Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Thursday, September twelfth.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Glad you're getting your day started with us. Get another nice, cool morning for you. Such a nice change. I didn't even turn on my air conditionery yesterday for the first time in weeks.
Speaker 3: My pocketbook is going to be happy about that.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine how high people's electric bills are going to be because of this heat wave.
Speaker 3: It's going to be crazy. We're going to keep you updated on all.
Speaker 1: The fires throughout the air up throughout the hours, so not to worry about that. And of course we'll get you where you need to go with traffic. Nick Poliochinio will have you covered on that part. And we've got some really exciting things happening in space.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you about that in just a second.
Speaker 1: Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call and the latest on the fires burning in southern California. A fire that started in San Gabriel Canyon has grown over fifty thousand acres, burned thirty three homes in Mount Baldy and Right Wood, and destroyed six cabins in wilderness areas. The fire has been burning since Sunday. It's spread into San Bernardino County and is still zero percent contained. It's the largest active fire burning in the state. The fire in the San Bernardino Mountains has grown to thirty six thousand acres.
Speaker 3: It's eighteen percent surrounded.
Speaker 1: In Orange County, the fire that started in Tribuco Canyon and spread into Riverside County has burned more than twenty three thousand acres. It is five percent surrounded. Four people charged in the shooting death of former General Hospital actor Johnny Whackter has pleaded guilty to attempted robbery and grand theft. Two other eighteen year olds are charged with murder. Whacktor was shot in downtown LA in May when he confronted the men who were allegedly trying to steal his car's catalytic converter viewership for the Trump Harris presidential.
Speaker 3: Debate was huge.
Speaker 1: Fifty seven million people watch the showdown between former President Trump and Vice President Harris on Tuesday night. That's nearly ten million more than the number that watched the debate in June between President Biden and Trump. We'll be checking in with ABC's Karen Travers to find out what the candidates are up to and where they're headed to next. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I mentioned that things were happening in.
Speaker 5: Space FACEXES go for spacewalk operations before advisors down ready for secondary Otubo initiation and crew is go for spacewater.
Speaker 1: The crew of the SpaceX Polaire mission has made history by completing the world's first all civilian spacewalk. The crew is made up of billionaire entrepreneur Jared Isaacman, retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Scott Petite known as Kid, and SpaceX engineers Sarah Gillis and Anna Mennon. Isaacman, who funded the flight and Gillis, began their roughly thirty minute spacewalks just after three o'clock this morning our time. The Polaris Dawn mission is designed to test procedures and technologies that could be used in future long duration space missions.
Speaker 3: So cool. Okay, back to the fires.
Speaker 1: The fire that started in the Angelus National Forest above Glendora has grown to more than fifty thousand acres. As I mentioned, still zero percent surrounded. Firefighters say they've been able to make some progress because of a slight increase in humidity and the decrease in temperatures. The north side of the fire has remained the most active. Evacuation orders are still in place for the East Fork communities of Camp Williams Resort and River Community, and for Mountain Baldy, right Wood and Pinion Hills. Several homes have burned. The Mountain High Ski Resort was spared. Resort employees turned on snowmaking machines before they left the area. Fire has been burning since Sunday afternoon. Firefighters say the change in weather has helped them battle the fire in the San Bernardino Mountains, but CalFire Operations Chief Jed Gains says neighbors should stay vigilant because contion conditions could change at any time.
Speaker 6: We're still a couple miles out from Big Bear, but as you know, it doesn't take much for where it's aligned and where the fire is established in that Bear Creek drainage to come out onto that La Mesa Bluff up there near Boulder.
Speaker 1: Gaines says the lower temperatures, higher humidity, and more favorable winds have been beneficial.
Speaker 3: Over the past two days.
Speaker 1: The fires burned more than thirty six thousand acres and is eighteen percent surrounded. Governor Newsom has declared a state of emergency in each of the counties affected by the major wildfires. Newsom says the state is deploying every available resource to fight the three fires in southern California. Thorty say anyone who lives near the fire zone should pay attention to all evacuation orders and warnings. Taylor Swift and Post Malone have won the biggest award of the MTV Video Music Awards. They got the trophy for Video of the Year last night for Fortnite. Swift thanked a lot of people, including pro football player Travis Kelsey.
