Speaker 1: It's nice Sime with Dan Ray on Z Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, them a little bit of fun here. Actually it's fun, but it's also serious. If you live in Somerville, they are charging people who have not shoveled their sidewalk. They're finding people and according to one report I think this is from Channel seven News, they have handed out already eight hundred and ninety four tickets since November, the vast majority of them obviously in the last few weeks. Really frustrating, really frustrating in my opinion, And they actually encourage a fellow residents to call and snitch on their neighbors. My neighbor does at every sidewalk shovel call three to one one. Let's keep rolling here if you'd like to join the conversation. I think it's it's really un American in my opinion. It's like, first, first of all, you don't own the sidewalk. The city owns the sidewalk, or the town owns the sidewalk in most communities says they owned the sidewalk, they should take care of it. If you're kind enough to shovel it, that's fine. But if you're not able to shovel it if you're someone who's a senior citizen, or someone the disability or someone who is just frankly, you know, house bound. Are you going to find that person? Angela Knewton Angelo, what's your thought on this?
Speaker 3: I agree with everything you say. Dan, I got quite a bit of say, you know, do you remember you ever remember the kids the sidewalk being shoveled when you walk to school?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah I did. Yeah. I think the sidewalks got shoveled. Not always, but there were plenty of days when you had to, you know, walk in the street to avoid the snow. I mean, yeah, I don't think it was I don't think it's ever been universal. What was your recollection?
Speaker 3: Well, I had a big issue with this over the city of Newton. I said, when I was a kid, I never saw a city side walks shovels. I always had a walk on the street. And I says, you know, you want us to shovel the sidewalks to the sidewalk belongs to you, guys, Well, if we have to shovel, a should belong to walk. And I saw elderly people. Okay, you're walking on the sidewalk and the people leave their cars overhanging the sidewalk, and I said, you know, those people had to turn around, walk all the way back to the next driveway that was opening, and had to walk out to the street. And then I says, we pay enough tax in the city of Newton. What's the city of Newton doing with all equipment?
Speaker 2: Oh well, well, I happen to agree with you that taxes are high in Newton. Is probably one of the highest real estate taxes in any city in the country, never mind Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I said to him, I says, well, he says, well, it's costing enough the money. And I said, you know why it's costing you guys money. I'll tell you right now why, Because I see it. The guys that using the sidewalk flows, they're not They're they're careless. I always see him going by. They're ripping up people's lawns. They're not seeing on the sidewalk where they should be. Of course, it is costing them money. And the and the sidewalks all the tree roots lift in the sidewalk and the expect people to walk on that. One ding, my sister was walking on the city sidewalk and the tree rooms step up the sidewalk, and she went for quick talk, believe it, and we argued about the city about it, and they never did anything about it. And he says, you always jumping on us, and what about everybody else? And you want us to shovel sidewalks, And how's anybody's buzzle to walk a side down the sidewalk when somebody keeps it back end or the cow out on the sidewalk.
Speaker 2: No, I got your points, Angel, you made good points, good arguments, and I appreciate you hearing from you as always. And oh it's I don't know if you ever gotten a ticket, but they're eight hundred and ninety four of some of the residents who have been given a ticket since November, and I think that's pretty unfair. I think they look.
Speaker 3: You know, thet's snow that we have four years ago, remember us snow that we have four years Okay. I was out two days straight, two days straight, and I didn't come home until the third day, and I found a ticket on my door. I had an argument with the city. I said, you put a ticket on my door and not three days I'll blow the snow, and you guys expect me to shovel my walk. Oh, if you don't do it twenty four hours, we're gonna find you. I says, no, that's not right, that's not Oh. I haven't been talked about this.
Speaker 2: I bet you did.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: I bet you did. Hey, Thanks, Angelo, appreciate you call. We'll talk soon. Thanks, buddy, appreciate it. Good.
Speaker 3: Okay, Dan, thank you my father. Good easy, bybye.
