Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, Welcome, welcome, welcome, and time now for our community connection right here on Kay one, the one you trust. Got a very special guest on the line with this and you might have heard him on our air waves a few years back. More Sullivan. How you doing, sir?
Speaker 2: I'm good, Tom. How are you?
Speaker 1: I am wonderful. We've got a big, big event, a festival coming up this weekend in Bahaska. Tell us a little bit about it.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see first Pahusco Western Swing Festival and we're going to be there on Friday evening at the Fairgrounds building. And I say we the Brazes Valley Boys, which was Hank Thompson's band who is in the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, and he wanted me to carry on the band. So that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Well wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we play western swing with most people from Oklahoma know what western swing is, but for those who don't, it's kind of a usion of country and jazz with blues and big band swing thrown in. So it's a little bit of an inclusive music that's something for everybody.
Speaker 1: It's purely American, that's for sure. It is, so tell us what can we expect from from this this big presentation that we're waiting for.
Speaker 2: Well, they have on Friday night, of course, we'll be there. On Saturday. They have a fiddle contest wow that anyone can can enter into their prizes and all. There's also a documentary that's been shown about the history of Western swing music and that'll be shown at the Constantine Theater and the fiddle contest is at Constantine as well, but that'll be on Saturday. Both of those things on Saturday. And a group called Oklahoma Swing they'll be there on Saturday night.
Speaker 1: Wonderful Now with your band, it's got to be a lot of fun. Now. I still see a lot of Texas Swing and a lot of what we call that that that genre music being performed all over the Southwest, and it is still as popular as it ever was.
Speaker 2: It is. It's a very very energetic music. It's got an infectious beat to it. Great for dancing. Uh. And we have been doing this a long time. I've got a nine piece band and we've got saxophone, trumpet, steel guitar, fiddles, soul, piano, the whole thing. So we play a I guess a variety of Western swing. I mean there's Western swing and then you can if you want to, you can dissect it if if you want to. I don't like to, but if you want to. So we will play on the country side of Western swing for a while, then we'll play on the big band side for western for a while because we do things like a train from Duke Ellington Aston Street Blues, which is a Dixieland band a song that and Dixieland is very prominent in Western swing music. That beat and that feel of Dixieland. And so we invite everybody out to be with us. We'd love to see you come up to the band sand and talk to us. We love to interact with folks. Uh and uh. Like I say, We're going to start at eight and go to eleven on Friday evening. They're at the Fairgrounds building in Pehusca.
Speaker 1: Now, how can people get tickets just right at the door? Can we get them in advance?
Speaker 2: They can get them at the door, but they can also go online to Pehustal Western Swing Festival dot com.
Speaker 1: That's easy to remember, yeah.
Speaker 2: And and buy tickets there as well. So, and we really would like to see I have I've had a lot of friends from Bartlesville over the years, and I'd love to see some of them over there, so I would invite them to come on over.
Speaker 1: I tell you what this sounds like. It's going to be one of those things that will keep on going. Hopefully this will be one of the things we have every year that'd be kind of heat if we could.
Speaker 2: Do that, I think it will. We just played a festival in Fort Worth over the weekend and there on their fourth year, and it was a packed house, just packed of all people of all ages. Because it attracts people of all ages, and so I hope I feel that they will continue it and it'll be a great addition to northeast Oklahoma and what you all do there now.
Speaker 1: Fort Worth a buddy of mine, Steve Marquard, has got a band and he plays that circuit all the time and he just loves taking that swing the western swing music all over the place. But he calls that home base and he says he you haven't really danced till you danced in Fort Worth. And I'm going, well, okay, I'll take your word for it, but I'll dance a posca.
Speaker 2: Steve was Steve was there. Oh, he was good at the Fort Worth because that was his brother, Mike and Steve with this one on. Oh they did, yeah, Yeah, they're the promoter and the organizer of it, and so Steve was on stage on We were there on Saturday night. He was there Friday night, but I did get to meet him and talk to him for a second.
Speaker 1: Interesting guy.
Speaker 2: They've done a great job. And this documentary that I mentioned is the documentary that Steve and Mike produced, Hobby Dog on. Yeah, they'll be showing at the Constantine on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Great, hey, Morty, thanks for stopping buy and visiting with us, and let's kick out. Let's kick up a storm and have ourselves a great time this weekend.
Speaker 2: We are going to have a great time, So we invite everybody over.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Tom, Thank you, Thanks Tom very much.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. All right, folks, you've been listening to our community connection on K one.