Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, Welcome, welcome, welcome. It's time now for Native Beat right here on Kay one. The one you trust, John Weston is with us. He brings friends always absolutely.
Speaker 2: Tom Osio Nagata, Hello everyone, Osta son Ala, good morning, and happy Wednesday, as we say in Cherokee. She and a ega. Today I'm enjoined by someone well known throughout the Cherokee Reservation and someone who I consider a dear friend, Chris Crane. Chris is the host of Friedbred Journeys at our sister station in Coffeeville, the mighty sixth ninety KGGF. In addition to that, Chris is the secretary of Native American Fellowship, one of our Native communities in South Coffeeville, of which I'm a proud member, and she's the office manager through Cherokee Nation for the Goodoogi Core program based there. Chris and I met a couple of years ago when I was a regional film director for the Hoskin Warner reelection campaign. She was one of my field organizers, and in spite of that, we remain friends. So she's someone who wears many hats, and we're happy to have her with us on the show this morning, But before we begin, we like to thank our small ansor Tomahawk's Supply. Tomahawk is a locally owned Native family business here to supply you with all your business needs, whether it's in the area of office supplies, food service, janitorial packaging, or other needs. If it's a special item you need, they'll do their best to get it for you. Give them a call today at nine one eight sixty three nine two two three seven. Check them out at Facebook on their Facebook page, or their website at okatamahawk dot com. I'm going to brag a little bit on the Odor Dace tom He is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, and he's a proud Cherokee. We're absolutely blessed here in Bardsville to have wonderful people who live here and support our community, and Dace and his family are terrific. I know several local business owners here and I encourage everyone to buy locally because when you do, that's why I think, goes right back into our local economy. Those dollars have a ripple effect and they improve the quality of life here for everyone. So buy local if you can. Native Bee would also like to thank you our listeners for your continued support and tuning in. Chris, how are you this morning?
Speaker 3: I'm okay, great, pretty drive over from Coville. Yeah, absolutely nice and chili and nippy outside.
Speaker 4: It's like kind of like fall weather.
Speaker 2: Fall is definitely here. In fact, I was just not putting up my Christmas lights this past weekend. Oh really in shorts because it agrees that day and I thought, I'm going to get it done before it gets really cold, and I'm out here freezing trying to hang up these lights.
Speaker 3: Actually, Tom and I were talking beforehand about Christmas decorations out here in the station, how pretty the office looks. And I've been doing a little different this year. I've been just cleaning everything out and putting things away, So it's kind of very bare in my living and dining room right now. And then this weekend we will then begins the decorations.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our house is already decked out. It was decked out like two weeks ago, so good for you. And I didn't do it. Don't give me credit for it. So yeah, I'm just having the better half. Well not even that. It's actually my granddaughter's mother, Okay, she likes to decorate.
Speaker 4: So she that's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Five Christmas trees up.
Speaker 4: In the house.
Speaker 2: You have a Christmas for us. That's exactly right. We want a little bit of Christmas in every room.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: So, as I mentioned in the intro, you wear mini hats. Right. So, something fairly recently you've become involved in is the Cherokee Nation Goodoogie Corp Program. Yes, uh, those they listen listening, they may wonder, you know what is this word goodoogie? It's something that we talk about a lot in Cherokee Nation, and good Doogie is a cultural concept that is really ingrained as the Cherokees, and it's all about and it's really honored by us. It's all about working together for the common good. Chief host Can signed an executive order implementing the Godogie Core Program and its aim is to increase volunteerism and participation in programs under this office to solve problems or provide support at the local level across the Cherokee Reservation. And I thought it was a very interesting concept because, I mean, who knows better the needs of your community than the people that are in that community? Exactly yeah so' and doing so I think that if you if you do a service, and this is kind of what I've learned along the way because I've volunteered with many programs, you can strengthen your Cherokee identity and community. And I think it's a great program and I think that it's something we need to impress upon the youth. You know, it's just the other way to get youth involved and maybe have a mentorship program, do different activities to help with aptitudes like reading, mathematics, science skills. They're going to help them as they.
Speaker 4: Go into the work.
Speaker 3: They did Sean Critten and who's the former tribal counselor, is actually the person in charge of Goodogi Corps. He's the executive director, and they did earlier this summer they did a reading camp down at Pevine in the southern part and it was very successful, and they're looking at doing one up farther north, and hopefully we're going to be doing more of these camps in the future. I think the goal was at least for the first year while Goodogi Corps was implemented, and looking at maybe doing not just math and reading, but transitional from elementary to junior high skills that these students will lead, you know, going as you move forward and get older.
Speaker 4: I mean they're used to being in.
Speaker 3: A home room all day long, going and learning how to change between classes and learning how how to you know respect and things that, Like you said, Cherokees traditionally have you need to have respect for your elders and it just cut morals, ethics, handling your emotions, things like that.