Speaker 2: Get it off your chest. And that's that is what you gotta do. Angelo. Let's go to John and Hanover. John and Hanover you next time nights. I go right ahead, Hey, Dan, Oya, I'm good, I'm good. What's your thought on this?
Speaker 5: So do you remember a band called the Kingston Trio?
Speaker 2: Of course they do. Yeah, everybody remembers the Kings, Charlie and the nbtwo.
Speaker 5: Right exactly what I just had an obscure reference.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 5: I chimed into the broadcast by about fifteen minutes ago about the four or five collars back and the way that he was griping and you were talking about how to just see us as bank accounts. It just seemed to really fit that song, even though it was written what forty years ago.
Speaker 2: More than that, I'll bet you it's more like sixty years ago. I think that was circ in nineteen sixties or so someone else there. We got plenty of music officionados who will call me up and tell me exactly what it was written. But I'm guessing sixty or sixty one. I might even be able to find it as we're talking here. But yeah, they look at us as ATMs.
Speaker 5: That was one of my dad's favorites. I grew up listening to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they look at us citizens as as ATMs. I you know, it's like, do you go to the store now. I don't know if it's like this in handover, but you got to pay five cents or die for a bag? You buying groceries like that.
Speaker 5: So both of my parents they just went to assisted living. I inherited their house here. I still have my apartment up in Medford, right on Boston Have, and they have the same stuff going on up there with the bags and then the sidewalks. As you guys were talking about, there's no way their ADA compliant. I got a roommate up there, and I walk his dog every now and then, and if you're not watching your feet, you're gonna trip it up on your face. And I have no mobility problems, so I can't imagine trying to run a piece of equipment over that to clear it or anything like that. But having us by the way they charged the way.
Speaker 6: I just checked you.
Speaker 2: Sorry, hold on, I just checked this out. The MTA song Charlie and the MTA was written in nineteen forty.
Speaker 5: Nine, so my dad was a year old when they wrote that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now when they made it popular, I don't know. It appears in the Kingston Trio album in nineteen fifty nine, so I was pretty close, they said in nineteen sixty. But it was written by some people. Jacquelyn Stein and best Best Hawes have no idea who they are in nineteen forty nine. That's seventy five years ago.
Speaker 5: So yeah, maybe his father liked it. I never met the guy. He was drafted in a World War Two at thirty eight years old. Believe that. Wow, well the different guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was a different time. So yeah, I just think we got it as citizens. I mean, you look at this, eight hundred and ninety four tickets have been written. You live in a place like Somerville, and you know, look, Somerville is not the the Eden of the Northeast. It's not the Ruba of the Northeast. I mean, it's a nice city, don't get me wrong, but it's got its problems, and you would think that they would have more things that they could worry about than whether or not there's a few days in the winter time when some people's sidewalks aren't shoveled properly.
Speaker 5: Almost seems like a cash grab because the people in charge, and some of them know that there's a good percentage of those homes that are occupied by tough kids. Tough kids and they're paying rent, so they're not going to be shoveling sidewalks. They're going to expect property management to take care of that. But property management will expect a city to handle the sidewalks. So it does seem like way well I know that, but.
Speaker 2: I got to tell I mean, if if it's a rental unit, uh and someone owns it and it's a you know, a dormitory or a frat house, I think that I'm not concerned about the person who owns that rental unit. I'm concerned about the elderly couple that's holding on and you know, they're living on a fixed income, and maybe one of them is dealing with a medical condition, maybe they both are, and they have to go out and shovel a sidewalk I mean, or maybe pay kids to do that for them. I mean, you know, it's not like the old days with you know, most people lived in a neighborhood and you knew the people on the on the street who were elderly. Now you live in a neighborhood, you don't even know who's on the street. It's the whole country has changed, and it hasn't changed, in my opinion, for the better. In that in that guard and the city looks at at all of these people, as they say, people like you and me as atm so they'll get you for this. They nickel and dime you at this at the supermarket, and they they do more than nickel and dimea when they hit you with a hundred or a three hundred dollars fine for not I mean, it's impossible that storm came in. There's been a series of storms. It's not like you had four inches of snow, nice light, fuff, fluffy snow and no, no, it was ice and rain and freezing frozen, you know. I mean, it's like the frozen tundra. I don't know, that's just I just think that these people who who who decide to make their career in government, the so called public servants, that a lot of them, once they get in there, they they never get blown out. You know. People in the private sector lose their jobs all the time. And we're seeing what's going on in Washington. We'll talk about that maybe a little bit later on tonight.
