Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you Easy Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: All right, we're talking about coyotes. We spoke during the ten o'clock hour. There were several coyotes sightings in the town of Brookline, Massachusetts, which it's Brookline is a separate town, but for those of you who are listening in other parts of the country, it is almost surrounded by Boston. I mean, when you're in Brookline, you're as close to being in Boston without being in Boston as you can be. So if there are coyotes in Brookline, there are coyotes in Boston as well. And I think we've got to the point here in New England, at least in the Greater Boston, it is time for us to start to relocate these coyotes and get them back to central and western Massachusetts. Now some of you might agree with that, some of you might disagree with that.
Speaker 1: That's what this is all about. I'm concerned. We had a caller at the end Lauren last hour, who talked about the scarcity of coyote attacks. They are imposing animals. It's as simple as that. So I'm going to just open up the phone lines. We have one line at six months seven two, five, four ten thirty one line at six month seven nine three one ten thirty. Our coyotes. We talked last hour to John in New York. He said that he sees coyotes where he lives. Mark is an Austin which is part of Boston, says he sees coyotes. Patty and Wellesley, which is a suburb of Boston, said that she saw a fox tonight run in front of her car. Rachel h is an advocate for coyotes, and I think she was in effect opposed to my plan to relocate them. She feels that they were here first. Okay, that's fine, you know so so so weren't dinosaurs, but that's here to there. Uh so, let's let's just get going here six one, seven two, five four to ten thirty one line there six months, seven nine three one, ten thirty. We're going to go to Alex and Millis. I got to believe that coyotes and mill in mill Is, Alex, how are you?
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, absolutely so. I haven't seen one in a while, but I was walking my fifty five pound golden duo Apollo. This It would be around the same time last year. And we live on a scenic road, so in the woods what my dog goes ballistic? He was pulling me and the coyotes. It was a coyote. It stood for a few minutes like froze, and then it took off. But I would describe it as an emaciated German shepherd because it was like, you know, they're not they're not what do you called. They seem to be on the anorexic side, but.
Speaker 1: They're probably not eating as well as.
Speaker 4: As you would make And and you know the other day I did run into two deers actually almost like you know, they they came out of nowhere, and I you know, I stopped in time. But uh, so you.
Speaker 1: Were driving, I mean you were you were driving? I was driving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay, well yeah, we uh actually, uh the only other thing I saw was there was a there was a bunch of foxes. There was a dinner foxes, uh in one of our neighbors in the back of his shed and their dog was going, you know, going over there. But they somehow relocated. But there were like five.
Speaker 1: So what would you do with kind? So do you do you think Kita's were a problem here in you know, in the inside of four ninety five. You're obviously in millers, so you're not inside one twenty eight. Yeah, they have problem. Would you relocate them or no?
Speaker 4: I would relocate them, but I'd say I would be more afraid of the two legged kinyoes, if you know what I mean, because you know they won't bother you that much. I don't. I don't think they'll bother you.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, fair enough? Well we Uh, I think it's time to say that, mister wiley coyote. Uh, we've seen enough of you. It's time for you to leave. We're going to get you into some areas in the state where you'd be more than welcome. I just think that it's it's I don't want to see a coyote in my yard there, and I think there's a lot of people there. There are people in the hot We did stories in this year ago. They were very concerned about it. But there were people up here saying, oh, no, we want the coyotes. I want to hear from some people who want to tell me they want the coyotes as well. I'd love to know why.
Speaker 4: Oh, one quick thing, Dan, Yeah, I put in I put in some vegetables, you know, raised race fawer beds. And there's this rabbit. But I don't think it's attracted to the tomatoes. But I'm just wondering, uh, you know, and I'm talking about a big rabbit. It looks almost like a like an overgrown cat, and it just just keeps coming near, you know, near our law and all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, if I were con your suggestion, I'd go with the two iron.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, two eye is more effective in my opinion.
