Speaker 1: This could give me fire podcasts. What up on Gizzo? That is John Magic and we are back.
Speaker 2: From a Fresno rapper turned global hip hop stars. Some highlights that we remember. He was on the cover of Double Xcel magazine from the top ten Freshman hip Hop What was it? The top ten Freshman of twenty ten?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Then he signed with NAS's label Mass Appeal in twenty fourteen. One of you know the album that kind of is it fair to say put him on the map? Boy meets World?
Speaker 3: I think that's fair.
Speaker 2: Is fair and a good friend of ours. Man, It's kind of making me feel old because I remember when we first met him as a kid. Ladies and gentlemen. Fast Sean is in here.
Speaker 3: Man, it's been a minute for having me. Yeah. Never got to say this in the studio, but I'm glad to fucking be here. You know.
Speaker 2: Usually Jizo and I have like this, you know, we have something planned out of like what we're going to talk about, but we're like, man, there's all these YouTube videos interviews of how Fast started and also you got We kind of just wanted to catch up because we haven't seen you in years.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I've been here my entire career. Yeah, man, I mean fash Homegrown. Before we jumped on this pod, I was telling him, like, you know, I've interviewed him over the years plenty of times on the radio from every project he had, every album, single, whatever, And I was like, this is the first time we have you on a pod and we could just kind of let loose and converse, say and don't have to be political about it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking for some stories we've never heard before.
Speaker 3: We had it up.
Speaker 2: We had we had Hectic in one of the episodes, and he was telling us some stories about you in La and like, so we.
Speaker 3: Didn't tell you to hope, we didn't tell you the other stories.
Speaker 1: It was all you didn't go to parties.
Speaker 3: Oh man. We did have a good time in Hollywood, for sure.
Speaker 2: So we could start with this. I remember I was barely a few months into living in Fresno, maybe under a year, and then he I meet Hectic. He brings you as a kid to interview for this show I was doing Homegrown. Do you remember how old you were when I first met you? Because I've been in Fresno for over twenty years, I.
Speaker 3: Do remember I was sixteen years old. Damn sixteen sixteen, Wow, what year? Do you know what year that was? It's been six o seven.
Speaker 2: That's about right, because I came here.
Speaker 1: I came here five, so I would have been like here for maybe two years at that point.
Speaker 3: First mixtape time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I think I've mentioned this to you before, you know, because we've become friends through the years, and I've said it probably in interviews where the first time I met Fash, you just knew he had like the it factor. Yeah, Like there was something about him as a sixteen year old. I was like, this kid's gonna make it. I told Hectic that this kid's gonna make it somehow. And then Magic spoke and then boom, we just we saw you. We witnessed you grow up and do all these big things.
Speaker 3: I learned from Sway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does say that. By the way, you just being on Sway in the morning on series.
Speaker 3: Wow, you know what shout to Sway. But I'm here with Magic and gisel Man.
Speaker 2: Y'all.
Speaker 3: You guys are like my icons and idols growing up so and just being able to listen to all every day on the radio, and yeah, just to know you guys personally. You know, it's a beautiful thing, man, So good guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's been dope to see you as like, you know, a Fresno kid representing you know, a friend of the radio station, a friend of ours, and to see you, you know, like with the Sways of the World's or the Snoop dogs and all the coat signs that you've gotten over the years.
Speaker 3: Very blessed. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: And I guess my question is, like, you know, when you look back on your career to this point, I mean, how does it feel, man? Is this something that you would have ever imagined this far that you would have taken it?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Yeah, absolutely man, because I've always had that that type of confidence. I've always had that confidence in myself almost like a like an unwavering like belief for myself. You know, since since you met me, since I was a kid, I've always knew that I was gonna leave my name, leave an imprint on and leave a print in this game. So but yeah, and I'm still doing it. I didn't think i'd still be doing it. Yeah, I mean I thought I was going to dip out after boy Mean's World or maybe the collogy, but still in traffic, you know, bumping into cars.
Speaker 1: Is there something that you know when you look back at being a rapper? Is there a time where you think, like, what would I be doing if I wasn't doing this?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Or is it just like you really can't see myself doing anything else.
Speaker 3: I've been doing this for probably half of my life. Yeah, I mean half my life. So I probably got more years in the game than I got out of it, you know. Shit, So I can't couldn't picture anything else. But I've dreamed of doing other things, other things, like like I wanted to write for the Fresnel b at one point. Really, yeah, when I was younger, you know, because I always had a knack for writings. Yeah, it just translated more on a mic with rapping. But yeah, i'd have a like a yeah, probably writing, be writing Hallmark cards or something like, yeah, something something with riding ryding, scriptwriter, or like I'd be executive producing a movie or directing something, or or writing a character or something.
Speaker 2: Something I want to know from the mindset.
Speaker 3: Speaking of movie, shout out to Gurly City Boys out right now on Amazon Prime and to be in everywhere. Are you in that. No, I just executive produced it.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, wait, what is that about. Yeah, let's talk about that.
