams touchdowns, so I think they maybe scored seventeen points on offense in that game. So they're not an explosive team or anything like that. They I think they're very beatable. It's just Arizona. Arizona's going to have to be more risky on third and fourth down and more conservative and willing to just take what they can get on the early down.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's switch excers just for a moment here. I said and asked you in the Red Blue game. I don't think I made any twenty dollars bets with you this time, which is good for you, I guess. But what were your impressions? What were your impressions?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's you shouldn't get anything super positive or super negative or super definitive at of something like that, because it's all just a glorified practice and all that. I did enjoy the defensive intensity that you would see. It didn't have that all star game kind of you know, everyone's just dunking on each other and doing behind the back passes, and that bodes well for what is expected to be a very tough Big twelve schedule where they're not going to be able to just win these games where they're scoring ninety something points, that they're going to have to rely on defense when the offense ultimately doesn't do well. So I was happy to see that. I was very impressed with just the overall versatility of Carter Bryant's game, not just in the game itself, but also the fact that he was the only guy that competed in both a three point contest and the dunk contest, and that he did well in both of those, So he has a lot going.
Speaker 3: For him there.
Speaker 6: And I also I would have a little bit of concern about the fact that not just that Motiv Kribis hasn't didn't play in that game, but that apparently he hasn't practiced in a few weeks because of whatever injury he's dealing with. If he's not ready for the season, then it really changes a lot of stuff. They make it seem like he will be, but if he's not, then you know, what are you going to do at the five? Is Bsar going to be the guy or are they just going to have to go a smaller route and have Tobey a loca.
Speaker 3: Be that guy, right, No, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I think my breakout guy will be Henry, although I totally screwed up last year, so I'm incredible when I picked uh uh the kid who in Jinia, Mexico.
Speaker 3: What's you name?
Speaker 6: Well, for you, I'm more concerned if you you just need to remember all the names of the guards, because you were showing your afterwards where you could not remember all three guards.
Speaker 2: Well, Brad's I don't know why that could happened to read twice. Just you know, two names, two names. I'm good with three, but not so much.
Speaker 3: Thanks?
Speaker 2: Thanks uh, Brian, see if you forget who you are?
Speaker 3: Thanks Brian. Thanks Brian, appreciate it as having radio. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I feel any more comfortable, especially with the guys going in directions they shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Have been going to. I can't believe he even admitted.
Speaker 2: That that was the number one thing, because I got a lot of people's why would this guy say this? Yeah, it's like going It's one of those things like going, yeah, he getting out, they're going. I don't think that they're properly coached. What are you doing? I mean, so scatter us that way guys scout us that way, don't worry and listening a break, We'll have more to say on either side. You're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hi, this is former Wildcat Leman Huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, in your attacking. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 3: Space in your life.
Speaker 15: We also complete line of caudio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 16: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial daid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve verra heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roofed, they've got you covered. Don't bumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell, or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 17: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebels Poker dot com.
Speaker 7: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifding. Want to take part in the show. Call up steam now at five to two oh four one six seventy four to forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here Fox Scorch Fortune fifty on Steve. You're Michael Quinn and we got heavy and we got that good discussion so far. Let's not screw this up, of course we will. They got three here to come here out of halftime and h and lay An eggs.
Speaker 3: I still I still believe.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, you don't expect that from t mac Yes, and tumbles happen stuff like that. He also, I don't know about this, guys, but he's not that he's doing this purposely. But that one had his catches. The one had to catch that he does all the time. That came up a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was one in the back of the end zone.
Speaker 4: I think it was out the flea flicker he could have got if he tried it too.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, there's one, maybe two that he could have cut and not to say because he had. There was one he dropped with two hands in that signature out leaping some guy and pulling it in. Hey, like I said, you can't do it all all the time, and and he didn't. You can't expect that much. I mean that all the time. But he's looking for the he's looking for the flash all the time. Yeah, go ahead, I want to get on Sports Center, right, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know that, but not sometimes when you play football, like it's easier to reach the ball with one hand.
Speaker 3: Oh I get it into I get it. So that's maybe what he.
Speaker 2: And he's good at it, but but you know, what the hell do normal people?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: One of the guys, one of the guys who who texted me during the game, said he's losing a lot of money. He's losing a lot of money here because he's not doing and I'm thinking, you're crazy. The guy is good, he's not some scout. Isn't going to say you remember that night against Texas Tech he dropped those No, he's good. Yeah, he's good. He's going to be fine. Yeah, he's going to be drafted. I mean that that decision has been made.
Speaker 4: Right, We're talking about him like this and he's still one hundred and sixty one yards.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, right, I know, you're exactly right. Perspective, right, perspective exactly. Just Arizona just didn't come out and play in the first half, and maybe maybe there are two teams on that field, and Texas Tech did exactly what it needed to do to win the game too. Absolutely, they played pretty up there. They are a good team. Texas Tech is a good team.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They four and one now, yeah it could be five one. Let me ask you, is Arizona a good team? I think Arizona is a good team.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I think that they play poorly, but I think that they are a good team. I do think we can run the ball. Like I said, I think we can run the ball, but we can't run the ball inside the tackles. We can run the ball if we go the right directions and we're running the running the counters and the traps, I think we can run them.