Speaker 1: No, don't don't hurt the rabbit, not at all, you know, uh, you know, feed them, give them some carrots. They love carrots. Okay, thanks, Alex, I gotta go. Okay, Yeah, bringing the rabbit in here, that's good. We'll talk about whatever. I'm not going to relocate the rabbits, okay, let's just talk about coyotes. Gonna relocate the coyotes. I got a couple of lines at six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty one and six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Everybody says to me, you talk too much politics. We're not gonna talk politics, Okay, We're just gonna talk coyotes. Uh, have you seen a coyote in your neck of the woods, in your neighborhood. Are you worried about them or are you ready to live with them? Simple as that there are people out there probably like them. I don't. I'm saying, let's relocate them. I don't want to be neither to them. Let's relocate them. Send them to New Hampshire. Of them on or western Massachusetts. Get them out of eastern massache us. That's my thought. Love to hear from you. You call me cruel, but you know, just call me. We'll be back on night Side after this.
Speaker 2: Night Side with Dan Ray, I'm w B Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, let's keep rolling. We got full lines again. I like that. Let's go to Laura Laura Junior in Lynn Laura Jr. Welcome back.
Speaker 5: How are you hey?
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I'm nice to hear from you. Dan. I wish your true happiness as well as all your listeners. Glennon Brighton, I was in in Portland, ME. I don't know why. Want she called always think about Jim Brady. I don't know why. But also one of my favorite callers. I think his name is Joe. He sounds like David or cheez. I think you know, you might know who exact I know.
Speaker 1: I know Joe. Joe's a great good friend. By the way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a true instivation to me. I'm half Spanish myself, and I looked up to him. I was born here, but I'm trying to learn Spanish. But I feel scared, but I look up to him. He's a true inspiration to me.
Speaker 1: Good. How do you feel about coyotes?
Speaker 5: Skin them? I totally totally agree with you about you saying you want to remocate them. Totally agree. And I'm not surprised that they're in Brookline because I used to walk near there. I used to work at one of your competitive radio stations in Brighton, and I used to see wild turkeys like crossing the street. So I'm not I'm not to process see kyotes. Another another one that I wish that wasn't around. And you might laugh at this. One of my biggest fires, Dan is dragonflies. That's my biggest fires.
Speaker 1: Dragonflies. I don't think they bite you. I did a lot of insects. I don't like wasps. I don't like any of those things. But do they bite the dragonflies?
Speaker 5: No, No, they don't. They they're harmless. They're good because they eat wasps, but they eat mosquitoes the eb so they're good for us, but for me, the big me and a scary worker. So I wish they could be I.
Speaker 1: Was Warri.
Speaker 5: Kirlees. Yes, very scared of them. I would not want to. I never saw them here up here and Lynn, thank god, but they I guess, Oh you.
Speaker 1: Got him in, Lynn, Laura, j you got him and Lynn trust me on that. I mean they have him over in the high They got him in, hid, you got him in and trust me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank god. I've never seeing them, and I don't want to feel them. I like to keep it that way. I thought I saw wild turkey, said to last summer.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're around. Wild turkeys have made a big comeback. Don't mess with wild turkeys, particularly two or three of them. They'll come at you, Lawland. I'm hoping Joe's listening tonight, because Joe's a great guy. I'm sure he will have loved to have heard what you had to say.
Speaker 5: Mostly, keep on the work there, have a go on you.
Speaker 1: Too, low, don't be stranger. Okay, thanks, Match, We keep rolling here. We're gonna get everybody caught up. Robin Medforday, Rob, you're next night side. Welcome.
Speaker 2: Hi Dan, Thank you, sir. I'd like to thank you. I'd like to offer a few observations, some information right ahead, Okay, as recently as nineteen fifty six, if you were to go ninety three north from Boston to Wellington Circle, there was no highway there. There was a little shallow pond and there was a stream that came down from Pine Hill. Now that stream has since been put underground. And at about the urban wildlife, I see a possum comes out of the sewer. They've just relocated. They're still around. There's a possum that comes out, crosses the street around one thirty in the morning, goes down the other sewer. I've seen coyote around, but it's not to worry. If you just see one coyote. If there is a bunch of them, get your flashlight out.
Speaker 1: Okay, someone else mentioned that. By the way, someone else mentioned that's good to know they.
Speaker 2: Will not only yes, they're frightened that that works.
Speaker 6: That was a great Oh.