Speaker 3: Girly City Boys, a movie directed by Otis Reid, went from you know, Grizzly Gang all Day and yeah, we put together this coming of age film about you know, it's loosely based on my life, but it's not really about me. It's really just about you know, the experience of growing up in Gooley City. So and that's on Amazon Prime right now, and I'm not in it unfortunately. Okay, but you got the prod. My presence is felt. I did. I did some writing for characters and yeah, and I actually picked the I hand picked the main character, Santana.
Speaker 2: So didn't you guys do it? There was like a screening for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did a propable. We did one recently at at some casino.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I saw a post of that.
Speaker 3: Okay, good time.
Speaker 2: So the question I was gonna ask, going back to when we first met you sixteen years old, you're gonna get interviewed on the radio, was the mindset wanting to be this commercial? Because is it fair to say you didn't turn into a commercial hip hop star? You you have like this lane that you're in. But during that time, did you want to be one of the one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course I wanted to be uh who was out of that? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I wanted to be Ja Kwan, you know what I mean. Jac wasn't out yet, so I wanted to be Jaquan and uh or like bow wow something like that. I wanted to be like an arena act something like that. But I didn't know nothing about led lights and Pyro and like having a tour with trucks and like, I didn't have that type of monetary support coming out the gate. You know it's coming from Fresno. So I just told myself, I got to really just depend on this thing right here, this this microphone, and hopefully, you know, my voice will resonate throughout the world. But yeah, and luckily it did. Fortunately, you know, for me.
Speaker 2: In your opinion, who was the moment that you're like, whoa, Okay, my life's about to change.
Speaker 3: I guess meeting meeting nas, just going to fly fly out to meet him and discuss that the record deal and what we're gonna do moving forward. Discussing the ecology, I was like, you know, what things are going to be different after this, you know, even if not from a financial aspect. I know, like my respect is going to go up, you know, just throughout the whole entire community, just by me, just by having an endorsement like that, you know what I mean. And yeah, that was one moment. But I guess doctor Dre too. Just Dra invited me out. And when I was like maybe twenty years old.
Speaker 2: Twenty one years old, Yeah, what's a Dre story.
Speaker 3: It's a guy named Brock right, Brock Courson who used to manage EV when I think he's Kendrick's like A and R now something like that. But man Brock uh took me to Dres spot because yeah, he was the only person who really knew me in LA at the time, and Dre was looking for me. Dre was looking for me, so Brock was like, yeah, no fast, he lives with evidence. He lives at EV's crib and you know, and V would always go to Europe and leave me at the crib by myself. So I'd either skate to Alchemi's house and make music or I just go Echo Park fuck with exile. But but yeah, one day Brock came by. He was like, yo, you know Dre want to rock with you. I'm like, I'm like, you're lying, but that's a joke, right. He was like, Noah, seriously, like Dre wants you to come through work on detox, which probably might never but so yeah, he ended up making the connection. I ended up coming back to Fresno. I forgot about it. I said, Man, this nigga was lying him anyway. I didn't believe him anyway. So yeah, yeah, Dre reached out. He reached out to Hectic and he said, do you guys want to get flu out here? You guys want to drive? And you know what Hectic said, he said, we'll drive. I'm like, man, if you better stop playing, that would have been my first flight. Yeah, it would have been my first ever. You know what I'm saying. I was helling me. I was tight with Hectic for years. I'm like, man, we could have flew first class. They had us up with the Hilton, all types of shit, but yeah, I want to h work with Dre at the Encore Studios in LA and worked there for about almost a week.
Speaker 2: When you say work, what's the work.
Speaker 3: Is being in there from five pm to five a m. You know, writing, writing, writing, writing writing, Uh, vocals, vocals, vocals that you guys put anything together. Yeah, yeah, absolutely. Matter of fact, there's a single from t I that Doctor Dre played me years before, like in that session, and it's a song called Dope or something with the Lea sample. It was like, I'm on dope and yeah, he played that for me, man, And this was a moment that I knew that I just knew I was right where I needed to be right. He plays me this record. First, he tells me he's not going to play it for me. He's like, yo, like I can play this. Ithing like, man, you had to play that for me. He was like sure. I'm like, yes, I'm sure playing for me. So he plays it for me and and I hear that the song, I hear that Leah sample. I'm like, all right, this is going somewhere special. And then I hear jay Z's voice just flying. Man. I'm like and I look at Dre like and he was like yeah, keep looking at me, like yeah yeah, like you're you're in the big leagues now, right. So he presses stop and he's like, you think you can write something better than that? I said no, I was so honest.
Speaker 2: That's a turn.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was so honest though. I was so honest and he respected it. But uh yeah I could have had that. That could have been my number one, you know. But shout out to t shou out to jay Z, because only if y'all can hear what jay Z said on this ship. Yeah, oh my god, I'm like, that's how I know. I'm like, Dre, You're crazy. I'm like, you don't think that's fire, you are crazy.
