Speaker 1: Well, one of these days, I promise I will look at the intro music. I'll figure out what's going on. The wonderful countdown here, really driving up, getting this pumped here. I am going to open the door today A man that's a door man.
Speaker 2: A door Matt, a door man for no one. I will be John. Uh, that was wild. We will talk about that.
Speaker 1: We have at least the opening game TV ratings to talk about, courtesy Mike Mitchell, plus everything UFL Week one here.
Speaker 2: Thanks everyone for joining us. First off, John, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good man. It was an interesting first week. As the old Native Americans saying goes, may you live in interesting times. That's not always a blessing. But we'll see what happens. I mean, there's going to be a lot of overreaction, understandable, but I think there's gonna be some legitimate reaction here. So we're gonna see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so we're here today, like and subscribe. We'll be back.
Speaker 1: The attempt is every week here during the UFL season. I was just telling John off camera, kind of just really busy times for me, thankfully good. So we will do our best to be here every week. I like the Tuesdays because we can do the TV ratings. But we were lucky today that we were blessed with at least the opening. Well, I don't know if that would admit your UFL management. I don't know if you feel blessed with that, but we'll talk to about that. So anyway, like and subscribe to free Row Retros jerseys given out to winners here once we get to four thousand subscribers, has a code for Dustin's Row Retros to get discounts. In the meantime, we're kind of co branding this year, So John, what is that? If you want ten percent off Row retros? But like and subscribe, give a thumbs up. Dustin's long friend, a longtime friend. He's even helping me out with a custom jersey I'm doing right now. But John, what would you want people to do?
Speaker 3: Well? I appreciate that, and Dustin has been awesome to work with for sure. Yeah. But if you go to Royal Retros and you use code j LS John Lewis Sports when you check out, you get ten percent off your entire order, So that that's awesome. I appreciate you. Always let me up plug that.
Speaker 1: Let's see that everyone's checking in here, So we'll go through. We'll do general thoughts on the weekend, we'll talk to the TV ratings, and then we'll go through the games. I did my best catching up, you know, baseball opening weekend. I was at the Mariners game yesterday, John, I kind of missed all of that at the end of the game, which David Well I was. You know, I was a little buzz last night just coming out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: We uber down and went to the game, and I was watching the Memphis game here and we were texting, and then we went to the game and I, you know, I caught the end of the game whatever. And I'm sitting here today and I go, wow, I completely kind of missed all of that, the engagement and everything at the end of the So we will talk through all that. Also, I was on Rod Peterson Show today, so check that out as well. The Canadians always like hearing of that. You know, I was how bad was the UFL kickoffs? So but we'll share with thoughts, John. I tweeted out last night and I'll see if I can pull it up here. But you know, a grade UFL you know, kickoff weekend. I had a lot of c's and d's in my group chat, you know, in my comments, What did you make of kind of just UFL weekend overall?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean I think see my for for a lot of this overall might be a little generous. Maybe you're grading on a curve here that there was some that were better than others. But yeah, I was we talked last week. I was very optimistic going in, or at least cautiously optimistic. Maybe not very optimistic. It's it's one week. You know, we don't need a off launch for a league that is entering the second season, So I'm willing to give it a break. I said last week. I was kind of talking out of both sides of my mouth. I'm interested to see what the ratings are, but I'm also almost ready to throw them out because because of March madness and a lot of and baseball and a lot of other things going on. So I think probably the UFL would like to throw those ratings out for this first week as well.
Speaker 1: It's really hard, and I was talking about this with Rod and everything too, like it's just the worst time, and I know they did decent ratings last year. We'll talk through the game I haven't pulled up one point one eight one last year.
Speaker 2: So to give the context Saturday day for that, I thought it was good. At the time.
Speaker 1: You're going up, as we've said before, March madness and baseball and everything.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's all that I saw.
Speaker 1: Obviously I'm seeing the UFL teams because I followed them and kind of engage in that. But you know, algorithmically, it's a really tough weekend to kind of break in, I think, and just even get any casual fans and no disrespect. But until the game last night, I thought the first three games really had nothing to write home about it. I know you said the Memphis game got more exciting than the second half, but that first half Sunday morning, I mean that was when Rod and everyone was texting me, I'm home, I'm watching this game. What's going on? Why is there anyone here? We can talk through attendance as well, but you know, you know, down across the board, I think Memphis only had forty three hundred people, which is if the UFL is putting that out, then that's obviously the high end of kind of tickets distributed. So to me, it was tough that way where even if ratings come in decently and we'll talk to you know, six hundred ninety thousand for the opening game, I don't feel like you saw a lot from a casual fan that would bring you back next week. Mike Mitchell, I guess as well put it up on here just to go with our thoughts. You know, the first game peaked in the first fifteen minutes, as you would you know, eight hundred and forty four thousand dropped average six hundred nine, so obviously peaked. You would like to see that peak at the end. Gives us a gauge. Any comments I kind of rambled there. Any thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: No, I think it peaked in the first fifteen minutes because a lot of people tuned in, and I think they saw not necessarily the product on the field. I thought the broadcast was below average. I mean, frankly, you know, the fans deserve better than what I think Fox is giving them. It was interesting to see the how different the Fox the two Fox games were from the two ESPN games, and read you and I have talked before. Usually the Fox presentation has been so much better than the ESPN. Not that the ESPN presentation was bad but frankly Fox was better and there was no pregame. It was one of the things that I talked about when I said that I think Fox can make this a thing. How about at least maybe a ten minute pre game that gives you a little something. ESPN did that, and I don't understand why Fox did not. Joel Klatt does a great job. Give me Kevin Kugler and Joel Klatt to there you go, Leon Knows. Give me two guys who I think have a really, you know, a lot of interest in this league. Joel Clatt. Every time I hear him speak, it's like I'm learning something from him. I mean, he's so good. And Kevin Kugler has just like legitimate excitement for the league. At one point, Kurt Menafee called called the Houston Rough next to Houston Rough Riders. I mean, what are we doing here? At some point? And you know, you have to get people in here who are invested. He fumbled so many times it's almost like he's parachuted in and he's just not interested in this league. For maybe the casuals, they don't really care. You obviously know it wasn't the Houston rough Riders for us, you know, hardcore fans. It's that's not what we want to see. It's almost it's almost insulting to watch something like that. And I hate to be hard on announcers. I'm not. I mean, you can go to my channel and see from about twenty years ago when I attempted to call college football play by play. It's very hard to do and I was no good at it, and that's why I'm sitting in my basement talking UFL with you. So we but there are people who are very good in the Fox stable, and I don't know why they continue to make Kurt Menafee the number one play by play guy for those kinds of things. As a Seahawks fan, he was the play by play guy for you know, Seahawks preseason and it was brutal every time. I'm just he's a fine studio host. But if the if Fox wants to make this a thing, there are a lot of ways to improve it from what we saw Friday night and what we frankly saw Saturday afternoon. And I think that's one piece of it. Yeah, ran over.