Speaker 2: And also let me say the man with the tomato is tomato leaves the poisonous to rabbits, so he's not to worry about his tomatoes with a rabbit. Now out here in Medford, I'm seven miles north of Boston, near Wellington Circle. I've seen coyote only one at a time, and I checked with the wildlife folks and they said, oh, yes, they're familiar down at Actually I don't want to say where they're living, but they actually know where. There's a den of at least a few living in Medford down towards the river, and they don't really bother anybody. But I have also noted in the area there's red and white sail hawks. There are turkeys around. The males can be very AGGRESSI in the springtime because they're trying to show off. People should beware that. Back in nineteen fifty six when this was like I said, that stream and that little pond where Wellington's, where Roosevelt Circle is, we had five hundred beers in Massachusetts. That population has increased to about eighty five hundred bears in Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about that the other night, and they're going to increase in two thousand and six, they're going to increase the amount of time that people can hunt bears. The fella from mass Wildlife the other day said it was about five thousand bears and they want to keep the population stable. They're not looking to reduce it dramatically, but they need to stop its growth. According to I think the fellow we had is Dave Waddles from Mass Wildlife.
Speaker 2: Great guy. I've also seen gear rabbits in the area, chipmunks, squirrels and and skunks and porcupines, I think, you know, I have some some cardinals, I think, and the fox occasional fox. But basically not to worry it if you come across. I mean I worry it now, even just letting I have a little a little dog that I don't want them to be out. You know, you never know. They are capable of snatching. Even the hawks are able to snatch a little dog.
Speaker 1: So but.
Speaker 2: A question to you, Dan, is there an abundance of skunks in Washington.
Speaker 7: D C.
Speaker 1: Yes they are. There are a lot of skunks in Washington, D C. And many of them had the letter D or R associated with their name.
Speaker 2: Now, can the coyotes maybe come and eat the Boston rats?
Speaker 1: That was that would be a real purpose. I would welcome the coyote and that way they could dine, they could dine in the rats. Very interesting, Rob, Rob, there was a very creative call. I really have to say, hats off. You're one of the the excellent callers of the night. I do appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, god bless you, sir. I'm gonna need a bigger hat.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not a problem. You just keep working, working and call the show more often. Okay, thank you very much, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks a great night.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll get good night. We'll get one more in here, but maybe one or two more in here. Let me go next to Brad and Lynn. Second call it from Linda this hour. Hey Brad, have you seen any coyotes in Lynn? Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, all the time. They're everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I was trying to convince Laura Junior. So I'm hoping he's still listening.
Speaker 6: I actually I was in when I called it live in hont actually.
Speaker 1: And oh you had a lot of them in the hont Yeah.
Speaker 6: I called him a couple of years ago when it had the shop shooting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever happened to that. But whatever happened to that, did they uh did did they eliminate that population?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: They they suddenly one family suddenly went away, and then another family suddenly went away, and then there was just like maybe I think one of I don't know, there was only a couple left. I still see them all the time, but not like.
Speaker 1: So they weren't they weren't taken out then by sharpshooters. They they left it. They wrote a chord.
Speaker 6: Oh no, they were blasted. They set up a thing down the dump and they had a federal protection order and stuff at a federal plate. And I want to say that the truck was from the Midwest. I think that came in here.
Speaker 1: So there was action take bottom.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. They blasted him right in the dump and but oh yeah, unfortunately all were left with There's a lot of rotors, we got a lot of mice, we got a lot of rats. We've got a bunch of overpopulated with the rabbits. Because the coyotes killed the scarms, the squirrels, I don't know whatever else was out here. The foxes, you know, they killed all that stuff because they were the apex predators. So now that man took out, we took out them and uh and all the other you know, squirrels and you know, the skarms and the other things. They're off back in town eating the things. The raccoons. I mean, I haven't seen a raccoon out here in years now, and uh they used to be. Yeah.
Speaker 8: But yeah.