Speaker 2: I was just about to ask, I don't remember that song ever getting released or anything, because.
Speaker 3: The TI version came out, the did come out, and but yeah, I wish I had that jay Z version.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jay's one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: Are you still with Massive Pill? I'm still Massive Pill family? I mean contractually you know that contract expired and uh yeah, but I'm still out here moving and still working with them. But I'm not, yeah, not like exclusively just working with them. I know you brought up Kendrick.
Speaker 1: Did you guys ever like get something together or you know, want to work together?
Speaker 3: Yeah? We worked together on a couple of different different places, but never like on a on a record. Yeah. I met him at the Double XL photo shoot. That's where I met him at and yeah, we've just been cool ever since then. But I ran into him and Czechoslovakia. I ran into him in the Czech Republic. I guess you're supposed to call it. And yeah, this is the week he dropped the control verse the first Uh, this is before for not like us. This is like when you first started going on his tirades and so yeah, and everybody thought that he was you know, I thought he was dising people, even if you didn't put his name like him came in his song, he's like yo, like you know. And so I saw him and he's on stage rocking Good Kid Mad City, the title track of his album, and he looks over at me. He's like, oo fast, you want to you want to get some of this? I'm like it's just him and his band and I'm like yeah, And he let me rock over that in front of thousands of people in Czech Republic. But he saw me threw up the dub like he was like I know what it is. Yeah, and uh yeah, but he did the same ship to me at Resno Fairgrounds. No, yeah, I remember that. Yeah, yeah we were there at that. Yeah, like me and do me and Dot is cool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: How did you feel about the Drake and Kendrick back and forth or just that type of stuff in general? Do you feel like it's a win for hip hop? Do you feel like, you know it's bad for hip hop because it can escalated things or what's your take on that.
Speaker 3: I stand with Jake Cole. I stand with j Cole. I'm about peace and about unity, and because jac kind of took herself out of that, it was like, you know what, I'm not gonna feed into that and like, yeah, like now you can just catch him ride his bike around like like being a normal person. I respect that, and I respect that like immensely. But I have to say this, though it was entertaining. It was entertaining for the culture. Now we needed a big, a good heavyweight about and it was two respectable heavyweights to me, you know. So, yeah, it was a good It was a good fight. I have to give it to Dot though. I have to give it to Dot, not just because I'm from the West Coast, just from a you know, I've seen a lot of battles on hip hop, and you know, I've never seen nothing like that, man, especially the amount of music and it's just the just the level of the delivery and how they came through was really good. I mean he got a huge single out of it, you know what I'm saying, Like that's way bigger than takeover Ether. Yeah, like calling out names, that's like an actual hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not to mention you know what he did when he performed of that to pop out and just that whole everything for the culture, it was just yeah, I mean it was dope, so shot to k do I know you brought up J Cole and that's your man's and and you guys were on the cover together for Double Excel. You know, Wiz was on that big Sean Nipsey. It's crazy that. I mean, to this day, I always say that was like the best class. I mean, those guys, everybody's still doing it to this day. And do you still keep in contact with any of those guys? I know you you and Wiz were pretty close.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just spoke to the Cold yesterday, Okay, the Cold yesterday. I told him I'm glad he's making beats again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of people kind of forget about that or that he's really big on that.
Speaker 3: The best producers of my generation saying a lot of people don't give them that. You know that it's props, but it's propers. But yeah, I spoke to Cold the other day. I suppose the Gibbs Freddie Gibbs other day. Yeah, yeah, I don't get to run into a lot of cats like that because you know, we all doing trajectories. Took us in different places for sure, But yeah, shout out to Wiz though. I think last time I saw Wiz was in It's overseas in Germany. We did the show. I think it was the week like Manchester one World Cup or some ship. That was like the last time I saw him. And yeah, man, other than that, spoke to Big Sean the other day. He dropped the album. If you heard it, please go listen to that. But yeah, man, I'll be I'll be in my own zone.
Speaker 2: Are you jaded with the amount of people you've been around, the people you've worked with, the people that you've just networked with. These are some big names that we're dropping right now. Is it? Are you still starstruckt or He's just like, nah, these these are homies, homies.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not starstruck anymore. Okay, not anymore, because these are not just the homies, but they're still Those are my peers and fellow warriors and this hip hop shit, you know what I mean? Like those those are my comrades and in this music business and in the culture.
Speaker 2: Most importantly, there's some people that people may not even of.
Speaker 3: These are my aunties and my uncles and like like people I look at like father figures. And some of these niggas are like my cousins and like brothers in the game and hip hop is one big family, and I try to bring that energy back.
Speaker 2: There's even some names where I feel like people are not familiar with, like the you know, the amount of work or well, I'll just say who it is because you know, back in my heyday, I used to like rip and run around with a baboo of dilated people. And you know, you brought up evidence, you brought up exile and hip hop like if you know, like these are some big Yeah. So how did I never found out how you? You were roommates with him or you?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I never told you about that whole story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did that come about?