Speaker 2: No, And I agree.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because, like I said, people really do have their flavor. If you want the you know, esp under the Fox side. You know what I feel like a lot on the ESPN at folks is you get the not all the time in the heads of generous, you do get kind of the leftovers or the people working their way up.
Speaker 2: And so you get a lot of that.
Speaker 1: I turned on and you see Jordan Rodgers trying to sit there with whoever the side person was and airing the ESPN bets and they're.
Speaker 2: Like, what's like, what's the point swing of this game?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we had the four quarterbacks and it's really they just don't even know what to talk about because you can't talk about betting on this league, and there's no one does anyway, and you certainly aren't going to bet on this game this league in week one when you don't even really know who these starting quarterbacks are going to be or whether they're going to play. Are they really doing two or they you know, we're okay, we're going to do one one quarter and one of the next. If the drive carries over, then we'll I mean, just I get all that, and it's league building and we're trying to figure out all this stuff.
Speaker 2: But then the announcers have nothing to talk about either.
Speaker 3: But I will say in ESPN's defense here, they did not beat us over the head with the gambling. I thought they integrated it pretty well. It wasn't you know. And hey man, Joe Tessitur was selling it to us too, But there they didn't, you know. I think last year there was too much talk they really tried to just kind of beat you over the head with the with the whole gambling aspect of it. I really like the way that they integrated it a little more and it seemed a lot more natural. But you're right, it's I don't know where these point spreads came from. I mean, you know, and ESPN had prop bets, which that was interesting, but yeah, we had draft kings and bet MGM. I don't know if they ever I never could find anything as far as point spreads. I did see the futures on there, so I don't know where they got them. I am interested to see what the point spreads will be this week now where we have a little taste of what these teams might be. But again it's over reaction Monday all the time. After you know, a weekend of what we see for the first week, it's it's still coming together.
Speaker 1: In terms of just kind of the slow kick gob lyon here. As the comment players threatening to walk out lead the league didn't help matters in attendance, Erratians, I agree with that. You also had this weird excuse me for, and I'm really battling the illness of this. If I'm mute in comm I'm totally fine. I just said I am sick, and then the Mariners straighten up. Ron's like, now you sound really sick. But the you know you had that, we have obviously had the impending strike.
Speaker 2: Then we have Kevin. What's Kevin Seifert? Right? I should Kevin friends and show Kevin. You know. The players have issued a letter.
Speaker 1: We're going to give it to Dwayne Johnson when he shows up tonight. They've advertised that the Rock is going to be industan.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's old news Friday now at this point, considering they played the weekend. But I thought that was a very poorly written letter, a very poorly conceived kind of plan that this is what we're going to do because we're so frustrated with Darryl and Russ Brandon and we haven't been able to get through and you know, we want to get the Rock involved and kind of like corner him into this thing of like, well, we know you don't care, but you have more money and power, so please get involved in that.
Speaker 2: Then you had to come out that the Rock wasn't going to be there.
Speaker 1: But then it was a plane issue and he was supposed to go from Hawaii, and then he had did you watch all that where he posted like the pilot came out and got down anyway, so the Rock wasn't there. And then yeah, then the ratings were kind of stinky. He was advertised to the media and they pulled out. Like the whole thing was just weird. So like I don't even know what Fox or you Fella or anyone expected going into this. It was really just the weirdest Friday of like, okay, is this even happening here?
Speaker 2: Like what's going on?
Speaker 3: Well, and then you had you know, it was at Houston. I did do some research and I found I finally found the answer. America's Dome or whatever they call it there in Saint Louis was not available because the World of Asphalt Convention was happening, so they could not play Friday Night at the Dome. Still, I still believe they could have found a different game other than at Houston. You know, we kept joking about it, what a gamble you're gonna take here? No pun intended with Houston to you know, have this Friday night game there. You know it's outdoors, which you know they all are except for San Antonio, I guess in Saint Louis. But but it was, you know, they didn't show up. They didn't really show that much when it was at TDECU in the first place. They showed up less at Rice because people said Rice. It was. It was just a terrible set up all the way around. And then you know, I it was funny when I did a video and I had some and I talked about it was it was a gamble and will Houston fans show up? And somebody said, well, you're going to be making another video where you're apologizing to all the Houston fans, and that's not a video that's gonna get made. So we saw what was it, seven thousand announced and you know a lot of a lot of people dressed as empty chairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wanted to pull that up too. That's actually a great point.
Speaker 1: And we had talked and just speaking kind of ratings, then we will do all the games here. Because I got thoughts about Donald and the Panthers, and we've got stuff about that, and the posted in the post game with the Stallions and the defenders and all that.
Speaker 2: But uh, you you have if I'm looking here.
Speaker 1: At the schedule and I can pop this up, you know, because we had talked about this, and when we did the schedule breakdown, you know, so obviously Houston on that you knew that was going to be poor next week. I don't think ford Field is getting shown up for that as well. And then you do have a Friday in Birmingham week three TBD on that and a Birmingham and weather and heat and is it gonna be it is the tornado coming?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: We have other was the lightning strikes kind of all that. We'll see what that goes. You just aren't setting yourself up a lot. You're back at ford Field. You're just not setting yourself up well for that. We do have the final numbers on here. Let me make sure I point that up by see Max asking that I have two of the tabs or things bookmarks here Houston seven thousand again, and these are all on the high end.
Speaker 2: Right, they're the leads.
Speaker 3: These are announced crowds, right.
Speaker 1: Seven thousand that for Houston, ten for Arlington. I would feel good about that, just kind of given kind of given them back and forth of that Memphis sub five and then d C normally does about sixteen seventeen thousand if memory serves down to about twelve thousand for that For this Sunday night game. I mean, that's kind of your prime time, you know, Sunday night, that's kind of DC gets out a lot. Stallion's coming in. I should have you know, it could have been a really high atmosphere and the pretty live cluster.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And you know, again when we say announced crowds, anyone who's been around sports and professional college whatever, high level where you know seats matter and people and the fans matter. When you say announced crowd, that's not the crowd that showed up. Because I think if anyone watched that Memphis game, and frankly, Memphis is a lot better team and you know, so there there's not going to be I know, they lost, but there's not going to be a lot of excuses for those fans not to show up. Now, I will say the league needs to give them a solid here. They had an eleven o'clock am local time game. You're going up against the NCAA tournament, which unfortunately, I mean they didn't know at the time, but you know, the Tennessee volunteers are playing in the Sweet sixteen, so that's probably going to put a herd on the crowd. You've got the church crowd, who's not going to show up for an eleven o'clock game. There were just a lot of things that I thought could be wrong, and we talked about it last week. It felt like they maybe should should have flipped the d C Birmingham game with with that Memphis game, and I thought that might have been the better idea for that. Again, it's all about you know what's available and how you do it. I know there's strategy behind some of these things. I don't I don't understand what the strategy was there.