Speaker 6: I would always just hear like someone like cheering and like.
Speaker 7: Woo from across the studio where.
Speaker 1: We were shooting it, and that one person was my boyfriend Travis h Swift won a total of seven awards last night. She now has the most VMAs of all time with thirty.
Speaker 3: That's one more than Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to a Swifty. I just heard good morning, Karen Travis.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 8: Yes, I was listening to that piece with great interest because I fell asleep last night.
Speaker 3: Oh you didn't see it. I did not see it.
Speaker 8: I will need to watch the clips today, but my kids will be excited to watch it with me later tonight.
Speaker 3: Love it, love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, fresh off the debate YEARNS Vice President Harris is going back on the campaign trail. Before they do that, though, they're taking a little time to strategize.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, yesterday was a down day for politics, the nine to eleven anniversary. There's always a pause in campaigning or politics in DC as the nation commemorates and remembers what happened on that day and just pauses for a little bit. So we didn't see any campaign activity yesterday, but today they're back at it. We're going to see the Vice president doing two rallies in North Carolina tomorrow. She's in Pennsylvania. But the campaign was strategizing yesterday about how they could take advantage of what they think is momentum coming out of the debate.
Speaker 3: They feel that it was a decisive.
Speaker 8: Win over Donald Trump, and now they're starting what they are calling a more aggressive campaigning stage.
Speaker 3: More aggressive, more aggressive, right.
Speaker 8: I mean you think about it though, Like she was down for a couple of days heading into the debate. There was the convention that took a lot of attention in her time, and she was preparing for the debate even before the convention. Now it's really like the traditional campaign look where we're just going to see her Governor Walls and the other surrogates doing rally rally, rally, rally, lots of local media interviews, lots of constituent voter outreach, you know, events like that. But you know, the big message we're getting from campaign officials is the debate didn't change the race. You know, the trajectory of the race is still the same.
Speaker 3: It's a very very tight race.
Speaker 8: The battlegrounds are very close, and as she put it herself the other night at that debate watch party that she visited, we've got a lot of work to do. They put out a fundraising email yesterday and said debates don't win elections. They've got to get out there and do the hard work.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, you mentioned that she is planning to do local media interviews that only affects certain pockets. So is she going to be doing any more national interviews.
Speaker 8: It's not clear. You know, this new phase, we're told that she will be doing more media engagements, but primarily targeting battleground states and others very specific you know, important voting groups. We are told that they have local media interviews set up for the coming days, So I think we will have to just be paying attention to see where they pop up in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, probably Wisconsin. But you know, that's the strategy for the campaigns at this stage. Doing a big national interview gets you so much, but doing a very specifically targeted interview in the top market in the battleground state, that's important to get the attention that they want in those really critical areas.
Speaker 1: There's still a lot of talk after the debate that she really didn't answer questions, that she you know, just switched topics and people still don't really know what she stands for. Is her campaign going to address that and is she prepared for in some of those smaller town interviews, I would imagine somebody's going to be trying to really get some answers.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think that's probably a focus to do those types of interviews where you can drill down to a specific policy issue that is critical for that era. But you know, I think they'll say now, like, we're going to be out there on the trail talking to voters directly, and this is going to be the focus over the next two months at this point. You know, I think in terms of where the questions answered, you know that New York Times poll that said twenty eight percent of Americans wanted to hear more from her in the debate or in general, they want to hear more about her policies. We haven't seen good polling yet since the debate, so we've got to give it a couple of days. But that's going to be a big question. Did she answer that in her performance on Tuesday night?
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's the big question. What's the campaign saying about the Taylor Swift endorsement.
Speaker 8: I mean, they're very thrilled, they're surprised, actually, and it also it came as a surprise. They truly were not anticipating it that night.
Speaker 3: I think they were.
Speaker 8: Hoping it was going to come at some point before election day, but they weren't anticipating it coming in the minutes after the debate and that endorsement. She did make it clear that, you know, Taylor said, I watched the debate tonight, and so you know she's paying attention. The other notable thing too, the st I just want to make sure I get the number right too, and I'm going to pull it up here in my email that you know, she directed people in her post to go and register to vote and look up early voting statistics, and we were told yesterday that there had been about three hundred and forty thousand visitors to vote dot gov. That came from the url that she created and shared.