Speaker 3: I was running around in LA I was making my album with Exile. I was making my album with Exile at the time wasn't done yet. I was just still running, ripping and running the streets of California. And I was on my way to Los Angeles with my manager one day and I wanted a Verse from Evidence really bad for the song called Arway, and I wanted it really bad, and I didn't know how to attain this thing right. So my manager was like, well, I know Planet Asia and Asia knows Evidence. You know, maybe I could make a call. I'm like, if you can make that call, please make that call. So Hectic calls Asia and it's just like fuck that. I'm calling EV now and I'm telling them you're on your way right like you like, he basically text the address. He was like, just go over there, you know what I mean. I don't even know if v Knew showed up. I'm here, it's my new he's my album I'm working on, Like this up you want to hop on something. But but yeah, before you know it, I'm in Thev's living room and it's just me, him and my manager and we're telling him how much a legend he is and how much we want him on on the album. He's like, don't call me that man. Just play the song, like don't make me feel old to play the song and yeah, and that was the first time I ever really got to build bill with x F and yeah, and then I moved in about two months later. Yeah, I guess I left an impression on him. He was like, you know what, here's the keys to my house. Bro. He was like, yo, whatever you need, like you belong to LA now, like we got you out here and yeah, and it's been love ever since. Man. I just ran into him at the at the Memorial Coliseum in l A. We just did the show infesting. That was like a family reunion because I got to see damn there everybody. We just spoke about. You know. I think I even saw miss Parker from Friday. Yeah word. Yeah, But anyway, but that's how that's that's how the whole connection came about. And yeah, just like became like a like a a mentor and like a father figure to me, man, And yeah, I got ultimate respect for that dude for life. You know. Now, you know you came coming from Fresno, but I think it was the Planetation phone call that really made pop off.
Speaker 1: Just coming from Fresno. Obviously it's you know, not La. It's not New York. It's not a lot of these cities that rappers bang. But you've always banged Fresno and you let people know. But coming from Fresno and obviously you see the difficulties of.
Speaker 3: Being like recognized.
Speaker 1: Is that something that you would that moving to a big city is?
Speaker 3: Is that something that you had to do.
Speaker 1: Is it something that you know for somebody that's coming up in a smaller city is is that kind of the move that needs to be done to kind of expose yourself a.
Speaker 3: Little bit more? Yeah? Yeah, I mean you got to touch the people, man. Yeah, you have to go out and you can't just put a satellite out and just expect to connect with everyone.
Speaker 2: What don't you feel like right now?
Speaker 3: You can though with seconically you can, but you know, it's like it's only so long. Fake artists could pretend and so yeah, you know, fake you know, superstars could pretend. It's only so long, and it's it's really about getting out and touching the people, man. You know. So I had to go to La, New York, et cetera, everywhere south to go garner these fans, you know, if they're not I mean the market is so saturating. How do you expect to win over the average consumer if you don't you know, shake the hand, kiss the baby and yeah, yeah, you know what I mean, and and do and do that stuff. Man. So but me moving to l A, I really just wanted to brush shoulders with the with the with the sharks man, because you know, I always felt like a big fish in a small pond being from president. Yeah, for sure. I wanted to test my skills, so I feel like on a I wanted to test them on an Olympic level, you know what I mean. I wanted to go to Europe, Pan and and and get busy with the with the best of the best. And not only that, but show that Fresno can compete with any anybody any market, you know. Yeah, but skill wise, not sales wise. Yeah, you know, it's like put our products together. It's like, yo, my ship ninety seven percent ninety seven percent too. Yeah. Yeah, that's some all to white talk, but breaking bad. Yeah yeah, man. Anyway, we were in the city of Ice. Anyway, you you.
Speaker 2: Bring up traveling around the world, do you feel like hip hop is you know, I'm I don't know the answer to this. You lived it. I just feel like European countries, Japan, all these other countries out of the United States, do they embrace hip hop differently from US out here, because it seems like it seems like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think so. I think.
Speaker 2: They just embraced that they have culture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the culture, not just the culture, but the whole heritage in the history of fashion that everything, right, culture, the elements, the rudiments, everything. They really put an emphasis on that. You know, they still use terms like sucking MC out. I'm like, you know, where are you right? And you can still like you can drive down you can drive through Berlin or Colonnas or anywhere in Europe, and it's like it looks like what you thought the Bronx would look like in the eighties, right, like like the graffiti everywhere and like kids rhyming and just actually like exuding the culture, right. And but I think they're preserving it over there. It's still in a transitional state and evolutionary stage in America because it's still constantly evolving with the with the new regime that's coming in year after year, so still evolving and taking shape. But over there they got a really clear view of what they think hip hop should be and you know, and the message that you should be portraying. And yes, like that's why I love it over there, you know. I love going over there and I can't wait to go back this December. Yeah, it's almost like to have like a different respect for it out there. What city or country that really shocked you that, like, wow, they really fucking with like hip hop and rap? Like was there a country that really like threw me off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's like real quick.