Speaker 6: As a sad note though, too, as we're seeing is like like because we've got a lot more rats and rolled into mice and the little you know, ground creatures running around, people put out the traps and they bade them. And then we also got a lot of eagles and hawks and stuff around. You have a flying and people are saying those are getting sick again. So I don't know, we was getting kind of it's like the kuy And that brings back to your point, whatever your barometer was in Easter ninety three. I mean, there's got to be something to be done because I mean, all of a sudden, you had that family here like what three four years ago, just eating everything out of sight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, I remember that story in the Haunt, and it was interesting. Half the town seemed to want to get rid of them, and half the town wanted to keep them.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I just think that I.
Speaker 6: Mean, if you had your cat and your dog, you know, you want to get rid of them. If you don't have an animal you have, you're probably like, you know, don't see him out of sight, out of mind. But you know, okay, I mean I used to see him every day. I mean I saw nine of them, ten of them walk by me when I was outside one day.
Speaker 1: That would be a little frightening when when they were in that much of a pack. I've heard them when they when they kill at night. I have coyotes near where I live and during the summertime when the windows are open and they have to kill at two o'clock in the morning, it's wild. I mean they just y.
Speaker 6: I heard one a couple of weeks ago. I jumped out out I could have whichever one was outside my window screamed, and then the other one, I don't know wherever it was, screamed. And it's usually only two of them, but they make it starm like there's like fifty of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's frightening, It's absolutely fine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but all right, well, well I'm sure we'll have something other issue to to ten without here, But now now it's rated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a problem. That is a problem, man, and that's got to get out of control.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean I see them walk by me all the time.
Speaker 1: It's you know, I don't know, they're they're pretty ugly. And well, I would hope that they could, that they could put out some sort of poison to deal with the rats.
Speaker 6: And well, we have all the rocks and the sea walls and the seaweeds and the little voids and the crags and whatnot, and they love it high tide they come in here, stuff you know that gets washed in. And they just said, oh, you could sit out there at low tide and watch them walk around all night long.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want to do that, but I understand. I guess. I guess it's very but they should have they should they should have some sort of way to get rid of rats. I mean, because that's that will destroy your city. That will destroy your city.
Speaker 6: We did before it was like, you know, the we had enough ractoons and squirrels and you knowsconsor you know whatever was eating whatever, and maybe the birds. But now, I mean, since since they're all gone and the balances shifted.
Speaker 1: I got you.
Speaker 6: I got it on the little island out there.
Speaker 1: Brad, Thank you very much. It's a beautiful place in lind It really is a beautiful place to hunt.
Speaker 6: Lynn Marble, it has marble at Neck, Lynn has Linen Neck. They just gave it a different name.
Speaker 1: I got you, I got you. Beg you, Brad, talk to you, sir, have a great night, Okay, don't want to short jury and change anyone to get Laurie coming up on the other side, Christine and Matt if you'd like to join the conversation, I have a line at six one seven, two, five four ten thirty and one A six one seven nine three one ten thirty. Have you seen coyotes in your neighborhood? And folks, if you're out there and outside of New England, I'd love to know if it's a problem where you are, because we have all of a sudden found out that there are coyotes in Brookline, Massachusetts. And Brookline, Massachusetts is as suburban a community as you could name. I mean, it's the equivalent of I guess Chevy Chase, Maryland or whatever the nice suburbs are around any any major American city. But it's people are concerned in Brookline, and I say it's time to start relocating coyotes away from Boston and may be away from where you live as well, better left to know if it's a problem. We'd be back on Nightside, Laurie. We'll lead it off on the other side, coming back right after this.
Speaker 9: Brookline police are telling the public to be on alert after they say coyotes attacked to dog Monday night. CBS News Boston reports that investigators say brazen behavior from coyotes is being spotted more and more around Brookline.
Speaker 1: Please say.
Speaker 9: The two coyotes emerged from a wooded area and attacked a dog in the Sergeant Beechwood area while it was on a walk. Neighbors say they've been seeing coyotes for years, but now they don't seem to be afraid of humans. I'm Dan Watkins.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio. They get Dan Watkins. That's exactly what we're talking about tonight here on Nightside. As a matter of fact, that we'll get this story in the Globe. Says during the Monday incident, the owner was able to free the dog and escape the area. Police did not release the exact address of the attack. H So we're just talking about Brookline, but if you know the boss An area, you know Brookline. Let me go to Laurie in Idaho. She knows the Boston area, but she knows Idaho. I will bet you you have more than coyotes in your neighborhood, Laurie.