Speaker 1: So I love her absolutely, Okay, And before I let you go, we were talking about the nine to eleven and they took some time off and what we didn't see, which was politics yesterday, but what we did see was a handshake.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they shook hands yesterday. I thought that was it was a good yeah, especially Aberg seemed to kind of coordinate that. But a handshake between the vice president and the former president Donald Trump at the ceremony at the Work Trade Center site in New York yesterday.
Speaker 1: All Right, ABC's Karen Travis, thanks so much, have a great day. All Right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A woman who was allegedly drunk when her daughter died in a hot car, and Anaheim lost two kids to a drunk driver years ago.
Speaker 7: Sandra Hernandez allegedly had a blood alcohol level four times the legal limit, which she was found passed out in the car where their three year old daughter in the back seat. Orange County DA spokesperson kimberly Ed says temperatures outside Friday were about one hundred and four degrees.
Speaker 5: And obviously we're much much higher inside of a locked vehicle with the outdoor temperatures being that high.
Speaker 7: The woman's ex husband says she was struggling with the loss of their two boys, who were hidden killed by a drunk driver in twenty twelve. If convicted of involuntary manslaughter, she faces a maximum of twelve years in prison.
Speaker 3: Chris Adler kf I News that one is tragic all the way around.
Speaker 1: A sixty four year old former referee and coach from Huntington Beach has pleaded guilty to charges that he hit a camera to take pictures of an underage girl in his care, and also persuaded a second child in another country to send him nude photos of herself. Former American Youth Soccer Organization coach Mark Oster is facing between fifteen and thirty years in prison when he sentenced in November. Reconviction of a Chinese owned real estate company's been upheld by a federal appeals court in La. The company shen Zhen was convicted in twenty twenty two of paying former La City councilman Jose weees Are more than one and a half million dollars in cash, gambling, trips, and escorts in exchange for the councilman support of a planned hotel project in downtown La. The company wanted to redevelop the La Grand Hotel into the city's tallest skyscraper. Campbell's Soup is going the way of the Dodo sort of. After one hundred and fifty five years, the company is dropping the soup part and we'll just be called the Campbell's Company. Campbell's owns snack brands, Goldfish Snyders of Hanover, Cape Cod and Pepperidge Farm.
Speaker 3: They also owned Prego.
Speaker 1: The company says it's snacks sales are up thirteen percent, while soups grew just three percent. Campbell's more than Soup. Maybe that would be good, a new good tagline for them. Okay, some quick thinking by Mountain High Ski Resort or may have saved their lives and also saved the ski resort. I love this story because there's so many awful stories tied to all these fires. So we saw the pictures of the Mountain High Ski Resort and the flames going through the resort, and at one point they thought the resort was lost, but it wasn't because of some fast work by the employees. Before they got out, they turned on the snow cannons. Normally they're making snow, this time they just shot water into the air and those cannons were like makeshift firefighting tools and saved the ski resort. So good on you, Mountain High Ski Resort workers. Three wildfires burning in southern California have grown so big they can be seen from space. Pictures from a Noah satellite show Plumes of smoke coming from the more than thirty six thousand acre fire in the San Bernardino Mountains, the near fifty thousand acre fire that's burning in right Wood and Mount Baldy and around there. And the twenty three thousand acre fire that started in Orange County and has crossed into Riverside County, burning towards Lake Elsinore year, Ol dad accused of kidnapping his nine month old son has been arrested. Police say David Avalos took his son early yesterday morning at Huntington Park, which prompted an Amber alert. The boy was found two hours later, and police then tracked down and arrested Avalos. In Los Angeles, California, AG Rob Bonte is among forty two attorneys general who are urging Congress to pass legislation that would implement the US Surgeon General's idea to put warning labels on social media. At six o five at Handle on the News, are you ready for an extreme weather event? A lot of homeowners say they are not prepared. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Tom Rivers.
Speaker 4: Tom.