Speaker 2: Last comment here on this from me.
Speaker 1: We'll do a couple of comments and then we'll transition to the games here because I have a comment here that will lead to that. It's just hard and we've talked on here and people are always gonna talk ratings, and I've always said this on here, you the matchup doesn't necessarily right. You have a lot of people, oh you know the DC Birmingham game generally it's dates and timeslots, so you you do want to position you know, it's kind of like the horror car before the horse that way, So you want to position your best game in that best time slot. But I don't think people are watching the UFL based on the teams that are playing and then then the time slot.
Speaker 2: But I think the league, like.
Speaker 1: You said, needs to work on that because you look here at this the Friday night horrendous. So that let's look at just a couple comments here and then we'll have to that, you know, unforced errors made by the gravel.
Speaker 2: Aw does that time of attendance solid? The account tickets just should be dead? Where was the other one? Oh? Yeah here, so this will be where we transition.
Speaker 1: She got, Really, what's worse Houston's attendance or they're actually play on the field. Because here's the thing, right, Anthony Miller, and we're going to have our power rankings. We've had a lot of talk about, you know, Chris Johnson and everything for All Football Dot Com. Here the decision to keep critis to this year we said was bad.
Speaker 2: We kind of knew this was going to be bad.
Speaker 1: And then to kind of see what was going on here on the field, do you remove Curtis Johnson at this like what is your thoughts? A just on Houston the game right getting blown out by Saint Louis at home, but then just how bad they looked in the process.
Speaker 3: They didn't look competitive when you start talking about body language, you know, and I think it was like in the second quarter, it's like it was no, it was bad. There was one point where and they showed it a couple of different times where Tom Cable was talking to CJ and it almost felt like he was trying to tell him how to coach this team. Curtis Johnson looks a little lost sometimes on the sidelines, and I don't understand it's the criticism that we had last year. What we thought about going into this year was a surprise that he was coming back. You know, some of the play calling and I'm not play calling guy, but some of the play calling that we saw, I don't understand it. Now He's coached a lot more football than I have, but I did not understand a lot of it, and it led to what you're seeing right there on the screen thirty one to six, taking don't take anything away from Saint Louis. Manny Wilkins was incredible, and you know, I mean that team offensively and defensively, they were doing a lot of good things. But if Saint Louis had any questions or they really kind of needed it almost felt like a preseason game. It's like they've got some you know, they've kind of retooled a lot of things on offense. There was no better way to start the season for them than to play the Houston Roughnecks.
Speaker 1: Like you said, not to take anything away, right, So Saint louis Is is looking good here? Does that I don't know, does that negate anything they've done? What's the schedule coming up to week two? Here they'll be playing.
Speaker 2: I got too many freaking tabs open here.
Speaker 1: What what do you see Saint Louis doing here? Do you feel bullish on them? I mean the league needs them to be well to succeed.
Speaker 3: Agreed. You know, I don't want to again take a whole lot away from week one, especially week one and you're playing the Houston Roughnecks. But uh, you know they can get tested there in Week two with San Antonio. Now san Antonio didn't look great, but they're they're going to be a better team. Kellen Mond, a quarterback for San Antonio, when he starts to get into rhythm and kind of gets more comfortable, I think that's going to be a much better team. Saint Louis. I'm bullish on them. I was a little worried because of all kind of the coaching turmoil that happened before the season. Then there was the whole and we we've talked about that, you know, ad nauseum with the quarterback changes and everything. Uh, and then when they went into when they went into the season, they posted, you know, our starting quarterbacks, so it was like Manny Wilkins and Max Duggan. Well, sometimes if you got two quarterbacks, you don't have any But I think there was some talk about maybe making packages for different ones, for different quarterbacks, but there was no way to pull Manny Wilkins the way he was playing. You just couldn't do it. Now Max Duggan did get into the game late, but yeah, I just from that from that initial you know game, and you're trying to take what you can from a from a first game against the Houston Roughnecks. I like what I saw offensively and defensively.
Speaker 1: In terms of the AJ McCarron them at all. And there's been a lot made about his you know and pr and everything else with that. Do the battle Hawks need him, did the ratings need him? I don't think that would have mattered. I don't think he was that big. I mean, I don't want to take anything away from him and kind of his popularity that way. But and we'll have to see we I mean, you can't look at the Rough, you know, the Rough next year and kind of give too much against the teams playing them. But it was that needed? Was it time to move on? It looks like I mean, they put up a ton of points.
Speaker 3: They did. You know, when Manny Wilkins had some opportunities, he did win a game for Saint Louis, but he didn't look great a couple of times, right, Leon's right. It was a layup for him, So yeah, you can hit layups all the time, so that I think that was probably a good thing. I yeah, I don't want to take anything away from AJ mccerron. I thought it was interesting that when he did leave. I've yet to hear any of his teammates really come to his defense. Maybe they have and I just haven't seen it, which is very possible. But I think that it felt like Saint Louis as a franchise, as a team, they were ready for something new and needed to go a little little bit in a different way, and that's what they did with Manny Wilkins and Max Duggan. And Max Duggan was a huge signing. But you know, Manny came in there and did what he did and looked off good in that first or in that first game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would want love to know the politics and obviously all team sports and especially football in.
Speaker 2: The locker room and kind of all that.
Speaker 1: But I would love to know, especially in the league like this with all of this stuff with the strikes and the labor and the rest and all that, like because yeah, you have someone like AJ mccerran. Imagine if he's still involved in this, right yeah, and the strike and like well do I like, I just there's so many different levels of like the players right where I feel like in the NFL, and obviously you're gonna you know, the mahomes versus you know, the fourth strings starty whatever. But like, I just feel like here in the UFL, you might have someone that's like, this is my last shot or this is my only shot and I'm gonna I'm gonna look and.
Speaker 2: Craver, and then you have someone like a J.
Speaker 1: McCarran that's like, I'm just kind of over this, right, I just you know, hey, I can afford to do the strike.
Speaker 2: I have money saying I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just I think it would be fascinating to know kind of the politics of all.
Speaker 3: Those Yeah, and if that is the case, I mean, if he felt that way, then he needed to make room for someone else to come in there to really, you know, take advantage of the art opportunity. I thought, Manny Wilkins in, I thought we saw a lot of players take advantage on on all the teams. You know, there were even even the bad ones except Houston. It's really hard to find a positive out of any of that. But it felt like, you know, with the other teams, there are there are players out there who are showing some promise and then others who are you know, making that next step. So far, again, it's week one, but still.