Speaker 5: Johnson got the town manag here. The property tax on this house is more than I pay for the apartment up in Medtrid. Just a tax, and you can't drink the town water here, and they're charging us to use the dump now, which has been free for thirty years, while raising the property tax. And we just had an It's.
Speaker 2: Another revenue stream, another revenue stream.
Speaker 5: They get you, they get you tax department, the new mall fifteen years a tax defertment. But they're taking away services from the elderly and raising the property fact.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. I think Hanover is similar to other communities, and they wonder why people are leaving Massachusetts by the droves.
Speaker 5: Eventually, Great belt Web is running that town. He worked on Beacon Hill for Francis Galvin for a while, their budget is balanced. They're like the only town in the Cell show that has no override vote. So he seems like an impressive guy. They're lucky to have.
Speaker 6: Him, whoever he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that they voted against the MBTA Communities Act also the standing Firm against that, which is something that also I think the integrity of communities. They're trying to take away local the rights for local zoning. They want to impose on different communities, every community, you know, obligations to build more multi family housing. And they're not accusing the communities of being discriminatory. They're just saying, we need more, we need a more of tax base, and we need more properties. And of course the developers work with the politicians. They contribute to the politicians campaigns, and the politicians say, well, let's force these towns to accept more developments, and the developers like that. It's Massachusetts is a weird state, man. It's it's it's it's always been a little weird and it's getting weirder. Thanks, John, appreciate it. Thank you Thanks for calling. You've called before, this's your first time calling.
Speaker 5: No, I've called a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Give me a favorite keep calling. I enjoyed the conversation. Talk to you soon. Thank you. We will take a break. I got a little bit of open lines here for your six one seven, two, five four ten thirty. Also six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I do we will change to another topic, but I want to give everybody a chance if you want to talk now about what's going on in Somerville and maybe what's going on in your community in terms of the obligation to UH to shovel your sidewalk at risk of being fined anywhere from one hundred and three hundred dollars and they've fined eight hundred. They've written eight hundred and ninety four tickets. Boy, there might there must be some guy in some of it who's really proud about that. You know, I've written eight hundred and ninety four tickets and I've I'm more than kept my keep as a as a ticket writer here in Somerville. I mean, is that what is that what life in Massachusetts has come down to? I don't know. I think that this past storm there should have been exception. This is not your normal set of snowstorms. These were little rapid snowstorms. You couldn't eavenly get out and shovel. We'll be back on Night's side right after this. Feel free to join the conversation. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty six, one seven nine.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Mine from the Into World Nightside Studios on w b Z the news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to the calls. We go going to go to Mario in Wilmington. Mario and Wilmington. You were next on Nightside, Mario, go right.
Speaker 6: Ahead, Yes, I agree totally. What has happened in somer Old. That is fine. A lot of these property owners don't live there. They don't have any regard for their neighbors, in the tenants themselves in avenue, regard for if you're not shoveling, you need to get a fine. A lot of times they're getting away with it because it's not a lot of snow. This time there's been a lot of snow, and out of the laziness of them not doing it. Now they're getting banged up. Good. A lot of people have to walk to and prompts kids going to school, et cetera. You're not clearing your sidewalk, you need to be fine.
Speaker 2: Look, well, you know we can we get disagreed? Let me ask you, is that the situation in Wilmington.
