Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Tuesday, April eighth. For those of you who are listening.
Speaker 3: At the end of the show yesterday I caught this.
Speaker 1: Oh it's a big thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. I didn't worry your.
Speaker 1: Your voice is very gravelly today. Do you have allergies?
Speaker 3: Mine is yeah, really no, no, don't you know have allergies?
Speaker 1: You want to disclose a lot of people have allergies this time of year, so.
Speaker 2: You're excusing me of having allergies.
Speaker 1: I just think it's one of those things you wouldn't want to admit to, and partly.
Speaker 3: Weak people have allergies exactly, all right, So the White House is now saying as many as seventy countries want to negotiate trade tariffs.
Speaker 2: This was the plan. This was Trump's plan all along.
Speaker 3: There have been some other discussions from other economic advisors of his that have kind of muddled the waters as to exactly what with the plan was.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Not China, and much like the global warming issue, if you don't get China and India to sign up for your global climate change initiatives. Your piss c you're purinating into the ocean. It means nothing, It means nothing. You've got to get China to come to the table. That's where we get our stuff. They take our stuff. Everyone knows this. That is the primary Who cares if Lithuania comes to the bargaining table?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: That is the primary thing.
Speaker 3: And the secondary, as we mentioned yesterday, was the concern that China is going to then sort of reformulate where they give who they trade with, who becomes sort of their major trading partners. We've talked also about I've said it a couple of times. There are differ different stories out there about exactly what the policies are supposed to be. Peter Navarro, of course, is a White House senior counselor. He says this is not about negotiation. He said, this is a national emergency based on a trade deficit that's gotten out of control because of cheating. Then Kevin Hassett, a guy we mentioned yesterday, he says these are a temporary tactic for leverage in negotiations, so he believes they are negotiation. Mike Lee Senator Mike Lee, not part of the administration, but obviously a big supporter of these. He said, there will be zero trade barriers. The goal is to eliminate trade barriers, not just negotiate. Scott Bessant, he is your Secretary of the Treasury. He said that this will create new, long lasting supply of revenue for the government because remember, supposedly we'd be bringing in six hundred billion dollars a year on the tara. Sorry, the tariffs are tariffs that we would be charging. But if we negotiate all that down, that money is gone. And then Howard Lutnik, Secretary of Commerce, says this whole thing as a national security tool. He says, this is a national security issue. He points out the fact that we don't make enough medicine in this country anymore. Now, again, those that's you know, five different high profile either members of the administration or supporters of the tariff policies that have been put in place, and none of them have the same message. They're all talking about different things. Now that's not to say that they're mutually exclusive. They can all be somewhat correct. It's that one of the major issues with the way the White House has done. This is they have not set the message clearly. They have not set the intention and sold it to the American people very clearly.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, well, I mean I thought the intention was to get everyone to the table, so America starts getting fed over.
Speaker 3: Right, which is which is what Kevin Hasset said it is. But Peter Navarro, one of the other advisors that's in all of this, has said that negotiation is not the policy, that's not why we're doing it.
Speaker 2: Now. He may be saying that as again the negotiations.
Speaker 1: Buddy, Well, it's all about what time do they say this, because if he said that before people started coming to the table, it's saving your ass because people are not coming to the table right. There are a number of people, Republicans, cracks in the system where people are raising their hand and saying enough is enough, Elon Musk being one of them.
Speaker 4: And they'll get into that.
Speaker 1: There were private conversations right this weekend and after that as well. But whether it's whether it's the rumor that Trump may be pausing these tariffs or the rumor that seventy countries have come to the negotiating table, Like I said, it doesn't matter as long as a big one like China is not. In fact, China's moving the other way, which is troubling. But when you look at Wall Street, they're seeing the cracks in this as well.
Speaker 4: There is some relief.
Speaker 1: Stocks bouncing to recover a little bit today, S and p UP S and P five hundred up three point seven percent in morning trading. The bounce, by the way, was global as well. Stock indexes were up in Tokyo, Paris, Shanghai, so that's good. Crude oil bouncing back a little bit as well. The big question remains how long will this tariff nightmare end? How long will Trump stay in firm with this. Is it enough for other countries that are not China to come to the table.
Speaker 4: We're going to have to wait and see.
Speaker 3: And in terms of the ranking of each of these countries, will it take some of those mid level countries to capitulate. I guess to what we're demanding that China finally does get the sense of, well, if.