Speaker 4: Oh, we do. And I just will say quickly that when I was living in Massachusetts, that's when they started coming. People in Westwood and Chelmsford started seeing them during the day. And that was fifteen years ago anyway, So it's they've been working their way east. But they are much larger in the Northeast than they are at least here and maybe other parts of the country. So they are the biggest predator on the block. So it makes them very brazen and very I don't like them. I can't stand the yip parties. So we do have them out here.
Speaker 1: They are ye, the yip party, even when they have a kill you made.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, that horrible, annoying chorus of just it's creepy, Yeah yeah, I can't see it.
Speaker 1: Are they aggressive? Or if you were walking down the road somewhere where you live and a coyote came out of the woods, would they confront you or would they.
Speaker 2: Show Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: I've never seen them except baby in the headlights at night because they are hunted by the wolves in the mountain, lions and the golden eagles. So they are much more timid out here. There were nowhere near brazen. You hear their parties out in the woods or out not even in the woods. You can hear them from downtown, but I have not seen one in the daylight out here ever.
Speaker 1: Wow, well, the the reverse is true here. We just had a spate of sightings in Brookline. And of course what happens now is there are a lot of people who have cameras on their home, so therefore you wouldn't have had that twenty years ago, so someone would have said, oh, I saw a coyote last night. Now you can they go to the videotape.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're the biggest predator in the neighborhood. There's nobody, you know, around where they're living that goes after them except for humans hunters. So they're brazen and they're brave out here. They're timid because they're afraid they're going to get caught by a mountain lioner or a golden eagle overhead. They will go eagle will pick up a coyote and take off with it. So they're timid out here because they have true apex predators around them.
Speaker 1: So an eagle can pick up a coyote. It looks to me like gold the.
Speaker 4: Golden eagles bigger than a bald eagle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you know your your predators and you're a neck of the woods out there. That's that's for sure. Well, I just think we need to trap them and relocate them. I'm aging to go shoot them or kill them. I don't want to do that. Then kind of get them out of here because they will take over our neighborhoods here and the people they will. It's a very tolerant community, if you know what I'm saying. And there's been a lot of uh hue and cry from Brookline residents. We had a woman on last hour, Nicole Roberts, who seems like a really nice woman. I you know, I feel for them, It's as simple as.
Speaker 8: That I do.
Speaker 4: And I don't like them. I don't like them at all. I can't stand them. I'm very grateful that I've never seen them out here, but I used to see them in New England and I I just.
Speaker 1: Think it's interesting that of all the places in the world where I assume coyotes would be fairly prevalent, it would be a place like Idaho.
Speaker 4: But you may they are, but we don't see them because they're scared of the people that they are pray for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're out here.
Speaker 4: You can hear them, you just don't see them.
Speaker 1: But the predators, the predators that the coyotes in Idaho are afraid of, are not predators that go after humans.
Speaker 4: Not generally. I mean, this is the one thing you have to worry about with a kina. This is the other thing that's concerning about nine is rabies.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: So if you're yell and howl and do the airhorn and they don't run away, you probably should be concerned because they might be sick. But no, we've never had no, we don't get wolf attacks or mountain lions. They're in the woods. You see them. But if you if you behave yourself, they don't bother you. But they're out there.
Speaker 1: Well, you have struck a balance of nature in Idaho. That probably for us. For someone from New England, probably you learned a lot while out there. I hope Laurie loved you.
Speaker 4: I learned it, but I still have got in the window.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what you that's what you've learned. That's that's a valuable lesson. Lauren, love your Paul. Thank you so much. We'll talk later. Thank you, good night all. Just keep rolling here. I'm going to go to uh, Matt Is in Brighton. Matt, what's going on? I assume you probably have more rats in Brighton than you have coyotes.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, no, we got we got it all. Definitely more rats. You know. I grew up originally in Newton, lived down south in Florida and never saw any coyotes. But in Newton they're all over. And here's the thing. Then there's some of them are called kyo wolves, which is a hybrid between a coyote, a wolf, an Eastern wolf, and a domestic dog. So some man, these things are getting up to fifty pounds and they're quite big. It's gonna happen more up north in the main area, but they've definitely come into the area around Newton and stuff. I live in Brighton. I haven't seen a coyote in Brighton.
