Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, Welcome back to a new episode of the Poker Go Podcast. It is Monday, July thirteenth. My name is Donnie Peters. It is one seventeen am. Got a little bit of pep in my step today. The meds are finally kicking in, still struggling quite a bit. Have spent the large majority of the past forty eight hours either in my bed or on my couch. I will say that the silver lining there is that I have been glued to the coverage from when it starts at twelve noon here in Vegas to when it ends around midnight. I know there's about a one or two hour break in there at some point, but I have had that thing on all minutes, all hours of the past two days, been absolutely glued to it. So that's been the fun side of things, you know. As I said, when I'm out there, I'm not always able to watch, but I try to tune in as much as I can. But being able to watch everything and see it all happen, I mean, there's nothing like the WSP made event. There's absolutely nothing like it. Day seven is in the books. We're gonna hit on everything that happened on Day six. Run you guys through that. We have a few interviews to play as well. I did stay home today, but my guy Rem Krinkima was down there at Paris getting a few conversations with some of the players in the field. Some really good stuff there that you guys are going to be able to listen to. We were throwing a little bit of a monkey wrench before the start of day seven, so we'll obviously talk about that. If you've been living under a rock, then it'll be news to you. If not, I'm gonna weigh in with my two cents on that, and yeah, that'll be the pod, nice and focused one around the w is to be made event. I don't really know what the heck is going on elsewhere at the World Series. I only really know because they're kind of checking in on some things every now and then on the coverage, like they checked in on the fifty K Nolan and Holdham winner Jamie Dwan won that one. But I am just so sucked into this main event. It's just absolutely unbelievable, and anything else that's going on around it, I just it's not that I don't care, it's just I'm all of my attention one and fifty percent of my attention is on the WSP main event, as it should be. You know, it's it's great that that everyone else has stuff to play, so of course, you know, you want to take advantage that you get. All these people in town totally get it. It really is just all about the main event. So that's what we're going to be focusing on at some point in the coming days. You know, we do have that big gap between when the final table is reached and then when the final table is played, we'll have some pods in there as well, and we'll wrap up all the all the other winners on how things are going. I'm sure we got to touch on the WASIP Player of the Year race. That race itself is ever changing. I saw on social media today that Iowa Kihara had a cash in an event that allowed him to get some points to move up. I also saw that Dan and Legrand who had I think he moved up into the top five of the leader board. But that's all great, and there are still tournaments being played. But we also have to consider Sean Deep is still in the main event, right, so it's not like his points are being tallied by how far he's going and he's still alive now entering day eight, So I think there's around nineteen hundred, maybe two thousand points up top in the WSIP main event alone for the Player of the Year, So that's going to have a lot of weight on things for how that race plays out. So it's kind of it's great to pay attention to it. I love the race, it's awesome, but it's also kind of hard to actually pin down because we got Sean Deep going into this event. And if you guys remember when I talked with him way he said, you know, he made a joke like I'm probably gonna get stuck to the mainim me until day six or something like that. Well it's now gonna be day eight, and Shan deeb still, at least on his terms, stuck in the WSP main event. Well, all of us would like to be stuck in the wspre main event on day eight, mister d that's for damn sure. If you guys are looking for some free online poker action, then go check out play Poker Go. Just visit playpoker Go dot com Slash podcast and you'll get your free one hundred thousand gold bonus to help kickstart to your bankroll again. That's playpokerg dot com slash podcast to sign up and claim your free bonus and start playing today. All right, let's get into it. For Day seven of the WSP Main Event, sixty two players began well within the money, deep in it. At the end of it all, when the dust had settled, twenty one players remain. So we're gonna have three tables of seven coming back on Monday. Malcolm Trainer, the young Australian poker sensation, is leading the way with sixty three point two million in chips. That is good enough for one hundred and five big blinds. Interestingly enough, the chip leader entering the day also had one hundred and five big blinds. But more on him later. As it pertains to Malcolm Trainor twenty six years old, he's an Australian player out of Brisbane. He won the twenty twenty four WSP Mystery Millions for one million dollars. Don't know how many bounties he pulled along the way, but of course he definitely added to that one million dollars score there. In that tournament, he topped a field of eighteen thousand, four hundred and nine entries. That's an absolutely mammoth field. He also won the twenty twenty six Oussie Million's Main Event ten K buying for that one in the Ozzie Million Main Event return It returned in April after I think a six year hiatus. Trainer won that for one million, three hundred and eighty two thousand Australian dollars, which equates to nine hundred and ninety thousand USD a top day field of seven hundred and seventy entries there. When he won