Speaker 1: China doesn't care, China does not care about these other countries.
Speaker 3: But if they if we impose restrictions on for example, we're not going to trade with Vietnam. If Vietnam continues to trade with China or some policy.
Speaker 2: Along those lines.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know how it works and when you get into secondary trading partners like that, but that's something that this president has already talked about. You do business with those guys Tara free, You're not going to be Tara free when you do business with us.
Speaker 4: Well, this is when everyone gets on the phone to their friends.
Speaker 1: That's why you saw Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House breaking bread in the Oval office with Donald Trump yesterday. China's doing the same thing with their friends, be a Vietnam or anybody else.
Speaker 4: So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: But as long as I mean, and I do want to get into what China has had to say in the past twenty four hours since we last talked about it, because that is I think that's what you're playing for here, and that's why you're hearing the President say it with even more emphasis China.
Speaker 4: He's pissed. He is pissed, and it shows.
Speaker 3: That story about I mentioned Peter Navarro, one of the advisors, and Elon muskoing after each other is interesting.
Speaker 4: It's good.
Speaker 3: It's a good story, and I don't know if the president likes it, he's got two people that are fighting for he loves it.
Speaker 4: He loves it.
Speaker 1: But if he doesn't have Musk on this tariff train, that's gonna be that's going to be a relationship issue.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk about that.
Speaker 3: This discussion between Elon Musk and Peter Navar about them gators, that's fine, good on them.
Speaker 2: I watch any of that.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't watch any of it. It's not football season.
Speaker 2: It's just not fair.
Speaker 1: And you know what, it's beginning to show. It's beginning to show that it's not football season in my life.
Speaker 2: How I need? You're taking care of yourself? Excuse me?
Speaker 3: I mean she's you know, she's got some time, she's running, she's working out.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that was so accurate. Well, all right, Gary and Channa will reading.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: I just got a text from one of my best friends group text here and she says, my CR what does that mean, chief Chief recruitment recruitment officer. My CRO makes us share a personal and professional best in our bi weekly meetings. She went on to say, I didn't kill myself or anyone else, it is my personal best.
Speaker 4: But I don't think they'll laugh back please say that.
Speaker 1: But it got me thinking, could you imagine if we had a meeting bi weekly meetings?
Speaker 4: What does that mean? Twice a week? If we had a meeting.
Speaker 2: Weeks, is that bi weekly?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, right, yes, we don't.
Speaker 1: Tell we don't have we sit here and do we talk about balls and freaking animals that are not extinct anymore?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Exactly.
Speaker 1: But anyway, uh so I got me thinking, if we had a even if we had a meeting every other week where somebody who was in power over us said to us, Okay, what's your personal and profession best this week?
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't come to work for that.
Speaker 4: See you're already throwing the tantrum.
Speaker 2: I am throwing the tantrum. I do not come to work for that.
Speaker 3: I enjoy the people that I work with, And if there are times when I feel like I need to share personal achievements.
Speaker 4: That's the thing. Like I don't want to share my personal best.
Speaker 2: I want to I want to make my widgets, like I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Share that with people.
Speaker 1: It's my personal best, Like I don't you want to make your widgets. I'm sorry I glossed over that. Is that your Is that your personal best?
Speaker 4: This week? You've made some some widgets.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm You're here to me to make. I want to make the best widgets.
Speaker 4: I understand.
Speaker 2: I want to make totally.
Speaker 1: I don't even want to think about my personal best. I'm here for widgets. I don't care what Jeff in accounting did with.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 1: In fact, when Petros and money do that, how is your weekend thing? I turn off the station. I don't care what their weekends were. Like you think I care about Matt surfing. I care about Petros at yoga. I care about what Ronnie did with his kids. Yeah, sure, I listened to it every time. That was a lie when I said I turned it off. But in theory, I don't care. But could you imagine the pressure, like if I went to a meeting like suddenly, Okay, I've never been the Sunday Scaries anxiety person, but if I had to come to work and share a personal and professional best every other week, it would be like being nine and going to confession all over again.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 1: It would be like you'd come up with something for the priest, Like I talked back to my mom just to have something to say, so I'd say, like, well, Bob, my personal best was I made a good Spanish omelet for dinner, which I didn't. I undercooked it. It was awful, But I wouldn't tell Bob that. But you know, I mean, like, my, that's just a wee your thing, right Like, that's a very intimate even your professional best is kind of an personal intimate thing.