Speaker 1: We had a couple of comments here a that Houston's players played like they were already on the strike. That's good, they said here. You know, if AJ played for Houston, that would have been more interesting. I mean, what what do you do with Houston now? I had the other comment I was looking for here, talking about you know how Mark Thompson was having a field day on Twitter and like Toto, he was kind of going crazy.
Speaker 2: And I thought that he was a little boyschous over the years.
Speaker 1: But I've I've mellowed out a lot in this off sea terms of like my my stress level with all this, and Mark Thompson doesn't really bother me as much as like maybe he did last year, but like.
Speaker 2: What do you do with this Houston thing?
Speaker 1: And there was the other comment I forgot to pull up before I think it was Jared had said, you know, there was all this talk like t TDECU, like that's the holy Grail, like all we need to do is get them back. Well, obviously that doesn't fix the play on the field, right Australa didn't fix the attendance. But I just know what you don't. I don't know what you do with Houston now it's two years past, kind of keeping at the branding. I saw Brandon Silvers was tweeted about that. I had fun conversations with them behind the scenes as well. A lot of people kind of enjoying the Houston downfall right now, I guess if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess I don't enjoy it because you need eight strong teams in this league for it to succeed, right, I mean, yeah, you're right, Leon's right about that. I mean, you know, there are a lot of people saying, we won't wade back. This was just this was It's brutal. Why why would you go number one? If you're if you're a football fan in Houston, why would you go to that? If they don't they're not putting something on the field. That's I think a lot of people want to watch obviously because they didn't show up, and the people who are in the know, not just the casual fan, the people who are in the know are probably like, why would we want to go back and see Curtis Johnson coaching again? You blew everybody out, you blow out the front office, you retool everything. Guy comes in there gets rid of like a you know, a dozen players or whatever it was, and then you kind of got the same thing, because what do you expect. You know, the buck usually stops at the head coach. And you know what we're seeing again, is I mean we've seen it happen before. Now we've seen we have seen a coach leave during the season. I think was when Rod Woodson, you know, left the Vipers, and that was a whole clown show in itself. You have to wonder if this continues. Now again, you can't pull the plug after week one, but if this continues, you have to think that the league has to have some difficult conversations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of comments here and then we'll move on Vihetian way. We're want to talk to some of these other teams. You can circle around. Yeah, Sam here, I'm gonna assume this is Samschot is probably not Samshort's team, but watch he probably has this in a little avatar. There can anyone explain why CJ. Johnson was at Fire. We all saw this coming. David here says, I swear the Brandon simmers Mark tweets that were better than the game. And then here's the last one from Zach and then a long time listener here, Zach gets mad when we don't do the regular Fridays.
Speaker 2: Do you think the next episode fire him?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, Houston's reported rebuilt didn't look like one part.
Speaker 2: Of me things.
Speaker 1: It could have been the British show on Turf and still lose. Just horrendous and we're Houston with PJ Walker and Jean Joe like everything kind of used to be. To see in what four short year five whatever after COVID and everything, like to see this again. Not that you have a lot of like legacy and goodwill in spring football, but you did, right Like I was on Rod Show and we're talking that's the difference of the CFL. You know that the saskatchewanwrob Friders, you know what the BC Lions. You kind of know what these teams are and they have any good will at all and then.
Speaker 2: Get rid of it.
Speaker 1: To me, it would be each tandem out to you know, the defenders or the say Louis, I mean Houston was there in that top echelon and just it's really disappointed.
Speaker 3: Well and as the commenter there said, well, a go, it's it's ruined the brand. You know, whatever that brand might be, it's a brand that some people might not know. The casual viewer and if they know it now, it's like it's not great. And then for all of us who know Houston and know what it should be as it should be, the Gamblers, maybe that's what they do. Maybe they change back to the Gamblers because the rough next brand, I mean, it's it's you know, it's New Coke.
Speaker 1: Right now, last comment for me on this one and we'll move to the Renegades game. We had media members at I think to two of the events, like very low attended, just from if we want to talk at that, just you know, if you want to gauge ining just and something. I think there were three or four people in the press box in Houston Friday night, so that that just speaks to kind of the local media interest in this. I think that to me is another sign. Same with like the you know, the open practices in Arlington, but obviously you can't do a Memphis open practice in Memphis or either the gauge, but seeing three or four media members.
Speaker 2: At the Houston kickoff game.
Speaker 1: It speaks to that you have anything else on the blowout bloodbath at tv CU.
Speaker 3: On it's not worth talking about. It's really not.
Speaker 2: So let me get up.
Speaker 1: Here and I really need to kind of navigate this side at some point and kind of figure out how to pull this stuff up. But let's talk renegades here. Anthony was there bright and early covering this. Anthony Miller tons on Allfootball dot Com today. I think already he has you know, the four postgame reports of all the games.
Speaker 2: We have Russ and Danny's comments.
Speaker 1: I think Pat Raffino has his Players of the Week article up. It's been really busy, so like super excited for that, just because you know, I kind of just help with the back end of that.
Speaker 2: So check all that out.
Speaker 1: Anthony has eyewinnessed reports and all of this renegades take care of business. I heard that Aj smith it was none looking too happy postgame thoughts kind of on this one and anything else.
Speaker 3: Well, this this one, I mean, was a surprise, not necessarily a surprise that Arlington won, but a surprise that Arlington won, you know that big yeah. I thought, like Kellen Mond and AJ smith Man, you put like that offensive coordinator with that quarterback, like some good things can happen. I think good things will happen for san Antonio once he gets a little bit you know, more use to the system. You know, Luis Perez looked like Louis Perez. I mean, look at that twenty for twenty five hundred and sixty four yards. No, I didn't throw a touchdown, but you know, their running game going was going pretty well. So it's good to see them back. It was good to see the Bandits the logo back. That was pretty cool that they brought it back for the Helmets. I mean, you know, it's the little things. I thought it was an interesting game, you know again, you know, you had poor Kurt Menafee, like we had a Devonte Smith, and we had like all kinds to just you know, disastrous calls there. What should you know, But it was exciting to see that. I think when Arlington is good that that helps the league. I mean, it would be nice if all eight teams you know were good. Listen, Arlington might be able to do some damage this year. It's it's not. I don't think this is going to be the team we saw last year.
Speaker 2: Uh, Anthony seems very high on them.
Speaker 1: I know that you were just at mister Luis Prez's kind of book Zoom and you have the copy. I'm surprised you were even able to put it down to a participation reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, light reading.
Speaker 1: You know, I kind of thought the Luis story was kind of done. Right, He's doing the book and the tour, and I'm kind of back and I'm gonna, I don't know, right, obviously hang on to this as long as not in a bad way, but participated as long as I can, and here you go. I mean, he's he's had a great game. I mean, how much how much gas do you think is left on that take? I'm just surprised. I really kind of thought this was like the farewell tour for Luiz.