Speaker 2: While you're thinking that, that reminds me of not to like, you know, oh, here's where I went, but just because well just because you brought because you brought that up. Is because when I did the Australian tour as a DJ, I was like, they're not gonna know these songs because I'm used to DJing here in America and when I play a certain song, they're gonna sing to it. But I was like they're not. I got nervous, but I'm like, it's what I know, so I'll play it and they sang along. So I was like, whoa, what the hell? It works out here too? So yeah, was there that kind of moment.
Speaker 3: Where I'd have to say Poland. Yeah, as random as it is, right, Poland. I think we did a show and war song and posing a couple of cities out there, but yeah, Poland, it was like and it was the smallest days I've ever performed on. It was like, but the love was so big. It was like and they knew every word and it was like it was just like mind blowing to me. And yeah, total culture shock. That was the first time I got a culture shock for sure. And then I made it beat with exile. I said, if you if you see one black person, if you see anyone who looks like me, I'll buy you breakfast with me landing in La And long story short, I didn't have to buy anything. Yeah, but yeah, culture shock poem definitely all right.
Speaker 1: So I would just want to do this because everybody you know asked this question and it probably changes for you all the time. But you know, top five dead or alive right now, right now is of all time.
Speaker 3: It's just dead or alive at all time, and no particular particular top five Tupac, J Diller, Nate Dog, So Far So Good, Pac Dealer Dog, Biggie, and Nipsey. There you go. I like that.
Speaker 1: Rest in Peace, Nipsey and also on the on the cover as well. Wait all of them gone, oh wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's my top five. We gotta come up with you live. Here's my think about that. Damn damn damn. Recipes of Rich Home Me Krin by the way, Yeah, that just happened to podcast Blessed that brother Soul and my condo listens to his family man for sure, but alive though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe some artists that you're like really paying attention to right now, I'll just say five artists I like, Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: It might have because my top five changes. Yeah. I love Doc Doc is ill. She got a new project called like Alex something about alligators.
Speaker 2: But she's going to do what is on TV.
Speaker 3: The one that you got the record with Kodak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one right, what it is?
Speaker 3: Okay, love dochi uh love? I actually love young boy n be a young boy. Yeah, she's just one of those, one of the ones. Tierra Whack, Code of the Friend, Corde Corday, Okay, I like it.
Speaker 2: But there's a couple of names. I have no idea who they are, but.
Speaker 3: I'm here to you know, I'm here to keep you on, you know, up on game Man.
Speaker 2: What about So there's been a lot of talk on.
Speaker 3: These t A the handful. I can't forget that.
Speaker 2: I don't know that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look it up.
Speaker 2: There's there's kind of wanted to see your thoughts on this because there's been some blogs and people talking on social media about these new female rappers from Ice Spice to Megan Uh, Sexy Red.
Speaker 3: That God bless them all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's it goes two ways. There's the fans that love the music and then there's the side that's like it's they're just doing for the look. Do you have any thought on that, Like, not necessarily negative, but.
Speaker 3: Just any thoughts. I got nothing but positive things to say about these sisters, man. These are my sisters in the culture. So I would never disrespect them or try to demor them or bring them down. Yeah. I love what they do. And I'm surprised I didn't put none of those names in my list because I did mention to Female Chi and Tierra Whack. But yeah, I love what they do. I think it brings balance. It brings balance to like every Sexy Red we need a rhapsoity, you know, you know what I mean, every Ice Spice, we need a sorak. Yeah, and I think the battles is there and I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I kind of feel that this is an era of female rappers, right, Like I think they're really holding it down.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I feel like, you know, every so oftenlope creatively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, every so often there's like certain genres or of rap or eras of style, and I just feel like we're kind of in an era of where the ladies is kind of really making noise right now. And there's a lot of them. If you think back, just maybe like ten years ago, it only felt like it was Nicki Minaj and now like all the ones that you named and Bea and Glorilla, and there's just shot the glow too. Yeah, there's just so many out there. And yeah, I mean I'm for it, you know what I'm saying. They're totally They're dope.
Speaker 3: And yeah, she almost got me divorced, messed up. What happened. She was in the DMS, we were we were talking back and forth, and she decided to send me a picture one day right of of something that she didn't post on a regular page. Okay, right, And I surely saw that, and uh, she felt a way about it. Well, you still got that photo. Just listen, man, it's in the archives.
Speaker 2: Man, Look, it's in the hidden there's.
Speaker 3: I tried you efk he for that, but nah. But as far as like an artist, like she's one of my favorite artists and just all around just cool people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually dope to see her kind of like come back around because you know, she started off as like a real rapper and then she kind of fell into that, you know, mainstream pop, and you know she got her bags from that. But you know, she came back around and she's doing what she's doing.
Speaker 3: So all the females.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Coiler Ray too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that's been Zino's daughter. Yeah, which is crazy to think about it. She comes from like real hip hop like lineage, you know what I mean. So I wasn't surprised when when she did her thing.