Speaker 1: US Secretary of State Antony Blincoln has met with Ukraine's President Zelenski.
Speaker 3: What was the purpose of that one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was here in London, and he went with the new British Foreign Secretary, David Lammy to Kiev surprise surprise, handing over more money to Kiev, this time to the tune of seven hundred million of US taxpayer dollars eighty million of British taxpayer dollars. This particular time, they discussed the uh, if it will the plea by Zelensky that he wants US LED Western long range missiles to be allowed to go far into Russia, and again both of them said Lammy and Mike Gan said that that will be discussed between the new Prime Minister here Cures Starmer, and the President Biden when the two meet up in Washington on Friday. So case's kind of following I guess a script that seems pretty predictive, but we wait to see what the outcome will be tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is the US and the UK. Are they leaning one way or the other or do we know?
Speaker 4: Interesting they're they're they're kind of playing the neutral umpire at this stage. Interesting input though from Dmitry Peskov in Moscow, the Kremlin spokesman. He said, it's kind of following a pattern whereby this decision in his view was made long ago and it will just be rolled out in the coming coming days and weeks. So watching space on that. A couple of weeks ago, Sergei Lavrov, Foreign Secretary said, you're playing with a box of matches, and you know, you really are playing with fire on this one nuclear powered Russia. And of course if there is some retribution, which Moscow says there will be, you won't feel it in Los Angeles, but maybe parts of Western Europe will, so.
Speaker 1: It could really so Ukraine is attacking and firing things into Russia. We know that there have been drone attacks and that kind of stuff, and they've taken over territory, but not using US missiles.
Speaker 4: That's the distinction they have on very very limited use. But again, the Ukraine really wants, you know, Western consultants in there to go, you know, plot courses, you know, go deep into Russia and then have a grab a Ukrainian by the hand and put their thumb on the button and launch it. It is a very very dangerous escalation at this point, and it is very very scary, and I think it's kind of sleep walking into this. It certainly hasn't come out in the in the US campaign. But people should take notice of this because it is very, very extremely dangerous and nobody's nobody's really talking about which.
Speaker 1: Is so while we're talking to you now, because it does it does sound like a pretty big escalation of where we're not supposed to be involved with and how how is the war going? I mean, is is Ukraine gaining any ground? Is Russia continuing to push We're not hearing much about it. Again.
Speaker 4: No, occasionally you hear some some American reports, some cheerleaders are saying that, you know, Ukraine's no, we just had blinked in Poland saying that Ukraine is winning and that is not the case. On the ground. Russia is pushing Ukraine forces back on the six hundred and twenty mile line, the line of confrontation in eastern Ukraine. Russia has stabilized the incursion into Kursk, and that's where it lies right now. And I think the Democrats are going to be just holding their breath that nothing dramatically changes before the fifth of November. They've been through Afghanistan and the chaos of the withdrawal there. They don't want another black mark, if you will, in Ukraine before voting.
Speaker 1: Day yeah, okay, and you mentioned kurs So they're stabilizing that because I think the last time we talked, the Ukrainians had taken more territory in Russia. So they're not pushing forward in Russia anymore, and are they being pushed back in Russia.
Speaker 4: It is pretty stable. The hope from the Ukrainian side is that Russia would pull out some of its forces in Ukraine to augment forces in that part that region of Russia to push the Ukrainians out. That did not happen. The Russians continued with their push through eastern Ukraine and they've been supplementing with some reinforcements, but not from Ukraine to deal with the with the incursion and cursed. So, you know, a lot of military analysts will saying, you know, it is the versionary. It's taken a lot of focus, it's written some headlines, but in the bigger picture, it's not helping the Ukrainian war effort to combat Russia. It is. It is. It's an interesting side show, it is.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's more like just to make a point, I guess, but it's really not changing anything, at least it doesn't appear.
Speaker 4: To be correct, exactly, Okay, exactly.
Speaker 1: And so we're expecting to hear from the US and the UK on whether they're going to green light Zelenski's plans to use those missiles to strike farther into Russia sometime maybe tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Maybe tomorrow. Yeah. So yeah, as I say, we've been hearing this same kind of language and Lund in Kiev and in Warsaw today saying where we're looking at it, we're scratching our heads and yeah, you know, keep your radar on tomorrow and see exactly what comes out of this meeting of the leaders of the US and the UK.