Speaker 6: We're a different story real wide, and we're some and we do our sidewalks.
Speaker 2: Your I'm just curious, Mario, is your side is your sidewalk shoveled?
Speaker 6: Yes, my side shovel.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, Yeah, let me I just look. You know what I'm trying to do is actually have a conversation with you, Mary, So work with me, if you would, how much how much sidewalk space? How much sidewalk do you have in front of your house?
Speaker 6: Why do you need to get technical about that?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's technical. I'm asking you a question. I'm just trying to trying to If you want to make a speech, man, go ahead. I'll give you thirty seconds to make a speech. Go ahead.
Speaker 6: Green is happening. There are a lot of property owners that don't care, don't do nothing, same thing with you. Don't think their management is doing it and they're skipping it. So fine, be any questions.
Speaker 2: You get another fifteen seconds for your speech. Go ahead. You got fifteen more seconds if you wanted.
Speaker 6: He was the fifteen seconds per question.
Speaker 2: Now you know what, Mario I'm not going to ask you a question. You got five seconds left for your speech. Go ahead.
Speaker 6: I will agree that elderly should get speech.
Speaker 2: Is over. Thanks very much, Mario. You know it's funny. What I don't understand is people call a talk show and he's angry, which is fine. I like angry callers. Angry Mario, we have a speech. I was gonna ask him how much sidewalk did he have? I asked him they have the sidewalk requirement in Wilmington. No, because we're different than Somerville. Really, anyway, let's see what Bernie in New Hampshire has to say. Hey, Bernie, how are you tonight?
Speaker 7: Hey, I'm well Dan, how are you good?
Speaker 2: I'm sure we can have a conversation better than the conversation I attempted to have with Mario.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Yeah, no, that was great. I grew up in Mats moved up to New Hampshire maybe twenty five years ago, but I grew up in that spot man, Thank you, thank you. My wife grew up in Quincy, so we were both city kids.
Speaker 4: She was so sure.
Speaker 5: I was not sure.
Speaker 7: And you know, like you said, going to school and people shoveled their sidewalks. If they didn't, you walked around it, you dealt with it. But you know, I just want to put this together with one blurb I heard earlier on your station, and they said that they're gonna they want to get the utility companies to lower the costs of the utilities because it's kind of such a bad winter to save people money and then they can raise it in the summer. And now some of them saying, well, we're going to tax you even more. Like, how come the legislature is it saying, hey, let's take care of these people. Let's not tax some more in a hard winter.
Speaker 2: Well, because because the leggislature doesn't really care. I mean, we have a you have a legislature in New Hampshire that's pretty fairly balanced. Sometimes the Democrats have the legislature, sometimes the Republicans, and it's also up there. I think your members of the legislature, I think they've paid the princely some of one hundred dollars a year to serve as really to serve as members of the legislature. Here in Massachusetts, you got a legislature with one hundred and sixty members, one hundred and twenty or so are Democratic or maybe more the majority of Republicans, And they hand out the chairmanships of these committees which do not meet particularly frequently. And these people are making six figures as state reps here in Massachusetts, and for them it's a business, and in order to keep the business going, they're not interested in helping residents and communities and all these Somerville they have their full time employees, Boston has their full time employees. They look at people like you and me as as I say ATMs, you know, just hit us for money, whatever they can do if it snows and they don't shovel this storm down here has been tough, really tough. And any person who is older over the age of forty five, they shouldn't be out trying to shovel this snow because this is nasty ice. In case encrusted snow, it's dangerous. But in Somerville they've handed out eight hundred and seventy four tickets. Good for them, Good for them they have They've shown beer citizens who's boss.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 7: And I understand that I work in mass I work in mass I work between sixty and eighty hours a week, and I get the privilege to pay Massachusetts taxes, you know which is great for me or great for them?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 7: And h I go home and I go home.
Speaker 3: I worked.