Speaker 2: There's a piece of me where you know, it comes around because now I'm getting older and you're like, what is this stuff that they're coming with? But I'm still a DJ and when I play this at the clubs, the energy the crowd gives me. So I'm fucking with it. If you're if you're if the crowd is loving it. I'm playing these songs regardless of what I think about him. But let's go back to Ice Spice, who produces a.
Speaker 3: Lot of Let's go back to her because it's because the producer.
Speaker 2: The producer of her beats the son of like New York I forgot his name right now. He was he was on He was a DJ on Hot ninety seven and no, no, another dude, No he was. He was a DJ, actual DJ. But I think the producer, right, the producer is his son. Yeah, yeah, So like even these young.
Speaker 1: Producers and now you're seeing these the kids now are starting to become Shout out to Nico.
Speaker 2: DJ enough DJ enough, I think so probably, I mean enough if I'm.
Speaker 3: That's I mean, man, Okay, shout to Nico bab Boo Son right, Baboo Son is one of the greatest, dopest producers out right now his name is Nico, And yeah, I saw that kid grow up and now he's just a full blown, full grown animal man on the beats man. But yeah, I'm it's dope to see the next generation like the you know, like even Northwest got album coming out. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm interested to school drop out or something. I'm like, this is crazy, like to be this man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm interested to see like what Kanye's kids are gonna do, or you know, try to disky see what my daughter's gonna do.
Speaker 3: Started high school?
Speaker 2: So high school already, That's what I'm said.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're just posting pictures of her, yeah, with her in my arms like this, right, But has she showed any interest on what she wants to do.
Speaker 3: Uh. She's really good at cooking, She's really good at make baking. Yeah, she just made the craziest batch of cookies yesterday, scratch too nice at the store. Store bought ones like She's just like, you know what, I'm bored. I'm gonna just make it out out of nowhere. I'm like, you might have a feature in that that might be the next you know, Grandma's cookies or something. Yeah, right crumbles or something like that and or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: The paris still out here in the five hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we moved back, well, I moved back in about twenty thirteen. I was in LA for a while and abroad.
Speaker 2: Did they ever go with you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Uh? And I made a conscious decision to do that because I I was sleeping on couches, hotels and studios, and like, I wouldn't I wouldn't dare drag my daughter in my yeah around with me like that. So but they they've been out here and I came back to just you know, take care of them, take care of that, you know, and be a dad. And but yeah, they've been around the world with me. Though. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Can we say, well, high school, she's going to school.
Speaker 3: Come on, bro, you can't do that.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just kind of tripping now that she's in high school.
Speaker 3: That is kind of price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, grown speaking of high schools, man, I got a shout out fast because you know, Fash has always been a stand up dude. And we used to do these high school tours and we had like an anti bullying campaign that we were calling bullies or whack that I output together, and I remember we just reached out to Fashion if he could kind of be on this tour with us, and man, without question, he joined us on a few schools and we went around and he performed for all the students. So, Fash has always been a stand up dude. And when I wanted to interview him or you know, for the podcast.
Speaker 3: He's just like, let me know. So you know, I got to shout you out for that. I appreciate you, Gisel.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you this because you know, being from Fresno, any Fresno rappers or artists out here, did that you're digging or somebody that maybe the people need to be on the lookout for some up and comers and you got anybody?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course. Man, it's a let me see if I can name a good five keep it in the sony. It's an artist named female MC and just incredible. Artist Fay three hundred, three hundred is really dope. He's a young cat from College Street, my young bulldog Homie. Let's see sir brother named sir, really dope artist t a the handful and I'd have to say, oh, Sean f Yeah, he was big. I guess it's his new cat named Country Kid or something like that. Country Country. Definitely do your homework on him if you haven't already. Yeah, I mean, this is the plethora of him.
Speaker 2: What's some piece of advice that you would you know, it is a different with the social media being bigger than what it was when you were a young kid. What's something, what's something you could like give it to them, Uh, you know, to take it to the next level.
Speaker 3: Man, be fearless. Just be fearless. Be fearless and your approach to your to your craft. And because at the end of the day, what you do on this mic and what you do in that studio was uh, you know, you got to live with that and you got to stand on that business. You know until to the day you're gone, even after you're gone. You know, that's the stuff that's going to feed your family and your and your loved ones after you're gone. So make sure something that's of substance and something that's up, something that you can be proud of.
Speaker 2: There's this thing in a DJ world where they tell young DJs if you're just.
Speaker 3: Don't worry about the streams and the cells, because that stuff right there will get your that'll gets your m hm. That gets you like depressed and like yeah, overdosing in a hotel somewhere. You know what I'm saying. So do the music because you love to make the music. Yeah, other than that and everything else will follow. Yeah. Yeah, You'll get your little white hot spot of time where you shine and everyone the world notices, but not every year is gonna be like that, Not every week is gonna be like like that. So just do it for the greater good. You know.
