Speaker 1: What motivates a serial killer? For some, it's sheer hatred against humankind.
Speaker 2: He was punishing those who had the good fortune. You're raised in a warm, loving home.
Speaker 1: Some of these murderers seek revenge for an abusive childhood.
Speaker 3: They're destroying them out of a need for vengeance.
Speaker 1: And then there are others who just simply love to kill.
Speaker 4: Israel Keys killed because he enjoyed it. You got a journaline rush from it. You love the thrill of it.
Speaker 1: What creates these cold blooded monsters? What drives their work? Psyche? Now the actual voices and visions of serial killers?
Speaker 4: Once I started, you know, and there was nothing else.
Speaker 1: Like it, plunges deep inside their complex and twisted mind. February first, twenty twelve. It's a cold winter's night in Anchorage. A heinous crime is about to be committed. Eighteen year old Samantha Koenig is working alone at the common Ground's coffee hunt.
Speaker 4: A little bit before closing time that night, A tall man in a dark coat walked up to the window and he ordered an Americano coffee. And he stood there and watched as Samantha turned around and made it. When she turned back around, he had pulled a gun on her.
Speaker 1: Shocked and surprised, Samantha raises her hands as if being held up.
Speaker 4: He tells her it's a robbery. She kind of steps back, surprised. He then ends up coming in through the window, climbs in through the window and ties her up with some zip ties, and then forces her at gunpoint out of the coffee stand and walks her back to his car.
Speaker 1: The abductor's name is Israel Keys. He is a serial killer responsible for a steady string of brutal murders for more than a dozen years.
Speaker 4: Keys didn't have a real victim profile. He was pretty unusual for serial killers. He didn't have a certain race, or a certain age, or certain sex that he targeted. He was much more random. It was more opportunity crimes with him, just who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, And for Samantha Konig, she was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Keys had decided that he was going to rob this particular common Grounds coffee shop. That's originally what he planned on doing, just robbing it, but when he got to it, when he saw Samantha, he changed his mind and decided to take her.
Speaker 1: Gees tries to keep his captive calm by telling her it's only a kidnapping. He's going to hold her for ransom. He takes Samantha Kney to the shed next to his home and binds and gags her. Incredibly, his living girlfriend and ten year old daughter are in the house just several feet away.
Speaker 4: He took her into the shed, closed it up, tied her up in there, left her in the shed. He then actually got information from her and went to her house where her truck was parked outside to get her wallet, to get her ATM card and some other things. Came back to the shed where she was still subdued, and then that's when he raped her.
Speaker 1: Still Samantha praise, she will survive horror, Hoping it's only a kidnapping, she gives Keys her ATM pin number, But she'd never had a chance. Once Keys made up his mind. Back at the coffee hut, Keys strangles the helpless young woman.
Speaker 4: Well, he enjoyed the thrill, the adrenaline rush of it. He enjoyed having control over his victims. He enjoyed seeing their fear. He raped his victims.
Speaker 5: We know that.
Speaker 1: Astoundingly. After the murder, Keys immediately returns to his normal life.
Speaker 4: So after he kills Samantha, he drink a glass of wine, calmly went back into the house where his daughter was sleeping and his girlfriend was sleeping, and later on that very morning, they all leave for a pre planned vacation. They fly to Houston and then drive to New Orleans for a cruise.
Speaker 1: For a one week cruise, Keys doesn't have time to just of Samantha's body.
Speaker 4: Prior to the trip, before leaving, he had put Samantha's body in a cabinet in the shed, the thought being that it's so cold an anchorage in the middle of winter that her body would be perfectly preserved there while he was gone.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, a frenzied hunt begins for Samantha. Her dad launches a grassroots campaign to find his daughter. Upon returning home Israel, Keys calmly checks back on Samantha's corpse.
Speaker 4: When he gets back, Samantha's bodies frozen solid in the cabinet. There is some difficult to getting it out. Actually, he takes the body out, faws it out with heaters, has sex with a corpse.
Speaker 1: Then, in a horrifying turn, Keys makes a successful ransom demand by sending a photo of the young woman made up to appear alive. He applies makeup so's her eyes open with fishing line and poses the body alongside an addition of the Anchorage Daily News from four days earlier.