Speaker 1: Okay, Tom Rivers, thank you so much. As always, we appreciate the information. Take care, all right. The City of La has moved a step closer to setting up a right to Council ordinance to provide legal help to renters who are facing eviction. City council members voted eleven to nothing yesterday to get the city attorney to revise a draft ordinance and get it back to the council for consideration. Under the proposal, the city would pay for eviction defense through the annual budget process or by using money from United to House LA Coalition A man accused of fatally stabbing a woman on a metro train near Studio City has been found mentally competent to stand trial. The woman was attacked in April while riding the train at about five am. She died on the platform at the Universal City station. Her accused, Killy killer, Elliot Nauden, was in court yesterday. He's charged with murder and first degree robbery. He could get life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted. Some Republicans say they're not happy with former President Trump's debate performance. ABC's Rachel Scott says there was a question about which version of Trump was going to show up on the debate stage Tuesday night.
Speaker 8: They wanted to see the former president stick to the issue, stay on message, not dip into conspiracy theories or promote false claims.
Speaker 1: Official ratings show sixty seven million people watched the debate. Justin Timberlakes expected to plead guilty tomorrow to a lesser charge following his d w I arrest in the Hamptons.
Speaker 4: The Pop superstars expected to plead guilty to a traffic infraction and pay a fine.
Speaker 1: ABC's Aeron Katurski says the officer who stopped Timberlake in June said the singer had slowed speech, was unsteady on his feet, and performed poorly on all the sobriety tests. Timberlake said he had one martini, and his attorney said he was and drunk. Yale is going to pay an undisclosed amount to dozens of patients who sued the school after a nurse at a fertility clinic swapped their anesthesia with sailing. Over ninety patients underwent extremely painful egg retrieval procedures because of it, so instead of having anesthesia, they got sailing. The nurse who was convicted of tampering with the clinic's anesthesia supply did it, apparently because of an addiction to fentanel. Hey, I don't know that I would ever be addicted to this kind of thing. Rock climbing, repelling, But we're going to do that. Neil Savadra and I are going over the edge for the Union Rescue Mission. What is it. Well, we're going to repel twenty five stories down from the Hilton Universal City Hotel. We're doing it on September twenty seventh. We're doing it to raise money for the Union Rescue Mission to fight homelessness, which, as we all know, is just out of control. Seventy five thousand homeless people in LA and we can't help all of them, but we can help one, and your donation can help one. So if you just like set your sits on and say, I can't help everybody, but if I donate twenty bucks or fifty bucks, I can help like one person. And that's gonna also help bolster us to go over the Edge on September twenty seventh. To make a donation, it's just help one dot org and then you can donate on the Team iHeart page. And there's also a fun little video on my Instagram at Amy Kking at amy Kking and also on the KFI Instagram at KFI Am six forty and then in the caption underneath the video there's also a link to donate.
Speaker 3: You can do it that way.
Speaker 1: But we're going over the edge to fight homelessness, and if you can donate twenty bucks or fifty bucks or ten bucks, I don't care. What we can do is just help one, and we'll do it one at a time and get these people off the street, the ones that want help.
Speaker 3: We hope you'll join us.
Speaker 1: Fire that started in San Gabriel Canyon has grown to over fifty thousand acres, burned thirty three homes in Mount Baldy and Rightwood, and destroyed six cabins in wilderness areas. The fire that has been burning since Sunday has spread into San Bernardino County. It's zero percent contained. It's the largest active fire burning in the state. Ten firefighters have been injured fighting the fire that started in Tribuco Canyon in Orange County and has grown to more than twenty three thousand acres. Most of the injuries are heat related. Cooler temperatures are expected to help firefighters battle the flames. Heading into the weekend, the fires crossed into Riverside County and is burning toward Lake Elsinore. Hurricane Francine has made landfall in Louisiana as a Category two storm. Power was knocked out to thousands yesterday as a potentially deadly storm surge pushed onto land. We're going to get the latest on how bad the South South coast is being hammered with ABC's Jim Ryan. That's coming up before the top of the hour at six oh five. It's handle on the news. The crew of SpaceX's Police Ris Dawn mission has done something no other civilians have ever done.
