Speaker 1: Welcome back to Purpose Before Performance. Today, I'm excited to welcome back Mrs. Baldwin to the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you so much for having me again.
Speaker 1: But those who meet you for the first time, can you introduce yourself?
Speaker 3: Yes, I am Joy Baldwin. I am an actress, model. I love theater, film, and fashion. And I'm right here in.
Speaker 2: Houston, Texas. So, yeah, that is who I am.
Speaker 3: And I can't wait to share what I have going on. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: When we first spoke, you were beginning your acting and also working in a corporate world. So what has changed since then?
Speaker 3: I feel like so much has changed in a positive way.
Speaker 2: I've had another baby.
Speaker 1: Congratulations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much. So now we are a family of four children. I have pivot from corporate.
Speaker 2: I've been very.
Speaker 3: Heavily focused on fashion, getting creative outfits and just being audacious.
Speaker 2: Showing people to just be themselves out there. I'm still acting.
Speaker 3: Going further into the entertainment industry now, I'm going to take my skill set and transition myself into maybe.
Speaker 2: More behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: Now that I've been on film sets, theater sets, I've come to discover that I really love behind the scenes and everything that goes into putting productions together, um, wardrobe, styling. I've fallen in love with behind the scenes and, and, um, and I still love being in front of the camera and acting, don't get me wrong, but I definitely appreciate everything that goes.
Speaker 2: Into putting a production.
Speaker 3: Together, whether it's film or theater, you know, or even social media content, even skits, you know, I have a Profound love for, you know, people that just come up with ideas and figure out how to bring it to life.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that is where I am.
Speaker 3: Now in my entertainment career. I don't want to just say acting because I don't want to box myself. I do so much more than just acting.
Speaker 1: Did you have a moment or when was the moment when you realized, OK, this is something I want to do? Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe after I did like quite a few projects, um, last, in 2024, I didn't even realize it, but I had did like over 10 projects, and I'm like, wow, I didn't even know I had did this many, I just was ramping up, I was booking, booking, booking, doing theater, uh, lots of theater gigs, and, and that's when I realized, I'm like, oh, I really love, I, I got to do, um, I got to be a stage manager and do some production assistance on one of my.
Speaker 2: Film theater projects.
Speaker 3: It was with One Step Productions.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Andra Taylor, the director. And shout out to her. She's moved into the film sector. Like, oh, my God. Amazing. Amazing. So shout out to Andra Taylor. Shout out to Andra Taylor. You can check her.
Speaker 3: Latest movie out on Tubi called Killer Kids.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 3: My daughter was actually an extra in that movie. It's called Killer Kids out on TV. But it was when I was a stage manager for one of her productions.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, wow, I really enjoy this.
Speaker 3: I really can see myself positioning myself into doing this like as a career, you know, being stagehands and being behind the scenes and really just being a support in any way possible. necessary to bring life to the production to level up the quality of a production set and I'm like oh yeah I'm all about quality I'm all about leveling up I'm all about you know professionalism and I think that's because of my HR background I have a 10-year background in HR human resources for people who don't know what HR means in the corporate world. And I'm just like, how can I integrate this skillset that I have with working with so many different businesses, organizations, how can I bring that to the entertainment industry? Um, I feel like, you know, we can always, you know, intertwine our skillsets. And so that was the moment for me, like just, um, being the stage manager, really seeing what goes into putting a production on behind the scenes and doing a sound, helping with sound and having a microphone to me and, you know, telling people when to get on stage and when to come on stage.
Speaker 2: And, you know, it just was really like the.
Speaker 3: Moment of, I think I can really do this professionally. You know, so thank you so much for asking me.
Speaker 2: You know, when was the moment?
Speaker 3: And, you know, just being interested into, you know, my post and the things that I'm doing.
Speaker 1: That's good that you're able to reflect on it. Was there ever a season when you questioned your purpose?
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to say 2020, this year, 2026. So it has been one of those seasons seasons where I'm like doing a lot of reflecting, a lot of like, thank you God for showing me what I can do. You know, when I really think about it and I sit back and I go into like solitude mode, I get those answers.
Speaker 2: From the higher up.
Speaker 3: When I really sit with myself and I really reflect. And that is why I know I'm like, I should be pivoting. I feel like I should be moving.
Speaker 2: Away from corporate and.
Speaker 3: Going into the entertainment industry and really pouring into my community, pouring into my family first, myself, my family, and my community.
Speaker 2: Those are the top three.
Speaker 3: Things that I've been doing in a hard season of questioning my purpose. You know, like really, I do believe that we should pour back into the children. And I do feel like that's a message that God has been putting on my heart for some time now. And the more I sit with myself, the more I journal, the more I ask questions, and the more I show gratitude.
Speaker 2: Thank you for waking me up, God. Thank you for my visions.
Speaker 3: Thank you for planting these messages into my heart. Going outside, touching grass. When I do these things, I feel like God really starts to reveal the answers that I ask him. And he pushes me and shows me, this is what you do next. This is where you go next. This is who you meet with next.
Speaker 2: And I listen. And I oblige. Let me fill myself.
Speaker 3: Up so that I can fill you up so that we can fill.
Speaker 2: Each other up.
Speaker 3: I'm never like on some, what can I just do for myself? And That's what brings me back to the point of working with children. Heavily working with children because they're our future.
Speaker 2: They're going to be taken over.
Speaker 3: And we got to train them in the way that they must go. Like, we got to be there for them, you know. And I think that that's been a big part of why I think I need to be working with children and being in the forefront.
Speaker 1: What does purpose before performance mean to you?
Speaker 2: Purpose before performance.
Speaker 3: I love that question. And I know that that is one of your mantras.
Speaker 2: That's it. And it's very deep. It's very deep.
Speaker 3: You need to understand or at least try your best to understand, you know, why are you here?
Speaker 2: What piece of the puzzle Are you supposed to be? You know, because the.
Speaker 3: Way I think of life and myself is I'm a piece to the puzzle. I am a piece to a bigger picture. It's not just about me. Purpose before performance means to me.
Speaker 2: I think you need to be true to yourself.
Speaker 3: I think in whatever you're doing, you need to be true to yourself and not necessarily performing.
Speaker 2: Like if you are an actor, sure, yes, perform.
Speaker 3: But like when it comes to having a partner, a spouse, friendships, girlfriends, a network, I wholeheartedly believe.
Speaker 2: You should not be performing.
Speaker 3: I wholeheartedly believe that you should be putting that purpose before performance in those type of relationships. If you're performing and you're putting on and you're trying to like meet certain expectations or things of that nature, I don't think that's I don't necessarily think that that's what you should be doing. And if you are, then you need to question the network or the people you're around.
Speaker 2: You know, like if it's true, if it's true.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't have to perform.
Speaker 2: You should be yourself.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Mrs.
Speaker 1: Baldwin, for being on purpose before performance. How can the listeners contact you?
Speaker 2: Fashiongasm, that is what it's all about.
Speaker 3: So you can follow me on Instagram.
Speaker 2: It's Mrs. Baldwin's blog. you can also reach me.
Speaker 3: On facebook joy baldwin and and thank you so much thank you for the exposure and this platform means so much to me.
Speaker 1: You're welcome anytime and thank you again for sharing your journey and just allowing us to step into your world and witness this next chapter for you and your artistry keep working on your purpose don't stop because your purpose is your power Oh yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: My purpose is my power.