Speaker 1: This is the seventy seven WABC Mini Cast. Thomas cannipp is one of our great attorneys. We have them all on this show. You know, Alan Dershowitz, Joseph Tacopina, Author Idalla, even my buddy Jose Baiez down in Miami. But cannipp is as good as it gets. Remember he served as an assistant District Attorney under Janine Piro. He was a nominee for the Manhattan District Attorney. He got screwed by the Republican Party or the fat, stupid racist Alvin Bragg won. He also served in our Army National Guard, the Judge Advocate the general in that corps. A veteran of the Iraq War, He's a hero. He earned the Army Commendation Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Medal.
Speaker 2: Look at this.
Speaker 1: He's the recipient of the Ronald Reagan Award for the Advancement of Individual Liberty, the Marine Corps League Appreciation Award, and as an inductee, this is the biggest one. All you ready for this, the massive Peakua High School Hall of Fame. Come on now. Undergrad University of Rochester law work at Hofstra. Also swore in Vicki Palladino. This guy does it all. And Dave works with Steve Razor, a pretty good guy as well. And he's an author, and he's got a new book out the name of the book is Tuxedo Park, and I'm excited to tell to talk about it. Here is my good friend Tom Kaniff Thomas. Good morning, buddy, how are you?
Speaker 2: Good morning? Say it and as always, thank you for your overly gracious introduction. I don't know who that guy was you were talking about. I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Did you really do all you could?
Speaker 2: Get? You?
Speaker 1: All that is? Is that true? All that stuff? I mean, you blow me away.
Speaker 2: I thought I was a big deal from one of my hockey one of my favorite hockey movies, slap Shots. That's what it said me your book.
Speaker 1: And of course you know, on top of all that, most people really do know you because you took on that Daniel Penny case Ew and Razor and every decent human being, every decent human being knew that Daniel Penny was a hero that day on the subways. And the guy was not the guy that died. It's unfortunate he died. We do this all the time, right, whether it's pretty or Good in Minnesota, or this guy on the train. We don't want to see people die, but sometimes they do. And in this case, Daniel Penny was a hero. But for some reason you and raise her. How to convince this moron Alvin Bragg, and you know, after I indicted him to that was the truth and you did do it. So I would say that of all the great things you've done, the Daniel Penny verdict is probably at the very top of your list.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, that's certainly, that's certainly what I'm knowing for. You know, it's funny. It was on John Katsmethes's show last weekend. He brought me on to talk about the book very graciously, and he was kind of going through my resume like you did. And then I start talking about the book and he goes, but tell what you're really known for. Well, you know, yeah, I guess the Daniel Penny thing. But hey, I want to talk about the book.
Speaker 1: Well, it's true that Daniel Penny thing was a big deal. Now this book is just the first time you've written a book.
Speaker 2: I should know this. I don't. No, yeah, absolutely, finally you don't know that. And it absolutely is my first time writing a book. I've written a lot as an attorney, but this is, you know, my first delve into the fiction genre, if you will. And you know, it's something that I conceived of in concept many many years ago, actually when I was still working for gene and you know, I did a little. I put it aside. Life happens, kids happen, marriage, marriage happens, and big trial like Daniel Penny. But I never you know, I never walked away from it. And then in the last two years, I said, you know what, I really think I have something here. I had some very pre eminent authors and a couple of very prominent publishers I knew through professional circles that kind of were willing to do me a favor. I so, like, you, take a look at this, be brutally honest. I have a day job, and you know, it was just resounding. Everyone you know, looked at it and said, this is this is fantastic. You got to finish this.
Speaker 1: I did, and it looks great. I saw the video and we'll discuss the book in a second, but you aren't talking about the very real possibility of making this great book Tuxedo Park into a movie and somebody said to me, mayben you that that may be a part available for you said in this movie? Is that all it says is that something you guys are really looking at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm serious on both counts, because the one one thing I get from everybody who's gotten a danced copy of the book and read it, and I know you you looked over it and so forth, is that this is a cinematic story. This is like made for the big screen. And what the publishing company did, which has gotten kind of popular now because you can now do things a lot more cost efficiencily in the world of AI as far as putting together with the book trailers which are like a movie trailer for a book. So they engaged a company and I know you saw the trailer.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what a great trailer.
Speaker 2: It came out great, Tom. I'm like, this is incredible, you know so, and the good thing is between you and me, well you and me and your audience a million people. I retained the movie rights in that contract, so you know, we've had some very casual kind of conversations with people. It's very early the book, you know, first as to make it make its mark, and I think it will. But to your second point, I could never be part of a movie without trying to find a part for Sid Rosenberg. And I think I got one boy and Eddie he's a little bit of a villain.