Speaker 7: I worked very long hours and a lot of times my wife will do the Uh my son's gone now, as you well know, he's gone away and h whole camp and my wife and I told her, do not touch the driveways. We've been getting a white butty snow. It's so cold, and I'll do it the next.
Speaker 4: Morning and all.
Speaker 7: But you know, I, like you said, when when when it? When it's wet and heavy, I'm sixty four years old, I do it. But you know what it's I can't see these elderly people. And why are you finding like people? You know a lot of these people have been in Somerville all the way life and you're finding them instead of helping them. Well, why not help them?
Speaker 2: Well that's why people like you are leaving Massachusetts. It's as simple as that. A lot of people can't afford to leave, but they're leaving. Bernie is always great to hear you. Please give our best to your son as he completes, you know, his his basic training in the military, and thank him for the service he's providing. And thank you and your wife for producing such a fine young man. And we'll talk again.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, thank you sir, have a good night.
Speaker 2: YouTube Bernie, here comes the news at the bottom of the hour. Like to continue on this, uh, if you want to have a conversation, fine, if you you know, Mario didn't seem to be inclined to a conversation, but I gave him thirty seconds to make a speech. That's fine. Feel free if you want to. If you want thirty seconds to make a speech, you can call. If you want to have a conversation, which I prefer six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three ten thirty. Talking about finding people in Somerville for not shoveling the sidewalk, this particular storm should be an exception to that rule, because this particular series of storms has laid down snow on people's sidewalks. There was no opportunity to shovel. If you if you've if you've lived through these storms, not big storms, but there's three or four inches of ice out there. It's not gonna go until the temperature gets up around forty you know. There you can you can be a little more reasonable than that. People are uh again, politicians of Summerville. They're politicians. They they just they love to impose rules and find other people. Back on Nightside right after this, you're on night.
Speaker 1: Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We've been talking for a little while about this ticket snow shoveling obligation in Somerville. Now again, for those of you in the Boston area who know the type of storm we have, just the storms we have just endured, they have been frequent, quite intense. They've dumped water, they've dumped sleet, they've dumped freezing rain, they've dumped snow, they've dumped any of a number of things in combination thereof, all of which have been augmented by really deep freezing temperare. So I'm going to change topics at eleven o'clock and we're going to talk about the struggle that people have now flying and how much baggage is on planes and the overhead bins. We're going to change that no later than eleven. So if you want to get in on the Somerville story, you want to dial right now six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty six, seven, nine three one ten thirty. I have a lot of sympathy for people in Somerville or in any community where they obligate you to shovel city sidewalks that are about your home. That's the problem. It's a it's Somerville property, it's not your property. It happens to be the sidewalk in front of your home. And putting aside whether that obligation should be imposed or not, the primary question in my mind is that in this particular set of storms that we've dealt with here in February, it's totally unfair to try to impose that on people. If they can do it, great, but to find them because they weren't able to get out there after a zero temperature night where everything has frozen up, that's just not fair. You can agree or disagree. And if you agree with Mario that somehow somer Fields citizens are I guess slackers and not doing that, I mean, Mario, I'm beginning to think might actually be like a of a Somerfield city councilor. But I wish Mario had stuck with us a little long. It would have been fun to have a conversation with him. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six, one, seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. Jump on board. Now let me go next to Doreen and Chelsea. Hey, Doreen, how are you?
Speaker 8: How are you?
Speaker 9: I agree with you, Dan, it's an odd fear here. It is Everett has it formerly from Everett. Yeah, And a friend of mine he had a snow blower. He had occurrent. He did it all up to the conner for the neighbors of his streets, and then he knew. And then when he walked down to the variety store in the corner, he fell because the store didn't come out and shovel at all.
Speaker 2: So he was out. He was out trying to help people with his show.
Speaker 6: Blows people years.