Speaker 3: I thought exactly the same thing we've talked about it here. To me, you don't write a book if you're going to continue to play. But it was interesting that he said in in his virtual book tour that I attended that you know, if he you know, if his family is okay with it, if he feels good, if he's playing at a high level, he wants to continue to play. And he was very high on the UFL as a league and as the as we always say, the league of opportunity. He had nothing but good things to say. Now, again, I know this was a pr event. He wasn't there to make news. But you know he did talk about, you know, with the whole Viper situation, he was ready to retire, like he had had that conversation with his family, and he may have he may have told that story before, but he had had that conversation with his family. He gets traded to the Renegades and they win the XFL title, So I think that gave him a little bit more juice and he enjoyed playing the game again. It sounded like he did not enjoy playing it very much when he was with Vegas, and that was understandable because he's been through I mean, name a spring football league. I mean he I think he played for the World Football League back in the seventies. I don't been around forever. But he's playing at a high level. And we saw him play at a high level, you know, this weekend. So no, I absolutely, grid Iron Coasters is right.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: You have to appreciate his commitment to spring football. And you know he's he till he talked about the advice that he gives other quarterbacks. He's not in it just for himself. He's in there to kind of mentor these young guys. He still has that NFL dream but he also wants when the when football is finished, to coach. I think he'd be a great coach.
Speaker 1: Absolutely my only And then I have a couple of comments here because I do want to talk about san Antonio and kind of AJ Smith and all that.
Speaker 2: I just I love Louis. I mean I love Luis.
Speaker 1: He's been on the show, great guy filled in when we had all the like where Brian Scott I let go and then he had to come on.
Speaker 2: We just he's been very very amenable kind of over the years.
Speaker 1: I just whin he's like like him destroying and you know, Matt corral are like the three people that you point to for your league. That's where I have a problem because they had they seemingly used this week with the book tour and the UFL kickoff to be like, look at Louis Perez the face of this league and one of these and that's great for you or I, but you do get a lot of these casual comments like well, like what development has he had or how far has he got? You and I and we watched the games, and so I just I don't know if I would put all the hopes and dreams same with destroyings you know right foot. I don't know if I would put all my hopes and dreams of the UFL on Louis press any other thoughts on that, because I do. We'll talk prahmise and then we'll talk destroying here, But any other thoughts on Luis or the Renegades.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I think you make a good point. But I think also you see that he has gotten opportunities in the NFL. Like it's not like he's he's as pat Raffino and I have talked about, and I know you've talked about him too, it feels like Louis Perez is a four A player. He's he's maybe better than Spring League, but he's not quite to the level of the NFL. And that's fine because he continues to do it. And I think he is a valuable commodity. But you're right. If you're a naysayer, you can say, well, yeah, he's not developed that much, but look, but he has. He's been in NFL camps, and I mean, I think that's all you can ask, really, is your opportunity to get into those camps and try.
Speaker 1: For the bramis here And I had a comment I wanted to pull up from David, and he also has a comment about the bandit's logo if I remember that, but as the blim come off. AJ Smith, I love the guy. It's been a lot since I've seen his trademark offensive fireworks.
Speaker 2: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: And we obviously last year and we had the injuries and all that, and everyone knows the championship game and Garber's and all of that, and just kind of the collapse and the Brahmas.
Speaker 2: But I agree with that statement from David. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But I mean you have to look it back to back games with A J. Smith a terrible uflchampionship, and then you open the season like this. Now, there are a lot of there are a lot of things that play, especially quarterback in the UFL championship game and then really quarterback in a different way in this first game. Again, like I've said, now this will be the third time. I think if Kellen Mond gets comfortable in that system that he he could be really good. But you're right. All the time we were just talking about how it felt like A. J. Smith should be a head coach in this league or some league some somewhere. He should be a head coach.
Speaker 2: But do you still think that I do.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're talking about two games here, and I think we're talking about two games that I don't know that was play calling on his end. I mean, you're trying to you're trying to work through a system, and there's some work to do. I don't know if the bloom has come off just yet, but there's a there's a like a coffee ring on his resume right now, and he's just gonna he'll he'll continue to get better and I think we're going to see a lot more at a San Antonio than what we saw in week one.
Speaker 1: What I do like is a league like this giving him time to grow. I'm ma sure, I'm learned that way.
Speaker 2: I am a huge A J.
Speaker 3: Smith.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, don't get me wrong on it, but I do.
Speaker 1: And because I am the casual person that hosts this show, right, I mean like that is but I I can say that from watching you know the promise you're technically my team even you know whatever I disappointed last year, you know, yeah you might know what happened.
Speaker 3: Actually I do remember that now.
Speaker 1: But but but that question he or two, why was Wade Phillips up in the booths. You know, a lot of comments about that, a lot of questions. Weird to see the head.
Speaker 2: Coach up there?
Speaker 3: He you know, there was They briefly mentioned it. They showed him in the booth, you know. I remember them saying that he was up there he wanted his coordinators to you know, like be filled level. But I think A. J. Smith was also in the booth, if I'm not mistaken. So yeah, I'm I'm not sure what was going on there. I think he did come down toward the end of the game, but it was almost you know, it's like Jerry Jones coming down at the end of the game, like I did. I didn't get that. I'm not sure that we're going to see that again. I mean, unless there was something else going on that, you know, that he needed to sit down rather than stand. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Also, I mean, like chalk Taw Stadium isn't like your traditional football stadium anyway, we're like, oh, I'm kind of kind of I don't know. I mean, are you sitting in the commentator like that? To me is kind of interesting. Also where it's not like you're actually in a you know, in the whatever. Okay, let's talk now. We had the infamous So I'm at a wedding show. I have the game on my phone, this slow wedding show.
Speaker 2: So we're there.
Speaker 1: I'm at my table. Destroying makes a kick. Donald made the kick. Made the kick, professional kick.
Speaker 2: First, professional kick first? What was it? Thirty nine yards? Right?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 1: And I tweeted, thank god Donald made a kick. We don't need to talk about this anymore. Everyone knows my thoughts. I think I don't have any issues at all with Donald. I just think that I I this goes for the WWE.
Speaker 2: This goes for the UFL or the EXCE.
Speaker 1: I hate it when brands bend over backwards too, for any celebrity that comes in their way.
Speaker 2: WWE.
Speaker 1: He used to do this forever, and like, you know, you get like Jeremy Piven on from Entrage. Oh my god, I'm like, it's Jeremy Piven from Like, let's not act like it anyway, you know. So that's just my problem. He makes the kick rocket and then he misses another kick. Katley not even closed.
Speaker 2: So I'm like that's why again.
Speaker 1: Hey, Like as big as Destroying is, he's still a special teams guy. I would never base my leagues anything around promoting.
Speaker 2: Obviously we have all Kwandi.
Speaker 1: Turpin and I'm like, that's all we have, and then we haven't. Then he misses John, what did you think of this?