Speaker 1: I can do that. I play a mobster in every movie I'm in.
Speaker 2: You do you play a mobster and all that? So this guy is you know, you wouldn't be playing the protagonist. But who's you know, the kind of imperfect hero of the book. But I got a character for you.
Speaker 1: I love that, and most heroes are imperfect. And the protagonist. I guess people read the book and say, maybe that's you. Thomas Canniff. His name in the book is John Palmer, but he's a Manhattan a da. I wonder where you got that from. So is it fair to assume that John Palmer the star of this book is Thomas Canniff in print?
Speaker 2: Well, look, I think any You know what I've learned about writing from from speaking with some of the really the best people out there, is that, you know, good writers always put a little bit of their own experiences. You know, he's a term lived experience. I hate that term, but you know, into their work because it creates the reality of it. And you know, I think that this is a going to be a breakout hit. I think it's gonna be a great novel. But you know, not everyone's going to love your work. And you gotta have thick skin and you got to be willing to accept critics. But one thing I will not accept is someone telling me that, oh, yeah, this book isn't realistic. This isn't real because there's so much in it that I've taken from a bit for my personal life. My uncle built houses in Tuxedo Park when I was a kid. My grandmother lived up there. I'd be slept up there every weekend. That's why I thought it would be a great place to set a you know, murder conspiracy, knapping conspiracy case, a very sort of surreal place. But you know, the legal stuff that's in there, so much of that has been taken from you know, what I've experienced in twenty five years prosecuting, defending in Manhattan, New York City and other places, being in the in the Jaghorn, in the military. There's touches of that in there. So the the realism thing can't be criticized in my opinion, No, not the realism.
Speaker 1: But but what you've never done, though disrespected Daniel Penny, is at least I don't think you have is represent the president, well the president elect of the United States, in a criminal trial. So this cower through in the book, This guy Kent Dawson, who at least in the AI video looks every bit the part without giving away too much, this will turn out to be a criminal investigation for the president. Now, Joe Tacopino, def friends of both the Bars, one of my best friends. He represented President Trump twice. But I wasn't for murder for kids happening. So in terms of realism, is that realistic in a book like this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, look, I mean no question that this is a work of fiction. You know, there were people who approached me and said, hey, why don't you do a book on the Daniel Penny case and this and that, and I said, yeah, I'm not really ready to do that. So there's a work of fiction. But the means and the methods I describe are very much anchored in what this would look like if something like this occurred. So in other words, the plot is, you know, John Palmer is a young prosecutor who gets sort of drawn into an investigation of the disc the kidnapping of his teenage girlfriend from you know, his teenage girlfriend from twenty years ago. And as he gets further into the investigation, it's it leads he starts discovering theory that evidence that leads back to the president of the left of the United States as being the person who perpetrated or conspired to do this in order to get his pregnant mistress out of the way pregnancy. Yeah, and it's this race against five because it starts out he's just he's you know, put quick quote, he's he's just the nominee or is about to become the nomination.
Speaker 1: You know, Well, what you just told me is not only thrilling, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Speaker 2: Any of that. It's not out of real of possibility. And one of the things why I personally think that this book was kind of meant to be is I first conceived and write the book, but it concede of the concept and wrote a bit about it, you know, before even Trump won, before anyone had ever you know, talked seriously about indicting a president or a former president or president to be and then you know, through the years, as I'm going back to this, these things are happening, and you know it's interesting. I mean the book I finished writing it a couple of years ago, but the editing process, finding an agent, the agent, shopping to a publisher, that takes years in of itself, believe it or not. And I just look at the things that happened in the last year, you know, tragically, you know, the Nancy Gunthrey case. You know, there's elements of of you know, that sort of thing in this book that the Eric Slowell you know, you know you have this is, you know, a philandering politician. So there's a lot of things. Again, work of fiction, no question, but there's a lot of things that themes in the book that are kind of like very of the moment as far as what's going on in reality or what has been going on in the public sphere of political sphere over the last months and years. So in fact, act, there was some push to you know, change the name of the book from Tuxedo Park to Indictment, because the I would just jump off the page. Trump was indicted and all that, and you know, I pushed back a little bit because of the book did a personal meaning to me, and I said, look, you, I'd really like to call it Tuxedo Park. I dedicated it to my late mother, and you know a history there and ultimately I won that battle. Was publisher,