Speaker 9: So they did it him and his brother. And so then when he he knew the whole block, you know, the side of the street. And then when he walked to the store, the person that owns the store, he wanted to get some cream, you know, for coffee, and he flipped right out in front of the door. He didn't do anything at all, and he fell. I said, well, what did you do? I'm lucky I got up myself. It was dangerous with the eyes.
Speaker 2: I said, here's my question, dormy. That's an interesting story. But apply that to Somerville if you lived in Somerville.
Speaker 6: And yes, I know, yes I used property.
Speaker 2: In Somerville, and they were coming around writing tickets to you saying that you didn't. I'm talking about this particular storm fines.
Speaker 9: Serious fine, j Yeah, they have the fines and ever too. All the cities question they shouldn't find them, They shouldn't find them.
Speaker 2: Good for you, okay, I agree with you.
Speaker 9: I agree with you. They shouldn't. It's an elderly and they get fined. You know, it was cold, they can't go out, and you know, the city used to have those little tractors and they have to come out and do the sidewalks. Now I live in Chelsea, they have a little tractor. They beautifully plow where I live in Chelsea. I live in Admiral's Hill, okay, And and they they make sure that the packing lot and everybody that comes out they all shovel their cass and then they go with the plow. They have the big plows up the street. They go all around the hill up here because it's a kind of private, you know, and they do a beautiful job.
Speaker 3: That's it all.
Speaker 2: Right, well, well, good good for you, Doreen, and I appreciate you taking the time to call. I got to keep rolling here to get to some other callers as well. Thanks Dorian. Stay safe and stay warm.
Speaker 6: Okay, thanks, all right you too, bye bye bye bye, all.
Speaker 2: Right, good night. Let me go next to James and Hyde Park. James, welcome, How are you? Is there an obligation for you in Hyde Park to shovel the sidewalk in front of your house?
Speaker 4: Yes, it is. I've been here now to Slarue forty five years, but now I'm seeing you and I have a side walk that's approxingly approximately seventy five yards long.
Speaker 2: Seventy five yards what was seventy five yards? That's that's almost the length of the foot Paul Field that you're let stadium. You must have a big that's a huge sidewalk. James.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm blessed to be here, to which I love. But of what's getting me too also with this is my property tax is going up in the sidewalk belonged to the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the sidewalk does belong to the city. You don't own the sidewalk maybe next to your house? Yeah, So let me ask you. You said you're seventy five. I hope you're not still getting out there shoveling that sidewalk, are you.
Speaker 4: No, No, no, no, My sidewalk is seventy five yards. No, I'm eighty five now, so you're not shoveling. You have an anniversary coming up next month. We'll be married sixty years.
Speaker 2: Wow, congratulations. Your wife must be a saint, James, James, James, your wife, Your wife must be a saint. Right here, I said your wife must be a saint. I'm only dsing your James. Please.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I have some good neighbors. They do help me out good.
Speaker 2: That's great. That's good. That's what's that's what's living in in a good community is all about. What do you think about the fact that in Somerville they find people. This last storm was nasty. I will bet James, I'm gonna bet you that your sidewalk is not shoveled tonight. Uh.
Speaker 4: Well, our street is very good. People are doing very good over here on our street. But in some of you I'm listening to that, I think it's as is really as you are.
Speaker 6: The city can't sit give us some help.
Speaker 4: Even on clown outside, but it would be nice. Will submit that.
Speaker 2: You should run for city council. That's what you should do. James, you got some time? What are you? I assume at eighty five, I assume it eighty five. You're retired, right?
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, I'm gonna retired boss and school bus driver twenty years now.
Speaker 2: You've been retired twenty years, so you get out at sixty five. Good for you, James. You deserve it. You deserve it. That's good cook. Thanks so much for calling. Have I had the pleasure of you calling before? Is this your first time?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, I have. I listened to you.
Speaker 2: Well, James, you keep listening, keep calling, and someday I'll preps will bump into each other in the streets. Okay. I grew up in Reedville, so I know the I know High Park pretty well. I played a lot of sports as a kid.