that Ozzie Million's Main Event, Poker News was there on site doing live reporting and he spoke with Poker News after and he said, I've dedicated my life to poker the last eight years. People often see the wins, but they don't see the grind and they don't see the losing months. I mean, that's very, very true. You know, it does take a lot to be very good and very successful at poker. Yes, of course, you can just slap it out there and get lucky. That can happen, but also you know, there are plenty of players, as it sounds like Trainer is certainly one of them that put in a lot of time effort, resources, dedication to getting better improving their game. Of course, of course there are different pathways to do that, but it's great to see it all come to fruition. It all be shown. On the other end, with having some success in poker, you know, some of the best players in the world may not have giant wins like Trainer may have. And then on the clip side, you know, some of the worst players in the world might just rip off, you know, a sick heater for six months to a year or whatever it may be. As it pertains to Malcolm Trainer though everything that I've seen from him, you know, I watched a little bit of him in the twenty twenty four Wsity Mister Millions tournament when he won that one at the final table, and then I've watched a lot of him, or at least as much as they have shown of him in this DISIP main event this year in his run, and he seemed like a very very solid player. Yes, there are some fortunate situations that are going his way, but that's just the variance of it all. And you know, you have to play well and then hopefully that variance can just swing your way at some points and you can be, of course the beneficiary of it, but you still have to play really good solid poker, and he has played really good solid poker the entire time. Something that benefited him earlier to On day seven, he did flop a flush in a raised pot holding the seven to five of spades against Todd Brunson. I believe it was Todd Brunson opened Malcolm trainor called in late position I think on the button became Queen Jack ate all spades and then fast forward into the river. Trainer was able to get in a river rays that got paid off by Todd Brunson. There you know one hand that did go Trainer's way in terms of a lot of luck is when he got he got all in with Ton Lee Wang. Trainer had ace five of hearts against Wang's queens. Trainer three bet and then called off to a shorter stacked Wang. He flopped a five did Trainer and turned an ace which allowed him to bust Wang. In twenty eighth place, he got a lot of good value with two pair against Giuseppe Pantaleo in a spot where he had aces and jacks against an inferior two pair of Panteleeo with Jackson eights, and then there was another spot where he got some decent value in a blind versus blind situation. Antonio Galiana had King Jack and the small blind trainer had Queen Queen. In the big blind flop was Ace Jack something trainer ended up believe it was. He betflop and then when check check turned and then he called a bet on the river I think is how it went. So he was able to get some value there out of those queens and ultimately has a relatively healthy lead. He has more than twenty million. Then second place and second place belongs to Rameyhamoud out of Canada. So a sizeable lead here for Malcolm trainor the young superstar again I said he was twenty six years old. You don't see too many young kids these days in poker, and it's great to see.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We always talk about that in the US as it pertains to the lack of of online poker being as widely available as it once was. But Australia is very similar. You know that they don't have online poker as widely available as they once did. I believe, at least that's my understanding of how things are now. So someone like Malcolm Traynor, who is able to come up in his younger years, in his younger twenties and have this sort of success. I think it's you know, it's truly great to see and we'll see where he goes from here. Nothing is given, of course, I know we only have one day left of play until that final table is reached on Monday. They're going to go from twenty one down to nine. They're going to reach that final table. Of course, Trainer cannot make it. That is you know that that's not been a surprise in the past, that has not happened before. But I would say that given what we know of him, given the chipley that he has, I would say, you know, he's certainly a favorite, and I expect him to make it to the final table. And I would even expect him to make it to the final table in a very solid position.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: See's someone who I think with this chip lead, coupled with the way he's playing, you know, I look at him to make it to the final table in the top let's say, top three sacks. You know, I think that's pretty pretty safe to say right now. But of course, have a long day of poker ahead of us on Monday for these guys to play. So we'll see how it all shakes out for a trainer and the rest of the field. As for the rest of the field, let's just run through the other twenty players who are joining Malcolm trainer on Day eight of the WSLP main event. I mentioned second place in chips Rami Hamoud out of Canada forty one and a half million. Right there, forty one and a half million. Trainers got sixty three point two million. That's the gap between first and second. Entering day eight of the main event. You have Lucas Juliman with forty point eight million. Jumalan is a young player. I think he's like twenty one or twenty two years old. He was talked a lot about on the broadcast. He's got a lot of friends that are out here supporting him.