Speaker 4: And then ultimately ends up cutting her up into pieces, dismembering the body to get rid of it, puts some body parts in trash bags and hauls them to a lake, a frozen lake near Anchorage and cuts a hole in the ice, drops the bags into the water, weighs them down, and lets him sink to the bottom of the lake.
Speaker 1: On March sixth, with their ATM card in hand, Israel key As flies to Las Vegas and rents a car, and a dramatic chase begins. At this point, police think they are tracking a kidnapper. They have no reason to believe he is a serial murderer. They have no clues to his identity and no concept of the enormous depth of his crimes. Keys as a thirty four year old psychopathic serial killer, and like so many of these monsters, he's able to commit these grisly crimes while still carrying on a normal life.
Speaker 4: Somehow, he was able to just maintain this dual existence having these two separate identities, the one of the family man, the devoted father, and the one as the killer.
Speaker 1: Detective Malcolm Rieman encountered these types of violent psychopaths for over thirty years as a New York City Police Department homicide investigator. He specialized in sexual predator and serial killer cases.
Speaker 3: People expect to see serial killers as being some type of drooling, maniac, creepy, maniacal person, and it's not really the case, and what you'll often find is charming, articulate, friendly, normal people.
Speaker 1: The FBI defines psychopathy as a personality disorder manifested in people who use a mixture of charm, manipulation, intimidation, and sometimes violence to control others and satisfy their own selfish needs. Psychopathic serial murderers have no empathy for their victims and no remorse for their crimes, and sadly, they're surprisingly hard to spot.
Speaker 4: Israel Key's had his own business in a construction business. All his clients reported that he seemed very normal. He seemed very friendly most of the time. He seemed nothing unusual about him. The neighbors reported seemed to seem like a normal, friendly guy from all appearances.
Speaker 1: But is Israel Keys is far from normal. He sets out from Las Vegas on a determined drive across the Southwest. He heads through Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. Along the way, he stops several times to withdraw ransom money from Samantha's ATM account.
Speaker 4: When he made the withdrawal, there would be a king basically on the investigator's system. They would know the card's been used at this location, so they would rush to the location. But of course, by the time they got there, Keys is a long time. He was off in another town somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Investigators still have no idea who the kidnapper is, what kind of car is driving, or if Samantha is with him on his journey. Meanwhile, Samantha's disappearance has now gained national attention, fueled by her father's relentless efforts to save his daughter. Israel Keys is cleverly staying one step ahead of law enforcement. But then the man known as the most meticulous serial killer of the twenty first century makes an uncharacteristic mistake and police uncovers shocking truths about this heartless serial killer. Alaska's serial killer Israel. Keys abducts eighteen year old Samantha Koenig and brutally rapes and murders the young woman. He stashes her body in a cabinet and calmly leaves on a family vacation. Upon his return, he dismembers the corpse and drops the remains in a frozen lake, but still convinces her father and the police she's only been kidnapped. Now, law enforcement is tracking Keys through the southwest United States by the use of Samantha's at M card, hoping she is still alive. What's going on inside the warped mind of this killer and what drives him towards these heinous acts. Keys is energized by his crime and craves more thrills well.
Speaker 4: In addition to using the ATM card. While he was in Texas, Key's also decided he was going to rob a bank. This is something he'd done before. He'd robbed several banks before in the past. He found a house in a small town in Texas to ledo Texas. He broke into the house, burglarized it for what he could, and then set it on fire. And the point is setting it on fire was for diversion, So, in other words, he planned on the fire, drawing out the police from the nearby town so that he could then go to the town and rob the bank, which he did and rob the bank in Leigo, Texas.
Speaker 1: The anonymous murderer continues across the Southwest, but finally investigators catch a break. It's an uncharacteristic slip up for a killer whose precise planning has kept him under the radar for many years. At one of his withdrawals, the security camera catches a glimpse of keys rental car. It's a white twenty twelve Ford Focus.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't until they got the video of his rental car that they had something concrete that could actually searched for. So then the FBAI put out of a polo beyond the lookout for this twenty twelve white Ford Focus.
Speaker 1: On March thirteenth, a Texas Highway patrol and spots the White Ford in the parking lot of a quality in motel in Lufkin, Texas.
Speaker 4: He's got in the car, drove off, and they pulled him over. In the car they found an addition, obviously to the strangeness of this driver, having an Alaska driver's license. They also found Samantha Koonig's cell phone. They found Samantha Konigs atm card, a gun cash with the inkstand on it from robbery, and they knew they had their.