Speaker 2: But I had.
Speaker 11: One of those doorbell cams, but I use it as a trail camera, and I set it up in my backyard in Newton, and every night, I swear after April when they mate, and I wouldn't get birth the females to their pups. I would always catch one a camera around four am, and I hear them quite a bit. So they need to get moved out. It's unfortunate because of you know, they're too comfortable with humans. They will pick off a dog right in front of its owner, especially the small ones. And they're getting big. They're getting big, and.
Speaker 1: Well, I told her last hour. I don't know if you were listening, but for the audience that wasn't listening last hour. We moved into our neighborhood here this is going to be twenty years ago. We were warned about the presence of coyotes and a neighbor of ours, who was a very smart, athletic woman, had been gardening and she had a small dog in her yard off leash, I believe, and a coyote came out and grabbed the dog. And this is twenty years ago. She chased the coyote and was able to save the dog. She basically got the dog out of the coyotes mouth. This is a brave woman. She spent eight thousand dollars eight thousand dollars in surgery to repair the dog. A year later, once again, she's gardening in her backyard. The dog is there and another coyote or the same coyote came out, grabbed the dog and this time never saw the dog again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, one unfortunate part is miss I in when my I have a black lab and she was a puppy. This is you know, probably in twenty twenty three or so, I had one that was coming up to it. It was dark out, but it was coming up to me and it wasn't a third. It didn't fully approach me, but it got with intense fifteen feet. You know, if I don't want to say, you know, on the air, what I would do, you know for protection wise legally, but you can't even go after these coyotes. Mass wildlife, you know, doesn't want to recognize that there's you know, kyo wolves and hybrids and stuff like that, and it's harassment of the coyote to defend it. Basically, Well, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know that I would suggest that.
Speaker 11: When I called them no.
Speaker 1: But I'm suggesting that pepper spray is legal now in Massachusetts. I don't even think you need.
Speaker 11: I'm not talking pepper spray, but I hear you.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just saying that you need something. And I think women who are out at night should have pepper spray because I think I think it's legal. I don't even think you need an f I D card they used to need. But I think we were the last state in the Union to make pepper spray easily accessible and legal. And I just think that if you have it, and if you know how to use it, and if it's a windy night, make sure that you're not you know, got to have a spray and blow back in your face. But on a minimal there's no great wind. If something came at you, whether it was a you know, a coyote or any animal, I think that would disable them. So that's my thought. Someone to be a ball by it. But I think we've got to protect human beings and family pets before coyotes, in my opinion. I know not everyone will agree. If they don't, feel free to give us a call. Matt, I've got a schoo here. We'll let you go. Thank you man, talk soon. Thanks for appreciate you. Falling in. Let me get Christine in here. Hi, Chris, how are you tonight? Welcome?
Speaker 12: Good?
Speaker 1: You got any Christine? You got any I know you got Christine's. Do you got any coyotes in your neck of the woods?
Speaker 12: I do, we do.
Speaker 4: Oh. Oh, it's awful. And that a.
Speaker 12: Couple of years ago. We were all outside walking and during the day, and we have a neighbors. They killed the neighbor's sense and they went after this little dog. The poor dog didn't make it. Oh, it was awful see.
Speaker 13: It and hearing it.
Speaker 1: You heard you heard? You heard that attack?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah. And and the dog, the dog was helpless to defend him herself.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what what breed it was that that was killed.
Speaker 12: They said it was a you know, they got like the fluffy ears.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're beautiful dogs, cocker span those dogs.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, my feeling is we got to allow that. People should be able to trap them or have the authorities trap them and get them out of here.
Speaker 12: Have you seen them in Rockford? They're traveling in past I'm not surprised.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised.
Speaker 12: You know, we've had around two we have here. Fisher cats. Oh, it's awful.