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Everyone says that he's put in a lot of work, he's ready for this, he deserves it, like all that sort of stuff. He he played well in a lot of spots today, hold off a couple of timely bluffs, got some value, you know. So he's absolutely cruising and you can tell that Jumalan is certainly locked in. We'll see, you know how he goes from here. But he's a name that I think we need to start getting ourselves acquainted with rather quickly. He's came on to my radar in this WSP main event, and it seems like with the success he's having here, coupled by what we've seen him playing on the felt, he's going to be someone who could you know, this could be the breakout, you know for we see for the Lucas Jumalan a story to come. Eva Goru out of Cyprus thirty eight point two million. He's in fourth place, Will Gibbons behind him thirty one point seven million. Givens was another fun day with Will Gibbons. He did the whole show up late thing. He showed up lade after breaks. At one point during the last level, he just left for a whole bunch of hands like he was missing blinds everything. He did, come back, played a couple hands and then he left early like he didn't wait till I think they might have announced four hands left or something, and he just bounced. The staff bagged his chips for him. But on the way out, he did you know. Jeff Platt caught up with him as a little a little walk out of the out of the Paris ballroom there, and it was I mean, the interview was gold. You guys can go find it on Jeff Platt's Twitter account if you want to listen to it and see the interaction. But the final quote, I just have to read it to you. I wrote it down because it's just it's awesome. I mean, Jeff asked him out of all the players left, you know, who want to get heads up with, and Will started going into this thing about you know, anyone I give my chips to. If I give you my chips, I want you to be here. And then he said the closing line was, and this is the quote, you know how lions don't eat dead prey because they go for the chase. Let that sink in. There was a grunt in there at one point, I mean the whole I think he just walks off. I mean, it's just you couldn't write better stuff than Will Gibbins has given us. So that's incredible. I don't know why. I just had a feeling when I first played that freeze out several weeks ago and he sat down at the table, he started telling the whole story about how he's band Caesar's properties, it's his first time back and so many years and all this sort of thing. I don't know why, but I just had a feeling. Maybe it's just the experience being on the media side in me coming out, but I just had a feeling this guy was gonna make noise this summer. So I had to tell that story. I told it a few different times, got Will tell it as well. And now here he is making day eight in the final twenty one players of the Wacopa event. Just absolutely wild stuff. And we're in for We're in for a show with Will Gibbons going forward. That's for damn sure. Sean Deep is behind him thirty one point three million. Sean Deep is cruising. I mean, I know he's not the biggest chipstack in the field, but to me, he has to absolutely be one of the favorites. He's been in these sorts of spots so many times. You can tell that the pressure does not get to him one bit. I don't know. I just every time you just looked at Sean Deeb's chip count on the screen, he had a few million more than he did when they last showed him and I know there was some up and downs in there, yes, of course, but ultimately finished on relatively high here for Sean Deep thirty one point three million, he's you know, towards the top half of the pack here and cruising along. Now, Sean Deep, he's one of the players that Remco spoke to and Remko wanted to ask him about the whole implement implementation of the play cocks right before play and Sean Dee had some interesting takes on it. So let's hear from Sean Dee first and then we'll come back. We'll talk about that situation a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Sean, the big situation that came out today that there's a clock and stated pre flop, What led to that and what's your response to it.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, I've been friends with a lot of the staff and the flour men Worldsai's Europe. A few years ago there was issues with stalling and Andy was running a tournament. We talked about whether or not to install shot clocks, and you know, I know last year with the casuit there there's been a lot of discussion last few years, like they really have to implement it. It's really unfair, and I saw the post you know, fifteen minute Tank by Lauren Klein, like, you know, it's so unfair to the other seven tables that that table's playing no hands. We might have played seven hands at the feature table in that time period. So you know, I think the floor made a good decision. I wish, you know, it was a little more. A lot of people never play shot clocks. I think they could have been a better explanation. But luckily for the people at my table, I'm giving them explanations that I know it's on them, you know, try to make it. But it's obviously I think more people bust this level than they would have there wasn't shot clock, And I obviously it's better for me personally. I've played a lot with shot clock. I make quick decisions. But yeah, I think it's a necessary evil at this stage of determament because people were too abusive on time. We don't want to go hand for hand or around for round, and so this is the best, you know, solution to the problem at hand.
Speaker 2: The chaka has been brought up many times in the past, but the argument against it, for the main was always the majority of players are not familiar with that, and they're also recreational, so they might take more time in general. What's your response to that.