Speaker 6: Before we ask any questions, listeners stand your rights.
Speaker 4: You have the rights will be in silent. Anything you say can use the usty board.
Speaker 1: Do you have the right to talk to a lawyer for advice before.
Speaker 5: We ask you questions?
Speaker 3: You have the right to have a word with you during question if you cannot afford a.
Speaker 7: Lawyer who will be appointed for you affording questions.
Speaker 1: The Anchorage police and the FBI interrogate Keys, still having no idea he may be involved in any other murders. Sadly, on March thirty first, twenty twelve, he gives a gruesome confession of Samantha Koenik's torture and murder, and then the complex psychology of Israel Keys begins to unveil. He hints that there are other victims, many other victims.
Speaker 8: There is no one who knows me or who has ever known me, who knows anything about me. Really, they know they're going to tell you something that does not line up with anything I tell you because I'm.
Speaker 4: Two different people basically.
Speaker 8: And the only person who knows about what I'm telling you the kind of things I'm telling.
Speaker 9: You is me.
Speaker 4: How long have you been too?
Speaker 5: Different people?
Speaker 4: A long time? Fourteen years.
Speaker 1: Over the next nine months, investigators attempt to piece together other crimes Keys may have committed. More than forty hours of complex interrogation and psychological maneuvering reveals a killer with a shockingly precise method for serial murder.
Speaker 10: In the case of Israel Keys, even after he was arrested, he still felt the need to try to contry the situation, control law enforcement, and make the situation as beneficial for himself, despite the fact that he was apprehended as a serial killer. So, for example, he was only willing to give very limited information to police even though they had arrested him. So he was willing to negotiate, but he had very specific stipulations associated with all of the information he was willing to give out, and he was only willing to give out more once the stipulations were fulfilled.
Speaker 1: Investigators hope he'll cooperate and help bring closure to the victims' families. While Keys often focuses on receiving coffees and cigars.
Speaker 9: First of all, do I get a cigar today?
Speaker 4: What I can do is I can give you something. Get that cigar. There was a bank robbery in tupper Lake.
Speaker 6: That was me, and I'm sure it was probably the only bank robbery in that town for a while.
Speaker 1: Security cam photos confirm Key's account. The investigators and Keys share a laugh about using real hair for his disguises. Key's response is chilling your.
Speaker 6: Use real hair when you buy real hair.
Speaker 4: You don't have to buy real hair to get real hair.
Speaker 9: Fair enough, I guess you just take it. Hairs free. Everything's free if you take it.
Speaker 4: He wanted to have control. He seem to enjoy toying with the investigators as well. He would generally allude to certain crimes without giving details or specifics, leaving the investigators wanting more and more from him and kind of drawing them along that way.
Speaker 1: Interrogating these cunning serial killers can be very challenging for investigators. Detectives call the interrogation room the box.
Speaker 3: When I'm in the interview room, when I'm in the box with the serial killer, before I go in there, I want to know everything about that person. I want to know every intricate detail about that person's life.
Speaker 4: I want to know about.
Speaker 3: The traumatic things that happened in childhood. I want to know about previous crimes. I want to know everything about them. I want them to feel transparent. I want them to feel like there's nothing that they can hide from me that either I know or I'm going to find out.
Speaker 1: Experienced detectives learn how to read nonverbal cue and how to manipulate the suspect to get the information they need. Investigators notice that Israel Keys gets physically excited when he talks about his skills, rapidly tapping his hands and feet and jangling his shackles. It's a way detectives know when he is telling the truth. With Israel Keys, this process is extremely difficult. Keys agrees to continue to cooperate on the condition that they keep his name out of the press.
Speaker 7: We can work out some sort of a dreament that you know, I give you all the answers on these cases.
Speaker 4: Families get closure, You find his news.
Speaker 7: As many of them as possible, and and in return for that, you know, I you.
Speaker 6: Know, I don't plan on being around a hole lot longer, But of.
Speaker 4: Being concerned to me, is you know my kid's going to be around. I don't want her to.
Speaker 1: Like type my name into computer and it pop up late. You know, he doesn't want his ten year old daughter to hear about his grisly crimes.
Speaker 7: I'm not for glory, and.