Speaker 1: Oh, fisher cats are nasty. Nasty. I don't think I've ever confronted a fisher cat, but I'm told that is a nasty animal, even nastier than coyotes. You know, there's a minor league baseball team up in New Hampshire the I think it's the Toronto Blue Jays, a double A team in Manchester called the Manchester fisher Cats. A lot of people don't know what a fisher cat is, but that is a nasty, nasty animal to confront. Oh god.
Speaker 12: Couple a couple of weeks ago, I was leaving the German Center and this turkey was out front, and I'm like thinking, oh, no, big thing. Well, the things started chasing me, and I'm like what do I do? I Like, I was like yelling and everything, and so finally I'm like, you know what I have. I have my bag on my hand. I swung at the thing. He finally like took off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I was like, uh, people, we talked last hour about that. Turkeys, particularly just two or three of them, they get they get real brave, and they'll they'll be nasty and they'll come and they'll peck at you and really and they'll bite you. So you gotta be careful out there. It's it's it's a brave new world, Christine.
Speaker 12: Do you know this? This this woman and she was who was driving by deadim almost they need them line, and she saw this animal come out. Oh it was so mandy. And they called it a It was between the walls of the coyote, a hybrid thing. They called it a cucka bearra Wow, never heard of that. It was so gross looking like it looked like a big nest, like a big hyena. License.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 1: The world's a change in Christine. We gotta take we gotta take action here. And I really mean that. I think we should trap these and get them out of here, just.
Speaker 12: Just topt they've all let massachuts will allow it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the problem you have, all of these, you know, these folks who consider themselves to be better human beings than you and me and all. We can't bother the coyotes. So now I'm not in that camp. Christine, love your calls. We'll talk soon. Thanks so much a lot of good information in this call. Thanks, good night. All right, Well, I got Kelly in Marblehead coming up. I got Tim and Wooburn and I got some room for you. If you want to call now, feel free, But if you if you wait much longer, you'll never make it. Six one six, nine thirty. We've talked a couple of hours. A lot of coyotes spotted recently in the town of Brookline and Brookline. They're not happy about it, and that's why we're talking about it. We talked last hour with a woman who was confronted by some coyotes. Nicole Roberts. Appreciate her taking the time to join us as a guest at the top of the ten. We've had some interesting calls. Let's keep it rolling, Let's finish strong. My proposal real simple. It is time now for us to trap and relocate coyotes. Move them to parts of the state or parts of the region where be more comfortable, and we will be more comfortable when they are in other parts of the state and other parts of the region. And those of you who are listening out of New England, Laurie was kind enough to call in from Idaho. Love to hear from you. We've had a few folks from out of state tonight. John from New York called in earlier and we talked with Bernie in New Hampshire. Pat in ro the island. Feel free. We got some cops. Some lines open join us six one seven, two fat four to ten thirty six one seven. Those lines are now filled. The only line that's open six one seven, two five four to ten thirty. Back on night Side.
Speaker 10: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on.
Speaker 2: Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: All right, I don't know if we can run the table here. We're gonna give it a shot. Let's go to Kelly in Marblehead. Hey, Kelly, welcome, How are you?
Speaker 7: I'm well?
Speaker 1: How are you tell me about coyotes? Should they say or should they go?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 13: They gotta go, They gotta go. I love all the critters, but the coyotes gotta go. They they got a cat, my beloved cat, years ago, within a stone's throw of the front door. So an awful, it's devastating. And there's so many of them, so many of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's got out of control and it's only gonna get worse.
Speaker 13: And it's too and you can predict the role, you know, it turns over because they migrate to the different neighborhoods. But we'll see a zillion bunnies, tons of bunnies. Then all of a sudden, you don't seem any bunnies anymore. They've all disappeared. Oh yeah, then you'll see another run of bunnies, and then the coyotes come back after the bunnies again.
Speaker 1: But oh yeah, it's nature, Kelly, I could agree with you, boy, Thank you very much. I don't know if you're a regular caller, but I want you to become one.
Speaker 13: I love your first time first time, but I love listening. But the thing is.