Speaker 5: I think it's the opposite the pros, who take way more time than recreational. Very few recreationals tank. It is way more the pros tank than recreational. So I think, if anything, this is better for the recreationals because the pros can't sit there for seven minutes every turn and figure out do I have one point five X spot or do I you know, hero call this guy? And so I actually think shot clocks are better for REX. I think that they're going to be more impulsive, they're going to make their decisions quickly. They're not gonna Hollywood as much. And yeah, I think it's way worse for pros. And I also think it's a better experience for the wreck like people sitting there, you know, people talking to me, like, dude, I watched a hand where it took six minutes for the guy to fucking check the turn, Like It's like people are just went too far on time. So it's a good solution. I think I'll make better TV. A lot more hands are gonna be played, a lot, a lot more shit's gonna go down, and I'm excited to see how the rest of the main turns out.
Speaker 1: All right, So that was deep And you heard him there say that he thinks that adding the clocks in like this benefits the recreationals more. I know there's been a lot of debate about that on social media. I know, you know, Nick and Ali talked about it in the booth like it's been talked about pretty much ad nauseum, you know. But I'm going to weigh in here with my side of things. I can make the argument for both sides on who it benefits more, pros or recreationals. I know producer Rich has had this long standing take that the Wsby main event structure is too good and if we want recreational to have a better chance, we need to make their structure worse, to increase the variants a little bit, because that's ultimately better for the recreationals, even if they don't think that that is ultimately better for them. So I do kind of agree with deeb been saying that yes, faster time can increase the variance, which ultimately makes it a little bit better for the recreationals. Because if the pros have more time, you know, they're going to be able to really put all the pieces of the puzzle together and get things correct. I can also very much agree with the other side of the argument that says it's better for the pros to have a shorter amount of time because they're used to this sort of thing and they're going to be able to make more efficient decisions in a smaller window of time. Just think about you know, all the pros who are playing, and Sean Deeve was was certainly one of these players, definitely back in the day playing online. But all the players who have played twelve, sixteen, twenty tables at once, maybe more online at a time. Patrick Leonard is one of them. I know we're going to talk about him in a little bit as well, But you know, all these players who have played endless tables online at once, like they're constantly making super fast decisions over and over again, and yet is that the absolute best decision that they could make, like in that given moment on one table, Maybe not, because if they maybe had a little bit more time, yes, they could have made a better decision if they were able to think things through and put more pieces of the puzzle together and figure out the problem a little bit more, of course, But if you're able to come to a very good decision in a shorter period of time, then someone else who's lesser experienced in this sort of spot than you and doesn't have all of that data already working in their brain from all of the hundreds millions of hands that they've played, hundreds of thousands and millions of hands that they've played in the past, then yeah, the pros are going to be better in this spot too. So I can see kind of both sides of the argument there. My big thing is that we've always made conversation about how tournaments need play clocks like this, and specifically the main event should have play clocks starting to be put into them. You know, maybe not from the beigin because the fuel is just too large, but at some point put them in, which I think is a fine take to make and have, and I'm pretty sure that I've made that before many times. I just have a big problem with implementing it right before the start of Day seven, in the middle of the tournament, when this was not planned at all. Now I believe keV Matt did share on social media that it isn't the rules that at any time the tournament staff can opt to put a play clock in if they if they deem that it's necessary to have one, or if they want to have one. I get it, but I mean, it just seems a bit crazy to do it this way when it's the biggest spot of everyone's life, and that's recreationals, that's pros, that's everyone in the tournament. There's so much money on the line, and you're just changing these rules, Like why because one guy the day before tanked for fifteen or sixteen minutes? Was the report that was Lauren Klein on a hand? Well, I mean one, players can call the clock, right, players need to call the clock more. And I know it's hard for players at the specific table because they are incentivized not to call the clock. They're just because every other table can can play hands and they can all lose players and we're just going to sit here and wait as long as possible. But that's where the tournament staff needs to step in. At some point it just becomes way too out of line. And I do think that when you get down to the later stages of a tournament of this magnitude, and this is the biggest tournament in the world, the biggest spot for all of these players in the world that they will ever have in their poker lives. You should have a