Speaker 1: Amazing chef and radio show host and author and Samolier and all these other crazy things. Chef Jamie Gwen, welcome to the Fork Report.
Speaker 2: That's enough.
Speaker 3: Thank you please.
Speaker 1: I wasn't going to read the whole list. We only got a couple of segments.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty impressive bio. I wrote for myself. Way to do it, I did. I'm very glad to talk to you, friend. I'll take friends that I find honored and flattering. So thank you, Neil, Thank you for having me with you. I'm with you. By the way, we have got to support our communities right now. We have to go out and eat. We have to experience new chefs and support multiple cuisines and expand our palettes. It is imperative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that makes us. You know, we learn about ourselves as we grow up. We turn away from you know, pizza and mac and cheese and not far away do we turn, But we learned about other things. And you have an event coming up this month, and I've seen you at Ben had your food at many many events. Are they still fun to do? Are they still fun to represent and be a part of?
Speaker 2: They are totally fabulously fun to do and I will tell you of all the wonderful things you and I get to do my one on one experiences with other food lovers and great cooks and listeners and TV watchers, because like you, I've had the privilege to be on TV and the radio for a really long time sharing my passion. That interaction is such a high for me, like Palm Desert Food and Wine Asden Food and Wine, South Speech like I love the interpersonal connections. I love the camaraderie that I have with my chef friends like you, and I know you love it too. So yes, I am the crazy person that thought, oh I should do this. And there is backstory too. I hear the same thing that you hear. So we had a pandemic. I had a baby eleven years prior to the pandemic. Yes, as you know, my child is not at the Palette place where he is a beach thought beyond mac and cheese and chicken pember But I'm sure he'll get there, and even though his mommy is a chef. Right. But I mean, I was locked up for two years by choice, and when I started venturing out. I have the absolute blessing of living in paradise in Newport Beach, and my friends were all whining that they really missed Newport Beach food and wine, and I think we all did start to miss those events, experiences, new flavors, camaraderie, like all the things we're talking about. And I think I had one too many martinis that night, so don't do that. Because I yielded to the peer pressure, because they said, well, Jamie, you should bring it back. They're your friends, why not. The chef's all you know all these years, and Food Network and HSN, et cetera. And I threw my hands in the air and said, fine, well, mind you. It's a beast, but it will be the most glorious, curated, gastronomic experience that Orange County has ever seen it. If it doesn't give us a heart attack, I have the absolute blessing as well. My best girlfriend from childhood is the top event planner, one of them, a celebrity chef, a celebrity event planner in LA. Her name is Nicole Hirsty and you know her friend million dollar listing in house slides of Beverly Hills. So when I called her and said, guess what we were doing? She's my best friend, Like she had no out at all. I was like, say, will be yeah right. So we created Relish and it is almost two years in the making and it is our inaugural year, and it will be a truly delicious weekend long gastronomic experience of twelve events, from masterclasses to a sushi and donuts Sunday brunch. That's my dream. By the way, Neil and big time chefs that are full of passion as well are gracing Relish, like Scott Conant and Tyler Florence so that you can sit and savor right next to them an opening night cocktail party. I mean we have just everything you know, truly delicious.
Speaker 1: Plant Relishfood Wine dot com, relishfood wine dot Com telling you right now about an event coming up that you need to put on the books right now. It's the Relish Food and Wine Festival. You can find out more at Relishfood wine dot Com. Also the same on Instagram as well, and here to tell you more about it at the Helm herself, chef Jamie Gwen Chef. So I'm going through uh the ig feed for the Reli Food Wine event and see that, Oh my god, and you've got patre chef Zach Young, the engineer, the chef behind the pike ca Aken is going to be out there as well.
Speaker 3: It just looks like it's going to be. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think there's something different when it's put on by someone like yourself, when it's helmed by someone who has gone to these things in every form, from you know, teaching and doing demos, to showing your food off to cooking in front of people, guest speakership, maybe doing your show from there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm.
Speaker 1: Excited because I think that these events need to be shaken up a bit, and I think that you at the Helm is the right.
Speaker 3: Listen to this, watch this ingredient to make it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just analogy. You flatter me. No, sorry, not sorry. I appreciate that very much. I mean the passion and the time and the energy that has gone into curating, culminating, producing, spearheading relish like you. I mean, I have a lot of full time jobs. This is a you know, this is a major full time job. But it is a celebration of the world class culinary scene for sure that we have planned and I thank you for that because you're right. I think we take all of our experiences and try to culminate the best of the best food memories we have when we go to create something ourselves. And that applies to a dish, a recipe for a weekend long, you know, gastronomic experience, and it is the best of cooking demos and the best of winemaker seminars and spirits tastings and master classes in cheese and chocolate and Vodkan caviaar, all sprinkled throughout a weekend. But thank you for that compliment. I'm still reeling on what you were talking about. Do you know that I'm a girl at the grill? Neil? I will humbly tell you I have won a barbecue competition or two.