Speaker 8: I don't see why the media has to get involved at all.
Speaker 1: FBI Special Agent Jolene Godin is part of the interrogation team.
Speaker 5: He wanted the death penalty, and he wanted it fast. It was speaking generally, that was what he wanted. There were little things along the way that he wanted, you know, he wanted evidence, return to family members and things like that. But big picture, what he wanted. He wanted to avoid trials. He wanted to avoid publicity and media. He wanted to avoid being taken from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and tried in you know, multiple places. And ultimately he wanted the death penalty and he wanted it quickly. He didn't want to sit in jail for a long period of time.
Speaker 1: Investigators tell Keys he won't get the death penalty without other victims. He slowly begins to reveal information about others he murders. They learn that Keys has been eluding capture through brilliant planning. He has studied the serial killers of the past and idolizes Ted Bundy. But they're shocked to discover that there's never been any serial killer quite like Israel Keys. The FBI and the Anchorage, Alaska Police Department are deep into the interrogation of serial killer Israel Keys. Keys has already confessed to one heinous murder, but now investigators are unraveling horrifying layers of complex and unspeakable crimes.
Speaker 4: So Keys view the entire country as his hunting grounds. So what he would do is, even though he was based out of Alaska, Okay, out of Anchorage, he would fly to another city a say, for example, he fight a Chicago, Okay. Once he got there to Chicago, he would rent a car. He'd then drive that car to a different state or through multiple states, putting on hundreds even thousands of miles before he got to where he actually committed the crime. So the crime was committed thousands and thousands of miles away multiple jurisdictions, so it made it very difficult to try to track him or come up with any sort of suspect in the crimes.
Speaker 5: Everything was meticulously planned and our interviews with him were the same. From his standpoint. I mean, he I never got the sense that he accidentally told us something or got anger and riled up and then something flew out of his mouth. He My sense was that he knew every time he came in kind of what he was going to give us that day.
Speaker 1: In the chilling interview, Keys talks about his inspiration and his motives other people like that.
Speaker 7: I probably know every single serial killer that's being written about this kind.
Speaker 4: Of a hobby around.
Speaker 7: I don't really consider myself all that different and all that special from hundreds of thousands of other people. All you have to do is type in a word search on any given porn site, and you know there's all kinds of people who have fantasies about rape and bondage and you know, kinds of things that I take it to another level.
Speaker 4: I think with me, it's a combination of things.
Speaker 7: It's not you know, it's not just about the sexual fantasies and it's not it's definitely not just about the money, and it's not just.
Speaker 4: About the adrenaline.
Speaker 7: But it's all of those things together, and that's what I get out of it. And once I started doing, you know, once I did it, once I started, you know, and there was nothing else like it.
Speaker 1: In his intricate planning, Keys even go so far as to ury pre packed murder kits in at least five states around America Israel.
Speaker 4: Keys put so much thought in prop and planning into his crimes. He would use what he called kill kits. These were five gallon plastic buckets. He would then put certain things in the buckets that he wanted to use for his crimes. He would put guns in the buckets. He would put ammunition in the buckets. He would put zip ties in the buckets. He would put tape in the buckets, flashlights, whatever he thought he would need. He'd then seal up the bucket and bury it in the ground. He did this in multiple states. He did it in New York and in Vermont. He did it in Washington, he did in Alaska. Then he would return to these sites, sometimes years later, and dig up the bucket, get the items out, and then use them for the crime.
Speaker 1: He even included caustic chemicals like dreno and lyne to help dispose of the bodies. The kits allowed him to travel without any weapons or tools to avoid security concerns at airports. Keys referred to his kits as buried treasures. Investigators find that Keys uses guns to control his victims, but that's not how he likes to kill. Keys takes investigators through the killing of Bill and Lorraine Courier in Essex, Vermont, in June of twenty eleven, four thousand miles from Anchorage. It's a typical stalk and kill murder for this ruthless predator.
Speaker 4: The couriers were chosen mostly at random, and I say mostly at random because there was a little bit of a criteria involved, not for the victims themselves, not for their carriers themselves, but for their home. He's had certain things he was looking for that particular night. He wanted a one story building. He wanted a home with an attached garage. He wanted a home that it looked like there weren't any children there. And unfortunately for the Couriers, their home fit the profile to a t. He called it a blitzkrieg attack. He broke in through the no one could see him. He was attached garage, so he broke in the window in the garage door, broke into the kitchen of the house. Immediately stormed into the key's bedroom and surprised them, subdued them, and took them away.