Speaker 4: Right Well, Like if you thought you did a.
Speaker 1: Like yesterday, when you had a really funny joke and it was super funny and you thought it was super funny, you wouldn't then take a victory lap for it, because that would be embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Tell everybody two weeks from now there was this funny time, this one thing.
Speaker 4: This one thing I said on Monday, April.
Speaker 2: Sixth, seventh.
Speaker 4: I see, you're already correcting me.
Speaker 3: There was this one time I had to correct Shannon because you got to do one time.
Speaker 4: Uh there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It just that sounds awful floors me that that's still a thing. There's there's an aspect of it, and I hate to sound super old fashioned this way, but there's an aspect of it, that is, the manufactured teamwork thing is awful.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 3: It's one thing if you if you work with good people and you feel like you're a team, a member of a team, Yeah, good on you, because that's that's You're very, very lucky.
Speaker 4: We don't need to call each other team.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's an excellent point.
Speaker 1: When somebody ends an email or starts an email a team. You're not on my team because my team. We don't need to we don't need to label ourselves.
Speaker 3: But I think about my grandfather helping dig the aqueduct that now powers and.
Speaker 2: Quenches the thirst of something.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine if your grandfather was asked for his personal and professional best once every other week, unbelievable, He'd punch you in the face. He'd say, I've got an aqueduct to build, you, dumbass. I was at a pilates class and it was a new one, and she says, turn to the person on your right, say hello and share something with them that you want to do that you've never.
Speaker 4: Done, like.
Speaker 1: Joining the circus or something stupid, she said.
Speaker 6: And I'm like what, And like somebody next to me was like, I want to go shoot a bow and arrow or somebody like it was just the stupidest me.
Speaker 4: You hit the nail on net.
Speaker 1: Manufactured intimacy or manufactured team workers.
Speaker 4: H gross, so awful. Where are we are?
Speaker 2: We all find something positive? Shall we just find something?
Speaker 4: I still want to talk about China?
Speaker 2: We will. We'll talk about China a second.
Speaker 3: There is an update from the Supreme Court that just came in today. The court the Supreme Court handed yet another victory to the Trump administration, stopping a federal judge that required several federal agencies reinstate about sixteen thousand workers that the Trump administration's trying to fire. The decision to grant the administration's request means these the federal government does not have to take any steps to bring back some of those workers who were laid off while their litigation moves forward before the federal judge that's out here in California.
Speaker 2: Apparently this was a seven to two decision. The only.
Speaker 3: The only two or at least two that actually said they dissented.
Speaker 2: This was an unsigned decision.
Speaker 3: So Sonya sotomayor Ka Tanji Brown Jackson were two who noted that they dissented.
Speaker 1: Here's a fun exercise to go through reading the news every morning. Is the headlines where they say President Trump secured a major victory at the Supreme Court, and then you go to another publication President Trump at a major setback of the Supreme Court.
Speaker 4: It's a fascinating exercise.
Speaker 1: Just to see how they exactly just keep an open mind.
Speaker 4: Reading the news every morning is all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: All right, the Elon Musk this direct appeals to Trump to reverse the tariffs, his fight with Peter Navarro, and why China is the number one target in all of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think you think Trump is standing his ground and he's tough when it comes to China, Meet Chi Jinping because he's carbon copy, carbon copy.
Speaker 4: These two are not going to back down.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Garyan Shannon KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. One of the big developments that we saw from yesterday was President Trump made the announcement that the United States in Iran are going to have some sort of nuclear talks. President Trump said the meetings that begin on Saturday would involve direct negotiations between high level US and Iranian officials. Iran's foreign minister, however, says they will be indirect talks taking place in Oman.
Speaker 4: Just devastation and the Dominican Republic.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven people killed right now, but the rescue effort continues.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you heard.
Speaker 1: About it, but a roof collapsed at a big deal nightclub. This is a place politicians and athletes, everyone goes. It's a merangue concert last night and it's called the jet Set Nightclub in Santa Domingo. And nearly twelve hours after that club collapse down on to the people. Rescue crews are still pulling out survivors, but you know, it's a race against the clock. But they are going through broken concrete and wood. They're using that as planks to lift heavy debris. Noise of drills is all you can really hear from the scene, but it was It's just a sheer tragedy. The governor of the area and the sister of seven time Major League Baseball All Star Nelson Cruz, was among the victims.