Speaker 3: Very cool at five point fifty.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned, we're going to find out how bad Louisiana and other southern states are getting hammered by Hurricane Francine. This week, I went out and about to a.
Speaker 3: Place that you won't believe your eyes. Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's called the World of Illusions. I tried to make it all cryptic and mysterious, failed miserably.
Speaker 3: Okay. So the World of Illusions is in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: It's right there, very close to all the Highland and what is it Vine and Hollywood and Vine Yeah, okay, and the Kodak Theater and all of that stuff.
Speaker 3: And in fact, you can park in that parking structure.
Speaker 1: But what it is is a permanent installation.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: They have all these pop up places that are big photo ops. This one's a permanent installation. And they say, step into Hollywood's famous World of Illusions with four unique experiences that you'll be sure to baffle your friends with. So they've got the Museum of Illusions, They've got the Giant's House, the Upside Down House, and then also Smash. We didn't do Smash, but we did the other three. And it's basically a giant photo op. So they say, do bring your camera because you take the pictures and they tell you where to take the pictures, and you then insert yourself into these optical illusions. And I got to tell you they're pretty good. My friend Amy and I went and we had a blast, and there's just it's hard to explain, but you know what an optical illusion looks like. They put you in a picture and it's really cool the way it's done, and they have it all set up so it says, here, take this picture here from this angle, and you'll get the right optical illusion, because if you don't do it right then it does work out. So along with the Illusion House, there's also the Giant's House, so they have like everything is ginormous, So like there's a coke can but it's ten feet tall and so you kind of peek over the edge of it, and there's a giant hamburger, there's a giant stiletto heel, and so then you look tiny in them. Then that's kind of fun. And then the other one is the upside Down House and I'm putting all of this up on Instagram so you can see some of the examples of the exhibit.
Speaker 3: The upside down House.
Speaker 1: They've got everything tacked up to the wall, so you take a picture and then in your camera you flip it and it looks like the picture is correct and you're like floating above it. It's it's very funky and it's very fun anyway, World of Illusions in Hollywood, they do have prices per experience, or you can group them so it's like thirty bucks for one, and I think we did three for seventy five dollars. Not inexpensive, but it is a cool photo op and it took us, I don't know. We did three of them and it took us about an hour and a half to get through them, and then we got, like I said, we got some really fun, memorable photos to take home. You can also do the VIP experience where you get a personal photographer. Like if you were going with a friend and you wanted to both be in all the pictures, or if you were going with a group and you wanted the whole group to be in the pictures, then you could have the personal photographer and he takes you around or she takes you around and does all the shots for you. But anyway, it was a fun way to spend the afternoon, something a little bit different from what I would normally do. Like I said, it's not inexpensive, but if you're really into like it would make for some fun social media posts or some fun pictures if you want to share them with friends. It's the world of illusions in Hollywood again, a permanent photo op and probably social media experience.
Speaker 3: That's where we went out and about this week.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The fight against the fire and the San Bernardino Mountains is being helped by better weather.
Speaker 5: Firefighters say they've benefitted from lower temperatures during the day, higher humidity, and more favorable wins. CAL Fire Operations Chief Jed Gaines says, though the fire is still a threat to be taken seriously.
Speaker 6: For those of you that are in evacuation warnings right now, have a plan, have your stuff packed, be ready to go at a moment's notice, and when it is time to go, we suggest you go.
Speaker 3: In San Bernardino. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The fires burned more than thirty six thousand acres. It's eighteen percent surrounded. Two alleged would be burglars have been arrested in San Bernardino County. Sheriffs Shannondika says they were trying to break into homes of people who left to get away from the wildfire.
Speaker 5: If you're going to be an opportunist in San Bernardino County and we catch you, you are going to jail my deputies and I will ensure that, and I know we have a DA that will prosecute you.