Speaker 1: But Keyes says he was unhappy it didn't go according to his plan and he had to shoot Bill Currier.
Speaker 4: He typically liked to strangle his victims to death. It was kind of a more personal murder, hands on literally the killing. So in the case of Bill Currier as the murder victim in Vermont, he was shot and killed, which is very unusual for keys to do. And the reason why keys did it is Bill Currier was not cooperating, not following directions. Ultimately, there's a loss of control of the situation. There was screaming and shouting and was not following instructions, not following directions from keys, and this loss of control anger Keys. It pissed him off and he reacted violently shot him hoped times.
Speaker 1: Keyes states he was disappointed because he had other plans for Bill Carrier.
Speaker 4: He never specified what the other plans were, but implied in that is that there was definitely some sort of torture that was in mind.
Speaker 1: This idea of power and control often runs through the motives of many serial killers. For years, researchers have tried to identify and categorize what creates and drives these monsters. Israel Keys fits in the categories of seeking power and control, as well as the sheer thrill of killing. Sex and torture are also common elements of serial murders, but these components are not always involved.
Speaker 3: I see really two basic types that I've dealt with, and the first type being a sexual predator hunter. He's going out and hunting down victims, seeking them out and deriving some type of sexual pleasure in victimizing them. And then you have another type of serial killer who's exacting some type of revenge. It's a revenge killer. They're getting revenge from rejection, alienation, perceived slights against a group of people, and they're destroying them out of a need for vengeance.
Speaker 1: Keys seems to fit into the sexual predator hunter category, while another brutal serial killer from the Ukraine falls into the revenge category. Anatotally Onoprienko took the lives of at least fifty two innocent victims. A twelve gage shotgun was his weapon of choice.
Speaker 2: Serial killer who was not oriented or sexual homicide so much as just plain misanthropic, killing one person after the other would be of this fellow on a Prianco from the Ukraine.
Speaker 1: On a Prienco's grisly crime scenes appear to express pathological rage against families, a hatred spawned by his own troubled childhood. When on a Prienco was just four years old, his mother died. His older brother stayed on with his father, but Anatoly was placed in an orphanage. Apparently this abandonment fuels his homicidal rage.
Speaker 2: He developed a hatred for how he was raised and for mankind in general. He would often invade a house in this small town places and kill all the people in the house, sometimes several all the months, and then burn the house down in order to further get back at the people who had the advantage of living in a nice home, which he never could do, so that he was punishing those who had the good fortune to be raised in a warm, loving home.
Speaker 1: Many serial killers claim they are on some kind of mission, driven by psychotic visions or voices to commit such crimes. You have to be given the right, But I can't prove who gave me the right. Maybe God gave me the right. How can I prove it? When, for example, there are six billion people on earth who claim to have seen God, but they can't prove it. But maybe I've seen God, maybe I've received a conquete tesk from Him, but I can't prove it well.
Speaker 11: Psychosis is more of there's a breaker's reality. The person used reality in a significantly different way than persons around them. They may have delusions, which are beliefs that have no basis in reality. They may experience voices that no one else around them hears. They may see things that no one else around them sees. They may be actually very disorganized.
Speaker 4: In their thought.
Speaker 11: There's a clear break with reality that generally they're seen as mental yield.
Speaker 1: Serial killers sometimes fake psychosis in order to escape the death penalty. On a Prienko try to use insanity as his defense, but the courts felt he was faking his mental illness and he was sentenced to death.
Speaker 11: There's no one course that makes an individual turn into or becoming criminals. There's all one individual path. There's different things you want to look at, and that one is the family dynamics, the relationship with the family, the mother the father, of the relationship the mother and the father have with themselves.
Speaker 1: Some experts believe Key's unconventional childhood played a role in fueling his desire to kill. Israel Keys grew up in a remote forest outside the small town of Colville, Washington. He was one of nine children. His family belonged to a strict religious group called the Arc, a church associated with racist and antisemitic theology. He was homeschooled and had little chance to socialize with other kids. He insists he wasn't abused or neglected as a child, but could the extreme isolation in his childhood be what transformed him into a monster serial killer. Israel Keys has operated completely under the radar for decades. His precise planning has allowed him to murder an untold number of victims without leaving a hint of a trail. Now investigators are interrogating the killer to attempt to determine the depth of his crimes and the motives behind his depravity. It seems a strange childhood may have played a role. Keyes grew up in the isolated woods outside of the small town of Colville, Washington. He enjoyed hunting and once remarked he would kill an anything with a heartbeat, since.