Speaker 1: Too run of bause is the first time? Call it? Go right ahead? I'm sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 13: Well, I got one of those whistles on Amazon, those shrill whistles, sure you know, to walk with. And then somebody said, well is the whistle going to scare them or is it going to call them to you? So I'm like, oh, well, get.
Speaker 1: Some pepper, get some pepper spray.
Speaker 13: Yeah. Well, and but the whistle's a lot easier. I can see me holding the leash if I'm walking the dog and the bags and the flash light and hold a minute. I got to get my pepper spray and you know, spray it in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the whist although you could just put in your mouth like a referee. That'd be perfect. Here.
Speaker 13: There you go, There you go.
Speaker 1: I love it. Come on back soon. Well yeah, I really appreciate it. Thank you, well, love it. Thank you about you too, Tim and Wilbur and Tim want to get you in at least a couple more.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Tim, you won't believe this because I don't believe it. I'll listen to the program. Since eleven o'clock, right, I slept and I woke up, okay, sitting in my car and what the heck of eleven? Toy and I hadn't seen a coyote? You all winter? White comes walking up to my driver side door. For the coyotes?
Speaker 1: How about that? Huh?
Speaker 7: Timely, I haven't seen in all winter. He comes right up to the car door and he's standing there for about five or ten seconds, and he left.
Speaker 1: No, I'm glad he left him left.
Speaker 7: No. Will they attack humans?
Speaker 1: Uh? There have been very infrequent examples of that. But do I think they have the capacity? I certainly do. I think any animal has the capacity to attack a human.
Speaker 7: Wow, Now I have jack rabbits, right, bunny rabbits. Bunny rabbits a million, and then I got a million squirrels, the bunny rabbits, I get a kick out. I like them. But this guy comes walking right up to the car and I said, I'm sitting here listening to this program. I got about Kyo. He said, I love the clock and here he comes, mystic I would not.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you did not get out of the car because we don't want to lose you. Okay, okay, all right, thanks him, all right, thanks to checking in. Okay, let' see if we get a couple of more in here real quickly, Jeff and wit. Jeff, you're next to a nice I go right ahead.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm like the lady of Marblehead. But with me, it was my chicken. One came right in the yard, grabbed it. I've called the police, I've called the dog officer, and nobody wants to deal with them. They say, don't call us. So I'd like to get rid of them. But we need a plan to have people actually work on it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what we're trying to do tonight. We're trying to stir it up a little bit. Jeff. And the fact that you called in, even though you called in late, it was very helpful. Look, you know you have a right to have some domestic chickens in your yard and not have to worry about coyotes. We got to do something. We got to move them out, simple as that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Jed, thanks thanks for calling. Let me get one more in a least. Let me go to Lino in Wakefield. Lino next on nightside. Welcome.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, man, how are you doing good?
Speaker 1: We're tight on time. You've called late, but you go right ahead. You want to should coyotes?
Speaker 5: Should they go the sugo?
Speaker 1: Then sugar? That's the problem.
Speaker 6: And they don't have any predo they you know here in New England they are not even no pre only humans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're the Laurie from Idaho is making that point when when there were no other predators. Yes, they they will proliferize. Great point, Lino, first time call her, Your first time call.
Speaker 12: Her, first time call.
Speaker 1: Got to give Lino a round of applause. Here, good night, good night. I'm gonna try one more rob real quickly and we'll try to get it done quickly.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Let me go, Jimmy and Asheville. Jimmy, I'm gonna give you thirty seconds.
Speaker 8: Go all right. The big point about the coyotes. They get worse during droughts because they can't drink, and then they get especially fierce and rabid during the drought period.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. You got it in final point. Thank you much, Thank you everybody to the callers in the line. I apologize got a call earlier. We're done for the night, Rob, great job tonight, very busy night. Marie, a great job as always. My name's Dan Rayl and there's always all dogs, all cats, all pets go to him. And that's my pell Charlie rays who passed fifteen years ago. That's where all your pets are who have passed. I know you love them and they loved you, and I believe you'll see them again. We'll see again tomorro night on Night's side. Have a great Thursday. Everyone. Please stay dry and stay safe. Drive safely tomorrow. Don't want to lose any night side listeners. I'm on Facebook at a couple of minutes