Speaker 4: Nelsi Cruz.
Speaker 3: Octavio d'hotel, a former pitcher for the Cardinals, was also said to be trapped in there. But was still alive, so there may be some other recognizable names as that continues. Well, we're talking about the continuing aftermath from the trade tariffs that have been imposed by the United States. We saw good, significant rebound in stock prices around the world. Actually, the Dow is up about five hundred points right now, SMP five hundred, Nasdaq also up. Gold has rebounded quite a bit, oil has rebounded off of its lows from yesterday. And one of the issues that has cropped up is there is some dissension in the ranks. There are some Republicans very close to the president who disagree with the way things are going. In fact, the Washington Post today says that Elon Musk has asked specifically President Trump to reverse these trade tariffs. Now, he clearly this is not his lane in that that's not why he was brought on as an advisor. His advisory role for the president, at least in this administration so far has been to head up DOGE and to go after waste, fraud and abuse that they find within the federal government.
Speaker 1: But you cannot separate the businessman from the move fast and break things guy.
Speaker 3: He's clearly got an opinion on something like this now. So he's going out. He has gone after specifically Peter Navarro, the trade advisor to President Trump, because Peter Navarro, among other things, was held up as a as an expert on all of this. He has a degree from Harvard, although Elon Musk said the degree from Harvard is not a good thing, it's a bad thing. So then Peter Navarro goes on CNBC yesterday and kind of pushes back against Elon Musk and says, well, he doesn't really know exactly what he's talking about.
Speaker 7: Have you spoken to him, No, but we'll speak. I'll probably see him today in the OVA. It's no big deal. Here's the thing. It's like, Look, Elon Musk and his Doge team is making a contribution to America in terms of waste, fraud, and abuse, and that's a very good thing for this country and the American people. But he's not a car manufacturer. He's a car assembler. In many cases, if you go to his Texas plan, A good part of the engines that that he gets, which in the EV case is the batteries come from Japan's true and come from China. CEOs come from the tires.
Speaker 1: He's right, and that's the thing people like Elon Musk. Yes, they make things here, they send them to places like China and Japan and Vietnam and there like economically.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: But and then Elon Musk goes on to say, after that CNBC appearance by Navarro, Navarro is truly a moron, dumber than a sack of bricks, and then following up by defending Tesla, he said it's the most vertically integrated auto manufacturer in America with the highest percentage of US content. I mean Navarro does not is running a foul a little bit by saying because he's opening up the conversation now I'm opening it up because he says he's a car assembler, not a manufacturer. Musk like him himself to a manufacturer. Very different things. And there's a lot of people who do business in America say that they are manufacturers and they manufacture in America.
Speaker 2: They do not.
Speaker 1: They put the stuff together in America, which is great, but you're still sending it out to the other countries.
Speaker 2: But it's not the definition of from one hundred years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's not pretend it's one hundred percent American made here.
Speaker 4: But go ahead.
Speaker 3: The twenty five percent tariff auto tariff that went into effect at the beginning of the month is part of the larger trade war, and there was some concern that we we sorry that Tesla would take a hit because of the global market route. The company stockfel nineteen percent since the tariffs were announced last week. Because even if to Musk's own assertion, even if the Tesla is the highest percentage of US content here in the United States, obviously there is still enough foreign parts, pieces and things that go into a Tesla that the price would be affected.
Speaker 1: All right, I want to get into China because shi Jinping has a lot to lose if he capitulates to Trump, and it's not going to happen. He just it cannot happen for him. So where does that leave us? It leaves us with probably the inevitable massive trade war between US and China. And it started with TikTok last week. Yes, massive global trade war may have started with TikTok. Interesting, we'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 8: Hey, this is Ray from Recida. Hey. I retired twenty twenty two from a job after twenty seven years. In the last five years of that job, my weekly personal bestmok I digging out a few I quit really upset him that I didn't do that. He wanted me to, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: So have a nice day.
Speaker 1: Hey, what not saying we'll take your personal and your and your professional best. Yes today, We'll do it bi weekly. If you want to share, you're listening.
Speaker 5: To Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Got to get to this now because it's just too good to sit on in terms of China and Chi Jinping and how he will not back down. Probably it's just not in his DNA and politically not tenable for him to do. So we can talk about that in swamp Watch, because that's going to be a story that's going to continue for a while, US versus China when it comes to this, it may end up only coming to this.
Speaker 4: But Elon Musk in.