Speaker 2: The thing that I was saying was, you know, in the DJ world, they tell like young DJs that are up and coming and still learning to do do as many gigs as you can, like, don't worry about the pay, just do just get out of the get out there as much as you can. Is it the same mentality for rappers to like do as many shows here?
Speaker 3: Now? I don't know, like the young artists I've been meeting lately, it is like that, like, man, I ain't doing a show unless you give me thirty. Bro, you gotta work to get to that. Yeah, you gotta work to your value is up there, you know what I'm saying. But I think in the beginning, like before you get your your first album, before you do your or before you make it to your sophomore album, just do as much as you can do every show you can because you have to study the crowd. So you have to study which records translate best live on stage and which records are better than the headphones at home. And you know, in the winter time, and it's definitely an art form to it. It's a whole art form to all of it. So there's the art of tour. It's like there's the art of war.
Speaker 2: Right. So yeah, side note, I'm glad that you said learn what works at the crowd. Jizo and I always talk about about live shows where some of these artists, even the big artists of today, they do. I feel like, you didn't need to perform that song. Just stick with the things that you know that will work. Or if you're going to perform something new, there has to be some sort of entertainment value to it where you you know, and keep almost like keeping short one verse maybe, But I'm glad you said that.
Speaker 1: Don't don't get the audience to get annoyed with you or bored with you because you're playing stuff they don't know. Yeah, or maybe you're new and you want to perform, want your whole album, but they don't even know one song.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. You just don't get mad at the promoter for like telling you got to come off stage now. Yeah, yeah, and you only did two songs. Yeah, Like you ain't earned that that hour yet. Yeah. No, you're right, you didn't earn that hour yet. So do you remember your first paid gig? I don't think. Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: That must have been years ago.
Speaker 3: Let's see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Just thought, I just thought of ba Bylon. I think, wow, he went all the way back. Yeah, I think he paid me out of his pocket. I didn't even have no fans and nothing. I had no reason to get paid, just like you know what, somebody he's paid me on his pocket. It was I can't tell it was an X amount of money X amount.
Speaker 2: During the hey day and this could I don't because I'm sure it changed through the years. But if you could pick, oh, once, what was always the last song for a fast show?
Speaker 3: Probably Samsonite Man. Probably Samsonite Man. I'll be like, all right, yeah, I ended on that note, like, you know, there's no city like this city. We got to go to the next one. Hopefully it's his live is this one, but I gotta go Samsonite Man back on the road. And it was just a perfect exit and it's a high note. It's like, is that the biggest response? Yeah? I think so, because it's like that was my first, like one of my first you know, classics, I guess hit if you call it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so that yeah, still one of my favorites. This kind of was an unofficial release, but it was something I like beg to play on the radio. It was the one with the Michael Jackson sample. That's still like it's such as good.
Speaker 1: Couldn't clear that I mean Jesus Christ, but just as being sad. I mean I was playing it here, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: My brother, Yeah, it was dope. Yeah, I mean, you know, I got thousands of songs, man, I got thousands of songs literally, so it's like you can pick one and you know what you want with it. But yeah, I just like I said before, I only do it because you know, it keeps me saying and it brings me peace, you know what I mean? So, and in turn it brings other people's peace. So yeah, yeah. You know.
Speaker 2: Another thing that you were kind of known for also when viral we talked about the Sway Morning Show was the freestyle you did. I remember you doing freestyles for us. You were always great with freestylesmore grew up up then the things I started seeing on YouTube just recently and the past maybe four or five years. Uh, they do these rap battles where there's no beat. Yeah, and I wait, I like this style. Did you ever think about doing that? Can you do that?
Speaker 3: That's how I started. I started as a as a poet. I just started as a battle rapper. But I started out with no beat or nothing, no producers, no nothing. So it was just the that just the spoken word aspect of it. Deliver it with your hands and be charismatic. And so that's how I started. But yeah, I'm not really big into balance and I'm not really big into like destroying my fellow. That's fair. We're not in front of his family. Everybody's I'm more subtle with my article. I'm more son zoo with my approach, you know what I mean. Like you might catch a bar or two on my album or or if I'm doing a freestyle on the air, I might send a jab at a rapper or something like that. But yeah, that whole face to face stuff, it's not it's not really things we did in Grially City. Man, niggas got shot for that. Say something by my mom on my face, like my baby Mom's like yeah, yeah, I don't got the mental stability for.
Speaker 2: That, just because just because I don't know anything about it?
Speaker 3: Got emotional. I q would be a battle rapper because the.
Speaker 2: Last thing I'll bring about the freestyling, just because I don't know anything about it. I have no skill the freestyle.
Speaker 3: Don't lie, man.
Speaker 2: I always wanted to know, do you do do rappers think of the last word? And then because they're doing this on the spot, what what's the mental what's happening in your brain? Do you think of the last word that as you're just saying as you're rapping? Yeah, what does the mind thinking? Let me think of the punchline? And then you know, yeah, how does your just come out? That's tough because if it just comes out there's some fast has some.
Speaker 3: I mean he's even done, just called the larynx or some ship.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we'll go with that barn x.