Speaker 3: Well, you know you talk about special teams. One of the guys I felt bad for was you know, Marque King, who was out there trying to be the hype man and he's, you know, a hype man in front of ten thousand people. You know, he tried. He's an entertainer and he's Uh. Also, if I'm a punter in this league, I've got some problems with the rules. That's another story. But uh but yeah, I mean you get it. The UFL wants to cash in and get this audience. We've talked about it before. There's a reason. I mean, if you see the UFL account, if there's you know, if the ratio of destroying posts versus pretty much everything else. Now, let me say this though, they were cranking out the videos because I have an alert for the UFL like anything on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's all they care about. They're like, oh my god, you gotta get I mean.
Speaker 3: But I'll give them credit. They were you know, you'd see a great play and then I mean, two minutes later in my phone, I'd have a I'd have an.
Speaker 2: Alert and are job. Yes, I love it.
Speaker 3: I loved it. So yeah, you know, I cash in where you can. You know, you've got to try to strike and find these younger fans where they are, and you know, maybe they continue to think that they'rew destroying We'll see.
Speaker 1: Any other thoughts. I guess I'm going to pull up the other games here. This website is horrible. Any other thoughts on this San Antonio, Saint Louis got or not St.
Speaker 2: Louis, you know, a kind of any of that stuff. Any other thought?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, there's one thing that the UFL's got to fix here. It's this awkward thing at the beginning where they present the game ball and then no one knows what to do. I mean, I'm nitpicking here, but it was so awkward last year, and they did it a few times, and it happened again this it happened again in some of the first games we've got. We've got to fix that. Other than that, I thought it was, you know, it was, it was a good game. It was it was fine. And and Arlington is I think they're going to be a much better team than they were last year.
Speaker 2: All right, so let's talk about that. So I was so excited to send them off. You know, I'm going to go to the Mariner game, but I go good, I'm going to see her.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna watch I thought it was the Birmingham game first. I was so excited. This was the game I had and I had to get. I go, God forbid the one game I'm able to watch live.
Speaker 2: St I. You know, is this got a little close.
Speaker 1: I had joked with you because we were texting about kind of the over under of this, and I think it was thirty eight.
Speaker 2: And a half at the beginning of the game. It was ten to three.
Speaker 1: And this game and this first half of Phil's fell to me like a lot of these CFL games where you get to the last like two minutes before half and it takes half an hour. And it was brutal and we're in, We're kicking, We're like all this. So, hey, what did you make of the game? Uh, Panthers win here show buzz I did not look think looked well? I did. The attendance had its own issues, is well, what did you make of this one? Not a great showing in my opinion on the Sunday Mornings.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, you know, and it's there was the Desperation pick six, which almost you know, almost hit the over there if they didn't hit the conversion. But I thought that, you know, with Joe tess And and Jordan Rodgers, I mean to me, I thought that it was a better crew. I mean, I'm just coming out from the TV perspective, and I don't know if you noticed or not, but apparently ESPN has bought the rights to a red hot chili Peppers can't stop because we heard it. I mean it's I'm still hearing it in mya. But I thought the presentation was good. You know, Tom Lougan Bill talking you know, talking to coaches during I mean during plays, Mike Nolan going all in, had the headset on and was talking here. I just thought that was really cool. They had about a ten minute pregame where they were you know, it was I thought it was a good introductory, you know, for people who might not have seen the UFL. I just thought overall, and then as I said, you know, they did a really good job with integrating some of the gambling aspects. I think one thing we did learning Bryce Perkins is a real deal. I mean there's no question about that. You know, efficient there you see that, Troy Williams. I mean there's some work there. E J. Perry, There's some work to do. But you but for everything that Memphis has gone through here recently, I thought it was a better showing than maybe they would have They would have had, you know, some excuses if they didn't, you know, if they showed up and looked like some of the panther I mean, some of the show boat teams that we had seen in the past. So I've said before and I know you kind of laughed because it is funny. I said that they might be poised for the biggest turnaround in the UFL. Does that mean winning three games or four games games? I don't know, but you know, if there was a this might have been one of the better you know, two touchdown blowouts here that are not blowouts, but two touchdown games that we saw.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: I did like the interactions with Mike Nolan and we're talking on the side. I kind of made fun because they're like, well, what did you think of the quarterbacks? And you know, because they're doing the two well, you know, we played last year and we played three we played three games.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're just taking kind of whatever. You're making the best you can here with all this. But I did like that. I forgot to mention you. I like seeing that friend of the program a Brock brock huer On. Was that the Friday game? You know, Brock's the one that I'm going to say. You know, he's always the one on the sideline. You know, Rock kind of made that be a thing, and so.
Speaker 2: I like that a lot. I I write Brock a lot here.
Speaker 1: He doesn't Marriner show you know, every well, he does it every day.
Speaker 2: But I'm a big fan of him.
Speaker 1: But I like the access with that you agree with kind of the different broad broadcast angles.
Speaker 2: And kind of all that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the chili pepper is that didn't maybe I just mut it when I go to break like I did, I did not.
Speaker 3: Have it's I mean, it was non stop, you can't stop. But you also, you know, and then you had access to to to Jared Horton, who you know, we got at least one or two f bombs out of him, but you know, to talk to him during as he's you know, being interviewed and talking during the play or at least I just thought like the way that ESPN really did the presentation of this game, and even though it might have not been the you know, the greatest game of the Slate weekend Slate, I thought the presentation was there. It was solid, especially again after the two you know, kind of Fox presentations we.
Speaker 1: Got obviously the show Boats and the head coach and said me down all that here this week? Do you read do we want a week to kind of refresh that? Do you think the show Boats have kind of any upsides here? And just kind of curious moving forward thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I think they do. I think they As I said, I think they performed a lot better than maybe a lot of us, a lot of us expected. I know, the one thing we saw there was a shot there of Mike Nolan and there was Darryl Johnston behind him wearing his blazer and his UFL shirt and he had this pain to look on his face. And in fact, you know, they he talked after the game to the Memphis Commercial Appeal and it was you know, saying like we have got to figure out a way to you know, to get some fan engagement here to the point where he was saying, maybe we need to consult the Bill's mafia, like how do we get the fan engagement? Which I thought was interesting kind of to bring them up in this article, But it almost sounded like, now I'm reading quotes, so I didn't hear it. So there's a lot of difference between when you read a quote and when you hear someone say it. But it almost felt like there's an ultimatum there, like this, we have got to find a way to make this work in parentheses unsaid or else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't advocate for anyone to lose their job, but if you if you have been hired to be the Memphis ticket people, and we know and they've been all these cities and we've had all this big off season push for all of that, and I haven't been obviously back with was it Andy right where Corey the big Orlando one forever? That was very vocal on But I don't know a lot of Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: If Samantha is running the Memphis.