tournament director for each table. I don't know when that starts. Let's say that starts with ten tables left. You're then able to have ten tournament directors. But when there's twenty tables left, there's still ten tournament directors, and each of them have two tables to manage, right, And then there's thirty tables left, each of them and have three tables to manage, whatever that is, and that number obviously gets smaller and smaller as you go on. My point is that you need to like physically be watching this stuff like a hawk, because you know this has been a problem before. Tanking and stalling for the paye jumps has been an issue for as long as I can remember. I remember, heck years ago, I don't even know the years, like maybe twenty fifteen, twenty fourteen. I could look it up, but I'm not going to look it up right now. But when I was at Pokerings at the time and we implemented hand for hand coverage from the final three tables, and I remember one of the tables was playing a lot slower than the other tables were playing. And so the tournament staff came to us because they knew that that we were, you know, covering it hand for hand, and they asked us to give them a report whenever we would ask on what hand number each table was on, and then they would they would see that and they'd be like, Okay, this table is on hand number thirty, this table is on hand number forty five. Well, this one table's playing so much slower than the one. We need to pause the other tables and a lot of these other tables to catch up, or maybe we need to go watch the one table to see what's actually happening there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I know at the studio when we get down to certain number of tables, they're kind of soft hand for handling it, and they're just they're counting how many hands are being played at each table, and they're monitoring things, and they're constantly pausing one table so that another table can catch up and everything can be played on equal footing. So we need that level of focus on this tournament when it's the biggest tournament in the world, So that would have been the simple fix. Today, you come out ahead of time. First of all, you speak to all the tournament directors you know, and you say, hey, listen, here's what we're going to do today.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: You each have these tables to cover and this is what you're monitoring. And if it gets out of line, you need to issue warning to the players. You need to start clogging them right. And then after you have your talk with your staff, you can say to the players in the tournament, Okay, everyone, here's the deal. This is becoming issue. We've noticed it happening. We're not going to implement a clock, but this is what's happening. Everyone is going to be on a relatively short short leash. We understand these are big moments for you and you need to take your time and you need to think about things. But if it is deemed that you guys are abusing the time that is allotted to you, which is you know, abusing means when you bet ninety nine percent of your chips you leave it behind, you basically say that you're Because there has been times and they shown it on a stream where they've been like, you know what, I'm just going to tank for the pay jump. But I'm probably calling like they'll say stuff like that the players. I've been at tables when people have said that, I get it, these are big pay jumps. But if you're openly saying that, and you're you're betting the large majority of your chips and then you should be calling like that, that's that's abuse of the situation, okay, and the tournament staff should stay on top of that, and then you don't need to abruptly put this clock into play, which in a lot of ways changes the dynamics of the whole tournament. It's very weird that a decision like this would be made on day seven, or entering day seven of the biggest tournament in the world. I do think that clocks need to be implemented in this tournament at some stage because of the tanking and the stalling that starts to happen. Yes, but doing it this way just I don't think sits right with me, and I don't think sits right with a lot of people. As you saw from the response on social media that said looks like things made it through the day. I guess unscathed because there wasn't a big issue that I could tell. I mean, I don't know if this means that next year we're for sure getting the clocks on day seven or maybe even sooner, but I would guess that the answer is yes. I just would have done it a different way. As always, if you guys have any thoughts out there and you want to hit me up directly about them, you guys can hit me up on social media. You can also send your emails into podcasts at pokro dot com and I can see what you guys happened to say. Hosting. Enson also bagged chips for Day eight. This run is becoming absolutely freaking incredible because he won this tournament in twenty nineteen and now he's in the final twenty one and he looks strong, he looks cool, he looks calm, he looks collected, he's playing his game. He looks awesome. I'm sure when you've had experience, I mean, when you've had experience, many people have said it, when you've had experience going deep in this tournament before, you then know how to do things the next time around. It just really really helps you. When you've gone on to win it before, I mean, must feel like a freaking superpower out there, honestly, and hosting Enson is just absolutely doing the damn thing. If he's able to win this one, I mean, it has to be the greatest feat in the modern era.
Speaker 4: It just has to be.