Speaker 2: But organizations school.
Speaker 3: Well, exactly, organizations schools things they can learn. And I think that they're doing that on top of the volunteerism and they can get volunteers to help with this kind of project.
Speaker 4: But lots of stuff. After that tornado around Claremore, I.
Speaker 3: Mean they were out oh in force, cleaning up and really helping people. That was it was greatly needed. And so you want to get a base. I think they're trying to get something set up maybe at Dewey, Washington County where you're at, and have a bank of people that they can call if something happens.
Speaker 2: God can activate people in Marshy.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and I think that's what a lot of what good.
Speaker 2: Do you greatly increased response times, We're not having to rely on Cherokee Nation emergency management to get everything in place.
Speaker 3: To come out and if you can get some We just we got some weatherization kits at NAPPY because we had a great need colder weather. And these people depend on stuff, and so Cherokee Nation has gotten some stuff to us that we can pass out because we had a list.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 3: The other thing is this is a great opportunity for college students.
Speaker 4: Yes, now I don't know about in this area.
Speaker 3: I know in Coffeeville because I used to work for the Coffeeville, Kansas School District, but they require their students to get so many hours of community service every year in order to graduate from high school. Don't think it's a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think it'd also be a great idea to hold STEM camps as well. Oh yeah, for those of you who don't know, STEM is this acronym that's kind of been adopted in the last few years. You just mean science, Technology, engineering, and mathematics. If we had summer camps where kids could be engaged in things like robotics or three D printing, or at their maths skills and better prepare them for the world, whether they're going to go into a vocation, whether they're going to go into the workforce, whether they're going to go to college. You know, all those things require They're seemingly simple on the surface, but I know for a fact, things like three D printing, you have to start off for the concept. You have to start off for the concept, and then you have to manipulate that concept on a drafting platform to actually put it in put it into the printer and create something. So I think that's one of the things. It really unleashes a lot of things. It's it's not only your technical ability, but also your creative abilities.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I know there's the ASIS, they call it American Indian Science and Engineering Society, Yes, and so that is a focus on Native Americans and I and there's always you know, we also like to focus on females because.
Speaker 4: There are very few, they're underrepresented, very much represent it. So you know, it's a good thing to get into.
Speaker 2: And we know that education is a lifelong process. I you know, learn, I try to learn something new every day, and I mean people have different interests and aptitudes. Yeah, but I think half the battle is encouraging that initial spark and desire to learn. You know, if you don't get that earlier in life, I think a lot of times that process kind of falls by the wayside. So teachers and that incredible ability to have them inspire their students that can make all the difference. I know, I went to a rural school. We didn't have a lot of resources, and I think a light bulb turned on for me with my science features because we started doing microscopy and some of the first few times I looked through a microscope and discovered this whole new world. Yeah, it really sparked this interest in microbiology and things like that. Well, now I hold a degree in molecular biology, so you know, you never know where the path that's going to lead.
Speaker 4: No, you don't. And I wasn't actually working.
Speaker 3: I worked for thirty years for the Coffeeville School District and I never I wasn't a teacher per se. I was their director of Indian Education and I had also worked as a secretary. But I'm telling you, and it is true, teachers, that is a calling. It's almost like becoming going in the medical field.
Speaker 4: I think it is a true. No, they don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can see people becoming in the medical field thinking they're going to make some money at this. But yeah, It's kind of a thankless job in a way. And the only thing I think that games you going, and I didn't. I thought, Okay, I'm not a teacher. I was.
Speaker 5: I was a teacher.
Speaker 4: I really was. Even as a secretary. You've got kids. You're interacting with these students and they look to you as an example.
Speaker 3: And I was a debate and forensics coach, speech coach for seventeen years and the best thing that can happen is when these kids they stay in.
Speaker 4: Contact with you. I am.
Speaker 3: I still have friends on It's amazing that I see students and they still call me missus Crane. I'm like, okay, you're forty five years old, now you can you know, you can call me by my first name.
Speaker 4: It's it was.
Speaker 3: Hard for me because I went to school in Coffeeville and I'm working with the those teachers and I still called I had a hard time calling them first names. It was always you know, missus so or mister so and so. But knowing that you probably made an impact on their life in some small way, yeah, I mean, it doesn't have to be anything huge if they remember you, or you see stuff on Facebook where somebody says teachers or somebody that inspired me and it just it makes you feel good.
Speaker 2: I think we all have somebody in our lives like that that.