Speaker 1: The Sheriff's department is also arrested a guy from Norco accused of intentionally setting the fire last Thursday. In Highland, police in Riverside have taken a fifteen year old boy into custody on suspicion he made criminal threats against a high schoo pool in the city. Police officers were sent to Arlington High on Tuesday when a threat was allegedly made involving the Principle bullisay the threats were posted on social media. They say a search of the teen's home showed he did not have any weapons. How Speaker Mike Johnson has pulled a government funding bill from the House floor before a scheduled vote because it didn't have support. The bill includes a requirement that people registering to vote provide proof of citizenship. Congress needs to approve a short term spending plan to avoid a government shutdown at the end of the month. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer says Speaker Johnson should scrap his plan.
Speaker 8: The Speaker's proposal suffers from many fatal flaws. Above all, it omits and shortchanges so many critical programs that Americans rely on every day.
Speaker 1: Schumer says Republicans want the funding fight to go into the next administration. Nickelodeon is going to debut two new balloons for this year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade not that far away. One of the new balloons will be of the Firefighters Dalmation Pup Marshall from Paw Patrol. Also debuting this year will be a float and a balloon based on the new Paramount Plus series Dora, thoughts there already was a Dora the Explorer. Other Nickelodeon characters like SpongeBob SquarePants and the teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will also still be part of the parade. Tomorrow, the Dodgers take on the Braves in Atlanta. First pitch goes out at four twenty. You can listen to every game, actually every play of every game on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports. Three wildfires burning in southern California have torched vehicles, burned homes and buildings, and injured more than a dozen people. Parts of Big Bear and the entire communities of bright Wood and Mount Baldy are under evacuation orders because of the more than thirty six thousand acre and more than fifty thousand acre fires. A fire that started in Tribuco Canyon has left rubble and ash in its wake. It's burned more than twenty three thousand acres. It's five percent surrounded. Cooler weather is expected to help fire fighters fight the fires as we head into the weekend. The world's first all civilian spacewalk happened earlier this morning as part of the Polaris Dawn mission. The SpaceX mission sent four people into orbit including American billionaire Jared Isaacman. Exciting the crew dragon capsule on a tether, he noted, actually not exciting, exiting the Crew Dragon capsule on a tether, he said. Back home, we have a lot of work to do. But from here Earth sure looks like a perfect world.
Speaker 3: How exciting.
Speaker 1: We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning, Mountain High is still standing thanks to some quick thinking by workers at the ski resort. Now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 3: Not in space.
Speaker 1: Right here on Earth, where Hurricane Francis is pounding parts of the South.
Speaker 9: It is, but it's been downgraded dramatically. It came ashore, Im. He's a category two hurricane with wents around one hundred miles per hour down near Morgan City, between there and New Orleans. It quickly weakened as it moved over the land, over Lake Poncha Train and then into Mississippi. It's squarely in Mississippi now it's actually a tropical depression, so it's dropped even below the tropical storm status that it held this morning. It's winds around thirty five miles per hour and the pressure will gradually be rising there in Louisiana. As the storm moves to the north, it's going to head up into kind of the western tip of Tennessee, turning a little bit to the west from there into Missouri. So it's not done yet. A lot of flooding in Louisiana and that's to be expected, and still a lingering threat of tornadoes. The big job now, of course, is getting the power back on.
Speaker 3: How many people are out of power.
Speaker 9: Three hundred and ninety thousand right now. Those are customers that would be homes and businesses, could be an office building, an apartment complex, a single family home with gas station. So yeah, three hundred and ninety thousand outages in Louisiana right now. They're getting a lot in Mississippi now, fifty thousand over there, and then some in Alabama as well as the storm moves in that direction. Of course, it's important to get the power back on. Zoom. The more power that's on, the fewer people are using generators. The fewer people using generators, the lower the chance that somebody could die from carbon monoxide poisoning. As you know, I mean, most of the deaths and injuries from hurricanes happened well after the storm's gone.
Speaker 1: It's like, wasn't the earthquake in San Francisco? Didn't most of the people die from the fires, not their earthquake.
Speaker 9: That's my understanding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And Louisiana is New Orleans. Did it take a direct hit or did it kind of dodge that one?
Speaker 9: Well, the storm came in to the west of there, which means that New Orleans was on the quote dirty side of the storm.