Speaker 1: Oh, Now, I have actually known that you do enjoy the grill. But did I know that you want a competition?
Speaker 3: I did not.
Speaker 2: Do you want to know what I'm making tonight? Can I share it? Yeah? Thank you? Because you said ninety degrees. That's what I do as Jenn in front of the barbecues of everybody. Right, Okay, I like to smoke with rosemary on the grill. You don't need a smoking box an aluminum pan. You don't even need wood chips, but you know as well as I do that you throw fresh rosemary on the grill grapes and it catches on fire and it views infuses flavor. Right, this is my best one ingredient wonder grilled appetizer. Because you already have honey and balsamic in your pantry, so you know those ingredients don't count. You need to go get yourself a keel Bossa, the smoke sausage that I never met anybody that doesn't love. And you literally take the kill bossa out of the package or from the butcher preferably if you have one, and you throw you preheat the grill to medium high. You throw the rosemary springs on the grill and you poke the kill bossa. Because I like more smoke flavor, I like to poke it with the tip of the pairing knife. You can use the tooth pick or a skewer, and I lay the kill bossa right over the top of the smoking rosemary. Now, not only do you get a smoked rosemary facial, which is quite lovely, really, but you infuse the kill bossa with this herbaceousness that piles on on top of the smoke of the sausage and I start to glaze it when it starts to blister with a combination of equal parts honey and balsamic vinegar, and not three four five minutes later at most. You take it off the grill, you cut it into bites, five pieces, You pour yourself a drink. Well, you should already have one, And I'm telling you you've got the best rosemary smoked honeyballsamic glazed kossa one ingredient wonder.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm gobsmacked that sounded.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you something.
Speaker 1: If you had an eight hundred number where people could call you and hear you talk about that dish, you would you would make a mint flatter me?
Speaker 2: Really? Wow, boy friend is not gonna like that idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah he will. He gets in on the.
Speaker 1: He'll just be sitting in the back one like this, Yeah baby, and he'll be he'll be your hype man.
Speaker 2: Very proud to tell you, Neil as well. But we are the first ever Relish the Culinary event upcoming June twenty seven to twenty nine, Newport Beach. We're the first ever Orange County event to have James Beard backing. Wow. In this industry, you know how important James Beard Foundation and The James Beard House has been in bringing chefs up in the world and they really do support and teach and nurture new talent. So we are very excited for the charitable affiliation as well. With a you know, very diverse mission of the James Beard Foundation and associated with Relish, I'm very proud of that. We have incredible sponsors that have made it possible, of course, and it's going to be a truly scrumptious weekend and we can't wait to have you there. So you know you Neil and all of your listeners, tell your friends please, you don't want to miss it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it is June Friday, June twenty seventh, Saturday, June twenty eighth. You can see the rundown. You can go on Instagram to Relish Food Wine, or you can.
Speaker 3: Go to Relish.
Speaker 2: As well. Don't make yes.
Speaker 1: Friday Saturday Night. Yeah, how could I forget it? Just is a wonderful lineup and there's education to be had along with great food as well. Learn about cheeses, learn about wines, Educate your mouth a little bit more and your taste buds as well as enjoying yourself Again Relishfood, Wine Dot com. This event is at the helm of Jamie Gwen and her friends. Obviously calling in people that you know everybody, but you're calling in people that you know are going to bring fun and facts and a good time.
Speaker 3: And it's very easy to see on.
Speaker 1: The website Relishfood Wine dot com.
Speaker 3: Chef Jamie Gwen, I appreciate you taking the time. I do. I do.
Speaker 1: I've always been a fan of listening to you talk about food, food and enjoying the food that I've had the pleasure of eating. And I just was so thrilled when i got the press release that this was taking place.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh my gosh, this is finally very kind. You're putting on shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, final, finally, but oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: You know, I've long been a Fok Report fan, and I've long been a fan of yours, and I'm very grateful. Thank you for having me, thank you for championing Relish. Thank you for allowing me to share a grilled recipe in the middle.
Speaker 3: Of other conferenceations.
Speaker 2: Oh no, all are the things that excite us, right.
Speaker 3: I'd sit back and listen. I really do.
Speaker 1: And I know it's a mutual appreciation day to day, but I really do appreciate what you've done here in Los Angeles on radio and paving the way for others like me to talk about food. So you keep doing great things. And Relish is going to be on the twenty seventh, twenty eighth, and twenty ninth in Newport Beach.
Speaker 3: Put this in your calendar.
Speaker 1: Make sure you go because this is not, you know, your run of the mill type event. So uh, greatest of luck your way, Jamie, and we will talk again.
Speaker 2: I look forward to it. Thank you for letting me grace your show. Thank you, Neil, Thanks, thank you,