Speaker 1: I would put it ahead of Michael Mazra what he did last year, and that's winning the fifty k and then winning the main event. If if Entson's able to win two WSP main events, don't I don't know what the field size was in twenty nineteen, it was probably around eight or nine thousand whatever, you know, just a giant field. You're playing for whatever, how many, nine, ten days or whatever of actual poker across two weeks. And to be able to do that twice in this era, with how hard this tournament is, that's just wild shit, man, unbelievable. Thomas Klack from the UK he also backtips played very well. Pretty crazy stat here about Thomas Klack. He finished second in I think it was twenty twenty five in a tournament in the UK, a two hundred pound buy in the Grosvenner Goliath the tournament and he won two hundred pound buy him. Okay, guys, he won two hundred and seventeen thousand pounds. That's two hundred and ninety two thousand dollars. The field size was twelve nine hundred sixty one entries. I mean, holy hell. Antonio Galliana is still in Mario Boss Han Feng, Daniel Stavas, Michael Gaggliano Gags a longtime pro strong online player, a ton of experience out of New Jersey. He is a bracelet winner. From twenty sixteen, he won the twenty five hundred dollars no limit hold him for four hundred and forty eight thousand dollars. Jamie Schevell also a player out of the US. Now this is a wild stat. Shavel has cashed in the WSB Main Event eight times now eight times. Listen to this. Two thousand and nine he finished in three hundred and fifth place. Twenty eleven, he got one hundredth In twenty twelve, he got three hundred and seventy six. In twenty sixteen, he got two hundred and fifty ninth. In twenty seventeen, he got four hundred and fifteenth. In twenty twenty two he got six hundred and thirtieth, and then in twenty twenty four he got thirteen hundred and tenth so eight w Soupete main event cashes for Jamie Chevelle, and this is of course his best one to date. But that is an absolutely incredible line of results in this tournament. Just wild stuff there from Jamie Chevelle. Romaine Lewis still left an established French pro bracelet winner. In twenty twenty one, he won the ten K Super Turbo Bounty for four hundred and sixty three thousand dollars. Lori Saskillatti, I butchered that last name. I'm sorry. Finished player fifteen point six million in today eight. Brock Wilson. We've talked about mister Wilson, how it wasn't the best summer for him after a great start to the year, but he's doing the damn thing here. Brock Wilson had a pretty crazy day. At one point he got it all in against the gentleman that I just mentioned, Sascalotti. They got it all in on the turn of a king high board. Believe it was King three deuce six. Brock Wilson had King Queen, Sascalotti had Ace three and I was bluffing and he hit an ace on the river that knocked brock Wilson down quite short, but then brock Wilson was able to spin it back a little bit and put thirteen point six million chips in the back. So that's twenty about twenty two and a half big blinds. Entering to day eighth, Greg Mueller mister FBT himself still alive and he spoke with Remco Renkima during play today. And this is one of the realist conversations that you're going to hear, because you know, not a lot of people are able to admit that they might have been losing motivation, they might have been losing the passion for the game. But Greg Mueller not only admitted that, he said, you know what, I'm going to do something about it. I'm gonna buckle down it and I'm gonna get serious for this Dipesope main event. So here's the conversation that Greg Mueller had with Remco.
Speaker 2: Greg, we talked on the bubble and what you said surprised me. Where you said, you know, I lost the fire, I didn't really want to be here, and then you to commitment to yourself to go and try in the main event. We're a few days later, now, like, what has that experience been like.
Speaker 4: It's been amazing and a big part of it. Obviously, my goal is to win the main event. Next goal is to get to the final table. But regardless of what happens, I can. I can be proud of myself because I you know, I started doubting myself because of the lack of effort and lost enthusiasm I had for the game. And when you don't enjoy something, it's very difficult to be good at. And you know, like I said, conversation with a couple of good buddies and they're like, what are you doing here? Then you know, and it made me realize, don't come if you're not gonna try. So, you know what, Okay, the main it's not over. I'm gonna go for it in the main. And I would say based on my focus, my time, my composure, my success, I've been all in once for my tournament life and I'm gonna walk away no matter what I finish, knowing that I can still play the game of poker. And yeah, it's that that makes me proud, regardless.
Speaker 2: Of what I do. When you say out loud that you lost the fire, what are the thoughts that come to mind as to how that happens or what that means.
Speaker 4: I just just you know, I need stimulation and I sitting in a chair for twelve hours and getting older doesn't do it for me. I'm active, I like to move, I like to work out. I like to go out with friends. I like the golf, I like to play hockey. And when you're playing poker, you're making the commitment to sit on a chair for twelve hours and causes weight gain, it causes bad eating habits. It's it's all things that I don't like, and so and truthfully, you know, you got to study a lot to be good, hone your craft, and I'm on the golf course, I'm not studying, and so you know, people are are solving the game and it's frustrating too. So it's a combination of all these things. And you know these this these last week, I've been intensively chatting with Bucky, my my good friend, and we go over hams all the time. We're discussing. So I'm learning the gto part to go with my natural poker abilities, my live reads, my instincts, and like I said, I'm enjoying it and I'm trying. And when that combination hits I'm it's proving that I still got it.
Speaker 2: Did you have to remind yourself? Like, hey, I'm Greg Mueller, I know how I know how this works.
Speaker 4: Hundred I I you know, I kind of lost my identity in the poker world, so to say, because I just had that attitude of not wanting to be there. And like I said, whether whether you're an actor, an athlete, a pizza driver, a painter, a musician, if you don't enjoy what you're doing, you're not gonna be good. And it just kind of came. It actually got a bit heated with a buddy and I where he was giving me some tough love and said, hey, FBT, like, if you don't want to be here, then fly home, but stop putting in these half efforts and burning money and go and leaving and you know, and so like I said, it's uh, yeah, I'm thrilled to be where I'm at. My next goal is to to get through the day and then and then make the final table, and then I'll fly home. My trainer's gonna move in with me for two and a half weeks. I'm gonna drop a quick twenty LB's and come hungry for the final table, and I mean hungry.