Speaker 3: That is, it was a dirty side. Yeah, I haven't heard that.
Speaker 9: As you're looking down at the map of a hurricane, it's spinning in our hemisphere. It spins counterclockwise, right, so everything to the east on the east side as it ramps up over the water is going to be it takes a harder hit from this once it comes ashore, everything that's it's crossing across, you know, coming across the land, it's scraping and losing power, and then it picks up power again as it continues this counterclockwise rotation. So New Orleans it did take some flooding, but even there the flooding has subsided somewhat. The president of Jefferson Paris says that the pump system worked beautifully.
Speaker 1: We love to hear that, especially because you know, it's always a concern, especially because the New Orleans is technically underwater it is already. Yeah, and then is it expected to do much inland as it pushes it is it's really falling apart?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean it is falling apart, but that doesn't mean that the rain isn't gone. It's going to rain itself out essentially, and in areas where they've already had a lot of rain up in Arkansas and into Missouri, that can cause some problems. Even Louisiana has had some heavy rains recently, so flooding is still a con So those issues, the flooding, the lingering wind gusts, the possibility of tornadoes that always comes with a hurricane, and then of course the power outages. That's why they had power crews staging all over Louisiana before the storm came in, so that as soon as the wind dies down they can get those cherry picker trucks and trucks out there and start getting the lines reestablished.
Speaker 1: Okay, I nowas said that this is expected to be one of the worst hurricane seasons. Are they still expecting that or are we kind of heading to the tail end of it.
Speaker 9: Well, we're right at the midway point. I think two days ago we were at the calendar midpoint of hurricane season. And yeah, the prediction going in was that this would be a historically busy and active Atlanta hurricane season. That just hasn't happened yet. Francine was named storm number six, and way out there off the coast of Africa the West coast is tropical depression number seven, so that one may ramp up a couple of other little disturbances in front of that one, but we could still see some more activity this year. So yeah, don't count out to the Atlantic hurricane season.
Speaker 3: All right, Jim Ryan, thank you so much. Thanks Tomy.
Speaker 1: All right, talk to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four. Our newsroom cruise in Orange County been able to slow a more than twenty three thousand acre fire that started in Tribuco Canyon.
Speaker 3: We looked over the mountain and there was smoke coming out.
Speaker 2: Oscar Gomez has a ranch near Lake Elsinor where multiple homes were destroyed.
Speaker 10: And we thought, you know what, maybe it's just a few mountains away with then I want to say a minute, I looked up and the whole thing was on fire.
Speaker 2: The family immediately fled for cover.
Speaker 10: Man, we were just praying and hoping that, you know, our stuff wasn't gonna get burnt.
Speaker 2: Gomez says he lost a few goats to smoke inhalation, but dozens of horses, chickens, and other animals survived, but some of his neighbors' homes burned to the ground.
Speaker 3: I came pretty close.
Speaker 10: I mean, the fire came all the way to our property line, and somehow we were blessed, you know, and we're prayful for it.
Speaker 2: Since the fire started Monday, ten firefighters have been treated for minor injuries. In Lake elsinor Corbin Carson CAFI News.
Speaker 1: The fire that started in the mountin above Glendora and moved into San Bernardino County has burned through more than fifty thousand acres. The fire has been burning since Sunday afternoon and is zero percent surrounded. Fire officials say several homes and buildings in the Rightwood area have been impacted. They say the Mountain High ski resort was also affected by fire activity, but people who work there say the main lifts and buildings survived with little to no damage. Resort employees apparently thought to fire up the snowmaking machines before they left the area, and that made all the difference. A bill to ban octopus farming in California is now sitting on Governor Newsom's desk. Lawmakers passed the bill that would prohibit farming, import, and sale of octopuses in state waters or on land. Washington was the first state to pass a ban like this. Similar legislation has been proposed in the US Senate and also in Hawaii. The governor has until the end of the month to sign it into law. The Palm Springs Airport's efforts to go greener have gotten a five hundred thousand dollar boost. The FAA has awarded Palm Springs a half million dollars in grants to substitute gas powered vehicles at the airport with electric vehicles. This is KFI and kost HD, two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app