Speaker 9: Uh in Hyark you did?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you live near ross Field or Kelly Field or between?
Speaker 4: I'm between Blake Street in what have it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I know that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay? Sure, yeah, yeah, absolutely, you're off. You're not far from River Street.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right, James, great talking with you, man. Be well, stay well. Okay, you sound great.
Speaker 4: Okay, God bless you me right back at.
Speaker 2: You, James, have a great one six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty. I got wide open lines there, and we are going to turn this off. We're gonna go to a different topic at eleven, but I'd love to get a couple more calls in here. We're talking about Somerville snow shoveling obligation where they are now starting to well, I guess they've been doing it for a while. They have fined, they've written eight hundred and seventy four tickets on residents of Somerville for not shoveling their sidewalks. Now, this last series of storms, I don't think anyone sidewalk could have been shoveled. And if they did get out there and shoveled at you know, two o'clock in the morning, God bless them. Good for them, but for them to start finding people who weren't out there at two o'clock because overnight these storms came. They tended to be night storms. They froze overnight, and you there's nothing you could do the next morning. Back on night Side six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty. Love to hear from you or we got one line at six one, seven, nine, three thirty.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Back we go. We're gonna go to Kathy in Boston. Good evening, Kathy, Welcome to Night Side.
Speaker 8: How are you, Hi, Hi, Jan, Nice to talk to you. You know, i'd like to say, I'd like to say that I think you're offering a nice perspective to the like you said, is there extenuating circumstances who have had mild winters in the last four years and now for them to have a very punitive approach to whatever the circumstances of people that just out aware that they probably they would be nice for their neighbors if they wouldn't clear there the driveway, et cetera. But the other thing I wanted to say is on your on your news breaks, Woo is talking about the climate crisis.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 8: I hope she's not trying to insinuate that because we have ice that it's a crisis in Boston.
Speaker 2: I have no idea that woman.
Speaker 8: Let's say that, you know, don't let a good ice do them go to waste?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I agree with you totally. Look, here's the thing. Whenever we don't have snow or as much snow as normal, it's because of climate change. Now that we're having a little, you know, a few weeks here of some tough snowstorms, it's climate change. Everything's climate change. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 8: I hate to tell you. I was down of South Boston. It was a Carson Beach today and there was some freezing. There's freezing of the harbor. I think, should I be worried? Should I be worried?
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think you and rational. You and I have both rational human beings. Yes, yes, the Earth has been around. I had someone on the other night and they said it was a scientist and he was saying that I thought the Earth's been around five billion years, and he said it's maybe more like eight billion years. He was talking about the center of the Earth was changing a little bit, the formation was changing. And I guess this happens very regularly, you know, and we get cool bat cold snaps and water snaps, and yes, you know, everyone wants to look at the last ten years and say, oh my god, you know we had you know, we we went from a huge snowstorm winter of ten years ago and then we had some winters where we had very little snow, so that it is changing. No, it's it's you know, it's like some years the Red Sox do well, some years they don't well. And eventually I can believe it out.
Speaker 8: And people always in this area used to used to skate in ponds before everything got regulated. It's really okay, We're all going to be okay.
Speaker 2: We used to stay. When I grew up in Reedville as a kid, we had an area which was called the swamp and it's it's where the stopping shop warehouse was eventually built of the ponts at Valley Parkway, and you'd go over there and there were no nets, there were no boards, and you'd be out there in the middle of the ice, and every once in a while you heard Stoctor Creek and it'd be like, oh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Either that in front of either that am in front of the house. We played street hockey one or the other. I know, I know, I know, Kathy, whereabouts in Boston are you by the way, if I could ask.
Speaker 8: A south end south end?
Speaker 2: Oh well, yeah, lovely section. I hope you can get mass and cast square away and that other. Yes, there's another building over there that has become sort of an indoor mass and cast if you get my drift.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yep, we've got problems. Well, it's pretty one except on trash days and all the trash garrol the trash bags are out because we don't have trash bends. We have to keep we have to keep the rats going.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, someone has.