Speaker 1: You love to hear that from Greg Mueller. There very much seems in tune with where he stands in this whole thing, very much in tune with himself. And now the next goal is to make the final table, and we'll see if he can do it. Dylan Smith still alive as well, one of the shorter stacks. These are the shorter stacks now that we're talking about. Dylan Smith won the twenty twenty four WPT Seminal Hard Rock Rock and Roll Poker Open for six hundred and sixty two thousand dollars. He want to bracelet this summer. Earlier this summer twenty twenty six dos a p twenty five hundred dollars mixed Big Bet for one hundred and eighty two k. Dylan Smith certainly one of the best all around players in the world. You can definitely tell from the way he's playing this main event that he values his tournament life to the utmost superiority. And it's likely because at least this is my guess, is that he thinks he has an edge over the field, which I mean, maybe not every single player in the field, but I think out of all the twenty one players remaining, and for much of the day, of course, there was more than twenty one players remaining, but during this day, on Day seven, I would say that Dylan is in the upper the upper portion, you know, a small little win let's say five or ten percent of top skillful players left in the field. So that said, he doesn't really need to increase the variants. In fact, he's trying to lower the variants as much as possible so he's able to apply his skill across a greater stretch of hands, across every single street. You know, there were some spots where you could argued that he could have easily just moved all in, but he opted to take a more conservative route to things, and ultimately it's worked out because you know, Dylan hasn't had the biggest stack all throughout this tournament, but he is moving on to day eight. Todd Brunson is also still remaining. He's the second shortest stack heading to day eight, and then we have Tolga Karakaya out of Germany is bringing up the rear with three million in chips. That's going to be I think five big lines entering a day eight. So that's that's the final twenty one players. Really good group of players, a very strong group of players, a lot of you know, a lot of big names in here, some top pro some really skillful players, cool stories.
Speaker 3: In the mix.
Speaker 1: I think we're in We're in store for a very very fun final table. Really, no matter how this shakes out, it's been a lot of fun to track these players all throughout, and we got one more day to get down to that final table of nine. I mentioned there were sixty two players that came in to Day seven. A handful of those that were eliminated were Kongya Zang sixty first place for her, she was the last woman standing. Ralph Perry, he called it off incorrectly on a hero call. He really went for it, but ultimately didn't work out for him. He had he had a pair in his hand, he had a pair of eights and what it was like third pair on board or something, but he ran into his opponent's set. He busted in forty fourth place. We lost Jacob Thibodeau and Kay Lautenbacher forty third for Thibodeau. Lautenbaker got forty second. Two guys I've played quite a bit with around town here in Las Vegas. Both of them are on the younger side. Both of them are very solid. I would expect to see much more from them in the future. We also lost start of day chip leader Tyler Gaston in thirty seventh place. We lost Patrick Leonard in thirty seconds. Patrick Leonard Son, I know he didn't make it through the day. There was a lot of love from Patrick Leonard. I'm a big PADS fan. I've talked about him many times on this podcast. Love what he stands for, love the grind, love his passion for poker. I love it all when it comes to Patrick Leonard. I know a lot of people out there were rooting for PADS. Ultimately, he did fall short. He lost a big flip. But you know, what are you gonna do when it's all said and done. But I do want to play this interview that this interview that Patrick did with Remco came before he busts it out, so you know, I do, but I do want to play it for you guys anyway, you know, before we ultimately say goodbye. Here to Patrick Leonard from the wasb min event. So here is Patrick Leonard talking to Remco on day seven.
Speaker 2: We talked yesterday, and you mentioned that this is more about soaking in and enjoying the experience than it is about celebrating the wind. Potentially, Yeah, twenty years from now, if you were to watch back this video or think back of this experience, what would you hope to remember?
Speaker 3: Probably just having fun. I think every hand there's something fun about it. It's like something interesting about it, something quirky. It's been a very intense day because there's shot clocks and the four hands into the day. I use all of my time banks, so I have to make every decision. Well, I had to make every decision within twenty seconds basically, So I'm playing basically blinds of like twenty five fifty thousand dollars, which is obviously high stakes than anywhere else which is running in the world right now. So I'm doing it with twenty seconds at a time. So in between hands, instead of necessarily having so much fun, I've tried to, like, what would I do if this happens?
Speaker 1: This happens?