Speaker 6: I was fortunate that there were things that I thought were normal and that we're okay, that nobody got Some friends came with up when there was a cat of ours that was already getting into the trash, and they all went up in the live and took a piece of parish and cord high up through the tree and I shot it in the stomach that was getting this last time anybody went.
Speaker 11: In with.
Speaker 4: Well, when he was young, when he was about nineteen or twenty, he's committed his first violent crime against another person. He was watching a girl two being in a river in an Oregon from the woods, and he decided that you were going to a taker and killer, and he took the girl, grabbed her when she was separated from the people she was with. He grabbed her offtitude, dragged her up, and raped her, but then decided to let her go.
Speaker 1: Is it just a dreadful childhood that turns these people into serial killers? They often asked question is whether it's nature or nurture. Is it a result of their upbringing or are they born to kill?
Speaker 11: That's a great question. I think that question is currently hotly debated, and it's something that it's been questioned now over for two hundred and fifty years. Is someone born a criminal, is someone made a criminal.
Speaker 1: Behavioral studies theorized that the serial killer's dysfunctional childhood may lead to this a cold hearted lack of empathy.
Speaker 10: Most research that I've seen has suggested it's the interact between nature and nurture. It's the biological tendencies combined with the right environment to allow them to act out on those tendencies. If they have a predisposition to, let's say, be impulsive, or be unempathetic, or to commit crimes, parents could help neutralize that. But if they have that tendency and they have very bad parents, you can imagine that that tendency could just run wild and be exacerbated.
Speaker 3: I think absolutely that there is something in eight. There is something intrinsic, something that's within somebody to become a serial killer. I think that an environmental stimuli certainly can trigger it, and there are certain traits that or occurrences that will happen to somebody that may trigger it. But the bottom line is it's got to be something within them to make them that way.
Speaker 1: Israel Keys develops his love for killing very early in life, and he continues honing his murderous craft understanding Israel Key's motives for killing presents a complex puzzle for law enforcement. Another notorious serial murderer from Great Britain displays a similar psychopathic love of killing.
Speaker 12: We understand that the police called on the owners of number one sixty three Melrose Avenue today because they owned two dogs and those two dogs might have picked up some of the bones from one ninety five Melrose Avenue and buried them.
Speaker 4: In their back garden.
Speaker 12: Police described it tonight as only a cursory search and said they will be checking other gardens in the street as well. And I think it's right to say that we have found a significant amount of human bones and also a part of a jaw with teeth.
Speaker 1: Te Dennis Nielsen is one of Great Britain's most notorious serial killers, claiming at least twelve young men as victims. Like Keys, his murders are motivated by the thrill of killing, but Nilson's crimes appear to be driven by a morbid fascination with death and extreme loneliness. He would lure young male victims back to his home, strangle them and plunge their heads underwater to be certain they were dead. He'd sometimes commit sex acts with his dead victims. Nielsen said he saved the corpses for a while.
Speaker 13: To keep him company, but at least fifteen people paid the ultimate price for Dennis Nielsen's hospitality. He killed them, He chopped up their bodies, and he then burned, boiled, or buried the pieces.
Speaker 14: Twelve of the sixteen murders happened at Nielsen's flat in Melrose Avenue, North London. Each time he hid the body under the floorboards. Nielsen was asked by police how many bodies were under the floorboards at any one time. He replied, I didn't do a stock check or anything. It's all a bit of a jumble.
Speaker 1: Like Israel Keys, Nielsen shows no mental break with reality. He displays clear and calculating thought. In nineteen eighty three, after five years of killing, plumbing clogged with human remains and the body parts found by the dogs lead to Nielsen's capture. When asked about his motive for murder, Nielsen says, well, enjoying it is as good a reason as any. In nineteen ninety eight, after his troubled childhood, Israel Keys joins the army. He starts to drink heavily and enjoys the company of prostitutes, but he also learns more valuable skills to help him intensify his experiences.