Speaker 3: Right, So I'll start with that, and I'm just and if I catch a good tone, if I know I'm in a good tone, yeah, I'll just stay there like yo yo, get by it and out and and if I know my tone is right, then I could say anything. But then I'm like, now I need to fall into a cadence, like I need to fall into a one two three, some type of cadence, and if I fall into one, when when I'm actually freestyling, like when I'm not freestyling, I already have it, you know, premeditated murder, you know what I mean. But when I'm like stumbling into a cadence, I'll stay there and if my voice sounds good, I stated, I'm not thinking about the words. I'm thinking about my tone, thinking about like a trumpet player, I'm I'm thinking like it's not words. These are notes that I'm hitting. These are like cadences and ship like that. So it's like I'm not even thinking about the words. I think about the words after, like when I hear it back like like oh that's what I said, I zone out. I just do do that, you know, I don't even think about the words. The words. Yeah, yeah, I let God. I literally let God use me as a vessel when I just spit it out. But I'm more conscious of the tone and the timing in the cadence.
Speaker 2: But I think where the gift is These words that are coming out of your mouth makes sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I'm well read and I'm well I'm well read. I love to read, and like I said, poetry was a big ingredient to all of this. So I love to read.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: So it's like when I have to like just spit out a barrage of words, it's not it's no problem, for they're already in the bank. I know how to articulate cust as much. I don't have to, just like I know how to. I know how to do that part, you know, I know how to articulate myself.
Speaker 2: Anyone shopping beats right now? We were talking about, you know, Jay Cole making beats.
Speaker 3: Man, what's up.
Speaker 2: Anyone you're working with right now? Or how does that work for you? As like when you're making new songs, does someone email you beats? Check this out? How does that? How does that work?
Speaker 3: It varies, man, it varies.
Speaker 2: So sometimes you're searching for it, you ask, No, I'm.
Speaker 3: Never searching for beats. That's the thing. I'm never searching for like a new sound or I try to invent a new sound, like I go like literally physically try to, you know, physically make the beat myself. But always got different relationships with producers that I can always tap in, you know what I mean, Like if I want to go to the south or make something southern or that vibe. I'll go work with my brother Trent Taylor, who I got an album coming out September twenty seventh with it's called You. Oh what's with interest? And but yeah, I just got different chambers and different producers I can build with, So that's I'm never looking for them. I mean, yeah, they always send me stuff like, Yo, you know what I can hear fast on this, let me see, let me send it to me. So there's a lot of that. And then sometimes I'll go to a show and meet a producer and they'd be like, you know what, nigga, give me a USB or put this AirPod in my ear. I'm like, let's go to the studio right now, you know. And sometimes that's happened. But yeah, the process varies. And me, I don't care about your name. It's all about your game, you know. It's all about your game, so solid about the quality of the music. So you can be a guy with two followers or two million followers, and if it ain't crack, we're not selling it. We're not smoking it either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you brought up the album. What else you got coming up? Or what else are you working on? I think even before we jumped on this party City. You're going on tour. Yeah, what's on that outlook for Fast going on.
Speaker 3: Tour for the fifteen year anniversary Boys World doing that. But I won't be performing the album in this entirety. I will just be doing my thing, trying to stuff all my career into however many minutes they give me. But yeah, we're going on tour Me Blue and Xile Anniversary tour for all the albums n X Radio Turns fifteen as well below the Heavens Turns I Forgot but Yeah, that and Yeah album on the twenty seventh Europe in December. I don't think I'll be home for Christmas. Definitely will be gone to OVERM.
Speaker 2: Movie on Amazon.
Speaker 3: Movie on Amazon right now. Executive produced by Yours Truly Really City Boy GCB. Casey was wondering with the tattoo on my armment Yeah, man, just dugging it out. I'll be producing a lot, just di some production on the Violence in the Media album that just came out. Shout out to Ramses. Yeah. All Held the King Part two with Fresh Yard Records, Serve at Toronto. Produced the whole thing. Carte Blanche with my brother Little Vic from New York hopefully all these things come out before New Year's You got a lot coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if the algorithm I just saw like a video of you getting out of a bus is this recently you just got did you just get back from somewhere?
Speaker 3: Or that was an old tour? That was a Thursday. I was a throwback Thursday. Yeah, that was a throwback Thursday. Yeah. So that was gonna run the Jewels tour. I was a dope tour. That was my first bus tour. First time I got to like a twelve bunk sick. That's dope. That's dope, man Man to Archie J.
Speaker 2: Well Man continued success. It's just been crazy seeing the journey and from sixteen years holds now yeah wow right, about.
Speaker 3: To be thirty six in October. Man, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah twenty years oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah something like that. Yeah yeah yeah yeah. First album is fifteen this year. But if we're talking like Goodly City mixtape, shit, that that's turns eighteen this year. The first mixtape turns eighteen this year, so wow, crazy, it's crazy. Until next time. Fast shot Man waited it on that He's up. Gee's out