Speaker 3: This happens because brain solving with emotion, brain solving when you're tired after seven days is quite tough. It's quite funny because online you actually have like fifteen secons and you have other tables, so people like, what are you talking about? But I just haven't played quite these stakes before, so it's gone a little bit less from having fun and then a little bit more from intensity. And at this stage, I think people expected it to be like fifty people left and there's thirty two because the shot clocks have just made it play like three times as many hands. So yeah, just trying to.
Speaker 5: Work around that.
Speaker 2: Basically, does the intensity and pressure come from your current situation being shorter, or does it also come from the moment.
Speaker 3: It comes from other people as well. I feel like if I think energy is like energy comes from other people. You know, if if a guy at the table starts being like a jerk, everyone else will kind of like hide away kind of thing where you have like a really nice guy who social whatever, everyone else just kind of like comes out their shell too. So everyone's stacks are swinging up and down and people are losing, you know, like millions of dollars in EV or winning millions of dollars in EV. So you're just trying to feed up other people's energy. Like I don't want to necessarily crack a joke with a guy who's just lost like three million dollars in ev But if a guy next to me, he's just one, you know, a big part, I'll give them a litle fish one under the table. So it's a yes. It was very laid back, chilled. Today is very intense.
Speaker 2: I would say, do you think you're one of the few left aware of how big this moment is?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so. I don't think it's lost on anybody. I think everyone's everyone seems to be really soaked in. There has been a few spots where like people are just like, let's say, gambled quote unquote. But it's not necessarily the worst thing to do to gamble. Now, you know, the pay rumps from two sixty five to three twenty five is a lot. It's you know, over fifty thousand dollars, but first place is ten million and we're not that far from it now we're like last three and a half tables, so you have to get one table down and h Yeah, playing for the win isn't necessarily the worst thing. Especially with the shot clock and intensity, you can kind of take an advantage of a big stack.
Speaker 2: So yeah, final question, what does it take if you still need to do stuff to get to that point, to walk away feeling proud of your your accomplishment and your performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I never really feel pride, to be honest, after a tournament. It's usually you always remember the hands you played bad or you could have done something different, rather than the hands you played well. So it's not usually an emotion I have. But I'm not sure I'm imagining. I try to always plan for different scenarios so that I don't get too overwhelmed one way or another, too happy two side, And yeah, I'm kind of prepared to go out as the next player, but I'm not trying to. I basically, you just don't want to try to play day seven waiting for Day eight tomorrow. I want to play at the moment right now and try to get as many chips as like I'm listening.
Speaker 1: So that was Pad's great run for him, great score of course. Now I'm sure he's gonna turn his attention to watching his home country of England to try and bring it home in the world. Cuppie Pantaleo another player who I've played quite a bit with around town. He busted in twenty fifth place. Fun little note about Giuseppe. So I'm in the Poker Steak Giant group, theed where we all have to post our receipts and stuff to settle all the steak in arrangements that we do on poker Steak. After he busted, Giseppe posted that he hopped into three k PLO six max I think or whatever that three k plo tournament is that that started at the World Series today. All the respect to him, because there's no way in hell I'd be able to do that. After busting this deep in the WSITP main event and then we lost Jaulu in twenty second place. He was the last player to bust on the day. He was once over forty million. I'm not sure if he touched fifty million or not, but he had a bowload of chips and then all of a sudden he just collapsed, like started just losing all these different pots. He paid off a big bet to Jue Milan kind of late in the night when Jumalan had a Broadway straight and Lou just had a pair of bases, so that was a big loss, and then ultimately busted after that and he was out the door in twenty second place. So that leaves us with twenty one players left in the World Series of Poker Main Event. They are all headed to Day eight on Monday. They are all guaranteed three hundred and twenty five thousand dollars. The next pay jump will be when there are seventeen players left. Those seventeen players will get four hundred and ten thousand dollars and then we will go from there. The goal is The goal is on Monday to reach the twenty twenty six WSP Main Event Final table, the final table for the greatest poker tournament in the world. The final nine are all guaranteed. Once they get there, they will all be guaranteed one million dollars with a giant a massive shout out, massive ten million dollars up top. I mean, this has been freaking awesome to watch from start to finish. I will be watching as much as I can on Monday, and of course be watching the final table as always. You guys need to tune in to the coverage because it is blockbuster out there. I can't wait to see it. Shawnde, Will Givens and so on doing the thing. We got the young, the young, an up and coming Aussie Malcolm trainor I mean, it's just it's so cool to see all of this come together and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds and what the final nine bring for us.
Speaker 4: But that's it.
Speaker 1: That's the pod. As always, thank you very much for listening. Shout out to producer Rich. My name is Donnie Peters and I will talk to you guys next time.
Speaker 3: Jenny