Speaker 4: He's enlisted in the army when he was about twenty years old. He was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington, and so he learned survival skills. During the army, he learned how to handle weapons in the army, These sorts of skills that he would then put the use for committing his crimes later on.
Speaker 1: It was during this time he meets Tammy Hawkins, and together they have a daughter. After the army, he lives with Tammy and his daughter in the lush forests of Washington's Olympic Peninsula, and it's thought that there he puts his hunting skills to the test on human beings.
Speaker 4: So Keys would typically try to find areas that were isolated parks or one of his favorite areas to scout to stock people. He would then wait for people to show up. He would follow them and would track them as necessary, and then surprise them.
Speaker 1: It appears Keys murders four victims in the forests of Washington State, often disposing of the bodies in remote mountain lakes. His murders continue for more than fourteen years, and law enforcement has no idea there's even a killer at large. Then, in February twenty twelve, Keys kills Samantha Konik close to home in Anchorage, Alaska, a rare impulsive decision for this calculating murderer.
Speaker 4: So one of his rules, one of his primary rules, was not to commit these crimes where he lived, and with Samantha, he broke his own rule.
Speaker 1: This mistake of temptation has now led to his downfall. He's now under arrest and heading for trial in Anchorage. The negotiations continue to try to get more information from Israel Keys. Then suddenly, during a court appearance, he once again shocks law enforcement.
Speaker 4: During one of the hearings in court, he decided he was going to try to escape, and while the attorneys were up arguing before the judge, he bolted tried to run out of the courtroom, but before he get even clear the aisle there the courtroom, deputies tackled him and subdued him.
Speaker 1: In typical fashion, Keys shows no remorse for his escape attempt.
Speaker 12: I mean, come on, let's say say, yeah, what happened yesterday?
Speaker 4: Who I'm a bad guy?
Speaker 7: I tried to escape, but let's be honest, nobody really thought it was a good guy before that.
Speaker 1: So during months of interrogation, Israel Keys admits to killing at least nine people, but investigators fear the actual total is higher.
Speaker 5: And he was very evasive at times during interviews, and he told us when we tried to pin him down on a number, he would say it was less than twelve. But then there were things that he would say that led us to believe that less than twelve, he's simply meant eleven. And so he was quick to correct us in interviews if we had something wrong. So there were several times where we just throughout statements like you were eleven victims or things like that, and he didn't correct us. So based on that and so much additional things that he said, we believe the number is eleven.
Speaker 4: He traveled so extensively, both in the US and in other countries such long periods of time, long periods of time that authorities haven't been able to pinpoint where he was oftentimes, So the number of victims is going to be much higher than eleven. In my opinion, Israel.
Speaker 1: Keys begs the FBI for a quick death sentence, but the agents continue to press for information on other victims. Keys grows impatient with the process and decides to take matters into his own hands.
Speaker 4: On December first, twenty twelve, while he was in prison awaiting trial in the ConA case, he's slit his wrists and also used his headsheet to strangle himself as insurance to make sure he got the job done. So as he bled out and as his body shifted relaxed from leading, he rigged the sheet so that they would strangle him to make sure he did the job. So he committed suicide while in prison.
Speaker 3: In many cases with serial killers, they start a very young age, often starting in their teen years, and I think historically they never stopped. The only way that the serial killer stops historically is if they're incarcerated or they kill themselves, which somewhat often that they do commit suicide.
Speaker 1: Crumpled inside the blanket on Key his deathbed is a bloodstained suicide. Note the case of Israel, Keys reinforces the immense challenges facing law enforcements in their efforts to apprehend serial killers.
Speaker 3: Can you take a common murder case, you start at the nucleus of that person's life. Then you work your way out from there with a serial killer, often just a random person, and that person does not even figure into that investigation, and it's somebody who's completely off the radar. How you're going to find them. You have to use modern technology and you have to use old fashioned police work. You have to be absolutely relentless. You just got to keep on plugging.
Speaker 4: Keys is really unique in the world of serial killers and the amount of preparation and planning you put into his crimes. He's so meticulous in his crimes that he's really a new breed of serial killer. He was extremely deceptive, extremely cunning. You got a journaline rush from it. You love the thrill of it. If he hadn't been caught, Keys would still be out there doing it today as a serial killer and as an individual. Keys as deceptive and cunning as the devil.