Speaker 3: To all you guys, is that solvable? Is what ails them?
Speaker 2: Solvable? Yes, with the tackles running. If they can't do it, they just can't do it. If they But let's thing about it. You can't be who you're not right, Okay, Like like I've been saying about ffiedaf Fefida is not going to be the guy that's going to be able to stand there in the pocket and and delivery. He's got he's gotten balls slapped down. He's a he's gonna be most short mobile quarterback. He is extremely good. Okay, but you need to do things. You need to be able to coach your talent. You don't just sit there and say, okay, this is the offense that I run. Okay, well I agree with you. You go with what get you there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's as being more mobile more in the more mobile.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what other word to use, but barsata. Yeah, I'll tell you. You know when t mac ran in a couple of those crossing you know, across the middle, uh patterns, caught the ball and get in in full stride where it's that's dangerous there. It's it's Jerry Rice like you know that you can just get it and go yeah and kind of get that talent and then run away from people. Absolutely, yeah, give him, get him the ball. You don't really uh like Brandon was saying, it's like when you don't need to need to get him the ball thirty yards down the field, you can get in the ball five yards down the field and let him come up with something. Yeah, guys, what would you guys do? Well, I didn't ask about the offensive offensive college. Uh, that's that's a concern. It's been a concern all year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, outside of the Utah game, the play calling is not in grade. I think we haven't really seen them with a huge lead really where they can just run the ball.
Speaker 3: But they got to get to.
Speaker 2: That right, well, you Mixico, they finally did that right Eventually could first game of the season. What do you expect them? That was even closer than your thought would be. Yeah, exactly. So they do not have an explosive offense right now. No, And the one thing that you could rely on coming into the season was what yeah, the explosive box. Yeah, we were really concerned about the defense. If if you were to give a grade to the defense right now, I was just gonna ask Brian this, except I couldn't get a word in edgewise with Utah and the But if you were gonna if you were going to give a defense a grade, what grade would you give the defense right now?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: B plus? Yeah, I was gonna say that du Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think yeah, okay, so okay, so we know there's that.
Speaker 3: Would you give the what would you give the offense?
Speaker 1: Se?
Speaker 3: Minus? It's not a D. See I give a C. Yeah you said minus.
Speaker 4: I mean they only start seven against k Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, that's fair. I mean that's fair. That a seventy two ish? What is that minus?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're inconsistent. I still think that we're trying to do things that we're not good at. Now, I will tell you we were we were running the h we were running Connley out and short pass to Conmedy get into the ball and Glenn Lenham run. Okay, which is almost like a run play. But it's a you know, it's a it's a it's a quick hitting thing. Those things we can do. Get Condley outside, get him out and moving. I would get Forfita out and moving. You know, this offense is going to have to move the defense a little bit. We are not big enough to run people over. You've never been ever, No, I don't think we ever have have been. But and that we were just.
Speaker 3: Not so so Matt. So, Matt, you.
Speaker 2: Think so lest year Yeah, oh no, no, I'm talking about offensive line.
Speaker 3: I'm talking more more people. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so you you went out right, was it four years ago, three years ago, something like that? So so, but you were you were not with the team, you were with the other walk on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, what were your impression of the team, But you were because Arizona's never been big. Yeah, they kind of out athletic you almost. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's you run the offense.
Speaker 3: So okay.
Speaker 2: So I worked with the Army football team for a real long time. They run the option the reason they run the options because they get undersized lineman. They're not gonna blow people off the ball. They're gonna do They're gonna angle, they're gonna block you at angles. They're gonna run around people. They're gonna have misdirections. Uh, that's it. I'm not saying that we need to go to the option because they certainly don't. I mean, we've got a much better quarterback star quarterback then, But you know, we gotta we got to do those things. We got to get the defense moving. So am I and that they have to do more athletic you'll definitely definitely, Yeah, that's what I think.
Speaker 3: And and and here we are and they're not. They're not that. I don't know. There's how many games left? Six? Five? Seven? Non, No, not seven.
Speaker 2: They're three and two. I think there might be seven. Yeah, there's seven. There's gotta be twelve games. So of those seven games that we were talking about this before, and of course, let's do the premature evaluation here, overreaction, over reaction. Wait, no, true, Uh, I think that Henry said, Well, I'll let Henry see what he said. I'll give him the benefit of doubt. We got to call though and welcome to the show. You're on the air.
Speaker 18: How you guys, this is Gabriel thing.
Speaker 3: How are you? How are you doing? After that Saturday.