Speaker 1: His fight with Peter Navarro, who is Trump's trade advisor, it got heated over the weekend, like we were talking about, with Musk going on X talking about, you know, Navarro being an idiot, a moron, I guess was his word. Navarro calling Musk a car assembler, which he's right about a little bit But there was also this assertion by Elon Musk that Peter Navarro uses a fake economic expert expert in his books. Yeah, an expert he invented by the name of ron Vera.
Speaker 3: In one of his tweets, Elon Musk said, Tesla's the most vertically integrated auto manufactured America with the highest percentage of US content. Navarro should ask the fake expert he invented, Ron Vara.
Speaker 4: So here is the backstory on that.
Speaker 1: Because I read that this morning, I meant to do a deep dive and I did not, and I just did.
Speaker 4: So here's the deal.
Speaker 1: When did Peter Navarro enter the group chat with Trump while he started working with Trump after Jared Kushner stumbled upon Navarro's book It's called Death by China, And it was Kushner. Remember, Kushner was like the second coming in the first go round of Trump, like Trump had. Trump had Kushner as like his top advisor pretty much. I mean, he was listening to everything. This kid was saying, where's Jared Kushner bent lately?
Speaker 2: He's just making money and raising.
Speaker 1: Fascinating right that he was like this second in command almost It felt like and Ivanka have both steat back right, so fascinating. But anyway, so it was Kushner that said, hey, you should work with this guy. He was the one who reached out in twenty sixteen to Navarro to serve as Trump's economic advisor during the campaign after reading Death by China. Apparently in this book Death by China, Navarro frequently references the work of this guy ron Vara, so called economics expert. It wasn't just in his book Death by China, but a number of his books. After Trump was elected as president, this guy ron Vara circulated a memo in Washington, DC. He wrote a memo that made the rounds that Trump could ride the.
Speaker 4: Tariffs to victory.
Speaker 1: It turns out he is a made up person that Peter Navarro invented ron Vera as his expert source, one that he quoted over and over again. It's an anagram of his last name, right, ron Vera Navarro. He has admitted it. By the way, ron Navarro has he says that it was what was the word he used, a whimsical device. He acknowledged the fabrication, calling it a whimsical device. This all came out in twenty nineteen when everyone did the research and connected the dots and found out that this guy did not exist. Here's one of the quotes that's attributed to the fictional Ron Navara or Ron Vara and Death by China. This is when he's issuing ominous warnings on imports from China in this book. This is the quote, only the Chinese can turn a leather sofa into an acid bath, a baby crib into a lethal weapon, and a cell phone battery into heart piercing shrapnel. So it seems like Ron Navarro had these colorful quotations he wanted to use, but a tribute to someone else as color in his straight laced econ on.
Speaker 3: Book, so that they could cover for it, so that the person would cover for me.
Speaker 4: He said, it's just a fun device.
Speaker 1: The co author admitted that Peter Navarro created the character, and then Navarro said, in a cover of his own ass move, it's refreshing that somebody finally figured out an inside joke that's been hiding in plain sight for years.
Speaker 4: Okay, come on.
Speaker 1: The book publisher, by the way, is put a disclaimer on all of Ron Navarro's books that say, hey, ps, this guy uses fake freaking experts.
Speaker 3: That's so you can't do that, right, Well, in what world does your PhD from Harvard give you the uh give you the ability to do something like that?
Speaker 2: How would you possibly even try to pass that all?
Speaker 1: Well, your PhD from Harvard should mean you don't have to create a fake character, right. You are the expert, the expert write the book, be the quote, be the person the quotes come from.
Speaker 3: And if, like you said, you want to say things like only the Chinese internal other.
Speaker 2: Sofa into an ass SA, say it.
Speaker 4: Say them.
Speaker 3: Because you're not be a little b You're not going to be able to get away from that.
Speaker 1: My gosh, that is so spineless and slimy.
Speaker 2: Well, these guys.
Speaker 3: Are going to go after each other quite a bit, I hope, over the next couple of days, because it's entertaining.
Speaker 2: It's entertaining for the rest of us, I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, except for the whole you know, global trade war between the United States and China.
Speaker 3: Secondary, I'd rather these guys go after each other like a couple of little princesses. Up next the the horrific, heartbreaking story of this soccer coach who's now been charged with the murder of a young boy. This is after after allegations of sexually abusing another teenager.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about all that when we come back to Gary and Channon. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app