Speaker 1: I don't know like whoever it is, But yeah, how do you walk into that stadium with forty three hundred tickets sold? Distributed however you want to call it and go like, yeah, this is awesome. I mean this is year three of this, right, I mean because we did the UFL second hub, right, and what would that been of twenty three and then twenty four and twenty five that, like I tweeted, I mean, the Memphis experiment needs to end. I mean this is just you know, and you had fred Smith and FedEx and all of that that's never really materialized. I mean you Harrold, you know they wanted FedEx here and he's going to buy the team, and see this is just one of the first owners and we're gonna sell all these none of it's I mean, I don't see any way in the world you look at the Memphis show buck to any of these teams and go, oh yeah, I'm gonna spend you know, twenty million dollars to buy this franchise, like or whatever the heck it would be.
Speaker 3: Well, right, I mean, like what you know, you're like you've said before, like what are you buying? Memphis has done a lot of things to get out in the community, and I just wonder, like what's the disconnect here? Like they do so much stuff their social media stuff to me is really really good. Like you said, I just don't understand where the disconnect is now. I don't. I don't know that you pull the plug after after week one and say like, Okay, that's it. You know, we'll play out the string again. Stop having you know, eleven am local time games in Memphis. That's just that's not gonna work. But I will be interested to see and hopefully if the weather holds out here in a couple of weeks, I'm thinking about going down there to kind of check it out, and you know, hopefully we'll have good weather and maybe a good crowd.
Speaker 2: We'll uh, yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Any other thoughts on that, We'll get the last game here and then we'll we'll get out at the top of the hour. I'm going I'm going to see snow Light tonight with my brother John. We're gonna go have a beer and go see I gotta see how bad this movie is.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna go hate watch snow White.
Speaker 1: I am gonna go hate watch snow Light. Yeah, and then anyway, so we'll do all that. Any other thoughts on that before we get to the last game, No, I just.
Speaker 3: Let's let's not pull the plug on Memphis just yet. Let's listen, Let's give them some time. I mean, you know they might be living on borrowed time, but let's give them a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I I tweeted out because we had the group chat going during the game, and I tweeted out, you know, broke is UFL expansion, but woke is UFL reduction and getting rid of Memphis and Houston. Roll those players into the other six teams. Use that money to you know, use the excess money to to pay the players more, get year round health insurance. We we were talking in the in the in the group chat, I think if I think if you had kept with the Spring league model as opposed to all this glitz and glamour and money and Fox and everything that got dumped into this, I would be really curious where we are now. And even if you only have six or eight Spring League teams, they got four hundred and fifty thousand for their championship. I know the players didn't get paid and all that, but like if you couldn't progress versus that, I think once you slap USFL on this Fox product back in twenty two, and it set a standard that was never going to hit without the necessary.
Speaker 2: Engagement or you know, engagement and investment.
Speaker 1: But I would just be curious if we still have the jousterers and the aviators running around.
Speaker 2: It, are are you pulling much less?
Speaker 3: Well, that's the question. Would it be that much different than what you have right now? I mean, I think that is a great what if question.
Speaker 1: I think it's one of the greatest one the quick leonne I agree with all this.
Speaker 2: I agree with everything that like leon is eight and on. I agree. I just have to see how bad of this.
Speaker 1: So anyway, last game here, you know, was exciting for this one DC you know, and obviously the head coach and all that stuff, but they always show out field. I think d C sports is just really hot right now anyway, obviously coming off the Commander season, the Capitols or I just think they're like the Nationals d C sports because that's my feed obviously because of the Commander's fandom right living here at Seattle, take care, you know, knockoff the the Birmingham Stallions.
Speaker 2: What did you make of this?
Speaker 3: Well, we were all excited to see the return of Alex Magoo and you know, he looked he looked good early on and then whatever Greg Williams was, you know, as we say, defensive coordinators don't call plays, they dial up pressures and whatever he was dialing up, Birmingham could not figure it out. And there were times where you don't see Skip Holtz a lot, especially on Mike kind of I don't want to say lose his temper, but he was, you know, he was getting pretty hot and he and Alex Magoo were having some some strong conversations there. D c's defense, Uh, you know, as far as like trying to stop the pass was always kind of a problem and that that was not a problem for them. Whatever they whatever Greg Williams was doing was working, and uh, you know, and and Jordan tim who looked and listen, no one. I finally found someone who has more of a problem of pronouncing Jordan tom whose name than I do. And it was the play by play guy, uh for ESPN. I mean there was a tamumu when there one time. I mean, I'm not even kidding, but that looked like a different DC team. You know, we talked about uh body lank you know, graduates of Body Language University, the body language on that on that d C team, it was a lot different man. They were hyped. They looked good. You saw like even just having Abram Smith back in the lineup, not even necessarily like with handoffs, but just the how hard he plays and blocks and does everything. He's such a key to that. And I just that looked like a much better team than what we saw. Just seemed to like just kind of write it out last year.
Speaker 1: Just speaking of the Greg Williams started it up. I forgot to mention that. Excuse me, the Jaron Horten, like, you know, can we yes, sam Otra right, guy's a little break like Jared's trying to like dial I mean, he's he's calling place and he's like, well, Jaren's like, well, you know, I predict leave the man alone.
Speaker 2: He's playing like he's calling place. Leave him alone.
Speaker 3: You could have picked a better time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It was interesting when when they were on offense, you know, they he was really starting to talk. He was able to talk to him because he wasn't calling plays, uh and just talking about some different things. So I thought that was, you know, that was good. But you're right, he's asking him a question and then you see you see Jaron Horton like picking up the walkie talkie to start to talk. He's like, but he I mean held with it. He didn't. He wasn't you know, he wasn't like like pushing him away. But he's I got to call this play here because we're trying to win a game.
Speaker 1: I I yes, I tweeted and I said, there's a very vocal part of the internet.
Speaker 2: It was very excited to.
Speaker 1: See Jared hord He is quite excited and not to go back to that game, but it was, Yeah, it was like sam like discovered real time. Like I I hate Emmanuel Acho. I cannot stand that man. I know Andy hates him because of the way he talks about Justin Herbert. But Samacho has the least charisma of any man I've ever met them.
Speaker 2: I mean I've never like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Man with least charisma. That's on TV and then sam Otcho and him. But Jared Horton carried that segment that says a lot about like sam Ocho is like future and television that Jared Horton is saving him on this live segment. But what's see next week because he's gonna go try again next week and some other DC is gonna be like get out of my Like, do you think Greg Williams get out of my face?
Speaker 3: I don't know Greg Williams. It seems to me he's Karen. I just sure you're not.
Speaker 2: He used to love but God bless him. But I just just to go back to them.