Speaker 18: Arizona short have won that game. To be honest with you, the one thing that I I mean wasn't wasn't Noah Sefida like turning over the ball I think two times. And then I think in the earlier in the fourth quarter not sticking to the run game and simbling for a field goal but then miss it. That's when Arizona loss. And then as a matter of fact, when team att fumbled the ball, and I think I listened to Brett Brett Bremman's press conference and he when I was watching it, he seemed really pissed off to me, And I think, did you guys see that he was more pissed off on Saturday?
Speaker 2: Well think, oh, yeah, you know, it's why you say that. I'm kind of recalling what He looked more upset than he has in the in the past. But he doesn't look like a guy who gets pissed off just like a.
Speaker 18: Yeah, he doesn't look like coach rich Rod Reid is like cussing. I've seen like all the time but he did say that I think the offense needs to be better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question, I.
Speaker 18: Think I think the coaches on the offensive side needs to coach better.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 18: I'm not calling anyone to be fire. I'm just come on, you guys, just what week on? Are we on six weeks of college football?
Speaker 3: Or what coming up? Six weeks?
Speaker 2: It is a new coaching staff, it is a new system. Uh, there's some learning. There's gonna be a learning curve. At what point do you say, Okay, we've learned enough. Every week's the learning experience. Yeah, well I don't know. Six we gave thanks a bunch. I was wondering about you. How are you feeling because you sound a little bit more pragmatic than pissed off.
Speaker 18: Well, I mean it's not scheme, it's not play calling. Okay, what is it? Then? Is it more coaching? Okay? Come on, I mean for lunch. As we hate on jet Fish and his being a used car he being a used car car salesman. He basically put the fear of God in and the players last year. Yeah, is there anything like that?
Speaker 3: Well, you know what you say, fear of God.
Speaker 2: I won't go that far, but that's but but but that's kind of the thing I was asking you, guys, what's missing here? And it might not be the fear of God, but some kind of fear would work. Yeah, yeah, you gotta be displayed. Yeah, thanks Gape, thanks for the callins always you welcome.
Speaker 6: They're down Arizona, go cap.
Speaker 2: So guys, uh, that's exactly we kind of didn't say that, but that's what I'm missing. That you don't have to have him cussing and kneling and really being pissed in the press conference. It's it's what they you played, you coached. They have to have some sense of respect or fear of you to work there, to want to run through walls.
Speaker 3: If part of the cliche, but that's what it is to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, So, so he is Brendan is not obviously not an overly emotional guy in terms of yelling, screaming and that works up. But he's successful. He's been successful, Okay, I mean I have confidence that he's gonna get to the point where they're doing doing the right things, They're going in the right direction, running the place correctly. But you gotta yeah, I don't know. So you've had coaches a low mistakes you. You have one way. I know you, coach. You're painting the ass. You're you're a do it my way. You're a tyrant. Am I incorrect in my evaluation with you? No that I'd like to be labeled as a tyrant. You can talk to my kids. Yeah, I've seen that too. I've seen as a father and as a coach. Uh matt uh. There's a there's a little more pep in your step or want when you have somebody not ragging you, but kind of getting on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'll say when I don't want to say again a fear of a coach, but you know, when you mess up on a play, for example, when they're out there not knowing the right place, right right right, that should never happen if you have a certain level of Again, I don't want to say fear, but I don't know what the word is, right, You just wouldn't do that?
Speaker 2: Well? Sometimes, what about the fear of not playing? That's it, That's where I wanted to go with it. Wouldn't you say, get get him out of there? Yeah, it's like someone's the third time that you've run the wrong damn direction. Yeah, let's sub let's get somebody else in, but do we have the depth where we can do that?
Speaker 3: Maybe running back, No, running back, we definitely don't.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe a receiver, because you guys are talking who are the receivers that they're going to Team mack and.
Speaker 3: Who's two B? Who's two? It the crack guy but you know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but you don't know, which means you don't know. And then we said Burnette. I said Burnette because he's kind of like the second go to that. So there's two and it stops it too, all right?
Speaker 3: Not good?
Speaker 2: Right? No, yeah, you gotta there has to be somebody else that we can get the ball to. Kind of we're throwing we're throwing the ball to Connley uh successfully for the backfield.
Speaker 3: This is this.
Speaker 2: Is this make you appreciate last year's a receiving core of of kid who's at San Francisco right now Kellen uh t mac and then another.
Speaker 5: Thirty there's three. Yeah, so you can also look at that though, is it the loss of talent? Like, do you think if we had the same talent that would will be flourishing right now?
Speaker 3: Do you think I think you could be doing better? Yeah? Yeah, with the same coach, with the same coach. Yeah, we'll tell it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I think so, because you know the thing is that, like I said, uh, Fafita is holding out of the ball. All right, okay if he's kids, like Brandon mentioned about separation, right, if we can get some separation.
Speaker 3: Let me Yes, you saw have you ever seen no Fafina in real life? Yeah? Short guy? And what what are you?
Speaker 5: I'm like five nine, he's not over five nine. I don't care what the stats are saying.
Speaker 3: With that.
Speaker 2: With that, we got to go. We'll get to that on the other side.