Speaker 4: Inspired us something, oh exactly, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think that's where teachers are in a rule, because I mean, who spends more time with your kids on their parents? Usually they're at school. And so you know, if you have good teachers, all the difference in the world.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: So this program of good New Ecor, where do you see it headed becoming more involved in our communities? Do you see it being adopted on a broader scale?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 3: They're just you know, starting out here that they got they got it signed in and they and they're this is the first really full year that they're trying to do and meet these goals that they've set for themselves. I think as looking forward, I think things will become easy. I would love the idea of you know, everything is based in Tahlequah. It would be great if we had more things up here up north.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, just you know that we can do stuff.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, I'm hoping that that's going to happen in the future, that we could have some areas up here that we can take care of things. And but we all, like you said, Goodog, we all work together and get our direction from the main place in Tallequan. Maybe some other I mean, there's reservation goes farther south in Taallequa, so maybe they need areas down there even farther south. Right now, I think that they're looking at. Like I said, the education portion is just a couple of reading camps. I'm hoping that there would be that would be wonderful if we could do maybe four or five reading camps and people have or something and plan them during these school year or things like that.
Speaker 2: Summer programs would be a good idea because how many times do kids go on summer vacation. Yeah, they don't do any sort of supplemental learning. But I'm not saying, you know, don't make it some sort of drab, dreary things. You know, you're basically running a kid's vacation. Make it something that's engaging, make it something that's fun making exactly they're going to want to learn.
Speaker 4: But I and it's I think a lot of it.
Speaker 3: The volunteer is a portion is very very important because, like I said, we have college students when you for example, Cherokee Nation. The scholarship each semester is twenty five hundred dollars, but you are required to keep a certain GPA, pass a certain number of credit hours, and do twenty five hours of community service. You do an hour of service for every hundred dollars you receive, and but you don't have to pay the money back.
Speaker 4: That's it. I mean, that's fantastic.
Speaker 3: My daughter, my daughter took back when it was two thousand a semester and she did it and funded college that way, and it's amazing. But she really enjoyed the volunteers in portion. She had no trouble doing it. At the time it was twenty hours a semester. That's not a lot of hours, no, And I can promise you we have plenty of just at South Coffee Villa, at NAFI, there's always stuff for us to do. And we're lucky enough in the summertime we get summer youth through Cherokee Nation that they come in and work part times.
Speaker 4: So it's all good.
Speaker 2: So, Chris, I want to thank you for being on the show today. Yeah, before we go, we have a few announcements. Don't forget to check out our Cherokee Community Facebook pages for the latest events, news and meetings. Washington Kind of Cherokee Association, Cherokee Cultural Community in Dewey, and we a Cherokee Community Foundation as a Native American Fellowship in South Colckinville. I encourage everyone, whether Cherokee or not, to fight a community and get involved. I don't know whoever your people are, you know, you maybe Rotarians, maybe the Kowanas Club. You know, just get involved in your community because it's one of the most rewarding things that you can do. Also, check out the Delaware website not stage Facebook pages. I ask our listeners not to forget the Teton Trade Cloth Store located in the Johnstone Sarah Building or the location at the Eastland Shopping Center. You can also shop online at tetantrade cloth dot com. Cherokee Nation has two official offices open the Cherokee Cultural Community and Dewey to serve the Cherokee people. A Career Services Office and Cherokee Nation Human Resources Office, both located at seven hundred East Durham and Dewey. The Career Services Office is open Monday through Friday from eight to five. The Human Resources office is open Monday Wednesday and Friday from eight to five. Of course, I doubt day either one will be opening the Thursday or Friday of this week, but catch them next week because I'm sure they'll have their doors wide open. The Washington County Cherokee Association, Roshelida is offering free Cherokee language courses there every Saturday from ten am to noon by Matthew Church. He's a wonderful instructor and graduate of the Cherokee Language Program. We're located just east of the Kuiskui Health Clinic on County Road twenty nine hundred. Just as a note, we will not be having language courses over the next couple of weeks due to the holidays. We were zoom classes beginning December fourteenth, and once again, everyone is welcome. We'd love to see you there. Also, be sure to catch our friend Chris Crane on Friybred Journeys in the mighty six ninety KGGF. Check out their Facebook page. Chris tell them when that you can tune into your show.
Speaker 3: You're on the first and third Mondays here at nine forty five. I'm on the first and third Mondays on KGGF AM six ninety at nine ten until nine forty that's right, So yeah, I have, I do have.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: Then you turn around at nine forty five and tune in here and listen to you, and I will tell you. Monday, I will have District twelve Tribal councilor dor Patskowski will be my guest, and we're going to talk about some of the things she's been doing in her district.
Speaker 2: So I ask everyone tune into our next broadcast, need to Beat at nine forty five in the morning next Monday, December second. A big wadeau. As we say in Cherokee, wado to you. Chris cream one is she is the Delaware would say, WANSI is the Osage would say, And it's all of you listening. Do to do goha e until we meet again.
Speaker 5: Presidential and Commercial Plumbing Colin Mason's Plumbing. We're serving you with their priority kwo in Bartlesville K two twenty seven c Q Bartlesville K two thirty six c t PAHUSCA.
Speaker 2: This is CBS