Speaker 8: To Yep, we do. We have to thank you, Okay, Kathy, thank you guys, thank you Dan Well.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate it. I'm wanting to call more often though, Kathy, I don't hear your voice as often as I would like. Okay, thank you so much, thank you, good night now, Bill and Randolph. Bill, you may get the final word this hour. How are you, Billy?
Speaker 10: Fine? Dane. Nice to hear you. Listen, first time call him, but a long time.
Speaker 7: Listen.
Speaker 2: I've had a couple of first half dollars that night.
Speaker 7: Bus.
Speaker 2: The round of applause. Larry Glick, remember Larry Glick used to be able to, I don't know, do all sorts of crazy things with people, shoot people off the air and all that. The most I can do is give you a round of applause. So welcome to night Side. Right.
Speaker 10: Thanks brother. The sum of the filled thing has really got me.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 10: I live in Randolf. They plow the sidewalks here. Uh yeah, And one thing I wanted to bring up that storm. Uh there was so much rain you couldn't go out and shovel and it froze the rain coming down.
Speaker 2: I was well, I was out on Sunday afternoon with the rain, and the clothes I had was soaked. And I have got a lot of ice that had built up, and I was out there chopping ice, trying to move ice. And then I get a little water coming down, and then eventually it just refroze.
Speaker 10: I mean exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes, someone come by and plow. I had some I put seeing down. I had some sort of salt. I mean, it was a tough storm. And if I'm someone in Somerville who owns a home and I'm you know, a little older, and maybe I'm not as strong as I used to be twenty years ago, I'm not going to particularly if I'm I'm somebody who's alone, right, I'm not going to go out there and risk my life to shovel the sidewalk because it was like an ice. It's like shoveling the rink, the ice rink at Boston Garden. You can't do it.
Speaker 10: You're absolutely right in the water. Just kept calming in common. It's like I was out there. I'm seventy three, and I can I can still do this. I'm a lucky guy because I know.
Speaker 2: I hear you. I'm in that rage too, by the way, And I was out there. But the clothes that I had on, headline, heavy coat and a hoodie and gloves, all the clothes that I wore, I was soaked in to my skin. Some of that. Some of that clothes, I literally hung them up. Didn't drive until like Tuesday.
Speaker 10: Yeah. Absolutely. But what I wanted to say is that guy writing all those tickets. Oh no, that's not good, not good. No, I don't like that at all.
Speaker 2: I really know, one hundred and seventy four tickets. A lot of these cities and these so called public servants, they want to get into your pockets either they want to tax you, they want to find you. They want to write tickets for everything. They look at us like human atm machines. Simple.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Well, Dan, I got to say, you and me, we had a great time growing up. I think things were pretty normal, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I don't know. Hopefully kids are having a good time now. The bottom line is we've gone in a lot of bad directions, and I know that we're doing some corrections here. We talked earlier this week about a couple of times about the amount of debt that these young people who are listening to the show tonight, they're going to have to pay off this debt because our generation, the baby boomer generation, we're exiting stage left here, you know, and we're the only thing we're leaving them with is a lot of debt, which is a he a heck of an imposition. Bill, thanks so much for your first time call. You did a great job. I'm looking forward to Bill's second time call.
Speaker 10: Okay, yeah, then, but listening here for years, man, you're the man.
Speaker 2: You're the man.
Speaker 9: Brother.
Speaker 2: Thanks, I appreciate it. Thanks, Billy, talk soon. You have a good one. Good night night, good night. When we get back, I'm gonna change topics, gonna talk about another topic that I think a lot of people can identify that and that is the battle over the airplane baggage beIN you know, the up above stuff where you're supposed to maybe put a few little light things. No, it's out of control. We'll be back after the eleven o'clock news on night Side