Speaker 3: Greg Williams is never meta caamer. He didn't like so I don't know it. But but there will be one. There's gonna be an offensive coordinator or a head coach or that's you know, eventually going to give him the Bill Parcells, you know, get out of here, you know, leave us lung. But I think, also, I do wonder if it's not almost ingrained in some of these coaches that listen. These guys are part of the league. Just they're they're just like the referees and everything else. They're part of this game. So you know, hopefully and most of them will understand, like, yes, he's gonna ask me a question at the most inopportune time, I'll just have to say, give me a second. I did, Like what one was awesome. Cole Kublick was out there talking to the kicker before he was on the field, before he's getting ready to kick off. I can't remember it was after after a score or whatever it was. But I just thought that was really that was really interesting and well done that he was just standing out there, He's getting ready to kick off. He's like, okay, thanks, kicker says all right, thank you, and then.
Speaker 2: He just kicks off.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 1: I I'm not the biggest I like Cole, He've been on the show, but I'm not the biggest fan of his, like his his sidelines.
Speaker 2: I think Brock has a little bit more of.
Speaker 3: Like the hey, you know, go.
Speaker 2: To hey hey, and he's always guys like all right, what's coming cold?
Speaker 1: Anyway, the last thing about this, David says, sounds like his mouth is falling down the st like that. So let's get to this because I do need to get out at the top of the door this post game again, I completely missed this, Like I saw great. I think I think Greg Parks and people they tweeted last night like did they say doormat or dorman and someone needs to ask. I was out of it, like Dorothy and Ireary. I was so out of it, but then I saw the clips that I was like, oh my god, so what did you this was? You know, for teams that are really close and fly together and bust together and live together.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 3: Well, I watched the post game with Shannon Harris and someone did ask him about it, and he just said it was really vague. It was kind of like, well, you know, we're fine now. I went and talked to some of the assistant coaches and just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page. And you know, it's something that didn't really make a lot of sense to me. But I will say I don't know that Harry Douglas, who was doing the sidelines, saw exactly what happened, because he immediately brought him over. He did say like, why are you so hyped up? And he was just like, oh, it was a big, big win. And that's what I heard too. When someone had posted kind of a cleaned up sound. You couldn't really hear it that well on the broadcast, but someone I saw today had posted where you kind of clean up the sound and hear it and it sounded like he said doorman, like you know you said, I was the doorman at at the at the UFL headquarters. I still don't understand what. I could never find context for what any of this meant, And there were a lot of people who were coming to skip Holtz defense saying like, if he ever said anything like that, it would have been ingest, not in a you know, it wouldn't have been something where it was an insult. And in fact, skip Holtz seem pretty taken aback by now. I mean, I'm not I'm not trying to defend either one of them. I don't know what happened. I just know what I saw there, and like skip Holtz, I kind of grabbed him by the shirt and tried to bring it back like, no, I didn't say that, or that's not what I meant, And yeah, I could. It sounded like he said he was a doorman at the at the UFL headquarters. I'm not sure, but it was. It was a little a little spicy something for the for the end of the weekend.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: If this was if it's, if this were the old XFL back in two thousand and one, it would be a total thing and they'd have them like, you know, fisticuffs out in fifty yard line or something. But I don't think they're going to try to build up anything out of this. Those are two professional guys. I hope. I know Skip Holtz is I don't know a lot about Shannon Harris.
Speaker 1: Well, and I I could imagine just you know, I don't even I don't even want to speculate too much about it.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not not.
Speaker 1: I guess what I would say is this, I think Skip Holtz is a pretty even keeled person. They've really done a good job to spotlight him, you know, coaching up quarterbacks, talking with Magoo, like you said, during this game and last season we saw him working with all the people.
Speaker 2: So I don't. Yes, I agree, and then maybe it was a misunderstanding or whatever, but it was hot. I mean I like it. I like it. You know, it makes it hey, I mean you want the games to matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and obviously they mattered, and this was you know, Birmingham already disappointed, and you know, and what again, like what DC has gone through, uh right before the season, and you got to think that these guys aren't even going to be around if there is a UFL season three. They're all you know that that DC crew might be at Tennessee State. So uh, but yeah, it was an interesting way to end the weekend for sure.
Speaker 1: Last thing here real quick, Yes, Birmingham's going to be in UH in Detroit on Friday night here and then we have Saturday. We're going to have the show votes here Defenders Houston, be a Battle of the Texas whatever on on Saturday the sixth, and then San Antonio going into Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: What's your most look two games?
Speaker 1: Just as we get out of here, everyone's sacking round.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Stallions Panthers by far. I mean it's you know, the Stallions have to figure out what they're going to do. Skip Holtz said after the game, there wasn't really you know, he's not gonna play two quarterbacks or didn't really feel like he needed to. And he talked about like last year he couldn't really do it. But and he talked about the personalities involved. So I don't know what's going on there. So that's gonna be the interesting one. You know, Alex Magoo if he is the starter versus Bryce Perkins, uh, and you know Birmingham are they gonna they're going to try to turn it around? How many dozens of fans are going to show up for the game. To me, that's that That's the game that I'm keeping the biggest eye on. For sure.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about them putting them? They Battlehawk's home opener on f.
Speaker 3: S F S one.
Speaker 2: What do we do? I mean, I just can't figure it out.
Speaker 1: I know there's like they would say, they would say, there's a reason, John, But oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Is the see that is? Is that's Sunday night. Yeah, what I don't I don't.
Speaker 1: Get Well, it's too thirty Eastern time, so it's yeah, I don't. Oh no, I'm looking at Wednesday. Sorry now I'm six thirty Eastern time, three thirty Okay.
Speaker 3: So I don't. I'm sure there's some broadcast strategy behind it. I don't know what it is at Bill says it's a game after a Nascart race.
Speaker 2: So well, maybe, hey, it'd be good, they'd be good.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. Maybe that's good.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate everyone. I check it out today, like I said, John, and I will figure out. I am flying Miami overnight tomorrow. Then I used to work, and then we're back here at Amazon. I think we'll be good next Monday. We'll figure out the time because then I go back to Orlando. So John, it's a very exciting, very good time. I wish I wish the Guardians were playing I could have I wish any of these sounds I was going with anywhere at the UFL game. I really would go check it out. John, Are you going to have more videos on your channel? Remember everything goes to All Football dot Com, but check out John Lewis's channels. Well, anything you have coming up before we get out.
Speaker 3: I tried to double my money on a hundred dollars worth of bets on Week one of the UFL and I got my man XFL Jim to help me out on some betting tips. And I'm gonna show you just how close we came to doing that that That video will be coming up soon.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: I love it, John, I really appreciate it. Everyone for checking it out, like and subscribe. I thumbs up. Go do John, and go check out all football dot Com. Those guys have been working.
Speaker 3: I like, get that good stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I got like eight different articles I need to post, which is great.
Speaker 2: It's awesome, So check it out. Enjoy. We'll see everyone next time.
Speaker 1: I know probably people are more positive than we are, but anyway, we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys,